Speaker 1: Welcome back to a Numbers game with Ryan Grodowski. What can I say about this week's episode. It's about a place where men were born to run, a place that gets slippery when wet, and it's not a nursing home. It's a retirement community. Yes, I'm referring to the great state of New Jersey, home of Bruce Springsteen, John bon Jovi, and the Sopranos. This episode is all about New Jersey and whether or not it can become America's next swing state. But before I talk about the Garden State, I want to go back in time a little bit, all the way to the year two thousand. That election obviously was important for a number of reasons. It elected George W. Bush as the forty third president. It was the first election year that Hillary Clinton won an election on her own for the United States Senate in New York and began her political career, which obviously didn't go to the places that she dreamed. And it would be the last time that the state of Vermont would elect a Republican to the United States Senate after having consistently elected Republicans for over a century. But most importantly, it created the modern political map Now there have been six elections since the year two thousand, and for the most part, they've kind of more or less looked a lot the same. Thirty five states have voted the same exact way in all seven elections from two thousand to twenty twenty four. Now, you might say fifteen states is a lot that have changed direction over that time, and that's true, fifteen states is a lot. But if you cut up the states that have only voted one time at the last seven, so like voted six of seven times the same exact way, like New Hampshire, for example, or North Carolina or Indiana. And if you take states have only voted twice in in a different direction five of the seven, six of the seven or seven and seven states that have voted the same exact way in the last seven consecutive elections, you only have nine states left that have continuously flipped back and forth for a quarter of a century. Nine states is not that many, especially when you consider that in the seven elections before two thousand, that would be going back to the in nineteen seventy two, there were only thirteen states that voted the same exact way. I mean, you can throw in a few more states that only voted bublic in one time, like Minnesota, which went Republican in nineteen seventy two, or only went Democrat one time, which would be like Texas in nineteen seventy six. The ma gets a little more full, but you get my point. There were a lot more flippable swing states in the previous three decades that in the post two decades since the year two thousand. Now a number of states worst swing states since two thousand have become reliably blue like Oregon or Colorado, or reliably red like Tennessee, Missouri or Ohio. Yes, Tennessee Missouri worst swing states back in the year two thousand, but only one state went from being reliably red or reliably blue to becoming a state that is the other way, and that's Virginia. Virginia was a reliably red state is now a reliably blue state. And only af handful of states have really gone from being reliably red or blue to even being swing states, like Georgia and North Carolina. It's kind of that mid Atlantic strip right there that has seen a tremendous population growth from people all over the country and the world coming So with the post two thousand election. We've become very use to the idea swing states in America is only going to get smaller and smaller and smaller. But in twenty twenty four it reversed because a number of states moved sharply the right. Florida, Iowa, Ohio are no longer considered swing states. Trump won them all by over ten points. Texas, which Democrats had hoped and believed that they were in their grass by the end of the decade, that's kind of just gone out the window. Now. New York moved eleven points towards Republicans, California moved nine, Massachusetts eight, Rhode Island seven, and Illinois six. But even that tremendous growth to the right by those swing states, that dramatic swing towards Trump, none of them can be considered swing states because they're so far left to begin with. California, for example, would have to repeat that same swing two more times to even be considered competitive. New York would have to move that entire eleven points all over again to be competitive, and then still it wouldn't be a reliably red state. But that takes us back to New Jersey. New Jersey swung ten points to the right, with Trump Winny forty six percent of the vote to Kamala Harris's fifty two two percent. This is the best any Republican has done in the state since two thousand and four, when George W. Bush only lost it by six point seven percent to Democratic nominee John Kerry, and only the third time in the last thirty five years that a Republican came within single digits of flipping this very blue state. So in twenty twenty four, New Jersey was basically as blue as Arizona was red. And if Arizona is a swing state, then is New Jersey. That's the big question that I'm going to sit there and grapple with because something else is going on. It's more than a single election, It's more than just Trump. Every month since June of twenty twenty one, Republicans have been registering more new voters than Democrats, sometimes by a few hundred, sometimes by several thousand, but it's added up. In June twenty twenty one, New Jersey had two point five to five million Democrats and one point four to six million Republicans and another two point four to three million independents. And I'll break down numbers like this, New Jersey had one hundred and twenty thousand more Democrats than independents and one million, ninety thousand more Democrats than Republicans. So fast forward to twenty twenty five, when the new registration numbers just came up on March first. March first one twenty five, Democrats had two point four to four to eight million registered voters, Republicans had one point six one million, and independence had two point four million. Now, I know it's a lot of numbers. Are just throw a to you. I'll make it easy outbreak down this way, the Democrats voter advantage. Voter enrollment advantage in New Jersey went from one point zero nine million to eight hundred and thirty four thousand, so two hundred and sixty thousand voter advantage collapse over the course of four years. People registering for third party Actually, if you can mind, all the third parties have forty thousand more voters than Democrats do, which wasn't the case New Jersey. Usually Democrats were always the dominant party. And now remember voter registration changes like people changing their voter orstration. That is usually the last part of some one's political evolution. In other words, people will switch how they vote. They'll switch to what podcast they listen to, what papers they read, how they vote in local elections, usually in the national elections, or vice versa, depending on which election is coming up. The last thing to change is someone's actual voter registration. That's the last thing that's that they're going to do. They will be a registered Democrat and but Republican or vice versa, sometimes for decades before they actually make the switch, which is why I state like West Virginia or Kentucky or Louisiana had huge Democrat voter advantage dating back from the nineteen fifties, even though they'd been Republican states for many, many many years, going back to the Regular Revolution and Nixon Revolution. But that's the case for New Jersey. We're seeing this mass swing to the right, and we're seeing it with people actually re registering to vote. Twenty twenty four was not isolated, wasn't in a bubble. Twenty twenty four was the third consecutive election that New Jersey moved to the right. In twenty twenty one, New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy, he was supposed to sail to an easy reelection victory. Most polls had him winning between nine and eleven points, and he ended up winning by just three against Jack Chitdarelli, who was running again for governor this year. Three points was a shocker, and Jack Chitdarelli did not have national support. In twenty twenty two, Republicans gained a congressional seat in the state, despite it being massively jerrymandered in favor of Democrats. In twenty twenty two, Republicans actually gained a congressional seat in the US House delegation, and the state's voting population moved five points to the Republican that was in the midterms of twenty twenty two. They moved another three points in twenty twenty four in the House. Now, it hasn't all been smooth sailing for the New Jersey GOP. They did lose six state Assembly seats in twenty twenty three, but that was mostly due to redistricting. Republicans have actually only decreased their support in that massive landslide loss by two points in the popular vote from the previous year when they won six Assembly seats. Yet all this proves is that there's a slow but progressive drum beat tours the GOP in the Garden State. Who knows. Like I said, we've been here before. George W. Bush became very very close to putting New Jersey in play in two thousand and four. I'll bite with a much different coalition. He had a lot more suburbanites in places like Morris County, while Trump has a lot more urban and minority voters in places like Pa sae It County. But he was the first Republican since George H. W. Bush to get that close in nineteen ninety two. So nineteen eety two, two thousand and four, in twenty twenty four, it's almost like every decade or two we're seeing this swing. This could be the permanent one though, If the realignment is real, If these former Democrats with heavy emphasis on the ethnic white Italians like an Ocean County and Asians and Hispanics, it's all very possible that this will be the coalition that makes New Jersey into play, makes New Jersey the next swing state. One last set of numbers before we get to our guests. An Emerson College poll, which is a hit and miss polling company. It's not my favorite, but I'll take it because it's not the worst. In late January, they found that President Donald Trump is more popular than Democratic Governor Phil Murphy in New Jersey. Phil Murphy is leaving office with a forty four percent approval rating, which isn't terrible, but when you consider among Republicans it's only fourteen percent and among independence is twenty seven percent, you realize on just how much he needs Democrat how much only Democrats are really supporting him, and supporting him by a lot. So could this mean that we end up with the red New Jersey, a Republican governor in the state or Republican legislature. Let's talk to our guest who's trying to make it all happen. You're listening to It's a numbers game with Ryan Grodowski. We'll be right back. Scott Pressler has become iconic among Republican circles, being over six feet tall with long brown hair flowing beautiful brown hair. People have taken notice because he's one been outspoken Trump supporter, but also because he's done the really hard work of registering new voters. He runs the nonprofit Early Vote Action, intending to register voters and get them to get Republicans vote early, which would be wonderful. Scott, thanks for being on the show.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you, Ryan.
