Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, Seaton got a poll question for me, and then we'll dive into what we saw last night with the team's kind of jockeying for playoff position. These games are meaning a lot to a lot of teams players. Yeah, you have the other end of the spectrum that the teams that are tanking. But last night what we saw with Denver, what we saw with Golden State was very impressive. What do you have for his first hour?
Speaker 3: Well, I was going to start off non sports. Actually I think we have a good poll question coming segment two.
Speaker 2: Okay, if we.
Speaker 3: Start out non sports, go with Val Kilmer his best movie? Okay, passed away yesterday. Yeah, Val Kilmer just passed away. His best movie? Would it be Tombstone? The Doors Heat? He's in another Top Gun. Yeah, he's sort of a minor character in that. He's in another movie called Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.
Speaker 2: That was really great. I think that's where he met his wife and Kiss Kiss Bang Back.
Speaker 3: I might throw real genius in there, just maybe that's the eight year old in me, but I used to love real genius.
Speaker 2: Well, he had a cameo in Top Gun. The new one, but in the original he was iceman. Yea had a big role. He was in Willow. It was a big movie when I was a kid. I remember. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 4: I was actually watching Tombstone last night. It's one of those movies when you're flipping you're like, oh, Tombstone, and it's one of the Tombstone is a very good Western vel. Komar takes it to the next level. He's the best thing in the movie.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever watched Tombstone. I know, yeah, don't think I have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, yeah, it's too bad too, because I don't know that you can now. But god, was that a good movie when it came out.
Speaker 2: Oh it doesn't hold up. I don't know if it does or not.
Speaker 3: I'm finding that almost no movies really hold up anymore, to be honest with you, I just started watching I started rewatching last night The Wire with my son. Yeah fifteen. I'm like, nah, dude, you're gonna love this whatever. And I had to give after the first episode. I was like, all right, give me two episodes. Oh no, give me two episodes. And then because he couldn't stop laughing at like some of like the way some of like the cops acted or something. You're like, oh my. He was like, oh my god, this is so corny. But I'm like, nah, just you're meeting a lot of characters. Give me two more episodes and then let me know.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Breaking Bad would still hold up. I'm guessing if you haven't seen Breaking Bad, I haven't watched the Sopranos. So the Sopranos still hold up. I'm guessing I don't know. No, Okay, yeah, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: If you go back and rewatch some of these things, like the first three episodes of the Sopranos, it's all about the psychologist psychiatrist. It's not kind of a mafia yet, it doesn't. It's like the first couple episodes of Seinfelder're not that good yet.
Speaker 2: Yes, Todd, Lauren brock thank you, Tom. Lorraine brockos not Lauren.
Speaker 5: He prefers Lorraine.
Speaker 6: I call it Lauren.
Speaker 2: Our friends to call her Lauren, and everyone on Earth blame it on Lorraine. Okay, So I think we might have a poll question Play of the Day coming up as well. Joker went for sixty one ten and ten, and if he went sixty one nine and nine. It would still be as impressive, but we get caught up. It was a triple double and he had sixty one points. That is true. He played over fifty two minutes scoring the sixty one points in a double overtime loss to the Timberwolves. So ten and ten. So that's the third sixty point triple double in NBA history. James Harden did it, and then Luka Doncic. You go back to Luca in twenty twenty two, he went sixty twenty one and ten.
Speaker 1: Still of a day, stand.
Speaker 6: To day, Stanta to day, stannaa day.
