Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. All right, so Jeff here, we.
Speaker 2: Are here, we are I'm Jeff Garland, I'm Susiasman, and we are doing the history of Kurby Your Enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: And this is season three, episode seven. Yeah, the corpse sniffing Dog.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: And we start out with Larry interviewing for a new chef because he's fucked up every chef already. And the guy is bald, and we see right away Larry.
Speaker 2: Is just in Gomez. Second city.
Speaker 4: Another second city.
Speaker 2: Yep. Lovely gentleman and very telling.
Speaker 1: Larry immediately feels an affinity for him because of the baldness. Look at you, Look at you?
Speaker 5: You wh when'd you start?
Speaker 3: Wasn't it?
Speaker 2: I started losing when I was fifteen.
Speaker 5: Fifteen, Wow, earlier than me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit earlier.
Speaker 2: I actually like it. Yeah me too. Yeah, I just got a little sunscreen on.
Speaker 3: It's fine. Yeah, a lot of sunscreen, right, you can't go outside.
Speaker 2: With all the sunscreen exact.
Speaker 1: Oh, absolutely, And they talk about the disparaging the guys with the hats up guys with the hat.
Speaker 2: That comes from Larry wrote a piece but I can't remember where, but it was basically about being bald, and the line that killed me is the hat has to come off sometime, and.
Speaker 1: He says it in this episode, the hat has to come off sometimes, and what do you Then you're fooling people. They think they're going out with a guy with hair and then they find out he's bald. You're misrepresenting yourself. So he's connecting with this guy, which is important. Monoxidil, no transplant, no two pay.
Speaker 3: Then Larry says, surprise, up the two pay people. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, if I'm going to be a sick megalomaniac right to round up people who I.
Speaker 3: Hated, they would be on my list, I would say get the two pay people.
Speaker 2: Absolutely to me, that's really funny. But he upped it by saying Hitler's henchman. They should have gone around and grab people's hair to see.
Speaker 1: To see if they're wearing a two pay hilarious. So we see that he has an infinity with this guy, and it's important for things that happen, not in this episode but later on in the season.
Speaker 2: But also there's never a moment where he goes, you're hired. We find that out later. I got this great chef right right, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: But we know seeing this interview that he's going to hire him because he so loves the guy.
Speaker 4: Because he's bald. That's all he needs. He doesn't care about the food. He cares that he's bulld well.
Speaker 2: He gets called out on it in a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Next they are out to dinner with Stu and susan browdie Don Stark and Amy A Kena, right, and we've met the browdies before.
Speaker 4: There was a whole incident prior that every.
Speaker 1: Time the check came, Stu would get up and go to the bathroom, et cetera, et cetera. And they start to talk about that their kids want a dog and no freaking puppy because Stue never says fucking. He only says freaking, which is really annoying. And Larry tells them Jeff is looking to get rid of his German shepherd, Oscar, because I got Oscar when we were split up for protection, and now you're back in the house and you're highly allergic to Oscar and what a great dog he is, and he is a great dog.
Speaker 4: That was a beautiful dog.
Speaker 1: And the wine comes and Stu starts with his whole michig gos with the sniffing and the gargling and the swirling and the you know, the nonsense.
Speaker 3: This is like an elephant stick his head in the pot.
Speaker 1: How are you watching this routine?
Speaker 3: Stop it?
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry, corks.
Speaker 3: Surely we need to send this back.
Speaker 4: It's like an elephant sticking his head in the pond.
Speaker 2: Larry, Yeah, I didn't remember that this was setting up for.
Speaker 3: For later, for later.
Speaker 2: This is the thing. Larry and I have a lot in common, you know. I guess there our money is maybe a difference and we look at something's different. But we have a very honest relationship. And just like we talked about the last episode about not going to bar Mitzvah's the idea of Larry collecting wine or me collecting wine and having a wine room, which he probably does in his house. I don't know what he used does, yeah, but it might have been there when he might have been there, yes, yeah, but the idea that he and I would smell the cork swish it around, because when I drank I would never do that, even a nice bottle of wine.
