Speaker 1: Welcome back everyone to the Golden Hour.
Speaker 2: I'm Susan, and I think today I will be Kathy.
Speaker 1: I think you will. How are you, honey.
Speaker 2: I'm just doing great. I'm loving World Cup. I just I wish World Cup came every year. I love soccer. And do you know I understand the off side's rule? Just so we're all clear here.
Speaker 1: And he was a coach where you was a referee. I was a referee anytimes. I just watched those handsome guys kick that ball around.
Speaker 2: Damn and they can't touch with their hands. Susan, that's rule number one.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: All right, today we got this. I'm so excited. We have a very special guest this week who is not only a Bachelorette alum and Paradise slum too. I think Buddy is coming out with a new children's book. Hello Michael Allio or how are you?
Speaker 3: Hey, Kathy? Hey, Susan, how you doing it? Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: We are doing great. We are doing great. I don't even know where to begin. First of all, how are you? Let's start there.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. Life is really good. I think we're in the seasons of blessings over here and we're in the process of like remodeling every single room in our house. It started as one single room and now it's just exploded into everything. So I just got back from a thrift store and a bunch of stuff. I don't even know where it goes, but it's gonna.
Speaker 2: Go from I just finished a remodeling. Trust me, it's like disease. It spreads very great.
Speaker 3: That's work scope, and it just takes off. It takes a life of its own.
Speaker 1: It's a project, for sure. But Michael, just to let our fans know a little bit more about you, how would you describe the version of Michael that walked onto the Bachelorette compared to who you are today? I know you've been through quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think anyone who's been on the show, and been on the Bachelor, of Bachelorette, any of the franchise shows, you get a snippet of what each person is. You never get the totality of what any individual is. And I mean, I would say, looking back on myself in the Bachelorette role, it was two years after Laura had passed. I was very much caught up in grief, and you know, trying to figure out where my life was really going, how I was going to make You know, these next leaps in chapters into my life happen. You know, it was two years as a single parent, and at the time, I mean anyone that's experienced grief whatsoever, you always feel as though if you're farther along from a time perspective, you feel like you're processing it better. But it isn't until afterwards, when you actually make sense of everything and life starts to take shape, that you can look backwards and say, man, I was I was totally lost. So I would say this version of myself is just I don't know, a lot more, a lot more grateful, a lot more clear than I've than I've ever been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, again, the same thing, you know, walking through the grief that you and I have both losing spouses. Do you feel like your experience though changed you, because I know my experience being on the Golden Bachelor changed me. Do you feel like it actually changed the way you look at life?
Speaker 3: I think it exposed me to things I otherwise would not have been exposed to. I mean, I think anytime you put yourself into onto a show, you you welcome public praise and also public criticism at the same exact light. So that was one thing that I had to learn to adjust is waking up on Monday morning and random people having an opinion about who you are and headlines and all of that. So it's a bit of a bizarre world that you have to adjust to. But I would say, at the core, it really hasn't changed at all who I am. I feel like I feel like in each season of my own life, I've I've stayed pretty true to the principles that that I've been raised with that seemed to be working for the most part, aren't bulletproof, but seemed to be working, and you know, try to try to stay true to that.
Speaker 1: And wasn't it true that your son wanted you to come home?
Speaker 3: And you yes, yeah, absolutely, And you know, I think I think when I went on the show for the first time, looking back, we actually didn't even know Katie was going to be the bachelorette. We were we were sitting in quarantine in New Mexico, and all of a sudden it was announced while we were there Katie was going to be the bachelorette. So it's like you're walking in there trying. You're kind of walking in to an experience and then once it starts, then you kind of open yourself up to you know, love and the whole entire process. And so it was. It was a bizarre but really amazing experience. Like I'm so happy that I did it because it's an experience a few people can actually talk about, that's.
