Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final hour.
Speaker 2: On this Wednesday, Dan and the Dan Nets, Dan Patrick's show talk some baseball. Yankee broadcaster Michael Kay on the greatness of Aaron Judge. This year's season compared to two years ago, this season might be even better eight seven, seven to three DP show. We say good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you downloading the app. That's our streaming partner and our radio affiliates around the country as well. iHeartRadio Fox Sports Radio. I have a pull question for you for the final hour of the program. Last night, it happened again. Now there's a couple of movie franchises when they're on and I'm flipping through. If the Equalizer is on with Denzel the Bourne Identity, with Matt Damon and Taken Liam Neeson.
Speaker 3: What if it was a draft that you could only pick one?
Speaker 4: Born's quick answer, Yeah, Born, Yeah, that's the right answer.
Speaker 2: I'm watching Taken. I don't know if it's one or two or three. But his daughter has been taken and he's got to go over and he's got to kill everybody on a boat. But I don't know if that's any different than Taking three or two or one. But I do watch. He has that ability to just he's there on camera and somebody is going to have hell to pay, and he's going to find you and he is going to kill you. Todd.
Speaker 5: I will hunt you down. I will find you, and we'll.
Speaker 2: Carry And I did think about that when I'm watching. And I don't even think he used that line in this movie that I saw, but I did. I if those movies are on, I'm watching, and sometimes I get the titles mixed up. I get the plot lines mixed up. Usually the plot lines are kind of the same with The Equalizer and Liam Neeson and Taken. They're somewhere and somebody is in trouble and somebody is gonna get killed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the person responsible for it, oftentimes is an Eastern European who never seems to leave a techno nightclub dance thing where there's flames shooting. Yeah, you're going to kill him. Wait, I thought you said you killed him.
Speaker 2: I did. I must do everything myself. And then there's like seven women draped all over him, and then he does his shot of vodka and then gets in his car. The chase scenes though, and Born are just unbelievable, unreal. So I go back to the French connection and when Gene Hackman is in the movie and I think that's nineteen seventy or seventy one. It's the first time I remember seeing a car chase where it felt like you were in the car. Now when you're watching Born, feels like you're driving it. They do such an unbelief of a bull job. But yeah, I did get caught up in that last night. And uh, no shame, no shame in telling you that phone calls. We'll get to those coming up. Jamar Chase is expected for week one, and uh, his head coach was asked about that possibility. Here's Zach Taylor, the Bengals head coach. What what's the.
Speaker 5: Plan for him moving forward this week? How much man? How has he looked so far in these in these first couple of practices back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's he's a great You know, Sam Jama, I'm used too, And uh, the plan will be continue to practice with them.
Speaker 5: Has he given any indication if he wills there be any conversation about what his plans are for week one? Have you all had that discussion yet?
Speaker 2: He and I always have conversations, Zach, I think my my zoom may have cut out. Did you say the plan is for Jamorrow to be ready for week one?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's going to practice this week and we'll just keep taking it from there. Are you competent he'll play week one? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay. I think coach, you could have stopped this a lot sooner if when you were asked about Jamar, you know he's practicing. We hope he's going to be ready to play week one. Hey, come on, got to ask you four different questions to get is he going to be Do you expect him to play in week one? Yeah? Yeah, you know, we're hoping that he's going to be able to practice. Do you think that he might be able to play? Yeah? I mean you know we talk all the time about this. Is he going to play in week one or not? Yeah? Yeah, he's gonna that's the goal.
Speaker 4: Yes, I mean it's not exactly like he's holding on too like the nuclear codes, like if your star wide receiver is going to play week one or not, it's not that good.
Speaker 2: Well, you can't give him any advantage.
Speaker 4: I'm not letting this out like it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 2: Dude, vague questions, elicit vague responses. Jamar Chase playing in week one, and he'd say, as long as he stays healthy in practice. Okay, what are your plans for Jamar Chase in week one? Like just get the point? You know, they were kind of tap dancing a little bit there, and then coach like, they don't want to tell you anything. They go to these press conferences not wanting to tell you something. Yes, Tod is.
Speaker 6: That the new passive aggressive approach by my zoom may have cut outlet to make.
Speaker 2: Sure we all heard that was pretty good though, Yeah, my zoom cut out. Did you say that he's going to start?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's gonna he's gonna play, Yes, poem.
