Speaker 1: Welcome to the No Dunks podcast series Squad, the show where we draft teams like we're the general manager. The only catch that very specific draft pool we're working with. I'm jay E Skeets here in the Classic Factory aka the war Room along with my rival GMS. We got Tasks, we got Trey, we got the man making the magic hap in JD and our fifth GM. Today, our special guest is the reason for today's episode. He's the New York Knicks beat reporter at the Athletic. He's returning to No Dunks for the second, maybe third time. I'm not sure. It's Fred Katz. What's up, Fred.
Speaker 2: I'm so thrilled to be here. I've said to you guys, I think on this podcast and definitely off it that this is my favorite basketball podcast of all time. So I am thrilled to be a part of it. And I am so thrilled to talk about fruit. Right.
Speaker 1: Oh well, it's a crazy part. Yeah. Today's draft theme inspired by the numerous conversations that we had with Fred in Vegas over summer League. We're talking fruit, We're talking Harry Potter characters. We came up with a few more, but today's squad. Fred, we are drafting what we're calling the Fredkatz Pack. How do you feel about this honor?
Speaker 2: I feel I feel really honored. I will say, I don't know if I love the idea of pack. When it comes to fruit, there's some fruits you just don't want in a pack. Need them fresh, you need them out. You don't even want them in the fridge, let alone the pack. You want them out and a bowl. They're gonna lose ten to fifteen percent of their flavor for every hour that they're getting cold. Like, I'm not sure I'm into pack. I think we need a better, a better word for it, but I'm into the concept.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not drafting. We're not just drafting fruit. Fred, I know you want to.
Speaker 3: We had that discussion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but we have no categories.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, wait, we're just drafting for you. Guys can draft whatever you want, whatever other category we take. I'm just bringing up Guama, Okay, we do.
Speaker 1: We do have five different categories to draft from. In the first round, we'll be drafting the best fruit. That was quite a topic in Vegas with our guy Fred Katz. In the second round, we'll be drafting the best Harry Potter character. Pretty self explanatory. Again, my favorite moment for Vegas Trey Kirby and Fred Kats yelling about Harry Potter characters in a bar in the third round. Cool grown up guys. Stuff. Yeah. In the third round, we'll be drafting a New York Knicks legend, obviously inspired by Fred Katz on the Knicks beat. In the fourth round, meow, we'll be drafting a famous cat. Now, these can be real feelines, cartoon characters, historic cats. But I would like to say, like I would like to say, right now, get out of here with your tiger play or your puma play or your lion play. I think we got to draw the line there. How do you feel about that? Fred?
Speaker 2: I feel I feel really good about that, because what you can't you can't bring. You can't bring like lions into can't can't draft Simba exactly, just defeats the spirit of.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, everybody's nodding, everybody's.
Speaker 4: You gotta want to be able to pet this cat.
Speaker 3: And catwoman.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: But I do think I do think we need to get creative on it. I don't think we can just go like house cats like, No, we're talking famous cat, I think like, I think like drafting Karl Anthony Towns is in play. You know what about Jamal MC? You can go for it.
Speaker 1: And in the final and fifth round, we're gonna draft fake names okay, also known as like pen names, stage names, the old nome de plume. This random category is inspired by the fact that Fred's real name is not Fred. That blew our mind when we learn that, So we'll talk about that a little bit later. So yes, fruit, Harry Potter, characters, Nick's legend, famous cats, and fake names. The rules to this we always do the official no dunks rules. All five of us will get the number one pick in one of the five rounds. We're gonna draft our squads. We're gonna debate our selections, possibly make a trade or two. It's been known to happen. It makes things terribly confusing, but if you want to trade, throw it out there. And in the end, listeners and YouTube subscribers, all of our watchers will ultimately decide who has the best Fred Katz pack aka fruit bowl or what do we call it?
Speaker 4: Produce?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, okay, Cat's basket.
Speaker 5: Although Fred Fred in Las Vegas had his fruit in the hotel room ice bucket.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yeah, yeah, well, game, they don't want to regggerate your fruits.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: They're not exactly giving you a nice fruit basket for ambiance in your hotel room. So when you're a huge partier like me, and you spend your first night in Vegas going to Whole Foods to buy the cheaper version of aluminum foil so you can properly wrap your sandwiches to go to the game, and you happen to pick up some bananas and some pluots and some peaches while you're there. You want to have a nice little ambiance when you get into the room, and the best thing that you can do is the ice bucket. So I washed out the ice bucket and put some fruit in there, and you know what it was. It gave a really a really a really nice nice vibe upon entering the room. And they were they were delicious.
Speaker 1: I know what you're thinking out there, everyone, Yeah, Fred Kats is a monster in things. Guy's unhinged. He's an animal. Okay. We determined the draft order earlier in the week, and I'm happy to say, Fred, you have the rights to the first overall, pick in best fruit. You're on the clock.
Speaker 2: This is going to destroy man. I can't believe.
Speaker 3: This must be hard.
Speaker 2: This is like asking the octomom who you were a favorite child?
Speaker 4: I mean, do you think you could have gone twenty five deep on fruits? Like if we drafted five rounds of fruit with five.
Speaker 1: Not even not even a question.
Speaker 4: I can't get me the big board afterwards.
Speaker 2: Twenty five deep?
Speaker 3: Are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: I go twenty five deep a day, just like I feel like people need like I have like a fruit problem. Like there are people who love fruit. There are people who like fruit. When I say I love fruit and I eat a lot of fruit, the reaction that you normally people says, oh, that's very healthy, and I'm like, no, it's extremely unhealthy. It's so unhealthy. I will eat so much fruit in one sitting, Like I'll just casually just knock out a pack of blackberries, a pack of strawberries, a pack of raspberries, a couple of peaches, a couple of plums, and then I'll just like go about my day and I'll come back later and I'll eat an entire watermelon for no reason at all. It's disgusting. It's a real problem.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna get up and go to the bathroom every five minutes during this podcast?
Speaker 2: No, I think my body, Like really, I think I think my body's done the opposite where it's gotten so used to it actually settles my stomach. I'll be like, I need to settle my stomach. I'm just gonna eat a bunch of high fiber fruits just to settle my stomach and I'll be fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this was difficult picking your favorite or best.
Speaker 2: Yes it was, And I do need to qualify, at least for the audience and maybe for myself, that we are going with the same the same room that we went with in Vegas, which is we're not going like all fruit products, right, Like if I take apple, I'm not getting apple pie, right, it's just raw biting into the Yeah I.
Speaker 1: Think you're getting I think you're getting raw fruit. I mean yeah, right, because you could get into like what you can do with that particular fruit, like Fred said, but I think just like eating the fruit itself. Yeah, that's the way we're going here Vegas.
Speaker 2: Okay, great.
Speaker 6: Way.
Speaker 4: This is what Greg Papavinch was doing when he was Bampit. Everybody knew you were taking web.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Like all the big guys out there, they're all good, but I have no idea what.
Speaker 1: I don't know where Fred's going. Yeah, that's I'm intrigued. No.
Speaker 2: Greg Papovic was actually sitting there being like, you know what, I love strawberries, and that is actually going to be my pick. I considered, I considered raspberries. I love raspberries. The best version of raspberries is amazing. But the problem is raspberries are like John Carlos stand there. They they are either streaking like crazy. You get a good raspberry and it is like nothing else. But the problem is number one, they go bad really quickly yea. And number two they sometimes they're deceiving. That's that's the thing with raspberries. It's you can look at raspberries and be like because it's all about the firmness with the raspberry. You know, if it's firm, you're good, like with a grape like you know, if it's crunchy, you're good, or an orange you know, if it's heavy, it's good like, you're good to go.
Speaker 4: It's like, look, we're not drafting twenty five fruits, but i'mmachining twenty five fruits.
Speaker 2: But with raspberries, the problem is that you can look at them and you can be in the store and you can be like, oh, these are the good raspberries. Every once in a while to get back and you're like, why does it Why is this so mushy?
