Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: This podcast contained spoilers for ant Man, ant Man in the Wasp, plus Captain America, Civil War, Avengers in game, and basically anything that the character Scott Lang has been in in the MCU, plus a tiny, tiny, tiny, teeny tiny spoiler for thor Love and Thutter.
Speaker 1: Hello. My name is Jason Concepcion.
Speaker 2: And I'm Rosy Night, and welcome to x ray Vision, the crooked media podcast where we dive deep for dear favorite.
Speaker 1: Shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 3: In this episode, we got a whole bunch of stuff to dig into on the previously honest all those super Bowl trailers ND five, Oh yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy three, and our first look at the Flash. So that's a lot to talk about. In the airlock, it's the ant Man Prime. Everything you need to know from the comics and the movies for ant Man, Anderwass, Quantumania, and in nerd Out is from our listener, Scott on the cult classic TV show twin Peaks a real just obviously like a full blown classic there and if.
Speaker 2: You want to jump around check the show notes for the time stance. We understand that some of you might have might be having some issues with the timestamps not being accurate due to the reasons that they're too complicated for us to get into right now above our payger, which is to say, is we're looking into it up next.
Speaker 1: Previously on.
Speaker 2: First Up Super Bowl trailers.
Speaker 1: First of all, a thing we were.
Speaker 2: Talking about in prepro that's worth mentioning is the media companies and studios continue to react to the pressure of falling stock prices and potentially the popping of the streaming bubble, and it seems like everybody bought the fifteen what is it, the.
Speaker 3: Fifteen second it depended.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brought the bought the fifteen to thirty second trailer slot, not the full minute, and then pointed everyone too, Yeah, go online.
Speaker 1: It's on YouTube now.
Speaker 3: It's on Instagram on socials.
Speaker 2: Which is smart because they make the add money off of their own YouTube, So why why not do that? First up, Indiana Jones in The Dial of Destiny, directed by James Man, starring Harrison.
Speaker 1: Ford back again, He's back.
Speaker 2: Phoebe waller Bridge Indy's granddaughter.
Speaker 1: No, INDI's goddaughter.
Speaker 3: Excuse twist could be twist.
Speaker 2: You never know, John Rees Davies, Seanette Renee Wilson and more and more and more, so many names.
Speaker 1: First of all, I want to be de aged one day.
Speaker 3: I believe, I believe in you. We can do. We'll be doing doing something in like eight years. And now dage us to talk about when we were on the podcast.
Speaker 2: So we're also watching Shrinking in this household, the Apple TV Plus show starring Harrison Ford as a therapist who has Parkinson's and he looks approximately fifty million years.
Speaker 1: Older in that he does this movie.
Speaker 2: And so kudo's kudos this movie.
Speaker 1: It looks this listen, I'll see it. It looks fun. Yeah, let's go.
Speaker 3: It looks fun. John Williams, We're not going to get much more music from John Williams, so I'm taking it. So John Williams score. I love Mads Michaelson. He was basically born to play like a Nazi in an Indiana Jones movie. So good for him. Hope that leads to some more Disney approved performances. I would like to see him appear in the MCU more often as different characters. So yeah, it looks fun.
Speaker 2: Steven Spielberger chots to Stephen Spielberg for just collecting a check for doing nothing for just kind of also making the fablements and collecting.
Speaker 3: James Mangold, he's doing this movie. Let's see what he does with a weird supernatural type adventure, because that's probably what we're gonna need to see in Swamp Thing too, So it's a nice thing to see. I'm very interested. I'm a big lover of the original Indiana Jones movies, Crystal Skull. I don't love it so much, but I love some parts of that. You know, there's there's fun to be had, so I'm hoping this is more like you know, the originals, and it will be interesting to see. I do believe that the Requell can be done well. I was a huge fan of the you know, Force Awakens Last Jedi, so I believe it can be done. I'm interested to see it. What does this trailer show us that's new?
Speaker 1: Not much, not much, not much.
Speaker 2: I will say I'm very happy to see them refocusing Indie on fighting Nazis, something he's great at, and and kind of steer him away for something else that he's also great at, which is stealing the cultural heritage, yes of various peoples across thank you, so that he could put them in a museum animals.
Speaker 3: That no one's ever gonna see them in. I mean, either way bad. I still I know I've told about it before. I still live for the Twitter created Oscar Isaac Indiana Jones reboot while he's stealing things back from museums. I would love to see it. But you know what Indy focus on beating up nazis that's a message that you don't need right now. Proud of you to keep going.
Speaker 2: Up next Guardians of the Galaxy three, releasing May fifth, twenty twenty three. It was so interesting that James Gunn had more Marvel stuff, you know, really than DC stuff. He directed and written by James Gunn, his last official Marvel movie Property, starring all our favorites back again and adding Chuck Woody Wouji Yes, the High Evolutionary. Not to mention Will Poulter as Adam Warlock, potentially opening the door to a Rosie favorite.
Speaker 3: It's true, look and be real. Okay, will she be there? I thought maybe they would put it in the trailer. No, I think it's more likely we might see Bova on Counter Earth or wherever they end up. But I will say, if you are a fan of the Marvel Cosmic, you are going to be eating well when you watch this movie, You're gonna be feasting to see Adam Warlock on the screen. I feel like that is something. Even in the world where Jim Stalin's Danos is one of the biggest villains in the MCU, I did not expect to see an Adam Warlock. I love Will Poulter. He's brilliant in Midsummer. He was brilliant in his the interactive episode of Black Mirror on Netflix, which is just so interesting, and I would love to see where this is gonna go. I am excited. I will not hold my breath for Bova, but I will scream in the screening if she's there, like I did for Mount Wondergre, And now I have a bow tattoo so no one can question my dedication.
Speaker 2: So this feels like in the trailer, Drax appears to be suffering from some sort of malady. Now, in the comics, Drax was created as a super weapon specifically designed to kill fans. I wonder if they're bringing in that kind of super weapon thing into the movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that Drax.
Speaker 2: Because I Batista has said this is his last outing as Drax, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Drats die here. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw any of them Pratt as Starlard die here. But it feels like there's they're gonna find a way for Dras to get on the Viking funeral boat and sail off.
Speaker 3: It feels like it. And you know what, Dave's ready, He said, why aren't I? Why isn't anyone costing me in rom coms? The world needs to know I'm ready for the Dave Batista roamkom So I'm happy for him. You know, Drax, I feel like he made that character into something so brilliant and accessible and funny. But he spoke about it not necessarily being like the deepest role for him, So I think you're right. I think we could see something like that. The trailer is very heavy handed on it being the end of the road and facing the music since you've been gone, you know, there's kind of playing on this idea of Quill and Gomorah and their new relationship posts you know, the events of endgame. So I think if you're a big Guardians fan, you're going to get a lot of not fan service, but a lot of payoff on these relationships that you care about. I'm most interested to know whether this is like a real ending of the Guardians of the Galaxy, or if they're essentially clearing the way of this team, because in the comics, Guardians like many teams. There's been so many and I think once you introduce High Evolutionary, once you introduce Adam Warlock, you're getting more into the Marvel Cosmic, You're getting into the Infinity Watch, You're getting into that kind of stuff. So I think we could see a different Guardians team, but I think this is the end of this Guardian's team. I think this is going to be a very emotional movie about Rocket. That seems to be kind of the heart of the film. We see him talking about, you know, the higher Evolutionary who wants to like make the world better. But then Rockett kind of says, in this really great, very James gun line is like he didn't want to make things perfect. He just hated things away there, and I thought that was like really powerful. It looks like we're going to get some kind of flashback to what we all assumed, which was that in the MCU, Rocket was created by the higher evolutionary and was one of his earlier experiments, So yeah, it's going to be interesting. Rocket seems to have a cute Otter friend, partner, lover, buddy, sibling. We don't know, but it looks cute. And Will Potter's looking like they painted him gold with face paint, and I'm obsessed that that is the route that they went. I'm a big fan, So yeah, it looks looks good. I'm excited. I'm intrigued to see where it goes. Will Bover be in it? I can only dream.