Speaker 2: This is the style of the day run too by Panini America. Steph Curry made twelve three pointers. He finished with fifty two points. So he has fifteen career games of fifty or more points, tied for six most all time and tied with Dame Lillard for your second among active players. You're watching him and he makes it look simple. He makes it look easy, but so does Joker. Joker is so methodical, you could say plodding. He's a really good outside shooter, but he would get inside it and it's just old man moves. That's a little shake over here, a little you know, fake over here, move over here, a little jump book here, and he's going against the stifled tower, Rudy Gobert, and he just does what he wants to do. And same with Steph. But Steph trying to do it on the perimeter, and at one point Zach Edie is out there trying to guard him. So you had seven to four against sixty three and Steph got just enough room and then he shoots a three. It's remarkable. You know, I've watched the NBA for probably fifty five years and you just watch somebody shoot like that, and nobody has ever shot like that, no one, And he just makes it look effortless and it's not that is not easy what he does, but he finds enough space. He's really good at doing that. And Joker does too. Because you look at Joker and you go, why can't somebody stop him? He is so good with his footwork, he's so smart with the ball, and he just moves at his own pace. He brings the game to his speed. Kawhi Leonard used to do that on a regular basis. Does that you slow the game down to your pace instead of you have to speed up to what you would think an NBA game's pace would be and it's remarkable. But to watch Steph, I don't know if he'll ever be reduced to a role player like his father was. You know, his dad was a great shooter, but he wasn't a guy who was going to beat off the dribble. He'd usually be in the corner, you know, shooting. But I don't know if because Steph isn't going to play any place else, I don't think this is He's going to retire as a Golden State Warrior. But can he be the third option? You know, let's say three years down the road, is he still able to be Steph Curry two years down the road? Can they bring in somebody who would be the number one option on that team because Jimmy Butler is not going to be there long haul, long term. They do have some younger players, but I haven't seen anybody take that next step up. And then Denver did this without Jabal Murray. It was Joker that was it. Here is Anthony Edwards who was dynamic as well. Last night, the Timberwolve scarred talking about Yo Kich's performance.
Speaker 6: I might have been the best name in my life.
Speaker 5: I bet I've been a part of koos bro.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, he might be the best basketball player I've ever seen, like Closa, besides to my like, besides myself, to myself.
Speaker 6: Bruh, he's incredible, bress. The MVP race is tough.
Speaker 8: Now, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah sixty, Yeah, that is funny. He's the best basketball player except for me. But Anthony Edwards was wonderful again last night. But these are games, you know, they're meaningful. With Golden State jockeying for position, Denver jockeying for position. This is when you watch a game and you truly get to watch a game and enjoy a game. You're seeing great players play games that really mean something. And Joker's playing almost fifty three minutes last night, and he's the focal point every time down the floor that wears you out. Same with Steph. It's like, all right, go out there and get him. Gonna load up, Steph, You're on your own tonight, all right? Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show the NFL Owners meetings. I got a confession to make because I know it's going to happen I'm gonna go to like a Christmas party and I'll be the sports expert and somebody will say, hey, game's going into overtime. What are the overtime rules in the NFL? And I'm going to go, I think, oh, I think both teams get the ball. But I think that, well, this is regular season? Is regular season overtime? The same as Posty, I might pull a Jim Beayheim. Oh hold on, my wife's calling me. Yeah, like I can't keep track of it. They just keep tweaking and tweaking and tweaking, and then you're going, I don't know, but looks like tweaking over time. How they spot the ball, the chain gang or they keeping the chain gang? What's their role in the game. They're going to be able to review if you get hit somebody out of bounds, they're going to be able to review roughing the quarterback. There's a lot that was being unpacked at the owner's meetings. Then you had the tush push and then they're going to table that. And all that means to me is, see, this isn't like the movie what is it, Twelve Angry Men, where they have to stay in and come up with a verdict, and I think I was back in the sixties or something, But why don't they just say we're going to stay in here until we come up with a vote. But if I'm the Eagles and Jeffrey Lorie the owner, and I go, wait a minute, we're all here. Why are we tabling this? Because tabling means we don't have enough support yet. But let's wait till May and then I'm going to work behind the scene. If I'm the commissioner or are reading the commissioner, it'd be hey, I don't have all the votes. Let's just table this now. They tabled other things to be fair to this rule, but that feels like we want to get rid of the tush push. Let's table this. And if I'm the Eagles and I'm Jeffrey Lorie, I just say, Commissioner, what are we waiting for. Everybody can vote right now. Let's take a vote. And I don't know if you can do that. I don't know if you want to embarrass the commissioner. But this is a rule that's directed at the Eagles. That's it. We're all here, let's all vote, and then let's see if we keep this. Because I think if they voted yesterday, they probably didn't have the necessary votes to put an end to the tush push because they needed twenty four vot yes, balling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a good point. The Eagles kind of have to know about this play as they plan their team going forward. It changes the structure of their offense. They should demand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm surprised because it felt like the momentum was there, but I just got the feeling that the commissioner didn't get what he wanted. Here is Roger Goodell yesterday.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of discussion about going back to the previous rule, back to pre two thousand and four. The reality of it is, I think that makes a lot of sense in many ways because I get expands it beyond just that single play. There are a lot of plays where you see someone pulling or pushing somebody that are not in the tush push formation that I think do have an increased risk of injury. And so I think the committee will look at that and come back in May with some proposals.