Speaker 1: It looks so firm.
Speaker 2: What's happening here? And then when it's mushy, it's too tart, and you're just annoy and you kind of you can't even really savor it. You gotta be like, I just gotta get this thing down, and that can't be my first pick.
Speaker 4: To me.
Speaker 2: That's like if I have a later pick that's like a great like high ceiling, low floor wrist that I might want to take, But I gotta go strawberry. It's it's it's extremely consistent amongst fruit, Like like I love nectarines, but you can only get them in the summer, you know. Like strawberries are very consistent. They're extremely delicious. They're actually quite filling. Uh, if you if you throw down two packs of strawberries, you might be full. So I I I I think I'm gonna have to go strawberries, Bananas aren't juicy enough. Oranges are delicious, Mangoes are great, but again a little more seasonal, and and and and. Pineapple is great, but you don't eat the whole pineapple, which means, by definition, the whole pineapple is not as good as the whole strawberry.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna ask strawberry, do you do you slice off the little leafy part the top art or do you just do straight chomped to it? Or are you a madman and just eat the entire thing?
Speaker 2: I straight, a straight chomp. I'm a straight straight chomp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then remove the top or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, straight chomp. I don't have the patience to cut it. I see a strawberry, and I'm like, no, I wouldn't have the patience to slice it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I gotta say, I didn't see strawberry going number one from Fred.
Speaker 3: Now, it wasn't even it wasn't even on my board. I gotta say, really, wow, I knew it was going to be a berry.
Speaker 1: After time, we did learn he tipped he loves a berry, and and he told us the reasons he didn't go raspberry and ultimately went strawberry.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: I love the I love the passionate explanation there, Fred breaking down why strawberry is your number one pick. I think that's going to shock some people. But Tray, you're next up here. Let's keep it going. You have the second pick and best fruit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a big pick. I didn't have strawberry on my draft board either. Task we did have a great time picking fresh strawberries once upon a time, strawberry straight off or whatever. Oh, and they're one, They're good. You did mention my top three fruits on my draft board, Fred, and you kind of took a sidehand shot at one of them. If I'm being quite honest here, you call it a seasonal fruit. But with the number two pick, I'm going with the mango. Oh wow, okay, what a beautiful fruit. From the outside, it's reddish and greenish. You cut it open, bright orange. Yeah, it's pretty, very pretty. You can get a weird mango, no doubt about it. But I love the way it's often cut, where you cut off one cheek of it, then you do like the little crosshatch thing both ways. You pop it out and it's just like little mango sticks emerging from the r that's so good. And one of my favorite gross things to do is when Laura has perhaps cut up a mango, she's given it to somebody else and she said, here, you want to gnaw on the seed, and she just hands me that slippery, thick seed from the middle of it, tear off a little bit of rind on the outside, and just sounded disgusting. Oh, but it is so good. Give me the mango at number two.
Speaker 1: Okay, Fred, you have thoughts. You already called it a seasonal fruit.
Speaker 2: I do have thoughts. I love mangoes. They're delicious, top top five maybe top three fruit. They're fantastic. It's a good pick. The reason you can't go with the number one is because, look, we're taking viability and practicality into this and mangoes. You notice Trey's language, passive voice, the way it's cut, as if someone else is cutting it for him, Like Trey is not the mango cutter in the households and mangoes are mangoes, And yeah they are so I mean cutting it is a process. It is a pain. And also, yeah, Trey, like when you're when you're sounds like your wife treats you like a dog. By the way on the ground, and it gets when you do that. I agree, it's delicious. I love mango. I agree. It's a top three, top five fruit. It's a good pick, but gets caught in your teeth too much. It does the process of eating mango is is not nearly as good or as easy as just popping in a strawberry.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can't.
Speaker 3: I can't deny it.
Speaker 4: I can't deny it. But look, man, am I cutting every mango in my house?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: Am I cutting the majority of them? No, but probably the third. Don't act like I'm not cutting mangos, okay. And when it comes to pineapples, it's the complete opposite. I'm cutting most of the pineapples, but I'm not choosing it because I gotta cut it usually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't, Okay, So I'm up. I'm up with the third pick here. I can't believe pineapple is still on the board. But you guys are almost talking me out of it, because, yeah, look, it's a it's a bitch to cut. You've gotta work for it. I have a question before I make my pick, though, how do we feel about ap because do I get all apples in the apple selection. Is that like all varieties, or at least you know your common ones. Get them all, then I I cannot overthink it. Then I have to take apples numbers.
Speaker 6: I thought you were gonna say, like as if pineapple was a type of apple, and you get.
Speaker 1: With the third pick in best fruit. I'm taking apples after you confirmed, I get basically all of them. Because what I love about this there's an apple for everyone, crunchy, soft, sweet, sour. I mean you want to talk about a widely consumed fruit globally is I mean we got proverbs about.
Speaker 4: Proverbs.
Speaker 1: An apple a day keeps the doctor away. I'm going with. I'm going with the the apple here, and I love Just for the record, I love a honey crisp. I love a macintosh. If you get the right macintosh, that's a good apple. Let's get crazy with the granny smith. Every once in a while, give me a little tartness, so I'll take apple.
Speaker 3: Are you peeling him?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, no. A lot of nutrition in that uh, in that skin.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 1: I do like to eat an apple with a knife. That's fun. As if I'm like a whittling away, you.
Speaker 6: Know, on the porch especially.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, okay, apple off the board. Pineapple is still there.
Speaker 5: Need to clarify, pineapple still on the board. It is, yeah, it is family.
Speaker 1: Everybody's talked about it, everybody wants it.
Speaker 4: Nobody knows the scouting report. I haven't seen the medicals.
Speaker 3: You don't know what's inside. You got to do an MRI on a pineapple. How do you pick a pineapple? Fred? You just pick one pineapple.
Speaker 2: Pineapple is weight as well. Pineapple is like an orange. The way the way you do it is if you have two oranges. Oranges are color and weight, and pineapples are color and weight too. And it also depends on when you want to eat the pineapple right, because you might you might want to not eat it for two days and then you could just let it, let it ripe in it, ripen it home, and you might be okay. But it's all weight because the heavier it is, it means the more juice is in the fruit. So all those fruits with like the peels that you're not gonna eat, you just want to go on Other than bananas, you just want to go on weight because the heavier it is, the more juice it is.
Speaker 1: The only the only reason pineapple is. Slipping is just the you know, the preparation, because.
Speaker 2: Like pineapple is, it's the most flavorful it is.
Speaker 3: It's almost too flavorful. I'd say, Oh.
Speaker 4: Wow, you can get a little bit of like a hurting mouth that you eat too much pineapple, like too much sweets. Yeah, definitely, and if you and if you cut it a little too shallow, you're definitely getting your hurt mouth from the pokeys.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, here's here's the problem with pineapple is it's not just that it's difficult to cut. It has to be perfectly cut to be an enjoyable experience, because not only are you slicing off the skin, you also have to cut out that weird hard inner center, which for some reason was created by the fruit gods. I don't know why that's there. It's totally just it's just terrible and you have to estimate on where it is, and you can get pretty good at it. But every once in a while you have a little bit of that hard inner center and you get in your mouth and you're like, h yeah, damn ruined that.
Speaker 4: When I got that core, I'll no, and that like a corn cup.
Speaker 5: Pineapple bone. Yeah, I literally, I can't eat too much pineapple. And that's why I hear with the fourth pick, there's no way I'm taking I need I need high volume. I need something that I'm going to want to eat a lot of pineapple. I'll have I'll have a little wedge, but that's about it. So get out of here, pineapple. This is very difficult. I know what JD's taking.
Speaker 3: With the fifth pick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, I do, Okay, Yeah, I was in on those fruit conversations in Vegas. I I urge you pipe in and uh, because that's where I'm beering right now. I honestly can't believe bananas on the board.
Speaker 3: Uh when when.