Speaker 3: I knew nothing.
Speaker 2: I still know nothing. He knows nothing. And there's that curiosity of why the fuck are people into this?
Speaker 1: Well they are very much so, as you know, and Stu Browdie is very into it and clearly pretentious. And he sends the wine back. He says it's corked. He sends it back and Larry tastes. Larry says it's fine. He doesn't like the whole idea. Susan asks about the restaurant, and Larry says, and this struck me.
Speaker 4: I'm not allowed to talk about it. She gets bored.
Speaker 1: She gets bored so easily, and I know that was coming from real life. I'm not allowed to talk about Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Sari and Marla my ex. Oh, they've heard all my stories. They cannot take it.
Speaker 4: Well, it is an issue in a marriage.
Speaker 1: We've heard all these stories before, and well, we all have our stock stories that we tell.
Speaker 2: No no hold on. We have our stock stories that we tell. They not so much. We you and I and any other comedian has our things that we like talking.
Speaker 1: But I know what Jef note, Jimmy has his stock stories, myad and it takes a tremendous amount of effort for me when we're out to dinner with somebody and he starts telling one of his stories that I've heard many many times, to sit there.
Speaker 4: And shut up. It takes a tremendous effort.
Speaker 2: That's the hard part of a relationship.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: I haven't broken through that with my girl, Sari.
Speaker 4: It is one of the difficult things in a marriage.
Speaker 2: So frustrating. And by the way, when I start with the beginning of one of those things, even though I'm not heading there, she tunes out.
Speaker 4: You've got a new audience.
Speaker 1: It's you know, oh with Sari, no, with whoever you're telling the story. The unfortunate thing is your partner is an old audience and they have to hear it again and.
Speaker 2: They're sick of it. It's not like Seinfeld, where people want to hear their favorites. It's like, exactly, please shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: So Larry mentions he's hired a new chef, and Cheryl's the one who says he only likes him because he's bold, right, and then the check comes and Stu picks it up, makes a big deal about it, and then Larry.
Speaker 4: This is a very interesting episode.
Speaker 1: It is Larry thanks Stu and does not thank Susan, and Susan is, well, you know what about me, You're going to thank me too.
Speaker 2: This has to be from real life by the way, it either happened to him or it happened to him kind of like that.
Speaker 1: And then it was like boom, Well it becomes an issue. From Susan's point of view, it's our money. Yes, he works, but it's our money. And I'm a part of a couple, and you thank me too, and I agree with her bottom Larry's.
Speaker 2: Agree with her. Larry is just ridiculously.
Speaker 1: Larry's point of view, he's the one who works. It's not her money and she doesn't deserve it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I disagree with him on this.
Speaker 2: You agree with you, Yes, completely agree with you. It's totally inappropriate. And not only that they have children, correct, so it's especially inappropriate because.
Speaker 4: She's taking care of the kids.
Speaker 2: Whoever's taking care of the kids, man or woman. And I went through a period where I was not getting work. And so James, my son, my oldest for when his baby years into like early toddler. Marla worked as a casting director. I couldn't find a job to save my life. You took care of James, so I saw firsthand how much work, but I knew it, and so you know what, I got a comparison. It's like a movie producer. What I mean by that, if you're a producer of a movie, you're like, not executive. That's TV and that usually means.
Speaker 4: Creative, a line producer, but a movie is not.
Speaker 2: Called a line producer. That's what the producer does. They oversee everything, and the line producer works for them. You are in charge of all the shit that happened, everything, everything, and it is hard, and a director it's easier job after writer, even though those jobs take great skill in terms of the shit work. That's the producer. I'm glad if I taught anybody that, yeah, the mother, the wife does the shit work, does the work that allows or the husband that allows the other to do their.
Speaker 1: Thing, to do the thing and make money and also frequently be out in the world enjoying themselves, interacting with other people, while the caretaker is just talking to a two year old. It's a rough job. One of my favorite lines is when Cheryl says.
Speaker 2: Honey is our mind? Well this, I've earn the money, so what do you do?
Speaker 4: You pay her salary and she buy things.
Speaker 2: She spends the money that I've earned.
Speaker 5: She didn't work.
Speaker 2: I earned the money. Loving you is my job. I earn the money.
Speaker 3: It's just a fact.
Speaker 4: Loving you is my job, Larry.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, it is it is. That's the reality. Because love comes and goes in a marriage. It does you always, on a bottom line, love them deeply. But in terms of romantic love, good buy one loves the other more switches and you both love each other crazy. Those are the great times. The dangerous times are when you both can't stand each other because if you don't hold out, you're gonna get divorced or split up. Because that's the dangerous period. And those happened, of course, you know. So that is Cheryl's job, no doubt about it, and a hard one with Larry.
Speaker 1: Yes, and a whole fight and sus and it's our money and Susan is nonplussed.
Speaker 4: And that's that scene.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, I also want to say one more thing, because we've got scenes coming up with Amy playing a more extreme version of this. She is great at playing a difficult woman above an annoying, difficult, mean woman. And she is the sweetest woman ever. I love her. But boyle boy, can she play that part?
Speaker 4: It's cooled acting.
Speaker 2: But she also can play soft parts. You know, she was a mother on the Brooklyn Bridge TV series and she's done a lot of movies where she's not that, but on our show, she played that to the hilt. And yet I had so much fun with her. And she's a wonderful person. I just want to add that.
Speaker 1: And we cut to the restaurant with Mike York and Ted Danson and I had the opportunity to speak to Michael Yorke remotely and let's hear how he felt about working on Curby Enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: We'll be right back. Stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: So Michael Jeff can't be here today, so it's just you and me. What are your memories of shooting this season season three on Curb Your Enthusiasm? How did you get this job to begin with?
Speaker 3: Well, Jelly, I got the job. It was from my wife. Oh really, She started watching the shows and said, this is something you really will to look into. It's such folid new different. So she called my agent the currently that little trick, and after that I was a ted down some investors.
Speaker 1: In Bobo's So I was in Had you done any improv before that? Yeah, you had, because you're known as as you know, you're a real actor.
Speaker 4: You know, we're just comedians. You were a real actor.
Speaker 1: I remember seeing you in Romeo and Juliet when I was a teenager.
Speaker 3: Hello, yes, well, well thank you. It's it's a strange business that we do. I mean, I love improvising. Some movies you get a chance to do that. Others you stick to the script.
Speaker 1: Yeah Shakespeare. He's a little hard to improvise with Shakespeare. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a bit presumption ste isn't it.
Speaker 1: And what do you remember about being on set about about working on the show.
Speaker 3: Well, I remember I love being with Larry. I don't know why I find myself being very passive aggressive to him, and I guess it's twenty years ago. There certain things that weren't going right.
Speaker 1: And at the restaurant, yeah yeah, yeah, well he was fucking everything up, Michael, he was fucking everything up. Left and right firing the chefs and having the corpse sniffing.
Speaker 3: Dog in there. And boy, I'm so glad that you reminded me of that y and that's why I was a bit aggressive with him.
Speaker 1: But you know, the thing is when you're aggressive, because you have that beautiful English accent, it doesn't sound aggressive like when I'm aggressive with my New York accent.
Speaker 3: Oh. But anyway, it was fun to do one of those jobs where you look forward to going to work every day. See where it's going to turn up. Yeah, and it was. As you know, so much of the responsibility lies in the actor, right coming up with something worthwhile. So I think my favorite scene is the opening of the restaurant.
Speaker 4: The restaurant, Sure.
Speaker 3: The chepherd Duretts. That was subvine And I found myself saying these filthy lines in a very Shakespearean way. That's what I mean. From you, it sounds classy. Do you remember what it was that you said when you had to curse? Well, I can't repeat it. This is the Family Show. No it's not. I think you said something about Bollocks. Sounds so Shakespearean, Madam Bollocks. Do you do you recall what you said, or no, I know. It was every foul word I could you could think of ships I'm not gonna do it again being paid for it anyway. So I loved my brief encounter with Larry and his friends and co conspirators. Yeah, and I went off to make a film in the Croatia. And by the way, one weekend, drove up to Venice for a bit of our and our and there was a went to a lovely.
Speaker 4: Restaurant Venice, Italy, not Venice, California.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, last Serenissima. So anyway, there was this woman in the restaurant who gave me a funny look and started swearing in the most feared apple blue way. And I'm a bit shot and she said, well, if you can say it, I don't. Then I knew that the episode must have been aired, right, that's hilarious.
Speaker 4: And did that happen to you a lot?
Speaker 1: Did you get a lot of feedback from the episode just anecdotally?
Speaker 3: People loved it? Yeah, because he was so naughty. I mean, Larry, his great gift is being able to put in the words imagine actually saying it for them, So he doesn't great service.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, he says what people are thinking but afraid to say.
Speaker 3: Yes yes, and they need someone right now.
Speaker 1: And you know, you were such a great piece of casting because you know, Michael Yorke, this amazing actor with a British accent, with this group, with this crazy group, was so incongruous that it worked beautifully.
Speaker 4: You know, it just worked so beautifully.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for saying that, Susie, and congresations to you for my jog being involved in this monstrous good.
Speaker 1: Well, we're on season twelve now, I know. And you shot season three yeah, way back. It was two thousand and two through two thousand and.
Speaker 3: Three around there.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I actually have a picture of you and I at the wrap party. I should have found that to show you. Well, Listen, you've always been one of my favorites, from d'Artagnan to Tibblt to Cabaret to You've had an amazing career and this was a small blip, but it was memorable your season on Curve.
Speaker 3: Major blip. Thank you. Would you greet Barry from me in pact?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'll see him on Monday, I absolutely will.
Speaker 4: I'll send your love.
Speaker 3: Do. I told him yesterday that you were coming on. I was with him, I had lunch with him yesterday.
Speaker 1: I told him that you were coming on, and his face lit up at the mention of your name.
Speaker 3: It's such a great face too.
Speaker 4: As is yours, Michael, as is yours? Well, one time maybe, but are you still handsome?
Speaker 3: You're coming to me in Rochester, Minnesota? Really? Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm at the Mayo Clinic.
Speaker 3: Okay. I got some day rare disease which they treating, saving my life. So very grateful.
Speaker 1: So the prognosis is good. Yeah, that's fantastic. I'm happy to hear it.
Speaker 3: But you know, one thing it did was take away my balance and my memory. Ah, that's right. I'm so great to do this with your Susie. Sure mind the happening in the bounce to get it back, to load up the memory I did. Well. Luckily you can watch all that stuff and remember, I know you can look forward to you.
Speaker 4: So great to talk to you, Michael.
Speaker 2: Be well.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you're getting treatment and you're going to be fine. Thank you, Susie. Much love to you, and keep warm in Minnesota. Yes, yeah, anyway, much love.
Speaker 1: Much love to you, Michael, and I will send your love to Larry on Monday.
Speaker 4: Great, so it was lovely to reconnect to Michael. He's an amazing man.
Speaker 1: So now Larry brings up how come this no partitions in the urinals?
Speaker 4: Larry is always.
Speaker 1: Obsessed with this defecation and the urination and always that stuff.
Speaker 2: By the way, you know what he doesn't find funny. He doesn't find scatological humor funny.
Speaker 3: I know he doesn't like.
Speaker 2: A diarrhea punchline or what have you. He fucking hates it. I know Letterman hates it too.
Speaker 1: And lu DiMaggio says in this it's not a bus station, another line that I love about, you know, people looking at you and in the urinals.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're opening in three days.
Speaker 1: And then Jeff shows up with Oscar Susie's tiling.
Speaker 2: But but I also want to say this, Jim Stall, Yes, Susie Knockamora part of the team Second City to keep going.
Speaker 1: Jeff shows up with Oscar Susie's tiling something and they had to get the dog out of the house and Oscar starts sparking. We have established that Oscar is a corpse sniffing dog that he used to work for what the fire department. I think or something. He's a for the Place Corps sniffing dog.
Speaker 2: And we find out in this episode he's fully credential. That's what the cop says.
Speaker 1: And he starts digging at something in the kitchen, smelling something goes crazy, and next week cut to the cops are there and there might be a dead body under the floor for all they know, because he is a corpse sniffing dog and they're going to need to dig up the floor and the restaurant's supposed to open in three days.
Speaker 2: We hold on one of the cops, not Second City, Kate Flannery, who I knew from Chicago. She was heavily involved in the Annoyance Theater in Chicago, which was a wonderful place that I also worked at. Kate Flannery, even though her dialogue was cut from the scene, she didn't say anything in the episode. But Kate Flannery went on to great success on the TV show of the Office. This was one of her first jobs, and it's just fun to see her there. And I'm sure if people watch this episode from.
Speaker 1: The office, that's a fun thing about these early seasons is seeing all these people that people then got to know that they didn't know at the time. And Jeff says, if there's a dead body under there, where fucked. And then Larry tells Jeff that the browdies are looking for a dog, and Jeff says, well, my daughter's in love with this dog. And Larry says he explain to her and Jeff then you then take your special whistle and you blow the whistle and Oscar comes, Larry starts, Larry starts petting Oscar.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's Oscar. Look at that it came.
Speaker 2: I can't believe that you really love it. A good boy.
Speaker 3: It's nice to be affectioned to something German. You don't get the opportunity that off, you know.
Speaker 4: And he says, it's nice to be affectionate to something German.
Speaker 2: But I also want to say, well, that's a great line, and it made me laugh. If we haven't established this, this is really big. Larry David loves dogs.
Speaker 4: Oh yes he does.
Speaker 2: I mean he adores dogs.
Speaker 1: He used to have a dog named Oscar, which is probably why Oscar's named Oscar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're all big dog people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a couple, but he melts around dogs. When I brought Sage to set, my dog who's a white cockapoop who I stole from the Goldbergs. I actually did another story another time, but he was all over her because and I split a we share a trailer with, you know, and he was all over Sage on the ground. Oh like talking in ways, it brings out a side that.
Speaker 1: People has two dogs that he's obsessed with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And then we're at our house and you are talking to Sammy, our daughter, and I have to say, she was so fucking adorable, that little girl.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And by the way, later on when she was on the show, she didn't really love acting anymore. She was just doing it to But back then she was fucking adorable.
Speaker 4: And she's got seven at the time.
Speaker 3: She was great.
Speaker 2: In this scene, a seven year old pretending to be drunk.
Speaker 3: Are you chewing gum?
Speaker 1: And she's talking to you and Daddy doesn't feel good?
Speaker 4: And who are you gonna choose? She chooses Oscar.
Speaker 5: So you have to decide between whether you want Daddy or Oscar.
Speaker 3: Mm Oscar.
Speaker 5: You know, what what I'm saying is that if you say Oscar, Daddy won't be here. I know, you know, but you're choosing Oscar. I'm your dad.
Speaker 3: I just love that dog. Mm hmmm. I have to go to a bathroom.
Speaker 4: And she loves the dog.
Speaker 1: And then I recall because I was the other day when she said I have to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: She really did have to go to the bathroom, and it ended the scene. It was like a perfect and.
Speaker 2: We cut to her going up the steps, you know, like to her room or the upstairs bathroom. But that was shot obviously after she went to a bathroom, but she really did.
Speaker 4: Was just acting. She was like, I have to go to the bathroom.
Speaker 2: But by the way, what was beautiful about that? Natural gave us a button on the scene. That scene was over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll be right back, stay tuned.
Speaker 3: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 1: So now we're back at the crime scene at the restaurant and it's all dug up. There's piles of rubble and you just see that. It's like a nightmare. There's no way they're opening in three days. And Oscar found a bra. Nobody a bra. He's a bra sniffing dog, as Larry says, and everything the electrics dug up, and the gas and the plumbing, and it's going to be three weeks to a month before they can even open the restaurant.
Speaker 2: And by the way, I forget the gentleman's name who plays that person. He's been in so many films too. Actually an excellent character actor. He's wonderful and that must have been before he started working a lot, because to have him for that part.
Speaker 4: That was there is twenty years ago. It's two thousand and three that we shot this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Larry finds the silver lining now that they have to wait three weeks to a.
Speaker 4: Month before they can open up. Now they could get the.
Speaker 1: Splash guards for the YearIn als Well, by the way, if I may, Everyone is furious that it's going to take an extra mon but Larry's very happy just in general.
Speaker 2: But then it occurs to him we can now have the dividers and he's animal splash guard. Dad, Hey, let me ask you this.
Speaker 5: Can we get the do we get the splash guards in the urinal now?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do you think I'll do that?
Speaker 3: Blessing in disguise.
Speaker 1: Then Jeff comes running up to tell Larry Sammy chose Oscar and he's staying at the w hotel and Larry is, uh, you know, coming to the rescue. He says, I got something to take care of, and.
Speaker 2: But hold on, hold on. You have to understand in that scene two things I want to talk about whenever I get really angry. Larry laughs, and there's even a moment in there of him laughing, going, you gotta calm down. But he laughed. I remember he laughed all through that scene. But there's something more important to me than I want to point out. So he says to me when he leaves, You're at the W Hotel. Yeah, I'm at the W Hotel. If I only knew what I did was the company I forgot their name. They owned the W Hotel. I don't remember what the name of the companies. They owned a bunch of hotels. I did a gig for them, a corporate gig at the W Hotel in Westwood, and it was outdoors, which is a horrible place to stand up.
Speaker 4: Let me explain that to people.
Speaker 1: Why that's so horrible, Okay, Because if you go into comedy clubs, you'll notice it. It's always a low ceiling because laughs hover, and laughs are contagious, So a low ceiling, the laughs hover and it rolls through the room. In a outdoor venue, the laughs go and it's horrible. It's a horrible thing.
Speaker 2: But also playing the theater like Rerice Hall at UCLA, the ceiling is a million miles.
Speaker 1: When you do these roasts with the grand ballrooms with these big high ceilings that are all so horrible, it's tough.
Speaker 2: The only place that I've performed at in that kind of environment is the Greek theater, and that, for whatever reason, works. There's an intimacy to the.
Speaker 4: Greek because the Greeks knew how to do it.
Speaker 2: Yes they did. But here's my story about the w hotel. I'm outdoors and I'm struggling. It's really hard outside. They're not digging me.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: At some point, somebody cue the person not saying we need to show the comedian respect. The waiters come out. They were singing waiters. They came out in a formation. These are like twenty waiters going through the crowd, but circling and.
Speaker 3: Dancing during your act.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was one of the worst shows I've ever had for numerous reasons. And there was a balcony where two people were watching in the building across the street, and I could see them laugh when I went have you ever seen anything like this? I saw them laugh hard. No one in the audience. I'm like, do you realize what's going The audience had no empathy from there, because I had. I was at the end. I had to wrap up during this death death. The people who before the show said, not only would you get paid, which was a hefty check tonight that they had to pay me, but we're gonna give you VIP and all our hotels. You pay the lowest price, we'll give you the best room. It was like this whole thing, you'll be this and we'll do this. It was like Wow. After that show, I went. My dressing room was a hotel room, which often happens when you worked at hotels. Nobody came up to the room. And when I left, I saw all those people. None of them would look at me, let alone talk to me. And so if I only knew, I wish I could go back in time and not use W Hotel. Say I'm at the Marriott, the Hilton, anything.
Speaker 4: You know, but for this show, you were at the W Hotel.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: But nonetheless, it was like when I saw it, it caused pain in my stomach.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Lara shows up at our house and Sammy answers the door, and she's drinking a thing of grape juice. She says, Mommy's next door and Daddy's not there.
Speaker 2: And by the way, this is one of those situations completely normal and comfortable for her invite.
Speaker 1: She's not our whole life. Yeah, yes, he's like uncle Larry. So Sammy's drinking grape juice and she says, do you want some? And Larry says yes, and he follows her into the kitchen and he sees an open bottle of red wine, and she decides he's gonna sniff the cork and he's gonna gargle, and he's gonna do the whole mcgilla to Fruity to Oaki, and he starts to talk to Sammy about Oscar and getting rid of Oscar. Is there another animal? Do you want a rabbit? Do you want a pony, a turtle, a hamster? You could torture a hamster? How great it is to have a hamster that you could torture a little bit. And then Larry sees on the table the dog whistle. He gets up to pick up the dog whistle, and Sammy then inadvertently picks up Larry's glass of wine that she thinks is grape juice and she downs the whole thing. Next week, cut to a drunk, totally drunk Sammy, which she did brillilliantly.
Speaker 3: Come on, Sammy, what do you say? Oh, Oscar.
Speaker 4: Daddy?
Speaker 1: She was first year old drugs drug slurin where I want Daddy?
Speaker 4: I want daddy sluring a word.
Speaker 2: Larry, by the way, his character completely oblivious to the new one of my daughter being drug.
Speaker 1: And he's just happy that he saved the day, he fixed everything. Then he's in a car on the phone with you and with Oscar in the seat, and he says, you go home, everything's taken care of and he's the hero. And then he's at the browdies and Susan answers the door and she's immediately have something to say to me, Larry, And then Larry's like, I guess you're going to have to continue to wait if it's a thank you. You know, he's not giving in to her at all, and she won't take the dog until he thanks her. But then her son show up and see the dog and go crazy for the dog, and they fall in love with the dog, and she has to give in and take Oscar, please, Oscar. Okay, okay, all right, boys, okay.
Speaker 2: He says, no.
Speaker 4: Mind and he leaves Oscar there.
Speaker 2: I thought it was after this scene that he calls me and says everything's taken care of.
Speaker 1: Well, no, he says that before and then he gives her the dog and then he drives up the driveway and we hear that spaghetti western music and it's The Doll revisited.
Speaker 2: And by the way, can I say you were amazing in that scene. You were just so note perfect. You were perfect in that scene with everything he said. Your responses were at a high angry level, but every word out of your mouth was a gem. It was beautiful.
Speaker 1: And because the most important thing in improv is listening. As you know, yes, so you can't have anything pre planned. You know, she stinks like a fucking whine up.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'll go I'll go on record to say that in life, listening is an essential quality every relationship, the skill that you need to have. That's right, but I'm saying is a human being listening is so important. But it's extra important in.
Speaker 1: Improv because as people already know. But I think every now and then we could reiterate we don't have a script. We have an outline and we improvise all of the dialogue. So he says to me, I thought she had a speech impediment. That that's the level of him understanding children. She was drunk and he thought she had a speech impediment.
Speaker 2: You know, so Larry, Oh, by the way, he says the line after you say speech and me, he says, I thought it was a speech impediment. And you're like, you've known her her whole life. And then he says, I thought she had a speech impediment.
Speaker 4: I've known the kid since she was born, and she.
Speaker 1: Suddenly developed a speech and peditate.
Speaker 2: We was so puzzling.
Speaker 3: Oh, listen before.
Speaker 1: I fuck you stole the dog, she said, Oh, I'm hysterical that her dog is gone.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's me for him to go there is just another thing. That's a great scene. Yeah, you're yelling.
Speaker 4: Scenes are always I quite enjoy them, I have to say.
Speaker 2: And like I said, you've gotten nuanced in different things. You'll go at it suddenly, but we can see the build and then you go at it.
Speaker 1: It's important not to you know, to have levels. You don't want to just be up people all the time.
Speaker 2: Right right, But this is what you were given early on, is to be up here. We had a scene with Larry coming to the door and you were like, oh, okay, but then you lost your shit. But later on there's nuanced of it. They're very difficult scenes to film for one reason. They take a long time because Larry, when you yell on Larry, he doesn't just break fun.
Speaker 4: He gets the giggles.
Speaker 2: He no, he doesn't get the giggles. He loses his shit as you're yelling at him. And I'm gonna say, on Rickard, nothing makes him laugh harder than when you lose your shit. Nothing. So let's say this scene should take forty minutes to shoot, it'll take an hour.
Speaker 1: You know. I always think that my character must remind him of like his third grade teacher or something, or somebody that yelled at him all the time. Is what my character must remind him of.
Speaker 2: I think, if I may, that that's possible. But you're not giving yourself enough credit for just being on the surface fucking hilarious.
Speaker 4: That's all, thank you, Jeffrey.
Speaker 1: So now he has to go back to the browdies and get Oscar back because I am fucking pissed, and he says, first of all, I was wrong. Of course, you've got kids, it's a full time job.
Speaker 4: I was dead wrong.
Speaker 1: Elaborate, elaborate, on and on, and she's touched, she's moved.
Speaker 2: And then the moment after she's moved, you realize he's set himself up, he's made his bad and now we'll come the destruction.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and you know it watching it, you know as an audience, exactly what's going on. And she talks out the dog is great, the kids love the dog.
Speaker 4: He's so sweet.
Speaker 1: And then he says the owner of the dog wants him back, and you know her kids, meaning Sammy, is broken up about it. And she asked, well why, and Larry says, well, the daughter was drunk when she said he could take the dog. And Susan Brady says, leave right.
Speaker 2: Now, leave or I'm calling them police.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry not getting me the dog.
Speaker 4: No, I am not really going to.
Speaker 3: Disappoint my dog.
Speaker 5: You really going to disappoint a little girl?
Speaker 1: Oh, Larry, do you go back and tell her to have another drink because she's not getting her dog back?
Speaker 4: Okay, tell her to have another drink.
Speaker 3: I love what she says, well.
Speaker 2: By the way, if she wasn't so vindictive, the door would have been closed and he wouldn't have gotten knocks an Oscar back. But because she's yelling vindictive things at Larry, he thinks of it and he blows the whistle.
Speaker 1: So walks away and he realizes he has the dog whistle, and he blows the whistle and Oscar comes running out.
Speaker 4: And I love that.
Speaker 1: Last scene where Larry pulls up to our house and then we see Jim.
Speaker 4: It's a high, high shot.
Speaker 2: Well no, but hold on, it's set up so slowly. Yeah, but I mean this is beautiful because it takes his time. I get out of my car, suitcase, jacket over my shoulder. I'm at the door and I hear someone pull up. I turn I lay my stuff down, I walk out. I see Oscar. And the minute I see Oscar, I know I turn around.
Speaker 4: I grab my suitcase luggage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I turn around and I'm walking out. That's when this sky shot where you've seen the whole story, the turn back, the walking to my car and leaving, and that's the end of the show. I thought that was a.
Speaker 4: Thing of it, and you know it was.
Speaker 1: This is one of those very well crafted half hours.
Speaker 2: Doubt Yes, the last two episodes are two of my favorites. Very well and the special section. And by the way, credit to Andy Ackerman, the director, because Larry is not ever going to say something like hey, put a camera up there.
Speaker 4: That's not his thing. He's not camera savvy.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Andy Akerman had to have thought of that.
Speaker 1: And I think it was a terrific ending because nothing needed to be said. You know, it was a silent movie moment and we got it all and it was just like a poor jeff.
Speaker 2: It is set a thousand words. Yes, yes, yes, yes, Now I want to say that I'd like for a stand that way.
Speaker 4: There you go. But we have no wide shots. We have a still camera here.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: But it means just you can say thank you and then stop.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jeffrey, no, thanks, thank you for listening me. This has been Susie and jeff.
Speaker 2: No, that's all time. My point is go silent, thank them, say nothing else. We'll cut out.
Speaker 1: The History of Current Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio Map, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows,