Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Nick Shot, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys at now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Efferson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: And it is high noon on Well, it's a little past high noon on a Thursday, and it's time for another edition of Mick Shots.
Speaker 5: High right.
Speaker 4: We are trying to figure out how to get by with out Savannah, who is vacationing had a wedding that she's at in the Dominican Republic. And so Mickey trying to figure out the text line here. And I think Mickey might have figured it out.
Speaker 5: I think no first figured it out.
Speaker 4: Producer Supreme, Oh, well, he had it figured out. He was giving a tutorial to Mickey prior to starting this podcast. And Mickey is about to give you that Cowboys podcast text line now.
Speaker 6: Eight one seven two nine zero three two nine eight.
Speaker 4: All right, do you want to open the phone lines?
Speaker 5: Maybe the second segment?
Speaker 4: Do you want to give the phone I will.
Speaker 6: Number eight eight eight eight five five to two nine such.
Speaker 4: Okay, So I've We've gotten permission from Mickey himself that we can actually take a phone call. And it feels like game week now.
Speaker 6: It feels like football weather're out.
Speaker 4: There, because if you go outside, you'll find football players on the trintball field too.
Speaker 6: Right, and they're practicing. And I did see Cavante Turpin out there in pads.
Speaker 4: I got a good report from the head coach at Cavante this morning. As a matter of fact, is it as.
Speaker 5: Good as mine?
Speaker 4: Well, what does your say?
Speaker 5: He's ready to go?
Speaker 4: That's what basically what the head coach is good to go. He's good to go. And in fact, when I brought up the name, let me make sure I got it here, Amir Smith Marsette, you know who that is? No ever since? Do you know who Smith Marsett is?
Speaker 2: Yes, great name.
Speaker 4: He was a Kansas City Chief until he became a Carolina Panther. Oh on August twenty ninth, traded from the Chiefs to the Panthers.
Speaker 5: I see his name here. What did he do wide receiver?
Speaker 4: What did he do? A week ago? Today? He returned to punt seventy nine yards for a touchdown against the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 7: Ah, that was almost the only score in the game.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 6: We touched down when we tape, which is a good lead into my next note.
Speaker 4: So get this. When we taped to the Mike McCarthy show this morning, I mentioned a Meirs Smith Marsett and you got to watch out for him on that other side. And that's when McCarthy said, so we'll have two good, two.
Speaker 5: Return guys good in the game.
Speaker 4: That's what tipped me off that things are okay with Cavante Turpin. Look Out, I'm calling it right now. Avante to the house, to the house turping time in Charlotte on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Physically.
Speaker 6: I heard he was good to go last week, but he hadn't practiced, so they decided, now, let's let's wait till next week.
Speaker 2: What was his.
Speaker 4: USFL team in New Jersey Generals.
Speaker 2: He was with the Generals.
Speaker 7: Okay, why do you guess wondering if I was wondering if it was in Carolina because I wanted, you know, he'd be going back home.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure.
Speaker 4: We don't have that storyline now. That could be on one of the other teams that he played for the Indoor Football League. I think he was in Atlanta playing on one of these.
Speaker 5: He was in Germany, wasn't he?
Speaker 4: It was in Germany. He was in Poland, I believe, playing and he maybe it was in that electronic football league that he would know.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, the fan thing, the.
Speaker 4: Fan controlled football. I think that may have been in Atlanta. Yeah, yeah, yes, yes, close to Chark.
Speaker 6: So having brought up a mirror, is that how.
Speaker 2: You say it?
Speaker 4: A mere smith Mars set out of Iowa for four to three speed.
Speaker 6: And he scored a touchdown and they only scored thirteen points. So they didn't score a touchdown last week.
Speaker 5: And that is why.
Speaker 6: That Frank Wright is returned to story.
Speaker 2: Leave me something.
Speaker 6: So he was calling plays the first six games and then he handed off to Thomas Brown and they won, and they won fifteen to thirteen. Over then only scored thirteen and thirteen the next two games. And now Reich says.
Speaker 4: Well, there was an issue, though there was also an iss. They only scored thirteen and thirteen, and in one of those games, the thirteen. No, it would have been a thirteen to thirteen game if not for the two pick sixes that made it twenty seven to thirteen.
Speaker 6: Well, but with Reich calling plays the first six games, they were averaging a robust sixteen point three points a game.
Speaker 4: Well, in one of those games was started by one Andy Dalton at Seattle when they scored twenty seven points. It was with Andy Dalton at quarterback. And Dalton was thirty four out of fifty eight for three hundred and sixty one yards and two touchdowns in that game.
