Speaker 1: It's podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host Spencer new Arth and today we're joined by Randall, Brody, Elissa, John Roman and Hillary. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, at cooking, and there's a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing Now, Mediater is heading south for the holidays. We are thrilled to announce meat Eater Live, the Christmas Tour coming to you this December. We have stops in Birmingham, Nashville, Memphis, Fayetteville, Dallas, and Austin. Come hang with Steve Giannis, Clay, Randall and Brent for a night of laughs, trivia, prizes and stories from the outdoors. Go to the medeater dot com slash tour to sign out for pre sale access, which starts September twenty third. That will give you the chance to buy tickets before they officially go on sale to the public. That's the medeater dot Com slash Tour. We can't wait to see you there, especially Randall random what stop are you most excited for?
Speaker 1: Well, I thought long and hard about this, and I was really leaning towards Memphis. Why John Morant and also the song walking in Memphis, I'd have the opportunity to humm that to myself a lot, which is really catchy. But then I ultimately decided that Fayetteville, Arkansas, HM takes the cake for me because Clay new Comes is the mayor. I feel like Clay. I feel like Clay and Brent like bring a lot of Arkansas here. Yes, but I'm like, is that really Arkansas? So now I get to see them in their environment, see how see them among their people. Yes, and I'll just gain a new depth of appreciation for what is so Arkansas about Clay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see if it's actually authentic or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it might be a shtick. Everybody there might be looking at Clay and rolling their eyes. But haven't been to Arkansas since the summer of two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: What was the occasion?
Speaker 1: I went down to the White River National Forest some fishing in the Buffalo River there you go, and did some fishing.
Speaker 2: Randall's genuinely very exciting. He was saying he really looks forward to just hanging with his buddies and farting on the bus. I was that was what he said in a meeting here.
Speaker 1: I was born. I was born to hang out on buses and in locker rooms, okay, and just hold court. So I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: It should be a good week and a lot of good food. I'm sure there's a locker room here.
Speaker 3: I don't ever see you hanging out in there.
Speaker 1: Well, there's not nearly enough space for the high jinks that I again.
Speaker 2: The meat eater dot com slash tour pre sale is happening soon, all right. In a previous episode, we had a question about what the archery acronym foes he stands for. The correct answer was front of center, but after some debate, I also accepted Randal and Yanni's answer a forward of center. Well, after further research, it has been revealed that forward of center is totally correct. It turns out that our favorite archery expert at Ashby, who's been a guest on the Mediator podcast, says forward of center over front of center, So FOC can be either one and it doesn't change the outcome of the game because Jannis and Randall were awarded that point and then lost to Brody in overtime because Brody is peer of heart and they are not.
Speaker 1: But thanks of course to our attentive listeners who pointed out.
Speaker 2: Folks were coming to your defense, Mini sources were revealed that went with forward of center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're the only thing that's better than winning is being right, So I'll take that.
Speaker 2: This game you get to do both sometimes sometimes, all right. The shelby and ext for today is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game game of trivia. Play the drop fill. Look, I need to know what I stay underwan everything? How's that?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Game on Suckers. Question one. The topic is natural history. This first great question is via Anthony Tornetta and it is multiple choice. Which state has the most active volcanoes? Hawaii, Organ, Washington, Alaska. Brody quick to answer, whiteboard is down Which state as the most active volcanoes? Hawaii, Organ, Washington, Alaska. Tough one for question one.
Speaker 3: Most the other day are Mount Saint Helens is shown a little activity.
Speaker 2: Hmm, I could probably dang your reach us if something happened Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Alaska.
Speaker 1: That reminds me of an overtime game that I lost on one year. What year in Mount Saint Helens erupted?
Speaker 2: I don't remember the answer, eighty nineteen eighty. There you fil is everybody ready Roman doing some erasing. Most active volcanoes Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Alaska. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Alyssa saying Hawaii, Roman Washington, Randall Washington, John Hawaii, Hillary, Hawaii, Brody Alaska. The correct answer is Alaska. Only Brody got it right. Alaska has one hundred and forty one active volcanoes. That's followed by California with eighteen, Oregon with seven, seventeen, Washington with seven, Hawaii with five, Utah and Idaho with four, Mexico with three, Arizona and Nevada with two, and Colorado and Wyoming with one. Of Alaska's one hundred and forty one active volcanoes, fifty of them have been active within the last two hundred and fifty years. Not even close. You could add up all the other.