Speaker 1: Right, And it had to help you with what you had just gone through for two years, Yeah, to help you take that next step back into your life again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was saying this before it was twenty nineteen. Laura passed. Then for two years, just trying to figure out support system, what is new normals, you know, scared for my child that he's going to grow up with dad that has no idea what he's doing, and he would be to be scared about that. And then COVID hits and then it's like, oh my gosh, like there is my whole entire support system. There goes everything. And it just so happened that the producers had reached out to me on Instagram during that time, and it felt like a good time to just kind of roll the dice and take a risk and jump into a new experience, and I'm I'm happy I did.
Speaker 1: It saved you almost if you will, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I needed the spark. Yeah, And I think as we get older, there's you can get caught up in the routine of life. You can lose your zust, you know, your youthfulness, like the things that used to fire you up. And it was an important reminder to me to say yes to things that feel uncomfortable and to dive in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to say and I've said this to Susan. You and I share the grief of losing a spouse and saying yes two opportunities has given me strength and solidified my walk through grief and dealing with all the things that that we deal with. Your son, though, was two. Laura was thirty three when she died. You had this two year old son. Was there a moment in time because my children were older when my spouse, my husband, Daryl, died. Was there a moment where you realize that grief isn't just a momentary deal, It's something that you live with. It has different incarnations. Can you talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the short answer is I learned that every single day. And I think there was a turning point where I wanted to go back to the person I was before grief hit my life, and I was wrongfully using that as the metric that I needed to get back to in the benchmark. And the truth is is that when grief or something hits your life, or you go through something that transformative, you're no longer that person anymore. And kind of welcoming that new version of myself that had been through those I mean traumas that have been through the struggle that was the beginning to being able to heal. And again, healing isn't the absence of sadness. It's embracing it, actually, and it's allowing yourself to have all of those emotions that come with it. And I think for a while was the avoidance of pain that I was seeking and that was completely wrong. If I could go back to talk to myself again, I would tell myself, like, run into it, feel all the feels. It's just, you know, the amount of sadness that I felt is just the way to the amount of love that I had for Laura. And so that that's a blessing and that's something I carry with me today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like finding your happy again, because you know she would want you to be happy again. Your son needs you to be happy and possitive.
Speaker 3: And we deserve it. Yeah, I mean at the end of the day, like I think there was, there was a long time there where I felt like an obligation to live a life for Laura, and I lost myself a little bit in that process. To be honest, I forgot who Michael was because I was very much in this service role of trying to do that. So as much as I honor Laura and just about everything that I do and I see her every day and my son, I lost a bit of my own identity in the process as a caregiver, as a father, as you guys know as parents, and all the roles that we play, like who are we now?
Speaker 1: How did this happen?
Speaker 3: Where are we?
Speaker 2: You know, you talk about being a caregiver and getting lord to all our doctor's appointments and everything that you had to you had to be strong for her, and then that void, that emptiness, that the suddenness of Okay, now I have a two year old to raise, and I again, my children were older and we had different conversations about loss and grief and all of those things. But for me, my kids were obviously a little bit older, so in some ways, in some ways it was more difficult. In some ways it was easier to have those conversations. But we now have gotten to a place in our family where we can make jokes and bring back the wonderful memories. That's got to be different for you because your son was so young. How do you keep Laura's memory alive? For James?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say in the beginning, I didn't want my son to forget how great his mother was. And then there was a point where I had to stop myself because I could be pushing this kind of guilt on him that he doesn't remember. And so what I started to do was, I mean, I told him stories about his mom, if he did something where he laughed just like her. I mean nature and nurture. I've said this before. It is nature all the way I mean he is. She is very much in him and it's a beautiful thing to see. And just like you, Kathy, there was a time when we couldn't look back at those memories without being sad, and now we're looking back there with a smile as how blessed we were that that, you know, out of the billions of years of the earth being around and all the billions of people, that somehow we crossed paths and created something so beautiful as this kid. And so yeah, I mean it's it's it's absolutely a tragedy, but I've I've tried to find the silver linings in it over time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what made you start your book? What were your thoughts going in?