Speaker 5: Okay, so are you blaming this on Bryce Young?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, no picks on that game.
Speaker 4: Not for Nope, not for Andy Dalton. Nope.
Speaker 6: So the difference between the two play callers was sixteen point three a game for Reich and eleven point three for Brown and the quarterback meaning offensive points and a different quarterback, right.
Speaker 4: And well, Bright, well just that one game Dalton point yeah, yeah. So I mean, if you wanted to to get a level playing field, you would need to figure out the Bryce Young quarterback games for in the Frank Reich era.
Speaker 6: And the worst part was when they beat the Bears fifteen thirteen, and it was they beat the Texans fifteen textings, I said Bears.
Speaker 5: They lost to the.
Speaker 4: Bears, right, sixteen thirty.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Brown was calling plays during that game and he called the plays on the winning drive for the field goal to win, and they gave Brown a game ball afterwards.
Speaker 5: Well, and now they gave them game Yeah, he won the game.
Speaker 6: Now they took the play calls away from now.
Speaker 4: I was listening to the great Bill Pollion last night on Serious NFL Radio.
Speaker 5: He seemed to be doing this quite often.
Speaker 4: But one of the reasons I was listening to Bill pollyon He's based in Charlotte and so he has close tabs on this Carolina team. And what he was saying is anyone who knows anything about the NFL knows that who's calling the plays really doesn't matter. It's who's putting the game plan, to plan the place or no, no what he's talking about as far as from the coaching standpoint, it's what they do leading up to game day. And he was saying, it's not that big a deal who's actually calling the plays because they're just calling it off a script and the game plan has already been put together.
Speaker 6: And Reich actually pointed that out that Brown continue putting, helping with the game plan and installing during the week and he's just going to call play. But it never explained why he decided to other than not scoring.
Speaker 4: And what I got out of it is he won. He just feels like the second half of the season he needs to be more hands on with the development of Bryce Young and as far as you know, game to game, play to play, and he feels like, I mean, that's that's why why he's he's hired there to be the head coach is to develop this young quarterback. And he feels like he can do that better by being in his ear throughout the game.
Speaker 5: Well, at least he says.
Speaker 4: It makes a lot of sense. At least he said, and he said great things about Thomas Brown the offensive Oh yeah, this take it takes nothing away from his star which is rising in the NFL.
Speaker 6: So he did point out that the reason I'm in the position I am is because I was a play caller. Yeah, which is why do head coaches do that? Well, it's like, the reason you become a head coach is probably because you were a really good offensive quarter cut and then you become the head coach and you hand the play calling off to somebody else.
Speaker 2: We have so many other things to do, spags. I mean, you know all you do is right.
Speaker 5: No TV, Okay, you rest your case.
Speaker 4: But I hear him on the podcast.
Speaker 2: You hear him on the Reids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's why we took We took the play calling away from Mickey, Right, we took the reeds away from Mickey. That's why we hired Savannah's right, But.
Speaker 5: He's still the head coach.
Speaker 2: But when it goes downhill, it comes to me first, That's right.
Speaker 4: We know never to give the play calls back to Mickey.
Speaker 5: Just remember I'm the head coach.
Speaker 7: I met I met Bill what's his name, Bill Pulliam? I met him, Yeah, I think he came. I think he came to the Boys game. He came and introduced himself to me, and that was my first time meeting.
Speaker 2: He's cool guy.
Speaker 4: He was a GM of the Bills in the Sweet Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was in one of the sweets.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's in the Sweets, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he's he the GM of the Bills throughout their Super Bowl runs and then and then the Cults. Yeah, and drafted Peyton Manning.
Speaker 5: I got to meet him twice.
Speaker 6: I was the AFC pool reporter at the Super Bowl for two of their losses, one in Washington and one and again no Minnesota.
Speaker 5: Was it Minnesota.
Speaker 2: He wasn't he wasn't stand office at all. No, he was very engaging.
Speaker 7: I think he came up to me and then I was with some of the guys and he came up and introduced.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I really enjoy listening to him. He usually is on in the evenings on serious NFL radio and he's Yeah, he's very educated. I mean he used much bigger words than I used. Well, that's why I like listed to him to pick up a word or two.
Speaker 6: Bro. My introduction to him was at the Super Bowl and after the ninety two season when Buffalo was practicing at USC and he was more worried about the security around the practice field than he was about stopping EMMITTT.
Speaker 4: Smith.