Speaker 2: And you know what that proposal will be.
Speaker 9: See.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, they used to call this that you couldn't push somebody from behind. I don't know, you know what genius goes, you know what, we should let them push from behind.
Speaker 6: And now the.
Speaker 2: Commissioner, I guess, can go back and say, you know what, on second thought, we're going to change. We're going to go back to the original rule now. Chase Daniel of the Athletic he has a podcast called Scoop City, former quarterback. He said that he spoke to a doctor who believes there is zero data that says the tush push creates added health and safety concerns for NFL players. Yes, I said that yesterday. My source said there's no data. They want data, but they don't have anything. And that's what you know. Maybe the Commissioner's trying to find new ways to get more information just to say to these other owners, but I don't know who's gonna Can you get twenty four to vote against this?
Speaker 1: And I think that's why they're table. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 9: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us.
Speaker 9: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 9: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 2: In the world.
Speaker 9: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem.
Speaker 5: To have the time to discuss.
Speaker 9: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four specific And if you miss any of the live show, just search kobeen on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 2: He's Mark Sanchez, by the way, in second place in our March Madness Bracket challenge, behind Johnny Bench he's ahead of Jim Parsons, Joey Votto, and Brady Quinn. Mark Joints is on the program. Do you know what happened at the NFL owners meetings?
Speaker 6: That's a very good question. I've heard soundbites from different outlets, but I've also been knee deep and some brand new children here. So I told Fritzy last night that wasn't well abreast of everything in the NFL these last weeks or so. But listen, you know they always get together to discuss these kind of rules and what are we going to change last year the kickoff now the kickoffs changing a little bit more, you know. Regardless, it always seems that and I never really he had an issue with this as an offensive player, but the hashes are narrower for a reason. You know, you want the offense in the middle of the field. You want high scoring games, you want exciting plays. When something becomes a competitive advantage or a detriment to players health where you know, I still haven't found any data for that either. I haven't done a deep dive on the toush push, but it doesn't seem like players are getting carted off the field on a regular basis because of the play. So I don't know what you do with that. I do know it is nearly impossible, and I don't hear many many people talking about this. It's nearly impossible to officiate. I mean, where's the line of scrimmage? You know you saw I think it was Frankie Louvu in the NFC Championship game just doing the old school Troy Paula Maalo just jump over the line of scrimmage like he looked like, who is the WWF guy, Jimmy Superfly Snookut, remember that guy jumping off the top rope and he was It's like, screw it, they're going to score anyway. I'm going. I'm just going, and I'm going to try and time the snap and jump over the pile and see what happens. And at one point it basically said like if you do it again, we're automatically giving them six points. So I mean that right there told me it's gonna be an issue at the NFL owners meetings. I don't know what you do about it.
Speaker 2: So okay, but if I put this to a player's vote, not an owner's vote, what do you think the how do you think the players would vote on keeping it or getting rid of it.
Speaker 6: I think you got four teams, like Nick Sirianni said, that was one of my favorite sound bites, is we have four teams that should be voting to keep this play in because that got three other coaches jobs Kellen Moore, stich In and Rich can Er and Jonathan Gannon. So he's like, those guys were all a part of it. Yeah, it got us all first downs, It kept that Gannon's defense off the field, that got Kellen Moore the job in Nola. So I got four votes right there, and I don't disagree with them. I think I think you know, he's spot on with that one.
Speaker 2: When you see cam Ward, do you see enough that separates him from the other quarterbacking candidates? And if so, what is that?
