Speaker 1: I Am all in.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: I Am Scott Patterson. This is the I Am All In Podcast, one on one interview, one of them productions iHeart Radio. We have a very special guest, Eric Valdez, and I am joined by Tara Suit and Tara, I understand that you are acquainted with Eric.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not Eric for I don't know, like six seven years.
Speaker 3: It's a long time. Yeah, and I met my wife.
Speaker 5: Who's really good friends with their Yeah, Cannie and I have been together for almost eleven years.
Speaker 1: It's been a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I worked with Candace when I was working at Radio Disney and then met Eric.
Speaker 1: Come there, Well, you're from Lubbock, Texas. You're born there, your mom and dad, Miguel and Karen. You're Mexican, Spanish and Native American, which tribe.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: On my mom's side, her grandmother was full blood Cherokee, and my dad's side of the family, my grandmother, it depends on how you want to look at it.
Speaker 3: She grew up in a village called Tecolo.
Speaker 5: In New Mexico, but that was Mexico prior to the Border movie. So she's both Mexican and Native American, depending on how you want.
Speaker 3: To look at it. So that was I want to say Peblo tribe.
Speaker 5: I can't remember exactly, but but yeah, so I've I've got a little bit of a little bit of a lot of things in me.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 1: So you were in theater for years in high school and then you pursued acting film in television. You moved to Los Angeles in two thousand and four. He debuted as Chad in three episodes of Gilmore Girls. You made a guest appearance in television shows including CSI, Miami nine to two and Zero Numbers and Mistresses, best known for his role as Trey Mitchell, and soap opera General Hospital, Carlo Carlito Solano Junior in the drama television series Graceland twenty fourteen fifteen, Kyle Cushing in the superhero television series Superman and Lowist twenty twenty one to present, and your bona fides on Gilmore You appeared in three episodes Chad in.
Speaker 3: C three episodes. Yeah, there's a there's some really good story to all of that.
Speaker 1: Well, we're here to hear it.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, to your point, it essentially is a glorified extra that role. But it all happened thanks to a guy by the name of Kenny or tagup Sure who you probably remember. So long story short, Yeah, I grew up doing theater in Texas and everything knew I wanted to come out to LA at some point. It took me a while to get out there, and in the interim kind of a you know, a daytime job, so to speak.
Speaker 3: For about three and a half years, and from ninety nine to like two thousand and four there thereabouts, I worked for Southwest Airlines.
Speaker 5: I was a flight attendant and that helped me get to and from LA when I wasn't living that was in Arizona at the time, had a little bit of a flexible schedule and allowed me to audition, et cetera. And all that ties into this because on a plane one day from Vegas to Burbank was after the Billboard Music Awards, you know, hype crowd.
Speaker 3: They just got through with an award show.
Speaker 5: Half of them were probably hung over, et cetera, but they were all in good moods. And you know, thirty minute flight, short flight. You give me a captive audience and an aluminum tube and I'm going to entertain people.
Speaker 1: That's what I've always said.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so all of that is to say that as we're deeplaning and burbank, everybody's getting off, this one guy's kind of standing there and as everybody leaves, he waits at the front of the plane. He's like, I just have to ask you a question. He goes, are you an actor? I said I am. He's like, I should know you. And I had no idea who this guy was at the time, and said, yeah, sure, I'm friendly to everybody. Was really nice guy and wrote down his number on a card and said, if you're in LA for an extended period of time, give me a shout.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: So did wrote his name down, and I went home that night. And this is two thousand and two, two thousand and one, I don't know what it was, probably two thousand and two, So infancy of Google, all right. So I went home and I googled the name Kenny Ortega, and the first thing that popped up was a picture of him and I think Oprah Winfrey. It was holding some Emmy awards he had won for like choreographing the opening and closing ceremonies of.
Speaker 3: The Salt Lake City Olympicus. I think it was.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, okay, this is legit because back then, if you appeared in a Google search like you were somebody, because it was, it was very new.
