Speaker 1: An app to warn you about the next earthquake. I'm Rich Demiro. This is rich on Tech Daily. This app is sort of the Holy Grail of notifications, a sixty second heads up when the next big earthquake would hit. This is something that's actually a reality right now. It's just that it's in beta and not many people have access. But I'm speaking with the founder of Early Warning Labs. They created the app along with USGS, Josh Basham. Thanks so much for joining me. Yeah, thanks for having me, Rich, So tell me about the app. What's it called?
Speaker 2: First off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, app's called Quake Alert.
Speaker 2: So quake alert and what does it do?
Speaker 4: So at its core, right, just as you said, it can give you upwards of sixty seconds of warning best case scenario for an incoming earthquake. And it's not prediction, right, this is early detection. So think just like you you see lightning right before you hear the thunder the same concept. We're detecting the sound waves or the earthquake and being able to send an alert ahead of it.
Speaker 2: So you're detecting sound waves, not actual shaking. How do you do that?
Speaker 4: So through our partners, right, So, the USGS and all the fantastic universities that are involved, like Caltech, Berkeley, University Washington, and University Warrion. They have almost nine hundred sensors on the West coast which are listening twenty four to seven right for these seismic waves from the earthquake. And the good news is an earthquake creates two different types of seismic waves, pea waves and S waves.
Speaker 3: Pea waves the primary waves.
Speaker 4: They travel a little bit faster than the S waves, and that's good for us because we can detect those pea waves and those pea waves don't really cause damage. I like to kind of talk about how pets, right, people talk about their pets somehow being able to detect an earthquake before it starts shaking. Well, they're actually hearing those pea waves really, so in its essence, that's really what we're doing. Right. We have about nine hundred ish sensors out there that are detecting these pea waves real time and sending that data at the sound of light, at the speed a light rather back to the USGS, and they send that data to us, right, and we're distributing that out at the speed of light, So we're out running.
Speaker 1: The earthquake, that data comes into some sort of center that you have, and then it's ideally pushed out to this app that people have on their phones exactly, So tell me where you are right now with this system?
Speaker 2: Can anyone get this?
Speaker 4: So the you know, Unfortunately, the mobile application, we're still in the sort of the beta phase right testing it with the USGS and a core group of testers, right, university folks and city and local entities. And the hopes are that this you know, this can be released hopefully towards the end of the year. That's what we're pushing really hard for.
Speaker 1: So right now it's an app that certain people have access to, obviously a beta version, but eventually this would be something in the app store that I would literally just download and now I have a heads up.
Speaker 3: Free to everybody in California. Absolutely, that's goal.
Speaker 2: So if it's free, how is this funded?
Speaker 3: Right? Great question?
Speaker 4: So Early Warning Labs really has two different types of offerings. One is our consumer solution, and myself, coming from a background of emergency management, I saw the value of being able to protect these folks. Right. We can prevent nearly half the death and half the injury if we can just get the alert to people. So I've always wanted that to be free, right. So that's the half of the business. The other half is our commercial integration, especially automate response for big entities.
Speaker 3: So like La Metro.
Speaker 4: We've worked for the last two years with them where we will actually play the alert in their operations center and we will trigger the slowdown of all one hundred trains in LA and we're.
Speaker 3: Rolling out at the leading hospitals.
Speaker 4: Here. We have a bunch of high rise commercial buildings and condo buildings where we take the elevators closest floor and open the doors. Some say in the next big earthquake that twenty thousand people are going to be stuck in elevators. Wow, And if a building implements our solution, that problem solved. Nobody's stuck in that alert.
Speaker 2: They have that sixty seconds. You don't step in exactly, all right.
Speaker 1: Tell me how the alert works, what does the alert contain, and can you you can play me a little sample.
Speaker 3: Here's a test.
Speaker 2: Earthquake extreme shaking.
Speaker 4: So when alert comes in, you heard the audio, we say how bad the shaking is going to be. And also the user can see how much time they have, so it literally counts down to zero. And we've had a couple big earthquakes here in LA in the last couple of months, and you can actually sit and watch it count to zero, and as soon as it hits zero, within a second or two, it starts shaking and it's it's it's pretty crazy to see it, see it actually working well.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what do you do in that time? What do you do when you have a heads up for an earthquake?
Speaker 4: Most important thing, you know, if you're inside a building or an office, or your house or condo, whatever, you need to drop cover and hold on. That is just the best thing that you can do. You need to find a sturdy piece of furniture, get friends, family, kids, whatever with you, and you get under that furniture and you hold on until the shaking stops.
Speaker 3: The most important thing you can do.
Speaker 4: There's certain things you should do if you're outside right moved to a clear area away from building's power line and things like that that can fall on you. If you're in a moving car, you want to pull over and you want to stop free of hazards, free of debris. You know, you don't want to stop underneath an old overpass, right, probably not a good idea.
Speaker 3: You want to stop in an opening.
Speaker 1: In a safe spot, so I always that's really I mean, I've heard the thing where you get underneath a desk or a table or something, but I would imagine in my mind it was always safer to be out in the open somewhere.
Speaker 2: So don't try to run out of your building.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, in every big earthquake, people get killed all the time by falling debris. That's probably the worst thing you can do, you know. And there's an asterisk to that though too. There's certain buildings that just that aren't safe. I can possibly collapse, and we're really worried about schools that are out there. And doctor Lucy Jones is doing a really good job back which she was collaborating with the City of la and now with their foundation to work and identify those buildings right that are the biggest hazard to try to get them fixed before the big earthquake happens. Because there's no good answer, right, if you're in a building that's going to collapse, you know, do you run outside? Do you stay inside to get underneath the sturdy piece of furniture where we can first responders, we can actually come and find you in a survivable space. It's tricky, but most modern buildings, the best thing you can do is drop cover and hold on.
Speaker 1: So what I'm hearing is that you have the technology in place, You've got the app up and running.
Speaker 2: It's working.
Speaker 1: It worked in the past, couple of earthquakes here, So why doesn't everyone have access to this today?
Speaker 3: Good question.
Speaker 4: So the USGS, KLOS and the university partners are working really hard to finish this public education piece. That's the first hurdle, right, we need to make sure people understand the challenges of earthquake early warning, the benefits and limitations very important, and most importantly, what to do when they get an earthquake early warning. The second piece is there are some technical limitations.
Speaker 3: Right. We can't be doing like Amber alert type warning. It's too slow. Texts is too slow.
Speaker 4: So we have to use the push notification service, so through an app, right, a push notification that pops up on your screen THEIRS. Unfortunately it's fast enough now, but once we get to hundreds of thousands of people, it starts to slow down, right, And that isn't a published delay, it's just not publicly available by Apple and the Android folks. So we have to really methodically kind of roll this out towards the end of the year, bring on as many people as we can.
Speaker 3: And do some performance testing to see where it slows down.
Speaker 4: Then work with the carriers and work with Apple and the other handset folks to figure out how we can fix that.
Speaker 1: So a company like Uber that's sending out a lot of notifications, are they not all at once? Like nobody has done a half a million, a million, three million, five million at once?
Speaker 2: Is that what the problem is?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: So you don't really know. If it gets to the phone late, it's worthless.
Speaker 3: Yep, exactly, it's worthless. You know.
Speaker 4: The last thing we want to do is have someone get the push notification after the shaking stopped, right, because then they're going to start losing losing trust right in the earthquake early warning system. So through ultiple different channels, right, we're we're focusing now on playing these alerts and commercial buildings right over the fire alarm system, the voice evacuation system. Any building over ten stories has to have that in Los Angeles for that matter, So we can play these alerts inside those buildings and we can actually guarantee delivery, right, We can guarantee that they're going to get it within just a few seconds and before the shaking starts.
Speaker 1: Because you've got the infrastructure in place that you built to do that. But these are consumer devices, so a lot of people listening to this are immediately going to run into their app store or Google Play and search for earthquake warning. Ye tell me about the apps that they will find. Are those legit? Do those work?
Speaker 2: Are they?
Speaker 1: I haven't searched for that, but I assume they're in there. So what are those doing? And should you stay away from those?
Speaker 4: So Quick Alert it's Quick Alert Space II to little eyes. We made it a little bit harder to find because you know, we can't activate the early warning for everybody, but they can actually download it. They can enter their email and they I should be on our wait list so they can get on a list of early access. Then we're able to bring on tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands more users. They'll be the first ones to get that invitation.
Speaker 3: So you can do that.
Speaker 4: There's also lots of other great, you know, earthquake apps out there, but it's just a's after the fact, it's not before the shaking, so our app is the only one that actually provides that. And then we were able to do that through our partnership with the USGS.
Speaker 1: How excited and are you for this technology to be in the hands of everyday people?
Speaker 3: Oh? I'm pumped them. This is my passion.
Speaker 4: For over seven years, I was a volunteer instructor for FEMA in the Citizen Courts, teaching a community Emergency Response training curriculum. And you know, one of the slides that I taught was where do we look for bodies in an earthquake? Right? What's the best thing you can do to survive in an earthquake? And this was always after the shakings happened, so people really can't do anything, you know, they're stuck in a dangerous spot. Knowing that now we can get an early warning, it's tremendous because we can get people in a safe spot which can prevent them from you know, nearly half the injuries in a big earthquake, and that's huge, that's huge for first responders. That's half the work for first responders, that's half the hospitals, that half the resources needed at hospitals.
Speaker 3: Half of the nine one one calls.
Speaker 4: Right, that's gonna make response and recovery so much better. So I'm I couldn't be more any more excited about this than I am.
Speaker 3: It's it's awesome, all right.
Speaker 2: Josh, thanks so much for joining me. Josh Basham from Early Warning Labs. Tell people the website to go.
Speaker 4: To, Yeah, early Warning Labs dot com, and then they can click on the top for the mobile app and they can sign up there too.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks for joining me, and as always, thanks for listening to the podcast. You can find links to everything I talk about here on my website.
Speaker 2: Rich on tech dot tv, I'm Rich Niro. I'll talk to you real soon.