Speaker 6: I see an X factor? I see that potential. And there's always a guy, you know, every couple of years in the draft where you where you see this extended playmaking ability, you see something that just wows you, and it's there. He has it. Now it's about can you manage this thing? Can you you know, can can we teach this guy and mold this guy and trust our coaches that we have to get him to go fifteen play drives, multiple third down conversions, taking easy checkdowns, and then when it's time to go on the phone booth, throw on the Superman cape and come back out and go be cam Ward and make the crazy falling away, you know, sidearm whatever into traffic between two defenders, throw on fourth down to win the game. Great, then go ahead and do it, but it can't be every single play, and that's not how the NFL is. You know, guys get away with more and more, guys like Jayden Daniels have a little more wiggle room then you know, maybe certain other players and the game is shifting towards that. You know, I think Mahomes really exploded that and expedited that process, I guess, and was a catalyst for those kind of off schedule plays. But you also have to remember he got a ton of pub for that after watching one of the most consistent quarterbacks in Alex Smith go through a West Coast system the right way and play it by the book. Operate the offense, put the ball in play, protect the football, get completions, stack your completions, and you know, never go broke. Taking a profit however you want to say it. Whatever hits the kid's brain to make them operate the right way. If somebody can get them to do that, you got to have a lot of trust in your quarterback coach and your offensive coordinator and somebody who's gonna be there forever. He's not going to be able to do this with five different coordinators in five years. Yeah, that's not It's got to be a long term plan, hopefully somewhere that has a great veteran for him to watch. But I mean, the kid has some electrifying plays, and you know, those are the kind of players that just and I've said it on the show before that God, I wish I could roll out of bed and do something like that. Man, And it's all like I was a bad player. I was pretty damn good. But you're just like, dude, I could have never done that, And so it's you envy guys like that there, they're special talent.
Speaker 2: Tim Hasselback, who played the position now NFL analysts for The Mothership, did a player con for Shdor Sanders and he said he could see Kirk Cousins or Andy Dalton. Is that a compliment to Door Sanders?
Speaker 6: I would say it's it basically goes back to what I was talking about, who can operate the offense. I mean, those guys have had playoff appearances. Those guys you know have have I believe, won their division at least once. You know it's it's It truly is a compliment. I don't think I don't think it should be viewed another way. It's those guys can operate an offense. They can get you down the field, they get the ball to the playmakers, and they're the ultimate old school you know, point guard that that plays defense, distributes the ball, has the high shorts and slaps the floor when he plays defense. You know what I mean. That's those are those guys and that there's there's nothing wrong with that. That's just a different style. And as long as you're winning game, nobody cares. If you operate the offense. Well, you're scoring your thirty plus points a game, nobody cares how you do it. It's more fun, sure to watch the guy that runs all over the place and it looks more like a add in football game. That's great, but that's also really hard to continue to play like that. And from an offensive coordinator's perspective, when you get up to the line of scrimmage, they got a pretty good idea of where this ball is gonna go. There's nothing more frustrating for an offensive coordinator then get up to line the scrimmage and going, oh God, I don't know what this guy's gonna do with the ball. That's like way too much stress for a coach to go in and out of every game every drive, like, oh, boy, does he understand what we're doing here? Like that guy's got to know and he's got to know that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 6: So I think those are compliments and I don't mind that camp. I think I think Houseback does a good job breaking stuff down.
Speaker 2: He's Mark Sanchez, Fox Analyst. It's so, oh, your brats, we're gonna get.
Speaker 6: Oh, here we go, Oh your bracket. Finally, I'm I'm doing well.
Speaker 2: Sure you would show me baby pictures of the twins as opposed to your brackets.
Speaker 6: I got listen, Perry Mattfeld Now, Sanchez, my wife is an absolute superstar of a mom twin girls. We got the weights in uh seven, two and five twelve for twins. That's pretty big. And we knew she had this kind of potential when we were scouting her in the draft eight years ago, and she has far surpassed her draft round status. Okay, but we knew with the right coaching and the right system that she would develop from a special teams type player making impact plays on special teams to now being a perennial All Pro and this is going to be her first All Pro year as a mom. I am thoroughly impressed. And it's been pretty cool. Man. I'll send Fritzy some picture.
Speaker 2: How about a round of applause for Yeah, You're never more proud of your wife than in that moment, right.
Speaker 6: Amen to that. I was blown away a multiple times. I just wanted to be like, I am so sorry. This is my fault.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 6: It takes two to tango, but I am sorry.
