Speaker 1: This episode of X ray Vision is brought to you by the new Hulu original series Unprisoned, starring Kerry Washington and Delroy Lindo. Imagine you're a single, working mother who's dating and even about to buy a new house. Life is going pretty good until your dad comes back to live with you after seventeen years of being in prison. Think you've got daddy issues. Well, hers are moving in Unprisoned Starry Kerry Washington, Delroy Lindo premiere's Friday, March tenth, streaming only on Hulu. Sam Sanders and his two best friends, writer Sayi Jones and journalist Tony. Award winning producer Zac Stafford of every New podcast where they make sense of what's going on in the news and culture, from Elon Musk and foreign policy to pelotons and Rihanna headlining the Super Bowl halftime show. They check the vibe of what's going on in the world and how it all feels. It's your favorite group chat come to life. Join the weekly Key Key every Wednesday, listen to and follow Vibe check wherever you get your podcast tests. This podcast can eat spoilers for the season three premiere of The Mandalorian as well as spoilers for a few episodes of the book above Feed that featured our good friend Den Jarren. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and on Erseay Night and welcome to x ray Vision, the Crooked Media podcast where we dive deep to your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode on the airlock, who we're in a gallery. The baby's back. We wanted him. He's back, and he's back. That baby, that puppet, that million dollar child. I love him, we love him. And we're stepping out of the airlock into galaxy far far away for the premiere of season three of The Mandalorian. And in that out guess what, somebody, a listener named Whitney came through with a very relevant theory about the Mandalorian and the doc Seba.
Speaker 1: And of course, if you want to jump around, check the show notes for time stamps. Let's go to the airlock. We're stepping out of the airlock for season three's premiere of The Mandalorian on Disney Pluce. This episode is chapter seventeen via Apostate, was written by Jon Favreau and directed by Rick Famuilla. And let's before we dive into the recap, talk about where we left off after season two, where we left our good friend Dinn, where we left our good friend Grogu, Where we left all our wonderful Galaxy far far away friends out in Star Wars land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so obviously I think everyone remembers that massive moment, you know, where Luke Skywalker came. Ever heard of him? Luke Skywalker, once known as Luke star Killer, Now well here he is. He came, his face was ciged to look younger. It was voiced by none other than Mark Hamill. And he took the baby. He was taking that baby, and he was like, I gotta gotta take that baby and turn him into a Jedi. But Boba Fett Book of Boba fair to show that I found very charming, sequential Star Wars storytelling of the highest oldest fashioned order. There we saw that the baby. He went back to the Manlorian, gotta get the baby back. Look, nobody wants to love that baby.
Speaker 1: Baby, baby back, baby back, Babby.
Speaker 2: Babies, ribs no ribs. So so if you think about it like this, Look, Disney knew from the very first moment that they saw the end of the first episode.
Speaker 1: That the Stark started dropping.
Speaker 2: You know, the baby is not going to stay with Luke. The baby has to go back pagerber Scal. You've got to have everyone's favorite space daddy looking after everyone's favorite space baby. So in a very powerful moment that we talked about quite extensively because we thought this was really cool, very Avatar The Last Airbender inspired. It felt like as well, the baby chose to go with Din and now dinners in this hilarious space where he's just kind of like, yeah, my mission's over. But guess what, baby came back. So now I'm just with this baby, just chilling. But if you remember Dinn, thanks to his love of the baby, he took off his mask. Done dumb means he broke the Mandalorian code and the especially strict death Watch code. So now he has to find a way to redeem himself in the eyes of mandal Why does he want to do that, I don't know. He must be in a Mandalorian But so that's where in him and the baby, they're just just chilling in space in a very cool The Boos star Fighter. The baby's looking cute and look popping out in the I mean, every time you see this puppet. You're just so happy.
Speaker 1: There's some wonderful shots of the baby. Yeah. I feel my serotonin rise every time the camera graces the face of our good friend Grogu, that beautiful fifty three now year old baby. Let's go to the recap. We open on some planet somewhere. It looks, you know, very desert e, very sandy, except there is a large body of water here. We'll talk about that lar in a bit. The armor is in her workshop. She is forging some bit of bestcar armor. And it is a helmet, the key of course to the Mandalorian identity. Steps out of the cave between ranks of Mandalorians that the Mandalorian tribe growing, you know, had been essentially decimated in recent years, but has clearly been growing since we caught back up with them in season one of the Mandalorian. And she presents this helmet to a youth, and then they speak the creed of the Mandalorian faith. I swear in my name and the names of my ancestors, that I shall walk the way of the Mandalor, and the words of the creed shall be forever forged in my heart. And the boy repeats this and the armor, places the helmet on his head and then they say, this is the way. From this moment on, I shall never remove my helmet. And he repeats this, and just as he does, a giant alligator like alien bursts from the waterline. Are we not best told about it? Like? Can we go a little? Did we not do an appropriate scouting of the wildlife in this area? Why are we this close to the habitat of a giant in the cave?
Speaker 2: Just in the cave, just in the cave? Like you added out you had to do this induction ceremony on the shore of Lake Placet like this, this is a alligat. And also I feel like I feel like the Mandalorian way, the deathwatchway, this kind of hardcore or vision or first Yeah, they need to rethink their connection with the galaxy and the animals of the planet.
