Speaker 1: Following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is Mick Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com.
Speaker 3: And the official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 1: Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: It is yet another beautiful day in Paradise. Here inside the sw BBC podcast studio at the Star in Frisco. This is mix Shots. If we can get Mickey and Everson off their phones and focus on the task at hand, we will start Steelers Week.
Speaker 2: Here Steelers Week.
Speaker 5: Nan checking to see if he needed to come out of the bullpen again.
Speaker 6: No, we're good, Nate, Thank you sir. All right, we don't need any replacements.
Speaker 4: It's the return of Everson Walls. And despite what happened at the cot and Ball on Saturday night, he still has his grambling football proudly displaying the colors.
Speaker 2: What happened five overtimes?
Speaker 4: Five overtime game against Prairie View Panthers.
Speaker 6: Okay, our rivalry in the swack Uh Conference and my dad went to preview.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, there's a rivalry.
Speaker 2: Walls family, right by your classic. I got worried about Southern Uh huh.
Speaker 6: You know when it comes to Southwest Classic, I have to worry about Prairieview.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm representing.
Speaker 6: Very well, but we lost in five over times on Saturday night.
Speaker 5: Were you ready to rush the field if you want to?
Speaker 2: No, I was not. I was not rushing anything.
Speaker 6: As a matter of fact, I think I might have missed but two overtimes myself talking trash to somebody you know in the stands.
Speaker 4: So who was more importantly who won the Battle of the bands?
Speaker 6: And how oh man GRANDMPA, oh way, oh way, always there you go. Even my dad would agree on that, bless u.
Speaker 4: So yeah, well here we are, and I've done a lot of research on the Pittsburgh Steelers this morning. Have you getting ready for the week? And you know, it's not often we get this matchup. It just comes there once every four years. Basically, could happen more often with the seventeenth game now, but it's not happening this year in the seventeenth game. It's because the Cowboys and the NFC East are playing the AFC North and so they met in twenty twenty, and they met in twenty sixteen and Dak Prescott's only faced him one time, and we had some footage of Dak Prescott shaking hands with Mike Tomlin after the game after a Cowboys victory at Pittsburgh his rookie season, and it was amazing to see how young Dak Prescott really eight years ago. Yes, but it's good fun week Sunday Night Football. There's a reason these two franchises are on Sunday Night Football this week.
Speaker 2: That's a throwback that's going way back. By this, all.
Speaker 5: Their Super Bowl meetings.
Speaker 4: Right going back to the seventies and also in the nineties.
Speaker 5: What was it three four four for Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: No, they won, Yes, and they met in the seventies, yes, twice.
Speaker 5: Right, seventy five r seventy.
Speaker 4: Eight, seventy eight, and then ninety victory in Super Bowl thirty ninety five.
Speaker 2: I forgot about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we also.
Speaker 4: You were still a part of the organization just as an alumni.
Speaker 5: Right, he was officially alumni by ninety five.
Speaker 2: In seventy five, I was a fan.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, seventy eight you were too.
Speaker 6: The five I don't think I was even playing sports really, No, you didn't.
Speaker 4: Play sports until your junior year in high school.
Speaker 6: Well, I tried out you play you play basketball, Well, yeah, definitely got kicked off the basketball team.
Speaker 4: You played baseball more than once.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't play baseball.
Speaker 4: You talked about what great center fielder you were. That was just pick up games in Heildon bar.
Speaker 2: Oh, No, I said that in little Okay, you.
Speaker 4: Did play sports before, except you don't consider little league sports to be sports. Well, you didn't play varsity, but I didn't think.
Speaker 2: Of it to being a winner versus you know, knowing.
Speaker 4: That they didn't keep scoring.
Speaker 2: They kept scoring, but you know, you didn't know where it was.
Speaker 4: That was before you kept school.
Speaker 2: At that age.
Speaker 6: The truth, Yeah, the truth tends to be very flexible.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so we we got visual evidence yesterday of the Cowboys injury situation. We did, and it's not a good thing.
Speaker 4: He was rolling on a scooter.
Speaker 5: See two guys rolling on a scooter with a boot.
Speaker 2: On, right, So I wouldn't even want that thing.
Speaker 5: So DeMarcus Lawrence is heading to injured reserve, which will open up a spot on the fifty three man roster. And they were in the myths of scouring other teams practice squads to maybe poach somebody.
