Speaker 1: This time Lague Cracker.
Speaker 2: Bring we will see you Toms the Dunner.
Speaker 3: Welcome Laming hang Out, Welcome to the Just Baseball Show. It is Sunday, July twelfth, and you got the three of us that Jack McFall and Arm Late and I am Peter Rapple. And today we are doing a twenty twenty six home run derby preview and a recap. What kind of superlatives about the twenty twenty six MLB Draft Because Arm Tyler and I did a three hour stream on the draft, So now we're going to look at the best of most underrated picks, best value picks, a bunch of other fun things with the draft. And it's all brought to you by bet MGM. And if you haven't signed up for betmgm yet, use bonus code just Baseball when signing up and you will get up to a fifteen hundred dollars new player offer on your first wager with BETMGM. Here's how it works. You just download the betmgm app and sign up using bonus code just Baseball, Deposit at least ten bucks, and place your first wager on any game, and if that bet loses, you'll receive up to fifteen hundred bucks in bonus bets, and maybe, just maybe, if you haven't made a bet on BETMGM yet, it's the perfect time to do so. ARM for the Home Run Derby because I built out and Jack, you'll love this a statistical model for the Home Run Derby, a simulation. It simulated the Derby two hundred thousand times. Nope, you gotta do more. And what you're also going to appreciate and I don't want to spoil it yet, but it came to a conclusion that a person who went to Citizens Bank Park and had eight beers and bet On vibes would also come to that conclusion. So whether you build out a model and simulate the Derby two hundred thousand times, or you drink eight beers, you're going to come to the same answer.
Speaker 4: My preferred models usually simulate North the six hundred thousand times, So please ask your engine to simulate it four hundred thousand more times?
Speaker 3: How many like?
Speaker 4: How long did it take to simulate two hundred thousand times?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Claude just does it immediately. So I just put in four thousand.
Speaker 4: I could do it, you know what, Yeah, just say keep going, keep going, keep going until your computer starts foaming at the.
Speaker 1: Mouthpeter, I'm tired.
Speaker 3: I'm going to bounce you guys through the show. I'm going to go simulate the Derby eight hundred thousand more times so I could get the same answer, all right, the same answer again as if just you said that feels like it's going to be this guy.
Speaker 1: So it was cool, though, I'm excited to kind of compare the thoughts and we'll contrast there. But yeah, it is funny that it kind of took you to the same answer that it kind of just vibes guy out and right Field just there for a good time, was going to go with his prediction too exactly.
Speaker 3: I assume it's all Wilson contreras.
Speaker 1: Right, Wilson guy. In the history of a Derby.
Speaker 3: Wilson gatures the sneaky value sneaky value of wilskatuz. But I'm record be betting him. So let's go over the rules first, because this is the first year the Derby has changed in a long time. We got used to the timer and then they said no timer, we're changing it again. So each hitter gets twenty swings in the first round, and every swing counts against that total, whether the ball leaves the yard or not. A hitter. A hitter who homers on his final swing keeps swinging until he makes an out. The four highest home run totals advanced to seeded head to head semi finals, and the two winners meet in the final with fifteen swings per hitter in both of those rounds, and then the totals reset each round. There are no bonus rounds and no timeouts. First round ties are broken by the longest home run, and the later rounds use a three swing swing off. Any questions, no much.
Speaker 1: My immediate thought was, all of a sudden, it feels like age matters less.
Speaker 3: Now, Yes, I'm with you, that was my exact thought. And it's like the guys who I agree have more stamina. Like I remember, we've talked about a lot of the younger guys who have ended up winning this competition. That's why in twenty twenty four when Taoscar won it, not only was that you know a player in the field that was ranked fifth or six, but he was an older player. He was kind of the only guy to win in this timer era that was above the age of twenty eight years old. So now we throw all of that out the window. We finally get to watch guys just hit dangers. Those are the rules. We don't have to It's not like every five seconds you're seeing a ball fly, especially arm I know you and I especially have been to the home run Derby now five or six times. Jack, you two, like when the balls are just going out so quickly, you don't get to sit there and enjoy any of the homers. No, that that's a huge thing.
Speaker 4: The other thing is, you know, if you remember the pre clock era of the home run Derby, a lot of people get very frustrated by the sheer number of takes. It's like, how do we get these guy to how do we get these guys to swing more? But we had the opportunity to try both, and I think I'd prefer watching guys take and then watching the ball fly as opposed to, okay, how many swings did you just get off here?
Speaker 3: And it's like I can't even track a baseball.
Speaker 4: So I like it could be a lesser of two evils type of conversation, But I think this one is certainly the lesser of two evils.
Speaker 1: That's the thing I agree with. Well, one also a bad picture, which is an unfortunate circumstance, can't fully derail a guy, like It'll still be difficult, it'll hurt you a little bit. But when you're on a timer, like if your pitcher can't find it, like you're you're screwed. Your time's ticking. But now I think it's a more relaxed setting where you get X amount of swings. I think it at least, you know, allows a guy to be able to find it a little bit and not rush it. The other side is just that, Yeah, I would more than happily watch a guy spin on a couple balls that just aren't located well to be able to see how far it flies and soak it in. Then just see three in the air. It feels like at the same time, I have no idea where to look, and and right as you're watching it fly like that, the next ball is on its way. So now I think the changes are good. I'm excited about it, but I'm also like, there's always going to be something. It seems like it's impossible to make it perfect. So I'm eagerly awaiting what I'm not going to like, But I'm going to focus on the positives. I'm going to straight what I normally do. I'm pretty fired up to figure out what I hate too. It's like, you know what, I decide, I hate this new thing. So I wake up every day just getting ready to do.
Speaker 4: What can I hate today? That's new, fresh and exciting. So I'm glad that you did bring up arm the pitchers right? Could they get the yips? Could they start throwing balls? I still think and I'm curious your guys is of this opinion. I still think it matters. Like I think, the better the BP thrower, the more familiar you are with said BP thrower, likely the better you're going to do. Because you know, some guys like I remember Pete Alonso cal Rawley last year, they won with their dad.
Speaker 3: This wasn't a coach who was, you know, an expert BP thrower. This was their dad when they were used to, you know, facing this guy throughout their entire childhood and the middle years.
Speaker 4: Did Alonzo win with his dad or did he win with Iron Dave Jous who is the best BP?
Speaker 3: It was the best BPF. Literally, he won multiple and I think one of them was either with his dad or his cousin. I'm nine percent sure it was a family member, but I think that familiar exactly. I think that familiarity matters, or a guy who's been throwing you back practice in the cage for two years, like Kyle Schwarber's guy. One that I think is the biggest concern is Bryce Harper's BP pitcher. He even said that they're going in blind. What's his name? His name is Dino Ebel, the dad of Trey Ebl who just got drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers.
Speaker 4: And Brady and the third race coach of the LA Dodgers, Dino Evil exactly.
Speaker 3: He's a good BP thrower. But Harper even said we're going in blind because he's never thrown to Harper in his life. I feel like that could end up hurting Harper thoughts.
Speaker 1: My pushback on that when we were talking out of it before, is that like he's kind of dialed. I feel like on the BP, I think he's gonna be money to throw into like generations of kids. He's gonna be nasty with it. But there is kind of a cadence and timing and familiarity. I'm sure that is a big part of it, and I think that does contribute. But Dino might be locked I don't know.
Speaker 3: And to your point, arm Dino has thrown in the in the home run derby before.
Speaker 1: So that's big too. I think if you've thrown in the derby before, like you could be a big league third base coach, but not until the lights are on you and there's forty thousand people there. And like your ability to gently throw a ball over the plate, which is I think harder than throwing it hard over the plate from that distance, like it is basically makes or breaks a Major League Baseball player's opportunity to win the derby. I think it's got to be crazy, crazy, nerve racking if you've never done it before, but you go ahead.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, But if anybody knows nerve wracking BP, it's probably deno Ebel, who has to throw to Otani every day. And like, I understand that it's not in a public setting, but if you're throwing to Otani constantly, and you're throwing to Freeman and Mets, you better be locked in. And I feel good about a Dodger BP thrower throwing to Harper.
Speaker 3: So it's funny. Like my statistical bottle, two hundred thousand simulations, I had to rank them, and the rest of the guys have pretty good BP throwers, So I ranked Harper's guy last because they've never thrown to each other. But generally speaking, I don't.