Speaker 1: Like I agree with that.
Speaker 2: This is this alligator is just chilling in a lake and you come down, bring in a little tasty looking child into its mist Its legs are flipping around in the water as it stands.
Speaker 1: He's just hungry.
Speaker 2: You're not doing anything wrong. He just wants a snack. You're tempting him. I feel like you could have been anywhere else.
Speaker 1: Also, you said, I think something important. Listen, we know why they didn't do that, because you need a cool action seater. But like, just go back into the cave and wait it out, and then when it leaves, come out and say, okay, let's move inland and lets move one hundred yards in.
Speaker 2: And you are right because the real truth is that looks sick.
Speaker 1: Like I that alligator looks.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, incredible creature work. I literally was like, oh, this is where the budget of a man in the osp went. Like it literally that alligator. It looks like a real live dragon.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful.
Speaker 2: I love a creature. But you know what I don't love. I don't love to see all these Mandalorians trying to blow up this alligator.
Speaker 1: Who just really did They open up with everything they have. They send the the younglings to safety, and then they start just like unleashing hell on this alligator from ground and of course from the air with their jetpacks. You got a couple of Mandalorians fly up and attached thermal detonation.
Speaker 2: That bomb and eyed of the beast.
Speaker 1: No effect. They're opening fire with all kinds of things you had a couple of Mandalorians and this I didn't get what the end goal was here. You had a couple of Mandalorian warriors shoot their grappling cables into the animal's neck.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like they thought they could like pull it down, but.
Speaker 1: Five hundred tons, it's huge, and.
Speaker 2: It's also like sixty five million years aldough something. This thing is a dinosaur.
Speaker 1: Like what you think, goes into a roll that's like twelve guys were attached to the alligator get maimed.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The armor then rushes forward to save uh, the stricken Mandalorians who are still attached by their cables. Pas Visla saves a young boy. Uh, and that opens up with that uh, that rotary cannon that he has. And just when it seems like, you know what, the fledgling Mandalorian people just getting back on their feet after you know, the U, after the purge and the Empire's depredations on their society and culture, they're gonna get destroyed once again by your fucking alligator. And n one starfighter streaks overhead, and the Mando is here and he shraced the alligator, and it's barbecue gator for everybody, and they ate this gater.
Speaker 2: They have to eat. They have to they have to be so for like a long time. Also, please, this man loves to kill a giant ancient animal.
Speaker 1: I think of it.
Speaker 2: He's kid, but like, please just just think twice he's killing.
Speaker 1: This guy has killed some realgaphone creatures. So later on, Dinn and our good friend baby Grew Grew were hanging out with the Armor, and the Armor is like lecturing Mando once again. You know, hey, you took off your helmet. Remember that thing where you took off your helmet. Guess what? You can't be accepted back into Mandalorian society. And then Mando's like, yeah, but I've been studying my Mandalorian tracts, okay, and the Creed talks of redemption, does it not. The Armor is like, yeah, but you know, redemption you can only do redemption at the living waters under the minds of Mandalor. And as we all know, ever since the Imperial Purge of Mandalor, that shit is poisoned. You can't go there anymore. So you are an outcast. Why am I even talking to you because I like you, but like, officially do this anymore? And then Dinn is like, Okay, that's a good point, but what if the minds of Mandolor still exist? Boom, he lays a chunk of crystal, you know, the the as the Empire bombarded Mandolor, like it turned the surface of the planet into this, like crystal is green, crystal, yes, And he lays this chunk of crystal on the armorer's work bench and it has a Mandalorian inscription on it.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I was just gonna say, the really interesting thing that that idea of the Empire, like turning these planets to crystal in it's from legends and they call it glossing, and it would happen. It was this horrifying thing that would happen. So it's one of more of these. This is an episode where we get a lot of animation nods and these little legends knots and that's so cool to see. It almost looks like kryptonite.
Speaker 1: That's so it was really a really cool moment and really like Hammer's Home, the violence of what was done to the Mandalorian people. Dinn is like, yeah, you know, I got this from a from Jahwa's who said that they got it from a traveler, who in turn claims to a visited Mandalor and does this not prove that Mandalor, while maybe not fully inhabitable, you know, like poisoned, is at least like not super poisonous like you, I could go there. Uh. And here's my plan, Armor, I think you figured it out. I'm gonna go to Mandalor. I'm gonna go to the minds of Mandalor. I'm gonna go under the minds of Mandalor, and I'm gonna bathe in the redemptive water living waters. Yea, what do you say about that? And the Armor is like, you know what, this is the way I can't.
Speaker 2: She's sorry, you're you know what?
Speaker 1: You got me there. It's a good plan.
Speaker 2: She's like, then come back and see me.
Speaker 1: This is the way baby Yoda clearly loves it. Now, let me ask you this. This is just shows you how I would not I would not be able to excel, survive, thrive in Mandalorian society. I would just leave for a couple of weeks, hang out in Navarro with my buddy Grief more on him later, come back and said, so I did it. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: So it's like a magic Here's what's I did it?
Speaker 1: I gave to the waters. It was pretty cool. It is kind and uh, I'm redeemed, so what's up in my back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And also like you probably would survive. I would say that's actually probably the smartest version. Also you just be like guess what, you know what? Don't just have to take my word for it. Cool baby was here and he also he.