Speaker 4: Okay, we might have a report on that by three o'clock this afternoon.
Speaker 5: Or probably by twelve forty eight, course as soon as we finish, and so they'll open up a roster spot and then probably try to find somebody. I mean, they need they need numbers defensive ends, because the only defensive end on the practice squad is Carl Lawson. He has one more elevation. We'll see how he does.
Speaker 4: I predict that the Cowboys will probably sign kJ Henry to a two year deal off the Bengals practice squad.
Speaker 5: It's already out there.
Speaker 4: I'll just predict that that I really think that the guy they ought to go care. I'm just saying that. I just think that the guy that they probably should go for is uh. I think there's a guy in the Cincinnati practice squad and a guy named kJ Henry, And in fact, if I were going to do it, I think I would go ahead and sign him to a two year contract, and I think he would be the.
Speaker 5: Answer to the reported that they.
Speaker 4: Signed him to. Well let me check, let me check and see if there's any reports out there about it. But yeah, kJ Henry is the guy that I have my eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stealing.
Speaker 4: Oh, Jeremy Fowler of ESPN is wrong there. It is signing pass rusher cagej Henry to a two year deal on the active roster off the Bengals practice squad person is theft.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, breaking news, breaking news, Bill Jones.
Speaker 4: I was just I was just saying, that's the guy I would stay.
Speaker 5: It turned out the guy's on a practice squad. He'll save the day.
Speaker 4: Actually, I had someone else yesterday that I told Mickey that that's the guy that I would go after, and they yeah, but I can't say who that person.
Speaker 6: Well, the problem is with Michael Pausums. Of course, you're thinking about two different positions. Almost you know you have to sign someone. You're not going to sign another Michael Pawsums off a practice squad.
Speaker 2: So it's almost like you gotta signed two people. I don't know.
Speaker 6: You got to bring in someone back and be steady at defensive end. And then also we need someone that can rush the pass on third down.
Speaker 5: Well, what they're probably looking for is that rush the passer on third down, Okay, because they'll fulfill the regular down spots with Marshawn nieland on one side, he's by the way, yeah, and Chauncey Golston on the other I don't know that they look see. And the problem was a lot of the snaps that Kneeland was getting, they were moving them inside on the nickel a pass rusher third down nickel situations. But now if he's outside, you kind of lose that ability to move him inside. And I don't know that they have another big pass rusher they can move inside.
Speaker 4: You gotta like kJ Henry. He played for Brent Vinables at Clemson.
Speaker 2: So oh well, okay, so we must like him.
Speaker 4: You've got to like him. He comes from that of defensive.
Speaker 5: What's this history he assuming? You got it there?
Speaker 4: I have it right here, and let's give you some details on kay J Henry sixty four, two hundred and fifty five pounds out of Clemson, and he was a fifth round draft pick last year of the Washington Commanders and with Cincinnati on the practice squad this year. So he was at Washington. Let me check on this. Did Quinn cut him this year? He was released as part of the final cuts with the Washington Commanders this year. So in August, a month ago, dan Quinn cut him. He was claimed off waivers by the Bengals waved on September seventeenth and re signed to the Cincinnati practice squad, so he has been on. He was on the Bengals active roster the first week of the season, maybe the first two weeks. September seventeenth, he was waived and resigned to the practice squad. And he okay, pre draft measurables six ' four in a quarter, two hundred and fifty one pounds with thirty three inch arms and ten inch hands like Everson Walls sounds like four six three forty and the other measurables are.
Speaker 5: And how many rounds did he play last year.
Speaker 4: For Washington wells yep, four six three, because obviously his twenty yards shut as cone draw was not great, but that could be because he didn't.
Speaker 5: How many tackles did he have last year?
Speaker 4: Well, I've got to look up his stats now, and so.
Speaker 5: That's not part of that big No.
Speaker 4: It's nineteen tackles last year he was He had ten games, three starts with Washington last year, nineteen tackles, four tackles for lost, two quarterback hits, one and a half acts last year in limited time. Let's see how many snaps he had two hundred and eighty two snaps on defense last year, eleven snaps this year on defense in two games with Cincinnati ka j Henry So he reportedly headed this way.
Speaker 5: So he got beat out by Dante Fowler and Dorince Armstrong. Okay in Washington. Why he got cut.
Speaker 4: Well, what you do on that is you follow the money. They're not going to cut Durrance Armstrong and Nante Fowler after spending money on.
Speaker 5: Well, that's on them. They spent the money, so.
Speaker 2: That you know what happened.
Speaker 4: I think with kJ Henry is they probably wanted to get him to.
Speaker 2: The practice squad and didn't make it, and he.
Speaker 4: Didn't make it. He got signed by Cincinnati, and then it becomes.
Speaker 5: A well, at least it's a body that's been practicing and actually played right. There's no ramp up there.
Speaker 4: And so they looked at the landscape the all the practice squads in the league, and this is the guy they either wanted or could. Of course, guys on practice squads also have their option of signing.
Speaker 5: There or not well, and the reason why they signed them to a two year deal is basically he's getting minimum and so he gets two years. In case you hit like Cavante Turpin. When the Cowboys picked him up, they signed him to a three year deal. Okay, and he's still on his original contract even though he became an All a Pro Bowl punt or kick returner. As his agent told me, I said, how do you sign a three year deal? He goes, well, no one else is knocking on your door. Whatever they offer you, you.
Speaker 4: Sign, Everson. Remind me because I've missed you here in the last week. So to William, but were you here Friday?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, So we did get your take on the Giants game. Yes, okay. That's how memorable that take was for me.
Speaker 6: You know, after that game, I'm thinking, you know, well we got to win. It's you know, it was something that we needed. I could have sworn we lost. I could have sworn that we lost.
Speaker 4: The narrative after the game, man.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 6: My son and I talk about it all the time, just how unique we are as a team and how uniquely we're covered. No one is talking about Joe Burrows and how the Bengals are playing.
Speaker 5: Winds are not valued.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, when it comes to us, when it comes.
Speaker 6: To us against the Giants, Yeah, well I thought they said the Giants were pretty good. If I recall that was some positive narrative out there about the Giants.
Speaker 4: By the way they had won the week before and the week before that, they held Jaden Daniels from scoring a touchdown in.
Speaker 2: This game, basically the field goal.
Speaker 4: That's right, Washington, Washington did not score a touchdown. This great Jaden Daniels, who's now the leading candidate to be the MVP in the league, by something. He couldn't find the end zone against the Giants.
Speaker 2: The wait before.
Speaker 4: They had seven field goals and the only reason the Giants lost that game was their kicker pulled a hamstring on the opening kickoff of the game. Yeah, that's right, and so but that wasn't a good win over the Giants any win to me, And this won't be a good win win. This won't be a good win over Pittsburgh either on Sunday night because the Steelers just lost.
Speaker 2: And then but then also it's a divisional win.
Speaker 6: You gotta go with that you have anytime on the road, thank you, anytime that that happens. I don't care what your team looks like. Divisional play is if he had best.
Speaker 4: It's if he at best. And it's also important when it comes to the end of the season as far as tiebreakers. In fact, if you go back you get to the end of the season, that lost to Baltimore is not not nearly as bad as the loss to New Orleans because the New Orleans was a conferences out of conference losses, they don't come back to bite you during tiebreaker season.
Speaker 6: It's like Janus, like George Bush said, Man, you got to have strategy, you know, kind of if you kind of do this, you know there's a method to the madness. We we you know, there was a way to win it. But the fact that we did win it on the road, that is something you just don't sneeze at.
Speaker 2: It's something that should.
Speaker 4: Be on a short week on the r Come on, man.
Speaker 6: All of that, you see all of that? No one, we got no credit for that. So regardless, we know we never will but I know that within the Cowboys camp, of course, yes, we still have work to do, but that win is a good win.
Speaker 4: Mickey, as we wrap up this first segment, I've got a lot I want to get to about the Pittsburgh Steelers. I listened to Mike Tomlin's press conference on the way in and but is there something else that you would like to throw out there in this first segment.
Speaker 5: Just the fact that you know Micah wasn't going to just I can't play. It's like if I can, I will, but it sounds like he can't. I mean, if you see that big old booties got on.
Speaker 6: The fact that he can't go, that lets you know what has rightly.
Speaker 5: Because he ain't missing a game, right, that's right because somebody told him would it makes sense that you missed the next one, and then get the buye and he goes, hey, you only get seventeen of these, and he goes, if I can go, I'm going I'm not looking at it like, well, the best thing to do would be to sit out again.
