Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy centralow from the most trusted journalists At Comedy Central, it's America's only sources for news.
Speaker 2: This it's a.
Speaker 1: Daily too, with your hosts Daisy Leonek and Michael Costi. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: I'm Michael Costo, I'm Gonny Lynek. We got a lot of news to get into. Russian medals in its own election, spring break might be broken, and when life gives Elon musk lemons, he fires them. But first let's get into our ongoing coverage of Indecision twenty four. Donald Trump has had a good week. He sealed the GOP nomination, one of his fifty four trials was postponed, and he just figured out you can google boobs. The man should be on top of the world. But some of his close friends in the right wing media are concerned.
Speaker 1: And I know you have supporters, friend's family.
Speaker 2: They say it's lonely at the top, And I'm actually curious, is it ever.
Speaker 1: Lonely for you?
Speaker 2: What a ridiculous question for a journalist to ask. Of course, he's not lonely. He saw his wife just six months ago. Walter Cronkite over here, Trump answered this question the way he answers every question by saying whatever was on the top of his mind at that moment.
Speaker 3: I study history, and I was always told that Andrew Jackson as a president was treated the absolute worst. He who is just really lambasted. I heard Abraham Lincoln was second, but he was in I think called the Civil War. I don't care Andrew Jackson or anybody else, nobody when you think of the fake things, nobody's been treated like Trump in terms of badly. Y.
Speaker 2: Yes, in terms of badly, Trump has been treated the badliest. Maybe Lincoln was treated a little bit worse, with being shot in the head and all, but I doubt he was on his deathbed saying at least I didn't have a pee tape rumor.
Speaker 1: That's right, good point.
Speaker 4: And by the way, how mistreated could Andrew Jackson have been? The man's on the twenty dollars bill. I use that bill every day. It's the one I get to the homeless. I asked for nineteen dollars back, but that's not the point I mean. I mean, plus, back then, even if the press wrote a horrible story about you, half the country was illiterate. You know, honey, do you see that article about Andrew Jackson.
Speaker 1: No, I can't read. I can't read either. Well, then why do we buy this newspaper? I mean, let's move on.
Speaker 4: Let's move on, because not all the influential, powerful men in the world have been getting such easy questions this week.
Speaker 5: This morning, a high profile deal between two unlikely partners imploding after a confrontational interview between former CNN anchor Don Lemon and Elon Musk turned tense during a taping of the new The Don Lemon Show that was supposed to date you next week on musk platform X.
Speaker 1: Pat speech on the platform is up.
Speaker 6: Do you believe that X and you have some responsibility to moderate hate speech on the platform.
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 7: I don't have to answer this great replacement theory as it relates to Jewish people.
Speaker 1: Do you think that I don't have to answer questions from the quarters?
Speaker 8: Don?
Speaker 7: The only reason I've been this interview is because you're on the X platform and you asked for it.
Speaker 1: Otherwise there would not do interview with this interview.
Speaker 5: Hours later, Lemon says he received a short text from must that read contract is canceled now.
Speaker 4: To be fair to Elon, though you never really expect to hire someone and immediately be asked about the Jewish great replacement theory.
Speaker 1: Usually want to wait for the Christmas Party to do that.
Speaker 4: But I'm sorry, between Trump and Elon, when did all these macho men become such pussies? You know, aren't you the ones who complained about the snowflakes and liberal victimhood. When Elon bought Twitter, he was like, this is free speech, town square, baby, And then then anytime somebody criticizes him, he's like.
Speaker 1: The town Square is closed for repairs.
Speaker 5: This is terrible.
Speaker 4: Teddy Roosevelt's critics shot him during a speech and he didn't even go to the hospital, which shows one how tough he is and two how terrible healthcare was back then. But look, these alpha males today get one tough question and they start whining, like my kid when I tell him he can't watch Cars two for.
Speaker 1: The eighth time today. Well, daddy, it's not fair. Well you know what else is in fair?
Speaker 4: Son, It's not fair that I, a grown man, know all the words to Cars two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very sad, costume, it's very sad. Let's move on to the big news in the travel industry. The guy at Boeing, whose job it is to change the days without an incident's sign, got to stay home from work yet again.
