Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: Today's episode contains spoilers for Alien Earth episode seven Emergence be Warner. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosey Night and welcome back to ext Revision of the podcast where we dive the your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture, comedy from my Heart will bring you three episodes a week, plus news, same plus news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, we are opening the air locom walking into the very dangerous realm of Alien Half episode seven. We are going to be recapping it, and then we will be joined by Joel and Common to speculate about upcoming finale. Joel, do you want to be in for the recap too? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I can hang out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay. We are joined by super producer Joel to do our recap and then will be bringing in Common to speculate about the upcoming Binali. But first let's do it, Jason.
Speaker 2: Let's freak out time. Emergence Alien Earth episode seven slightly has dragged Arthur and the Face Hugger to his room all alone through the vent system.
Speaker 3: I just there's what I mean. They go to have bed a security. I know I'm repeating myself.
Speaker 2: I'm like I mean, it's insane that.
Speaker 3: He vent system as well that like you call, I feel like there should be a camera in the event at this point.
Speaker 2: Just to get this further out of the way. Also before we really get into it, he got Arthur there alone but then needs help getting him to the beach. He doesn't need help getting into the beach. He could have carried him shoulder to the beach by himself.
Speaker 1: Oging something from the stand like a second person.
Speaker 2: Can I get it? But he can jump one hundred feet off a canyon and land on his feet. Yeah, actually, and he dragged own deadweight man alone through the events like he can.
Speaker 3: I will say anyway, there is there is a power and consistency issue with hybrids are allowed. It does a ky in this episode.
Speaker 2: So he quite charmingly is is concerned that the face hugger is not letting Arthur breathe, so he tries to like move the legs over a little bit so there's like a little breathing hole. Of course that we know that that's not going to work. Face Hugger just kind of tightens on Arthur's.
Speaker 1: Next thing some water, and he's like, is he choking the storm?
Speaker 2: Why don't they should have looked for that.
Speaker 3: They should have had these hybrids, Like when they saw this stuff happening, they should have made them watch it. They saw how scared they were. That could have been a good way to stop them getting involved.
Speaker 2: A lad too late, it's too late for all of this. Anyway, there's a knock it Smee. Smee first forces his way in because he's like, you're in there, you're doing something. Goes in there, sees Arthur's arms sticking out under the bed, and slightly is like trying to tell Smee everything in this like burst of emotion, like my family, they're gonna murder them, and I need your help, and oh my god, I didn't mean to do it. I didn't know what was gonna happen, but they have my mom and Smee is of course too panic to process any of this what's going on. All that really cuts through is slightly telling me I need your help to get this guy to the beach. Help me, and he agrees. Meanwhile, alarms are going off, finally going off down in the lab.
Speaker 3: How did it take this long? Guy?
Speaker 1: Why now? And not before?
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, guys, I feel like you know Noah Holy. He's the kind of guy where people are like, he's got a plan, He's got a scheme, He's like laying it all out. He knows the long game. I want no Holy to one there and explain the security systems. I need to see the blueprints because I'm having issues with that.
Speaker 2: It could be that Kersh suppressed the alarms till now.
Speaker 3: I do think that generally he's he's doing some kind of shenanigans.
Speaker 2: But it'd be great to know for sure, Like what anyway, So the bugs are flying all over the place. They're spitting acid on like every thing that's metal or plastic so that they can eat it. Two guards enter after Curse overrides the doors. They like shock the bugs with the batons and they get them into containers and then it's safe for boy Genius to come down. He comes in and Borgenius sees that Toodles is melted and dead and that's six billion down the drain. Kersh tells Boy Genius, this was not an accident. It wasn't like kids messing around. This happened on purpose. Let's watch the tape. They watch the tape and it's clear that the eye will call the sheet who will will will call either the Eye or the sheep interchangeably over the course of this recap plan this, and boy Genius is like, Wow, that's so cool, that's so exciting. I want to study the eye further. Wendy comes down, sees tootles and realizes is like, wait, what happened. She gets the infuriating answer that science happened from ker crazy I would yeah. Wendy then realizes, oh, wait a second, we can die, and then realizes furthermore that nothing about what they're doing is safe. She tries to leave. The guards stand in her way for a second, and then she like whisper, whispers something or like hunger games, whistles something to her alien, and the alien bangs on the glass like hey, let go on, my mom, and boy Genius realizes that as she leaves, realizes that, oh shit, Wendy's going to go tell the rest of the Sense what happened, Like okay, let's make sure that doesn't happen. Kurse then realizes all the trackers on the Sense are off, and so now as Wendy walks out the door, no one knows where anybody is. That they're all in the wind. Wendy tells her brother what has happened that you know, Toodles is dead, Tootles slash, Isaac is dead and we're not safe, YadA YadA. Joe's like, okay, we gotta leave. We're leaving. I conspired with Arthur to turn off your trackers so we can leave. We can get out of here. And She's like, well, we got to get the rest of everybody, and Joe's like no, you fucking know, just you and me, like let's get out of here, but Wendy has her way. They go to see Nibs. Curly is there too. Curly thinks that whatever Wendy said freaked out Nibs, and Wendy's like no, because they raised.