Speaker 1: Also saw didn't you?
Speaker 2: And Gregor was like yeah, because greg will do anything. Gregor's like a trouble He's down and he's a troublemaker. He loves to cause a bit of mischief.
Speaker 1: He would like to.
Speaker 2: Pull a prank. All he does the right idea, that's what he should be doing.
Speaker 1: X Ray Vision will be back. The important work of political and civic engagement doesn't just happen every two years. Vote Save America's No Off Years programmer is here to help you stay engaged through twenty twenty three's critical election, starting with a must win Supreme Court seat in Wisconsin. Visit votes save America dot com right now. Donate now to help get out the vote in Wisconsin ahead of their April elections, and sign up to join our No Off Years campaign to stay in the loop on what's happening and how you can get involved via remote and in person volunteer opportunities, targeted donations and more. That's Vote Save America dot com. And we're back. So they head off to go do this. They're in hyperspace. You know, that beautiful kind of like web of light is all around the end one ship. As they move through this hyperspace tunnel and the baby Yoda, a look of wonder goes across this cute, little, beautiful little face of Grogu. And it's not just the wonder of interstellar travel. We see that he is looking at a huge whale like creature with tentacles. It is a pergol, and in fact, it's several pers this way. This was the first time I really felt the scale of them. They're fucking huge. Yeah, that was really cool. It's so huge. It really feels like, of course purgols were we first saw them in Rebels, and they they are space whales essentially that can travel hyper space tunnels just through their own natural abilities. And it really feels like they're setting the Purgle up to be part of some larger mysteries. I definitely think so, but it feels like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and in the current Star Wars canon books, there's kind of been this expansion of the idea of hyperspace is almost like its own landscape and its own ecology. And and I think that the inclusion of the Purgele is also like big hint towards like a Soca, because this had they had a big moment in the final in the and kind of of Rebels. So it's very interesting see And I love this because you're right, like in the in Rebels, you get to see stuff. But in this moment where you have the tiny baby and this Nabou ship which we've seen is quite formidable, but it is absolutely dwarfed. And at first Grogu's so into it and there's one and it's beautiful, but when he realizes there's four or five, he like runs away.
Speaker 1: It was really really wondrous. Din does not see the Purgles because he is fast asleep at the fucking wheel, which I get it. He's doing a lot and this single parent he needs to catch some shut eye, and you get this really cute moment where Grogu goes through the little tunnel that attaches his bubble to like the main cockpit and he just like pops up. Yeah, he snuggles in and he's like scary so much that they land on Navarro, the gem of the Outer Rim, and you gotta say, looking shiny. He is looking fucking great. It looks great. Uh Grogu is cooing at the sights and sounds of this lively town center. Now including we see a troop of kuwaky and monkey lizards in the trees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and ne're free because in the original we'd seen them before in cages, but here they're just chilling like funny monkeys in the tree looking grossations.
Speaker 1: Crumb Dinn is equally amazed. It's like, holy shit, like this place is really really changed. And they go to the town square where they find a statue of their erstwhile ally come enemy I G. Eleven. You know, one of our one of our favorite robot droid bounty hunters turned unlikely hero, voiced of course by title Titi.
Speaker 2: I Know Unexpected Tika come back.
Speaker 1: Is that what this is?
Speaker 2: Promist season three?
Speaker 1: And as they're gazing up at the at the conical figure of the late I G. Eleven, the trademark booming voice of Greek cargo we love you.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: Is anyone having more fun than Carl Weathers.
Speaker 2: I'm not never impossible. This man lived to be in this role in this show, and now his town is thriving and he's feeling good. He's looking good.
Speaker 1: Oh my, he looks rich, looking rich.
Speaker 2: That cape is heavy. He has two droids who just follow him around.
Speaker 1: Floor Droid, where do you get cap droid? I need to cap droids?
Speaker 2: Definitely him.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely. I mean it's this beautiful like scarlet velvet cape with all this like gold detailing, and from the back it's like all gold and as you mentioned, it's got these little two little red droids on either side of the cape that hold it off the dusty ground. Amazing. And then we find out that Grief Cargo has a new title as well. He's the not the Magistrate of Novarro, He's the High Magistrate. And he's like, let's go to my office. Uh, and let's catch up. So they go to his office. Kargo is like, here's what's going on in Navarro. Trade is up, construction is booming. The mining interests out here in the Navarro system are just pouring credits into the planet. Money money, money, really really good. It's money, money, money money. Here's how good it's going. Would you like a free mansion, because.
Speaker 2: That's what I got for you would have to become a landown How.
Speaker 1: Would you like that? Let me ask you this, Mando, a deal you can't refuse. How would you like a prime piece of real estate out by the hot springs? Do you know how much real estate over by the hot springs? This you could? You and the little one hang up your blasters, live off the fat of the land. And Mando's like, dah a bathe in the living I gotta go.
Speaker 2: You know what, grief corganose. Yeah, he sees this baby. He's like, why is the baby still here? And he's like, you know.
Speaker 1: What, you still a baby.
Speaker 2: He's like, this man obviously loves this baby. And he's like, what does a man and a baby need? They need a house. He's like, why don't you just say a house? He's right, this is giving me big the lost of us vibes. Please paydro Pascal, spend some time with your child in a safe space. Stop taking me on dangerous journeys.
