Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning. This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a slightly longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today I am delighted to welcome Simone stoles Off to Before Breakfast. Simone is the author of The Good Enough Job and also the author of the brand new book How Not to Know the value of uncertainty in a world that demands answers. So Simone, welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm a journalist and an author. I wasn't always this profession that I had sort of a meandering career. In college, I studied poetry and economics, and so maybe you can already see the tension between the pursuit of art and the pursuit of commerce. But I like to think of my as taking big swings at big questions, and so my first book, The Good Enough Job, was about how work has come to be so central to our identities, and in the release and afterwards, I kept hearing questions from listeners and readers about how they should think about their career and the face of about the uncertainty in the world and their careers and their lives. And so my second book, How To Not Know, is sort of response to that. It's an attempt to help you get better at dealing with uncertainty, and God knows we all need that right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say, I mean, is life more uncertain now or are we just more aware of various aspects of the uncertainty.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of both. And so there's been some really good research that has come out. There's this project called the Economic Policy Uncertainty Index that has tracked global uncertainty over time, and since the study began in the eighties, the five highest measurements of uncertainty have all occurred in the last five years. So you think about things like the COVID pandemic, the Warren Ukraine, Iran tariff policy. We live in an incredibly uncertain world. Now. If you were talking to someone who lived in Floorince during the bubonic plague, they might think, Okay, maybe it's not that uncertain But I think the biggest thing that's changed recently is that our tolerance for uncertainty has declined, and so with the rise of the Internet and mobile phones, it's done two things. One is, it's created the expectation that answers should be readily available, and so whereas maybe five years ago I might have been fine not knowing the name of a given actor, now I feel this almost involuntary need to reach for my phone. And the second thing that's done is it's taken all of the world's crises, all of the uncertainty that might exist out there, and flattened it, and it brought it right to our doorstep. And so the world is incredibly uncertain, our tolerance for uncertainty is in decline, and that leaves us so much of the anxiety and fear that so many people are feeling today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true about you know, be out at dinner with people and somebody asked the question, what was that guy who was in this? And you know, you're all pulling out your phones to check its, like, well, none of us actually needed to know that. We could have continued our life and this dinner without that. But you mentioned that we're less tolerant of uncertainty, then why is it important for us to be tolerant of uncertainty?
Speaker 2: At the most basic level, the world is uncertain, especially when you think about anything that happens in the future, and so if you are intolerant of uncertainty, individuals tend to be less creative, for example, because when they hit a moment of discomfort or ambiguity, they tend to go for the safest option, which isn't always the optimal choice. Communities tend to be more cohesive and collaborative in the face of higher levels of uncertainty tolerance, because they're able to collaborate across differences, whereas if you're intolerant of uncertainty, you might not want to speak to your neighbor, or speak to a stranger, or speak to someone who voted for someone differently than you. And as a society at large, when we're intolerant of uncertainty, we tend to not be very resilient or adaptive. Part of what it means to live in the modern world is to be able to face uncertainty and continue to make decisions, continue to persist, and if we're intolerant, then we continue to close our minds and not open our minds to the possibilities that might be sitting on the other side of what we don't know.
Speaker 1: So here's something I don't know, Simone is what the wait times will be at Newark Airport, where I am trying to go in the next few days. We're in a period of time this will air later, but when there's a lot of uncertainty about TSA staffing and things like that. So I find myself scrolling around online a lot trying to find anybody who claims to know anything about the new airport wait times. Why am I doing that?
Speaker 2: I think it's an attempt to find control in that situation that you might not necessarily have very much control. So in the book, I talk about three different traps that we often fall into. The first is comfort, our desire to stay comfortable, which keeps us from exploring things outside of our comfort zone. The second is hubris, our tendency to think that we know best, which keeps us from admitting what we don't know. And the last trap that I talk about is control, our desire to plan to know exactly what the future will hold, even when we sometimes cannot. And so I think in the situation like this with the New York airport, certainly it's good to do some research to figure out if there's estimated wait times, if maybe your airline can send you an estimate. But there comes a point in any sort of decision making process where gathering more information has diminishing returns. I'm thinking specifically about one moment in my life where I was deciding between two job offers, and I spoke to everyone I could about it, my uber driver, my yoga teacher. I was like insufferable as a friend and as a partner, and I realized I was trying to control a situation that I fundamentally could not. I wanted to know what was the right job for me in the same way that you might want to know exactly what time you should arrive at work. And so I think for someone in your situation, the most important thing is to separate what you can and you can't control. You can control for things like your method of getting to the airport, trying to arrive with as much time as possible, but there is a level of uncertainty that is inherent in flying or making any sort of decision like that, And I would say, to not opt on the full end of the conservative spectrum and arrive six hours for your flight, and then not opt for the sort of wishful thinking line of the spectrum where you arrive forty five minutes before your flight and think everything is going to be fine. So gather information that you can plan, fritage different contingencies, and then ultimately you have to be comfortable with not knowing.
