Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a longer one part of my interview series where I talk with fascinating people about how they spend their time. Today, I'm going to be chatting with Tracy Davidson. Tracy is the co anchor of my local NBC news stations four o'clock and five o'clock news programs. She's won multiple Emmy Awards for her work over the years, and she is a fixture here in our community for her leadership. So Tracy, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Thank you for doing this. So tell our listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, I have been in broadcast journalism for about forty years, and I am grateful that I still love what I do, and I do co anchor the four and five o'clock newscast on the NBC station in Philadelphia. I also, as part of my role there, am the consumer reporter. But my consumer beat is specifically about helping people who run up against challenges with governments or businesses or something that they just can't get resolved themselves. That's when they come to me.
Speaker 1: And I bet that is pretty satisfying to see problems like solved that people like, well wait, if Tracy's on it, I guess I have to make this right now.
Speaker 2: You know, it's very very rewarding. I always say it's sad that sometimes it takes somebody from a television station to call a company to make them do the right thing. But a lot of other times it's just that something has slipped through the crack, somebody made a mistake, and once they get a call from me, they say, well, let's just check this out, and then you know, they find out that the individual is do their their washer and dryer or a refund or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: So it makes for very satisfying television. And I mean part of you know, we're talking about time management on this show, and from being on the air so much over the past forty years, you probably think of time in a very different way than most people do. I wonder if you could talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, my days, I think because of what I do are in fifteen minute increments. Everything that I do is blocked in fifteen minute increments, and I see the value in even two minutes or two and a half minutes, because sometimes we'll have a break that's two and a half minutes in our newscast, and I know that that's actually a lot of time. If I have to double check some facts on a story and do a little research, or I have to text my executive producer and ask a question, I can, I can actually get a lot done in that two and a half minutes. So I value and know the value of time. And you know, it also makes me very aware that it's easy to waste that time that could be put to good use. So yeah, so my schedule is all in fifteen minute blocks, and I know that you move blocks and tiles around. My tiles are fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Fifteen minutes exactly. Well, and you have some routines through your day, I wonder if you could talk a little bit about your morning routine.
Speaker 2: Sure, So my morning routine starts at five o'clock, which is coffee and sort of prayer and meditation time, and then five point thirty starts to do a quick review of emails, just to check on what's happening during the day, because my job is constantly being aware of everything that's happening and what we're covering at the station, so I quickly do that, and then it's whatever the workout is going to be for that morning. If it's going to be walk to the gym and then work out, or it's going to be drive to another gym and do a class. So that usually sort of ramps up between five point thirty and six, and I'm almost always home by seven, and I organize my clothes and get ready during seven to seven eighteen, which is the first segment of the Today Show, so that I see what they have, and then at eighteen it's into the shower and then into close and out the door, and I usually make the eight twenty one or the eight to fifty one, depending on how my day's going.
Speaker 1: A train or train Yeah, okay into the city. Then from here into the city. Yeah, I wonder curious. Do you do anything on the train? Are you just looking out the window or what's the what is your usual? Uh?
Speaker 2: No, that's valuable time. Yes, that's valuable time. And that's why I always look for a seat, even though I always say I sit during my whole day, so I might as well stand. But if I can be on my laptop. That means I can review things that are make my day, my to do list for the day, which I usually make. I can't believe I'm like going through this whole thing in the afternoon before I go get up to the set to get really really ready. Between two forty five and three o'clock, I make my to do list for the following day. But then I sort of review that on the train and say, do I need to add to that. I also when I know I need to slow down a little bit that I'm going too fast, that's when I take a minute and listen to some meditation on the train. But it's always it's never a throwaway because that's valuable time for me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. And I'm curious with you know, doing a show that is then in the afternoon, that's when you are on air and the segments you've been doing are airing. How much of that is done before you get into work that day, and how much is happening that day. I mean, I'm very curious how that is sort of plotted out in terms of filling then the time that you are on air.