Speaker 1: Okay Okay volcanoes again.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to say, Spencer Alaska would still whoop them.
Speaker 1: What are some prominent Alaska volcanoes?
Speaker 3: Brody, Oh, Mount Alaska, mount Volcano.
Speaker 2: We don't have time for all of them. Question two. The topic is wildlife. Red winged, yellow headed and brewers are all types of this bird that the Beatles mortalized with a nineteen sixty eight song Hillary quick to answer, Hillary, is it because of the three types of this bird? Or is it because of the Beatles? Hint yep Okay. Winged, yellow headed and brewers are all types of this bird that the Beatles immortalized in a nineteen sixty eight song. Brody again, quick to answer.
Speaker 3: I'm an amateur birder spencer.
Speaker 2: Red winged, yellow headed, and brewers are all types of this bird that the Beatles immortalized in a nineteen sixty eight song Brody and Hillary confident ore other four players not so much.
Speaker 3: What do you got show me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Brody and Hillary agree, Randall, is that a blank whiteboard down there?
Speaker 1: No, I've got something, but I don't like it.
Speaker 2: Red Winged, yellow headed, and brewers are all types of this bird that the Beatles immortalized in a nineteen sixty eight song, Oh listen now, coming up with an answer maybe, John, do you have an answer?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, Roman, do you have an answer?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I've been talking about the Beatles a lot with my friends, so that was the you know this one.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm hopeful, Okay, Randall, I'm.
Speaker 1: Torn between two answers. One I think could be a song, and then one I think could go with one of these descriptions.
Speaker 2: Red winged, yellow headed, and not a Beatles fan random.
Speaker 1: I mean the basics.
Speaker 3: I don't know more of a Stones.
Speaker 1: Guy, Pearl jam ever Clear, Oh that's right, Everclaire really open and goes catch them.
Speaker 2: This weekend I heard night to Randall's been trying to wrangle a ticket in our company slack channel.
Speaker 1: Ever Clear and Sponge.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be sick Sponge. I'm not familiar with.
Speaker 1: Yeh, who's Sponge? Just like another nineties.
Speaker 2: A lesser ever Clear. They don't have a Santa Monica or Father of Mine.
Speaker 1: No, I mean Santa Monica. If I could just put one song on repeat.
Speaker 3: Have they moved on to the county fair circuit? Is that where they're at now?
Speaker 1: Or yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, because I think they've played a county fairy here in Montana.
Speaker 1: Well, exhibit is coming to uh exhibit is coming to Billings later this month. I'm excited for that.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Alyssa sang, Robin Roman and Randall and John and Hillary and Brody say blackbird. They got it. The correct answer is blackbird. The Beatles were singing about the Eurasian blackbird in their song that's simply called blackbird. At the end of the tune, you actually hear the song of a real blackbird. American Songwriter magazine declared it the sixteenth best Beatles song of all time.
Speaker 1: It's not bye bye blackbird. That's not it. That's what I was thinking of.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: Blackbirds show up in March because then you know, l or over.
Speaker 2: They just sound like a marsh to me, like I'm like among fish. I'm near water when I hear a red cat like cat and tail. That's right. Question three. The topic is hunting. This is our listener question of the Week, which was won by Randy Hodge for sending this great question. Randy is going to get a board game signed by the crew if you want a chance to win our listener Question of the Week. Then send your question to trivia at the meadeater dot com. This rail with evenly spaced grooves was developed by the military in the late nineteen eighties and has since become the most popular rail on rifles. Randy and Brody quick to answer. This rail with evenly spaced grooves was developed by the military in the late nineteen eighties, in a sense, become the most popular rail on rifles. John also has his answer, Hmmm, what was that grown, Randall?
Speaker 1: Oh, just the game's getting exciting again. We started out with a bird question.
