Speaker 1: This is Frosted Tips with Lance Bass and I Heart Radio Podcast. Hello, my little peanuts, it's me your host, Lance Bass. This is Frosted Tips of me Lance Bass with my lovely, beautiful, handsome co host Michael Churchin.
Speaker 2: That's it, no other adject I'm just kidding. That was very nice, you babe. Thank you, and I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 3: That's another. Let's start this week.
Speaker 1: We've had requests to not just go right into the interview, because you know, we we go along in these interviews. So I want to get as many questions as I can with these these teen idols for you guys. But I guess apparently you want to hear from us too. I mean, who knew so Turkey? Yeah, you have some questions here I do. Let's get into Evin.
Speaker 3: There's also a question for me.
Speaker 1: I know I have one for you because people want to know you, Okay, they do.
Speaker 3: They want to really get to know you. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm so wondered. Okay, But the first question for you Lance from Rats Ruby r Z. I loved your wedding special. This is how she talks? Was you ever considered doing a reality show?
Speaker 3: Where is she from? Exactly? I don't know. How do they talk like the.
Speaker 1: It sounds like your your blueth Iceland character mixed with someone from Georgia in eighteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Well, she's from Georgia in eighth and eighty eight, but she spent a summa in Iceland. He loves the auction and has adopted as her personality.
Speaker 1: We gotta get Rachel on the show. She sounds very interesting. It's all right, all right. The wedding special, Yes, loved doing that. It took us a while to agree to do that because you know, in this business, when you do a wedding special, and especially a ten year anniversary remarry thing, what do you call that? Oh, you do your vowel. It's never a good thing for the wedding. It's like the kiss of death for a relationship. So that's what always went through my head. I'm like, no, if we have a wedding special, that's just like the kiss of death, and that's just you know, asking to get divorced in the next next year. But then, you know, we got convinced to do it because of the bigger picture. You know, it's the first you know, gay wedding special on television, and I felt like that's you know, people youn't need to see that, especially if a family from my hometown of Mississippi, you know where, and especially at that time, same sex marriage was not even legal, so you know, we were still trying to convince people that we're not going to destroy the world if we get married to the person that we love. So I'm very happy that we ended up doing that. I wish I could go back and enjoy it a little more because it just really and all of those that are married, I'm sure you have the same feeling. It just flew by so quickly and you're talking to everyone and you just you don't know, you don't really get to enjoy the moment because you're kind of there for everyone else. So I think if we went back, I would really enjoy the moment more, and I would actually eat something. I know, I would actually have a drink and have a drink drink.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, I loved it, and look our ten years coming up, so maybe we can Oh wait, no, that's the kiuse of death.
Speaker 3: We can't do that. Well, we're not going to televise it. Oh no, true, we're not going to You're a renewal, it's just going to be an anniversary part.
Speaker 1: Now I'm one of those people think that's so cheesy.
Speaker 3: It's so cheesy. Just have a party. Just have a party. You don't get a renew anything, like you're married. Yeah, we're good. Death to your part.
Speaker 1: If you've done it, great, that's all. It's just not for me.
Speaker 2: And if you're into it, I guess yeah, if you want everything about you.
Speaker 1: And would we ever consider doing a reality show? Oh, we've considered it many times.
Speaker 3: But we said no, no, many, many, many times. I don't think I would ever want to like be like part of a reality show. We're like where the subject.
Speaker 1: Just does exactly agreed. If it was now with kids, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't want them to have that exposure. If it was like our other I don't know. Like for me, like if I was somehow a housewife and it was asked to be the Housewise of Beverly Hills is the only reality show I'd.
Speaker 1: Ever join in my entire life. Oh God, you'd be so good on housewives, I know. I think that's the way you could get vander pump back on Housewives of Beverly Hills. If you joined with her, I think she would totally to come back for.
Speaker 3: You would h well, we need to and Andy here groundbreaking Michael.
Speaker 1: If you could be a member of any boy band, which one would you choose?
Speaker 3: And why? Oh wow?
Speaker 2: I to be honest, I would have I would pick a uh like I Forgot Boys. No, I wouldn't actually know what's where Harry styles is from one direction. One direction. You didn't have to dance, And even though I know I would have loved to dance, like dancing, was.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, because you're a good dancer. Yeah, but no, I would have picked.
Speaker 1: What they call it, one direction, one d You're not a real fan. I wasn't really like what they were called directions.
Speaker 3: We're not going to talk about it. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the contraction, but because yeah, they didn't have to dance much and they weren't screwed over so insanely in their contracts, they actually made a lot of money during their.
Speaker 1: I hope, so I hope that's not just what they say.
Speaker 3: But yeah they say they make no I think they made no.
Speaker 1: I mean they because again they came from TV and just kind of like to get into it.
Speaker 3: They weren't they were, like, you know, kind of later in the boy band thing, so like they were protected way more. They didn't have a loop Perroman taking all their money. So like that's why they all had like real nice houses.
Speaker 2: Real Listen, I just want to have a a So you're a lot of money for the money and the fame, Listen, you guys went through a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: I don't want to have to go through all that.
Speaker 1: All right, here's another question, our last one before you get it to Dan Miller from Avy Gay Eye.
Speaker 3: Hiller, I love them.
Speaker 1: What's a part of parenting that you didn't expect that I didn't expect.
Speaker 3: I oh, I kind of expected everything. Yeah, nothing really surprised. There's nothing. I thought I would have to wake up in the middle of the night way more. I thought at this age they'd be screaming all the time, having nightmares and stuff like that, and.
Speaker 1: So I thought we were because you always hear that, especially toddlers. They're always sick, right, They're always passive playing in the playgroup, they always have a cold, they're always passing into the parents.
Speaker 3: Our kids have not been sick. I know I've been sick. You've been sick. I think they've gotten they've not been sick.
Speaker 1: They hold it well. If they're sick, you don't know it. No, yeah, they'll have a little running nose, but they I agree. I thought that we would be doing many nights at three in the morning giving if they can't breathe, they're crying.
Speaker 3: They're miserable, they have a fever. We're going right.
Speaker 1: Now because I mean, yeah, so far, it's been twenty months and I might have seen them sick one time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't need that.
Speaker 1: But they have not started school yet. And that's where I hear that it all goes down because those kids.
Speaker 3: Are gross sick thick.
Speaker 1: All right, guys, let's take a little break when we come back. See that was that's good talking at.
Speaker 3: The beginning, right. I think you learned a lot about it. We learned so much. Thank you.
Speaker 2: I would like to be Harry's Styles, Yeah is what That's what I should have said.
Speaker 1: I wish you were Harry Styles.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a little break.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now I'm just saying it would be good for you because you would have a really let's go to the break. Amazing career going on right now. You go to this break would have dated Taylor Swift. Yeah, I mean I wish that.
Speaker 3: I wish you were Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: I wish I was Taylor Swift too. Okay, well, all right, let's get out to a break. When we come back, we're gonna have Otown's Dan Miller on frosted dips. All right, let's get into this.
Speaker 3: Let's do it, all right.
Speaker 1: Daniel Mark Miller was born in New Hampshire but raised most of his life in Ohio. He's been singing and dancing since he was young. Dan is the eldest of four children from a non musical family. When he was about nineteen or twenty years old, he auditioned for the band Otown, but didn't make it. Okay, really, Inspio, we can't figure if he was nineteen twenty. I think we could easily go to Google and find the south. Shortly afterwards, one of Otown's group's members made the choice to quit and leave. Luke Pearwlman and the rest of otown group members all picked Dan to be a Kaika's replacement. He has been writing music, touring, performing and singing with the group ever since. Dan Miller, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Lanson Michael, thank you for having me real quick. I am officially the most boring person you've ever had on this show.
Speaker 5: I just want to get it out there.
Speaker 6: I think it will be painfully obvious to everybody moving.
Speaker 5: Forward that I'm the most lame pop star in the history of the world.
Speaker 1: You've obviously not met mister Joey Fatone.
Speaker 3: It's pretty lame, pretty lame as it comes.
Speaker 1: With boy band members, Dan, I'm so excited to have you. We I've been asking the fans, who do we think what boy band is going to be completed on frosted tips And we're almost done with Otown, so we have one more to go, So you guys might be the one.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, we're pretty easy to get a hold up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think is that? I think.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's a good thing. I think I think we're just we're just easy. Can you reach out to us?
Speaker 3: Lance, We're there for you and I love that so much.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: Speaking of band members, we always like to do this at the top of the show. If you were to text your band members right now, who do you think would be the first to text your back? And I think you should try it right now, just to prove it. Yeah, sure, get in there. You have to don't say your own frosted tips. They're probably gonna gotcha. Yeah, but you got to say some random obscure question.
