Speaker 1: Welcome to No Dounks for Thursday, July twenty third. I'm Testnalls alongside me in this zoom window. It's the bearded one Tray Kirby Hey Hey, And of course it's the International Man, a mystery Lelis friend and the man making the magic happen. It's JD.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: There he is here. We are no j E. Skeets. He is in a cabin for a couple of days, just hanging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very fancy looking cabin. Some some exclusive views.
Speaker 4: It looks like up there.
Speaker 5: He did tell us he was going glamping, so yeah, it's it's it's lived up to the hype.
Speaker 4: So I far emphasis on the glam. It looks like, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's in glamping, like nice camping. He's not a tent.
Speaker 5: Well, so I thought that as well. So yeah, I thought, you know, he's in a cabin. I mean, that's not even glamping. That's like staying in a hotel.
Speaker 1: That's pretty nice. But he will be back on Monday. We do believe if he decides to come back from that beautiful scenery he's at. We actually had some basketball guys. We've got a ton to get into the Hawk's new Jersey's wedgies already day one of scrimmages. Again, it's wild. We thought there would be uptick. We'll get into that. We'll get into some fishing, of course, got to trade. Just did some serious fishing this past week. Alex Caruso missing his sister's wedding to stay in the bubble because he wants to win a title. But first, I don't know, we might start with the actual basketball and to do that, it's time for the up down report. It was crazy to see ten grown men on a basket ball floor running up and down for the first time in four months. Is just a scrimmage, but it had Twitter going all crazy. It was the look in the field that we were all sort of worried about, concerned about, thinking about. And the actual game start on July thirtieth, but I imagine the look in the field will be quite similar. So just to quickly set the scene before we go up and down on the field. If you're looking at it from the main camera where we always watch basketball from. Huge NBA logo at logo at mid court, black Lives Matter written above it across center court, huge plexiglass in front of the scorer's table where the PA announcer is and all the employees are, and they're socially distanced in there.
Speaker 3: Watch out for Alf Samuelson. He'll throw you into the boards, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, wild looking. Lots of space on the sideline. It's blank right now, no team names or anything. The team names are all along video boards along the side. Lots of space on the baseline. There was some music. There are some sounds being thrown in there. So let's to it up or down on the NBA bubble Viewing Experience tray. What'd you think of it?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm up. The NBA is back.
Speaker 3: It was great just being able to watch basketball. It's different. All the things you described, tasks, you know, things I think kind of trended towards the generic side.
Speaker 4: Look wise.
Speaker 3: You know, there's no paint basically on the court anywhere. You know, they could have painted the lane black, they could have painted it red, they could have given it some sort of color. But I thought that watching the game, it felt like the NBA. It looked like the NBA. The sounds are definitely different, and I think, you know, I think everybody's kind of willing to give the NBA a pass on the sounds because we know these games don't count, so we've got still another week to figure out exactly how it's gonna sound when we're watching games that matter, but watching it seeing robotic cameramen, seeing just a few actual human cameramen, it looked the same to me. I got used to the plexiglass on the side, you know, the big video boards as well. I think can be pretty cool. Who knows what they're actually going to do with those during the season, during the restart. Are they going to put you know, fans going crazy on them? Maybe at some point. But I thought it looked like the NBA, and I thought it felt like the NBA, so I was happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same here. I mean, I sort of you know, at the start, we knew it was going to be different, and the first few possessions it was different. You can certainly hear a few more squeaks on the court and a little bit more, you know, the whistles seem a little bit louder, But once the games start, you sort of forget about that and you're just enjoying watching basketball again and again, as you mentioned that trade, these are only scrimmages. They don't count. But This is pretty much how it's going to look when the games do count, So I don't think it's going to be a whole lot different from what we're seeing now. But yeah, those things in the background with the digital boards, like those are the sort of things that give you a little bit more you know, that aren't usually there during the regular season. So there's something else that's a bit different. But I mean, it's like it's kind of like an upgrade on Summer League, even though there's fans at summer League, but it's better than the sort of summer league we've seen in Orlando anyway, you know where that's just like in a tiny gym. I thought it was fine, And again, this is better than no basketball at all. So it's a little bit of an adjustment for us. But really, at the end of the day, you're saying good basketball, you're saying proper basketball, and it's fine. I'm more than happy with it, and I think it will get used to it pretty quickly and it'll be great.
Speaker 1: You have my biggest worry from from the viewers experience from sitting here, just in terms of watching it was empty stands, and they basically got rid of that because of all those monstrous video boards, right they're they're covering all the seats, and so, yeah, they sometimes they throw logos in there, and I thought it might be distracting for players, but it's not really at eye level. And then you know, I actually went back and looked at old basketball games because I forgot what basketball games are, you know, when they when they played normally, and there's you know, there's tons of different colors and players site lines anyway, so it really I don't think it really matters. And you said, Trey, maybe they throw up virtual fans. You know, the first couple of games, they just had logos in there. And then I'm guilty. I didn't watch every quarter of every scrimmage yesterday, but I did see Bleacher Report put up a clip of the Miami Heat. They were on offense and they and I'm watching it right now here they put up fans. They looped Heat fans, so they're in red cheering and it sort of feels like, yeah, the fans are there, and they didn't pipe in that. They are experimenting with how much sound they put in there, and they didn't pipe it in like crazy. They did have music sort of you know, just just standard music that you would hear in an arena. Did that bother? It all trade just just the sort of the sights and sounds part of it.