Speaker 3: Does all sounded like when you asked Pritzy a question, you know, like you could ask Pritty any direct question and you'll you'll get like, is Jamar Cha's gonna start?
Speaker 2: What do you mean by start?
Speaker 5: Starting? You play?
Speaker 2: Play?
Speaker 3: What do you mean by play?
Speaker 6: There's a lot of scenarios there. It's just you know, it's kind of semantics starting.
Speaker 2: Well, when I do that with Todd, I'll say, hey, are you working out? I could be better? I could do better? No, you didn't answer my question, are you working out? I mean I I I could do I could I? I uh, Todd, we're seeing some friends at the gym and I flexed a couple of times.
Speaker 6: Does that cow that? I?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Todd? Are you are you exercising?
Speaker 5: I throw out the garbage? Or I did the dishwashing?
Speaker 2: That's the I know that you didn't do that.
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 2: Speaking of movies, guess what I have right here in my hand. Got it from DraftKings Early Odds Best Picture Academy Award. Okay, you guys want to take a guess. There's a young heart throb might be dating somebody really really famous, and his movie right now is the favorite for the Academy Award Oscar for Best Picture. Spells his first name differently than you might expect. Timothy Timothy Shaloma. Dune Part two Okay, interesting, I gotta see Dune part one first apparently, but definitely done. Part two all right? The second I don't think I've seen any of these movies. The second favorite right now, according to DraftKings Best Picture Same that that there's two words and they're the same words. Sing sing? Was that a cartoon? I have no idea is that cartoon movie. I don't well, would a cartoon movie win Best Picture?
Speaker 4: Doesn't sing? A movie sing sing might be sing too.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it's sing sing which is also a prison so a different movie. Yeah, I don't know. I don't know anything about it. It's a cartoon movie about a prison where they sing sing sing.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 2: The third favorite has a football terminology in its title.
Speaker 4: Something about room, quarterback, room wide, receiver, room.
Speaker 2: I blitz, blitz. I've never even heard of that movie. I haven't heard of any of these. The next one is a Noora. I have no idea that that's the name of the movie. I was gonna say, dude, if that's the clue, come on, you find yes very anora ing all right? And then the next one is also something I find fritzy, A real pain, A real pain. I don't know. I haven't seen any of these movies. I don't know anything about these movies. Dang, I gotta get out more, Yes, Martin.
Speaker 10: But isn't every Oscar Best Picture nominee a movie you've never seen?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 10: How many blockbusters are really up for Best Picture year and a year out Besides Top Gun Maverick.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, and Save the Industry, Tom Cruise, Save the Industry. He gets credited with the save, Yes he does.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It feels like they like those movies that it's like everything all at once, parasite some of those movies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline, I got last year's list, and the movies are like Oppenheimer, Barbie made it.
Speaker 2: That's those were big movies. Yeah, yeah, those were those were blockbusted. Barbie was obviously, I mean they made a billion dollars. Oppenheimer made a billion dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the big money movies of the year that also got nominated.
Speaker 2: Uh what was the uh what was the movie about the woman who start she runs off with the creature in the water. Huh oh yeah, uh the Shape of Water. Shape of Water. Yeah, yeah, Now I did watch it and I thought it was interesting. I didn't come away gone yeah right there that has Gone with the Wind. Ever seen it? Yeah?
Speaker 7: That?
Speaker 4: I never saw the one, the cartoon one that James Cameron did either.
Speaker 2: The Avatar. Never saw it. That made a billion too, Yeah, not watching it. I think he's made Avatar. A couple of them, both of them made a billion. Avatar of that Okay, we kind of what about three.
Speaker 6: Billboards in North Dakota whatever that.
Speaker 2: Was, that's grabbing, tired, that's that's Ebbings, Minnesota, Like three billboards outside Ebbings, Minnesota.
Speaker 5: With a clever movie title.
Speaker 2: Yeah, although what's his name? Ady Harrelson was in that, right, Yeah, but he's not the guy, oh, the other guy, racist cop Sam no worthing, No, No, but you're you're in that. It's Sam Rockwell. Sam Rockwell. He was awesome. Oh he's a good actor. He's one of those guys. He's a Ruffalo Mark Ruffalo kind of guy. He's a good actor. Yeah, he's been some really good movies. We got into a conversation this morning my wife and I is, I'm getting ready to leave to entertain a nation, and she says something about Paul Rudd and I go, okay, and then she goes, you know, he he's kind of like the male version of Sandra Bullock. He's our sweetheart. I go, who's our sweetheart? And she goes, no one has anything negative to say about Paul Rudd. I go, you're right, but where's this coming from? She so, I don't know. I just thought of it. So I'm like, all right, crushing on Paul Rudd right in front of me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, according to.