Speaker 7: What what he was with Buffalo win, he would have been with Buffalo as the g was.
Speaker 5: He was the general manager.
Speaker 4: He was the pro personnel director for the Bills starting in nineteen eighty five, the general manager eighty six through ninety two, and then with the Panthers starting in ninety five through ninety seven. And that's when Dom Capers was the head coach of the Panthers in Indianapolis in ninety eight through nine, and he was through twenty eleven, actually became team president too, so he.
Speaker 2: Was I was.
Speaker 7: He was came up to me because I guess he knew I played for Giants at that time.
Speaker 2: And we beat that.
Speaker 5: That was the first loss.
Speaker 7: Yeah there, yea, so this one, this one excellent.
Speaker 6: They were practicing at Southern Cal.
Speaker 2: And we didn't even talk about any of that stuff. We just had fun, just talking about everything.
Speaker 6: They were practicing at Southern Cal and the field butted up. The end of the field butted up to the student swimming pool and they had a high dive and they were worried about people on the high dive spying on their practice, so they closed down the swimming pool and then behind to the next So how would that work?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm watching this that I said the camera right, and then I'm at the top of the high dive. At at the end of the swimming pool was a dorm that had pat like a little patio thing outside each floor. At the end balcony balcony, Yeah, wrong word, And they were they were trying to shut that students off the balcony.
Speaker 2: Hey, you don't know who's who. You don't know who's but I knew.
Speaker 6: Who Emmett Smith was they needed to practice, Colly I was.
Speaker 5: I was just astounded about their worries.
Speaker 6: And I saw it the year before when they were at the University of Minnesota and at the end of the practice field indoors on the second floor was where all the coaches offices were, and they saw a light come in one of the offices and they just went crazy, like somebody was in that office looking at their practice. He should have been there in New Orleans when the was it New Orleans when they when they caught uh, the Patriots, I mean the Patriots were spying on a walk through or something.
Speaker 5: If I remember.
Speaker 2: Correctly, then this stuff is serious. Well see what happens when you pay them a bunch of You.
Speaker 6: Told me Tom would stop practice when they were playing Washington if there was somebody flying, we did.
Speaker 2: We did not stop practice. They bought out the room.
Speaker 5: Yeah I know that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean so.
Speaker 4: And then the look out here yeah right.
Speaker 6: It was like when the Packers were the San Diego Super Bowl, the Packers and uh, they're out there practicing Homegrown was the head coach, and all of a sudden, one of the there was an Air Force base or Navy airfield close to it, and they came flying over with a helicopter. They stopped practice to wave the waving at the guys.
Speaker 5: They didn't care.
Speaker 4: It was all right. With the difference between then and now, Yeah, it is is that teams practice then, well that's true.
Speaker 2: You'll see our entire game plan.
Speaker 7: You would see the entire game plan based on what we practiced.
Speaker 6: Jimmy was at U c l A busting helmets, right, they practiced. They they tech.
Speaker 4: What was your what was your work day like before that Valley Ranch? What was the facility over there on Forest Lane? What did you have as far as classroom space and like what did you do for meetings and stuff?
Speaker 6: Let me tell you, No, they had a very small room. And remember those desks used to sit in in about second or third where you came in.
Speaker 4: From the size, those weren't in there, No way were they. How did they fit in that?
Speaker 2: They didn't? I fit. I had I had no problem. But you know, Harvey Martin too tall.
Speaker 6: School and I don't know, and I can't imagine you had like fifty three guys in there to say that the room wasn't that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sometimes we have more come on when we came back from training camp, we didn't have fifty three. We still had we still had themund seventy something players.
Speaker 4: So how many hours a day would you be at the practice facility?
Speaker 2: We still have the same hours.
Speaker 7: Like still you've come in the morning, coming at nine in the morning, nine in the morning. Then we go to lunch and then after that we go from uh, you know, lunch to three something like that.
Speaker 6: By the way, when he said go to lunch, they had to go to lunch, there.
Speaker 5: Was no lunch we had we had for now. Remember, Yeah, we go get run.
Speaker 7: Then we had tom Thumb across the street, so we get chicken wings or whatever. They had food over there, potato salad network.
Speaker 6: Some pizza, pizza place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's what we had. Yeah, it was it was burning up out there. I didn't worry about lunch as much as you worried about weight room. You know, wait practice.
Speaker 5: Afterwards, which was outdoors.
Speaker 2: Outdoors, well you knew that, I mean.
Speaker 6: Covered covered though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this much covering in this move.