Speaker 1: So I think that thing about trying to exert control over things that also plays out in people maybe sometimes sense that they are doing something by doing all this additional research or reading, as it might be, clickbaity articles on anything that is increasing their anxiety level. Does that sort of keep us from maybe focusing on the things that we can control. I mean, I think of all the people who are reading some ragey article online and thinking that that is activism as opposed to actually doing something that has any effect on the topic that they are reading about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, A line that I like to think about a lot is that action absorbs anxiety. And often when we're gathering more information, it can be useful to a point, but beyond that point, it often just fuels our anxiety. That's why we live in this information age, and yet access to more information has not necessarily made us any wiser or less anxious. You can pour gasoline on the fire of your anxiety by continuing to research, by continuing to click through articles. I'm a new parent and I think about this all the time. In relation to parenting. You can read endless things about anything on the internet about what might be happening with your kid. But at a certain point that is getting in the way of you actually being present with your kid and being able to be responsive in the moment.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Well, We're going to take a quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Simoni Stolelof. Well, I am back talking with Simonie Stolesov, who is the author of the brand new book How Not to Know the Value of Uncertainty in a world that demands answers. So you say that we should you increase our tolerance for uncertainty. And if somebody's listening to this, it's like, Okay, I want the equivalent of exercises I can do, like at the gym, to make myself more tolerant of uncertainty. What would you suggest that they do?
Speaker 2: The first thing I always say is to find your anchors, so research shows, and when we are certain about some aspects of our life, it makes it easier to hold uncertainty in others. I think about this in relation to time management all the time. If you know, for example, that you're going to exercise at a certain moment in the day, or if you have a bed time at a certain time, it'll make it easier to hold some of the more amorphous and certainty throughout your day. So for you, your anchors might be something like your values, or where you know you want to live, or who you know you want to be with, or where you want to spend your time. Those anchors can be the boulders amidst all the changing winds around you. The second thing I'd say is to try to separate what you can and can't control. That's what we were talking about earlier. There is this great prayer that you may have heard of before, called the serenity prayer, and it's very popular in recovery communities. But it basically says, God, grant me the serenity to separate what I can and I can't control, and to know the difference. So often when we're dealing with uncertainty, we spend lots of energy and effort on things that we fundamentally can't control, So how can you divert that energy towards things that you can? And the third is I'd say choose curiosity over fear. I think part of the problem uncertainty is so uncomfortable for us is that we have a natural tendency to catastrophize, to think about all the things that could go wrong, to worry about arriving to the airport and there being a five hour TSA line and you missing your flight. But I think it's also important to think about what might go right, so to frame the possibility as opposed to just the threat of uncertainty. Certainly, every scientific breakthrough or revolutionary company, or genre busting piece of art has come from someone's willingness to get to a point where they were uncertain and persist nonetheless. And so thinking about those small steps that you can take to what I say, row through the fog, to keep moving through the uncertainty that you feel, that is both where clarity and growth will emerge.
Speaker 1: All right, So we're gonna we're going to try and proach these things that might produce anxiety with a little bit more of a spirit of curiosity exactly than fear. I love that. So you also have a phrase that you say you want to trust in your future self to solve your future problems. One of the things we'd sometimes talk about on this show is people go over the top of like preparing meals for the entire week, or you know, packing everything for every day of the week, you know, in their bag the night before or something like that. And sometimes there's a reason to do that, but it's also like, well, could Thursday me come up with dinner? I bet Thursday me could figure out dinner Sunday. Meat doesn't necessarily have to figure out dinner for Thursday. I'm curious. What are some other ways where we should trust in our future self to solve our future problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the phrase comes from a friend of mine named Emily, and she is a therapist. But before she became this mental health professional, her mom was given a terminal cancer diagnosis when she was in her early twenties and she would spend days after days her side at the hospital and one day a family friend of theirs named Bill came by to see how Emily was doing, and so he asked, you Emily, how are you holding up? And she said, honestly, I am not doing very well. I'm riding this roller coaster of anxiety and anticipatory grief, and I'm not sure what I'll do if my mom passes away. And Bill says, you know, Bill is an oncology doctor, so he has a lot of experience dealing with people at the end of their lives. And he said, you know, Emily, the version of yourself that will deal with that tragic event, if or when it happens, will be born into existence in that moment, and that version of you will have more context, more information, and will be better equipped to deal than you are today. You have to trust in your future self to solve your future problems. Now. Obviously, in a case of Emily's life, the stakes are incredibly high. You know, she's dealing with her mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a little bit worse than the dinner on Thursdays.