Speaker 2: Did you did you notice Nebula's blade hand? She got some upgrades in the time ark.
Speaker 3: I have to say, if there's one character that I want to see stick around in the MCU from this team, it's Nebula. I think the arc that they gave her is just so brilliant. And in the comics, you know, Nebula is Thanos's granddaughter and she is the one that Thanos kills in order to get the gem, and I just think there's so much ripeness that they've kind of left to expand and explore with this character by not having her take that role and having more take that role. So I'd love to see Nebula stick around. I think Karen does such a good job and I like this kind of idea of her as like a core ever evolving cyborg, which they kind of play into in the way Thanos was torturing her, but then to get to see her grow. Also, look, I know we've been saying it, and I'm going to say it again. Adam Warlock turning up, it really is hinting that Thanos might come back, so having some con I think at some point he'll come back. Will it be in ten years, will it be in fifteen years, will it be in twenty But he is going to come back at some point. There's multiple Thanoses in Jim stylin hilarious Cannon that he has managed to create. Whenever he comes back. There's like many many clones of Thanos and as they even played with the idea and endgame where we saw the you know, the earlier version of Thanos. So I think that we shouldn't necessarily put that way, especially with star Fox showing up with Pip the Troll. These are cosmic characters who are very deeply connected to Thanos. So yeah, I would like to see it. I love I love seeing Nebula. I think she's probably Her and Rocket are probably my favorite characters from the Guardians.
Speaker 1: I mean, I.
Speaker 2: Wonder if off our previous conversation about tracks in the comics being created as like this kind of super weapon designed just to kill Thanos. I wonder if the High Evolutionary has some Thanos DNA and he's making stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's actually such a good call, especially because, like we said, there's multiple versions of Thanos. You could go back through time, you know, you could just go and pick up his head that they chopped off while he was just trying to make some horridge, a very disrespectful thing that he was just trying to eat some nice food, trying to retire, and they chopped off his head. I didn't see what they did with that head. The High Evolutionary could have gone there and got that head. I think that's a very very good call, especially because the way that they played with that aspect of Drax in the movie was that Dana said killed his family, so he wanted to kill them. Maybe he was kind of this killing machine but in an emotional way, so that would be really interesting. Also, you know, there's always a chance that Drax is someone who the Higher Evolutionary has come into contact with before and created that weapon himself. You know, I think we're going to find out that the higher evolutionary. I don't think he's going to be like a Kang level puppet master, but I wouldn't be surprised if they find ways to connect him to other characters that aren't just Rocket.
Speaker 2: Who is in the second version of the Guardians team. If we can indeed say that we're not already in a second version of the Guardians team, since Nebula is on the team now and I guess Thor was with them for a little while. Well, who will be in the post I'm just assuming post Quill, post Dras. I think Nebula will.
Speaker 1: Still be there.
Speaker 3: I love see.
Speaker 2: I think that Gomorra will still be there. I think Dras will be gone. I am hoping Rocket will still be there, but you never know. Adam Warlock, Yeah, I think I think some.
Speaker 3: Crossover also, if we were going to see like a Nova, that would be a good place for him to go. You know, we've we've been talking about that Nova movie bringing in Nova. We know that the Marvels is going to be playing with the Cree war stuff, So I think we can see that as a place that he would be introduced. I mean, look, this is a character we've talked about a lot because we've been interested in seeing them come. But like Moondragon, that was a character we were.
Speaker 1: Talking about, I mean Drax's daughter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that is a character we were talking about a lot during one division. That definitely feels like something. And I think the idea of using the team names kind of how everyone expected them to do with Avengers but they never really landed on Guardians could be an interesting secondary space for that. Also, the real truth is that Guardians had so many members and really the team that we have is not even it's not even really like akin to the teams. I mean there's a Guardians team that has like yellowjacket.
Speaker 1: Yes, I bet you, I bet you. One of the scrolls from Secret Invasion goes to space.
Speaker 3: Oh. I could definitely say I really thought we were gonna get that, like as Guardians of the Galaxy, like the But you know what, as well, you know you could have someone like Cosmo, who we know is gonna play a role in this. They were he was actually like or she depending on the cannon was actually like in the team in the comics, Like we could have a Cosmo that would be so cool. I mean, there's a version that has Carol Danvers in it as Captain Martha, right, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Think she's probably a little too high power.
Speaker 3: I think so too. But maybe there's a version where Monica Rambo ends up in there that I would.
Speaker 1: Love to see her Nager's team.
Speaker 3: You know, there's just a lot of fun stuff. I mean, we're getting kind of into characters they don't have, but there is just so much space you have, like Cosmic ghost Rider, that thing's been in there, Kyried. I just think this is a team they're probably gonna keep around. I mean, heck, we saw you know, Brett Goldstein as Hercules, and there was a version where Hercules was in it. So I just think there's like a lot of fun that could be had with this team. So don't expect them to disappear. But I think you can expect to say goodbye to the majority of this team. But I think you're right, Themora and Nebula, that's probably your sticking around with maybe Groot, but.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, we gotta have Groot in there forever. Okay, next up here it is, folks, you've been waiting for this one. The Flash, releasing June sixteenth, directed by Andy Muscetti, written by Christina Hodson, starring Ezra Miller's Barry Allen, Sasha Cali is or l Michael Shannon his back is general Sah.
Speaker 3: That was for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was big, I think, a big surprise.
Speaker 2: And Michael Keaton as Batmanman which one?
Speaker 3: Which one?
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 2: So this is this is, you know, a direct adaptation of The Cross, a d C crossover revent flashpoint that essentially ended the DC universe ahead of the new fifty two relaunch, which is a super cool crossover, certainly one of the most fun ones they've done in recent times.
Speaker 3: It was a huge event. It's kind of hard to like overstate it was how much of a big deal it was at the time. And it was Jeff John's it was Andy Cube, I mean the cub It's like comic book Royalty, So yeah, it was. It was a huge thing. And basically it essentially like.