Speaker 5: Talking about watermelon, that's a high volume fruit like I could eat, you know, because it's all water. You could eat a whole damn watermelon and still be happy. Watermelon feta doesn't get much better than that.
Speaker 2: But I'm going tiny.
Speaker 5: We eat fruit for the juice. There's nothing juicier than a peach here in the South. I'm taking a peach. Ideally, I want.
Speaker 3: A small peach. Yeah it's a that's a homer pick.
Speaker 5: Ideally want a small peach because I want to throw the whole thing in my mouth, and I want to suck on that pit. That's one of the benefits. Just like you're eating that mango board whatever you call that thing.
Speaker 3: Is that a pit? The mango seed is it? It's a seed.
Speaker 4: I think it's called a seed, but I don't know. It feels like a pit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, part of yeah, the peach, the peach part of it.
Speaker 5: I'm a little scared to bite into a peach, getting those fruit drips. That's that's scary. But yeah, there's there's a lot of benefits, but there are some risks with a peach.
Speaker 3: But I'm I'm.
Speaker 5: Happy to throw that in there and like Nat and nine two, I'm going to the peach pit. I'm having to have a good time sucking on that pit. So give me a peach.
Speaker 2: Wow, as long as you're not going to the peach pit after dark and they're good, that would be too much. I need to ask why peach over nectarene?
Speaker 5: Yeah, great question, really great question. Do I almost feel like I should get nectarene with a peach? Okay, I'm not being I'm being greedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's greedy. That's greedy. You can't because because because the the fuzzy versus unfuzzy. That's what is such a huge difference. They we can't we can't allow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, sometimes in the mood, I'm in the mood for a nectarine. That's a great question. I just want to be able to sing peaches, peaches, peaches.
Speaker 3: So many songs, so many picha songs.
Speaker 1: Okay, peach off the board, JD. Is your selection still there? Do you take pineapple? Where are you going?
Speaker 6: Pineapple still on the board, Banana still love. Yeah, we have most of the berries still on the board. But I'm going with my heart on this one. I'm going for the mighty orange.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: And I know that people are gonna be like, you just lost this draft, but I gotta go with my heart. I listen, you, guys. I'm not that big of a fruit guy. Like if I'm looking at a spread like a breakfast buffet, I'm not touching that fruit salad thing. I'm not going anywhere near the fruit. It's just I don't know, it's too sweet, it's too I don't know, there's never oranges. Orange is my favorite fruit. I did a lot of soul searching last night, and I just came to the conclusion that I just love an orange. And yes there's there like tests, there's drips involved.
Speaker 2: I love the drips.
Speaker 1: The drippier, the better.
Speaker 6: Person stand up and eat it. You know, where a fruit that you have to actually lean forward and so that all of the juice falls down on the ground. That's what I want. The sweetest orange. I mean an orange as a flavor like orange and chocolate my favorite. I know that's polarizing as well, you know, like people are gonna think I'm crazy, but yeah, I'm going orange. Sorry, banana, sorry, pineapple, Sorry watermelon.
Speaker 3: I though you were going cherries.
Speaker 1: I love a cherry.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 6: It's probably my favorite berry. But just for consistency and variety as well, because there are a lot of different types of orange. Well, you got the mandarin, you got the tangerines. I assume tangerines are involved in that. So yeah, yeah, give me but a nice navel orange just from the south of US in Florida.
Speaker 3: You're by Homer.
Speaker 1: Are you good? Are ating?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: I'm awesome at it?
Speaker 6: You nails I got well, you know, sometimes.
Speaker 1: Tough to get into an orange.
Speaker 6: Sometimes I'll take an assist with the little pen knife. But you know, it's the same kind of thing you peel an orange on a peach and just put the segment on the tip of the knife and eat it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's tough guy.
Speaker 5: Okay, fred Let me ask you about the orange. Is it somewhat like a raspberry where it's a bit of a low floor high ceiling, because you can get some bad oranges.
Speaker 2: You can get a bad orange. I like to pick though, because because number one, my least favorite pick is definitely skeates going apples.
Speaker 1: You don't like an apple. That's insane.
Speaker 2: Apples are I think every fruit that we have named I would take over the apple. Apples are a way better pick if we're if we're including like products of the fruit, if we're including apple sauce and apple pie and baked apples and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: I love apple. I think it's the best snack. It fills me up. It's easier than all of these other fruits for the most part in terms of just like get it in your body as quick as you can, quick rinse and boom, let's go, and hell you know.
Speaker 2: Well, the best part of the apple pick is it's portability rating is as high as any other food other maybe maybe higher than the banana. Because if you like, you know, we're going for a walk somewhere and you're like, I'll grab a banana, you still gotta throw out the banana peel, and yeah, you gotta throw out the apple core. But it's a little more of a process. The bananas quicker to eat, and it's annoying to be stuck with a banana peel. Feel ridiculous carrying around the banana peel everywhere, and you tell yourself, like, this is biodegradable, I can drop it, but you just know you're not going to It's so rude, and so you gotta find Now, you gotta find a garbage when you're out. And it's just different with the apple cord. It's a lot of it's it's a lot easier to carry. So I would say apple gets the highest rating for portability. Now I would say orange gets a pretty high rating for portability too. I mean, like, like, what what Little League team doesn't get orange slices? I think I think orange is is a good pick. I think fruit first and foremost should be refreshing. That's what it is like. That's why when everyone goes for ice cream, I'm going for so And the reason why is because if it's cold, it should be refreshing. It shouldn't be all milky and dairy. That's why I don't go near yogurt, because I'm like, why are you not refreshing? And I think you can make a very good argument that the orange is the most refreshing fruit, right up there with the watermelons. It's just super super refreshing fruit. Oranges are are delicious. And by the way, when all of our fruits are worse in like January, ads heading out to his nearest grocery store and getting the best orange is possible because they're great in the winter.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I do love clementine or something like that around the Christmas season. It's a delight. Okay, we got to move off of fruit. I can't believe some big names banana, pineapple, watermelon still on the board. I love it though. Okay, let's get to our next category here again. This one was debated in Vegas the best Harry Potter characters. Trey has the number one pick.
Speaker 4: This one's tough. This one's tough. I know Fred's got views, and it's tough having the number one pick, Like, do you go with your favorite character. Do you go with the hero of the story. Do you go with the greatest living wizard? Tough to say, tough to say? Do you go with the most interesting story? Arc you go with the funniest dudes? I think I gotta go with the whole bron of the wizarding world. Harry Potter is going number one.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, look at Fred's shaking his hands. This was a huge debate in Vegas. Fred, what do you think about Harry Potter going number one in this category?
Speaker 2: Congratulations to the Portland Trailblazers for taking Greg Odin. You've got to be this. This will go fantastic for real.
Speaker 4: So you're telling me you're picking anybody else besides Harry Potter. A child prodigy so good they sent him out of their world. Say come back in thirteen years Harry, And he did, and he started saying Voldemort and people couldn't believe it, and then he vanquished him. Not one time, Fred, eight times. The chosen One came through in the clutch, time after time after time, using basically two spells. He would Aloha, mora you, he would expell he armis you, and that's about all he had. The bag was not deep. But the guy could improvise. He said, Quarrel, I see your faces burning when my hands touch you. What if my hands just keep touching you?
Speaker 1: See you later?
Speaker 2: Voldemore.
Speaker 4: He couldn't come back for an entire year. He had to come back as a diary ridiculous stuff. So, yeah, I gotta go.
Speaker 1: Harry.
Speaker 4: You know, one of the youngest seekers of all time a one time made a snitch. Yeah, he caught in his mouth, So I gotta go. Harry Potter got to.
Speaker 1: Fred, you're your counter to you again. This was a a heated debate in Vegas the idea of Harry Potter. You said, I don't want to misquote you, but like Harry Potter is the worst character in Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: I did say that. In my defense. It was after a few drinks, and I was really just trying to piss off try true, And that was basically and I was. And once I said it, I was like, well, I I.
