Speaker 1: I think the Angels as a whole need to be thinking a lot differently about their young players and about building as an organization and being patient in that process in a way that they just aren't right now.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got the athletic Sam Blum joining us right now to talk a little Angels balls. This team is still involved in the wildcard picture right now, and being that it's July and we're almost at the trade deadline. Sam, good to see you, by the way, I have to start there. Do you think that the Angels will do a little buying if they're in a similar spot now to where they are two weeks from now.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I wouldn't. That wouldn't surprise me at all. I don't know if that some what they should do. I mean, if you look at the aoilid card picture, like the three games out right now, but they're I think tied with like four other teams that have pretty much the exact same record, and I think, you know, the Red Sox and the Mariners are tied for the actual spot ahead of them, So they're really working with like five or six other teams. You know. I don't think their chances are amazing, but they're not out of it, and we all know how the Angels operate, right, Like, they'll be aggressive, you know that they never think about rebuilding like there if they have a chance, and it's hard to blame them, and they have them to the playoffs in eleven years. If you if you have a chance, it's you almost feel like you should take it. But at the same time, I mean, we saw the same mistake they made two years ago by by going all in and you know, instead of subtracting there and maybe being in a better position right now, Uh, you know, they decided to add and are in the spot they're in, uh, you know, kind of fighting for a playoff spot and over you know, I guess exceeding expectations, uh, you know, in certain ways this season. So yeah, I think they might if they're in this position. I don't know if that means they should. You know, there's also scenarios where they can kind of, you know, be a little bit nuanced and maybe buying and smelling in certain different areas. But yeah, I'm my guess is they would be aggressive if they're within three games of the playoffs spot.
Speaker 2: So I think this is a very different case from a few years ago. I mean, you've got Otani there at the finish line. Teams would offer a ton set their franchise back a bit. I can only imagine if they were able to land Jackson Merrill, who was apparently in talks when they were discussing a trade option with the Padres. Fast forwarding to now, Sam, do you think the fact that the team hasn't been in the playoffs for what over a decade at this point pushes them to get a little more aggressive and take the chance just because they are in the mix right now. The American League, I think has been down over the past couple of years. It still seems to be the case. And don't you think that it would be a win even if they get into a wild card and don't win a game, but just to crack the playoffs with the roster that they have and kind of send a message that we're trying to get back on the winning side of things one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: If they can get into the wildcard win or lose like that, you've this would be a map. I mean, they lost ninety nine games last year, so this would be an amazing turnaround if that happens. I think the issue that you kind of have to grapple with here is I mean, at least according to like Fangrafts, they have about like a three to four percent chance of even doing that. So I just to me, you got to be you got to be smart about it. You got to be thinking about your future. They don't have a ton of people to trade unless they want to get like really aggressive in trade like a Joe Adell or a Redebt Meers whose values are significantly up for when they were maybe like a month or two ago. They could they could go down that route, although I'd be very surprised if they do ultimately, Like the guys they really have are you know, like a Luis Rahifu is performing better right now, at Euan Monkata who's back healthy. Who you know, a Kenley Jansen who I think part of his value will depend on how much the you know, how much of any of the contract they'll eat. But yeah, I mean they they if they're in that mix, right like if they're right there, I agree with you, like not having been to the playoffs in eleven years, I think the overall mindset of the organization just as you know, kind of their their way that they operate would set would tell me that they're going to be aggressive if they have any sort of chance of making the playoffs. I agree with you that two years ago is different, but it also isn't right like it's it's about just the way you look at, you know, your future, the way you look at building as a team. I mean, like they had a better chance to really build two years ago than they do right now. But I do think that what you've seen so far this year is when you get good young players, when they when you put them in a position to succeed, like there's a good chance that they will. You know that a guy like Zach netto No and Shaanowell, you know, those guys have really really, really gotten better this year. I mean Shaanawell in particular, I think is you know, he's not talked about in the same way as maybe some of the other young players, but he's in my opinion, been their their best hitter the season. So it's you know, they you've seen what happens when you when you give when you get good young players, and I think it should be an example to this organization of how they you know, need to be building and how they need to be thinking, especially as they approach a trade deadline where they might not have the best chance of making the posseason. They have a really tough schedule in July. They tend to play better against good teams, so we'll see what that means. But the next three weeks will be interesting.