Speaker 1: And we should add that while this conversation about Mando for insane reasons turning down a free fucking house, our good friend Baby Yoda, the beautiful fifty three year old baby is sitting in Grief Cargo's office chair, using the force to spind the chair.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love it. So Dan explains why he's still hanging out with Baby Yoda and why he can't take a free house. That's the whole thing. I'm in apostate. I need the bathe in the living waters. Any redemption, yeah yeah, and Cargo's like, okay, but you be landed Gentry like this is great, no, and then what about it? Think about it. But before they can really mulle it over any further Grief's protocol, Droid enters and is like, we got a problem. Some pirates into pirates, and it turns out Grief knows these pirates. Their leader is a nick do named Vain who works for pirate king Shard. Carga is like, okay, let's get off the street here. You guys are there. The pirates are like knocking, like trying to get into this building that they think is a canteena but it's actually a school now because Navarro is significantly clean. Yeah, and cars like that's a school. You're bothering The Droid teachers there. Let's just go to my office and talk this over. And of course Mando is there leaning as a tree, giving him the appropriate muscle that he might need to get these pirates off the street. And Vain is like, listen, what happened to you man? You paid us for murder and mayhem inside this building that is now apparently a school, and now you're talking about it's a school, and you're just like soft, Now, what the fuck is going on? So Vain like moves his cape away from his blaster. Cargo moves his cape away from his blaster, and then all of a sudden they draw and Carga is a badass and shoots skins choice absolutely and then it's like, okay, I shot your blaster out of your head. You get it. Don't fuck with me, now get out of here. Uh. And the pirates, by the way they move, clearly we're not gonna get out of here, because they did, you know, they did some quick counting, like, well, there's six of us, and there's two of this guy. You know, there's one there's Grief Carga and another guy. I think we could take them, even though the other guy is wearing Mandalorian armor, like can we.
Speaker 2: Even blaster probably would be some kind of like myths around him, seeing like the fucking morons anyway.
Speaker 1: Uh So they basically make a move like they're gonna do something, and Carga and Mando gun them all down. Okay, mass murder on the streets of And then Carga is like, okay, Vane get out of here. And Man's like, are you sure you gonna let this guy go? But the High Magistrate is like, yeah, it's a great idea because he's gonna go, and he's gonna tell the other pirates that all our pirates died and uh and he's gonna say don't go back to Navarro because they're badasses there. And so that's over, and Cargo and Amanda were walking back I would assume to Grief's office and he's like, okay, but here's the thing. These pirates are coming by every once in a while, different things are happening, and we need a marshall. So Amanda's like, what about my good friend, former rebel trooper Karen Done, what's she up to? Well? Grief is like, well, she's now a notorious anti vaxxer and far right figure, but also she's been recruited by the New Republic Special Force, Special Forces. She's at social Forces, so she's out of it. We can't at her back. Uh. And by the way, since you asked about Carado. And here's what's also going on with maff Gideon and our good friend mof Gindeon, who you got the Dark Saver from. He is currently standing trial for crimes against the galaxy. Uh So what do you say, Marshall? Sounds good?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: That house still available? And Din is like, I don't know, why don't you just like ring up the New Republicans? Say you see what I'm saying. Yeah, And Cargo's like, here's the thing. The New Republic's all the way in the fucking center of the galaxy. We're out here in the outer room. What are they gonna do? Like, I don't want to. We dealt with this the first time with the Empire and previously the Republic, and it's like they're too far away to help us. And he continues, under my watch, Navarro will become the first truly independent trade anchor in the entire sector. Will you be my Marshall Mando And a free house over by the beautiful hot springs of Navarro, and Mando's like I can't.
Speaker 2: He's like, man, a man, do you have redemptive waters because.
Speaker 1: Of the area. So Cargos like, okay, I'm sorry. I've been monopolizing this whole conversation ever since you landed here, you know, you and baby Groogu, I've been I've been selfishly offering you a free house.
Speaker 2: Oh how I don't know half business.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to ask. I didn't ask you what what you needed? What do you need? It is like I got a crazy ask resurrect I g eleven what.
Speaker 2: I was like, that was all I was expecting. Also, like did he go that just to see an old friend? Did he know the statue was that? Is this just cherry picked off his head?
Speaker 1: It was just like a I think it's just like an idea that like he just came in hot gazed on the statue, was like, you know what I want? My fucking I hated. I know, like as recently as earlier in this series, I fucking hated like hated, and I mean capital h hated on droid.
Speaker 2: But this was no one who changed this one.
Speaker 1: There was a connection there. It's Tito and TD I my good buddy Hig eleven back. Let's resurrect him. And Cargo is like, I don't. He's destroyed and also like his parts are in a statue and the like, and so Mandal's like, yeah, exactly, so he's parts are still there, Like, get him out. I need a droid I can trust to help me explore mandalore and Cargo's like, listen, this is the new Navarro we're talking about here, Like, we are packed to the gills with droids. You want the fucking best droid ever? Like, I can get you your pick of the litter. You can have any droids you want, And did is like, no, I want that busted fucking droid that's currently a statue that tried to kill me and and baby Yoda the first time.
