Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home, everybody. This is Native Lamppod. I'm your host, Angela Rye with our other host Andrew Gillim and Tiffany Cross and Hey, so we have a little mess from the d n C that we're going to talk about. This is uh after dark. You know, no name.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say anybody's name.
Speaker 3: More these clowns.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think we just start chronologically.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, now you have the floor.
Speaker 2: I will tell it. So this wasn't any of us, but I'm just telling the story of must be told exactly.
Speaker 3: Okay, it happened.
Speaker 1: Was what happened was we were in line going through security and this was somebody in front of us that it had something in their bag. So I do want to point out that in Illinois, marijuana is legal.
Speaker 2: You can possess you're.
Speaker 1: Not breaking the law, not a federal well, federally, unfortunately, marijuana is still listed as a Schedule one drug and considered illegal, which puts a lot of local municipalities at odds with the federal government. A lot of airports at odds. So really that is just a policy that I think needs to change, not even for people who use it, but for people who.
Speaker 2: Are impacted by it.
Speaker 1: It's an unnecessary thing for people to have to go through anyway. So I don't know the rules. Perhaps my lawyer, who is present with me, can weigh in. If you are on federal property, which I think the United Center was where everything was happening at the d NC, does it then become illegal. I don't know if the TSA finds it in your bag on an air force, but I'm saying that the airport is a TSA. They are a federal organization, even though the state, you know, if you're traveling to another state where it's legal front with it. I don't know all those rules. We weren't trying to find out it. So somebody in front of us had something in their bag and so normally they're not looking for.
Speaker 2: We allegedly that's what they started yelling out right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the magnetopaitis are looking for like magnet, looking for material, magnetic petic material.
Speaker 1: So when this person in front of us, when their bag was flagged, one of the officers pulled out and said what is this? And you could see that it was a j in a little tube, A.
Speaker 3: J for the people who don't don't know what that is. It was a joint in a clear glass container.
Speaker 4: To have something magnetic.
Speaker 1: They had a pop on and you know when the officer said what is this, I immediate we thought, oh, I bet that person one probably didn't know they had it in their bag, and two probably didn't know that the top was metal, because otherwise it would have gone through.
Speaker 2: You could have thought that was it would have gone through it no problem.
Speaker 3: Any know why they had to be right in front of us, But.
Speaker 2: I was crazy so great.
Speaker 4: I felt bad for them, but they had They were like, look that is mine.
Speaker 3: But we don't we don't, we don't, we don't know. We wanted to make sure that we were clear that it was not ours.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: But but what I love is how everybody kept a steady hand.
Speaker 2: Nobody was like right, oh my god, you know, everybody was like we.
Speaker 3: Were talking to them.
Speaker 4: We felt like, you know, we were with them, so we were like, that ain't his that I don't know where that came from. I was like, I ain't see it. I don't know, and was like, look, it was the exetllnal pocket. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, so now let's move along. So here's the other shortly thereafter. I just want to it was good, Yes, me too, Andrew. After that was chilling us because Tiff saw Omerosa. Oh that was the only name. I'm sorry, I mean to say her name, Andrew. She yeah, he does need to apologize because Tiff saw her, and then we said some things because we didn't know why she was there, Like you go to the rn c our show. It's interesting, So Andrew apologize yet.
Speaker 4: So let me give some perspective here. You know, we were we were closing out the show on one of these days, Tuesday, I think I think it was Monday. That wasn't it was Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Whenever you came over and said next to us.
Speaker 4: She came over because there was another co host. It was Tuesday. That was the only night that it was just the three of them.
Speaker 3: No, I came over at the end.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what, because the over there, You're right Tuesday, You're right, you're right.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you again. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I said, sorry, did you say.
Speaker 4: When you're dead? Wrong? So I agree. We all agree. When you're dead wrong, you apologize.
Speaker 3: So things.
