Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He's a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so much for that.
Speaker 2: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: Hello, guys, welcome back to another episode of the Break, presented by algolet Evil. I member Garcia. I'm here with Nick and Brian. Derek is out this week, but we'll discuss all the moves that the Cowboys have made.
Speaker 7: We haven't had it.
Speaker 6: I don't recall last week us talking about a lot of those moves. So today we're just gonna take a deep dive and all the changes on the roster at the moment. See if these guys like it, don't like it, what is the criticism around that. So we'll start with first.
Speaker 7: Of all, the trade that the Cowboys made and helped me out.
Speaker 6: Nick kayir kyer Elam Kayer Elam Elam. Yeah, cornerback the draft, the draft they got the Cowboys got him and a six round pick for this year. This draft around and they sent a couple of draft picks to the Buffalo Bills. Brian, I'll start with you with your observation on this guy, scouting report on him, and what he brings to the team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think when you look at with with Elam, they're gonna have to play him as a pressman corner. And when you watch him play, when you watched him come out of Florida, you know, several years ago when Nick and I were working on the draft show stuff, this, these were the types of players that you know that that you were you were studying these guys that have some length to him, that have some size to him. This is a this is a nice size corner for you that could really play press man very very well. And I think that Buffalo got away from that, and there was some questions about whether that Brandon Beam, the general manager for the Bills, made the pick. And then we're the head coach and the general manager on the same page when it came to this player. So maybe he was fighting out a little bit at Buffalo. But I feel like you need to play this guy as a pressman corner. Let him get up on you, let him, let him be able to jam be able to redirect move with those with those receivers, because I think that's something he can do very very well. When you play him off or in zone coverage, the reactions are not as good as where I think where it needs to be so physical, corner got good size. It's going to be a fresh start for him for the Dallas Cowboys. So a couple of years ago, a guy that probably on a lot of people's strap board was probably in the top fifty when it came to players. So you know, one of those things where the Cowboys probably saw him the same way and hopefully they're playing more press man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brian hit it on the head and mentioning that Brandon being the Bills GM. He was asked about Kaye last week in availability with the media and why it didn't work out. He said, ultimately, it's on me. I made this selection that didn't work out, and I own that. You don't want those to happen. But man, I'm rooting for Kaye, I really am.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 5: I mean it was a situation where, gosh, I'm forgetting the guy's name who took over his spot, but he was a six round pick in that same exact draft, and he just a Christian. Benford just immediately took over Kye's job almost immediately as when they were both rookies, and he just kind of carried that on throughout the early in their career. So it hasn't really worked out for Kaye in Buffalo, but coming to Dallas, there's going to be an opportunity for him to start on the outside as early as week one. If Trayvon Diggs is not available to go, they're gonna need someone on the outside opposite of Deron Bland. They're also gonna need someone in the nickel. But there's a lot of work on that.
Speaker 1: Yea, Yeah, there's a.
Speaker 5: Lot of problems that corner and just having depth right now certainly helps. And look, I saw some people on social media kind of overreacting to like, why would you draft this bust?
Speaker 1: He's a first round bust and you gave up nothing at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: I mean, you got a guy who's going to be on one year rental for you, and if he plays well, you can sign him to a second contract. It's not like you're going to activate that fifth year option and pay him what is it, seventeen million next year?
Speaker 1: You're fine.
Speaker 5: It's a cheap guy that you can add depth, and it's a guy who's gonna get a second chance.
Speaker 1: Second chances sometimes work out too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and sometimes, like you say, Brandy Bean even came out and said it, it's on him. The general manager saw something in the player and Brandon Bean and we all agree the Buffalo Bills are a pretty damn good team, you know. And sometimes as a general manager, you give a gut feeling about a player and you know it's a first round. Yeah, that's an expensive way of doing things, but you know, yeah, the fact that to me that this player you watched him at Florida and you watched him and you watch him.
Speaker 4: Play at Buffalo. There's some traits and things things that happen, you know.
Speaker 8: I know that they were at a game against Kansas City that was really really rough, but you know, this guy coming in and playing. Though I could say Nick's right, you know, sometimes people make mistakes. Maybe this guy comes to a fresh start, a new opportunity, a coaching staff that kind of believes in him a little bit, and then you never know what you get out of that. But this guy's a physical player. You could go back and watch him in college cover those really good Alabama receivers and carry those guys all over the field and make plays and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: So it's a scout I was always taught.
Speaker 8: Man. You see that I think will translate. Hopefully that'll be an opportunity for him.
Speaker 6: Here now, as we go along the list of guys, we're gonna play a little game and I'm gonna put you guys on the spot.