Speaker 2: A little bit worse than the dinner on Thursday. But I think the wisdom still applies. And so often, when faced with uncertainty, we have this natural tendency to rush out and meet our suffering and say, oh, if you know my mom dies, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm so worried and to really rush out to meet that moment. And in Emily's case, her mom ended up recovering and she's so grateful that she didn't spend too much time in that dark place worrying about something that hasn't yet come to be. I think, in a more mundane practical sense, when we're too rigid to our plans, it makes us less flexible and less adaptable. And especially in a world that is rapidly changing, or in a life that is incredibly busy that has lots of variables in the air, if you're too fixed to your one specific way of doing things, it makes it very easy to really get thrown off kilter if something were to change. And so I like the idea of having intentions. As you like to say, doing something three times a week makes it a habit, having a way of knowing what's important to you, but being flexible enough to change the scope or schedule if the week dictates you.
Speaker 1: Adapt yep, because Thursday we might have a really fun dinner outside if the weather is good or something like that. Somebody, I actually want to ask you a little bit about what is a good enough job. So your previous book, a lot of people are hearing that are like, hmm, what is a good enough job?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the title the good enough job is an allusion to this theory that was devised by this British pediatrician named Donald Wynicott, and you might have heard of it. It was called the good enough mother or the good enough parent. And Wenicott was observing how who's a doctor in England in the mid twentieth century, how these parents were trying to be the perfect parent. They were trying to shield their kid from experiencing any sort of negative emotion or harm. And then when the kid never really felt frustrated or sad or angry, the parent would take it extremely personally and so proposal alternative. He called it the good enough parent, and he said, rather than striving for perfection, if you strive for sufficiency. It benefits both the child and the parent. The kid can learn how to self soothe and take care of some of their own issues, and the parent won't lose themselves in their children's emotions. So in the book, I make the direct allusion to the working world, where so often we talk about the dream job and perfection and creates so much room for disappointmentment underneath that sky high ideal. So I define a good enough job as a job that allows you to be the type of person that you want to be. It's sufficiently vague, but I like that everyone can define what a good enough job means for themselves. Maybe for one person it's a job that allows them to pick up their kid from elementary school, or another person that's a job that allows them to go on that afternoon bike ride that really makes their life meaningful. And maybe for someone else it's a job that pays a certain amount of money, or a job that has a certain job title. But the truth is, we get to define what good enough means to us. And once you have your own definition of good enough, you can divert some of that attention and energy that you might be giving to questioning whether you found your perfect calling towards other aspects of your life that might make your life meaningful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it turns out there is no perfect job, just as probably there's no perfect person. There's no perfect future. There's always some uncertainty involved in all of it.
Speaker 2: Great I can't say better myself, and I think that's sort of like the intersection of the two books, where if we take table stakes the idea that there is no perfect job out there, we must be willing to trust our futureselves and understand. Okay, maybe AIS undermining my industry. Maybe I don't know exactly what my ten yere plan is going to be, but I have built my uncertainty tolerance and I'm able to be resilient in the face of all this change.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Well, We're going to take one more quick ad break and then I'll be back with more from Simono stalls Off. Well, I am back talking with Simona Stolzov, who is the author of the brand new book How Not To Know. We've also been talking about the Good Enough Job, So I want to pivot to talk a little bit about your schedule. Now, what does your schedule look like these days?