Speaker 3: Yeah, the book really wasn't meant to be a book. It was a way. Well first it started as me acknowledging as a parent that I don't have the answers and breaching some of these topics are very uncomfortable for me. You know, there's so many things I had to learn as being both mother and father. It was, you know, rubbed some dirt on it, and you know its his kisses booboo, and.
Speaker 1: Which one should I do make you a man, a tough guy or kiss exactly?
Speaker 3: I mean, I got way these things out. So, I mean I've tried to learn all of these things. And one thing I've always loved doing was writing. So again, it never started as a book. I wrote actually thirty five of these stories that we would read at bedtime, that addressed not just grief, but growing up and all of the challenges that could be losing touch with a friend, that could be forgiving people, resentfulness, individuality, all of these things that kids but also grown ups struggle with too. And so in many ways, this book is equally for adults lessons that we forgot when we were kids, and it's it's really explained through kids' stories because we're more open to hearing it when it's in kids language than when someone's preaching at us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and kids and kids are so not judgmental, they're so open to receiving receiving messages. But and I have to tell the truth here. I've already ordered your book. We're going to tell people where they can get it in a bit here, But I've already read your book and ordered several copies because I think that people will think, if they know your story, that this book is about grief. And while it does touch on grief, it's what I was taken with when I read your book like three times. First of all the fabulous, incredible illustrations, but also you talk about resiliency, friendship, honesty, courage, all these attributes that we want our children to embrace and sometimes as adults we need reminders.
Speaker 3: Yes, and thank you for reading it. I really appreciate it. We poured so much into this and James actually hands selected seven of the stories in the book. And we use really Nature as a metaphor for growing up, growing old, and explaining the seasons of life, because nothing can teach us about seasons more than nature. And one of the best things that I have learned over the years is, no matter what type of emotion you're feeling, you have to be able to identify it first. You have to be able to understand and name it, name it and understand that it's not going to last forever. That we've seen these cycles before in our life, whether it was when we were fifteen trying to figure out what we're going to do with the rest of our life, whether it was the right person to get married with, struggling to get the job, saving to get the money, all of these things. We have gone through these cycles of celebrating and beating ourselves up. And you know, grief isn't just about losing a person. It is about mourning the loss of the person that you thought you would be in that season.
Speaker 2: That's right at that moment in time. And I think that for me again, Michael, I want to become your publicist because I'm totally I'm totally sold on this book. But I also feel like it it reminds people we all get so busy with our lives living in the moment, literally smelling the roses, literally looking up at the clouds, looking at the every every story that in this book has has multi layers of meaning. And I think that's why.
Speaker 1: To me, it's about being grateful, right, grateful.
Speaker 3: There's there's there's nature, there's gratitude in it. It is it is also appreciating the stillness in our lives. I know that me, for example, I feel a type of anxiety when I don't feel progress in my life. I feel like things are stagnant. I get antsy. But the truth is is that growth is happening in those still moments as well. And sometimes taking that step backwards is just regrouping so that you can make the next move. And so and there's a lot of different stories about that really put nature at the root of it to help bring us. At least for me and James, these are all our bedtime stories. It brought us a sense of calm, knowing that we're not the only ones that experienced this sty of It's really shared by almost everything in this planet.
Speaker 1: And as you were writing these short stories for his bedtime, do you think you were helping yourself heal At the same time, I was.
Speaker 3: Always writing them for myself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we always say the words we wish someone would say to us, right, And this book, if you read it, it doesn't lecture, it doesn't give you answers. It's it's supposed to create a conversation. Being clean, Yeah, a little critical thinking, create a natural bridge between parent and so that a conversation can happen. And what I have found is that every time I just had a conversation about the birds and bees with my son, I was freaking out about having this up.
Speaker 2: Is that in volume two of the next book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a different kind of nature that did not get put out of this book. But I'm sitting there sweating, like, oh my god, how do I bring this up? Geez, I wish suck I could get some help here. I brought up and he was like, oh, okay, cool, like he totally understood it. He you know, he I'm sure he'll have follow up questions. But kids can under I don't know. Kids can handle things sometimes a lot better than adults can.