Speaker 3: And so I did. I ended up reaching out to him.
Speaker 5: It's a long story about toll keep it somewhat short, and we had dinner. He asked me what I wanted to do career wise. I told him and kind of talked me in the move in to La earlier than expected. It was always in the books, always a plant, and at the time I really had nothing else going on.
Speaker 3: I was racing cars as well.
Speaker 5: I was pursuing motorsports and entertainment at the same time, and living in Arizona working at the bonder On Schools and instructor working at Southwest Airlines, trying to make all this stuff work.
Speaker 1: So so you're telling us you're extremely risk averse at I mean, you don't like to take chances at all, do you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no.
Speaker 5: It's two really stupid career choices to pursue, but one of them worked out, so no, I uh, I ended up moving to La. Fast forward a bit in the story and Kenny kind of created this little opportunity on Gilmore Girls. He was erecting a handful of episodes back then and he said, look, I'm gonna I'm gonna bring you in on this.
Speaker 3: I said, cool.
Speaker 5: It was my very first time stepping on the Warner Brothers a lot doing anything in television.
Speaker 3: It was really cool, And yeah.
Speaker 5: I was technically I think I had one line cumulatively over three episodes or something.
Speaker 3: But it got me. They tapped heart lead me, so it got me.
Speaker 5: In the union and it just got me around, you know, the whole the whole being on set thing, which was all new to me, and all that is thanks to to Kenny and and it all started it. And you know they're in Stars Hollow, which is which is pretty cool.
Speaker 1: That is a nice story. That is a nice man doing a nice thing for a Yeah, for a for a young actor. I love hearing those stories. Kenny is a favorite of ours on this show.
Speaker 3: He's a pretty amazing human.
Speaker 1: We love his episodes. They are they really sparkle, you know, they really stand out. You can always tell it's a Kenny Ortega directed episode. There's something always very special and everything jumps out at you when it's supposed to. So what do you remember about your first day on set? Who did you meet, who'd you interact with.
Speaker 5: I remember vividly walking onto set and seeing the water tow. That was, you know, growing up. I think all of us have seen that water tower on TV or promos or whatever, and it was just kind of a really cool moment to see that and be on this, this real life.
Speaker 3: Movie set, so to speak.
Speaker 5: Because again, as a kid from Texas, you know, theater is cool. I still love theater. I haven't done much of that in years. Kind of want to get back to that. But you know, I'd never been on a movie set. I've never been on a back lit. I've never seen any of this, so it was a lot to take in.
Speaker 3: It was really cool.
Speaker 5: And then yeah, I just, you know, with Kenny kind of being the you know, the friend, et cetera, I got to hang with him, and so I wasn't you know, in the in the you know, background tint or anything. I was kind of sitting in a chair behind him watching some of the scenes, and you know, I was I was in and out throughout the day the first day, but I stayed there all day and just kind of visited with him and kind of watched them. I'm a big observer. I think as actors we kind of all are inherently We're always kind of looking at surroundings and take and things. Man, And for me, it was just it was a really cool moment. And I can't remember.
Speaker 3: If it was if it was who all was there that day.
Speaker 5: I definitely worked alongside you because I had some I didn't do any scenes that you were in, but I remember might have been day Warner or soon after you guys were shooting something in the cafe there and they were waiting for some setup, setting up some shots, and I remember saying, yeah.
Speaker 3: We got to Scott Patterson flying in blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: And literally as naive as I was like is he like coming in on a helicopter?
Speaker 3: Like what does that mean? Flying in?
Speaker 1: As I would come in a helicopter frequently.
Speaker 3: I was like, this dude is a baller. This is awesome.
Speaker 1: And they just sort of tell me to jump out, you know, go ahead and jump out, They'll catch you. I stopped trusting them after a couple of surgeries.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I remember that, and you know, just kind of getting to I stayed back.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to, you know, interfere with.