Speaker 5: It's going to be Jacob, that's what it would be. Oh yeah, yeah, it's going to be Jacob. It's mainly because I've already yeah, I've only I've.
Speaker 6: Already texted Jacob like fifteen times this morning, so I'm pretty sure he will be the first one.
Speaker 1: Well in the band, do you think you and Jacob were the closest in the band or did you all have kind of the same relationship.
Speaker 5: I mean, we all kind of had the same relationship. It's funny because Trevor and I are like the two most different people in the world you could ever imagine. Like Trevor is like.
Speaker 6: Like always on, always, always alive, and I really don't like people at all. When I when I got married, when I got married twenty years ago, Trevor was the only member of the band who I asked to be in my bridal party. So, but now our relationship is a lot different now than it was twenty years ago. We're all we all have like our own unique relationships and we're all pretty much equally close.
Speaker 5: I would say, yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean I've I joined your Pop two thousand tour for a bit and it was so much fun. I love what y'all been doing. And this tour just keeps going and going. And now boy Chris Kirkpatrick is on the road with you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: How is Chris doing?
Speaker 3: Is he? Is he annoying you yet? Are you about to kick him away?
Speaker 5: I mean he's always annoying. Yes, yeah, that's okay, He's always annoying.
Speaker 6: We've had like a little issue recently where like we've been doing We've been doing instinct choreography the same for six years, right, but now Chris is like before every show he.
Speaker 5: Kind of like, second guess is what the actual choreography is?
Speaker 6: And he comes He's like, I think it's like this, and so we're trying to We're like, I mean, this is your stuff, so like we should like whatever you want to do, just let us know.
Speaker 5: He changes his mind pretty much every other show.
Speaker 6: We have to like adapt on the fly and then we change it, and then in the show he still does it.
Speaker 5: He'll go the wrong way or something.
Speaker 1: Of course, Well, the last person you want to ask about choreography is Chris Ka Patrick and myself?
Speaker 3: So yeah, never listened to us, but you had two really great guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know the first time we did choreography with Chris, we were like, well, well, Lance said, you know, we should do it this way, and he was like, wait, you asked Lance. You asked Lance about choreography. That's where you messed up. Yeah, so you guys are both on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were in the same boat for sure. I remember when we first started. You know, I didn't know that we were going to be dancing because I just thought we were gonna be an a cappella group. So when we went to our first dance class, it was always Chris and I that would stay back the good too or three hours to really figure this out because they literally had to teach me how to have rhythm. I mean I had like show choir rhythm, right, that kind stuff, but I didn't have you know, hip hop style dance rhythm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, spirit fingers were great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 6: I'm very familiar with the show choir rhythm. You know, obviously we both come from the show choir world. And let's just say I had a little bit more than show choir rhythm.
Speaker 5: So that's why I was.
Speaker 6: I was a little bit of a star in the show choir world, not because I was good, but just because I was like one little half notch above show.
Speaker 1: You were that extra person in show choir, which I appreciate. Uh, I'm the one that they stuck like in the third row side, just you know, because I was Also I was also the shortest person in my classes.
Speaker 3: You know, you're like a nice filler child. Yeah, I was a filler child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still I'm a fillers. Oh my gosh, what what was the name of your show choir and what what school was that?
Speaker 6: I was in a show choir called Great Expectation, which is so funny, that's Great Expectations. And this was from Twinsburg, Ohio. But it was good to me, Like I still have most of my like best friends are from that time, at least from my high school friends. And then I met my.
Speaker 5: Wife in show choir.
Speaker 6: I met her at I met her at a at a show choir camp, which is as nerdy as a.
Speaker 1: Come now, where did you go to show car camp? Because did you go to Millican University?
Speaker 6: I went to Heidelberg University which Heidelberg, which is one which is in I think it's in Ohio.
Speaker 5: It's in Ohio, which is where I'm from.
Speaker 1: See, I went and it was Millican Universe. I think that's Illinois, right, I forget, I.
Speaker 3: Have no idea.
Speaker 5: I think so yeah, so fun.
Speaker 3: I loved it. Show Choir.
Speaker 1: It really helped me in so many ways. That the discipline and I can assume that, you know, when you got into this crazy business of the entertainment, it was those I don't all that ever, that was instilled to me by my director is what I took. And I think that's what made me so successful in what I'm doing today. And I always go back to those yea.
Speaker 3: I mean moments.
Speaker 6: I had so many opportunities even just started, like I was able to choreograph.
Speaker 5: I started doing choreography for the for the show Choir.
Speaker 6: I was, you know, working on you know, composing harmonies and get you know, working in four and five part harmonies outside of being in the in the show choir, and you know, there's all this like it's funny to say now, but you kind of get you try to have to like hold yourself with some professionalism when you're so you really have to learn all these different.
Speaker 5: Ways to kind of get ahead in the show choir world.
Speaker 1: It's so true. What was it like growing up in Ohio? Tell us about Little Damn? Were you always musical? Because it says here that your family wasn't very musical? So how did you How did you grow to love that?
Speaker 6: I don't know where it came from because my dad is like the least musical person you could ever meet. My mom is a little creative, right, you know, like even in your family, I know you do not have a musical family, and.
Speaker 1: My mom's a great singer, but you know, does music. My uncle Doc great guitar player and loves to sing. But that's the only one in my family, even extended family, that can sing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't think I have anybody. There's nobody that does anything. But I don't know.
Speaker 6: From a very early age, like it was just the dancing kind of came first.
Speaker 5: I was kind of a late bloomer. I hit puberty late. So I had a super high voice.
Speaker 6: And so I would like when I first started getting solos in in in middle school or whatever, I was getting like the girl solos because I could sing that high and so I don't know, it's just like it was just kind of easy and at the you know, when you're in middle school and you get attention for dancing in the center of a circle at a at a school dance, or singing singing super high at a choir concert.
Speaker 5: You feel like the king of the world.
Speaker 2: You know, true at the center of that circle. That's like in junior high that is where you want to be. I mean, that's where you got to be cool. You got to be in the center of that circle.
Speaker 3: Dancing. Yeah, I remember, like it was like thie dances.
Speaker 2: Like we'd have like a bar mits when you take off your time and the girl would pick the next person and you dance.
Speaker 3: Okay, we never did that. Oh yeah, we did that in Miami. This is very in Miami now, we could never do that.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 1: Also, most of us were Southern Baptists. You're not supposed to dance, right, It's like you're going to hell and dance.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: In your school because where I grew up in Clinton, it was it was really cool to be in music and show choir and all that type of stuff. Theater in your school was it was it cool for a boy to be singing.
Speaker 5: Uh yes and no. I'd say for most people it wasn't.
Speaker 6: I kind of like, uh, my school is kind of mixes even though we're in the middle of we were a suburb of Cleveland, so like, you know, we had a good mix of black kids and white kids in the school, and I was kind of like in the middle. I was kind of like I was, you know, I just I just kind of was able to ride that line in the middle. So I was kind of cool. But then I kind of wasn't. I never really found like a good a good.
Speaker 1: I feel like you would have been friends with every single click in high school.
Speaker 5: That's kind of what happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I was able to kind of like I was also like captain of the basketball team and stuff.
Speaker 5: Like that, so I was able to kind of like whatever.
Speaker 6: Non cool things I was doing, it was bound out by something kind of cool and kind of sporty on the other end, So I was able to kind of have.
Speaker 5: A little bit of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're obsessed with basketball. I know on the road, you were always watching on FaceTime your kid playing basketball, like like the total basketball dad in the state. But on his face time about to go on stage, it's just like so focused on watching.
Speaker 3: His son play. Is that what you're gonna be? Like, well, hopefully with baseball.
Speaker 1: See I was telling and I want some advice from you. So yes, you know, I think my boy is gonna be pretty sporty. Like everything he does is like he can throw a ball across the room. I mean, it's just and it's he's you can tell he's gonna be good at that.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: I you know, as a concerned parent, I don't want him to do a sport like football or rugby or anything that's going to really bruise the brain, right learning so much about this stuff. Yeah, I think a great safe sport is baseball. You know, yes, you can get hit in the head, but you got a helmet.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: Do you think it is bad that I push a sport on a kid? Is that like being a bad parent?
Speaker 6: Okay, No, I don't think it's being a bad parent, because as a parent, you just want your kids to be successful whenever they're doing. However, you know, like I said, I was obsessed with basketball growing up. It's all I ever thought about.
Speaker 5: You know. It was after I left the.
Speaker 6: Band and I realized, you know, we had a break, I.
Speaker 5: Went back to college.
Speaker 6: I actually thought about trying out for the cow State Long Beach men's basketball team, just.
Speaker 5: To like try it to see if I do have that obsessed with it.
Speaker 6: Right. But with that being said, so I thought my son was going to be a basketball player, right, I was convinced. But from the time he was born, all he wanted to do was pick up a soccer ball and all that's.
Speaker 5: All he's done. I mean, he does try everything.
Speaker 6: But soccer is this thing now and now me, it was like a complete nut job.
Speaker 5: I am a co owner of a.
Speaker 6: Soccer trading facility and a soccer club in Arizona, so like, so.
Speaker 5: I've traded Like so I've traded in. So I've traded in.
Speaker 6: Like all this this basketball fanaticism for soccer, and I'm doing the same thing on the weekends. I actually had just this past weekend, we had a show in just outside of Chicago, and I had to leave the biggest youth soccer tournament in the country to go and it was like it was the worst.
Speaker 5: Like I it was.
Speaker 6: It was the first time since I got back together, like we started otown reunited, like three weeks after.
Speaker 5: My daughter was born and I left to go on road three weeks, which was the worst. I hated. I almost put the band. Every weekend I went around the road who shows and I regretted every second of it that I went.
Speaker 6: But this was the first time since then that I went to do a show, and it was an amazing show there was.
Speaker 5: It was one of the biggest shows we had ever had with Pop two thousand.
Speaker 6: There was like thirteen thousand people who showed up Justice two thousand, right, and I got off stage and I wasn't happy, like we had an amazing show. All I could think about, how is how I missed one game at this soccer tournament and like it was the worst?
Speaker 5: Like so so okay, I got off track. Long story short, it does it doesn't matter.
Speaker 6: I think you'll like, you can force your kids one way, but ultimately you're just gonna want to see them happy and want to see them succeed. So if you want to force them to play baseball but they suck at baseball, you're not gonna want to see play baseball anymore.
Speaker 5: You know, Well, how.
Speaker 1: Do you balance the the career and the family life?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Because obviously family comes first, but you know, Otown is such a huge business in your own tour all the time. Are there certain roles that you put on your your career, like no, I will only spend this many months a year doing this, or you know, or give the guys like, look, I could only have this weekend off that type of stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's exactly right.
Speaker 6: When we first got back together, I was the last one to agree to join, and pretty much what I said to the guys was like I can do this, but you need to work around me. So and they were so cool with it. They were like, yeah, So I was like, I will only I had I had all of these demands and pretty much I don't think they really knew what they were agreeing to, but they just said yes to kind of get me to do it. So it was like in the beginning, it was like, I will only do you know, travel two weekends of the month, and I need to know three months in advance, how long you know which shows were going to and how far?
Speaker 5: And I had all these little things we need to rehearse where.
Speaker 6: I'm at so I don't need to travel for rehearsals stuff like that, and all along the way they were really cool about doing that to this day. Like when we do rehearsals, they come to me, which is so helpful with travel. Like, but again, I'm pretty lame, so I fly in on red eyes, I'm always I'm always the last one to get there, and then as soon as the shows are done, I'm on the earliest.
Speaker 5: Flight to get home.
Speaker 6: So like, I've kind of made all these like little things to make make me miss as little family time as possible while while not while not have it sacrifice what we're trying to do with the Bandstuh, that's great.
Speaker 1: It's so important to have that balance, and I love that you have figured that out because I'm sure a lot of musicians on the road still have not figured out that that fine balance family and career. Yeah, yeah, all right, let's get into how you got in the band. So you know, Ashley told us he had a manager that sent him to this audition. Trevor did a self tape video with a friend. The friend got called in.
Speaker 3: He did not.
Speaker 1: How did you get to the auditions?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was on the MTV website and I was looking for information to audition for the real world actually, which is funny because again I would have been the worst Real World cast member of all time. I'm horrible on TV. I don't like talking about myself. I don't like drama, Like I would have been the worst, the worst Real World. But while while I was on there, I saw a link that said, you know, do you think you It was something like I forget what it was, but it was something like, do you think you could be an in sync or backs?
Speaker 5: It was something like that, you know, And I was like, yeah, like I.
Speaker 3: Did train in my whole life. Yeah, to this.
Speaker 5: Day, I would. I would leave Otown in a heartbeat.
Speaker 6: I say, Kevin needed a member to fill in, right, So, like I knew for a fact that I could do this, and I just I submitted a videotape and the rest was kind of history. I actually decided to go, Like you submitted a videotape and I planned to go to whatever the local audition was.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 5: It was Nashville.
Speaker 6: I was at the University of Cincinnati at the time, and I decided to even though I hadn't heard back from my audition tape, I decided to go anyway.
Speaker 5: In the morning, I was driving up to Nashville, I got.
Speaker 6: A phone call say, hey, you got a call back, would you mind coming out to Nashville today and come to this audition?
Speaker 5: Which I did.
Speaker 1: Wow, Now the intro that I did said you were nineteen or twenty years old?
Speaker 3: Can we squash this right now?
Speaker 5: How old were.
Speaker 3: You when you auditioned? I was nineteen Internet, we could put that to.
Speaker 1: Wikipedia, Babe Calwick right now? So yeah, so nineteen years old? I mean you're just what you're a sophomore in college at this time?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Were you thinking was it in the back of your mind that you could ever get this part, like get into this band or was this just something fun for you?
Speaker 5: M No.
Speaker 6: I mean I I grew up in a very like again, my parents had nothing to do with music business. We lived in Ohio. The Internet wasn't a big thing like it's you know, and so I didn't know and my parents didn't know that these kind of opportunities were out there for people, right. So, Like, you know, when I was a kid and I said, Mom, can I really think I should go audition for the Mickey Mouse Club? She was like, ah, you know, like it was kind of she never discouraged me, but you know, she did also didn't like, didn't push you jump, jump in the car and drive to Orlando.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Mom.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And in fairness, like most at that time, without having any information and not being a stage mom, who would like who.
Speaker 3: Would do that?
Speaker 1: And I also want their kids to be told no, you know chance, you're probably not gonna make it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, So like I did.
Speaker 6: I always I felt like I was talented, but I grew up in a small town in Ohio, and I felt like it was a big fish in a small pond. But to my parents' credit, when I told them that I was, you know, literally dropping out of school college in the middle of a week, in the middle of midterms to go to Orlando to try this thing out, my parents like, yeah, go, it's awesome.
Speaker 5: You have to do it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: So it's like, I don't know, I never thought that it would really happen, But once I got there, I was like, I'm not a confident person.
Speaker 5: I really am not. But once I got there, I was.
Speaker 6: Like, yeah, I'm good enough to do this, you know, because I mean, granted, there were some other people there who were not very good, so that made me feel good about myself.
Speaker 3: That's always a great home.
Speaker 6: Some of the some of the guys that Lou brought in for this audition were we're we're we're not the most talented.
Speaker 3: Play sure there were all his limo drivers at one point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there was one or two limo drish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure. That was a comment threat. For sure.
Speaker 1: I remember when when Justin and Lou called my house and talked to my mom the first time. It was probably like a one minute conversation. She's like, yeah, we're good, thanks.
Speaker 3: And kind of yeah. It didn't even tell me about the first call.
Speaker 1: I'm like okay, and then the second call, you know, she was like, well, maybe this is real. I don't know.
Speaker 3: She tried to sabotage.
Speaker 1: Sabotage again. Yeah, but no, it was very very supportive. I mean, I was sixteen years old and I'm like, hey, Mom, I'm going to go to Orlando and uh, you know, move away, quit high school, you know whatever. It's going to really agree with that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure at that point you barely probably left the state.
Speaker 1: I had probably left the state well Florida, of course, as we go to the Beach so or Disney World, so Florida, we drove. Oh yeah, we did the whole twelve fourteen hours all the time. Yeah, we never got on a plane. Please, that's for rich Pittsford city folks. That's for city folks.
Speaker 3: They didn't fly you out. You have to pay for your own.
Speaker 1: No, they flew me out. That was the first time was on a plane. Yeah, they flew Oh I thought you meant just when I would.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: No, they rolled out the red carpet for me. They flew me out. I landed Orlando. Justin's there at the the baggage clan looking oh cool, Like, what's that dude in his big silver puffy jacket. And they got lou Proman there rolling up with his Rolls Royce and limo. I'm like, well, which do I choose? The limo of the Rolls Royce.
Speaker 5: But where did you go? Where did they take you? This is a test. Where did they take you straight from the.
Speaker 1: Airport to the house that we were going to be living in?
Speaker 5: Oh? So they didn't take you to Lose House?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, we didn't see Lose House for a bit. I mean the guys had, but I was the last to join. So the guys were already living at a house there on sand Lake Road. So I went there and I pulled up and they're playing basketball. It was either basketball or hockey. I think it was basketball, which, unlike you, I can't stand basketball. I don't mind watching it, I just can't play it, and it makes me look so much anxiety. Uh.