Speaker 1: Set was the Crisis of its day.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and it set everything off into like a much worse world. That's like the main thing to say, like before New fifty two Flashpoint actually happened, the universe was so much darker. Everything was bad. We will get to that when we talk about Keaton. But yeah, I didn't realize i'd kind of somehow slip my mind through all of this like that. It was written by Christina Hodson, who I love, who wrote Birds of Prey, so that is kind of exciting to me. I'm trying to focus on the positives. Obviously, we've talked a lot about Ezra and their troubles, and I do still I don't necessarily think this is the most I'm not necessarily sure if there is a good way of releasing this movie at this point, but you know what it is out there, So yeah, Christina Hodson, I think that's great. I love Kirsey Clemens. I thought that was such a great Iris westcasting, and she did not get her due in the Snyder cut release that we got, so I would love to see that explored more. I was very excited to see Sasha as Kara. I think there's a big chance that from what we see in this trailer, that will be the Kara who goes on to the Guniverse.
Speaker 2: Right, So in flash Point. We wouldn't do this without spoiling anything in case you want to go back and read Flashpoint on your DC.
Speaker 3: University, any library.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Barry Allen wakes up one day and there are no superheroes aka meta humans, and his mom, who had previously died in his world, is alive and he has to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: He meets a different version of himself.
Speaker 2: He realizes that he fucked something up and he created a world where there are no superheroes.
Speaker 1: All this is in the.
Speaker 2: Trailer, and then he has to team up with this kind of ragtag alt versions of characters in order to kind of put things back the way they were. Uh, and he's sort of successful and it's super fun. Now in Flashpoint, Barry does team up with the reverse version of himself and Batman, but the Batman in the flashment Now, I guess this is kind of a spoiler, but not really.
Speaker 3: This is a this is a light context spoilers interesting and also now like over ten year old comics, But you know what, it's a really outrageous choice that I've been waiting for them to do for a long time.
Speaker 2: So yes, So in the comics, the Batman that Barry Allen teams up with is Thomas Wayne Bruce's dad, not Bruce, So begging the question is Michael Keaton playing Bruce or Tomas exactly?
Speaker 3: Because and the thing is about Thomas, the Thomas Wayne Batman is he is incredibly brutal or he kills He's kill every traumatized by what happened because in that universe that Barry created, basically the in the night in Crime Alley, it was Bruce who died and his parents survived, and that ruined Thomas's life, and that drove Thomas to become the butt. I think it is probably a safe bet to guess that there is a fifty to fifty chance that he is gonna be Thomas Wayne, not Bruce. I would love it. I would love it to be like our Keaton verse, like suave. But he looked a bit rough and ready in the trailer. He kind of looks tired, he looks angry. Every Batman is apparently annoyed by the flash, so that continues.
Speaker 2: The action is like there's that shot of him dropping down onto some baddies and just cleaning up, and yes, we are talking about a Batman movie. Michael Keaton's Batman movie that came out in like nineteen eighty nine and had a different I.
Speaker 3: Was gonna say, guy, he loves uns. He shoots people all the time in that movie, so it wouldn't be too far off.
Speaker 2: But this felt it is possible. It feels to me very possible that it.
Speaker 3: Definitely could be possible. I also thought it was cool that like the version of Kara that we see in this. So there was a lot of there's been obviously a lot of rumors surrounding this movie, and there was a lot of talk about then this was public that Andy Mischee, the director, shared about casting Supergirl and how there was going to be a young Justice League that was kind of led by the Supergirl and you know, Michael Keaton was originally going to be in the Batgirl movie, and there was kind of this idea that that would be the new World's Finest, you know, but we do get to see Sasha here a Supergirl. I thought the Supergirl look was really cool. I thought the suit was nice, and they kind of do this cool thing where they reflect Kara being in prison just like Clark was in the Flashpoint comic. So she is our Superman here She's our Kryptonian, and I'm very interested to see it looks cool. I think, like I was saying, I think we can assume from that kind of rough, gritty story that they're giving her here, it will be that would fit very well into the Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow story based on the Tom King bilkis Everlely comic that we were talking about that James Gun's going to announce. So she is a I think a top contender to come over to I agree also interestingly, so James said. James Gunn said, this is the Reset movie, and everything afterwards ties in so often this you're gonna have blueby or, but we've heard rumor has it. Also, I think it was maybe even confirmed that Michael Keaton is gonna be in Aquaman two, and Aquaman two does directly connect to James Gun's universe. So I'm very interested to see what happens there. That's these are the questions I need to answered.
Speaker 2: We should add that we had, you know, one of our predictions, and honestly a pretty pretty straight line supposition that we've drawn on this podcast is that much like the Flashpoint event in the comics, this movie will essentially kill off the Snyder verse version of the DCU and then move towards we'd just call it James Gun's New fifty two or whatever, you know, the James Gun era. It's pretty clear before that pivot was kind of grafted onto this movie that this was going to just kind of tie together all the disparate DCU stuff that already was out there, including a significant amount of you know, Snyder directed and creatively informed projects. But it does feel like they're going to move into a new one. I think so kind of paradigm after this because I was.
Speaker 3: Very interested to see Zod here, right. That wasn't something I'd heard about. It wasn't something I was expecting, And I would assume that because there's no meta humans in this world, no one could stop Zod's invasion that, you know, Henry Carville Superman stopped in Man of Steel by murdering Zod. Shocking, shocking thing that happens spoiler a lot. But yeah, So I think that's very interesting because you're also already basically essentially creating a world without Superman, which I think is really interesting and sets up a new space for this young Superman movie that they want to do. That's probably going to be more of a classical Superman or star Superman, this kind of idea of a hopeful Superman, a Superman who wouldn't snap someone's neck, even if it would maybe save the world. So, yeah, it's very interesting it's coming out.
Speaker 1: I guess that's I mean, well, here's the other thing.
Speaker 2: I think that part of this obviously you never know, but I think that part of this new fifty two style reboot that they're going to do after a flashpoint, my guess is it will include Barry Allen exiting stage left and Wally West and during stage.
Speaker 3: That's how it feels. I have to say, my greatest hope for this movie was that we would get a kind of very quick Oh no, Barry Allen is lost in the Speed Force. Here's Wally West. Like the Wally casting in the CW is super great. You know, Kenyan Lonsdale was just absolutely terrific in that role.
Speaker 2: So we cannot forget that the CW did flash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've done. It happened, but I was hoping for that. I think that would have been the I think there is a more holistic, sustainable, like realistic about the troubles that have happened to do with this movie. But you know what, this is not going to happen. But I do think you're right. I think that an outcome of this movie may well be Flash Barry Allen, You're into the Speed Force, my friend, and then Rolly West, Oh, you're out of the Speed Force. Nice to see you. You've come from the future, You've come from the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean he's already interacting with in the trailer. Yeah, at least one the reverse Flash one version of himself, and he will likely interact with more.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think it's an easy way to just be like, oh, who are you. My name's Wally, I'm from another dimensional.
Speaker 3: You know what I have to say. Okay, just because I just have to say this, I'm not going to do any spoilers, but if you if you do, if you are interested in The Flash, and you like the Flash and you like DC comics, the first episode of the last season of The Flash, it's very CuW. Don't be surprised. But I had to watch it because the end of it is absolutely insane and introduces like the craziest deep cut but new character from Dark Knights Metal and it's just absolutely bonkers and everyone should go and watch it, because when it happened at the end, I was like, this is not real, but this is happening. So there's just a fun aside. Go watch it on the CW app, get prepared for your flash experiences, and learn about a new scary reverse flash. But yeah, I think you're right, there's gonna be multiple flashes. I wasn't prepared for the fact that we were going to be seeing like multiple Ezras. I kind of didn't really consider how focused this film would be on them and on their version of Barry. But you know what I would. It's coming out and there's things to talk about, and hopefully they are getting the help they need and sew are the people around them that they have hurt. And I hope that there is a good side of the corporate kind of conversation they're having about Ezra's getting help. I hope that expands to the people to Ezra hurt too, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, completely, I wholeheartedly agree.