Speaker 2: And uh huh volcano volcanoes now guns.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This rail with evenly spaced grooves was developed by the military in the late nineteen eighties and has since become the most popular rail on rifle.
Speaker 3: We've been doing any parking lot gun transactions lately, Randall?
Speaker 1: Not lately. It's been pretty static in that realman, is everybody ready doing more experiments lately?
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. A lessa without an answer, Roman says arc. Randall and John say, pic a tinny, Hillary without an answer, Brody picatinny. The correct answer is picatinny p I c A t I N n y. The Picatinny rail is named after the Picatinny Arsenal in New Jersey, where it was designed and developed. The Picatinny rail largely replaced the weaver rail for both the military and civilians. In most cases, accessories designed for weaver rails will also work on Picatinny rails, but not the other way around. Randal, do you have anything that still has a weaver rail on it? No, everything you own is over over to Picatinny.
Speaker 1: All Picatinny or or like a direct a direct mount like a machine den rail.
Speaker 2: Question for the topic is fishing. This Company with a cloudy Name was purchased by Rappola in nineteen ninety nine and is best known for the Wigglewart, Thunderstick and Hot and Top Randall surprisingly optimistic about a fishing question. This Company with a cloudy Name was purchased by Rappela in nineteen ninety nine and is best known for the Wigglewart, Thunderstick and Hot and Top Brody. Do you think you own a Wigglewart, thunderstick or Hot and Tight?
Speaker 1: I do not?
Speaker 2: Okay, He also doesn't have an answer yet. Company with a Cloudy Name was purchased by Rappalla in nineteen ninety nine, and it's best known for the Wigglewart, thunderstick, and Hot and Top. John, do you have this one right? I don't know if I have it right, but I have an idea. I've had a hot and top before fish for them. I fished with them in Canada a few times, and I think I got it. It's folks in the northern part of the country. I think they like their wigglewarts, thundersticks and hot and tots.
Speaker 1: Be still my heart.
Speaker 2: Brody is trying to beat the answer out of his head, tapping the whiteboard against the bill of his hat. He still has a blank whiteboard.
Speaker 1: No, I got okay, all right?
Speaker 2: This company with a cloudy name was purchased by Rappaula in nineteen ninety nine and is best known for the Wigglewart, thunderstick, and Hot and Top. It is everybody ready, I go ahead and reveal your answers, Alyssa, says Stormy Roman without an answer Randall, Stormy, John, Storm, Hillary, Nimbus, Brodie Thunderhead. The correct answer is Storm Why on the end? We should not give that to them? Right?
Speaker 1: Except for John?
Speaker 2: John had it right? Storm the company. The company was created by the Storm brothers in Norman, Oklahoma in the nineteen sixties. The wigglewarts that were made maid by Storm prior to the buyout in nineteen ninety nine had become coveted among anglers. According to collectors, the og wigglewarts used a misaligned mold that created the lures. Famously erratic action Rappleup perfected the mold in the early two thousands, which supposedly ruined the crank Baits enticing dance. Question five topic is cooking, and this next great question is via Carl Sutman. This parasitic flatworm with a five letter name can show up in your liver after eating undercooked fish. Brody and Randall already have their whiteboards down. This parasitic flatworm with a five letter name can show up in your liver after eating undercooked fish.
Speaker 3: I wonder if I got any of those things in my liver.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, I think you'd know by now.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe not.
Speaker 2: They had some uh, some seria symptoms we can talk about in the flavor text. This parasitic flatworm with a five letter name can show up in your liver after eating undercooked fish. Our other four players do not have an answer. Parasitic flatworm with a five letter name.
Speaker 1: Not to dwell on past questions, but I think stormy thunderstick sounds like a much better lure than a storm thunderstick. It doesn't the tongue.
Speaker 2: It was their last name, so they just to go with Storm.
Speaker 1: That's fair Storm.
Speaker 2: Brothers. I had Storm, and I thought the same thing as you, and I was like, it's Storm.
Speaker 1: I just remember when we went to went up to the boundary waters with my boy scout troop and they asked the outfitter we're using what lures to bring and just said storm thundersticks.
