Speaker 1: I brought the humidity from Mexico. My gosh, Los Angeles. It was so gross.
Speaker 2: Yesterday I was like humid and there was rain like little spring whirls and yeah, it felt like waking up in uh, like the Midwest somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have so much respect.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say Florida because that's extreme, and that's that is. Florida's its own kind of hell.
Speaker 1: But such just uncomfortable though. It makes you feel like dizzy and like you gotta drink a ton of water. It's it's it's physically uncomfortable to me. You know, you could medically. I felt this in Mexico, like I struggled on my hike and I didn't feel well afterwards for quite some time. So anyways, yet.
Speaker 3: Drink your water.
Speaker 2: I seemed to be okay. I was riding my bike out there yesterday, so I.
Speaker 1: Sho to be okay. I was no. I even the shade, like there wasn't even sun out it was overcast, but I was just sweating profusely. I'm not used to that, not used to it's gross. No, no, no, no, no, well look today you got your dark hair.
Speaker 2: I got on It's because I'm going to do someone else's podcast, so I wanted to look cute. No, actually that is the truth. I'm doing my friend hernandez Is podcast podcast called Ghosted. That's like a fun paranormal and we look at us in our little.
Speaker 1: B Yes I didn't. There was no memo, but we just intuitively no, but we got it anyway. But yeah, I actually like showered and blew out my hair and put a little bit of makeup, very pretty.
Speaker 2: Plus I wanted to like shower and do my hair and all that so that tomorrow I don't have to worry about it and I can just be gross.
Speaker 3: You do you get my mouth slice?
Speaker 1: You want to share more about that? Or is I think I did last time? Didn't I? Did you? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you don't have did you? Just more?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 3: Just more?
Speaker 2: You know, gum grafting surgery. They got to take it from one part of my mouth and sew it onto another. So no fun and uh and no talking, which is the hardest Part's going to be harder than good. That is, I never I fail miserably every time. Everyone in the house is like stop talking, like stop it, stop it.
Speaker 1: It's really hard.
Speaker 3: I have a lot to say and then it can.
Speaker 1: So what did do you write on a piece of paper and like or do you have a whiteboard? How do you communicate with your husband, your kids? And like a text?
Speaker 2: You know vigorous uh, hand gestures, sarades, gesticulating, pointing, waving, you know, big exes.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like like a like.
Speaker 2: A referee in a World Cup game or like you're just like you're playing director. You have flags that I wave if I need something to drink, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Know what you need, uh, hydration brain. You need those flags that rich Carell had in Japan when we were crossing Shibou across right, he was like green, if you agree to start acting, if you see the red stop it, you can give your who little communications.
Speaker 3: Styling out of a van looking like.
Speaker 1: So obvious. I mean we caught.
Speaker 3: We draw attention anywhere we go.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, but in an extremely homogenized type of culture.
Speaker 1: Uh, a group of.
Speaker 2: Like you know, eleven Americans, we stuck out like a sore thumb in cost right in your and we're we're dragging luggage like we can't deal with it.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Like we were obvious that was another very very humid experience, like I can, oh, these these stay in my brain because it's yeah, very very hot. Yeah that's rough anyways, But anyways, how are you, Aby? What's good? I am fully experiencing AB five point zero this new decade of mine. Who a little bit of empty nests?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you've been late twice.
Speaker 1: Hey now, hey, now she's never gonna let it go.
Speaker 2: Last week, So for those of WI that don't, I come screeching in at ten or ten oh one every time to our zoom.
Speaker 1: The last two weeks, I.
Speaker 2: Have joined at ten fifty eight fifty nine, respectively, and AB was not here, and so I am going to make fun of her that now that she's turned fifty, she apparently just doesn't give a shit.
Speaker 1: So yeah, rules don't have affair to you. I was so and I was mortified. I lost track of time last week and suddenly I look, I'm like it was ten o. It wasn ten o three by the time I logged in, and I was modified mortified. That never happens. And then today I was on time, but you were nearly so hey, I was early last week, you were late. So even more there was the differential.
Speaker 2: There was like five minutes, like you went three and the other and I went to any other.
Speaker 1: It's like freaky Friday. We've swapped personalities and.
Speaker 3: Now, don't worry.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna hold I can't keep this up for very long. It's it's like any eighty hdear, we like do something really well for a little while and we're like, I'm so organized, and then.
Speaker 1: The wheels fall off totally. So it'll be fine. But yeah, Felicity's spending most of the summer of your dad's just because she wants to. There's a pool over there. That's great. We live, we don't live far from each other, so I still see her a lot, but I don't have that daily like hey, you left your dishes out, or you're like it's nest, Like it's I gotta get used to it. It's nice, but it's weird. I don't know how to cope. It's lovely.
Speaker 2: Just start leaving your own dirty dishes there, just to make it feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a sink with oatmeal stuck.
Speaker 1: There's a you know, a bold.
Speaker 3: Oatmeal stuck in it in the sink.
Speaker 2: I miss Felicity, you know, I do just dump your all of your laundry in the middle of the room and be like it's like.
Speaker 1: Old old Well. I don't know if I miss those parts of her, but it's nice. Like the kids come over and visit me. They're like, hey, Mom, we just want to come chat, and I'm like what what You're like, what why just to chat like today?
Speaker 2: So like I know, but that's the thing is you're immediately you're like suspicious.
Speaker 1: And then that's my Pavlovian response to mom, mom. We're just like gracing myself, Mom, mommy. But like twenty minutes ago, Tat's like, Mom, Mom, can I come over? And I was like, I'm like, I got a podcast, so you got to make a quick No. He's he needed some adult advice because he's going for a job interview today and he's putting there two weeks at his current job tomorrow, and so he's a little stressed about it. He's got some anxiety. You wanted a little pep talk, and I was just like what do I do? And I'm like, this is having adult children. I don't know. I don't know how to cope with it. This is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, Zoe had went to her college and met with her counselors, got.
Speaker 1: All of her classes, like all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Now she realized she might have to move some things around depending on if she gets this this internship thing.
Speaker 1: But she was like on it. She had all of her stuff.
