Speaker 1: We gotta wear every single round. You hear me, Drake Man, this is what great you see it?
Speaker 2: Robinson got up litterard and got up all lady got up, You got up?
Speaker 1: Do it.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another episode of the Art of War Today.
Speaker 1: I got a man as my guest to it.
Speaker 3: Very special to my heart is my trainer, godfather and the twenty eleven Boxing Riders Association Trainer of the Year and one of the greatest minds in the sport of boxing.
Speaker 1: And y'all been asking for want a Welcome to the show, Virgil Hunter Bean, what's up baby?
Speaker 2: How you b baby?
Speaker 1: Man? I'm good good, I'm give you got your You got your Stevie wonder thing going on? Man? With the tent, what's you got going on?
Speaker 2: Actually it's a blu rays Okay. Yeah, So they keep everything calm, the quarters all down and things like that. I found out that it works that sleep real good at night. Now.
Speaker 3: See that's the age when you start getting older, you start going more for comfort and functionality over over.
Speaker 2: Well, it takes skills to get old. You know what I'm saying. You can't. You just can't help harbor on one thing. What you did in twenty you can't do in fifty and so on and so on. So it's all about preservation. You got a roleo trying to be here. Oh I wear it every now and then. Yeah, yeah, just to keep it click moving.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm back in the gym. Man. This is uh, this was home.
Speaker 2: For many many years for the house that you built.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's I remember me and me and me and my wife. Man, we were looking for gyms because we're training in Oakland.
Speaker 1: And we just had a lot of uh, you know, there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Traffic coming in, especially as we started really growing and I became a champion, we needed some private man, and looking at all these you know, industrial buildings, and man, we we built this from the ground up, from the mirrors to you know, put the mats over here, heavy.
Speaker 1: Bass, feed bags, equipment.
Speaker 3: Man, we didn't have some great moments in this gym, man. And man, it's good to be back. And I just want to take you know, normally I do you know, I have my notes and I do my thing, and you know, I just I just want this today to be just more of a conversation with us, just kind of kind of talking and vibeing just about the history and how we got to this point. You know, I think it's a lot of things we can talk about that would bless a lot of people and just get people insight to the journey.
Speaker 1: You know, they see the fight night or they see the.
Speaker 3: Interviews, but they don't really understand exact a lot of the process.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: So I want to I want to go back to I think it's ninety five.
Speaker 2: You know when I.
Speaker 3: First met you a US karate in box and it was a karate school and a boxing gym in Hayward, California.
Speaker 1: And my dad was in there and you.
Speaker 3: Were in there that day, and I was hitting the heavy bag. Man, what's your what's your earliest memory from that moment.
Speaker 2: Well, I was in there working out myself, and I had finished and completed my workout and I was sitting on the side of the ring and I just heard a little pop over in the bag. So I happened to look over and there you were standing there, a little kid hitting the bag, and every now and then you turn around and look at me, and I died my head and approval like that, and at that time didn't think much of it. Was just a kid in there. You know, I don't know why my attention was averted over to where you were. I don't know why I just nodded approve. I don't know why eyes met, but they met several times. So that's my earliest recollection. I believe it was ninety four because you were ten years old. You were born in eighty four, right, yeah, so I think it was ninety four. You might have just turned ten. Yeah around that.
Speaker 3: Time, man, and this you know that day my dad, you know, you had a conversation with my dad and I was actually training with another trainer.
Speaker 1: At that time.
Speaker 3: It was that the guy we call it the house trainer person, the guy that trains most of the people that come through the gym. But the style, my dad didn't like.
Speaker 1: The style.
Speaker 3: It was a style of take two punches to give one. And my dad was you know, he boxed as an amateur in high school in San Bruno, California, and he liked to dance, you know, in the ring.
Speaker 1: You know, he was an Ali fan.
Speaker 3: And y'all started talking and he said something to you, said, man, I want to teach.
Speaker 1: My son how to hit and not get hit.
Speaker 3: And you you told my dad, you said, that's my specialty.
Speaker 2: Well, we got into a conversation. I think your dad was watching me work out. He felt comfortable approaching me, and he says, look, I have my two sons here. They want a box and everything like that. He said, I'm not really happy with who's training him right now. So my question to him is, well, what are you looking for? What do you want? What do you want you to get out of boxing? He said, well, I've always been a big Muhammad Ali fan, so I liked that idea hitting and not getting hit. And I said, well that's my specialty.
Speaker 1: Man. It's crazy. I thought about this recently.
Speaker 3: Just that conversation alone and my dad having that type of vision right saved me from.
Speaker 1: So much punishment.
Speaker 3: Like my quality of life today is what it is because my dad wasn't one of them dads.
Speaker 1: I was like, nah, man, you gotta.
Speaker 3: Make him tough, you know, just making tough, getting in shae and teach him how to fight.
Speaker 1: I want him to fight. If that was the case, I don't know where I would have been.
Speaker 3: Mentally, you know, physically, because it just would have been a hard role. Because I was kid that had drive, I was competitive, so I and I wasn't you know, I wasn't scared. Just that one conversation saved me from so much punishment in amateur boxing and proboxing.
Speaker 2: Well, it's definitely a spiritual journey that you can deny. Uh, The introduction was spiritual because you if you remember, I told you later on. During that time, I was going through a little mild depression because I thought I had a son that I was initially was working with and he was taken from me. So I cared about him so much. I loved him so much. I was going through a depression, a mild depression. I was coming home every night pouring a shot of Tanga ray or two, smoking a couple of cigarettes. This was a ritual every night, even though I wasn't a smoker, even though I wasn't a drinker, which was the deal with what I was dealing with. It really hurt me so but I just snatched away like that. So I went to the gym to stay in shape, try to keep my mind intact, try to keep my spirits up. And you know, that day happened. That day happened, and from that day on, I knew it was for a reason. I just knew it it's something deep down. It was for a reason, long before everything manifested itself, long before the potential showed up and everything. I just knew it was for a reason because I also was training kids at the probation Department, and I would get them real good while they were locked up, and then when they would get out, they would come to the gym and they trained three or four months. But eventually, you know, the home situation, the money situation, the peer pressure, they would always go back to the street. So I kind of got fed up with that, and I made myself a promise. I said, if I ever start again, it's gonna be a young kid, young enough, but the temptations are not there yet to where I can give him a foundation that when the temptations come, he'll have something to fall back on. He won't go across the line. He might tow the line, but he won't go across the line. That always stayed in my mind from the beginning, you know, and then you had the support that you had, You had your father, there's supporting the situation. So I needed that situation too. I knew that you were taking care of that, your needs were being met, so I didn't have to worry about you l leaving the gym and then it got to go to the block to make some money so you can eat that night, or go to the block that morning so you can buy some shoes for school. I didn't have that worry, so it allowed me to relax and gradually I began to heal from the depression because your presence replaced all of that. Man, it's crazy cause, like you know, my dad, I had my father there, me and my brother. He was raising us as a single parent, and then we had different mothers.
Speaker 1: So Jonathan, my brother, h his.
Speaker 3: Mom was doing what she was doing, and then my mom was fighting an active drug addiction. So you know, we had stability, but we also had some instability too, you know, and we didn't understand everything.
Speaker 1: That was going on.
Speaker 3: But you know, it was good because once we started locking in, you know what you and Millie, you know, your wife for those that don't know, you know, we were able to go to your house sometimes get my dad a break, and then you know, we was going back and forth, so we ultimately ended up losing our house because my dad had to go back into a drug program.
Speaker 1: You know, it was a good fit for us to go and stay with y'all, you know, but.
Speaker 2: It was always in the plan. You know, when you see the plan unfold, then you begin to realize why I was in this plan, because long before you came to stay with me, you were staying over, spending the night, and would take you up to the country and we would go to Santa Cruz. We would do a lot of different things together. And you know, I was giving your father a break on the weekend because I know he worked hard in his business and things like that, and a lot of times you were telling me, you know, man, I got to stay home today because Dad's tired this and then and there and the other. So merely fell in love with your guys right away. My wife the only person that I know, only woman I know that would take in two young boys like that. So when that time came and your dad came to me and he said, look, you know I'm gonna have to go into this program. I'm gonna have to let the house go. The thing is is where I'm gonna have Andre and Jonathan, he said, because I talked to my sister and they say, oh, maybe a week or so. It's good, and things like that, and you know, so I told him, I said, they can stay here. They used to be in here anyway, They spend the night all the time. They used to be in here, so they could stay here and not you know, so that's what happened. I think he told me that you guys wanted to stay with me, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we really didn't to be The truth is, we didn't really have no other options.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I know, you know, don't.
