Speaker 1: Look Mayre.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see you my own look over there is that culture? Yes, wow, lost culture ding Dong Lost Culturesa's calling.
Speaker 1: Well, you have a mug that will be relevant to our discussion later of the years. We're back on track, Thank goodness.
Speaker 2: You know about my thing with mugs, right, I have a collection of mugs like coffee mugs people.
Speaker 1: I think most people have a collection of us.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's what you need to you, but not everyone has a theme for their mugs, is what I'm saying. You know about my thing is.
Speaker 1: The theme mugs? What is the theme?
Speaker 2: No, the theme of my mug collection is the movies, theme park attractions. I always go to the gifts shop and I always get if I enjoyed a ride our attraction, I get the theme park mug. And so today I'm drinking coffee out of my Jurassic Park mug from Universal Studios.
Speaker 1: I think it's funny the Jurassic Park is itself a theme park. But can I apologize to you right up top?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: M hm, I'm sorry, my sister for making light of your really beautiful curation of mugs. I did not mean to undermine you have a really intentional, beautiful theme that is so you and so true to this and new to this. It's hold on, hold on, You're true to this.
Speaker 2: I'm not new to this. I'm true to this. Do you have anything that you sort of collect? I know the answer, But tell everyone about your collection.
Speaker 1: What's the answer. What do you think it is? I want you to say, does it have to do with a certain food item?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I collect two things.
Speaker 2: Now tell them about your collection, Tell them about your tastes, styles, and aesthetics and value.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna start with the more sort of the drier one, and then I'm gonna go to the more fun one. The the more sort of like immediately meaningful one is horses, because we're still a lunine or happy lunineer.
Speaker 2: To you, thank you, sister, and to you.
Speaker 1: My fellow horse. I collect horses. I have horse figurines throughout my apartment. My mom will always bring a horse to me, a little horse thing every year. To me. I think I'm filled to the brim with horse.
Speaker 2: Is it an auspicious animal?
Speaker 1: I think so? I think so. Wouldn't you agree, I would say, I would say. And then my other thing, which I think is what you were thinking, I would say, are my tomatoes? I have little tomatoes throughout the house.
Speaker 2: Can I say? Bowen has the best smelling hand wash I have ever encountered in certainly a friend's dwellings, maybe even in the wild at large, Like I've never what is it? Where's it from?
Speaker 1: It's they do? They do? Tomato leaves hand soap.
Speaker 2: Tomato leaves hand soap. And when I first saw it, I said, now I'm not going to be leaving this bathroom with my hands smelling of tomatoes. And then you do it. Oh, and by oh god, it is so good.
Speaker 1: Yes, Becca, it does sound good. Beca's chiming in and it's chic. And then I have my pencil holders are tomato cans, yep. And then I have a tomato drawing that I framed that I drew.
Speaker 2: What draws used?
Speaker 1: What draw what draw drew?
Speaker 2: What draws you to Torando's What drew you to tomatoes? Like? What is it about tomatoes that made you say? I want to remember.
Speaker 1: Her when I was a kid and into my adulthood in my thirties. Still, you know, I guess this doesn't happen as much anymore, But remember when you were a kid growing up, and someone'd be like, I can read your mind. Think of something like when someone tells you to think of something mm hmm, Like the first thing you think of when blank, In any situation where someone tells me, what's the first thing you think of when blah blah blah. No matter what the condition is, I think of tomatoes. Oh, it is the thing that like pops in. And it's so interesting that you hate them.
Speaker 2: It's not that I hate them, It's just that I don't like them plain. But maybe maybe is the fates. I love tomato sauce, I love tomato soup. Maybe what's happening is the fit love Ketchup. Not crazy. I mean, like the way I just said that, people would think I'm some sort of like freak for Ketchup like Ketchup.
Speaker 1: No, you just like you like lekopede, you like the nutrients in the tomato leaf in the plant.
Speaker 2: I think that's what it is. But something about tomatoes by themselves, like I can't like if I'm ever eating a salad and there's tomatoes and them, you will see them there at the end. They will get thrown out. I often ask for no tomatoes. I certainly think that what chases me away from certain burgers is the fact that the presence of tomatoes is highly likely or even the thought of even the thought of tomatoes being on them will make me completely invalidate at McDonald's menu item, I famously will never even touch a Big Mac because I think there's tomatoes on them, even though you.
Speaker 1: Are going forward that they will never be once again, there will never be a tomato and a Big Max. So you can order them, you're safe.
Speaker 2: Why won't you do it? Because I just I've made my decision about this, Okay, it is what it is. Crazy. This is crazy. Oh and then maybe your love of tomatoes is maybe there's a reason why we are the besties that we are because the Faith said he is going to teach him about tomatoes. This no, this is what's gonna happen. Is basically like we are friends, close friends. Twenty years later we become friends. No, that would mean we take a break. Just in twenty years. Something's gonna happen with tomatoes. That's our this is me now.
Speaker 1: That's our motorcycle accident in the desert or wherever they're in the icy desert and the icy desert Okay, can I really quickly just before we talk about j Lo. The other thing about tomatoes that is really sort of imprinted is that when I was little, my mom would cut up, slice up tomato and then sprinkle sugar over it and put it in a plate sort of like Nobu style, as if it was like a delicious fish, and then my sister and I would eat it would be like an afternoon snack, and like tomatoes and scrambled eggs such like staple like Chinese like college student dish that like really like It's like tomatoes are so important across the world, and I think tomatoes. I think the Italians gave the Chinese tomatoes, and the Chinese gave Italians noodles, and so like Hiki, we gave Marco Polo pasta, and we as in China. I'm like aligning with China in this, and Marco Polo gave China tomatoes. I think, wow, maybe we gave both. I think we gave Italians a lot, and that's a rule of culture. I think China gave Italians a lot, including COVID, including co. The cultural exchange that we're talking about here is so beautiful, yes, and I love to see that there's a Chinese and of someone that people think is Italian here in the I was gonna say, people and I dead ass thought you were Italian when we first met. I like, there's something Italian about it. Turns out it was just the longest a lot of.
Speaker 2: Very Italian things about me. I think my general demeanor from being of Long Island is a little Italian, gives a little Italian. I think my complexion gives a little Italian because there's some olive tone, there's some Mediterranean then there. Yeah, for sure. I certainly whenever anyone accuses me or says Italian, I say, I understand, I understand. It's like when anyone ever comes up and goes, you're Ryan, right, or Chris, or you're justin or aren't you James. It's like, yeah, basically.
Speaker 1: Is that what you say to them?
Speaker 2: I don't like that as a joke. I often go, well, we're all the same. No.
Speaker 1: I think from this point on, after this week, if anyone says you're Ryan, you're justin, you're that person, right, you go, Vin.
Speaker 2: This is me, not.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is me, Matt, that's the title of that. No, No, this is me dot dot dott.
Speaker 2: This is me, Matt slash Bowen slash Bowen. Did you get a chance to watch the film?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: And can we just give it up for this duo of Jlo and Dave Myers, who have worked together for truly decades. What a beautiful I kind of love that part the most is that very two people who very lasting. These are two people who trust each other's visions so much. I was just watching it the whole time, going, you know, thank God, something like this is getting made.