Speaker 2: She was telling me about her classes, like all of the things that are available to her.
Speaker 1: Like she was on it.
Speaker 2: And I was like, because you know, all summer I've kind of been like, hey, how's are.
Speaker 1: You like registered?
Speaker 2: They haven't got out of the email hasn't come through yet, and that you know, we played that game in high school.
Speaker 1: No, the teacher hasn't grown. Oh yes, they haven't put it in the portal yet.
Speaker 2: They haven't put it in that. They haven't put it in school g yet. So I was suspicious, you know, but I'm not. I gotta step back, like this is okay, all right, You're gonna do it or you're not.
Speaker 3: And damn did she do it for her?
Speaker 2: And then last night talk about nice interactions with the kids. Uh, me and the girls and Zoe's friend Jasmine went out to dinner last night.
Speaker 3: We went to one of those places.
Speaker 2: Where they boiled, like the food boiled in the bag and then you just eat with your hands like a monster like seafood.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, like a crab boil. Okay, yeah, like a like seafood boil. Oh my godlious.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it was really fun and like everyone was lovely and nice and we had fun and they were getting along and like we were talking about.
Speaker 1: Like life, you know what I mean. It was just it was it.
Speaker 2: Was that thing where all of a sudden, you go, oh, okay, okay, we're coming through the other side, and through.
Speaker 1: That there's a light at the end of the tunnel. It's not all just like the transactional parenting thing, like no, it's like, right, we're talking about real world stuff now. It's it's crazy. It's you should it's the mental shift from being a parent to more of a mentor, and which is hard because you got to let them make mistakes. That's been very hard for me is to just let fail. I know, and I'm just wondering, I know, you know, bite your fingers, sit on your hands.
Speaker 3: I did a thing.
Speaker 1: The other day that I I.
Speaker 2: Immediately was like, oh my god, Janice Sweeten, I just pop out of my mouth and I was such no. But it was one of those mom things that your mom says to you that.
Speaker 3: When you're on the receiving end of.
Speaker 1: It, you're like, why would you say that?
Speaker 3: I just so came out and she had been up with her friends, and I was just went.
Speaker 1: Oh, you look tired. I you, she says, I know.
Speaker 2: And I was like immediately, I was like, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Why did I say that? Why did I say that?
Speaker 3: And it was like this stupid yeah, just I just mom did out you know where.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, let me, let me point out.
Speaker 3: Something that's probably bothering you.
Speaker 1: Have you noticed it? I have? Well, And here's the thing. When it's coming from your own mother, it sounds judgmental, But when you're saying it, you're saying it out of concern, like did you get enough sleep last night?
Speaker 2: If somebody else's mom said that to me, I'd be like, yeah, I am kind of do I look at it?
Speaker 3: Am I? You know? But my own mother, I'm like, oh, oh.
Speaker 2: She's judging, always the negative, always right, And I know she was like thanks Mom.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I didn't.
Speaker 1: You did it? Jane? Shit, I did I did. It's not even just a Janis but a real MoMA. You know. Oh, you look like you put but why did you say that? You know.
Speaker 3: You're still single?
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 3: It was that kind of moment.
Speaker 1: So oh love. Yeah, well, that's.
Speaker 2: The thing that I now have to or walking right into their room and not being like, hey, how are you, how's your day, being like oh my god, can you do this laundry, and then just leaving and being like okay, that's yeah, that's that's a hard one.
Speaker 1: That's hard. You gotta bite your tongue. You gotta bite your tongue. Oh man. Navigating adult children is a whole new, whole new universe, and I enjoy it. It's just very strange. I just feel like I'm in a different universe. Yeah all the time. It is definitely it's a little bit of a different universe for sure. But I'm like, yeah, yeah, it's I'm I'm liking it. I'm getting used to it, and I just have to get comfortable with letting them make their own mistakes and a not fixing it for them most importantly, but also not telling them I told you so, like.
Speaker 3: That's hello, that's yeah.
Speaker 1: I know you're like, bite my tongue.
Speaker 2: I have yeah, because I was right.
Speaker 1: I can't say totally. Shall we get into this very important episode, Like one of my chavorites, this is a classic. This is one of those I would say, this is one of those very important episodes. It's a very important.
Speaker 2: Episode, and it is a we we meet a character that is beloved.
Speaker 1: To this day. We ever, yes, so let's oh, let me start the show. I'm all out of sorts. I don't know what I'm doing. It showed up late.
Speaker 2: I don't know how to start the show now. And you can't do you can't even eat your job, and I can't fire you because his agent right.
Speaker 1: Terrible Aby five point zero is still trying to catch up. Welcome back to how Rude tan Rito's I'm Andrea Barber and I'm Jodie Sweetson and I yet again cook.
Speaker 2: A drink while you're saying your name, knowing I don't have time to drink, get and swallow it before I have to say mine.
Speaker 1: But I didn't do it. It's a habit. It's habit because once I way you start talking, I take a drink, and then when I start talking, you take a drink. So maybe it's just like it's a thing, the thing we do. I don't know Anyways, Today, anyway, we are discussing season seven, episode five, Fast Friends. It originally aired October twelfth, nineteen ninety three, and it goes little something like this, Stephanie's new friends pressure her to smoke. Jesse and Joey host a radio show called teen Talk or is it Yackin' with youth? All right, and we have a producer's note here. We have a note from a listener regarding this episode from Amy Rosen. This is what she says, Fast Friends was easily the most impactful episode of television of my youth. I was so scared to use the bathroom at school because of this episode.
Speaker 2: Great, Sorry, I caused some serious like bathroom trauma.
Speaker 1: Well, there's several reasons. Furious pathomy, right. She goes on to say, I was worried that if I went to the bathroom that I would be peer pressured to smoke. Now, looking back, I realize in the twenty tens that kids were no longer smoking cigarettes. However, every time I had to use the bathroom during school, this episode would play in my head like a cautionary tale. I wonder if others had a similar reaction, and no, I thankfully had no health problems by holding it in for years. Okay good. Oh, and she also adds a PostScript, but now saying cigarettes and east good in the accent Stephanie does when she calls into the radio station as older is her favorite vocal stem. So thank you. It all worked out, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I've always been great at accents, what can I say?