Speaker 2: It was a US actually programmed solely to kill baby Yoda. So I just really need him back. And He's like, I guess, I guess In the in dinger inside, He's like, well, this guy was about to give me like a house, and so I'm sure he would just give me this old pop of a statue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it is. I think it's a It's actually emblematic of Din's personality. Which is like other Mandalorians, he is extremely set in his ways and beholden to the creative and the culture and society of Mandalori. But unlike all the other Mandalorians we've seen up to now, and certainly any of the ones that he's interacted with, he does have the ability to change, to learn, and when he does do that, like his connection with Grogu is taking off his helmet. The bond he clearly formed with Ig eleven, it is it that bond with whatever surprising person that is usually outside of the sphere of interest orience, is very very strong. And now that he has had a good experience with this one droid, his his ban on like ever interacting with the droids is gone. But he only wants to interact with with this one. I had the good experience with the one droid. Rest of us, he's.
Speaker 2: Chill without the droids to them, like he's not saying I hate droids all the time, But he doesn't want to bring a droid on this important mission to have a bath.
Speaker 1: This needs to be aid. He can trust, I can and he knows, and he also knows like listen, you eleven can handle it.
Speaker 2: Will sacrifice his life for the baby and the Mandalorian. So that's a good person to have on your side.
Speaker 1: So, uh, carg is like, Okay, here's here's what a good friend I am and I have been ever since. You have come back into your house your job. Now, come and drag this busted fucking bounty hunting robot to my office. Not like any workshop or to my office. Bring it to my office and you can fix it on my desk. So so Mando is like, okay, you know, he's doing his thing, and he gets IG eleven comes online, eyes immediately go red. It has you know, uh gone back to its original kill Baby Yoda program, And like the T eight hundred at the end of the first Terminator is like crawling around on the kill that asset, destroy the asset, kill the ascid.
Speaker 2: It's very nightmarish and extremely well done and really creepy.
Speaker 1: And Mando is just like firing off blaster shots in the office. He then this was so funny to me. Then like laterals, Baby Yoda's grief like a target.
Speaker 2: It's all a baby Yoda. It looks like you just he's like a kid. He's just like Heydary Yoda.
Speaker 1: Baby Yoda can take Baby Yoda like has the I shouldn't be worried. Baby could probably have like yes, not a problem, but still it was a funny visual to just like so funny eat Baby Yoda into the arms of grief cars.
Speaker 2: Always hilarious to see a puppet like with its legs, you know, like so immediately lots like a doll. When you see the bike, it's like come riding a bike. It's just like and obviously Carl Weathers was ready to catch it those hench muscles. He was like, the baby's fine.
Speaker 1: So then I g is like just laser focused on this baby and like it turns and is crawling down to a grief cargo and baby Yoda and quick thinking by the man streets protocol Driid who drops a pretty substantial bust of grief cargo. Then he just has yeah IG's head crushing it. And then Mando gives a very schwartzenegria Yeah yeah yeah yeah, like line, now that's using your head.
Speaker 2: They're doing a lot of fun like predator esque like Mando and Car and Grief do the do the like your son of a bitch like.
Speaker 1: Honold dr There was a lot of like hat tips to predator in this movie, Like that what that line was clearly in sportsnigger?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's It's such a fun sequence. And also like now I feel like, bro, just take the Protocol Driid. Like that droid is a quick droid saved joy life. He saved your life. He thought of that plan when you and you guys were about to get muked by like a fucking half a dead body. Why don't you just take that guy?
Speaker 1: Why you need this? I g that protocol droid was like like a rookie in sports just having a great game. It's like, can we appreciate the quick thinking? This protocol doid is just here to be like the pirates. You hear and speak eight thousand languages, and here he is saving the high magistrate end his friend's life and a baby shout like either give him a raise, more oil, better quality motor oil, like whatever he needs, like, give it to him. X Ray Vision will be back. We're excited to announce the return of Stuck with Damon Young, an original podcast from crookeet a Spotify On this show, award winning author Damon Young has returned for more off the cough conversations inspired by today's most culturally relevant headlines and roundups of Damon approved listeners submitted questions. The first two episodes are live. Now you're gonna love this show. Listen to Stuck with Damon Young for free only on Spotify, and we're back. But of course, Mando is not giving up on this crazy notion to resurrect IG eleven. He's like, Okay, I still want to do it. I still want to know that.
Speaker 2: Now his head is crushed, He's like, but maybe we can find a way.
Speaker 1: Is there not something we could do? And carga again. I have to respect this man's dedication to doing pr for Navarro at every turn. He's like, well, in addition to the beautiful hot springs, to Navarro being the gem of the Outer Rim, to the burgeoning construction boom that is going on here at our local wildlife that you can see all throughout the town square, did you know that some of the finest droid smith's in the galaxy have been drawn to the low taxes and friendly business environments in the Outer Rim.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about this as well is you have to be like, You're like, I love that, and you are so right. I respect his sales pitch Old time. But I have to ask you, Grief, I have to ask your question. If that is the case, and it seems to be, why didn't you just take him that first, take it to your office and let this reckless babysitter do this dangerous situation, like take him first to these he little guys.
Speaker 1: I think that is a fair question. I also think that from what we know of Mando, Mando.
Speaker 2: Is he's going to do it.