Speaker 7: I just want you to give me your rating.
Speaker 6: You know, when you go to the doctor's office and they have a chart with a smiley face a sad face.
Speaker 1: I hate this. So I'm in paint ambar.
Speaker 6: You've got three choices here, Okay, happy face, smiley face, a neutral face, just a straight up line, horizontal line.
Speaker 7: Or a sad face.
Speaker 6: So for this one, this uh considering, taking into consideration what you gave up for this guy and everything that it involves.
Speaker 7: Where would you rate this move for the Cowboys?
Speaker 1: Neutral?
Speaker 7: Neutral?
Speaker 8: I think neutral right now, you know, but hopefully they play him the right way and then it turns into a happy face.
Speaker 4: But I'm going to go neutral on it as well.
Speaker 7: Okay, perfect.
Speaker 6: So the next trade that the Cowboys made not too long after that first one was they traded for Kenneth Murray. He's a linebacker, and this trade happened with the Tennessee Titans. They also got a pick from the Titans as well. What do you take into this? Do you like this guy?
Speaker 9: Nick?
Speaker 6: I know there's a we know the need at linebacker currently for the Cowboys, knowing with overshown and all and his injury, how do you rate this pick?
Speaker 5: Yeah? This is uh, this is certainly an interesting one. And when it came down I guess that was last Wednesday, I was like, oh, wow, this is this is an interesting move. I I kind of adding on to what I was saying earlier about social media being an upheaval about these trades. It is like, essentially, you took one of your fifth round picks and moved it to the seventh round, and you added two players that can start for you this year. I don't think that's a bad move at the end of the day.
Speaker 1: And there was.
Speaker 5: Some Day three, twenty twenty six cheese involved, but it wasn't anything major. And when you add a guy like Kenneth Murray, who has the experience that he has, he comes off being a team captain in Tennessee last year. He can control your defense if he needs to. It's a smart player to have involved. This is This is not a bad move in my eyes. Now, granted, is he the best linebacker you could have traded for. No, that's why he only cost a fifth or sixth round pick, whatever it was. I think there's some instincts in the run game that he might have to he might have to be addressed with with Matt Eberflus. But you know, Ebraflus has done a really good job in developing linebackers throughout his time. Now, Murray's been in the league for four or five years. Now, you know how much development quote unquote does he have left? Can he teach an old dog new tricks? The guy is twenty six years I think there is still still some development left in his game. But he's a hard hitter, he's a thumper. I like this move. I don't think he's a long term starter here in Dallas, but I think he's a guy that can give you more than enough flexibility for Demarvey and Overshowing to come off of his injury, more than enough flexibility. If Jack Sanborn might not be ready to command a defense early on this is a guy you want to have involved. I mean, experience really pays off in this league, and he's got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I totally agree with what Nick saying here. And you know, to me, there's this group when they went into the free agency process, we were talking about linebackers, were thinking about, Hey, positions that maybe I know in the draft show positions you might double dip. My linebacker surely was one of those those areas that we were focusing on. But to go out and get a guy like Murray, and you know, I'm gonna say this, the physicality that he plays with I think is impressive, The toughness that he plays with. You know, yeah, is he perfect in coverage? No, not all the time. But when you start to talk about playing run defense, and and and filling in the in the hole, and and and getting to the outside and playing with a little little range, a little link to it, I think that you could have done far worse here. So I'm with Nick on this one. I Uh, is he is he a starter? Could he be a starter?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: He can absolutely be start. He's proven places where he's been. He was a starter at the Chargers, he was a starter at Tennessee, you know, we've seen what they did, uh, you know last year, you know with with Eric Kendricks, and you know, hopefully you get the same kind of results that you get a guy that that comes in in this physical and makes plays and and you know, and and brings an element of toughness to your game.
Speaker 6: And with that, they added another linebacker and make mentioned him Jack Sandborg. This was a one year deal from the Bears. That's where he played. What are some of the differences that you see there and the type of player between the Well.
Speaker 8: And the Bears are the Bears have got a good group of linebackers. I felt like you know that they they were they were Sandborn. What's surprising to me is he was less than a million dollar player and they let him walk. They didn't tender him. So you know, he was able to kind of you know, Dallas jumped in there really really quick on it and was able to get that done. You know, probably with a little bit of influence from Matt Eberflus. But you watch this guy play. Here's a guy that has a.
Speaker 4: Real nose for the football.