Speaker 3: Well, we delivered Pennsylvania last year and this year we were headed to the Garden State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the episode's all about New Jersey. So I want to know before we get started. You know, people have known you for going out and registering voters and writing letters before that. I remember when you used to write letters thank you people vote for voting for Trump. This is back in like twenty seventeen. How did you get started in politics and was this always your ambition to work in politics.
Speaker 3: No, I never thought I would be doing this life. I graduated from college. I couldn't find a job despite graduating with a three point six y three in criminal justice. But this was under Obama. The economy was heearable. It was hard for millennials to find their place in society. And so as I'm walking dogs for a living, as I'm working at an elementary school, which were not my passions, but I understand that those are good integral parts of our society. I went, gosh, we can continue on this direction with President Obama, or I can be a cog in the machine and I can try to change society for the better, and so in twenty fourteen, I moved to Texas.
Speaker 2: That's why I always have cowboy boots.
Speaker 3: And my first political job ever was helping to elect now Governor Greg Abbot down in Galveston, Texas. And so for me, it's really been over the last decade a political evolution of going from starting with Governor Abbot to defeating Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen to protect the Supreme Court, to doing trash pickups in twenty nineteen inspired by President Trump. Oh yeah, and now I'm really I think seen as one of the voter registration gurus on the right that has become a political strategist for the Republican Party.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, Scott, You're one of the people that I can kind of relate to the most in the sense of like you have an idea and you put the wheels behind it and you just make it happen. There's really no fixed, you know, job, Like you probably don't know what you're going to be in five years, but if you if your brain thinks of something worth running towards, I'm you could probably do it. It's a very unusual like life, and there's not many people I know who kind of have it. So I just thought of that, like, so what you do is not easy, and I'm seeing you give a lot of seminars and speeches. You kind of spurred this like voter registration, grassroots effort, right, how is that? How did that come about? And what is that like?
Speaker 3: Net So, going into twenty eighteen, I was working for a not for profit that I couldn't be political, And I want to make it clear. Early Vote Action respectfully is a political action committee or APAC, so we can take unlimited contributions, but we are not tex depectable and.
Speaker 2: That's Early Voteaction dot com. So I just want to make that clue now.
Speaker 1: No, it's important, it's important.
Speaker 3: And I knew that twenty eighteen had the potential to be really bad for the president. You know, the Democrats kept saying over and over that Hillary won the popular vote, and you know, that was the me too movement, and it was the year of being a woman, and I was like, gosh, twenty eighteen is going to be so bad. So a month before the election, I was like, Okay, I need to quit my job. I'm going to do everything I can, travel to Florida and New Jersey all over and try to keep members of Congress in those seats. Now, ultimately we lost it, and so going into twenty nineteen was a regrouping period for me. And I was like, Scott, you have no job with Scott. The Republican Party right now just lost big time. What are we going to do to shake things up? And I just had this idea pop into my head, kind of like what you said just a moment ago, and I went, You're going to travel.
Speaker 2: The country and you're going to teach people how to register.