Speaker 1: And it's my favorite poor girl, for there was nobody in the bathroom.
Speaker 2: She just was like, if I go in there, they're gonna make me sew like never ventured in once, but that that.
Speaker 3: Was what was going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this was an impactful episode of Amy.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry well that you couldn't use the bath right.
Speaker 2: She's like, and then I developed anxiety and started smoking because of the anxiety because I couldn't use the abumbe.
Speaker 1: She'll send you her bill from her urologists. Don't even worry. Right. So this episode was directed by John Tracy. It was written by Bob sand a name I don't don't. I don't recognize that name. And we have lots of guest stars. We have Darren Bennett as the voice of Randy. We see him again in next season in episode eight. Ten Under the Influence. He plays one of the frat boys. I'm wondering if he's related to Bobby Bennett, which is my everywhere look who appears in the radio stationer. He's primarily a musician and a composer, known for the dark comedy film South of Sanity.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, maybe Bob.
Speaker 1: I mean that would make sense, It would make sense the having of Bennett's in the pass and it struck me as yeah, and so we hear his voice now and then we will see him in an episode a year from now in season eight, so okay. Next, we have Miko Hughes returning as Aaron. We love him so much. We have the fabulous Molly Morgan playing Mickey. Check out our interview with Molly from last October twenty twenty five. She has such an eclectic family history and she has appeared in a gazillion shows such as Days of Our Lives, Boy Meets World, Alien Nation, Big Bang Theory, and we'll see here again in seven fourteen. Is it true about Stephanie. I don't know what that one's about.
Speaker 2: I feel like I remember that. I think it's like Steph's a bad kissers. Oh, somebody starts to rumor about that you've got some great.
Speaker 1: Storyline, like now that you're in junior high, like you've got great yeah story on junior High.
Speaker 3: We get to mine at her all kinds of things ripe.
Speaker 1: And then we have the fabulous, incomparable Marla Sokoloff as Gia Gias. She has arrived. Check out our interview with her from February twenty twenty four, and we have her coming up as a guest again soon. We're very excited to talk to her again now that we are finally in the Gia era. I know now that we're finally in it, and I have like I'm like, Okay, now I've got species. Now our memories are going to be fresh, and I can't wait to talk to her. If I had an entire hour, I still would not be adequately able to cover all of Marla's extensive credits. Most notably, she played Lucy Hatcher in the Practice and Joey's sister Dina Tribiani in Friends. She's also a writer, a director, and an all around awesome human being. Indeed, next we have Diana Theodore. She plays Kelly. She appeared in two episodes of Seinfeld. One episode of Roseanne, also a Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Er. And then we have Marie Cole who is credited as Marie Lynn Wise. In this episode, she plays Lisa, and she appeared in twenty six episodes of the TV series Bust and Loose, and she also appeared in the new Leave It to Beaver and Step by Step Great. We have lots of guest stars. We haven't had guest stars for several episodes, and now it's like we got a ton and we got some great ones too. We start with the teaser. Michelle is in the living room with Comet and the twins. She says to Comment, let's try it one more time, roll over and Comment sits. Michelle asks the boys to show Comment how it's done, and the boys both roll over on the carpet. She offers them a cookie and tells comment see how easy it is. Then Comet rolls over and he gets a cookie too.
Speaker 3: Did she get those cookies out of the same spot?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I think she's feeding everyone the same cookies? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, because I was like at first, I was like, wait, are they eating the dog treats or is the dog eating the kid treats?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go I'm gonna go with the ladder two.
Speaker 1: Uh, but you.
Speaker 3: Know there's a weird man they'll eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm not judge, but yeah, it could be either or Okay. So the twins are loving this idea and they just they along with comment just go back and forth, rolling around on the floor and Michelle shrugs, I'm gonna need more cookies. And is this the first time there hasn't been an adult actor in a teaser. It's like Michelle's carrying this whole teaser. I'm very impressed with that. We've ever had one with just the mind the little kids on the show, like, that's a that's a tall order, So very impressed.
Speaker 2: Well, i mean we leave them alone all the time, so wonder we eventually we got to catch this is overdue.
Speaker 1: They need to carry an entire teaser by themselves. You know.
Speaker 4: Hi, it's Jenny Garth, hosts of the I Choose Me podcast. This week Monica Lewinsky. Yes, that Monica, the one the world tore apart. She's still standing, She's back and done hiding.
Speaker 1: It really felt like it was one of those situations where you literally do or die.
Speaker 4: Monica stared down shame and came out the other side. And she is here to change what you thought you knew.
Speaker 1: And it's sort of not over until we try it.
Speaker 4: A conversation that will inspire you to choose yourself starting today. Listen to I Choose Me on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Next, in the kitchen, Danny is making breakfast and Jesse and Michelle are at the table eating breakfast. Michelle asks Uncle Jesse if he's going to eat the sausage that he is currently bringing right up to his mouth, and he pauses and says, no, I was just cooling it off for you, and he blows on it and gives it to Michelle. Why do you give it to her? Eve Been like, yep, you know what I mean, man, she can she needs, she can give a guilt trip just with her eyes like she is just you know, it's I guess she's moved on to savory foods though it's not like a pancake or something.
Speaker 3: She's going for the sauce.
Speaker 1: She said, so much cake. She's like, give me some protein, Uncle Jesse. She's like, give me some Yeah, yeah, I'll take something, So she's a varied diet here. So meanwhile, Danny asks Stephanie why she's not ready for school. Stephanie has a big problem. She can't decide what to wear. She says, do I go post preppy chic or neo retro grunge? And she holds up the different How.