Speaker 2: We overthink everything, and and kids are I think, much more resilient as us. They're just there and they're they they're not as judgmental. I mean, it's it's really we all need to recapture our childlike brains and minds.
Speaker 3: Because yes, in a way, yes, And when I was writing this book, I'm glad Kathy, when you read it you saw the layers, because I really wanted it to be a way for parent and child to connect at bedtime, but I've also wanted parents to It's almost a kid's book written for adults too. On the flip side, yeah, and for example, there's there's a story about a tale of two streams in here, where two streams live their whole entire life running parallel to each other. They swear they're going to be best friends for the rest of their life, and then they run into this big boulder that forces them to go their opposite directions. One takes the high land, the other one goes to the lowland. They experience totally different things and are fulfilled as individuals by that journey, so that one obstacle felt like the end of the world, but life continues and they end up coming back together, completely changed and better for it. So a kid may see two streams, but an adult may see a friend that they lost touch with that maybe they've outgrown in this season of life. Maybe it's a partner in a relationship and a divorce where that's where the road ends, and that's okay, And if the world brings us back together, then so be it. But for now, this season, it's time for us to go our different ways.
Speaker 1: Have you always been this level headed? I don't mean, come on, tell me the truth?
Speaker 3: Now? Who was who you talk to? I guess you.
Speaker 2: Read I was going to ask you, Michael, if, because truly I love all the stories, is there one story that feels particularly personal to you?
Speaker 3: I mean, they're all rooted in something that happened in my life. There's the bird that carried stones I think is one that's highly relatable, where there's stones thrown at this bird, and this bird figures out that the only way it can stay safe is if it gathers all the stones on the ground and sits on them. And so it just sits on these stones and it keeps them from flying, and so it starts to let them go. And that's I think. I think letting go and forgiveness is an easy thing to understand and to say, and it's a hard thing to truly feel. You really have to, you know, resentfulness can can can breed people that have done you wrong in the past, and really, what are we doing with all of that? We're really just carrying in reliving the worst situation that happened to us over and over and over again and giving it more late you got.
Speaker 2: It, I have to say, gotta let it go. But for me, the story about the tree, especially for you and me who have have suffered this extreme loss. And as you say, people have all kinds of losses in their life. But this tree that is worried about uh, in the fall loses its leaves, it's acorns, It can't provide shelter, it can't provide nourishment, all those things. But in the spring it starts over. And I read that book and it's read that story and it's it's such a reminder that we stand tall and we we we have that rebirth, and it's up to us to find ways to to build a new life. My heart was broken, my husband died, but I am a better person for it. I've learned so many lessons and change so much. So that's the story that speaks to me. They all speak to me.
Speaker 3: But I love, I absolutely love that you you connected with that one. And I think for me that is a lesson looking at my life down the road. That I'm a parent right now and I will be the best damn parent that I can be, but that's not all I can be, and I can't wrap my whole entire life. And it's an anxiety into a child that will go off and create his own life for himself. And I've seen this happen with so many parents, where once they become empty nesters, they look at their and they say, who are we? Yeah, you know, when there's no longer a schedule, when there's no longer you know, mom and dad and slates and dishes and all these things, So we can't lose ourselves in the wilderness of the well.
Speaker 2: That's when you take up golf. Yeah, right, before we move on?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but you fell love again.
Speaker 2: So that's right. But before we get there, before we get there, tell everyone, how do they order your book because you are not through Amazon, or how do people get this incredible book.
Speaker 3: So you can buy it online At the Wildheart Grows dot com. We're selling it online and focusing for the first twelve months just on independent bookstores mom and pops that have been doing good work out there that really kind of curate the experience. The books really meant to be this heirloom thing that you returned back to at different seasons of your life, reread it, and share it. All the illustrations were done by a fellow dad whose son is actually James's best friend. He's a professional oil painter named Luke Streeter, and he he did thirty five oil on canvas illustrations for this book by hand, and it's it's absolutely stunning. We're so proud of it.
