Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and Chuck's here too, and Jerry's here too, and this is stuff you should know about the history of exercising.
Speaker 3: Yes, I found this super fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is pretty fascinating.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I it just grabbed me.
Speaker 4: And I guess it grabbed me earlier because it was my idea because I think, I don't know, maybe i'd seen Anchorman and they made the yogging joke, and then I remembered hearing that, you know, exercises sort of new, right, if you look at not only the history of humans, but the history of America, it's only been around for you know, you know, fifty ish years, sixty maybe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean in ancient times they were pretty into fitness, but then it kind of dropped off for a couple thousand years, and we picked it up again in nineteen sixty roughly at very least the decade of the sixties. And like you said, specifically in America in the United States, I should.
Speaker 3: Say, yeah, so should we do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah. The whole thing is that the first half of the twentieth century It's not like there weren't people exercising, right, they were out there, they were just considered weirdos or possibly.
Speaker 4: Gay, exactly. They didn't even really use the word exercise much. It was called physical culture, and like you said, it was a real niche thing. The obviously there were you know, sports and athletes and people like that were doing physical training, and the military did stuff like that, and there was bodybuilding, but that was super niche too, But as far as like your regular average American walking around, they were just walking around or sitting in chairs.
Speaker 2: They were walking around, eating a steak while they walked around.
Speaker 4: That's what they were doing with the martini, and you did mention, you know, possibly gay, and that was a characteristic early on. Is like, if you are a man and it's nineteen forty something or fifty something and you want to have like a nice body and you want muscles, people might say, well, you're probably gay or you're probably a narcissist, because gems are for gay men to meet each other.
Speaker 3: And that was just sort of the perception at the time, exactly.
Speaker 2: And then women didn't have it much better. They were almost culturally forbidden from exercising it in the first place, it was unlady like to engage in exercise, or typically considered that. On top of that, exercises, you're exercising for yourself. It's kind of the basis of exercise, and that also seemed unseemly for women to engage in such a self indulgent pursuit, right. And then on top of that, there was a general idea that your uterus might fall out if you exercise too vigorously.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or just you know, you may not be able to get pregnant if you exercise, So just don't do that.
Speaker 3: Just stay on your feet all day and do the housework.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, which, as we'll see, is actually an example of moderate physical activity.
Speaker 3: That's right. It's better than sitting down.
Speaker 2: So in about nineteen sixty, if you asked Americans, hey, do you exercise regularly? I'm surprised with this, about a quarter of Americans would have.
Speaker 3: Said, yes, that seemed high.
Speaker 2: It does. It seems high to me too. In nineteen eighty seven, less than thirty years later, that answer to that question was yes from almost seventy percent of people. So in those three decades from nineteen sixty till the eighties through the eighties, exercise came on the scene and just jelled with the world. In the United States in particular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would be curious to see that poll and see exactly how it was worded and defined, right, because that twenty four percent seems high. I could see people just being like, well, sure I cut the lawn, right, you know that kind of.
Speaker 2: Thing, and regularly was once within the last three years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you cut the lawn once every three years.
Speaker 2: Right. So again, it wasn't just women who were considered at risk health wise from exercise. Everybody was considered at risk. If you exercise too much, you were probably over taxing your heart and you're probably gonna die young. They actually thought athletes were at risk of dying young from over exerting themselves. And then it was finally, I think about in the late forties when a British epidemiologist named Jeremy N. Morris and that and and the Morris makes me want to say Norris so bad. I mean, it's a real it's a weird combination. But he said, you know what, I like to jog, and I liked exercise, and I think that this is wrong. So I'm going to go about studying it in the most clever way possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a pretty interesting study. And by the way, Livia put this together for us, and as usual.
Speaker 2: I think she crushed it, knocked it out of the park.
Speaker 3: I had no notes. Not that we're usually noddy, No, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, we're not very nody.
Speaker 4: I like to just a gold star, right, But yeah, he had a really ingenious and sort of contained way to study this. He did lots of other studies, but one of the ways he did it was he said, you know, we got these big double decker buses in England.
Speaker 2: Everybody's seen those.
Speaker 4: Everyone's seen those, and there's there's two people who work on those. There's the guy who drives them, and then there's the guy who is the bus conductor. And he's always huffing it up and down those stairs. And you know, granted it's not like forty stairs or anything, but they're steep and you're climbing those things all day long, back and forth. So he was like, I got a nice little captive audience of of people who are pretty similar probably in lifestyle and in age and stuff like that, and one of them exercises one of them doesn't. And he found that drivers had twice more than twice as many heart attacks as conductors. And he was like, wait a minute, did some more studying and said, hey, everybody, I think exercising is good for your heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and other people were like, wait a minute, let us check it out. Well, wha, it's true. Study after studies started coming in saying like, not only does exercise not put you in an early grave, it actually probably prevents you from an early grave. So maybe we should all start exercising. So this was so in the fifties. This was the era of proving that exercise was good for you, and then by the time the sixties rolled around, people were ready to start getting into it. And at first it seems like they were. They were more hardcore, surprisingly enough at first than we are today because you look around and like so many people exercise today, especially in comparison to like the sixties and seventies at the beginning of the boom. But people have just kind of mellowed out a little bit. Before it was just like as intense as you could you could possibly get in every single way.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, these are the people that drank three martinis at lunch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they did not want hardcore.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, you're just going to do something, You're going to do it hard.