Speaker 2: Yep, even though she had to pay for it herself. Oh is that right? Yeah, So she basically like in the many dozens of interviews I've been watching with her, because I've now sort of I mean, I was on Jlo's Wikipedia last night, like I was like going through it. And also so much has to be said about Jlo, Like I feel like right now, it's a little bit of it's a little bit of a fraught moment right now, because she is literally everywhere. She got the new album, and a lot of people have certain things to say about like the Ison original and the fact that like you know, it's meta on meta, self aware, on selfware, like a lot of people always have everything to say about her, and you know that's by virtue of who she is, correct, And what I really like watching about these things is it's kind of like seeing just an artist go completely unchecked and say exactly what they want to say. Yeah, and in doing so they reveal a lot about themselves. And I feel like what Jennifer Lopez has revealed about herself ultimately is this like I'm a hopeless romantic thing, like I'm a rom com queen thing, like I'm Jenny from the Block thing, Like it can all sort of be, you know, narrowed down to the fact that she's just like she's just a lady. She's just a basic lady like everything like anyone else. She happens to be incredibly talented, but at the end of the day, what she thinks about a romance and astrology and her husband and like that is truly universal. I think it's beautiful. I think the fact that she said, you know, so what, I'm gonna put twenty million dollars into this thing where ultimately it's kind of about like my astrology guides is so revolutionary basic woman that I'm I'm truly obsessed like and I do think that her mass appeal is so on display here because anyone could watch this and even though it's completely insane, like emotionally, you can understand every beatavent Oh absolutely. Is it high art? No, but it's populist, it's j LO and you know she made it because I genuinely think she believes people will A understand me better after this and B be able to know what I'm talking about because we all want love and we're all hopeless romantics in some form. That's really it. She provided this entertainment. Is it Grammy Oscar whatever? Winning? Is it a little goofy, a lot goofy at times? Yes, but she fucking went for it and I was high as a kite and I lived my life watching this.
Speaker 1: Oh great. I don't think there's like an unintentional goofiness about any of it. I think she's like the whole. Like all the Zodiac guides sayings were played for comedy, the wedding was basically played for comedy in a way, and sort of like poignantly shot and like really well edited, I think. And I just have to say my main takeaway was, aside from the things that you've just laid out, which is what she wants us to know, is that she loves love and that's it, not that, but that that is like her essence. But I also am just thinking to myself the entire sixty minutes of this film, thinking, God, she's so compelling to watch. She's such a good actor, she is such a good dancer, and the vocals she's like delivering what she has to deliver as it complements the rest of this work, and I think that is beautiful. I don't think she was being too lofty in what she was trying to do here. I think she kind of accomplished everything she had to do.
Speaker 2: I think that, like in terms of her voice, what she has is a sound that I think is pretty identifiable, and even in looking into her from the very beginning, because I was really in the Wikipedia last night, like going back to her first album, on the six, Don't disrespect on the six, Like on the six was great. On the six had hits. On the six was at the forefront of what they call and I think that some people take some exception to this, like including the people involved, but like that Latin pop explosion, like that she was the forefront of that. Ricky was at the forefront of that. Enrique was at the forefront of like she really like was part of creating a very popular sound, and a lot of those songs hold up, like when you hear waiting for Tonight now when You're out, it's a moment everyone everyone pays respects, and just going back to that like that was a huge risk. And that's something that I I think doesn't get said about her enough is that pretty much everything she does, because she is so watched and so deliberated, everything she does is a huge risk. So being this like established movie star going into full pop star, not even ironic pop star, not even singer, going into a full attempt at a ten out of ten pop star marquee idol was a huge risk, and she pulled it off. And she is consistently more than anyone else in our culture gone between those identities of the triple threat thing, she really walks the walk.
Speaker 1: Think about this hugely successful recording artist in multiple genres, hugely successful actor in multiple genres and media in terms of film and television. The fact that she had shades of blue, like yeah, not even ten years ago, is that she did like a procedural show in her career sort of lifespan is wild to me, and I like, you must respect you simply must literally that love question Mark as an album, like jettisending her into like performing at the World Cup. It's like, this is an international entertainer, literally world class superstar. She is one of our best. You must acknowledge, you must acknowledge and respect her. Watching Barbera in the movie that is real because I remember when she came to HOSTESSNL. I sat down next to her in the post pitch meeting. She was clutching before anyone else had the coach barbar streisand collection clutching her barber streisand bag, and I was like, oh, I love that. She goes thank you, she strokes and she goes funny girl. Like she goes funny girl. I'm like, oh, I sin now like she like wore Barbara the entire week because she was hosting, and it was like, bitch, go off, go off, and Jaylo is funny. You have to say that too. I have all these imperatives. I'm making all these imperatives, like Jlo is fucking funny.
Speaker 2: When you look at the filmography, though, like this very rapidly became what. I don't think anyone thought it was going to become which was a j low Stan episode. But like, you look at her filmography, and first of all, if you don't think that the fact that she was in Shades of Blue was the last thing I thought about last night before I closed my eyes, you are deeply mistaken. I literally I got through Wikipedia. I was watching interviews with her till so late. She was on Kelly clarksondly give her like twenty minutes. I watched like both for Zay and low Apple interviews, like I was been in Wendy Williams like ten times. Wendy loves her. Yeah, but I'm talking about this press cycle in particular. This mama was very ware. She was talking about.
Speaker 1: The project, and she's very winning on every talk show.
Speaker 2: She's very relaxed, and it feels like she's really confident about what she's made. And it feels like, also she must have genuinely checked out of caring about what people think about her. And we're in because she's out there like pretty much just laying at baar like about what this is and why it is, et cetera. But I was looking at her filmography and it really is the versatility is there? I mean, you forget about what she was doing in the late nineties or late two thousands, like she was in out of sight, you know she and also not for nothing, but god, I have.
Speaker 1: To stop saying that phrase. But no, don't, don't, don't ever stuff.
Speaker 2: From the very beginning of her career, pretty much she was not only like exemplifying her talent in all these different ways, but she was setting trends left and right, like, for example, the juicy tracksuit thing, the hoops, the newsboy caps, like that was pretty much all.
Speaker 1: Over the neckline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was reading on her Wikipedia that there's something about the way that she impacts culture and style trends. For example, like her celebrity fragrance basically created the idea of the mainstream celebrity fragrance. Like there was obviously Elizabeth Taylor, and then Glow by j Low was the first one that was like I remember my mom getting Glow by Jay Looh, my mother, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I think her count on her fragrances is like she's she's over two billion of them. Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, she sold like she's moved that many skews, but I'm saying, like twenty fragrances in the line.
Speaker 2: Oh right, And what I'm saying is like her impact on culture is not a joke, Like it's pretty much always been that way too, And for example the Versace dress, like that's just like an isolated moment in time. But these are things that are like really lasting in the culture, and they came from one person and that person.
Speaker 1: Who fool images came from one person.
Speaker 2: Really and also someone who could have so many times been so identifiable with an era like Jlo could have just been an early two thousands thing like one hundred percent, Like there's no reason why she shouldn't have been done done and ben Affleck too, after the benefit of it all, after Jilie, after like the p Diddy of it all, after so many things went down, or her career and how big she was, there's no reason why that shouldn't end. But it has lasted because of her talent and her talent alone. So when she gets ultimately to this point in her career where she's like, I'm putting a ton of money into this thing that I want to say, I have to stand up and applaud that because not a lot of people get that opportunity, and not a lot of people get to execute that opportunity. M h. And who's to say if it's done the way people would want it to be done, Like, it's not necessarily I don't think it's like, yeah, I guess what I'm saying is like it doesn't have like the kindest reviews. But I think it's like beside the point.