Speaker 6: This morning in American airlines, Boeing Triple seven, traveling from Dallas to Los Angeles, forced to make an emergency landing after reports of mechanical problems. This video capturing the moment the plane carrying two hundred and forty nine people touched down at Lax Airport with a possible flat tire. This comes on the heels of several other incidents on Boeing planes in recent days. On Monday, hydraulic fluid began leaking from the bottom of this Boeing Triple seven. Boeing failed dozens of FAA audits with nearly one hundred instances of non compliance after that door plug flew off a seven thirty seven Max nine in January.
Speaker 2: Boeing, what is going on with you? There should be no leaking fluids on planes unless you were the guy on the diarrhea plane. He's he's grandfathered in. He can leak anywhere he wants. At this point, Boeing's competitors barely even need PR departments. They look so good for doing just the bare minimum air bus. We don't have any screws left over in the bag. All right, I have to say at this point, I'm just done with Boeing airplanes. Back to cruise ships for me, where nothing bad ever happened.
Speaker 1: Well, you know who's not worried about Boeing? Does he.
Speaker 2: Me?
Speaker 1: All Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a door fell off and there was a leak, but guess what, the plane still landed. Boeing should be advertising that, Boeing, we forgot some screws, but you still made it to Tampa.
Speaker 1: They agree.
Speaker 4: You know what's way less safe than flying, Taking a car to the airport by driver this morning passed a semi truck by cutting through a playground.
Speaker 1: So no, I'm not worried about Boeing.
Speaker 4: The truth is, even with the doors falling off, air travel is still the safest way to get around.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm gonna keep flying.
Speaker 4: I even flew here today from Brooklyn, so I don't mind if a door flies off now and then. In fact, I wouldn't mind if a few more doors flew off, If more people were scared of flying, I could get through security a hell of a lot faster. I've got all the things pre check global entry clear clear plus, clear plus with ads and I'm still waiting fifteen minutes for a guy to full up his stroller for the first time in his life. And if you disagree, too bad, because planes are the only game in town. What I'm not gonna fly to Vegas for my college buddies fantasy football draft?
Speaker 1: Grow up.
Speaker 2: Let's move on to some international news, because the US isn't the only country having an election this year.
Speaker 9: Russians will head to the polls for three days beginning Friday, to vote in a presidential election that has Vladimir Putin seeking a fifth term.
Speaker 1: President. Putin is urging voters.
Speaker 2: To cast ballots as a show of patriotism.
Speaker 1: Every vote you cast is valued and meaningful. Therefore, I urge you to exercise your right to vote.
Speaker 2: You heard Vladimir Putin. Every vote in this Russian election is valued and meaningful, which is why the winner of this race is completely up in the air.
Speaker 4: Right, anything can happen, daisy, So of course we're going to go all out with a complete team coverage and another installment of Democratski twenty twenty four. Let's start over at the election center with Ronnie Chang.
Speaker 1: Ronnie, what are the results, Ronnie, what are the results showing so far? Oh, it's a tight race, Michael.
Speaker 10: Let's look at the map here, the red areas are Warepoon is winning so far. He's doing well with urban voters, farmers, dead people, dead people, college degrees, and women inside of larger women. Is our lodger women?
Speaker 1: All right, sounds like he's doing great. Can we just call the race for him? Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Speaker 10: Okay, take a look at this area right here, just outside of Moscow. Okay, you can see he's in real danger, falling below ninety nine in this region. So we're gonna have to watch that as the night progresses. I mean, it's democracy. Anything can happen.
Speaker 1: Ronnie, Ronnie, I think that one percent just went down to zero percent.
Speaker 10: Oh oh wow. Then want to come back for Putin? I told you anything can happen.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for make great great, Amalarica great, Analosle. All right, for a look at the situation on the ground. Let's go live to Moscow with some fresh exit polls and trot Troy. You wanna, Troy? What are you learning?
Speaker 1: Does it?