Speaker 1: Got it, but.
Speaker 2: Oh my GODNA change my mind in the minimal own no way. No, but Harry Potter said, I do believe he's a He's a terrible first pick. There are other players. There are other players, There are other other prospects with better, better story arcs, with better kind of development and growth of character throughout the books. Uh, and and who are more interesting people? I'm not doubting Harry Potter's ability as a wizard, although he is not even the best wizard in in uh in the entire book. Look, here's what happens. Harry Potter vanquishes Voldemort. I know, but you know who? He reminds me of Tass. You're a baseball fan, you'll get this. He reminds me of Randy Vollarde. Remember Randy Vallarde? Yep, Randy Vallarde real, real good utility infielder for a long time in the nineties into like the early two thousands. But utility infielder. You know, you know what? You know what? Randy Vallardi hit against Randy Johnson in his career. He hit over four hundred against Randy Johnson in his career. So are we gonna argue Randy Johnson's like maybe the best left handed pitcher of all time? So are we going to argue that Randy Vollarde is the best hitter of all time because he did the best just against Randy Johnson, who was the best Harry Potter was amazing against Boltimore. The matchup was great. He had all the matchup advantages. Every other jam he got into he was like Hermione, do your thing.
Speaker 1: So it was a weird, weird analogy.
Speaker 2: But I've got money over over oh Harry, Okay, all right, well, Harry Potter going number one.
Speaker 4: Who's the greatest living wizard?
Speaker 2: Dumbledore?
Speaker 4: How many times had he vanquished Boldemort?
Speaker 2: I'm sure Larry Walker struggled against.
Speaker 3: Star Game.
Speaker 1: I do want to see, like, you know, how the great social media team at the Athletic will do, like those cool graphics with the quote, I do want like a photo of Harry Potter and Fred Katz and it says Harry Potter is the worst character in Harry Potter. And I want them just to tweet that out and watch the content engagement go nuts. All right, I'm up next in this category. I will admit, guys, I'm not a Harry Potter sicko. You know, I'm a casual. I've watched I think I've watched the majority of the movies, maybe all of them. Never read any of the books. I assume they're pretty similar to the movies, but uh so so I mean, I know the characters. I got a couple in play here, and I think I'm gonna go with Snape. I think I go with Snape. And I was reading about it doing some research, and I like this line and it summed up how I feel about Snape sort of Within the Harry Potter universe, Snape turned into one of the most discussed and debated characters from Harry Potter. Is he an evil man with moments of good or a good man who has some very ugly characteristics or something more complicated altogether? Is that that checks out?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Snap's VI? Who are you Snape? Are you? Are you pro Harry? Are you anti Harry? Are you good or bad? Are you both complicated character? And I mean it's I go with him too. Because of the movies. Alan Rickman the best, the best actor in the Harry Potter.
Speaker 6: Oh wellable, there's a throughout this series. There are some you know, some of the best actors in the world, you know, but El Rickman on the short list absolutely top five for sure.
Speaker 1: So I am going Snape kats quick thoughts.
Speaker 2: Incredible pick would have been my number one overall pick. Not only not only the best character in Harry Potter one of the greatest characters in the history of literature. Wow, amazing character. You're saying so much death, so so much depth. I mean, this is basically Odin going one and then Duran going so so much depth. You never know what to think of him, and yet you're constantly compelled by him. You don't really know his true motives at many different points, and when you learn them, it's an incredible reveal. Just an amazingly written character. As a writer, you can tell when other writers love writing about people, and I just am so confident that the JK. Rowling loved writing about Snape. Okay, I am so in on Snape. Unbelievable character. Great.
Speaker 1: Great With the third pick in this we go to uh to tasks Harry Potter characters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, also not a hairy heead. But this was an easy pick for me because once upon a time I was slightly uncool. Yeah, I had a shaved head, a bit of a go tee, just like my man Victor Crumb. Yes, yeah, I think if I trained as well, I could be on the national quidditch team as Victor was on the Bulgarian national quidditch team. He was good, he was very Yeah, I think I could pull it off.
Speaker 3: I took.
Speaker 5: I would love to take Hermione Granger to the yule Ball, to the surgery.
Speaker 3: Of eule Ball. You know, cool but not cool.
Speaker 5: So uh, give me the man, the derm strength Champion. Give me Victor Crumb Victory also just a great name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: That's a great pick. Yeah, maybe the best quidditch player on Earth, Wizard Earth?
Speaker 1: Really is that true?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, is Victor still with us?
Speaker 4: I think he makes it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, good, Yeah he's got it be okay good. I wasn't sure. All right, awesome pick. And yeah, you definitely looked like him.
Speaker 3: Just showed a picture for our YouTube.
Speaker 4: When was that you from?
Speaker 3: Was college graduation?
Speaker 1: You somehow look twenty years older in the photo that you were showing us of whatever, twenty plus years ago. It's wild, all right, JD. You're up next here, Harry Potter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, also not a Harryhead, believe it or not, I am a super nerd. Yeah, but never really got into it. I've read a couple of the books to the kids as they were younger, Jackson, Huge, Harryhead, Lincoln as well. I mean I've seen the movies in and out like but and I enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I you know, maybe I.
Speaker 6: Should revisit it. But I'm going to keep this very simple.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And this is just basically I feel like an outsider looking in, much like I do when I'm you know, watching basket ball. So I'm taking Hermione Grangeer. You know, I like somebody who has their shit together. She comes prepared, and as Fred alluded to, she seems to do the bulk of Harry's dirty work. Am I wrong about that?
Speaker 2: She's the smartest, not at all?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so's so She's always got her hand up, She's always there to help, and you know, she is just a heart of gold. And yeah, so I'm going Hermione Granger.
Speaker 1: Okay, Fred, you love that pick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that pick. It's a great pick. I mean I was debating between Hermione and and the guy who I'm now going to take, Yeah, between this, and it was tough because Carmione is so central as the story and a great character. Am I up? You are all right? So you know what, I'm just gonna go with a character who is is not nearly as essential to the narrative as some of the others who were picked, but just made me so happy at every single moment that he was mentioned or in, And you want to talk hard of Gold, I'm gonna go with Hagrid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, just.
Speaker 2: Like if I had to go to dinner with one character from Harry Potter, I think I'm going with Hagrid. Like I think Hagrid could hang in this draft, you know what I mean. Like if you guys were to have Hagrid on, I think he do really well in this draft, you'd have some great analysis like he could he could hang.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He is so trusting, he immediately Hagrid's greatest trait is that he is able to immediately notice who is good and who is not, and he knows everything, and yet nobody realizes that he knows everything. Like he's he's like the best anonymous source ever where you just go to him and it's like, yeah, I'm not even getting it to the g There's some people in the NBA where they're like they're not necessarily the team president, but somehow this this person just knows everything that's going on everywhere, and they're like the whispers. They'll point you around, No, this is happening here, that's kind of Hagrid, where you're like, how do you know this? You're just chilling your house all day you wait for Harry to show up, like how do you know all this stuff? And he just kind of knows it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's got an incredible moral compass. Uh. He's he's great comedic relief. He has so many funny so many funny lines, so many funny retorts. He's got this extremely boisterous and and welcoming vibe about him. I'm going to Hagrid just because I just really like him as a person.
Speaker 1: It's good good.
Speaker 2: He's massive.
Speaker 1: He's just how big is he?
Speaker 2: You can't teach size, gonna be unbelievable in the paints.
Speaker 1: How how tall is he? Like?
Speaker 3: Is he?
Speaker 4: He's a half giant ten feet according to a quick google here eight feet six inches almost Okay, that's yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: I basically I basically just got the guy who's gonna guard we Banyama.
Speaker 1: You know, was there was there love for any other Harry Potter characters? Fred on you on your board, you said Hermione obviously got drafted before you're picked. There anyone else? Like any love for for Dobby or or Voldemort himself.