Speaker 1: I think this is the thing about j Loo too, she didn't care. Is that if she doesn't care, amazing, But it's like the audience doesn't care. Yeah, we're watching this, like this was all anybody was talking about with me this weekend, and it was no one said a peep about the reviews. Everyone was just like it's insane, it's amazing. It's crazy. It's that I mean, like it was it really ran the game of like it didn't matter if someone told me if someone thought it was bad, I would just be like, oh, I thought it was so out there that I kind of had to love it, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But that's the Jlo thing too, where like she transcends any kind of critical evaluation in terms of the broader cultural impact. If one fucking idiot doesn't like what she fit's out, it doesn't matter. Yeah, And I don't know if that's like admirable necessarily. I just think like, this is the reality and this is what we're dealing with. So it's like it's like you're saying, it's besides the point, I think. And she did one of the best super Bowls, one of the best super Bowls.
Speaker 2: Absolutely one of the best super Bowls. And I remember like when she came out at the top of her super Bowl performance, like after Shakira did her thing, she was also amazing. You see Jlo where you're just like absolutely, hell, yeah, there, she is a superstar. We were all free Larson weeping at the Golden Globes at that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And people can interpret this, j Loo love how they want. Thoughts about what is your interpretation about the accident in the beginning of the film spoiler alert, by the way.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alone for this is me now. Yeah, I think that the motorcycle accident on the icy desert basically symbolizes her and Ben flying too close to the sun. I mean I think they were going too fast, too dangerous, like they basically they lost control. Okay, Yeah, and that was what broke her heart well, she talks about this pretty candidly too, like in the interviews, like the Jlo and Ben thing basically was so heartbreaking because it wasn't the fact that they didn't love each other. It was the fact that they couldn't handle everything around them, how intense, like how intense it was, how negative people were, how much people seem to not want them to make it, Oh, how dis respectful people were to her and to him by nature of them being together, because remember they were both trash for being together. And these are two you know, you can be a fan or not, but these are two incredibly talented people. And I think these are people who obviously when they split up, went on to then go to career heights like they already were a list, and then when they separated there it actually got even bigger for both of them because they went on to critical bona fides. They became monoculture, they were, and then they really solidified like Ben Affleck and Jlo are famous, famous, famous, And so I think that what was so heartbreaking about it was knowing that they had every good intention going into it and really loved each other, and it was that thing of essentially a pretty mature decision to make before you get married or before you go too far of like we have to stop or else we might resent each other because they resent us. And so this is just it's a star cross thing. I mean, like we're not gonna work out because we can't get out of our own way situationally. And then what I will say is it is dangerous to put out there that in twenty years you could get back together with that person, because you know that had me spun out, oh.
Speaker 1: Let me spun out. Theirs is a very unique situation.
Speaker 2: I was in the mood to just sit here and watch all j Loo for twelve hours, like I really, I really was, like I was in my j Low moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the fact that the documentary doesn't come out to the end of the month, I was like, oh, man, like I don't know, maybe by the end of the month we'll be moved on. But I will say, smarter for her to just like do the complete media assault now in this like tiny window of time before all the girls stopped to the front, I know, because it feels like she really hit her Valentine's moment, you know what I mean, Like everything about this felt pretty writing, especially, and she gets this for something that in a couple of weeks people aren't going to be talking about anymore. Like this is a little blip, and it's a jalo blip, and it's beautiful and gorgeous and chaotic and insane, and then it'll be over.
Speaker 1: A jalo blip can ripple out in a serious way. And that's a rule of culture.
Speaker 2: That's a major culture, that's real. Quaestion number forty blip can in a major, serious way.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, couple of things to share. First of all, Gregory Maguire reached out on Wednesday to confirm that he does listen to the podcast. I am so sorry. I apologized over email, I said Gregory, I did not mean to assume anything about your listening your media diet. Very very nice of him. Unbelievable that someone like him would listen, but love.
Speaker 2: That it's because he recognizes this as a Glenda alphabet story.
Speaker 1: It's a Glenda alphabet story. Gregory I think is a finalist. He did not have self identifying any way towards me.
Speaker 2: Certain finalist. That's a definition of a finalist, someone who's fully formed in the culture, who don't need this.
Speaker 1: Who gave us a cultural artifact, who expanded this story of a universally known narrative in a way that is maybe not technically canonized, but is like the like prequel to The Wizard of Oz as far as the culture is concerned.
Speaker 2: Can I say that I'm just beaming sitting here smiling, beaming because speaking a finalist. And I'm just gonna say this because I feel like we've been talking about j Lo as someone who did the crossover thing between acting and singing and also was very identifiably of a time and like, yes, understood the test of time. There is a finalist who has identified themselves as a finalist in that they are a reader katie publicist of this podcast, and they're gonna come on the show. And I have to say, Mandy Moore, we are so obsessed with you, anily Cat. I swear to God, I'm in the damns with Mandy Moore. She's gonna come on the show at some point. And I just felt like, while we were talking about Jayla, I was like, wait, there's literally someone else too that like I'm gonna cry a full icon for decades.
Speaker 1: I know the question that I'm going to ask her that I've been wanting to ask her for oh twenty years, since two thousand and three. I've wanted to ask her this question twenty one years.
Speaker 2: So do you want to put the question out there now because she may hear it? Okay, Mandy, you now are gonna hear the question, and you have time to think about this one.
Speaker 1: Mandy Moore, did you have a Zanga page in the heyday of zanga? Because there was a mandymore dot zanga dot com where she was writing blog posts and there were this was the days before verified, and so like I was on that zanga every day hearing her talk about was just on set, was just in the studio, and the way she wrote was so beautiful and poetic. If that was her, I need this for my soul, man.
Speaker 2: Because also like, well, you need it for your soul because what if it wasn't her and you were dame it.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it will be devastating, but not not altogether unsurprising.
Speaker 2: Wow wow, to think about a celebrity blogging and like what two thousands.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and two, I was at like the library on the computer on zanga, reading my friend zengas. But then like, I really want to know Mandy Moore zanga, like what Mandy Moore is saying? And then she used the phrase in one of her posts, to put it mildly. And as a twelve year old, you hear that and you go, well, that's my new favorite fucking phrase to put it mildly.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We say that all the time as adults. Now, I'm sure in this generation, but in two thousand and two, if you were twelve years old, that blew my mind.
Speaker 2: You're to put it mildly? Do you know what mine was? What it was Mariah Carey using the word nonchalantly in her songs. I immediately was like, what is is that? That word word? And I looked it up and it was like, oh, it's like uncaring, like when you do something like and it feels secondhand like you nonchalantly tossed off a phrase. Are you nonchalantly? Like you know, made mention it? And I was like, I will use that incessantly to quote another another Mariah way, and like, but Mariah's vocals, she loves her adverb. Clearly she had an impact on the girls because here's fucking Mandy Moore to put it mildly, and that that's a true cultural print moment. Bow, and the fact that you remembered that all these years later, that Mandy Moore said to put it mildly in her Zenga blog.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't her, then I will be chilled to the bone.
Speaker 2: No, oh my god, that would be chilling.
Speaker 1: But if it was her, I will cry. I will burst into tears. I promise if she says that was my zanga, I will cry, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And Mandy don't because we've DMed it several times back and forth and I just smile beaming the whole time. Don't answer that question yet, like we don't want to know. We need to know when you come on and this has to be in person and bone. You have to come to La for that. We have to figure out when you're gonna come to LA next.