Speaker 2: Just storm thundersticks, long crank bait. They got a long, slender body.
Speaker 1: It's like the only thing that And I was like, interesting, no spoons.
Speaker 2: Did you make it to eagle Scout status?
Speaker 1: I did, Yes, I am an eagle scout.
Speaker 2: Wow, I didn't know we were among Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I'm so confident.
Speaker 2: Parasitic flatworm with a five letter name that can show up in your liver after eating undercooked fish. It's everybody ready.
Speaker 1: Troop two eighty six, Dan Beard Council, what'd you do to get your Eagle Scout status? My project. There's a farm that was owned by like the Cincinnati Nature Center, and they do a bunch of like outdoor head classes there. So we did a couple of projects for them, one of which was rebuilding a giant wagon that they use, and then we built stairs down to a pond so it.
Speaker 2: Was more accessible for real boy scouts.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Pulsoon, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Alyssa saying blood, Roman without an answer, Randall says fluke, John and Hillary without an answer. Brody says fluke. The correct answer is fluke. Liver flukes create symptoms like fever, abdominal pain, nausea, and vomiting, and if left untreated, they can cause serious organ damage. You can get a liver fluke by eating undercooked fish, aquatic plants that weren't properly washed, or from drinking contaminated water. All right, we're halfway through the game of trivia. Phil, give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: You have to question five. We have a Lyssa with zero points, Roman and Hillary have one point a piece, Randall and John are tied up with three, and in first place is Brody Henderson with four points.
Speaker 2: Tough round so far. Question six. The topic is conservation. This next great question is via Titus McKenty This was the third most visited national park in twenty twenty three, which shares its name with a hill in Jerusalem. Randall has his answer. This was the third most visited national park in twenty twenty three, which shares its name with a hill in Jerusalem. Randal the only player with an answer so far. Again. Question six topic is conservation. Alyssa has now joined him. This was the third most visited national park in twenty twenty three, which shares its name with a hill in Jerusalem. I don't even know if this is a national Hmmm.
Speaker 1: I'm tempted to add a why to this, just to make a funny bit.
Speaker 2: Now I know I'm wrong to the end, to the end.
Speaker 1: I guess if you have a question an answer that ends in why, it would be a problem.
Speaker 2: It would be really funny.
Speaker 1: Fill your hats thrown me off.
Speaker 2: I thought that too. I never see phil in ahead.
Speaker 4: Oh this is this is how you know. I haven't done my I didn't do anything, my hair.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say something happened.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: It was the third most visited national park in twenty twenty three, which shares its name with a Hill in Jerusalem.
Speaker 1: It's like worried when you walked in that maybe cut yourself or something bumped your head again.
Speaker 4: I'm in mourning about it again. One.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Brodie, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's dropping door.
Speaker 2: Third most visited park in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: I'll be mad when I hear it.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he's just going to the blank whiteboard for this. Yeah, it's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Alissa saying Nazareth, Roman Yosemite. Randall says Zion, John Acadia, Hillary Yosemite. Already without an answer. The correct answer is Zion National Park. It was officially protected in nineteen oh nine as Muckin'toweep National Monument, which is a piute word for straight canyon, but in nineteen eighteen, the Park Service changed it to Zion National Monument, which is what the Mormon settlers referred to the area. As historians say, the name change was because the Park Service believed people were less likely to visit an area if they couldn't pronounce the name. A year later, a year after that, Zion went from a National monument to a National park. Question seven. The topic is woodsmanship. What month has the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere? What month has the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere? This is question seven. I think Randall's correct answer on the last one's tied him up with Brody. What month has the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere? Randall, after a lot of thinking down there, has placed his whiteboard on the table.
Speaker 1: I just can't tell if I'm under thinking this or over.
Speaker 2: What month has the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.
Speaker 1: Calendar questions have been throwing me off.
Speaker 2: Recently too, the what was the one? Oh, pheasants, peasants, hatching.
Speaker 1: Birds? Calendars h a lot of weak spots in my game these days.
