Speaker 1: High Strange is released weekly every Thursday, brought to you absolutely free, but if you want to bene the whole season, it's available right now on Apple Podcasts for all Tenderfoot plus subscribers. You'll also get exclusive bonus episodes throughout the season. For more information, check out the show notes enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: They come from outer space, lower Earth orbit, go to twenty eight thousand feet right off the coast of Catalina. Whatever that object was, drop right down to the surface of the water. These things were breaking the soundberg, but.
Speaker 3: There was no big boom. Freaked us all out. We didn't even know how to respond to it.
Speaker 2: Came from outer space all the way down to twenty eight thousand feet and stopped.
Speaker 3: It was so outside of our experience we didn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: They look like about a fifty foot long giant ticktack, pure white, no doors, no windows, no nothing, sh of his aircraft proximately whatever that object was, with two fast eagles aside cap station the exact latitude, longitude and altitude, and stopped. How in the hell didn't know where that cap point was. It was a secret location only in secret message traffic. They knew where in tent.
Speaker 4: Welcome to high strange.
Speaker 1: I sat down with senior radar operator for the US Navy, Kevin Day, in two thousand and four. He was aboard the USS Princeton, a naval guided missile cruiser, when strange objects began to appear on a screen. Over the course of several days, he continued to see large tic tac shaped objects running circles around the Navy jets, raising the legitimate concern of a possible mid air collision.
Speaker 2: There were zigzagging all over the sky like a flywood do an impossible things darting all over the place, creating G forces thirty five gus forty g's that would make us into pancakes.
Speaker 3: The pilot can survive maybe eight or nine G forces.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's anything biological in these things. You all saw, yep, we all saw it.
Speaker 3: And it shook me to my core, truly did.
Speaker 1: They watched on radar these unknown objects dive from over eighty thousand feet in the air to the very near surface of the ocean in a matter of seconds. They were long, fifty foot cylindrical objects, white in color, no windows and no doors, and by appearance they were rotorless with no signs of propulsion.
Speaker 2: We were concerned about safety of flight. I was at meetings. Hey guys, I got something for you. What's up, keV. We have a safety a flight issue off the southern California coast. And when I went to describe what happened to us and knowfore, I got laughed at man, what do you mean?
Speaker 3: They laughed UFOs ha ha.
Speaker 2: And the people who weren't laughing, they were giving me this kind of look looking down their nose, like wish he been smoking. It was real. I mean, pilot saw it with our eyeballs. It's on every ship's radar, and those radars are really good at what they do.
Speaker 4: He trust me.
Speaker 3: I was concerned about safety of flight. Man for aar Landers too. I got so frustrated no one would listen.
Speaker 4: I quit.
Speaker 1: Commander David Fraber flew his F eighteen super Hornet towards the object and it crossed directly in front of the nose of his jet, then took off out of site. When the object appeared again, it was at the exact location The jets were supposed to rendezvous at a secret, undisclosed set of coordinates. Five years after the TIC TAC incident. Kevin Day resigned from the Navy in twenty seventeen. While volunteering at a country club near his house. He was carrying a plate of fish and chips when he noticed the breaking news on the TV.
Speaker 5: Unexplained aerial phenomena. This Navy video showing the pilot's reaction to the strange aerial encounter.
Speaker 1: The Pentagon released three videos of unknown flying objects to the public.
Speaker 3: I stood there, frozen. I dropped the plate of food I was carrying.
Speaker 1: After over twenty years in the Navy, being mocked and laughed at by the Department of Defense, he was finally vindicated. He belined to his house in a daze.
Speaker 2: I raised home, probably broke and reached traffic law on this little talent to get home, Jump on the computer, call my friends and deal with it, you know, because what else are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: If it was you, what would you do? I have no idea, right exactly. We're just human.
Speaker 1: Right. When he got home, he started calling other sailors aboard the USS Princeton, people who also witnessed the event. Now that the news had broken, he wanted to make sure they could all stick together, and he urged them to come forward and talk about the incident openly.
Speaker 2: We can't let command a favor twist in the wind by himself here, because we were there and we know what happened.
Speaker 3: We have to balance what he's saying. So that's how that all started.
Speaker 1: Both the New York Times and Politico broke the news that the Pentagon had been investigating UAPs for a decade. This UAP task force was officially known as the Advanced Aerospace Threat Identification Program. The leader of the operation, lou Elizondo, had just resigned, claiming he left the program for similar reasons as Kevin Day. His higher ups were simply not taking this seriously.