Speaker 2: I remember saying neo retro grunge because I think I screwed it up a couple of times because it's a lot of retro like front of the mouth, sort of a lot of complication. I kept saying like neo retro mom, like it just did it come out right? But I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I remember that line, and I was a nice just jogged a memory of a complix Yeah yeah, mumbling something up.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Danny remembers when he started junior high, he wore his father's shirts and his brother's pants. Jesse suggested it might be time to give them back to them, which was a great comeback. Danny thinks steph will look cool no matter what she wears, but she disagrees. It's been two weeks of junior high. She doesn't know anyone, and no one knows her. Her homeroom teacher calls her girl in the back who grinds her teeth.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was pressy, but I was like, really stuff, She's pretty solid. Seemed like the kind that can Yeah, she doesn't seem like the kind of person that would have or be able to make them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this kind of should have been a week. But it's also but middle school is that like?
Speaker 2: And and she does say, like, all my friends went the redistrict tea.
Speaker 1: I think it's the shock everybody. I remember that to you. Everybody gets split up and goes to different schools, and it's like it's very discombobulating. Yes, so Danny reassures her that with time she'll make new friends. But Steph isn't so sure. I hate redistricting. Why did I get stuck at DiMaggio which I don't know anybody? I mean, remember there's van Adda Junior High which is named after our producer Don Vanada. Did we have a producer named Demago or is this just a Joe Demagh?
Speaker 2: They're going, yeah, all right, yeah, I don't know if he was from San Francisco.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not good at the sports or the writer. Bob sand maybe just really liked that really player. I don't know. All of her friends have scattered around town with all three Jennifers at different schools and mill Michelle suggests, maybe you'll meet a new Jennifer.
Speaker 2: It was the early nineties. Chances are there were fifteen of them.
Speaker 1: That was legitimately such a popular name in.
Speaker 3: The nut Jennifer, Stephanie, Rachel.
Speaker 1: Yes, Rachel's so true, but stuff thinks that they just don't understand. Junior High is about clicks, jocks with jocks, brains with brains, and that leaves two hall monitors and Lester Herbeck, the six year old genius who plays the harp.
Speaker 3: This was the probably owns a tech company in San Francis.
Speaker 1: Accuracy of this, accuracy of this description is just so perfect. Just and Danny encourage her to just be cool, not push so hard, and don't let them smell your fear. Yeah, Michelle agrees, wear a lot of perfume. Stephanie leaves to get ready for school and says, I'll send you a postcard from dorkvilm. Next, we are in the bathroom at DiMaggio Junior High. Oh my gosh. Set. This set was great with like the little graffiti on the walls and the toilet paper.
Speaker 2: I could smell the school bathroom of it, know, the mustiness smell of like must erin because it's an old room, and and like bleak and some sort of industrial cleaner and.
Speaker 3: Like and and and.
Speaker 1: Uh, spit ball stuck to this. That's exactly it. It's like there's never any like proper air ventilation in these bathroom It's like there's.
Speaker 2: Never a window, no, no, And I literally can I can smell that smell right now. And I don't even know what to describe it as other than a middle like a like a school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like the water kind of smells like sulfur. It's just like this. Yeah, it's awful. So Stephanie's in the bathroom trying to dry her hands, but there are no paper towels. She tries the hand dryer and that is broken, so she pulls out a roll of toilet paper to dry her hands.
Speaker 5: Terrible the toilet paper to dry, especially not at a school.
Speaker 2: And it's gonna it's made out of out of baby's breath, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, Like it would be if your hands are wet. It's just gonna descend it. It's so ineffective. And the Yeah, Steph, wipe.
Speaker 3: Your hands on your pants, call it a day. The way that you're wearing black jeans, you're gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: The way that you're like getting caught up at the physical comedy here, where you're like spinning around and getting caught up and your feet are caught it's just like ohack peak junior high. I love Steph. Oh so Mickey, an older girl, enters the bathroom and says, you're in sixth grade, right? And uh it says Michelle answers, But Stephanie answers, how can you tell? Can you smell my fear? And Mickey replies, no, your books are covered. Mickey shows Stephanie the trick to make the hand dryer work. You have to twist it like a combination lock and then pound it and it starts working. Mickey takes Stephanie under her wing and decides to show her around school. All right, Okay, I like this Mickey girl. She's you know, she's got a little lemon edge to her, but.
Speaker 2: She's been this nice little beginning of Steph's like Steph. You know, Steph has a little fun. She she goes for not the goodie too.
Speaker 1: You've been waiting since Harry Takayama for a good friend and like it is overdue.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, Mickey's going to disappear in like two episodes. Wow, yeah, yeah, Steph doesn't.
Speaker 1: We could do a whole like psychological analyzation of of Steph and her friendships, but that's okay. Next we move on to the radio station where the Rush Our Renegades are doing a new teen call in advice segment. Jesse and Joey bring in DJ Steve and Kimmy to help answer some calls.
Speaker 3: The only teens in San Francis Yes.
Speaker 1: Jesse and Joey are arguing over what to name this segment teen talk or yakin with youth? Which camp are you in? Team te talk? Yeah, teen talk? This is clear, this is clear, Thank you. I just want to jaction with Yaking means either like there's the goat type animal yak, or it means vomit zack. I mean, it can't mean talking as well.
Speaker 3: But backing means there's too what it means.
Speaker 1: There's too many meanings. And when I think of yak, I think of a sound you make when you've got like a hairball caught in the back of your throat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't make that noise, but I now will think of you every time someone thank you.
Speaker 1: So yep, so Joey thinks that Jesse gets to name everything, including Nikki and Alex. Steve, however, is very excited to be on the radio. He asks if he should do a Darth Vader voice, Luke, I am your father, and then he starts breathing into the microphone, but DJ thinks his regular voice is much sexier. Jesse and Joey continue arguing over the name, improvising theme songs that will go with each of their choices. Finally, they get their first caller, Randy. Randy asks about paying a friend to do his homework. DJ advises him do your own homework, and then there's this funny exchange where Kimmy's like, what friend are you talking about? Right? Right? Love it well. Jesse and Joey step outside to argue about the name of the show. The kids are scrambling to fill a dead air and Steve decides to go back to his Darth Vader voice. It's a wonder of these two have gotten fired.
Speaker 2: I mean, they seem to screw around on the radio more.