Speaker 2: But you led with your brackets though. So that's that's not good.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 2: Your wife, I hope, is not going to be made aware of this that you led with your brackets, not your big Oh no.
Speaker 6: She's also on a peacock show by the way, right now, Long Bright River with Amanda Safreed. Okay, so she's in that show. It's been it's it's gotten some pretty decent reviews, and I obviously enjoy it, but I'm biased.
Speaker 2: So see, got a little plug in there for that's good. You did your job. You did your job, and congratulate your bracket and the twin. Yeah, and the twins in that order.
Speaker 6: I'm my son, by the way, who you've met.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He wanted to name them fish and chips, and so I was like, no, we went with Francesca and Samantha. Okay, Frankie and Sammy, fran Cake and Samburger, so okay. And in Spanish it's really good. It's awesome. I love that one.
Speaker 2: Are they going to be bilingual?
Speaker 6: I hope so their dad is yeah, I'm their dad.
Speaker 5: Oh you're the dad.
Speaker 2: My bad, dang, my bad thought of his liner? Oh wow, wow, where where did did I say?
Speaker 6: What I was thinking?
Speaker 2: Fritzy too far, too far, too far far. I apologize that.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 2: Wow, Now I'm rooting for you in the bracket challenge. Now now if I feel bad, now I.
Speaker 6: Got it simple good. You should know bad should go bad.
Speaker 2: Uh, congrats on the babies though.
Speaker 6: Appreciate you, Ma, and I got some new gear. So remember Nick Foles and pad O'Donnell pat o'donald the punter yea. I was with them with the Bears, and then Foles and I were together with the Eagles. But he gave me. He sent me a bunch of dad season gear and he's got like a hat line and clothing line, and so it was pretty cool. She got a lot of baby gifts, which she deserves as the mom going through everything. But I got a couple of things that's nice. I was like, hey, that's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Mark. We'll talk to you soon.
Speaker 6: Dolls would be good, We'll talk to that's Mark Sanchez.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 2: I go to Mike Florio in a time of need. There are times when we have a question, Toddle send it to Mike Florio. He usually responds something that could be of a legal issue, Mike being a lawyer, and now I come to Mike Florio in a time of need. I don't know exactly what happened at the owner's meetings. I'm still trying to understand. Over time, I'm trying to understand the on side kick, why the tush push was tabled. So, Mike, where do you want to start to enlighten me and hopefully our audience when you.
Speaker 5: Come to me in a time of need? Dan, is there any type of a bat signal involved that I'm not aware of?
Speaker 8: Or is it just Fritzy? Is it just texting me? That's the bat's signal? It's the fritz signal?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Now could the Eagles have demanded a vote yesterday with the tush push?
Speaker 5: Well, no, that's not how it works.
Speaker 8: When the wind is blowing against a proposal passing, it tends to get tabled because if you put it up for a vote, you're going to get numbers that fall short of the requisite twenty four to change the rules. And ESPN dot COM's Camin Kayler reported that sixteen teams in favor of the Packers proposal, which means sixteen aren't. But the proposal itself from the Packers was very flawed, and I don't know whether they introduced a bad proposal just to get the conversation started. But the idea of banning the immediate pushing of the quarterback after he gets the snap, that opens a can of worms for officiating and consistency and replay review and tinfoil hat conspiracies. They threw the flag on that one when it wasn't really immediate and the fixes in. So I'm glad they're stepping back from that and they're really getting to the heart of this. The heart of this is do we want to get rid of the maneuver altogether of a player who has the ball being pushed from behind. The rule used to be you couldn't do it. They changed the rule because they were never enforcing it, and that was more down the field, guys running for the first down. Here comes jimbo Kervert chugging along and shoving it for the first down. It was never incorporated into the actual play. The Eagles realized sixteen years after they allowed this. The Eagles realize, we can weaponize this.
Speaker 5: That's the issue. Are we going to reset the clock to when you couldn't pull or push the player with the ball?