Speaker 4: Wait, you had to rank the throwers for Claude, rank the throwers. Let's man, no, no, do it three hundred thousand more times and then we'll.
Speaker 1: Start some more times.
Speaker 3: I think the best the best BP thrower, Junior camer Arrow's got a good one. They got through to the Randy Rose Arena when he finishes the runner up, and through to Cameron Arrow himself last year when camen Aro was the runner up. So that's my number one ranked BP thrower. I love the derby.
Speaker 1: I don't know does he have what it takes to push him across the finish line. It doesn't sound like.
Speaker 3: A lot of runner ups. Maybe shy Dokam tri sim some of the gatorade too, or is it just the hitters that get it during the timeout? Some of these pictures may need some gatorade but no timer, so again they get to take their time a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: That was a very entertating segment about BP throwers. Let's talk about whom you actually think is going to win the Derby? Talk about who we think is going to win the Derby? Arm where are you out here?
Speaker 1: This is, as Peyton said a couple episodes ago, this is like the ball Knower's Derby, And Jack and I speculated, like who could fill the last couple of spots. We knew it would be Schwarber, and we thought very confidently that it would be Harper as well. We get those two. I would not have thought that Murakami would be in this thing, and I think that brings a really fun element. We talked about it. Peter and I talked about it a little bit before we hit record of like maybe he hasn't played in a while, but I think, as Peter brought this point up, like, I think it actually works in his favor one because he's gonna feel fresh and feel good. But too, there's no chance that Murakami's in this thing if he's not feeling great, Like even if the hammy was a little tight, I don't think he's doing this thing. So I just think now this field, how ridiculous it is, and the age thing not mattering as much. It's really hard to not kind of stray back towards or drift back towards the vets and like a Schwarber or even when Otako was younger. I just think this setting, all of a sudden is pretty exciting because his swing is just scrooved for just balls in the air hard consistently, and I think it could work really well from Murakami as well. But Schwerbur in the bank with this format's going to be tough too. But I'm excited about Murakami.
Speaker 3: Yeah, real quick on the Murakami thing, and Jack, I'm curious to your thoughts on this too. It's you can kind of there's two forks in the road and you go either direction with mun To Taka Murakami. One is he's only played three games since you returned from the IL, and now he has to go do this home run derby, even though he has done I think two in Japan. I know he's done one. I think it's two in Japan, but he's ever done one Stateside. Obviously, completely new rules after the injury, he's not going to do all that well, or you could look at it, he's the freshest he has come back. He clearly is healthy because the white socks are playing him, and he agreed to do the derby. Even though it's not much of a stamina game, you still have to have some stamina to be punishing baseball's four hundred and forty feet out of the ballpark, right, So which way do you lean on, murra Commy, Is that the health thing is actually completely overblown and he's the freshest or do you think it actually will affect him during the derby? Before I answer this question, does this sound awful? Right now?
Speaker 4: I'm at the Fort Lauernale Hollywood International Airport, So why don't you guys talk a little bit about more about the rest of the field, and I'll chime in, Actually, no, never mind, they're not done. You guys talk a little bit more about the rest of the field, and then when they do decide to shut up on the speakers, I will jump up six.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: I assumed that Jack agrees with you, and I are that I don't think the health is going to affect him that much, So I do like Murakami. I also think that Jack Haglion is going to be a problem. Yeah, I think that Jack Haglion because again, I think again, we should focus on left handed bats. At a citizens Bank Park, per baseball Savon's park factor one fifteen for homers for lefties, one oh five for righties. Generally speaking, citizens Bank Park plays better for the left handed bats, especially power wise, and per our friends at Ballpark, Palell about eight to ten mile on our winds blowing out to right center, so the wind is helping the lefties. The stadium already helps the lefties and all the lefties that this competition rake right. So you've got a couple ritings who might have to overcome a couple of deficiencies that the lefties get in their favor.
Speaker 4: Check I cut the field in half for myself. Personally, I view four as legit, legit contenders, and I guess Schwarber's in there too. The guy that is number five for me, like I think Jordan Walker could put together some crazy swings, I don't know if he's gonna win this whole thing. The guy that I keep coming back to but is outside the top four for me is Ben Rice, Like I think Ben Rice can have a really solid showing in this derby, but he's five for me. And the four legit contenders that I feel like are coming into this are Schwarber, Murakami, Caglione, and Junior. I understand that it's more favorable to a left handed hitter, but at the end of the day, Junior is Junior. What we've seen from him and these swings, man, it could be absolutely ridiculous, But I think Kagleiann's a really good shout.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: I think Murri Kami is my pick, but I don't feel really good about that. Well, the model feels pretty good about that. I got a number two, Jack, You and the model you're simulating everything. Wow, how what was he?
Speaker 4: Like sixty five thousand simulations came out to Murakami or no? Like so the eighth number eight on the totem pole. How many of the two hundred thousand did he win?
Speaker 3: Derby? That is a good question, So let me scroll on, Like what was the deviation?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is in terms a good question, like was there someone that was just so cooked? But there's no way because they're all.
Speaker 4: Like Wilson Contreras won fourteen Derbys of the two hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: I mean, phi Philly's fans aren't gonna like this.
Speaker 1: Harper?
Speaker 3: How many did Harper win for the two hundred Harper one. Now I'm trying to give you a percentage. It's like five point five percent. Five point five percent.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's like the it's like SpongeBob trying to pass his boating exam. You needed seven hundred, you got six.
Speaker 3: That's what the coming in coming in seventh. I had Wilson, Cantreras coming in sixth, Ben Rice, then Jordan Walker, and my top four were CAGs, Murakami, Cameron Aro and Schwarber. But it's actually ranked Schwarber number one, Murakami number two, Caglione number three, camon Arow number four.
Speaker 1: It's hard to argue against that. I do like I do like the order there I do. There's I want to go Schwarber, and there's part of me that like I could see it just going, oh gosh, of course it was Schwarber, and we watch him win with the bank behind him, and just it's just this most like I don't want to say predictable, but just kind of chalk situation that would be amazing to see. At the same time, but I also could see it just Harper is like, you think that guy's gonna go down without a fight, Like it's one that I think, like you can't fully value the just dog in that guy and how bad he's gonna want it, Like I think Bryce Harper really will want this bad and I think that part's gonna make it fascinating. And also the part that, like, he's a guy that is just so consistent with his swing, and I just think about an MVP in this kind of setting, he could kind of get into a rhythm here where he's just putting them out pretty consistently. So I do I agree with the top end. I think I'd put Harper a couple of spots up, but maybe that's just because he's Bryce Harper.
Speaker 3: It's so funny. Yeah, real quick.
Speaker 4: I mean, you remember the run that Harper went on in Washington. Obviously he was a much younger version of Bryce Harper at that time when he won the derby in Washington, But like you remember the end of some of his rounds in Washington where it was rinse and repeat identical, like ballflight was identical. He was just peppering it was it was, to Arm's point, like the exact same thing like eight times at the end of these rounds.
Speaker 3: I think what the model is failing to count for is that dog in them? And I think that's what models always fail to do. That's why models every single season when we do our win totals episode arm the Brewers are every year like eighty one and a half, We're like, what, that's why you got to touch grass and watch the game exactly so here. But here's the thing about Bryce Harper, Right, you look at the stack cast outa from this year, like he doesn't have the power that he used to. So we're kind of relying on with Harper compared to the rest of the field, because, I mean, this is a collection of some of the greatest power hitters in all of baseball. And Bryce Harper is having a great season. But he has twenty home runs for a reason. Right, He's not going to hit forty five jacks this year. He's a really, really good hinter, but I wouldn't even say that home runs are necessarily his game at this point compared to everybody else. I mean, I've Ben Rice finishing six and he's got twenty nine jacks this year. Wilson controlls per Ballpark. Powell has the most no doubter home runs. It's the most that have gone over four hundred and twenty feet this year, so and then Jordan Walker, Jack Haglion and the rest. It's like he just doesn't compare batted ball data wise to these guys. It is just it's Harper in Philly. Yeah, so I'm not even really debating you because saying the words Harper and Philly at the derby, I do like it. I did bet him to get bounced in the first round, though, I will admit bounce walkers round.