Speaker 7: We had to wait over there, and I don't know, it was just normal for us at that time. You know, we didn't realize that we were living like like.
Speaker 4: So do you think they put in more hours at work then than what they do here now, I would say less. I would say that's what I was getting.
Speaker 2: Nobody want to spend time over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: Here. It's comfortable.
Speaker 6: You go, well, I bet they didn't have an individual room for each position.
Speaker 4: Right, and so what do you do as far as position meetings? You know?
Speaker 2: Now we had rooms for a position, yes we did. Okay, yeah we bought we have rooms for you broke off.
Speaker 7: We put everyone up in there. That's really amazing because it's just a fieldhouse. I want to say fieldhouse like an inventory space or something.
Speaker 4: I don't remember being very large at all.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that large. But we made it work. We made it work.
Speaker 5: They want super Bowls in that.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't need to go back to that.
Speaker 2: You need to worry about where to park.
Speaker 5: Yes, that was the thing.
Speaker 7: I mean we were put in there, like I don't know how we all fit in. Come once again, Vernal was the dude, give them your keys, tell them the pocket for you a yeah, okay, call it what you Ballet.
Speaker 5: Was not forgot about.
Speaker 2: From now, Burnt will go get your car washed. He will not go get it. He washed it him so much.
Speaker 4: Did you tip?
Speaker 7: I didn't have him watched my stuff. Okay, no, because at the time I was driving a Mustang. My car was so wagged in you and the guys took my keys from me. They hated my car so much. I mean there was a car drove back and forth to Grambling. So eventually, you know, we do the ticket thing where you you know, you you know, get to get a dealership to season.
Speaker 4: There was so much better back then as a reporter. You can just talk to a guy on his way to his car, and I mean that was that way at Valley. The first time Mavericks practices, they practiced over here at the warehouse that Don Carter owned, and they had a gym in there, and so they it was like just a warehouse parking lot. It was off six thirty five and at midway around there was it was well Welch Road well and basically you could just hang out by real Ando Blackman's car and get an interview with him as he was waiting to get his car washed. I mean there would be a guy that would be car washing cars there. Vernell was there.
Speaker 2: It's a different season.
Speaker 5: The first time.
Speaker 6: The first time I had to go out to the facility forrests and abrams. They gave me the address and they said, but you're going to drive right by it.
Speaker 5: I go, what do you mean, Well, it doesn't look like a practice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And so they said, but when you go by this, this building with corrugated metal that looks like a transmission repair shop, you're gonna see.
Speaker 2: Someone really and it rubbed off on your hands if you touch it.
Speaker 6: They said, you'll see the parking lot where there's the fancy cars.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: So I'm driving down.
Speaker 2: A lot of fancy cars on the raggedy uh gravel, right. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And I went right by it, and I saw the cars.
Speaker 5: That I had turned around and come back.
Speaker 2: That's home me. So I enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: A thousand Oaks was a totally different not thousand, but valley is a totally different thing.
Speaker 2: Right there. That was five minutes from my house.
Speaker 5: Now you had to drive.
Speaker 2: I got to drive, you know, but I had a better car.
Speaker 6: And my first impression of walking into the locker room was on the side they were wooden lockers and on the side of each was at ash trade ye screwed into the side Also.
Speaker 2: At Texas Stadium were ass trays.
Speaker 4: And they weren't clean ash trays.
Speaker 7: Don't you remember the stadium also had ass trays, right, you know who put those in? Fitz Jerild Meredith, Okay, fitz jail would take the smoke as he was being introduced. You remember that he would smoke all the way down the tunnel, and when they were introducing, he put his cigarette out.
Speaker 2: And run out there.
Speaker 4: That was the smoke he were in through the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John fans jail Man.
Speaker 6: That first time I went to a baseball locker room was in Saint Louis. Joe peppotone. He was wearing a wig that he headed Hagen.
Speaker 2: On the side to pay to pay.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but but he was smoking in the You know, this is back when everybody's telling us you better not smoke. You know, you're an athlete, and there is Joe peppatone.
Speaker 7: Now these were old school guys, man, These are old school guys. You got you gotta think of what's the movie North Dallas forty. We weren't far removed from that, You're right, we were about ten years removed from that.
Speaker 4: That's like Barry Switcher. He'd be on the sideline in the Nebraska game.
Speaker 1: He'd be smoking a cigarette on the sideline, see on TV.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, Dick Allen in the in the dugout, he'd be sitting there cut this.
Speaker 2: See that's the old school when he smoked like that.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's what switch would do. He's trying to hide it like the TV cameras. Television.
Speaker 5: Yeah, all right, we got a game on.
Speaker 4: You're gonna talk Bryce Young Carolina Panthers and shut back here on mix shots. I got any texts.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: And they snapped the press guy who looks white, it's not there. He escaped, flapped. He'll look for a French down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 8: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot Com you.
Speaker 10: Know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those not shows high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school Pepsy finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite would a pairing can Crack's a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest spool Miller Lit, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Middle of Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Milibrun Company, Fort Worth, Texas, Demict shots.
Speaker 2: K Post Okay, Oh sorry, Savannah K. Poster.
Speaker 4: We're gonna take the play calling away from Everson now.
Speaker 7: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I will be giving you guys a call very soon. Trust me.
Speaker 4: I got good news to report on my plumbing issue on.
Speaker 2: Your little little slabs.
Speaker 4: My slab leak. It's now gonna that water pipe is going to now run through the attic. They're re routing as we speak, hopefully.
Speaker 7: So they're not going under No, they're not going to a tunnel. They're not using the tunnel.
Speaker 4: How do you have this quizzical going up in the middle of your figure out the wall like in the middle of them it goes up through the attic.
Speaker 5: Oh, I thought it was a re route. I thought it was.
Speaker 4: It was a slab like they cut. They cut, That's why they call it a reroute.
Speaker 6: The next the next week, it get's gonna just.
Speaker 4: It's gonna the whole house is going to get It's going to be raining in the house next time we get a leak. But at least, at least we won't have to go into the.
Speaker 5: Slab to have the tunnel under.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. And but the amazing thing about it, they are able to come out today to get it done. And we got family coming tomorrow, perfect time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, And I'm getting my fallen tree.
Speaker 4: The other thing that's great about it, I have to be here from nine am, and so my wife is the one. You're not dealing with it there ready to get a new hot water heater a couple of weeks ago, and I was in Phoenix covering the World Series. As I got out of that one too, perfect, Yes.
Speaker 6: So before we have to take the next break in a minute, yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I can't see the guy's.
Speaker 6: Name is anyway. Good afternoon, Oh Arthur from spring textas Oh, this is a text, this is a text. I've come to realize that a mix of powdered and Dottle is good enough for our run game.
Speaker 5: I'm good with the mixture of those two guys.
Speaker 4: And you guys, I liked it against the Giants, I was going to.
Speaker 7: Say I liked it against a very inferior team. I would have loved to have seen it in San Francisco, at least give it a try. I didn't see much of it against the Chargers. Did you did he play much against the Charger?
Speaker 5: I don't believe so and so.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And once again, this is McCarthy taking his time, showing his cause in a very methodical man.
Speaker 4: You're asking doubt Ale against the Chargers. Rico against the Chargers, he had three carries for twelve yards, and Pollard had fifteen carries for thirty yards. And he had six receptions for eighty yards, including that sixty yard.
Speaker 7: And it's not the amount of it's not yours per carry, it's moving the chains. So that's what we wanted for for moving the chains. We wanted for the third and goal, fourth and goal, that's what we wanted.
Speaker 4: He was in. He was in the game for ten snaps on offense against the Chargers San Francisco.
Speaker 6: He had five carries for fifteen yards.
Speaker 2: Is he a good receiver?
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 6: He caught a screen pass for a touchdown?
Speaker 5: Okay, right, nice, nice, I forgot that's right game.
Speaker 6: Well let's see it's right here.
Speaker 5: Oh that's running I gues you.
Speaker 7: Know, I found out from watching Zeke throughout the years, you have to have a little little I guess.
Speaker 4: To it against a zone Arizona, Daddell had any touchdown.
Speaker 5: Reception, Yes, fifteen yards.
Speaker 2: I love that to show his diversity throughout the year.
Speaker 7: And once again, like I said, McCarthy's taking his time and revealing just what Donald can do, because we really, you take out this last game, we just didn't see that much of him.
Speaker 4: He was saving for the Giants.
Speaker 6: The irony of this whole deal is what happened last year with the running game. Well, Pollard's got to have more carries.
Speaker 5: Zeke doesn't need.
Speaker 6: That, man, And now it's well donnelld needs more carries.
Speaker 5: Pollard doesn't need that.
Speaker 6: And the average per carries right about the same three point nine. I don't know if they improved it after this last game.
Speaker 5: I'm guessing they did well.
Speaker 4: Doddell had twelve carries for seventy nine yards, so their average per care was Tony Pollard.