Speaker 2: Later almost all is done that day. Yeah, I mean my stories take a little bit longer, and they don't have to run a certain time. But our newscast is all about news of the day, and so what we start talking about at six point thirty in the morning and then plan is our coverage, and then go out and plan and shoot and research that airs that day. So it's constantly being developed over the afternoon. And and in fact, when I go on there at four, while it might have been gathered, much of what I'm about to read at five hasn't even been written yet. So those two and a half minutes or three and a half minutes when we're in a political season, so the commercial breaks are longer, are vital for me to be looking at the copy and the stories and making sure they're right and are they the most updated information. So yeah, so it's all being done right then in real time.
Speaker 1: And a lot of it is, I'm sure changing as it goes on. So you've got to be quick on your feet with what you thought you were talking about.
Speaker 2: Right, the Hogway is about to past xys, It was about to pass it at four to ten, but when the story comes around again at five point twenty, the house may have already passed it. So we're constantly updated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, constantly, updating, absolutely, And for our international listeners, they're like, why is there longer break during ads? Tracy and I are in Pennsylvania, which is a swing state in the US, and so we tend to have a robust market in political ads for this season.
Speaker 2: Right Tracy, we are one of, if not the most important state to the political campaigns right now. And if you need evidence, it's you'll see it in the commercials, You'll see it in billboards, You'll see it by the number of visits that the presidential candidates and the vice presidential candidates the number of visits that they make to Pennsylvania. So yeah, we're a very popular state right now, very very purple.
Speaker 1: Very much. But it makes for an interesting job for Tracy for sure. Well, we're going to take a quick ad break. We'll be back with more with Tracy Davidson. I am back talking with Tracy Davidson about her routines and how she manages her life. Tracy is an anchor on our local NBC station here in Philadelphia. So Tracy, maybe you can talk about what some of your biggest time management challenges are these days.
Speaker 2: Well, So, even though it sounds like I have my mornings planned out if those are always a challenge, especially because for me there's this issue of clothes. I have to wear clothes to go report in, and then I have to take clothes to go on TV in, and so I just have to be very intentional and say that Sundays are my prep days and I have to take a solid half hour if not hour, to lay everything out. Otherwise the dominoes could fall as the as the days go on in the morning. So, yeah, that's I have to make myself do that on Sundays because I realize by Wednesdays if I haven't done that, and I'm scrambling at seven nineteen when I should be in the shower to yeah, to find my clothes and to figure out what I'm wearing and where the shoes are, and so that's definitely, that's definitely a job.
Speaker 1: I was going to say that that seemed I mean, the seven to a seven eighteen timing for somebody who is on air getting ready seemed pretty incredible to me. So I guess I'm glad to hear that it's that it's a little longer than that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well, that's that's the time that I am not in the shower, right, So I'm getting everything ready so I can listen and sort of keep an eye on the Today Show. And then it's seven eight, So really it's not eighteen minutes. It's getting everything ready and then I jump in the shower, so it's more like forty minutes to totally get ready.
Speaker 1: Got cha, gotcha. So what is the difference between something that you would be wearing to report in versus an on camera outfit? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, an on camera outfit would be something that is less comfortable and with heels, and the reporting is very much just street clothes, just something that I would go out in the street and report, go visit somebody's house, and it's just it's just a little bit more laid back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious for on camera thing though, I mean, especially as more and more people spend parts of their life on camera. Any advice you have for people on looking good if you're going to constantly have a camera on.
Speaker 2: You, you know, I no, I guess, you know, I see people here would be My advice is just to be just to look natural, because and I think that it's even gone a little bit more that way, even on air and on our sets. Because I don't know, it just doesn't seem real. Everything that we see on social media these days is not real, and I think people would prefer to see real. We know what you look like, all perfect, but that's only like a sliver of your real life. But somehow then everybody watching it interprets it into oh my gosh, look they always look perfect. I would prefer to tell people everyone looks just okay, you know when they go on camera.
