Speaker 1: Call It what It Is with Jessica Capshaw and Camille Luddington, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, Hello, Hello Call It crew, and welcome to another episode of Short and Sweet, And this time today we are talking about health advice. I wish I took sooner. Ooh yeah, I have one that immediately comes to mind.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Well, back in the day, I did love in tanning bed.
Speaker 4: I cannot say that I never went to a tanning salon.
Speaker 2: Not only did I go to a tanning slawn all the time. In my early twenties and late teens, I would do the thing where I'd walk in and they'd have like a little sticker you could put on yourself, like a little Playboy Bunny, and You're like, where am I going to put it? And then then you take it off. You be like, oh cute, I did not know this about you. Did you not ever do the Playboy Bunny sticker?
Speaker 4: You're you're saying that as though it was normal too.
Speaker 2: I listen people out there are listening and they're like, they remember the sticker it did.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, I need to pick up your phones. If you're driving, pull over, I need you to just I need you to.
Speaker 4: Comment or d m us right now to say who used a playboy sticker.
Speaker 3: When they went to the dancing's line.
Speaker 2: I just want to know.
Speaker 3: I just want to numbers.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, we have our gay hang on. I'm just as we can to. I did the sticker on my bikini line?
Speaker 3: Kill me?
Speaker 2: Yes, you did? The sticker existed. This was when The Girl's Next Door was like, that show was on e It was very popular, and I did a little plateboy bunny like in the bikini line to be like peek a boo. You didn't know that about me. It's a little surprised, little sexy surprise. I have a tamline in the shape of a rabbit.
Speaker 3: Does this absence of melanin and this in the shape of a little playboy bunny? Turn you one? Hell you weren't.
Speaker 2: You weren't turned on before, But now I got your attention. It's so tragic, by the way, if they're.
Speaker 4: That close to that, that that playboy bunny, they're thinking about other things.
Speaker 3: They've got their attention on something.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, but it's added a.
Speaker 3: Little like a little wink.
Speaker 2: She's waiting you remember, like, okay, this is so subject right now, but do you remember when the jazzling was.
Speaker 3: It was a thing, the jazzling.
Speaker 2: I swear it's called the jazzle.
Speaker 3: I swear.
Speaker 4: I don't actually know who you are right now, but I can't wait to get to know this party.
Speaker 2: Hang on, hang on, hang on.
Speaker 3: But jazzled.
Speaker 2: The jazzling was when you got like rhinestones and glitter and gemstones and you did a little, you know, a little crafting project down there as also you did. No, I didn't do the bedazzle. I didn't, but there what I knew people that did a little bejazzling.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I believe you.
Speaker 2: I and I'm not sure. I'm not even sure we're talking about health right now. I'm not sure how good that is for your health, the jazzling. Yeah, I mean, what kind of glue are you using down there?
Speaker 4: I'm not even actually understanding how that's happening, Like I don't understand the technical like the exactly how like are you brushing glue on and then like just throwing some sprinkle on, see what.
Speaker 3: Sticks, shaking it off the rest?
Speaker 4: I mean, when you bedazzle, there's a bedazzle gun. You're certainly not bedazzle gunning.
Speaker 2: You're not hot gluing, are you?
Speaker 3: I mean, you know you're not hot gluing. I mean I hope you're not hot gluing.
Speaker 2: Well, listen that we're talking about things we wish we'd known. Maybe someone has health, maybe someone hot glued of a jazzle. Anyway, I did a tanning bed. Long story story, I did a tanning bed. I did that. You know, they would upsell you on the extra oil that could really give you cancer, and I was like, acerants excellance to dying early. Do you remember the smell?
Speaker 4: There was a very specific smell and like the sound of the fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I kind of liked the smell. Of course you did well because I walked out and I was like, ooh, little tropical. I don't know why I didn't do that so much.
Speaker 4: I think I did in high school for prom. And then I was in a play in New York City in the very dark winter months, and at the end the last scene of the play is played, I'm in a bikini on stage in front of all like so many people, which I was horrified about. And then I guess I just channeled my horror into well, if I if I'm tank, it'll be okay.