Speaker 6: Like, they've moved the average per carry from from three point nine to four point zero.
Speaker 5: So yeah, let them use it.
Speaker 6: I'd like the different tempo between the two running backs, just like last year. Now you got Powered being the guy that's got to smash into the middle of the line, and then you bring in Donneal and they're kind of not used to his tempo.
Speaker 7: And no disrespect to any teams that we come up against, because you know, we know what happened is in Arizona, but I'd love to This should be our time to show all of those things that we're going to need to do in the playoffs. It's time for us to start working on that in the game situation, not just in practice, but in the game situation, just like you did against the Giants.
Speaker 2: Hopefully the next few games.
Speaker 7: At least this next game, we can work on some other things because we have that luxury. I'm hoping we have that luxury and that this is not some unnecessarily close game where we're going to be biting fingernails.
Speaker 6: Did you ever feel that way when you played? I did, like if you played an inferior opponent and you knew it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, if I was going up against an inferior wide receiver receiver, I tell Michael Downs, don't worry about me. Go check somewhere else, because this guy here, he ain't catch it nothing. He ain't catch you nothing, and if he does, it ain't gonna hurt us.
Speaker 4: So I love that confidence.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that was just you know, he had to size the guy up and see what you had and if you didn't have that much.
Speaker 2: Oh it was Shula.
Speaker 7: Shula had a son that played that was one of Indians Indianapolis Coats. That was one of the games I played against him, and I just told Mike, like, look, Mike, don't even worry about me over here. I can't believe the guy was starting. I mean, I wasn't any great athlete, but I was a good player. There's a difference. You could be an average athlete but still be a good player because you know your craft. Little Shuler wasn't either. I love it, and I guess I take Umbridge because his dad never said my name correctly, and I think Eberson he did that on purpose.
Speaker 4: He called you Emerson all the time, all the time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was still mad about that rookie year when we shut him down in Dallas after they were toasting me all game and I ended up getting the two picks and Ron ended up winning the game.
Speaker 2: He never forgave us for that.
Speaker 6: I got another one here. Can we get a blocking full back to open holes for Poward like Moose Johnson Johnston.
Speaker 5: Maybe for Emmett hmm. So they don't make.
Speaker 6: Fullbacks like Darryl Johnston?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do, we have one. Yeah, I mean he's not Daryl Johnston, but.
Speaker 5: Well not yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know what, give him a.
Speaker 7: Chance Johnson until he got a chance, right right.
Speaker 2: I would love to see Hennikey how he say his name?
Speaker 4: You got from lepke lipke lepke l u e p k e just like it's spelled right.
Speaker 7: I'd love to see him get some time. This could be. Yeah, well we could work with both of those guys.
Speaker 6: Do you remember the starting running backs in that game against you were you might have been already with the Giants.
Speaker 5: It was the one that got no. It might have been your nothing.
Speaker 6: Was that the eighty nine season when we got beat by the Giants fifteen to nothing. I think all of them kind of ran to get starting. The starting running backs were Darryl Johnston and Derek Brownlow.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember him.
Speaker 6: And Jimmy complained because it couldn't run the football.
Speaker 7: Well, it's up to his offensive line, not necessarily the running back. That's what he's probably thinking.
Speaker 4: I just found in the game where you were referencing where you went up against the Shula and wide receiver and it was Dave Shoela. I didn't even remember that Dave Shula played in the NFL.
Speaker 2: I can't believe he did.
Speaker 6: And that was the problem with everybody because he became a quarterback coach, never played quartera.
Speaker 4: Well, because at first you were mentioned a Shoela, I thought of Mike Shula, who played quarterback in Alabama.
Speaker 6: And you might have been benched by then because this was the second to last game of the eighties.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I was not.
Speaker 4: Which one are you talking about?
Speaker 2: He's talking about the running back where we had.
Speaker 6: Oh because because Jimmy got mad because they got he got inside like the five.
Speaker 5: Yard line and couldn't get into the end zone.
Speaker 2: I was on pump time.
Speaker 6: That was the one he chewed out the coaches because you weren't strong enough.
Speaker 2: I was on kickoff coverage in Publa. Twn.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 2: That was my by that time.
Speaker 4: That's what I was vagul the Dave Shula Colts game against the Cowboys. It was a thirty seven to thirteen Cowboys win on December sixth to nineteen eighty one, and he did not show up on the stat sheet as a not get a catch of that gay rookie? You shut him.
Speaker 2: I was ashamed. I was, I was. I was offended.