Speaker 7: We're learning a lot about why Russians are so drawn to Vladimir Putin. Listen to these exit poll results. First, ninety four percent of voters said they did not want to accidentally fall out of a window, and ninety six percent said they did not want to be poisoned.
Speaker 1: So those are the top two issues.
Speaker 7: Third being Putin's age.
Speaker 1: Okay, so voters are worried about Putin being too old.
Speaker 7: No, they're saying Putin is so robust for a seventy one year old that he might do too good a job.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: Also the falling out of a window thing. They can't emphasize that enough.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, I can see how that would be a concern. How much longer are the polls open.
Speaker 1: Until nine pm?
Speaker 7: And Russian officials are telling voters if you're in line, stay in line or there will be consequences.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, thank you, Troy, I mean geez, of course, you know, Putin was not running un a posed. So let's go to the opposition's election night party with Grace Kohle and Schmidt.
Speaker 2: Gray Gray, how's the mood in there? It's grim, there's no music, no food.
Speaker 11: We're on an ice floe in the East Siberian Sea and it's a cash bar.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're on an ice float. That doesn't sound like you're at a party. Well it's less of a party and more of a floating prison.
Speaker 4: But whether we live or die out here, it's still less depressing than the Hillary twenty sixteen parties.
Speaker 2: Who Okay, good luck, And finally let's go to the Putin victory party at the Krenlin with Jordan Klepper.
Speaker 1: George, you've been to a lot of political rallies. How does this compare? It's great, Michael, No notes, what a win for democracy?
Speaker 4: Really, you're not gonna do that thing where you talk to the kooks who are blindly faithful to their party leader.
Speaker 10: No, Michael, everybody is normal here and I have no reason to question or subversively mock anyone.
Speaker 1: Okay, Putin twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Russia is a free and open democracy. Speak your mind. Let's hear some cutting barbs.
Speaker 1: Are you trying to get me killed? Oh? Hey, hey, freeve yet, mister president? Six more years? Six one hundred more years?
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, good.
Speaker 1: Luck in November. Wait, he has another election this November. Oh, a big one, just not in Russia.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you everyone, great of the democracy and.
Speaker 1: Action so true, and we come back, spring Break, don't go away.
Speaker 12: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: Talk about spring break, the most exciting week of the year for college students and gonorrhea gnera.
Speaker 1: Not that bad, of course.
Speaker 4: One of the hottest spring break destinations is Florida, where the beaches are as bountiful as the meth dealers, but in recent years the fun has been getting dangerously out of hand.
Speaker 1: One Florida city has had enough.
Speaker 2: Miami Beach is breaking up with spring Break, shutting.
Speaker 9: Down spring Break in Miami this year, city officials told those spring breakers to go somewhere else, restrictions including the closing of the beach at six pm and liquor stores at eight to drive.
Speaker 1: The message home. A public service announcement that's gone viral Miami Beach telling rowdy spring breakers it's not us, it's you. Maybe we can talk when you're done with your spring break phase.
Speaker 2: Miami is shutting down spring break. Where else will college students be able to get alcohol poisoning and have terrible sex with each other? And who is Miami to get upset with spring break? One in three people there is a DJ are they like keep it down? I'm trying to be super loud over here.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Because of the crackdown, many students have decided to go to Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami. But that's not a good idea either, because one it's Fort Lauderdale, and two the cops there are hassling spring breakers in a way that might even be worse brain break.
Speaker 8: Descending on foot Loaderdelle, Florida with huge crowds flocking there after Miami put in strict curfews and restrictions, but Fort Lauderdale police are turning the festivities into a possible job offer bought here.
Speaker 2: I'm just just running the message that we're recruiting right now actively for all police officers.
Speaker 5: Sing alongs, trivia games, the Fort Lauderdale police having fun with spring breakers.
Speaker 1: Are you guys ready? Yeah, all right, you got your thinking caps on?
Speaker 5: You're ready to go.
Speaker 4: Obviously they don't have their thinking caps on, then they'd get a thinking cap tan line, But I'm sorry, do you know how bad your spring break has to be to want to become a cop?
Speaker 1: Afterwards?