Speaker 3: Where are those pieces that they would fill in. Let's say they get within two games on July twenty eighth, what's the biggest need fill in piece that would push them over the top and push put them in a wild card.
Speaker 1: I mean, they just you know, I think with the Angels this year, I look at their team as like they're not really bad in any area, but they're not. They're not excelling in any area either. I mean they're the only team in baseball that's used all five of their starting pitchers, like they have not. They've only these five starting pitchers, and it's been that that way the whole season. They've been on rotation. It's been, you know, kind of anomalist to the way things typically go with this team. I mean, the US eighteen starting pitchers last year. So yeah, I mean, I think they could use another starting pitcher frankly, I mean, you know, Tyler Anderson and Jack o'han witz have struggled a lot recently. Anderson's gotten a little bit better in the last couple starts. You know, I think that that would be an area of need. I mean, you can always use another, you know, solid bullpen arm. Although I will say that I think that's been more of a strength and that's partially what's gotten the back in the mix over the last you know, six weeks or so.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: In the outfield, it's you know, I don't know, I don't know exactly what you do in the outfield. I think that they don't have any depth as an organization in that position. But right now there are three starters. I think like much sure he would take out I mean Solaire's been having a really tough year. But I mean, you said, a game winning home run last night, So I think you could use you know, another outfielder. I think you can use in starting pa. I mean, they could just use they can use just a little bit more everywhere. But it's not like there's there's any glaring, glaring needs as far as you know, the way I see it, you know, especially if Luis Ronhifo kind of starts performing continues performing the way he has over the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's do a little player spotlight thanks to Arena Club AJ give me a player this season that you think is underrated and you might want to try and grab his card.
Speaker 4: James Would. I don't know that he's underrated, but Washington National's superstar in the making, and the first Slab pack I ever opened had him in it, his rookie card, and the value is only going to go up and up and up. And I'm not going to sell it KWHI yet, Scott. I'm gonna hold on to it because after he continues to hit big homers and put up the stats make All Star teams, it's gonna get more expensive for someone to buy. For me.
Speaker 2: This is his first full season in the majors. Keep that in mind. I think he's underrated, He's.
Speaker 1: On a Nationals team that's may putting enough attention.
Speaker 4: He might underrated. When he makes the All Star team this year, They're not going to be underrated. That helps.
Speaker 2: He's been intentionally walked four times in a game. Anyway, if you want to try and find a wood rookie card, go check out Slab packs on Arena Club and right now you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack. Or if you just want to go with a card purchase, go to Arena club dot com slash f o U L use code foul. If you buy, sell, trade, collect, go for it.
Speaker 4: Sam, you made me laugh, by the way when you said jo Moncatta is healthy as a former White as a White six fan. I mean that was kind of like an oxymoron, is it? Mioal Moncatta is healthy? Like? For how long? Is the is the real question?
Speaker 1: We Yeah, he's been a line up for two days now, so I guess we'll see what that he's due.
Speaker 4: For, a back or a hamstring or something. I mean, I hate to say that, but gosh, dang man, it's been it's been a rough run for numerous years. Here, listen, I get it. The Angels want to try it, but they're not better than a lot of the teams that are even equal or or ahead of them in the standing. So they want to try and go for it. They want to try and do this. You mentioned all the position players. Is there a bat out there that they could go get to plug in? Because you know, Christian Moore is gonna come back. No one, no one, shod Well netto Mancata. You have a HOPI they're young, they're kind of a young core, right, so you wouldn't wanted to stunt their development by going out and getting a bat. I just don't know where you would put that back.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I'm saying, Like, you know, like right now, logan on Hopy has been not good, right, Like that's just you know, that's you could go out and get another catcher. But I agree with you, Like, what's what's the value in that? I mean, right now, I would say you're the best thing as an organization that they can do is make sure Hoppy gets better and you know, play them and you know, figure that out for him. I mean that's like I agree with you, Like that's that I don't really see any value in going and adding a ton of bad, you know, a ton of offense. Rather, I mean it's you know, it could go try to bolster the bench a little bit, but at the end of the day, like I just to me buying right now. I mean, unless unless, like something, they get really hot over the next three weeks, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me, And I know that's just everyone's gonna say, like I just being you know, down or negative, But it's just I don't. I don't see it. You know, they they have a lot of teams to jump, they have a lot of challenge, they have a lot of challenges ahead of them if they're going to make the postseason. And you know, there's just a track record that would lead me to believe that, like that's just not where this is headed. But you know, maybe maybe somebody can clip this in two months and make me looking at it and they did it, and that would be great. I just don't, I just don't see it right now. Their team is is good, but it's getting there good, and you it's not there yet. And and uh, there's a lot of flawed teams in the American League, so they're they're they're in the mix. But I don't know, it's just that I think that the Angels as a whole should always, you know, right now, should be thinking about what you can do to make yourself better next year, what you can do to make yourself better in twenty seven, to really build a foundation. I don't like the way they've been using some of their their young uh, starting pitching prospects, bringing them up and just like putting them in long relief games. Wrote outings like Sam Alde Garrett from Double A for one day on Tuesday and through forty two pitches in an inning, and you know, just let him get embarrassed out there, and you know, send him back down to Double A. And I'm like, what's the value in that? Like, I think the Angels as a whole need to be thinking a lot differently about their young players and about building as an organization and being patient in that process in a way that they just aren't right now.