Speaker 1: Gooeah for you. I can't wait read it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to get my copies.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I think they're going to get shipped out next week.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I can now tell us about Jade.
Speaker 3: Oh where do I start? Yes?
Speaker 1: Where do you start? Where did you start?
Speaker 2: Look at the spile.
Speaker 3: I got so lucky with this one. She she's literally like the light that we so needed in our life, and so it was after I got off the bachelorette she sent me a DM on Instagram and there was nothing romantic. It was just a long distance friendship. She had gone through some things in her life that she related to and from there we just had just a long friendship over the span of geez five six years. And it really wasn't until about two and a half years ago something around that that we came back kind of into each other's lives. She was getting off a breakup, so is I. And it was nice because it just it was a relationship that started as.
Speaker 1: A friendship friendship, which it was.
Speaker 3: Just really really nice. We knew each other, we had been there for each other in the past. There was no like facade or anything like that. It just felt really organic and she's I mean, just to watch her and James interact, it's such a relief to me that he reaches for her the way he does. It's it's it's all of these years of worrying that I had, wondering if that was ever going to happen, and if it did, would it ever feel as good? And all of those have an answered.
Speaker 1: What you happy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jade, and you live together, And I'm curious how that how you morphed to view well, you're you and James were a team for how many years?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Before? How does that? How did you? How did you manage that? I guess is my question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I I it's to say that it's easy to blend a family would be alive. It is a challenge, especially you know, somebody that lost their mother. It was, it was we really had to have a lot of conversations about how Laura can never be replaced and that how Jade isn't looking to do that. I had to have a lot of conversations with Jade about the fact that she never has to compete with Laura. Because this chapter is all entirely hers. There are so many things that Jade and I are doing with James right now that are the first time I've ever been able to co parent with somebody, and the first time I've ever been able to have these kind of memories. It and so it Jade moved in two years ago, and at first James was like, this is a lot of change happening. But Jade did just such a wonderful job of putting him at peace, like sitting with him answering his questions, reading him stories, and now it's like that's the kind of I mean, it's just such a complete household now, like it just feels really really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does he refer to her as mom or no?
Speaker 3: You know sometimes he does when we're at like school events, because he's just like calling daddy's girlfriend and like he looked over at or he's like just say you're my mom. And you know, we're trying to walk through all that, but he's not really overly focused on titles and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Again, that's the innocence of childhood.
Speaker 3: Yes, it really. I mean, I guess every kid to they're probably has their own experience, but James hasn't been focused on that. He he just recognizes that for a long time, at school events, at birthday parties, we were missing a piece. Yeah, and now now we actually feel like a completely.
Speaker 2: So since you, since you are so articulate and you have found love a second time, and aren't you are lucky and we are both so happy for you. But what do you say or what would you say to someone who has lost a spouse and wonders if they're ever going to find love again? What would you want to know.
Speaker 3: I would say, well, the first thing I'll say is for those people that surround them, give them unconditional support, Let them make mistakes, don't put timelines on them, don't judge, like, sit with them, listen to them. You have no idea the challenges that it takes to get back on your feet and to begin walking again after you've been wounded so poorly. So there's no room for judgment in the in the widower community whatsoever. And just some of the things that I've experienced myself, I would just say, the best thing you can do is just love and support them. And if it's uncomfortable watching somebody go through it, and it's uncomfortable watching someone date again, imagine how uncomfortable it is for them to have to do it. Like it's uncomfortable for everybody, but that's growth. And for people that have lost somebody, I would say that do what you want, like ignore the noise. If you want to have a bad day, have it, but stick with it long enough to know that there is hope at the end of this. There is Grief never goes away, we we find new ways of working with it. It eventually becomes a feeling that that feels more normal than it does anything else.