Speaker 2: I think what happens from this point forward, the science teams get on the ball around the planet and we start collecting science data on these things.
Speaker 3: UAP is noble. We can know what these are.
Speaker 2: We're worried about paying the rent and making sure the electric bills paid and the kids are on school and time and they're.
Speaker 3: Healthy, well addressed. Who the hell's got time to think about you? You know, we have to live in the data to life. What if the entire.
Speaker 2: Planet has to change all of a sudden and we're not prepared. That's what the scientists are saying. Now, hey, get ready for the societal impacts. Looking back on this, I wouldn't trade a moment what I went through, because, you know what, the things that happen to me are going to be a powerful damn message. You want to go to Congress. That's how I'm going to transmitt this. I'm going to turn it into a message that they are going to have to listen to. I feel so damn lucky. I can't even express how lucky I feel, how blessed I am.
Speaker 4: What in honor? What in honor?
Speaker 2: It was all worth it, all of it to get the message out. Whether we like it or not, whether we admit to it or not, these things are coming.
Speaker 3: Accept it. I don't want anything. I don't want money, I don't want fame. I want the.
Speaker 2: World to get ready for what's about to happen. That's what Kevin Day wants.
Speaker 6: It was so cool to see a Space Shuttle launch or a landing and realize my dad was instrumental in doing that.
Speaker 1: This is John Greenwald, the founder and creator of the Blackfault dot com, And after.
Speaker 4: He retired, I found out he worked on the Mars lander.
Speaker 6: I found out he worked on the Space Defense program.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot about him that I didn't know until after he retired.
Speaker 6: And my dad he has really kind of I think, instilled in me the fascination with space and stretching the limits of what science can do.
Speaker 4: I started way back when I was fifteen years old.
Speaker 6: A incident in nineteen seventy six one of the very few UFO documents that you could go and read and download, and it read very much like a X Files episode, a science fiction movie. It just didn't make sense. Seen over the city of Tehran, Iran, a second UFO was seen coming out of that one, a third coming out of the bottom, one of which the F four Phantom pilot saw hover above the ground and cast this large light just like the.
Speaker 1: Tictec in two thousand and four. The Tehran UFO incident involved not only eyewitnesses the radar pings of something strange in the sky. The pilots began to engage the UFO over Iran's capital city, and as they got closer, both F four Phantom jets lost controls of their onboard weapons systems. As they turned off from the pursuit and headed back towards their base.
Speaker 4: Magically, all their.
Speaker 1: Communication and weapons functions began working again, and this happened to both of the jets.
Speaker 6: During this whole event, two separate F four Phantom jets seemingly were strategically shut down, losing controls communications as they were engaging this UFO.
Speaker 4: Whatever that was.
Speaker 6: One could potentially be a coincidence. Two, however, seem strategic and it seemed like technology. There's really not a feasible explanation for it, even to this day. So the question mark is, well, what was it and why we're talking about nineteen seventy six here with all this time that passed. I mean, maybe we'd see something similar, maybe we'd have a viable explanation.
Speaker 4: At this point we have nothing. We have neither.
Speaker 1: This was almost thirty years before the tic TACs were seen. How could an adversary like Russia or China have such a tight lid on some advanced technology like this for so damn long.
Speaker 6: That was the first document that I got when I was fifteen, and I thought, man, the Internet has to have more. And that's what kind of drove me and motivated me to go back and look. And there really wasn't anything. You just saw more of the he said, she said story. There were chat forums, message boards at the time, nobody really had the full story, and if they were telling the same story, they were telling it in different ways.
Speaker 4: And it was so frustrating.
Speaker 6: So that's why I started utilizing the FOYA and then just going after these documents because I figured, Hey, if this four page document exists, there have to be more.
Speaker 4: And sure enough, there was a lot more.
Speaker 6: The Freedom of Information Act is essentially a law here in America that allows anyone in the world. You actually don't even have to be an American citizen to access information. You request information, they have to send it to you, but the fine print allows nine different reasons for them to say no. Those nine different what they call exemptions, are those reactions that you see, freedom of information. We can go after information. Government militaries got to send it to us. Problem is they put in nine reasons for them not.
Speaker 4: To send it.
Speaker 6: To see things that the American public and the world have never seen before, to get documents, to get videos like old film reels, it's such an amazing feeling because you're seeing history that only a select few people that had clearances or that were involved in the project have.