Speaker 6: I don't think they talked him out of it. I think he knew he could not go. Oh, there's no talking him out there.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's on a scooter, right, kneeling down, scooting along like I did it when I tore my achilles, right, and you are how long?
Speaker 2: Let's do this a little different.
Speaker 6: Stop comparing your injury to especially Michael.
Speaker 5: I'm not I'm just saying I know what it's like, scooter. I know what it's like to be on that scooter.
Speaker 4: And yet the game is Sunday night and this is Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Right, so he got a lot of time.
Speaker 4: Uh huh. I would not I would not count that. And by the way, by the way, listening to Mike Tomlin, he's not counting it out either, because he knows a little something about what Michael Parsons is made of.
Speaker 5: I got you.
Speaker 6: He's a a a Mike Thomas type of player, exactly right, Mike Thomas.
Speaker 4: All right, and when we come back here, let me ask you this, when was the last time the Pittsburgh Steelers had a losing season? Think about that. We'll have the answer for you. We come back on mixed shots and just them mom.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 7: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, but lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie and crypto with blockchain dot com quick throw.
Speaker 5: My goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot Com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Miller Lite is brewed with great taste and only great tape.
Speaker 5: The Miller Brewing Company would like to issue a correction.
Speaker 3: Miller Light is brewed to be less feeling.
Speaker 4: What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: Miller Lite tastes great.
Speaker 9: Look, I'm just reading the script.
Speaker 3: It says less filling.
Speaker 4: That's not what my script says. Hell mindset.
Speaker 2: We'd like to apologize for the previous announcers. Middle Light is in fact less filling and taste great. I'm be shy, legal guy. Celebrate Responsiblely.
Speaker 1: Milwaukee, Wisconsin Beer ninety six thousand to be point of Gram's cards for twelve bounces, fewer Cowson cars the premium regular.
Speaker 3: Beer de mixed shots.
Speaker 6: The schedule was set and limited tickets for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys season at at and T Stadium available now. Don't miss your chance to see your Cowboys live at at and T Stadium when they host the NFC East rival Eagles, Giants and Commanders plus the Ravens, Lions, since Bengals, and Bucks. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com, slash tickets or SeatGeek dot com, the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: You'll see that copy there, did is it say Saints and Ravens? Well the other pen yeah in the read Yeah, here here's a pen. Scratch tho everyone, Yes, scratch out Saints and Ravens because those have already had right, don't be buying all right? And the next one is the Lions. And by the way, the Lions played last night on a double header of Monday Night Football and a great Gang. And Jared Goff was eighteen for eighteen in a Lions victory, and he caught a touchdown, and he caught a touchdown Brown. That's the first time in his career, to answer your question, and the first time Saint Brown has thrown a touchdown.
Speaker 6: Pass, which was an excellently timed past. I am that dude. I am that guy.
Speaker 5: He'll hang on to it.
Speaker 4: Where're just going from and ever since? Now giving me my pen back.
Speaker 5: A guy throws eighteen for eighteen two ndred ninety two yards and two touchdowns, right, and it's not even a perfect quarterback rating one fifty five point eight one fifty eight three is perfect, right, So if he had completed one more pass for say seven yards, it would have been perfect because if you add Saint Brown's touchdown pass going one for one, yes, yeah, and his seven yards as a team, their quarterback rating was perfect fifty eight three.
Speaker 4: So what's the standard.
Speaker 2: What do you have to do?
Speaker 4: You have to throw more passes.
Speaker 2: It has to be a certain certain number of passes.
Speaker 4: You have to get to nineteen passes and.
Speaker 5: Be well, it's passed. One lead in is a perfect game completed and yards? So the yards count?
Speaker 4: What it was? He so he had got his stats in provacy, his yards per attempt seven win eighteen, okay, and that's gotta be plenty.
Speaker 5: And it comes to you.
Speaker 4: Got it there?
Speaker 5: No, I didn't write that part of town.
Speaker 4: Well, I got my calculator here. What were the numbers again? Two ninety two, yeah, two ninety two divided by one to eight equals right, I think I just can't wait?
Speaker 2: Yep, you blew it.
Speaker 4: Let me try that again. To ninety two divided by one point eight, sixteen point two.
Speaker 5: It's pretty good.
Speaker 4: How is that not a perfect rating?