Speaker 4: The sounds.
Speaker 3: My main concern with the sounds is all the broadcasts are different, right if you are watching, Like if you were watching the Nuggets broadcast, they basically had a zoom call on top of it, and that to me was a no go. The Clippers were doing a simulcast between their television broadcast and their radio broadcasts, so at times it felt like you were listening to a radio broadcast, no doubt about it. My main concern though, with the music would be that you cannot have songs from the nineties like I heard even Gwen Stefani's let Me Blow Your Mind. We can't have that. We cannot have that playing during twenty twenty during this restart. If we're only gonna be hearing music that's going on in the arena, it's got to be current music or confirmed bangers.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's like watching a Spurs game. I mean, it feels like the Spurs just played a good point. Ok. Yeah, but you know it was. And that was the other concern was that, like you could just hear squeakers or squeakers, sneaker squeakers. You could just that's all you would be able to hear. Is is nothing, and it would just sound like Summer League. But I think they did a good job of keeping sort of a there's like a hum. You know, there were there even though there was no fans in there, and you could see photos from reporters where there was just like just thirty reporters sitting there watching a basketball game socially distanced, which was weird. They did a good job of keeping just a certain volume where it didn't make it sound like this wasn't an NBA game. And I did see Ryan Hollands tweet something he said, you know, a lot of us play pro am in the summer, a lot of guys play without fans, so we're sort of used to that kind of feel like we do play like that. But it isn't an NBA Finals game. I mean that that makes it different. But I think the NBA, you know, watching it, it's only day one and lots of testings. Sure has to happen, the coronavirus might enter the bubble, but day one, I think it it was great, and I think, like we talked about, the sidelines were crazy blank and even extended past the the baselines as well. It looked made it made it look like the court was kind of smaller and especially small in the corners just because of the different space. Do you think they changed that lee or is that by design just to keep the Black Lives Matter font even more prominent. I think that might be the idea. But yeah, but also is really blank.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was, and and sort of try to mention that there. I think I would have probably painted the lanes they're the key, you know, the free throw line area there, just to just.
Speaker 4: To give it a little in the Penson area, mate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, So I would just put a little something in there. But but again, I don't know if the NBA is going to, you know, but potentially, you know, tweak these things as they go along, you know, based on on the feedback they see from what people are watching and saying about it. But yeah, I mean, it's it's It definitely is weird to see just an NBA logo and not a home team's logo and the home team's colors or anything like that that that had the summer league feel to it. But I think, you know, it's this has never been done before, so it's a it's an experimental thing for the NBA, and I think honestly, after day one, though, everyone's got to be pretty happy with the results because no one's saying it was just a you know, torturous experience to watch. You know that what you mentioned there with the Nuggets, you know, that was an unusual thing. We've never seen that before. Will that continue? You know, maybe I'm not sure. But if you if you if you don't want to hear the Nuggets broadcast you was there wasn't well, I guess you could hear the other one, but that was something that was sort of imposing on the on the experience, but it wasn't It wasn't bad. It was just if you didn't want to hear the Nuggets commentators, you sort of have to. So I think I think those are the sorts of things that people are just going to figure out right now in this scrimmage week and probably adjust them when the game's really start, and certainly for the playoffs.
Speaker 1: I love me some Nuggets broadcast crew. You know, we we we feature them all the time on say what we talked about Katie Wenji and Chris Marlow and Dempsey there but can it wasn't great. Yeah, but let's let's Scott Hastings. Well, let's get them some cameras or some lighting or some some proper mic. I think we got better mics than they do. But so that was that was a little weird. But anyways, that's that's not going to happen. We will get into the actual broadcasters who will be broadcasting the games when they actually start. These are just scrimmages and we are just extremely pumped to watch it. I'd say one little thing I'd like is that the camera And I'm not sure if it's fixed like the main camera, if it can't be moved in, but it was. It was a little bit more zoomed out, and it was like, you know, I was like, am I getting old him? In the last three months? Have my eyes gotten bad? Because I couldn't see make out the players like I used to like it. I don't know if that's something where the camera has to be fixed. But anyways, let's get to the freaking basketball. You mentioned the Nuggets. They started a monstrous lineup, But the guy who stole the show was Bull Bull the Nuggets seven to two player. Not even gonna call him a center because he's playing point guard. He's a player, second round pick this past draft, hadn't played in a game handling, shooting, do it at all sixteen ten with six blocks. So Lee, he had you clipping scrimmages and posting in the so up or down on ball ball being Rookie of the Year next season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, so this is an interesting one. I saw John Schuman tweet something about it that these games when they actually start won't count towards anything as far as voting for this season's awards. So in that sense ball Ball, even if he plays, he won't necessarily be counted as a rookie this season. He can play next season. I think that's what Johnathan looks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And honestly, if he plays the Wizards eighty two games next season, then he is a luck for Rookie of the Year. But I mean, obviously, like, look, the Wizards are shorthanded as they are not a good defensive team. But what I saw from Bob Bowl yesterday was so much fun and so enjoyable because he's more than just you know, like a token guy going out there just to give him some minutes because his dad played in the NBA. He played really well. He handled the ball incredibly well. I thought a couple of times past it hit a pull up three, splashed another one there from the corner, was blocking shots, was running the lane, had a nice soft touch around the rim. So he's a very talented big man. Things are obviously going to be different when he goes up against a harder competition, you know, because again the Wizards are one of the worst defensive teams and they didn't really have anyone out there to contend with him. But I just was very, very impressed with what I saw. He said after the game. I wasn't shocked by my performance because I've been working hard. Obviously, he missed most of this season because of a foot injury. He's recovered from that, and he's really been working on all facets of his game. So who knows. Who knows if he can keep that up during a season. I think it's probably unlikely, But the Mike Malone said, we wanted to put him in positions where he could be effective, and you know, when you've got those long arms, you know he can contest and block shots. And then if he can do that stuff. At the other other end of the floor, he's going to be an impactful player. So I would love to see him have a rookie season where he could win the award and you know, show that yesterday's game wasn't just sort of a fluke or a summer league type performance.