Speaker 1: Than they get thinks, I know how they got this job. I kept this job. Like they are just screwing things up all the time. The teens are now running the show. You know, it's they got bigger problems than what to name this segment. Next, we're in the kitchen. Aaron is visiting Michelle. He is hungry, and he hopes that they have better snacks today than that healthy junk they had yesterday. Danny asks, how's it going. Michelle thinks he probably are he knows. Danny promises it won't be forever. They're just watching Aaron until his regular babysitter stops twitching. I would have said, no, just sits out a boundary, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Not available? Sorry I can't.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. There's already nineteen people that live in my house. It's we can't fit in one.
Speaker 1: That's a legitimate excuse. Actually, you know, Petitas, he is no room. So Aaron is scouring for food. He finds no ding dongs, no nutter butters or ho hose in the fridge, and he says, what a joke. None of those are going the fridge. That's true, that's a good point. So pantry f.
Speaker 2: Ding dong cookies hose maybe a ding dong because they're like, but no, it drives them out.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: That's Aaron you're looking's got a lot of.
Speaker 1: Problems, and ho hose ain't one of them. So Danny offers raisins, But Aaron is allergic to raisins. Are you okay?
Speaker 3: Yes, it was just a ridiculous statement that triggered things in my head.
Speaker 1: Okay. So Danny offers raisins and Eric says he's allergic to raisins. They make his lips blow up and then he can't talk. So Danny announces raisins.
Speaker 3: It is sneaking in a cookie.
Speaker 1: Stephan Mickey then walk into the kitchen with Stephanie explaining just how cute this boy from school is. I can smell his gym socks, his locker is so close.
Speaker 3: Oh that would be a that would I've smelled middle schoolers. That would not be an.
Speaker 1: Attractive that's repel you know, yeah, a sixth grade boys. I don't even think some sixth grade girls like jim socks smells. But no, look, nobody's but there's a certain there's a certain smell to the sweat of a prepubescent teen. That is just it can't be replicated in this universe. It's a very distinct special smell yep, where am I?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeh. Danny's thrilled, and he starts talking about how exciting this occasion is and that any friend of Stephanie's is a friend of his. Stephanie stops him, and he says, I can see that my time is up. He asks Mickey if he can get her anything, and she responds, how about a note to get me out of gym tomorrow? But she's kidding. She writes her own notes. Danny is growing concerned. Steph explains that Mickey is in the seventh grade and showed her how to get free donuts from the teacher's lounge. Danny is now even more concerned. Michelle invites the girls upstairs to play. Stephanie loudly responds, Michelle, we're in junior high. Give me a break. Michelle leans in and loudly enough for Mickey to hear, says to Aaron, yesterday no one would even talk.
Speaker 2: To her, just because you get all the friends. Michelle settled down. You get seven friends that come over all the time, the regular yep, yeah, I'm on the rag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me have my friends.
Speaker 1: It's always a younger sibling that's saying the exact thing you don't want your friend to hear. Like that is always classic real sibling. So Stephanie invites Mickey to dinner, but she has to leave because it's her turn to make dinner for herself and Janet. Danny asks, oh, your sister, and she replies, no, my mother, and she leaves. Once Mickey is gone, Danny asks Stephanie about Mickey calling her mom by her first name. Yeah, isn't she cooled? Danny. Stephanie responds, but she can see the look on her dad's face and she quickly adds, Dad, did you ever call I mean, we called Janice Janis now, but did you ever call your mom Janie? I don't think I ever called my mom Sherry like ever.
Speaker 2: Only if I was trying to get her attention somewhere and she wasn't paying, you know what I mean, And it was like that was the only thing, was like, yeah, that's true, especially now and it's now it's Janice Sweeten because it's a full name, you know what I mean, And it's a very specific thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't call her that to her face. Mom, you know mom?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No. I always told my mom mom unless yeah. We were in a crowded place with lots of other kids, saying mom, Mom, right, So then you got a differentiate.
Speaker 3: Mama was reserved strictly for times when I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, mama, Mama, what the moms know the mom's no. Stephanie's dad thinks that Mickey might have a bit of an edge, and Stephanie says, edge, you make her sound like a criminal, but Danny says, no, no, I don't think that. Stephanie is getting bummed. She says, I finally find a friend, and you hate her. Danny promises he doesn't hate her, he just doesn't really know her. Steph accuses Danny of judging her new friend and storms right up the stairs. Poor step and she's like, I don't know if this friend is only good. You never like anybody? Yea, yep, relatable and I do I feel bad for stuff too. She finally gets a friend, She just wants the friend to Danny like, just because you're a square doesn't mean everybody else is. See exactly this is he has a right to be concerned, but just this is not the time to express it. Like, give it some time, Give it some time. Give it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Dancing with the Stars is looking for a new pro and since last season I came in eighth place, I'm basically an.
Speaker 7: Expert easy there. I've spent my entire life in the ballroom, so maybe.
Speaker 1: You could use some help.
Speaker 7: I'm daniel Fisher and I'm Vouchmerkovsky, and we have a.
Speaker 6: New podcast called Stepping on Toes with Danielle and Val.
Speaker 7: Every week we're breaking down Dancing with the Stars the next pro to find out who I'll be sharing the ballroom with next season.
Speaker 6: I'll be asking the questions every fan is thinking, and.
Speaker 7: I'll take you behind the choreography and judging the performances and what it takes to compete in front of millions.
Speaker 1: Plus We'll be joined by some very special guests.
Speaker 7: It's time to crown a new Dancing with the Stars pro. So let us be your guys. So this once in a lifetime opportunity, do.
Speaker 1: You think I could win?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: Listen to Stepping on Toes on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Now we're back in the bathroom, at DiMaggio Junior High. Mickey is sharing her lipliner with Steph and asks if she likes the shade, and Stephanie says, sure, I use it all the time, and she starts using the lipliner on her eyebrowser her eyelids or Mickey chuckles, that's for your lips, and Steph replies, oh, yes, I'm just seeing if it's sharp, and they both laugh. Good recovery stuff. Then a new group of girls walk into the bathroom. Mickey introduces Stephanie to Kelly, Gia, and Lisa, the guys as she calls them. Stephanie laughs, you don't look like guys to me, and the guys think that Stephanie is a nerd. She's actually kind of. I mean she's nervous. She's nervous. I just want to get a little baby Steph a hug and be like, don't tell jokes it. Ease into it, Steph. He's into it. So Kelly thinks that mister Lucas is a babe and did they see that odd.