Speaker 3: I don't fault nobody for that, because you know, you got a ten year old, eleven year old maybe it's twelve and thirteen at that time, somewhere around.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot. It's a lot to just get that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get two boys like that put in your life from monetary standpoint, needing.
Speaker 2: Your food, like buying your clothes.
Speaker 3: But the truth is is you and merely were there really the only option that we had.
Speaker 2: But that was the only option meant to be, you know, spiritually, that was the only option meant to be. Because I understand this to be a spiritual trip, a spiritual journey. I'd look at it that way. That's the only way I can look at it. I can't deny, I dispute it, so everything was just in place, step by step, brick by brick, you know, layer by layer, everything was in place.
Speaker 3: The world never got a chance to meet my father, But what what was your earliest memories of him?
Speaker 2: I felt your father was a man of principle, and in spite of our struggles, we can have principles. In spite of our struggles, we can have character. In spite of our struggles, we do have genuine love in our heart. It's just sometimes our struggle can override that and we question it sometimes. But what's There's gonna be there. Sometimes you can get diverted by other things and other activities that are going on. But in this situation, he gave you a foundation, a foundation of respect, a foundation of caring, a foundation of intuition, a foundation of comprehension. He gave you all those things so when you came, it wasn't like you had to be programmed into those uh categories every there. It was already existing. So it made things a little easier. You're you were able to communicate.
Speaker 1: Man, My dad was big on respect.
Speaker 3: My dad was big on you know, doing things right, looking people in the eyes, shaking they hand.
Speaker 1: You know, we start using slang. Hey, man, what would you say?
Speaker 2: You know here?
Speaker 3: Correct us, Like, that's just who my dad was, man. And you know, I even look at my mom. Ain't my dad? You know, as I've gotten older, you know, when you're young, you start looking at what your parents didn't do or.
Speaker 1: How they could have did it better.
Speaker 3: But when you understand the beast uh the sixties and the seventies, you know, like they didn't know what they was getting theyself into experimenting with them drugs.
Speaker 1: They were just looking for escape.
Speaker 3: M We're looking for a hide to party, and it's like boom, you know, an addiction came in and then you carrying that thing into the next.
Speaker 2: Decade to the next decade, you know.
Speaker 3: And I just I've been able to have more more understanding about that and more grace and mercy just understanding that, you know, like even my mom being in and out of my life. Yeah, that that that was a wound. That was a mother wound. And sometimes I still gotta fight to this day.
Speaker 1: You know. But I know it wasn't intentional. I know it wasn't on purpose, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: No, I don't believe it was on purpose. Again, when when you're confronted with a situation like that where you have something so powerful and mind altering and at the same time it gives you eupharia. You feel your pharia when you're able to forget your problems and everything like that. You're gonna gravitate to that. Only if a cigarette is able to make you forget your problems and you your fork and you happy with everybody, you're gonna gravitate towards that. And at the time that you're gravitating toward it and getting the fulfillment of the eupharia, you're not thinking about the long run that euphoria goes away now all of a sudden, you need it not to get sick, you needed just to function. So it's a double ed sword.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like they didn't know how the long term cost, They didn't know the long term consequence of heroin.
Speaker 1: No, you know, but by the time you figure it out, it's too late. It's too late.
Speaker 3: Back to the gym in the boxing, man, it took so you and my dad, like y'all didn't lit me fight right away. You know, I was in that gym getting battle tested with and Anito Denier, a great Filipino fighter.
Speaker 1: His brother Glendon him.
Speaker 3: A lot of people don't know him, man, but he was a beast and he's older than me, stronger than me.
Speaker 1: But we were the same size, you know, because he was a Filipino.
Speaker 3: I had to like get through him and get battle testing with my brother for that whole year some change before I even had my first national Why was that important for y'all to make sure that I was battle testing before I had my first fight.
Speaker 2: Well, when I first started putting you in with Glenn, of course you're the same size, but he's three or four years older. And Saraphene at the time was coaching him. So you're not gonna take no mercy on you, right, So he Sajapen, was the.
Speaker 3: Coach that was originally training me at the gym before I went to Burge.
Speaker 2: He would just pound on you, but you would keep your hands up and you just move and run all over the ring and stop and then move and run again. And I just watched, and I remember your father coming up to me and he said, Verge, I don't think he got it right. I just don't think the kid got it. I said, just be patient. I said, he got to learn how to defend himself before he started attacking people, right, I said, it's something I'm waiting on right now. So every time, I don't know if you remember, every time Glenn with Atlanta a real big punch, I'd stop it, yep, I'd say stop, that's enough, right, the saraphene would get mad. And we went through this four or five times. Right, you just move around and ra ain't more on. Boom, that's it, stop it, right, And then one day it happened and you said, I'm okay, Verge, I'm okay. That's what I was waiting on. I was waiting for you to say I'm okay because I realized that you have to have the trust in me that early on. I'm not gonna let you get hurt. I'm not gonna let you get beat. I saw the competitiveness in you, so winning early on when you did start boxing was very important to me because I knew it was important to you because I saw the competitiveness. And even then you had tears in your eyes, but it wasn't tears of it was tears of anger. You know, why is he doing this to me? I can't you know? And if you remember when you told me that. I said, Okay, we're gonna work on just one punch. I said, because every time you stop, he's so confident. You're not gonna throw nothing. He's not gonna protect himself. He's gonna look at what he wants to hit, and when he does that cracking and move again. And we started doing that, and then pretty soon two pieces started landing, and then within two or three months they didn't want to spark no more. It developed that quick, it turned around that quick.
Speaker 3: So it took me about I probably had like I don't know, ten fights, you know. My first fight was San Jose, California, San Jose Pile Samuel Rosco. I still talk to him to this day. And I lost my first fight. I thought I won that fight, of course you won. Yeah, and I visited I think my third fight. So I had about ten to eleven fights, and then I had my first big national so I won the local Silver Gloves and I won state that I won regional.
Speaker 1: So I'm ten fights, eleven fights.
Speaker 3: He in Lenexa, Kansas at the Silver Gloves nationals. Man, I was crazy. That's the first time I ever seen snow. Being from California, I ain't know what snow looked like. And you know, it's an indoor hotel, and I'm green.
Speaker 1: At that level.
Speaker 3: I've never been at that level, so I would be you would be like you go, you stay in the room, but you would be downstairs at night with the coaches, you know, and uh, everybody bragging about that guy you had, you know, Uncle Dre from New York, you had Detroit, Philly, you know, Concrete Jungle. I mean it was some real hitters, you know, from these different seas Ohio. And I ended up battling my way through the tournaments, like five day tournament. But the dude on the opposite side, Curtis Stevens, were on opposite brackets.
Speaker 1: I didn't know him.
Speaker 3: And I said this in my book, how you know at them nights when you and the coaches was hanging out, Uncle Dre was like, man, that's my nephew.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: He grew up on a Mike Tyson's doorstep. Like what was some interactions? Like, I mean, you got young kids in the room that night, they finna rumble, like, but y'all.
Speaker 2: You know adults, Well, you know, when we first got there, I of course watched everybody that was in your bracket fight, and Curtis stood out right away because he was knocking kids out. I mean, that's first time I seen a kid knock another kid out, just out, you know, and seriously out. But I saw some other things that I knew that that was his only hope. It was the land of punch. But at that time I used a lot of psychology. I don't know if Drave remembers it or not. We've talked about it and laughed about it.
Speaker 1: In the workout room.
Speaker 2: Curtis was in there hitting the heavy bag and I said, man, this is your kid. He said yeah. I said, boy, he could really hit, you know. And Andre, because he's so nice and cordial, you know, and such a genuine person, he responded to me to where a genuine person would not suspicious. He his coach. He just responded to me to where a genuine person would And yeah, coach, he's a killer. You know, he's knocking out everybody this and that. And so I said, well, man, I said, my kids fight seemed tomorrow night. We just glad to be here, you know, we you know, we were just lucky we got this far, so we glad to be here. So I want to congratulate you now, so and left it at that, you know, but I already knew and I beat him and you beat him.
Speaker 1: But the power was real though. He can crack, yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Some dudes you fight, you feel like they got bricks in their hands, like even if they grazed you or they partially hit you, like dang, I don't gonna.
Speaker 1: Get hit with that clean. Well he was built the punch, yeah, stocky, blow.
Speaker 2: To the ground, yeah, strong, thighs strong, he was built the punch. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I you know, I won that tournament and went you know once you I think that was that was at one hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: I think it was that was.
Speaker 1: I'm the best in that weight class in the nation.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: So we come home.
Speaker 3: You know, you got newspaper, local television. So my name is buzzing now locally man, and I continue to do my thing. But like even when I started sparring, right like, I'm getting thirteen now a little bit older, fourteen, Now I gotta spar pro So I'm sparring vets, local vets in the area and guys that come into town. So I'm rumbling with older men. They can't keep up with my speed. They're getting embarrassed, but they also got the strength on me, so they're trying to bully me, to hit me on my hip. And you know I used to come back to the point of man, man hit me on my hip. Man many many you foil me and you say, make me stop. Why did you let me at thirteen fourteen, fifteen years old spar those type of guys.
Speaker 2: Because I knew you had the ability, And you have to remember, before I would let you sparre to anybody that old, I would observe them sparring. So I knew outside of them, he and you were a lucky punch on the button that it was gonna be tough for I'm I already knew that because styles make fights, and at that time your style had matured to the point. And you have to remember you did have the physical strength because after you won the first tournament at ten, you were granted a scholarship to sports Metas. You didn't even have to pay, so you had the benefit of getting all that work, all that body in the condition at early age don chrue.
Speaker 1: So you were strong.
Speaker 2: And that was two or three years of that, and actually we never stopped. We went there three days a week. We never stopped. So you had the benefit of years of strength and condition and the right type of strength and condition and not waiting anything. Parliamentrics, follow balls and things like that, that speed treadmill and things like that. So I knew that the strength was there, you know, maybe not man strength, but enough for sparing. So I was very confident that and it turned out to be true.
Speaker 3: And my brother, like I think my brother, My brother was built like Tommy.
Speaker 2: Hearns exactly with feet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had natural good footwork. He had a lot of ability. Sometimes I say, I think he had more natural ability certain things he could do. What do you think the difference was between me and my brother? Even even early on.
Speaker 2: Desire he John liked to participate in boxing. He had the buility. I mean, people forget John when he quit fighting. I think he was fifty six and six something like that and international champion. But he didn't love it. He didn't love it. And that's what you have to do. You have to love it. There's no other way. You just can't dibble that. And you can go so far liking it, but in order to really put in the time, in order to really get the benefits out of it. In order to really follow your dreams, you have to love it. And that was the difference. As soon as he got home, he was down there watching cartoons and things like that when you got home. That's another thing I noticed about you at ten, liz Or. He watched fights all the time, all the time, and it didn't matter who was fighting, Ham and Eggers. What was the hispanic channel? You have Telemoon though Tuesday Night Fights, USA Tuesday Night Fights. You watched every single fight, So that let me know early on you were a student of the game. So I knew you were getting it up here as well as everywhere else physically.
Speaker 3: What did you notice about cause you been in a propation apartment, You've been in juvenile hall for years, you'd work with you know a lot of fighters, You've been around a lot of fighters.
Speaker 1: What did you notice about, Like.
Speaker 3: My drive, my competitiveness, my just my desire to win, and even my desire to train hard cause I worked hard even as a kid. Like what was you noticing early on twelve thirteen fourteen.
Speaker 2: Playing basketball with you that I knew that you were an athlete even though you weren't a basketball player. You could play basketball. So I if you remember, we used to go out there all the time because when I could feel your strength, I could feel your desire, your tenacity just kept coming. You never gave up. You never gave up. And I used my experience to beat you all the time, right, but you never gave up. So I knew the tenacity was there. I knew the drive was there. And I remember one particular session where you fighting the pro. I think he was like thirty and two or something like that, I can't remember his name, and you guys was going at it and his coach said, Saraphienie said do you want to stop? And you said, I'll stop when he stops, right, So I knew that the drive was there, that that was gonna be hard to knock over and make you compromise the drive that you had.
Speaker 3: So the next so you got the silver gloves. The next big tournament is a JO. So I remember my brother, he's a year older than me, so I think.
Speaker 1: You took him to the jail.
Speaker 3: He took him to the JA, the Junior Olympics, he made no marquette Michigan.
Speaker 1: Me and my dad were back home, so we calling every night. What happened.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: So he lost. But I remember you said something on the phone.
Speaker 3: You say, man, this this is the most violent tournament I have been to. For y'all's age, I never been there. I was like, for real, and man, that's put the fear of God at me.
Speaker 1: That Then I remember I ran that night. Uh.
Speaker 3: You were staying in Hayward and I ran uh down the street round mission like I was just kind of spooked, like man like he said, Man, I'm seeing dudes get knocked out. I'm seeing dudes get clit. I ended up fighting the next year at the j O's and that's the first time I ever been buzzed, like really really visibly her. I remember I fought the dude I forgot his name. He's like like Orange New Jersey.
Speaker 1: He was telling me that, hey man, he got a short level hook.
Speaker 3: You know, you gotta stop pulling back, make sure your hand up sure enough, man, do hit me with a punch so short inside boom, my legs wobble.
Speaker 1: I recovered, But that was like the first.
Speaker 3: Time that I, uh that really got buzzed in a fight, you know. And I ended up winning that and then I went to Junia Olympic Worlds and I think Pueblo, Mexico or something like that.
Speaker 1: I won that and.
Speaker 3: The try I hadn't started getting in trouble yet, you know, I think that came a couple of years later.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: But when did you first start noticing that some stuff was going on with me in terms of like, you know, being in the streets or cutting school, smoking weed and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't entertain it too much, you know, while while we were together. Of course, you know, you moved, and I knew that the environment, yeah, where you was moving too, was gonna subject you to some things the environment, So I.
Speaker 1: Start tripping a little bit before I before I had moved.
Speaker 2: Well, no, what I did was it was inedible that you was gonna move. And I think that you deserved to move at that time, because you know, it was with your mom, and I remember that. I don't know if you remember, were sitting on the steps the night before you left, and I told you, I said, you're gonna go downhill from here. Yep, I don't remember if you t me.
Speaker 1: Saying I was mad too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said you're gonna go downhill from here, cause at that time you are Honor Rolle's student. Yeah, going to school every day and things like that. But me having all those years in the probation department, I knew the enticements and I knew all the things that didn't tell for a kid that's in that particular environment. Yeah, so I was hoping that you wouldn't go to the street. But I was prepared because I told you, I said, no matter what happens, I'm gonna be here for you right that. I was prepared for you to go through the streets. So everything that I would hear coming from the streets and things like that, I wouldn't really react right away because I knew what type of kids you were. I knew that you would go to the line, but I knew you wouldn't cross the line, and that you had something that you built that you couldn't deny. There wasn't no guesswork game. You knew you had ability at that time. Any coach in the world would have took it. Any coach in the world where it took you. So you had that to fall back on. So that gave you a little cushioning to go out and explore and experiment, you know. So I knew the temptations was gonna come because you hadn't gone through temptations, and at that time with the hip hop game and then the draw of Oakland, you know, the Oakland mystique, the draw of it that you gotta be part of this, and you gotta be part of that. And if you whatever hood you right, whatever movement, whatever hood you in, you gotta be down for that particular hood. If you're gonna walk and talk and associate this hood, you gotta be down for it. So but I had already had experience in those situations, so I knew how to handle those situations. But the good thing about it is every tournament you'd come back and train, stay with me, and then you go back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I barely make I barely make that thing.
Speaker 3: I get it just enough good, just enough shape to do six eight weeks, which I disappeared and disappear again.
Speaker 2: So at that time, I wasn't concerned about Andrea boxing. I was just concerned about Andrea man. But I needed an opening to really bring that into focus that hey, you gotta go in another direction. I needed an opening. That was the time to turn it around. Of course, you were going through some things and everything like that, and I constantly remind you, look, man, you're gonna be sorry. One day. You're gonna look up and somebody's gonna be in your weight class, on the team that you knew couldn't beat you. So I would put these little things in your head, that's all. Just put something in your head because I knew you respected me. Yeah, I knew you loved me, and I knew you respected me, So I would put those things in your head. Even on the drinking thing. When your grandmother called me and told me, oh, he's drinking, right, So I didn't call you and say, man, you're drinking and you're drinking, you're doing this? You doing I didn't say that at all. I use the psychology that I learned over the years, because you'd call me once a week, twice said week. You'd always call checking what was going on. So I'll wait until you call. Hey, Verge, what's going on? I said, Oh, Dre, I'm not doing too good man, what's going on? I said? Man, my friend is having so many problems with his sons. What's happening? Man? He keetch His son is just drinking every day, any concerned he can't stop me from drinking. I'm so glad you don't drink.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: So I played to your conscious and I would you talking about man, Yeah, because I knew you respected me, and I knew you stood that I stood on principal, So I didn't That wasn't gonna stop it, but that was what was gonna put a guilt trip on your mind in order to argue. Man, I'm disappointed. If Verge really knew what I was doing, he'd be disappointed. He really believes in me, you see what I'm saying. So psychology is so important on raising the kid and keeping them in the right direction. And I'm just glad I had the battle feeling the battleground to be able to decipher all the right things to need to be said at the right time. You know, man, just take.
Speaker 3: It back a little bit, like so me making that move to my mama's house in North Oakland.
Speaker 1: You know she had been in and out.
Speaker 3: You know, my dad was a functional addict for periods of time in his life.
Speaker 1: My mother was a full blown addict.
Speaker 3: She started getting herself together, right, I'm living with y'all, you and Milly.
Speaker 1: And then I'm like Man, I don't live with my mama. You know, I hadn't. I hadn't. Like that was like the one thing that I never got to feel.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of my friends had they grandmother or they mother and not they father.
Speaker 1: Some of them had both, but a lot of them didn't, but they had their mama.
Speaker 3: And I'll be sitting there, like, man, Roy, your mom in here cooking food and like, you know, man, and I was super grateful man for you and Millie, you know, and what y'all did you know, and what y'all was.
Speaker 1: Doing at that time, But like not having that, you know what I'm saying, it's always gonna be avoid there.
Speaker 3: So that's why I wanted to go go to the flat lands in North Oakland live with her.
Speaker 1: But you told me that.
Speaker 3: You were like, man, you're gonna go downhill, And I'm being like, right cause I wanna go live with my mama.
Speaker 1: I didn't see it.
Speaker 2: I couldn't because you were going to be giving freedom.
Speaker 1: My dad. Wasn't gonna have that structure with my dad.
Speaker 2: And with you, yeah, you wasn't gonna have a structure.
Speaker 1: But the truth is I really didn't want that structure.
Speaker 2: No, you didn't.
Speaker 3: My whole lot of my life was going to school, getting up, going running, going to school, coming home, chilling for an hour or two to the gym, rent and repeat. It's interesting, man, I was. I was asking Roy this when I interviewed him, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think me and you talked a little bit about it at one point.
Speaker 3: But like, can you make a Roy Jones or Andre Ward without having without living that type of life? Because I had to give up a lot of my childhood, and I gave up a lot of trouble that I probably would have got into. But I had to sacrifice a lot. Now forty two, I'm I'm not complaining.
Speaker 1: You know. I see a lot of my friends.
Speaker 3: That had all the freedom and look like they could do whatever.
Speaker 1: They want to when I see what happened.
Speaker 3: But can you produce a great or an all time great athlete without having them with that type of structure.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm trying to think who's on top right now that didn't have structure, you know, whether it be Shakur, whether it be Kishon, whether it be Benevita's, whether it be some of the greats. If you look at them, they all have structure, and they all had something that at an early age they knew they had something to fall back on. Now, of course you get a kid like Mike Tyson to come up to Catskill at fifteen sixteen trouble, what happened? He got structure right, So I don't think you can get to the top without structure. I don't see any long wolves out of there out there. Now, you got some that don't want to follow the script. But in order to get world class you have to have some sort of structure. But then there's another level after structure, there is following this script. Structure is very important. It is the foundation to success in any sport. I believe structure, discipline and structure. And even though you might get off the beaten path, that structure and discipline never leaves you because no matter what you were doing at that time, when you were going through your phases, no matter what you were doing, boxing never left your mind. That's structure, that's foundation. It never left your mind. It's familiar. There's been many a night that you might have been doing something. I guarantee I never asked you this, but you could tell me now that you tell yourself, I'm blowing it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Every time I would smoke some weed or smoking black and mind or drink something, I'm like, Broy, you wasn't raised, like, yes, you're blowing it. And you're blowing it because I'm tearing up my lungs, you know, my wind. Like that's what I that's my thing in boxing is man, I can go.
Speaker 1: So I did. I did way to the north. I went to North Oakland, man.
Speaker 3: And I did go downhill just like you said, you know, And it didn't take long, you know. And it's crazy because it's like I felt like I need I needed a break from boxing. You know, I've been doing this. I've been nine years old, and it was like it was a grind, man, And it's like in my young mind, I want a freedom. I wanted I wanted to breathe. I needed to axal. I don't want to have to go to the gym. I don't want to have to tell my friends I can't go. Man, I'm trying to go to the party for once. I don't never get the chance to go to the party. And you just don't understand what you're saying. But I took it from like just want more freedom to now I'm I'm I'm delving in into to street activities.
Speaker 2: You know, my mother.
Speaker 3: Was doing good for a while, but her being in that environment, right the dope house, right around the corner, it uh inevitably them old demons start coming back on her. And I'm grateful for my mama, man, cause she you know, I get a lot of my fight from my mother, man, cause she she a fighter.
Speaker 1: But at that time she started, she started dibbling and dabbling.
Speaker 3: I can always tell when you know my mom was struggling because the house started looking dirty.
Speaker 1: My mom is a neat freak until she not.
Speaker 2: And when you know.
Speaker 3: That the house started getting dirty and staying dirty and smelling different, I'm like, man, it's happening again. And so I seen that, me and her arguing and fighting a lot because I'm mad jamming her up about that, and but you always accusing me.
Speaker 1: I ain't doing that. I'm looking at her eyes. I know my mother and.
Speaker 3: Her using drugs again means us not being together. I feel like it's just a matter of time. So I start using drugs and numbing and drinking a lot, and then I start selling dope. I dodn't know how to cook it up. But I had connections around the corner too. You know what I'm saying, I buy a bunch of rocks and go do my thing. And it's like I said this in a book too, that like it was crazy because I'm praying for my mother to get free from an active crack addiction on fifty to fifty market in the apartments, but I'm two blocks down serving somebody else's mother. That's crazy that my mindset had been here, and I remember God convicted me and just I just I was like, man, you're a hypocrite, Like I'm praying for my mama that man, God take this from her, don't let it fall back into this. But I got I got dope in my mouth and I'm serving somebody else's mother. But I will say this though, the people that were praying for me, the prayers worked. You know the things that you would say and other people would say, you know, God would send people and you had an interesting style the way you would do it because a lot of people were calling you saying, man, I seen hi, dry man, he ain't looking good man, he you know he hang with this person or I seen him and you never you never panicked, but you would always say the right.
Speaker 1: Thing at the right time, and it would sit with me.
Speaker 3: And I'll be fighting with you on the phone like, man, hey, brother, listen, I'm telling you you ain't gonna get away with nothing. And I'll be mad cause I'm thinking you speaking something moment that's gonna happen. I'm like, man, I'm just trying to you know, live my life. Man, you just man, just cause I ain't boxing, you're gonna say that. You said, Man, it's deeper than that. God got his hand on you. So I never felt comfortable being in the street. I never felt comfortable. And you said something to me one time that really rocked me. And he say, man, you out there playing And I laughed, and I'm like, I ain't playing.
Speaker 1: Somebody run up on me.
Speaker 2: A'ma da da da.
Speaker 3: I'm talking that talk you said, brother, Listen, if you ain't, if you ain't sell your soul to if you haven't sold your soul to the devil, and you ready to kill or be killed right now, you playing, then that's the type of treachery you're dealing without. There I knew deep down I wasn't trying to kill nothing off. The show wasn't trying to be killed exactly. And you have to remember where I worked. I had my ear to the street. Yeah, I had kids in the neighborhood telling me everything. And you're in that neighborhood North Pole, coming in being incarcerated, and they telling me everything that's going on, because at that time you had been.