Speaker 3: Definitely feels like a September call up in baseball, you know, Shane Spencer mashing teeters for the New York Yankees. Then he's able to come back and try and win the Rookie of the Year the next year.
Speaker 4: It didn't happen.
Speaker 3: Hopefully it does happen for ball ball because watching him, that's how you knew the NBA was back.
Speaker 4: Because I don't know a half.
Speaker 3: Of a twenty you know, twenty minute half of a scrimmage people are saying, oh man, if the Nuggets are getting this from ball ball, they are a serious title contender. We saw the guy play twenty minutes in a scrimmage game after three and a half months off. But the NBA is back because the NBA is ready for Bull Bull, the ultimate two name guy. You're never gonna hear him called Bull ever ever, He's gonna be Bull Bull one percent of the time, but Stretch five is the most enticing unicorn that is out there as a basketball player. You know, Bull Bull was a top ten recruit in high school, so the talent is there. But when you see somebody, uh that's seven foot two that can handle the ball, can block shots and stroke threes, You're like, no, wonder people love this kind of player. It's a player you would make in a video game. If they're ever able to actually translate that to a consistent success.
Speaker 4: In the NBA.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like white people get so excited about Kristaps porzingis a seven foot four guy who can shoot threes.
Speaker 4: It's the same sort of thing.
Speaker 3: So yeah, if if you've got that kind of length and you actually have ball skills, people get jacked.
Speaker 5: He's he's the real one name, two name guy.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 5: Is it actually a two name, one name guy. I'm not sure, but uh yeah, it's no. One just says ball, It's bull ball every time, every time he touches the bolt.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's enticing just to watch him play with Nikoli Jokic too, who's another giant and can pass, and so Jokic is just fun to watch period. And you know, I was pumped last week when there was a highlight of them in practice and Jokic drives the lane and finds Bull Bull and Bull Bull is like a foot and a half above the rim and does a thrunk because he's he's enormous. But yeah, we're obviously getting a little ahead of ourselves and getting a little pumped for Bull Bull's future. And when you see a guy bring it up and standard Washington Wizards defense just lay off him, and yeah, he strokes a three, and yeah, we're getting excited for two threes. He was also two for eight run from three point land.
Speaker 5: But that pull out, that pull up a little heavy. That was beautiful to watch it. And there was a couple of times where he picked up the defensive reband and he ran very comfortably with the bull in his hands there, you know, just like make a moves and that that one sort of almost like a football pass. I think it was too Yeah, who was that too? I can't remember who what the player was to, but he got it over his shoulder and threw it. I mean it was like he's he's a skillful guy. You know, he's got uh, you know, he's got some talent.
Speaker 1: And that's why they could start three near seven footers yesterday it was yeah, it was Jeremy Grant and Paul Millsap were the small guys at six eight sixty nine or whatever they are, and then three near seven footers and Bull Bull. After the game, apparently, according to Brendan Vote of the Denver dot Com, he was selected for a random drunk drug test by the NBA. I'm sure Nuggets Twitter will have fun with that, because yeah, and one thing about I guess about the Nuggets is that they sort of brought Michael Porter Junior along slowly. Bull Bull had an injury this year, but it seems like they kind of keep guys in the just the development wheel until they're needed. And they traded it, you know, a couple other guys in Michael Beasley, hurt Leak Beasley, I should say not Michael Beasley, that's another guy, and Jancho Hernan Gomez. They got some guys deep on the bench. And so I don't know if Paul Millsap is gonna be there next year as a free agent, but anyway, that's that's something for next year when Bull Bull could be rookie of the year. I guess Courtney John Schuman. We're gonna blame John Shuman if he's not eligible next year. Okay, next topic, and it's bull bull related. He's stuck a weggie. Leelis clipped it and put it up on the internet. So up or down on counting scrimmage weggie? He's toward our regular season total, which is at thirty six right now, JD, what do you think should we count him?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I'm way up on this weggie, although maybe it's because I'm so starved. I'm looking at Lee's Twitter his tweet right now. I mean, it's a beautiful weggie. They couldn't let it breathe a little longer?
Speaker 1: Did we did?
Speaker 2: Cut to the camera that was getting the close up of it, and then it gets knocked out by one of the Wizards player. I really see who it is. But yeah, I mean it's it's a beautiful wedgie. But counting them during scrimmage. As I've said before on the show, I am a serial rules follower. We have to we can't count it. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Come on, JD.