Speaker 8: And if they want to get rid of this, Dan, that's the easiest and best way to do it. Reset the clock to two thousand and four and say no more pushing, and then Eagles will just run a quarterbacks and you can They'll still kick everybody's ass and they'll have to come up is an other way to explain why the Eagles are superior to everyone when it comes to these short yardage plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. That's why I said you can get rid of the tush push. The Eagles are still going to be dominating with that offensive line and with that quarterback in this position. But it feels like they table this because the NFL is not getting the results they want, which isn't fair to the Eagles. If you said, let's vote right now, why can't they ask for a vote right now? So what if it doesn't pass? That's what that's the opinion right now.
Speaker 5: It's a great point, and let's play it out.
Speaker 8: If the Eagles had said, we dem and a vote today on the Packers' proposal, Okay, it goes down sixteen sixteen, not enough to pass, they could still reformulate a new proposal for May.
Speaker 5: Which is what they're doing. I think a lot of this is just pr based.
Speaker 2: And they're gonna get rid of this, aren't they.
Speaker 5: Well, this is what bothers me.
Speaker 8: I feel like, and it reminds me a lot of what happened when the Patriots were successful. The Patriots always cheat, that's what all the other teams would say. Because when the owners are asking the coaches and gms that they've hired and paid a lot of money to, why can't you beat the Patriots, the easy thing to say is they cheat. So now we've found something the Eagles do that helps explain their dominance, and we're saying it's.
Speaker 5: Not football, it doesn't look like football, it's not safe.
Speaker 8: Well, where's the injury to at or we don't have any, but we might have some at some point, so let's get rid of it now because it might not be safe.
Speaker 5: At some point in the future.
Speaker 8: And what I don't like about it is I feel like there's a lot of moving of the goalposts, and I almost feel like our political discourse has crept into football, where you have people making these transparently obvious, self interested arguments that are bull crap. I almost said the other word, and I remembered your FCC regulated, so I corrected myself.
Speaker 5: But they're making these.
Speaker 8: Arguments all because the Egles have cracked the code, and everybody else is standing there looking at the safe and they don't even know how to begin to spin the dial.
Speaker 5: And that's it feels like to me. That's what's going on here. Let's just call it what it is.
Speaker 8: The Eagles are kicking everybody's butt, and so let's just take away the best club that they have in the bag.
Speaker 2: Mike Florio Pro Football Talk Live, co host with Chris Sims, the show that precedes Hours on Peacock. All right, let's recap replay, on sidekick, any other rule changes. I'll let you start with whatever's top on your list.
Speaker 8: Well, the on side kick continues to be a dead play, and they've tabled until May the question of whether they'll allow the team that's trailing to try an on sidekick at any point before the fourth quarter. And it was relevant in the Super Bowl because as the Chiefs were driving down thirty four to nothing, I said to Michael David Smith and Sharen Williams in the press box at the Superdome, Hey, they might want to wait until the fourth quarter to score because if they score in the third quarter, they can't do an on side kick. And it's kind of a dumb, arbitrary limitation on the opportunity to retain possession.
Speaker 5: But all that said, the on side kick currently is worthless. It's meaningless.
Speaker 8: I like the idea of a fourth and long play as a way to give the team that's trailing the opportunity to keep possession.
Speaker 5: But for now they've done nothing with it.
Speaker 8: All they've done is they've changed the touchback point from the thirty to the thirty five, which will spark more returns. And it's funny, Dan, I've had people point out to me, we're so concerned about the safety of the tush push, which has been around for three years, and there's.
Speaker 5: No evidence it's not safe.
Speaker 8: Meanwhile, we're gonna have a dramatic increase in these kickoff returns with this new formation, where even though you don't have the catastrophic injury potential with two guys going full speed coming at each other thirty yards apart, you still get guys ear hold in short yardage and kickers blown up. And that's not even a conversation. It's just a weird dichotomy right now.
Speaker 2: Well, and then they're going to be pushing for an eighteen game season, so you can't sit here and it's about players safe pushing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's just a matter of when it's happening. It's just a matter of when.
Speaker 2: Okay, But this is the last real chip for the Players Association when you think about what can we get now? Can we ask for three more roster spots? Could we get an offensive Can we get a third string quarterback? Can we get somebody on offense, somebody on defense? Or whatever you know you're going to ask for. But this feels like last call for the Players Association to be able to go. We'll give you that eighteenth game. What do you think the players are going to win well? And here's what it ultimately boils down to.