Speaker 1: Her memory and all this other stuff.
Speaker 2: And Nibs, meanwhile, is the reboot clearly didn't work because she's adamant in a scary and ominous way that nobody is ever going to mess with her insides again. We get more Epstein Island. Wendy tells them listen, Isaac is dead, uh, and we have to leave because they're doing bad stuff here. Curly is like, how dare you talk about boy genius that way? Gilled. She's you don't understand him, and you and uh, you don't get it. When is the best place I've ever been? That's right, And so clearly Curly is going to stay. But Wendy makes her promise like don't tell boy genius, and I actually think there's a chance because clearly Curly sees this as her opportunity to be the best kid, the most favorite kid.
Speaker 3: So she might keep the secret if it means she can be the best kid. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So Wendy, I guess, feels like they need a distraction. So she hacks into the security system with her little uh finger touch and opens the xenomorph cage, which is one way I think to that abstraction. Maybe there were other ways, but this is the way that.
Speaker 1: She chose the best and easiest DI strategy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again this is no critique of Wendy. I think this is a good distraction. I am once again back to the security system. Sere the moment that you realized there were like dangerous animals in here, you should have just put two and two together, like, oh, she can literally like communicate and control. They didn't do that.
Speaker 1: So this was the authorization code. They need your something. You can't just file the doors.
Speaker 3: The robot has to say something, and then an adam has to say something.
Speaker 2: Has to be there physically, like one person in the control room and one person physically at the door before unlock. It's something like that.
Speaker 3: Same way. They shouldn't have sent poor old Isaac down there either, Like there was a terrible idea that that child.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: I think I'm beginning to realize that Kirsh played all this anyway.
Speaker 3: I think has been enjoying a lot of experimentation on boy Genius's dime.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the xenomorph gets out and immediately murks like three four cleaners in the lab and nothing is gonna stop it. Dame is sadly looking at pictures of her husband, who she thinks is still alive but merely fired from the company. When Boi g comes this here and he's so pissed. He's like, Arthur turned the synth trackers off? How long have you known about it?
Speaker 1: What do you know?
Speaker 2: You're gonna tell me you don't know anything what's going And Dame is like what who?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: What I don't know? And then it's the sound of the breech alarms going off. That finally breaks this conversation off, and boy Genius realizes, oh shit, the creatures are out. Meanwhile, Slightly, it's me here carrying Arthur in the huger to the beach when Kersh finds them and slightly immediately spills everything about Morrow, and Curseh's like, yeah, yeah, yeah, I I don't know. I know about that. I don't give a shit about that. Here's the problem, because you guys need to take the secure elevator because that's the fastest one to the Oh my god, that's.
Speaker 1: Where I saw the people come invade the island. Please go interact with them that way.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, curse.
Speaker 1: Were enough.
Speaker 4: We weren't.
Speaker 1: First of all, we were absolutely right.
Speaker 2: We were absolutely we were right from very early on that he is a plant. Yes, okay, So Wendy, NIBBs and Joe are out there in the jungle trying to get to the boat, and that's when they come to is this the official graveyard of the kids? Why did they listen? I'm glad they did this.
Speaker 3: But also why did I make it like a pet cemetery or something like this is like inevitably gonna be back.
Speaker 2: Why would you why would you do this, Why would you actually put up a graveyard? Why wouldn't you just bury him in a pit and not leave anybody? Very confusing and the people working, I think this is and Dame, and I was gonna say yeah, because author and.
Speaker 1: Kids were holding when they were on the table are placed on top of the graves. They were the ones that insisted that it's really important to make sure that the children age gradually into adulthood. I think they're the only people that we've seen have any kind of respect for like human life decency.
Speaker 3: So in this case, I guess it's weird choice, but I do think it was them.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, yeah, you're you're probably right, certainly, Arthur more than more than Damy. Let's take a quick break, and we were right back with a bit more chaos, and we're back slightly and sm have to hide from a defense patrol and when they look back home, wonderful slapstick like lially five.