Speaker 1: Okay, no problem, Maybe March I will fly to La on my own dime for Mandy Moore. Los cull terestas absolutely.
Speaker 2: I have to say, do you remember? Okay? I think my favorite Mandy Moore ever is only hope, No, No, Although incredible. First of all, it's really hard to say this because there's so many good songs.
Speaker 1: I would watch the Cry music video by the Way on the Walk to Remember DVD every day after school, keep going. I'm sorry I had.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many times I watched your Walk to Remember and wept and wept and wept. It became you ever watched those movies enough where it becomes more about you crying about the movie. Like I was just like, well, I want to absolutely sob, so I'm going to watch you Walk to Remember again.
Speaker 1: I want to absolutely sob to Walk to Remember or and this is back in the days of DVD. I want to laugh my ass off. To the commentary featuring Adam Shankman, several times they are they are having a gas laughing at Darryl Hannah's wig. Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Don't let me wait when you mentioned wig. I have to get to something, but first, let me just say the Mandy Moore song. I try, but I I want to be with you. I used to just be in my bedroom, like running around in circles thinking of like I don't know, I guess that was in like fourth grade, like Kristin Rocco, who I had crutch just like me, like he what a bit with you? Like listening to this like girls song thinking about I guess a girl, I'm a linked gay ass. Oh my god, I love that.
Speaker 1: An amazing whole album.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Mandy Mandy, to say nothing of Saved, to say nothing.
Speaker 1: Say nothing of, how to deal, to say nothing of, I'm sorry the song Guardinia play Gardinia Now, Readers, Katie's publicist finalists, you will not regret it. She was doing this. She's not new to this.
Speaker 2: She's true this. It's actually a real culture. Number seventyymore is.
Speaker 1: Not new to this.
Speaker 2: She's true to this. And you can see her now on Doctor Death season two on Peacock and it's an anthology Peacock, We love you. I mean that really, that's what it is. Because when I first dm'd her, she was like, well we should wait till after the strike, and I was like, and then I remember I saw her on the Today Show something Jaylo was wont to do, and Mandy Moore is also want to do when she is a project discussing Doctor Death, and I was like, now did we miss our window here? But the thing about Mandy Moore is there will always be a project and that's where look coatch your number ninety it will always always be a project.
Speaker 1: We're so excited. Oh my god, Mandy is everything. She was my life. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Whenever people would be like, Okay, Brittany Christina and I was just like, definitely respect both. Definitely for sure. Brittany has a place in my life and cultural history. Christina has a place in my life and my personality formation. And then there was Jessica, who was you know, fun on Newly Went. She did her thing. And then Mandy Moore was not only right there with them, but also smart enough to be like, you know what, I've had a competing with these girls. I'm doing my own thing. I'll catch you later. After my covers album, Oh my god, coverage o her Yes coverage. The song choices on that album, by the way sophisticated. She is covering Mona Lisa's and Mad Hatters by Elton not just any Elton john song, a fucking deep cut of an Elton Johnson No. And I remember when it came out. I was excited because I'm like, oh, covers, like thinking it's gonna be like songs you hear on fucking American Idol. And then my little, my little ass, I didn't know any of these have a little faith in me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go college a single by the way, the lead single, this girl is an artist down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and such a gorgeous voice, and not only gorgeous voice, but identifiable voice. It's like what we were saying. It's like the thing of like you hear Mandy Moore and you're like, that's Mandy Moore and she's perfect for Tangled. Oh my god, my mind. I could cry to death. I could cry to death.
Speaker 1: Did I just recently talk about this line read Entangled? When she's telling Donna Murphy, I will never She was like, I will spend the rest of my life trying to get as far away from you as possible.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you to me at the end of a long day.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow Mandy Okay. But then to reference another recent guest or another guest, I ended up going to Wrestless leg tour at the Beacon.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, how was it?
Speaker 1: Just like top to bottom sublime.
Speaker 2: I was just like, oh, I'm so upset, I couldn't go.
Speaker 1: It's everything you want them to do. And then they both individually did like a stand up set and like both had different angles and takes on it. Like Amy was giving like kind of like beautifully pensive thematic on this thing on like memory, and it's like all these great bits and stories and jokes, and then Tina comes in and just sort of like does without spoiling too much, like she's doing like her idea of what her doing stand up should be. Basically that's funny and it's it's so funny, And they do an update thing basically, oh man, where the top jokes were that day was like Trump has to pay like three hundred and fifty million dollars, like the news broke that day, and then they had jokes.
Speaker 2: They had fresh updatey jokes about it.
Speaker 1: I was just like, God, these women and like hearing them do update, I was just like I remember their cadence and their like delivery on it, like and how like stylistically, it's not any better or worse than like what Seth was, what Colin and Chase is now and like what like it's just you realize, Oh so each update era is like its own flavor and tone and I kind of forgot that about SNL, which is kind of crazy. But like hearing Amy read jokes and Tina read jokes, I was like, whoa, this is like this is a fucking trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a trigger. It's like a good trigger. It's like it takes you back to that time when you're like like, oh my god, Tina and Amy on update.
Speaker 1: Because the thing about comedy is it's not like playing the hits necessarily like a musician does, right, Like you know, like you can be an act with like twenty year old songs, right, you can play those songs and the crowd goes wild. You can't really do that with comedy unless there's something, unless the container is similar, but whatever the content is has to be fresh and new, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like that's the trick about like touring and just doing comedy in general, is that like if you're a name, you kind of have this bar to measure up to. And like the fact that they still do it so it seems like it's soortless, but you can appreciate the work that goes into it, like, which is not to say that it's labored at all. You cannot see them sweat. It's just so special to watch them do it. Yeah, I mean they're they're fucking phenomenal, Like these are the best we have.
Speaker 2: They're the best of what they do. I mean, it's funny that you mentioned that, like the legacy artist thing, like Billy Joel comes out and does like New York state of Mind, like Tina and Amy doing weekend Update is them doing their New York state of Mind, you know what I mean? And right, but but except they have to have to fill it with new content, so it's like it's a different challenge.
Speaker 1: As we're talking about time though, It's like there are comedians as we know, who have like kind of tainted the legacy because of like the way that they update oh god content. Like that is the thing that is kind of remarkable with Tina and Amy, and that's it's not to say that they're the exception to the rule, but there is a way to do it where I think like they are not necessarily confined to any sort of formal thing besides the update piece. But the rest of the show is like built to their strengths and also them trying new things. But it's like they also have the benefit of not having to go up there just by themselves with a microphone. Yeah, but they can like do things that are like legible and familiar to the audience and then loosely sort of break out of that and then piece it back together by the end in this way that is like comforting and really really cathartically funny.
Speaker 2: But also if they were to go out there by themselves with the mic, they would be fine. And here's the first because they know what's important in terms of comedy and in terms of like really being an entertainer and a lasting entertainer, which is exactly what you said. They're not fixated with the past and how it's like affecting their present, like all these comedians, like these iconic comedians, like you know who they are, who are so angry and up in arms about like what the cultural reality is now, like getting all up in arms about like you know, trans rites, getting all up in arms about like woke culture that they are no longer funny and they have lost sight on what's important, which is entertaining. And the conclusion I keep coming to is if you are unable to participate in now because of the past, you cannot be a part of the future. Like if you are so tripped up in what is happening right now because.