Speaker 4: The Twitter, most of the movies that you've been mentioning right now haven't even been released yet. So that's probably why we haven't heard of him.
Speaker 2: Just as much.
Speaker 4: Well, Dune two is out, June two is out, but most of the ones, according to them, Oh that a lot of them aren't out yet.
Speaker 2: Dang, that's a lot of pressure. Yeah, who's got more pressure? Todd Fritz sing sing or Patrick Mahomes this year? Right there? Yes, ud, Jason Bateman comes to mind.
Speaker 6: I know we've kind of done this before. Very likable, No one really has a bad word to say. You look forward to seeing him.
Speaker 5: In the movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but when he was doing Ozark, like he could be a bad guy. Paul Rudd is normally not a bad guy. Paul Rudd. Okay, who plays themselves better? Paul Rudd or Jason Bateman. It's a push. There's certain actors it just feels like they play themselves, which is.
Speaker 4: So unfair to just be born and then be like, oh, yeah, it turns out I'm really good at being me. I guess I'll be an actor. Well, you know, when Happy to gill More Too. I'm being asked to play me and it's not easy. It's not easy, trust me, Bill and Dallas. Hi Bill, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan?
Speaker 7: Just five to eleven and a softest hard two five needed to call in to defense a little bit of Steve Martin slander from an earlier call.
Speaker 2: He must not be a wild.
Speaker 7: And crazy guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You also watch some of his banjo videos during the Peacock commercial break one of the most incredible things you'll see today.
Speaker 2: Also, just watch.
Speaker 7: Grewn Upstu for the first time and absolutely how to your gym teacher character. I can't wait to see you happy Gilmore Too, but hopefully not as much as you.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Thank you. People wanted to know if Sam gave me a prop to where in my as the gym class teacher. No, he did not, but I just know that he did give me the outfit, anything to make me look silly. Sandler usually tries to do that. But I think I'm shooting my Happy Gilmore Too scene in here in the man Cave. Now. I don't know if that means you guys might get in the scene, but I am shooting it. I think in studio, because Sailor goes, do you want us to build a set for you? And I go, well, why don't I just do it here in my studio? He goes, I like it, Danny. I like it, Danny. Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, So we haven't been asked to leave the building during the shoot. Now that's a good sign.
Speaker 2: No, there's still a chance that you guys may be a cutaway. I don't know, maybe we could work in a line there or something like that. Charles in Florida, Hi, Charles Woods on your mind?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 2: DP, how are you spectacular?
Speaker 11: Two quick things? Anybody that says Josh Allen is overrated, I mean, these guys are out of their minds. He single handedly almost beat the Chiefs dynasty two different times, put the whole team on his back. So I got to totally disagree with that. The most overrated quarterback by far is Dak Prescott. I'm a Cowboys fan and I can't even watch it anymore. It's awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he played really well last year, and the expectations like there's a certain personality trait you must have to be the quarterback of the Cowboys and deflect and not take everything so personally and Dak has done a pretty good job of that. And I know we get to the postseason, it's it can't be all on him that they win thirteen games or he doesn't get credit. But he only gets blamed when they get to the postseason. He's a really good quarterback. Has it, you know, ended like a Greek track the last couple of years. It has. But I do think he's a I think he's overcovered. There's the difference overcovered and as opposed to overrated, Like Lebron is overcovered. Lebron's not overrated. Lebron's overcovered. Therefore, it's like, oh yeah, bal out of the playoffs early. The expectation level is so high in social media. It's just different now for these athletes. Yeah, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 10: Quick question about rock perty Will he go from underrated to overrated once he gets paid?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, yeah, because then we're going to go you're paying in fifty five million and he's only throwing nineteen touched whatever it is going to be. I mean, there's somebody's going to go after him, because if you sit here and compliment people all day, you know, people don't want to hear that. They want to know if you have an opinion about somebody, or you make up an opinion about somebody just to get clicked. All right, let me take a break. We'll talk about Aaron Judge's season coming up. Michael Kay, the Yankee podcaster, will stop. Buy more of your phone calls as well. Take a break back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Pauly Fools Go here with Tony Foosco.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Foodsco Show.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: But instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 2: Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated.