Speaker 5: He needed more yards or another touchdown.
Speaker 4: Sixteen point two yards per attempt isn't good enough twice. The what eight point zero is a great yards per attempt in this league, in this.
Speaker 2: Sixteen point two not per completion?
Speaker 4: Right, per attenpt time? Eight point zero is a great yards per attempt.
Speaker 5: I told you he needed one more completion.
Speaker 4: All right, there, we've just one more exposed. We've exposed that. Yeah, rating the one fifty eight point three, there's a formula that you don't that's a ridiculous formula.
Speaker 5: Completions yards, I'm sorry, touchdown.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry in eighteen out of eighteen for two hundred and ninety two yards, no picks, two touchdowns. Is a perfect passer, right, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: And he was surprised by it, by the way.
Speaker 2: And he didn't get the game ball.
Speaker 4: He got sacked three times. He had sacks.
Speaker 2: That doesn't know, and he didn't get the game ball.
Speaker 4: That's right, he did not get Dan Campbell didn't know he was perfect?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, does he have to be per See, nobody's given him love. Does he have to be perfect to get the game ball?
Speaker 4: No one's ever given Jared Goff love. Right, he took a team to the Super Bowl, didn't get love. Oh, got traded for another quarterback who did take his team to the Super Bowl out and win it. No, all right, when was the last time the Pittsburgh Steelers had a losing record?
Speaker 6: And I said, doing the break that I thought it was around twenty years.
Speaker 4: He did say that.
Speaker 2: Try to avoid.
Speaker 6: I thought they were trying to avoid a losing year maybe two years ago, and I thought they barely did.
Speaker 2: And I could be totally wrong about Mickey.
Speaker 4: What was your retort to that that.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys owned the record for twenty consecutive winning seasons.
Speaker 4: Well, let me tell you this, that's the Cowboy record.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The keyword there, not the NFL winning seasons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I said, when was the last time the Steelers had a losing record? So you factor in a five hundred record is not a losing record?
Speaker 2: True?
Speaker 4: And so the Cowboys have the record for twenty years with winning records from nineteen sixty six through nineteen eighty five. The Steelers last year to have a losing record was two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Ever, sin, but when did they have an ax?
Speaker 4: And several times they've had five hundred records during that stretch.
Speaker 2: I think that's what I was referring to.
Speaker 6: I remember them trying to avoid the first losing season in the whild but.
Speaker 4: The Cowboys didn't, and they did have one bump in the road in that twenty years span, and eight the bump in the road was an eight and six record in nineteen seventy four, which is still a winning season, and so their record is still intact well but still.
Speaker 5: Out non losing. Then you can add nineteen sixty.
Speaker 4: Five, right, and so the Cowboys non losing seasons, the Cowboys and the Steelers are at The Steelers currently are at twenty one in a row, and the Cowboys had twenty one in a row from nineteen sixty five through eighty five, five hundred and seven and seven record in sixty five.
Speaker 2: So I was right.
Speaker 4: So yes, you were Everson ding Ding ding Ding, Everson win's the prize.
Speaker 5: This week, And you realize they would have stretched it to through eighty six if Danny White didn't break his wrist.
Speaker 4: Right, So over that twenty one year period, the Cowboys had two hundred and fifteen wins and eighty six losses from sixty five to eighty five. Okay, the Steelers over the last twenty one years two hundred seven wins and one hundred and fourteen losses.
Speaker 5: Not even close.
Speaker 2: But what a.
Speaker 4: Testament to the Steelers organization to have put up that kind of right to.
Speaker 5: Do it in this area when there's a salary cap for the last thirty years, and.
Speaker 6: For those two teams to be so close closely aligned, that just lets you know, how you know, both organizations, so we expect.
Speaker 4: So year has been right, and so you look at the Steelers. Bill Cower was the coach when they last had a losing record in two thousand and three. He then made it to the AFC Championship Game in two thousand and four with a fifteen and one record, and then won the Super Bowl in five with an eleven and five record, went eight and eight and six, and then Tomlin took over in seven and Tomlin his first year ten and six, lost in the wild card. His second year in eight, they win the Super Bowl with a twelve and four record, and then, of course, two years after that they lose in the Super Bowl to Mike McCarthy and the Packers after a twelve and four regular season. Here, yeah, exactly right at and T Stadium. Now here's what's interesting too, And you compare him with the Cowboys since twenty ten, the Steelers have been to the playoffs thirteen times, and no, I'm sorry, that's over the twenty one year Over the twenty one year period, the Steelers have been to the playoffs thirteen times and won eight division titles. Going back to the Cowboys during that time, they're twenty one year period, eighteen playoff appearances and thirteen division titles. To compare those two decade eras. But since twenty ten in the postseason, the Cowboys are three and six. Okay, the Steelers are three and nine in the postseason since twenty ten.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the only the only we'll go to two thousand and nine. You get the Cowboys another victory in a.
