Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply. All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 3: Welcome in episode one eighty three, What's Right with Nick Right? In this episode of What's Right with Nick Right is brought to you by the McDonald's App. I love the McDonald's app because I can order my favorites anytime I want, have them delivered to me whenever and wherever. Ordering on the app is so easy going to place an order right now, it's gonna be delivered to me before the end of the show. Just go to the McDonald's app opened up, click on my recent orders. Actually, because this is exactly what I got last Tuesday from here, done it, same delivery location, same restaurant, Done and done. All right. See that's how easy it was. Nine folks on the show, while McDonald's brings the food right to my door, so welcome. In episode one eighty three, What's Right with Nick Right? A ton to do. It's our gambling show, guys. I'm gona be honest with you. The picks have been, as Demonse would call him, mid this year, we're three and two or two and three every week, which means we don't have such a hole we can't pull ourselves out of. But we're not making anybody money. What are the teasers Demonse one and three not great. Yeah, I mean so the and so Demanse's not doing great. I'm not doing great unlike last week. However, I love the board. This week there were four. To me, I only really even had trouble on one of the games. There were four games. I loved. It feels like a five and oh, now you might say, Nick, they always you always say it feels like five, and oh no, I don't because it doesn't always feel like five. And oh last week I did it and I was like, I'm hoping for three and two. Last week there were so many one and a half and two and a halfs. It was brutal and I got you know, in some ways I got unlucky last week in not getting three and two because mahomes slide at the one is what cost me that game. But I mean smart play, but that's what costs me. But so we'll get into the gambling show or the picks in about twenty minutes, but first we must get to what missed the cut. On today's show, James Harden reporting to the Sixers camp a day late. The Lakers can't stop talking about the Nuggets and Kelsey in the NFL overdoing it with swift. Hold on it real quick. It is not the Lakers that can't stop talking about the Nuggets. The Nuggets started all of this, and now Michael Malone is trying to distance himself from it. You can't have the play by play guy call Mike Malone the Lakers, daddy, have Michael Malone mott Lebron James and say I'm considering retiring too, and then all of a sudden be like, why won't they stop talking about us? That's not how this works. And I don't put it on jokic't put it on Jamal Murray. But Michael Malone made this bed and now he's like, oh no, we're focused on right now. It's a bunch of nonsense if you ask me. But I am still in football mode. So let's get to the NFL.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Demonsey, All right, San Francisco and Dallas face off in the game of the year and a potential NFC championship preview this Sunday. We know you aren't going to give party his credit, but let's talk about a guy by the name of Christian McCaffrey. He's gotta be playing the best at his position than anybody else?
Speaker 5: Right now? What do you do? What are your thoughts on Christian McCaffrey.
Speaker 3: I think he's been exceptional and I listen, Christian McCaffrey's playing like the best running back in the league. I know we're gonna get into some potential MVP talk for him, but I want to talk about what you said at the front end, which is that I won't give Brock Purty any credit. I let me ask you this, demonse, Let's put this conversation on its head for a moment. Do you think right now, Pooka Nikua is one of the two or three best receivers in football that right now, Pooka Nikua, take Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Jamar Chase, Devonte Adams, Ceedee Lamb, Is, Stefan Diggs, all these guys. Is Pooka Nikouah better than all or at least the vast majority of them?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 4: Or no? No, But we need more time to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Okay, the answers no, Everyone would say the answers no. But why look at his numbers? Are you holding against him that he was a fifth round pick? What? He has more catches than everyone, He has more yards than everyone, but justin Jefferson, Oh, your contextualizing how he is getting those yards and catches and saying, despite the numbers, I don't think he's as good as the number of suggests. What more do you want him to do? Every game he's playing the league. He's an excellent he's not making mistakes. We do this all the time. And when I say take brock Purdy off the Niners, put him somewhere else, flip flop Trevor Lawrence and Brock Purty and what teams better? What teams? Y wou said, Well, that's not fair. Why is it not fair? Demonse? Let me ask you a question. Who do you think is better? Jamal Murray or Damian Lillard? Who do you think is better?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You can't put me on the spot there. That's that's not an easy question in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not saying it. Okay right now, but tell me who do you think is better? Jamal Murray or Damian Lillard. I'm not saying either's bad. Obviously they're both excellent. Who do you think is better? If Jamal Murray were available?
Speaker 5: Go ahead, I'd say, dame, Okay, you'd say Dame.