Speaker 5: The process obviously, but I just I really watched you guys and and and you know, everybody who had been on the show at this point, Like you said, I think it was season five, so y'all kind of had this this family, you know, And now fast forward to this part of my career, I have experienced that and like getting you know, you get to know your crew and your cast mates and everybody to a level that's in some ways deeper than your own blood family because you spend so much time with them. And I remember watching that and watching you guys interact and watching this this dance that happens in between setups and then you know, the stuff that you guys bring to life, you know. George Anthony Bell was another you know, friend of mine. I think he was a script supervisor at the time, really really sweet guy that I got introduced to through through Kenny, and I would sit there and watch what he did and you know, just kind of observe everything, and it was man, it's it's the best, like, you know, form of boot camp that that you could ever be thrown into.
Speaker 3: Just to get the opportunity to watch something not just a.
Speaker 5: TV show, but at the time like one of the most successful TV sho shows out there.
Speaker 3: Uh So, I don't take that lightly. It was a huge blessing.
Speaker 1: So what was was there a difficult part to it? There was what was the hardest part about being an extra in the background.
Speaker 5: That was the only time I did that, and it was the hardest part for me. Again, and it wasn't even as I wasn't treated. I don't want to say extras are treated poorly. You know, they can be, which is a really sad thing, but they are you know, kind of putting their own little area in their own tents. They're told where to go, when to go, et cetera. And it is more mechanical than anything. I had a different experience obviously, you know, getting to kind of hang with Kenny.
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 5: But during setups and you know, then during the scenes that we would shoot and everything like that, Kenny made sure I was on camera and I was, you know, hanging with I think technically this chat which was like made up name, I guess, I don't even think it was really credited, but he was Matt Schuckery at the time, was Rory's new love interest on the show, and and I was one of his like frat boys, right, So it was like this featured frat fraternity brother type things. So I would be in some certain scenes with him, and I think the hardest part of it for me, you know, was not not that I need to be the star by any means, but but as an actor, like you want to act, you want you know, you want to be out there and you want to create, and you want to be in these scenes and interact with everybody. And as a background actor, you know, oftentimes you're you're just you're there for the ambiance and you contribute, but it's not as fulfilling as as you kind of wanted to be, you know.
Speaker 1: What was So what do you remember the scenes he did with Matt.
Speaker 5: There was one, there was one out in the field man all this I haven't talked about this in forever, and all of it's kind of coming back. I think, Uh, what's his name? Eric the stunt who was your stunt coordinator at the time.
Speaker 3: Eric. His dad's.
Speaker 1: Super famous too, Eric, Eric the stunt guy?
Speaker 3: He was, he was a stunt coordinator for a while.
Speaker 1: Eric. I don't, I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, either way, he he was doing something and I kind of got roped into this stunt thing out in the field where I think Matt's character jumped from this with the umbrella.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's an iconic episode.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: And I don't I don't even know if I if you can even see me in that scene, to be honest, I can't.
Speaker 3: I haven't watched the episode forever.
Speaker 5: But that was like the first time I was kind of roped into something beyond the background realm and and can he introduce.
Speaker 3: Me to Eric?
Speaker 5: And I ended up doing some pseudo stunt thing. I don't even know what it was. It was like carrying something and jumping.
Speaker 3: It wasn't anything big, but that that was one interaction with him.
Speaker 5: Another one was some scene where there was a bunch of roses and we all kind of get on our say, picked me, pick me to to I think it was a Valentine's Stay thing or something. Almost twenty years ago at this point. But yeah, there was a couple of those types of scenes with with him. And I did get to talk to Matt, and I talked to Jared kind of like he you know, a bit, just really nice guys, and I really enjoyed I remember watching Matt work and I really I really liked what he did as a as an actor and with the character.
Speaker 1: And everybody did that stuck out to you?
