Speaker 1: I am all in again?
Speaker 2: How I.
Speaker 3: Am all in town? Meeting with Suzanne French and Tara sud An. iHeartRadio Podcast. Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I Am all in Podcast? What eleven Productions? Iheartradiomedia, iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 1: We have a recap episodes, Season four, episode sixteen, The Reigning laurle I Special guest Guess who Tricia o' kelly.
Speaker 2: It's me.
Speaker 3: How you doing, Tricia?
Speaker 4: I am good?
Speaker 3: How are you good? Good? Good? Good?
Speaker 1: Best known for her recurring role as Marley Erhart on the CBS sitcom The New Adventures of Old Christine. She portrayed Nicole Lahey for eight Gilmore Girls episodes.
Speaker 2: Was it eight? It was eight? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Eight?
Speaker 1: And you can see a recently on Station nineteen high potential. Welcome to the show. We had you on in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Wait was it that long ago? For some reason, I thought it was last year.
Speaker 3: It was three years.
Speaker 2: So you're doing it all over again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Amazing, Well, thank you for having me back again.
Speaker 1: The Reigning laurel I Episode sixteen, Season four, Air date March twenty twenty four. Synopsis. Richard's mother Tricks passes away, and Emily finds a scathing letter Tricks wrote to Richard the night before her and Richard's wedding that sends her over the edge. Marita Grabiac directed, written by Jane Espenson.
Speaker 3: All right, Trash, let's get into this.
Speaker 2: Can I just jump in right now and say, Kelly Bishop is a goddess?
Speaker 1: Go and Tricks is inconsolable with a scotch in his study, and he's and he's asking for a mock turtleneck suit.
Speaker 3: Suki knows how to make that.
Speaker 1: Emily starts making arrangements right away as Laurela I brings the soup in the study and she starts crying and is losing it because he regrets his.
Speaker 3: Last words to her. He says that that's.
Speaker 1: The way it ended. It was an argument. The hateful words end quote. Laurea lies with Emily going through Brand's papers. She learns that Tricks was.
Speaker 3: Already ready at Gilmore.
Speaker 1: They were second cousins, and she wants an open casket then to be cremated and split into two. Emily and Richard will have one urn and the other Ashes will be buried with her husband. Emily finds the letter Tricks wrote to Richard the night before his wedding to Emily, begging him not to marry her and reconsider penal and lot uh oh a lot again here we go. She gets extremely upset and stops planning the wedding immediately. Suki and Laura I go to Emily's and she's drinking and smoking cigarettes and in her robe, not giving a care. Meanwhile, Jason comes over to get some signatures from Richard and he hugs him very awkwardly. Today, the funeral, Emily is still drunk and Richard is still moping around. Rory helps him get ready because Laurel I realize should give underwear to the funeral home, so she goes to Victoria's Secret to get one and has a meltdown. We meet Marilyn Gilmore, but it's the same actress as Tricks Gilmore, Marion Ross, and she asks about the bar glasses and tells stories about Tricks. What a you know, Trish, What a fun role that must have been to play talk about to talk about your dead character in that way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Delicious, I mean, and she is just I mean, what an icon. Marion Ross is, right. I got to work with her on Christine. I don't remember whose mom she played on that show, but she's just you know, we grew up with her, right, and yeah, just amazing this at this whole episode was just so fun to rewatch, so good and every time I see this show, I am just Kelly Bishop is just one of the greatest, and this episode in particular, I thought she was just you know, Amy worthy, so good.
Speaker 1: Well, she's back to normal, Emily is. She still seems upset, but then Richard tells her he doesn't want the ashes to be on the mantle. As you've stated, these performances Tricia by Ed and Kelly were outstanding in this episode with the range of emotions they.
Speaker 3: Had to portay. Well, you know, but let's talk about you.
Speaker 1: Know, a lot of what the fans loved seeing is a day drunk Emily.
Speaker 3: Did you did you like seeing her let loose a little bit? Or was it?
Speaker 2: I loved it? Yeah, I loved it. And when they showed her with a cigarette without you know, you know, I d A, I d g A. What is it?
Speaker 3: I can't swear right and you can swear all you.
Speaker 2: Like, just with a cigarette with an I don't give.
Speaker 3: A let's all swear and she was just looking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can we please God? That would make my life so much easier if we can just swear through this hole this whole episode. But yeah, just also just like what she was wearing, and she just looked like so seventies you know, I still you know, ice storm kind of with this cigarette. It was so good good.