Speaker 1: Walker's ability to move the bat at just such an elite level. I mean, if not for Junior Commonero, he's the guy that's moving the bad consistently the fastest in Major League Baseball right now, with an average bat speed north of seventy nine. Him and Junior are the only two guys in that department. So that part of it, I think there's gonna be a way that Jordan Walker inserts himself into this in terms of maybe he has one of the longest home runs, maybe he has like a really good round. I just I can't overlook Jordan Walker in this whole thing, and I just think he's going to give you a nice little run, even he might have a just a really good first round, and it's like just he gets beaten by a better round. I think we're just going to see a good showing from Jordan, but I wanted to shout that out. I think Murakami has a chance to do something really special here, and that's where I keep going back to. But soa can CAGs, and so can Schwarber. So my mind goes everywhere, and I think this is going to be one of the most competitive journeys we've ever had.
Speaker 3: I agree, But Jack, what I was going back to the beginning, right, you simulated two hundred thousand times, you drink eight beers and you go to Citizens Bank Park, and they all come to the same conclusion. Schwar bombs Warber at the Yeah, Schwarber at the bank. Because I'm also looking at you know, from even a betting angle, Schwarber is the odds on favorite, but my model says he should be like the definitive favorite, like he's even undervalued because they're trying to balance the odds across the rest. Like I think Ben Rice is even overvalued. I think Wilson Gatreroz is overvalued. I think Bryce Harper is overvalued. I think Jeordan Walker is overvalued. And in most simulations, Kyle Schuber wins it. So I'm going with Schwarber exactly. That met like the guy at the top. See you're the guy at the top right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're the guys. It's the it's the Bell curve. It's the dumb It's the dumb. All lies in the middle being angry the bell curve meme. Everybody in the middle is like, oh, I hate this. There are so many different ways this could go like that.
Speaker 3: And then it's like, no, it's just schwar bobs in Philly. So Kylee s Forwarber is my pick.
Speaker 1: I as much as I want to kind of make the same pick, I really do think Schwarber is is kind of the most likely scenario there. But for the sake of being different different, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go Murrakami here. I think Markami puts on a special show Jack.
Speaker 4: For the sake of copying Orham, I'm sticking with my Murrakami pick.
Speaker 3: I like Murakami. Can I ben on a runner up? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do whatever?
Speaker 3: Junior I think I think Junior is the runner up again. The way Junior backspins Baseball's like that was something that I think I've said that on the podcast now four or five, maybe seven thousand times. Dude, backspins baseball's differently, the batspeed is out of control.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's just did you account for average spin orientation on in your model?
Speaker 3: Every number? Every number, even numbers that haven't been invented yet. Really, I can't tell you. I'd have to kill you.
Speaker 1: I think that. Yeah, I cank got into my head. I'm going Schwarber, but I'm going Marikkami.
Speaker 3: How does how does claude work?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Could you text me a link to this prompt? And I could just like, yes, absolutely, yeah, please text me the link to. I was telling ARM two, like making this model is more fun than actually betting the Derby.
Speaker 4: It's like it's like the people that love fantasy mock drafts, right, it's fantasy mock draft season.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a love it. In comparison though, it's like mock draft is your actual drafter for you're all nervous, but the mock draft you're doing through all these different scenarios that it's so much fun. So I'm going with Schwarber, Arms, go with Mrkkami, Jack's going with Mark COMMI I will pick a runner up as well. I kind of want to go with Murrakami, but I also want to go with CAGs, so to be different, I'll go with Kags as my runner up.
Speaker 1: N nice. Yeah, I think Schwarmrsu Murakami and what could be an all time showdown would be special.
Speaker 3: I hope the bracket sets up that way. I agree, So make sure to go check out the Home Run derby. Obviously, if you're watching the show, you're probably gonna watch the Home Run Derby and also check us out at Other Half Brewing the day after the derby, Tuesday, July fourteenth, at seven pm Eastern. The boys are going to be at Other Half Brewing five dollars select beers. That should be enough to get you out there, but we're also going to be live MB trivia. We're going to be given out prizes. The Marine Layer Pod guys are going to be there at the entire Just Baseball staff. A bunch of people have rsvped already to head out to our event. Again. It's at Other Half Brewing in Philly Tuesday July fourteenth, from seven pm to eleven pm. We hope to see everybody there all right, Arm and I are going to talk about drafts superlatives, and Jack has to go take a flight, so he won't talk about the draft with us, but it's going to be really fun and podcast p I'm curious that we can hear from our friends from Hampton Farms before we talk about the draft.
Speaker 1: The best power hitters in the game pride themselves on swinging hard and maximizing exsit velocity, and they can't do that without muscle. Hampton Farms in shell peanuts are a great source of protein, with seven grams in every serving, America's number one brand of in shell peanuts gives you the fuel and strength you need to attack your day like the pros. Hampton Farms peanuts fun to crack, better to eat, find a bag in your produce atile or take twenty five percent off online at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off.
Speaker 3: Arm Draft superlatives. So, like we said at the beginning of the show, we did a three hour live stream. We went through every single pick with our thoughts, and now we've had some time to kind of sit with these opinions. Right. Yeah, And I'm really excited because we have the biggest winner of the draft, the biggest head scratcher pick, because you made a really good point when we were talking about the topics. Everybody wants to talk about, Oh, this team lost the draft or this pick was terrible. We have no idea. Let's not pretend, folks, that we have any idea how this eighteen year old high schooler is going to develop at the time. Could we disagree is the away from consensus? Sure? Sure, but we're not going to call it a bad pick because we don't know what the team saw that maybe we don't have access to.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest thing. I was going to say, Like, we might be right. I might be right if I don't like the pick, but they know that player more intimately than I do, so maybe there's something they know. So we could say it's a head scratcher. But yeah, I just can't subscribe to like you're the loser of the thing that we don't even have any results yet of how it may go exactly.
Speaker 3: And so we have the best value pick, we have the best fit, we have the most underrated pick. We have the highest ceiling of a player in this draft and also the highest floor. We also have quickest MLB and the biggest boom or bust prospect. So arm let's start at the top. Who was the biggest winner of the twenty twenty six draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta go with it with a chalky answer, and I'm going to go with the team that had, you know, bonus pool allocation that was like the size of the GDP of like a small country. And it's the Chicago White Sox. You had the number one overall pick, but then you also have just a ridiculous amount of bonus pool money. Right, they go out and they make that trade, They trade Jacob Gonzalez, they get the compa pick to add a couple more million, you know, into their bonus pool, to put it over twenty million dollars. What do they do? They go out, they take the number one player in the class or you know what viewed by many as the number one player in the class. Then they go out and get a bunch of high upside, exciting prepsters beyond that where you'll get land and tell me which was like a shoe in to be added to the fold. Of course, son of Jim, tell me cole Prose's a guy that I think a lot of people are excited about and they're gonna have to pay a pretty penny to be able to add Alex Weinngartner, another prepster from Jersey that has tons of upside that they're excited to be able to sign, and again won't come cheap. There's several other prepsters that they took within the first fifteen picks that they are able to use their all time bonus pool, you know, bonus pool value to be able to sign these guys away from college commitments. You have, again one of the more accomplished college bats at the top, one of the best shortstop prospects we've seen in a very long time, and then you've got all of these high upside high school kids behind that that I think is really really exciting, mixing some college pieces as well. But I think just the way of balancing out number one pick in the draft with a ton of high upside prepsters, it's hard to argue against the White Sox being the team that you know, brought in the most talent to their organization. And that's what twenty and a half million dollars can do.
Speaker 3: For you, one hundred percent. And I also loved the pick of Joey Voulsko. He's pitched trut of the University of Georgia. He was one of my favorite pitchers to watch last year in college baseball, and I was shocked to see him go at pick seventy seven. But I also think there was the biggest loser that we didn't mention, and it's Rob Manfred when he mispronounced Rock Chalouski Arm. He's the Commissioner of Baseball and he's mispronouncing the number one pick and what I guess was the number one pick for what the last year, and he messes up his name. Dude. I mean, it's inexcuseable.