Speaker 4: So in fact, we were talking about those people because the culture of work really changed since about the mid nineteenth century when people moved away, not entirely, obviously we still had farmers and stuff, but you know, mainstream America moved away from hard labor jobs into desk jobs, and they started to worry that the sedentary lifestyle wasn't good for them. In the mid seventies is when corporate America started tuning in because Fortune magazine wrote an article that basically said, Hey, all these CEOs and board members that we have are just a bunch of and this is of course in the mid seventies. There are a bunch of old, sort of overweight, white fat cats, and they're all having heart attacks and it's costing our firms and corporations about seven hundred million bucks a year. And this is mid seventies numbers. And so it was them who started the health boom. It was sort of like corporate CEOs, I think in the sixties and seventies, Livia found some research that found that generally, like the people that started this whole thing were college educated, they had some money, and they were generally white people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's who kicked off the boom. Today, the differential in race is pretty much erased, but there's still a gap in education where if you have college or some college or a bachelor's degree, you're about twice as likely to exercise on an average day as somebody who just has a degree from high school. Really interesting, it is interesting. Another thing that happened too, not just the health aspect, but in the twentieth century, because of that increasing sedentariness, Americans became a lot more fixated on how you looked physically, especially weight, whether you were overweight or not, and there became a much greater emphasis on not being overweight, and that really dovetailed with the idea of taking care of your insides while also taking care of your outsides, and that really kind of provided the foundation for kind of funneling people into the exercise boom of the sixties and seventies. You could live longer, you could look better, so just go exercise. Let's all give it a try.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. And into the eighties is when you really saw a boom and women exercising more and more. The whole fitness movement was almost geared toward women at that point for a number of reasons. One was, you know, women trying to become more empowered, women gaining power and empowerment. The feminist movement that said, all right, if you're you're gonna do that in the workplace, why not be strong in your personal life, physically strong, strong like bull Yeah, exactly, and so be strong and your work life, be strong in your physical life. Title nine, of course, really helped things out because all of a sudden, girls sports were getting more funding and more attention. And then, like you said, the standards for physical attractiveness changing was for men and women and everyone across the gender spectrum exactly.
Speaker 2: So the first thing that really caught everybody's attention was jogging. That was the one that really laid the groundwork, and jogging grew out of legitimate running like it came most people peg. A New Zealand Olympic track coach named Arthur Lydiard as the guy who if he wasn't interested or involved in bringing jogging to the masses, he still was kind of like the inadvertent father of the whole thing, because in the sixties, he came up with training techniques for marathon runners that people still use today. It's really simple, really basic, but it's really effective. It's things like on a Monday, you run ten miles a half effort over hills and roads, and then Tuesday you do you know, flat fifteen mile run or something like that. I don't think that's exactly it, but people use it today. And the fact that there was now a framework that anybody could just buy this book or buy this pamphlet and approach jogging that really kind of helped usher people in. But again, bear in mind, this is an Olympic level track coach who's establishing this stuff, and this was people's first entree into jogging. So the earliest joggers were hard core, like scary. I'm a little nervous about them. And we're talking about people who are running around in the sixties and seventies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they.
Speaker 4: I think they like to be called runners, those types. Sure, they're like, you're a jogger, Chuck, Actually not even.
Speaker 2: That speed walker like Chris Paul, I should do speed walking to me, Jim, I'm sorry, speedwalking is way harder than jogging.
Speaker 4: Oh do you mean like on your cardio or just your body. Yeah, well cardio, yes, intent to look cool?
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, but.
Speaker 4: So in the mid nineteen sixties, a guy you may have heard of named Bill Bowerman. He was a running coach from the University of Oregon, Go Ducks and co founder of a little company called Nike. He published a pamphlet kind of based on stuff Arthur Lydiard had been talking about, and then eventually wrote this book that I remember seeing on in houses of like friends of mine.
Speaker 3: Really for sure it was. It was a very big book.
Speaker 4: It was called Jogging Colon even back then, a physical fitness program for all ages. He co wrote it with a cardiologist named W. E. Harris, talked about all the health benefits of running, and it really caught on. It's really funny though, like people still like it caught on, but it was still.
Speaker 3: Sort of a new thing.
Speaker 4: So The New York Times wrote an article that demonstrated and this was in April of nineteen sixty eight that like when people were running like co occasionally they had real stories, like a cop would stop and say like why are you running?
Speaker 3: What are you running from? Or what did you do? Or people that were.
Speaker 4: Runners and joggers said, you know, I like to run at night because people don't stare at me.
Speaker 3: It don't feel as weird. So it's just so funny to look back at, you know. And this was in the late sixties, that people jogging on the streets where you were like, what's up on that person? Why are they running?
Speaker 2: Right? And at night they like to run in all black with a black watch cap and black mask covering their eyes.
Speaker 3: Yes, very safe.
Speaker 2: There was another guy who really brought jogging to the masses. His name was Jim Fix. He wrote the Complete Book of Running, released in nineteen seventy seven, and he I remember there was a proselytizer for running, if there ever was one, it was him Fix. Yeah, And he ironically died while jogging. He ran himself to death. He had a massive heart attack while jogging. But he's still I mean, it doesn't really undo what he did, which was, Hey, everybody, let's let's go jog. And that's what Anchorman was referring to. Was that, right, the jogging trend that Jim Fix helped usher in in the late seventies.