Speaker 4: Seen before I was fifteen. I was stupid.
Speaker 6: I didn't realize exactly what I was getting myself into, but quickly learned that the government was going to push back. And what I first wanted to achieve was essentially get these documents out and put them out in their raw form. I didn't anticipate the struggle that there was going to be to get it. Being that fifteen year old curious kid, I didn't know a whole lot about it. I just knew there was something there. What was this Freedom of Information Act? But hey, they're going to send me something for free.
Speaker 4: Cool?
Speaker 6: And that's what I kind of went for the Freedom of Information Act, building a website and just kind of going from there, and I take it to kind of the next level for me, where I put it online for everybody. Here we are twenty six years and three point two million pages later. I haven't gone anywhere people can download with the click of a button in seconds what sometimes took me over a decade to get. Literally, for me, that drives some of the motivation to do what I do.
Speaker 1: John has been collecting documents released via foiler request since he was fifteen years old. I wasn't even remotely productive with anything at that age.
Speaker 6: I went from that curious fifteen year old kid who was just trying to find some documents to really piecing together pieces of the puzzle that in some cases had never been released to the general public at all, finding that irrefutable proof that they were still interested in UFOs and even in the CIA files had material of some kind post what they admitted to investigating back in the forties, fifties, and sixties. I deep down kind of always knew there was a mystery to this. I mean, you just look at the books on bookshelves and a bookstore, and I knew that there was a lot to the topic. It wasn't just kind of like a silly Internet rumor. So, being again that young naive kid, I didn't know what I was getting myself into, but I at least was kind of solidified with my beliefs that there was something unknown about this, something.
Speaker 4: That was worthwhile exploring.
Speaker 6: From all over the world, they were collecting sightings and that nineteen seventy six Iran incident, I'll stress the date nineteen seventy six, seven years after the United States Air Force and in turned the United States government said, hey, there's nothing to this, there's nothing that's a threat to national security.
Speaker 4: We're not interested.
Speaker 6: If you want to report something, go to your local law enforcement or a UFO group, but we don't care. Behind the scenes, though, they were collecting all these reports, and clearly, if you have a craft of some kind in nineteen seventy six that can strategically shut down two separate F four phantom jets, that's a concern. There was a United States Air Force pilot that chimed in on one of the documents that I found through the NSA on this very incident. He stated in this once classified document. It was a low level classification for this one. There's certain things in a pilot's career that just defy logic and explanation. This case is one of them, he says. But this will probably be filed in a drawer somewhere and forgotten. All the way up to twenty seventeen, the government maintained that they had zero interest in UFOs. Oh, that's probably left over from Project Bluebook. They forgot about it. Military is notorious for forgetting things. What I did was proved quite the opposite, that it was actually modified through the two thousands. UFOs was never taken out. Now, some of your odd it's might say, well, that doesn't sound surprising. They're looking into UFOs prior to twenty seventeen, when the UFO program that was reported in the New York Times kind of blew open this whole avalanche of interest and so on. Prior to that, it was a lot different. That's part of my story, that's part of my growth and seeing both eras being deeply entrenched and saying, look, there is irrefutable proof the government is lying. They're interested in UFOs. These phenomena are real. Those multiple facets of it, It extended way beyond nineteen sixty nine. They're lying to you about the interest. They have material. You can see photos of it in the old Army files. I mean there's stories on top of stories on top of stories, and then you get to twenty seventeen, then they start talking about it, and then all of a sudden you have this completely different conversation.
Speaker 1: My experience on my other show, Radio Rental has shown me that there is more unexplained in this world that I ever could have imagined. Through decades of in depth research, John Is unearthed mountains of bizarre stories, all by requesting documents from the government.
Speaker 6: Now they're acknowledging UAP are real, they're looking into it, they're investigating it, and they're talking about it.
Speaker 4: They're not poking fun at it.
Speaker 6: There's research organizations or groups within the United States military complex that are looking at this thing. That's all positive, full stop period. The bad part is the secrecy. I thought twenty six, twenty fifteen years ago secrecy was bad enough, it's worse now. It's not a popular take right now because those that want to believe that we are on the road to some disclosure feel that just because the government is talking about UAP, that this is it. The reality is that even though they are talking about it, they have deeper secrecy now procedures specifically targeting the UAP topic to classify it, and they don't want to tell us about it. A lot of people that again really have that belief that we are onto something here on the road to this disclosure, feel that politicians are going to be the answer.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: Look, I've met quite a few politicians over the years. Some of them are great people, some of them their heart is in the right place. But if anybody thinks politicians are going to be the turning point for transparency on UAP have a real big letdown coming. My proof of that is you look in the last couple of years and these classified briefings that we now know quite a few politicians have had. They are going behind closed doors and hearing what you and I can't.