Speaker 2: In the newspapers and they knew who you were. They knew what I did, right, they knew who I was before they would come. Man, you you you you missed the hunter. Yeah, man, man, I stay down there Andre doing this and he doing that, and he doing this. But I didn't look at it. Ton. I just thank God that he was giving me the info, right, so I can plan, so I can maneuver. So I knew what to pray for, so I knew what to say, knew where to go, and knew and it just told God, you know, whatever help you have out there for it, because I don't want to do this by myself. I know there's a team around you, even your best warriors, David, everybody else, they had a team around him. So but he gave me the peace, but he gave me the info and getting back to your structure. It's your structure that kept you from going over the line. The end there that like you said, I'm getting ready to blow this, I'm gonna blow that. That lets you know what you were talking about early on. People coming in and already have it. You see what I'm saying, already had that instinct, already had that drive, That drive was already there. The competitiveness was already there. You just needed to tie him out. You just having to be in the wrong place to take your timeouts. So you just needed to time out what every kid does, even today, when amateur coaches come to me and ask me for advice when the kid is ten and eleven years old and twelve years old, I'm not ashamed to say that some of the mistakes I think that I made, and that is when the day age. You got to give them a break because if you don't, they're gonna get a certain age and they're gonna resent it and they're gonna go off on their own and everything like that, especially if there's no promise there, if they're not getting the accolades or they're not you got to give them a break. You just can't go three hundred and sixty five days, seven days, five six days a week. You know, you got to give them other all turners. Let them play other sports. They're not gonna lose nothing. They gonna come back fresher, right, their mind is refreshed. It's gonna help them. So and I learned that from when you played football. Right, when you played football, you can't and you came back fresh, you see. So I courage all coaches to do that. However they want to do it. Don't grind them because what you teach them, they're not gonna lose it. They're not gonna lose. It's like a basketball player terrors's achilles. Once they need is here, his game is right back to where it was. It's the same thing in boxing. You're not gonna lose it. So those were not tough times. They were times that I realized it was all part of the journey. You know. I never panicked, I never got discouraged. I never lost my stance on how I interacted with you. I always came to where I see it, what I felt. I never coward. I never went down and just and everything and let you set the tone, because she wasn't ready to set the tone yet so I need to know you needed that in your life. They as somebody that, hey, I'm gonna disappoint this man, right, somebody that if you hide and stuff from me, you respect me. You see what I'm saying, if you hide and stuff from me. But it's like I said, in this lifetime, it's such a spiritual journey. It's such a journey that when I look back, I'm marvel how everything turned out. Because your faults now is somebody else's testimony. Somebody else's your test Your false became your testimony to help somebody else. And that's how it all works. You know, what I did bad gives me a testimony to stop you from doing it right. Because God put me in a position where I am somebody. I've done a whole lot of things. I'm known all over the world. I'm just not somebody down the street trying to tell you what to do. I'm somebody that been where you been, and now I'm here and I'm gonna tell you everything. This could befall you as you take this journey into the going into the crime, the crime world, going into the dope world, going into anywhere. I can tell you what gonna happen to you.
Speaker 3: And during that period, it was probably like a two or three year run, man, where it's like, you know, I would go to I would win. I never went to the to the golda Glove Nationals. I would always win locally and then boom, I disappear. My first US Championship before I really win left was two thousand and one.
Speaker 1: I missed.
Speaker 3: Two thousand and two I was catting off, and then two thousand and three I was still messing up.
Speaker 1: But you were like, Man, you gotta you know, we're getting close.
Speaker 3: Used to count on your hands when I was a kid, like man, we got we identified what Olympics I was gonna be eligible for.
Speaker 1: Man, we're going nine years. Man, eight years, Man eight five years.
Speaker 3: You even had a notebook where you wrote in there, Man, I'm gonna be a preacher, commentator.
Speaker 1: A Hall of Famer, world champion.
Speaker 3: You wrote that in a notebook, And it's like during the period that I was going through, what I was going through, it was the opposite of what you were saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Actually it was a diary I had and I'm still looking for that diary today. I was just inspired. I think you're fifteen sixteen at the time, I was just inspired to write this, and I wrote in that diary. Kid is special. Don't know it yet, but this is what I see in this future. I see Olympic gold medalists in two thousand and four. I see a middleweight champion that at some point of the champions will be afraid to fight. And I see a first ballot Hall of Famer. And I also see a top broadcaster because of his intuition, because of his insight, because of his ability to comprehend. I see all that in his future. MM and I just left it out and you picked it up one day and read it, and you said, you write this verge And I said, yeah, I wrote it and put it back. And then I don't know where it is. I wish I could find it. I think it's in a container somewhere. Yeah, but it was in it was uh instilled in me because you know, I understand that if you hadn't win to Washington. See, God got a plan, right, and sometime the plan is not what we expect. As God fearing people, we think it's gotta be perfect. We gotta think it's gotta be thrown free, weed free, just of a Rosie path to wherever our destination is meant to be. But you had never met your wife. You see, you never had that opportunity to meet your wife and develop a relationship to where you know, I love her, this is who I want to marry. The boxing might have been another thing, but it might have been a whole nother situation for you. But you met somebody who was a perfect compliment for you. So it was that. Lets me know, it was always in the plan, right, it was in the plan. And I remember when you came to me and said that you guys wanted to get married at an early age, and everybody was against it. But I told you, I said, look, because you guys lived.
Speaker 3: With me, this girl girl they want to marry Dre. Yeah, but they only see it from one side on the lady.
Speaker 2: From one side of the age part, right, But they.
Speaker 1: Looking at the age, and then you know, they looking at who. You know, they look at it like, who is this girl trying to take our baby?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, get married.
Speaker 1: That's how the ladies looking.
Speaker 2: But what they didn't realize is that you got to stay with me, right, So I was able to watch over the years, you guys interact and I always saw you guys were never apart. Wherever you went, you had the kids with you. I'll watch y'all. Tiffany was so great with the kids early in the morning, feeding them, bathe them, making sure all their needs are met. And you guys were inseparable. So to me, he was already married, right, So I told you, I said, if anybody could do it, you could do it. Don't let all these old people tell you you've got problems in their relationships to things like that. Don't let them kill your vibe. You know, go ahead to get married. That's what you want to do. And you guys did. And look today it's a blessing man.
Speaker 3: You know you will you be fighting argument, just not knowing how to deal with life pressures of life relationship at.
Speaker 1: That level, you know.
Speaker 3: And you would sit us down be like, look, you know this is this is cause Tiffany didn't understand the magnitude of.
Speaker 1: What I was chasing. Like I told her, I was like, yeah, I'm you know, I box. She was like, yeah, I play. I played basketball. I'm like, nah, like I box, Like I'm the best in my white class. She was like, oh, that's cool.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't until she moved to California and really was like, start asking you questions, like wait, so she went to one of my fives.
Speaker 1: She's like, oh you.
Speaker 3: Want Oh that's cool, and then started really understanding. He was like, Nah, he gonna win a gold medal, he gonna You ain't have to worry about nothing.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: One day I told her, I said, t if you understand what I'm telling you, and if you really look into what you got, you got an ox and if you follow the script, you'll never have to work a day in your life. Has she had a job today?
Speaker 3: So just right, just just raising the kids and holding the house down, man.
Speaker 1: Which is what she wanted to do exactly.
Speaker 2: I mean, so you got the perfect situation, and you got the perfect wife out of an imperfect situation. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And I was challenged too, because I always thought you would be signing with her.
Speaker 1: I'm like, why you always signing with her?
Speaker 3: We got an argument or something, But I was growing up. I'm learning how to treat her the right way. And you know, because I didn't, I didn't have a lot of great examples.
Speaker 1: I didn't have a lot of that throughout my.
Speaker 3: Family line, strong marriages, you know, like it was just relationships. And it's like I seen dysfunction and I seen disorder. So that's what I know. I just want to pressure hit that's what you're gonna be, dysfunctional. So you and Millie May y'all would sit us down. You would sit us down, man and really open up the word man. And I think that was a difference maker. You know, your life wasn't perfect, but you never you never stray from that word.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: No, sometimes you have a glass of champagne and a cigarette your hand. Let you say look man, and you take us to the word yeah, and you'd be like, look, this is what God says.