Speaker 3: These are unprecedented times and calls for unusual counting.
Speaker 2: Listen yeah, for sure, there's already gonna be an asterix on everything. We can't we we can't go crazy here, So scrimmage weggies are not acceptable.
Speaker 5: Well because yesterday again ball ball was the big story. But Nikola Jokic gave us a classic dwinker to Wish Smith, who went and scored a layup at the other end. I saw two very solid plays. I counted them. Now.
Speaker 2: I mean, you can't count on man, you can't count scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Come on now, somebody, somebody even tweeted me a highlight that wasn't That's how people, That's how the stars people were for basketball. So JD says, no tray. It sounds like, come on, you want we need to count them.
Speaker 3: I would like to count it, but honestly, JD has talked me into it. We need to have some integrity here. JD is one hundred percent right. There's gonna be an asterisk on the season. We can't have an asterisk on our weggy count.
Speaker 4: Especially.
Speaker 3: I mean we saw one in the first you know hour of the restart. Does that mean many more are gonna be coming? We don't want to jump the gun here counting these scrimmage wedgies if they're just gonna keep coming during the seeding games anyways.
Speaker 5: Oh man, if we end up on forty nine at this season at the end, I'm coming back.
Speaker 4: That'll be a retroactive countant exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna appeal that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we generally we don't count preseason weggies, so this feels like a preseason game. Doc Rivers said, we should call these preseason games. But yeah, we have one in just four games yesterday. Yeah, the pace is hot, so yeah, sitting at thirty six right now, we shall see where we get to with another. You know, if if the NBA plays it out, it's another one hundred and sixty hundred and seventy games that we're going to see through through the season, So we could have seventy for all we know. All right, Next one, TNT has announced their broadcast teams. We know their crews for the regular season games aka the seating games. There will be two pairs, Kevin Harlan and Reggie Miller, Iron Eagle and the great stand Van Gun. These are really great duos. Don't know how you can go down. I can't wait to hear your answer early. So these are the TNT guys. Rotating sideline reporters for these games will be Stephanie Ready, Jared Greenberg, and Chris Haynes. This doesn't include the NBA, TV, ESPN or ABC games, which will also be broadcasting these regular season seating games. So upper down Lee on the tn T teams in Orlando, of.
Speaker 5: Course, I'm up there. I mean, certainly, those play by play guys are two of the best in the business. Kevin Harland is fantastic. I mean he's got such great energy. And Iron Eagle as well, and Iron Eagle talking about weggies. You know, Iron Eagle is gonna highlight the weggie. He's not gonna let that one slide. And then the color commentators there, Reggie and stand a Gun. I mean, Reggie gets a bad rap. But I think Reggie's fine. And you know, I think he's been doing this for so long now. That's one of those things. It's like once you've been around for a long time, people just start to turn on you. But you know, he's great. I think he's fine. And of course stan Van Gundy, I mean he is just on Twitter right now, on fire, so I hope he brings the same sort of energy to his broadcast here because he's not holding back, and that's great. Stan's always been funny, he's always been clever, and now we get to see him in this environ I know he's done a little bit of it there for ESPN in the past, but I'm looking forward to hearing Stan and Iron, so a couple of good combinations there. Obviously, Marv Albert was considered high risk for the bubble given his age, and that's why he's not out there. But yeah, anytime you can listen to Kevin Harland, it's exciting because he brings a real good element to the game. And you know, we've seen it in the past when it was at the Squirrel on the football field that night was it that he started calling it? So you know, if there's some sort of extra curricular activity, it's not going to go Kevin Holland, He's going to try to include it in the broadcast. So I'm big up on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm up as well. You touched on it Lee with the play by play guys. The enthusiasm that Harlan and Eagle have, I think that's true of Reggie and Stan Van Gundy as well. All four of these guys are huge NBA fans, and you can tell it when they are broadcasting, when they're talking, they just they just have a passion for the game and talking about it. And I think in a pretty quiet arena in you know, a time of the year when we're not used to basketball, having people who are really excited to be there talking about it is going to be big.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I understand you. Just just when you said that, the excitement of the broadcaster made me think of Noah Eagle, who is Iron Eagle's son, who's the radio play by play guy of the Clippers, and people were sort of criticizing him yesterday because he was calling the TV game like he was calling the game on radio, and he may if that may have been broadcast on radio, I'm not sure, but people are saying it could have been. But but he the way you broadcast on radio is that you you don't allow now basically a second of airtime of just dead air. And so he was, you know, he was fired. He would not stop chatting, and people were criticizing that the guy was excited. And I think I think, like you said, Trey, that's the number one job of Kevin Harlan and Iron Eagle, especially as the play by play guys, and they'll kill it. They'll they'll be great down there. I just I saw this note on Reddit, and I'm confused. I'm just not sure. Has Kevin Harlan never done a conference finals game? Because that's Marv's Wow?
Speaker 5: Because yeah, that's probably right, because Marv has been the sort of number one guy for for a long time. So yeah, and and and they split the East and the West between ESPN and T and T. So yeah, very possible that Kevin's never done one before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'd assume that this would be his first because it doesn't seem like Marv is going to be there at all. No, Yeah, I'm not sure if they change in the in the postseason, but yeah, those guys, those guys would be calling games. And has stan Van said he he's got to make his trip from his home forty five minutes away from the bubble into the bubble and he'll be staying there. So, like you said, Lee on Fire on Twitter, Stam Van Gundy, and I'm sure he'll be bringing in there. I'm sure we'll see lots of photos of his food. Can't wait, all right? A lots more to get to, including the Hawks jerseys, Alex Caruso missing his sister's wedding, and fishing, of course, But first award from our sponsors.