Speaker 8: I mean, he's the tackles are there that it's rare that you see linebackers that undercut blocks, and I mean go dip underneath the block and then get back into the play like Samborne is able to do. He played as an outside linebacker, he could play an inside linebacker. I think there's that element to him. I probably play him on the inside more myself. But man, I'll tell you what though. He is a guy that he's got a nose for the ball, he has a feeling for how to play blocks, He's got linked he could get off blocks. To me, you could have say it again, you could have done far worse with you know, going on. I think the Pro department here might have found a guy. I'm if you play the happy face game and all that, I would be happy. I would be smiling face on this one. I think they did a pretty good job of finding a guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, before we move on to u Nick speaking of how really messed up the game. But for Murray, what's your rating?
Speaker 8: I tell you what, I think, I'm a happy face happy face because they think of the physicality that he plays with the toughness that he plays with. Both these players or guys are happy face for me because you know they were in on the Drake greenlawal nic will tell you this. They were in on that green Law made a decision to go elsewhere. They were trying their best to make that and that would have been a great signing right there, but they kind of pivoted rallied and I think they did okay. And at these two that they've done.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give neutral for both.
Speaker 5: We'll see how they fare on the field, but I think both of these editions are had the potential to be really strong for that linebacking corps. They need that depth and they bring experience along with it.
Speaker 6: And do you have a different perspective on Sanborn or what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for scond Born, I think it's it's certainly going to help kind of transition this defense into the Eberflus era. I mean you think back last year, I mean the Cowboys only the two outside signings, and one of them was Eric Kendricks. Mike Zimmer wanted to go get his guys. He had this on field bridge, if you will, to help usher in this new system during training camp and then throughout the season, have a guy that he can trust to be the lead communicator. Now, Jack Sanborn doesn't have the experience that Eric Hendricks had coming into Dallas, obviously, but he's going to kind of serve that same purpose in the sense that he already knows the system. He's a great communicator, He's been a leader of a defense before in an eber flu system. He's going to be the guy that a lot of people come to with questions. And that was one of the questions I had for him yesterday when he did a conference call with the media. I was like, Okay, you know, a lot of guys are going to come to you because you are the one who knows it. You are the one who's been inside of it for three years. And so he said, it's about flying around, having an aggressive mindset and getting downhill. But everybody has a job. He's really big into that making sure that not only you know your job, you know why you're doing your job, and by doing your job.
Speaker 1: What that leads to for other people.
Speaker 5: And he said, I'm willing to do anything to help everyone else learn. At the end of the day, we're in this together as one. There's going to be competition in that linebacker room. But just talking to Jack Sanbourne yesterday, I get the sense that he's going to be helping everyone out in that linebacker room.
Speaker 6: Well, it's like titing to see some of these changes and what is actually going to look like once they start training together and we go to training camp and start seeing them, uh transform this defense into something different. Now, staying on the defensive side of the ball, they also signed Solomon Thomas, a defensive tackle who is coming from the New York Jets. He played over there. What are your scouting report on this player?
Speaker 1: Versatile?
Speaker 5: He's going to play in some different roles for you, And yeah, we're just gonna come right back to the conversation.
Speaker 1: That's the conversation. He is versatile.
Speaker 5: He's a guy that probably factors in more so as the backup three tech for Osa Digizua on rotational downs, but I think he's also a guy that could play some one tech on some passing downs because because he can get into the backfield, he has experience with defensive line coach Aaron Whitecott and going back to their time with the Jets, and he can get to the quarterback if asked to do so. He's a Kapel guy. So back in DFW, I I always love when that happens. And really good dude, he's he's really active in the community. If you look up a year from now and he's this team's Walter Payton nominee, then I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he.
Speaker 8: Talked about when coach Whitecotton got the job that that might be a possibility.
Speaker 4: Because he did. He played very well.
Speaker 8: You know, we'll see what about the run defense stuff and how that goes for him. I'm not totally I'm not discouraging that at all. He got a lot out of coach white Kott got a lot out of him as a pass rusher. And I think Nick's absolutely right. You play him at the three technique and let him be the backup guy, let him play the one sum in the nickel with him and os inside man, you get two pretty active guys right there. Last year, it just didn't seem like that in the defensive tackle spot that they had guys inside that were able to rotate at that three. Give you some pass rush. This this to me that I believe like this is an upgrade. You got a guy that can rush the passers I've mentioned you got to back up for Osa, and you've got a guy that has some experience, and the and the and you got a coach here now that got the absolute best at him. I think this is a really good combination for them.
Speaker 6: I love everything you guys are saying so rated with a little smiley face. Negas is your first smiley face.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say neutral, You're gonna You're gonna hate me in this game.