Speaker 1: That how a husband's supposed to treat his wife.
Speaker 2: I didn't want you guys to hear what I needed to say. I wanted to hear what the word said. So to be true, it's not what I said. It is what the word say, is right. And the first thing I told was but to you, I said, it's a scripture to see he who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord. Right. So I used to go from that, but I don't know to this day, I just marvel at It wasn't even under my own understanding. It was just the understanding the guy gave me for that particular moment to open my eyes to see what was going on in the battlefield that he gave me. So when that war, when your war came, I was able to assign you the proper weaponry and a proper strategy to deal with it, even though I hadn't done all that in my life, you know. So it was set aside, you know. And today I just marvel. You know, it's every time I think about it, it just enlightens me. It just when I see you on TV. When I see all the things that you accomplished, When I see all the beauty that your wife is doing, and the kids raised up well and everything like that and happy, it's just a marvel.
Speaker 3: During that time when I was, you know, doing my thing, getting in trouble.
Speaker 1: You know, I said this, when I interviewed Jay, you and.
Speaker 3: James Prince start talking, I think I forgot what year it was.
Speaker 1: Maybe so I was supposed to be.
Speaker 3: I wandered the local and the state state golden gloves, and then I just I dipped on you. I'll be back versed and I just left. I was gone, never showed up. But Jay and his team kept hearing about War Waterer's kid War.
Speaker 1: They went to the I think it was in Vegas. They went to the to the.
Speaker 3: Golden Gloves and I wasn't there, and somehow you got your number and y'all started talking.
Speaker 1: What was that conversation like?
Speaker 2: Well, actually, Antonio Leonard was the first person who called me and inquired about you and said, man, we've been hearing great things about this kid and this and that. I didn't know who Antonio was, you know, because at that time, Shelley Finker was calling me. Camera Duncan was calling me. Uh, the guy over in Europe, I can't think of his name. He was calling Gary Shall was leading you know, people like that. And I never was comfortable when they would call. I never could sit down. You know, I'm just listening because it was all about mone It was all about what they thought they thought said was gonna wanted to hear. You know, they bringing the money up first, not the person, right. So I get a call from Antonio Leonard and he said, is it okay if I give your number the j Prince? And I said yeah, give it to it. So when Jay called about thirty minutes later, did you know who was at that time? Yeah, knew who he was from Floyd and I never met him at that time, but I knew exactly who he was. So when he called and Mr Hunter, y know, it's James.
Speaker 1: Prince, right, It's James Prince.
Speaker 2: So after about two or three minutes of us filling out each other and everything like that, you know, trying to get the motives of one another and this and that and the other, I was able to sit down and listen to what he said and able to tell him. I said, you know what, if you can help me with this kid, because everything he was talking about never about money, It was about family, it was about help, It was about his life. We talked about thirty men minutes before I even said this to him, and you know, he was telling me everything that he had been through and this and that Floyd and this and that Roy and all these things. So something just lighten me up, you know where I knew that I wasn't going to make say the wrong thing or putting myself in a position that I would regret later on. So I said, you know what, Jay, if you could help me with this kid. He'll want us a gold medal, he said, yeah. I said, yeah, he want us a gold medal. I guarantee you he will and he So that's when I gave him your number and I called you and I said, man, I talked to j parents. He's interested in you. But the beautiful thing is it was a God send again because you came home and we went to Houston. Right now, you're able to see how people live, right, whips, whips, everything like that. Then he put your I onl on the phone to you Roy, right, so his connections were able to bring another dimension into the whole thing. Then we started going to all the big fights.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So long before you fall in the Olympics, long before you turn pro, you've been exposed to it. You saw what it could bring you in the locker room, in the locker room at Jay's matching, going to the night club of Floyd there and things like that.
Speaker 3: Because I was still you know, I wasn't all the way right yet, right, I was still trying to get right right. I mean, we was at a I think it was Roy Jones, John Ruiz and I had to all go suit on and uh, we were staying in the same room. But I'm still you know, I'm still drinking and stuff, So I don't.
Speaker 1: Know how I got it.
Speaker 3: I got like a like a personal bottle of Hennessy or something like that, so I think I'm being slick. So I got the personal bottle in my bag, tucked in some clothes.
Speaker 1: So I drink a little bit tucket. Leave, go do my thing, come back, drink drink some tucket. One night I go in there, I look at my bag. I'm like, it's gone. I'm like my bottle way and you holding the ace car.
Speaker 2: You ain't saying it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm like, man, got my bottle.
Speaker 2: Bro I didn't have to say nothing my bottle.
Speaker 1: Man like either he got it or the cleaners. I said, how the cleaners know what's in my bag? So I'm tripping.
Speaker 3: That's worse than somebody finding it getting mad at you because you ain't saying nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what's up, very ol, what's up?
Speaker 3: You act like ain't nothing happening, And uh, I think then you say something when we got back home or something like that.
Speaker 2: Back to the bay. I don't remember, but I knew you wasn't gonna question me because you knew nobody you knew, you knew I had, so it wasn't nothing to be questioned, and you didn't want to hear me come back and say, man, why you got this boom boom boom. I just that was my time because at that time, I don't think you knew that I was aware of what was going on, and I didn't want you to know. Then you didn't want me to know. But when I got this bottle, now you know, I know, right, So if that's all I had to leave it at, I didn't have to go no further. Now you know I know, So now the next move is on you, right, But at that time it w It was a great time. Again. It's how things are maneuvered and steered into the proper place and alignments and how things supposed to go. Ja was a blessing. He was a blessing because he cared about you genuinely and I respect it and he respected it and you and he came to He came and rescue for different things that mattered. When you needed a bigger vehicle for your kids, you didn't ask him for escalade with big rams on it, and he said, I just need something from my family. He provided a nice pre certified uh forget Toyota s expedition, things like that. So he was always there when you needed it. He was always there for me. But after if Jay became involved and we began to team up, all the other stuff just begin to disperse and started going away. And then you start locking in. You going to focus because you had all examples around. You got to put you in that arena where you could see this could beat me. Yeah, right, I.
Speaker 1: Could see it though right when I was around Roy.
Speaker 3: A few times I was around Floyd, like I just felt like I could do this, you could do this. I see myself here and but brushing shoulders with them, and like you know that that did something to me, man, especially at that time in my life, cause I lost my dad in two thousand and two. Man, my dad was here today going tomorrow, and I was already you know, teetering, and that just that just took me over the over the line man, and sort of gave me an excuse to continue to self destruct.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: But man, God is good.
Speaker 3: I got I got in trouble one last time, man, and I was like that breaking point for me and I just surrendered. Man, I just I told God. I was like, you know, I was like, man, I'm sorry. You know, I know I've been running from you. I know I've been, you know, just just doing what I want to do, you know. But it's crazy though, because you you spent some years getting some bad habits, right, don't it don't go over? And I can, But it took some time to get, like the desire to want to smoke weed out of my system, the desire to want to drink out myself. Never went to a program, never did none of that. Some people that's that's the route. But for me, man, he just took it well. And and then with Ja being there and then Tiffany moving to the bay, I felt like, what do I need to leave for? Like, like, I got a year and a half to try to make this happen.
Speaker 2: Well in the major thing was she was taking out the environment. Yeah, say if you had stayed in that environment, right, but you were taking out the environment right. It was down the street, but we were all centered in the house together, so you know, even at the car wash, I had connections there. I had my ear to the street. At the car wash, I had my heirs to the street on eighty second and Black Arthur on the corner where I had kids that I had that was running those blocks and telling him, look, when he come down here, don't bubba, don't do nothing, don't give me nothing, and don't mess with him when he comes down here to this store. So everything was in order. Everything. But it's so important and getting back to JP, it's so important I think, and I'm just saying this for young fighters to have many men in your life.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Notice I said men. I didn't say fellas. I didn't say hanger ons. I didn't say get the man that's gonna backstab your cult or backstab this or put anything that's negative in your parents here about what's going on. Not negativity, but real men. Everybody needs more than one man in their life.
Speaker 1: I mean it's a blessing because I lost my dad.
Speaker 3: But then you was already playing a dual father role and you had to step up completely.
Speaker 1: Then you know, God brought Jay and brought.