Speaker 8: Will the NFL wait until the current CBA expires in March of twenty thirty one, Lock the players out until they cry uncle on an eighteenth game, and then get whatever deal the NFL has put on the table, because we know what will happen. The players are never going to take.
Speaker 5: The nuclear option. The owners will so to get to eighteen before twenty thirty one. What will the union want and what can the union get?
Speaker 8: And a year ago, Lloyd Howe, the fairly new NFLPA executive director, was interviewed by I believe the Washington Post possibly The Athletic and when he was asked about eighteen games, he said.
Speaker 5: Who doesn't want more football?
Speaker 8: And it was a horrible negotiating posture. He has since backtracked. I don't know if you could put that toothpaste back into two. But in February Dan he adopted a more no way in hell posture, which is what you need to start from in order to get the best possible deal for the player.
Speaker 5: If it's gonna happen. And I think the year to watch is twenty twenty nine, that's when.
Speaker 8: And really it's after twenty nine when the CBA, not the CBA expires, but the TV deals.
Speaker 5: Are up for grabs. But you know they could do it. They could do it whenever they want.
Speaker 8: The union in the league could come to an agreement on eighteen games today if they wanted to.
Speaker 5: The question is what can the players get?
Speaker 8: And you're right, more roster spots, maybe a little larger piece of the pie.
Speaker 5: Just basically anything else you want.
Speaker 8: If the league wants to get to eighteen, now ask for everything. How I've even suggested in the past, somewhat jokingly, go ahead and offer twenty games because we know we're gonna get to twenty games one of these days. Twenty games and no preseason games, and ask for everything. Now, let's go ahead lets you want to get nuts, Let's get nuts. Let's do twenty. And here's the list of everything.
Speaker 5: We'd want to go to.
Speaker 2: Twenty overtime regular season overtime postseason. Are they aligned?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: No, no, not the way that I think it could have been.
Speaker 8: Look, I don't like the idea of a fifteen minute overtime in the regular season, because what if you're playing a Thursday after you play a Sunday, and you go fifteen minutes of overtime on Sunday, and then you got to turn around on Thursday and potentially go fifteen minutes of overtime then too. But by doing only ten minutes and guaranteeing a possession for each team, we're going to get into a situation where the team that receives the kick potentially is going to chew up what yeah, nine minutes on a touchdown drive. And Chris Simms made a great point today. You get around the thirty five of the other team and that defense might say, well, maybe we're gonna let him score a touchdown here because we want to have a fair crack to answer the touchdown instead of having them take the rest of the time off the clock and we're in a two minute offense to try to match this touchdown. I think that they made a mistake by not going back to fifteen minutes, because you want to have both teams to have a fair shot at a possession in that overtime period. And I think if that's the case, you'll see most teams, if they win the toss, choose to kick, and then if the team that receives gets a touchdown, you'll see an opportunity to try to score and go for two and end it there with ten minutes. I don't think it's as obvious that the right choice is to kick if you win the toss.
Speaker 2: More reviewable plays with replay.
Speaker 5: I like it, but I don't like what they've done. I don't like this.
Speaker 8: Discrepancy between will use replay assist to determine whether or not to pick up a flag that was thrown that shouldn't have been flown, for example, horse collar tackle. They throw the flag, they look at it, clear and obvious evidence there was no horse collar tackle. You pick up the flag, but face mask Sam Darnold getting the lend of Blair treatment from the Exorcist on that Thursday night against the Rams, the referee didn't see it, the umpire didn't see it, and we got the explanation, well, you know they're down there, they can't see everything. Okay, fine, but replay sees it. We all see it all, but we're not going to put a flag on the field. That to me doesn't solve the problem. There's still this donut hole in the gap between what the official see on the field and what we see at home, and the excuse like we don't want to officiate the game from the booth. They're already doing that, we don't want to put where it's a non starter to put a flag down. You've had for years the ability to use replay to put a flag down for twelve men on the field.
Speaker 5: So I don't like it. I think it's a half measure.
Speaker 8: I think it's going to cause more problems, and hopefully next year they'll realize we need to go ahead and use it for you know, if there is or isn't or was or wasn't for just a narrow handful of plays where we can all see that the foul did or didn't happen.