Speaker 1: You know, he's like, yeah, he's like the guy. He's definitely the guy that if he's driving and he misses the exit and you try to tell him, oh, I'm going the right way. Yeah no, no, I'm this is the correct way to repair a droid that has been fully destroyed. Do I know how to do this? I've ever done this before? No, but I've seen it done. I know. I'm so Carga takes ig the carcass of ig Din and a little baby Grogu to the droid smith's and guess who they are. It's our friends then Zellen's, uh, the same species as are good friend Babu Frick. You remember the cute little Anzellen's. They have this wonderful little workshop. It's such a good scene. It's a practical workshop and you know.
Speaker 2: I have to fall through the door to get there. And then Mando's sitting there and he's giant in this kind of tiny sized workshop where everything's made for.
Speaker 1: The love this and they.
Speaker 2: All have big babo freak energy. There's like really great moment where like the baby is trying to like hug and anzelling because he thinks it's cute, and and the Azelin's like, bad baby, bad baby.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It was so yeah. Grogu's like, can I just like have an inzell and like as a pet? It was so I absolutely love the design here. It reminded me of the for those of U for anyone that remembers Fragle Rock ye yeah users from fregle Rock. It was just like it was just really cool. So uh, the droid Smiths are like, Okay, here's the deal. This droid is really really fucked up and we can get him back online. But if you want to do it, we need to get the memory circuit. And but like I don't know where we get one side quest and now it's time for a side quest. And as they're leaving, as you mentioned, Grogu is like trying to pick up his answer.
Speaker 2: It's like take it with them, yeah, and it's like I love this. They do this great comedy moment here where car Weathers really gets to shine, where like you can kind of understand lands Ellen's but it's almost like a it's like a mishmash of English and their own language. So so Grief is outside and he keeps kneeling down, and at first his translation is like really helpful, but by the end, the guys, the little guy's just like, eh, no memory, and Mando's like I can literally understand, but Grief just keeps translating. He's very helpful friend, he is.
Speaker 1: So then man do Grogu head off to go find this memory circuit wherever it is. They're in space, they're in the end one, they're flying around. Mando is unlike unlike Paterro, Pascal's other character Joel, teaching his young charge like how to do stuff, you know, like, Okay, here's how the ship works, and here's what this dial does, and here's what this display does. And look at this. Guess what we have enemies in the area. It's the pirates. The pirates are back and they're here to take revenge on Mando for killing a bunch of pirates, you know on the surface. Navarro Vain is of course leading them, and he radios in. He's like, okay, we are pirate King Goryan shardsman and you will answer to him. And then a dogfight pops off. But Mando Mando is really good. I mean, we've seen Mando work and there's no way he's gonna get taken down by like six idiot pirates. So he picks him off one by one. But in Vain is like, okay, I'm out of here. I'm I'm gonna rab it. But Vain is leading them to the flagship of pirate King Shard. We see Shard, who is like a green spinach momk yeah, he's like swamp thing.
Speaker 2: He's got green spinach fay red eyes. I mean, it looks like something good on Marvel forgetting that one in that fuss.
Speaker 1: It was really cute. So he gets uh, Pirate King Shard gets a lock on the end one and is like, hey, here's what's up. I got a lock on your ship. I'm gonna destroy you. Surrender your ship. I'll let you live. Uh, and Manda then imparts some really really great space, says kid. Never trust a pirate, and then they make a run for it, and of course they get away because pirates are idiots. They fly to the Mandalor system, specifically the planet Killavalla, and they land at this beautiful Mandalorian castle, like on the seaside on a cliff. It's absolutely gorgeous if it's the home of our good friend Bocatan, he says, and she's like, well, guess what, there's nothing to join and fuck you. And also where's the Dark Saver? I don't see it. And by the way, if I had had it, my entire army wouldn't of like left me because I came back with the Dark Saber and nobody wants to follow me anymore. So you know you're an asshole, she says to Din. Well, since you've got the Dark Saber wherever the fuck it is, why don't you use it? You rally an army yourself, and then they'll just do whatever you want to do. She is very, very salty.
Speaker 2: She's saying that helmet off looking mad doing the gang on the throne with the leg up. She is definitely uh posed as more of an antagonist than an ally at this point in time.
Speaker 1: And so then Mando is like, well, here's what I'm in town to do. Get this. I'm going to Mandalor and she's like why. She's like there's nothing there, what do you What are you gonna do there? And he's like, well, I'm gonna go under the mines and I'm gonna bathe in the living waters and I'm gonna be redeemed. And then Bo's like, you're a moron. There's She's like, it's all the planet is wrecked, it's radioactive, destroyed, no one could live there, but like, listen, who am I to stop a fool from his errand if you want to go the Living Waters are underneath the civic center in the city of Sindari, And Manda says, guess what I'm fucking going. Yeah, Peace.
Speaker 2: I have to say. I feel like Mando is so concerned with having his little bath that he does not realize BO is pissed, and I'm assuming he's like this feels like Bo saying like, yeah, they're under the civic center in the city of Sindari, and what he's really gonna find there is an ambush so she can get the doc save it back like it doesn't feel like she's given him good faith advice.
Speaker 1: I completely agree with you. I also feel like, Mando, you're not using it. Can't you just like, can't you just like stage a fight? Yeah? Yeah, like that you die like, oh my god, you got me on the chin and I'm going down and now you own it? Surely it's yours? Yeah, why did you just like it? You don't need it, You don't use it. You're shooting everybody. You didn't use it on the pirates.