Speaker 3: To vote, because even the Republican Party is not doing the grassroots organizing required in order to win elections. My first event, Ryan was in Connecticut, where they have more cows than people over in that state. And my first event, and I think it was dan Berry, we got protested because I think the Democrats knew, Wow, this guy, if we don't stop him now, is going to become an organizer within the Republican Party. And despite the fact that they protested us, we had more than double, perhaps triple the amount of attendees. And I literally just started going across the country from Connecticut to Fuquey, Verina, North Carolina, down to Sarasota, Florida, and each of them I did, gathered more attendees, got bigger, My social media profile grew, and people went, Wow, this guy is getting stuff done. And so I spent twenty nineteen through twenty twenty two all on my lonesome organizing, traveling probably forty plus states across the country, teaching people how to register other people to vote.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really inspiring. First of all, I think I'm going to start talking about myself in third person when I'm having internal conversations like you. I think that that would be really good for me. But to know that it was I as I mean, we started, I don't even know what we met, but I saw the growth happen, and I saw the growth happen very quickly because it is very hard work and it's something that is not sexy and it's not glamorous, and most people don't want to do because there are easier, sexier, glamorous things to do. When we talked, we spoke in twenty twenty four or twenty twenty three, whatever. I mentioned to you that there were forty four million non college educated white Americans who were not veraged voting. Two point eight million were in Pennsylvania. What did you notice in Pennsylvania that other people didn't like? How did you even find how to like non registered people?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: I am very much a data guy and mathematical and so here's how I approach elections. I went, gosh, Joe Biden quote unquote one a Pennsylvania by eighty thousand votes in twenty twenty, and I went, okay, how are we going to recoup those eighty thousand voters and turn those into Republicans? And so I went as opposed to conversion and persuasion, which are important. Don't get me wrong. We need to be in the business of courting Democrat voters. But ultimately, there are so many Republicans that are not registered to vote. Eighty thousand truckers in Pennsylvania. I would assume logically the majority of those are going to be Conservatives. My organization is really vote Action. So I went, okay, a trucker is probably not voting because that person is busy serving us and they're probably driving rigs on election day. Let's get them a meal in ballot, Let's get them to vote early and lock in those eighty thousand votes. Then we have the Amish community over especially in the hub of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Now, this community, let's be real.
Speaker 3: Governor Shapiro, a Democrat, has been attacking, waging a war on their raw milk, their dairy they're farming. Then you have society as a whole, which is coming down on their bodily autonomy to choose not to have a vaccine put into their children, their families. And then you have the government coming down on their religious freedom and their school choice. And it just clipped, and I said, why are we not making a real concerted effort to register that.
Speaker 2: Amagh to vote?
Speaker 3: Knowing Ryan that they get married on Tuesdays in November, y'all, what happens on Tuesdays in November election day.
Speaker 2: Let's get the homage to Meilan Ballot. Let's get it.
Speaker 1: They only get married on Tuesday November.
Speaker 3: They get married largely on Tuesdays in November.
Speaker 1: Yes, I never knew that before. Okay, that's fascinating, all right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh no.
Speaker 3: And it was like a full circle moment because this was like a week prior to the twenty twenty four deadline to register to vote, and we're over in Lancaster at an Amish benefit and this Amish woman comes up to check her status because she can't do it herself online, so we did it for her. She wasn't registered, they removed her, so we got her registered and she goes, oh, you know what, I'd better get myself a meal on ballot.
Speaker 2: I'm going to three weddings on election day. And it just went.
Speaker 3: It was like an Aha moment that what I had been practicing in the field had been come into fruition.
Speaker 2: And we used mail in.
Speaker 3: Ballats to deliver President Trump the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Then we have eight hundred thousand veterans in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is the fourth largest home to veterans in the entire nation. So we went to every VFW, we went to every American legion, and you would be shocked by the amount of veterans that tell me, Scott, I already served our country. I already did my part. I don't have to vote because I already stopped communism overseas. And so really that's where I come in. And we have to court them and say, listen, thank you so much for your service. We're so grateful for your sacrifice. But communism is here domestically it's on our shores, and this is something we must be continuously vigilant by voting here in our country.
Speaker 2: And last, and probably the most important, and you'll notice all of these groups. What were you talking about with the forgotten men and American people, the white working class, Well, if you look at the demographics, I would assume that a lot of truckers are of that group, the homisher of that group, veterans are of that group. And last, hunters, three thousand hunters in Pennsylvania, thirty percent, three zero are not registered to vote. That's three hundred thousand votes.