Speaker 3: Other people that you know, he knew that I will respect and I would listen to. I ended up getting on the team qualifying, and you know, I thought it at a higher weight class because I thought I was gonna grow. Should have been in one sixty five, but I thought at one seventy eight, you know, I'm in Athens, Greece. You somehow not only get there, but you get front row tickets to the fight. We had just went to War two, so security was we had a secret service agent where us everywhere we went.
Speaker 1: So what like just freedom to wrong?
Speaker 3: Like it was, it was strict, yeah, And somehow, some way, man, you got you got front row tickets to every fight.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that was that was incredible blessing right there in itself, because I didn't think I could make us at that time the war. And then when you look over they were just staying accommodations they were real high, right, just the one bedroom was like a thousand dollars a week, two bedroom three thousand dollars a week, and things like that, the airlines and this and that, and then you had to think about food, and I'm like, man, it's gonna kind of be kind of tough, you know, to getting over there at these prices. And one day I was just sitting in it then and this voice came in my ear. It wasn't audible, but I could hear it, and it said to me, you don't think I can get you to Athens, Greece. And I started crying because I knew this voice, right. I started crying like because I was so ashamed of the doubt that I had that I couldn't get there, saying I couldn't not instead of looking at a way where I could. So when that happened, I immediately on my credit card look for a plane ticket and I got one round trip for nine hundred dollars. I had to go through Germany to get to Greece and things like that, So I got the plane ticket. That was my first step out in faith. And then so now I'm sitting there worrying about where to stay. And then all of a sudden, Charlotte, she used to work at a dental office and her best friend was Greek, and her brother, who was the dentist, was Greek. And so I called her. I said, do you still talk to marykat Sulas? She said, yeah, I do. I said, well, can you give me the number? She says she still works at the dentist office. So I called Mary cat Sulis and she knew I was and I said, I'm going to Athenes Greece, and I just wanted to talk to your brother about it to see if he had any uh recommendations for me. She said, well, George is out of town, but he'll be back tomorrow. I haven't call you. The next day, George calls me and you were actually going to school with his son, right. He told me that. He said, look, I'm going to Greece a week out from the Olympics because I'm an honor pary athlete in the Greek Olympics. The Greek Olympics is going to be a week before the regular Olympics. So he said, when I get there, I'll look around for you. So he gets there and he calls me from Greece. He said, how many I wanna come? I said five. He said, my friend has a flat and Kalamaki Athens Kalamaki, which you're on the beach bleaches one block away, all the shops and everything. He says, in the summertime, he owns a restaurant out in some island and Greece and some creed or somewhere out there in the island, and he goes out there and stays out there for the summer, and he leases out his place he said, so you guys just pay five hundred dollars a piece a week, so that's three weeks. That's fifteen hundred dollars plus nine hundred dollars, so that came to twenty four hundred dollars, right, So that's way in the ballpark. So I said, okay, So got on went to Greece. He took us all down on the bus lines and the transportation lines to see where we could get to the arena and things like that, and we went on. So when I get to the fight site the first night, you say you were gonna fight. I went up to the ticket booth and once again, I'm gonna charge these tickets, right, but here comes the enemy's voice in my ear. You gonna buy tickets for all four nights. What if he lose, You ain't gonna wanna come to the fights, So you gonna waste money, buy one ticket at a time. And I told the lady, I'm on four tickets in this arena right here.
Speaker 1: For the event.
Speaker 2: As she was getting ready, As I was getting ready to hand her my credit card, I got a tap on my shoulder and I turned around and it was Eric, the director of USA Boxing He said, what are you doing. I said, I'm getting ready to buy tickets for the event. He said no, no, no, no, no, no, do that. He took me buying the booth, opened up his briefcase. How many of you guys wanna come? I said, well, it's five of us. He gave me front row tickets wall five of us, all four nights, so I didn't have to pay for the tickets. And then after he wanted the gold medal, George came to me his friend who owned the flat. George had met a girl in Greece and he took her out to the restaurant. He told his friend, I'm bringing a girl to the restaurant. You know, give me a table, treat me nice, like I'm somebody, this and that. He said. When he gets to the restaurant, he has to stand in line. And he said he would even give me a complimentary bottle of wine. Right, he said, So, look, when he comes and collects the money tomorrow, don't give me five hundred.
Speaker 1: Get him two hundred and tell him.
Speaker 2: I said so, right, So when the guy comes, everybody gives me two hundred dollars a piece. And he's looking like I said, George said so, so he knew right then, so he left. So the old trip ends up costing me under two thousand dollars just like that. Yeah, and then God pays for the trip. I get home. The envelope comes from USA Boxing. I opened it up, is ten thousand dollars in there for coaching you to a gold medal. So the old trip was paid for. And so that's how it worked. That's how the journey's being.
Speaker 3: Man, it's crazy because moments like that, man, you call him a Moory, you know what I'm saying. Like, it's moments that you set up in your life, in your mind. So when you face new challenges, new giants, new stuff, you go back and say, Man, it's the same guy that got me through that. It's the same guy to get exactly So that that whole Olympics thing, me being in a weight class that I really wasn't supposed to be.
Speaker 1: I had never fought at that level.
Speaker 3: I fought, you know, Ireland and Mexico and Germany and Korea. I never fought the Cubas and the Russians before, and I think ESPN had me possibly winning a bronze medal in that weight class though I hadn't lost since I was fourteen years old.
Speaker 1: Twelve twelve, it's a debate. I like, twelve better, No.
Speaker 2: We'll go twe twelve.
Speaker 3: I looked at it, Yeah, we're going twelve. But I hadn't lost in a long time, and it was like, he probably gonna And I get it because I what was your thinking with being the number one ranked American for many years but then not allowing me to go to certain tournaments or certain like World Championship.
Speaker 1: Never been to World Championship before.
Speaker 3: The Olympics, never went to the PanAm Games before the Olympics. That's my route, right though, USA box and don't get mad at me. That was my route for some of your kids. Y'all got to decide what y'all want to do with that. But you didn't want the overexposure. I had four years to make it happen, really three years to make it happen. Why did you not let me go to certain tournaments on the way to the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Well, the year of the Olympics, after you had qualified it and they came to me and they wanted to go I think Kakistan, different places like that, and I told him no, oh, why he could get the experience? I said, I never seen nobody getting the experience. Every time they go, they lose, you know. But it was one thing that I knew. I knew as a light heavyweight, even though you wasn't a full fledged light he was really one seventy one seventy one without cutting weight and just eating and stuff like that. I knew the weight classes once, and the weight class has one seventy eight, right, But after I'm looking at these guys on TV. It's six', five six' six coming to one. Seventy Eight so, I'm saying, jesus man this means if he fights On, a monday he gotta make that weight, that morning right then he. Gonna out he's get two days off IN between i think you guys got two days off in. Between bouts he's, gonna eat so he go put on another five or. Six seven so his whole thing, is fighting putting on, the weight taking off, the, weight fighting putting on, the weight. Taking off that's, gonna weekend you old period, of, time right especially in a. Week's tournament SO but i knew that you had something that if they, never saw they wasn't gonna beat it in four two many rounds because they not gonna have no tape. On you they just not gonna figure, you out and four two. MINUTE rounds i, knew, That right AND then i knew that if you, could eat they didn't have to worry about. Making weight you could. Train, Harder right you're gonna, Sleep better you're not gonna be stressed With the, OH man i, wanna Eat but i'm scared on my game three or, four POUNDS and i gotta take. It off this, constant work. Constant STRESS so i took that stress level off. OF you i knew you were physically strong enough to beat guys ten pounds heavier. Than YOU and i, TOLD you, i said they're not gonna take you serious because, you're small until you get to the, SECOND fight, I said and after that they gonna they gotta take. You serious but it's gonna be. Too late it's gonna be too late because they're gonna have to turn around and figure out how we gonna beat. This kid it's. Too late you don't have no tape, on me.
Speaker 3: You KNOW once i beat the two time, World, Champion Yeah guiney Mac and Nko, from russia they knew, what time.
Speaker 2: They knew what time. IT was i wasn't supposed to Be, in Oh Even clementia russo because he came back to The next olympics. And, won yeah But if, guinea though he was. The one he wore a Two time world champions six six or.
Speaker 1: Something, like that he was.
Speaker 3: The one SO when i, beat him, they said who is this kid who was out of? State mayor and you know the rest. Is, history man we want to go. Metal man and it's like that was a crazy faith builder for me because we had talked, About it you had talked, about it and it was just a lot Of stuff god was Doing, In athens greece that just confirmations that we were there for. A reason and it's crazy That that i'm the last mail to want to go gold medals in two thousand.