Speaker 5: His Again, this was like first time being on set in a TV show, so it's different than you know, theater preparation, et cetera. And watching him kind of it wasn't It wasn't like he went into some sort of method thing by any means, but like watching him prepare while set up was happening, to go into filming a scene, you could tell like he put us all into it. He wasn't, you know, he had fun and everything, but but it was it was still when it came time to work and came time to film, his work ethic was really what stood out to me. And then you know, he would bring this character of life in such a natural way that.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, but that always kind of stuck with me.
Speaker 5: And I haven't talked to him since, so you know, you know, I have no interaction beyond those few times we quote unquote worked together. But it was just really cool to watch him work and kind of watch his process and everything.
Speaker 3: As as a young actor not knowing much about things.
Speaker 1: You know, it's it's it's it's amazing what you can pick up just by observing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is.
Speaker 1: It's it's value, very very valuable experience. So when was the last time you watched the episode that you're actually the episodes that you're in, She's sad, all the all the did you did you watch them twenty years ago?
Speaker 5: Of course, at the time, it was like, you know, my parents and every and everybody thought it was the coolest thing in the world because I appeared for you know, two seconds at a time here and there on a TV show and again as a kid from Texas, that's more than a lot of people ever get.
Speaker 3: To do in television and film.
Speaker 5: And so we watched it at the time and it was you know, my parents are very proud still and always have been supportive and everything, and I remember that, you know, but I don't think I've ever really gone back to watch definitely not to like single my episodes out, because it wasn't you know, it wasn't anything.
Speaker 3: There's no performance there to kind.
Speaker 1: Of the ones that you were in were the best episodes there.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wasn't going to say, let's just agree.
Speaker 1: On that, like holding the keg is not easy. Come on, did you come in with the keg?
Speaker 3: I did come in with the Was you.
Speaker 1: Going into the wake into That's right, that's what that was. Yeah, it was awake.
Speaker 4: Do you get people who like do you get people who are binging? And then they're like, oh, I saw you in an episode? Like do you get that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 5: Which is which is really strange to me because again, the screen time was minimal. But you know, I think once you it's like any actor and by no means Tom Cruise at this point, but I've been in enough thing is where people.
Speaker 1: Have not yet yet not yet, but uh, you.
Speaker 5: Know when you get to the point where people have kind of seen some of your body of work and everything, and then they go back and revisit, you know, a show like this, and I've had people literally hit up myself for my wife and be like, wait a minute, was was that was that?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 5: And the like you know have to rewind and like send me a little screenshot or whatever.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, that's what I did.
Speaker 4: I was like, I was like, I think we made it to the episode ericson because we watched we watch episode by episode and it's been you know, five seasons now, so, but I think this was your first and I think the other ones are coming up right after.
Speaker 3: So there's somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's amazing. Yeah, I thought you stole the scene. My eye went right to you. That's how I remembered it. Keg came in, so I went, yeah, that's the guy. That's the guy you did.
Speaker 3: Remember you did remember I did. I was iconic.
Speaker 2: Did you guys already dig into all sort of the like nuances of being a background actor on Gilmore?
Speaker 1: I mean we could, we could dig a little more. You bring up particular type of spade and shovel.
Speaker 2: I gat question for Eric from back then because obviously not now now you're doing much more. But did you do background acting on other shows? And was there a difference between when you were on Gilmore Girls and other shows.
Speaker 5: No, And I mentioned this a little bit earlier, this was the only time I ever did any sort of background work. Really, it wasn't something I wanted to do. Mind you, it's it's a great you know, it's a great way to experience set and everything like that. But for me, just uh, I think the kind of what I mentioned the Scott a while ago, I think the watching everything happen and as kind of an observer, and you know, sometimes a glorified prop is not as fulfilling as as I wanted it to be. And so for me, it wasn't really an avenue I wanted to go around. I did value the experience being on set, but you know, I kind of mentioned to him it's a great point.
Speaker 2: So for someone listening, how does someone go from Because if someone wants to be an actor, right, they don't even know where to begin, and background acting does seem like the logical thing. So how do you make that jump? That's something I've never asked Scott either. It's like, how do you make that jump where people take you know, know that you have enough experience to have an act, you know, five lines or whatever it is. How do you Maybe that's a good question for both of you. How do you do that?