Speaker 1: It's crazy because we were at the Futures Games day and they put up like a highlight reel like we're just promoting the draft in the recent picks, and like very obviously, they didn't show the one to one pick. They went straight to like the number two pick, which was you know, him saying, here's Grady Emerson or whoever it was like with the number two pick, is Grady Emerson. The fact that for the remainder of time now, like any Rock Cholaski edit that the White Socks do, or that any team does, or you know that the league wants to do, and it's so classic. You always see like where it all began, right with the number one pick and it's Rock Chowlaski, and then it goes into the minor leagues and the majors and you see the whole progression, like we've seen those types of edits with Bobby Witt and all these different guys all the time that you can't do that beyond that. And obviously Rock was thrilled. He saw him get so emotional and it was just a special time for him regardless. But dude, this is the most special, like one of the most special days of his entire life, maybe the most at this point for him. And you're the commission Major League Baseball. The only thing you have to do is just pronounce his name. Right. It's just like a basic human right. We have just to pronounce our names, right. I think that is one of the most embarrassing faux pause I can remember the commissioner of any sport in a long time, and it may not seem like that big of a deal, but this was like the obvious one to one candidate, and if it didn't go one, you he was going in the top three picks. Has he never said his name once until that point? What? What happened? How does that happen? I think it's inexcusable and to me, like, I can't think of a justification for it other than Manfred just didn't care.
Speaker 3: I think that's the biggest blunder since the twenty twenty four All Star Game when that woman's saying the national anthem. Remember that was that the frigging no. Do you remember when the woman was intoxicating?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she was not, she was Yeah. That was bad. That was bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think that is the biggest blunder since then on the public stage of an MLB event.
Speaker 1: Better or worse than calling the World Series Trophy a hunk of metal.
Speaker 3: I think it's the same. It's just all garbage. It's just all horrible looks for everybody.
Speaker 1: I think it's worse.
Speaker 3: It might be worse. I mean they're all bad. It's like they're all zero out of tens the number one, they're all zero. Yeah, it's the number one pick. I don't know what. I can't believe they did that or Rob Manford did that? All right? My biggest winner was also the White Sox for basically everything that you said. When you have the most bonus pull money, you pick number one overall, the fan base goes wild. That's the biggest winner of the draft. There were plenty of other winners. A lot of teams had really good drafts. Was there any that off the top of your mind, Like, I'm sure the White Sox were the biggest winner, but there was plenty of winners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I loved Oakland or oh, I love the Athletics draft. You know, Drew Burris slipping quote unquote to eight might sound crazy to say slip, but I just I just love what he's able to bring to the table. And I think he's a guy that you should have won a couple of picks earlier so to be able to get him. And then Mason Edwards to grab you know, the lefty there at the forty seventh pick, and then gave Gackle, Like, I just love their top three picks a lot. I think Roman Martin's a sneaky guy that they got in the fourth round. You know, it's kind of a little bit shocky college guys, but I think all guys that they were very happy and fortunate to have kind of like and where they landed. So I really liked the Athletics draft, and I even thought, you know that the Brewers as always like they're going to have and we're gonna talk about them a little bit more because there's some overlap here. But the tray Evil fit is cool because you know, his brother Brady is you know, really been tearing it up in the Brewer system, and I know they love him Strasneider will talk about a little bit later we but to be able to get him in the second round a knack with their fifth round pick was exciting. I know there's several other picks that Tyler was really bullish on as well. The Brewers always do quite a good job. But it was funny going through it. You know, every team's process has just become so refined that you can look at every draft and kind of understand what they were thinking, how they were approaching it, and you know, kind of get behind it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And sorry, I just got thrown off a little bit because my computer is about to die. Folks were in Philly. You know, things are a little bit messed up. We're trying to give you the best live stream possible. But before I plug in my laptop. Let's talk about the biggest head scratcher, biggest head scratcher in this draft, the pick that just made you you don't understand. It's not like it's a bad pick, because again, I don't think any of us can call anything a bad pick at this point. We already talked about that. But the move the draft pick that just made you go, what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know like he could age really well. And I would venture to guess that the I know that the the Royals love Zion Rose, and so maybe there's something there that that they see and and I mean I what I do see with Zion Rose at six overall is he's one of the better bat to ball guys that we saw in this draft. My concern is, while he's a good athlete, there's not a ton of defensive value yet. I think there's there's some some hope that he can maybe move over to center and give you value there. But my concern with Rose is as good as he is back to ball wise, I don't know how much confidence I have in the consistency quality of contact. Wise, he's not as good at being able or to consistently pull the ball as you'd probably like to see, and I think that limits him some. I think that results in a lot more like inside out swings and then you probably want to see. I do have some concern that it's just gonna be an uphill battle for Rose compared to some of the other guys that were drafted in that range to get to that three plus war plateau. He has tools, I know, the makeup is lauded incredibly well. People really like what he brings to the table. He's obviously a winner, Like there's a lot of intangibles to like. But when you look at what the Royals did after that, because you imagine that's a big savings pick, Like a lot of people thought that the Royals may get Rose with their thirtieth overall selection, there wasn't like that clear, clear, clear cut, you know, overslot guy that I think compensates for I rab was a good pick. Like there's a couple other guys that I know, you know, Tyler had mentioned, we're intriguing, like Kendon Johnson. I'm sure he's going to get an overslot deal. There's a couple other guys that you could look at and say are probably going to get an overslot deal. But at the same time, I don't know if there was that clear cut man they were able to snag him like they were able to get you get by him down to the fourth round. Like you google the Red Sox. What they do is Shaffner. There's a couple guys that they bought down that I think made it make a lot of sense with the Royals, at least at this present moment, I don't see that to make it make sense to go Zion Rose at number six when you had some of the guys that were available on the board, including you know, like a Drew Burris or an Eric Booth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I think that is the answer. But if I were to get a second pick in there, I think I would go with the Mets taking Carson Wiggins. And basically I'm looking at Tyler Jennings, who does such a great job again at just baseball dot Com made a big board of three hundred and thirteen prospects, and with the twenty seventh pick in the draft, the Mets drafted Carson Wiggins. He is ranked one hundred and forty third on Tyler's big board. And it's not me necessarily just looking at the big board and seeing the biggest difference. It's also like this guy pitched at Arkansas and he's mostly a two pitch guy. He's got this buzzsawv of fastball. He's got a great fastball, there's no doubt about it. That's I'm sure what Dave Stearnson company saw and said we can build off that. Right now, he's kind of working with a fastball that's in the upper nine. He's even touched one hundred miles an hour and a really really good slider. However, he only sometimes will toss in a curveball, and he has major command issues. So you're talking about a guy who has huge reliever risk in the first round. And it's not reliever risk just because he has command issues, but he has four pitches. It's double reliever risk because he really only has two pitches. And I just felt like at that part of the draft again, it confused me. Could he go to the Mets and they turn him around completely, They give him one or two more pitches and they will find the command and that fastball really plays up and he ends up being a steal Absolutely. But at the current moment, looking at Tyler's Big Board, ranked one hundred and forty three. Watching him at Arkansas just be inconsistent and the command was not there, knowing he has two pitches, I was surprised to see him go again twenty seventh overall.
Speaker 1: And I think another part of that equation was that the health side a little bit clearly the Mets, who have let medicals stop them from signing their first round pick in the past. We'll see what happens here, but I'd imagine that they're gonna They're gonna sign Wiggins. Yeah, they clearly feel okay about it. There's a fun temple to start with when you've got the heater. But I agree with the time that he's missed with the lack of polish. Overall, the Mets see something, and you know, with pitchers especially like things changed so quickly as you alluded to, so it could make sense quite quickly. But at this present moment, I do agree that it could seem like it may not be the best value at this point because I also know that that Tyler didn't love the Robbins pick either, and so it's like, if you didn't flank that with a pick that maybe made it make sense. If it's a savings pick on the top as well, it can become a little bit more of a head scratcher, exactly.