Speaker 1: And four and, it's bittersweet.
Speaker 3: You know, one hand it's like, it's cool but like it's that's supposed to be broken in, you know like giving the talent and stuff that we have here And obviously chloresta shields and done. Her Thing but, i'm saying as a mail we gotta. Break, that yeah but that's that's a. Long time that's what twenty.
Speaker 2: Two, YEARS well i think one way to break it IS is ussa Boxing the, european countries they they twenty five and twenty six.
Speaker 1: Years old fighting.
Speaker 2: Amateur yep but they get compensated, for that so they don't have any incentive to turn pro too early because they're getting a steady check from. The state they might get a flat from, the state a car from. The state they get everything so their needs, are met so they don't have no that's. Guaranteed money that's NOT like i, got well when you're gonna give me a, fight date OR when i get a, fight date that's. Guaranteed money, every month, that's medical That's every all your needs, are met so they have incentive to. Stay longer that's why you only see maybe the cream of the crop every one or two come out of those regions and be coming and get into. The program you don't see many of them going to the progame because they get well compensated in the. Amateur game IF The usa boxing realizes that they need a nil they need a, nil, program right they, get paid they, get paid but they need to up.
Speaker 3: TO pay i think they need to up. To PAY and i Think and i've been saying this for a long. Ast time for whatever it IS in usa boxing just keeps plugging. Their EARS like usa boxing needs to have an open door. With alumnis we talk to these kids on social we do video calls with them off to, the side but it's like we beg to get into, the program to influence, these kids to encourage, these kids to let. Them NIGHT man i, did it you can. Do it nobody's trying to take away from the. Head coach the message is still. The same whatever your, Cad coach we're gonna implement the. Same message but there's nothing like brushing shoulders or somebody who's already walked the path that you want and they can reach out and touch you, and, say, MAN man i appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Coming through you.
Speaker 3: Can't quantify what that does for a young athlete that's trying to get what. You got but it's like they just want to keep them to theyself and just you gotta like you gotta beg to get.
Speaker 1: In there that's one of the.
Speaker 3: Biggest mistakes cubans don't do What the russians. Don't do all the previous champions they're around, the program so they get to see or That's That's felix avone or that's you, know, Whoever right they get to see, that man that's so and so many he won two gold medals and a, world championship and they get to they get to brush shoulders, with them and they get to get advice from them and be. Around them you can't quantify what that's gonna do for. THOSE athletes i think that's one of the biggest mistakes that they make is not allow on the alumni to. Come back we only had one guy, come BACK and I Was, andrew MAYNE and i.
Speaker 1: Appreciated them coming because he was in my. Way class you want to go medal?
Speaker 2: Eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Uh Damn david reid because he was with our metro so but we loved being. Around, them, dudes, like man tell. Me, Something, Man man i'm getting ready to go To. These olympics you don't know what it's like till you. Get, there well.
Speaker 2: You KNOW and i never aspired to BE a usa boxing COACHES because i saw early on it. Was clickish and that's not to put. Nobody down i'm not gonna say no Names any that doesn't mean that they're a, bad person but the threat of somebody coming in may be doing it better then you. Did it that's, the, threat right instead of realizing it's not about me as, an individual it's about. A, team okay six sets of eyes is better than, one, Set right but that six sets of eyes has got to be on. The up you can't come in with, a agenda. Negative agenda you can't come, in criticize and you gotta come in with your eyes and be. A TEAM where, i asked HOW can? I help WHAT can i? Do this? Hey coach you know what if he just did this right here to his right hand and, Land better and if the coach can look at, this, guy, say man he's knocked out a lot of guys with his, right hand so he know what he's. Talking, about okay, guy comes it's been in the pros knocking you out. Left hooks if, he, say, hey coach if he throws hook this way or, you know or maybe this way or get it off this way to, be better you gonna listen.
Speaker 1: To.
Speaker 2: Him right but once you get this salary and this team has been given, to you and you got a couple of coaches up, under you you don't want to get off. That interest you don't want to get off that pedestal without realizing it takes a team to keep you on. The pedestal no great man is great without.
Speaker 1: A team it takes a village to take.
Speaker 3: A raise i'll give you, an example so that they just Had the youth Under Nineteen world championships for the girls and, the guys and SOMETHING that i KNOW because i was trained this WAY and i. Did it the. Body language for a lot of. Those athletes some of them lost because of. Body language you saw fatigue, set in they falling over, their feet they holding the referee has to.
Speaker 1: Warn them that's given.
Speaker 3: The opponent that's given the opponent some energy and some and some, you know, Hey man i'm, tired TOO but, i said you won't tired. To me and it's also for a judge who's trying to figure out who's winning. This round they're gonna go with the person that looks to for making this. Job EASY but i learned.
Speaker 1: That being at the highest level as, an Amage the cubans never, break form rush never.
Speaker 3: Break form they even when, they tired they look like they're not even when they're not, in control they still got.
Speaker 1: Their stands they still look like they always look like they're.
Speaker 3: In control that's something that like somebody who's done that can implement to.
Speaker 1: Them kids, and, say hey get your body. Language together don't lean over the ropes in between. The Rounds the cubians don't even sit down in.
Speaker 2: Between rounds how is that for?
Speaker 3: Body language but it's stuff like that that if you don't have guys who, did it those are key things that like that, seem small that can be the difference between a winning and.
Speaker 1: Loss exactly stuff like that. Body language like you're falling over, your feet you.
Speaker 3: Look fatigue don't. Look fatigue but it starts in the. Gym though hey don't don't put your hands on.
Speaker 2: Your knees hey don't lean on the ropes in. Between rounds don't.
Speaker 1: Do that that's a standard the.
Speaker 2: Other countries. That's winning they, do it and the other countries are so involved in. Technical stuff technical ability really wins amateur matches at, that level and that's short duration. Of fighting so a fe more technically sound and you more. Technical competitive you could be the mortalented kid who's not, the sounder not so sure, of himself and that's why he'll fatigue and have. Body language because the mystique Of, the russians the mystiq Of, the ukraine the mystique Of, the cubans the reputation, they fighting, the names, they fighting the. Country's name you Fight, a cuban you Find, a russian this and that and. The other so you're already self defeated before you even. Get THERE but i think what the kids has got. To understand it's in. This game all of them need to understand that when your mother and father got together in an act, of intimacy that lets you know you was chosen before the foundations of time for such a time. As this so never. Get discouraged and we could build a great ammate tour, a team but you have to have the, Financial support you have to have the. Coaches support you have to look at it from a. Team perspective but you also have to respect every coach who has brought a national champion to, that level every coach that has developed a kid that is qualified for. That team that coach should, be there, you see because he knows his kid more than. ANYTHING else i don't know WHY The usa boxing does not put a financial package together for every. Weight class your coach is coming to work the corner. With me i'm the, head COACH but i need your coach, here too because he's gonna see things that he's seen for YEARS that i only see in.
Speaker 3: One camp but that's what my head, coach did really. Good man but sure a doula put his ego to the side and he stayed in contact with you for the year or whatever that he had me before we went To, the olympics and, He, SAID man i need to know. This kid, yeah man, you, said hey you're. Gonna overtrain you gotta pull. Him back, hey man he gonna want to.
Speaker 1: Do more don't.
Speaker 3: Let him, hey man watch, his way because it's way to drop that type of stuff. Right there you can't you can't put a price exactly that type of information about. THESE athletes, i said he's gonna be number one in every single run the team, do yep we're gonna be.
Speaker 1: Number one he ain't gonna settle for.
Speaker 2: Number two but butsher was a blessing because he did communicate. With me and the most IMPORTANT thing i told, h was, don't coach you just let you be who you're. Gonna be but if you're on a tight, of course orse you could say something BUT just, i said because he's, gonna improvise he's gonna do whatever, it is whatever it takes. To win that's what he's.
Speaker 1: GONNA do i didn't say nothing to you.
Speaker 3: About retirement he was the LAST person i, called MAN cause i just it.
Speaker 1: Was tough it's days even TODAY where i. FEEL bad i feel bad because we had, a.
Speaker 3: System we had, a program and just that one decision shook.
Speaker 1: Everything up