Speaker 3: Everyone would say Dame so, but hold on a second. Jamal Murray's been to multiple conference finals. Since Dame Lillard's won a playoff series, Jamal Murray has won a championship. How can you say Jamal Murray's better? Well, because we believe if you put Dame on those Nuggets and Jamal on those Blazers, the Nuggets don't miss a beat and the Blazers are not any better. Why do we think so? We do this all the time. Why do we think Dame and Giannis are gonna fit great together? Because we are projecting what a guy would look like in a different situation we've never seen him in. We do this across sports all the time. We add context and our eye test to then apply it to what we're seeing from the athletes. And so people are so frustrated with me about not giving brock Purty credit, And what I am saying is I am frustrated that the vast majority of the rest of the sports world is taking away the credit earned by Christian McCaffrey, Deebo, Samuel Brandon, Ayuk, Trent Williams, Kyle Shanahan, Nick Bosa, Hafanga, Fred Warner, Dre Greenlaw, Javon Hargrave, Chavarius Ward, all these guys and just giving it to the quarterback. And what is extra maddening about it is I had this exact same argument four years about Jimmy Garoppolo, and folks were like, Nick, Nope, you gotta give Jimmy his credit. You got to give Jimmy his credit. And then Jimmy went out and now we are seeing Jimmy and he stinks, just stinks outside of San Francisco, and Jimmy got replaced with literally the last player picked in the draft. The team is even better, and people are like, well, that guy must be a star. No, he must not be. It is we actually got the real life experiment of what if you replace Jimmy Garoppolo with a random college quarterback that was fringe NFL? What would happen? We're seeing it, and the entirety of the sports media's reaction has been, well, that guy's awesome. And by the way, the added evidence of Jimmy Garoppolo now stinks. Do we think he just all of a sudden got bad or do we think it's the so I I will give Purty credit in this regard. I think brock Purty is better than Mac Jones. I think brock Purty is better than Canny Pickett. I think brock Purty is better than right now Bryce Young. I think he's better right now obviously than Desmond Ritter. I think brock Purty is better for the Niners than Daniel Jones would be because he doesn't make the critical error. I think brock Purty is better than Ryan Tannehill would be. But if you are asking me, am I convinced that right now the Niners wouldn't be better off with Kirk Cousins. No, I am not, and Kirk Cousins right now people are down on am. I convinced that the Niners would be Do I think brock Purty is better than Matt Stafford. Absolutely not, under no circumstances. Do I have any stats to back that up? Nope. But I watch the games, so I want to give Brock. I want to give the Niners credit. I want to give the awesome players on their team credit, and instead we are just laying it at the feet of the quarterback when we did the exact same thing with Jimmy Garoppolo. And some folks refuse to learn their lesson on it. So it is. It is an incredibly frustrating thing now one of the and we'll get to see it this weekend. I think the Cowboys win this weekend. I love them plus three and a half and I think they win assuming Micah Parsons plays, and he's been limited in practice, but I would imagine he's going to play. I think it is totally fair if against this cowboy Boys defense in a close game, if brock Perty goes out there and makes some big time plays on Sunday night, that I come back on Tuesday and say that's an added data point. Maybe I sold him short. But for a guy who has played two minutes and fifty two seconds of his NFL career while trailing in the fourth quarter, I am allowed to say I want to see him in an adverse situation before I just say he's one of the greatest draft picks ever. Because right now, the the and one last point on this, because demand say, what's the what's the follow up question about? You?
Speaker 5: Stole Christian McCaffrey Shine again.
Speaker 4: Christ McCaffrey has around the same odds as Trevor for MVP.
Speaker 5: Right now, do you see any value in that.
Speaker 4: Maybe go ahead a little added one, what about Shanahan for plus one thousand for Coach of the year.
Speaker 3: Maybe they usually actually give Coach of the Year not to the coach of a great team, but to the coach of a team that like overachieved or surprised people. And so the and right Demiko Ryans. That would be if like the Texans were to somehow win a wildcard spot get a wildcard spot, I think Demiico would definitely win Coach of the Year. On the Christian McCaffrey MVP thing. That to me, now, I think he has a chance. But that is more insulting to brock Purty than anything I say. The fact that brock Party leads the NFL in passer rating has not thrown an interception, and the question is is the running back of his team the MVP of the entire NFL tells you everything you need to know about what people actually think. And this is the other reason this is such a frustrating conversation for me. I think the vast majority of my colleagues across the networks on television agree with me on brock Party. They just don't want to say it because it makes them sound either mean or the numbers say different. But our guy, our number one listener of What's right Show, Dusty, he just texted this in the You know how, when a quarterback goes out demands the point spread changes. So as a for instance, what quarterback do you think is worth the most according to the point spread? Mahomes er Mahomes Mahomes is right. Mahomes is worth seven and a half points. There are two other There are two quarterbacks that are worth six and three quarters of a point six point five. This is according to Ben Fox. Who do you think those guys are?
Speaker 5: Uh? Burrow? Maybe not right now?
Speaker 3: Is very healthy Burrow? Is there a healthy Burrow? And who's the other one?
Speaker 5: You think? Josh?
Speaker 3: Or is it Josh Allen? Okay, so so thus far you having not seen this, you're perfect on it. Who do you think the next three are? Give me the names of who you would think the best the according to the points.
Speaker 5: This guy's out, Herbert Hurts.
Speaker 3: Herbert's next, Herbert's next, Aaron, but that doesn't really count, you know what I mean? Aaron Rodgers the and then Lamar Laar, Yeah, you would have said, Lamar, You just forgotten what I think definitely forgot oddly oddly after lamar Is DeShawn. But I think that's actually in part because they we saw the Brown's backup this week, Dorian Thompson Robinson. He was so bad that he's ready from UCLA that.
Speaker 5: It kills him.
Speaker 3: Okay, on that scale, according to that, what number do you think brock Party ranks the drop of his so a point and a half, by the way, is almost right. It's it's two points. But I'm saying where his rank is amongst starting quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: So thirty two, Uh yeah, twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Twenty three, he's twenty three. He's sandwich Mac Jones and Derek He's sandwich between Mac Jones and Derek Carr, which is just about right, by the way, really disrespectful to to Josh Dobbs because he's ranked thirty second because his backup's Kyler Murray, and they're saying Dobbs is worth a negative four and a half points again the spread, but that just means Kyler and Josh Dobbs been awesome. Well, that just means it's Kyler, because they're saying it's really Kyler's worth four and a half. You follow it because Kyler is the actual guy. So the guys in the twenties, Daniel Jones, Jordan Love, Mac Jones, Brock Purty, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett, Baker Mayfield, Bryce Young, c J. Stroud, Desmond Ritter, Sam Howell, Anthony Richardson, Josh Dobbs. Again, guys, that's just about right now? Is part of that that the Niners have a competent backup in Sam Darnold? Sure that they don't have, you know, a rookie backup or disastrous backup shore, But I I cannot wait for Sunday Night Football because we're gonna see Brock Perdy, I think, in a close game against an excellent defense. And I'm gonna ask the audience the same thing that I asked him the last time there was a Rock Party game on a standalone game on national TV. Just grab a little post it note and just have a little two columns wow and yikes. And every time he makes a throw that you say, Wow, that's a hell of a throw, give him a check mark. And every time he makes a throw you say yikes. Could have been disaster or it was disaster, But the check mark, my guess is you're going to end this game with a whole bunch of neithers. Like, there's Deebo Samuel running across the middle with no one within six yards of him in any direction. Pitch and catch a couple wows and five or six yikes, and we'll see all right next to Monsey.