Speaker 3: And so as I roll.
Speaker 1: Up and they're all playing basketball, I'm like, oh, no, they're gonna hate me and they're gonna to play basketball. So anxiety was already flowing through me immediately when I pulled up into this house.
Speaker 6: Well, I had a different when I when I got escorted from the airport, we went directly to lose House and I got there and I wasn't picked up by the band.
Speaker 5: I was picked up by one of those limo drivers you were talking about.
Speaker 6: And I was picked up and I brought to the house, and I had different anxiety because when I got there, the other members of the band were all in lose pool and they were all having a chicken fight.
Speaker 5: They were all chicken fighting, like I.
Speaker 6: Think Jacob was on loose shoulders, and I'm like, I thought to myself, I was like, I was like, my anxiety was more like, oh, this is the best place for me, because this seems weird. It seems so weird. From my very first time, I was like, this can't be what it was. It was too boy bandy even for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they seen a yeah exactly like the gasoline fight and zoom Lander.
Speaker 3: You're like, what the hell am I getting myself into?
Speaker 5: That's what I felt like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a yeah, that's like cheese tastic right there. You sang terror in my Heart Heart for the audition. I feel like they only chose three songs that everyone could sing because I swear every person I know that audition for O Town singing Terror at my.
Speaker 3: Heart it was a you know, it was a canty song back then. Yeah, it was not the only thing they could approve for ABC.
Speaker 1: Exactly what it was that song?
Speaker 6: Well again that we only had like three songs, and you know it was I remember tearing up my Heart being one.
Speaker 5: I Feel like a Girl on TV by LFO was another one, okay, and I feel like that may have been it.
Speaker 6: As we got later, we were able to sing I swear by all for one at some point, but that was really it. So yeah, I mean it is a great song, but I really had no other options. I would have sung something. I would have sung like something more harmed.
Speaker 5: At the time, I.
Speaker 1: Had a choice because we all thought we were R and B. You know, on top of all already being so stressed out for this experience having an audition for this group, you're being filmed the whole time too, and like you said, you you says you're not you're not built for television. How did you feel about that element of this experience of just being filmed the whole time.
Speaker 5: Well, the unique thing for us is that, like now everybody knows what it's like to have a camera in your face everywhere you go, Like everybody, everybody who gets into the entertainment business, like that's almost before talent.
Speaker 1: Well, everybody born now has a camera in their face. I mean, our poor children have a camera in their face. I would say fifty time, we're always like, oh, like how cute this is. Oh we're on FaceTime with Grandpa.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they're just cameras everywhere.
Speaker 5: But when we started, like that wasn't like a thing.
Speaker 6: I just and I didn't know I was bad on camera until I was on camera all the time and I saw it back and I was like, you know, I just realized how much more comfortable the other guys looked in their interviews or when they're when they're just having a regular conversation that.
Speaker 5: I just didn't You didn't. You didn't know, Like there.
Speaker 6: Was plenty of times. You know now you see cameras at every single event you go to. When we started, we would go to these events with the cameras following us, and celebrities would run. They didn't want to be anywhere on camera. They didn't they didn't know what it was about. They didn't want to be anywhere near. So most people had no clue what we are even doing, let alone being And I was included that I had no clue, So I didn't know I was bad until I was like smack dab in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I I totally understand that.
Speaker 3: I remember.
Speaker 1: And it was also it wasn't TMZ at the time, but there was there's some kind of camera thing that everyone was running fro oh. I wasn't that it was Ashton freaking Kutcher with his whole punk So everyone was so scared of always being punked. So if you saw a camera, if you saw anything, you were just you wouldn't do anything. You would freeze. But I remember meeting you guys in New York at mug Shots on First Avenue, and I think you had the cameras there, but I refused to sign the release, like there's no yeah, I can't, I can't be and I can't do this. I just wanted to get y'all there to warn you all about Loup Pearlman. That's like, I gotta tell these guys what to look out for. I remember sitting down.
Speaker 5: Why did you tell them before the chicken fights fights?
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: So, so what did you know about Loup Pearlman before you auditioned? Did you know anything about him?
Speaker 6: I mean I knew that, uh he had put together you guys in Backstory Choice.
Speaker 5: That was about it. But shortly after we got there, shortly after I came.
Speaker 6: Back to be in the band, it was pretty widely known that you guys had already had your lawsuit with him Backtreet had already had their lawsuit, and uh so we were kind of like, in some ways we were kind of protected because we this was even before we signed some of our contracts, so we were able to kind of like, I mean, our contracts sucked horribly, but but that being said, I mean, well, that's that's up for debate. We can talk about that. But the point is that, like we were able to kind of protect ourselves and be like, all right, let's watch out for this guy. But ultimately we're a brand new act signing for the first time, and every artist gets screwed over on their first contract, or at least that's the way they told us back then, that's the way to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, yeah, crazy.
Speaker 6: Where our where our contract got really, really, really bad was the fact that we had the TV show tied into it. So whereas our recording contract was already pretty bad and we were getting this slice in the pie that's small, small slice, we were splitting that small slice three ways between lou and then all of the TV people involved, so we were splitting with MTV and ABC as well.
Speaker 3: So when you save all these people, yeah, that is correct.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: For a period of time, and they were tea they were using our contract and at USC law school and the entertainment law class as the worst contract they had ever seen.
Speaker 5: They were using it to kind.
Speaker 1: Of yeah yeah I didn't, yeah, I forgot. Yeah, you have this TV element because look, network screw you big time. Record label screw you big time, and you have two coming together, you're going to get a double screwed, which is good in some cases, but in this case it's horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it was a good one.
Speaker 1: But I'm glad. Did you have so with making the band? Did y'all make any money off that? Or was the ABC like we're taking all of this, Like did y'all get to see any of that?
Speaker 5: So that making the band?
Speaker 6: We actually did get to see it so good With Lou, I mean you you know how Lou was like, oh.
Speaker 1: He's the six members of the band, right right, yeah.
Speaker 6: So but to make it even worse, like it's one thing to be the sixth member of the band, but then he still pays everybody else their share. But what would happen with Lou is all the money would come in and then when we like, hey, like we're doing some money, right, and he would say, well, like sue me for it, like rather than paying you like like a no contract says you would kind of want to need tossue him for it.
Speaker 5: Whereas at least with the TV show, it was like.
Speaker 6: All right, I'm due to make this much money and it's delivered on this day, you know. So we made a little bit of money, not nearly as much as some of the reality stars made in the in the future, just because we were it was different, you know, it was different back then. We didn't know although, you know, like I actually got lucky because again you mentioned I joined the band late. One of the guys that was in the band at Kaika quit and he quit after I don't know, maybe like three fourths of the filming for season one was done, and then I came for the last quarter and I remember it was the day that everybody got handed their checks, and through some oversight, when it came time to give checks, the check that I got was the exact same amount that all of the other guys in the band got. And I remember thinking I only did a quarter the word that these guys did, but I got the same check that they got. So I was kind of thinking they didn't know what to do with the Kaika was money, they just gave it to me.
Speaker 5: I was happy with that, I think.
Speaker 3: So you like that.
Speaker 1: I think, so I hope Kai is not listening to this right now.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, well it's thattual limitation.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but why did a Kaika leave the group? I don't think I've ever asked this question.
Speaker 5: If I don't know, I've never actually talked to him.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 6: We I mean we've only passed across paths a handful of times. Yeah, and uh, you know one I get the impression he was kind of like me and that like he didn't know what he was signing up for when he got got in there. And it's a big difference coming from where he came from. And I need to move to move to Orland.
Speaker 1: Well, I've seen the common denominator for a lot of our groups is uh that it's never the original group. There's always like one person that wants to drop out. Me even us, I replaced a guy yea. And the common thing that I find is they all got into it and said, oh, this isn't the market I want to go to. They thought it was this kid market that they.
Speaker 3: Just didn't want to touch.
Speaker 1: You know, there were two they were too good for that, and so they leave. Even the Beatles, you know, they had what Pete beste best So like every group had that guy that you know that left, And thank God for them, because we wouldn't be here to get together talking right now.
Speaker 6: Wasn't there a guy that was offered the chance of being both in Sync and Backstreet?
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's the case, because the guy I replaced was one of Joey's best friends.
Speaker 3: But maybe he could have auditioned.
Speaker 5: I don't know, Chris, I thought there was a guy named was it Charlie?
Speaker 1: Maybe there's there is a guy Charlie that's that. Kirkpatrick knows, Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, speaking of doubles, speaking of double screwed, you know, missing out on.
