Speaker 1: Episode number four forty three of the Marine Layer Podcast. It's a mailbag episode, so we'll open it up and answer your best listener questions.
Speaker 2: You guys, reminder before we start the show, just make sure you're downloading these podcast episodes if you're listening, and make sure you go rate and review and leave it five stars, whether you're on Apple or Spotify. And if you're watching the video component of this on YouTube, hit that subscribe button. You can find us at our website too, marine layerpod dot com. Everything's there, episodes, merch, Patreon, it's all at marine layerpod dot com, and then find us on social media. We're posting content every day at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling and we will peach. This episode of the Marine Layer Podcast part of the Just Baseball podcast network, recording here on Thursday evening, August thirteen. Is there one series into this road trip? Lyle and Well, they've proved us right again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they have.
Speaker 2: Like that was Alvin Davis's speech during fiftieth Weekend, right, prove us right. They're unfortunately continuing to prove us right because they had two games where they just got outworked and outclassed by a Yankees team that's flat out better than them, and then you win a one nothing duel thanks to a Weston Wilson home run.
Speaker 3: Like, think about that sentence right there.
Speaker 2: You win one nothing in Yankee Stadium thanks to a Weston Wilson home run to win one lowly game in the Bronx.
Speaker 1: Pop the champagne cause for celebration.
Speaker 3: Listen credit to Logan Gilbert.
Speaker 2: He pitched his tailoff and he outdueled Max Freed, bullpen held it down. This isn't a pitching knock, but good god man, one run and that's.
Speaker 3: How you win.
Speaker 1: The I wanted signs on this road trip while I'm watching these games that the Mariners have a chance to turn their seats and a round ers. Frankly, at this point save their season. There wasn't anything in New York that suggested they were saving their season. The reaction after the first two losses for the Mariners in this series where the exact same as the losses over the fiftieth weekend. Depressing, frustrating, and ultimately a team that's just not as good as the best teams in the American League, the teams they're gonna need to beat to get into the postseason. And by the way, this Yankees team is at like half strength. There's no judge. I don't think Cody Bellinger was playing this weekend either. They're they're far from full strength right now and clearly better than the Mariners are. I really wish we had a more optimistic take to come out of the series, but no, there was not really one.
Speaker 2: And you got the worst starter in the Yankees rotation in this series two and Will Warren and you scored some runs on them, but you still lost the game. I mean, in this series, you miss Judge, you miss Bellinger, you miss Stanton, you miss Schlitler because you didn't have to face them in their turn in the rotation and to face Garrett Cole and you still only won one of three in which you scored one run in your win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and look, they might play well this week and against the Astros, they very well might take two of three, because frankly, the Astros are the one team the Mariners have consistently beat this season. They played eight times and they've won seven of those games. Even though the Astros are a little bit healthier now. Maybe the Mariners just match up better with the Astros than they do with other teams. But going into this weekend, if the Mariners just take what two of three against the Astros, that's not enough at this point. The Mariners need to get into a habit now. If they're gonna save their season, they need to start sweeping teams, preferably sweeping teams in their own division. It would be a great start if they sweep the Astros. If they go out on the road and they look dominant against the Astros, I might have just the slightest more optimism when we sit down Sunday night to date until I see that, though, I can't.
Speaker 2: No, because if you only win two of three in Houston, and by the way, that's assuming you win two of three, but if they do, you're still four games back with just thirty seven games to play. And in those thirty seven games, you get the Brewers for three, you get the Cubs for three, so that's six. You get the Phillies for three, that's nine, you get the Red Sox for three, that's twelve. And if you want to count the Blue Jays, two o them in Toronto, So then fifteen of you're remaining thirty seven games is against those teams and you'd need to make up four games in those thirty seven, not just hold ground, not just tread water. You'd have to make up ground and against those teams on the road at Benway, on the road of Milwaukee, on the road in Toronto, home against the Cubs and Phillies.
Speaker 3: Oof.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least Dan had plenty good answers after the games.
Speaker 3: Good lord. We can get to that in a second.
Speaker 2: But I will just say the Mariners have not won a series against the team with a winning record since the end of May, when they beat the Diamondbacks at home, when they swept the Diamondbacks. Really, I mean, you want to go through the schedule. We're just sitting here, two friends talking ball with a with a few people hopefully listening.
Speaker 3: We can listen. We can go through the schedule right now.
Speaker 2: You want to go through their schedule since they last beat the Diamondbacks in May, so you go to June. Here are the series they've won the Mets at home. You know, the Mets don't have a winning record. No, they let's see what's the next.
Speaker 1: Series as who they began that win streak with. Definitely don't have a winning record. They've they've been awful.
Speaker 3: No, and the and the.
Speaker 2: A's series win was before the Diamondbacks because that was part of that win streak.
Speaker 3: I think it was part of the win streak.
Speaker 1: It was the start of the eight game win streak.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, yeah, because they got the A's and then the Diamondbacks. Right.
Speaker 2: So, anyway, you lost the series of the Tigers is still in June. You split with the Orioles, you lost to the Nationals. You beat the Orioles but they had a losing record at the time, lost the series to the Red Sox, lost the series to the Pirates, lost the series to the Guardians. Beat the Angels. Okay, great, you swept them. They certainly are not above five hundred as we know. You beat the Blue Jays, who were not above five hundred when they played that series. They're still not above five hundred now. Then you get swept by the Marlins, lose to a three to the Rays. Then it's the All Star break. You win the Giants series under five hundred, lose to the Reds, lose to the Rangers, lose to the Dodgers, beat the Twins in two or three under five hundred, lose to the Tigers, lose to the Rays lose to the Yankees. They have not won a series against the team over five hundred in two and a half months since the end of May against the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: And technically that could change. And what's funny about this whole thing is I the Diamondbacks is like, great, they're above five hundred? Are they really like that good?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Are the diamond Is that?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Is that like a series? You want to like plant your flag in and say, man, I'm happy the Mariners won that series against the Diamondbacks. That that really showed the rest of the league how serious the Mariners are. Oh, the Diamondbacks have a considerably better record than the Mariners, but these days that's not that hard.
Speaker 3: Oh dude.
Speaker 2: The only series they've won on the road against the team over five hundred this year is the last time they played the Astros. And by the way, I don't even think the Astros were over five hundred during that series the last time.
Speaker 1: No, I think they were in last place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were seventeen and twenty eight by the end of that series. They're over five hundred now, They certainly weren't over five hundred then. And aside from those guys, I mean, if the Mariners even won another series on the road against a team that's over five hundred this year, I'm looking at April. I don't think they have. I mean, they swept the Cardinals, who were over five hundred barely at that time.
Speaker 3: But as we sit down.
Speaker 1: They're barely over five hundred right now, they're sixty one and sixty.
Speaker 2: So the point being is when you're grasping for straws talking about the Mariners' best roads series wins of the year or over the Astros and the Cardinals, and their best series win of the year is like, essentially, in the last.
Speaker 1: The Brave Series was the best series win of the year.