Speaker 3: Seconds, I legit was screaming like this was so funny, so good has gonody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's what I thought as well, grabbed it and brought it to like the snot nest in order to and two minutes so that it could exactly, it could give birth in a controlled environment. But anyway, they look back and Arthur's gone, and the face Hugger falls dead from the tree. It has crawled off to die and Arthur. They look over there and Arthur is just standing there, not realizing anything that just happens, like what are we doing on it slightly tries to make up a bunch of stuff like there's been a decontamination and your wife is waiting for you on the beach and we can't go back to the lab because of the stuff that's going on there, so let's get out of here. It becomes clear Arthur is like no memory of the last twenty four hours, and he thanks the kids for what he thinks is like some sort of life saving intervention that they've done because of what's going on back in the lab. They are strolling to the beach and Arthur is like having these snippets of the face Hugger jumping on him and just bad stuff, and he's like, no, something wrong, there is something wrong. Yeah, can we go back and let's go back and figure out, you know, whatever you guys are trying to do. I can tell you guys are lying because you're bad at it. Let's go back and we can work this all out. Don't worry, like no one's gonna get in trouble hands.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, this is a good emotional payoff moment because Atha I felt like was a kind of a whatever character till this point in the show, like he's mostly on the sides. But they do such a good job pair of you using that dramatic irony that you understand to make you really feel complicit and like pull it through this.
Speaker 1: But they shot this entire scene is kind of brilliant, Like they shoot a lot of it chest up, so if you know, like like you know, you're like, okay, well now the chest burster comes out, and so the whole time, yeah yeah, yeah, you're like waiting for it, but you can't quite see his chest. You're like, what's going on. I thought the actual chest burster scene was filmed really well. It's not trying to feel really duplicate the original or anything. It's just as and like seeing the chessco conka first and then the thing jump out, I was like, oh.
Speaker 2: They go to the tight kind of slow blood splatter reaction on the faces, just like the original alien. So the chest burster pops and the alien slithers off into the jungle, and Slightly is like, oh my god, I gotta get the alien. It's Smee meanwhile is like an absolute I want to just say any of this.
Speaker 3: I want to shout out the actor who plays sme who is Jonathan j And I just think like this is the performance throughout every single time when I watched the episodes. I want to look after him, like he is the one who makes me believe he is a child, and he is like the lost person that I wanted to get caught up in this Slightly situation because he is just plays it so young and so scared and so realistic. And I just think for me, he is like the most believable of the kids. And I felt like this is a really strong episode for that, and it's just yeah, I want to protect.
Speaker 1: Me the horrors of being a child, you know, throughout the series, and I think really nailed it here, Like what do you think about Like I had a very like a pretty good childhood, you know, but like I it was like the worst. You have no agency, you don't know what you don't know, you don't know what to ask for it's all very confusing, and you feel this need to like be an adult and to be an independent person, and so there's not a lot of like absolutely Slightly's journey, it's so freaking Relatable's like I have to protect my family, I have to do this solo and watching like and Snee's best buddy. Like to your point, Jason, like, no, you probably didn't needs me for this, but like that emotional support of like me and I are always together, he'll help me will be then to watch that completely like fade away and then yeah, in the next scene when he he's like I did everything, I did all of it. I just I was blown away by the different levels of like slight trauma that they are able to blow up. Yeah, exactly intense monstrous moment throughout this episode. And there's a lot of critique in here, but I thought this episode was pretty strong on a lot of different things, and on that.
Speaker 3: Horror the character stuff starts to really pay off for me here. It's just I do I questioned some of the choices.
Speaker 1: That's a little just hitting.
Speaker 2: We get it. We get a scene of that's quite touching with Curly now struggling with all that Wendy has said to her and everything that's currently going on in the lab. She goes to Damon basically yeah, treats Dame as a surrey At mother figure, which breaks Dame's heart. You could see she does love it. It also breaks her heart and hopefully, yes, realize what a terrible person she is. Is she like, wake up curly, Yeah, likely.
Speaker 3: Hind of Damon off that having some kind of child who died, I was really getting those vibes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that might see never had a chance.
Speaker 3: I never had it. There's some kind of surrogate aspect here that both of them.
Speaker 1: Yes, you watch episode one. In the background of a scene when they're first introducing Wendy to the table, you can hear them very quietly talking about like, oh, should we have.
Speaker 2: Children or whatever?
Speaker 1: Uh, and she's like, these are our children now? And Carmen in the chat is saying that there's like a photo of a child on the wall, which is possible. So I do think you guys are in the right realm of like they were like maybe they had a kid and lost it. Maybe they were thinking of trying to have kids soon, And for whatever reason, Dame has been like, these are just gonna be the kids, like, this is what we can't have access to, so let's just raise these obvious and it's clear. Arthur's like, I would like a life out like off this island.
Speaker 3: Eventually, Yeah, and he was right.