Speaker 5: It's time to grab your peanuts and popcorn because baseball is back.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 5: The boys will be getting back out on the diamond this week. In fact, they're already out, and I think I saw someone sending a dinger over the Green Monster yesterday. And while we may not be able to join them at the park, there is plenty of action to be had from the comfort of your home. DraftKings, the leader in one day fantasy sports, is putting you on the field with a shot to play risk free for a shot at hundreds of thousands of bucks. If you haven't tried it yet, fantasy baseball is easy to play. Just pick ten players, stay under the salary ca app and pile up the points for our hits, runs, strikeouts.
Speaker 2: And more.
Speaker 5: There's no better way to put your baseboard knowledge to the test than to compete for a shot at hundreds of thousands of dollars. But if baseball isn't for you, don't worry. DraftKings is offering plenty of fantasy golf Action for this weekend's tournament. You could be your own regular Cam Stewart. He's got it all covered. With millions of dollars up for grabs this week, there is no better place to have skin in the game than with DraftKings. Download the DraftKings app now and use promo code run to get a free shot at a share of millions of dollars up for grabs this week with your first deposit. That's promo code run run to get a free shot at your share of millions of dollars with your first apot deposit only at DraftKings. Minimum five dollars deposit required. Eligibility restrictions apply. See DraftKings dot com for details.
Speaker 3: Lea, put your baseball null to the test. Who's your daily Fantasy pick on Opening Night?
Speaker 5: I'm going with Aaron Judge.
Speaker 4: Great call, great call.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What's happening with the Blue Jays?
Speaker 5: Do we know that? Is that confirmed they're going to Pittsburgh?
Speaker 1: Or no? No? No, they got declined? Really? Yeah, the state of Pennsylvania decided it's not in our interest to have you down here. It's not in our not good for the sake of the state or the health of the state. I didn't. I didn't really read into the reasoning, but they said, no, we can have one team, but two teams is too many.
Speaker 4: So what are they gonna do?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, I guess they have the Phillies too, so that would be three teams. But they looks like they're gonna be playing in every other team's stadium and just traveling around and calling it the home game when they're there. But that's what it looks like right now. But they still they still don't know, and they're six days away from their quote unquote home game, but they're yeah, they're not. It doesn't look like they're gonna have a home base at this point, which is which is nuts.
Speaker 3: So maybe give Bo Bashett a pass on your daily fantasy team to start. But just this week on this very podcast, I heard something that sent chills down my spine. Quote whoever has the sexiest bush gets the play center on the No Dunks team.
Speaker 4: I was shook.
Speaker 3: As the tallest of US five, I thought I had that spot locked up.
Speaker 4: My ball skills are good. I can sometimes.
Speaker 3: Shoot, pass, and dribble, but there's no doubt I'm best close to the basket.
Speaker 4: So that's why I reached for the Manscaped Lawnmower three point zero.
Speaker 3: Because Manscaped is dedicated to helping you level up your full body grooming game and regain your starting center spot. The Lawnmower three point zero is the best trimmer on the market. It's waterproof and cordless, and it's perfect for your chest, your bush, or anything in between like your treasure trail. This third generation trimmer features skin safe technology to reduce manscaping accidents, and you can also adjust settings to get a length you like. The Lawnmower three point zero is part of the Perfect Package three point zero kit, which also comes with a ton of liquid formations to round out your manscaping routine get you back in the starting lineup.
Speaker 4: If you subscribe to the.
Speaker 3: Perfect Package, you'll get a new blade refill for your lawnmower trimmer delivered to your door every three months, so you can keep your spot right now. You can get twenty percent off and free shipping by using the code the Athletic twenty at manscaped dot com. That's twenty percent off with free shipping at manscape dot com when you use code the Athletic twenty for a limited time subscribers get not one but two free gifts, the Shed travel bag, which is a thirty nine dollars value, and the patented high performance anti chafing Manscaped boxer briefs. Go to manscape dot com today and use code the Athletic twenty.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Bush's trade, I saw you mentioned Fox's hair. He's Bush per se. But Rick Fox, who we know is a very well kept man, just letting it fly with that haird It was wild to see him. Then you called him basically you two point zero.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got the perfect Trey Kirby two point oh.
Speaker 3: Going on, Rick Fox looks great, literally a silver fox at this point.
Speaker 5: Yeah. You do you think he's that badly groomed down below as well? Do you think he's let it all go?
Speaker 4: I don't think about it really.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe we should send him out a sample from manskeit so he can beat himself Toddy down there.
Speaker 1: There we go, Here we go. You probably don't think of that trade, but I'm sure you think of this. Back to the show Hawks jerseys. As a resident jersey expert, I'm sure you love these new home road and alternate jerseys that they've released for next year. Didn't see this coming. In July, they're telling us about their beauty jerseys. Got a little bit of throwback vibe. So let us know Trey up or down Hawks jerseys for next season.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's an easy up. You guessed that, Tassi. They came back with the classic Hawks colors. You know, they have names for him now, but it's red, yellow, and black, a little white thrown in there as well. And I think they look incredible. You know, they kind of hit the sweet spot of what a jersey should look like right now, where it's a little bit retro, but it's also.