Speaker 3: A few years ago, I played with Joe Adell on Team USA, and somebody from the organization showed a scouting report that they did own Joe Adell and they rated him as a possible future Hall of Famer. It hasn't gone that well for him since he's been up in the big leagues. It was kind of a reach as far as a report. But now that he had that hot month of June with all those dingers, has Joe Adele arrived as a guy who should be playing every single day in the big leagues Versus righty's versus lefties, versus velo versus spin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do. I mean I think that, like you mentioned all the home runs, but to me, like what's been most impressive is is the lack of strikeouts, more more walks. I mean, he's taking good at it. He's a hard guy to get out right now. Now, maybe he's cooled off a tiny bit since that the last couple of days, but for the most part, like he's he's just putting really good swings on the ball. I think the difference for him is, you know, he's he's just not accepting that he's a strike he's that he's just like a you know, a three tree outcomes type power hitter. Right like he two years ago, I remember him talking about he was just he was willing to accept that he was he was going to strike out, that was going to be part of his game. And I just don't think that he's doing that anymore. I think he's he's understood that he can be a real legitimate, you know, on base type hitter that also has power. And I think you know, whoever gave you that scouting report right like that was part of the partially what they were probably open to see. And it's starting to come together. I don't know if the Hall of Fame is is where he's headed or where he's ticketed, or you know, but I do think, you know, he could have deserved an All Star and nod this year. You know, George Springer might be would be ahead of him, you know. But you know, there's there's probably a lot of debate you can make over over the selections that they made in the americanly outfield, but you know, overall, I just, yeah, I think he's he's figured something out. Like he's he's made himself an actual big league hitter. You know, We've seen it in the past when he's gone on hot streaks. He runs hot and cold quite a bit, and when he gets hot, he hits a lot of home runs. And I think this time around he's got he's gotten on base a lot more, and he's actually looked like a real major league hitter as opposed to someone who can you know, square one up.
Speaker 2: You know, every couple of days, Sam, It's well documented that this team has made some disastrous free agent signings over the years. We do not have to remind anyone about those pain points. But I'm going to take it to the other route. Should they be thinking about extension talks with some of these players. I don't know if they have had any open conversations. We have logan Al Hoppy on the show pretty frequently. I think we asked him at one point and he said, no combos yet. So between o'hapi and net Oh and Shannowell and maybe even Joe Adele at this point, as you know, he's had ups and downs and right now isn't a good spot, and maybe they project him forward looking good. I think he's only got a couple of years left of team control. What would you do if your peramination and Ardie Marino actually listened to you and you said, hey, can I pick two guys here where we give them league market extensions at the rate that they're at in terms of service time?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think they missed the boat on this, to be honest with you a little bit. I think some of these extensions should have been thought about or negotiated either before this season started or you know, last year. I mean, you know, it's just it's tougher to extend guys when they've kind of proven themselves as big leaguers and you know, they know their market's going to be once they hit free agency, and it's going to be probably more than you know, at least what the Angel's recent history has kind of shown us. You know, the Angels haven't really made a big free agent signing in about five since Anthony were in doing I mean, they just said they haven't, right like they've they think they're max contract that they've handed out as Kikuchi this year, that's three over sixty three year sixty three. So it's you know, they're not really operating as a big market team in the last five years by any measure. So yeah, I think they they probably should have done that. I don't know if they're if those players are going to be in their price range right now, I don't know exactly if that's that's on the table right now. You know, I think part of it is, yeah, talk about a hoppy. Part of it probably is the agency, right Like, you know, certain agents are probably more open to something like that than others. But you know, the whole point of doing that is extending you know that that that window that you have for an extra maybe one two seasons before they hit you know, the first you know, real free agency of their careers and you have to incentivize that in a certain way, and I just don't know if the Angels are all going to spend that type of money. I mean, you know, Perry wash like all these guys came from Atlanta, where that's been you know, the method of operation right, extending young players, and just haven't haven't done that here. I think, you know, part of what all of this you know, you know, you talk about windows, and I think, you know, it's an interesting conversation. I think everyone looks at the Angels right now is Okay, they've got some good young players, but those windows aren't forever, and some of these guys are going to be free agents before you really know it. And so you know that, I think that and just the calculus of how they push, how they build, how they you know, think about, you know, their future, if they're thinking about it in that context. But I just and everything with the Angels is always about the present, and I think that's probably why to some extent, they haven't you know, pulled the trigger on any sort of extension serious extension talk as of yet.