Speaker 2: You me and Slightly keep going with just Arthur's corpse. Now they arrive at the beach and the Utaani Sealed Team six comes out of the water with Morrow and the lead. He is mad at Slightly for bringing sme, but realizes instantly that we've lost the alien, so we need to go look for it. Slightly is trying to make excuses and says like, listen, you didn't tell me. You told me I had two days for the gestation period and it popped like a day later. Like none of this is of course registering. Morrow then orders his forces to take the sense with him. Just capture the sins, take them with Adam is updating Boy Genius about current ongoing stuff in the facility. The xenomorphous is in the wind it it escaped through a pipe and is now running around the island. No sign of the sinse Boy Genius, meanwhile, is like, whatever, whatever, let's talk about this sheep. I love this sheep. This sheep is fucking crazy. That's why I brought it to my podcast studio. I want to talk to this sheep, and just like in my favorite movie Contact, I'm going to use maths to talk to the sheep. And he writes pie like on a notepad and is like three point one, Okay, what are the other decimals? The following decimals. The sheep starts stamping out like the next three numbers, but then makes the Shin is like that's enough. Come on, I proved I'm smart, right, fuck you? And boy Genius is like, oh my god, this is awesome. But we got to put the e into a person so I can talk to it. And he's like, oh, I know, just I know who to use, but we don't. It doesn't go any further. We just I love I want to talk about it theory corner. I love that.
Speaker 3: I love that. He was just like, I'll go make you a list people.
Speaker 4: Immediately Adam Adam is going to the boats to the boat launch and to leave. Sonys and Joe head to the boat launch and they were ambushed by the seals. Wendy is like, you guys better get the fuck out of here. Before it's too late. Uh, you better leave right now.
Speaker 2: Oh this sorry, this is before they get to boat lotch just in the jungle, and she's like, you're not gonna leave, okay, watch this, and she did. She does her little and the comes and instantly kills the seals. Nibs fucking loves it. Save this for later when we talk about why these sins should be turned off. Immediately, Joe is mad at letting at Wendy for letting the Xenomorph out, and Wendy's talking to it. She wipes some little blood off of its little eye thing whatever that kind of like space where the eye should be, and then it runs off and she's like, Joe, I told it to hide and follow us, so don't worry about stuff baby Zenomorph. Meanwhile, I think baby Xenomorph is captured. We are seem to find out is captured by Kersh. Morrow marches Sme and Slightly into the facility, where they're met by Prodigy security forces led by Kersh, and he has Moro taken into custody. Meanwhile, Wendy, Joe, and Nibs get to the dock. Joe's search and rescue team confronts them and NIBBs. NIBBs is like, we're not going back. We're never going back, and she rips off one of Joe's friend's jaw. Listen, I loved it. I love that this happened, but again, we can't have these things running around long term. Wendy calls the alien. Joe shocks Wendy down as like the alien is about to kill and she's maybe about to kill one of his search and rescue buddies. Wendy is like furious about this, what did you do? And then we get a very like unsatisfying and kind of weird, drawn out ending to the episode where everybody's having this standoff on the boat. Let's take a quick break, let's be in this recap, and then when we return, we will welcome in Carmen and we will talk about this episode.
Speaker 1: And we're back.
Speaker 2: Welcome Carmen.
Speaker 3: Hello, thanks for having How are you doing common, I'm great.
Speaker 5: I loved this episode.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's let's talk some theory corner kursh I feel like it has although it seems that he has other goals which we are unclear about, right, but I think that it's clear that you Tani had him and Morrow in a bake off for who can get the alien. Because the way Kersh is like, haha, finders keepers I won led me to believe that. I think we were right that Kirsh is a model, is like is a planted Utani can I Postmen has a beautiful theory.
Speaker 1: Karmen was texting me about it this morning and I was freaking out. Was like, this is the best.
Speaker 2: Let's hear it.
Speaker 5: While I love the idea that you Tani, Yeah, like I love the idea. We've got this corporate espionage thing going on. I think Kersh, however, it in it for himself. I think Kersh wants his own autonomy and I think I'm thinking like West World when I am thinking about that, and just just kind of he is looking at the children. He is thinking, oh sorry, no go ahead, no bed Well, I was gonna say, he's looking at the children and he's finding I think he's manipulating these scenarios in a way where he's doing things that he's finding loopholes around his programming. He can't actually kill boy Cavalier, he can't harm anyone, but he can let chaos just unleash and do for him.
Speaker 2: Essentially, get to your pointing, Oh, sorry, God, I was.
Speaker 1: Just gonna say what you what you had said, It was really interesting to me in your your text was this idea of like the show has posed, like started off with this idea of like these are since these are hybrids, and this idea we all the interactions we've had between Morrow and Kersh are sort of this back and forth of like who's more paw powerful, like you know, who's like most up to date, which I do you think sort of flows into the utania of it all, But then yeah, too, like if you bring it back into this idea of like, Okay, well now we have this new type of form and he's so insistent that the kids are not humans, and to me that really speaks to like, okay, he has he is using the tools around him to manipulate and get out and in order to find like his own his own freedom. The thing that he tells Joe in the previous episode, like that's not what your sister's gonna want to do, Like she has no use for a family, She's gonna want to go out and explore. I think he's talking about himself. And then you had also brought up we've talked so much about this idea of scorpion and power and who's getting crushed and you text me it's word of You're like curses the scorpion, and I was like, yeah, I'm here for this. I'm gon s idea.
Speaker 3: He's realizing that the next evolution, So what can he do to.
Speaker 2: Just if this is the case, how I'm kind of bored and at this point like, really, it's gonna be another the robot has Yeah, because he's here's my issue. It does track with Alien which in which you know Ash goes crazy, but he goes crazy because he's been ordered to do something that goes against his programming. So maybe there is a mirror thing here where Kersha's been because of some like like utany like base programming is being ordered to go against his master yes, and therefore it is like going to do all this stuff. I just hope it's not one of these like because why we've talked about how inconsistent like the programming, the security, all the things out on the tech are and this is would be too Diosex machinough for me, that boy genius who is a genius. We have to accept this or like why do we even give a shit would have a synth that could just decide one day that it doesn't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, this guy this true, that would fit in if as. One of the most popular theories that I'm currently seeing is that boy Genius is also a sin.
Speaker 2: I don't buy it, and why are we experimenting? Yeah, why are we experimenting?
Speaker 3: Then doesn't know? That's the generalized theory is that he thinks he's human.
Speaker 5: And I buy into that theory, you know myself, Like I that is something that I have been analyzing and like, oh, I can totally see him being a puppet and Adam I and being the actual puppeteer. But for me, I need that ie to I need his skull to get fucked by that eye.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you, guys can't have let's talk about that because a obviously we all want to see that in the finale of But I have realized from this episode because I'll tell you an ongoing issue I have had in this series that I think is the issue other people have had too, is I don't know if the character of Hermit slash Joe has any juice, Like I don't think he has the juice to help her stop something. I don't think he has the juice to inspire her to do something. I think it was an in character that maybe doesn't work, but I do predict that I think boy genius wants to put the eye in Joe. I think because he wants white guy who is like who looks like him, who acts like him, to be the person who is as smart as him. And I think that Joe. I think that I may kill Joe. That would be bleak, I would like it, or as Beg is hoping it will go into Joe, it goes into Beg.
Speaker 2: I so well, wait, hold on, I want to say that, yeah, Joe on Joe. I agree, Joe is is a little juiceless. Although I was because I was wondering about this. I do think that Joe exists as the stand in for the audience to uh, as a tool for the audience to realize that this is not his, this is not a human, this is not a person. Is because his constant like, oh, we got to do this, and you know, you and me, and we got to get out of here, and I'm taking care of my sister. No, your sister is much more capable. First, of all, this entity is much more capable than you, and it is not your sister. So I think that is ultimately the reason Joe exists in this story is for him and us to come to a point where we realize that these are.
Speaker 3: Not humans and these are choice the character.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, we talked about this a little bit last week, that it just falls a little bit black.
Speaker 2: I like it might work more.
Speaker 1: If he was also pushing his sister to see that she's not a real human. And I feel like that's sort of lacking in within Wendy, like us not knowing like what she's communicating or like how she's like. We just don't kind of spend enough time with either of them to either get the fracturing and separation of them, or does he like where are they still together? Because I think it's much more interesting if Wendy is not that obviously the child that came in, but there's still parts of her there. And I don't think we have a very clear indication of like how much is robot, how much is coated person who died? Okay, yeah, I have a theory about this. Eye here we go. You guys, remember when we were really obsessed with, Uh, what are they doing with this guy just smoking these walls? He calls from like a janitor or somebody who's like hyper replaceable, And I said, like yeah, and just from a creep factor, like the costuming of the mold guy is like creaky always. It's like bulky. It's got like a pretty like standout silhouette where you would notice it in a dark kind of shadowy space and if you put that like Medie Moody eye in it. I just think from a character design perspective, it looks really cool. And you know, we only have one episode left, like I don't know, and then we're sad or whatever. Screw that. Just show me another cool creature that goes out in control and that's what I like. Boys, Cavalier's own humans kills him and we can move on at this point.
Speaker 5: Oh sorry, there's one more creature. Oh there's no more teature that we haven't seen an action yet, and that's that weird plant like creature.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I really hope they're saving him to the finale. Something's really cool and creepy. Yeah, he'd be slithering all around. Yeah, I think at this point, you know, we were touching on it a little bit earlier we said a lot of people would need to die in this episode, which we were correct. We were too close to the end. We have to do a big quelling and we got that. I think for the ending we need fireworks so everybody's on the island, their house together. The lines have been drawn. I do think we need a U Tanni drop in to either clarify she's been running both sides, and or to be like the period at the end of this sentence, to be like, Okay, it's prodigy is burned down. You Tani is taking us over. We got our guys back. What wait are you guys hoping as we step into the finale to see what questions do you need answered?
Speaker 2: Most?
Speaker 3: Yes, That's why I was gonna say, Jason, what do you feel like is your biggest Like? How could what what would happen that would make a finale so good it makes the rest of the season better. That's what I'm interested in because we saw we saw reviews for this whole season from critics who had had the whole season, and they were saying nine out of ten, they were saying, this is similar to and or level. I need to know what happens.
Speaker 2: Level and I don't think anything could happen and nothing could happen in the finale that would lift a hand or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I thought I had that potential in the first two episodes, but.
Speaker 2: It did maybe yea out there are I mean there are Listen, this is a great show. There are various cacing problems throughout that keep it from being like illegally elite. That said, I think we would need to I would need to see something that would make me understand how we could have a season two. I think that's those the because at this point, I'm like, how could we have a season? It does?
Speaker 3: I feel like it's going to be a closed loop at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, how would it be possible to have one? And you know, it has been kind of dropping hints about how it could happen, how it could work. So I guess I would need to see. I guess I would need to see how, yeah, how that could happen. I would need to I would need answers about like Whomorrow is working for, who Kersh is working for, what Kirsh's motivations are, and how it is that the earth that exists after this is not like just lousy with various aliens running around to and fro, like how did they stop this?
Speaker 3: That's what I would know, That's.
Speaker 2: What I need.
Speaker 3: I would like a zoom out. I would like a zoom out to see how this is going to impact the world, How this is going to impact Prodigy, how this is going to impact these corporations that we know now are kind of shaping the world. And I will say that was a big change, you know, for a lot of like deep Alien readers who had read a lot of the comics or I'd read a lot of the books. This was a of the corporations that we know who were currently active at the time. So I want them to deliver on that because I'm all for changing or shifting Cannon, but I always wanted to add something new. So I want to kind of know, like Jason, where we are, where we stand at the end, and then that will tell me whether or not I'm really hyped for a second season.
Speaker 1: Carmen, what do you need?
Speaker 2: Finally, I have us.
Speaker 5: I think I have simpler needs.
Speaker 3: I would love for a lot.
Speaker 5: Of these loops to be closed on, especially I remember in the first three episodes of the season, I was really obsessed with that mold scrubber and just like what was going on.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, why were they showing him so much?
Speaker 5: I felt like he was heavily featured in the first few episodes and then not later on. I am glad that now those powers that Wendy had early on in the season are starting to come back into play.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: But I just need to know, like, yeah, like, is that I.
Speaker 3: Gonna get boy genius?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Enough Eye, Yeah, there has really not been enough.
Speaker 3: I have definitely been the breakout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love him. I've been calling her, uh in addition to iOpus Dolly because Dolly is the first sheep that got called and I just feel like it's appropriate. Uh So this is our Eye, Dolly, our octopus iOpus. I really yeah, I would I need it. Seems like the Eye has been scheming as well, and I need all of the schemes to come together. Yes we have heard that question, Yes we The question that kept coming up throughout this episode is what have you done? And this lack of like communication and understanding, there's like a lot of betrayals in here.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: I would like to see some aliens working together. I would like to see y'all like teaming up because it's clear they're so all in communication and all have the same goals. I think they're all from the same planet. Yes, do you think they're from the Predator planet? The more I think about out it. Carmen and I were also texting about some of those traits of Predator showing up in the fly Alien definitely, and so I I think, you know, we know predators like to breed xenomorphs and have their kids hunt them as like training exercises.
Speaker 3: And also the movie is coming out so soon Predator exactly.
Speaker 1: It feels like it was with a Utah exactly, and so so I would really like to see like both like how are these creatures working together and why do they have like what's their end goal? Because it can't just I mean maybe it is just escape, But is that like let's get on a ship and get out of here? Does that take over the plane?
Speaker 3: Aliens?
Speaker 1: And then I need me to get to safety. Someone protects my son, my sweet don't kill prepared.
Speaker 3: I would also say for me, and this is going to be this is less what I want to see. This is what I think is going to happen because I understand how they telegraph these things because I watch a lot of shows and movies that use these tropes, and I do love them. Look, am I somebody who loves Terminator too? And I love a child sidekick? Yes?
Speaker 1: Do.
Speaker 3: I often enjoy the parts of shows like this where people where, you know, like they think it's like an arm pumping moment and everyone's rolling their eyes, but I'm pumping my arm. Yes, I do believe at some point in that serial, like in the finale, they are going to have a moment with Wendy like running alongside the Xenomorph like they are a team, and Alien fans around the world they're gonna hate it, and depending on how they do it, I'm probably gonna love it. But I'm interested. I feel like that is inevitable, and I feel like from the critiques I've been seeing of the show, I don't think that's gonna enamor anyone more.
Speaker 2: I will hate it. I would that all the way. I think the reason that I mean, listen, the story of Alien is always that you think you can control nature and you can't exactly, and it would so it would be a weirdly discordant note for me if it was like, actually, we can make them pets, but this is the next mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, can I can? I can I pod? In theory, though, these are two uncontrollable forces of nature and she is not trying to control, simply to communicate with, and if they see each other as being on the same side, that's somewhat interesting to me. I agree that if it's like this is my pet, and I like use it like a Pokemon or like go gos, you know more than I'm like.
Speaker 2: Far been using it as a fucking Pokemon.
Speaker 1: Which honestly I'm sure like Sniper friend like, she's just like, okay, we're like six Clicks of the South. Can you just take these guys out?
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, the idea, I do think the idea that like we have that you know, these scientists have like unwittingly created or engaged with, like two super predators, one that they created and one that they got on another planet. Yeah, which leads me further to even feel more strongly that all these syths needs to be shut off immediately. JA got them down, kids, You've been bamboozled into believing their names. Just tore a guy's fucking jaw because I hate that guy, But so you think that she's not going to tear anybody else's jaw off the people.
Speaker 1: I think people people and people people at people.
Speaker 2: That is it is listen. If they are to be if they are to know, if they are to be allowed to continue to exist, they must be nerved. We cannot have these child like ais that are capable of tearing off people's limbs. Children should not have mentally balanced and can also like hack into every computer and talk to aliens like we we just like, can we at least give them like human level strength and abilities.
Speaker 3: Before we're like, yeah, let run around. Yes, I think that that is sensible. I will also say, I my other gut feeling is that a good emotional arc for Wendy and his animal would be if the xenomorph killed Joe, like because that is a reality. Like, I don't think kill him, kill him.
Speaker 2: I did almost kill him.
Speaker 3: She has to and now it's just seen him shot her right like now he I think that she has to realize there is a human cost that she can't comprehend having, and I think it should be Joe. Sorry, Alex Lotha, I love it.
Speaker 2: It's got to be Joe I also agree that it should be Joe, that it should like incapacitate him and try to drag him to the eggs.
Speaker 1: I think I think most interesting is if Wendy takes out Joe.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting thing.
Speaker 1: Left about their relationship. It's like we're we're not on the same page. You willfully took out Nibs, which to her is like, that's my younger sibling, like I ushered her into this space. That's nuts. You're not listening to me. You don't hear me. I identify more with the alien creature. I'm telling you, if they team up, that can work, so long as she turns into one of them and she's fully on their side and she's like, no, Joe, you gotta go. That to me makes Any twenty much more interesting and it gives us a good jumping off point for season two.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the I just I'm interested in what an alien's motivation besides like reproduce is yes, and I think that's also a dangerous thing for this. I agree if they do.
Speaker 3: This is the thing I think that you. I think this is as we were talking about all of this, and we are talking about you know, the sense and hybrids, and we've had so much fun covering the show, and early on I really thought it was a contender for Show of the year. First two episodes I just thought was so fantastic. But I will say I think all critique of where we are at and where the show is is fair because this isn't just a spin off of a thing or a you know, a reboot of a thing. It is also like nowadays, we are adding law, we are adding context, we are adding you know, retroactive history. And one thing I will say that most other shows that do this do not have to contend with is like hr Geiger's xenomorph as it exists in the first Alien movie. You know, with that Ridley Scott perceived and the way that the two of them worked together, it was so unknowable and terrifying that that is why Alien is good. And I think that as much as I love the broadening and I love this, I do think like to have Wendy able to control like a Pokemon, it could it takes away some of the fear.
Speaker 2: I agree, I completely agree. I hope that, I really hope that what happens at the end of this is that it doesn't she loses quote unquote control of it if she ever had it, Because I do think that ultimately the alien exists to implant its eggs in mammals, and it wants to do that, and it's not going to do that the planet. Yeah, and I think and I think the other you know, Listen, the lesson that humans are going to take away from this entire debacle is that we almost did it. We almost figured out way to way to control them, right, a couple of tweaks, a couple of tweaks in the algorithm, or a couple of tweaks to the synth hybrid algorithm. We're just firmer controls where it doesn't, has less free will, right, and is more clear about how it's how it's communicating with the alien, so we can learn how to do it.
Speaker 1: And we can do it.
Speaker 2: Like, well, that can't be the takeaway.
Speaker 3: I have to say. I kind of think that maybe the best finale actually is like the Hubris of Whale and Utani as a corporation or something. You see them at the end basically just being like, we've got the next step in human evolution and it's this, and we're gonna send a ship in to get it and blah blah blah and kind of it is. And then you know, you do a zoom away of the island and it's just all the dead bodies being fucking like pulled off the island like that hubris of humanity. Because, like Jason, I think you summed it up so well. The only thing that anyone's gonna take from this is we almost did it. And that is actually a pretty powerful message of the show, is like, yeah, you got to go on all these adventures, but guess what, these motherfuckers are dead, and it's just gonna continue to be a cycle of Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean there's so many there's so many animals on this island, Like this place is going to be full of aliens like three days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be crazy. You know what. I'm not gonna lie that. Jason was cracking when you mentioned this a minute ago. Was thinking about one of my favorite recent tweets where you were kind of talking about the pokemon of it all. I think a lot about it was it was like a tweet somebody did that was like the Jurassic World movies are so funny to me because it's just about white people who think they could make dinosaurs their pets, you know, and everyone like Chris Chris Prat's just going around like put giving it the hand and the rat. And I think that there is something kind of funny and subversive if the show is playing on those tropes and kind of reveals in the finale that that even if you are a hybrid, you we saw it killed it killed Isaac, like they killed my boy. They killed them. No problem food.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's no food.
Speaker 3: That's their food, Like, that's not they You spent six billion dollars on it, but for them, it's like a fry up at the local cafe, like two pounds. They don't care. Like so I think from this conversation, I would be very in trusted to see how they play with maybe our expectations of what we think we're gonna get and what they actually do, and kind of whether or not that Hubris is going to be at the heart of it, because I think that's very could be very fun and Wendy.
Speaker 2: I think it's the Hubris of Wendy. I'm waiting to see if that, uh, if anything pays off of that, because I think I'm saying a little overly familiar, like yeah, I've got this, I've got this alien on lock like he follows me.
Speaker 1: She's like I know everything, Like yeah, exactly, I'm the oldest, Like I feel like it's really accurate. Okay, wait, guys, if there is a winner, if we if we get to the end of episode eight and there is a conclusive, I need it to be the Eye.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I know.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say this.
Speaker 5: I'm rooting for the kids. I know that that's the unpower sweet.
Speaker 3: I also love a good kid.
Speaker 1: Because we know a season two is coming, I'm rooting for kersh to him, just because I've been really enjoying his journey.
Speaker 2: I will see.
Speaker 1: It's a little too in the background for me. I wish that they had beefed up.
Speaker 3: I agree, he's a bit too.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's a little too trophy, But I thought we were like the evil villain speech when he like, you have a whole army at your back, you're finding fronting your enemy, and it felt good like it, But then that was like is that it like where it was incompletely?
Speaker 2: It was a little weird too, for like all the security guys to just be like, Okay, we're following Kersh to do what's.
Speaker 1: Just to understand this should have been the reveal of like, this just cursed. This is what he'd been doing in the background the whole time here and then tomorrow to be our winner in the next season.
Speaker 2: Here is my hope, and I hope that the Eye gets into Boy Genius. It convinces Adam and Kersh to keep working hard.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: It's gonna wear sunglasses or some thankful all the time now, and it's going to just because obviously, I think it would be a fucking disaster for the stock price if it was revealed that Boy Genius was either synse or that Adam was pulling strings or like any of these things don't really work for me because it's like, how do you have a company after this? I think what they will I think what the workaround will be. Okay, the Eye is now our CEO, and we'll just like let that.
Speaker 6: I think honestly, and that, honestly would actually be a pretty deep sting podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, start wearing that's what we'll know.
Speaker 3: We'll be like everyone is like it would be really funny because Jason's just like really happy they got into the pan analogy. But now the Eye is just like doing super super super super fucked up and just like, well, thank god he's not reading Pea Pan anymore, like he's talking about famous eyes throughout history. But yeah, I would I mean I would love that because it would be a pretty deep statement on what CEOs are willing to put up with from execs to keep things going. So yeah, I would love to see that. Well, so we should make an extra vision I T shirt. I feel like we've been supporting that eye for the whole time.
Speaker 2: Listen, the eye has been through hell and I just love the Eye to get out of that little container. YEA, all right, extra vision, We're heading back to school as we cover the first whole episodes of the next season of jen V and the new Jordan Peele produce sports horror movie Him. That's it for this episode. Extra thanks for joining us, guys. Hey x ray Vision is hosted by Jason sept Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Korfman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abu Safar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay wack A.
Speaker 2: Theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi Are Discord moderator