Speaker 2: Up next the air Lock, Well, we're stepping out of the airlock and onto the streets of San Francisco to give you a primer on Scott Lang's ant Man The Quantum Realm, the microverse, Kang and he who remains before the release of ant Man and the Loss Quantumty on February seveneenth. We're going to tell you about the history of ant Man the Suit throughout the MCU up to where we are right now in the movies, including some explainers based on the comic histories of the people's places and things that are interacting with ant Man, Scott Lang and Henry Pim.
Speaker 1: Let's start with ant Man in the comics. Rosie tell us some history about this character.
Speaker 3: Cool so Aman in the comics. We all know in the MCU that the first ant Man that we properly met with Scott Lang, but in the comics it was Hank Pim, first debuted in nineteen sixty one's tell Us to Astonish twenty seven, created by Stanley his brother Larry Lieber, who drew the longtime syndicated Spider Man comic, and Jack Kirby. Of course, but Hank is one of those really funny characters where there's like fifteen different first appearances because he's had so many different characters, so they decided to retroactively reveal he'd actually been in Strange Tales a year before but if you're talking about him in his ant Man suit, that we know that was tells to Astonish thirty five put on that suit and kind of never went back at Man, became a prestige hero. There's lots of funny adventures. He's psychically controlling ants, He's fighting Loki with ants, and hilariously Hank's It's really interesting that we never got a Hank on the Avengers because Hank has been on so many Avengers Teams, Avengers AI, Secret Avengers, Black Ops Unit, Might Avengers, Grandpa the Time Displaced Avengers, and he was even on the Illuminati. So this is like a legit Marvel heavyweight. He he popped on made an appearance. But this is a man who, like has been a store war MCU character. But maybe one of the reasons that he wasn't the first choice to be the main ant Man is a because he is an older hero. You know, this is someone from the sixties, so it makes sense that the MCU wanted to give their heroes a lineage in legacy, but also throughout the comics, he has had a troubled past, a spy past of treating people badly, which will kind of get to when we talk about another one of A heroes. But that's our first ant Man. It was Hank Pim.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about ant Man and the MCU. So the story of ant Man in the MCU, the ant Man identity begins with Hank Pim a brilliant, energetic and arrogant but you know, one might say fairly so, young scientist. Dates are kind of fuzzy for a lot of stuff in the MCU, but when we have specific dates will tell you. But sometime in the late sixties to early seventies, Pim made the physics discovery of a lifetime. The particles he discovered, which he named after himself, allowed him to shrink or grow matter to mind blowing scales. Pim developed a suit, the ant Man Suit, and as a member of Shield, took part in secret missions that spanned the globe. At the same time, Pim had developed a technology that allowed him to communicate and control ants, and these ants often became his teammates in these various secret missions that he underwent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love the ant powers are like some of the best kind of funny Hank Pim series, Like he will use the ants and we get to see that a little bit in them, which I really love, especially Scott loves to have a giant size aunt as a friend.
Speaker 1: Is fun.
Speaker 3: It's a really, really good stuff.
Speaker 2: By nineteen seventy, PIM was working out of the Secret Shield Lab at Camp Lee High in New Jersey. You might remember this military base is the place that Steve Rogers underwent training to become Captain America. It's also where by nineteen seventy, the Testa Act aka the Minstone was being studied, and as the seventies stretch of the eighties, PIM was collaborating with another brilliant scientist, doctor Bill Foster, on an interdimensional transportation device that would, in theory, allow access to a sub atomic realm, which they named the quantum Realm. The project stalled out because Hank Pim is a fucking asshole literally.
Speaker 3: And that is comic book canon, comic fucking essus.
Speaker 1: He's a fucking dick. He and Bill Foster just could not get along enough.
Speaker 3: And guess what, so, Bill Foster. That was like such a massive moment for Marvel fans and Amman fans because he is like a key part of the law.
Speaker 1: He Bill Fosters are very important.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a very important character first arrived in Avenge thirty two in nineteen sixty six, another Stanley creation, this time with Don heck Like. He was a signist from What's Los Angeles, like how many superheroes come from What's and he was hired by Tony Stark, which you will see as a trend of ant Man characters actually eventually end up working alongside Hank Pim, and Foster ended up kind of show showing that he was the better scientist. He helped Pim reconfigure his formula after Pim got stuck at like ten feet he was trying to be giant man, he got stuck at like ten foot tall. Foster helped Pim sort that out, and he would later on duplicate the Pim particles to create his own powers, which he managed to do without Hank's help, and that was how he became Goliath. And he's just such a rad character. But guess what. He stopped working with Hank in the comics because Hank sucks and they fell out and they had a beef, and then he didn't work with him anymore. So that is comic book Cannon.
Speaker 2: And then he got killed in Civil War rudely rude.
Speaker 3: And the next up is one of my favorite characters ever, someone that I felt was not getting hurt jew in the MCU, But I feel like they're kind of changing that now, which is Janet vandy In aka the Original Wasp.
Speaker 1: She's founding the Great Leaders of the Avengers.
Speaker 3: Not only that founding member, also she was the one who came up with the name in the last panel of the first issue of The Avengers. She is the one who said, that's our name, baby, the Avengers. She called them that, you know. She was another Tales to Astonished character came out in sixty threes, Tales to Astonish forty four Stanley Ernest Hart and of course Jack Kirby. One of my favorite things about the LOSP was she's like a fashion designer and an inventor. And her relationship with Hank Pim as we kind of mentioned, like that was his wife, that was his teammate. But Hank is abusive in some comics. He had addiction problems, he had problems with his ego, So that's kind of a struggle, which I understand why they didn't necessarily want to dig into it, but I do think it's important to mention, like Janet was the first woman on the Avengers, a leader of the Avengers. She is a big part of why Moniker is on the event. I just think she's incredible, and I'm really glad that Michelle Fiffe is playing at because she is an icon and fantastic.
Speaker 1: She's so good, fantastic.
Speaker 3: I was really happy when the second movie dug more into Janet and her kind of impact. I'll be very interested to see when we go and see Quantumania to Night, I will be interested to see how much of Janet story they build in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, by the eighties in the MCU, Hank was teaming up with his by now wife, We assume Janet van Dyne aka the Wasp, who was doing missions right beside Hank in a suit that Hank also designed, the Wasp suit, and in nineteen eighty seven, Hank and Janet were on a shield operation to stop a Soviet missile launch. The mission was a success, but Janet, who shrunk to sub atomic size to get inside the weapons casing and disrupt the missile so it wouldn't hit its target, was lost forever, it was thought forever. In the Quantum Realm, Hank and Janet's daughter Hope would then have to live the rest of their lives without their mother, they thought, and this was especially traumatic for Hope, whose last memories of her mom are a precious thing to her, as we saw in the first ant Man movie. Now, Pim had always done things his own way within Shield uh and this was mainly because he did not trust Shield with his technology. He never he did missions himself because he didn't want anybody touching PIM particles, being involved with PIM particles who he could not control. Now it turns out Hank was right about that Shield also because Shield.