Speaker 3: But there was another gym in the seventies. A man by the name of president Jim Carter, it'd be weird.
Speaker 2: So weird does sound weird? He's such a Jimmy, He totally is Jim. It seems like you'd have an overly strong handshake.
Speaker 3: Right, Jim Carter.
Speaker 2: Jim Carter, good to meet you. Yeah, what have you done for me lately?
Speaker 3: He high five.
Speaker 4: But this was at a time in the seventies when the president of the United States had influence on popular culture. Like I don't feel like presidents really have that much anymore. No, No, it's dying fast at least. And he was a jogger from the White House. This is the late seventies. He would jog sometimes ten twelve miles at a time, really got into it.
Speaker 3: And The New York Times wrote about this, of course.
Speaker 4: And you know, if if someone's in the White House jogging and running, then that normalizes it for a lot of America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I read an article about that. I don't know if it was the New York Times one or not, but he yeah, it wasn't New York Times. It chronicled him going on this run like he held like a fun run basically at Camp David, and he almost collapsed on one of the hills and had to be ushered off and taken to the hospital. Oh really, yeah, And he was like running with you know, dozens, scores, if not hundreds of other people on this fun run, and they were running with the president, and he had Secret Service guys running with them keeping pace. But he he had to leave the race that he helped organize because he just went too hard. That was how they used to do it.
Speaker 4: Did they say over a bullhorn now dropping out a runner of thirty two jim Carter?
Speaker 2: Shame, shame. That's how they used to.
Speaker 3: Do would you. Oh was that Sean Connery?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't mean it, but sure, I'll take that. Yeah, that was Sean Henri shaming Jimmy Carter on that run in the late seventies.
Speaker 3: It sounded like Sean you doing Sean Connery saying same. That's how it heard in my.
Speaker 4: Yes, shame traback so speaking of the New York Times, and I guess we'll take a break after this. But in the late nineties ninety seven they wrote an article kind of looking back on running and jogging, and they were keen to point out that, like even into the seventies, zho, it was still a bit of a subculture. Like you said, they were like running and jogging enthusiasts, But it wasn't like tons of mainstream Americans were running. It was still like what are those people doing? Like should I do that?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: All right? Okay, break time?
Speaker 2: I think it is break time.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll be right back with aerobics.
Speaker 2: Okay. So you've got jogging that's on the scene, then you have aerobics too. This was the one that was like probably the most popular thing of the eighties. If you ask me, I think I think aerobics dominated the eighties. Jogging the seventies, and aerobics was around a lot longer than just the eighties. It was one of those things where, you know, some people who were kind of into exercising kind of developed it on their own separately, and then it just took a little while to get more and more popular as word of mouth spread. But there's a guy named Kenneth Cooper who started it all again in the sixties. He was a US Air Force surgeon and he was like, you know those that weightlifting, the calisthetics that the military uses for training. It's all well and good, but these guys are like like dying on these these runs and jogs and hikes.
Speaker 3: They've got no aerobic stamina.
Speaker 2: Stamina exactly. So he started looking into it and he was like, I think we need to start using what we call now cardio. But Jack then it was aerobic exercise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was a jogger. He said, I think aerobics is being sold short. So he wrote a book in nineteen sixty eight called Aerobics, and he said, you know, running and walking and biking is what people should be doing. And that was his idea of aerobics at the time, was just getting that heart rate up sustaining it for an extended period of time. He had a pretty clever test where he could basically tell you in about twelve minutes what kind of like how good of shape you were in. But then what happened was really really awesome. Like I really love this section because my mom figures into this, which I'll get to as we as we go. But women in the United States said, you know, what they're talking about running and biking and walking, but what they're really talking about is getting your heart rate up for an extended period of time. So I'm going to make that my own. And there was one woman in particular, very early on, there were some real trailblazers here. She was a dance teacher, also an Air Force wife, no coincidence, by the name of Jackie Sorenson. She read that book, she took that fitness test and found out she was in really good shape. And she was like, but wait a minute, I don't run. How can I be in this good of shape. She was like, I'm a dancer. I'm getting my heart rate up. And so she in nineteen sixty nine came up with a danced base exercise class on the Air Force base in Puerto Rico where they were stationed, and the Air Force said, we should produce this as a TV show, which is really weird, and they did. It was called Aerobic Dancing, and eventually she published a book as well in the late seventies, but she I think was.
Speaker 3: One of the first ones. It really was like, you don't have to run.
Speaker 4: You can be in a room and do this as long as you get that heart rate up exactly.
Speaker 2: And also it just is much more engaging and fun. No too, you know, biking and jogging those are very frequently solitary pursuits. Aerobics was a bunch of people getting together in a room and having fun together to like popular music.
Speaker 3: Right yeah, clapping in, yelling and doing all that.
Speaker 2: Exactly and encouraging one another. So this was really attractive to women at the time because this was you know, they were still coming out of this social expectation that they shouldn't really be exercising, and now they were saying, you know, to heck with you guys, We're gonna do this anyway. And this was it was almost like there was strength in numbers, but there was also there was a social component to it as well. There was another woman named Judy Shepherd. She started out in the sixties as well, but she became the founder of jazzer Size. That's my mom used to jazzer size. I remember. She even had a poster of Judy Shepherd doing different moves that came with her record, like record, vinyl record. I should say, oh yeah, so my mom would do jazzer size at home. She went to jesuitize class, so she was into it for sure.
Speaker 4: It was originally called jazz and Dance for fun and fitness. Jazzer Size is way more marketable, and this to me, maybe the fact of the podcast it was a Jazzer Size, you know, was a copywritten or whatever, an owned title I hope by Judy Shepherd. I didn't look that up, but it ended up being a franchise, and in nineteen eighty four, Jazzer Size was the second biggest franchise company in the United States behind Domino's Pizza.
Speaker 2: That's really something because that was at the time when Dominoes is like, we're going to get your pizza in thirty minutes or lesser. It's free. So everybody was into Dominoes at the time.
Speaker 3: Is right before the NOID, I think right like two.
Speaker 2: Years before the NOID. I looked it up. So Judy Shepherd created what's known as the boutique fitness franchise model, where it was a specific kind of exercise, usually some sort of branded exercise like Jazzer Size, that you could go set up in a strip mall for a minimal initial output and people would come flock to your Jazzer Size studio. And you still see that today in certain places like Bar has a lot of like franchises, different kinds of franchises, curves, which we'll talk about later. That's a franchise. But Judy Shepherd started that with jazzer science.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very big deal. Then there was a woman named Gilda Marx, married into the Marx brothers family had taken when growing up. Apparently was a dancer and even worked out with weights, which was very unusual at the time because that would have been in I guess the thirties and forties. And in nineteen sixty or thereabouts, she was choreographing a show, a charity show in Los Angeles, created an exercise routine so all the dancers could you know, get in better shape, and everyone loved it. Everyone's like, this is awesome. And she said, wait a minute, I'm onto something here. So she in her backyard started aerobics classes, then rented studios, and then eventually and it became a very big and as you'll see, sort of when something becomes like a big Hollywood thing and celebrities do it, it becomes a popular thing everywhere, of course, and it was gonna Yes, that's surprising.
Speaker 3: And it was called Body by Gilda.
Speaker 4: And it was not only a big deal because Body by Gilda was a big deal, but it was a big deal because she ended up having two clients by the name of Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons.
Speaker 2: Yes, huge, like so so. Gilda Marx essentially created the popularity of aeroba and it's like jazzer size was there. It was very popular. The like aerobic dancing that was very popular too, But it was like celebrities like Jane Fonda and Richard Simmons who became a celebrity just for getting into exercise that really really increased it in popularity. And Jane Fonda just straight up ripped off Gilda Marx. She took a couple of her classes at a Body by Gilda in Century City and the next year she set up her own I think a couple of years later, she published Jane Fonda's Workout Book, which became an extremely popular bestseller. It was number one on the nonfiction list and stayed there for six months.
Speaker 3: By the way, two million books.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. We're almost there. We're getting there with our book, right, we're gnawing away at her record. But she also released a VHS tape that was wildly popular too. And that's why, I mean, people of a certain age today still associate Jane Fonda with exercise and aerobics, and then the people of a certain age parents associate her with funneling money to the Viet Cong, Right, still do for sure? Yeah, they're still mad about it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, still mad. Here's another stat for you. The Jane Fonda Workout Tape was the first non movie VHS tape to top the sales chart, and it was number one as far as VHS sales go for six years and the whole run of them.
Speaker 3: She ended up making.
Speaker 4: Follow up tapes, but the whole collected Jane fond of Workout Tape set has sold I'm sorry, between eighty two and ninety five sold seventeen million days.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's fun.
Speaker 4: I mean, numbers like that are amazing, she'd be. I don't even what that translates to and record sales, but it's what's the biggest platinum sellar?
Speaker 2: Double plat platinum's a million?
Speaker 3: Oh really, what's the best platinum or what's the high?
Speaker 2: I think they just keep going like triple platinum, quadruple platinum.
Speaker 1: That kind.
Speaker 3: So she was seventeen platinum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is extraordinarily impressive, and that really does put it into perspective because not a lot of records go platinum, especially not think of times over. Yeah exactly, Although I will say she didn't have that much competition back then. The only other two movies on VHS were Beverly Hills Cop and The Empire Strikes Back.
Speaker 3: Very nice.
Speaker 2: So the other person that was a body by Gilda graduate after just one class, it turned out, yeah, sort of was one of the greatest people ever to run around planet Earth. Richard Simmons. He if you're not familiar with Richard Simmons, or if you just know him from finding Richard Simmons podcast, even if you're just tangentially familiar with him from you know, living through the era where he was on TV everywhere all the time, go check out Richard Simmons' testimony before Congress. He span has a clip of it when he went and testified before Congress I think of the nineties, maybe early nineties, I think, And he gives it's Richard Simmons in a suit and tie, so just that is worth going to see. It's bizarre to see. But then he opens his mouth and it's just the same old Richard Simmons, and he gives this impassioned speech that like will kind of make you tear up a little bit and give you chills. And then he also had some laughs in there. He's just great, just a great person. And this guy everyone at the time thought he was just totally No one ever thought Richard Simmons was like he was never normal, right, but he was so himself that he just sucked people into his orbit and he became like a really really popular star, I would guess, one of the most famous people in the world for a brief period in the early eighties.
Speaker 4: Absolutely like you said, he got kicked out of body by Gilda and the one class that he went to by being Richard Simmons basically, and then eventually founded a business. At first it was an exercise studio slash salad bar. I get what he's trying to do there. It was called Roughage an anatomy asylum. And then eventually he was like, you know, let's drop the salad bar. Let's just make it a fitness center. Then obviously had the Richard Simmons Show in nineteen eighty, started putting out those VHS tapes in eighty three, and then in the late eighties. It's all leading to this moment he puts out Sweating to the Oldies, which I believe to date has grossed over two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 2: Amazing. It became the best selling home fitness video ever, not Jane Fonda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to the top of the heap, take that Pink Floyd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't forget deal a Meal. Remember that was wildly successful too.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, that was it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was like some color coded cards and you could put different color coded cards together in your little Dealer meal portfolio and that would be your meal for the day. And if you followed these the instructions, you would be able to lose weight. And he was really into losing weight because he had been very overweight as a child, and he was dedicated to making sure that other people didn't suffer the way that he suffered. Yeah, and he was very much dedicated, very sweet. He he wasn't a phony, I guess. No.
Speaker 3: He was true to himself. He wanted to have fun while he worked out. I love the guy. I know you do too. He's just he's just one of the great humans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He was also on a letterman a lot like frequently great for sure, because he had a sense of humor about himself. He wasn't like unaware of what people how people looked at him.
Speaker 4: He just didn't care, and they both played their part. I think Letterman he wasn't. I don't think, honestly, don't think Letterman was as genuinely freaked out and turned off by Richard Simmons in real life. I think it was all just a bit and he's great. And you know, I didn't follow the I didn't listen to h finding Richard Simmons, but I did sort of follow the story a little bit, and like my big takeaway was, and I know they may have meant well because they thought he was being held against his will, but I love that the end result was like Richard Simmons is fine, leave him alone, he doesn't want to be bothered anymore. Just him, let him live his life, you know. So winding down the talk of aerobics is when I want to talk about my mom for a minute, because Lyvia points out that, you know, it was marketed to women as a way to like get in shape and lose weight, but also to empower yourselves and to have some time with other women. And my mom was like, and it sounds like your mom to a certain degree, but my mom specifically was sort of ideally in all the wrong ways, situated to really get into this because she was. It was in the eighties. She was in a very unhappy marriage. Without getting into a lot of specifics, it was it was not a good scene in my house, and my parents didn't like each other much. My dad wasn't a supportive good guy, and my mom dove into aerobics at the American Fitness Center like I'd never seen anyone dive into something.
Speaker 3: Before, become an instructor. She became an instructor.
Speaker 4: She later became a spinning instructor into her seventies I think, or at least late sixties.
Speaker 3: And my dad was and I didn't.
Speaker 4: Really realize this at the time, but this is all what was sort of just coming into my eyeballs and my ear holes as a kid. He was not supportive of it. He was threatened by it. He was a I wish I could cuss. He was a real jerk about it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: It's just interesting to look back at, like there were a lot of women like my mom, I think in the eighties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could see him like talking her down about it and her just being like, I can't hear you. I'm empowering myself right now.
Speaker 4: Did your mom do this like would she just sit around while the TV was on and do like leglists and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was into all sorts of stuff like that, like just had any like made for TV, not made for TVs as seen on TV. Like exercise item we probably had, remember the thigh master, Oh sure, and that one thing It was like kind of a weird metal cradle that helped you do sit ups and crunches better. You just kind of rock back and forth on. We had one of those. Had the mini trampolines. We had all that.
Speaker 3: I remember it was called the something Rocker. I think, actually I do remember.
Speaker 2: Probably it had to have been not that was a real miss.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But just to cherry on top of this with my mom, I think not only was it empowering for her, but I think it was also I think she was totally sticking it to my dad At.
Speaker 2: The same time. I don't think my mom was trying to stick it to my dad. But yeah, she sure liked aerobics. Yeah, I'm sure it was empowering for her too, definitely for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: All right, so second break, second break starting now, all right, so we need to talk about gems and gym culture. The word gymnasium comes from the Greek gymns for naked They in Germany. I think in the eighteen hundreds that's all. They got real into gyms for a while and exercising, but it was very spotty and obviously not a very big thing at all culturally in the world for the most part. But gyms were known, you know, like YMCA's in the sixties and seventies were around.
Speaker 4: They were kind of not great. They kind of were stinky, like any gym back then just wasn't like an awesome place to go, Like, you didn't feel great walking into one usually. But in nineteen thirty nine, a couple of gyms opened that were that really changed the game. This is nineteen thirty nine. Jack Lalane, health guru legend, opened what's looked at as the very first health club in the United States in Oakland, California, And that same year a guy named Vic Tanny opened up a gym his first gym in Santa Monica and Your Muscle Beach, both in nineteen thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jack Lalane became kind of like that generation's well I was gonna say Charles Atlas, but they kind of overlapped its same time. I saw him on a nineteen eighty something episode of The Richard Simmons Show as like a special cast. But he was like a big proselytizer and he told everybody to go work out because they're getting pudgy, that kind of stuff. Vic Tanny he went a different way. He, from what I can tell, established the health club, which was huge in the seventies and eighties. Health clubs where it was a place where you could go not just work out with weights or whatever, but they might have a pool, they probably had a racketball court. A few of us for sure, they might have Apparently some Vic Tanny clubs had ice skating rinks. I mean like it was like you would go and you could spend hours there and they were really nice. But vic Tanny's whole model, I guess he overspent because they went out of business I think in the sixties. But they were so so beloved that other owners, local owners and sometimes regional owners would just start buying them up and just turn them into something else, which is still a model that gets followed today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like if you like to go to a gym that has a whirlpool at a sauna and a steam room and like you said, a racketball court. Like you can thank Vic Tanny for that. He was the guy that came up with this sort of all encompassing really like something for everyone and also a place that you want to go to that's not smelly and gross.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean, they're always a little bit smelly, It depends.