Speaker 5: So you're going neutral with because a smiley face for me would be going and getting Cooper cup last.
Speaker 1: You know what, I've been going and getting Stu fun.
Speaker 6: But as soon as I asked you about this guy, yeah, you answered started answering with a smile on your face.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, I'm a happy guy. I just be smiling.
Speaker 6: You reacted differently than the other Yeah, I just I just be smiling.
Speaker 8: I'm I will smile because the reasons I talked about, because of the the three technique stuff, they just felt like they didn't have somebody that could play behind Osa, that you could really really rely on. So I give them props. Trust me, I'm about to have a couple of brownie faces.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 6: Well, with that, we're gonna go to our first break. When we come back, we'll continue diving into the whole list of the changes that the Cowboys have done through this free agency.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 9: Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 10: At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires COMPATBA plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for dy deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 10: Don't put off getting your oil change.
Speaker 13: Dallas Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take fives. Stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area. And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster.
Speaker 10: Than you think.
Speaker 13: That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lou Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in tall while you're tailgating or cheering in stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco, or online at lucasey dot com. Lucasey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.
Speaker 15: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store letter Rip Troy, All right.
Speaker 16: Folks, let's get started with the Yeddy French Press and Joe Calby this Day's hot for hours and French Press thirty four for U six four for the cruise, yety French Press to mix waterproof bags, bags of waterproofs, some whe's wall waterproof, Devil's waterprove bag bags fort as most of the waters. To get a waterprove Yetti bag. You don't smell something cooking po new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipe. You take a steak, cornbit, commerce pot pie and ptatoes next ovo well three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 17: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 5: Today back to the break, lgoled evo is the best TV in the game, but don't take our word for it. Digital trend said the LG OLEDG four is the best picture quality they've ever seen. See for yourself at LG dot com, slash oll Leadevo.
Speaker 6: Thank you Welcome back to the second segment of the Break presented by blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 7: All right, let's try to move alone.
Speaker 6: So, because we still have a lot of guys to cover here, the next one in the timeline of events is Real mccuamum. He's another guy the hasband with the Cowboys. Obviously, you guys are very familiar with him. Safety the Cowboys end up giving him a new deal and he stays here in Dallas. Thoughts on this move?
Speaker 5: Can I propose a question to you, Brian, go ahead? Israel mcuamu Kayir Elam? One of them gets the start on in week one? You can only pick one of I know there's two up in spots, but there's only one of them.
Speaker 1: Let's say it's for.
Speaker 5: Outside corner obviously, Yeah, who do you think is it?
Speaker 8: I think they would probably start Izzy there. Me personally, I think I would start Elm. I just think that I think that.
Speaker 4: To me that Elam.
Speaker 8: I think I think in training camp, we're gonna really like the physicality that he plays with. And we'll see. But I would say that they would is he is he is, He's a good player for them. I mean, he's done a good job you remember, I mean the nickel that he the nickel job he did against Tampa in a playoff game. You know that can't go unnoticed. Right now, I think he's one of those guys that are kind of trying to find a spot for him. But I would, I would say they would probably start him. But I think elm is going to that's a terrible answer because I'm riding the fence on that, But I would. I would think they would start Izzy in that opening game.
Speaker 5: Kim mcwalmo would be, you're starting Nickel throughout the season? Seventeen games?
Speaker 6: Is?
Speaker 5: I think there's some fans who want it to happen. Yeah, I think it's realistic.
Speaker 8: Why am I thinking about guys that at Kansas State and a guy at Louisville and a guy at you know other places. I'm thinking about North Carolina, Hussey I'm thinking about I'm thinking about Nichols that they could draft that I know could play Nickel off the jump. And now I talked about is he. I mean, you can't discount what he did in that game. You can't.
Speaker 4: I don't know if for seventeen games I could go there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, what are you? What's your answer to your own question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, because I don't think he can go seventeen games throughout the season.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay, what's the rating Neutrals eighth neutral?
Speaker 8: Okay, always, Yeah, I think I'm neutral on this one because, like I said, my running back at my cornerboard's pretty deep. I'd like to see them address this position with maybe a couple of those guys.
Speaker 6: All right, well, Brian, you got the timeline right, because the next guy is a running back over here. The Cowboys got Miles Sanders, who's formerly has played in the.
Speaker 7: Past for the Eagles.
Speaker 6: I think that's where most people kind of recognize him from during his timeline there. And again we've heard about the changes at the running back room and what they're trying to do here and build this year. What are your thoughts on a player like this Miles Sanders.