Speaker 1: He turns out he was right because Shield was actually a hydra A.
Speaker 3: Sorry, like he was right. And guess what they were trying to steal his ship, just like they everyone shit were so you know what he does suck, But he was right, He was right with this.
Speaker 2: He now PIM would about a couple of years after the fateful mission to stop the Russian missile, Pim would quit Shield in a rage when.
Speaker 1: He discovered that Shield very shadily was.
Speaker 2: Trying to recreate his PIM technology without involving Hank and without him knowing. After Shield, Pim founded PIM Technologies in the Bay Area which is a company that researched and produced consumer grade nanotechnology, the kind of nanotechnology that you would use in the medical field to improve people's lives. In twenty fifteen, a fellow named Scott Lang, an engineer turned thief, was released from prison. Scott spent the next few months trying to get his life on track. He worked at a basket Robbins, among many other faithful attempts at getting a job, and attempted to rebuild his relationship with his young daughter Cassie, who who's you know, a majority of his of her life he had missed while he was in prison. Frustrated and struggling financially, Scott gets roped into a heist job and the target turns out to be some rich guy's house where there's a safe, and inside the safe there's this like weird motorcycle looking suit plus a funky metal helmet that could have been it turns.
Speaker 1: Out it's the airman's suit Rosy shocking.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we met him in the MCU, like we were saying, as the first kind of ant man that we really got to know. But Scot actually didn't debut until like a decade plus and over one hundred and eighty issues of Avengers after his counterparts in nineteen seventy nine Avengers one hundred and eighty one, created by David Mikkeliney, Bob Layton, and John Byrne. And just like the movies, he's a reformed thief and a kind of electronics expert and he kind of gets on the straight and narrow by being hired by Tony Stark. He's quite generous guy in the comics Old Stark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tony Stark people high needs.
Speaker 3: He needs people to hire, he needs works and.
Speaker 2: Should add kind of a big deal because throughout this period of Tony Stark's comics history, this guy's business was like on the verge of failure all the time. Actually he was very, very rich, but but the business was always like almost going out of helas or gonna be taken over by Stayin International.
Speaker 3: And also, I will just say, unlike the MCU Tony Stark in the comics, Tony Stark did pay the Avengers, so he was also paying the Avengers and his business was going broke tough times. But yeah, Scotland's actually very I feel like he is one of the most comic book canonically like correct characters that we've gotten in the MC very dedicated to his daughter Cassie, who also like came around in the same year as Scott as part of this redemption arc that he kind of was going on. And it's interesting because, like in the movies, something I always find funny, I was rewatching Civil War recently, and it's so fun when he gets bought onto that Avengers team, the kind of team cauch He's so desperate, he loves it, he wants to be and then you know, he ends up really something that I saw that was really interesting when I was watching the Quantumania premiere was that it was it was Paul Rudd who really wanted Scott to go into the Quantum Realm, and it was him who suggested this idea of the end of the first movie him going in, and it was him who kind of really wanted that to be a part of the way that they saved the world in Endgame. So I love that he is so passionate about the character. And it's really interesting because he's still on the outskirts of the Avengers team in the movies, but in the comics he's been in the Avengers fantastic for and Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe he'll be in that Guardian's team. Maybe it will be Maybe it's Scott Steam So who.
Speaker 2: Hired Scott's friends to rob this house where the ant Man suit was stored. It is none other than Hank Pim, who hand picked Scott to be his successor. Hank and Hope then spend some time training up Scott and we get there's some fun moments where he learns to control the ants and he learns to dive through a keyhole and fast movie.
Speaker 1: Yes is so fun.
Speaker 2: And after all that, his final test in the field is to break in to the Avengers facility in upstate New York, where he comes to blows with the Falcon. Hank and Hope after this, then give Scott his real mission, break into PIM Technology's corporate lab to steal the knock off pim Tech that Hank's former protege, Darren Cross, has been working on and hopes to sell to the highest bidder. Scott succeeds, but it's very messy, and in his final showdown with Cross, Scott, like Janet van Dine before him, sinks down, shrinks down to sub atomic level in order to mess with Ross's yellow.
Speaker 1: Jacket suit from the inside.
Speaker 2: Cross then disappears into a portal and is gone we think for good.
Speaker 1: Is he dead? We don't know where he went at that time.
Speaker 2: Scott then floats into the strange and wonderful Quantum Realm. Unlike Janet Vandyne, however, Scott is able to escape and return to his family and his new on again, off again We don't know what their situation is now Hope Vandyne. Some time later, as Rosie mentioned, during the events of Civil War, Scott is recruited by Team Captain America. He takes part in the fight against Iron Man's Proscovia Accords side at the airport.
Speaker 1: In Germany at the time.
Speaker 2: It is shortly thereafter arrested same Scott then strikes a deal with the DOJ.
Speaker 1: He gets two years of house arrest. Not bad.
Speaker 2: And at the same time, Hank and Hope are building a quantum tunnel in hopes of rescuing Janet, who they believe to be alive in the quantum room. They kidnap Scott get him involved in a scheme to help Hope acquire the components which Hank me is to complete the tunnel. At which they managed to do, and using the device as a conduit, they confirm that Janet is indeed alive because she then takes control of Scott's body for a short period of time. Later, after all the high jinks with Ghost and the kind of reckoning with the trauma of Hank's relationship with Bill Foster which we don't have time to get into, Scott in order to help Ava, who we know as Ghost, who due to the quantum tunelling effect, was left in a state of between phase like a dephased matter. Scott then enters a mobile version of the quantum Tunnel, which is housed incongruously in his friend liss Van.
Speaker 1: And it is this.
Speaker 2: Attempt to help Ava aka Ghost by bringing back some quantum particles from the quantum realm, which causes Scott to be trapped in the quantum realm, and he is trapped there for a number of years until he misses Sanos's invasion, misses the Snap, and misses all of this, and when he emerges in the year twenty twenty three, he discovers that his daughter Cassie survived Tanis's Snap and is now a grown teenager.
Speaker 3: He missed a lot of time, and that that stinger from the End of A Man and the Wasp is so great. When he's in there, he's bantering away and then we just see Janet and Hope and Hank and they all get dusted and we all know what it means. And Scott's just in there, trapped in the quantum round Chaptain Louis van good old Lewis I hope he's heir. I hope you say this time.
Speaker 1: I would be sad to see an effect he has had.
Speaker 3: On him. Open the movie with one of his famous monologues, explaining everything that ever happened in the MCU. We need to see it, we need to see it. So Cassie survived. We got the first version of Cassie. Then Cassie was recast, and now we have the third version of Cassie, who will all actually see in the movie. And she debuted, like I said, in the same year nineteen seventy nine. She first appeared in Marvel Premiere forty seven, created by David mccleaney and John Byrne. But we got to fast forward decades. She was just his She was Scott's kid, his loving kid, the kid he wanted to make good for. But it was in two thousand and five's Young Avengers number six where she took on the name Stature because she kind of had a power similar to her father's with the suit, she could change her build and her size. They kind of went through anteen they were kind of funny names, but Stature was the one. Though, as we have learned through these trailers and the promotional materials, that is not the character that we will be seeing Cassie. That is not the Oldrrigo will be seeing her take on. She is going to be taking on a much more contemporary monica which is from Astonishing ant Man number six and that Stinger and that kind of more aligns her with Antman and the Wasp and this kind of big hero lineage. But I'm really excited to see why Cassie goes again. This is another Young Avengers member, So I feel like people are going to be getting there's so many Young Avengers now, and all of us Young Avenges fans like, when is happening They're going to happen. We know it's gonna mean, it's happening.