Speaker 2: It depends. We used to go to one called Urban Active and it did not smell, and Urban hold out to La Fitness and it began to smell. Yeah, it was very disappointing. Man, I'm telling you. The men's sauna totally fine, and then within weeks it was like this smells like button here. I can't even say in ten minutes.
Speaker 3: Did the rules change or the cleaning methods?
Speaker 2: Like the cleaning methods, it's the explanation.
Speaker 3: Did everyone never mind?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't know, because I don't think the clientele changed that quickly. You know, everybody's membership got transferred over. It's just I think they stopped cleaning the butt smell out of this aunus, which is what you want to do if you have a public sawn.
Speaker 4: Okay, So now the health club is established in the sort of mid early to mid nineteen sixties, like you said, people jumped in there when Vic Tanny's chain went out of business.
Speaker 3: Some were mom and pops.
Speaker 4: Sometimes companies would come in to start their own new jam and buy up a bunch of them. Nautilus was one of those that bought up a bunch of Victanny's closed stores or what are we calling fitness centers stores, And Nautilus was a big deal because it's like, hey, like free weights can be intimidating for some people, and like at Nautilus you can just change the setting and it's a big machine and it's the same as freeweights. I don't really know if it's the actual same or not, but they marketed it as like you're still lifting weights.
Speaker 2: No, it's true, you definitely are. And it allowed people a lot more entry into it. Like today, like you go into a gym, there's so many machines there. That's directly from Arthur Jones and his Nautilus machines that he he started creating by hand. Basically he was like a Kellogg brother.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, I like those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. His whole thing was you you can also exercise, get a full exercise or full workout and much shorter amount of time than you could with weights, and he basically emphasized working out until you just you you had a temporary muscle failure and then you knew you were done with your workout for the day. Right, So seriously, that's what he encouraged.
Speaker 3: Muscle failure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Uh So by the seventies when these clubs were opening up, there were there were a couple of different models. One was sort of the country club style that was probably a country club and also had like racket sports and all that other stuff, whirlpool and steam room. And then there was the ones that my mom went to and probably your mom went to that was probably in a shopping center. Some of those could be really good and some of them were pretty CREDI like anything else. If it's just sort of not some huge chain, you know, some are gonna be awesome, some aren't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my family went belonged to several different racket clubs in Toledo, And the reason why so many is because we had a long string of getting like your multi year memberships at a racquet club and then within a few months it would just go under. So we'd move on to the next racket club and they'd take a lot of our money too. So I think we did this at least three times that I was aware of when I was a kid. But we always had a racket club membership somewhere.
Speaker 4: I fully thought you were gonna say, because you had a run of getting expelled as a family went around.
Speaker 2: Luckily not, No, we knew how to am in.
Speaker 3: Okay, I wish that would have been the case. That would have been a good time.
Speaker 2: I can lie if you want to go back and re record that part.
Speaker 3: No, that's right.
Speaker 2: So I think one of the gyms that people associate with gyms in general is Gold Gym, And even still to this day, that's like if you if you want serious training and you're going to like you're not messing around, You're not there to meet anybody except maybe a mentor who's going to teach you how to get even more buff.
Speaker 3: That's where you would go as a Golds gym for sure.
Speaker 4: That was started by a bodybuilder named Joe Gold. And yeah, you're totally right. I mean since the sixties it has that rep. Is like a sort of serious weightlifters gym Bally Total Bally Total Fitness, which if I'm not mistaken, there may still be some independent American fitness centers, but the ones that we belonged to, I believe Bally bought them out and took them over.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken, Well, Bally's gone now.
Speaker 2: I saw a twenty fifteen article there were five left in the world.
Speaker 3: Really well this is a name.
Speaker 2: Ok.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was during the boom Sure and that was founded by a former employee of Vic Tanny named Donna Hugh Wildman, and like you said, was huge and then sort of gave way to a their places like La Fitness and twenty four hour Fittes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that whole reputation of gyms and health clubs being impossible to cancel your membership and taking advantage of you, that model was paided by Ballytotal Fitness. They were the ones. Yeah, like they would you signed up for a three year contract, but they didn't tell you that when you were signing up, like business tactics like that. I wrote a story about a woman who signed up for a lifetime contract in nineteen eighty seven, paid fifty three dollars I think a year and was still getting billed after Ballytotal Fitness went like bankrupt, Like that's how much of it like shady they were. They could still bill you even though they weren't around any longer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. It was the cell phone contract of.
Speaker 2: The exactly exactly, but that came from Ballytotal Fitness and then twenty four hour Fitness actually won a different way. A guy named Mark Mastrov was the first one to institute monthly memberships rather than the standard annual ones.
Speaker 3: Great ideeah for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people loved it and they got that name after Mastroff realized it was originally six am to eleven, but he was like, people are out here waiting for this place to open. They don't want to leave at the end of the night, So screw it, I'm taking the locks off the door exactly.
Speaker 2: Let yourselves in have a great time.