Speaker 2: Dobby is Dobby is actually a really good character, but he's too small and he's he's too he's too an essential than narrative. Yeah, I don't mean too small. Literally, he is very small.
Speaker 3: Literally.
Speaker 2: Uh, Dobby is actually quite portable, like the orange or apple. Dobby's a great a great character. I don't know like Dobby. Like, Dobby's a little bit of an ass, you know, like he's he's constantly changing, he's backstabbing, and yet Harry is still like, Dobby, you're gonna help me. And then this is also why I'm like, is Harry as smart as everybody says? Because Dobby is constantly bamboozling Harry and here's being like, I can't believe he screwed me, Dobby. And then Dobby's going back and doing one nice thing and feeling bad about it, and then and Harry's like, oh, there's the real Dobby and then he screwed four minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that completely saves his life. Yeah, right, because Harry built that bond. Harry fits with everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, Dobby's a good character, but he's just I don't think he has the weight.
Speaker 1: What about I'm surprised Voldemart is not being selected here? Is he not like the most popular villain since like Darth Vader.
Speaker 4: It's pretty popular, right, He's on the very.
Speaker 1: Very short list of like popular villains. Yah.
Speaker 4: I think Baltimore and Dumbledore obviously another huge snub.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Dumbledore's totally a snub. I think I think if I weren't going with Haggard, I think I would go with with Dumbledore. I I really appreciate a wise man with a beard. It's just it's great. Who can like? Who can like? Who can like? Teach people to see other people's memories and know when people are manipulating memories. That's so badass.
Speaker 1: Do you have Do you have a favorite movie from the Harry Potter series? Fred?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I had to replay them all real quick.
Speaker 2: I have to think. There's so there's so many books. Uh. I love Prisoner of Azka Man.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yeah that's a good one.
Speaker 4: Best movie you like that one? Oh? Yeah, it looks awesome. It's like Alfonso Coron I think is ya looks okay?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our third category here. It's New York Knicks Legends. I have the first pick in this category. I was happy with that because I took one second to decide who I was going with. Give me Walt Clyde Frasier, Yeah, maybe so one of the coolest guys on the planet. I mean, Fred, you could probably speak better this than anyone You're you're nodding away. He's cool as ship.
Speaker 2: He is so cool. So I I it's it's it's the biggest no brainer pick of any draft are gonna do. So, I, as a journalist, will never be like so and so who I cover is a great guy or so and so who I cover I really like. I might tell really positive stories about someone, and you can probably tell if I'm telling this really nice story about someone that I have positive feelings towards that person, but I never say so and so is a great guy, because I remember a journalist who covered O. J. Simpson was talking about how he once said that OJ was a great guy and then we know what happened there. So I never actually say it, so except for Clyde. Clyde Clyde, I'm like that, dude is the coolest. One of the most fun parts of being on the Knicks beat, for real, is that like three or four or five times a year when we around the road, Clyde will come into the media room and just sit down with the beat writers and I'll have dinner with us for like a half an hour in the media room, and he'll just tell these stories unfiltered of the Nicks in the seventies and of like the four or five of us who are sitting there. Clyde probably gets ninety percent of the words in, and we all wish it would be more than ninety percent. He is like exactly what you would hope he would be in a person. He is the nicest, most modest, smartest dude, the greatest storyteller. He's a freaking treasure and oh, by the way, unbelievable point guard. Amazing seven times the greatest game sevens of all time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seven time All Star, six time All NBA, seven time All Defensive. He was a juggernaut on that end. He won two rings. Obviously, member of top seventy five Hall of Famer. He's probably gonna go in the Hall of Fame again, too, won't he? For a broadcaster got in.
Speaker 2: He's the first last last year. He's the first person. He is the first person to make it as both the player and as anything in journalism. Yeah, he's, uh, if you don't count the tant guys because they technically went in as a show individually. Okay, And so yeah, I mean Clyde is he's then amazing broadcaster. I love and and and you know what's amazing, Like he says he used to have a terrible vocabulary. The reason why he speaks the way that he speaks is because he was so self conscious about his vocabulary when he started, when he started broadcasting, that he would like literally read the dictionary and just look for words and find words that he likes. And he has like his whole house is scattered with all these handwritten notebooks where he just he hears an expression, or he hears you, hears he hears an idiom, he hears one word, and he'll just write it down in his notebooks. And then he'll watch games in his living room on TV and he'll practice putting them into games and seeing what he can say and what he can't. Like he says anything he said on TV, he said thirty times by himself in his living room. Like the man is so dedicated to his craft it's unbelievable. And he's seventy eight, and he told me that he has no intention on retiring anytime soon. So like so like he is, and he's still so with it. Oh, I love getting to hang out with that.
Speaker 1: Do you think you could convince Clyde to slip in a fruit and tutin on the broadcast just for you? What's that?
Speaker 2: You'd have to figure out what the move would be?
Speaker 1: Fruit and tin? Okay, we'll think about it.
Speaker 2: That fruitin and tutin would be like a Paul Pierce wheelchair situation. That's good.
Speaker 1: That's good, Fred, Okay, So everybody on board with that first pick. Traser, the legendary guard turned broadcaster, task you up next number two.
Speaker 5: Here, I'm taking his co pilot. When they won the championship, they don't win it without Willis Reid. I absolutely don't win it without the guy who was injured shouldn't have been playing in that Game seven gets announced, So here comes Willis Reid dragging that one leg, literally dragging that one leg in that game seven, and it's one of the most iconic sports moments of all time still now fifty years later. The late Willis Reid gave the Knicks to their first championship along with Clyde, and so I think this was those were the one two for me, done and done, and it was the best four point performance ever. But I don't think they win a championship without that guy doing what he did, even if it was four points to inspire everybody, and Clyde obviously inspired as well. But yeah, Willis reed, that's just one of the most iconic moments, so simple as.
Speaker 1: That good pick. Jd Let's move with some pace here, you're up next.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll keep this brief. This is a bit of a Homer pick. I'm taking Charles Oakley.
Speaker 3: I were no.
Speaker 6: He was on the wraps for three years, he was on the bulls for three years, and he was on the knits for ten years. He got into a big fight with James Dolan, which I love, and we had shots with him, vodka shots, ice cold.
Speaker 3: Now, that was refreshing.
Speaker 6: That was very refreshing. So I got a real soft spot for Charles Oakley.
Speaker 1: Oak How do you feel about those two picks there, Reid and Oakley?
Speaker 2: Fred reads a great pick Oak. I think if you're like factoring in the character and all of that, like he obviously wasn't the best player on those nineties Knicks teams, but he was like the personality. He was the person who most exuded the personality of those teams. You know, So I'm I'm good with it. I'm totally good with with Oakley.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're up next with the fourth pick in Knick's Legends. Where are you going?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if I'm just going with the best player, this one's kind of easy, right, Like, I kind of have to go with Patrick Ewing, who who also has a case is the best, the best Knick of all time. He's he's a he's he's he's one of the best scorers in the history of the team. He's one of the best defenders in the history of the team. He was on two teams that made it to the finals, which for the Knicks that's a big thing. I mean four times, and he went there in ninety four and he almost won it. If he weren't going up against Michael Jordan in the East, I think it's it's fair to say he definitely could have actually had a ring. He was still really good on that team in ninety nine, Like he was still a seventeen point scorer, and he was kind of rickety and in his late thirties, and it was his last good year, but like he was still a legit player on that ninety nine team, the eight seed that went to the finals and lost to the Spurs. He's at worst the best Nick since the seventies. Yeah, and at best the greatest Nick of all time. And I am not going to mention his days with the Orlando Magic or Seattle SuperSonics, but he was an incredible player in an era by the way of just like the best centers that we've ever had, where he's going against Shack and he's going against a Keeam, and he's going against David Robinston. He's going against like these all time unbelievable centers and he's right there with him. So I feel good about feel good about my youwing pick. I think it's kind of the only way to go there.