Speaker 1: Kirkpatrick has all the answers because he was He watched this whole thing.
Speaker 5: Don't admit that, don't know.
Speaker 3: I know, it's very hard to admit. He was there.
Speaker 1: Look, he put the band together. He he could have auditioned for Backstreet. But then that Howie Duerou did not tell him about it, told oh, that's what was I think Charlie might have been in course with them in college, and I think maybe Howie asked Charlie's audition that was to his left and did not turn to his right and asked christ did not ask yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: There we go.
Speaker 1: So then Chris started his own band, yeah, Chris, I know that's the that's the revenge you want. I'm gonna start my own, so it's all, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: Howie, Yeah, you're the bwiebe.
Speaker 1: When you were standing there and they called the five guys and you did not make it the first time, what was going through your mind? Because it was you were You're right there, so that you had been thinking like, wow, I think I made this.
Speaker 6: Well again, I'm not a confident person, but in that moment, this is bad to say because it's gonna come off.
Speaker 5: Wrong, but I don't care. Yeah, I felt like I was the best one there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so when they didn't call me, like like my delusional brain thought, well, maybe they're saving me for some solo something.
Speaker 1: But that also know that all other guys also said that you were the most talented of everyone and they were so surprised that you did not make that final cut.
Speaker 5: Well, that's that's very nice of them to say.
Speaker 6: And I again, I will fully admit that I am not meant to be a solo artist. I'm not, like you know, I can barely handle the interviews and the and the video stuff right now, and I'm in a band, so I needed somebody else to lean on.
Speaker 5: So I would have been horrible, just like would have been horrible as a you know, on the rail, and I also would have been horrible as a solo artist.
Speaker 6: But I honestly had so much confidence coming out of that audition because I went from like I said, I went came from Ohio and I went to this thing with which is a nation wide thing, and I felt like, if not deep, I was up at the top of the list, or I should have been in talent purposes, but I was probably near the bottom in terms of like if the if the people from the television show were looking for people to cause drama and stuff, I was somewhere near the bottom.
Speaker 5: So all that kind of stuff played into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the talent kind of goes in the back burner sometimes when it comes to tell vision. Yeah, you gotta fit that mold for sure. Now, I would have assumed that you were automatically in the bands, that you had just gone through that same audition process as everyone else, but you had to basically audition again to get it to the group.
Speaker 3: So so how did you what did you audition with that time?
Speaker 1: And did were you're like, really, guys, really you're gonna make Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean to be honest, I think this is one thing that actually I can say like good about Lou.
Speaker 5: For me was I had gone away.
Speaker 6: I went back to college, and then they called me back and I came.
Speaker 5: They called me on like.
Speaker 6: A Monday, and I was in Orlando on a Wednesday, and all I told, all I told was like a trial like it was. I was still auditioning, right, but pretty much all I was doing was I was I was in the band. I was just living their schedule. I was going to choreography, I was going through vocal training.
Speaker 5: We were doing well.
Speaker 1: They just wanted an out just in case you're an asshole. That's right, Let's give it a good three week trial period. If we don't like him, we can kick them out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And at the end of this week, at the end of the first week, like my flight was leaving in the.
Speaker 6: Morning, we were all sitting around Lou's house and it was kind of a really awkward and awkward interaction that cameras are. There were sitting in you know, this big room, and louis kind of like bullshitting. He's like talking and he's talking and talking. He's almost like killing time, and he kept getting up and leaving the room to talk with the production staff of ABC and then come back in and he would bullshit and more and blah blah. Come to find out, during that time, Lou was waiting to get confirmation from ABC and MTV that they would approve me to be in the band and be.
Speaker 5: On the show.
Speaker 6: More importantly, right, and from everything I've heard, ABC and MTV did not want me because I didn't fit what they had going for him. But to lose credit, he came back in and like he went above them and just said, oh, by the way. He came back after like fifth time coming in out and just said, by.
Speaker 5: The way, you're in the band.
Speaker 6: And I kind of thinking back now, I remember looking around at some of the camera crew and some of the production staff going like they were like kind of shocked.
Speaker 5: Then he did that, but they never looked back, and I never heard anything. But I didn't find some of that stuff out until much later in the process.
Speaker 1: We have such similarities that kind of happened to me. I didn't know at the time, but when we signed to BMG AIOLA over in Germany, the president of that label did not want me in the group because my dance skills weren't up to par like everyone else. Yeah, and the guys and Johnny Wright and I guess Lou I don't know, stood up for me and they're like, no, it's this band or nothing. And they literally were going to say no to this contract if they kicked me out.
Speaker 3: Of this group.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know that. Two years later, I'm like, wow, and we do only known each other for I mean less than a year, so I'm like, yeah, I could have easily been just dumped, right, It's like, yeah, kick him out or getting a record deal. But uh, I mean, how great was that? When you have that that so much support from your your band members and your management, it is nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it did feel good.
Speaker 6: I mean, and I didn't know that story until later, But again, it all worked out for us, So I'm happy about that.
Speaker 1: I know they put you in the group. That must have been an incredible moment. Who was the first person you called when you made the band?
Speaker 6: I think I called my parents, my you know, like again, my parents knew nothing about the music business. But when it came time to like, I'm dropping out of college and I'm going to do this thing and I did it once and then I did it again when when they called me back, they totally backed me up, and then we're supportive of the whole way.
Speaker 5: Well, what did you didn't know?
Speaker 1: What did you do in that hiatus time between not making it and making it, because that was a few months in between back to college, so you just I did right back to college.
Speaker 6: I went back, and it was easy to go back to college because, like what everything they told us about the show at this point was everything had to be secret. We had to sign NDAs, and like we couldn't talk about what was happening, who made it, who got cut, all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: So like, I didn't tell anybody, my best friends in the world, I didn't tell. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: If you didn't tell one person, you have to tell one person.
Speaker 6: I'm sure I told my parents because they were probably wondering what the heck was going on. But yeah, so I I went back and I just went back to school, and in the meantime, I was.
Speaker 5: Filled with all this confidence.
Speaker 6: So I was doing all these little things, like I was, you know, signing up to perform at talent shows or sing national anthem at the running joke was always when they.
Speaker 5: Called me up.
Speaker 6: When Lou called me up back up to kind of invite me back, I thought in my head, I thought they were inviting me to do some sort of a solo project. I didn't know the band was there, so I was trying to like pitch myself and tell them how cool I am. And I was all excited because I was getting I was going to sing the national anthem at the Cincinnati Bearcats game in like a couple of weeks, and I was all excited about that, and I thought that was so.
Speaker 5: About make me like look cooler.
Speaker 6: But now I just just get rubbed in my face. And you know, I didn't play it cool I was. I was just trying to, like I was trying to look cool more than anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, as a nineteen year old being thrust into the spotlight immediately, I mean, especially because y'all are the first to really bring in I mean, you had the real world and all that, but I feel like you're the reason that reality really took off because especially in the music world, you know, you really got to know these musicians and you have a I don't know, you have this more of a connection with them when you're on TV. And I feel like now every artist these days has to have some kind of element of television or close social media.
Speaker 3: Social media.
Speaker 1: You have to see them, you have to get to know their personalities before you even know their music. What was it like as a nineteen year old? And was this year two thousand and one? Well, here was a two.
Speaker 5: Thousand, two thousand, two thousand and one, so.
Speaker 1: It's still before social media. No one really, I mean half people have cell phones, so it was easier to get around. What was it like being a teen idol at such an early age and just kind of like overnight.
Speaker 6: I had a really hard time with it. I really struggle with it because again I don't really like people. I liked the little bit of time when was on stage. I like being on stage.
Speaker 3: But I did you have a girlfriend at the time.
Speaker 6: I did have a girlfriend at a time that didn't last long after we got in the band, and I actually had I actually married my high school sweetheart, So the one that I met in show choir, we had split up for a little bit in college, and then we got back together after I joined the band, So we're going on twenty.
Speaker 5: Years now marriage.
Speaker 6: So that's kind of crazy. But all I've ever wanted to be, and this is the god's honest truth. I've just always wanted to be normal, Like I just I never when I'm on stage, I like being the pop star, but when I'm off stage, I hated it. So like, I did everything I could, and I maybe even came off like a like a dick sometimes that you know, to people, because I just did everything I could to.
Speaker 5: Avoid the spot, right.
Speaker 6: I let the other guy take the lead on that. It was like, oh, there's an interview, go ahead, Trev, you got this one. I'm gonna go this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of us are just not built for that. Some are just true musicians and just like to do the art. And yeah, I have this very you know, normal life. I am not that person. I like and I like to be a goop fall and I like to be stupid in front of a camera. But jc' is that that way?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: J C never cared for interviews or being out in public or you know, any of the attention at all. He just really cared about just the music. So yeah, I mean everyone has their own way of handling things.