Speaker 6: Well now, But the only thing that I see where you might have a little bit more stability in Pittsburgh is just a number of coaches, That's right.
Speaker 2: That would be the only thing, like two Yeah, you had Cower.
Speaker 4: And now Tomlin two thousand and seven, right, which leads me, no, right, yeah, Chuck, Noel, Bill Kauer and Mike.
Speaker 5: Tomlin in our lifetime.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And by the way, listening to Mike Tomlin driving in you know, it's not often that I will listen to a Mike Tomlin press conference. In fact, I might I listened to it in two thousand when the Cowboys played him that week, but I'm sure I just because the Cowboys are playing them that week, I might have just listened to him or in two thousand and six. Other than that, it was probably during super Bowl week in twenty ten. So my memory needs to be refreshed on Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: He is an impressive gal. He has his whole career, I mean, but you just listen to a press conference and you can understand why Mike Tomlin has had the success that he has had and he has been the Steelers coach for so long, just the way he conducts the press conference, the way the knowledge and his communication ability and being in charge of a situation. You know, if he hears a question that he doesn't run answering, he handles it with respect to the reporter, but at the same time, he doesn't want to go there, and so he'll let him know.
Speaker 6: And yeah, he'll let them know, right, And he has no qualms about ruining whatever plans you have and asking the question because this is Mike prestconference. But he doesn't come out as a bully, just comes out as the boss.
Speaker 2: Yep, No, and that's just the difference. And you know it's like that.
Speaker 4: In that room with the players, you know, and very very impressive.
Speaker 2: Very impressive guy.
Speaker 6: He spoke at We had a Grambling Legends Awards, and Doug Williams and Shack Harris they have always tried to remember all of those old Grambling guys that you just forget about. I mean, you know when you're talking about integration and all that kind of stuff. You know, a lot of guys get left out from the sixties and the fifties and things that nature. We try to bring them back in their family. So we have a Grambling Legends event. He was the keynote speaker. I'd say that must have been about ten years ago. He was a keynote speaker. Very impressive. The fact that Doug and Shaq chose him to be the keynote for that event. They just lets you know what kind of respect he has, you know, not just in college football, not just in the NFL, but for HBCUs as well. And he was not an HBCU coach. I think he was at William and Mary.
Speaker 4: Right, you got me on that one.
Speaker 2: Dare you Spags and I know this information. You are the man, bro.
Speaker 4: You know what I was. I was on the track to look him up, and.
Speaker 2: I think it went back.
Speaker 6: I think he was at William and Mary before he went to Pittsburgh. And you know, just the legacy at least behind is something to be whope.
Speaker 4: He went to college at William and Mary. Okay, Okay, nineteen ninety to nineteen ninety four, fifty two years old. And as a coach he was before Pittsburgh. He's a defensive coordinator with the Vikings in six. He was with the Buccaneers as the dba'st coach one through five, University of Cincinnati and Arkansas State before that, Arkansas State from ninety seven to ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Talk about it joinning.
Speaker 5: So was he with Tony Dungee?
Speaker 4: He would have been when did Dungee?
Speaker 5: Let me check on Dungee later than.
Speaker 4: That, No, Dungee was he would have been with Dungee and then Gruden as well. I think, right, let me make sure on that. Well I look that up. You can go ahead and.
Speaker 6: Well I was gonna say the one thing that was, uh.
Speaker 4: Oh, I guess we do need Let's do it all right, We'll be back and we'll have more Mike Tomlin and ever soon we'll try to find something to talk about when we come back here on mix shots in just a moment.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium, pro shops, concessions, and on Yetti dot Com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 7: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you.
Speaker 4: Wincot slides for the first down.
Speaker 7: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 4: Perfect throw my goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 7: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregames, sideline access, and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the.