Speaker 3: Let's move over to the next one, which is the best value pick in the draft? Right? You know, we could dive into the fifth and sixth round, but I'm sure we're likely going to be focusing still on the first couple of rounds unless you want to go deeper. But who is your best value pick?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: We're looking at was this guy draft in the second you thought he should have gone to the first, you know, signing bonus everything. Best value pick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's probably Sawyer Strasneider just lent into the Brewers where he did in the second round. With Strasneider, I just I feel like there's a very exciting skill set here. There's a little bit of concern that he may swing and miss, but now you put him in this organization with the Brewers that have just done such an incredible job at developing hitters, and hey, you think about that fit too. We're gonna talk about fit, but just in general, you're getting a guy that I thought was a top twenty player in the class, and you could make a case was maybe a top fifteen player in this class. I thought was one of the more exciting of those Tier two bats, and you get him at sixty six. I think that's a really good value pick there by the Brewers, who just consistently draft quite well. But the bat speed stands out to me. The bats of ball. Again, there is some with concern, but the contact right was right there with like a Ace Reese and Tyler Bell, And so when you look at it from that perspective, like you got him a lot later than those guys, I think he's a better athlete than he's getting credit for. Might give him some running center, but ultimately I think you play a solid corner the Armstrong. I just feel like the some of this guy's parts are are are quite good, and I was so very surprised to see him slide out of that first round. And I do wonder if maybe the Brewers was able to buy him down a little bit there with the evil pick at the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna get two best fits soon. And I really love the fit with sort of show center with the Brewers because I think there is hit tool concerns there. Who's pretty good at teaching guys how to hit. Yeah, Milwaukee Berds, they might be the best at it. Right, the way they turned around Andrew Vaughn turned around a number of guys, I mean, right, they get, you know, a bunch of praise and deservedly so for turning around all these pitchers. They're doing the same with the bats, like Garrett Mitchell has been banged up and hurt and incredibly consistent, but he just keeps getting better and better. Right, They've turned around a number of guys. So for a guy with hit tool concerns, with a lot of other tools, to go over to the Brewers, it's hard not to really like that one. My mine is another really good organization with a guy that we talked about at length on the draft stream. That's Bo Lawrence, Bo Lawrence whatever. All I know is he's six for five, two hundred pounds, and he's got a really really smooth swing. He's a prep guy. But I think, and you correct me if I'm wrong, here are the fact that he's an older eighteen, that he's nineteen years old. Do you think that these draft models who are trying to get guys in their organizations younger and younger maybe overlooked him just because in terms of the prep guys he's one of the older players.
Speaker 1: It's it's interesting because, like even then, I feel like, if you're on the right side of of nineteen, it's such a crazy phrase to say you're generally going to be five, but maybe that could bake into it. I do know even a matter of a few months does sway these draft models, generally speaking. But I think that was a heck of a grab there for the Dodgers, and I had him as my most underrated pick because there's kind of an overlap there, because I mean, when with Laurns, you're getting somebody that is six foot five with a great feel to hit, that already has shown improved athleticism, which you don't typically see for a guy that's that lanky and big for his size. You just see like the awkward baby draft thing. Instead, you have a really smooth swing and a guy that's continued to develop and move his feet better on the left side of the infield. Probably gonna play third base, but looks like he's gonna have a chance to stick there and provide some value there. And then you think about how much power he can grow into with such an easy and smooth swing as he just continues to fill out and yeah, just kind of generate a little bit more whip and this could be a very fun combination of hit and power. And you talk about an organization that can help maximize that, I think you're gonna Seelronce be able to get a lot more out of his base and just to tap into more juice in an organization like the Dodgers, who is just just consistently helped their players.
Speaker 3: Do that, Dodgers getting value picks. I bet it's making everybody in the YouTube chat just squirm. Thank you everybody joining live here on YouTube. Hopefully you guys enjoyed the draft stream yesterday and you're currently enjoying this dream. The best way to support this dream for absolutely free, all we ask just smash the like bundon and subscribe. And if you're listening after the fact on audio, best way to support the show for free is to leave a five star review. All right, let's get over to best fit. So a player like we've kind of already talked about some of these guys where you know, it might be a profile that has a problem, but they go to an organization that's the best at fixing that problem. Arm who's your best fit of the draft.
Speaker 1: So for me, I want a little bit different from that path because I do have a couple of guys I didn't kind of fit that mold, and like Strasnider is one of those. But in terms of the best fit, I just thought about like kind of needing each other. And I go to Jackson, Flora with the San Francisco Giants, and you have a Bay Area kid. You have the top right hander in the class and the top pitcher in the class comfortably, and you have a Giants organization that really needs pitching help. I mean, and we talk about not really drafting on need shore, but like when you think about the fit and what he brings to this organization immediately, we just put out our Giants' top fifteen prospects and they have two right handed pitching prospects in the top fifteen, both are at low A. So when you bring in a guy that could kind of immediately you get assign him straight to the Texas League to double A and just watch him overwhelm hitters. Also, the fastball is clearly plus, the sleeper is gross, and he has two variations of that breaking ball ones that a little bit harder as well. That looks like it's gross, and then you have a kick change that's developing as well. I mean, he's just comfortably going to be the best pitching prospect in that system. And their next best pitching prospect is a righty with a nasty sweeper and a good fastball and Kinder Martinez, but again he's at low A. So I love what Flora brings there as a Bay Area kid, and I'm sure he's thrilled to be, you know, in that organization. It just felt like both both sides, it just matched up perfectly.
Speaker 3: I love that I tried to find a guy who you know, has a couple of issues, but the team that he went to are going to be able to resolve those. And I thought a perfect example of that was Liam Peterson going to the Cleveland Guardians. Because Liam Peterson watching him at Florida, I was always just perpetually disappointed in him, And I don't mean it in a bad way. It's just because I saw so much talent. He has incredible stuff. If you look at some of these stuff plus models, like our friend Lance Brazowski put out his top arms in this draft and it was Jackson Flora one, and it was Liam Peterson two. And a big reason why is he was noting you know, all the different offerings that he has. You know, his ability to spin the baseball. He's got a great fastball. He just has really good stuff, but the command can get a little bit out of whack right even control within the zone, he's just simply not throwing strikes forget command. Control goes out the window with him sometimes. And at the University of Florida, they don't have the best pitching development generally when looking at some of the top programs in college baseball. So I just feel like it is a guy who could be great and who just brought him in the Cleveland Guardians, one of the best organizations for pitching development. So I was actually curious where Peterson was going to go in this draft because I thought, oh, if he goes to a team that doesn't have great development, I don't know how well it's going to work. But once he landed with the Guardians, if everyone was watching the draft stream, if you saw me smile, that was my biggest smile from the whole draft, because I thought that is perfect. Put him there and the Guardians are going to make him a frontline guy, So I thought that fit was perfect, perfect.
Speaker 1: I like that one on a good shout from coach TK get me a good correction on me Giants double A is not in the Texas League. What am I doing here? I'm supposed to know minor league ball.
Speaker 3: I love our chat some of the smartest people and especially in our discord too. And if you want to continue to talk draft stuff, you know Derby All Star Weekend, everything up until the deadline. It's a perfect time to join our discord again, which you can find in the episode description. But special shout out to our chat smartest baseball people out there, no doubt about it. All Right, So we still have most underrated pick, highest ceiling, highest floor, quickest to MLB, and the biggest boom or bust prospect. But podcast P I think it's a good time to hear one last time from our friends at Hampton Farms Peanuts. So let's talk about the most underrated pick in the twenty twenty six MLB draft. I can go first, Let me go first. Why not let me first? I went with Cam Fluky to the Detroit Tigers, and they might not seem underrated, but here's my take. I think he ends up being the best pitcher from this draft. That's the take.
Speaker 1: Better than Flora.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's better than Flora now.
Speaker 1: No, like you think he's gonna be better than Flora.
Speaker 3: I think he's going to be better than Flora. I see a lot of Tyler glass Now in his game, because first of all, I think he has potentially electric fastball. But the problem is and the reason why he dropped a little bit. I mean, this was starting pitcher one going into the college baseball season, but unfortunately he got injured, came back, was a little bit inconsistent, But we know pitchers, these guys get hurt. But this guy just has stupid, loud stuff. And you see that curveball that is very similar to Glass now, which the one that just falls off the table. But he also has this mid eighties to high eighties slider that I've also seen work really well, and he's even danced around with a change up a little bit. I mean there's potentially four offerings high nineties heater, and he's a big guy extension down the mound. Like I think that the injury and post injury inconsistencies dropped him down the board. But if he came out and had the season that I think people were expecting before the injury. This guy could have been taken number one, not overall over Rock as the number one pitcher in this draft. So the fact that he fell to twenty three, and you look at the numbers two right, the numbers, the surface level era numbers, they don't jump out at anyone. I saw Tigers fans being like, Scott Harris took what a guy with a mid four zra Like what? And I'm thinking to myself, I think Scott Harris crushed this pick. I love Cam Fluke. I think he will end up being the best pitcher from this draft.