Speaker 4: All right, Sam, I hate to do this to you, but I want to just say thank you for the article. You wrote on Bobby Jenks. He obviously passed away. We talked about Bobby h and I want to say thank you for the great article you put out about him on the Athletic before he passed away, about him and his family and in the challenges he was going through. So nothing about the Angels other than Bobby came up in the Angels organization. But thank you from me and from my teammates and from Bobby Jenks fans for writing that article and kind of putting his life into a perspective for me. So I just wanted to say thank you. That was it.
Speaker 1: No, that means lots to me. Appreciate you saying that, and yeah, it's just, yeah, that was That's a tough one. You know, I didn't know him beyond you know, dealing with him and his family through that process. But uh, you know it's hard because you could you could tell just how much he meant to his family and and some people close to him, and uh, you know, I've been thinking a lot about them the last few days. And yeah, I hope they're doing all.
Speaker 4: OKA appreciate No, you're welcome, thank you. Now that we went to a sad uh, let's go back to something a little more lighthearted and more funny. You had to do fielding drills with Ron Washington, So I mean, walk us through this because.
Speaker 1: I got video.
Speaker 4: I mean, what are we doing? What did you keep you? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: God, now another guy who I'm missed too. You know, I want to give my you know, I'm on this platform. I want to just you know, give my best wishes to watch. And I hope he's doing well. You know, he's he's he's out now with the health issue and won't play. Won't me manage the rest of the season. Uh, but yeah, that was a really great experience. And I think, to me, that's just you know, it's less about me and more about just like the way Wash teaches and and you know, just I think what what gravitates him towards players, you know, and vice versa, and and you know it's he just got an energy to him. Man, even at seventy three, even though he's going through all this, you know, it's just like you could tell like this is this is who he is. I think that was the last line of that story. And and going through that process, like man, I just I'm not a baseball player. Uh probably have a very baseline level of athleticism. But you know, I like he just like was very encouraging, but also like if you were messing up, like very very very harsh. You know, I don't think he expected, you know, it to look like a big league level, uh you know of you know, field and ground balls. But you know, if it wasn't the right way of going about it, he would he would yell, he would curse, he would get in your grill about it. So yeah, that's that's who he is. And and I think that's, uh, you know, something the team's missing right now. And and I just hope to hope he's healthy and gets healthy and you know, does what he needs to do to uh get back on baseball field, because if that story illustrates anything, it's that's where he belongs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we love wash. Wait he was chewing you out, Sam?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, oh, I love it. I love that. That's great to.
Speaker 3: Hear over under a number of f bombs during your all the drills that you guys did, what do we shout that?
Speaker 1: I'll say about forty eight probably it was gotta be high, you know. Then afterwards, sitting in the dugout, he's smoking a cigarette. He's just ripping, you know, his team and times were they were like on a seven game losing streak at the time, so it was, you know, he comes and again like that's he was willing to. It was the first day after they had a long Roacher play, lost every game and he comes out and does that, so it was cool.
Speaker 2: Very cool. Well, Sam, thanks for putting that together. And yeah, I agree that the Bobby Jenks work was amazing too. And we're thinking of Bobby and the family right now. But Sam, good to talk to you. Thanks for the time. We'll catch you soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks god, Thanks guys.
Speaker 4: Take care