Speaker 3: But that's a good part of a group, you know, it'd be if you had everybody like thirsting for the camera, it would just be the most annoying group in the world. You know, you need to have you need different personalities to attract different people. You know, there was a lot of people that like the quieter.
Speaker 1: And see I'm opposite now, so in the group. If you watch me in any interviews, I am the most boring person you've ever heard in an interview. I didn't say a word, and.
Speaker 3: You're very monogential. I don't know, and.
Speaker 1: Now you know me today is completely polar opposite of what my personality was in this band. But that's also because I can be myself. You know, I was just hiding something you were hiding, Yeah, exactly, like to find out. So in two thousand and three, the group disbanded. Now did you know this was coming? Did you embrace this because you like more of a private life?
Speaker 5: Did I know it was coming? No? For us, we didn't know that the group was like breaking up. You know.
Speaker 6: It's like we had spent like three to four years of like working our butts off every single day for like literally four straight years, and we had never gotten to the point where we could just say, you know, what like we need like a couple months off, a little just.
Speaker 3: A little bit out of sight, out of mind.
Speaker 6: And so we and so we took we took a breath, and it was just it wasn't even like a breakup. It was just like we decided we all needed to just just go our separate ways a little bit and relax and like reset families and reset. And then before we knew it, it was like ten years later.
Speaker 1: So also because y'all right at the tail end of the boy band craze, right, I mean it started turning into something different, and yeah, so it was just right at that tail end, so I could see y'all take a little hiatus and me like, well, is it even worth it to come back now that the fans aren't really there? TRL is not really spinning. In fact, I don't even know if Tirrel was around much longer after that, Right, I'm trying to think with that end, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, not in it's current stage, not it's Kurt stage.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, it like it kind of went it went from like being the biggest and most important thing in the world to there, but kind of on the tail end, and ultimately, like I embraced it I loved not having to be like the person anymore. But what I realized is that, like, no matter what I did for the rest of my life, like my last name to most people is going to be from Otown, not Miller.
Speaker 5: It's like I'm Dan from Otown. Oh yeah, and people have you know.
Speaker 6: And so like it took the time where we had we had that break for me to realize that I need to I should just race it, like quit hiding from it.
Speaker 5: There's a way to kind of deal with it.
Speaker 6: And it kind of gave me a better appreciation for what it is that we do. And I'm more comfortable with that now.
Speaker 1: You know, later when you're in the group, you know, it's hard not to focus on the hate that comes along with it. So there's a part of you, especially with me, that was embarrassed to be a part of a boy band at that time, Like like half the world just hates me just because I'm in a boy band.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like it's crazy that that just the vile things that come out of people's uh mouths about a boy band member.
Speaker 3: It's really a lot of hate.
Speaker 5: You don't.
Speaker 1: You don't understand, bab It was it was a lot, but we went through the trenches and it's.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, in terms of the celebrity in general, you always have half the population.
Speaker 1: Well, Dolly Parton, you know, she's got way more than half the population on her side. Okay, what I was saying, let's yeah, it's hard to be a boy member out there.
Speaker 3: Okay, literally zero pity for you.
Speaker 1: But like I was there, but you embrace it later on, You're like, you know what it was, that was a freaking awesome time and we made some good shit.
Speaker 3: Let's let's celebrate that.
Speaker 1: Well, you guys did well. I want to know during your break because I think, wow, how many years was y'all's hiatus?
Speaker 3: Like eight years?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Like ten tennis years? Eight ten years?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what did you want to do with your time in between? Did you want to you know, find a completely different career?
Speaker 5: I did a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 6: So I kind of toiled around with songwriting and production for a little bit, had like like a bunch of almost chances that you know, felt like at the time, oh, this is you know, I'm turning the corner.
Speaker 5: I'm not in the boy bank guy that this is gonna pop off and I'll be you know, and then just never materialized.
Speaker 6: I started a family, you know, I went back to college, I finished my degree. I got a degree in graphic design. I did like normal stuff, I really did, and and I you know, I enjoyed it, like and but it was like right as I was I graduated college and I was like, you know.
Speaker 5: What, I don't know if the music business is what I want to do anymore.
Speaker 6: I started looking for real jobs, and uh, and like right before I was going to graduate, we started talking about getting back together.
Speaker 5: I agreed to do it, and I never looked back. I still have never.
Speaker 6: Had like a real job in my life because during you know, the band just kind of came back around at the right time. And truthfully, that's what's best for like my family situation. I you know, like it's at this point in my life, it's the best part time job in the world. I'm able to like be a soccer coach and another parent in the pickup line during the week and then on the weekends, I go jump around and after fool on stage for three days and I come home and like it's like nothing ever happened, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Like Hillary Duff says, it's the best of both worlds.
Speaker 3: Oh man, yeah, you said that. We'll just cut that out to you. No, no, no, We're gonna highlight keep.
Speaker 1: It, just like you just showed your jeriats. Sorry, I was on the road during Anamon town.
Speaker 2: And you were so confident too, You're like clear, just throat, just like Hillary Death said.
Speaker 1: Well, hire some of that because we just did an episode of How I Met Your Father. That's out right now, go check it out on Hulu. And so she's been on my mind. Okay, so that was Miley Cyrus. Well, you guys were reunited twenty thirteen, have been together ever since. Feels like you're stronger than ever. I love watching y'all's relationship. Y'all do have this amazing brotherhood. Yeah, you know where you can give each other ship.
Speaker 3: You know, you could, you can laugh, cry, whatever it is.
Speaker 1: Do you think that y'all have become closer just in the in the recent years because of this tour?
Speaker 5: Oh easy, easily. Yes. Twenty years ago was such like a roller coaster ride and happened so fast. I don't even remember a lot of it.
Speaker 6: But because of the way that you know, we had that time away, not only did it make us appreciate what the music business is and means to us. We appreciate, you know, their relationships. We have a lot more and there's like we're older, so there's no drama. There is like it's we can have like adult conversations and know by the end of it, like it's not going to come to like a fistfight or something. It's just like, you know, it's we're adults now. We're not worried about some of that stuff. We're really just there trying to have fun. If it was drama, I would have quit a long time ago. I wouldn't even have been I wouldn't be here talking to you because I would have quit.
Speaker 1: What's the craziest thing that's happened on the road so far on this tour?
Speaker 5: Oh man, let's see us.
Speaker 6: So there was one time we were backstage at a show and Michael Turchin fell into like some sort of like drainage.
Speaker 2: So weird you said that because I dreamt about that last night. Yes, I was back there in my dream last night.
Speaker 1: You just got this was one of the funniest things I'd ever been a part of. So wait, Turkey, you tell the story because you were there.
Speaker 3: We were at a show at like a rodeo. I don't know where where.
Speaker 5: Were we a state It was a state fair.
Speaker 3: There's a race raised big mud like.
Speaker 2: It was like a yeah, whatever, it's like. So we're backstags. It was like all mud everywhere and there was no lights back states.
Speaker 3: It's all in front of stags. And there was a big, giant like puddle mud.
Speaker 6: It was like an abyss and they didn't put any but it just looked.
Speaker 5: Like a puddle.
Speaker 3: It was like a regular puddle.
Speaker 2: And it was no lights at back, so I couldn't see the puddle, and they forgot to put like cones around it. So then I was walking to stays.
Speaker 3: On his phone on my phone. It was on my phone. Okay, that's whatever Lance is trying to get me on my phone. That's the reason I said. Fall into an abyss in the middle of the night and I'm walking to stage, and all of a sudden, I just noticed that I'm submerged under black like water. I I was walking and all of a sudden, I'm completely underwater. I couldn't imagine what that feeling like.
Speaker 2: Walking like to the store, and all of a sudden you're underwater and you're like, what did I die?
Speaker 3: Like, am I in hell? What is happening? And then I like fly out of the water and I crawled back onto.
Speaker 2: Land and I had a fit and the security guard is just laughing but laughing his butt off, and I'm having a fit through my phone and I'm like cursing up.
Speaker 1: Linda and I are in the dressing room. He just the door. It's like a movie because the door kicks open. He has covered head to toe and mud and just drenched and he's like what God, like just going crazy.
Speaker 3: But I could laugh about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you laughed about it.
Speaker 6: I mean you pretty much went the whole rest of the show with like a towel.
Speaker 5: And everything was, oh my, your borderline naked the rest of the show.
Speaker 3: Which he's fine with ultimately.
Speaker 5: Like in terms of craziness, it's just like it's these little things. They're funny.