Speaker 1: If Scott Harris deviated from prep, a prep hitter with a college right handed arm, I think there's something he's really liking here, and I would imagine that he probably was their best player available at that point. I would just that's pure conjecture, but just knowing how Harris has typically approached the draft and just generally not being an archetype that he goes after as as frequently, I do you agree that this is probably somebody that they were very excited to add. And I think the secondary command is going to be an important thing to monitor. But it's not that the secondaries aren't good. There. The gyro slider looks like it can be a good bridge pitch, and as you mentioned, like the curve ball is a banger. The challenge is those bangers can be hard to land consistently, so just finding he has some more consistency with that will be big for Fluki. It's a long arm action, so you know, it might just be the way he throws and he can time it up, and he has shown the ability to time it up pretty consistently in the past, getting hurt I think really through a wrench in his progress and of course in his draft stock. But there's a guy that could absolutely be a monster, And in terms of upside, it's hard to argue that there's another one, maybe outside of Rojas, because you'reeting a prep left to you throws fuel, but that has more upside. The way, if you look at Flora and Rojas, the next time that has the most upside is comfortably Fluky, and I don't think there's anybody else that's close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I love the pick Fluke did the Tigers, and a reason why I called it underrated is, you know, post everyone's giving their takes. I didn't hear one freaking take about cam Fluki and then yeah, I'm looking at Tigers fans and they don't like the pick. I'm like, what the hell?
Speaker 1: I loved the pick.
Speaker 3: It was one of my favorite picks, So I thought it's underrated for me for based on what I'm seeing. Maybe some other Tigers fans are loving it. Maybe I just didn't see some people also saying that they love it. But yeah, rating fell for me. I totally hear that.
Speaker 1: I didn't really see many opinions at all.
Speaker 3: I love the pick, and that's.
Speaker 1: The thing for me, going back to you know, the player we already mentioned and Bogloran, so I don't want to go too deep into it again. But maybe part of it's because just no one wants to see the Dodgers succeed, but you know, and maybe Dodgers fans in particular probably very excited about this. But to be able to get Lauren's at forty, I think is really exciting. Not often do you get a high school bat with the relatively higher for than most high school bats that you see in the high ceiling. To put in that organization, I think it's just so exciting. I thought he was a top twenty, you know player in this class. I thought he's a guy that could have went in the middle of the first round. So the fact that the Dodgers are able to get him there at forty when you know they're not working we're talking about bonus pools, they're not working with too much. They're they're very limited because of you know, the restrictions that come with spending as much money as they do. Like that was their first selection. And with your first selection, when you got to wait to pick forty and then by the way, you're not going to pick again till pick one thirty two, and then you're not gonna pick again to pick two twenty three, you really are hoping that you're gonna get somebody to land into your lap there. And and also like they're gonna have to make the numbers work because they don't have a big bonus pool and I don't think Alron's is going to be signing for anything less than at least the full slot value there. So I think it's a it was an underrated selection that you know, when you have a class like this, you might they might be able to snipe a couple of players in those later round because if they're the freaking Dodgers and they have so many scouts and they do a good job on that front. But I think with the draft like this, like Laurns can can make or break it in a lot of ways because they just again they have one pick in the top one thirty, and so the fact that it's a guy like Arons that fell to them, I think is it's really underrated at how much he can end up making this draft class.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the highest ceiling. And my answer is going to be quick because I think I've said this one eighty thousand times. I think Von Lackey could be JT. Real Muto with power, with more power. And we were even talking about it on the couch last night and Peyton goes, so you think von Lackey can be a Hall of Famer And I go, I don't know about hall of famer and he goes, JT. Real Muto with more power as a hall of Famer, and then I give him a little smile and I'm like, yeah, I think he could be a Hall of Famer. I freaking love Von Lackey. So Von Lackey again last year hit three ninety seven with a twelve ninety one OPS at the catcher position for the Minnesota Twins, and he was a brick wall behind home plate. You knew when you were facing Georgia Tech you were not stealing a base. Why Von Lackey shuts down running games and he also shuts down pass balls and wild pitches. Nothing gets by this guy. Now, the framing, that's something that's the next point that needs to develop. But over the last five years watching college baseball, I would say he's the second best defense and defender at the catching position behind Caden Bodined. I think he's that level of a defender, and if I think he improves receiving wise, this guy could go win a Gold Glove. And then we get to the offense where it's freakish, freakish baseball abilities, Like I love the way that you were breaking it down where you know what, instead of saying you broke it down, why he's to break it down?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he's just he's a guy that just was a late bloomer in baseball in general, like under recruited and really broke out two years ago and then followed it up with the year that he had this year. And I think the biggest thing is you just kind of see an athlete going out there and just competing. I don't think there's a ton of focus on mechanics, and I think he's refined them a bunch for sure as he's played more. But it's just a really good athlete going out there and just doing his thing. And I think guys he continues to refine the mechanics more and more, it's only going to help him. But you just see the athleticism in the box. It's a huge gather. It gets to like his front foot's almost touching his back foot, but he's still able to just control his weight so well. He's able to hold backside and adjust, and the feel for the barrel, I mean, it's just pretty. It's just so impressive that a guy that again just kind of looks like he's going up there and playing wof fotball has the body control that he has. And I do think there's gonna be some some little things to simplifies he gets the pro ball, maybe the gather doesn't need to be that pronounced. He can find the back hip and coil a little bit more easily without such a big move. Maybe the hands don't move as late, but I think that's part of the intrigue with the von Lackiez. He just kind of looks like he's going out there and playing and making it look so good despite that.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent so I and again I say g Chrumuto, not because because of the defense, but also because of the sneaky speed right stole what fifteen sixteen bases last year for Georgia Tech. Like he's a good runner, he's got stupid juice. He has very similar batted ball metrics to Rockchulowski, who also has stupid juice. And he also has a high ceiling as well, and went number one overall, getting the highest bonus for a number one pick in the history of the draft. And they're very similar. And I think that Von Lackey could end up being a better catcher defensively than Rok Chulowski is a shortstop. And that's not even saying that Rock Chilowski is a bad defender at shortstop. That's not even saying he's average. I think he's gonna be really good. I just think Von Lackey could be a difference maker behind the plate and then the makeup. I think it's Adie Graad makeup. Seriously, He's like one of my favorite personalities I've ever seen, Like the way his Georgia Tech teammates talk about him, Drew Burris when they finally lost that last game and he's speaking about Von Lackey and his postgame presser, and before he could even talk about Lackey, he started choking up about how much he meant to him, like and Drew Burris is the leader, like he said, he's his favorite player he's ever watched, Like Von Lackey, I think is just I'm in love with the man. I'm in love with him, and I'm not afraid to say it.
Speaker 1: So now I do see I do see him as kind of an orc shifter in the way that he goes about his business and as a catcher and the culture you know that just there's all these things that I think you look at and you say, that's it's really exciting to bring this guy into your organization. And uh, just beyond that, even if he doesn't reach his ceiling offensively, with the defensive prowess he has, with the ability to just carry himself at a high level and I think he's going to grow into a really good just just pitch caller, just game manager, however you want to call it. He just seems like he checks all the boxes that you want out of a catcher.
Speaker 3: What about you, who has the highest ceiling?