Speaker 4: What else, So you mentioned Curves, That is a huge thing. There were women centric or women only fitness clubs like as early as the nineteen sixties, but Curves is the first one that was really like, you know what, if you're over forty five and you're a woman and you don't want to go to the gym to get hit on by these gross guys and get galcked at or laughed at or whatever, come to curves, we got a program for you. It was started by a husband and wife team, Gary and Diane Heaven with an Eye, and I believe at one point or maybe still, it's the largest fitness franchise in the world.
Speaker 2: They had like one hundred thousand different one hundred thousand locations, ten thousand Oh was it okay? Still?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's still a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, And again it was all over the world, so it was pretty cool. Also, by the way, I to myself pronounced their last name he even, but I like your interpretation much more really, Yeah, okay, so Chuck. There's still plenty of fitness clubs around. I think LA Fitness is the leader, with more than two billion in revenue a year. But one of the things that really kind of happened starting in the nineties was that the kind of fitness crazy just spread out. There was jogging, aerobics, and maybe going to the gym, and then health clubs kind of started. And then finally people are like, we've done all this for a decade or so, now we need some other stuff. So in a few cases they actually went back to the future and grabbed some established means of working out or exercising and revamped it for the for the new millennium.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and yoga was certainly one of those. I just started yoga two weeks ago, by the way, Yeah, for the first time.
Speaker 2: In the last month or so. It's kind of gotten under my skin. It's really awesome, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's kicking my butt too. And I didn't underestimate. I wasn't like, oh, you're just stretching and you're on the floor and doing stuff like posing and stuff. It wasn't like I thought it was going to be easy. But it's kicking my butt and I'm like more sore than I've been doing almost anything else.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. You also gained strength very quickly, though, like surprisingly.
Speaker 4: Quickly, and balance, and yoga is a great thing to pick up at any time, but especially like you know, in your fifties, because balance and core strength and all that stuff as you age is really super important.
Speaker 3: For sure, It's always important. Yeah, well, yeah, flexibility.
Speaker 4: But yoga started, you know, in the nineteenth century and in the sixties and then seventies or a couple of really big PBS shows that grabbed the attention of a lot of people and it's just always been pretty popular and has never been more popular than it is now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the nineteenth century is when it first was introduced to the United States.
Speaker 3: I think, oh, is it like an ancient practice? Probably?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, it goes way back, way back.
Speaker 3: I think that's what I meant.
Speaker 2: And there's where my one hundred thousand came from that I was confused about curves. There's at least one hundred thousand yoga studios in the United States alone, and one thing that's cool about yoga in particular is there are some franchises, which is fine, but most yoga studios are independently owned. They're just somebody who loves yoga so much they opened up their own studio and you can come to yoga there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that's kind of the same with our next not fad because it's been around for a while, but pilates. It's kind of similar in that people will a lot of mom and pop pilates places like for instance, the person I dated in New Jersey, she ended up after I left and we broke up and stuff. She moved to Savannah, Georgia from New Jersey and started up her own plate studio and This wasn't something that she did at all when I was there, So it's definitely something I think that, like yoga, people can get into it and really get into it such that either I want to be an instructor or I want to open up my own business around it.
Speaker 2: Sure, and plates was named after Joseph Platts. I think you said.
Speaker 3: I didn't say that, Oh, okay, So it is.
Speaker 2: Named after Joseph Platts. He was a German circus performer and his circus happened to be in the UK when World War One broke out and they said, oh you're German, We're going to lock you up for four years while the war goes on. So he and his whole troop spent World War One locked up in the UK. And while he was there, he started developing an exercise regimen based on stretching that apparently saw cats chasing mice and birds around the prison, and so he came up with these exercises that imitated that. He claimed that when the nineteen eighteen flu epidemic came to the island that he was imprisoned on, not one person who followed his exercise regimen got sick from it. Whether that's true or not, it's a pretty great story. And then one other great story about him is that he smoked fifteen cigars and drank a leader of booze every day.
Speaker 3: What a guy.
Speaker 2: And he was like one of the gurus of fitness from I mean we're talking back in the teens in nineteen twenties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's amazing. I should probably plug Carol's studio. Oh yeah, it's a Momentum Pilate studio and Samannah and I haven't been in touch with her since then, So go to Momentum and tell him.
Speaker 3: Tell her Chuck sent't you and she'll I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure she'll say like, oh, yeah, whatever happened to that guy?
Speaker 2: Nice? Very nice. And the people who come will say, oh, let us tell you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she'd be like a pod what.
Speaker 2: So Bars another one. They were definitely worth mentioning because it incorporates elements of ballet, yoga, pilates and it's named after the bar that well basically the handrail that runs across the length of a wall that ballerinas frequently used. But it was created by a German ballerina in the forties or fifties now the fifties who fled to England. She was her name was Lottie Burke, and she was a free love advocate and so when she established bar in the Bar exercises, she also coupled it with not only is this going to make you feel great, it's going to help your sex life. And that was an overt message of taking bar from this through the sixties and the seventies.
Speaker 3: I would have pronounced that, by the way, Lota.
Speaker 2: Well, unlucky for you, I said it.
Speaker 4: First, you gather a very like Wisconsin e lotty ring to it, Lotti, give me a lotty lotty. Burke boot camp workouts became very popular in the nineties. Obviously took on that sort of military style training where you didn't need a lot of stuff, You just needed to meet a bunch of strangers in a city park and have someone yell at you for an hour for sure.