Speaker 3: Of his that line?
Speaker 1: I don't know why that made me Weirdly, there's a couple of moments where yeah, I was like, I think it's normal for the girls this age. That's true to have a little crush rush male professors. But like, I guess now, it's just one of those jokes that you'd be like, I don't know that, we won't we're going to make that.
Speaker 2: I think it's just although I guess it would be weirder if he were making it about Joe.
Speaker 1: This is true. This is a very, very true. So Mickey agrees that he's the reason for the first time she has stayed awake during algebra works. Then the girls pull out a pack of cigarettes and start smoking one. They offer Stephanie a cigarette. She declines. She's clearly uncomfortable. She says she's trying to quit. Kelly, I think we got the names rocking.
Speaker 3: The names are like you mean, Michelle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the girls are either than offer Michelle one. Now that's a scene I'd like to see. Yes, I would have loved to have seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Michelle, you got it, dude, Just light one up. You know, maybe that maybe that's what was missing from Michelle's life. Yeah, Okay, So the girls are offering cigarettes to Stephanie. She declines, and then Gia says that sixth graders are terminally pathetic. God, I remember her saying that I was stuck in my brain, Yes, terminally, terminally like that. Yeah, she's just delivers that line in such a great specific way. Yeah. The bell rings and Stephanie says, oh, we better get to class, and then Kelly, Ga and Lisa tease her for oh, we've got to get to class. Guys. Mickey admonishes that hey, she's a good kid, they should give her a break. But Gia is not having it, and she tells Mickey that she can go be a good kid with her. Mickey's torn, but she ultimately decides to stay with the guys and lights up her cigarettes. As Stephanie is leaving the bathroom, one of the girls says, where did you find that? Dweb, and Stephanie leaves disappointed and embarrassed. Poor stuff like that was.
Speaker 2: Those were clothes cigarettes but oh yeah you and Marla, Yeah they weren't actual cigarettes.
Speaker 1: They were close cigarette. Yeah, because me and Marla and uh, you know, Molly, we'd try and figure out how to steal them the proper. So do they taste like they just taste like clothes and they close taste like yeah or anything? Or I mean closed cigarettes? You don't.
Speaker 3: You're not really supposed to inhale them.
Speaker 5: Deeply, Okay, you just sort of people do, but it's really sort of yeah, it's it's for like the taste.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like a cigar. It's like a sweet taste. Yeah, all right, good to know. Good to know that they weren't giving the child actors real cigarettes. Thank you for clarifying. No, just other things that you know aren't probably great for you. We all got now.
Speaker 3: At least it wasn't you.
Speaker 1: God, that would have been Yeah, that was gross. Next we are in Michelle and Stephanie's bedroom. Michelle and Aaron are playing cards at the table and they invite Stephanie to join in. Steph reveals that her life has come to this playing with kids, and she sits down at the table with the kids. Michelle asks where her new friends are, and when Stephanie says she doesn't know Michelle, Michelle says she knows exactly where her friends are. Denise is at home, Derek is at dance class, Russell is at Hebrew class, and stephan rupts her at Michelle, just deal deal the cards seriously again?
Speaker 3: You have friends, oh, just a plethora of friends.
Speaker 1: Yes, Michelle asks her to hold her breath and pick three cards. When Sephanie rejects the ideas and says, what, Michelle says, you breathed, Now you have to sing Happy Birthday to the king. Steph is like, what are you talking about? This isn't even a real game, and Aaron says, so what this is the way we play and he goes on and he says, uh. Stephanie says to Michelle, fine, I capture your queen, and Aaron says, you can't do that. That's cheating. Michelle agrees that's cheating, but Steph thinks, so she can't cheat. There are no rules to this game exactly, there's no rules and even today, yeah, there's a little fores shadowing here. Michelle and Aaron brate her with cheater, cheater, while Steph sings stupid, stupid. Danny finally comes into the room. He has to break up the arguing guys the airport just joined to complain that the noise is too loud. Steph is all wound up. Michelle invented this stupid game with no rules. Danny asks why she's playing the game if she thinks it's stupid, and then he wonders about her new friends. Steph is annoyed that he's prying into her personal life, but Danny reminds her that he's the dad and prying is part of his job description. Stephanie reports that she is done playing with six year olds. Next in the kitchen, she is now playing with toddlers, which was a great smash cut, great smash cut. We see Stephanie and Nikki and Alex coloring at the table. Stephanie tells the boys to stay inside the lines, but the boys, of course, are not so great at staying inside the lines, but at least they can stay within the page. Stephanie picks up a white crayola and pretends to start smoking it, and she asks the toddlers what they think. One twin responds bad Stephie, and the other says it's yucky, and Stephanie responds, preschoolers are terminally pathetic. Becky walks in the door and Stephanie immediately drops her cran cigarette. And this is my all time favorite part of the entire episode. Stephanie waves the invisible smoke out the air. It's just classic, classic move.
Speaker 5: That was good.
Speaker 1: That was very good. So Becky thanks Stephanie for helping watching the kids. Steph offers to watch them every day. Becky wonders allowed if Stephanie would rather hang out with her new friends from school, but Steph doesn't want to talk about her new friends or school. Becky tries to assure Steph. She remembers junior high, it can be pretty tough. Steph is relieved to hear this. It was tough for you too, and Becky answers, oh, sure, I remember coming home crying when I came in second for Winter Princess stephan stop with Becky. Everyone's problem, Bey with the good hair, stop it you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not helping.