Speaker 5: I'm going to I'm going to pair him with Javonte Williams in this conversation just because I get idea. They I think they kind of run, no pun intendent. I think they run a lot in the sense, both of these guys being veterans in the room that you bring in, you're expected to use, expected to use a premium pick at the running back position. Premium pick, meaning first couple of days in the draft, you're expected to draft a running back. This is a really deep running back class, and if you grab a guy in the third round, you're probably gonna get a pretty talented guy. He's going to be a young guy coming into this room with Javonte Williams, who's a really good pass catcher and a really good pass protector, and then Miles Sanders, who has experience and can also get out of the backfield as well. So that's going to be immediate competition in that room once they get to training camp. We talked to Javonte Williams yesterday, the media did, and the expectation that has been set for him by the coaches is be ready to compete because there's going to be an open starting job, ready ready to go in training camp. So it's not going to be hey, we draft r J. Harvey, Hey, this team drafts DJ Giddens or whatever in the third round, that guy is going to be the starter. It's going to be, hey, that rookie is going to compete with Javonte Williams and Miles Sanders for this starting position. If you're asking me about Miles Sanders specifically, I think he's comfortably third in that position, and we don't even have a rookie to place in the mix right now. Just because his time in Carolina was not good.
Speaker 1: You look at the.
Speaker 5: Yards per carry, rush yards expected over average, I mean, it was not It was not a good time in Carolina for him. He got passed up by Chewba Hubbard. As soon as Jonathan Brooks came off of his knee injury, he was immediately a replace for Miles Sanders. So I think I think Miles Sanders is going to be working behind the eight ball a little bit, but having that veteran experience in the running back room will certainly help well.
Speaker 6: Since and we can't talk about what's going to happen in the future, we don't know who there might draft at the running back position. But looking at what they currently have at the moment versus what they used to have, what are some of the similarities or differences in the running style that the Cowboys previously had versus what these two guys bring to the table.
Speaker 8: They got worse. They actually got worse. You know, if you look at overall, and here's this is where this was. This is the concerning thing to me is that they went out and hired to code. The best thing they've done for the running game so far is hire two coaches. They haven't helped the running game at all, to be honest with you, you know, And like I said, I think Williams can catch the ball well. I think he blocks very well. I think Miles Sanders is done, I really really do. And you know, Ducevon we've seen Duce Fond can't play special teams and that hurts his availability on game day. And then Malik Davis is a guy that's kind of just been here and had chances and really hasn't capitalized on the chances. That room's a mess. And you know, to me, I would have, honestly, I would have I would have double dipped that position. I think the draft is deepen up where you could have got a guy, say hi enough, I'm not saying you have to get a guy in the first round, but if you got a guy in the second round and a guy in a fifth round, I think Nick would agree with me. This running back room, or this running back draft stretch is pretty deep, you know, to me. So you know, you talk about wanting to run the ball. You show, but you make a commitment by the which is that you hired. You didn't help yourself particularly well with these two backs that you just signed. I think that's still a big, big, red blinking light for this football team.
Speaker 1: The two things I want to bring up.
Speaker 5: One, whenever they did sign Miles Sanders, you mentioned duce Vaughan Brian. Yeah, that's that's a guy who this training camp is probably the last opportunity for Ducefan. They're gonna give him that training camp shot one hundred percent, but he's going to have to prove that he's worthy of a starting spot. And he's battled injury in each of his first two camps. So maybe, you know, just staying healthy might be the biggest thing for Ducewan, you know, being able to show that he has something in the receiving game. Who knows, maybe this Schottenheimer offense helps him out a little bit more. But having two veterans in the room expected to have a rookie in the room, it's it's kind of spelling that that duce Vaughn's leash is running up. The other thing I want to bring up is them signing two veteran running backs. I'm afraid, Brian, that we're going to be sitting in this room on Day three of the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there is.
Speaker 5: Still not a running back on this team, which again we've talked about. This running back class is deep. You can get a guy in the fifth round who could compete, sure, but I don't I don't know if you want to bank on No.
Speaker 8: No, I mean, and I think you're right, but but please, don't, you know, don't you know, pee on me and tell me it's raining outside, you know, don't don't don't tell me that. Don't tell me you're committed to running the football and all that and not address that thing in the first three rounds, you know, don't don't do that.
Speaker 1: Neither of these guys are early down.
Speaker 4: No, not at all.
Speaker 5: Either of these guys are the guy fifteen minutes, first quarter, just play the game.
Speaker 1: Hand it off to him. He's going to get you eight years. Neither of these guys.
Speaker 4: Are you go you know you you you swapped out.