Speaker 1: It's always always there, but it's not always.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's always and there are there are certain songs, there's certain moments where you feel it all again and embrace those because sometimes that that pain that we feel is the connection that we still have to the person we lost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well said, well said I it okay.
Speaker 1: So we're going to ask you to do something.
Speaker 2: Really, ye're Michael. Every week we answer questions because we are Golden's and we have all the answers to everything you do, and so will you help us. We've got some questions here and we weigh in on your opinion. Yeah, let's fire away, right, Susan take it to do this?
Speaker 1: Michael, Okay, it says Hi, Susan and Kathy. I'm twenty eight and I've been dating my boyfriend for three years and everyone keeps asking when we're getting engaged except him. He says he wants to marry me someday, but he won't talk about a timeline. How long do you wait before asking if you're actually on the same page talk about labels?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 3: Michael? Oh, geez, yeah, I mean without knowing too much about their relationship. I would say, I would say, have a hard conversation with the guy. It's kind of a shit.
Speaker 1: Three years wow, yeah, and you're twenty eight the clock sticking.
Speaker 3: As they know, I will say this, this is one thing a lot of guys don't understand. They typically will label like women as being crazy for this, but they have no idea about the ticking clock. Guys never have to worry about this. If guys don't worry about this, they would be.
Speaker 1: So no population.
Speaker 3: Yeah maybe right, that's true.
Speaker 2: But wait a second, it's I got to take the as I often do Michael, take the opposite stance here. If she brings it up, that has the scent of ultimatum to me, and I don't think that ever works. So yeah, you can go and talk to them about it. But now once you do that, you know, once you say, look, I'm twenty eight, the clock's ticking, you're really asking him to put a label on it. And I feel like if he doesn't bring up marriage, maybe he just doesn't want to be married.
Speaker 1: But ye should have that conversation.
Speaker 3: I feel like it has to be a conversation because I feel like airs happen when the assumptions start getting made, and it's it doesn't have to be necessarily an ultimatum. But I think if she knows her partner as well as she should after three years, through a lighter line of questioning, she could probably get a hint as to how committed he really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, when he says someday, I'm not I'm not liking when I'm hearing someday.
Speaker 1: But Emily, don't be afraid to talk to him in a nice calm, just say I just want to make sure this is what I'm thinking, Share what your thoughts and your wants are. Not necessarily asking him to push or you know, walker crawl here. This is what I want within this timeframe. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: And if that doesn't work right.
Speaker 3: I'm glad I'm out of the dating world.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It thanks a lot, Michael. We're loving hearing that. Yeah, okay. This next one is from Jordan from Dallas. Hey, girls, I recently started dating a guy I really like, but he has a six year old daughter. I'm twenty eight and don't have kids, and I'm terrified of messing this up. When is the right time to become part of a child's life without overstepping You'll have the answer to that one.
Speaker 3: Michael, go baby, Wow, Jordan's got hands full there. I so, I truthfully believe that we build up and we always look at these worst case scenarios versus just bringing things up calmly and having just realed down to earth authentic conversation. So I would, if I was in Jordan's position, have a conversation with the child's parents and say, what makes you comfortable, Let's work on messaging. How can I spend more time with the six year old as just us two, because one of the things is is when you're all three together as a group, usually the child feels kind of in the middle and is pulling for attention and there's no room for the two people that need to make the biggest connection to really connect. So one on one time with the child so that they understand that this person that's coming into their house is, in addition, not a threat.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's nothing to add to that. That's actually a great answer.
Speaker 1: Thanks Jordan. We wish you luck. I hope it all works out.
Speaker 3: Because I've experienced that.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have one more and this is from Samantha from Boston. My fiance and I have always split everything right down the middle, and it's worked really well for us. But I recently got a huge promotion and now I make almost twice what he does. I can tell it's affected his confidence, even though he insists he's happy for me. He used to insist on paying for date nights, but now he'll make comments like I guess you can cover this one. There are jokes, but they don't really feel like jokes. Not sure how to handle this.