Speaker 2: Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls.
Speaker 6: With Star Sports tools, you can visit Cowboys dot com to book your.
Speaker 2: Travel package today.
Speaker 3: To mixed shots.
Speaker 6: Celebrate Celebrate the best of the autumn season with Wrangler Fallfest at the Star in Frisco. Join us on Saturday, October nineteenth for a day full of fall.
Speaker 2: Fund for the entire family.
Speaker 6: Enjoy live country music, hang out in the beer garden, and compete in Western inspired games. Please capture fall photos ops, savor seasonal bites, and enjoy Wrangler. Shopping admission and parking is free. Visit the stardistrict dot com for more info.
Speaker 4: You gotta October nineteenth.
Speaker 5: Gotta ride a bull Western game? It said Western games.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I would imagine they mean like roping, maybe horseshoe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Right, that's the bye weekend.
Speaker 4: That is, so there's something for you to do on the Bible.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that means you could ride the bull and then still heal if you get injured in time for next week.
Speaker 5: There you go there, all right, don't have to put a boot on.
Speaker 4: Mike Tomlin coached with Tony Dungee one year at Tampa Bay in two thousand and one, and then Gruden took over in two I'll tell he was four years with Gruden there.
Speaker 5: So we talked yesterday about the Steelers' worries on their offensive line. I saw today that the people covering the team have a worry about their wide receiver corps because George Pickens is the dominant receiver. Yes, he's got twenty catches for two hundred and eighty four yards, it almost matches CD's twenty catches for sixteen. But their other three top receivers, Van Jefferson, Kelvin Austin the Third and Scotty Miller only have in four games combined fourteen catches for one hundred and ninety two yards, and ninety five of those yards came by Austin in one game. So they were deducing that if they don't get these other guys going like they didn't get going against Indianapolis in that loss, when those three guys only combined for three catches for thirty eight yards, they're going to struggle.
Speaker 4: There's a reason that they were mentioned in the Brandan Nayuk stories, writing it up to Brandon Nayuk finally resigning with the forty nine Ers because there's the need for a wide receiver in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: So obviously they brought up Tyreek Hill and one of the receivers at Jacksonville. So they were saying they need to make a trade. Everybody needs to make a trade. You got to have money to make a trade. And also they've been off to slow starts in.
Speaker 4: The because they don't have any wide receivers.
Speaker 5: In the four first quarters of the four games they've played, they've only scored ten points. And at one point in that loss to the Colts, I thought this was interesting. The Colts had one hundred and eighty yards in Pittsburgh had thirty eight years.
Speaker 2: Wow, well, they're like most teams.
Speaker 6: I think we're having a throwback moment here in the NFL, and nobody really wants to say it. The good teams have good defense and the running game, and that's a throwback. Everyone wants to live off your quarterback these days. But when it comes down to a Lamar Jackson, not Lamar, but the Ravens themselves have shown us the proper way to play a game is to have a good quarterback and a good running back and a good defense. But you don't have to lean on your passing game consistently. Your running game has to be the catalyst for what you do.
Speaker 2: That's just the way it is.
Speaker 6: These days, we're going right back to that, but no one wants to talk about it because quarterbacks get all of them.
Speaker 4: Ever since I was talking about this yesterday, I was specifically talking about the way the Chiefs beat the Chargers in the fourth quarter on Sunday. It was a ten to ten game and we all think about Patrick Mahomes. You can throw it all over the lot, whatever, but they won that game because they even with backup running backs, one of whom they just signed that week, Kareem Hunt, they were able to run the football and wear down the Chargers and win that game seventeen to ten because no doubt. And it wasn't because now Patrick m Mahomes had a couple of completions in there, But they were able to do that because they were able to run the football.
Speaker 6: That's what running the football does. It gives a quarterback a chance to make plays.
Speaker 4: Last night Detroit, yeah they ended up, but they only had to throw eighteen passes, right.
Speaker 5: But they ran the ball twenty eight times for one hundred and sixteen yards. And the guy that led them was sort of the second running back, Jamar Gibbs, fourteen for seventy eight. So their ability to play action run the ball allowed them to win a game completing only eighteen passes.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, when you look at it, even in the Cowboys and Giants, in the second half, we didn't score. We didn't do well. I'll put it like this. In the second half offensively we didn't do well. But what's saved this was our defense kept him out of the end zone. That's just yes, kick the field goals say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how are you kick to lose?