Speaker 4: We're asked by our host friend Angela to offer some reflections about the day, and we're all high on that, and then you know, as happened. Sometimes. I was speaking and giving my reflections on the experience and I look over and I see they're hitting each other like each other should. Yeah, y'all were y'all were doing this tag team and hit you too. And then you look at the video, y'all because it's indisputable. And then what happens is I say, what's going on now? Like name, such person is taking pictures of us? Such person who works?
Speaker 3: Who is that doing?
Speaker 4: So I said, y'all, I'm you know, we're in our show. So they're like, I'm sorry. They come back to the show. A few moments later, not very many moments later, it's again you see see you see you. I'm like, what is God?
Speaker 2: I said, you know what we signed, y'all know.
Speaker 4: The same person, except it's a new experience for you. So you know, we got to interrupt again the show and so's not of her.
Speaker 2: You were like, tell me, why would you think that kept in your life?
Speaker 4: Because I don't ever recall seeing you all pay attention to anybody.
Speaker 1: Somebody don't like it's tap dance in front of you and taking pictures of you.
Speaker 2: You may feel pictures about the whole time. No, but why I trust them? I don't trust her. I agree, she's still concerned.
Speaker 3: She still love.
Speaker 4: That the Feds look And this is without regard to whomever.
Speaker 3: What about I got followed in the elevator.
Speaker 2: Let's get to that. Let's get to that. That's what I want to talk about. So I got followed.
Speaker 4: I want to do people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so number one, I think that we learned that we feel real pedestrian, but we're not real pedestrian. And Jay r J. Andrew's wife just told her, just like y'all be moving like you not who you are. You need to follow Sometimes that catches. Yeah, we definitely need to all.
Speaker 4: We need to go in groups, go in groups, always going.
Speaker 3: Because I went on the elevator by myself, allegedly, but I was on the phone talking to my manager and another guy got on the elevator and he was like, you've been calling me crazy DC for ten years And I.
Speaker 4: Was like, what who are you?
Speaker 3: Who are you? And he said his name which shall not be repeated. Actually don't remember his name again, said.
Speaker 4: I got it, I got it.
Speaker 3: She only got the first name.
Speaker 4: No, I got both. I know what I know to do.
Speaker 3: Oh, you searched it, Okay. So anyway that this man works in a financial services company. He's a minister and my friend's church, come to find out. But I haven't been there and sometimes so I don't know him. And it was just a whole mess. And he was you've been calling me crazy, and DC call me to b wergeing off the elevator.
Speaker 1: I think it's important to say, you know, because don't let me just let me just say, as men on an elevator with a man who was speaking to you aggressively, because I don't want to make light of this. A man who was speaking to you aggressively. Angela had already hit her floor because I was like, why would you like get off on your floor?
Speaker 2: She had already hit it. He came on after her, and he's said.
Speaker 3: He would have got off, I would have got back on another O.
Speaker 1: Yes, but he's speaking to her aggressively, and then when she's getting off the elevator, he says, bitch. Now, imagine as a woman, it's one thirty in the morning. You buy yourself on this elevator. It's not very populated in the halls. Some crazy person's on here talking crazy to you, and you getting off the elevator you don't know they about to get off with you, and they say, bitch, that's a problem. So Angela tells us this story the next day, and Andrew's like, who.
Speaker 2: Is this dude? Like, we gonna google and were gonna look him up to see who he is.
Speaker 4: No, we were going to do something else, but we but first we.
Speaker 2: Had to know who he was and what he looked like.
Speaker 3: We were just gonna report, and we weren't gonna do anything threatning I was. I think, no, it just this is a recording. We are not I'm not saying.
Speaker 1: I was gonna cause physical violence, but I was going to do more than.
Speaker 2: Just report him.
Speaker 3: Well, he has been reported and hopefully his pastors talked to him and he's figured it out. But we did see him on the convention floor night.
Speaker 1: I asked Angela, point him out when you see him this is the night Yea, but I.
Speaker 3: Think froggy froggy not high. We were on the moment it was, but I think on that floor it was packed and it was high tension because you couldn't move, and it was stressful, and I was watching people.
Speaker 1: And all these tying around you. Literally, somebody would be like this on you, like.