Speaker 2: Well, as I mentioned earlier, I'm a new parent, so my schedule is a little bit more in flux than it used to be. And I'm grateful to say that I work for myself. So for the last five years or so, I've been independent author, trying to make it as a full time author, living in San Francisco, one of the most expensive cities in the world. But there are some choices that we've made structurally to make that more possible. One is, I live with my wife, my son, my mom, and my stepdad, so we have this intergenerational home, and I live my childhood home, the same house that I grew up in, and having that level of support provides some buffer both from a childcare perspective and from a work perspective. And so there's this distinction that I make in my first book between what are called integrators and segmentors. Graters are people whose jobs integrate throughout their day. They might do a little work in the morning, go on a run, go to the grocery store, come back, do a little work, hang out with their kids, have some dinner, and do work after dinner, where as segment arms are the people that want to log on at nine am, log off at five, and then not open the laptop. Ever. Again, I'm very much an integrator, so I work in small pockets. I try to keep my mornings reserved for creative work, so output like writing that requires a little bit more of that deep work, and do more of my administrative tasks in the afternoon. But every day looks a little bit different for me. I have some anchors. I always try to be home for dinner. I always try and have breakfast with my wife and my son. But the nice thing about being a solopreneur is that no two days are exactly the same.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk a little bit about that morning. So there's a family breakfast in the morning. Do you have anything else that you do as a regular part of your morning routine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So one thing that actually has been a change relatively recently is we've started listening to the radio and good morning. This might not seem revolutionary, but in a world of Spotify recommended songs and Apple Music AI generated playlists, listening to the radio has been such a source of delight. There's this radio station called k EXP that's based in Seattle that recently started streaming in the Bay Area, and it's just this little moment of serendipity each day. It's sort of I think about it as like a college radio station for adults, and so it's super eclectic, and I'll play classical music and then hip hop and then indie and then folk and having that little bit of time between say seven forty five and eight thirty where we're having breakfast together, we're listening to the radio has been one of those anchors if nothing else in my day is predictable. I know that I'll have k exp in the morning.
Speaker 1: Well that's predictable, but what they're playing is unpredictable, uncertainty, whatever the DJs want to play. I love that idea. And do you have any other strategies that like make you more productive in your life?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I try to do a little bit of exercise every morning, and it's as small as I possibly can make it, so I do thirty push ups, I do a few minutes of like plank and stretching, and then a few sort of weights to lift. And what I found is that having that small workout routine it takes me about five minutes, makes it much easier for me to be consistent. And consistency has always been the name of the game for me with any sort of movement or exercise. And now that I have a little bit less free time with a crying one year old at home, I can always think back to that moment in the day where I got my movement in, I did something for myself, and then the last thing that I do that I think is really helpful, is I, like many of us, have realized my addiction to my phone, and so I've started using this device called a brick, which you may have heard of before, to basically make my phone not impotent. You know, it basically makes it not very useful from nine thirty to four each day. And so that's something that I have as like a schedule, and it's really curbed my ability to focus on what matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so during the time time that you're working, you can't just go randomly surf the web and you know, start looking at the Newark Airport your equivalent thereof Yeah.
Speaker 2: My guilty pleasures beyond social media are like ESPN dot com and the New York Times. You know, I'll just like swipe to refresh a million times a day if I don't put some blockers on myself.
Speaker 1: Very smart, very smart. So so mony I asked all my guests, what is something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome? I mean, obviously the listening to the music in the morning the radio is certainly one of those things. I'm curious if you have anything else you've done lately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think about like microdosing novelty a lot. And one thing that my wife I've done and I have done recently, is that we've taken up sausa dancing, which might not seem like you know, as someone with two left feet, I'm not the most natural dancer, but I think it's been two things for us. One is it's one night a week, every single week, where we know that we're doing something for our relationship. And so on Monday nights we go to this local sort of bar dance studio in our neighborhood. We just go for an hour and a half and we have that regular date night. And the second thing it does is it puts us back in that sort of beginner mindset where we're on the steep part of the learning curve. And a lot of my work and my wife's the teacher, is about having confidence and speaking with conviction and just a space in our weeks where we cannot be very good at something. And it's been such a regular source of joy, even in this past year of having this kid, that I would recommend that everyone finds what they're saucea dancing might be.
Speaker 1: I love it, and yeah, that makes a Monday night a lot more interesting than a Monday night would otherwise be for sure.
Speaker 2: Amen to that sabout it.
Speaker 1: Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the best way to find me these days is just to go to how to Not Know dot com. It has all of my social media. I run a newsletter where I send out good articles every other week, and that's the best place to find me. I'm really proud of this book, not just because I feel like the timing couldn't be better. You know, the world it feels more uncertain by the day, But I think it's this nice combination of narrative, of stories of people dealing with uncertainty in their life. A couple deciding whether or not they want to get divorced, an island nation reckoning with the existential threat of climate change, someone trying to predict the next economic crash, but also those tips that will actually help you improve your relationship with uncertainty. I feel like uncertainty is like that Lepanto the room. It's the thing that is around us all the time that we don't often have the words to talk about, And hopefully this book will help you get a little bit better at dealing with what you don't know.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, Simona, thank you so much for joining us, and thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback on this or any other episode, you can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com and in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.