Speaker 1: Step is annoyed that Becky cried over that, but Becky goes on, I had to ride on a tiny float with only one snowflake attendant and then Becky find it over it. She finally realizes catches on. Okay, so that's not a great example. But Becky reminds Steph that she's always there for her, and Steph says thanks. At the same time, Nicki and Alex say thank you, Mama, and she turns around to see them eating cookies on top of the table. One of the twins sweetly offers Becky an animal cracker. Back at the radio station. It's a new day, or at least we're all in new costumes, and Jesse and Joey are acting like a couple of babies, according to DJ. Jesse agrees that they are. It doesn't matter what they call the show anyways. Joey agrees, and so Jesse says, great, Yacking with Youth it is, and Joey Argustine Talk and they start going back to bickering. Steve suggests that it would be easy to settle this, and Kimmy agrees, do what we do at the Gibler House with masks, tights and a steel death caage, just like a you know. Steve thinks that's interesting, but how about an even simpler solution, a vote between the five of them. Jesse agrees this is a good idea, and also that Steve's hair is very nice. So Kimmy and Jesse vote for Yacking with Youth, and Jesse thinks kimberly saying that he's always liked her from day one. Steve and Joey vote for teen Talk, and Joey thinks Steven making it a two two tie. DJ is the tiebreaker, and she thinks both titles are lame. There's no time to clear this up now, though, because they are back from commercial. They take a call from a caller identifying herself as Olga, a foreign exchange student, asking for advice. Olga says that she has new friends that want her to smoke cigarette. Olga, as we quickly figure out, is actually Stephanie doing a fake accent from where.
Speaker 2: We're not sure it could be. It's could be Russian. Olga sounds like a Swedish. It's somewhere in the general uh, northern towards the Arctic circle. I'm thinking, I'm thinking Olga might be Russian.
Speaker 1: She sounds little Russian.
Speaker 3: It's just in which case she's probably been smoking.
Speaker 1: It's probably Yeah. Anyway, Olga is not American, as Americans says. It's not America. It's just somewhere other than here, somewhere other than that. Yeah, I mean very specific in my in my accent work. So Joey, Jesse and the teenagers all chime in with anti smoking advice, and they approve of her saying no to cigarettes. But Olga is torn. She wants these girls to like her. DJ pipees in that if you have to smoke to be their friends, they're not real friends exactly. Kimmy agrees, a true friend likes you for who you are and how much money you have.
Speaker 3: Now we see what Ken is always at the Tanners.
Speaker 1: You know they approve they can do all of these renovations on the kitchen wall and base you have. Kyle's a cash. Steve says, kissing a girl who smokes is like kissing an ashtray. And DJ would like to know what ashtray he's been kissing lately, and Steve replies, well, actually, my aunt Ethel. She smokes so much. Her Dalmatian is all black. Joey warns Olga that she'll sound like Yosemite Sam with a cactus caught in your throat if she smokes, and he does the sound. Jesse encourages her to stick to her guns. Smoking is not cool, and that's that. That's the advice. They go back to the music and DJ reminds them that it's not important what the show is called. What's important is that they helped someone out today. Joey and Jesse agree that they're fighting was ridiculous, but then the competition continues. After the show Jesse says he'll take them for pizza, and Joey responds that he'll take them bowling, and Jesse says he'll take them for ice cream after bowling, and after that Joey will take them shopping. These two just can't quit with their competitiveness, right, Yeah, can't quit, Steve, gimme and DJ run away from these conflicted uncles and uh, yeah, I this was a silly b storyline and I still maintain that yaking with you with a terrible choice, So yeah's not good. Next, in stephan Michelle's bedroom, Danny comes in to check on Steph and asks how she's doing. Stephanie is pacing and around her room and says easgood in the same accent as Olga. Danny realizes what happened. He imitates her accent and says, so it was you on the radio. Steph asks you heard me, and Danny nods, I'm glad I did. I knew something was bothering you, but I didn't know what it was. Stephanie confesses Dad, I didn't want to tell you about the cigarette thing because I didn't want you to be mad at me, and Danny replies, mad at you Steph, I'm proud of you. I know how hard it is to go against the crowd. Stephanie asks Danny if anyone has ever tried to get him to smoke. He says yes, but it never appealed to him. He figured if he wanted to fill his lungs with smoke, he'd stick his head in the barbecue. Stuff feels better, but she's still confused. How can she keep Mickey as a friend. Danny tells Steph to trust her instincts. If she likes Mickey, she should be her friend, and if not, that's okay too. He wonders if maybe Mickey is feeling the same pressure to smoke that Steph is, and she just doesn't feel strong enough to stand up to it. Steph wonders whether she should tell Mickey about her feelings, or maybe wait until she comes to her, or better yet, finish Junior High by mail.
Speaker 3: Oh stuff, at some point that will be an option.
Speaker 1: Yets it will. Danny tells her to hang in there, because, believe it or not, it gets easier. Back at the DiMaggio Junior High bathroom, Stephanie is brushing her hair in front of the mirror when the Gang of girls returns. Gia says, so they're letting you go to the bathroom all by yourself now, and Stephanie her tarts, Yeah, when are you going to start z? Steph talks, She's just good stuff, can hold her own. She can talk the talk Yep, she sure can. Gia says, ooh, little miss big mouth got me good. You want to smoke? Oh that's right, you quit.
Speaker 2: I can hear God. I can hear Mark like I can hear it. And this big mouth got.
Speaker 1: It's so great. It's just yes, it's just stays with you, that voice, that intonation. The she's so she's so New York in this episode too. She's like, yeah, she's a year old in New York. For a while. Stephanie shares that no, no, she's just a big fan of breathing, and Mickey bursts into laughter. Geia reacts, what are you laughing at? And Mickey says that was funny. If something is funny, I laugh. Steph repeats, yeah, if something is funny, she laughs. Gia tells Steph to shut up, and then she tells the gang sixth graders are a waste of skin. Stephanie comments back, you should know you were there for three years, zi ze zing get on Steffe. Steph yes, trying to get her ground back. Gea come corrects her it was two so ha, and then she looks at Mickey and says, come on, Mickey, walk me to detention. This is so well written, like Gia is so well written, all all of these details. Walk me to detention. Not realizing that I says a lot about Gia, says yeah, exactly. The others follow, but Mickey decides to stay back with the scrub. Steph starts to leave for class and Mickey stops her, asking if she wants to do something after school. Stephanie tells her that she would love to hang out, but she doesn't want to smoke. Mickey says, you know what, She's decided to try to cut down. Steph smiles, this has turned out great. They walk off to class together, back to gossiping about what mister Lucas is wearing. They say, he is so cute and that is our shite to do.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh love A plus. This was a big episode. Plus was the introduction of Gia. Steph is starting this wool.