Speaker 4: They don't come.
Speaker 6: Out and reveal anything, right, I mean, we can all agree to that. They've got their security oaths and nobody has turned around and shouted to the heavens that all of this stuff has to be declassified. Their own procedures are stopping them from doing that.
Speaker 4: Politicians cannot circumvent it.
Speaker 6: So even if those are coming out of the classified briefings screaming to the high heavens, you need to declassify all of this in the eyes of the military, it doesn't matter. Can they have pressure, absolutely, Will they be successful?
Speaker 4: Probably not?
Speaker 6: And newsflash to some politicians are kind of selfish like that they want the information for themselves and they want to keep part of that information from you and I.
Speaker 4: Why control.
Speaker 6: Those are all elements to this conversation that a lot of people I don't think banter about as much as they should. I don't think politicians are the answer. I don't pretend to know what the answer is. I just don't have as high of hopes as some people do. Even though you have politicians on these committees, getting the classified briefings and maybe getting motivated enough to create that legislation, they are not there in perpetuity. They are not there forever they change, they'll retire, they get voted out. That's why I don't think politicians are going to be that ultimate answer.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of things that play here.
Speaker 6: I think society creates the dream scenario, but it's not necessarily reality. I don't believe disclosure in the sense that we all talk about it is going to happen. I don't see the government coming to some kind of podium. President comes out in front of the White House and says, the extraterrestrial presence is here.
Speaker 4: They're real, we know about this.
Speaker 6: That's how most people define disclosure, and I don't think that's going to happen. I think disclosure is going to be with us, that we're going to be able to figure out those answers for ourselves. For some, that threshold is a lot higher or lower, depending upon who you talk to for them to really come to the conclusion, Hey, there is an extraterrestrial presence here.
Speaker 4: For me, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 6: Bring it all together for yourself, analyze it for yourself, and come to a conclusion. I don't need the government to tell me what I believe. I don't need a researcher to write me a book and tell me what to believe. I don't need anybody who runs a site called the Black Vault to tell me what to believe, because I don't want to be that person to tell people what to believe. I think we should all just look at all those pieces of the puzzle and try and figure it out. And for me, that's what disclosure ultimately is.
Speaker 4: What is it? Is it extraterrestrials, Is it aliens? What everybody wants to know?
Speaker 6: I don't know, because my threshold is really high to say that everybody thinks the government is this all knowing entity, that they have the answers and they're just the big, bad evil guys that are keeping it from us. There is a partial belief that I have that they just have zero answers, that they truly are clueless, that they have no idea just like kind of some of us, we're just trying to figure all this out. I think that's a possibility too, that the government doesn't have all the answers. I mean, you can't in one breath say they're completely inept and can't do X, Y and Z, and then in the next breath say they are holding the biggest secret of humanity and they've been able to cover it up in any ample undeniable scientific proof that extraterrestrials are here and it's all because the United States government has done that. Does the government know more than what they're telling? Absolutely, that's undeniable. We can see that with the secrecy and the reactions and the denied documents and videos and photographs. But does that denial constitute answers that I don't know, but I would have my doubts that they do. I think that they may be trying to figure it out just as much as some of us.
Speaker 7: My name is Ryan Graves, former fateen pilot.
Speaker 1: Ryan Graves, former Navy fighter pilot and engineer, got a sense of deja vu when he saw the UAP videos released in twenty seventeen. He recognized the voices he'd already seen this video before during a classified briefing aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: They upgraded all their radar systems.
Speaker 8: Once we had upgraded our radar to the newest version, we were seeing things that just weren't there on the other radar. We would go out in the morning with one aircraft with one radar and not see anything, and then we'd get an upgraded radar on our next flight, and then we'd see a lot of these objects.
Speaker 7: We actually didn't think it was anything.
Speaker 8: We thought it was a radar malfunction of some type until we got close enough with some of the cameras we have on board to see that they were physical objects.
Speaker 1: During an air to air training mission, as pilots were returning to the aircraft carrier, they noticed on radar an object that looked to be a disc or gimbal shape with five other objects flying in formation nearby it.