Speaker 1: This letter is brutal, yes, and is widening the crack between Richard and Emily after Emily learned about the lunches, oh with the notorious pendulum.
Speaker 2: Lot And what a great name by the way, right right, perfect name for a nemesis.
Speaker 3: Do you think this is the turning point in their marriage?
Speaker 2: No, I mean maybe it would have been, but the fact that he made the decision at the end of the episode to not have his mother's ashes watching over her and judging her until the end of time on the mantle, you know what I mean. I feel like that was a choice and a statement, you know, like I choose you right right right, I still choose you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tough sledding.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong? Because I actually don't know how like I if they ended up.
Speaker 1: Together, it's an incredibly difficult situation. Yeah, And I think, boy, you know, no matter what decisions she makes here, Ultimately, you know, if you're a first time or to the series, and you know you come upon this particular narrative at this juncture, there is no wrong move for Emily here. I mean, she's completely justified into ending the marriage and also you know, forgiving him and moving on and you rising above, there's there's not a wrong move she can make.
Speaker 2: Wait, can I ask you something because I I this is a really good this is a really good moment for a confession that I have not watched every episode of Gilmore Girls, so I actually don't know did their marriage survive this?
Speaker 1: I guess people will just have to keep tuning in to find out.
Speaker 2: Are people who are listening to your podcast watching for the first time or are they watching? Are they all in again with you?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, my thought is that they will stay together. He ultimately chooses her by making that decision at the end, and that is the final answer.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I think she should get the option of getting to blow up one of its roles for risis.
Speaker 2: Think about how cathartic that would be, right.
Speaker 1: Or she gets to have a weekend in Marbeo with Eric Estrada right, Richard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, all right, so Rory at Yale.
Speaker 1: Doyle thinks Rory plagiarized her article with certain phrases she's using and is ab set.
Speaker 3: The whole newsroom is using the computers for personal uses. Rory rewrites grants obituary because Richard hated it.
Speaker 1: Doyle gets upset at first, and she uses the great grandmother just died hall pass. He then lets her finish the obituary and relates to her because his grandma just died.
Speaker 3: Trish. Doyle's very tough from the beginning of this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, then what happens He softens when he learns about the obituary and lets Rory get to know her great grandmother.
Speaker 3: That was a nice moment talking about it.
Speaker 2: But then she felt guilty because she wasn't as close to her great grandmother as she as he was to his. So she felt like she had to fess up, like I was just using this as a hall pass. I didn't really I didn't know her all that well, you know, right, yeah, right, because she of course she's going to do the right.
Speaker 1: Thing, yes, Rory, always right, always, yeah.
Speaker 2: And as the mother of a couple of teenage daughters, boy that would be nice.
Speaker 3: To have that.
Speaker 2: That is not my case.
Speaker 3: How old are your girls?
Speaker 2: Sixteen and almost eighteen?
Speaker 3: So lots of peace?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, I mean there's no drama, thank god. I mean I never had that, like, oh God, you're going to have two teenage girls and your life is going to be a nightmare. I never had that. But it is a lot. It's a lot too.
Speaker 3: It is a blissful, joyful experience.
Speaker 2: So rewarding, Scott, So rewarding it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: You can't see my face, but I'm looking real sarcastic, right.
Speaker 3: No, I can hear it. Okay, I can hear it.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get down to the centerpiece of this show. I mean what this show was made for. Yeah, and that is Luke and Nicole.
Speaker 2: That's what everybody's tuning in for.
Speaker 1: Meant, there's they're not They're just like they're blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Okay, now this.
Speaker 2: Stuff, yeah, yeah, yeah, here we go.
Speaker 3: So guess who's in town.
Speaker 2: Who's in town?
Speaker 1: Nicole's in town? Well, yeah, and guess who she's arguing.
Speaker 3: With on a match my no good husband, darn right. Yeah, every every bit of them.
Speaker 2: I have a question about arguing on the bench. But if you want to give our little recap.
Speaker 3: First, no, no, go ahead. I love questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I remember shooting that episode and the scene we're on the bench and the people are watching us. Everyone's watching us from the diner, and you can't hear what we're saying. So not the scene where we're fighting and you can hear what we're saying, but the scene on the bench. Tell me if I'm wrong. I remember that we were actually having a normal conversation but just gesticulating wildly to make it look like we were fighting. Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Oh? Wow?