Speaker 3: So I did.
Speaker 4: During that time, I went to the tanning bed and then it became and then that became ill, and then I did.
Speaker 3: The the spray tam.
Speaker 4: But remember when they were there wasn't just like either. There was no like personal spray tame. It was the machine. It was and it was like beep five times and then you'd have to turn around. Yeah, but you weren't sure which beep you were on, and sometimes you get double sprayed in the front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Masley kill me, yes, because that happened to him. He had to do something, and I was like, I was like convinced him that he should go to a tanning little spray thing and he really didn't want to. It's like fine, and then I took him through. I was like, listen, you gotta do the hands and the hands and then there's the hands this way, this way, turn and he didn't turn, so we got a double spray on the front and a zero spray on the back.
Speaker 3: There's a Friend's episode that's very funny about that. Roscoes. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but anyway, anyways, I don't but when I was younger, nobody was talking about health really. I mean, that's not true. They were talking about it, but it wasn't. It wasn't like it is now.
Speaker 2: Do you know the energy drinks that I was drinking? You know, me on set, I love to sugar free Red Bull. I'd have like five a day.
Speaker 3: I never like it tasted like cherry cough syrup to.
Speaker 2: Me, did you ever blink twice if you ever smoked a cigarette? Yeah? I mean.
Speaker 4: I finally had to admit it to my kids, so I guess I could talk about it here.
Speaker 2: I think the problem is more vaping, and I didn't vape back then.
Speaker 4: I well, smoking is disgusting and I wish I'd never done it, and I can say that confidently. I will also say that I had a really fun time doing it, but it's statisting and I wish i'd never done it. The vaping takes on a whole other level of disgusting because someone.
Speaker 3: Told me that the oil.
Speaker 4: That's in the vape pens, once you ingest it or whatever you suck it in, it's an oil and I guess it's teeny teeny micro droplets, but it actually never leaves your lungs.
Speaker 3: There's no shedding, you know, like when you when if you smoked it, they would say, like, if.
Speaker 4: You don't smoke for eight years, yeah, your lungs like replenish and the cells slough off. No, with the vaping, the oil stays in your lungs forever. And then someone showed me a picture of what your lungs look like with the vape oil in it.
Speaker 2: And it was that's gross, far.
Speaker 3: From what I would like my lungs to look like. Plus, I think you look so dumb when you vape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vaping looks so Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it looks really silly to be sucking on a piece of plastic.
Speaker 2: It doesn't look good. Like there was I hate to say it, this is gonna be controversial, but there was like something almost like very like chic about like a cigarette in the glass of white, Like it felt like, you.
Speaker 4: Know, there's Parisian and you know if you watch the nineties movies, yeah, like the Brad Pitts the Yeah that movie singles everyone was smoking and insects.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but the vaping doesn't have and so like it kind of you kind of understood, like I can kind of see maybe the appeal gross by the way, disgusting, but the vaping to me, I don't understand at all the appeal, but people get super addicted. Yeah, and then and then they're just stuck.
Speaker 3: They're stuck in it. It's funny. I mean, it's so everywhere. There's also in the in the I love it.
Speaker 4: I like, bring up the cuffing season and now I'm just gonna go off like I know about this.
Speaker 3: Too, but they're the kids these days. The kids tell me, Yeah, it's the zins. Do you know have you heard about the zins? No?
Speaker 2: I don't know what a zin is? What's that?
Speaker 3: It's a nicotine.
Speaker 4: It's almost like chew like back in the day, the chew, like it's a gay tobacco that they put in their mouth. But they're called zins and they sell them, and I think that it's it's sort of ubiquitous. So yeah, the vaping and the zins are kind of gross.
Speaker 2: Zen is a brand of nicotine pouches that contain powder, nicotine and flavors but no tobacco leaves. That sounds so disgusting.
Speaker 3: They're very popular.