Speaker 3: That is game over. That is the election. We went to every gun shop, every gun show, and I do believe that our work at early vote Action registering fifty five zero thousand voters helped to deliver the Commonwealth and two congressional seats Ryan mackenzie and Resnahan protecting.
Speaker 1: Seven eight right.
Speaker 3: Seven and eight, and then protecting Scott Peri in tenths over in York, Adam Staffin. And then last, the most important thing that we helped deliver as a family was Senator Dave McCormick.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean his vote, his election was very very tight. So yeah, absolutely, I completely agree you're listening to It's a numbers game with Ryan Gerdowski. We'll be right back after this message. Going back to New Jersey. You know in twenty twenty one that Phil Murphy the governor, won by eighty four thousand, two hundred and ninety four votes. That was his margin of victory over Jack Chidrelli. The Republicans since them have one hundred and seven thousand new voters and Democrats have lost one hundred and twenty eight thousand voters. There's clearly momentum Republicans in the state, in the Garden State. What is your goal then, going forwards is how many you want to write short to vote next? I guess seven months or whatever it is. Six months.
Speaker 3: Sure, well, it's kind of it's kind of fortuitous that I would be heading to New Jersey, a state that was lost by approximately eighty thousand votes, and twenty twenty one after helping to deliver Pennsylvania, another commonwealth that was decided by eighty thousand votes. And so my feeling in this race is, as you just mentioned, the numbers are already moving in our direction. Republicans have gained, Democrats have lost, and in fact, if you have been looking at the data, and the month of January, Democrats lost two thousand voters statewide. Republicans gained ten thousand in January. Then the Secretary of State did a purge in the month of February that Democrats lost eighty seven thousand voters. Republicans lost thirty seven thousand voters, for a net loss for Democrats of forty nine thousand voters. So when you take that twenty twenty one was decided by eighty thousand and the Democrats already done down approximately fifty nine thousand, that shows me. Listen, my New Jersey people that are listening right now, if we get every single Trump voter out to vote this year on Tuesday, November fourth, twenty twenty five, you will replace Democrat Governor Murphy with a Republican governor.
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: Now is does you do amazing? Where is the R and C doing anything to help you?
Speaker 2: I will say I want to give a shout out.
Speaker 3: So here is a departure, and look, I'm not here to I'm not here to be antagonistic. That's not my goal. I'm a nice guy. Let's just say the previous administration did not invest in twenty twenty one in New Jersey. However, you know what's already happened, Ryan and February, just a week ago, Chairman Michael Wattley was at an event in New Jersey. Casey Crosby, the coach here that replaced Laura Trump, is doing in a event with me on March.
Speaker 2: Thirteenth with Chairman Carlos Santos and Union County, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: And I know, I know we're talking New Jersey right now, but this is important. You know what's happening on April first, there's a Wisconsin Supreme Court election that is going to decide which party controls the Supreme Court going into twenty twenty eight. Casey Crosby, that beautiful coach here that we have with the rn C, she is already coming to Wisconsin, something that the RNC didn't do in twenty twenty three when we lost the Supreme Court. So this new RNC is transformative and is finally listening to the grassroots and is working with the grassroots.
Speaker 1: Now. Union County, for those who don't know, is very democratic. It's in the metropolitan New York City area. That's where we saw the biggest Republican growth in the last election, huge growth in Passaic County up everything near it touches the New York City metro area and Kathy Hokals congestion taxes not popular in that area. I will tell you as a as a lifelong New York it's not really popular outside Manhattan. The Have you noticed any continued push from these areas. There's a lot of Hispanics, a lot of Asians, But I mean, have you seen this kind of continued change? What have they said to you? If you've met any voters who changed their minds?
Speaker 3: Well, part of it is seeing the change in leaderships. So number one is Carlos Santos, clearly of Hispanic descent, is now the chairman of Union County. He wasn't He earned his way into that position. And over in Kenilworth at a VFW hall just weeks ago, we had two hundred and forty six attendees in February in New Jersey and Union County. It's nice saying those momentum and Bean County.