Speaker 7: There was energy emitting from those spots.
Speaker 8: This was now potentially some kind of drone or junk or something. Once we got them on the fleer, which is our camera system, we'd want to fly by the scene with our eyes, but we couldn't see them if our radar is looking at something. Everything is looking there, and all that information is pumped into my visor on my helmet. As I'm flying right at this object, there's a square in my visor showing me where to look. Look there, Look there. I can see my wingmen and the circles on them. But for these particular objects, we'd.
Speaker 7: Come by them and there would be nothing in the square. We couldn't see them.
Speaker 8: Faighteen's radar system isn't the best tool to help us figure out what these are.
Speaker 7: There's a refresh rate.
Speaker 8: If something was to accelerate so fast it just darts off on the radar, that might not look like a super fast acceleration. That might just look like something disappearing off my radar.
Speaker 7: One of the days we.
Speaker 8: Were going out on a flight together, two of the aircraft, two people in each aircraft, and just a standard day going out to do some training out in the working areas. We enter the working areas at a very specific location, at a very specific altitude, and now as aircraft are departing, they essentially depart lower at the exact same spot. That's kind of the entry and exit point they call it. They were flying through that point and right at the point they flew right by.
Speaker 7: One of these.
Speaker 8: Objects went right between the lead aircraft and his wingman. This object went right between them, flew through it almost hit the thing. To my knowledge, this is the first visual of the object. They ended up knocking off the flight after that, essentially canceling the flight. He came back. He had a look of shock on his face. I was hit one of those damn things. I was like, well, what it looked like? He was like, it was a dark black cube inside a clear sphere. The corners of the cube were essentially touching the inside of that sphere.
Speaker 7: No gas, no propulsion, no propellers.
Speaker 8: We shouldn't have objects operating near our fighter jets that we don't know what they are.
Speaker 7: That's a serious issue. The fact that one of these could.
Speaker 8: Take out our aircraft and the crew with it is a major safety issue United States security perspective. It's a major lapse to just assume that this is something that's not going to be a problem. As time progressed, more people saw them. I know at least a ten or so that saw the objects themselves and described it the same way.
Speaker 7: It kind of broke our brain. What we do with things that are strange.
Speaker 8: We try to make it not strange anymore by relating it to something else. Laying in bed at the end of the day, that lingering question, that kind of uncertainty. For a while, that's where it sat for me until I left on deployment to Mississippi, where I was in a flight instructor gave me more time to kind of think and reflect on it, and that's when I realized I felt the need to talk about it.
Speaker 2: He released video shows an encounter between US Navy pilots and some kind of unidentified flying object.
Speaker 8: It wasn't an overly hard choice. We've been stigmatized around this topic. I hate to use this word, but programmed in a sense, with certain assumptions about what ET is through our media and our culture and all those things. Right, we like that it's something that fascinates us as human beings to think that there's something else out there, and so we've built up stories about it. But those stories have been created with our own imaginations. I had some assumptions that I didn't realize were so fundamentally baked into my core right. Being able to examine those assumptions in a logical way help me understand that there's actually a lot of meat on this bone. We are truly perhaps talking about something alien, and that word I think has more depth to it than we commonly think it does. If something is truly alien, it might be very difficult for us to really imagine its makeup. We have to assume if there's hyperintelligent aliens out there, that there's a lot of knowledge that we don't have right that we're just at the very beginning of our scientific understanding. If that's true, if that logic is true, then almost by definition, anything we're going to see as almost magical beyond our comprehension and understanding because we just simply haven't connected those dots yet.
Speaker 7: And that is understanding.
Speaker 8: When you look at the behavior overall, there's no consideration for energy here. To have something that can go as fast as a jet and then go as low as a helicopter to do those things back and forth, it takes an incredible amount of energy. But when we would look at these objects on the flear, it just looked like a single source of IUR energy.
Speaker 7: Coming out from the objects.
Speaker 8: No propellers, there's no heat, there's no plume of gas keeping it in place.
Speaker 1: When a Navy fighter pilot says they saw something unexplained in the sky with no signs of propulsion and openly claims that the technology is not from anything we have here on Earth, it's hard not to listen and to actually believe their story.