Speaker 2: I think one of the more exciting plays, even though it's not a play, but it's a moment. Are we going to lose the chain gang coming out to measure for a first down? I love that, but is modern technology going to keep those guys on the sidelines?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, Dan, that's the reason why they kept doing it for over one hundred years. Think back to when football was first invented. How do we determine whether or not the team with the ball got ten yards? I know, let's get two sticks and ten yards of chain link and we'll use that to determine it.
Speaker 5: And it does create a moment of drama.
Speaker 8: When the big orange stick gets pulled and maybe Gene's terrator has to pull a card out of his pocket and bend over and did it really get there? And sometimes you'll see and you see a lot of high school games where that orange stick, you know which way the wind is blowing a little bit here, and it's a first down.
Speaker 5: But this is where the stakes of the game nowadays, especially with legalized gambling.
Speaker 8: If they cry out for a full embrasive technology, let's get everything right that we can get right, and let's set aside the things that have been in place for one hundred years. There are better ways to do it and You're right, that moment is going to be gone now, well except when the Hawkeye system ends up being down and they have to use the chains. But I think there's such an imperative now for the league to try to get everything right.
Speaker 5: With so much money bet legally on our.
Speaker 8: Phones coast to coast on the outcomes of these games, they have to get these calls right.
Speaker 2: I don't spend a lot of time on the Cowboys, but when I do, it's usually about Jerry Jones and trying to understand a man who you know, took a one hundred and fifty million dollar investment and made it worth ten billion dollars, but trying to understand how he negotiates that he likes to see a little bit more. Well, every time he's wanted to see a little bit more, he spends a whole lot more. He did it with dak Ceedee Lamb, and now he's saying apparently he's got to see a little bit more with Micah Parsons before he ponies up the biggest contract to anybody other than quarterbacks. So what is there a method to the madness here that Jerry Jones is doing something that we're not seeing The genius behind it.
Speaker 8: I think Jerry Jones is the prime example of how certain skills that allowed you to make the money that enabled you to purchase an NFL team are not transferable to how to be as successful as you can be when you own the NFL team. This is a guy who has done great business deals, and he has capitalized on his leverage, and he knows how to twist arms the right way and schmooth someone at the right moment to get them to agree to a deal that maybe isn't in their best interest, but it's definitely in his best interest in his oil leases and all of his other billions.
Speaker 5: That have come from that world. Doesn't work here. They drag their feet with all of these key players.
Speaker 8: They have paid the wrong guys at times, they have failed to pay the right guys. They wait too long. They have gotten themselves painted into a corner with Dak Prescott twice, the Michael Parson contract.
Speaker 5: If you really want to do it, you could do it in an hour.
Speaker 8: Max Crosby and the Raiders did a new deal literally in two or three hours. And you don't need to have a ticking clock like Jerry wants to wait for a clock that is ticking toward midnight to do his deals. The problem is you get a player who stays away from the offseason program, stays away from training camp, isn't there until right before the start of the season, and then all of a sudden, he's not the same guy. It's a bad way of doing business. They've burned themselves multiple times in the past. They're stubborn about it, and they're dragging their feet on Michael Parsons and now Dan he's trying to negotiate directly with Parsons and cut out his agent, which is a CBA violation, and he's open about it. It's ludicrous and it's a bad way of doing business. If you're a Cowboys fan, any Cowboys fans listening, you should demand better from the guy who is the steward of your favorite team, because this is one of the reasons why it's been thirty years since they've played in the NFC Championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's too late for that. It's when his son takes over that you asked for something, then we'll.
Speaker 5: Think it's gonna get any better.
Speaker 8: He's learned from Jerry, and he's not taking the wheel from Jerry and doing things differently. I mean, look, let's face it, and I want to be respectful of this situation, but there is a point where Jerry is no longer going to have his fastball. That's when Steven's got to step up. And we've maybe seen some evidence the past few years to say, hey Steven, it's time for you to take over and get things done a different way.
Speaker 2: Thank you Mike, thank you Dan, thank you franch answering the call.
Speaker 5: I need time.
Speaker 2: I feel smarter,