Speaker 2: And that's that's basically the formula for the Giants. Kicked five of they kick five.
Speaker 4: Another little note coming out of Mike Tomlin's press conference, which they're I'm sure they're going to be making a big deal of in Pittsburgh is for the first time in several weeks, he made mention of the fact that Russell Wilson is ramping it up coming off his injury and that they're going to see what he can do in practice this week with as he put it, a live pocket. Now. Justin Fields has played well here the last couple of weeks, in particular, especially the Chargers win. They were able to win twenty to ten to get to three and zero, and then this past week was the first time he had to come from way behind. They fell behind seventeen. Nothing brought him back, made some mistakes, but also showed the ability to bring his team back to make it a twenty seven to twenty four.
Speaker 6: His defense gave him many opportunities.
Speaker 5: Through for three hundred and twelve yards, right right. I got to imagine that's I've got to be close to her career for him had a quarterback rating of one oh four. So and then you're and he even led him in rushing with fifty five yards.
Speaker 4: But wow, so Tomlin. So Tomlin said that about Wilson that basically, if Russell Wilson were the only quarterback on that team, if Justin Fields wasn't there, I think Russell Wilson might be in a position where he could play this week. What it sounds like now he hasn't done it on the practice field yet, but he's now a month into the season.
Speaker 2: And what you're saying, they just they're happy not to.
Speaker 4: And and so Tomlin was asked, is Justin Field It was a question. I couldn't really hear the questions in the background listening to it on the radio, but he was asked if just Justin Field's getting to a point now where he's your quarterback in whatever. Russell Wilson's injury status is immaterial to this. And he basically said, if he keeps, if he keeps, if he keeps playing well and keeps winning.
Speaker 5: So which quarterback would you rather face?
Speaker 6: I'd rather face Russell Wilson. If I'm Pittsburgh, I'd like to stick with.
Speaker 5: Justin Fields, somebody that won three out of four games for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it'd be hard to just you know, because because like Russell Wilson hadn't established himself as a Pittsburgh quarterback.
Speaker 2: So I don't owe him, you know, a chance.
Speaker 6: I'm still going with the guy that's winning it for us, and I think the backup would help to understand that because he is a backup at this point.
Speaker 4: You know, Russell Wilson didn't play that poorly with Denver last year. I mean you look, he had twenty six touchdown passes in just eight picks.
Speaker 6: It was definitely well. They were still upset with him from the year before.
Speaker 4: It's right, so bad the year before.
Speaker 6: And then you've got Peyton coming in and he wants to establish himself and when things didn't go as way, the first thing you did was dumped on Russell right there on the sidelines.
Speaker 5: I mean they've won three games, They've only scored six touchdowns, you know, and only once scored as many as twenty points in those three winters.
Speaker 2: And that is the that's the culture of the Steelers.
Speaker 4: You know what. It's kind of interesting Justin Fields. It's not the same as the Dak romo in twenty sixteen, but it sort of it's sort of similar to it, where you've got an established quarterback in the league in Russell Wilson. Now he hasn't been established with Pittsburgh, but due to injury, Justin Fields has gotten this opportunity because had Russell Wilson not been hurt, Russell Wilson was going to be the starting quarterback to start the year, and Fields has it chance if he keeps playing well and keeps winning to keep the veteran on the bench, just like Dak did with Romo in two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: Straight. I mean, we're back, is fine.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean I'm saying if Justin Fields is able to continue this and go three and one each month, you know, the next couple of months, then he could be where that was, but Dak and the Cowboys have something to say about that, Sonny. All right, that was good. Now, Producer Supreme was not here today, and I know you could not tell because Jasmine did such a good.
Speaker 5: Fact.
Speaker 4: In fact, who knows whether Wally Producer Supreme, who by the way, is out umpiring kickball stadium and maybe Wally pipped by Jazzmine.
Speaker 5: And by the way working even though it's his birthday. Is Douglas Barrick.
Speaker 4: Club, Yes, Douglas brickl A happy birthday to Douglas putting.
Speaker 2: Me into work.
Speaker 4: That's right, all right, very good. We end on the high notes and everyone's going to sing happy birthday to close it out here. All right, we will shout at you again tomorrow at high noon here on Mixshot Oyo Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.