Speaker 1: We know it's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. So after Scott re emerges from the Quantum Realm.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He discovers you know that the snap is a thing that happened, and realizing that he has some information that might be useful to the heroes in this world, he travels to the Avengers facility in New York in Louis's van and tells the surviving Avengers a crazy tale about surviving the Quantum Realm and the time traveling effects they're in. This allows Tony Stark to builds a time machine, which he does just like in his off time at his house. He designs it, drives back to these Avengers facility, is like, hey, I figured it out. I figured out time travel. Uh did you try it? Yeah, we tried it. It turned Scot into a baby and then an old man, and then Tony's like, don't worry, I figured all of that out. This allows the time machine allows the Avengers to use the Quantum Realm to travel through time and steal the Infinity Stones from the past and thus defeat Thanos. And when last we saw Scott heading into Quantumnia, he was standing with Hank, Hope and Janet at Tony Stark's funeral. Be really interesting to see what Scott has been up to since.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you did. You brought up a really important point here, which is the quantum realm allowed them to create this time machine. Right, which is the idea that time reacts differently in the quantum realm, so you can go in at one point and come out at a different point. Right. That seems like it's going to be incredibly relevant as we go into Quantum Mania, a film about a man obsessed with time Kang. He loves time, loves time travel, needs to be in control of every time. Interested to see how long our heroes are going to be in the quantum realm, in the quantum zone. How long this takes?
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision will be back.
Speaker 3: And we're back.
Speaker 1: Why don't you tell us about the quantum realm.
Speaker 2: And then we'll you know, put it in the tinfoil hat and we'll start where's this gigure?
Speaker 3: Okay, So we love the quantum realm. We talk about it a lot. It's one of our favorite things. We also talk about how the quantum roalm in the MCU has always kind of felt like, is it the quantum realm? Is it the kind of is it like going to be? Their version of the negative zone. So basically, the most interesting thing here that we don't often talk about because it's such a weird old part of comics is the idea of the microverse, which is what the quantum realm was originally known as and was the place where the pin particles could take you. And the reason that this is particularly interesting is that this isn't old. This is first ever from a Captain America Comics twenty six. You're talking about ninete like, this is like some old weird stuff it and it's where Captain American Bucky end up traveling to. This subatomic world was written by a pulp writer, Ray Cummings and penciled by an artist called Sid Shaw's and you're talking about an idea that is so old, and it just made sense for them to say, well, that's that's the that's why the pin particles will take you. It's a sub atomic world. It's basically what we know is the quantum realm in the MCU. But the microverse stuff becomes more interesting as we head into Quantumania because the most interesting thing about it is that, like so often in the MCU with Thor Ragnarok, which was essentially like a Planet Hulk adaptation. Marvel seems to enjoy looking to Hulk comics to expand the stories that they are telling, and in Quantumania we have not seen Yeah, but from what we've seen in the trailers, it really seems like we're looking at another kind of Hulk adaptation. In Avengers Yes eighty issue eighty eight, Shrunken Hulk gets sent to the Microverse and it kind of begins this journey through this place called Kai where Hulk meets one of his most famous romantic dalliances known as Durella. Now this is really important because one of the characters that we know will be in Quantumania is gent Tora, who is the niece of Durella, and in the from what we know of the characters, she will fight alongside Veb and Quas as one of the Quantum Realms freedom fighters, and Gentlera in the comics is a freedom fighter. So that is a very interesting microverse connection.
Speaker 2: So we should add that when the Hulk goes there, what he finds is like a despotic ruler who is being confront by various freedom loving rebels in the micro Verse. And then Hulk then aligns with Yes.
Speaker 3: Yes, sounding very much like what we may be seeing in the old Quantumnia. Other things that the movie seems to be directly taking from Kryla, the character who you know, Bill Murray will be playing. His first and only appearance is in Hulk one fifty six in the Microverse, which is when Hulk reunites with Durella at micronic size. And it is just a very interesting space to be taking from now in the MCU, I mean in the Marvel Comics universe, also could be called the MCU, just saying but that the quantum marm of the Microverse have become the same thing. A lot of which is to do with like strange licensing IP issues. But yeah, basically the Microverse is a very interesting deep sci fi space, and it seems like from what we've seen of Contomania so far in the trailers, it's taking very heavily from these Wholk issues and also from this older version. This is less of the cosmic kind of purgatory that we saw Janet in and this looks more like a Star Wars style high fantasy, high sci fi space. And as Jason pointed out, despotic leader who is being confronted by freedom fighters, we can assume Kang is going to take that role when we go and see the movie tonight. So yes, very interesting. Also deep connections to some of my favorite things, you know, like the Silver Surfer and Galactus, so I'm really excited. It's also, as we are in the Kang the Conqueror space, we should probably just mention we're gonna keep saying it until it happens, but there is high potential here for a Fantastic Four tiers or a Fantastic Four crossover.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know who that's shranked down and stuck in the microverse slash Quantum Realm.
Speaker 1: A little while Doctor Doom.
Speaker 2: I mean, if there's a world in which doctor Doom is the despotic leader and Kang is like the leader of the obscurb website, we need Scott's help.
Speaker 3: Look, I understand, I understand the way that the trailers have set this up, and I know that King is going to be I know he's the Conqueror, so I know he's the bad guy, but like, wouldn't it be cool if he wasn't wouldn't it be cool if this was a more empathetic King and Kryla was the despot or Dr Doom was the despot. Yeah, I would really like to see it because, like I just love Jonathan Page. No, but I I'm very I'm very interested to see where this goes, especially because the the correlations between the way we've seen the quantum realm in the MCU and what we know of the negative zone as it's kind of poured all between universes and a time where time goes differently. I would be very interested to know if rather than quantum ralm and the microverse being the two names for these things in the MCU, it's quantum realm and the negative zone. I wonder if there is a space where those two crossover. And I think, like with Kang obviously being a direct descendant of you know, read richards father also Nathaniel Richards, I'm just so interested to see if they're gonna finally commit. We know they're making a Fantastic four movie, Like we know they're doing it, but are they gonna lean into that here? Is that gonna be a stinger? Are we gonna get references within the quantum realm to perhaps another despotic leader who they kicked out, or a portal that leads to a different space. I don't know. I'm very interested to see it.
Speaker 2: So let's talk about King, a character who we kind of first met at the end of the Loki series on Disney Plus. We met a character named He Who Remained. Now, this is a pretty a large adaptation of the He Who Remains from the comics, like completely same name, completely unrelated in terms of like what those two characters are. But in Loki, He Who Remains was essentially a version of Kang who defeated all the other versions of himself throughout the multiverse in order to bring a kind of stability to a limited multiverse, which he then kind of curated almost like a gardener, in hopes that the other more warlike versions of himself would never arise to challenge him. And we have to assume that the Kang that we meet in and in the loast Quantumnia is going to be the evil, most warlike who, the bad version of He Who Remains.