Speaker 6: It like, uh, you know, there was a time where Jacob insulted, like insulted the owner of like a very very well known restaurant to his face because he was confused about the name of the place. He thought it was something different. I don't want to say it because I don't want to react with it. But like Jacob like literally to the.
Speaker 5: Guy, to the guy's face, that the restaurant is named after.
Speaker 6: He like insulted everything about that that restaurant, and then afterwards all of us in the.
Speaker 5: Room were like, no, don't what are you doing?
Speaker 6: Like he had no clue, And afterwards when he left, we're like, dude, what the what the hell do you just do?
Speaker 5: And he was like, I thought it was named like it was really bad.
Speaker 6: It'd be like it'd be like going to like like you know, Grandpa McDonald's and like completely eviscerating the big map directly to Grandpa McDonald's because you thought.
Speaker 5: It was named like McCormick's or something. It was just like that.
Speaker 6: It was bad a lot, a lot, I know, but you know what I mean, It's like a lot of this stuff is like the craziness is more about like the fun that we have.
Speaker 5: It's like all these little things.
Speaker 1: All right, So no one wants You know, now, if you could go back and we're giving the same opportunity again, would you say yes? Would you do something differently?
Speaker 6: I would say yes, And what I would do differently is I would make sure that I experienced everything the first time, like to the fullest. I spent so much like I spend so much time like again, not liking people, not wanting to be around people.
Speaker 5: Just wanting my own space. That like when I was in.
Speaker 6: Memphis, I didn't seek out the best barbecue spot. When I was in you know, Canon, I didn't I didn't go to get poutine or whatever it was.
Speaker 5: And this was twenty years ago. I've done some of this stuff as I got older.
Speaker 6: There's so many places that we went twenty years ago that I'll probably never go back to.
Speaker 5: And in my.
Speaker 6: Youth, I could, I didn't have the foresight to realize that, like you got to do this, like this is the thing to do.
Speaker 5: So we do that now. But twenty years ago, I definitely, you know, I.
Speaker 6: Had so much like spaghetti bullying knees in my in my hotel room room service, rather than going to find something awesome that's local.
Speaker 5: And that's just being young and stupid.
Speaker 1: Well it's hard to tell young people to live in the moment, for sure. And yeah, when you go through something like you you did, you you didn't have any time off, like I know what it's like, and you all when you did have an hour or two off. All you did was want to go to your hotel room in order room service. You know, you didn't have energy to go out and sight see all these places with some people.
Speaker 2: For their own mental health, you know, how to remove yourself, so you have a moment to decomp.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because when you do go see these sites, then you have that added element again of fans and taking pictures, and you know, it's it's not the normal tourist experience. You know, you have to always have that those people just looking at you. So yeah, if you if you do a little anxiety, it's it's not the best business to be in ten years from now, Dan, where we're going to see you?
Speaker 3: What are you going to be doing.
Speaker 5: Ten years?
Speaker 3: Are you a psychic?
Speaker 6: Ten years from now, I will be like pacing around the sidelines of some soccer field.
Speaker 5: I'm sure of it.
Speaker 6: I've actually like so yeah, I mentioned this before, but I'm a co owner of a soccer facility here in Arizona called Next Level Soccer.
Speaker 5: Next Next Level Soccer.
Speaker 6: I am pretty positive that you know, we're the only soccer club with an owner. Uh that's an international pop superstar, that's me. I'm you know, I adopted anybody else, but I I've actually I've got like such an appreciation, uh and love for mentoring and inspiring these young kids. I spend time coaching kids all the way up from like three to you know, fifteen.
Speaker 5: Years old, and I love it. I spent so much time. And you'll see this as your kids start playing baseball or whatever they play. There's so many coaches who are like just horrible examples. Oh you're like, it's more about them than it is about the kids.
Speaker 1: And those are the majority of my coaches growing up for sure.
Speaker 5: And I, you know, it tainted your experience. It took the joy away from some of those kids.
Speaker 6: So I try to be a bridge that's just there to like make sure they're having fun, make it a positive experience, even whether it's like whether you're a talented player or or not, Like you should still not leave that experience like frustrated by what your coach does. So long story short, it's going really well. And that's probably what I'll be doing because I spend a lot of time doing that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that's great. Now we have some fans.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, let's get to some fan questions before you let you go, Okay, We've had a lot of people wanting to ask you questions dance, so we.
Speaker 5: Just the best about that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very true, very want Yeah, because like I said, you're we've almost finished our first group. It might be otown, but yes, you everyone's really been wanting you to be on the show.
Speaker 3: So this first question is from Minnie Lahani.
Speaker 2: If you could have any other boy band song as an Otown song, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Mmm?
Speaker 5: That's a that's a.
Speaker 1: Good question because I always say nothing all or nothing was just WHOA, I ain't seriously, I'm like, I was so jealous of that song. I wanted it so badly. It's so beautiful.
Speaker 6: We uh we you feel lucky to have that song, so, you know, very lucky me personally, I was able to like that was where I was able to kind.
Speaker 3: Of step out in a little bit.
Speaker 6: So wow. Okay, So if we if I'm gonna I'm gonna try to keep strictly to the question and take some of the more urban boy bands out of the equation, some of the R and B boy bands, because I would pick all of them. I was picked a voice the Men's song. I would pick that kind of stuff I would probably pick makes me ill.
Speaker 1: By inside No way, did you know that's my favorite song?
Speaker 5: I did not. I had no clue.
Speaker 3: Are you that is my favorite song we've ever done?
Speaker 6: Uh again, because like it was either that one or I also really liked girlfriend at the time too, just because they were kind of like more in the line of like the direction I wanted to go with our band, and we just never got to the point where we could do that, but those were kind of like that was the kind direction I wanted our band to go.
Speaker 1: So yeah, crazy, I mean, I'd love that you chose that song because we never released that as a single. It's very obscure, but I just love and it's the song that all the dudes liked. Like if the dudes liked him sing that was their song, they knew every word to it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: I heard a rumor back in the day, so when we I heard a rumor that that song possibly could have been ours.
Speaker 5: Is that true?
Speaker 6: I don't know if you could confirm a Jani this because we were we said we had a meeting with some with uh. I forget who it was, and I remember at the time they pitched it. I have this I have this cumungous song by Shakespeare. It's like, it's all set for you. It's all set for you, guys. All you gotta do is sign on the dotted line. And then we didn't sign with them, and it ended up, you know, going to you guys. So I remember thinking like, oh wow, when I saw that come out, I remember putting in my head like that could have been our song.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Shakespeare and you know who else wrote that, right.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say one of the girls from Candy Birr.
Speaker 1: Candy Birds, Yeah, yeah, and she wrote you know tail sees no scrubs, which is.
Speaker 3: Kind of like in the same kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean it's I have to I'm gonna text her and see if we were not the first choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Candy Candy.
Speaker 6: I mean if if given the choice, they would have easily picked in sank Over Town at the time, but we would have had to scoop it up before you guys even knew it.
Speaker 1: I love that sound. When I've heard the dem I'm like this, I love it. I love it and not everyone was jumping for joy for that. Even the record labels like it's an album filler.
Speaker 3: We're like, guys, this is so good.
Speaker 1: And then I liked it even more when we did it on tour because it was just a fun one to do on tour. We were like playing doctors and all.
Speaker 3: This type of thuff.
Speaker 1: It was stupid, but I loved performing that one.
Speaker 3: I have another one, I sure do from Wendeln is Oton working on a new album? Do we have a new album on the works.
Speaker 5: No, I hate to disappoint at least I think I know.
Speaker 6: Sorry at this point in our career, as bad as you say, like the album albums is not going to be in the cards maybe singles moving forward.
Speaker 1: It is a single market.
Speaker 5: It's a single market really, the album.
Speaker 6: The album, we don't get enough out of it, you know, in terms of what we do. We're not making money off it being played on the radio. And that's nor is that our goal recently or well?
Speaker 1: You have to have the fans what they want and they want to hear the hits, you know, with your legacy if it is hard when you because I remember when we did our stadium tour, we we played a lot of our songs from the Celebrity album on that tour before that album was even out, and every time you would do a song that no one heard it was, it wasn't fun because they're just sits, right. They can't enjoy because they don't know the words and they're listening to like, oh, I've never heard this before. So it just is not fun on tour to do new songs because they're just not you know, that's not what they.
Speaker 3: Want, y, Yeah, you can't work with it. Yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 6: And it could be the it could be the best song in the world too, but if it does, like, not every song you record translates live like we for on the most recent album, I wrote a song which was I love It's called empty Space, and it's like when you put it on in the car, it's a type of song you could listen to over and over, but it never translated.
Speaker 5: Live one because people don't not enough people know it. But too it's just.