Speaker 4: Oh well, he did have a kick return for fifteen yards. Wow, one kick return for fifteen yards.
Speaker 7: I took joy in that game. I took pleasure in doing that. I didn't the top trash. I just whipped his little butt.
Speaker 5: I think we needed another break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, I'm I'm enjoying this. I'm enjoying this too much. I will say this though, the great Curtis Dickie at one hundred and thirty yards rushing.
Speaker 2: Never stop him. We could never stop him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one hundred and thirty yards and two touchdowns that before Dickison. Curtis Dickie. Wow, I remember him running track after North Texas at Risk.
Speaker 2: My rookie year. He broke one almost for like eighty yards. If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 7: In nineteen eighty one out in Baltimore, in Baltimore.
Speaker 4: Ye yeah, ye. Then years later I saw him. He was working security at Arlington Stadium. All right, more mix shots in just a moment of tales of A and U.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff? Tailgate's going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swack Brisky and the Smoker. Miller Lte and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest school. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football tastes like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 8: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 9: Snapped the fresh douy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped, flapped. He'll love full a punch down.
Speaker 8: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 8: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 8: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 5: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 10: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping or school PEPSI finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 4: That's what I like.
Speaker 5: Bots.
Speaker 7: George get a frameworthy family holiday photo with Santa at the Star presented by Monument Realty. Santa Claus will be at his cowboys themed cottage in the Star District from November seventeenth through December twenty fourth. Book your visit before December ninth and save five dollars with Cold Stars.
Speaker 2: Wait's Cold Star five? Cold Star five.
Speaker 5: They'll never figure it out.
Speaker 7: Now visit the Star District dot com slash Santa for more info.
Speaker 2: That's Cold Star five.
Speaker 4: Now what are we supposed to do with that code Store five?
Speaker 7: You're supposed to, uh, save five dollars with that code? Book your visit before December nine and say five dollars with code Star five.
Speaker 2: Okay, you want?
Speaker 5: We're good.
Speaker 2: You wanted to go online and do it? Now? Should I show you how's done?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: What do you want to know about Carolina Paths? I know they had all the answers for you.
Speaker 6: They've got They cut the guy that was starting at left guard, Calvin.
Speaker 2: Throckmart Is it contagious.
Speaker 6: Previous Yeah, their previous starter. Uh, Chandler Savalla is now no, yeah, is now starting.
Speaker 4: Fourth round draft pick out of North Carolina State.
Speaker 6: Right, he had was starting, had a neck injury, and then they started throck Morton Calvin last name. I just thought it was a town up there.
Speaker 4: By, a town, I think, Bob, That's what I think I remember it from.
Speaker 5: So anyway, what do we have to fear?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not being and.
Speaker 6: They're tied end by the way, Hayden Hurst is a concussion protocol if you were.
Speaker 7: Going to look at someone besides the return man that we should really be concerned about.
Speaker 2: A group of that.
Speaker 7: We can say defensive line, offensive Brian Burns, linebackers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, ed rusher, Brian Burns.
Speaker 6: I gave you that stat earlier at twelve.
Speaker 4: And a half sacks last year.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many this year?
Speaker 6: Well, Chubba hob pretty good. The running back Cuba Cuba Hubbard.
Speaker 4: You said that right the other day, Cuba Hubbard, Oklahoma State Canadian.
Speaker 6: Brian Burns better be because he's wearing number number zero. You heard Dion's ran on that. No, why would you want to be a zero? That means you're nothing. He wouldn't let any if his guys wear zero.
Speaker 2: That is an odd number. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable ones here.
Speaker 5: Everybody wanted it though.
Speaker 4: But Brian Burns made the Pro Bowl the last two years.
Speaker 2: And who's he going up against?
Speaker 4: Well, who's starting to tackle with Terrence Steele. I mean, I think they move them around their defense. It's very similar to the Chargers defense. Jero Evero is the defensive coordinator who was on Mike McCarthy's staff with Green Bay in twenty sixteen. He was with Denver last year. But the key there is Dom Capers is the senior defensive assistant and so he's got Capers there good, yes, And Capers was with McCarthy for ten years and they had top ten defenses. Everyone talks about the Packers offense with Aaron Rodgers when McCarthy was there, well, their defenses were good too, and for ten years there. And if you go back in history, Vic Fangio was on Caper's staff at Carolina and then when he was also the head coach of the Houston Texans. Well, Brandon Staley, who's the head coach of the Chargers, was from the was under Vic Fangio and at Chicago and Denver, and so it's that type of defense that the Chargers run is the same thing that the Panthers run.