Speaker 4: Usually when college students get blackout drunk, they wake up with a penis sharpeat on their face.
Speaker 1: These kids are waking up like, why do I have a police badge.
Speaker 2: How do you even try to convince spring breakers to become cops? Are you just like walking down the each You guys are in good shape. Would you be willing to get out of shape?
Speaker 4: Hey, I see you're blowing at I see you're blowing all your parents' money. How'd you like to blow an entire city's money so.
Speaker 2: You're not solving a murder at the moment? Would you like to get paid to not solve a murder?
Speaker 4: I notice you've been sitting doing nothing for six straight hours. You want to keep doing that but with a gun?
Speaker 2: Crush a lot of beer today? I want to keep doing that, but with a gun.
Speaker 1: Of course, if you don't want a good job, does you?
Speaker 4: Of course, if you don't want to go to Florida, there are literally hundreds of other fun does is of other?
Speaker 1: There's one other fun place for you to go on spring break, and that's New Orleans.
Speaker 4: And to prove the Big Easy still knows how to party, here's Fox News with a major scoop.
Speaker 1: I had the opportunity to talk to one lady yesterday.
Speaker 2: Young lady.
Speaker 4: She's a senior at Texas Tech, and she told me when I asked her.
Speaker 1: What does she do the prep for spring break. She says she applies her bronzer and did she does cocaine, And that really the heart of this. That's some story. She applies the bronzer before she does the line of coke. She wants to look good before she gets hot.
Speaker 13: I never heard it before, right, that's crazy, And she admitted that.
Speaker 1: Oh stop.
Speaker 4: I mean, this isn't the first time Fox has talked to someone who's abusing bronzer and cocaine.
Speaker 1: They've been covering the trumps for nine years. Take it. At least she's doing it in the right order.
Speaker 4: I mean this one time I snorted bronzer and applied cocaine and it totally ruined my grandmother's funeral.
Speaker 1: But the point is spring break can be risky.
Speaker 4: People are abusing drugs, they're getting in the trouble, they're considering careers in law enforcement.
Speaker 1: It's frightening stuff.
Speaker 4: And that's why, for the sake of yourself and for your future kids, drop out of college. It's the only way you can avoid spring break altogether.
Speaker 2: It's grated Michael. Stick around because when we come back, Renee Elise Goldsberry is here.
Speaker 12: Welcome back to the day show.
Speaker 2: Our guest Tonight is a Tony Award winning actor and singer who stars in the comedy series Girls five Eva, now on Netflix. Please welcome Renee Alise Goldsberry.
Speaker 4: All right, you are a Tony Award winning Broadway star of musical The Lion King, Rent, The Color Purple.
Speaker 2: No Big Deal, A big deal, Hamilton.
Speaker 1: Miss Hamilton's Oh My God, Show.
Speaker 2: My Mom, but you missed it, We missed it. And Girls by Beva season three dropping now today today, It drops today on This show is honestly one of my favorite comedy shows of all time. It is so so funny. There are so many jokes per minute. You almost have to watch each episode multiple times to try to catch everything. And your character is so funny. She's like the total standout. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's easy to say when I'm here by myself, but thank you so much everyone. It is very talented, but you have some of the funniest lines ban the entire show.
Speaker 13: The show is very dense. We call it JPM dense jokes per minut it. We showed that that clip that you just saw at the premiere, and everyone missed the third joke because they were laughing at the first one. That's just how funny is You have to watch it several times, which is good because it's streaming. Yes, it's really a dream come true of a job. We laugh hysterically. I just spent the entire night putting together my BTS reel to post on Instagram because now I can, and I just remembered.
Speaker 2: It's how much joy we have. It's so fun. The season three is coming out now, but you've done you did season one, season two before that. Tell people if they didn't catch it when it first came out, what it's about. What is the show about? When you like to know?
Speaker 13: Girls five EVA is about a one hit wonder group pop group from the nineties who discovers in present day that their one hit has been sampled by a rap star, and so they decide that they are back. In the first season, in the first season, and they decide they're going to stay together. In the second season, they make an album called Raternity, and in the third season they go on tour. That's that's what's Hot and New. All three seasons are on Netflix, but the third season is Hot and New. You find us in Fort Worth Texas. We've written a song. We've written a song. It's called tap into Your part Worth. We do it because we discovered it.