Speaker 2: Sorry, yes it was in the last three months. Your best series win is over the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean again, this is assuming you're trying to put on the assumption that hey, if they win two of three in Houston, that's still not enough, just like let alone a sweep. No, there's not even a guarantee they win two of three. And by the way, you lose this series in Houston, I'll stamp it right here.
Speaker 3: You lose the series in Houston, the season is over. That's that's it.
Speaker 2: You lose you lose two of three or worse, you are minimum six back with thirty seven to go.
Speaker 3: And the rest of that August schedule looming.
Speaker 2: You lose this series, you're done. You gotta win this series. It all, it all rides on this weekend. At this point, you have got to go win this series.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent agree. I honestly, they need to win every series for the rest of the season. I mentioned the math on Wednesday's podcast listener. Desmond and I were going through it while we were sitting there at the Hall getting ready to tape the podcast on Tuesday night. But like to get the Mariners to eighty five wins, they essentially need to win two out of every three games the rest of the season. They essentially need to win every series just to get to eighty five wins. That's the kind of hill the Mariners are standing at right now. So yeah, I mean, it's bare minimum that they need to win the series next but you're right, I think they need to sweep because they need to start making up considerable ground if we're going to see any real sort of change.
Speaker 2: And even if you sweep the Astros, then you have to hold serve against the Brewers, because if you go sweep in Houston and then get swept in Milwaukee, who's not only the best team in baseball by record, but the best offense in baseball, you go get swept in Milwaukee, you just wiped away every piece of ground you made up, at least in your own record, because three wins will have been negated by three losses. So you would have to go sweep in Milwaukee and then you have to hold Serve in or sorry, you'd have to go to sweep in Houston and then hold serve in Milwaukee.
Speaker 1: So they would need we need So five of six is what we're saying. They need to win five of their next six games to save for us to not declare their season over by the end of the road trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean if you sweep Houston and you lose two of three in Milwaukee, I mean we can check in on how Houston's doing during the week because if they match up win loss wise with the Mariners, then maybe you're still around two or three back and it's still in range. But yes, like roughly five of six and you need all three wins against the Astros.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you this weekend did not suggest much that the Mariners were gonna go get five of six wins in the next two series. But I guess I feel better about them facing the Astros. But the American League West sucks, so great, congratulations to them. Anything else before we get to.
Speaker 2: The mail bag, Well, it's like you said, at least Dan had some really awesome answers. Every postgame in the Bronx was just that was that was a riveting time, a riveting old time.
Speaker 1: Would I be lying if I said I actually look forward to like what he has to say after the game.
Speaker 3: I do too, because I simply wait to hear if we're gonna get a tough one or not.
Speaker 1: I know you listen for that, but I actually listened for like the quotes, not because I'm actually interested in like the meaning of what he has to say, Because everyone listening to this could could essentially sum up how Dan would answer any single question. Or it's like find x positive out of the negativity of the question and talk about it and then don't acknowledge anything else. That's essentially how he answers everything. But where he like talks about that, he like liked the matchup of Michael Rucker on on what was that Wednesday?
Speaker 3: Tuesday?
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's Tuesday. Sorry that he like liked the matchup of Michael Rucker and the seventh inning against the Yankees on Tuesday. I mean, you honestly just have to respect a master at work.
Speaker 3: At that point, I was wondering where you were going with this.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, you like to see how he can trip over himself with his words, That's what you were getting.
Speaker 1: At sure, But even like again at this point, I mean, it's just kind of funny.
Speaker 2: Oh, like you said, it's like watching Picasso paint with these postgame pressers.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 2: Because when he says we liked the matchup of Michael Rucker, I just want to acknowledge we recorded very shortly after the end of Tuesday's game, and we were taping with our friends over at Queen Anne Beer Hall and with Corona, which is a blast to everybody that came out, thank you, But we were taping shortly after then. I realized the next morning just how disastrous that decision was because we simply thought to ourselves at the time, well, spire was down. Ferrera had already pitched, you gotta do something. I did not realize Michael Rucker was giving up a nine to ninety one ops against left handed batters this season, nine ninety one. And by the way, he's got a rod ops against of eight fifty two, so he's not good on the road, and he's even worse against lefties. And I know you inspired down and unavailable, but your next best option is the guy who's getting crushed into oblivion by lefties, and you had him face two lefties. Dude, what are we doing? And then we we liked the matchup? Yeah, what about it? Because when you say we like the matchup and provide no context, it makes you and everybody else around you look worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like that in itself is objectively terrible. What's also bad in that spot is like the only the two guys you essentially could have, I mean, not even convinced yourself, because the Mariners are in a position with their bullpend that socially and Brian will only goes five, you need to cover four innings. There's not I guess as many good options as you'd like when you need your down one reliever, especially when you would have definitely used in that spot. I guess it would have been like Josh sim saying, like Josh Simpson did in pitch the sixth then he did he on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think he pitched it all in this series. If I have that, I no Freer.
Speaker 1: Pitched the sixth inning on on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think. I don't think Simpson pitch.
Speaker 2: And look, I hate to say it, because he has not inspired confidence so far, but that is probably domingas a spot or it should have been. He's not great against lefties either, but at least he strikes batters out. He gets swing and miss sometimes.
Speaker 1: Uh, that's I think that. That's my second point here, where it's like, I don't think the Mariners trust Sir Anthony Dimingez at all. Well, then he's been pitching in mop up duty.
Speaker 3: Well, then it's sure a good thing.
Speaker 2: They added no other relievers at the deadline and also picked up the ten and a half million bucks on his contract next year.
Speaker 3: It is just awesome.
Speaker 2: It is really awesome that that was their one reliever that they added, tried to like promote him and tried to like spin him publicly as a leverage guy, and now he's pitching in mop up and you let Michael Rucker in his tent is ten hundred ops against lefties pitching, that's.
Speaker 1: Him, because in some order they would have had to like throw I don't know, they would have to put Bizart to win instead of him, who's also really really really struggled, and then maybe you go to Domingas and an inning later in the eighth inning. I don't know, man, dude, they're bullpen. It's just like it's a mess. It's there's if they're gonna refuse to pitch Andres Munos before the ninth inning, which they clearly have. He has barely thrown the last like two months because he he's just being saved for the ninth inning with the lead, and the Mariners are ten and twenty three in their last thirty three games, so literally only ten possible games he could throw in in that in that incense. So it just leaves the Mariners in a terrible spot, and of course they just leave someone who's just not good at that at all to manage the whole scenario. It really is just it is a great way to celebrate fifty seasons of Mariners baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, we can get to the mailbag. I mean What else are we gonna say about the series? It was good they won one game, they stole won by scoring one run. But what else are you gonna say? It comes down to this weekend. You've got to sweep in Houston or you're in big trouble.
Speaker 1: Facts all right, Before we get to our mailbag, we want to tell you guys about Emerald Queen Casino's summer lineup of shows this Saturday. Yachtlee Crew goes to EQC on August fifteenth, Brantley Gilbert on August twenty second, Pete Davidson on August twenty eighth, and Bobby Lee on September fourth. Get your tickets today at Emerald Queen dot com. Emerald Queen Casino is the entertainment capital of the Northwest, and while you're there, you can take your night to the next level at Sla Hall Steakhouse, rooftop Dining at Emerald Queen gives you mountain to sound views paired with premium stakes and creative cocktails. You'll just have to see it to believe it. Come by Friday and Sunday from four to ten pm and Saturday from four to eleven pm. Get your reservation today on open table or by calling two five three four four one thirty one oh one. That's two five three four four one thirty one oh one. And a reminder to you if you want to get in on these mail bags, the place to go is our patreon that's patreon dot com slash Marine leyra Pod. There's three different tiers you can choose from. If you want to sign up, you get access to ad free episodes. You get priority on these mailbag episodes. So if you want a question answered every single week, and you get it answered every single week, and then you also have the chance to get on a video call monthly with Lal and I to answer all sorts of Mariners in life questions. So that sounds like something that's interesting to you. Go check out our patreon at patreon dot com slash Marine Layer Pod. Joh teen gets us started on the mail bag and asks do you guys think someone like Justin Turner would have helped the m's clubhouse, motivation, culture, etc. If you were to add him to this team.
Speaker 2: Does he mean adam to the team as a player, Because look, Justin Turner was great in the half season he was here, but he ran out a seventy two ops plus with the Cubs last year at forty years old, and now I think he's playing in Mexico.
Speaker 1: So how are stats in Mexico?
Speaker 3: Is that? Can you find those?
Speaker 1: I never like those are on reference.
Speaker 2: I've looked, but I think sometimes it's just the winner. Oh yeah, look at this Tijuana Justin Turner. You know what, credit to him. He's got an eight to sixty four ops down in Tijuana and he's hitting nearly three hundred. Shout out JT, shout out the Red Dream.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, would you rather have Justin Turner or Rob Refsnyder this season?
Speaker 3: Dude? It can't be worse, right, I don't.
Speaker 1: You don't think so.
Speaker 2: I mean if if JT repeated, if JT repeated his seventy two ops plus again this year, that's like triple what Rob Refsnyder was putting up. So yeah, and eight percent worse than the league average.
Speaker 1: Still, you know, I think that a twenty twenty four Justin Turner on the bench would have helped in a number of ways. It would have helped the Mariner's bench get better, because the Mariner's bench is horrendous and atrocious to season and gives them zero flexibility when pinch hitting, whether it be injuries or just underperformance. But I also think the clubhouse leadership part of it is one hundred percent. We compare the season to twenty twenty three a decent bit Besides, you know, the win loss record, the disappointment of those two seasons are pretty similar. One thing it's clear both of these teams were missing is they didn't really have that sturdy, veteran presence in the clubhouse when things aren't going well. In twenty twenty two, the Mariners had Carlos Santana. Carlos Santana was very into girl, especially with rookie Julio Rodriguez. In twenty twenty four, Justin Turner was added. They didn't end up making the playoffs, but guys gushed about Justin Turner. Last year you had cal when you had sixty home runs, it's a little bit easier to lead. Everyone looks at you. It's like, oh, yeah, this guy's historic. Great. But in twenty three and twenty six, we're not. Don't quite have that.
Speaker 3: No, and you had Gino at the end of twenty five.
Speaker 1: To two, right, that definitely helps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, you don't have that guy this year. Now, I don't think at all serious and as Justin Turner can still really be playing meaningful time in the big leagues. I think there's a reason he's just playing in Mexico now. He's probably just trying to hang on and doesn't want to quite quit baseball yet. And I'm guessing he'll be done, if not after this season. Maybe he plays one more year internationally. But would I entertain the idea of Justin Turner being on the staff as like some sort of hitting coach and some role as a hitting coach. Sure, he'd probably be really good at that, like maybe not the main guy without having any experience of doing it, but as some role. Yeah, like moving forward?
Speaker 1: Sure, well, I hear the Maritors could use an assistant hitting coach.
Speaker 2: Oh you mean an assistant to the assistant hitting coach, because you remember Teach they fired their third hitting coach and that fixed everything.
Speaker 1: If you want to call Edgar the hitting coach. Yeah, sure, yeah, I would look.
Speaker 2: I wonder if Justin Turner will coach one day, and if he decides to get into coaching, Yeah, he'd probably be a really good presence for the guys in that clubhouse.
Speaker 1: Is he gonna come work for the Mariners.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean he did.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say his last impression publicly acknowledging the Mariners, he essentially was calling them cheap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his remember the exact words. It was put on a couple of quote cards. He said, what the hell are you doing? Are you trying?
Speaker 1: Sounds like simwhere he's just dying to come work.
Speaker 3: Well, he wasn't wrong when he said it.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Justin Turner two, by the way, Like the dude has made plenty of money. He could just hang it up and retire, and instead he's just playing in Tijuana. Like, yeah, that'd before him, Like that's great, Like that's when you know, it's like it's for the love of the game.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no doubt, which is why I think he might get into coaching.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Next question comes from Alex on Patreon. Alex's question is could we be concerned about Colt Emerson's long term development? Do you think he would still be up with the Mariners if JP were healthy. Well, we got an answer to this one today.
Speaker 2: We did because after the game on Thursday, you guys probably saw the Mariners option Colt Emerson down to tripa A.
Speaker 3: They called it brock Rotten, which.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to him because he's about to make his big league debut at some point this weekend. But yeah, I'm not shocked they made the move because it was just time for Cult to get a reset, and it was time for him to just get some confidence back and see the ball land on grass and see the ball land over the fence and again just have a little bit of a mental like again, I think reset's the best word, a mental reset. But concerned about Cult's long term development, No, I'm not. I know it's been a rough stretch over the last six weeks, and I know it hasn't been perfect in his rookie year, but he's twenty years old or now twenty one. He's so talented, he's got such a good head on him. This is not like Kelnick, where he was very, very mentally fragile, and people knew that early on, basically at the first sign of his struggles. That's not how Colt Emerson's wired. And I think moving forward he's gonna be totally fine. But am I shocked they sent him to Tacoma. No, because the reset's not the end of the world for him and probably not the worst thing for him.
Speaker 1: I'm not shot. I'm not concerned about Colt Emerson's development yet. I think I'd need to see more to actually be concerned, because sometimes rookies struggle doesn't matter. Yeah, twenty one, twenty four, Like it's your first experience in Major League Baseball and you could be overwhelmed, And it is clear that Colt Emerson is really overwhelmed. I also just think the Mariners couldn't afford to have his bat in the lineup anymore. It was just untenable the last two months. He has a WRC plus of twenty two. You can't have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, since July first. I'm not kidding, it's eight. He is the WRC plus of eight since July.
Speaker 1: First, and we can't It's hard for us to justify him being in the lineup. I know we say he makes them better because of the defense. But when you have a WRC plus of eight essentially in the last month and a half, and you and I are pounding the table saying like everything he's about twenty two needs to be about twenty twenty six, then this move was about twenty twenty six right now. For the big league club, and I think for Cole Emerson like he needs to be, he needs to be reminded that he doesn't suck at the plate. He needs to go down to Tacoma, put the barrel on the baseball and be a confident hitter at the plate again, and probably like Hoan is in his approach again, because when you're struggling as much as he is at the big league level, you can get out of your approach after one pitch, you get a call, you take a accidentally take a fastball right down the middle, and you're like, oh, crap, I was supposed to crush that pitch, and then he's in his head the rest of the at bat. He needs to get back to what made him made him so great down in Tacoma, and if he's still got some developing to do against fastballs, he's just gonna have to do it the next time he's up at the big league level, which I think you are a little more optimistic about how soon he'll be up than I am. You said a couple of weeks till rosters expand I wouldn't be shocked if we just kind of wait until the Triple A season is over and then they add cold back. He's already been on the forty man and on the big league roster, so you can add him to a hypothetical playoff roster if you need to. So that part I'm not really worried about. I just need Colt to get a feet under him, and I need the Mariners to have a shortstop who doesn't have a WRS plus an eight in the lineup.
Speaker 3: But if he.
Speaker 2: Comes back on September first, when rosters expand, that's two and a half weeks down in Tacoma, and.
Speaker 1: I might leave him down there the rest of the season. I mean, it's not like he's it's not like he's just struggling at the big league level. He's not a big league bat right now. I don't know how I don't know how else we can we can describe it. He's not and I don't think I don't think two and a half weeks is going to change that.
Speaker 2: We'll see how the two and a half weeks. If he's lighting it up, then could be a different story. However, the flip side to this is you're gonna have those spots filled now by Leo Revos and Brock Rodden. That doesn't scream twenty twenty six either.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the point is to upgrade at shortstop. However you're going to do it. But like my question, you who else was gonna play short.
Speaker 2: Well, it's probably gonna be Jp Crawford again when he gets back healthy. Who By the way, there's a reason they moved him off that position, and now.
Speaker 3: He's back there.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play there, it would be spreaded.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then you have Leo Rivas and brock Rodden playing there. By the way, it's not like brock Rodden's lit the world on fire down in Tacoma.
Speaker 3: He really hasn't. He's been fine.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying Leo Rivas and brock Rodden are gonna save the season at shortstop. I'm just saying it does the Mariners and Cole Emerson no good if he continues to do what he did at shortstop, and I wouldn't be surprised if they they leave it that way for longer.
Speaker 2: I would just warn people that rock Rodden long term could be a nice utility infielder for them. Maybe he could learn the corner outfield spots a little and be just a utility player long term. Rock Roddin's got a one zh six WRC plus and Tacoma. I mean, that's not exactly inspiring confidence that he's gonna come up and mash in the big leagues. And he's an older prospect too, he was a fifth round draft pick out of Wichita State.
Speaker 3: So this is where we're at in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: People like, this is your supposed best option now at shortstop.
Speaker 1: Well, whenever a team gets to their third best option at shortstop, like that's what's gonna happen, Like this is this is the bed the Mariners made themselves. They had a guy in JP Crawford who they thought could at least hit this season, though his defense at short is no good at all. And then their other option was a top five prospect in baseball. Now there's a gamble when you promote a prospect like that. You can get Kevin McGonagall, who's a top ten player in baseball already this season, playing the same position as Colt for the Tigers. Well, or you can get Colt, who's who's on the polar opposite end of the hitting spectrum to Kevin McGonagall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, unfortunately, and I really don't like him, like watching him play shortstop defense at this point in his career. I know I'm not alone on that, but I do feel like JP just ends up going back to short when he gets healthy. I do because if you do that, it's not a perfect solution. But then Brendan Donovan goes back to third, Cole Young's at second. You don't have to have West and Wilson in the lineup every day. Like I guess, JP's defense really is brutal at shortstop these days. But and you guys know that, but offensively it might make the most sense.
Speaker 1: We'll find out when he gets back. Yeah, all right. Next question on the mail bag comes from Patrick on Patreon. Patrick's question is favorite movies or shows you've been watching or have watched lately. Needs something to fill my time since I'm officially done with Maritors games in the evening SMH.
Speaker 3: Can't blame them.
Speaker 2: We need more questions like this, By the way, if the season's gonna keep going like this, We always want to take your guys's questions, which is why we do these mail bags. But man feel free to send things like this because we could all use some upbeat, lighthearted talk when the Maritners are playing baseball the way they're playing. So to answer your question, Patrick, I don't think TJ and I have actually gotten to sit down and recap much of House with the Dragon. But there's a show both of us have definitely been watching. I mean, season three just wrapped up. I'm assuming you also finished it like I did.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Yeah, I loved it. I thought it was it's it's really good.
Speaker 2: I won't give any spoilers, any crazy spoilers, but just for a second here, as we're sitting here and talking about the shows we watch, Rania has about as much confidence as Dan Wilson is a queen, doesn't she.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an insecure ass family man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, her confidence level is not high.
Speaker 1: All of them. It runs, it runs in their blood, all of them, all in all of the essentially in all of the all of the shows about Game of Thrones, like Targarians are a crazy group man like very for all like the things they have, like very insecure group and not she She's out there giving a speech to all the people, just like Dan Wilson and making just as much sense.
Speaker 3: Well right after she well, never mind, no spoilers. I was about to say something.
Speaker 1: It's just I mean, it's just like it's it's just like Dan too, and like when the game's going on, when she's like when she's like work, things are speeding up on her. Yeah, just can't make the right decision in the moment, and she makes the wrong one under pressure in the backfires.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: It's honestly like you d parallels so that that show has been really good other.
Speaker 3: Than House of the Dragon.
Speaker 2: Honestly, if we want to stick on the Seattle theme here with people, what other show have we been watching?
Speaker 3: Hard Knocked but awesome.
Speaker 1: I haven't gotten to watch yet, man, I will so now that the Mariners are on the road, I'm hoping I'll get to watch a couple of the two episodes this week before they released the third one on Tuesday. I still haven't gotten to watch. I've just gotten a scene. I've seen the clip of McDonald and Emon Worry talking in his in his office, which I mean just it's a great insight into like the mindset of Mike McDonald. I loved the clip of him like asserting himself on the practice field against Arek Hall. I thought that was fabulous.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's hilarious. I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: That's how episode two starts, and then they show it again later it's it's hilarious and they talk about in the episode this is why they love Derek Hall, and it's also why Derek Hall drives him crazy, because like he's so physical and like he's like, you know, he's such a grinder, and obviously he never wants to take plays off. But when you're Mike McDonald, yes, of course you're gonna be pissed in August during training camp when you're getting near the quarterback and nearly take Sam Donald's legs out.
Speaker 3: So I get it. I mean, you're right.
Speaker 2: The clip was hilarious where Derek Hall's pissed that he's getting yanked out of practice. He's like, oh my god, like what are we doing? What am I supposed to do? And Mike McDonald's like, you can. It's like you can say fuck all you want, you can say it all you want, But turns out I'm running the fucking practice.
Speaker 3: I thought that was again.
Speaker 1: And then of the course, people if you go scroll the comments and the quote tweets of that post, you will find people saying like man, and people like Dan Wilson.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say it is the polar opposite. Mike McDonald really is is awesome, by the way, another guy who was not the world's sharpest interview when he first started the gig, but man, in two years it has been a total one to eighty.
Speaker 3: I love listening to Mike McDonald talk. I really do. He is so insightful, he is so knowledgeable.
Speaker 2: I mean, the guy just again like it didn't start that way, but now clearly he's worked on it, and he's just such a like he's such a like a bottle of knowledge and energy in his own unique way.
Speaker 3: I think it's really cool.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I can't wait to get watch in Hard Knocks so I can really see more of that. So I will make it my goal by Tuesday to watch those two episodes of Hard Knocks. The other I've been watching a lot of Drive to Survive because I've been on this f one kick this year. I love. I think it's fabulous, very very very interesting. I've also been watching Fallout Fallout, which is really good too, great music in that show. So I think that's those a couple of things I've been watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't watched either of those shows. But what else have I watched?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm still due to go see the new Mandalorian movie. And you just see the new Spider Man movie. I haven't seen any of.
Speaker 3: That, of you.
Speaker 1: I have seen the Mando movie. It's like, it's fine, It's what you'd expect when they've gotten to this point. They're their best work they've already done on the TV show. So I'll just just say that, like, it's a good movie, but nothing that's gonna win any awards or anything like that. The Spider Man movie, I haven't. No, the only movie I've seen recently is the of like the one everyone else has seen. I saw The Odyssey nearly had my head explode because I was sitting in the third row. But yeah, I don't get to see as many movies these days. I don't wish I could see more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't either. Wasn't there already an Odyssey movie? Though?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was an old one back in like two thousand and five. It's not it wasn't called I don't think it was called the Odyssey, right, I think it was. It was called something else they can I don't remember the name. Of it, but it told it did tell I think parts of the same story, because like, the Odyssey is of like and like one of the oldest stories of humanity. Right, It's been written forever, but it was finally actually put into a high production movie.
Speaker 2: So sure you said it, and I'll take your word for it that it's one of the oldest stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you definitely learned that school, didn't you.
Speaker 3: Yep, clearly, I'm sitting here acknowledging it.
Speaker 1: Well. Did you watch did you watch or read Percy Jackson at all?
Speaker 3: Yes? Oh, those those were really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, although there's a lot of the same, a lot of the some of the things Percy did in the second book were like, that's the Odyssey.
Speaker 3: What is that one? The Sea of Monsters?
Speaker 1: Right right, that's the Odyssey.
Speaker 2: Hmm, dude, I gotta tell you they they really really blew it. About as bad as I've seen any book turned a movie blow it. Ever, with those Percy Jackson movies, with how good those books were, I thought those movies were gonna be absolutely off the charts, the same way that Harry Potter was, the same way that The.
Speaker 3: Hunger Games were.
Speaker 2: I mean, those were as bad as you can draw up those Percy Jackson movies.
Speaker 1: Well, have you seen the Disney Plus show?
Speaker 3: No, but those movies.
Speaker 1: It's much better than those movies were.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I hope you're right.
Speaker 1: I think that might save some of your disappointment the book turn to film because I actually really like those I think they're really good.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, now we know, thank you Patrick for getting us off the Mariners for a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, these days, I mean, Mariners aren't making it easy to actually talk about them, so talking about other things, Arno is the end of the world?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Next question comes from Michael on Patreon. Michael's question is Okay, I hate saying this, but looking forward to twenty twenty seven, aside from the bullpen, where do you look to improve this offense and what players are you looking at to fix this Mariners team?
Speaker 3: There's not a lot.
Speaker 2: I mean, this off season market is similar to this trade deadline market, which is it's not very deep. It's just once you get past scooball thin. Now, I do have a couple names. I'm just acknowledging that it's not a loaded market this offseason. The two names I will circle one is he in half, and that would be a free agent signing.
Speaker 3: Because he is exactly what this team would need.
Speaker 2: Switch hitter, versatile plays in field, plays outfield. Could hit him toward the top of the order if you have to. I think that would be a really good fit. Now, he's thirty two, so you'd have to be a little cautious about the money you'd give him, but I would say he'd be one option and the other option would be in the final year of his deal. You could try and go trade for Yandy Diaz from.
Speaker 1: The Rais assuming Randy's not back.
Speaker 2: Well, no, this is assuming Randy's gone. You bring in Yandy and they never have to cross paths. For those who don't know, I don't think Yandi and Randy really get along.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love the idea of Ian Halp. He might already be my favorite player on the market this upcoming off season, especially when you have a void of Randy. I know people are gonna make the case for Michael Royal to play left field, but if I have the choice between Michael Arroyo and Ian Hap for twenty twenty seven, I would take Ian Happ. You'd probably have to send him to a three year deal, so you might have a bad year or two even on that contract if you sign him. But I mean, if you go look at his Fangrafts or Baseball Reference page, it's like mister consistent. He's not gonna blow you away offensively. But he's never sucked ever. He's never had like a bad season. He's always like anywhere from like a win and a half to three and a half wins as a baseball player. And he's a plus defender two, which good lord, this team needs more of those on the team.
Speaker 2: He's won four straight gold Gloves in left field.
Speaker 1: I would take that every single day in the week. I'm going from that from Randy to that will be will be a great He won't be totally cheap. We were talking about this before. He's not gonna get a Randy contract since he's gonna be thirty two next year. If you get him for like three years, he's on a three for sixty right now, maybe you get him since he's a little bit older, you get him at three for forty five, three for fifty. Could you stretch the budget to that? I would think so. Getting Randy off the books, like his salary essentially swaps with Randy. Yeah, you would think I'd take that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, agreed.
Speaker 2: Other than that, yeah, Yandi Diaz, but that would also involve the Rays saying yes to moving him.
Speaker 1: We got a lot of time though till the offseason, so and we just got done with the trademarkt But I'd say early on, I'd say that's a pretty good name to look at on this free agent market. But as Lyell list said, it's just not it's not great. If you're hoping for this team to get significantly better this offseason, it's probably not gonna come via free agency. Have I uh, I haven't said this actually on the podcast. I created rules for the Mariners in the off season now that they're not allow to do one thing the Mariners will not be doing this offseason, if I have any say, is signing a right handed hitting.
Speaker 3: Platoon ba No, never again.
Speaker 1: They're banned from ever signing a right handed hitter who only hits lefties. I literally refuse to have another one of those on the roster as a free agent.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're as bad an OH for three as OH for three can go. Pollock, Solano, Repsneider, three.
Speaker 1: Guys who that was their last season yeah, how does that happen?
Speaker 3: Not great? Not great? Bob.
Speaker 1: Do you want to guess what the other two rules are?
Speaker 2: Well, you told them to me earlier. So do you want me to act dam or do you want to just tell the people.
Speaker 1: I'll just tell the people. The second one is you're not allowed to hire any former players as either your manager, your GM, or your president of baseball ops. It's just not allowed if there's a candidate who has played a single game for the Seattle Mariners. I know we were like, what if they're only here a year? No, I'm setting a blanket rule. If you spend a single game in a Seattle Mariner's uniform, you're instantly disqualified from every leadership role within the organization. Done well.
Speaker 2: I don't know about if you play half a season or one season.
Speaker 1: Nope, I'm just I'm gonna make it consistent. There's no gray areas. I refuse to allow gray areas in this lysle seeming. The Mariners have made this hard enough, I'm gonna make it easy for them.
Speaker 3: Not allowed, all right, No former players at.
Speaker 1: All, Donovan Solano, you can you cannot be the Seattle Mariners manager. I don't care if you sucked. You're not allowed. Yeah, yes, and then my last rule was gosh, oh, I'm gonna keep forgetting my rules. I wrote these rules.
Speaker 3: Well, no platoons, no former players as a manager.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're not allowed to say the word World Series until you clinch a playoff spot.
Speaker 3: Ah right, yes, yep, now agreed.
Speaker 1: Let me know how you think. What do you think about those rules? In the comments below. We're gonna probably spend a whole offseason assessing how the Mariners follow those rules. Alex on Patreon asks is two thousand and two the best comparison for this Mariners team. Both came off an ALCS loss with the World Series expectations, only to end up third in the division. What should the front office learn from what happened next?
Speaker 2: Well, except the team in two thousand and two won ninety three games.
Speaker 3: They just got really unlucky and missed the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the sentiment because I get what he's getting at, But dude, I would do anything for ninety three wins from this team this year.
Speaker 3: Last year's team didn't even win ninety three games.
Speaker 1: So the team a team was just unlucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, I mean, it was mostly all of the two thousand and one team. Again, it's just the Angels got hot and the A's obviously ripped off twenty in a row in two thousand and two. But yeah, I would say, I mean, can the front office learn from two thousand and two that would be a long way back to go.
Speaker 1: Well, they can learn that they didn't set themselves up well for the future, which is ironic given some of the conversations we've had and my twenty twenty six focus of this baseball team and not considering the years twenty twenty seven or twenty twenty eight. So like what they can learn is just you need to be better more than just this single year. Yeah, isn't that weird to hear me? Hear me saying that. I think that's what they learned. I think they learned that you can't just like hedge all your chips on the one, two three season and then they were just bad for another ten years and unable to recover that back. So I think they've set themselves up a little bit better beyond the season. But better is you know, a relative term, because in two thousand and three the Mariners also won ninety three games. I can't tell you how many games next year's Mariners are gonna win. I don't think they're gonna win ninety three games. I've never seen the Mariners win ninety three games. I don't know what that's like. But if I'm gonna give a general answer, I'd say, have a have a better farm system and draft better.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Agreed.
Speaker 1: So Ralph on Patreon is next and he asks what do you make of Cal's comments to the media this week, in particular his comments about placing the blame on himself.
Speaker 3: I would say there's two elements to this.
Speaker 2: There's the part of Cal going out of his way to try to take ownership for a lot of what's happened this season. And for that, it's one of the things I always give Cal credit for. He keeps things very real. He does not shy away from any real I mean, he does not shy away from much of anything. He knows it's been a tough go for him this year. Even though he is likely playing hurt, He's not making excuses, and for that I always commend him.
Speaker 3: But going out of your way to.
Speaker 2: He might feel like he has to, because look, the players are online. No matter what they tell you, they see things. They see almost everything. I'm sure these guys know that Dan Wilson's getting absolutely torched on the daily. So maybe Cal felt, especially because of the relationship that him and Dan have, that he needed to just get into the public and try and defend Dan. But I don't know, man, I just don't know how much there is to defend with the way he's managed that those are the two sides of them.
Speaker 1: While Dan's not going to defend himself from these decisions than the leader of the team, Cal Rawley's gonna have to. He's doing what leaders do, right, He's going to try and take some responsibility. And frankly, he is right. There is no there's been no one who's impacted the team by poor play more than Cal this season. That's right. If, as he said, he's sucked offensively, he has, and if he didn't suck, I think the Mariners would mean a lot better position than they currently are. I totally understand that where he says it's not really Dan's fault, I don't really agree with no, not not entirely. There's obviously there's plenty of blame to go around. Dan's not the only one who impacts wins or losses. But yeah, I mean that's it's nice that someone is willing to step up and take accountability for this team. But also like, yeah, and like it is what it is at this point, like everyone knows how what it is. Like I appreciate cal saying something, but we all see what's happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And honestly, sometimes I think even more so than the players. And what I mean by that is not that we have more insight than the players or we know or we you know, have more baseball knowledge than the players. That's not what I'm saying, because I'm say these guys are pros, are major leaguers. But we've talked about this before. These guys have such a job to do on the regular that they're so focused on so many specific things that they don't have the time to be analyzing bullpen decisions the way we do. And I honestly think they don't see or really stop to think about some of the things that go down. But we all have the ability to stop and think that, And that's why sometimes fans perspective is an interesting one and a different one than players, and not always the wrong one, because the players do see a side of all this that we don't get to see. And I'm sure there's things that they like about their clubhouse and like about their coaching staff that we don't get to see. There's also things that we see, for much more of a bird's eye view perspective, that they don't see because they're so fixated on certain things. And I don't think they're sitting there analyzing bullpen decisions. If they were, they'd be seeing the same thing that we're seeing. It's not rocket science, guys, and you guys listening all know that.
Speaker 1: Right one percent agree. Cameron on Patreon has quite a doozy of a question. He asks, if you had to pick one, who would you want on the Mariners next season? Option A is just Dan Wilson, Option B is twenty twenty two, Abraham Touro, Option C is twenty twenty five, Dylan Moore, and Option D is twenty twenty six. Rob Refsnyder.
Speaker 2: That's a great question, Cameron. This is why we take Patreon questions. And I'll just answer for both TJ and I. It's Abe Torow twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: I had the same answer. Actually, you know why you did? Yeah, you know why. You know why you know why, because you can just option him down to triple A.
Speaker 3: Oh you're you're no fun.
Speaker 1: What I mean? See, let's go through it. Option A. Mariners are clearly unwilling to fire Dan Wilson if the season requires it. Number one, Uh, Dylan Moore twenty twenty five didn't have any options left. He's your longest tenured player. You're gonna hold on to him as long as humanly possible until you have literally no choice but to let him go. And then twenty twenty six, Rob Refsnudder. I don't know how Rob Refsnudter survived on the roster as long as he did this season, but the man made it all the way until August before getting let go. So like at least with Abe Toro, right like Abe Toro was stuck on the roster, Abe Trow would not be stuck on this roster. If he was playing the way he was, he would be sent down to the minor leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I wanted to sit here and say twenty twenty five Dylan Moore simply because he was just versatile. And then I remember, just about a year ago when we did the exercise on this very podcast about how after learning and looking up the numbers and finding out that Dylan Moore and his ability to hit left handed pitching had gone to a one forty ops again in a three month stretch, like for a man that was on the roster to hit lefties, and Dylan Moore he was not hitting one forty batting.
Speaker 3: Average wise, he was opsing.
Speaker 2: One forty over three month stretch against left handed pitching, which led us to the podcast exercise of going through and saying, could felnin Celliston back when he was in Everett the ops ing one forty against lefties in the big leagues? Could your hair Batista literally not even in the Complex League yet be opsing one in the big leagues? That was a real podcast exercise we did with a bunch of the minor leaguers.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, Devo's out, ref Snider's.
Speaker 2: Out, Dan's certainly out, and then that leaves Abe Toro kN Kratz.
Speaker 1: Abe and his ops I think is higher than all of theirs.
Speaker 3: Well there you go. Love to see it.
Speaker 1: Abe was opsing like five hundred, which is like monumental compared to what Refsnutterer and Demo were doing.
Speaker 3: It. It really is a shame. I say it all the time.
Speaker 2: It's a shame this podcast was not in full swing during twenty twenty two. Abe Toro is it is a side of TJ that is one of my favorite sides I've ever seen. This dude every day would send me messages and like all capital letters, just demanding for his DFA and his send down and is anything.
Speaker 1: He was awful? I mean he was not so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was good. He wasn't good.
Speaker 1: Twenty two starts at d H with a five hundred ops.
Speaker 3: Yeah that he made.
Speaker 1: A buddy, buddy, that's your job.
Speaker 2: Yeah sad, it's just yeah.
Speaker 1: Xander asks you guys have any plans in October Cancun?
Speaker 3: Maybe one, two three can coon?
Speaker 1: Some people say, I mean someone wants to fly us down to Cancun in October? I'm down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do do any of those all inclusive resorts down in Cancun or honestly Cabo too, any of those really nice uh beach towns in Mexico with all inclusive resorts? Anybody looking for some podcast sponsorship? Honestly, we don't even We don't have to take the money. If you just give us an all inclusive or like an all expect is paid trip to the all inclusive resort.
Speaker 3: We'll do some ad reads for you. I will pay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, send us an email. We're down as sitting too and uh in chats some business. I would love some sun in October please.
Speaker 2: I mean while the Mariners are sitting at home on their couch, or maybe we'll run into them in cancuon some.
Speaker 3: Of the players.
Speaker 2: We'll be sitting like fifteen drinks fifteen drinks deep at the pool and Cabo, just setting up to record an impromptu pod about well, Mariners are out of it? What do we want to talk about today while the playoffs are going on? Shout out to our friends at Resort X.
Speaker 1: What if Dan goes to Cancun? No, what if he goes to the same resort we were.
Speaker 3: At, Invite him on the pod.
Speaker 1: If he wants to come on.
Speaker 2: No, I'm kidding that would be that would I wouldn't do that disservice to all our listeners to put people through like twenty to thirty minutes of that interview. Well, what if we ran into a at the resort and a certain Jeff passing notification happened to pop up on our phone and we were.
Speaker 3: Like, do you see this.
Speaker 2: You see I'm not gonna say what the pass and notification is. I'm just gonna let the people make it inference. In an exception for themselves.
Speaker 1: There will be lots of lots of cheering.
Speaker 3: I would be down for Cancun in October.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, aside from that, I don't think we have any ridiculous I have.
Speaker 1: Two weddings in the first fifteen days of October.
Speaker 2: Oh right, you do. We were worried about that at the start of the year. At the start because at the start of the year we were like, oh, man, that that could really intertwine with playoff baseball, and you know, are the Mariner's going to be playing? Are they gonna have an off day? What time is the game going to be at? Well, it's look a little different now.
Speaker 1: I was like, I was sweating it more earlier in the season, in like May, when I'm planning this stuff up, I'm like, man, like I might have like a wedding during the wild card slash Alds and the Alcus potentially is like, oh my god, what are we gonna do if I'm like, I can't be away. But I'm also like I'm in these weddings, so I can't, like I can't or I'm in the especially the later one.
Speaker 2: I'm in the later one. Yeah, the later one that you have to travel for. You're in the other one. I mean you're just there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the other one. I could sit in the back and watch on my phone if I wanted to. So, but I was like, oh, what am I gonna do? And now it's like, I'm good? Yeah, probably almost certainly, I'm good.
Speaker 2: I mean my October is pretty empty right now because because we weren't planning on planning anything in October because we thought we would have.
Speaker 3: A lot to do. Now, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe I will plan a trip for myself. I don't get to take many just personal vacations these days. Maybe I'll figure something out.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe Lyle will be cantcuon on three.
Speaker 3: That would be great. I sorry, let me rephrase it wouldn't be great.
Speaker 2: And TJ also wishes he was stressing about having to manage weddings and playoff baseball because that's what we all want.
Speaker 3: Correct, We're not getting it right now, so no.
Speaker 1: And doesn't seem like we will get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cheryl on Patreon asks do you think Griffy being on the ownership team is impacting Dan's continued tenure as manager.
Speaker 2: No, I mean Griffy's not. Griffy's not on the board. He is a very small minority stake in the team. So I don't think so. Griffy doesn't really get to make decisions as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: I also think it's no. I think I think John Stanton is a pretty big fan of Dan Wilson, I would.
Speaker 3: Guess, and probably Chris Larsen too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris Larsen too, I would assume. But no, I don't think. I don't really think Griffy is the answer to anything ownership related. Yeah, like he he gets his whatever profit share of the team at the end of every year that he's bought in, and he gets to make appearances, and he gets a parking spot in the garage and gets to hang out in the owner suite. But otherwise, like I know, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think so. I don't think so either. Now, the other part of this is, what's the second part of this question?
Speaker 1: Is there is there anyone on the current team whose contract is not expiring in twenty twenty six? Or twenty twenty seven. You think should be offered a contract like Cole Emerson or Josh Naylor.
Speaker 3: Offering an extension so to speak, or a long term.
Speaker 1: Deal, probably yeah, or I guess if they were to hit free agency, they'd get resigned. I mean the pitchers, almost everyone in the rotation. If they got a ninety if you could sign them for ninety five million dollars, I would do it. But I don't think any of those guys are taking a ninety five million dollar contract.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The priorities would be Logan Gilbert and Brian lou But those guys are going to demand more money.
Speaker 1: And I don't think Cole Young is a ninety five million dollar player yet. He's been good, but I don't I don't think so. And for him, honestly at this point, don't take like a low ball deal right now. Just keep playing, keep playing. If things work out the way he wants, by the time this new CBA has agreed upon, he could be one year closer to free agency, right so then than that de incentivizes taking an extension.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: Three more questions to go. Nick on Patreon ask asks why isn't more being made of this Dan Wilson comment from Saturday's game quote, I don't love assessing losses.
Speaker 3: What else more can we say?
Speaker 2: Like, I mean he doesn't like assessing wins either, because he doesn't elaborate on anything. Ever, I like, I don't know how much there is to really say, you know, like like, but.
Speaker 1: I also like, like, first of all, I didn't get to see the quote. I haven't seen like the clip, Like I think context does matters as opposed to Nick just leaving the quote in a question for us to like assess based on the words. I would like to actually see the clip. But also like again, like Dan kind of just says stuff like he said Dylan Moore had been really good for the team last year. Like clearly that's not right, So like maybe he doesn't actually maybe that means absolutely nothing, And that's just like what came to his brain and what he said as opposed to like what he actually does. Right, Like does that make sense you.
Speaker 2: Said it at the start of this episode. He takes a few positives ignores the negatives. The one thing I'll add for context that you didn't say at the start of the episode is you got to add in some ums and your nose and pauses and then a tough one and then maybe a difficult one in a difficult day. But yeah, like he doesn't say things, so Nick maybe right that he doesn't like assessing losses. And again I haven't seen the clip either, much like TJ, but he doesn't like a s wins either.
Speaker 3: It doesn't seem to like assessing, right.
Speaker 1: I think that's I honestly think that's it right there. Yeah, yeah, yeah, wins or losses doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: It's just the same, and that's the problem, to be clear. But yeah, what are we gonna do? We're just two dumb podcasters, right.
Speaker 1: Robert on Patreon asks TJ and Lyle, you guys should use your platform to start a petition for Dorktown to do an update video on the continued futility and weirdness of this franchise. That's been five years, There's been a lot more to add, Honestly, Robert facts, a Dorktown episode on the twenty one to twenty twenty six Seattle Mariners would be so good.
Speaker 3: Oh it would.
Speaker 2: It would be a perfect, perfect, not thirty for thirty but docuseries to put out during the lockout.
Speaker 3: It would be so perfect.
Speaker 2: We could do podcast episodes all centered around that. And if you're the guys at Dorktown and you think about doing more content and you want more content, I mean, think about everything that's happened in the last six years. You you start with Kevin Mather, and then you go to the Kelnick stuff and the fifty Well I was actually going chronologically because I'm still at twenty twenty one. I guess Kellnick and Mather tie in but admitting to manipulating service time. And then Jared doesn't make the opening day roster and then he only gets six games into Cooma and then they yank him up and he clearly wasn't ready and then he's up and down, and then you go to twenty two where you have the fight and you have pizza being delivered to Jesse Winker inside the clubhouse in Anaheim, and then you've got I mean, you've got all the Julio stuff too, with him coming up and winning a Rookie of the Year, and then well they break the drought. But yeah, then you go to twenty twenty three and you get fifty four percent. You get George Kirby being like being pissed off that he got put back in a game, and you get Paul Sewald with some pretty interesting comments after he left Seattle, saying that you know, he would have been pretty furious if he had still been in Seattle when a lot of those comments went down. There was the cal comments about like a demanding more out of ownership. You get Scott getting fired and the ridiculous way that Dan got hired. Then you get twenty five when they make the Alcs run, and then not going to Andre's Munos in game seven. Look, I mean there's so much. And then you get the piggyback stuff this year, and you get the six man this year, and then you get the I mean whatever else. All I will ask is if they do a part two of Dorktown, Carry Carpenter better be in there like that at bat better be fucking in that docu series, because it was a disgrace.
Speaker 1: The epitome of the Dan Wilson tenure as Mariner's manager.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean maybe Munhos and Bizardo in Game seven even more so. But as I always say, well, the Carry Carpenter decision did not have the same magnitude as not going to Munos in Game seven. By the nuts and bolts and the numbers of decision. It's the worst decision I've ever seen, Mae in a game.
Speaker 1: Maybe they'll add your reaction to the Dorktown episode. They'll just splice it in if.
Speaker 3: They're listening John Boyce and I feel bad. I'm blanket on the.
Speaker 1: Other I think it's just John Boyce.
Speaker 2: Now, well, if you have full permission right here of the Marine Layer podcast to use every reaction we had to the kry Carbon or Homer in in the docu series.
Speaker 1: It's a bummer we've been. We tried early on to get John boys on the show unsuccessfully. We wanted to talk about Dorktown, but it was unsuccessful. Maybe we'll try and get him on again and pitch him, pitch them our idea.
Speaker 3: This was really early on.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well he tried, had his email, Yeah, no, no success. Final question on the mailbag comes from Michael on Patreon. Michael's question is if we miss the playoffs, what are each of yours your quote unquote bare minimums for what needs to happen in the off season.
Speaker 2: I don't know how most of this coaching staff is gonna survive if they miss the playoffs.
Speaker 3: In this season.
Speaker 2: Where you had expectations as high as ever in AO West, as bad as ever, an American league, as bad as ever, a team on paper that's about as good as you've ever had, and you don't even make the playoffs. I don't know how that doesn't get shaken up in the offseason. So that would be one and number two, for the love of God, get another leverage bullpen arm. You have been missing one ever since you whipped on Duran. That's where my priority lies. Get a legit reliever, Not Sir Anthony Demingez, not Caleb Ferguson, nobody like that. Get a legit reliever.
Speaker 1: So the way you're saying it is that sounds like something that will happen regardless, Like there are plenty of things I would say, regardless of if they make the postseason or not, they need to do. Leverage reliever is definitely one of them. I don't give a shit if they win the World Series or not, they need more leverage bullpen arms.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's gonna happen, regardless, they haven't done it like they whipped on Duran.
Speaker 1: And they still regardless, that should That's what I should.
Speaker 2: But we're asking bare minimum. That is my bare minimum. You better go get another leverage arm because they haven't done so. They have ever since they missed on Duran. They've been searching for that guy and haven't found it.
Speaker 1: I think they should do that, even if they win the World Series somehow this year. In my opinion, okay, yeah, that's my that's my bare minimum. Regardless, the bullpen needs more arms. Your thinking about the coaching staff as I think the bare minimum. I don't see how you could underperform like that, And I don't think how most of the coaching staff, pitching side included, survives this because it's been a group effort. You know who's been really bad the last couple of months, the pitching staff.
Speaker 2: M I don't know if the pitching staff would get overhauled. It's possible, but.
Speaker 1: But at some point, do you want a friend start?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fair, it's fair, like a get.
Speaker 1: I don't like calling for people's jobs. We never like calling for people's jobs, and I'm not trying to do that. But at some point, like eighty five wins ain't enough, like the Mariners could be getting way more out of their roster. I think than they currently are. Like, look at the two teams with the two best records in baseball, the Brewers in the race, they get everything out of their roster. Everything. Yeah, I don't think the Mariners get the most out of their roster. Fair, And I think the Mariners in this offseason, if they miss the playoffs, need to sit and answer the question on whether they think they're getting the most out of what they put on the field.
Speaker 3: Totally fair.
Speaker 2: I think that's a good answer. Well, shout out to you guys for the mailbag. Always good questions. Again, if the season keeps going the way it's going, feel free to mix in some of the fun non baseball questions too, Just to again like, these are supposed to be fun.
Speaker 3: These podcasts are supposed to be fun.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be entertaining, and obviously we want to sit here and try and entertain as best we can, so feel free to mix a bunch of those in with that. That just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer podcast. You guys know the drill. If you want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods. Make sure to download these episodes If you're listening, go rate and review five stars. If you're watching on YouTube, make sure go hit subscribe. You can check us out of our website marine layerpod dot com. You can find our episodes there, patreons there, podcast merch is there.
Speaker 3: Go get your merch.
Speaker 2: It's at marine layerpod dot com, and then find us on social media. We're posting content every day across all of our platforms at Marine layer Pod.
Speaker 3: That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 1: Sta