Speaker 4: All right, Kansas City's one's three straight. But Mahomes thinks that he can play better and has taken the blame. It doesn't seem fair to put this on him, considering his lack of death at the receiver position.
Speaker 5: Or is it absolutely fair?
Speaker 3: Patrick Patrick gets it in a way a lot of people don't. There is the reason the Chiefs can get by with anyone playing receiver, with rotating new and young receivers in throughout the game and trying things out, is because they have the most talented quarterback ever to live, and the best quarterback in the league. If Patrick is not playing like that, the offense is not going to look great. Thus far, he has not been playing like that. It's not that complicated. It's also why I am so confident in the team because the defense has been excellent. Pa Checko has really popped in year two, and Kelsey is getting himself back into shape and back healthy, and they're three to one, with the one loss being by a single point in a game. Actually, I think Patrick's best game of the year was that game against the Lions. They just got but deviled by drops. He will be fine, he will get it right. And then all of a sudden, everyone that is arguing, oh my god, the Chiefs, miss Juju, the Chiefs, Miss McCole Hardman, are gonna realize they have about the same type of receiving core they had last year, and they scored the most points and had the most yards and hung thirty eight in the Super Bowl against arguably the league's best defense with a quarterback on one leg. But yes, the answer for the Chiefs problems is the best player I've ever seen playing better, because right now, the best player I've ever seen is playing like about the seventh best quarterback in the NFL. That will not get it done. This Chief offense, if they had Justin Herbert at quarterback, would be screwed. And Herbert's excellent. They need a uh, transcendent player at quarterback for this offense to do what it needs to do. And that's what they're gonna get.
Speaker 4: Go ahead do you think Mahomes can fix these issues by the time the season actually starts in November?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. I think that that's what this is about, is working these things out. And by the way, there is I mean, there's here's the Here is the scary thing for the Chiefs. They could look like they fixed the issues without having fixed the issues and to have some work to do at the end of the season. By that, I mean next four games before the Dolphins game, Vikings Broncos, Chargers Broncos. You don't have to have fixed your offense to light up those defenses. Like so, they could still have some problems, but almost have tricked themselves into thinking they don't when they go into that Brea, that Dolphins game seven and one. And by the way, you can light up the Dolphins without having necessarily fixed your issues. You can you know, the now you're gonna the Dolphins offense can light you up, So you're gonna have to but that that Dolphins defense can get God is the defensively exactly. And so listen, the if I were to tell you, you know, the Chiefs play this year the Bengals and the Bills and the Eagles at home, the Dolphins in Germany, you would say, Okay, those are your toughest games on the schedule. All of those games are after November, and they have the buye between Dolphins and Eagles. So yeah, I'm pretty confident Mahomes will get it right and they'll be fine next all Right.
Speaker 4: The Bucks look far and away like the best team in the NFC in the NFC South thanks to your guy Baker. But he's only he's on a cheap one year deal. Do you think the Bucks have seen enough to invest in Baker or what do you see?
Speaker 5: Having?
Speaker 3: No? Well, so I think that if he keeps this up, the Bucks should do what the Giants should have done, which is you franchise Tag. I'm gonna be right, you know, fair and consistent here. If you have a quarterback who had very concerning returns at various points in his career and then in the contract year pops like crazy, this prudent move is to franchise Tag him and see if he can string together consecutive excellent seasons. That's what the Giants should have done with Daniel Jones, and it's what the Baker, the Bakers, the Bucks should do with Baker.
Speaker 4: What's your follow up there, He's got the six best best odds to win Comeback Player of the Year at plus two thousand ish.
Speaker 5: Is that worth a bet?
Speaker 3: No, Listen, Tomorrow Hamlin's going comeback player. Yeah, I was about the Yeah, I mean every every other comeback player of your bet is insane. Like Tua can't win, Baker can't win. None of these other Damar played in a game. Once Damar was active in a game, which he was last week, he won the go ahead.
Speaker 4: I think so would go ahead honestly think Tua like I think Tua's got the best chance besides Tomorrow Hamlin. He's the best possible candidates to go up against go up against him. You think that there's no chance that anybody other Tomorrow Hamlin wins it.
Speaker 3: The guy's hurts up on the field, I mean we I mean, I mean the guy was you know, I think the I think he's medically died on the field and they brought him back and now he's playing. I mean, I think that he doesn't have to play well and I and that's that sounded cutting. I don't mean it to him. I'm saying it's not It's not based on how well he plays it's based on that he's playing that so I think that he he's just gonna win the award. So under normal circumstances, maybe someone else would have a chance, and Baker would be a great candidate. To me, Baker would be a better, a potential better candidate than Tua, because Tua is gonna be You don't tuas in like the MVP discussion. You're not usually in the MVP and Comeback Player of the Year discussion. So Baker to me, is a great candidate for it, but it's gonna be DeMar Hamlin.
Speaker 4: All right, next, all right, the Prince is a five and a half point underdog to the Bills in his kingdom of London. You gave up on Jacksonville and moved up move MVP, MVP favor Josh out On ahead of Trevor on Magic, Mahomes Mountain, whatever you want to call it. Yeah, what will it take for the Prince to reclaim is thrown behind Mahomes NFL's quarterback number two or second basketball A lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, listen, he's gonna I mean, it's gonna take months of excellent football. I mean, that's just the I already was ahead of everyone on it, and then Trevor's been good but not great. Now I do think here is where if I were the Bills and the Niners, I would be a little nervous this week. The teams this year that everyone has been like, oh my god, they're the it team have almost immediately gotten their come up. And almost immediately Week two, the Lions had gone to Arrow, had beaten the Chiefs. People are saying it's the Lions time, and and they lose at home to the Seahawks. Week three, when everyone is who was the falling all over themselves about what was it? I'm trying to there was a specific Week three game, No, no, no, oh the Cowboys. Week three this year the Cowboys, they beat the Giants forty to nothing, the Jets thirty to ten. They're talking super Bowl their ten point favorites. The Cardinals kick their teeth. In Week four, Oh my god, the Miami Dolphins might have the greatest offense we've ever seen in NFL history. They lose by four scores to the Buffalo Bills. So this week there's two teams that fall in the everybody falling all over themselves to give them credit. Camp one is the San Francisco forty nine ers on universally on top of everyone's power rankings, except for, of course, you know, the Committee's NFL tiers on first things first, and the Buffalo Bills. Both of those teams face very live opponents that all of a sudden, despite people kind of I don't want to say, forgetting about them, but not being so worried about them. With the Jags win this weekend, the Jags are ahead of the Bills in the standings. They'll both be three and two, and the Jags will have the head to have victory. With the Cowboys win this weekend, they will be ahead of the Niners in the standings. They'll both be four and one, with the Cowboys having the head to head victory. And so, not to spoil Nick's picks, but I like both of those teams in those spots there more so than all of a sudden, the Prince, you know, becoming accepted the second best quarterback in football. I think, I honestly think it would take months of excellent football before the national media thought that, And right now I don't think that right now now, I you know, I think he has that ability, but he hasn't performed up to that level. All right, do you want to do the Drew Holiday Lauren Holiday thing? Yes? Or no?
Speaker 5: You call it now, we can do it. We could definitely do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, let's do it. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: So, yeah, yesterday I sent a little tweet that I found on Twitter about Drew Holliday's wife.
Speaker 3: Oh you sent that to the group chat?
Speaker 5: I did.
Speaker 3: I didn't know you sent that to the group chat. Okay, all right?
Speaker 5: That makes me or what was that?
Speaker 3: I would have yeah, I would have been more. I thought, we have a let me displain this real quick. We have a What's right group chat. It's got like twelve people on it, and people send story ideas sometimes throughout it. I saw that and I was like, I don't think we're gonna talk about it. And then when you didn't respond to it, I was like, oh, Demonse's not interested in it either. Perfect, So I was we don't have to worry about it. But you didn't respond to it because you were the one that sent it. So that makes more sense now I understand why you're into it.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, crickets in the chat. D No, I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: Jew Holiday's wife is is upset with the NBA for dropping jew holiday without any type of warning. They had to move their kids and and she feels like they were they were slighted. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I think it would be incredibly difficult. I think the the part of this that people forget about we don't have and she sent she put out a long I g post. We don't have to people can go find it. She did the we don't have to put it up right now. You gave a good synopsis of it. I think the thing that people do forget about is the kids changing schools. And I think that is a brutal spot that I have real empathy for. I so I went to remember how I said. I went to a curriculum night the other night for Deanna's school. One of her classmates, I don't want to say the name, but one of her classmates that her dad or his dad. Her classmate's father played in the NBA for fifteen years, okay, and just retired a few years ago. He played in the same place for eight seasons, and then from twenty twelve till twenty nineteen he played one, two, three, four, five six, played for six teams in eight years Okay, and the process of having to pick up and move your kids, and the kids having to make new friends and start new schools. All of that, I imagine is incredibly difficult. And if you ever go to like NFL Coaches Wikipedia page, So let me try to think of like a good example of it. So let me the if you go to I'll do Wink Martindale, who is the defensive coordinator? Wait, Wink Martindale. Oh wait, that's the hold on Don Martindale. Sorry, Wink Martindale was a here, so was a television host. So some of these guys their careers. So like Wink Martindale, here's what he did from ninety four till twenty twelve, So that is what is that eighteen years he went Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Western Illinois, Western Kentucky, Oakland Raiders, Denver Broncos, Baltimore Ravens. And that, to be honest, is like par for the course. So I do have a lot of empathy for what that means on people and their families. I also think it's part of the deal and it just is what it is. There is there are pluses and minuses to every job in the world, and some have bigger pluses, bigger minuses, and across the spectrum. If you are a professional athlete, one of the trade offs is your entire life can be upended and you can be forced to move to a place you've potentially never lived in the blink of an eye. We can have empathy for that without having a lot of sympathy for it. I can feel for you while not feeling badly about it. It's just the deal. And I think Lauren Holliday, uh, you know, I think was upset that Drew didn't get a lot of notice. Well, that's a tough one because, as you mentioned Demanse, Let's say they knew this was a possibility and they give him a heads up about it, and then all of a sudden, the Blazers end up taking the offer from Miami. Then what happens. They've told Drew we might trade you, we want to let you know, get your family in order, and then they don't trade him. What happens then?
Speaker 5: True?
Speaker 4: I mean true, Yeah, It's it's a slippery slope. I also don't see Drew Holliday as the type of guy to keep that in his back pocket and like play different.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't. I tend to agree with you, but it damages the relationship. Even if he's gonna to play just as hard, it damages the relationship. It's like, wait, you were thinking of moving on for me? Does that mean Yannis didn't want me? Or was it? You know, there's the there are real potential problems, and I just you know, I think that there are. There are a lot of things that just is the cost of doing business and being a pro athlete. One of them is you're not necessarily going to have control over where you live and who you work for.
Speaker 5: It sucks.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean to be honest, yes, or Kevin Durant the best of the best. Well, Bradley Beal, to his credit, got a no trade clause, you know what I mean? Like, and Dame's better than Bradley Beal, but didn't have a no trade like the there's a cost to this stuff, and so I I understood what she was saying, but I I just think that that's kind of the deal. The there are.
Speaker 5: My buddy, last little won the finals.
Speaker 3: Won them a finals? Are they better with.
Speaker 5: Dam We will see.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean on paper, on paper, when when we map it out in our heads and think about what this player would look like next to this player.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, on paper they are. And you know what, the GM of the bucks, you know what, he doesn't want to have to do change his kids' school move because he got fired because the championship was as high as they got. And then Yannis left seriously like that is that is a real thing, and so the I understand the argument of that. But also the flip side to this is this is why I when players have leverage, I don't ever begrudge them using it because you can win a team a championship and two years later be traded without being told like that is the that you know, as as they say in The Godfather, this is the business we have chosen like that, that is that is the deal here, and so I I And by the way, Lauren Holiday and Drew Holiday, she was a great athlete in her own right. She then God, I don't want to get this wrong, but hold on, let me make sure I hold on. Lauren Holiday. Yeah, she had a brain tumor, and Holiday took time away from his career to take care of her and support her, and she ended up, you know, fully healthy. Now there's like eight years ago and she was an all time soccer player. So they have a really great relationship and they're a great story and so I'm I'm not casting Aspersions at all, but I just think this is good. This is the deal. Yeah, No, they and they have a I think they have a great story. They have a great story. And she was and I can't imagine. But you know, again, I don't want to make it too about me. But what I will say is I'll give you a four instance that is an exact not one to one, but a close one. At some point over the last seven years, there was a time when I thought that I might have to move to la for the television show. This was not and it was not in the last two years that this happened. This is a while back ago, and I thought that there was I thought that that was not only on the board, I thought it was going to happen that I was going to be moving to Los Angeles. In that moment, I had a choice to make, which was is it worth it uprooting my family, my kids, moving them across country. I'm all start over or do I you know, do I quit? Do I just look for work here in New York? What would I do? Now I ended up not having to ended up not having to go, and we stayed and it was all fine, and it would have been fine either way. But the reason I bring that up is the other option at always is you can quit. And I don't mean to be harsh about it, but if it, if it really is like I don't want to uproot my wife and kids, like you're not drafted into the military, you can just do that. Well, you can quit, or you can try to be you know, by coast. You can say, hey, five months a year, you know, Daddy's gonna work and we're gonna be here, like you have. You have a choice in the matter, even if it's not a perfect choice. All right, we'll do the gambling show next. What's right?
Speaker 6: We're so done with New Year, New You. This year is more you on Bumble. More of you shamelessly sending playlists, especially that one filled with show tunes. More of you finding geminis because you know you always like them, More of you dating with intention because you know what you want and you know what we love that for you. Someone else will too, be more you this year and find them on Bumble.
Speaker 3: Welcome back. In episode one eighty three, of What's Right. This episode of What's Right with Nick Grady is brought to you by the McDonald's App. How many times have you been in that situation where you've had a really long day, you're hungry, last thing you want to do is cook a meal or even leave your house to go pick something up. I've been in that situation hundreds of times, and one of my go tos, my saving grace, has been the McDelivery option in the McDonald's app. We're talking getting McDonald's delivered right to your door, just like this. You guys heard, hold on it. I there, it is right there. I ordered this right at the top of the show. We went a little long in the A block and it was brought to me right during the commercial break. I got the classic sausage egg McMuffin meal hash browns right here, the sauce McMuffin here. I'm gonna eat it after the show because I tried eating this during the show a couple of weeks ago. Demansey said, hearing me chew and the microphone didn't was not pleasant for the audience. So I'll do it afterwards. And now every time you ordered mc delivery, the McDonald's app. It earns you points towards free food, and everybody likes free food, so there's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Download the McDonald's app today at participating McDonald's delivery prices maybe higher than a restaurant's delivery, and other fees may copyright twenty twenty three. McDonald's. All right, demons, we gotta start winning. There's no way around it. I gotta start winning for my reputation. You gotta start winning because you need the money. So for all both of these reasons, we gotta start winning.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 3: I went two and three last week. We can show you the record, or we can show you the picks and go through them. Pittsburgh minus I gotta get off Pittsburgh for a bit. I you know, I have been riding with them. They are such a depressing team to have bet on when the it's just clear, oh, they're not gonna be able to move the ball. They were laying two and a half at Houston. That one, that was a bad one. These other picks, I'm going to defend Cleveland minus two and a half against Baltimore. I made that pick with Deshaun Watson playing now, Deshaun I have been very down on you guys know that, but it was a fifth round rookie making his first start that no one expected to show in, practiced all week, was cleared by the doctors, and then on game day was like, I can't go, So that one not my fault.
Speaker 4: But by the Waity, yeah, Sean Watson would have had had Deshaun Watson would have had to have.
Speaker 5: His best game that game in order to win it.