Speaker 1: Because of this confectedness to the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this like romanticism of yesterdayar and this need for things to be the way they were. It's fine, Like, you can continue to kick around in that slop, but you will not be a part of the future.
Speaker 1: I think they're banking on the future being not linearly progressive, that it will.
Speaker 2: Circle back, that will like realize that what like quote unquote wokeness is a trend, like people finally having the right and ability to speak up for themselves, being like, hey, this type of humor is only funny to a certain type of person, and it really degrades and demoralizes and dehumanizes a whole group of people. So maybe if we're actually funny, we should be able to do something else. Like they think that that idea is what a fad? Maybe good fucking luck, good fucking luck. Let's talk about Madam Web. Did you see it? Yeah? I did?
Speaker 1: Oh tell me everything.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are saying that this movie was not so bad, that it's good, Like a lot of people are saying, like he was just boring. No, I think the movie was so bad. I had a great time, Like, I love it. I had the best time watching this movie, Like, and I didn't think it was boring. I just thought it was completely insane and unhinged. And what I love about it is Dakota Johnson's knowledge frame to frame that this is horseshit. Like Dakota Johnson, I want to be like her friend because she is.
Speaker 1: Just there, Like she's a good vibe. I can report.
Speaker 2: You can tell like she's delivering the lines like just enough so that it's acceptable to be cut, but also like there's like this little way where she's like, I don't know, man.
Speaker 1: Like not to conjecture. I think she was giving that in fifty Shades too.
Speaker 2: I think she was.
Speaker 1: Well, there was a moment and it made me love her.
Speaker 2: Yes, And do you remember because iconically the first time we ever saw fifty Shades was me, you and Dresden on and address Valentine's Day like what it had to be like ten years ago? What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Twenty fifteen, Yeah, we hold them one in fifty Shah.
Speaker 2: Just christ I hate time.
Speaker 1: Fifty Shades of Great I came out twenty fifteen. Yeah, wow, this is.
Speaker 2: Nine Oh my god, Okay, so nine years ago we're seeing this and there was a moment where like either Jamie Dornan says something and there's a count Dakota that's like, uh okay, it like wasn't supposed to be that, but they keep it and even in interviews now, she's like I think she was on the Tonight Show and Jimmy was like, all right, so what do we have to know before we see the movie? Like what do we have to know?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Come on, dude, come on, tell me what we need to know, guy, And Dakota's like, you can know absolutely nothing and enjoy our movie. You don't have to know anything, see and.
Speaker 1: She still believes in the movie.
Speaker 2: She's not retirelessly promoting it.
Speaker 1: It's not that she's like abandoning her sort of Yeah, she's still out here saying watch the movie. Mm hmmm, it's pretty fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what does she have to and you know what, to her credit, like I was entertained the whole time. The whole time, I was like I want and I'm being like, this is so insane. But the whig thing from before, Okay, so we met a wig Sydney Sweeney's wig in this is so bad.
Speaker 1: Like it's so bad.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I'm like I get it, Like I understand, like hair is tough to deal with on a day to day and sometimes you want a certain result. But then I was like, you know what, now it's part of it, Like now the fact that this is such a horrible wig is part of it, and we're playing the terrain. This is now an element of this movie that I really enjoy. Yes, Yes, the villain in the movie, have you heard about this? All of his lines are a dr oh, I've heard about this? Yeah, yeah, yeah, it literally bowing. His mouth is moving, and it's like watching like a Godzilla movie, Like it's it's like what is coming out of his mouth or what they want you to think, Like what you're hearing is so different than what his mouth is doing. Because they clearly had to rewrite the movie because it didn't make sense, like we have to find out what the villain wants and what he's doing because it's unclear. It was unbelievable social mammots in it, sitting the whole time being like a computer hacker. It never pays off the cast they got for this, for Adam Scott truly just cashing a check. I can't believe Emma Roberts is in the movie.
Speaker 1: This is like it's so.
Speaker 2: Stacked and they're all doing nothing.
Speaker 1: So happy, Okay, all I needed to hear was I was getting so many conflicting reports on this about whether or not it's bad in a fun way, And all I need to hear is that you thought it was fine, So now I will go see it.
Speaker 2: Bowen. The way it ends, Dakota is so iconic for the way that it ends, like so much going on in the final frames of the movie, Like I can't spoil it, but just advice to say, it's giving Professor X in a way that is so funny.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait. Dakota, is I have a Halloween costume? Let's just say no.
Speaker 2: And then as a result of that, I was like, Wow, Dakota, she is here to stay for sure. And so you know what I was rewatching. I was rewatching some clips from The Lost Daughter put some respect on.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, so good.
Speaker 2: She is so good in that, so good in that, and so bizarre in it too, like she's playing so.
Speaker 1: But alluring and like seductive, just like the things like playing to her strength. I think Dakota Johnson herself is that is the essence of her. Yeah, she's a little strange.
Speaker 2: Oh, Bowen, I wish we could have seen this movie together.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm sad. This is what happens by coastal my ass, I know, not, I know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I guess I could say on the pod what I'm doing. Yes. So I'm here shooting a new series for Netflix and it's from Liz Feldman, who did Dead to Me So Good, And it's called No Good Deed. And the cast is Ray Romano, Lisa Kudro, Linda Cardellini, Luke Wilson, Dennis Leary, Teana Parish, like, oh my god, Abby Jacobson, Poppy Louie, Poppy Anna, Mario Horsford, and fucking me. It's such a fun cast and the group is so great. And it's about Ray and Lisa play this couple who are selling their Los Felis home and there's like a bunch of different couples like and people vying for the home. But when no one knows is that something very dark has happened in the house. And I played the real estate agent, so I get to have scenes with everyone. I have a really fun part. I can't say too much about it, but you're the glue. Let's just say I'm I'm a big function and I really really really am excited about it, and uh, it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Be really good.
Speaker 2: I read the scripts and I'm like, oh shit, y, it's so exciting.
Speaker 1: This is what we need. We need Matt Rogers like playing a realtor, but like giving giving connective tissue. I said, it's.
Speaker 2: Giving one third Kroschelle one third, Christine Quinn one third Matt Rogers.
Speaker 1: Bitch, that's that's a scary, scary pie chart horrifying. I only really like one of those people. No, I like Rochelle the way you just said. I only really like one of those people. And I'm one of the people. Well yeah, because it's like, you know, lovely like Matt. That's not how I meant it.
Speaker 2: I love Rochelle too. Can I say, Chrishelle? Chrischelle will hit the carpet, Yeah, at the People's Choice Awards, and I'll be like, that.
Speaker 1: Is all of us right there there you go. Oh have you watched any of Mister and Missus Smith. I am two episodes in. I was like, watch in those two episodes of be like, oh I'm in. I'm strapping my seatbelt for this. I just haven't been able to move as quickly as I would like to. I really enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I watched the first episode. I liked it a lot for some reason, liked it a lot more than I thought me too.
Speaker 1: I like that it's giving Mystery of the Week, I think because there have been rumors that it like wasn't good and that's why Phoebe waller Bridge wasn't in it, and I was disappointed that she wasn't.
Speaker 2: Though I do love my Ers.
Speaker 1: Maya is fantastic and.