Speaker 1: I think so he managed to kill all the other versions.
Speaker 3: And Jonathan Magus has done interviews basically said like, the character is so different that to him they don't even correlate as connected, Like He Who Remains as one thing, Kang the Conqueror is something entirely different. It will also be very interesting to know, like was Kang put in the quantum realm? Like, did He Who Remains put him there? I think so he was trapped there. I think in the most recent trailer he even says, this place isn't what you think. It's a cage, you know. So I love that idea of this kind of immense, vast world and that's the only place that you could trap this powerful being Kang the Conqueror. And you know this is this is very interesting too because I feel like we've talked kind of about time, right and yeah, but we know that in the MCU version. One of the biggest things that He who Remains introduced in Loki was that rather than Nathaniel Richards in the thirty first century discovering time travel, he discovered multiverses. So I'm very interested to see how that changes, if it does, and if it changes that.
Speaker 2: Well, I have to say, like as we saw from the Quantum Tunnel, they're kind of the same thing them.
Speaker 1: They are emerging.
Speaker 2: Time does not move in the same way in the quantum realm as it does in the regular dimensions.
Speaker 1: Therefore, if you enter the quantum realm.
Speaker 2: Essentially stepping outside of time, and from there you can enter any other timestream.
Speaker 1: I can only assume that.
Speaker 2: So part of what makes Kang so powerful is he has access to this time machine. And because he has this time machine, he's basically able to study millions of years of history and figure out like how to beat every foe, how to design every weapon, and how to overcome every single obstacle and variation of obstacle because he's just used his time machine to study every variation of every event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what he can do that is so odsally unique is, for example, I've been reading some really weird Caang comics recently trying to work out which variants we might see, and also just because I like weird shit. And there is a version in the Citizen Kang crossover, there is a version of Kang who wants to escape kind of being captured and being stopped. So he goes back to the nineteenth century and he sets up a township called Timely, Wisconsin, named after Marvel's original name, and his name is Victor Timeley. One of the this is like a Bover level new obsession of mine. But in that way, what he does is in nineteenth century Middle America. He teaches everyone there how to become a scientist, how to make in crazy futuristic inventions. So he's not only able to go and learn from different places, but he can then share that knowledge and change the stream of time and build these spaces that make him immensely more powerful and essentially creates pockets throughout time of different backup plans and different backup Kangs. You know, So you're right, it's basically the same difference now And something else that's really interesting in there. When I was reading it, and this is something I think that we kind of it's very Timfoiley, but it's really fun, and we have kind of thought about it before. There is this kind of general rumor almost it's never confirmed, but this idea that while Kang is on his travels, he meets doctor Doom and he learns that doctor Doom could be his ancestor. It's never confirmed, but there's this kind of could it be, And then that puts him and Read and Doom all in this familial line of absolute geniuses. So Kang is just the most powerful. You thought Vanis was powerful. Note Thanos needed the stone he needed the gems he needed the Gauntlet. Kang doesn't need that. Kang has his little floating time platform and his time chair and he can just do whatever he wants from Chronopolis, which is essentially a palace where he can travel through to every portal where every Kang exists in the time line.
Speaker 1: Should we talk about notable versions, Yes, of Kang.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Victor Timeley not notable. Sorry, guys, it's just a weird guy with a mustache. But it's an interesting it's an interesting use of his powers. Yes, I mean the notable we've kind of touched on some of them, but you have, like.
Speaker 1: We've touched you know, in different Yeah, episodes of this kind.
Speaker 3: Of Rahmata the pharaoh. Kang wants to go back. He wants to be all powerful, So time travels to ancient Egypt and he becomes an incredibly powerful pharaoh. And that's one of the most famous Kang variants.
Speaker 2: This is like his first attempt at time travel, basically the first thing he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like, he was like, where do I be most powerful? Okay, cool, I'll just go in my sphinx shaped you know, spaceship, and I'll just become the leader of ancient Egypt, as you do.
Speaker 1: Immortus.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's the big one. Immortus is, like I would say, probably the most famous version of Kang, very good green and purple color color costume that you would love. I would say, like visually, that's the one that inspired He who remains the most Yes, and uh, it's really interesting because he is a little bit like he who remains in that he kind of becomes weary of being.
Speaker 1: Like this crazy.
Speaker 3: Crazy guy, but he's still not like a good guy. He's still doing mad problem. He's still causing mad problems. He fights the Avengers a lot. He also like teams up with like really strange historical figures like Paul Banyan and Genghis Khan and you.
Speaker 1: Know historical figures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he will also like he will. This is one of the most interesting things about Immortus and why I think we'll definitely see a version of him. He often teams up with other Kangs, like he is the he is the one who teams up with other Kangs. He also is the one who tried to marry Scarlet Witch because he knew that she was an excess being. So I would love to see some kind of situation there. And he also is deeply connected to the Timekeepers and the TVA because.
Speaker 2: He's kind of the he's kind of like the spiritual manager kind of.
Speaker 3: Because he kind of wants to like use them to escape his destiny and control his destiny. It's very he's a very interesting complex character. But again the most interesting thing about Kang is that he doesn't really have superpowers from being like really he's.
Speaker 2: Like so if if the he who remains in Loki is kind of like the Kang who defeated all the other kings and waited them out and now is very very tired. That is a pretty strong parallel to Immortis, who is like Kang who just gets.
Speaker 1: Tired of it.
Speaker 2: It is just like tired of all the stuff and he's done everything and there's nothing else to do anymore, and.
Speaker 1: He's bored and he's just tired. Shall we talk about modoc.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, I just want to first of all, just so you will go and google it. Yeah, I just want to mention the Scarlet Centurion, who is not a big, very famous Kang variant, but he does have a very sexy costume and it's like one of those outrageous like you look at it and you're like, wow, men never get cool sexy costumes like that, so so shout out to him. But yes, there's lots of Kang variants. Will we see them, I don't know, but we'll probably see them in the future of the MCU, so keep an eye out. And I think Immortus and Ramata those to me, alongside Kang the Concrest seem like the ones we're gonna see fast.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about our big humpty dumpty friend in the big chair with the big head, mister Mogg originally a machine, a mobile organism designed only for computing, later changed to be a mobile organism designed only for killing.
Speaker 1: Love that guy, big change there, I know, he asked me.
Speaker 3: I'm like, it feels like computer was a better option. But you know, he overcame the agents of AIM and became the Yeah, mobile, mechanized and mental can.
Speaker 2: I'm kind of sad that he is not a product of AIM like I would imagine since yeah, spoiler alert, he is a character who fell into the quantum realm.
Speaker 1: That he.
Speaker 2: Is a product of the quantum realm and not some kind of you know, uh, deranged experiment by aims.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder, I wonder if that I wish. I want Aim to come in. We thought they were going to come in during one division and they didn't like I want to see. We've seen versions of Aim in the MCU, but they're like very minor, like militarized kind of people who just have the same name. I want to see the yellow suit wearing Aim, who are going to make Modoc and do like terrible science I think. I mean, maybe it could be that Kang was the one who helped him, because Kang is a genius. But maybe Kang kind of did the Aim style evil science that drove him crazy. Or it could just be his vengeance against Scott who put him in this situation and made him have a giant head and float.