Speaker 3: I agree with you with this caveat how much did it impact the way the rest of his team played that the morning of the game, the quarterback who's was cleared and you expected to play was like, ah, guys, you know my contract is fully guaranteed and I'm just not feeling it today. Like how many downstream effects did it have? And then Kansaity might have signed and a half against the Jets again, they're up seventeen to nothing and Mahomes is running into the end zone to cover and then takes a knee. But whatever, I lose. Tampa plus three and a half against New Orleans they win by seventeen outright. Seattle plus one and a half against the Giants, they win by twenty one out right, So I actually feel better about last week's picks and the record suggests, but I'm still nine and eleven over the course of the year. So let's now get to the five picks this week, four of which I feel awesome about, one of which I'm a little squeamish about.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Wait, did it go from five to four in the matter of a block?
Speaker 5: It is no.
Speaker 3: I said I loved four of my five picks and one of them I'm not sure about. But I still said, it feels like five and oh, it feels like five and oh minimum of four in one. All right, go ahead, all right.
Speaker 4: So first off, we've got Jags plus five and a half versus Buffalo in London, though, which is key.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it is key. The Jags have been there now for two weeks, the Bills flying maybe a little two. What do we know, demanse about the Bills and Josh Allen in particular, what typically comes at right after the highest highs, A nice little dip. That's why that's why you have nicknamed him, you know, Magic Mountain Allen the roller coaster. That's your nickname, not mine. And Jacksonville is in an odd spot in that they got the win this past week, but it was I think the fourth straight game. They can't be thrilled with how they played Week one against the Colts. They needed to come back against the Chiefs and Texans. They played terribly. They defensively did well against the Falcons, but offensively, I felt left a lot of meat on the bone. And I think they are in a spot in this In this game, they absolutely can win out right and certainly can cover the five and a half. So I'm getting five and a half points from a team that I think can win outright, is going to be able to move the ball on Buffalo through the air, assuming their offensive line can hold up to a degree. So for all those reasons, I like the Jags. By the way, favorites are twenty ten and one against the spread in London games, so that part is not good for me. What is good for me Doug Peterson is thirty and twenty three against the spread as an underdog, and Trevor Lawrence is two and one straight up and against the spread in London games. So I like the Jags. They can win outright. I'm getting five and a half points. I like the Jags plus five against Buffalo.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, you got Arizona plus three and a half versus Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I just think that right now Arizona's at home and right now has the better quarterback. I mean the idea that since is still getting priced like Joe Burrow is their quarterback, as someone wearing that jersey and by that name is the quarterback. But Joe Burrows is the low It has a lower passer rating and fewer yards per attempt this year than Zach Wilson. Joe Burrow is two of twenty one on passes traveling more than fifteen yards in the air. He is an injured player that his team keeps putting out there. They cannot score in the first half of any of these games, and the the market, I guess, just doesn't know what to do with them. And so go ahead. It looked like you wanted to say something there.
Speaker 4: Well, I would stay away from betting on any Cincinnati Cincinnati games. I don't even trust the Cardinals plus three and a half. It is Joe Burrow. At the end of the day, he might be hurt, but I think there's no telling where Like he starts to vibe well with this slight injury, like he could still go off and destroy the Cardinals in my opinion.
Speaker 3: But well, the thing is this, it's not like he's been getting better. He's been The Titans game was almost as bad as Week one. The Bengals this year in two road games have scored a total of six points and in the first halfs of their games this year. Week one zero first half points, Week two, I'm sorry, first quarter, I should say zero first quarter points. Week two zero first quarter points, Week three zero first quarter points, and Week four against the Titans, three first quarter points and then zero points the rest of the game. They have been incredibly slow starting team. They were very fortunate to get that win against the Rams. I know they're desperate. I think Arizona can win outright, and certainly can cover three and a half. I like it, and it started it by the way, this line opened at four and a half, got bet all the way down to three, and is now sitting around three to three and a half in a lot of spots. I like Arizona plus the points, all right.
Speaker 4: Next, all right, you've got the Rams plus four and a half versus Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: All right, So this is the one that I am a little squeamish on. But it should be noted that aside from that game at Tampa on Thursday Night Football, the Eagles the last two years, while they win, they don't typically blow people out on the road. Last year on the road beat Detroit by three, beat Washington by sixteen. That obviously, blowout Arizona by three, Houston by twelve, d by one, that the Bears by five, the Cowboys they lost by six, and then they did blow out the Giants by twenty two. The Eagles have been dominant at home and good enough to win on the road. So and then this year obviously the Patriots game was a five point game. You then add to it that Rams might be getting Cooper Cup back. Jalen Hurts is not used to going to the West Coast, only played one game on the West Coast up to this point in his career. And Jalen Hurts is eight and thirteen against the spread outside of Philly, which which is to the point I was making, which is they don't blow people out on the road. So the Rams getting four and a half against a Philadelphia team that my opinion is still working through some things I like, but this is the one I'm the least confident in by the Rams getting four and a half points. All right, next.
Speaker 5: Kansas City minus four at Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I picked the Chiefs last week, but I typically, and you know this, Demanse, do not pick the Chiefs and knicks picks like historically. It's not something I've done a ton of. They aren't a great covering team the last couple of years with Mahomes. In fact, they're six and twelve. They're last eighteen against the spread, but this line is only four points. I do not trust at all the Vikings defense, and I think the Chiefs defense can force some of those Kirk Cousins turnovers. I think Trent McDuffie on Justin Jefferson should be an awesome matchup the entire game, and I know he won't be like just manned man on him, but I think the Chiefs defense will be able to get to Cousins. The Chiefs need to have a game where the offense gets rolling. I think they absolutely can do this, and this feels like one of those games the Chiefs are up a touchdown basically start to finish. I don't think the Chiefs necessarily like blow them out, but I do think that they're up a full score the entire way, and I like the their ability all of a sudden to salt games away with Pacheco on the ground, like they did this past week where they had the ball for the final seven and a half minutes. For all those reasons, I like Kansas City minus four.