Speaker 4: And again, I mean, I'm sorry, but to talk about like it's already hard. You know, I have to get access to the information about how to be healthy. But then you have all these companies that are coming up with these things like zins and bapeoils or whatever that have flavors like pina colada or like strawberry jacori or bellogum, And you're like, how are you not trying to get young people to do that?
Speaker 2: Of course you are, of course, And then how you.
Speaker 3: Come back from that?
Speaker 4: And then you get old enough to know that you are such a moron to do it, and you're like, it's like, sorry, you're already too late.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this is like dip, right, isn't it called dipping? Yeah? Back in the day, like in text as, I feel like I loved to text for a little bit. I remember the baseball players. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, get some dipping. It's the same thing.
Speaker 3: This is, I think a little bit less messy.
Speaker 4: So they put it in between their gum and their lip and the nicotines absorber.
Speaker 2: It doesn't give you, like gum cancer. I think it gives you.
Speaker 3: All kinds of yeah, all kinds of answer.
Speaker 4: Here's what the call It crew had to say about the health advice they regret not taking earlier in life.
Speaker 2: Danny, growing up, I had memberships to two tanning bed places. I went tanning all the time, so much regret. In our defense, Danny, this was kind of the social thing at the time.
Speaker 4: I understand it, Okay, I know, but there's still I mean, are you kidding now? And tan lines are back now, which goes back to your tan sticker.
Speaker 3: But now all the girls.
Speaker 4: It used to be like you want to know tan lines just to look like you were just a broad goddess or god. And now it's like a real thing to have the tan lines, even if you're righting, like it's actually cool. Yeah, the tan lines are the cool part. They want the tan lines.
Speaker 3: Oh, for God's sake, could you love how I act like I know everything.
Speaker 2: You do, though, I'm like, no, you're me. You're me just a little bit ahead of the game. You're on third base, I'm on first.
Speaker 4: Okay, this goodness me Okay, So Trey said, not understanding or caring about wearing the right bra, I feel you, An It took me a.
Speaker 3: Minute to get to that, and it is. It really does make all the difference.
Speaker 2: I was wearing the wrong size bra for literally most whole life. Yeah, no, I'm serious, Like I was shocked. I was like what do you mean what, Brittany, Oh no, Sharon. Not moisturizing my skin until my twenties. I gotta say it was like my thirties. I really was of the belief that if you moisturized, it would cause oil and you would break out. What about sunscreenies, sun sunscreen? I did do, but moisturizer every day. No, no, no, And it was also I gotta say that, really, Matt, look was back in in my twenties like you didn't want any shine. You wanted to look like the desert, like cracked, like the bottom of a dry foot. Yep, there wasn't any moist So hot, yeah.
Speaker 3: Really so hot.
Speaker 4: You know it's also hot having this kind of talk. Not protecting my back, I thought I would be fine and never did anything to strengthen my core, and I regret it.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 4: Try four babies, Are you kidding? I don't even have stomach muscles anymore. I go to do a setup and it's like it's all neck. I'm like, oh, yeah, yeah, you birth out your spine.
Speaker 2: That's what they don't tell you. That's what they don't tell you. I feel you. I feel it's so bad, Taylor says, not leaving my pimples alone. I picked at them and now have scars. It's you know what I wish we had had the zitstickas. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would have worn those and left my skin alone, But we didn't have that. It was the option between like wearing it out on the world or you know, picking at your skin and then you had some clump of concealer you put on it after as a soothing bomb.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. I like the clear ones.
Speaker 4: I mean it clearly looks like something's going on, but it feels a little bit more medicinal. There's these other ones that are like in the shapes of stars. I love the star different colors And are they different colors?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I got yellow and blue.
Speaker 4: If I find it distracting to talk to people that are wearing them, it's just like you have a sticker on your face and then I and I have to like quickly process that it's not at an elective sticker.
Speaker 3: It's actually a sticker that's doing some work.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: But it's kind of cute though. It's like, oh I got a pimple. Wes, sure, that's.
Speaker 4: A little star, Haley says, drinking way with fourteen, whys too much in my teens?
Speaker 3: Which is Haley? This bums me out.
Speaker 2: I didn't drink it all really in my teens, No, I mean very rarely, Yeah, very rarely, rarely.