Speaker 4: Updated for twenty twenty. You know.
Speaker 3: The Bucks kind of similar, the Jazz kind of similar, where you're drawing on heritage from your team from the past, but you're making it look like something that a team would be wearing today.
Speaker 4: I really liked them.
Speaker 3: I really like the black ones in particular, and I liked seeing a little Michael Jordan's sign on every single statement uniform that we're gonna get during the NBA this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was interesting, Lee, What do you think of got some beauty home whites, some standard red away jerseys, and the black one, the statement one that trade just mentioned what do you think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, they're all great. They're all great. Great job dad boy the hooks, because their last couple of uniforms have certainly been interesting, to say the least. You know, that sort of sort of soccer one they had they rocked a couple of years ago wasn't the greatest. But I think this time they've actually got it right, keeping it simpler, you know, a bit of a as you mentioned, they're trade sort of you know, a nod to the past, but keeping sort of things modern as well. They just look cool. It was just, yeah, it was an interesting sort of time to release them, I thought, with other things sort of on the mind of basketball fans yesterday, but they still got some good traction, got some good traffic, so it was great. Yeah, looking forward to seeing them out on the court.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are badass. I like them a lot. Like you said, the sort of a balance of what a jersey should look like, a little bit of old school vibes, but also you know, simple and enough colors to keep it sort of new age. I guess if that makes sense in the Jersey world, I don't know. I don't know jerseys speak, but all I know is they look like Calgary Flames jerseys. Yeah, it reminds me those those tho the reds and yellows. But they are they're gorgeous. Yeah, I think they're awesome. And to see that. Yeah, the Jumpman logo on all thirty teams statement jerseys, so they're alternate jerseys on both the jersey and the shorts. Yeah, that's it makes you know, the Jumpman logo just makes everything look a touch cool, like thirty percent cooler. But it's not all over everything. It's just sort of it's there, but it's not like crazy prominent or overtaking the jersey or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Around the names were incredible to see it Michael Jordan dunking on the Pistons yea thirty something years later.
Speaker 4: It was really exciting.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, the only thing that I'm down on is that I've been saving a tray young Peachtree jersey for Ila for I don't know, about four months now, and it's already obsolete. You know, it's already to be retired. So I guess I'll just have to slip it into the drawer somehow.
Speaker 1: Are they changing the statement jerseys every year? I thought that was the case, but I'm not sure, Like, are they coming out with a new statements again the alternate jersey every season?
Speaker 3: I thought that was the case, but maybe I think I think you're right that was the case. I think at most they can wear them like two straight seasons, like the Jazz with their their Grady and jerseys. I think they asked for a second year to be able to wear them, so I think it's two tops. So I don't know, get that, get that black Hawks one now before it's off the shelves.
Speaker 1: And JD, did you see these? Can we get an opinion from you? Statement? I am.
Speaker 2: I think I'm actually gonna get a statement jersey or at least a suersey. I think they're badass, they look great.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, I have we know our man Larry Luke is getting them, no doubt. I got a text from your boy Brian, our good friend in Toronto and incredible DJ in Toronto telling me he wants one. He's like, yeah, you're getting one for me and sending it to me. I'll send you the money, no problem. I think it was the black one he wanted. But I'm more partial to the Home in the ways. I mean, they're all great. I don't know, I don't know which one I like more. Al Right, this one interesting story of the Lakers. Alex Caruso fan favorite. He skipped his sister's wedding to stay in the bubble. This story from Zach Lowe on ESPN. Caruso's sister got married on July eighteenth outside of Austin, Texas, a wedding of about one hundred people, and Caruso was already in the in the bubble for the Lakers and said his concern about bringing the virus back to the bubble and an extended quarantine period which you may have led into the regular season games. Also, he just wants to focus on the title led him to staying in the bubble. So Caruso skipping his sister's wedding up or down? JD Way up.
Speaker 2: You made the right decision, Alex. I remember we spoke to Yeshua back in March. He had a Star Wars themed wedding right when the coronavirus was was hitting Georgia. The infection numbers were relative low, They had a sparse affair, they were social distancing, people were wearing masks. But I think Yeshaa mentioned that his grandma or his mom couldn't resist. She went in for a hug and a kiss. You know, it's a wedding. You know, you can't you can't blame him. But you know, Texas right now, the numbers are exploding Austin. To be fair, it seems to have flattened out and maybe going down. But still Alex was saying that he was he watched the thing after the fact and he said about twenty five percent of people weren't wearing masks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know when he saw it.
Speaker 2: You know, you never know what exactly exactly the ceremony was outside, but the reception was inside. Megan, what are we doing here? And Caruso would have definitely been quarantined for ten, probably fourteen days when he got back and uh yeah he and as he says, he didn't want to be the one to bring coronavirus back in. It could have it could have if he had had a four day say they let him to have a four day quarantine, he could have infected his entire team, which would have been a disaster. So and I love the part where he, uh, where he talked about he was looking for a safe house to crash in uh, before heading back to the Florida. To Florida, he would have he would have gone to the wedding, skipped the reception, found a safe house, he called it. If you're planning to find a safe house, that scheme has now become a kakamami one, you know what I mean, Like, it's just it's.