Speaker 5: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Okay, thanks go ahead.
Speaker 5: Wait what, No, you're good. I appreciate it. Wait that was sharp to another sharp. I'm just telling you, no, I appreciated it.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Dallas.
Speaker 4: Dallas plus three and a half at San Francisco, you can get four.
Speaker 3: Now apparently it's moved to four. Well, I liked it at three and a half. I certainly like it at four. The Cowboys are ten and four straight up and eleven and thirteen against the spread in their last fourteen night, which is the best in the league over that stretch. Now, the Niners are covering machines. The Niners the last nine regular season games they've covered. They obviously also have won. You take out the NFC Championship game. They've won like fourteen or thirteen straight games, and they've scored thirty points in every game this year. I understand that factor. I just think that this is a field goal game in either direction. I think Dallas has the better defense and the better quarterback, and I'm getting the four points. And so I understand no one's been able to slow down brock Perty in this Niners offense except for Dallas in the playoff game last year. Now, the Niners defense made Dak look terrible in that game, so the Niners won anyway. But this Niners team has scored thirty plus in if you, I mean you look at what they've done again, take out the NFC title game where they were out of quarterbacks. This year they have scored thirty, thirty, thirty, and thirty five. And last year, leading to into that Cowboys game, the Niners had scored thirty seven, thirty seven, thirty eight, forty one, and then nineteen points against the Cowboys. So I think the Cowboys defense and dan Quinn can slow down the Niners offense. Keep in mind, dan Quinn was the decordinator for Atlanta when Kyle Shanahan was the offensive coordinator for Atlanta and that Super Bowl season, the year they blew the Super Bowl. I think Dallas wins. I certainly think it's a field goal game, and so I like the Cowboys go ahead to Masey.
Speaker 4: Oh so something of note party was six and oh straight up at home in night games at Iowa State.
Speaker 3: So okay, Well that I didn't know that, I a so don't care all that much about. But now I'm not taking it. I mean the fact that he was excellent at night at Ohio State. He's been excellent at night in the pros. I think he's three and zero straight up and against the spread in night games as a pro. This is the game of the year up to this point. As you mentioned earlier, I believe Dallas wins if they lose, I do not think they get blown out. So Dallas plus four works for me. All right, So here are the picks for the week. I've got Jacksonville getting five and a half in London. I've got the Rams getting four and a half at home against Philly. I've got Arizona getting three and a half at home against Cincinnati, Casey laying four on the road in Minnesota, and Dallas getting three and a half at home. All Right'm sorry in San Francisco. And really now it's Dallas getting four in San Francisco. So we have two straight up home dogs, one home, one neutral site dog, one road favored in Kansas City, and one road dog in Dallas. All right, demons, let's talk about the teaser didn't go the way we had hoped, we'd go ahead, tell us about.
Speaker 4: It, all right, So we went too and one last week, those those of you guys that have been trailing me, I apologize. I just want to let you know that I'm actually trying with these things.
Speaker 5: Uh, it's is U.
Speaker 4: And if you notice, this teaser was actually dead the day that we put the teaser.
Speaker 5: On the on the internet.
Speaker 3: Uh, that's what made it tough. To lose your teaser on Thursday night. Football is always painful.
Speaker 4: So we had we had Green Bay plus seven and a half versus Detroit that obviously failed. Houston plus nine at Pittsburgh looked pretty well. Chicago plus nine and a half versus Denver. I was super wary of that bet that also hit. So here's this week's I'm gonna get us back in track fin a rally. Here, this one's gonna hit. I'm looking you guys in the eyes and telling you this one is going to hit. This hit this week.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: Uh, so we've got a three team seven point teaser at plus one twenty. We've got Baltimore at plus three versus Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: I don't have what the original line is.
Speaker 4: But the teaser seven points, which is seven point is Pittsburgh Pittsburgh exactly on the fly math while being nervous doing this podcast just doesn't work for me. All Right, we got Miami minus three and a half versus the Giants, and then we got Houston plus nine at Atlanta. This is an A plus teaser. I don't know what you're great is, but it's it's an A plus. You know very good about this teaser. Didn't Yes, I didn't. I teased through the zero on what Baltimore?
Speaker 5: Yes? And then Miami Miami? Yeahs. Houston was great the Houston Eyes.
Speaker 3: I I think you're probably gonna win this one because the gambling gods like to reward bad process. But this is this is the first, this is the first one that I had to do this to you. This is an F grade. This isn't an F grade graded teaser. I'm grading. I'm grading it as an F. You take your Baltimore from minus four to plus three, so you're teasing through the zero and you're not even getting the full three, meaning it pushed that leg pushes if they lose by three. Miami, you're teasing and not getting the three at all, and Houston at least is better. But yeah, this is an teaser.
Speaker 5: Hold on, okay, mister f teaser. Every single teaser that you've given me a good grade on, I've lost.
Speaker 4: This was this, This was my week of not taking your process I wanted to do.
Speaker 5: My process was.
Speaker 4: I'm not worried about teasing through the zero. I'm not worried about key numbers. I'm just going off of vibes in the way that I feel about these games. All right, Okay, going crazy es, all right, crazy, This teas is gonna hit.
Speaker 5: It's gonna hit, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I think it will. I might bet it myself just to support you. But it's terrible process. It's just terrible process. All right, Demonse, what's the offer this week?
Speaker 5: Uh? This is the offer. Uh.