Speaker 2: What month has the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere? Is everybody ready? Okay? Hillary's done some racing, John coming up with another answer, Roman, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I'm similar to Randal. I don't know if I'm over underthinking this one. I mean, nuts, it's tough, it's really tough.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Alyssa saying January, Roman January, Randall December, John February, Hillary December, Brody December. Direct answer is December. Half of our players got that one right. This is known as the winter solstice, which is almost always on December twenty first, while the summer solstice is in June. That means it's flipped for our friends in the southern Hemisphere who have the summer solstice in December and winter Solstice in June.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if maybe there is some catch up in the.
Speaker 2: Arctic Question eight. The topic is located south of Cape Cod and west of Nantucket. This island hosts one of America's longest running fishing tournaments. Located south of Cape Cod and west of Nantucket, this island hosts one of America's longest running fishing tournaments. Hillary, a new Englander, looks confident. Randall also likes his answer, Brody's still thinking. Located south of Cape Cod and west of Nantucket, this island hosts one of America's longest running fishing tournaments. This is question eight, so we'll get another scoreboard update from Phil after this. Hillary, have you been to this place? What were you doing there? Okay, because you don't want to give anyone the answer, or you were just up to some okay. Located south of Cape Cod and west of Nantucket, this island hosts one of America's longest running fishing tournaments. Okay, that's fun. Randall, who also likes his answer, have you been to this place?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Brody has his whiteboard down. Brody, what percent chance do you have this one?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Let's say fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, mmm, all right. Hillary didn't want to say what she was doing at this place, and now.
Speaker 4: She sounds like she was eating clam chowder.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what I wrote down.
Speaker 2: Okay, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers? With Melissa saying Boston Roman Without an answer, Randall says Martha's Vineyard, John, Long Island, Hillary and Brody say Martha's Vineyard. They got it. The correct answer is Martha's Vineyard. Simply referred to as the Derby, this fishing tournament has been going on since nineteen forty six. This year it runs from September fourteenth to October eighteenth, meaning it's happening right now. There are daily weigh ins each morning and night, with two hundred and thirty nine fish registered in the first three days so far. The big fish is a nineteen pound elba core tuna. Hillary, What were you fishing for at Martha's vineyard.
Speaker 1: I've gone out on a boat, tried.
Speaker 4: To catch tuna.
Speaker 2: Tried, didn't work though. Okay. How was the clam chowder though?
Speaker 4: Pull that? Pull up, mic up, Hillary, Sorry, the clam chowder there is top not good. Guys, get the New England, not the Manhattan.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I didn't think they would serve that weird.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, it's it's a rookie if you did that.
Speaker 4: What's the difference. I don't know that.
Speaker 1: The one is cream. New England is cream based. Manhattan is like tomato based.
Speaker 2: Oh and Brody said on an early earlier episode that he liked the Manhattan as a kid.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, that's like it was like Campbell's.
Speaker 1: Sure Campbells place in the world, but.
Speaker 2: Not Yeah, art, Phil give us a scoreboard update with two questions to go.
Speaker 5: That's noth Alyssa is playing the game. We got Roman with one point, John and Hillary have three points a piece, and now all tied up at Randall and Brody with six.
Speaker 1: Given that a list is not on the board. I am inclined to revisit the storm storm, but.
Speaker 2: This had a big meeting. She had to lead it for the whole company. It was unfair to even ask her to come here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take all.
Speaker 2: This, thank you. Question nine, the topic is conservation. This alliterative agriculture practice that reduces erosion and weeds is defined as quote a crop grown for the protection and enrichment of soil. Randall already has his answer, John as well. This alliterative agriculture practice that reduces erosion and weeds is defined as a crop grown for the protection and enrichment of soil. Brody looks stumped again. This is question nine. This alliterative agriculture practice that reduces erosion and weeds is defined as a crop grown for the protection and enrichment of soil. For players with blank whiteboards in the room, this is a stumper. Brody now coming up with an answer. Maybe, Randall, do you think Brody's going to at this one right?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm not trying to weigh in on this.
Speaker 2: How about you.