Speaker 1: Well, there's a couple of there's a couple of different paths, you know, there's I mean, I was in New York, so I did a lot of theater. So my whole thing was to be seen, you know, come see the work, casting directors or agents or whatever, come see the work. And if you're lucky enough to get a good review or even be reviewed by any reputable critic in the city. You know, that's that's just plus. And then you can do it the Eric's way, where you get on sets and you start making connections and you see how it all works, because then it's just so much easier to go in in an audition for your next job, right Eric, because now you've been there, you know the lay of the land. You're not going to get overwhelmed your first day on the set anymore. You see how it is, and you know, you saw how great Matt was. You saw me drop out of a helicopter and face plant, and so you know how it goes. So it's not going to be so intimidating for you, so you'll be able to relax and do your work. So, yeah, there's a couple of different paths, or you know, you do a student film or something and you get seen by somebody, that kind of thing.
Speaker 5: So I think for me, you know again, it was it was such a unique opportunity having having Kenny and you weren't here for this, but Kenny Ortega is kind of how all this happened, and yeah.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 5: He was like my confidant, and he got me, you know, taptheart Lee thanks to this gig on Gilmore Girls. And then beyond that, you know, part of the reason I didn't do any other background work, et cetera is Canny also introduced me to several casting directors say hey, keep this kid on your radar, blah blah blah, and so I could.
Speaker 3: I would get in rooms that.
Speaker 5: Most people don't get in for a while, unless you like Scott's point, unless you're doing a you know, a play and somebody comes and sees it, or you've done a student film where you did your own short film and put it out there and whatnot. And so for me, I kind of, I don't want to say had it, I had it. I was lucky, per se, but there is a little element of that, and it was I had a little bit of an easier time than most, at least getting my foot in the door. And then I think that transition for me again, since I didn't do very much of the background stuff, I made the most of what I had with these few episodes on Gilmore Girls and just observed. And that way when I did go into a room and you know, audition I already kind of knew how a certain scene play out, and that would help me, you know, create whatever it was. It wasn't because the auditioning for theater is way different than than television, and that's all I had really done to this point.
Speaker 3: So I had that in the back of my mind.
Speaker 5: And then when I did get my first few gigs here and there, where you get a you know, you're under fives, and then you start to get a day player stuff, and you know, I felt I.
Speaker 3: Felt more confident at least going there.
Speaker 5: Not not cocky by any means, but I didn't feel like an outsider stepping on to like in front of the camera and exactly so you know, I didn't. I wasn't wondering, Okay, where do I need to stand? Or why are these guys lighting over here? What are the what are the grips doing there?
Speaker 3: What? You know?
Speaker 5: I knew how that that whole dance worked, and so for me, I just I went and I did my job and I was where I needed to be. And I think the other part too, is just you know, my work ethic has always been really strong, regardless of what I'm doing, whether it be acting, you know, the other jobs I've had throughout the years, and I think when you do that, you know, this business there's you obviously have to have talent to succeed in this business, but nobody wants to work with a you know, not nice person, right, And I think and or somebody.
Speaker 3: Who's lazy and makes everybody else's day harder.
Speaker 5: The last thing the crew wants when they're working, you know, fourteen fifteen, eighteen hours sometimes is for some actor to come in and not be prepared or you know, not not arrive when they're ready. They set everything up and they got to wait another five minutes for you to finish. You know, whatever you're doing, nobody wants that. So as long as you're not that person and you have some talent, that's the magic, you know equation. I think there's still some luck and other things that are needed, but I think that really helps for career wise.
Speaker 2: That's what Scott always says about Gilmore Girls, that everybody from Lauren to the smallest background actor, from the executive producer down to the whoever craft services, everybody gave it one hundred and ten percent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think that's you know, the show is also one of the best written shows ever. I think it's it's still you know, such a well well written, well acted, well rounded show, which is why people are revisiting again. But you know, for example, now with Superman and Lois, we have that, like I've I've never had a really bad experience in Hollywood.