Speaker 2: I'd send them on the freedom Trail.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, no, babe, I got it. I'm gonna pay for vacation this year.
Speaker 3: Right. You get a car, You get a.
Speaker 1: Car, I want a house.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right. But you know, I this is this is a tricky one because I will say I will just speak for myself, like I I was just raising that old school way, I mean, where we pay for open doors, we pay for things, but by no means is that caught up in my own identity. I do that because it's a love language of mine. I like to provide. I like to work hard and let other people enjoy it. And so I mean, I guess she probably needs to figure out is he really offended and that's probably going to be a difficult answer to truly get because he will say no because he's probably embarrassed by the fact that he does feel less because he's not being able to match her in her progress. But it's not a reflection of them too as a relationships. It's just money and that's just one of a million other things that people can provide in a relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when he says, I guess you can cover this one, I think that the mistake here is, like you have said on these other questions, Michael, she needs to have the conversation with him about have that financial conversation because money is it can be a problem in relationships, right, So have the conversation with them. I know I'm learning a lot more. How do you feel about this? Is there a way that we can make it more equable that you'll feel better? But not saying that I would.
Speaker 3: Go with this. If you're around the house and you see laundry and dishes, you say to him, I guess you can handle this.
Speaker 1: One, and I make the money.
Speaker 2: You do the laundry right, and you'll put you on allowance pal that's right. And if you don't like you know, those options head for the freedom trans exactly.
Speaker 1: But they are engaged at their engage, and I think they should sit down and she say, Babe, I'm going to put X amount of dollars so we can get our first house. You don't have to worry about that. We're doing this together and I'm making that much more. I'm going to put this aside, so it's not that hard coming out of your pocket too. Like you, you're a team. You're going to get married, so that can be worked out. I wouldn't, I.
Speaker 2: Will say, Susan, it's very different. Now I have kids your age, Michael, and they they do finances differently than we did. You know, they have his account, her account, a house account, so there and the reason they do that is so when my daughter, who I don't know where she came from Amazon, you know, has a straight shot to her house at least twice a day. But she's using that out of her discretionary income. And so there's no discussion about your spending too much money because they put in equal amounts to the home, to the running of home, to investments. I think that's a smart thing to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we have everything just going into one pot. So I'm going to pitch that idea to.
Speaker 2: Oh, only it's a problem when I got married, Susan. I think you and I have talked about this when we got married. Uh, you know, I earned hardly anything in those days, but we put all our money together and we shared the chores and we shared the I did most of the cooking at that time. I'm saying, but it was one pot of money. But there were times when you know, there was something I wanted that if I had had my own quote unquote pot of money, I could have said, you know, yeah, I got it. You don't want to spend the money on it. But I've earned this money. This is my play money, my spending money, and I think, you know that's that's a good solution sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I wouldn't give up hop Smantha. I wouldn't have a conversation make him feel better.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually, I got to find the guy first who wants to split the bills, and then that's just a d That is just a detail. Anyway, you can submit all your questions, burning or otherwise to us by going to Bachelor nation dot com slash Golden Hour come back see if we answer yours. Maybe we'll have Michael back again because he certainly had all the right answers here.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael, we have a good one for you. This is our dating edition. So this week we're going to play a game where we're going to give Michael a sentence about dating and he has to finish it. So we're going to just read it off and boom whatever comes to mind. Don't overthink it.
Speaker 2: It's like Jeopardyala.
Speaker 1: The biggest green flag is consistency.
Speaker 2: Oh good one. If they text back instantly, I love them.
Speaker 1: I know a relationship is over when.
Speaker 3: We don't laugh anymore.
Speaker 2: Wait, I need to write down his answer. Season. The most overrated dating advice is.
Speaker 3: That it's that the more extravagant it is, the better.
Speaker 1: Okay. A first date should always oh geez, you're doing good.
Speaker 3: Just the first date should always be planned by the guy.