Speaker 1: I feel like I blew. I think I have a good shot. I feel like I blew my chance with storm Stormy.
Speaker 2: You're right there.
Speaker 1: I was hopeful that he was going to fumble on the Martha's Vineyard question. But I also knew that he knew of the Martha's Vineyard Derby.
Speaker 2: Boy, you knew that he knew of the Derby.
Speaker 1: I did because I brought it up in a meeting two years ago.
Speaker 2: Really, and I never forget I'd never heard of it till I was writing this question.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a fabulous feature in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life many many years ago about the Derby. And then also it's like a classic. There's a book about striper fishing, and I think there's like a whole chapter about the Derby in that what's it called?
Speaker 2: I thought I found something that the rest of the country didn't know about.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, it's like damn. I think it does claim to be the oldest fishing tournament.
Speaker 2: I couldn't find that on their website, so I just put one of the oldest, knowing that there couldn't be many that ad been going on for longer. This alliterative agriculture practice that reduces erosion and weeds is defined as a crop grown for the protection and enrichment of soil, Brody. Do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I think I got a chance came to me. I think it might be right.
Speaker 2: It's everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. Alyssa says, what's that saying? Mitigation Roman without an answer Randall cover crop, John cover crop, Hillary, cash crop, Brody cover crop. The correct answer is cover crop. A cover crop also enhances water availability, water filtration, improves aeration, helps control pests and diseases, and increases biodiversity. Some examples of cover crops include barley, alpha oates, sorghum, buckwheat, rye grass, and clover. A twenty twenty five USDA survey found that farmers who plant cover crops are more likely to adopt other conservation practices as well. Here's a correct answer review so far one Alaska two, Blackbird three, Picatinny four, Storm five, Fluke six, Zion National Park seven, December eight, Martha's Vineyard nine cover crop Phil. Let's get one last scoreboard update.
Speaker 4: It's down to Randall Imbrodi seven points apiece. Going into question ten.
Speaker 2: Question ten, the topic is hunting. This is the home city of Lee Ellis and Drew Carroll from Seek One, which is where they got famous for killing giant urban whitetails. This is the home city of Lee Ellis and Drew Carroll from Seek One, which is where they got famous for killing giant urban whitetails.
Speaker 1: When I glanced at the board, I thought it said the home city of Drew Carrey, and I got super excited, and then I couldn't figure out the connection to the media universe.
Speaker 2: Drew Carrey thinks, uh, it could be well, I.
Speaker 4: Know, yes, exact Cleveland, Rand Is that just the Drew Carrey show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I should say the character Drew Carrey, not not the actor showman, famous showman Drew Carrey.
Speaker 2: This is the home city of Lee Ellis and Drew Carroll from Seek One, which is where they got famous for killing giant urban whitetails. Randall, do you like your answer? Not in the least, Brody. Do you like your answer?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, not something I'm familiar with. How about you, John? No?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: This maybe a zero percent. This is the home city of Lee Ellis and Drew Carroll from Seek One, which is where they got famous for killing giant urban white tails.
Speaker 4: Drew carry the man was indeed born in Cleveland, Ohio.
Speaker 2: I figured he liked it too much to yeah from somewhere else.
Speaker 1: He really leaned into it.
Speaker 4: Maybe a little too much.
Speaker 1: Maybe a little too much.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready, Moses Cleveland, Go ahead and reveal your answers, Alyssa says Milwaukee, Roman, Oklahoma City, Randall Columbus, John Pittsburgh, Hillary Tallahassee, Brody Washington, d C. The correct answer is Atlanta. Nobody got it. Lee and Drew created Seek One in twenty fifteen. They killed multiple booner bucks within city limits, which isn't as crazy as it might sound. Much of Atlanta's deerherd has genetics that trace back to stocking programs from the nineteen forties and fifties, where Wisconsin w were cut loose in the southeast. The Southern Outdoorsman podcast says those urban bucks are able to maximize their antler growth through low stress and lots of birthdays. Alyssa, you've you spent part of your life in Atlanta. You remember seeing some giant white tails there? I do not know weren't around in your day? No, I mean I definitely saw a white tail, but I did not I would not have thought that that was the answer mini booter bucks have been killed by them, I think, and one over two hundred inches. Geez seek one boys, All right, we're going to overtime play the drop phill.