Speaker 4: Too crazy when things are going sideways.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So he made the right decision. And also after speaking to Bengalery yesterday, the best place you could possibly be in the United States is inside the NBA bubble right now. It seems to be the safest place. It's the most fun place on earth. People are playing what is it, slam ball or spikeball. Sorry, we got swimming, we got fishing, we got settlers of Catan, We've got unlimited beers to shotgun, we got pick a ball. And you are going to be able to go to every single game of the NBA Playoffs, including the finals. Has that ever happening this? I'm sure this has come up before, but it just occurred to me this morning. It's like Ben Gulliver is going to be able to see literally every single playoff game that has never happened right, amazing.
Speaker 1: It's insane.
Speaker 2: So even I'd be into it, ninety four days would be nothing for me at this point.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing, especially because it's not like you're flying around from city to city, coast to coast or anything like that. It's like you just wake up and you're going to the office and it's happens to be just NBA playoffs. So yeah, it's going to be an incredible experience for it, because you know, that's That's the thing like a lot of people complain about after the playoffs is like, oh man, because you're just traveling around so much different how hortails and airports and time zones. That's not going to be a problem this time now.
Speaker 2: And you got your permanent Legos setup that you can come home to every night. That's that's there for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jimmy Goldstein must be begging to get in there. I don't have to travel. I can see every freaking playoff game. It's a good point, Jady Trey, what do you think.
Speaker 3: I mean this was an easy choice safety wise. I'm sure it was a hard choice for Alex Cruso to actually miss his sister's wedding. Surely it was planned months and months in advance, you know, but he doesn't want to be the one to bring it back to the bubble.
Speaker 4: And that's understandable.
Speaker 3: You know, Rudy Gobert is known as the first guy to get coronavirus in the NBA, despite the fact that he might not have been the first guy to have coronavirus in the NBA. If you're the player that leaves you come back, somebody gets sick, you're going to get blamed for it. It did seem like possibility, possibility to find out a way to get the vaccine, because if Alex Caruso is able to go to Florida and Texas and somehow not get infected, just take his blood and give it to everybody, because maybe he's got the antibodies that we need. I don't know what it is, but he made the right decision. It's a bummer, but you know, I guess you can FaceTime into a wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's I love the line that he used about Florida and Texas for I mean, it seemed like out of nowhere, like nothing really motivated. But he's like, you know, they're having a wedding, it's in Texas. People in like Texas and Florida. It's like it's like they're in their own country doing whatever the heck they want. And so, yeah, that's what happened, but it's true, like it's July. We talked to one of our fans, as JD said, who had a wedding in March, which was basically a week after everything sort of happened in the US where everything started to be shut down and they went from like one hundred and sixty people at their wedding to forty to fifty people at their wedding. My man Ryan Setton was supposed to have his wedding in September. He's putting it off until next year. It would just seem to make sense to just put it off because wouldn't it be a lot more fun next year when Grandma can come up to you and give you a huge smooch and not think twice about it? Lee, What do you think?
Speaker 5: Well, that's if things do get back up and running that quickly. I mean you postponed for a year, you might have to postpone at another year's time as well. I mean, who knows how things are going to go. But Yeah, unfortunately, during this situation, those are the sorts of things that people just have to kind of miss out on. You know, you're hearing because it big gatherings, especially when it's such an affectionate, emotional moment. There's lots of hugging, there's lots of kissing, there's lots of dancing, and you know, people are so close to each other, very intimate. So those are the things that are a big no no right now, and unfortunately, you know, you have to just avoid them. It's tough when it's you know, your sibling. I'm sure I missed one of my brother's weddings because I was living on the other side of the world and had an eight month old at the time. So it was a little tough and it sucks, you know when you know they're getting married and everyone's having a good time. But yeah, unfortunately, that's just the sacrifice that Alex has to make right now because you know, especially the Lakers are short handed in anyway. So if he left and he would fed the quarantine on return again, maybe it maybe would have set them back even further. So not the end of the world, though, I mean, it's a it's a it's an inconvenience, but uh, you know, you'll, you'll, you'll, you'll be okay with it.
Speaker 1: Okay, last topic, and it has to do with sort of something going on in the bubble, but mostly about Trey Kirby's trip this past week. Fishing. Up or down on what players are doing. I don't know if you can call it fishing, but that's what they're doing in the bubble. Trey did this in Illinois last week. So we'll start with you up or down on fishing.
Speaker 3: Way up on fishing. I am hooked, oh on fishing. It's a great socially distanced activity. You're basically not going to be seeing anybody, and if they get within six feet of you, you got a hook on the end of a pole.
Speaker 4: You can stab them and get them away. It's pretty easy.
Speaker 3: But uh yeah, I went back back to Illinois and I grew up fishing. You know, there's a big state park in my hometown. Laura grew up on a lake. We weren't seeing friends, we weren't really doing much, so I had a lot of spare time. So I was able to get up at five in the morning, go down to the lakes, start getting my line wet and then come back, you know, hang out with the family, hang out with the kids, and then once they go to bed, I'm going back to the lake.
Speaker 4: I've seen Lee Ellis's popping packs all summer.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to start my own ig live series ripping lips.