Speaker 4: Move. Charlamage and I were standing next to each other. I look one way. Next thing I know, I look back. He's platform. This dude had got up on a bitcher or something.
Speaker 3: But no, the thing is the guy was there and he still had the crazy eyes. The funny thing is, how are you going to confront somebody crazily in an elevator at a crazy time to say you call me crazy and ten for ten years? Who I never know? You? You crazy for saying it, but you actually sound crazy doing it. That's interesting too, but I digre. The point is we saw crazy eyes on the floor and crazy eyes. When I saw him, I said, tip, that's him, and then Tiff said.
Speaker 4: I said.
Speaker 1: I've been ready and Peaches and herth came out.
Speaker 3: No they didn't. She didn't swing at nobody.
Speaker 2: I walked up to him.
Speaker 1: But okay, I'm being silly, but this is the truth of it. Fence that a man would put a woman in that position, and I do want people to know.
Speaker 2: You were not just talking to Angela.
Speaker 1: You're talking to me too, You talking to Andrew, You're talking to anybody who rocks with us. And so at this point Andrew is like we First of all, at this point we have gotten on Andrew's last nerve about ten times a day. So Andrew is with us, but he like, I need five five feet away from y'all, right now.
Speaker 2: He needed five hundred feet apparently.
Speaker 1: So I walked up to the guy on the floor because I wanted him to know it was not okay. And I said you better watch your mouth. And he said you don't know me. And I said you better watch your mouth. And so Lolo was with us, and lo Lo is like, you know, let's go. So we're moving, but I wanted him to know. I'm like, I wish he would. So he's behind us, like.
Speaker 3: Balloons are dropping.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's necessary.
Speaker 1: You would have done the same thing. I'm froggy. You was feeling froggy on the elevator. Now we all feeling froggy. So now and you would just.
Speaker 2: Angela because he knew better.
Speaker 1: So this is we not five seconds off this incident, okay.
Speaker 2: And then Angela is taking a picture with somebody.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just saw a former A former. Well he's still a friend, a friend who I worked on Capitol Hill with Darryl Doss. I will name check him. I love you, Daryl. I'm sorry we had We were trying to get our selfie and there was a fraud that was trying to like he just was in the picture, and it's like, can you please get out of our picture?
Speaker 1: Someone who has publicly harassed us, who's been saying ugly things about us, and someone who is has done and said fraudulent things with people we know.
Speaker 2: Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: To get resources, you had to get resources from extract resources from the organizations that helped to fight against the thing that we talked about on our most recent podcast, voter fraud, Alleged voter fraud, voter fraud, intimidation, voter suppression, or voting rights protecting voting rights all across South organizations that do that work. This individual has taken money out of their hands to do whatever it is they want to do. I'm not naming one.
Speaker 4: Want to be in the picture, right, that's no.
Speaker 3: I didn't want him photo bombing me, So I just was like, can we wait a second, there's I don't take pictures with thieves in them. And then he didn't move, and I was like, this person took money from my friend. And then then he was like.
Speaker 4: What you said? What you said? So then I was like, why.
Speaker 3: My friend her money back? I named her, and then he was like, no, we got to have a conversation. And then Tip says, we're a walk.
Speaker 1: We're being escorted off the floor, and again he is aggressively pursuing Angela. So I held my hand out and if you're listening, bleep me and mute this part. But I said, no, you ain't got ship to say that, Angela, get the f away from us, and he is trying to push past me to get to Angela in a very aggressive way that made me uncomfortable. So I continue to yell. I don't know what I said at that point, but we were with Leonard.
Speaker 4: She carried away in somebody's arms, and she's still.
Speaker 1: No, no away, but just a person was aggressively pursuing Angela.
Speaker 3: And I was yelling, you're a fraud, You're a f and fraud, which is the truth. But also I'll just say, you know, thank God that Leonard's security was there to make sure that it didn't get any worse. He prevented the man from doing anything further. Lenard is a little bit taller than me, but he's very protective of all of us and wanted to make sure that this man was understanding that there was no conversation to be had with any women, and so did the security.