Speaker 3: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: We were interrupting our promo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wasn't talking about you.
Speaker 5: You took those clips totally of context.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, well after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 2: Let me put this into context.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 12: Yeah, anyway, just listen to the Paully and Tony Fosco Show on iHeartRadio. Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Yee.
Speaker 2: Today's Mercedes Benz Interview, the day brought to you by a Mercedes Benz Dream Day, Mercedes Ben's Dream Days, or here with the exceptional offers on the cle Coopy Class, Sedan, ce Class Sidan and Clacabriolet going on now through September third. Learn more. M busa dot com slash dream. He's the voice of the Yankees. He's Michael kay Back on the program. Mike, thanks for joining us. If I would have told you before the season started Aaron Judge would be on pace to hit sixty home runs again, you would have said what.
Speaker 5: I would say. I could see it happening, but it wasn't likely because you know, in twenty twenty two, we felt that that was a once in a lifetime thing. So I wouldn't bet on it because I just think that these are so unusual. But now I start to think that if he didn't run into the wall at Dodger Stadium last year, maybe he would have made a run at sixty as well. He's just on that kind of role right now where he's the best hitter in baseball.
Speaker 2: I wondered about his swing or I wonder about his swing when you first saw him and it felt like somebody that size and having a long swing. Could he continue to have that success when his bat you know, slowed down. He's thirty two and having probably the best year of his career. So how do you handicap that swing of his as he you know, gets to be thirty five, thirty six years of age.
Speaker 5: You know what, He's a really smart player, Dan, and I think that what he's done is he's turned it into a science because he actually cares about batting average and his strikeouts are actually down from his rookie year when he hit fifty two home runs that year. I mean I even talked to Joe Juraradi about it. You know, nobody could envision this. Nobody could have dreamed this big, that he'd be a three thirty hitter and be on face for sixty three home runs. But that's what he is, So you would be led to believe that if in fact, he's going to get older and you know, the laws of physics take over and he's going to have a slower back, I think he'll be able to make it work. I think he's got a lot more in the tank. Remember he got called up late because he went to college. So if he wants to do great things in a compiling sense, he's got a hit to He's thirty seven, and I think he's going to.
Speaker 2: Who's having a better season, Aaron Judge or show Hey Otani.
Speaker 5: I think Judge is simply because of the fact that he's playing the field. You know, Otani's unbelievable. He's stolen over forty bases and that's something that Judge doesn't do. I think Judge could steal more bases if he wanted to, but it's imperative that he stay healthy. But he's playing center field most of the time, so I'd say that he's probably having a better season.
Speaker 2: Was there ever a time when you thought, or maybe Yankee fans thought you were getting Otani?
Speaker 5: I thought at the beginning they did. I mean that's the reason the Yankees have Stanton because once they lost out on Otani, they really thought that they were going to get Otani, and then they pivoted and made the trade for Stanton. And I remember sitting next to Otani on the day I said a Baseball writers dinner in New York, and you know, he had signed with the Angels, and he said to me, said, why are people so upset? I said, because they really wanted you to be a Yankee. He goes, well, maybe one day, but that's not going to happen. I think he likes it on the West Coast, and at the end of this ten year contract, I don't think the Yankees will pursue him.
Speaker 2: What about Jan Sodo.
Speaker 5: I'm one of the people who believe this, and I don't think it's something that people want to embrace. Everyone says, oh, he loves being a Yankee, and the fans love him and they showed him sets love. He'll definitely sign with the Yankees. He's definitely gonna sign with the team that offers him the most money. I mean, you don't have Scott Boris as an agent to take a discount. That's just not the way it works. And maybe it's going to be the Yankees that give him the most money. The only thing I would actually bend a little bit on Dan is if it's close. I think he is enjoying his time. He knows the power of hitting in front of Judge and the fans, and Soto from opening day this year have had a love affair. So if there's a difference between a million dollars for one year over a ten fifteen year period, I could see him saying, Okay, go to the Yankees. But let's say the Mets and Steve Cohen they offer him sixty million a year and the Yankees offer him fifty. He could love the Yankees all he wants. He loved being with the Nationals and he turned down four hundred and forty million dollars. So I think it's going to come down to a business transaction, and I think emotions is going to be pushed to the side.