Speaker 1: You go and Trey take us home here, fifth pick in this category.
Speaker 4: I kind of feel the same way about Fred now that he took Patrick. There's one cool notable Nick left, especially from our time cover in the league. I gotta go with Mellow. Okay, gotta go with Mellow. Played a long time in New York. He scored a whole bunch of points, and he was definitely the coolest guy probably since the seventies to.
Speaker 1: Play for the Knicks.
Speaker 4: I don't have a lot of fond feelings for any of these guys. Yeah, I would have loved to have Oakley because he's been disavowed by the Knicks. That would have been perfect, basically drafting a bull. Other guys I considered would be J. R. Smith, who got fined for untying people's shoes back then, and Bernard King, who told us that it's faster to spin on your heel than it is to spin on your toes.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, which I still.
Speaker 4: Don't actually think is true. But he's the guy that scored a million points in the NBA. I do that every time I'm like in the kitchen spinning around the island. Heel versus tone doesn't make sense to be the he'll feels so weird, but no balance too worked for him, and it worked for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only other name if I didn't have the number one pick, like, I was lower in this with you, Like didn't love a lot of Knicks players, like even Patrick Ewing was probably in terms of how good he was in the Hall of Fame status that he was. I just never liked him. I guess as a player, I did root against the Knicks, but I loved Anthony Mason, good one. I loved Mace for those couple of years there with the Knicks. So he would have been on my short list. Anyone else that you were considering Fred.
Speaker 2: No Ewing was too easy. Anthony Mason's a great pull. Anthony Mason was before his time.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 2: If Anthony Mason played in this era, he was kind of like he was kind of like a Draymond type, right yep, like he he He would have been so great in this era where they would have said, yeah, I don't care that you're you're you're a forward, go handle the ball all the time and average eight assists a game, and we're gonna run, pick and roll and get it to you. In the short role, he'd be a great one. I will add something. I like Trey's pick with Mellow, and I like his comment that he's kind of the coolest nick over the last because I covered Mellow when I was a thunderbeat writer. And you know, I don't know if I told you guys this, you know, Mello used to heckle me when I was on deadline in the locker room, so like I was I was. I was writing for a newspaper at the time, and I had a ten thirty deadline, and I would post up like we'd be in the locker room at ten fifteen getting quotes and stuff. So I'd post up my computer on the garbage can that was right next to Mello's locker in the corner of the locker room, and Mello knew my deadline was at ten thirty, so I'd be running into the scrum getting a quote, running back, putting my headphones in and like typing into my story and frantically trying to get it in by ten thirty because journalists who are on deadline are insane and it's so stressful. And every other game, Mellow would come from behind me and like stick his chin on my shoulder, staring at my screen at like ten twenty seven, and he'd just look at me and say something along the lines of, oh, you're gonna have to You're gonna have to type faster than that, or one time, one time he just pointed it and he's not actually reading it. One time he just pointed a random sentence and he says, oh, that sentence trash, and he loved it. He absolutely loved it. So that very much bolsters Tray's cool argument because he is certainly the only player ever to do that. And I thought it was. It killed me, it was, it was so fun.
Speaker 1: All right, mellow, going fifth there in the Nick's Legends category. We gotta take a break, real quick break. But when we come back, we got two more categories left. Famous Cats and fake Names. Don't go anywhere, all right, Still here in the Classic Factory, having some fun with Fred Katz doing an old Squad episode. It had been so long since we did some drafting. We've done three categories, two or left, and I'm excited about this next one because his name is Cats. We are drafting Famous Cats.
Speaker 3: Task.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the number one pick.
Speaker 5: Gonna keep it simple, stupid, it's not too hard. It's Garfield, not only lasagna skeets. Garfield would eat anything. It sort of goes under the radar. But Garfield loved junk food, same as me. He also loved dessert, same as me. He's getting the best of all worlds. And I recently had lasagna. I don't know why. I don't have it more because I don't cook. But also Lazangni's amazing, so Garfley knew what he was doing. Let's not you guys can get cute. I feel bad for you. You're gonna have to get cute. Maybe maybe a larger cat, maybe a real life cat, maybe a keyboard cat.
Speaker 3: It's up to you. But I got the best one. Shout out to Jim Davis.
Speaker 1: That's a great pick. Garfield going number one. JD, You're up next.
Speaker 6: All right, it was half joking, But could I take Catwoman? How do we feel about that?
Speaker 1: You're our guest. How do you feel about JD drafting cat Woman in the famous cats category?
Speaker 2: I think we should allow everyone to get as creative as possible, but it's got to be like a cat. Like Catwoman is a cat. I can't take. He can't you can't take like like a panther. But Catwoman's she's a catwoman. She's not Panther's. She's not like the Black Panther. You know, among superheroes, you can't take, you can take, you can take, you can take cat Woman. I'm going to allow it.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm taking cat Woman is the best character in the Batman universe, you got some great actors playing Catwoman. Who got Julie Numar, you got Michelle Pfiffer, You've got Zoe Kravitz and the Goat Ann Hathaway. M M yeah, I know, don't at me.
Speaker 3: That's a good cat roster.
Speaker 1: Was Catwoman's you know, powers? Just that she was like, uh, quiet and.
Speaker 6: Like quyat very good cat burglar, a little on the nose and sexiness, I don't know, like a great fighter, a great fighter. She had cat li like abilities. Michelle Pfeiffer had the most. Like she basically came back to life as a cat likes you died and came back to life through cat powers. So I think she had.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So is that famous scene where she has the whip Michelle, Yes, you're seeing that and she like actually does it. She takes off the heads of like dummies and four snaps or something like that.
Speaker 3: It's crazy cool.
Speaker 1: Okay, Catwoman coming here, JD Thinking Catwoman, Fred Katz, Okay, Fred, you're up next here.
Speaker 2: Third pick, All right, I'm gonna go Jinx from Meet the Parents. Good on the smartest cat in the history of cats. Wow, Like like basically a superhero brain like obviously, Jinks famously knows is potty trained, like just flat out uses the toilet, which is which is pretty amazing. But not only that, but but underratedly, Jinks blew up like a whole Aliens scheme that a human came up, you know, like Ben Stiller goes out, loses, Jinks goes out, gets another cat, spray paints the tail, and Jinks is like, I'm blowing up his spot. I'm just gonna go to the neighbors like he out smarter it is he or she? I don't even know ou smarted a human. I'm going with Jinks. Jinx is a great cat. It's one of Jinks is also one of the rare cats who genuinely has a character arc but is actually acknowledged there's nothing more than a real cat, like doesn't talk, doesn't doesn't it's it's just a house cat. And yet they still give Jinks a character arc, like like Jinks is a character not just like the family's cat. So I'm I'm gonna say Jinks from from Meet the Parents, which is a classic, and uh and and and feel good about that.
Speaker 1: I'm curious, do you like cats?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, do you have cats?
Speaker 2: No? But I like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh, I like.
Speaker 2: Cats now obsessed with cats. Don't have cats. Don't need the shedding, don't need the responsibility, don't need don't need the responsibility of having to keep any thing alive. Right, just too stressful. But I like cats. When I'm with a cat, I'm good with a cat.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Jinks off the board tray. Where are you going?
Speaker 4: Yeah, except for Garfield, all my cats are still on the board here. So I'm excited to get my number one famous cat of all time, mister Bigglesworth. Yes, from the Austin Powers franchise.
Speaker 1: Ugly ass cat.
Speaker 4: Once a big white, fluffy cat, that's right until the unfreezing process, and suddenly Bigglesworth is a naked cat. And that was a thing I didn't know existed.
Speaker 1: Until these movies came out.
Speaker 4: We just got a skin cat walking around with an evil doctor. I think I've mentioned on the show before that my second car was a Cutlass Supreme that was called the Shaguar. But my first car was a nineteen ninety Chevy Bretta, and I had a mister Bigglesworth stuffed animal in the back. Dead ladies. Yeah, so mister Bigglesworth for me, zero character arc, but hilarious to look at those cats are those are disgusting?