Speaker 3: Different stories. That's a different story.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think. Do I regret it? I mean, would I take back those bottomless Mimosa brunches on a Sunday?
Speaker 3: I'm not sure. Yeah, Oh there's good times. There's good times. There's good times, and there's bad dunes.
Speaker 2: I would take away the shots. I would take away taking shots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I know no. And also, just like the part of me that thought I was in Indiana Jones and like Karen Allen.
Speaker 4: At the bar, just like taking back, I acted like I could do shots, and then my body was like, no, just kidding, you actually cannot.
Speaker 2: No, No, I don't think anyone can, probably not.
Speaker 3: And they certainly don't make you. They don't make you better.
Speaker 2: They do not Mills not taking my makeup off before I went to bed for years. Oh guilty, guilty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I sometimes still do I do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I almost did it the other night.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Isabelle says my posture. I never corrected my posture what.
Speaker 3: Does that mean. There's it's never too late.
Speaker 2: There are these new sports bras that apparently like kind of pull your shoulders back.
Speaker 3: I got one.
Speaker 2: Did you did they work?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You definitely feel more. Yeah, you feel like your shoulders are back. Are they uncomfortable? I don't find them to be uncomfortable. There's one that Taylor Swift used, Well, I.
Speaker 4: Know that's Areas Tour the form bra, and I ordered one, and they're quite pricey just turn it out there. And I was a little bit like, oh, it's so expensive. But then I did do a little research on why, and and I think that the science.
Speaker 3: Is very worth Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's worth it because with the phones and everything, we're all starting to look like vultures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know in the double chin all that so much fun.
Speaker 2: Jennifer not getting checked out for infertility right away. I waited years before getting a diagnosis.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I know. Being informed about your health is just it empowers you so much, and it's very Yeah, knowledge is power. I get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Beth said, well here we go proof and point that said, I completely regret vaping at such a young age and for so long. Well, Beth, by the way, can I ask you a follow up question, because a lot of people are probably struggling with the same thing or might still be in the middle of it.
Speaker 3: How did you stop? I would love to hear I would love to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to know how you stopped Maddie never developing healthy eating habits. I feel like I'm going to be overweight forever. This is hard because we I mean, I've been on all you Like I did the the South Beach diet, and then it was Atkins and then it was like you should be vegan, and then they died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just so confusing.
Speaker 2: There are times when still right now, I'm like, I really don't know what I should be eating. I kind of do, but like what's tasty and I can eat.
Speaker 4: I feel like, for one of the first times in my life, I know what works for me and I actually feel empowered about eating.
Speaker 3: But I do think it was a real journey to that point.
Speaker 2: It's hard. I'm still in like that, Like, you know, I'm making my kids food and I'm snacking off their plates.
Speaker 3: It's typicult.
Speaker 4: Oh wait, let me just go back for one second to say, because I do like to just infuse everything with a little bit of hope is that for Maddie. I do think that never, always and forever are very not helpful things to say, because it won't be forever. You just might need to keep on at it and trying to figure out what it is that's going to work for you. And I know that it's a very loud world out there in that space, and so everyone's telling you what you should do, But there are doctors that can help and then kind of end up being the hub where everyone comes to dump their thoughts and things that they've So maybe there's a doctor there out there for you that can help and be a little more prescriptive as opposed to now. I'm not trying to say you should like take things or have, you know, do things. I'm just saying like that might be able to say, like this is something that for your body type and who you are and your blood type, like this might work for you.
Speaker 2: You know what, Maddie, we should We're going to get you know what, we were going to get someone on the pod to talk about this.
Speaker 3: That'd be great.
Speaker 4: I mean, yes, all you hear about is so many different like the diets, the informations, the GLP ones, the all of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's have someone talk about all of it. Yeah, Jesse, I really feel this. I regret the two thousands diet culture of getting the best of me. I should have just focused on being strong and healthy. I it was all cardio. There was nothing about weightlifting to me that I remember, and now I realize that that's what.