Speaker 3: What about Tybo?
Speaker 2: Tybo was created by Billy Blanks, who was legit. He was the US Karate team captain for US Karate and the US Olympic Karate team, so he was I mean, he knew what he was doing, and he created Tybo, which kind of incorporated kickboxing aerobics. If you've ever seen if you were alive. I guess in probably the nineties you saw the Billy Blanks Tybo infomercial and he managed to sell a ton of tapes from that infomercial. It was a very successful infomercial. I'm not sure how much tibo is done still today, but I looked it up to see if it was, you know, is it legit? And it definitely is a legit workout.
Speaker 4: Oh sure, it's a butt kicker. I tried it once and I was like, I can't do this. Yeah, but it was another example of one of those that really caught on in Hollywood in LA and so it had a short, short ish life. I'm sure people still do it, but the big Tybo craze.
Speaker 3: Was a few years for sure.
Speaker 4: What about high intensity interval training hitt hit. I know this as Toabada because I was seeing a trainer for a while and we did. She put me through Toabada basically every time. And that was named after a sports scientist's named Izumi Tabata who in the mid nineties was working with Olympic speed skating coaches to create what was a form of high intensity interval training.
Speaker 2: Right where you do something like pushups or burpies or mountain climbers or something like that for maybe twenty seconds, rest for ten seconds, and then you're immediately off into the next exercise for twenty seconds, and sometimes after four minutes you might get a minute of rest. It depends on how long the Tobata workout is. Like a twelve minute one, you would not get any rest in between. Certainly not a minute, I should say. But the point is you're getting a high intensity workout in a very short amount of time. So you're doing like a twelve to twenty minute workout and you're getting the same impact that you would have gotten from say like a thirty to forty minute workout of lower intensity, but still not low intensity, I mean moderate intensity training. This is just super duper intensity, high intensity training, and Tabata definitely established that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great if you're short on time. Obviously, I think our workouts were thirty minutes, and you know, they were great.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed it. There were butt kickers, but I liked.
Speaker 2: It, yeah, I should say. Speaking of Toabada Japanese guy, you reminded me that like exercise is really really big in Japan, so much so that people have or definitely had loud speakers in their house and like in their local community or maybe even their region. Every morning they would be like, good morning, it's time to do exercises, and everybody would do the same exercises in their house to the voice over the loud speakers called radio taiso.
Speaker 3: Oh interesting. And they also did like corporate calisthenics and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, they were just into like collective exercise for a long time.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 4: And then the last couple we'll talk about are zumba and CrossFit. Zumba very popular, still popular. Apparently was created by accident in the mid nineties by Alberto Beto Perez and he was a sixteen year old aerobics teacher in Colombia. Apparently, as the story goes, at least forgot the usual music and said, I'll just play the music that I have and it turned into sort of a fun Latin dance exercise class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just took off like a rocket. I think he was on the cover of Ink magazine once. I mean like he just like it was just crazy how how much it took off. And it's still huge. Soom was still very much popular a couple of decades later. And then CrossFit is wildly popular too, not among everybody, but the people that it's popular with. It's wildly popular, so much so that it's commonly referred to as like a cult or something like that, because people love talking about CrossFit and proselytizing for it. But the point of CrossFit is kind of like what Arthur Jones, the Nautilus creator, was talking about, where you work out until you are you like just short of injuring yourself, essentially, where you feel like you want to throw up and like you can't do anymore. And it combines weightlifting, gymnastics, a bunch of different stuff, but it's a really really intense workout that you really have to work your way up to. You shouldn't just jump into a CrossFit class. And if you go to a good CrossFit boxes what the studio are called, they're not going to just let you jump into it, right, because you can really hurt yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm CrossFit. Doesn't interesting you know me either.
Speaker 2: We've done it before and it's not fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm making yoga though Emily and are doing it together. It's fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you like CrossFit, hey man, we're not yucking your young well, of course our own personal experience, so settle down.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to work out until I throw up. That's me. Yeah, for sure, this is a good one.
Speaker 2: It was a good one. I hope we inspired you to do some exercise because it's good for you. I don't care what anybody says. It's good for you. And even if it's not good for weight loss, which we found over the years, definitely not, it's good for mental health. I think we've said plenty of times. So just that alone.
Speaker 3: Makes it worthwhile, very worthwhile.
Speaker 2: If you want to know more about exercising, then just start. It's really easy these days. And since I said that, it's time for listener.
Speaker 3: Mail, I'm going to call this coliseum follow up.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys, quick note about the how do we pronounce it hippogium or hypogem?
Speaker 3: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I think I called it a hypogium.
Speaker 3: Hypogum, all right.
Speaker 4: Quick note about the Hypogeum and the mock naval battles that were reportedly held inside the Colosseum. As you noted, the Hypogeum was created after the Amphitheater was built. The flooding of the floor of the Colosseum only happened in the first decade of the structure and before the hypogm Hypogeum sorry was dug and created. Once the Hypogeum was constructed, it was no longer possible to flood and drain the Colosseum.
Speaker 3: That makes sense, and that is from Dave Stemble.
Speaker 2: Dave those great, to the point authoritative, like a shake from Jim Carter.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: If you want to get in touch with this like Dave Dave did, Dave's got a great handshake too, I'm sure you can send us an email. Send it off to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com. Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.