Speaker 2: This is such a different thing than Penn fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I really liked the conceit of it, which is, this is their assignment. It's their assignment to cover as a married couple. It's not the original movie, which is obviously they were married and then found out they were married to us. By this isn't really interesting good if you will weigh in, which is that you're seeing them on day one of their marriage because it's their new assignment and they have they have like a charming little rapport. I like watching it. I'm excited to see how it develops.
Speaker 1: Also in terms of it being from Donald and Stephen Glover Kira MURRAI like that whole Atlanta group very different from that. Like, I like that it's this Like again, I like that it's kind of episodic. You're not getting a lot of that anymore, and this is it really works for me. I think the fact that it's a little episodic like makes it.
Speaker 2: Also the serialization is gonna come so obviously in their relationship, you know what I mean, it's almost procedural in that way where it's like the way that you develop an affection for like these characters, you know, Benson and Stabler, is because you see them in these situations and then all of a sudden you're like.
Speaker 1: You're thinking about the totality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, in the totality of it, you connect to them and you get their partnership, whereas like, obviously I haven't seen too much of this yet, but it feels like that might be what binds and connects them because obviously they're very odd couple at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Totally, when I think about the totality of Mandy Moore or Jennifer Lopez, I think these are my girls.
Speaker 2: I mean literally, I just I can't even like Mandy Goes. I love the podcast. I love you guys so much. And I was like Mandy Moore, Man, if I start, I won't stop because I could go on and on. I mean literally any things that you literally.
Speaker 1: Just screamed at each other.
Speaker 2: I know, And honestly, it's kind of nice to just get that out of the way, so that like, and I'm sure that we will absolutely fawn over her when she comes, but like the way that it could just be thirty minutes of us being like Mandy.
Speaker 1: Not that you guys haven't heard us be sick of fantic towards our guests before. Now, can we talk about the year? Do you have stuff for the year?
Speaker 2: Yes, So this week on the podcast, the year, the cultural year that we are excavating. This year has been chosen from the goblet of cultural years, is nineteen ninety three. Bowen, what are your instincts and things that immediately you have jumping out of your heart when I say that year in nineteen ninety three, I.
Speaker 1: Am gonna say, well, as we said, I said Jurassic Park, I'm gonna say the York debut, I'm gonna say, hey, oh my god, hold on, I'm doing a cook Google exiling guy, the Lives Fair.
Speaker 2: Wow, you could speak to that. This was a.
Speaker 1: Huge year for like alt rock quote unquote whatever that means to you. But in terms of like your PG Harvey's, your Radioheads, your fucking Nirvana. You know, it's like this was a time of like grunge, Like I don't even know quite how to like type this, but like it was that mixed with like adult contemporary was like really starting to come in and like be this like Mariah putting out music box is I think like also indicative, Oh Janet doing Janet Like this is like things were kind of coexisting in an interesting way and like nothing was like overtaking the other, like it could all live next to each other without bumpang mm hmmm. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean this was a time where it's funny that you talk about that type of music because by far the biggest album of this year, and it would be ultimately one of the biggest albums of all time in its totality. A word we've used much on this episode is Whitney Houston The Bodyguard. Oh my god, So Whitney Houston The Bodyguard was the biggest, not only the biggest album of the year, but the biggest one of the biggest albums of the decade. It obviously was connected to the film The Bodyguard, which was released, so it's obviously one of the biggest soundtracks of all time. This is obviously in the grand scheme of Whitney Houston's career. There's no bigger song then I Will Always Love You. Obviously it is what she is most iconic for. But that being said, there was also many many tracks on this album that were huge hits, such as I Have Nothing, such as Queen of the Night, such as Run to You. This was like the apex Diva moment of Whitney Houston, and it obviously coincides with what you were saying, like, you know, Mariah had just really popped off like Selene in a couple of years would really really really be at her like mainstream height. But in many ways this was the beginning of not even really the beginning, but it was like the rising action peak, let's say, in some way of that like diva thing. Yeah, so interesting that also, you know, grunge was happening, and like there was this alt rock moment, just a really interesting time for very emotionally specific big music.
Speaker 1: Big music that you don't necessarily think of as like big tent, you know what I mean, Like these things would never fly today because it would be like, well, the alt rock is for this type of person, and the divas are for this type of person. Like the fact that that was like pretty ubiquitous and like welcoming for everyone, that like everyone could like find another phrase that we're using a lot of this episode way in with these albums makes me go, oh, that's what we're sort of losing with monoculture, which I dot we can debate with people whether or not like it still exists if it's just a different form. Yeah, But that's a great assessment about the music of the time.
Speaker 2: It's just interesting. Like I guess technically the Bodyguard album was released in ninety two, but it was the best selling album of ninety three of the guy. And if you talk about like what artists were really popular, it's Wynney Houston. Then there was Kenny g Eric Clapton, Janet Jackson, Billy Ray Cyris, doctor Dre Pearl, jam Garth Brooks, Don't Taple, Pilot Spin Doctors, like lots of variety here in what was happening, you know what I mean? Like there was music was interesting, obviously Liz fair b York's debut, but it was really it was an interesting time. But for me, I think if I was like fully activated gay guy at this time, I'm for sure only listening to the Bodyguard album. I mean like that to me activated gay guy. If I'm unactivated giy guy at the time, it's all about Whitney for me at this moment.
Speaker 1: I mean, how often do we do this as gay guys where we like time travel Like if I had gay guy taste, sensibility, whatever, what would I be doing.
Speaker 2: Traveling gay Guy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's kind of scary to think about because whatever I'm like still like on my Capodi kick, not necessarily with the show, but just like there's a great documentary on Hulu called the Capoti Tapes that I watched last night, and it is just like, God, it was pretty hard out there for us.
Speaker 2: Is that our show is our show like Kunk on Earth, but it's called time Traveling Gay Guy and we go back in time to different eras and like interview people of the time, Like, is that our show? Wait? Maybe that's maybe that's it time Traveling Gay Guy, And it's like you did you finish Kunk on Earth? Yes, I'm.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite. I think it's one of my favorite comedies in the last like three years.
Speaker 2: It is staggering how stupid stupid is like it's just so funny, like it never stops, like the jokes never stop, honestly, Like at a certain point you do need to take a break because you're just like it's now, the jokes are just they're coming too fast. Like I like a little overwhelmed.
Speaker 1: The way that pumped the jams thing like, oh.
Speaker 2: I love it, love it.
Speaker 1: Gets resort of remixed every episode. I'm like, this is crazy, Like it reminded me of like kill me, like money python stuff. But anyway, okay, biggest films of.
Speaker 2: The year, Yeah, Jurassic Park was the biggest movie of this year, missus doubtfire. This was a big Spielbergerie year, because yeah, he's got the number one commercial film of the year and the number one critical head of the year. He's got the biggest movie of the year and the Best Picture of winner, which were Jurassic Park and and you say versa tile My guy was topping and bottoming the industry. Oh he was topping.
Speaker 1: Us with How's he was topping us with Dassic Park and bottoming with Schindler's List.
Speaker 2: This doesn't necessarily feel right.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that, miss I think.
Speaker 2: Bottoming is so much more emotional than topping, like you're feeling so much that I do.
Speaker 1: Feel like and then a woman in a red dress comes out.
Speaker 2: I can't a little girl in a red dress?
Speaker 1: Please, Oh I'm sorry, let me take that.
Speaker 2: A woman in a red dress. No, don't let him have that. He's been a lot of edits out this episode. Woman in a red dress will stand.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it in a while.
Speaker 2: Me neither. I haven't seen it very long time. But Jurassic Park I've seen many times.