Speaker 8: And maybe maybe the Rico daddle, maybe he overplayed his hand, maybe he overplayed I don't, I don't know, I don't know what happened with Rico Daddle maybe, you know, I don't know if it's the Cowboys thought he was going to get more money or Rico Daddle thought he was going to get more money. But to me that when that that that that was a mistake. I think on both sides right there, you know, until somebody tells me different. But like I said, don't tell me you're going to be committed to running game and try and be better at it and load up with what your go with what you got right now, that is not going to get it done.
Speaker 1: Funny enough, I was.
Speaker 5: I flew up to the Northeast this past weekend and I had a layover in Charlotte. So my first flight was DFW to Charlotte, and first class on my flight is ric O'dowdell and I caught him coming off the plane and he just looked super excited to be back home. He sounded super excited to be back home, So I wonder how much that factored into it. At the end of the day, he didn't have a ton of time, but we caught it for maybe twenty seconds, and being back in Charlotte it is a big deal for him. He's like, Yeah, I'm from Ashville. I grew up, you know, thirty minutes away. It's it's really good to be back. So I you know, you factor that in, and you factor that that room is already pretty crowded in Carolina. I think the hometown thing was bigger for Rico Dawdle than maybe what was realized. But coming back to this team, Javonte Williams, I think could be a great running back too that you almost get me to smile on Givanta will you might almost. Yeah, I think it'd be a phenomenal complimentary especially at this stage in his career. He's still only twenty four years old. He's got experience, He's shown that he's come back off that ACL injury that he suffered in his second season. He's a guy that could pass protect. He can get out of the backfield and help you in the passing game.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, but you can't. He's not an RB one, he's an I.
Speaker 6: Agree, Okay, So I clearly, based on everything you said, Brian, we get like a frown face, mad face of a here even.
Speaker 4: Round face there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, and they're gonna have an opportunity and if and it's going to be even more of a frown face if Nick's right about that, they wait three time though. Even though I think there's some running backs there, I do. I think there's some fourth fifth running backs there that I mean, I think I've studied twenty five of them, and I'm they're all very capable players.
Speaker 6: Well, hopefully we are. The running back story changes this year. We'll see what happens after the draft and we'll discuss once again this running back room and the guys that hopefully somebody one or two at least draft it. We'll see, we'll see what happens there. But let's take our for our final break. When we come back, we'll continue going down the list of guys signs so far.
Speaker 17: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an lg O lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit, I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 10: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 17: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 1: No one comes close. Lg O led.
Speaker 17: Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at lg dot com.
Speaker 1: Slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 3: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agintur offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United agon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 5: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better. Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 1: The wins will be even tastier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 10: And we're going to overtime.
Speaker 4: Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 15: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the Virtual Financial Assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash aericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Airica responses me very tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message data rates and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah.
Speaker 9: Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable Secure five.
Speaker 11: G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 1: Back to the break at and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 6: That's the best ad right read easy into a point, easy and to a point. That's how we'd like it.
Speaker 7: All right, let's move on, don't Fowler.
Speaker 6: He's a defensive end. You guys should be familiar with him. He's been here before and now he comes back once again to be here and join this defense. Where is he at right now in his career? And are you guys happy with this decision to bring him back?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: And Bart, you're gonna get me a smile with this one. For a couple of For a couple of reasons. One the sense that they they went out and were aggressive in getting another pass rusher opposite of Miles Miles Micah Parsons, my goodness, once they realized that DeMarcus Larns was not going to be back in the fold, so going and getting a running mate for Micah on those passing downs, and especially a violent athletic guy like Dante Fowler coming off the season that he had in Washington. It's kind of a career resurgence for him that he had in DC ten and a half sacks. I thought he was snubbed for the Pro Bowl. I thought he was a guy that would have been a shoe in a couple of force fumbles, fourteen tackles for loss, and this guy he did a lot for the Commander's defense last year and mostly rotational work, and so I think he's going to have a starting opportunity here. You get me to smile because of that. Secondly, you get me to smile because they signed a contract more than six million dollars. Granted it's six million dollar base, but it's worth up to eight million dollars. This is the richest annual free agent deal that they've signed in ten years. So Greg Hardy, Yes, since Greg Hardy. So hopefully it pans out a little bit better than that one. And Dante Fowler can bring some pass rush to this team.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 7: I like this one too, And I'm even me smiling.
Speaker 1: Yeah see, you know this.
Speaker 4: Is smile this guy.