Speaker 1: But literally, why are you aggressively going after women that way? Do not aggressively approach these women? And he he did not listen. So and then at this point it's a melee guy like there are people around us, it's a whole wow.
Speaker 3: It looks crazy. And then he's feeling bad because there's literally we're robbing people of this really historic moment, and it's like for what. And I think part of it for me was like there were people even like, you know, Blue Vess walked up during our podcast, and you know, you have been like going above and beyond to try to get folks to not pay attention to this very important case, trying to ensure that Marilyn Moseby gets pardoned over a case that, sure, I disagree with the outcome of the case. I wish that that prosecutorial office didnt follow that, but that was in Maryland's work, you know, and for you to go above and beyond you're allegedly a justice reform advocate. But my only point is I got suspended in the seventh grade, and it was because.
Speaker 2: I'm making a point. I'm making a point.
Speaker 3: I got suspended the seventh grade, and it was for fighting a fight that wasn't mine. I am far more protective of the people in my life than I am for myself. It's probably something I need to work on in therapy. But I will just say I don't want to be at something as historic as the DNC and there's beefs popping up all around. Most of them were not ours. Most of them were not ours. But I do think that people need to be accountable for the things they say, especially when they're engaging in dangerous, toxic rhetoric and engaging in dirty, nasty work behavior. And I think those are the things that we're running. When I look back at what happened, I'm not pleased at how I engage with these folks. I think it could be done in better ways. But like also, there are some people I don't want to have a sit down conversation with because I don't think that you are mindful enough about your actions to care. I think some people are attention hos, you know, like they they're gonna do what they need to do to get attention. And I don't want to engage with you because you're Yeah, that's a nice way to put it to you know, I don't want to engage with you because there's no sincerity in what you're doing. You're just gonna do what you think is gonna go viral. And that's why it's funny blue best because your little tweets didn't get no traction.
Speaker 1: But I honestly, to me, whatever the reasoning behind it was is irrelevant to me. Whatever reason this person on the elevator had, whatever reason this person on the floor had, and pursuing you, whatever reason you know, somebody taking pictures up, whatever it is. If you are making me uncomfortable, if I can't go like this without touching you, you are infringing on my right to exist and it makes me feel uncomfortable. More so, it makes me feel in danger. So again to a PSA, do not put anyone in that position. And also, look, I think we're all intelligent people. You know, with intellectual curiosity here and that is how we show up. That is who we are for the most part. But like many in our community, there is another side, and we are you know, we work to check ourselves and you know, to sit across from people we disagree with and still maintain a collegial atmosphere. Once you cross a certain line, well now we're just two people with the problem with each other, and you're infringing on my right to exist. You don't want to put yourself or any of us in that situation. We are living in crazy times where people are absolutely batshit crazy out here. Don't conduct yourself that way. Don't put yourself or us in harm's way or make anybody feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: So or you're in conflict with me and I'm not aware, right and we're not from are and then now you we got beef, we got We don't have any of that because we don't know each other.
Speaker 3: Don't even know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what who said what to me two years ago on social media. We're not looking at at things like that, like that's a I don't.
Speaker 4: Read comments, I ain't seeing them. I don't know it was interesting to then later learn about this other dude, last dude we're talking about, then went on and trashed us all through.
Speaker 2: And that was before the thing.
Speaker 3: What you are.
Speaker 4: But y'all to the hotel the day we checked in, and this very person embraces me, and I embraced it a full fledged rug.
Speaker 2: They get tweeted the same day.
Speaker 4: The insult is herald and I would never have known is whatever. No, it's all good. I mean, please, it is what it is. I feel worse about what happened because by the time y'all get to be I'm in the tonnel, I got ear plugs in, I'm listening to music. Even the people as they go by, I see them coming in my but I see something has gone down because I see the security guard is a little at you know, Emptop. I said, Tiff, what's up? You're like nothing, everything is great, not.
Speaker 2: Because I know in your nerves.
Speaker 1: Andrew, I'm like, let's just get out of here, Balinarie, to just get out of here.