Speaker 2: That would have been a good thing to use one.
Speaker 1: Give it to Bokat. She needs it. She's an actual leader. You don't want to lead. Just give it to her.
Speaker 2: You don't need that thing with the baby. It's dangerous. I love Okay. Do you think the baby's gonna wield the dock saber? Is that why he still has it? I feel like, now I've just said it, I'm like maybe, I'm like, there has to be a narrative reason, and I'm like, I guess maybe the baby told it.
Speaker 1: I will say that, I do. I think that whenever. I don't think it'll be in this I don't think it'll be in the Mandalori right because the time jump that would need to happen is insane. But I do think that at some point, obviously what where we're headed is Grogu is going to be in, is going to be part of the Mandalorian culture, Right, That's gonna happen. He's gonna take the he's gonna take the oath. He's gonna put it on a little helmet.
Speaker 2: I would love to see that the helmet with his ears sticking out.
Speaker 1: And I think at that point, by hook or by crook, he's gonna get that dark soon. It just makes too much sense, Like it feels like this is where this is going. What do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so definitely. I'm I'm very interested to see how they build it in. There's like a lot of rebels law here, like rebels locations, the pure girls, Like, I'm I'm excited to see where this goes. I also like that they just came back and they were like, look, do you remember what the Mandalorians about. It's about a baby and a guy, and they're just having fun. Go into his face, see us some cool shit, seeing a familiar face, like shooting some people like they would. They did not come back at this with any other angle than just like, this is the fun Star Wars show and I love it. I also love to see Rick back as the director because he directed one of my favorite episodes from the first season, and the fact that he's on like three of these episodes this season is very exciting to me. I'm also stoked that Carl Weathers is directing another episode. I can't wait for that and for him after the Book of Bobafet episode that made everyone realize Bryce Dallas how it should be able to direct a Star Wars movie, I cannot wait to see her episode because her episode of Book of Boba Fett was like unbelievable.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, I think you're right about this ambush. Yeah, it feels like it makes too much sense to me so easily.
Speaker 2: She's like nah, She's like sure, go there. Also, he makes a really good point where he's like, weren't you the one who told me it wasn't poisoned. He's like, but now it's poisoned. He's like, hmmm, something doesn't really add up. But he's so desperate for this redemption and to be part of his culture again that he is ignoring what I feel like our red flags she even says to him it. Then she's like goodbye din jure In and I'm like, yeah, goodbye, because you're about to kill him. And the dark say ask you.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this is Do you think that the the the Mandalorian instead of kind of gathered around the armorer now on planet to be named later, are they the people that melted away from Catan's army.
Speaker 2: She does say something really interesting at the beginning of this where she's like the death Watch, all these different factions, like they destroyed Mandalor. But she was also a separatist, so I think it's unclear. And she sort of said, you know that her crew are now like mercenaries. So I don't know, but I do think that we're going to end up in a situation where there's going to be different sects of Mandalorians who are going to have to come together if they actually want Mandalor to kind of exist in any coherent way.
Speaker 1: I like the way they're setting up too for Dinn to be this unlikely and in many ways unwilling leader of the Mandalorian people, because it feels like he's going to be thrust into a situation where against his nature he's going to have to be not just like the warrior military leader, but a real political leader for this like fractuous yeah, and windling people that, in Poketan's words, as you mentioned, is just like divided by different schisms, yaho, different factions.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great point because something that is really interesting that I wonder if they're going to play on is we've talked about this a lot, how Hum and Grogu they almost are like they're becoming this kind of melding of Jedi culture and mandalinc culture. And I do wonder if part of the lesson of Dinn being a new leader for Mandlaw is going to be about them changing their ways or adapting to new people or new thought processes, or not changing the creed but being more open to different readings of it. You know, I feel like that kind of seems like it's an adapt or It's like adapt or die kind of situation.
Speaker 1: Yes, that feels like the underlying theme of this show, in addition to like hangout time with with Din and Grogu, is this idea of a culture that is so said in its ways that really is like, yeah, not to blame, it's you know, it's it would be victim blame you to say the Mandelarians brought some of the stuff on themselves, like the Empire destroyed them. But there is an aspect of their culture that is so war centric that it's like self defeating in a Clone Wars. Yeah, we saw a lot of this in Clone Wars, where you know, when political leaders attempted to bring a more progressive, more peace centric style of politics to the Mandalorians, it turned into basically like a low level civil Wars. And now ten, this very small surviving sect of the Mandalorian culture adapt in order to survive. I think that that is the theme of this series. I think, so too interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really interesting. I was also going to say, like I thought the score was really good for this episode, but it obviously wasn't Ludwig, and I thought that was really interesting. So Ludwig did do the first two seasons and Bobaffet, but I guess for this it's a composer called Joseph Shirley. But I really liked it. It felt different, but really Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Uh, Yeah, it's it's fun. Like I'm happy to have it back in my life.
Speaker 2: It's so cheery compared to the last of us, like I'm really the last of us, and I was like, I need to see the baby again. I was like this, the last of us is so good, but I am happy that our Pedro Prescal double bill is now like cheery baby, sad baby.
Speaker 1: I need to see reality. The milky web of hyperspace reflected in the beautiful dewey eyes of my fifty year old baby friend growth.