Speaker 1: I gotta go with with Eric Booth Junior. I think when you have a player like this, where you have an elite runner with plus defense in center field and he's flashed comfortably above average power as well from the left side, I mean, I think this has got to be the highest ceiling if everything comes together the swing mechanics and use some refining. I think there's you can see in the video like there's a little bit of a hitch in the swing. But even with that, his bats of ball has been as good as any prepster in the class. And I think it's only going to improve as that kind of hitch as he brings his hands down lad and and a little bit of a flat path gets smoothed out. You've seen rags of losses that are comfortably above average. He's physical. His dad played football and I think was a record breaking like kick returner in college. You can see the explosiveness. You can see the twitch and you pair of that with impact defensively, the ability to impact the baseball, a good feel for the barrel, and it's like, this guy could be a five tool star if it all comes together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love the pick. And I remember I was running some of my pro comps by Tyler and I was like, is it crazy to say he's kind of like Corbin Carroll? And Tyler goes, no, not really, right if he achieves that ceiling that we're talking about with the explosion at the plate, the ton of speed on the base is the ability to defend the position, But we're talking about ceiling, and now we're going to talk about floor, like who has the highest floor? Mine is simple. I would be shocked if Rock Schwlowski isn't at least a pretty good big leaguer, Like, you know, I think you talked about some of the slight concerns that you have with his swing a little bit. That hitch that he has, isn't that his only issue? I think defensively, he's going to feel this position. He's got a good arm, He's always had a ton of power at every stop he's gone through, Like he's been one of the best players in college baseball now for a while, in you know, only a few short years, he's just done everything that's been asked of him and put up stupid numbers at every stop. Like this is the guy. He's the number one overall pick. I think I'm not saying his floor is Dansby. It's not, because again you never know with number one overall picks, we never know. But I feel like his thirtieth percentile outcomes dance Py Swants and who signed a one hundred and seventy five million dollar contract. And I'm not saying I think Von Lucky is a higher ceiling. I think Grady Emerson potentially is a higher ceiling. But if we're talking about floor, he is a big leaguer, I mean, and I think he's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you defend the position like that, and then you look at what he's been able to do just offensively in his track record. Right, this is a guy that was a top two ish round pick prospect out of high school and then he goes to UCLA and just puts up in a thousand ops in three years, you know, well, above average contact right stand out, EV's a good feel for the strike zone, like he has the pedigree, and he's been one of the more you know, I think I would say well followed prospects in a while that you look at and you just say, you keep putting up these these these high bars for him, and he just keeps meeting them. And that's always going to happen anytime a guy's a legit draft prospecting him aout Dylan Cruz, right, and like Dylan Cruise is kind of a guy that's not reaching his median outcome right now, and even then, I think what we're seeing this year is like, even if he's in his twentyeth thirtieth percent our outcome, he's still going to be a big ligger for a little while. I for a while with Rock Chulawski, he's just you have the track record that he has as a top high school guy going to college, having the success that he's had. And my one gripe, I guess right, the little nitpick that you can have with him is some of the little swing mechanic aspects, and I think it could cause you know, how late the hands have to come back up and where the barrel tips. He could cause a little bit of challenges maybe on stuff in I don't love like how he gets so deep into his base two strikes, But even with all of that, he put up some of the better, you know, contact traits of these top bats in the class. He put up ridiculous eggs, velosities. We saw him consistently slug, and I mean he has the ability to manipulate his swing in his path to you know.
Speaker 3: Make it work.
Speaker 1: Like there's times where he's getting crowded inside and he can just pull his hands in and almost put a half swing and punch a ball still over the wall and left field. There's times where pitches are breaking away and he's a little bit late and he can still just shoot it the other way. And then when he gets his A plus swing off like it is incredibly impressive. So the ability to just just kind of maneuver and manipulate with his swing tells me that I think he can make those little refinements to smooth things out and make it translate more quickly to upper level baseball, because you know he's going to be challenged quite quickly. And then when you are a defender like he is a shortstop, you have a good chance to you know, I think kind of reach that danceby Swanson outcome, which would be a really good player. Like I think that's a really solid, solid, solid outcome. Of course you're dreaming on, you know, a perennial All Star when you take a guy at this one one. But I also think you got a really good chance at just having a multi win shortsot for a long time. There you go.
Speaker 3: Who's your highest floor is?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: Is it rock?
Speaker 1: That's mine? There you go.
Speaker 3: So we still have two more. We have Quickest to the big leagues and the biggest boom er Bus prospect. Talk about what's going on with our friends at Lydd's.
Speaker 1: Got a pretty cool event coming up, Yes, we do, hanging out with Ryan Howard. If you're here in Philly, come on and check it out Monday July thirteenth at ten am at the Lydds Fashion Hall District or the district mall excuse me, Lydd's Fashion District Mall excuse me. There's a lot of buzzwords in there. But excited. Monday July thirteenth at ten am you can meet Ryan Howard. I believe we'll be able to get some signatures, get a picture with him, one of the two. It'll be pretty fun. But I'm very much looking forward to that We're gonna film some content with him. I mean, this is a guy that tormented my Marlins when I was growing up watching him him launch fifty homers. I think this is one of the guys that just kind of channels to the childhood there. So if you're out here in Philly, come meet Ryan Howard, come hang out with us July thirteenth, ten am at the Lydds Fashion District Mall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be a ton of fun guys again Lydd's Fashion District Mall in Philly, ten am on Monday. All right, quickest to MLB Mine again will be somewhat quick. The Blue Jays drafted Cole Carlin out of Arizona State in the first round, and I was looking at some quotes afterwards and they said that he has two October pitches. Now what does that mean? Well, Cole Carlin's a bitcher out of Arizona State. Heater like you wouldn't believe. I mean, this can he he can from the left side. He could rattle it up to triple digits. He's touching in high nineties right. It is a big time heater and he's got an excellent slider as well. I mean podcast p is putting it on the screen. That's him hitting one oh one. You know when he's got this dirty slider again high eighties, is even touched in the low nineties, And I agree with him. And I was thinking to myself, why did they say two pitches for October? And I do remember that the Royals brought up their draft pick as a pitcher, another left who ended up pitching for them in the playoffs. Now, I'm not saying the Blue Jays are going to make the playoffs, but what I am saying is it is wide open and the Blue Jays could also use a left handed reliever. So I would not be surprised if Cole Carlin is called up this season if the Blue Jays need him late, just because he has those two pitches. Right now, I'm just saying, in terms of quickest to the big leagues, I'm calling my shot on that one. He pitches for the Blue Jays this season. This season, I hope the.
Speaker 1: Blue Jays can can kind of nestle their way back in the hunt to make that possible too. So who's your pick for fastest of the big leagues? Quickest of the big leagues. Yes, yeah, I still got to go Rock Scholowski. Yeah, I know it's a boring pick. Again, I just I I look at his skill set, I look at what the way that you're gonna have to challenge this guy pretty quickly. I know people have made the comments, go oh, I didn't hit that well against Friday starters. Whatever, I promise you like, he's gonna be fine. And I really do think like the White Sox hitting infrastructure has changed a lot, and I do think that this is a situation where if there are some slight adjustments to make, like, the White Sucks are finally in a position where I think they can do that. And I think that starts at the top of Showman Derek S. Sherman and what he's done, but all the way down, I do think the White Sox have the infrastructure now to just kind of help a Rock Scholowski make those minor tweaks. The gloves there already so you don't have to really worry about that. And the thing is, like with Rock, I think those final little stretch, like the final couple pieces to putting it all together offensively can happen at the Big League because there's so many different ways that he can impact the game. And this is an offense that bangs, like you don't need Rock to get up there and be a lead off hitter right away. Now you can get up there and hit the bottom of the order, defend, and eventually he's gonna be a guy that's in the heart of your order. That's the goal. But for a White Sox team that you know wants to be competitive and I think can be, it is right now obviously and can be throughout next year as well. Like, that's gonna be a guy that I think they would they would love to have involved there. So look, I mean there's there's some things front office wise, I'm not totally bought into Chris Getz and all of that, But I like Showman. I like what they've done on the hitting side, and I think Julawski is gonna benefit from that because of how close he's going to be to the big leagues immediately, and I think they're going to want to get him more and kind of directly with the Showman more quickly. How he fits in will be interesting. I think, you know, there's gonna be some some things that have to move around, but obviously you make things happen for him, and I think we see him right at the start of next year. I think there's a really good chance that we could see him early next season.
Speaker 3: Wow, let's go to our biggest boom or bust prospect, and you already kind of talked about Eric book Junior, who got drafted to the Orioles, and I still do think there's some potential bust to his profile. I lean more towards boom. I really like him as a prospect, but I think Jacob Lombard dropping to the Marlins was kind of indicative of that profile where it is big time boom or bust. And even Tyler brought him up on the draft stream where you know, he kind of compared him to Elijah Green, the draft pick by the Nationals a few years ago. It was currently kind of struggling in Higa, where it's this guy with major, major tools. I mean, Lombard is a fantastic defender, He's got a ton of juice at the plate. He's even a solid runner as well, but the hit tool concern right, and I think that's what a lot of teams were looking at where he was potentially mocked at number four to the Giants. He was mocked at number five, he was mocked at number six, and I think it was somewhat surprising to see him fall down to fourteen, But then with a guy of his talent magnitude, getting him at fourteen is definitely worth the try. Like generally, I love the pick for the Marlins. I actually think it was one of the better value picks. But this is the guy. If he figures it out offensively with the hit tool, I mean you're looking at a potential five tool player, and if he doesn't, you can be looking at Elijah Green. Yeah, not why I think he's the biggest boom er Bus prospect in this draft.
Speaker 1: I think it's a great shout because I think he's as tooled up as is just about anybody. And that's the exciting part. The power speed combination that you could get from Lombard is nuts. But yeah, the biggest concern is hit tool and that's where you can you look at like a Connor Griffin. And the biggest concern with Connor Griffin was hit tool. Nobody had any questions about the tools otherwise, and obviously Connor Griffin's on a little bit of a different level. But you know, at the time there was some concerns about the hit tool, and that's why he slid a little bit. And you look at Lombard, that is the one question. No one is questioning the raw ability in the up side there. So, yeah, there's a world where he could be an all star level player, and there's a world where he could stop out in the minor leagues. And you can say that about just about anybody in the first round. But I don't think to this degree, and I'm with you, I think this is this is one of the wider ranges of outcomes that you have in the draft. But that's also why you make that pick at six or five, which was still a very big possibility. You're okay with it, but you're you're a little on edge. You're like, oh, this is a wide delta here. But when you have a player like this fall to you, you know, like where the Marlins were able to get him at fourteen, now you're more than willing to take that risk right middle of the first round. That upside You don't often get players are that kind of upside at fourteen, You're gonna roll that dice. But it just seemed like the teams you know ahead of that weren't quite willing to risk the downside for the upside exactly.
Speaker 3: And I assume he was your pick as well, or did you have a different boomer Bus guy.
Speaker 1: I gotta go Justin Lebron.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that's a good one too, Guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this because Justin Lebron is a boomer Bus player on both sides of the game, offensively and defensively. Offensively like he has the tools to be a really productive hitter. This guy entered the season as a potential one to one candidate and finished the regular season and entered the draft as one of the most polarizing players in the class. So we still saw him land to the to the Reds and in the middle of the first round roughly. But I had no idea where this guy was gonna land. And when I threw fewers out to people, you would get answers all over the map. And I can't remember a player like this polarizing in a little bit. And the big part of that is because, I mean, you saw what he did in his sophomore year, and he saw the flashes, and you think, oh, if your builds on that, My gosh, this guy could could easily be, you know, one of the top players in the in the class overall. But with the flashes of excitement. Offensively in the twitch and the bat speed, you saw forty percent whift rate this season on breaking balls, you saw just some non competitive swings against higher quality secondaries. And then on the on the on the defensive side of things, there's all of the tools to be a plus defender and you look at me say, wow, this guy could be awesome. He makes some acrobatic plays and difficult throws of different angles and the range is so impressive. And then other times he's sitting back on balls and just they're eating them up, and you're like, what's going on here? He made eighteen errors this season, And you see a guy with the tools to be plus but booting the routine and you just kind of like hit in your head, You're like, what what's the deal here? In his drafter is ops drops one hundred and fifty points. So that's where with Lebron, like you've seen flashes of what could be a really special player, but you've also seen frustration in both sides of the game. So there's a world where you hit to hit a parlay and it's you know, a well above average bat and a plus shortstop. I think a lot of things have to go right. But then there's also a world where he's frustrating defensively and whiffing all the time against secondaries.
Speaker 3: I totally agree with you. I think Justin Lebron absolutely is one of the most polarizing players in this entire draft. But I feel like, and I know that you know, we already finished all of our things on our docket, but we would be remiss if we didn't talk about the second pick in the MLB Draft and the fifth pick in the MLB Draft, Grady Emerson to the Rays. I mean, you said that this is your favorite player in the draft, So we can't go the podcast, a draft recap podcast without talking about these two picks. Because when we were watching film, you also love Derek Curle. So I want to hand it over to you to talk about Grady Emerson to the Rays at number two and Derek Curle to the Pirates at number five.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I absolutely love Emerson. That's that's my top overall player in the class. And I just I think this is going to be another high school kid that just Rakes. His swing is so advanced for his age, but he's also I think has more juice in there than he's getting credit for it. He reminds me so much of and there's no relation but Cole Emerson, where the field to hit is just stand out, it's just natural. And then the two some kind of variables are how much power does the ultimately grow into and what's the defense going to look like? And I think Grady Emerson is ahead of where Colt was defensively, but Colt is now proven that he can be, you know, solid everyday defensive shortstop. I think Grady the defense can be trained a little bit more right like he could be an above average shortstop. And if that's part of his game there, then the biggest question becomes how much powers in there. I think the hit can be plus if it's above average you know, power to pair like, it's going to be a very well rounded profile that's going to be difficult to book. A hole in the makeup is really impressive. The way he goes about his business, there's shades of like the Jojo Parker side of things too, where I just think he's gonna hit and hit and hit and with Jojo, you don't have quite I think the range and the quickness that Grady Emerson has. So if you have an above average shortstop with just the feel to hit the power potential that I think is being undersold, I think Emerson has it has the ability to be just above average tools across the board highlighted by what could be just a plus hit tool.
Speaker 3: And when I arrived from the airport, I walked into our Airbnb and all of you guys are sitting around and you got your laptop open, and I said, what are you looking at. You're like, I'm watching Derek Currila hit and I was like, what do you see? And You're like, he's so hitterish. I love this guy, and then he ends up going number five overall. And during our draft room, I look right over at you and I'm like, they took your guy. They took your guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just in a class where there was just kind of unknown and like the outside of the rock Emerson Lackey tier at the top and yeah, you can maybe shadow just Eric Booth in the ceiling, and I think you could throw Buris in there. But outside of those guys, I think there's like Okay, there's a little bit of swing and miss. Here's this guy gonna hit enough. You know what kind of defensive value are going to are you going to get? Curriel looks like you can give you above average defense and center and this might be the best bat to ball guy in the draft. And I know the contact rates like are are probably really similar to like his ion rows. But for me, Curriel's bat to ball is going to translate to you know, more hits, at least at this where the swing is more geared for you know, I think loft to all fields despite him not being a big power guy. That again, I think he can go get it in center field and you're seeing him at least be what I think could be an above average defender your pair of that with just such a good feel for the barrel, it's tough to beat him inside. He can shoot balls. The other way, he can I think, surprise you with a little bit more thumped than expected. And if he's able to sneak out eight to ten homers with the ability to split the gaps all the time both ways, spoil tough pitches, feel for the zone and just overall feel for the barrel. This is such a high probability big leaguer with the ability to stick in center as well, that I could totally understand why the pirates said, Hey, he might not have the ceiling as some of these other guys, but we'll take him at five and be happy about it.
Speaker 3: So that's our draft recap, and we didn't talk about every pick, but if you're curious our thoughts on every pick, check out our YouTube channel. We did a three and a half I think it was three hours and fifteen minute live stream where it's arm, it's myself, it's Tyler Jennings, is ahead of amateur scouting here at Just Baseball talking through every single pick. So and because I love you all, I timestamped that entire three hour thing so you can even score right to your team's player. If we didn't mention it, I thought we got through a ton of picks and this one I had a lot of fun. Hopefully you did too, and I hope that everybody in our YouTube comments section did as well. The best way to support the Just Baseball Show is to make sure that you smash the like button and hit that big red subscribe button. And for all the audio folks leaving a five star review is the best way to help out the show. Before we end ARM, let's quickly shout out Other Half Brewing are event on Tuesday for the All Star Game again at Other Half Brewing seven to eleven PM, five dollars beers. Folks coming out with us. Drink five dollar beers. Then you get MLB trivia and prizes, watch the Alctar game together, come on down and then on Monday, we're doing a meet and greet with Philly Starr Ryan Howard at ten am. And that is Podcast P. You're going to have to put the graphic up. I just forget the name of this mall. It's the Lydds Fashion District Mall, Monday at.
Speaker 1: The Fashion District Mall. But I keep reading the sentence Lidd's Fashion District Mall too, and I keep saying that.
Speaker 3: What we do know It's Monday, July thirteenth at ten am the Lids store at the Fashion District Mall in Philly, Meet and greet with Ryan Howard. Special shout out also to Podcast P for brilliant producing once again for arm Layton. I'm Peter Apple. We'll see you live here on YouTube one thirty pm Eastern on Tuesday, we're going to do home Run derby recap Ulstar game preview. We'll think about something else, but until then, with that, thank you for