Speaker 2: Best team in the American League is who.
Speaker 5: I think it's between the Yankees and the Orioles. But if you want to ask me who do I fear the most, it's probably the Astros. I don't think they're the best team, but they have the institutional knowledge of having to get to the ALCS. So if I'm the Yankees and the Orioles, that would be the team that scares me the most. I mean, in an eye blink, they went from ten out to buy five and a half six over and in front of the Mariners and got the Mariner manager fired as well. So the Astros scared me the most, and I'd say that the Yankees and and the Orioles are the two best teams in the league.
Speaker 2: You look at a Yankee Dodger World Series.
Speaker 5: I would like that. That would be fun. I think it would be good for baseball. I see Otani and Judge on the same field. I think that would be great, and it would bring me back to eighty one and seventy seven and seventy eight. But I'll tell you what on my radio show, Dan, all I take is Yankee fans talking about this Judge scenes means nothing unless they go to the World Series. I mean that's the way they've been programmed. So I really can't get upset with them. But it's so hard to get to the World Series. The last time a team went back to back was the Yankee So there's just so many layers of playoffs to get there. I mean, Brian Cashman calls it a crap shoot. I don't know if it's quite a crap shoot, but I do know it's really really tough to do. So what I like to see the Yankees and the Dodgers, maybe the Yankees and the Philly Sure, Yankees and the Mets would be fun. I think there are legitimately ten teams that could go to the World Series.
Speaker 2: What was your reaction when the story came amount that the Yankees could honor Alex Rodriguez.
Speaker 5: Should honor or that they actually invited him to Oldzeimer's Day.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I thought that there was something about ay Rod talking about, you know, being put out in Memorial Park or out there with all the legends.
Speaker 5: A lot of people were asked at during Oldzheimer's Day. I think the fact that Alex was invited to Old Timer's Day, if you asked me that six years ago, yeah, okay, that's going to happen. So time does heal some wounds. And when he was introduced to the Crab, there was a lot of love that came his way that warren't booze. There were cheers for sure, not the most of any Yankee. That still goes to Derek Jeter. I think it's a long way from putting into Monument Park. I really do. I mean, this is a guy and I think if you look at his numbers, just look at his numbers, six hundred and ninety six home runs, three MVPs, two of them with the Yankees a great World Series running on nine. He deserves to be out there for that. But this guy was also suspended from baseball per year and he was suing the team. So I mean, there have to be a lot of a lot of wounds that have to be healed before that would ever happen. I wouldn't I would never say never, but it would be tough.
Speaker 2: But the Yankees love to celebrate these things, even though I wouldn't celebrate a Rod with putting him out there. And I misspoke Memorial Monument Park, but hey, it's the Yankee franchise. They do what they want to do. But it seems like a Rod's still like how do you curry favor to get in the Hall of Fame? And like, I just don't know. He's been relevant doing the Fox games, the ESPN stuff, and then I just wonder, is he ever going to get into the Baseball Hall of Fame having been popped twice with steroids.
Speaker 5: I don't think he will. I don't think he will unless there's a seismic change of the people that are voting. You know, people have said, well, you know, people will die off and there'll be a younger generation of voters. Okay, then it's ten years on the ballot will be over and then it'll be the hands of some kind of veterans. And I think a lot of the players want to keep the ped guys out. The sad part is Dan. Of all the people that have been kept out, like Bonds and Clemens and the like, the one that it hurts the most is a Rod because he is such a lover of baseball and he understands the history of the game and what it means to be in Cooperstown that would mean the world to him. But he also knows that he messed up in a big way. So I'm not sure he'll ever get into COOPERSTOWND just not.
Speaker 2: You bring up a valid point, and I've heard that before that you get younger voters, they aren't as offended by steroids. And I had Tim Kirchin on the show recently and I said, it is a museum, and there's a lot of things in museums that aren't attached to good people, but they're still in a museum. Are we treating the Hall of Fame like it's a little to pristine instead of let's use it to tell the story of Baseball.
Speaker 5: All due respect, and because you know I idolize you, I hate that argument.
Speaker 8: Hate it.