Speaker 6: Like there was just something about it that just never really clicked with the audience. And so like ultimately, yeah, like very rarely do we go to shows and we and we can put in one of our album cuts. People want to hear the hits, even though it gets old us, they want to hear and they want to hear it. They want to hear it how they remember it. They don't want to hear like O Town. They want to hear All or Nothing remixed.
Speaker 5: They want to hear.
Speaker 1: A remix and they're like, no, that is not what I want.
Speaker 2: It's actually just came out with two Point, which I like, which is great. It's just their new voices singing on tour.
Speaker 1: Is there which song is the best opening song? And which is the best closing song? And does it change?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 6: Well, we've tried a bunch of them. First of all, All or Nothing. We kind of feel like have to close the show. It's the only way we it's the only way we can do it. What's kind of become the default opener song is Liquid Dreams, not because it's the best, but because we like to get it out of the way.
Speaker 3: That's amazing, so we like to kind.
Speaker 5: Of get get it over with.
Speaker 6: But we've tried a couple other ones, but ultimately, like nothing really fits as well opening the show as Liquid dream Yeah, it feels weird doing that song in the middle of the show for some reason, because most it's it's very boy bandy, very kind of cheesy, and so to kind of like go from a bunch of stuff that maybe isn't that to kind of like drop it in.
Speaker 5: The middle, just always felt weird and hit get it out of the way.
Speaker 1: And this is one of your biggest hits too, so it kind of like, you know, you show the like, yep, this is us. So I was gonna ask what is your least favorite song to perform and I'm assuming it's Liquid Dreams now, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's Liquid Dreams. Yeah, And I think that's pretty much across the board, like none of us, like, I.
Speaker 1: Feel like everyone's kind of said, but it's so I mean, it's just one of those songs also that people love to talk about because it was one of the very first internet sex songs there and a time that was very innocent.
Speaker 3: That people might not have known.
Speaker 1: You know what Liquid Dreams were, you guys were and these wet dreams out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we're yeah, we were very risky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were ahead of your time, really was.
Speaker 5: We should have just called it nocturnal emissions straight to the.
Speaker 3: Same bunch. Yeah, I know, no, all right, And we have one more question from the fans from Elmo three nine zero seven. What did you think of the guys when you first met them, did you did you when you first his first impressions.
Speaker 6: After a few homes, I actually I've I felt very out of place for most of them, not only when I first met them, when we went to Orlando to try out for making the band.
Speaker 5: Like again, I'm from Ohio.
Speaker 6: It's like all these other guys were, you know, the guys ended up making the band were from New York or California, which is just like it was so different than what than.
Speaker 1: What I knew more like experience, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and so I just felt so out of place.
Speaker 6: And honestly that kind of like when I got in the band, I felt out of place for probably the first year.
Speaker 5: There was all these like.
Speaker 6: Little inside jokes and little like like cool things that they did that I just wasn't cool enough to kind of like grasp onto. Yet I was still very Ohio, you know, Like you know, in Ohio, Mexican food is very different than what Mexican food tastes like in California, you.
Speaker 5: Know, and like how can you really be cool if you don't know what real Mexican food tastes and you know, so yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Mean it took me a long time, but I definitely. I thought they were so weird. I thought they were like weirdo California guys. You know just like I thought I thought, Yeah, I definitely didn't fit in all.
Speaker 1: Right, before I let you go, we need to know what you're binging right now, what you have stuck in your head? So what television show do we need to be watching and binging right now?
Speaker 5: Do you? I'm what do you?
Speaker 6: Guys honestly have time to binge shows when you have kids at night?
Speaker 1: Yes, we get in bed and we like, right now, we're we're binging Manifest, which we watched years ago, but then Netflix just brought it back, so we started it over from season one. So every night he always falls asleep first, but he'll get through maybe one episode and then I'll end up watching three episodes and then I fall asleep. So this that's our binge time.
Speaker 5: But then do you but then you have to like watch those two episodes again?
Speaker 2: Yeah kind of no, because this show that we're binging, I'm only half watching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I give him a show that he can.
Speaker 2: Watch when I fall asleep, So it's like I'm halfway from what's.
Speaker 1: The other one that you I watched? Without you kind of there's so many Yeah, oh sbu. I've watched every single episode of SB every single those with you, and we still have more seasons now to catch up.
Speaker 5: Boks.
Speaker 3: We had caught up during the pandemic.
Speaker 5: Wow, it's good. Uh yeah. My wife and I we don't really watch we don't have our own shows. Everything is this, Everything is the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But at this point the time my kids go to bed, I'm I'm kind of wiped out. So no, but we've been kind of as a family, we've been working our way.
Speaker 5: My kids are just starting to get into like some of the Marvel stuff.
Speaker 6: So like we you know, we went back through this is a Marvel we started, we went through the Star Wars stuff together as a family, and then we did we did the Pirates of the Caribbean and now now we're in the Spider Man kind of thing and the kids kind of are getting into it.
Speaker 5: But I don't think that.
Speaker 6: Counts as what you're going for with binging, because.
Speaker 5: You know, these are these are some of these things, they're like thirty years old.
Speaker 3: It counts, It totally counts. Okay, what about music? Is there what should we be listening? Is there a song or an artist that you're currently it could be old school.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, what am I binging right now again?
Speaker 5: I'm so lame?
Speaker 6: Uh all I I listened to I listened to sports podcasts and very and very little music.
Speaker 5: Yep, yeah told you.
Speaker 6: I mean it's like for a musician, I am the least musician and musician of all times.
Speaker 5: You're just around like music. I don't. I don't really listen that much music. I've never had an alcoholic drink in my life.
Speaker 6: I've never smoked any.
Speaker 5: Sort of legal substance yep.
Speaker 6: And I don't like people like all of these things, like do not like why are you even talking to you? Why we're just honored your here when you when you guys reach out to me like, I hope they know what they're getting into.
Speaker 5: I am not fun.
Speaker 1: Well, I will have to disagree. You are very fun. I love your personality and you're I mean, you're great. You're an amazing artist, You're an incredible man and an incredible father, and it's just it's been great getting to know you these last few years because you are you're You're a great guy, and we wish everything good for you in the future. Whatever you take your career and soccer career. We will be watching and will definitely be coming out and seeing you on the Pop two thousand tour a lot. Is there anything you would like to tell your lovely fans listening right now?
Speaker 6: First of all, Lance Michael, thank you. You guys are awesome and that was very nice. Just uh, you know, we always appreciate the love and we appreciate them just sticking with us, uh through.
Speaker 5: All this time. As we get older and grayer, we will continue to be out there. And even though it's harder and harder for me to get away, I still enjoy every single time I go jump out on stage and get to perform for them.
Speaker 3: So you can tell for sure.
Speaker 1: Wait, do y'all haven't y'all have a name or what townies?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We got town townies? Are happy?
Speaker 3: All right, Dan?
Speaker 1: It was lovely, lovely catching up with you and enjoy the rest of your day. Hopefully you have a soccer game you get to go help coach at.
Speaker 5: I got a soccer practice to run tonight.
Speaker 1: All right, Get my love to the family, Yes, all right, send you all right, buddy, Any guys, thank you? Dan is so sweet, I know I always say it every single everyone's so, that's so nice.
Speaker 3: The whole group is.
Speaker 1: So can we get an asshole boy band member?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: iHeart, come on, we need someone that's just difficult because they're all just too nice.
Speaker 2: Well, don't look at me, don't look at me. I could interview you at any point. I knew you're about to say any point.
Speaker 3: Because I'll answer a question.
Speaker 1: Ask a question now, Okay, why are you so open that up?
Speaker 3: Why are you the worst boy band? Oh my gosh? Why?
Speaker 1: Well, that's all the show I have for you today.
Speaker 3: So uh wow, all right?
Speaker 1: Is there anything you would you like to say anything to the Do we have named people?
Speaker 3: Do we have fans of the show?
Speaker 2: Do we have named people like our children's what Alexander and Violet Varsa tippers? Frosty frost Frosty's are Frosty's. Yeah, little Frosty's.
Speaker 1: They're a little frost I love that Tippers, A little tipper. We're gonna work shop. Why don't you d m us instagram our TikTok, which is blowing up right now. So dm us there, tell us what you want us to call you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frosty's tippers, not cow tippers.
Speaker 1: I don't know the frosty frosty Frosty's.
Speaker 3: I know a little extra frosting we got. They can be a little give a little snowflakes. They can be little cupcakes. Okay, this is going down fast, all.
Speaker 1: Right, little cupcakes, that's all the show I have for you. Be good to each other, don't drink and drive out there. Be good to those animals because they will be good to you. They'll be good to you anyway. But we'll see you next time. I'll frost tips. But until then,