Speaker 4: Tiebreaker.
Speaker 5: A lot of these lately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we would remember that long stretch we had with no tie breaker.
Speaker 2: We had like three months. Yeah, it didn't happen, and now it's been like every other episode. All right, down for the tie breaker. It is Randall and Brody. This will be a numerical question. Whoever is closest between them will be declared the winner. But our other four players are going to also participate because if somebody gets it right on the knows meat eater will add an extra one hundred dollars donation to the end of the game. The tie breaking topic is cooking. A twenty seventeen study found that the average whitetail buck in Ohio yields this many pounds of boneless meat. A twenty seventeen study found that the average whitetail buck in Ohio yields this many pounds of boneless meat. I'll give you a little more context. This study looked at the butcher result of one hundred and fifteen whitetail deer from Ohio's gun season. We'll have you do a whole number. That way you have a chance of getting it right on the nose. A twenty seventeen study found that the average whitetail buck in Ohio yields this many pounds of boneless meat. Hillar, we want, we want you to come up with an answer so you can get it right on the nose. That was like from one hundred and fifteen whitetailed deer from Ohio's gun season. I looked at the butcher results of those.
Speaker 3: Like from processors. Yes, I feel like.
Speaker 2: Again, we'll do a whole number on this one. Twenty seventeen study found that the average whitetailed buck in Ohio yields this many pounds of bonus meat. A lot of thinking from Brody and Randall. I've seen Randall write down a lot of numbers over there. Yeah, from your neck of the woods. I know you processed many bucks I imagine that were killed during Ohio's gun season.
Speaker 1: No, never killed a buck during gun season in Ohio.
Speaker 3: Did you use one of those arrow guns?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Barnett Rhino nice?
Speaker 2: All right? Is everybody ready came with.
Speaker 1: A scope and five bolts.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Alyssa saying sixty four pounds, Roman forty four, John sixty five, Hillary, who says seventy three. Our two players left. We have Randall saying sixty seven, Brody saying fifty three. The correct answer is sixty three pounds Alyssa. It is only one off and bro excuse me, and Randall is our winner. He was four pounds. Oh to be specific, it was sixty two point five to one pounds. Again, this study looked at the butcher results for one hundred and fifteen white tailed deer from Ohio's gun season. They found that the average buck weighed one hundred and thirty pounds field dressed and had sixty three pounds of boneless meat, while a dough was ninety two pounds field dressed and had forty five pounds of bone. Meet. They determined the meat yield off of a field dressed whitetail is about forty nine percent. Some excellent guesses in that see John Randall, Hillary All very very close to the correct answer of sixty three pounds. All right, Randal, what are you doing with your five hundred dollars today.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm I'm really far behind on my list of donation requests. It's become embarrassing. Lately. We've given the tiebreaker and given some recent events, I'd like to donate this to the Ohio Conservation Federation.
Speaker 2: What do they do?
Speaker 1: They work on all types of issues affecting sportsmen and women in Ohio. And when I was at the tailgate tour, I was about to walk a good long distance to the game and Matt from the Ohio Conservation Federation game ride all the way down all the way down to Ohio Stadium.
Speaker 2: A five hundred dollars uber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, they're they're working right now. I believe I'm gonna butcher this probably, but there's some timberlands that are being divested and they're trying to fundraise to help the state acquire them to provide more access for hunters and anglers in Ohio. So that's the that's their priority right now, is working with the state legislature to get that across the line.
Speaker 2: Five hundred dollars going to the Ohio Conservation Federation. I think the the moral of the storiers just pick up hitchhikers. Yeah, maybe they'll payoff in the future.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean some day.
Speaker 2: Maybe looked like one that day.
Speaker 1: You know, just just just a kind man, and I learned a lot from them, so I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Mel Don Randall join us next week for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Spencer from South Dakota.
Speaker 2: He's the host, using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down.
Speaker 1: He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur lockhow