Speaker 8: If you go back and watch him play for the Commanders, you know, he did a really fine job. I know people have some questions about his ability to defend the run. I thought he got better at that. There were some times where you know, you watched him and blockers tried to get up on him and he was able to like to shed those guys to chase the ball. I was I was happy to see that for him. He's he's he's like I said, I think that here later in his career, things are kind of going in the right direction for him. And the pass rush of the sacks, the ability to play in the twist game. You know, you need somebody opposite Micah And I'll tell you what, you got a guy that can. They can they can create pressure and he can also get sacked. So, you know, good for the team for forgetting that done. That that that was a good get for them.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 6: Next guy up is another guy that's coming up from the feely Philadelphia Egel's coming up with a super Bowl. But still this is the guy that a lot of people have criticized as far as the fans like on social media, because he doesn't have a ton of really good experience on the record. He he's Perris Campbell wide receiver thoughts on what he what him coming to the team actually means for the wide receiver room.
Speaker 5: Yeah, originally from Akron, Ohio, went to Saint Vincent, Saint Mary, went to House State. They they got Lebron James guys. But no, I think it's just uh, it's it's veteran experience to add to the room.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 5: I think this is more so competition for guys like Ryan Flinoyd, j Brooks, and they want they want a veteran that can kind of be in that mix. Think of this as like a wide receiver three slash four competition and Campbell's kind of in that mix. This does not stop this team from getting a running back as early as pick twelve receiver draft excuse me, receiver receiver my bad, Yeah, receiver as early as pick twelve in this draft.
Speaker 8: Yeah, practice is, as we all know, or long, and there's a lot of running involved and you need a lot of wide receivers to get through practice. And this is one of those opportunities a veteran guy. You'll play some preseason games, You'll have a veteran player out there. You might have to be in a situation too where you're trying to evaluate maybe you do draft a young quarterback and he's going to have to play in those preseason games. You want a veteran guy out there that knows what he's doing. And so this is exactly what this is.
Speaker 6: It.
Speaker 4: Nick's right.
Speaker 8: It doesn't keep you from doing anything else in your draft plans for wide receivers.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm gonna wait rating real fast neutral sad.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I thought even if you were trying to add veteran experience to like the depth of that room, I could have done better.
Speaker 1: But we'll see.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Agree, We're gonna run through these guys a little quicker because we still hopefully we can finish before the end of the show. We got another defensive end, Peyton Turner.
Speaker 7: He signed. Okay, why I.
Speaker 8: Tell you what I think that with Peyton Turner is that to me, I like Peyton Turner because I like the length that he plays with, I like the range he plays with. I think he plays the run very very well. And I think there's a guy that you know, he's kind of like what we call that five technique, that head up end that could kind of two gap look inside, look outside.
Speaker 4: But I like the way that this guy plays.
Speaker 8: The run, and I think when they run the ball at him, he's very capable of getting off blocks and making plays. He's not a pass rusher. He is not a pass rusher at all. There's probably one or two snaps where you could see him rush the passer and you're like, Okay, I get it, but he is not. He's a much better run player. But I do like the fact that they got a guy that could play on the edge. That kind of takes over the role of what Golston did for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: You just hope he can stay healthy, and that's been the big thing in his career. In his first three seasons he only played fifteen games, missed a lot of time, but last year he played sixteen games for the Saints and mostly rotational work. Former first round pick coming out of Houston was a really good run defender for the Cougars in his college time. Now back in the lone Star State. So I'll tell you what, there is a lot of optimism about Peyton Turner talking to people in this building.
Speaker 1: So we'll see how that manifests. How are you feeling neutral.
Speaker 8: Thank you, I'll go smiley because I think he brings something to play a run defense.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, okay, next one up, we have Robert Jones. He's an offensive lineman that is coming from the Dolphins. He signs here and this is a topic that we've talked about. While we know that the old line still needs work there, what does it bring to the table and how.
Speaker 7: Is he right now in his career.
Speaker 5: We talked to him yesterday and it kind of gave me a little bit of a different perspective of what I had going into that call, if you will. He started seventeen games for the Dolphins last year and it was a super valuable experience for him. Didn't do particularly well. He grated out as one of the worst guards in the NFL. Actually that played throughout the season. But prior to that year, thirteen games of starting experience mostly at left guard and or excuse me, mostly at right guard. Flips to left guard for the Dolphins last year. He said his most natural position on that call yesterday, he said his most natural position is right guard. So you know he's going to be competing for that right guard spot with brock Hoffman, TJ.
Speaker 4: Bass.
Speaker 5: You would expect a draft pick to be in the middle of all that do they factor Cooper b b into that competition too, But I think I'm gonna I'm gonna go new until I see what he looks like at right guard at training camp.