Speaker 1: So when you're catching those fish, because you saw you catch some good size fish, you're throwing those back, or you're just ripping those lips and you're cooking them up, or what's the deal.
Speaker 3: Oh no, it's a little too gross for me, knowing these ponds and seeing these ponds to actually want to put that food inside my mouth.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I take them up.
Speaker 3: I put them next to my head so you can see how big it is, and I throw it right back. Hopefully I can catch it again in a couple of years a little bit bigger.
Speaker 5: What was it?
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 3: I caught a couple of bass, a couple of bluegill, and a river catfish.
Speaker 5: Notice, okay, yeah, yeah, Because well I'm going fishing this weekend myself, sort of Sunday Monday, where I went a couple of weeks ago to Alabama where it was like it's sort of like the NBA bubble there. The pond is just loaded with fish, even though we couldn't pull one in. So I'm up now because I'm positive and hopeful. I'll tell you what, after two or three days of fishing, if I don't catch anything this time, I'm going to be down, and maybe down for good. I might just throw the rods in the water too, because if you can't catch fish in a barrel, then not exactly the greatest fisherman. But I'll definitely be throwing them back for two reasons, because it's the right thing to do. For one, and two, apparently there's a lot of carp in this pond, so you don't want to be eating carp They're pretty gross. They eat all the gross stuff in the lake. So yeah, we'll see. But I'm taking my boys out, and you know, like I say, with kids, if they don't get a bite or some sort of action within the first thirty seconds to a minute, hard to keep them interested and hard to keep their attention because they're just like, what am I doing. I'm just holding a stick here and it's not really working. So we'll see. I'm hopeful and positive right now, though, but yeah, if we don't get any boughts, I might be done with the fishing. Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Ila is an early riser, and like I said, I was getting up early to go fishing. So Laura is like, why don't you just take Ilo with you? Sometimes she likes fishing, and she does. She likes to go out there, but it's a little bit different. You know, when it's five o'clock and it's the last thing of the day and you're just getting to spend a couple hours out there. When you wake up first thing in the morning, when you're a kid, I don't think you want to go stand at the edge of the water and just be as quiet as you possibly can and move as slowly as you can. It lasted ten minutes before she's like, can we do something else? Can we go swimming?
Speaker 4: I'm like, you can. You can definitely do that. I'll walk you right back home.
Speaker 1: JD Are you are you a fishing enthusiast? No.
Speaker 2: I hate fishing boring as hell, which is weird for me because there's nothing I like more than to just sit and do nothing and you know, have a beer. But if you add the fishing pole, I'm just not into it. It's just it turns into a boring activity for me. Also, I feel sorry for the worms. I feel sorry for the fish even throwing them back. I just, uh, it's just boring. One time, when I was a kid, we uh, we went to get frogs. We went hunting for frogs to use as fishing bait. And it was a traumatic experience for me because I was We we caught the frogs, put them in a bucket, took them down to the dock, hooked the frogs because my uncle said, hey, you're gonna you want big fish, get frogs as as as bait. So basically we drowned these frogs hook hooking them through their through their like through their lips. I mean, it was horrible. I had more fun catching the frogs.
Speaker 4: That was fun.
Speaker 2: So I'm down on fishing.
Speaker 1: What what are they using this bait nowadays? Is it just? I mean, you can use like non worms, right, there's gotta.
Speaker 2: Be Yeah, you can use you can use lure is like reflective little things, I guess, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm I'm fishing with lures.
Speaker 4: I just ordered a frog last night, JD. Not a real one, a plastic one.
Speaker 3: Supposedly, the bass are hitting the frogs hard during the summertime. Throw it in the grass maybe slow and twitchy.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. You said, Lee that you don't like the car number one because they gross number one because they're eating the gross stuff off off the bottom of the lake, like the bottom of like like like what like shrimp and nay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they clean up all the all the sort of junk that just sinks to the bottom. It's dirt and it's the it's just all the dead grass and stuff like that. Like they just they're the they're the vacuum cleaners of the of the lake or the pond. They just get all the rubbish and obviously goes into the stomach. And yeah, they're just gross. So I have eaten one once and it was disgusting. So you know, they do a job. They do a job for the environment, but uh not for the dinner plate.
Speaker 1: All right, good stuff, Any last thoughts on fishing. It's important. We got to get them all out right now.
Speaker 3: I'm actually heading out as soon as we're done recording this. Hopefully i'll have something to post a little bit later.
Speaker 4: If not, I forget. I said anything.
Speaker 1: Going fishing now? You're not going fishing now?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, definitely. I am the girl.
Speaker 3: The girls are out hiking, so I got a little time to walk over to a lake and throw a couple of lures in there, frank them around.
Speaker 1: All right, that's a pitch man. All right, good stuff. That's all for the Updown Report. We will be back tomorrow to talk a little bit about some news going on in the NBA and any of the scrimmage action. Today, Kevin Garnett wants to buy the Minnesota Timberwolves. That Clippers are shorthanded, we'll talk about it. You know, if Patrick Beverly and Montrez Harol not being with the team hampers them. There's a lot of injuries going on around the league, so we'll talk about that on Friday. Thanks for joining us today. We will see that you could stay oh every day and that you happy every minute. It's been so long that you're the onna waiting for. It's happened already. It's gonna be grivy.