Speaker 1: There was one where we used to.
Speaker 4: Remember, I just sit on the window. Yeah that's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they gave me the GBS. I mean, I don't really like to begin with.
Speaker 4: They're just gross naked scrotums. Like they're like if Dobby was a real thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I had it on the list to I would say maybe one of the best names of the cats. Yeah, mister Bigglesworth is fantastic.
Speaker 2: It's a great pick. Can we just discuss for a second that Trey referred to doctor Evil as an evil doctor? Is he actually a doctor? I never thought about if Doctor Evil was a doctor, Like his name is doctor Evil? He does?
Speaker 3: Is he? Yeah? He does?
Speaker 2: The old doctor is that's just lowercase. That's that's not a proper noun, right there, he's just an evil doctor.
Speaker 3: At one point he does.
Speaker 6: And now he might have been joking, but he does say I didn't go to evil medical school for eight years to not be called doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. It's a good point. I just I just like the idea of him being an evil doctor, like he's just he's just like a surgeon who steals people's intestines when he's giving those jobs. Right, he's just an evil doctor.
Speaker 1: Alright. I have the final pick here in the famous cats category. Uh, some of them are gone. You guys selected Garfield, mister Bigglesworth there. But my my remaining list it is, uh, Puss in boots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Tom from Tom and Jerry.
Speaker 3: Sure, big time cat.
Speaker 1: And then I got some real cats in play here. I got Grumpy Cat, and I got keyboard Cat.
Speaker 3: Great one cat.
Speaker 1: And I'm feeling musical right now. Give me keyboard cat.
Speaker 7: Give me that little cat. Those keys tickling the ivories. Oh you did something dumb? You get a keyboard cat makes me laugh every time. Yes, and it's been around for a while now. So I will take a real cat in the keyboard Cat. I don't know if it's a male cat or a female cat. I'm not sure. I'm sure there's research out there or.
Speaker 1: A deep dive article on it, but keyboard cat, I'm going with Fred any thoughts.
Speaker 2: I think that's good. The only the only one I considered going with because because it's a basketball podcast, I don't even know. This is definitely not a basketball because occasionally you guys mentioned the sport of basketball. I considered kind of cheating and going with two cats and going with Brooke and Robin Lopez's cats, who who apparently are feuding and don't like each other when when they were when they were teammates years ago, they said they couldn't live together. And I've discussed this with Robin. His cat's name is Zephyr. They said they couldn't live together because Robin and Brooks cats hated each other and they couldn't do that with their cats. Now that they're teammates again, and I have said this to Eric name and now I'm going to publicly call him out. Who's our fantastic Milwaukee Bucks beat writer. I want the update their teammates again. I want the update. Have have Zephyr and whatever Brooks cat's name is. Have they repaired their relationship? Can those two be together at the same time? I want the whole thing. I want the whole feature on those two cats. So I'm really intrigued by the Lopez brother Pat dynamic. So I considered it, but I just thought Jinx was the better the better one but I think everybody made a great pick in this one.
Speaker 1: Is is Zephyr the name of the battle cat in he Man? Or is that Zeus or something like that. I'm curious because I would imagine Robin has some sort of cartoon or comic book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no idea. I talked about this with Robin when he was on the Wizards and I was covering the Wizards, and and he was quite excited when I told him that the Wizards were for one year called the Zephyr's Oh right, yeah, yeah, that's right, yeah, for one for one years in Chicago. And Robin is one of the few NBA players who would like genuinely get excited about that ridiculously useless fact. So he was. He was the perfect, the perfect Wizard, Robin Lopez. And tell you what, Robin Lopez would have made a good pick in the Harry Potter draft till oh certainly would have been picking Harry Potter number one.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to our fifth and final category. It is fake names, So JD again, this is a stage name, a pen name. You know you can have some fun with this as well. This is again I said, inspired by Fred Katz, your real name Fred is.
Speaker 2: Matthew.
Speaker 1: Look at that, Matthew Kats. It's a good name too, But Fred Katz, I mean that just hits.
Speaker 3: It really does.
Speaker 1: So fake names that's what's inspired this weird category. JD have the number one pick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I wanted to pick somebody with the silliest name but with the most acclie and accomplishments. So Fred Katz definitely on the list. Jay Eastkeets definitely on the list. But I'm not going with you, guys. I'm going with Stephanie Joanne Angelina Germanada, also known as Lady Gaga. Thirteen Grammys, one Oscar, three brit Awards, plush. He's in the Guinness Book of World Records for sixteen times for some reason. I didn't get a chance to look up why. But and also kind of the silliest name, like it's I feel like it's just a dumb name. Lady Gaga is just sort of weird to have when you're, you know, on the Oscar stage, being nominated for an Oscar. I mean, people forget about it. She's part of the lexicon now and that's fine, but it's still I'm like, if I was with Stephanie, you know, back in New Jersey, and she was like, I'm gonna call myself Lady Gaga and I would be like, really, you sure.
Speaker 1: It's a lot like calling yourself j Yeah, exactly two thousands, I understand, I know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but she's a huge talent. Love Lady Gaga's she's my pick.
Speaker 1: Okay, great call, strung pick.
Speaker 2: You guys want to hear a crazy Lady Gaga story?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: So my dad dated a woman before, the woman before he dated his mom, not his mom. He didn't date it. That's a wild story. That's the whole story. The woman before he dated my mom was a woman named Cynthia Louise Bissitt, and she was from West Virginia, and he would constantly reference her growing up, and we would make jokes about Cynthia Louise Bissitt from West Virginia. And he went to West Virginia once and met their parents, her parents, and they only said West by God Virginia. So now my dad only says West by God Virginia because you know, he's a he's a weird guy, and so we've just got to make jokes about Cynthia Louise Bissit growing up, and about five years my dad wonders, what is I wonder what Cynthia Louise Bissett is doing now? So he googles Cynthia Louise Bissit and comes up all these results about Lady Gaga, and he's like, what is this? And and he he figures he made to type something wrong or whatever, so he googles it again and all these Lady Gaga results come in and it turns out the man she started dating after my dad she married and she is Lady Gaga's mom.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so my dad was like one one commitment away from being.
Speaker 8: Daddy Gaga and and what he would have just been taken care of, and instead he's stuck with a sports riding.
Speaker 1: Oh that's incredible.
Speaker 4: Just rising up the draft board.
Speaker 3: For Fred Father.
Speaker 1: Okay, Fred, you're up next here in fake names? Where you going?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I do have a question like how are obviously like Seal is not a nickname, but how do we feel about nicknames that are are are noted as nicknames, but we use them for their guys, like example Big Baby Davis.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see you're saying, I don't know who is it say the pick.
Speaker 2: I'm not you know what, screw it. I'm just gonna say it's not allowed, and I'm going to do my own thing. I will say, by the way, that I was playing black Jacket around one am two am in Vegas at Summer League this year, and somebody comes from behind me and screams at the dealer from like ten feet away, very drunk, but very politely, Yo, can you direct me to the nearest to the nearest gelato shop? And I turned around and it was Big Glenn's Baby Books and just a wasted Glenn, Big Baby Davis. And I was so happy that he wanted the nearest gelato shop at two am on a wends day, because like, he doesn't have an ice cream like two am. He's not settling for that. He wants a quaint shop with just Jolana. I should have. I was so taken aback that I I didn't. I just I just turned to my buddy next to me and said, holy shit, that crack. I will take. I will take Samuel Clemens UH otherwise known as Mark Twain, Uh, the the the greatest writer of all time, the oldest it's probably not the oldest. Pen name or stage name or whatever you're gonna call it, but it's got to be up there amongst at least like modern modern celebrity culture. Yeah. So I think Samuel Clemens is a good one. Everyone knows Mark Twain. I'm sure a lot of people know Samuel Clemens, but no one thinks of Samuel Clemens. No one un ironically mentions Samuel Clemens. So I am I'm gonna go with with Mark Twain. Who's the greatest writer, the greatest humorist. He has my favorite quote ever about writing, when he wrote a really long letter to somebody once and he ended it with I'm sorry this letter was so long. I didn't have time to write a short one. And and I'm gonna go I'm gonna go with with Mark Twain.