Speaker 2: Tony right, that's the Tony right there.
Speaker 13: No, we basically discovered there's a hole in the market. It's like the biggest city that doesn't have a song about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I wonder if you make a song called tap into Your fort Worth and you find us.
Speaker 2: In the beginning of season three, killing in fort Worth, she.
Speaker 1: Was also in Hamilton.
Speaker 4: I wanted to ask you because the show is frustratingly funny and seems at ease. However, how are you reading the jokes in the script and then saying here's what I'm an bring to it.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it the actors adding things? Or is that all in the script? I mean, there's so many jokes in this thing and makes me angry. Now I know, so is that you? Is it the script? Is it all? Is it everybody working together? Is it improvising?
Speaker 8: What is?
Speaker 2: It starts with?
Speaker 13: Well, you know, actually, it's funny that you mentioned Hamilton because it reminds.
Speaker 1: Me of that.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I say, I say it is as often as I possibly can.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's sometimes you find yourself in a perfect storm.
Speaker 13: The writers are brilliant there, it's it's Meredith Scardino and Tina Feates, It's anybody like thirty Rock, anyone ever. It's that team of writers and producers. There's the greatest just design team, the great we have all these wonderful songs.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you about the cast. Sarah burrellis, Paula pel Busy, Phillips.
Speaker 13: We have there's a lot of flashbacks between the nineties and today so that we can just kind of figure out what went wrong.
Speaker 2: There was a lot that kind of went wrong in then that we weren't aware of.
Speaker 13: Sometimes it's fun to just kind of tap into the misogyny of these pop groups in the nineties.
Speaker 2: You will blame no it's true, and you do touch on all of that women. When you look back on how female pop stars were treated in the nineties and the early odds, it's like it's atrocious. I actually was that, and I was definitely in my twenties and the nineties trying to be a pop star. I didn't even have one hit, so I'm actually kind of proud of this group, but I do I had no idea. I used to be in a group that was trying to get signed, and we had a song called.
Speaker 11: Oh yes you can, Yes you can find you a good man. But when you do, you gotta treat um right, make sure you love.
Speaker 2: Is that out a skite now? Now? I mean, come on you guys, Yeah.
Speaker 12: You're claughing.
Speaker 13: But in reality, like, there's so many songs we could write about something other than finding a good man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's yeah, that's what we get to do on the show.
Speaker 13: Sarah Burrellis plays the character Dawn, and we know that she's a brilliant Grammy Award winning songwriter, but it's fun to watch her try to figure out how to write songs badly.
Speaker 2: On this show. Your character is so she's so incredibly confident and really demands the attention of everyone in the room, almost to the point where where she's sort of a little uh action almost ed.
Speaker 10: She is.
Speaker 2: She is just shy success, just shy of it. But on the paper it could read like that. But you have a way of making her so relatable and endearing and you root for her.
Speaker 1: How do you do that? Well?
Speaker 2: I root for her. It's funny.
Speaker 13: I think our experience with anything is really about our perspective in the moment right now, I am a woman of a certain age who would love to have a pop album, who would love to w'd love to try to make it.
Speaker 2: But I'm always looking at myself.
Speaker 13: Like, that's a ridiculous thing to ask at this age, To be a bubblegum pop star at fifty years old, that seems ridiculous to ask.
Speaker 2: And I love the fact that I'm on the show where someone is trying.
Speaker 13: I love the fact that this crazy group of people gives himself the license to dream. It's really more than funny in that way. So, yeah, she's very obnoxious, she's very self centered. She's the reason why the group broke up the first time. But you know, it helps you realize, you know, no matter how bad you mess up, you have another you have an opportunity for a second shot. And yeah, and we can understand why anybody that ambition is so strong it makes you want to root for them.
Speaker 4: That's one of my favorite parts of these characters is they make fun of themselves, but they still dream and they aspire. And my question for you is is that you in real life as well, and how do.