Speaker 1: By the way, you cannot get two hundred and forty six. There weren't two hundred and forty six Republicans, let alone, I mean two years ago. It is I think Union County, I'm pretty sure was the only county Chris Christi loss when he had his landslide in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: I'll look that up later.
Speaker 1: I might be wrong. I'm pretty sure that I'm corrected as the only county loss. That's how democratic it was, despite winning the state by twenty points, super democratic. I cannot believe there were two hundred and forty six Republicans in a single room in the county.
Speaker 3: Oh oh well, what we're going to do is, when this clip is up there, this audio, I'm going to reply with the video of me with the two hundred and forty six people behind me. Because you know that I like to show the work that I do, and so there's a Scott Presler video for every single event that I do.
Speaker 2: But I do want to give a shout out to Passaic County. There's a wonderful man.
Speaker 3: His name is Anthony and he is the owner of gunn for Hire in Passic County, New Jersey. Now, as you mentioned, there are two very critical communities that are within this county that I think are going to be decisive to try to our Republican candidate winning the governorship this November and those are a the Hispanic community, but especially our Puerto Ricans and our Dominicans. They are heavy in this district. And you know what gives me hope. We did a training over at gun for Hire. We were registering people to vote. I taught voter registration. We even registered one of the workers, the young people that was getting people's waivers to go and shoot there at the establishment, and several members of Hispanic community that are running for State Assembly came over to me.
Speaker 2: These were all young Hispanic men and it was just so cool to see that the tide is.
Speaker 3: Really shifting and that the Republican Party is this faith, family, finance, freedom party, and I think that is what is attracting the Hispanic community to us. But one community that we also must continue to shore up, especially after the track jity of October seventh, is the Orthodox Jewish community. There was a lot of room for growth, and so we are making a concerted effort to get the Orthodox in Pasaic registered. And also over in a town called Lakewood, over an ocean.
Speaker 1: Super super super Jewish, they actually elected. They voted for Trump. I used margins and they elected a Democrat for the state House who was a Rabbi. I don't think that that guy can hold on though, because Orthodox usually have huge turnouts in off yr elections, but when everyone's voting, the numbers aren't that high. So hopefully we'll be in back that seat too well.
Speaker 3: And Republicans were also smart, Ryan, because what we did is, look, we understand the different needs of the state. The June tenth primary, New Jersey June tenth primary, so everybody registered with a party so you can vote in your closed primary. They actually moved it back a week because of the religious recognization of one of the spiritual holidays that they're having. So that shows me that the Republican Party is listening and they're going, Wow, we can get more people to vote if we choose a date.
Speaker 2: That's not on a religious holiday.
Speaker 1: Well, Scott, I gotta tell you, in Passaic County, usually the only reason Dominicans and Puerto Ricans would be getting together at a gun show is to shoot each other. But they're getting together for you because you are bringing every louve, bringing to quote the great Moire Rose from schitz Creek. You have all the bigger of a wartime operator. Thank you so much for being on this show where can people go to get involved, get active and join your organization?
Speaker 2: Thank you well. I want to be clear.
Speaker 3: In addition to our work helping to flip the New Jersey governorship from blue to red on Tuesday, November four, twenty twenty five, we are continuing our work in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. We are going to be expanding to Nevada, and in twenty twenty six, we're going to help President Trump keep the House of Representatives. If you want to support our work financially, then I encourage you today help me hire more staff in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and Nevada. Please go to Early Vote Action dot com. That's Early Vote Action dot com.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: We can receive unlimited financial contributions. We also accept crypto Ethereum solana, So if you would like to give us some sutoshi's today, we welcome you at our Early Vote actions.
Speaker 1: Scott, you are so great. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for doing this. I know you're such a busy man. We'll hopefully speak soon and I'll keep everyone updated all your great thanks. Thank you again for listening to a numbers game with Ryan Gardowski. Appreciate you being here. Please like and subscribe. It really really matters to our podcast. We like and subscribe on Apple Podcasts, iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. We'll see you next week.