Speaker 8: One of the things that I'm doing within my work at the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics is building a state of technology manual, if you will, for UAP sensing something that would be updated yearly that we could put out to help inform engineering community on different methodologies that have been tested and what works and what doesn't. Really looking to move the engineering conversation forward. This is the beginning of a scientific peer review process that's going to allow a standardized and reputable way of discovery where we can have experts come in from across the aerospace scientific regime and provide peer review to papers that get published and no kidding, move the science forward. You can see how artificial intelligence is moving itself in to science more. It would make sense to utilize machine learning to perhaps understand certain areas or functions that maybe aren't obvious to our understanding of science. I think that we will radically have redefined how we think about intelligence. We're going to share this earth in a sense with another non human intelligence. We have to really leverage our interaction with AI to be competitive and successful. That's going to be an interesting change. I think the concept in our understanding of consciousness and intelligence will be much greater in fifty years.
Speaker 9: How do we try to kind of unwind and understand how those vehicles could operate that way?
Speaker 4: Because if that's.
Speaker 9: A bad guy who has that technology, we're in big trouble. They're basically rendering defenseless all of this stuff that we've developed over many decades.
Speaker 4: To protect and they're toying with us.
Speaker 9: Is there any way we could understand how those things could be doing that, Maybe get a little further down the road of explaining where they're coming from, who owns them, is somebody in them or is it a drone. One of the studies the idea which I found fascinating was on multi dimensional travel. In other words, maybe these things are not so far away. They're from here, and think of stranger things. They're from the upside down, and that sounds crazy the more you think about it. We know there are things that exist in this natural world that we can't see. When you sent me a text on your phone to mine something went from you to me, and we don't see it, we don't feel it, we don't taste it.
Speaker 5: The concept of not knowing what it is is alarming. They were all explained, we wouldn't even be talking about this. Whole nature of the phenomenon is that we don't know what it is. It's always been that way. I wish they would get to the point where they would be willing to say, I don't know what it is, but I know it's not from planet Earth, or I know it's not made by human hands.
Speaker 7: That really distinguishes.
Speaker 5: It closes that door which we've always left open about well, maybe it's Russian or Chinese or something.
Speaker 9: The government said this publicly a year ago that some of these UAPs as they call them.
Speaker 4: Are not ours, they're not our aircraft.
Speaker 5: Maybe it's possibly secret technology from America, which they sort of said it isn't, But there's always that little bit of question about that.
Speaker 3: If that works true, it would be an amazingly good story.
Speaker 4: There would basically be evidence of a government within a government.
Speaker 9: I think it's very remote that that is the case, these things have been seen at least since the beginning of the technological age, the age of aviation. What country developed this stuff when? I mean, how could we have missed that all these years later?
Speaker 5: Gradual dissemination is probably the safest and best way to do it, and then they can gauge people's reactions and see how it affects people and not create this huge shock. If they can work gradually up to the moment where they might cross that line where they acknowledge that there's something here that's non human.
Speaker 9: I think it's an exciting time to be around. We obviously have a lot of problems as a planet, a lot of people who doubt we're going to make this thing work much longer unless we get our shit together. We also live at a time where technology and the ability to understand not just our own world, but what else is out there is much sharper than it's ever been.
Speaker 4: Massive changes in the world just in the.
Speaker 9: Last hundred years, more change than in the previous thousand years. One hundred years from now, we may know a lot of things if we don't kill ourselves first. There's no doubt the Overton window has moved. There's a window of what's acceptable public debate. If things don't fit into that window, you can't really talk about it because.
Speaker 4: You're seen as being on the fringe.
Speaker 9: UFOs clearly, the fact that Congress openly talks about it demands more investigation.
Speaker 4: The Overton window has moved.
Speaker 5: We think of ourselves as being the top of the food chain, right, We're it to imagine that that's actually not the case.
Speaker 9: You have to kind of reconceive a lot of our own narrative here on the planet. Keep an open mind, open to the idea that some of these.
Speaker 4: Sightings really are not earthly.
Speaker 1: This morning, I woke up, had breakfast and some coffee, showered, then went to my office. I got a call from this reporter at Newsweek. He wanted to hear my thoughts in the latest Chinese surveillance balloons, the one shot down by the US military, but more specifically the strange tic tac shaped objects shot down over Alaska, the one the US government claimed it was unable to recover.
Speaker 4: That's too bad.
Speaker 1: I had a few zoom calls, a quick lunch, did some scrolling on TikTok and Instagram.
Speaker 3: Is it a UFOE boone wouldn't do.