Speaker 1: It was big changes coming, Big change is coming, A big episode. I just I loved every part of this episode. I loved casting, I loved the writing. I loved like you just hit the hit it out of the park with your acting. You could feel that cue angst, like that indecision of wanting to fit in but also wanting to like stay true to yourself. Like this was just a plus plus, no, thank you.
Speaker 2: This was This was a great episode and it's definitely one of the ones that I just remember, yeah, because I remember Marla and Mollie and you know, I just uh, yeah, it's it's funny to go back and like watch these And at the time we were like, oh, we felt so like mature, you know what I mean, we were like getting older.
Speaker 3: And then I look back now and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, look at the little baby. Oh I know, you guys look so young. It's so true you are so young, but I'm sure and it felt so grow up.
Speaker 3: But no, this was fun.
Speaker 1: And people always, you know, love this episode. They talk about it, they're like, oh, this.
Speaker 5: Was such a great episode. And you know, Steph stood up for herself and it made me feel like I could too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was this was an such a good message, such a good message, and uh, I had. I had a realization while I was watching this because naturally, you know, you think, oh, you know, in what ways do you relate to this episode as far as peer pressure or anything like that, And I had a realization that I actually couldn't relate to this episode and just stick with me for a minute where I'm going in that I never felt pressured to smell. I was never offered cigarettes, I was never offered drugs or alcohol. And that wasn't because of some sort of like moral high ground or like because I was a good kid. I realized I spent the entirety of my junior high and high school years on a sound stage, so I wasn't physically in situations where that peer pressure would present itself. Because I'm just like, what am I missing? Like, Wow, why did I miss out on this, like this formative, this formative thing. And I'm thinking it's because my career created like this protective bubble around me where I was really not faced with those types of situations. And so that never occurred to me before before this, before watching this episode, and that you know, that's not everybody's experience, but because of the timing of when I was on the show, from from ten to eighteen. I was really protected.
Speaker 2: I think you were so you didn't have to deal with kids all the time and be there all day or after school or or even Friday nights.
Speaker 1: You were right exactly, No, I was. I was on that sound stage, and so I felt I just feel very lucky that that I was protected that in that sort of way. It was an environmental thing. So yeah, I just wanted to make that acknowledgment that it's not always just it's not always like that I took the higher ground. It's that I didn't have those same types of struggles that other kids have right in high school. So I just wanted to acknowledge that. So well, there you go. Anyways, it was a light I remember, yeah, now I remember, yeah, like being this age and everybody smoking.
Speaker 3: Like acting class.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember Scott Weininger's younger brother, Todd. Oh I think I did I tell the story before on the show that we so we were all in acting class together as me, Todd, Jesse Beale and uh Chris Masters said, I don't know, it's a bunch of bunch of kids are some roster and and you know the next door had like the older kids, like the seventeen to twenty you know what I mean. They were in the room next door, but we were in the other room that was more like the young teens. And so of course everyone would try and go out there and like bump cigarettes from them.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: And I and my mom and Scott's mom would go, uh to dinner while we were in class.
Speaker 1: Didn't she come back to pick up Todd?
Speaker 2: And he went out and was smoking a cigarette and totally uh got in trouble because his mom was sitting right there in my mom's car.
Speaker 1: And oh, my gosh, oh things like that that you know, you just these are like they are they're the big stupid moments of middle school. And yeah, I think I think it's very very relatable to most kids of just feeling that that pressure of just you know, you want to fit in, but you something's holding you back and you can't. You don't even have the words articulated at that age, right, you know.
Speaker 2: Right, So, and it's the kind of your first time you're like venturing out and really making decisions for yourself, kind of on your own, Like you're not a little little kid anymore. You're you have a little more freedom and autonomy, and so you're like, oh, what what do I want?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're trying to discover who you are? Yea, what do I want? Yeah, that's that's it's critical, it's it's great in this episode just was fantastic and exploring all of those it is a great episode, a very classic full House episode.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to have Marla Han again and uh and yeah, and I love that, you know, this is how we started.
Speaker 1: And then you see Gia and Steph still friends. It's a great full circle moment when she comes back and in fuller all those years later. I can't wait to talk to her about it. Yes, and everywhere you look, what did you? Yes, I think we have the same one. The radio station assistant that hands the clipboard to Jesse and Joey, Bobby Bennett our stand in.
Speaker 2: Bobby Bennett one of our stand ins, and also Michael J. Fox's stand in in Back to the Future. Yeah, he's so nice, lovely guy, such a really nice, sweet guy.
Speaker 1: He was on our show for years. He was very Yeah, there was that.
Speaker 2: And I noticed that John had a Beach Boys album propped up in front of the the soundboard.
Speaker 1: Radio set, and he even says.
Speaker 2: All right, we're coming back with the beach boards or something like. He makes a comment. So I wonder if it was like they had a new album or something that he.
Speaker 1: Was just a little easter eggs and little promo for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely noticed that.
Speaker 1: I was like, beach Boys, that's awesome. I missed that one. That's so cool. I love it. All right.
Speaker 2: Well that's where we got for this week, everybody, great episode code, Remember everybody. If you want to find us on Instagram, you can check us out at how read Podcasts or send us emails at Howard Tanner Rito's at gmail dot com. Uh Liken, subscribe to the podcast all that fun stuff.
Speaker 1: And that's it. Yep, and we shall see you next time. Remember, everybody, the world is small. The house is full.
Speaker 2: Flannel shirts because we're entering the grunge era of the nineties. Flannel shirts and Doc Martins.
Speaker 1: I love that look. They're everywhere everywhere. The flannels shirts are great grunge.
Speaker 2: I've never really grown out of it, so yeah, just imagine. Just that's it, just Doc Martins, grunge flannel.
Speaker 1: Here we come. Nice look. I love it. Oh, let's see it by