Speaker 6: And Caper's the first head coach at Carolina.
Speaker 4: Yeah, first head coach, and Fangio was on his staff.
Speaker 6: Well, here's what you need to know about Dwayne Brown.
Speaker 5: He's one of.
Speaker 6: Just five players league wide to record at least forty five plus tackles.
Speaker 4: You're talking about plus.
Speaker 6: Tackles for a loss and eight quarterback hits through the first.
Speaker 4: Derek weeks Derek, you said, Dwayne Brown. Derek Brown. Yeah, first round draft pick in twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: So the Panther Media Guide spotlighted Derek Brown.
Speaker 2: And he is the edgeresser.
Speaker 4: No, he's in interior.
Speaker 5: Well they call him a defensive end.
Speaker 4: So they's a three man front three four yeah, which would be your like five techniques.
Speaker 7: So if I were them, then I would man I finally isolated them on steel side, thinking that that would be a weakness.
Speaker 2: I'm just looking. I'm just trying to think of things.
Speaker 7: If I'm a coach, and this is the way all the coaches I've known have done it, where are our landmines.
Speaker 4: And there's a linebacker named Frankie Luvu who had seven sacks last year and he's on pace to have seven sacks again this year. He's got three and a half this year, and so he'll they'll bring him. They lost Shaq Thompson to an injury first game of the season, fractured fibula, out for the year. And they lost j. C. Horn, their first round draft pick cornerback, to a hamstring injury first of the year and now but j C. Horn has been designated to return this week. Just a couple of days ago he returned to practice. Now whether he's be ready to go Sunday. They Frank w Reich didn't sound as confident about him as he did someone else that could. I can't recall who it was.
Speaker 6: Well, and just don't forget they're starting safety Xavier Woods along with von Bell.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: If that secondary can't cover our receivers, then they're going to have a problem.
Speaker 6: Well, I wonder what they do, because the Giants seemed like they were going to be stubborn and go man they did.
Speaker 5: That didn't work very well.
Speaker 2: No, I did not. That's always been a knock on deck.
Speaker 7: Let's give hope for pressure and with a man to man they could you know, they don't want they didn't let them create separation.
Speaker 2: By the wide receivers. That's the goal.
Speaker 7: Well that, like you said, that didn't work out because we started using movements and the more we start using movement and the bus I feel real good about this offense.
Speaker 6: So when you move movement like move, when you use movement like that, does that force you to go zone?
Speaker 2: Well? No, it forces them to show what they're what they're running.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know, but yeah, if you're a defense and you're getting.
Speaker 2: You don't necessarily have to You don't go No, you don't know what I mean.
Speaker 7: I would if you if you're still in if they move them and you're still in man to man, you're going to stay in man to man. And I would imagine if they're smart, whoever they move, they're probably going to double team that guy whoever goes in motion.
Speaker 6: Because I remember, like twenty five years ago when the bunch formations just became a thing in high school and I was watching a high school game and the one school was trying to play man against.
Speaker 5: This and they were running into each other.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I remember asking Mike zimmer I said, so can you can you teach high school kids to play zone? He goes, I don't know if they have enough practice time to do it.
Speaker 7: What if you move into what if you motion into a bunch and you have to be ready if it's gonna goes on, two goes on. But otherwise you better have a plan on who's gonna stay with who. And sometimes those two guys that are on the line already that he's a promotioning towards, they might have their own game plan on how to deal with those two guys on law school right, like we call it banjo.
Speaker 6: And they were crisscrossing and they weren't saying, okay, you take the receiver to the outside.
Speaker 5: And you take the receiver to the insight.
Speaker 6: They were trying to stay with the man in front of him, and they're running into each other.
Speaker 2: Let's hope that continues.
Speaker 6: I think the defenses might be a little bit more sophisticated than they were twenty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're going to hear from you via text tomorrow. Yes, sir, with your picks to win and picks to click.
Speaker 5: You think and I need have the pod pick or something.
Speaker 4: We will have a pod pick. I guess we'll figure out.
Speaker 6: We're gonna got a text that to me that we're going to get a text from the Dominican.
Speaker 4: We will. Maybe we will.
Speaker 5: Savannah, Yeah, they might not have Wi Fi on the beach here.
Speaker 2: I don't think she cares.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that does it for this Thursday edition of Mixed Shots, and we will some of us, two of us will shout at you tomorrow here on Many and Frisco.
Speaker 2: Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club