Speaker 1: Absolutely just an easier watch. I'd say The Fugitive is the number three highest grossing film of nineteen eighty three. That is a traumatizing film for me because that we watched that in Canada, in Montreal, there was a woman named Janine who is like the baby sitter and all the kids, all the kids, and then she was so cool, but she had like she was a childless woman who had a huge house, right, and so she her whole thing was like childcare. And she was this cool fucking woman in her fifties who lived with her husband, and like all the kids from the neighborhood would go to her house after school and like, you know, the parents would pay her, but she would just like put food out, put video games out, movies. We'd be downstairs and we would all just like hang out and it was like summer camp and like and one day we watched The Fugitive and it was so like when the wife dies, Yeah tough. I was just like, this is crazy. Also try traumatic. Thing from that basement where we would watch the movies was all The kids made fun of me because I pronounced Return of the Jedi and they said Jed and they laughed at me because I mispronounced Jedi, which is, by the way, a made up word. Thinks Jed is very chic.
Speaker 2: Did you hear that Daisy Ridley is returning to Star Wars to play the Ray.
Speaker 1: Ray Matt speaking French is so my favorite. You're oh Spanish? Okay, what else? Listen? Seattle, Philadelphia, the Pelican Brief. Oh my god, Julia coming in to this. But this is after Mystic Pizza. But this is Julia really becoming Julia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is Julia post Pretty Woman.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, that's right. I'm sorry I thought this was before Pretty Woman. Yes, this is after Mystic Pizza and Pretty Woman and still Magnolia's okay, so that she was Julie.
Speaker 2: Still Magnolia's was her first OSCAR nomination. Then came Pretty Woman. She was full of Julia at this point, but obviously like this was again it's her rising action peak, you know what I mean. It wasn't yet, it wasn't yet where it would go, but it was it was going. She was actuate.
Speaker 1: There we're going.
Speaker 2: But I do want to say just about Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: Yes, please.
Speaker 2: I always had the comment about Jurassic Park that like, I wanted to see more of the theme park in the movie. But I think that that was probably just me being stupid, and I think being a kid looking back, Jurassic Park, no notes, no notes, you did that thing.
Speaker 1: Oh you did that thing. You're not gonna be out here saying that you wished Jurassic Park was different. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: No, is there a favorite scene in Jurassic Park for you? Do you want to be a gay guy and say Laura during going through the poop?
Speaker 1: No, I was gonna say, I actually, and this is so stupid of me. I actually love when they're watching the cartoon talk about the Amber pre show, the pre show, because it makes you realize, like this movie is working on a lot of levels, like the science is actually kind of there, and they're like Steven Spielberg was like, no, we're spending time. Like Michael Crichton would have wanted this. We're spending or would want this he was still alive. Let's spend time on the science of this. Because then because remember like you know, middle school science class, like all the teachers being like in my school at least, like it would be like, you know, the science in Jurassic Park is actually our type. We could you know, grow dinosaurs if we wanted to blah blah blah blah blah blah. That was like the urban legend kind of scientifically, I think, being in middle school.
Speaker 2: At the time and just set this straight as the person here who's like.
Speaker 1: More, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna know.
Speaker 2: Can you do this? Can you do it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know, and you want.
Speaker 2: To No, oh, certainly not like whenever it comes to like, hey, we should do this, like I don't even think we should be in space. No, that we're not supposed to be there, Like I think we should be leaving things well enough alone. I think dinosaurs are gone for a reason. I think space you can't be up there for a reason. I think we need to stay out of the oceans. You know how I feel about this.
Speaker 1: I think that about being on a plane, I'm like, we're not supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be don't even get me started. Every single time you're on a plane, and remember you're on a hulking hunk of metal, and that doesn't feel right to me. No air travel does not feel right to me at all.
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 2: Boats feel insane to me.
Speaker 1: Boats I actually think are okay? How are boats okay for traversal? You're standing on something or you're sitting on something.
Speaker 2: We'll let me stand on business when I say that, you're way more endangered on a cruise ship boat than you are in the air. And I don't even like the air thing. But in the water, especially with the orc is acting up the way that they are, especially with what we know about sharks now, Honey, adibly dangerous.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying boats aren't dangerous. I'm saying being on a boat makes more sense to me. As like primitive animals like the cavemen might have built a boat. What I think maybe a person and Neanderthal might have tried to make a boat one day, girl, they never try to make a plane, you know what I mean? Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess so, But that doesn't mean that one is more above board than the other. I guess. My thing with being on the open water and then you know, they say we know less about the ocean than we do about the space space. For me, it's like if you're in the air, the only thing that can go wrong is the plane malfunctions, you know what I mean, Like, something goes wrong with the plane and it goes down. When you were on a boat on the water, million, literally you were a million things could happen. The boat could get fucked up, a wave could happen. There's no waves that could happen in the air. And then get into this likely if your plane goes down, you die pretty instantly. You may even die from shock before you even hit the ground. Like truly, on a boat, if that thing goes over, honey, you die in the water. You don't die because the boat capsize. You probably have to be swimming around for a while and then what now. I don't want people saying to me, Hey, that was messed up what you did on the last episode of lost culture restas because you conjured up images of tragedy, pain and death. No, but this is just the reality of the world. And guess what, if you're listening to this, you're gonna die one day too. Who knows how it will happen.
Speaker 1: Maybe on a boat.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you it's more likely that you die on a boat than you die on the air. Get over it?
Speaker 1: Okay, So okay, big news stories of ninety three. Isn't it interesting that so far the three years that we've drawn all inaugurations inauguration years.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Clinton started to be really.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I have on here at the Waco Siege Branch, Davidian Sleigh, what else, Space Shuttle Endeavor? Okay, amazing. The Brady Bill for guns, Oh my god, gun control? Remember gun control? I think that's it. Yeah, this was This year was really okay. I will say this year was the birth of my sister, Chelsea Ryan Rodgers. Oh my god, that's so nice.
Speaker 2: Chelsea Ryan Rodgers was born on January twenty fourth, nineteen ninety three. I won't say her real last name now because she has a new last name, and I will respect her.
Speaker 1: Congratulations Chelsea Nay Rogers.
Speaker 2: Chelsea was born when I was three years old, and I think I was a good big brother.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you were all Matt.
Speaker 2: I think I was brother.
Speaker 1: I was big bro for once now ninety three for me, I think we had moved from Kingston, Ontario to Quebec. We might, I know. I think we were still in Kingston, Ontario, town outside of Toronto. I was playing with pots and pans. That was my thing is at three years old, or between two and three, I was like, my mom would like lay out the pots and pants on the rug on the carpet in the living room, and I would just like pretend I was cooking.
Speaker 2: And did your mom at once she heard you playing with the pots and pants? Did she sort of run into your father's office and say, Rulin, Rulin, I think our child may have musical talent. And she said get out of here.
Speaker 1: She Oh my god, wait, were you there, bitch? That's exactly what happened. I was there, and then my sister all and then I sing all too well. At three, Now, where were you were on Long Island?