Speaker 3: He said, don't say anything.
Speaker 1: That's what I got in trouble. When we got in the car, He's like, don't see anything, like you just keep walking.
Speaker 4: And I missed all of that. I had the ear plusant and went to sleep. So I learned about it the next morning. And then at this point it's like, oh man, you know, but all that to say to some of the one it was a overwhelmingly great event too. It was. It was great connecting with a whole bunch of people. The downside, and I think some of this yellers we give. I think we we We are really good, decent people who try to create a family atmosphere with everyone that we come into contact with, and especially y'all who are our listeners and supporters and friends, and that kind of thing, to the point where you know, beefs can be had. You might be mad at me for something I said on the show or something and I don't even know, We don't no, and so this tension gets well into a situation and it escalates and it's so unnecessary. And listen to if you said, you know, I wouldn't conduct to myself. Listen. Sometimes people put you in situations that we don't like to be in, and you can do what it takes as a human and your survival instincts get in to do what's required. That's what it is.
Speaker 1: We welcome disagreement. We do not invite confrontation in a negative way. You see me out and you want to don't agreement without those prospect right exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I prefer it in an email.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't want you to email email me.
Speaker 2: But you can come back to me and disagree with people. I don't if itsrespectful, I don't mind.
Speaker 3: I think I think if if that could just offer a best practice for myself. I'm not putting this on y'all. I think that if I could go back, what I would have done is to try to tamp it down a bit. Like I think that my my feelings were justified, but my feelings did not have to come out and rage the way they did. And I think that there are some things that just don't deserve it, like me yelling about blue vests on a stage. What did that really resolve? Like, sure we might have exposed some things, but what's really the point telling the dude he's a fraud. Clearly he knew who he was a fraud because I never said his name, But he was the only person out of that huge group that responded. Will always holler, and so that's the thing I think that I specialize in calling out, and I would like to be better about calling up. It's just not necessary. And so the thing I want to work on is like filtering out, like, Okay, here's how I'm feeling. How can I resolve those feelings so that I can have an uplifting conversation if at all with people. And then to Tip's point, one of the things that she's saying to me opten and I'm trying to put it in a practice every day, is like, is this person telling me this because they want me to resolve it?
Speaker 2: Or do they need an issue spot or do they need a strategist?
Speaker 3: Do they need a listening ear or do they need an end or do they need to vent? And I can take on I've heard my friends problems. They didn't ask me to go start to go be an MMA fighter or even to be you know, a mediator. Maybe they were just sharing and maybe I can just hold them and hold space for that thing instead of trying to resolve it myself. Ain't nobody asked me to roll up no sleeves.
Speaker 1: I think all that's fair, But I also just want to punctuate for the people listening who may find themselves in these positions. You did not invite that, like it didn't matter what you said, how you responded. Yes, I call people out too. I'm also very prepared to face the consequences. I don't say anything on social media that I wouldn't look somebody in their eye and say I don't have Twitter fingers if I'm not gonna be able to back it up in person. And I told here, But I also don't want to put people around me in a bad situation.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like my mother told me that when I was little. She's like, don't put the men in this family in a bad situation. I mean, your brother, you'll follow your uncles. Because if I say one thing to my brother, my brother is when I said, my brother will be ready to throw knuckles on the spot, like he just don't have a filter. My uncles would gladly do some jail time for somebody who hurt me. So I always had to navigate that space carefully. But that does not mean that any woman is inviting you to confront her in an aggressive way that looks like it can get physical. That's out of pocket, no matter what was said to you on the front end. But I will say when Angela and I left the hotel. The next day on the airport, we had on our dark glasses, our sneakers, our haros and ponytail.
Speaker 2: Like who else wants up?
Speaker 4: They had, they dashed up.
Speaker 2: We was ready. Okay, all right, we gottad it.
Speaker 3: We love y'all. We're not inviting it. But also we're not putting these dudes in a bad situation.
Speaker 4: Some situations you just got to pull up. Welcome home, Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcast Ask Myheart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.