Speaker 5: It is a museum and he's in that museum. Pete Rose is in that museum. That doesn't mean they get a plaque. The plot is the ultimate in the Baseball Hall of Fame. So there are displays. You've got Pete Rose's back there, You've got Alex Rodriguez something from the two thousand and nine World Series. So everybody is represented in the story of baseball. But just because it's a museum doesn't mean that they have to get a plaque. And that's where I would draw the line. And as for the I think you bring up a great point about it's treated as if it's a church. It's a sacrament. It's sacrilegious if you would let somebody in that I don't like and I love the way the baseball writers hold on to this and do treat it that way. But the one thing that they've messed up on, because I just watched the Pete Rose documentary on Max, the fact that they were ever had that Pete Rose vote taken out of their hands. They should have said, we will never vote for another player unless you let us vote for Pete Rose. That doesn't mean Pete Rose deserves to get in, but they should be the ones that decide. Once it was taken out of their hands. It shows you how much they just love that boat and how much it means to them, because they should have stepped away and said, unless you give us a chance to vote on this guy, because we've done right by this hall, we've kept bad guys out, we've kept pd guys out. We should be allowed to vote for Pete Rose. And once the Baseball Hall of Fame took that out of the hands, they should say, okay, find another way to vote people in because we're out. But they didn't do that, and that's on them.
Speaker 2: Well, you get people have this argument, Michael, and that is, Hey, Bonds was a Hall of Famer before he cheated. Hey Clemens was a Hall of And I said, it doesn't matter, like you could be Father of the Year in two thousand and eight and then all of a sudden, you're abusing your wife, Like just because you were something doesn't mean that's what you are. It's the totality of your career. And I never buy that. Was Bond's a Hall of Fame, Yes, he was well on his way. Clemens, I don't think was until he went to Toronto and then after that that things changed there. Sammy Sosa's name never comes up as one of those guys like what about I mean, he had four seasons of hitting over sixty home runs. I don't know. It feels like Bonds, Clemens, but never Sosa. So I don't like we kind of pick and choose who should shouldn't, why they should, why they shouldn't, And even Pete, if you cheat when you're in graduate school, I don't take away your undergraduate degree. If he bet as a manager. Now do I think he bet as a player, I do. I don't have any you know, any reference with that, but I just do. I don't think he started once he became a manager. But I can't take away what he did as an undergrad. Michael that he that's a Hall of Fame baseball career. And I know what he did as a manager. He bet on baseball.
Speaker 5: Well, p Rose is a really complicated case because the only thing to have proof of is the fact that he as a manager. He never bet. As a player, he would not be getting in as a manager. He'd be getting in his guy with the most hits in the history of baseball. But it's a tough thing to delineate on and say, Okay, you separate the guy because I'm sure you Shoe was Shoe Jackson never bet on baseball, you know, the Black Sop scandal. Should he be in because of the stuff he did before that? I think it's the one whole thing. It's not just like, it's not a sizzle of buffet to get the whole thing?
Speaker 2: Uh? Could we should we look at Aaron Judges the single season home run chimp?
Speaker 5: I think that I don't want to cop out, but I think that's everybody's individual preference. If you if you look at bombs and you think that it was ill gotten Gains and Sosa and Maguire, than he is. If you think, okay, everybody was doing it and there were pitchers that were doing it, then he's not the best thing he has going for him is at least he knows he's the American League single season home run record holder. Is he better than bonb The sad part is Dan he had the worst April that you could possibly have the worst. If he actually had just a decent April, they'd be people talking about him getting seventy three, and then he would erase all of this nonsense and there'd be no more asterisks anymore. But the fact that he had a bad April means that he's going to go for sixty two again and probably not going to go for seventy three.
Speaker 2: You think he could hit seventy three.
Speaker 5: I do. I do now. As he gets older, I think it becomes less likely. But if he had that great if he had an April where he had nine home runs rather than what he did have. I mean he hit him at two hundred in April. He looked lost where people were saying something's wrong with him. He just didn't have enough at bats in spring training. If he had a decent April, I think he'd be making a run at seventy three. I really do, because he is so locked in right now and it's not just brute Paul force that he does out there. He's really thinking up there, and he's become a much more cerebral hitter. I think he could have done it this year. I don't know. Next year is a year older, I'm not sure, but this year he could have done it.