Speaker 1: We keep aspiring?
Speaker 2: How do we keep aspire right, And I had this question.
Speaker 4: And other and people said, Michael, you're going to ask her, that's that silly question. And I said, I want to know how I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to keep a spy because you are a dreamer.
Speaker 1: Can I sing my songs?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're optimistic yet doing there they are aware of their faults and I love it.
Speaker 13: So, yeah, how do you keep how do you keep aspiring? First of all, I think that's the beauty. You surround yourself with people that don't laugh at you right when when or unless unless it motivates you to be laughed at, because that works too. But you surround yourself by people that are trying to do what you're doing. I think that's hugely important, and you have to talk about it a lot. And what I love about the character Wiki I love that she just has these audacious ideas. In season three of Girls fy Veva, she books them a gig at Radio City Music Hall on Thanksgiving morning. Yeah, big swings, because all the money they've made to do this, it's obnoxious. It's ridiculous, Like you kind of need somebody out there that takes big swings because it's either going to decimate you or you're going to pull something off and move forward.
Speaker 2: That's a I think that's inspiring. Do you have situations in your own life where you you meet a challenge and you have to channel your inner wicked? Because I sometimes would love to be able to channel WICKI roy I put on a lot of.
Speaker 13: Care, I put on a lot of there it is, and I get somebody to put some eelashes on.
Speaker 2: No, I actually turn the show on. Believe it or not.
Speaker 13: That sounds so obnoxious, not just like you know, I feel bad today, I'm going to turn myself on television.
Speaker 2: But I actually am doing that this season.
Speaker 13: Because I love I just love the audacity of these women. I think it's super funny. We started doing the show in the middle of COVID, when it was just good to be in breathing around other people. I think we gave each other a lot of crazy messaging during the last couple of years because we had to survive and that was distance means safety.
Speaker 2: I think this show proves that that's not true.
Speaker 13: And I just feel I feel when I look at these women that it's okay to have a license to dream. I think it's okay to be ridiculously ambitious. I think it's okay to join together with your friends at any age and sing harmony and dress up.
Speaker 2: Like you talked about wanting to be a pop star and that seeming ridiculous. But you have your own album coming out.
Speaker 10: I do.
Speaker 2: I do. It's coming out in twenty twenty four. It is.
Speaker 1: It's Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been writing music for a long time.
Speaker 13: I've been a lyricist for a long time, and I've had the great privilege of being able to sing a lot of other people's lyrics like linn Manuel Mirandas and Jonathan Larsons and I was.
Speaker 2: In Hamilton, did you know?
Speaker 8: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: But I'm excited about the audience that we have on our own at the stage of our lives. I'm excited about the fact that I actually have more followers than girls five e us so why not try? But most importantly, I do believe that it's never too late to try something new.
Speaker 2: And there are women of every age that are killing it right now.
Speaker 13: I mean, look, there are just there are just I remember when we first started doing this show, Jennifer Lopez was doing pole dancing at the halftime show at the Super Bowl. Yeah, Like, I love the fact that we are. We are celebrating those women right now. We should be celebrating those women because they're inspiring us that it is never too late to have a country album. Beyonce, Yes, it's never. It's never too late to reinvent yourself. That's right, Well, you are an inspiration. You are so funny in the show. Congratulations on season three. Congratulations on the new album, thank you, thank you for being here.
Speaker 2: Guys we see checked.
Speaker 1: Out all three season but goals by blah blah Netflix Renee Elise goldsm.
Speaker 10: For this.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Thanks j And It's National Pie Day as in pie the number fourteenth day of the third month, three one and four.
Speaker 2: That pie is an apple pie or pizza pie, but pie as in the mathematical constant three point one four.
Speaker 13: Oh my god, this pie everywhere, Pie everywhere, this pie everywhere we can pie.
Speaker 2: Oh, so many kinds of pies.
Speaker 1: This is umar which I will sugar it up by five thirty.
Speaker 10: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching.
Speaker 1: The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on paramount, plus this has been a Comedy Central podcast.
Speaker 10: Cow