Speaker 2: I was on Long Island being three. I think me at three was probably a whole thing hmm. I can't say much about when I was three years old. We lived in West Babylon, New York. I wasn't in school yet. I probably was out. I was like an outdoor kid, but I'm only three here, so I don't know. I was having like a jamming out with Katrina like all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh guy, you guys hanging out? Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? And then I did ask like was I a good brother? Because that's something that's important to me nowadays. It's like, was I a good brother growing up? And all accounts are that I was a good brother. And then I wasn't like jealous that there was a new kid, because something you do hear, like new parents say, is like, oh, I have a three year old and there's a new baby, and it's like now it's getting a little contentious in the house. It's like or like something shifted. But luckily I can say at least my parents are protecting me enough to not tell me I was a nightmare. But I think I was good.
Speaker 1: I believe that.
Speaker 2: I do think that all people, including myself, are good at heart.
Speaker 1: I believe that too.
Speaker 2: Now. Chance the Rapper was born this year.
Speaker 1: Chance the Rapper was born this year.
Speaker 2: Debbie Ryan was born this year. Oh dad, I was born this year.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, ariana amazing, amazing year for birth. Wow, Ariana is younger than my little sister, and you're a big bro to her. I'm gonna have to treat Arian like little Cis Vibes, Little Cis Vibes. Ty Warner USA launch is the first Beanie Babies. Oh wow, this feels this was rising action to Beanie baby mania.
Speaker 2: On listen, listen to me right now. If you have a great idea, sometimes you gotta let it cook. Maybe maybe in three years it will be Beanie Baby.
Speaker 1: Oh this news is sad to me. You Cobbin and Yasir Arafat signed peace agreement on the White House lawn.
Speaker 2: Oh well, in the words of Charre Horowitz, I thought they declared peace in the Middle East.
Speaker 1: In the words now, let's see the EU farmer's protest. We all remember where we were, and that's basically, you know, it's kind of an interesting year. A peaceful year, definitely, peace was kind of interesting. If Israel and PLO signed a peace agreement, that's going to be a peaceful year. I'm okay, actually going to be a peaceful year.
Speaker 2: And now bowen. You know what I'm doing. Yeah, I'm going into the culture years.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, we're drawing another year, so exciting.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I'm picking it out. I'm feeling the energy. What is it going to be? The year is twenty thirteen?
Speaker 1: Twenty thirteen another inaugurate not an inauguration year, but another like post general election year.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, so what's going on here? There's a theme here, there's a theme of election. It's almost like it's almost think there's one looming.
Speaker 1: Oh oh oh, okay, twenty thirteen. Well we all hopefully you were born by then. Hopefully are no ten year olds listening to this podcast. Hopefully you're older.
Speaker 2: Than there is then holy shit, not beating those groomer allegations.
Speaker 1: Not batting the groomer allegations for gay guys.
Speaker 2: Well, isn't it scary to think even a ten year old could Because they have phones nowadays, they could be listening to this. We could be polluting our minds with things like Whitney Houston, Whitney Houston. True, we want I don't think, honey.
Speaker 1: Lets me want to I don't think, so, honey, do you have something I do? Okay, this is Matt Rodgers's I don't think so, honey. His time starts now.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, honey. The plot of Missus Doubtfire, okay, we're talking about here, I go liar. You're a liar. You're a liar, and female culture is not your costume, Robin Williams. And I don't like for one second that you lie to that woman and her family. I don't care what your intentions were. You're a liar, You're disgusting. You were a narcissist, Robin Williams. Missus Doubtfire is a disgusting display of narcissism. And just you know what, how about this. You want to get in good with your kids, start telling the truth, Start telling the truth. Okay. The way that you get it with the kids is not going to be dressing up as a full woman. And by the way, that was an offensive, the caricature of a woman, elderly woman. It was offensive, it was ages, it was sexist, and it was disgusting. And Sally Field, I'm with you when you said the whole time time because the answer is yes, that's what he's capable of. Do not get back together with this man. He's disgusting, toxic liar. I don't think so, honey. That's one minute. That is one of the best you've ever done. He was a disgusting, toxic liar period.
Speaker 1: You can't argue with that.
Speaker 2: It's really cult missus down fire. He was toxic liar lie Se number forty four, not beating the drag lying allegations. Oh my god, that gave Drag such a bad name. It really did.
Speaker 1: So upset. My day is ruined. I have one that I'm sorry. I have one that's slightly less spiery, but I think that's okay. I'm not gonna that's totally okay, me thinks, But I think people are going to relate.
Speaker 2: To this relatable king. This is Bowen Yang's I don't think so, honey. His time starts now.
Speaker 1: I don't think so many spiral notebooks, why are we still selling this shit? The rings get bent, the pages don't turn as good as when you buy it fresh off of the shelf. Okay, and ye, sometimes you try to fit a pencil in there or a pen in there and it falls out. The spiral doesn't work anymore, and depending on your handedness, every other page you're not gonna be able to write on it because guess what, the spiral is pressing. The spine of the spiral is pressing on your hand as you write. And then what does your hand do as you apply pressure onto the spiral. It warps the spiral. So therefore, I think we should abolish spiral. Abolished spiral notebook most importantly, But the spiral is also full of plastic probably, and we're done with that. We're done with plastic, and I think we just need to do traditional bound notebook at the spine and not make any innovations in this area.
Speaker 2: And that's one minute. So are you saying return to marble?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? No, I'm yeah, marble notebook is totally acceptable. Any notebook that had that like doesn't have to like fold in on itself. That is a gimmick that we no longer need, that we never needed in the first place.
Speaker 2: What I'm just looking over at my desk and I see I'm using a spiral notebook.
Speaker 1: And I need it a spiral notebook, and it's ruining my life. But I refuse to change.
Speaker 2: There is something to say about the fact that really what you have there in spiral notebooks is it's a weapon that can be used against you in your own home, because if someone were to come there and unspiral it, then what I have is a very dangerous, really metal wire.
Speaker 1: A wire, a device for harm to fight. Also, it makes the writing experience unpleasant.
Speaker 2: Produce re Becca says, spiral notebooks are disrespectful to the left handed community me.
Speaker 1: And the right handed community. Ps if you try to write on the opposite page. Mm wow, I hadn't even thought about that, That's what I'm saying. Oh, never mind, This is just no way around it, because I was gonna say around. You can flip it in and do it, but you'd still come up against want to know, because guess why you're turning your notebook up and down, up and down for every other page. Get them off the market now, I said.
Speaker 2: In j Lo out out spiral note spiral notebooks in Madam webb out, missus dat fire in Mandy Moore out Mandy Moore.
Speaker 1: Not being on the pod, not being on the pod. Ooh, I see what you did there.
Speaker 2: Well, this was a culturally ripe episode. There was so much to discuss, and really, what I have to say about this episode is Wow, the power of women.
Speaker 1: Wow, the power of women. It's going to be Women's History Month in March. Well, happy Pisce season, Everyone happy last season. The Piscians are pis seing Pisce sing.
Speaker 2: I have a feeling that I might cry every day this season.
Speaker 1: You should, but not in.
Speaker 2: A pejorative way. In a way where I reclaim my tears.
Speaker 1: This is Me now, this is you now, And if you're listening to this. On February twenty first, twenty twenty four, the Moon enters, Leo and Venus can joins Mars. Relationships gain a little sizzle, and creativity gets more muscle, artistry and willpower are a match made in heaven. Now. Thank you, Chenny Nicholas.
Speaker 2: Yes, she posted a really good piece season debut.
Speaker 1: She always do.
Speaker 2: We end every episode with the song.
Speaker 1: This is Me Now, This is Me Now.
Speaker 2: To hear more of that, watch the Prime original This is Me Now, starring Jennifer Lopez.
Speaker 1: Bye Bye,