Speaker 2: And you see right handed hitters you know that they used the entire field. I remember Dale Murphy, you know, kept saying that they you know, there were pitches that he could hit out of the park to right center, and he became really good at doing that because he was trying to pull everything. And I see, Judge, that's a smart hitter. Even if you don't hit a home run. Use the pitch to your advantage, use the ballpark to your advantage. So you can see a thought process when he's up there. A lot of these guys just go up there and swing, but he's thinking when he's in there.
Speaker 5: Also, Yankee Stadium is built for him, so just a fly ball a right field. I'm not saying he has a lot of these home runs because most of them go four hundred and fifty feet, but it's good if you're going to break a record, to have one dunk into the short fortune right two or three times a year because that gives you a little bit of a run. He's just a brilliant, brilliant hitter. And again, I did not envision a guy who's going to hit over three hundred when he hit the fifty two home runs as a rookie. He's just he's gotten so much better as a baseball player and so much smarter. And really, Dan, I don't know if you've ever stood next to him, He's a giant. They're on baseball players that look like that. I mean, I'm six foot four and I feel small next to him. Paul O'Neil is six foot six and he's looking up at him. It's just an amazing thing that a guy that size could have that kind of athletic ability and also the computer of a brain to process all the information that's coming his way for him to hit three hundred, and he's one of the few home run hitters Dan that really does care about batting average. He's not Joey Gallo who's willing to hit forty and hit one seventy. He takes a lot of pride to hitting three hundred, and he's going to hit three hundred. He might even win the batting title. That Bobby Wood Junior goes into a little bit of a slump.
Speaker 2: Great to talk to you. You're in postseason four, You're ready to go. Don't screw it up, Mike, Mike, thank you, Michael, thank you. That's Michael kay Yankee, play by play broadcaster on Yes network, batting average still means something to me. It may not to analytics, but it does to me. I mean, okay, I'm not asking much, but you know, the Mendoza line is now lower than two hundred, Like we have to change the Mendoza line and name it after some other player because it's named after what is it, Mario Mendoza. That's the two hundred batting average? Can we look at like two fifty? Is that asking too much? One of these days, if I'm still alive, you're gonna get guys who may bunt in the game, guys who may have a hit and run. We got the stolen base back. You know, we're slowly creeping back, slowly, slowly. Take a break, Last call for phone calls? What we learn back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, What we learn? What's in store tomorrow? All of that coming up?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mentioned the Mendoza line and is it former pirate Mario Mendoza. You're correct, yes, and that is part of baseball. The glossary of terms. I think Mendoza line is part of like the actual terminology.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you go to MLB dot com, they have a glossary we could learn about like you know, like the sixty day DL or chin music. But it's a real deep glossary of different things like can of corn. You could find out the origin of cannon corn. You could find out the origin of the hot stove, all the things that people take for granted and basement. It's really the glossary is kind of like Southpaw. What's it referring to? Everyone knows that, but where did it come from? It's in the MLB glossary.
Speaker 2: Yes, Tom So, would you rather have a serious injury named after you?
Speaker 6: Although many players have come back from that so there's a positive to it, or be known for the bottom bottom of a low batting average, which would be acceptable for a major leaguer to be hitting.
Speaker 2: I'd rather be known for Tommy John surgery because he on like two hundred and eighty eight games. Then Mario Mendoza, who's known for his ineptitude.
Speaker 6: Strictly the surgery part. Forget about what time you John? A comboy says an actual player. Well, you could separate the two.
Speaker 2: Maybe you can't, I can't. It's Tommy John. Yeah, Paul, this is.
Speaker 3: Actually quite fun. But I'm a nerd painting the black. You know when they say a pitture is painting the black when he's pitching, that refers to a pitch that's a strike, but it barely catches the outside corner. The origin home plate is mostly a white slab, but is bordered on all five sides by a thin black strip. Thus, a pitcher who's frequently hitting the corners and striking people out is painting the black.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that? Yeah, I was aware of them. Yeah. If you look at a home plate or when we grew up, the outline of it is in black. That's where I lived. I lived, not painting the black. I remember throwing a fastball to a guy I played in this semi pro league in Cincinnati, and I threw a pitch and I thought, I'm going to overpower this guy. He hit a rocket that I never saw. I heard it go by my head. That's when I knew you're not fooling anybody if you're throwing it really hard. He hit this ball so damn hard. I wanted to walk off the mound because I just heard it whiz by me. And then it was some guy who played, you know, minor league baseball. You know a lot of these guys had played minor league baseball, but it was a Twilight league in Cincinnati. Oh my god, scared me to death. He's like, did that ball? And I remember asking a teammate how close did that come to hitting my head? And they go, it wasn't that close. It was that loud that you would have thought it was like two inches away from my noggin.