Speaker 2: We need a baby Yoga Yoda. Actually for the studio. I'm like, Lucasfilm, send us a baby. We need him, send us a baby that baby. Tony agree, Baby, you know what we're talking about up next nerd out In Today's that Out, Why you tell us what you love? Am why or a theory that you're excited to share. Whitney shares the latter, and it's a very interesting question that I feel like leads on extremely well from our conversation. So Jason, I will let you read this theory about season three of The Mandalorian.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, love the show. You're both amazing. Jason great child on Jeopardy Fistry and Rosie I'm on team Maternals with you. I don't tell you Team maternals is growing. Grow, it is growing. I've been diving back into the Mandalorian a preparation for season three. I'm not as deep on the lore as a lot of people, so I don't know if there is some sort of answer or theory on this. But is there any reason to believe that Mando might be better with the Dark Saber because of his relationship and attachment to Grogu. Is his relationship with a force user going to somehow enable his ability to use it? Well? As Grogu taps back into the Force and as didn't use the Saber more, and as their relationship strengthens, will Din's ability grow? I think that that is a I think that's a fair assumption. I think the history of the Dark Saber tells us that it comes from a place back, you know, centuries and centuries in millennia go, when there was a Mandalorian who was a Jedi. And I think that's where we're trending towards again. I think that we've seen Din's influence on Grogu. We've seen Grogu's emotional influence on Din, and Din's willingness to do things to move out of his comfort zone. Take off his helmet, et cetera, to to display his emotional bond with Grogu. But the but is there something else? Will Rogu find some sort of connection to the force in Din that is there to amplify It's an interesting question, and I would love to see that.
Speaker 2: I would love to see it. This is the kind of thing that makes me so excited about Star Wars. There may be a canon answer, there may be a distinct jess or no, But to me, this is the kind of excitement. I love this idea of the Force as something that flows through everyone and around all of us. You know, that's one of the most magical things about Star Wars. So I love this idea that the nature of Din and Gogu's connection would allow Din to almost access the Force, or at least be more connected to it than somebody else. It's that kind of magic of the end of the Last Jedi. This either of the democratization of the Force or you know, Bays and Chirru in the rogue one. This idea that like people can connect to the Force through different and unexpected ways. And it would make sense that if you were a great swords person and you did up with this incredibly powerful sword with Jedi connections, and you were chilling with it, incredibly powerful Jedi. There may be some things that happened there. I mean, it's one of the ultimate Star Wars fan arguments. Is you know, is hand solo force sensitive? Because the argument is if you're such a brilliant pilot that usually Anakin Skywalker is a brilliant pilot. Luke Skywalker was a brilliant pilot. Is hand solo? Is he tapping into the force when he does that? Is he a force user? And I love that gray area of the force, and I think it's so much fun. And I love this question, and I think we will at least see a hint of this as we move forward. With the way that I like that correlation between Grogu learning more about the Force and did learning more about the Sayer. Those two things seem like a great parallel to explore.
Speaker 1: I totally agree and thank you so much Whitney for your question. Folks, if you have theories or passions you want to share, hit us up at x ray at cruka dot com. Instructions in this show notes, that's it for us this episode. Rosie Plug Plugs Plugs, Plug plug bloklug plug blog, what do you have a plug?
Speaker 2: You can read all my core articles and stuff at many places ig Nedics, then of Geek Polygon. I have an all three page where you can go through and read thousands of my articles, old and new. You can download free comics also from my website Rosie Night and you can find me here twice a week and also on Instagram and letterbox at Rosie Marx.
Speaker 1: Catch the next episode of X ray Vision on March eighth. For more the Last of Us on HBO Max and remember we'll bring you two episodes week Wednesdays and Fridays from your podcast platform of choice twice, The Deep Dives twice, the Baby Yoda twice, The Last Most twice, and everything else.
Speaker 2: And if you want to see us as well as hear us, you can subscribe on YouTube, where we are now posting full episodes of the show. Plus follow us at XRV pod on Twitter where Saul is always doing some cool stuff.
Speaker 1: And check out the.
Speaker 2: Scored to meet and hang out with a ton of amazing fans and listeners. Plus me and Jason are there. And if you're into watch parties, those have been popping off recently there was a midnight watch party for The Mandalorian, and there's gonna be more for every episode. Same with the Last of Us and with the finale coming up, I'm sure those channels are gonna be going wild.
Speaker 1: Five star ratings, five star reviews.
Speaker 2: We love.
Speaker 1: If we need, we gotta have them, you gotta give them to us. Here's one from pap podcast Fan, one of my favorites. Thank you, pep podcast Fan. Just damn fun and funny.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: But if I'm only slightly familiar or interested in it, I'll listen to the end of every episode. Rosie and Jason are five star Lords. Ladies Quit comic pitch Idea Snowbird of Alpha Flight is a magic protective spy for War is done? What's next? We get a little nerd out to the end of the fire.
Speaker 2: If you want to, yes, also say put that pitch in your back pocket for when you have that, Mam meet because that's.
Speaker 1: A good one. Thank you for podcast fin x ray Vision is a Crooked Media product. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Saul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Gerhard are editing and sound design Who's By Vascillis Fatopoulos, Dilon Villanueva and Matt Degroup provide video production support. Alex Rellaford handle social media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for theme music. See you next time.
Speaker 2: Bye,