Speaker 4: Matters and the healthiest you can be. These days, they say strong over skinny. Oh all day long, strong over skinny. Rita said, getting breast cancer screening in my insurance because I thought it would never happen to me.
Speaker 2: It's no, that's terrible. I can't even believe that insurance like that would be something that you could opt out of getting. This is a bigger conversation because this is all about also, just like the healthcare fucking system in the US.
Speaker 4: Ruby said, I played sports growing up and always forced myself to play through my injuries, and I regretting so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get that, I have that can do attitude too. I'm like, I'm fine, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I have that too.
Speaker 3: Yeah I'm limping, I'm on the ground, but I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've had that too. I didn't you know, I didn't play sports as a kid. But I definitely did workouts and did the Berry's boot Camp here, which is my insane and I would do it. I can't. You know, my leg would be broken from the day before.
Speaker 4: I drew a line when they came over and touched my treadmill. If one of those trainers touched my treadmill with that, I would be there would be your.
Speaker 3: Disdain coming out of my eyeballs.
Speaker 2: Yes, Barry's boot Camp. If you guys don't know what that is, it's a bunch of training places here in Los Angeles where you are to go in, oh, in New York, so maybe across the country. You go in and you do half of the workout is being tortured on a treadmill and the rest of the workout is like.
Speaker 3: Being tortured on a step bench with weights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So by the time you got on the treadmill, they just up that speed to five hundred miles an hour and you had to you were tied to it, you were handcuffed to it.
Speaker 4: There was a period of by time where I would go to Berry's boot Camp, and at the time I really loved that show Alias with Jennifer Garner where she plays by and I would imagine myself being her, and like, how could I run like a spy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You know how long I can run? At thirteen point oh four?
Speaker 2: I've never even seen that number on a treadmill, Jess, I didn't know, kid get there.
Speaker 3: Well, I've only seen it for five seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I didn't know that existed. I'm finding that out in this moment.
Speaker 3: I am neither. Really I didn't either, and I've got big so running like that is not it. Also, guess what, you don't look like a spy? You look not.
Speaker 2: No, I look like I was like trying to find water in the desert.
Speaker 4: Yeah not, No, I know, I know, I know, I know. I would like, you're doing like the mission impossible Tom Cruise.
Speaker 3: Run. Yeah, not intense that run? No, God, it's all over him.
Speaker 2: And I would go to Berries boot camp hung Over two in my twenties, Hungover show up. I got this?
Speaker 3: Did you ever throw up? Oh?
Speaker 2: I came close. I mean I've definitely thrown up after a workout, but I came close after Berries. Yeah, it's only shame that made me swallow it back down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think sleep I prioritize sleep. I know that I'm off if I don't sleep well. Yeah, And I do think that what you put.
Speaker 3: In your body is pretty darn and what don't.
Speaker 4: And I would also say stress I think, I do think. As dramatic as it sounds, I think stress kills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, and I think that we'll talk about this. We need someone on for this too. But like the whole weightlifting.
Speaker 4: Yea, yea, yeah, I've been doing that. I've been lifting such heavy weights. You shows see me at the gym. I'm intimidating.
Speaker 3: No, I know me over here with one hundred and fifty bench press.
Speaker 2: Good job. Yeah, No, I'm not doing any of that. I need to. It's time. I've hit forty and this is this is the time to shine. Lock it, Dow lock in, Camila, lock in. Okay. So the Call A Crew has inspired us once again. We're going to have someone on to talk about health and diets and all the things because and the glps and the and the other.
Speaker 4: Piece dough ramis do ramis and ABC's.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I like, let's get more informed on it, because I'm still confused about what to do to myself. And I think we all are a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and there seems like there's so many now.
Speaker 2: There's so many options. So what is good? So many commercials, so many commercials, so many options, What does it do? Is it really helping people? I think it is. I think different things are helping people. And so let's let's let's get in to it. Let's deep dive and see all the risks and all the things.
Speaker 4: Okay, I love it, Paula, Well, thank you very much for spending this time with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too. Yeah, all right
Speaker 2: Let's call it the end of the episode.