Speaker 5: Tho.
Speaker 4: There were few things worse though than pitching, and just like a comebacker, because the minute the ball gets out of your hand, it feels like it's right in front of your face, right back again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's terrifying. Yes, well, there was a play in the Dodger game where I think Flaherty had a liner came right back, right back towards his head. It was so it's so quick, like the reaction time crazy crazy. Yeah, uh Aldo in California, I Aldo, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 5: Dan?
Speaker 9: Five eleven and a cozy two thirty. All right, I'm part of the DP club. That's the Dead Parents Club. Anyways, since you mentioned that for Happy Gilmore two, they're going to be shooting your man cave. If the dan Ets are represented in the film, which famous actor would they want them to play them in the movie.
Speaker 2: I know, I think we've kind of already gone around the room on this on what.
Speaker 4: The actor they look like. How many times can we mention Ryan Gosling in one?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, you try to mention it as often as possible. I did watch the end of White Men Can't Jump last night. Yeah, I got I got stuck in this vortex of Liam Neeson and taken, and then I flipped over I saw, you know, White Men Can't Jump, and I thought, all right, let me let me see Billy, see how he's doing. And then Rosie Press, who I love, but uh, you know, the movie's okay. I mean the fact that he's trying to dunk. I mean, come on, what he couldn't play for his high school team in Ohio when we played against them. He's not gonna dunk. Get out of here. Yes time.
Speaker 6: We had Rosie Press in the show a while back and she was like fantastic, Yeah, you guys had like a great report from Like.
Speaker 2: I thought, there was something going on there.
Speaker 6: Was It was a little wonderfully awkward. I don't know how you were described, but there was something there.
Speaker 2: I thought, Man, we're vibing big time, and uh, white Man's gonna jump jump your bone. What get out of here? Marvin said, huh huh. Rosie Press had a run.
Speaker 10: She did like ninety four a keeen twenty thirteen, lebron six covidnous mtp SSON a couple of times.
Speaker 2: And uh, what was the Spike Lee movie thing?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 10: She was the Jordan Dynasty.
Speaker 2: She was, she was great, she was fun. Man, she caused some people to do the wrong thing. Whoa when she was when Spike Lee. She told me the story Spike Lee comes over to her house and wants to talk to her about being in that movie do the right thing. And they sit at the kitchen table, and she said a relative had a machete and was sitting at the table and put the machete down because there is some nudity in there, and they wanted to make sure that Spike Lee was being on the up and up with their sister. And I was like, oh my god, put the machete down on the table. Let me see what do we have here? Mike in California?
Speaker 8: Hi, Mike, Hey, Dan five eight one eight. I grew up a Dodger fan and Steve Garvey was the man for several years, and I wonder if he will ever make the Hall of Fame. I wonder what your opinion is on that? And uh, then I got a movie question too.
Speaker 2: Okay, what's your movie question? Real quick?
Speaker 8: You guys were talking about Sam Rockwell earlier. I heard that he was going to play Merle Haggard in a bio pick and that would be right up my alley. And I'm wondering if you could put your feelers out and see if that's all right.
Speaker 2: I'll see what I can do. Steve Garvey always seemed like a Hall of Famer to me. I know he didn't have the numbers, but it always felt like Steve Garvey was a Hall of Famer. Todd, what did you learn today?
Speaker 5: At a pub in.
Speaker 6: Maine, you were immediately asked if you played benjos As the woman thought you looked like Steve Martin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I took it as a compliment kind of. I mean, he's handsome as can be, obviously seton What did you learn today?
Speaker 4: Marty Smith called his hair a wonder of the world. Yeah, eighth wonder, Marvin, Would you learn? With reporters, it's never off the record, Paulie would you Learn?
Speaker 3: According to IMDb, Sam Rockwell is part of an untitled Merle Haggard biopic.
Speaker 2: All Right, We Made It Happen. What We Learned, brought to you by the hottest Rookies' biggest superstars, the Old Time Great's the only place to collect them all Panini Trading Cards, the official trading cards of the show. You can collect them all, rare inserts, memorabilia cards, Starter continued collection at Paniniamerica dot net. Have a great day, everybody. Talk to you tomorrow.