Speaker 4: After two less than optimal weeks at the casino, we're going back to the basics.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: The offer this week is called Demons's moving on. Uh.
Speaker 4: So we got party over one and a half touchdowns and Daniel Jones to throw an interception at plus two ninety one.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, Okay, so this.
Speaker 3: Is you just just abandoning Daniel Jones moving on to Brock Party. Yeah, I'm not gonna take that offer because I don't think Brock Party is gonna throw two touchdowns and the Daniel Jones I don't know that he throws a pick because that Miami defense is not super you know, opportunistic on that. So I actually don't like either side of this. But I do like the fact that you are moving on from Daniel Jones and attaching yourself to Brock Party. That's more fun. I think I think that one's pretty good. So I'm I'm happy about that. All right, here's what we're gonna do. Take quick, go ahead, demant say sorry, you kind of said.
Speaker 4: Something about Daniel Jones like replacing Brock Pardy on San Francisco and not being better. Like you said that you didn't think Daniel Jones would be a Yeah, he'd be able to do the same thing.
Speaker 5: That Brock Pardy does. I think he would, but that's fair. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's as accurate as Purty, and I think he now I think Pardy would maybe be worse than Daniel Jones on the Giants giant because he can't run for his life. But I think for the Niners, Purdy is better than Jones would be. All right, take quick break, come back, answer your questions. What's right? All right, demonse, Let's get to these questions before I got a run and go do television. Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 4: Austin Hackett asked, do you think the NFL should have a draft lottery like the NBA? What if the Bears done to deserve another great quarterback to ruin?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 3: I don't think a draft lottery. I like the way the NFL does it. But I also would support this idea that if you had a top three pick this year, you are ineligible for a top three pick the next year. You follow me, so, like if you were draft if you're the Bears drafting number one this past year, the best you can draft the following year is number four. That you shouldn't be able to have consecutive number one picks, and you shouldn't be able to throw a consecutive seasons. But I the draft lottery part of it, I think is if you're a terrible team that's never had a quarterback, I think that what gives you hope is that, all right, if we are so terrible, we can get a quarterback. So I don't think the I don't think the draft lottery is what the NFL needs, all right?
Speaker 5: Next, alec heavily? How many teams highly highly? Yeah? Sweet?
Speaker 4: How many teams could you put Caleb into their into their starting lineup and they be contenders?
Speaker 5: Would anyone besides Kansas City.
Speaker 4: Get worse with Sea week Caleb abbreviation quarterback?
Speaker 3: You're all right? Well, no, a lot of so like right now this moment. Of course, there are some teams other than Kansaity that would get worse, but not not all the teams. I mean, I think the Bills right now this moment would get worse. Not long term, but right now, this moment. I think that the Bengals, if Joe Burrow were healthy right now this moment would be worse. But with Caleb. But if you put Caleb on the Cowboys, the Niners, the Eagles, the three best teams in the NFC, throw the Lions in there as well, the four best teams in the NFC or four of the five best teams in the NFC, and mik you know, what I add the Seahawks, the five best teams in the NFC, all of them get better. I do believe Caleb right now this moment is better than Dak Purdy, Jalen Geno, and Golf. And I think all of those teams would be better. I do think he's that good. You looking at me like I'm crazy because I included Jalen. Yeah, I think caleb' is that good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 3: I think Caleb is that good and that refined already. I think all of those teams would be better right now with Caleb.
Speaker 5: All right, next, don't you all right?
Speaker 3: So Richard, you can ask me whatever you were gonna ask, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I noticed that college quarterbacks have like so much time to pass the ball in the pocket, Like I've noticed that they like sometimes they'll get like Dame near a minute, and like that's not just I just don't think flies in the NFL and from extended plays you get pocket all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: That is one hundred accurate. I just think Caleb, even without that, is such a talented thrower of the football and such a smart player. I think and every team I just mentioned there that I'd be dropping him into has good to excellent offensive lines, so like we'd be dropping him into a terrible spot. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, No, that's fair, Richard Winston asked Nick, Why do you believe the Seahawks are better than the Lions?
Speaker 5: Even though the Lions lost the matchup, they did be your chiefs and they have the same records.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't, By the way, I haven't said that I think this moment the Seahawks are better than the Lions, or if I have, it's very very close. I think by the end of the year the Seahawks will be considerably better. Seahawks are now. Lions are also playing a lot of young guys, But the Seahawks are playing more first or second year players than any team in the league, and they're only getting better as the year goes on. Plus they've dealt with a lot of injuries. And yeah, the head to head victory in Detroit does tip the scales in their favor.
Speaker 4: All right, Next, Mitch will be said pacheck Oll looked great last week and the running game sealed the win for Kansas City. Will Kansas City look to exploit against Floor's Vikings this weekend?
Speaker 3: Oh, listen, I think they're gonna be able to Yeah, you're fine. I think they're gonna be able to throw the ball all over the field on them, and I think Pachek will have a big second half when the Chiefs have the lead. Also, Keith asked, where's the best spot for a great slice of New York pizza? There's great pizza plays everywhere. My favorite spot you can't they don't have tables, it's just takeout. But there's this place called Pops Pizza on fifty seventh right before Columbus that I think fifty seventh, just south of Central Park, fifty seventh and eighth essentially, that I think is exceptional. It's my favorite pizza spot. All right, Well, that's it for this week's episode. I want to once again thank our friends at McDonald's. Remember every time you order McDelivery in the McDonald's app, it earns you points towards free food, and everybody likes free food. I know I love when I get my favorite meals for free, So there's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Downald the McDonald's app Today at participating McDonald's delivery prices maybe higher than at restaurants delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty twenty three McDonald's