Speaker 1: I love you.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, je Je, we love you, Jade, hold on to this one, Okay. The quickest way to ruin the date.
Speaker 3: Is talk about yourself the whole time.
Speaker 1: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: If they still have this in their apartment, I'm out.
Speaker 3: Oh that could be a lot of things I would say. Uh, pictures of x'es that's what I.
Speaker 2: Was gonna say. Yeah, love is.
Speaker 3: Unconditional.
Speaker 2: A situationship is just.
Speaker 3: I would I know, I got answered quickly. I would say, is just figuring it out.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: The reason the reason why I like some I've seen situationships that have developed, and I've also seen them that flopped. So I maintained situationships sometimes.
Speaker 1: But okay, the biggest relationship ick.
Speaker 3: Is biggest relationship ick is uh lying.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's not an ick, Susan. I used to play a game, what was it? Something ick and oo, and then the worst one was like kick them to the curb. They're a line line, they're out for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, So so it is something that just is like a turnoff. Yes, yes, I really have to say. There's a few things I'm really turned off by, like like.
Speaker 1: A dirty house would do it for me?
Speaker 2: Like if you weren't no, no, wait, wait, Susan a crumb wait with Susan a crumb on the counter is let's.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes I am. But I can put up with some things. But people that don't keep their bathroom like that's hygiene to me, that would be a huge I don't even think I could come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I I could see that. I fall into this naive space all the time where I think people can learn and adapt, but I have I have been wrong about that so many.
Speaker 2: All Right, if my best friend dated my ex, I would.
Speaker 3: Oh, not like it.
Speaker 1: I want my ex to date Nancy.
Speaker 2: Nancy. Nancy's from our season on The Golden Bachelor, and she has to make a great pair, I really do.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on how far are you removed from that expre if you're fresh off the breakup and your friend and that's a problem. If you're happy and everything's settled, then yeah, good luck.
Speaker 2: Wow. I'm surprised most women will say to you that you know their girlfriends could never date the Rex. I'm like, cave at it. I'm done with them. Good luck to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly our way with words.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Michael, I don't know, is there any other great last pearl of wisdom that you are any questions you have for Susan and May.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy you guys, And I was telling Kathy on the last podcast that we did. I love seeing the Goldens and I think it's such a good take to really show people that have experienced life that really come at it from a different mature level, and you guys were so entertaining to watch, so the authenticities there, the love's there. I got nothing for you.
Speaker 1: Guys, and I have just handle it different. When you're older, I think you.
Speaker 3: Know you did. You don't create your own problems.
Speaker 2: All you're real and again you realize you know, life is short and the little stuff just doesn't matter, and a lot of the big stuff doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: Right, touly matters.
Speaker 1: Mostly they admire you, Michael. I can't wait to read your book, say one more time where they could get it and the title, if you will please.
Speaker 3: The wild Heart grows right here. Just happen to have a copy. Get it at the wildheartrows dot com and pre sale is officially done and orders will be shipped out next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I wish i'd ask you to sign mine for me, but that's I'll have to meet you in person so I can get it done.
Speaker 3: I'll try to find a way to get one to you.
Speaker 2: Oh you are so kind. Well, thank you, Michael, I truly mean this. Thank you so much for joining us on Bachelor Golden Hour. Where can our listeners follow you? But aside from ordering your book, how can they follow you?
Speaker 3: Oh, you can follow me on Instagram. It's Michael Alio L four on Instagram, and I'm almost never on TikTok or anything, so don't even follow me on that. I honestly didn't think i'd even have social media until after I got off the show. Likewise, of course, I mean it's not Facebook until like my junior year at college. So yeah, this whole thing's new to me. Yeah, come check out or down whatever you guys want to do.
Speaker 1: And thank you, and make sure to rate us, review us, and subscribe wherever you listen to your podcasts.
Speaker 2: And you can follow us on social media at Bachelor Happy Hour and at Bachelor Nation until next week. I hope you have a crazy then.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 2: Alright mm hm