Speaker 1: Around big and his limbs cuts wall all works.
Speaker 3: This is actually like a very interesting quote from Peyton Reed where it's like Modoc has been waiting in the wings for a while. We hit on an idea of as we were going to bring the family into the quantum realm and into contact with Kang, how could Kang know about the Ant family? And then it occurred to me, you know what happens to Yellow Jacket at the end of the First ant Man. So that's obviously it's a it's a narrative reason that he has become Modoc.
Speaker 2: Imagine your fucking Darren Krass yellow jacket. You've been banished to the quantum realm where you now have a fucking giant head head and little limbs, and you've just spent untold amount, Like there's literally no way to measure the amount of time. You're a million years complaining about Hank and Hope and Scott Lane and then they fucking show up.
Speaker 3: Oh terrible.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you some Monoc is gonna be pissed.
Speaker 3: P I sed pissed. Yeah, I mean, this is such an iconic Marvel character, and like it is one of the weirdest, and I wrote like I wrote this big explainer which you can read at IGN, which is like a full comic book history. I read so many great comics. But the most interesting thing to me is I think he's almost a character like another favorite of mine, Schuma Gorath Modoc. I think a lot of the love for him actually is he's been in so many video games, Like he has such a wide reach, such a massive unexpected audience that will already know who he is. I'm very interested to see where they go because to me, Modoc's he's not like a Thanos or Kang level villain, but he's definitely a villain you could have for like a trilogy. Like he is like a villain that you could really do some interesting stuff with. So it's gonna be very cool and telling what they decide to do with him and whether he is just a one and done villain. But like, good for Corey Stole, get that check, come back. Yeah, have your head cged onto that giant chat. I was feeling it. I was very happy to see that they did have the big head and it wasn't just the battle armor that we'd kind of seen from from trail.
Speaker 1: That bigot, big giant hole.
Speaker 2: We can't wait to see the movie. We're basically going now from this recording session to go watch the movie. So, uh, you know, that's it for our little primer on ant Man, the history of ant Man and related characters.
Speaker 1: Up next, nerd Out.
Speaker 3: In today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love, am why, or a theory you're excited to share, Scott is going to picture us on a cult classic TV show by David Lynch Twin Peaks.
Speaker 4: In April of nineteen ninety, ABC debuted Twin Peaks, and the country was never the same. Broadcast television was definitely never the same. I was never the same. I was eleven. It was too mature for me, but I was intoxicated. The show is dark and scary and sexy and weird, and it forever shaped my view of what television could be and what my personal aesthetic would be for the kind of content that I would expect and enjoy. But it wasn't just me. The whole country wanted to know who killed Laura Palmer. They were also charmed by Kyle MacLachlan playing special agent Dale Cooper. There was a established cast of older actors like Ray Wise and Piper Laurie, and there was a young gust like larfln Boyle, Sherylyn Finn and Madge en Amick. They ended up on the cover of Rolling Stone that summer. Because the first season was only seven episodes, it was short. It grabbed the country by the throat and everyone could not wait for season two. Now the network demanded they reveal the killer and resolve the murder, and once that happened, the show had trouble fighting its path. The ratings dropped, They moved it around the schedule, and by the end of the season it was canceled. But they ended season two famously with a magnificently dark and scary cliffhanger, and that was it canceled. We got a prequel movie, fire Walk with Me, soon after, from David Lynch, but it didn't resolve the cliffhanger, and then we and the fandom had to wait. We bought the box sets, We spread the word, We shared the show with friends, and we never new if we would get anything else. We shared the lingo, we shared the music, the score by Angelo bad Lamente. We dressed up in costumes. We visited Washington State and took turns getting wrapped in plastic to play act at being Laura Palmer dead on a rocky beach. And then twenty six years after the show ended, we got Twin Peaks. The return on Showtime, different but brilliant, and with most of the surviving cast now David Lynch, Mark Frost, and col MacLachlan, among others, have said they would come back. They would do more. So Twin Peaks may live on, but you need to watch it, whether it does or doesn't, because you will quickly find out. You already know Twin Peaks because it has seeped into cultural consciousness and shows like psych and Riverdale and Gravity Falls have directly referenced it since. So join us in the Red Room and enjoy Twin Peaks.
Speaker 3: Yes, thanks Scott. If you have theories and passions that you want to share, hit us up at x ray at croocket dot com and instructions are in the show notes as always.
Speaker 1: Well, that's it for us. Rosie.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that you've got a bunch of stuff up related to Antman and the Weast Quantumania plug it.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can read my work at ign primetimer nerdist Polygon, Den of Geek. It's going to be all kinds of stuff. My big Den of Geek cover story was just released. It is with the lead cast of Shazam, including Helen Mirren and Lucy Lou and Rachel Zeggler who played the goddesses who are so incredible. So that is going to be out now. You can sign up, or you can pick up a real print magazine in the old comic book shop. You can also find me at Rosie Marks at Letterbox or Instagram. Our discord has been catching many jokes off of my terrible letterbox choices, including seventy eight Doctor Strange movie, which I cannot recommend enough.
Speaker 1: It is so so it's inside.
Speaker 3: I was literally like, it is so horny and weird, and people are like, why are you horning for Doctor Stranger? And I was like, no, no, go and watch the movie. It's just about an old pervy magician who like meets loads of hot Morgan le Fay like women of various ages. It's wonderful. So yeah, that's my other plug. Go watch those weird old pre MCU Marvel movies.
Speaker 2: Catch the next episode on Friday, February seventeenth on ant Man in the Last quantum Menia, and remember that's our second episode of the week.
Speaker 1: We're doing two episodes a week to.
Speaker 2: Two Wednesdays and Fridays in your podcast feed two episodes a.
Speaker 3: Week, yep and if you want to see us with your eyeballs as well as listening with your ears, you can subscribe on YouTube, where you can now have four episodes of the show. Sometimes we're in person, sometimes we're on zoom. They're equally as cool. Please if you want to see us on Twitter, on tweets, see the things that we retweet. Yes, you go to the xr V pod and you check out the discord too. The discord is where we meet up and hang out with tons of amazing fans and listeners. Me and Jason not always in there. We try and watch shows with you guys. We've been doing cool lost of us ones. We share my terrible letterbox and rag on me and we generally just have like a lovely time. It's motivated by the wonderful Hidi, who we always shout out because it's just a really cool, inclusive, fun nerdy space. So calm recommend it enough.
Speaker 2: Five star ratings, five star reviews. We need them, we gotta have them.
Speaker 1: We love them. Here's one from mucho uro great.
Speaker 3: Thank you and I love it.
Speaker 1: We love it baby. X ray Vision is a Crooked Media production.
Speaker 2: The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Road are editing in sound design Who's by Vascillias Fotopoulos. Dylan Villanueva and Matt de Group provide video production support. Alex Rollaford handles social media. Thank you, Brian, besk this for theme music.
Speaker 1: See you next time, mm hmm