Speaker 1: I would love that, Believe me, I would love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I could show up one day and say, you know, it's the same journalist whether I have all my makeup on and my hair done pretty yeah, or me and a ponytail yeah, and a button down shirt yeah, Because that's.
Speaker 1: Something that you then have to build into your work day before four o'clock as well is hair and makeup too. How much of a time does that tend to take? I assume you're multitasking as it happens, Yes, I.
Speaker 2: Am, Yeah, I usually do it. We have an editorial meeting from two to two twenty and during the editors meeting, I listen.
Speaker 1: And put on my makeup excellent, excellent, yeah, And so in order to be up at five am in the morning. What time are you going to bed? And what does that look like on the other end of your day?
Speaker 2: Nine point thirty is a hard out in fact, in fact, I set my phone alarm to that. So, yeah, I'm constantly I guess because of what I do I can. I'm always back timing. I'm always thinking how much more time do I have until this happens. So by about nine fifteen, I am ready to crawl in bed with a book, even if I read only three pages. That's sort of the be in bed by nine fifteen, that's the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when you come home after the five o'clock segments have aired, are you getting on another train and heading back to the house. What does that look like?
Speaker 2: Yes, So I walk out of the station at six twenty or six ten. I get on the train at six twenty, A husband picks me up up at six fifty. We get home, we eat at seven o'clock. We're pretty routine, and by seven point thirty, I'm either cleaning up the kitchen or walking the dog, or we both clean up the kitchen and we both walk the dog. And so by eight o'clock it's you know, eight to nine is the relaxation time. And if I really need an extra boost, that's my time to do crafts.
Speaker 1: What do you do?
Speaker 2: What kind of frowny one? Oh? Just anything, you know, I make things. I make things with shells. I put candles in deep shells, or I make candles in antique teacups. It's just sort of what fills me up when I'm really drained.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I want to talk about a little tip that you just gave. I'm going to ask you for a few more time management tips for our listeners. But you mentioned you set your alarm for nine thirty to get yourself in bed. What led to that and how is that helpful?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think that we all need I mean, we can all get and if you I know that nobody can see this and we're just seeing each other, but if you could see how many alarms I have set on my phone throughout the day, because because then that allows you to get deeply into whatever you're doing, and then it will remind you if I'm constantly thinking, and this mostly happens at work, but if I'm constantly thinking, oh my gosh, I have a Zoom interview coming up at eleven fifteen, then I can't get deep into the story I'm writing at ten thirty, and so if I set my alarm for eleven ten for an eleven fifteen zoom interview, then I know I can just sort of set it aside and know that that will that will get me, that will get me where I need to go, because otherwise I'm just thinking about I hope I don't miss this, and I hope I don't miss this, and then that makes the time between ten thirty and eleven ten not all that valuable because I can't get deep.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Now, setting alarms to call attention to things is a is a great technique. Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then we will be back with a few more tips from Tracy. Well, I am back talking with Tracy Davidson, who is a co anchor on the local NBC news station in my area in Philadelphia. So, Tracy, I wonder if you can maybe share one more time management tip that helps you with your busy life.
Speaker 2: Well, as you just pointed out, I think setting my alarm really helps. And I also, you know, I just I lay it out, I really know what my day is going to be and can change of course, because I'm in news. But when I have a plan, then I know sort of what the goal is and that that's very helpful to me short term and long term. The day and then the week. I can look out over my week on Sundays and say, all right, this is going to be a night that maybe I pushed past nine thirty because I have to be out at a speaking engagement. And then I know that the next night I got to tuck it back in make and make sure that I give myself some time to recover. So I mean, I think that I'm always looking at long term and short term.
Speaker 1: And you do this weekly planning on Sunday, I mean, as you're right thinking about your weekend then also choosing your outfits, and that's right, all those good things. Yeah, yeah, awesome. Any sort of time on Sunday that tends to happen, or when it's just when it happens.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think that you know, the whole backtime thing starts happening around three o'clock thinking, thinking it's time to start getting into work mode. But around our house, we're very conscious of the of the Sunday scaries, and so we try to make something fun for dinner or just get that ready and then we can relax a little bit.