Speaker 8: Neutral all the way here, and it might be a sad face because he might not be better than what Hoppin and.
Speaker 4: Others TJ. Bass, So I'm going to keep it neutral on that well.
Speaker 6: And then they also gave another deal for the Koda. Shepley and a lot of guys on social media. I guess they didn't realize he was like, he's been here in Dallas, so they decided to keep him here in Dallas. He's a guy that hasn't done a whole lot. But I mean, is he just adding depth here at the position?
Speaker 8: I think it's a guy's familiarity. I can't sit there and act like that. I know the code of Shepley's game is what it's really really all about. But you know the fact that he has been here I believe a couple of years now, so you know, it's one of those things where you got to find a way to show up. And they obviously feel good enough about him that he's made some progress. We'll see with a new line coach. How that works for him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, special teams guy. Mostly in his last two years, he's been activated for seven games. I don't think this factors into the offensive line, not at all.
Speaker 6: Neutral face neutral, Yeah, neutral, Okay, next one up? Oh yeah, I think that's it, right? Am I missing anybody else?
Speaker 5: Let's see. Yeah, we've gone through. We've gone through all of them.
Speaker 7: We've gone through everybody.
Speaker 6: Okay, so up to this point and what the Cowboys have done. So now you're gonna give me your kind of overall overview based on all your faces, your your.
Speaker 7: Snake is just neutral.
Speaker 6: But what is your overall rating of what the Cowboys have currently done in this free agency this year? Personally, I think it's been pretty differently different than past previous years because you've had more movement happening, at least from guys that they've signed from the outside and not just signing their own they signed their own, but also brought some other people from the outside. Brian, I'll start with you, what's your overall rating for what they've done this year?
Speaker 8: Critical of this front office, and I've been super critical because I don't believe that they do this. Twenty four to seven like they want us to believe. Well, I'm gonna give um some credit here. They actually did do some twenty four to seven work here. They figured out that it's going to be about the draft, it's going to be about trading, and it's going to be about signing free agents. Well, see if the fact that they were able to get some guys, I think they maybe upgraded a couple spots. I think they probably went neutral in a couple spots and maybe not as good as some others. But they went out. They did this. They had to do this. They couldn't for the second year let depth completely walk out of this building, and they made sure of that. So they tried to help themselves that way. I don't think this does anything to limit what they're going to do in the draft. I think everything is still on board for them to pick any player that they feel like is good enough for the be on this football team. But I will give them credit. You did it, you did trades, you did free agency, and now let's see a draft.
Speaker 4: So good for you.
Speaker 5: I think the only position that I think there's a little bit of urgency that you can take away coming out of free agency going into the draft is probably linebacker just because you did, I'd run yeah, yeah, And yeah, there's there's some urgency that's taken off there, but you still need you could I guess more so, I'm saying if you took a linebacker in the first two days, yeah, that would be a little bit more surprising to me than if you took a running back.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: But yeah, they they went out and got bodies, and looking back to last season, they need bodies, and uh, that certainly helps. I would have liked to see them land an offensive weapon for for Dak Prescott, for you know, whatever this rookie running back is gonna look like. Obviously for Ceedee Lamb as well, just to kind of be that running mate with him. I would like for there to be a second fiddle. But you know, that's that's what the draft is also for. But you'd be putting a lot of pressure on a rookie to to be able to to to be that. But I would have maybe liked to have seen that in free agency. That's the one thing that I'd I'd come away with still desiring. But overall, they went out and got bodies and that's what they needed.
Speaker 8: At the end of the If the price comes down for Keenan Allen, would you consider that one for a veteran receiver.
Speaker 5: It kind of gives me the same vibes as Brandon Cooks in the sense that how is he in the sense that he's he's older, Yeah, and he's been banged up in his time in Chicago. Now, granted, played with Eberflus, so there's some experience there. Obviously Ebraflus on the defensi side of the balls, it's a little bit different.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 1: You'd get me neutral on that for the spirit of the conversation.
Speaker 7: Thirty two years old, that's not all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but he's got a lot of experience. He's got a lot of experience. That's like fifty eight in NFL.
Speaker 6: Okay, Well, with that, we end the show. Thank you so much. We should be back next week. Derek should be back in the office as well, and we'll keep talking about whatever other moves happen here and before we get there, I know soon, and it's exciting. We you guys can visit the website. A lot of these guys already talked to the media, so you can get an inside look of kind of how they speak or you know, their thoughts coming into the Star and starting their new career here in Dallas. Thank you so much, Brian, Brian Nick as well. This has been the Break on dallascowboys dot Com Slash Radio.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.