Speaker 3: I've been pretty lucky to work on you know, work with good people, et cetera.
Speaker 5: But we've now you know, we started this show in the middle of the pandemic where we just finished filming season three, and it's you know, it could have gone really bad, especially when everybody was in that bubble of you know, the COVID bubble, trying to get things going in the middle of the pandemic, and like Warner Brothers didn't want us interacting with anybody outside of they didn't even want us cast members early on to interact with each other outside of being on set.
Speaker 3: And you know, we as humans, you need interact.
Speaker 5: And so shortly after we started filming and we had this rapport with each other, we we became a family. And then as things warmed up a bit more, you know, our crew are just phenomenal and like you don't always get that good of a scenario and so it's when you do have it, I think, A it makes going to work better and B it's part of making good television. You know, if regardless of how strong the writing is or how strong a performance is, stuff comes through. Like if the vibes on set are not good and people are not happy and the directors and the producers are the rating to crew members or actors, it's going to show up and it's going to manifest itself in weird ways.
Speaker 3: So that's what I love, the collaboration. That is what we do.
Speaker 1: Well, where are you? Where are you Europe? In Vancouver?
Speaker 3: Uh, that's where we film right now. I'm out in Texas. We have a little lake house out here.
Speaker 1: But where you shoot where you shoot the lowest and Vancouver and lowest, Yeah, you're Vancouver.
Speaker 2: I have one last question before you guys go, and then you guys can ask whatever. But is there We always talk about the one that brung you. It's like, what was your the part where you realized obviously it wasn't Caring the King, but the one where you realize like, Okay, I actually am going to be able to do this as a career, Like was there after Gilmore Girls? Was there under five or five more where you were like, this is actually gonna happen for me?
Speaker 5: I think For me, that's kind of a two part answer. I think I always, I always. I'm a big risk taker, and I'm a big believer in putting in the work and putting in the work myself. And I never really doubted myself. And that's not a cocky statement by any means. I'm not saying I'm the most talented person in the world, But I never doubted my abilities as an actor or as a human being in terms of ease to work with, et cetera. So for me, it was it was never a matter of is this going to happen. It was just a matter of, okay, you got to ride ride this out, you know, literally the waves that come. And for me, like I remember two thousand and eight, it was a combination of eerily similar to what we're about to go through.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 5: You have the writers' strike, you know, the nomy crashed, all sorts of stuff happened, and at that point I had done a few under fives. This and that that had, you know, kept me in the game. I was I wasn't ready to throw in the towel because I still knew that something was going to happen for me. Right then we get to two thousand and eight, I'm about thirty grand in debt and I have about five hundred dollars to my name, and I ended up sleeping in my Mini Cooper for like two weeks because I couldn't afford rent. And my parents, you know, were like, hey, you can come back home. You know that that option is always here, come back to Texas. And I was like, I'm not done. I'm just this isn't this isn't over for me. And I think, call that stubbornness, call that drive, whatever you want to call it. That kept me in the game. And then shortly after I came out of that funk, I ended up doing a couple of commercials which got me out of debt at least. And then like the big break, so to speak, was General Hospital. I'd never thought I would do a soap opera. Nothing against it, it just wasn't creatively where I wanted to go. And then I had this opportunity through a relationship I'd made with Mark Teshner over the years, casting director there. He called me up one day and then he said I got this role for you. I want you to come in.