Speaker 1: Nice. That's good to know. So maybe Chase that you could talk about something. One of our taglines on this show is taking days from great to Awesome. What's something that you've done recently that has taken one of your days from great to awesome? You know?
Speaker 2: You know, working out has always been a priority for me, but I have for the last few years just gone to the gym to just lift weights or just do a class or and years ago, I used to walk for a full hour before I worked out or anything, and so now I've sort of added that back in because it gives me time. It gives me it gives me think time. And I've realized that my thought work, which is critical to all the things I do, whether it's speaking to women's groups or working on a story, any of that requires thought time. And my best thought time is in the morning, and so I've really been taking that time to get up and go for a walk and I and I keep a little notebook with me all the time now so that I write things down, and that has really that's made a huge difference in my life in the last six months.
Speaker 1: Because you have to come up with ideas all the time.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, I mean, well, we hear from people who need our help, so that's helpful. But I'm always thinking about ways to present all the things I talk about resilience and confidence in my speaking world. I'm always thinking about new ways to talk about that, new things that I can learn about, the skills about the science and Yeah, so that's what I'm always thinking about.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they're you know, in your speaking you know, you talk about ways for people to be more resilient. I know you've experienced various challenges in your life too. I mean I wonder if there is sort of I mean, something you can help people think about to tap into that resiliency. I mean, if there is something you're going to advise people like I want to be more resilient. I mean, what is one thing you can do well?
Speaker 2: I think it's just choosing the outlook.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Of all the things, all of the choices that we can have taken away from us, the one choice that we can always make is how we're going to see a given event or a person. It's a choice, and so you can let that person make you crazy or you can say that person is different than I am, and it's okay, and I because you're hurting yourself, you're slowing yourself down right, same thing with the situation. I can see this situation as horrible, Oh my gosh, the world is going to hell in a handbasket. Or I can say, Okay, there are some things that are not great about this world. There are wars, and there are famines, and you know, there are terrible, terrible things, and and there are really good things happening in the world. And I have the ability to change my world right now the people that I interact with right now. I can't solve a war, but I can change the culture in my little office. I can be kind. I can see a stranger on the street and say hello. I have the ability to And that's huge for resilience, to be able to see something and choose to see in a way that is hopeful.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of power in that word. And isn't there.
Speaker 2: That's one of my favorite words, because I think that we we always think that it's or we tend to think that it's one way or the other, and most times with almost everything, it's an and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So Tercy, what are you looking forward to right now?
Speaker 2: Well, I have Lifting your Voice conference that's coming up and it will be in the middle of October, and it's one hundred women coming together talking about resilience, talking about their challenges, talking about confidence, and you know, we all have sort of threads that run through what everyone's lives that connect us, and I'm really looking forward to. One of the subjects we're talking about is transition, because we all go through many transitions throughout our life. We don't really see them because they're many, right, But then when huge transitions come up, a change in job, a change in marital stat as, the loss of a spouse, say, moving to someplace new, a diagnosis, whatever, the transition is all of a sudden, we are thrown for a loop and it's just change, and it's just resilience. And there are steps that you can sort of ease yourself through that with self compassion. And that's one of the things that I'm looking forward to talking to people about because every woman that I come across lately seems to say that they're in a period of transition and they're feeling a little unstable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we're all in transition all the time. Maybe that's the normal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Well, Tracy, this has been fascinating. Maybe you can tell our listeners where they can find you.
Speaker 2: Sure, you can find me at Tracy Davidson dot com. You can find me at Lifting your Voice dot com, and you can find me at Nbcphiladelphia dot com.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Well, Tracy, thank you so much for joining us, and to my listeners, thank you for listening to again one of these longer Before Breakfast episodes. If you have feedback on this, or you know questions you want me to forward to Tracy or other people you'd like to hear from in the future, please let me know. You can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. And in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite show,