Speaker 2: Like I feel like we were. I feel like, again, you can't see me, but I'm going to gesticulate wildly. I feel like we were, like, you know, talking about what we did over the weekend, and you know, it's like I went to happy hour at the bar. Yeah, and I had the time of my life, probably going to go back, like just we were like fighting, but talking about something super normal. Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: So you're saying, okay, so you're saying that we were in the background of one shot and that's what we were doing, or yeah, oh okay, I wouldn't put it past me to float that idea to you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sure it was your idea, because I'm just a silly little guest star, and I wouldn't have made both decisions on my own. But like, I feel like we were talking about our weekend or like a guy I was dating or something silly, okay, but just doing it in a very angry way because we were on camera but we couldn't be heard. It sounds like something we would do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's what happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just let's just say that's what that's what happened.
Speaker 1: It was actually, it was actually an exercise that we used to do in uh in my little uh my first acting class in New York City.
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah, where you have to emote like the opposite of what the words are saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that. Yeah, all kinds of tricks. Tricks. So, and everyone in Luke's diner.
Speaker 1: Is very quiet, looking up, trying to listen to this kind of this argument that we're having, which we're really just talking about mendane stuff.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Miss Patty walks in and they shusher looked. Then Luke think comes downstairs and he is in a bad.
Speaker 2: Oh. That's that's the next scene, right, the first one. We're on the park bench fighting.
Speaker 1: At the very and then Nicole comes downstairs and try to talk to him. They continue arguing, and then they end their conversation.
Speaker 3: And who walks away? Who walks away? Nicole?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tricia, this is your final episode in Gilmore. Yeah, although you are mentioned more times throughout the season, do you think Nicole should have gotten a better send off?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean you put a ring on it. That should mean something, right, you know, like I, as far as I know, I was the only one, not me, not me personally, Nicole was the only one you actually went the distance with, albeit briefly, right, And so yeah, I think they should have a bigger, a bigger sendoff for Nicole. Right, Yeah, that's rewatching that episode. I forgot that that was my last one. It felt like there was going to be something that wrapped it all up in a bow, like to follow in another episode, So I'd forgotten that that was it.
Speaker 3: Trista at this point, did you know that this was going to be your last episode? No, there's really no way you could, though, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I know, And remember and we talked about this in twenty twenty two. I didn't even know I was coming back for this season because when I was hired and when I was cast, I was cast for a specific amount of episodes. I don't know how many. It was maybe four or something.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I would I would, I would call Amy in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: I'd say more, bring her back, please, or more because she's so amazing. Well, we got along really well, like we we had fun.
Speaker 3: It was a lot. It was a lot of fun. It was Yeah.
Speaker 2: But when I was cast and I said this time that, you know, I had just finished finished a series where I had to dye my hair red and and then that series was canceled. And then the next day I auditioned for Nicole and got it. I was like shit, I got I was like so excited to get my blonde, my normal hair back, And so then that's why for that first season of Nicole, I was a redhead. And then I thought I was done, and so I, you know, went back to blonde, and then they called me back for the following season. I was like shit. So no, I did not know that that was gonna be my last episode. But I also didn't even know that I was going to be in that season at all, you know. I do remember that fight scene when I you come back down to the diner. Everyone was listening, and then I follow you down there and I was like, are you coming back? And You're like, I thought we were done, and I was like, I was in the middle of the word september, like watch. I thought that line was so genius at the time that I never forgot it, and then rewatching it, I was like, that was such a good line. I was in the middle of you left the conversation thinking it was over when I was in the middle of the word september.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, kiddle, Yeah, that's going to wrap this one up. Thank you everybody, Trisha Kelly, thanks for coming back. Always welcome. Let's not let three years pass until you come back for a third go route.
Speaker 2: I would love it. I would love it anytime. Scott.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Amy would appreciate less phone calls from me in the middle of the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I said, keep them coming, Scott, keep them coming.
Speaker 3: Keep keep the phone calls going, all right, I keep going, all right, cool, all.
Speaker 1: Right, best fans on the planet, So appreciate you guys, keep the cards and letters coming. We read every single one of them and we appreciate your feedback.
Speaker 3: And remember where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 4: Stay safety, everybody, and to forget.
Speaker 1: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com