Speaker 3: You know, you still opt auditioned for it, but I am really pushing for you. I said, cool, go in. I do that and next you know, I do one hundred episodes or song over two and a half years. And that was kind of the the launching pad, so to speak.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so yeah, it's it's it's been a it's been a ride, but it's I wouldn't I wouldn't change much of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it takes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: My son is a it's just got his purple belt and in tang sudo and and he you know, and now now all of my analogies are karate related. So it's like auditioning is like, you know, you're gonna get beat up. It's like sparring. You're gonna get beat up, and but you're gonna that's the only way to learn, you know. And you're gonna walk in there as a white belt or a yellow belt or even a purple belt, and you're gonna face a red belt, going to face a green belt, and they're going to beat you up pretty bad. And you just got to hang in and keep working, keep studying, and then one day you're gonna you're gonna start winning those sparring sessions one day, and it might it might not happen for a while, but you can't be discouraged, you know. And that's what auditioning is like, because you have to do it for a long time.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Some people, some people everything just falls into place earlier than others. Everybody's timeline is different. But kind of back to what am that's kind of it is for those that they do watch the podcast and listen to it that are, you know, at the background level or still trying to figure out a way into the industry.
Speaker 3: Like I get that question all the time, you know, how can I? How can I do what you do?
Speaker 5: And it all comes down to putting in the work and determination and getting back up and you know, and realizing the time it's it's if you don't end up booking something, even if you think nailed the audition or whatever has nothing to do with you or your performance. There's so many other factors that go into this that people don't realize. And in as long as you're doing your job, it will happen. It's just may take a little bit longer than you hope it will. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the takeaway is always it's not personal. If you don't get the offer, it's not personal. It's just there's a million reasons why people don't get jobs, and often times it has nothing to do with how great their audition was. Because you could give the best audition that anyone has ever seen and you're still slightly not right for the part for some reason and you don't know what that is, and you'll never know what that is. But you've made a fan with the casting people, you've made a fan with the director. You've you know, and they'll they remember those great auditions and they'll bring you back in for other things. So you've got to keep your head up.
Speaker 3: That's key.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I remember, you know, there's there's several roles that I auditioned for that I thought I was picked for and I thought I nailed and didn't didn't get the job, but the casting directors remembered. And I think if you're getting called back for certain roles and then you're getting called in for other ones, you're.
Speaker 3: Already doing your job.
Speaker 5: And then on the flip side, there's certain things that I'd get the script and I get the you know, the breakdown and be like this is this is not me at all, but cool, I'm still gonna do what I do. And you know, one of those roles was was Carlito on Graceland, which is one of my favorite characters I've I've played the guys like this, bisexual, like psychotic drug lorder, right, and and it was just you look at the breakdown how they initially described him, and I'm like, well, I can I can play this. I don't know if it's I don't know what this is gonna how this is gonna go, but I'm gonna do what I do. And I think that's the other part is never trying to figure out what you think somebody else wants. Like, as an actor, you bring to the table what whatever it is inside you and your interpretation of these these words on a page and this breakdown and you do what you do.
Speaker 1: And in that case, that's the uniqueiness that you can offer.
Speaker 3: It is you.
Speaker 5: And in that particular case, that was one where I was like, well, I'm gonna do what I do and then walk away because I don't think this is going my way. There was no callback, there was nothing on that one. It was immediately like you're our guy, and I'm flying to Florida to go film. It was supposed to be I think three episodes and I ended up doing two seasons. So it's you know, you never know. You just you have to to That's that's why you have to be really passionate about anything you do. I tell people that all the time. You don't go into this business to become famous or to make a lot of money. It's like you wouldn't go into anything without some sort of passion. And so it doesn't matter if you want to own a hot dog cart in Times Square, you want to you know, become a billionaire CEO, you put the same amount of work into it and the same amount of passion.
Speaker 3: And that's you know, that's that's what gets you where you want to go.
Speaker 1: And that's the work. It's about the work. It's got to be about the work, the passion for the work and making it great hundred percent, and that's all. That's what.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You couldn't have said it better. I mean, I've said this many times. If you're in the business for fame or money, get out of the business because you're not gonna You're not going to succeed. You're in it for the wrong reasons right away.