Speaker 1: I like to see a real pen name get select. Yeah, in this category. I don't think the rest of us were gonna be on board with that, but we'll see, Trey, you're up next, where you're going?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: My choice here was an easy one, number one on my draft board and definitely not as critically heralded as Mark Twain or even Lady Gaga doesn't have as many Guinness Book of world records. But he rose to the top of my list instantly. Vin Diesel, Mark Sinclair, Vincent. The guy looks like he should be named Diesels, Like I'm going by Diesel forever.
Speaker 6: I thought you were going to say the Rock.
Speaker 2: I thought someone was going to finally draft Boldemort. He's just Tom.
Speaker 4: Tom No going Vin.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people are going to say probably a reach, but especially like he made his life about being a driver.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, no, that's good. Yeah, I almost I'll admit that I forgot that's not his real name, right, yeah, exactly that and and well and then and then you have his fake name in movies that we're always confusing, you know. Yeah, yeah, so that's a double layer there, you get.
Speaker 2: Trey gets the win just because he picked the one guy who when the ice Bucket Challenge was a thing and you were supposed to challenge other people after that that that Vin Diesel did the ice fucking challenge and then challenged like totally seriously, just point at the camera. I named three named three people, name two people and goes and and there's no reference to putin before, like it's just challenging putin. It was really great.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming Putin never did the ice bucket challenge.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that, clar I don't think so. I don't think he did it. Uh, he should have. If Vin Diesel challenges Putin did the ice bucket challenge like that, you have to make it happen. That's I think why Putin has gotten such bad pr.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, all right, I'm up next year, fourth pick in this category. Uh, this was difficult, but I'm gonna go with someone's who reels whose real name is Saul Hudson. Do you know who that is?
Speaker 3: I do know who that is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Give me Slash.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's just a great name.
Speaker 1: A great you know. I guess it is a nickname, but obviously his stage name. I'm going Slash Saul Hudson. And in doing a little research, I found out that actor Seymour Cassell, whose son was friends with Slash, was credited with giving him the nickname because he was always zipping from one place to another and never sitting still. Seymour Cassell, he's the type of actor that you have to see him and you go that guy. Yeah, he's been in like two hundred movies and like television show is never like a big big name. He was in he was Burt Fisher and Rushmore, and he was Dusty in The Royal Tenet Moms. It's that guy. And he apparently gave the nickname to Slash, which again is one of the coolest, like you know, rock stage names of all time.
Speaker 2: So well that's why they call him Seymour, Like that's not even his real name. People are like, I got a Seymour.
Speaker 1: Before, look up Seymour, Like, ah, yeah him, But yeah, Slash is my.
Speaker 5: Pick when you google best pen names or stage names.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's just a cool ass name.
Speaker 3: Mark Twain also comes up, So.
Speaker 1: There you go, taking some classics here, Okay, tass, you have the final pick here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I picked this person for one reason and one reason only. He changed his name from Christopher Edwin Burrow b R E A U X I assume it's pronounced bro to Christopher Francis Ocean because he wanted the name Frank Ocean. So you know, there's two steps. So Frank Ocean he wanted. He wanted to be born Christopher Francis Ocean, so he changed his damn name to that. He didn't didn't just go, hey call me Frank Ocean. Uh So, I like, I like the double step and it's just a cool name.
Speaker 3: Frank Ocean's a great name.
Speaker 4: I think he says he like did the name change on legal Zoom.
Speaker 5: I buy, that's hilarious. That was a thing people were doing and still doing.
Speaker 1: I guess was there anyone else you were considering in this final category? Fred? You know what were you was? Chris Gaines on the board?
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, I thought about Share just because she's so iconically one name. Yeah, I feel like we're gonna you go iconically one name. She's just like, so she's so named that. And honestly, there's some NBA players who have some great ones, like like Fat Lever is a great one. Like Fat Fat Is it's a great one because it's it's not short for his real name is Lafayette Lever, and it's not short for Lafayette. But you kind of see how you can get from like Fayette to fat, you know, and a dude just going by fat is awesome. There are a lot of musicians we could have gone with. I mean, we could have gone with just like Tupac or Biggie or or or Eminem or any of those. I felt like that was that was too easy because there are just like so many share seal like, there are so many musicians to just go by that I felt we had to deviate some. But I love I love the picks. I love the bicks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there it is. Let's recap our squads. Fred do you do you know your entire team?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: I have it if you don't, But recap your squad because again, the listener, the people on YouTube, they're going to decide who has the best Fred Katz team. Here, what's your squad?
Speaker 2: Okay? So for fruits, I want strawberries. For Harry Potter, I went Hagrid. For cats, I went Jinks from Meet the Parents.
Speaker 1: You missed your knixt player there?
Speaker 2: Oh my next player was Patrick Ewing. Yep, and uh this what did we just draft? I don't remember? Oh. For for fake names, I went Mark Twain, Samuel Clements.
Speaker 1: All right, that's a strong squad there from Fred Kats Trey, recap your team.
Speaker 4: I got a mango, I got Harry Potter, I got Carmelo, Anthony, mister Bigglesworth and Vin Diesel.
Speaker 1: Oh great, just great name recognition there with the team. Sorry, I went in the best fruit controversial. According to Fred Katz, I took the apple. I do have a snap. I do have Walt Clyde Frasier as my knixt legend. I went with keyboard cat banging away on that keyboard and gimme Slash as my fake name. Task your team.
Speaker 5: Peaches are my fruit. Very excited about that. Victor Crumb, my Harry Potter guy, Willis Reed, my New York Knicks legend, Garfield, that's my cat and fake name, Frank Ocean and JD your team.
Speaker 6: My team is the Mighty Orange, is the fruit, Hermione Granger. Charles Oakley is the New York Knicks legend. My famous cat is cat Woman, and my fake name is Lady Gaga.
Speaker 1: A lot of female power on your team, JD.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, yeah, sneaky as a great roster.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: If Skeates didn't have Apples, I'd say he'd be really gone.
Speaker 6: Damn it.
Speaker 1: I watched it with Apple.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not up to you, Fred, It's up to the people. So let us know in the comments. I know some of you are in the stream. Team right now. Let us know on Twitter at No Dunk Sync and Fred, thanks for joining us. I had I mean, we had a blast. Hopefully the people did as well. Where can the people find you? What's the best way to stay in touch?
Speaker 2: You can find me on Twitter at Fred Katz for as long as it exists. You can read me on the Athletic I write about the Knicks and yeah, thanks for having me on, guys. I said at the beginning, this is my favorite basketball podcast ever, but the reality is actually my favorite podcast. So I am I am always so excited to come on. As you know, I've been literally listening to you since I was like a chat like a kid, So I'm I'm so excited to come up with you guys always this.
Speaker 1: Is a blast. Well, we appreciate you swinging by guys. We will have a drop podcast tomorrow, so make sure you join us live at ten Eastern. Also, after that Drop podcast, we're gonna try something new here. We're gonna open up some fan mail live on playback, so make sure I'll make sure to include that link in the show notes, but join our playback room. We'll probably go live around twelve pm soon after the Drop podcast at ten am Eastern, so make sure you come by and check that out. All right, everyone, let's hear your picks when it comes to these five categories. Let us know as well, and we're doing Clipper bros. Yeah, well sure, why not Clipper brose. You heard it here first.
Speaker 2: Have a great time, turn up, Love you guys, awesome.
Speaker 5: Thanks for joining us. And remember, as the great fred Fred Katz once said, somewhat regrettably, I think he said, Harry Potter is the worst character in Harry Potter.
Speaker 1: Embrace the day, people,