Speaker 1: That algorithms working nicely today. Send a few emails. Some listeners sent me some home footage of what they think is a UFO in their backyard.
Speaker 4: An email from someone in the military who has a story.
Speaker 1: Then this really angry message about how my podcast is polluting the minds of kids, and if aliens were real, they'd be in the Bible or something like that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Her name was Karen Something.
Speaker 1: I left my office, went to my local neighborhood bar. It's called Vesper by the way, I'm getting a Manhattan. I saw a few friends there who were so energized to talk about UFOs. Damn it. I didn't want to be the UFO guy. But our conversations felt different. They became more philosophical, discussing our beliefs in the real implications of life beyond our planet in the universe. Okay, I'll stay for one more, a phone call, email, Time to eat dinner and go to sleep.
Speaker 4: But I didn't. I couldn't sleep.
Speaker 1: My mind was racing with way too many existential thoughts about life and the future, and not the negative kind either. This insatiable itch in the back of my brain, this desire to learn more about everything and just figure it all out. As I sat on the edge of my bed, reflecting back on all the people I talked to, all the personal stories and eyewitness accounts, the mountains of archival documents I'd read, and all the differing opinions from every single person out there, I realized something. I realized despite all my efforts in this podcast, I myself still did.
Speaker 4: Not have a definitive answer.
Speaker 1: If anything, it felt like I had opened the door to even more questions. But I almost instantly realized something else that I think I'm okay with that. Truthfully, had I learned that all this UFO stuff was just fake and closed the book on it, well, then I wouldn't even have more questions.
Speaker 4: The conversation would be over.
Speaker 1: Knowledge and understanding isn't something you attain overnight.
Speaker 4: It's a process that's so individually unique to all of us.
Speaker 1: I feel like, because we live in a world where information travels the fastest it ever has, Like how quickly we get the breaking news on our phone, can send a message or make a call, how connected we are to even strangers all through the Internet. It's too easy to fall into the mindset that we need to know everything right now, everything around us is so instant. The reality is we're all still learning about everything and will never stop learning. Things change, people change, views change.
Speaker 4: We're all still evolving.
Speaker 1: It's too easy to look at life in this exact moment and think this is it. But if we just stopped for a second and really think about it, we all know that's not actually true. Look back in history a thousand years or even just last week. We know more today than we literally did yesterday. I mean, seriously, we used to smoke cigarettes on airplanes like it was nothing. Today's breaking news is tomorrow's old news, and with every minute passed, it all becomes a little bit easier for us to understand. It's okay to not know everything, and feeling like we have to all the time tends to make us incredibly divisive. Once upon a time, we were cavemen just banging rocks and making fires. We've evolved so much in nearly every way imaginable, and we can't forget that we're still evolving. So as I sat there on the edge of my bed, thinking back on everything I had learned, I realized that even though I couldn't close the book on UFOs, the fact that I couldn't means to me that there's still so much more to learn. Life can feel like a hamster wheel doing the things we know until we get too tired and go to sleep, but our own curiosity of the world around us should be encouraged and celebrated. This desire to reach out and explore is what makes us special as humans. So even though the hamster wheel keeps turning, it's okay to step off every once in a while and contemplate the bigger picture. It'll be right there waiting for you if you ever decide to come back until next time. This is High Strange. High Strange is a production by Tenderfoot TV in association with Cadence thirteen, created, hosted and edited by myself Payne Lindsay. Executive producers are myself and Donald Albright. Editing by Mike Rooney, Cooper Skinner and myself. Original scorer by Makeup and Vanity Set, Sound design, mixing and mastering by Cooper Skinner. Additional production by Mike Rooney, Dylan Harrington, Eric Quintana, Sean Nurney, Meredith Stedman, and Sidney Evans.
Speaker 4: Our cover art is by Polygon.
Speaker 1: This episode features the song Man on the Moon performed by Rim courtesy of Concord Records. Visit Concord Music on the Web at Concord Musicgroup dot com. Special thanks to Orrin Rosenbaum and the whole team at UTA, the Nord Group, Station six Beck Media and Marketing, as well as Chris Corcrum and the team at Cadence thirteen. Check out the show's website at high Strange dot com. Follow the show on TikTok and Instagram at high Strange, and you can follow me on Twitter and Instagram at Payne Lindsay. If you have your own UFO story, email us at tips at high strange dot com. And if you're enjoying the show, please help us out by rating and reviewing the podcast and share it with your friends.
Speaker 4: Thanks for listening.