Speaker 3: Wrong reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you know it's got to be it's got to be a positive. It's got to be a respect for the work and pursuing that knowledge and being a great craftsman. Well this has been uh, and you know, I I did the whole two weeks and a sleeping in a car routine myself, So I know I've been there, buddy. You know's and you gotta it's that self belief. It's like, nothing's gonna stop me. Just keep going. It's going to take time. It's for me. It was always a marathon, it was never a sprint. Uh. There were highs and lows. I would get really frustrated sometimes because I'd been auditioning and killing auditions for a year, two years in a row, and I wasn't getting anything. And you just got to keep your the grindstent. You just kind of keep going at it. And you're a testament to that. So thanks for coming on, Sharon. You're very very fascinating, an inspiring story. Thank you, and good luck with everything. I hope the writer's strike doesn't affect you guys. Will it affect you guys, will you shut down if there's a writer strike.
Speaker 3: We it depends on how long it goes. Our room, you know, our room will come back or.
Speaker 5: Scheduled to come back in July typically, so it depends on how long it goes. And it also, you know, as you know, with this industry where the show's doing really well. But we haven't officially been picked up yet anyway, so who knows what all is going to happen.
Speaker 1: So listen, I'm going to invite you to the next segment. It's called rapid Fire. Would you like to participate? You really don't have a choice, just say yes, sure, let's do it.
Speaker 3: You ready, let's go.
Speaker 1: How many cups of coffee do you have in a day?
Speaker 3: I do a quad shot of espresso every morning.
Speaker 1: Nice quad shot.
Speaker 3: I like that. Uh, a little bit of oat milk?
Speaker 1: Are you team Logan, Team Jess or Team Dean?
Speaker 3: Ooh Logan?
Speaker 1: Oh there you go? Who is your favorite Gilmore girl's character?
Speaker 3: If I if I don't say Luke, am I gonna get in trouble here? No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you need to be honest?
Speaker 3: Uh you No?
Speaker 5: I I really, I mean Rory was just always such a fascinating young woman and watching her journey it was incredible, So.
Speaker 3: It has to be.
Speaker 1: Is she a terrific actress? Just so so natural?
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's she's from Texas to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jared, and uh and and and Alexis Yeah born Brett.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: What would you order it? Lukes dinner even though you don't think Luke's your favorite character? Unbelievable.
Speaker 5: Well, it'd probably be something like a croissant and a quad shot of espresso with a little bit oat milk.
Speaker 3: Was oat milk even a thing back then? I don't think it was.
Speaker 1: I don't know that he carried it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And if you said quad shot to him, man, he'd probably toss you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'd probably have to be a drip coffee. That's about it.
Speaker 1: Go on, would you rather go on a road trip with Taylor or Michelle?
Speaker 3: It's a tough one, Michelle. Why.
Speaker 5: There's no real reason. I just that was the first thing that came to mind. Either one would be interesting, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Tell you you need a baseball bet to show to either of them up about ten hours into the trip anyway, So it's all the same. Uh, finish the lyric and where you lead I will follow dot dot dot.
Speaker 3: Blinking, I will follow.
Speaker 1: I'm on that anywhere.
Speaker 3: That you you go. Tell me to Why am I blinking on this?
Speaker 1: You just you don't know, that's all right, Jackson's Vegetables or Suki's Baked Goods.
Speaker 3: Dookie's Baked Goods.
Speaker 1: Would you rather listen to Drella's Harp or The Troubadours cover Songs, Discover Songs, Chilton Prep or Stars Hollow High, Stars Hollow High.
Speaker 3: Eric.
Speaker 1: It has been an insanely great pleasure. Good luck, continued success on your journey. Thank you, and hope to have you back on telling us more tales of you slaying Hollywood dragons left and right.
Speaker 3: So anytime, man, thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Me all the best you enjoy your downtime in beautiful Texas, will and we'll hopefully talk soon.
Speaker 3: Okay, take care, all right, take care all right. Hi guys, Hey.
Speaker 1: Everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com. Oh you're Gilmore friends. If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com. S C O T T y P dot com, scottip dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee,