Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amrie Hordert. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app. We begin the South with stocks and bonds holding steady. Patrick Armstrong of Plurimi Wealth Writing, I expect thirty year bond yards to continue to move higher on terrible debt dynamics until it forces more prudent government spending. Patrick joins us now for more. Patrick, good morning, good to see you. Are you not buying the stability of the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: No. I think Beside actually had a bit of a knee jerk reaction, and the correct call would have been something more prudent about where the government was going to get with fiscal sustainability, rather than trying to manipulate yields, which is a very short term measure, and it's something he can't follow through on. Unfortunately, it's something that the Fed could do, but the Treasury won't have enough power to control the thirty year yield. Treasury Secretary should say market forces drive thirty year. He controls the two year.
Speaker 2: Patrick So that point, what do you think has spooked the Treasury secretary? He's got more experience in financial markets than many of us. He understands these dynamics. He also understands that relatively speaking, the thirty year piece of the yield CUB is not as important either to the Treasury or to the economy. What do you think has prompted this move?
Speaker 3: It's hard to understand it, actually, just because it is a very knee jerk reaction for someone who's supposed to be the steady hand, thoughtful secretary, and it is surprising. I think it's probably backfired. It's probably going to push him to do more to follow through. And anytime you try to control thirty year yield, it's always going to be the market that wins. Unless you're the FED that has the unlimited balance sheet, you can't do that as the Treasury secretary.
Speaker 1: Well, this also isn't just a US issue, Patrick, And I'm curious, how much do you think that the US has control at a time where long term yields around the world are rising to multi decade highs.
Speaker 3: I think it's the market forces acknowledging but still not enough. The populist policies, the protectionist policies, nationalistic policies, trade wars, wars, environmental volatility creating supply shocks. All that's unequivocally inflation area, and the market's still far too complacent. Over the next ten years, two point two percent inflation is the break even. Over the next thirty years, you've got two point three percent break even. And there's so many forces that governments. Populist governments won't consider austerity, they won't consider tax increases, so a debasement strategy becomes the corner solution.
Speaker 1: Why has the why have these fears not undermined some of the risk appetite that we've seen so far this year, Well, they.
Speaker 3: Have been relatively contained. The thirty year yields moving higher, it's not spiking higher. You still have the FED that I think is going to be on hold for this year, so you're still getting a lot of liquidity at the front end of the curve and speculative activities driven by phenomenal earnings growth. Equities are delivering incredible top line growth, improving profit margins, and earnings growth continues to be consensus estimates, driven primarily by the hyperscaler spend and all the companies that are servicing those hyperscalers.
Speaker 2: Patrick, you said the devicement trides back. There's many different flavors. You can sell the dollar, you can buy gold, bitcoins at a massive week is the equity story. Part of the deviasement trade is not a place to be.
Speaker 3: That's a reasonable place. I prefer to bitcoin or to gold. I much prefer gold miners to gold itself, because if gold spikes higher on debasement, the gold miners are already so profitable, and that profitability just spikes higher with gold prices. And there's also scenarios where gold does nothing, but the gold miners are very profitable. Equities are a nominal earnings glows story as well. So if you do get inflation, you may have higher yields that discount multiples, but nominal earnings equities do give you that as well. So I do think equities are a good place to be if it is a debasement trade.
Speaker 1: Patrick John was talking about how dramatic this year has felt, even though we really haven't seen necessarily the drama come through in either volatility metrics or in any kind of risk off moment that is significant. Do you expect that to change or is this the new normal for you? Even with the underlying fears of this debasement, of this overhang of fiscal imprudence.
Speaker 3: It will come to a point if the fiscal situation does keep deteriorating and paying back tariff revenues, not increasing the tax space really and huge spending on wars, it isn't sustainable, and the bond vigilantes get more and more powerful every day that the fiscal situation deteriorates, and there will come a very important moment where yields do put pressure on the whole economy, on the whole equity market as well, because multiples come down as yields go higher, and there's so much borrowing now. The hyperscalers used to produce so much cash, they used to be net cash positive, and now they're borrowing issuing equities, So there is a huge amount of debt isshuents from companies Corporate America as well as the fiscal side of things of the government. It's very difficult. It's an elastic on a brick, but that elastic keeps getting pulled further every day.
Speaker 2: Stay with us Multilomberg surveillance coming up after this pressure building on French share cabin watch as he gives up for his debut keynote. Speak to jenckson Hole next week with markets seeking policy clarity, Money Brooks of TV Securities writing, I don't think a one hundred and eighty shift on forward guidance. Some investors maybe expecting a shift due to recent messaging, but he could disappoint markets if he doesn't tell us enough. Molly joins us now for more money. Good morning, it's going to say thanks for thin kit. What are the questions that you think this fetchen needs to answer a week today.
Speaker 4: I think that the best thing that he can do is to give some type of reaction function here. Obviously, the I guess likelihood of giving actual forward guidance going forward seems unlikely at this point, but giving some type of reaction function would be very helpful to markets. I think that it would be taken well, But in terms of Jackson Hole, we do think that there is somewhat of an asymmetric risk. It's most likely going to be disappointing to markets if he doesn't come out with enough information here, whereas there's not that much to gain in terms of if you does give us some clarity on a reaction function, just because we don't think he's going to give us quite enough there.
Speaker 2: If it's limited in communication, is that a reason to sound the long end? That was the story the news conference a few wednesdays ago, is that the story for next Friday.
Speaker 4: I think that there will be some concerns around the long end, but the recent backup in the long end over the last month or two was actually driven more on term premium and growth expectations rather than the inflation credibility that had been driving it posts June, f O, and C. So I think that some of the backup is not actually due to the FED here. It's actually due to external factors such as AI issuance. But montary policy uncertainty certainly feeds into higher term premium, so it's certainly not helping. But I don't think the entire story here is the FED for the long end.
Speaker 1: John asked the question earlier, and I think it's a really important question. What did Scott vest and see that made him want to take action now this week when it came to thirty year yields.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was very unusual just in terms of it being, you know, two weeks after the refunding, we got the tentative buyback schedule two weeks ago, and then two weeks later, we're not that much higher in the thirty year and we decide to, you know, surprise markets in terms of issuing this spyback. It might just be a bit of a kind of way to surprise markets and to kind of send that message out there. In the refunding, they did change the language in terms of instead of increasing auction sizes, are increasing the treasury composition. They did change it to changes. So that did signal that they are maybe willing to cut long and supply. But this kind of sends more of a signal to markets, I think, and that's why we see that reaction.
Speaker 1: How difficult is it to have a rates forecast when there are a lot of different actors that have a lot of different desires and a lot of different tools that they're using to try to maybe target specific levels or specific paces of a sell off for some sort of rally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's definitely a lot of different factors at this point that we're that we're looking at. In terms of uncertainty, it's definitely increasing. We do see as monetary policy and certainty and market uncertainty increases, we see increasing volatility in markets. And because of that, it also makes it more and less likely to be you know, having these large moves. So even if you have a forecast it's you know, maybe twenty thirty basis points from where we are today. I don't think anyone really thinks that's that out of touch at this point, just given that we can move you know, ten basis points on the long end of the day.
Speaker 2: Stay with us mult Bloomberg surveillance coming up off to this. Judy bial of Cain Andison Roundnick writes in the match up in interest rates is a headwind to the economy, particularly an economy building gowns some critical infrastructure. Judy joined just now for more Judy framing ready matches and welcome to the program. You could easily frame this as a reflection of strength nousewhere equally as you have done, you can frame this as a potential headwind to future growth and returns in markets. Are we much closer to one ano the other now?
Speaker 5: I do think that for me, you know, the concern that a lot of markets have is that we're overbuilding and that this is a bubble. And I think that what's kind of nice if you have a perverse perspective like I do, is that we've created a lot of friction that kind of slows the ability for the bubble to really get out of control. It still can, there's it's got lots of potential given the level of capex, but I do think that the level of interest rates acts as a moderating force. I think the public protest over data centers is also its own kind of form of you know, modulator on the expansive growth. But I think that the economy, unfortunately on the stock market specifically, is quite dependent on further growth from here. And so while I think that economically it's probably going to push a little bit of the expansive growth, I do worry a little bit of what that means for the stock market.
Speaker 2: Jinny, you think it begins to way then on the AI trade, that's been building up in a big way in what part of the AI trade.
Speaker 5: More specifically, I think that for now people feel really confident. I think that in the very near term, when we look at the semiconductor earnings reports, they're really quite strong, and for the most part, I think people think, Okay, for the rest of the year, probably everything is fine, everything can kind of get done. I think is in twenty twenty seven that people start to have questions, Okay, this level of growth that we've had in capex, it's really hard to beat it. You know, it's the law of large numbers, and that's kind of where we are in the Capex cycle. So I think that there's concern that the being able to hold that momentum is hard. I think for us, when we're thinking about all of this AI investment, why not look to the beneficiaries of the ones actually using the software, using the technology to make their businesses stronger. And the reason why is I still worry. I don't think it's totally true, but I still worry. What if artificial intelligence is like airlines, where we as consumers really benefit from the CAPEX investment, but it takes the airlines and the aircraft manufacturers decades to really make a great return, Julie.
Speaker 1: In some ways, isn't this what we're seeing with a twenty percent return in small caps so far this year that investors have been looking to the adopters rather than just investing in the hyperscalers and the other tech giants themselves.
Speaker 5: I think when you look at the Russell, for the most part, the early gains that we saw were in the picks and shovels in terms of the semiconductor companies and then the industrials that are anything that touches electrical or grid. Those stocks have really rallied. A lot of them have just doubled, and they're at multiples they haven't seen before. Now those have gotten taken out of the index. It makes the index really have to stand on its own two feet. But if I think about smaller businesses and I think about the Russell versus the SMP, the Russell has a much higher labor component than the SMP does, and so you would think that there are more businesses you can find there where the ability to automate is actually going to drive more earning's growth than the potential you would see in large cap.
Speaker 1: Julia Ford moving away from some of the really rapid growth in tech names. Does it start to make sense to invest more in the debt side of things, for you're clipping a coupon that's significant at this point, rather than the equity that's already levered to pretty fast growth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean to me, that starts to make sense, right. I think it was so easy being an equity investor when interest rates were at zero percent. It's like, wow, I can really easily compete with that. It's harder now as an equity investor when a lot of these fixed income credits, you know some what are you are safer than US Treasury, Which that's a much longer discussion I don't want to really get into, but I can, you know, I can really understand it. It makes a lot of sense. I think the question is how crowded does that debt become? How easy is it to sell it if there is any kind of a hiccup? I think you really want to be able to find a certain amount of balance. But to me, it does make the equity have to work that much harder to compete against what are some really juicy yields in in fixed income.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and as always, on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app.