Speaker 1: This is the most traumatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. If we sound just a little bit under the weather today, well we'll explain why in just a minute. It has to do with where we just were, and that was Napa Baby, we were in Napa Valley, but for a very very beautiful reason. We were at the wedding of Colton Underwood. Coulton and Jordan got married this weekend in Napa Valley. We were honored to be there to support them and celebrate and dance.
Speaker 2: Baby, you danced so much, so much. That's one thing I love about you. I don't care if you're a bad dancer, but you got to dance at a wedding, and I can't be with someone who doesn't dance, and you do. By the way, I wasn't saying you're a bad dancer.
Speaker 1: Oh you can.
Speaker 2: You can tell us say that you're a good dancer. You actually in the past, his daughter Taylor, who was a dancer in school. Sometimes for projects she would have to like choreograph and rehearse, and Chris would rehearse with Taylor and you crushed it. You can memorize your routine.
Speaker 1: Dance like nobody's watching. Actually I dance like everybody's watching. Bring it on. And it was a phenomenal wedding. We were really really honored to be there just to celebrate Colton and his love with Jordan, who we had never met.
Speaker 2: I think one of my favorite parts of the wedding was feeling like we got to see this window into Colton and Jordan's relationship. We'd heard such great things about Jordan, but to be able to hear their vows, to see friends and family give toasts about them, we learned a lot more. And that's one thing I love about going to a wedding, especially when, like the toasts are really heartfelt and emotional, and you know you can't go to inside jokey with a toast because then you lose your crowd.
Speaker 1: That's a tip one guy did. We'll explain later.
Speaker 3: No we won't rat him out, No, he did his best.
Speaker 2: But when you can share a little bit, it makes the guests feel like, Okay, I know them better now.
Speaker 3: And I walked away from the weekend feeling that way.
Speaker 1: It was important for me to be there to support Coulton. This is something a journey I hate to say from the show, this journey that he and I had been on and gotten to know each other and become friends obviously when he was the Bachelor, and then so much has been talked about made of everything that happened subsequently and his coming out. I'll never forget, you know, him taking me to breakfast and us sitting down, him coming out to me, going through this journey with him which was not perfect and incredibly painful and difficult for him, difficult for a lot of people, and to watch him grow and own who he was and is, and then to find joy and love and to be embraced by his family and friends. When he asked us to be there, it was important for me to be there and support him and show him that love and that I have been on this full circle journey with him and it's amazing that he got to this point where he is.
Speaker 2: I was very touched to have been invited, especially when I found out we were the only ones from Bachelor Nation there. What really made my heart happy over the weekend was and I was surprised to how many people came up to You just guessed at the wedding or you know, friends and family and talked about like the season. You know, they kind of went back to Colton's season on the show, and what several people said was, well, Colton always talked about how you Chris were there for him during that season when nobody else was, and that is your partner. Just made me so happy to hear because you know, like anybody you love in your life, when when you hear other people talk them up, it makes you feel good. And so everybody kept saying that to you, and I don't think I really realized that the depth of how much that was felt that they said you were the one, like through the fence jumping all that. Colton said, well, Chris was there for me when maybe producers or other people weren't.
Speaker 1: I didn't talk about this with you. I was a little nervous entering that arena, going to the wedding. Yeah. So we got to NAPA and the first night, Friday night, there was this kind of get together at the Carneros spawn resort where we were.
Speaker 3: Yes, a welcome party. Carnerosen beautiful property and.
Speaker 1: So everybody was kind of together at this resort. They had the entire resort in lockdown. It was wonderful that we had the whole place to ourselves, and so they had this kind of yard barbecue festival thing and wine and drinks and all that little get together. I was a little nervous when I walked in. I wasn't sure how I would be accepted. I was a little worried that people might have a negative connotation associated with me and the show and Coulton's time on the show, and that was a very difficult part of his life, and I thought, am I an example of that? And I was a little worried that people would be a little stand offish or maybe even make some snide com instead, as you just said, it was the opposite. And we walked in and we got really lucky because we walked in and Colton and Jordan happened to be standing right there.
Speaker 3: Well, I think they were greeting everyone.
Speaker 1: Well, they've been walking around, I saw, and then when we walked in, they just kind of walked up and Colton saw us, and I just I saw the look on his face and he kind of melted and got emotional that we were there, and he just gave me a huge hug, and he looked fantastic, as he always does, ridiculously handsome and fit, and he immediately grabbed his fiance Jordan and brought Jordan over. Because I had never met Jordan. I've heard so much about him, and Colton's talked about him, but until you meet him, and he is just this warm, charismatic, just loving, caring person. And we'll talk more about him. But it was fantastic, and he just gave me a big hug, and I could tell this is going to be a great event.
Speaker 2: It's funny you say that, because a little part of me was wondering about that too. I think it's always weird for anybody when you don't know anyone else at a wedding. I mean, we didn't know anybody.
Speaker 1: Nobody we knew.
Speaker 2: We had met Colton's mom once years ago, Lovely Donna, big shout out. She and I did take a shot together with his uncle as will. I love her, but we'd met her once, you know. I think she and I follow each other on Instagram, but we hadn't. We didn't know anybody else, but I mean everyone was so warm and so loving. Colton's whole family is from Illinois, so am I. So you know, Midwest is the best. Connecting with the people was.
Speaker 3: A lot of Chicago energy.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I was a little I didn't know that either because mostly because I didn't know Jordan's whole crowd and you know how they might feel about the show and its whole energy.
Speaker 3: But everybody was so excited to meet you.
Speaker 2: I have to applaud everybody was so excited to meet you.
Speaker 3: I just had the best things.
Speaker 2: Jordan was like, Colton raves about you guys, and I'm so happy to meet you.
Speaker 3: So everybody was really laid the groundwork.
Speaker 1: As you said, Colton definitely laid the groundwork of the way he has spoken about me to all his family. So it was just open arms. And then there was Jordan's friends, who again very rare that Elsie and I walk into a wedding, or you'll even go to a wedding where you know nobody. We knew the groom, one of the grooms, we didn't even know the other groom, but we showed up to support him, and quickly we realized that Jordan is a collector of people. He has a fierce loyal group of friends. He's one of those people that everybody at the wedding feels like they are Jordan's best friend and have known him the best and the longest. And I love that about people, when you meet humans like that. And so everybody we talked to, and predominantly, probably the majority of people just knew Jordan and Colton's family traveled in and all that, but I think Jordan probably had more people at the wedding, and they all just loved and adored him.
Speaker 2: Every single person was like, I'm Jordan's friend from high school. I owned him for ten years, I was his roommate, I lived with him in college. And that's such a reflection of someone when they have long friendships in their lives, like you said, when they are just somebody who you can tell that's a good person because people stick with them.
Speaker 1: We also quickly realized he is the chandler being of this relationship. Nobody really knows what he does for a living. It was great.
Speaker 2: A trans political monster, No, I think what we're defining it as. I actually asked a few people and we were all kind of lovingly laughing and saying, it's hard to describe. I would say political strategist, yes, because there was even a joke about that by the officiant in the ceremony.
Speaker 1: Did not officiate this winning I got asked that by a lot of people. I did not.
Speaker 3: Are you officiating?
Speaker 1: Yes? And when I was there like, oh, you're officiating, and I did not. Coulton just wanted us to be there to enjoy, which I really respected. I would have totally stood before them. But they had a friend, kind of a mutual friend of Jordan's and Coulton's who did the ceremony, and it was he did a phenomenal job.
Speaker 2: Yes, And he came up to you afterwards. I know you guys had this cute conversation. He was so sweet, but I loved the one of his opening lines was he was so honored to be asked to officiate. And again going back to the political Stris had a strategist thing, he said, because Jordan could have asked Barack Obama and Colton.
Speaker 3: Could have asked Chris Harrison. So it was a funny opening line.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, the only time that I'll ever be in the same sentence with Barack Obama was at Colton and Jordan's wedding.
Speaker 3: Are you not running for president?
Speaker 1: I thought? The only one that's not. I think I would probably do a better job than both of them. But it was it really was funny, and it got a good laugh and it kind of took the tension out of the room. And it was funny, and he did a phenomenal job. And this is someone who had known Jordan for quite some time and had gone through the coming out process with Jordan and then subsequently met Colton and went through the process with him. So this person who officiated really shared this journey and fit the mold perfectly and kind of told this arcing story and it was really beautiful. But we go back to the welcome party on Friday night, yes, and we've gotten to know everybody. We're having a blast. It's really a good time. Everybody's relaxed. And then come the speeches. So the kind of informal toasts, if you will, the gentleman hosting kind of m seeing the toast. If he's not if he's not a stand up guy or a professional writer, he should be. The guy was magnificent.
Speaker 2: And so I mean, look, I think it's hard also to not go to a wedding and think about our own and think.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 2: But they did something that I told my sister to do at her wedding last year, and it was awesome. And I love when people do this, which is have a couple fun toasts at your welcome party or rehearsal dinner on the night before.
Speaker 3: I think it makes people feel together right away. Again.
Speaker 2: It gives you that window into the couple and kind of helps you know some of the other people in the room instead of just kind of mingling and making small talk. And it gives you, honestly something to talk about, because if you don't know someone, you can at least say, how about that toast?
Speaker 3: What a great toast?
Speaker 1: Or what a horrible toast? But the lead hitter just crushed it, and I mean on a professional level. He made jokes that were so poignant, so perfect. He didn't get too personal, he didn't go too inside baseball.
Speaker 3: He was a little Hollywood too, which was funny.
Speaker 2: I think one of his funniest jokes was he said, so, I'm not going to quote him properly, but I'm paraphrasing something like, well, you know, we're all going to take some shots tonight, and by shots I mean of ozempic Well and that.
Speaker 1: The Megan Markle line was fantastic, he.
Speaker 2: Did say at the end, and I think I have this memorized. His closing line was, in the words a future Nobel Prize winner Megan Markle, if we can all treat each other like our best friends, like can you even imagine?
Speaker 1: It was so good. So the next guy that steps up to the mic his Coulton's old foot coach Spence.
Speaker 2: Coach Spence, we were not disappointed.
Speaker 3: There was no need to worry.
Speaker 1: There was a second of trepidation, a second of fear of oh no, and he crushed.
Speaker 2: I mean, I will say, you know, I am about sports, but a coach, I'm thinking, has got to be a good public speaker. He's talking to the team every night. I know that much. You know, I might say, it's like a director of a play. Okay, So coach Spence crushes it. And again, I'm a Chicago girl. The second he got up there, he's kind of talking like this.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh, this is a Chicago guy. This is an Illinois guy. And he was so genuine.
Speaker 2: And what I loved was that there was no there was so much love around the fact that everybody kind of knows Colton was had not come out for a while people knew him, you know, before he'd come out, and so there we was sort of these loving jokes about those times, like the coach said, well, you know, Colton, he's like, these girls are texting him to hang out, and he wouldn't go out with the girls. He'd like, just come to practice and I'd be like, man, I love your focus.
Speaker 1: He's like, you did, did Coulton? Did you go out last night? He's like, no, Coach, I stayed in. He's like, I love this kid, this kid, And so obviously there was a reason Colton was not going out with the ladies, and there he made a few jokes like that. It just he was so endearing because it was so raw just to hear this ultra apex like male, hetero male giving this speech about Colton.
Speaker 2: Every just it was so beautiful and I really think those again, those toasts that night of Colton and Jordan picked the perfect people and they made everybody feel like one group for the wedding ahead of the actual wedding day.
Speaker 1: So that was Friday night, Saturday's wedding day. It kicked off with a kind of afternoon disco theme pool party, which everybody went to had a good time, got way too much sun, and then there was the ceremony, which was it was warm. I will say this, it was warm in Napa.
Speaker 2: Once again we run into this problem where I am a sweater and Chris Harrison is not.
Speaker 1: Ladies I did this day though, to the ladies.
Speaker 2: Who are with a man out there, if you or anybody, anybody with your partner, it is so embarrassing if you are a sweaty person and they are not. I'm sitting there, I'm trying to look cute and I've gotten all dressed up.
Speaker 3: Does it next to Christmas?
Speaker 1: You looks beautiful. By the way, thank you. And by the way, our outfits matched.
Speaker 2: You did crush it on the matching. You always crush it on the matching. I just don't agree with your assessment of the colors of clothing. I mean, honestly, even this time, he's telling me, I have this great pink shirt that's going to go with your outfit, and I'm like, babe, that is purple. But it did match. You get there in the end, and that's what it's about. You land the plane.
Speaker 1: And so it was unseasonably warm, just for some reason in Napa it was ninety plus degrees. It was just a warm afternoon. So we spend a little time outside and I'm going to suit your in your dress, and everybody was it was warm. It was warm. We got a little sweaty. The other thing is there was a little bit of sniffling and sneezing, which is why we sound probably like we do on the podcast. Today. They're going through what's called a super bloom in Napa Valley. There was so much rain this year in Napa in California that everything is blooming like never before. And they literally said, hey, just beware, it's rough up here. And so there was a little sniffling and sneezing and some red eyes.
Speaker 2: I now, I'll just say again, I can't keep up with you. Listen to how I how I sound, no versus how Chris sounds. I don't Is it just more years of broadcast experience. Your voice sounds perfect. I sound like my throat.
Speaker 1: Got to bring the voice down into your chest.
Speaker 2: Okay, I just tried to lower it. Now I just sound like I'm trying.
Speaker 1: To be like you're smoking.
Speaker 3: So I want to talk about the seramon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's get to the Sarah.
Speaker 3: Todd Hawkins, As we said, their friend.
Speaker 1: About two hundred people it this way. It was a very big wedding.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think they took over the whole resort, which again made it fun. If you're going to do a destination wedding, everybody's on the property together. But so their friend Todd Hawkins does the ceremony. He was adorable, he was funny, he was heartfelt, he was great. And I love when someone who the couple knows officiates. I don't mean to be shady, do what you want to do, but I just this memes you go when you see clearly they've you know, I don't know even honestly, if it's like a pastor of a church but they don't really know them, You don't. It doesn't feel I want to feel emotional, I want to feel connected.
Speaker 3: I want to cry on a wedding day.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: You did cry.
Speaker 3: I did cry.
Speaker 2: I said to Colton afterwards, I don't think I've ever both laughed and cried so much at a ceremony because there was a beautiful roller coaster of emotion.
Speaker 3: They would.
Speaker 2: I mean, at one point, I think Colton was tearing up a little bit, which was great. But they also had these really funny moments. They had a gospel choir, and this choir was sort of I don't know if it was pre planned or improvising with the vows.
Speaker 3: So Colton might say.
Speaker 2: I vow to always let you drive, and this incredibly talented choir would go.
Speaker 4: Don't crash.
Speaker 1: It was reminded me of kind of like think of the Doctor Pepper commercials with Live like where they kind of sing the girl with.
Speaker 3: The guy who used to be on American Idol. Yeah, yes, Justine that. It was very much that humor.
Speaker 1: And it was so funny, spectacular. So and Colton had prepared this with the choir, obviously Jordan didn't know. And then Jordan has his his own version of it too, which.
Speaker 3: But Jordan kicked off the vocals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he started his vows by singing Angel of.
Speaker 3: Mine by Monica. What a choice.
Speaker 2: The millennial inside of me was a lit He sang a little bit. Who knew Jordan could sing?
Speaker 3: It was incredible, and then he went into the vowel.
Speaker 1: Two things I loved about it He sang just enough like of the chorus. He didn't make it awkward by singing the whole three and a half minute song. Correct, it was perfect. So it's like he he showed his race, his skills, his love of Coulton, and then he went into his vows and it was again an expert this guy is. You can tell why he's such a good political strategist because he was so eloquent, so well spoken. He has a great voice for radio.
Speaker 2: By the way, the entire wedding, I said to Colton, it planned to a tea. I don't know if anybody could have planned a wedding like this better. I mean, to get everybody on one property, the welcome party, the toasts, the wedding itself, the timing of it all.
Speaker 3: They crushed it.
Speaker 1: And is there anything else that stuck out to you about the ceremony.
Speaker 3: I mean no, I loved it.
Speaker 2: I was very I also loved that they told everybody please don't take your phones out. Yeah, because I know everybody's aunt wants their picture of the ceremony to put on their Instagram. But when people are pulling their phones out and taking pictures during Todd started it by saying, professional photographers here, they're going to get great pictures.
Speaker 3: Please just be in the moment.
Speaker 1: And I loved that and everybody followed yeah and did not do that, which was cool.
Speaker 3: Which is impressive with two hundred people.
Speaker 1: It was And but I'll leave.
Speaker 3: The rest of the you know, the vows and all that to I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, they the vows were just they were both funny, irreverent at times and then poignant and beautiful and personal. And the people who got up and spoke, including Colton's dad, it was just they were some really funny, lighthearted moments. But it just it really made you connect with everybody, the family, Colton and Jordan. You just it felt very personal, which was wonderful.
Speaker 2: So we go into the wedding party. We're rocking and rolling. I'm doing a shot with Donna.
Speaker 1: Well, we got to back up. I mean, we walked in and there's the Stanford I don't know if it's the Synchronized Swim team the Creative Swim team. They're in the pool performing as we all walk in.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I think Jordan went to stand he did.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true. There was a lot of Stanford there.
Speaker 3: Smarty that man.
Speaker 1: A lot of Cardinal were in the house.
Speaker 3: I don't know that is it the team?
Speaker 1: Yes, Sanford card one of the rare teams where the mascot is an s. It's the Stanford Cardinal.
Speaker 3: Okay, you lost me there, but anyways.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we get to the party and there is this beautiful, beautifully set up reception at the top. They call it the Hilltop. Actually they're at Carneros the Pool and you just have a view, kind of one hundred and eighty degree view of all the vineyards in Carneros Valley. It is just spectacular the whole night.
Speaker 3: I mean, we had.
Speaker 2: Drinks flowing and great food and again some incredible toasts, one coming from Miss Olivia Wilde.
Speaker 1: Actress Miss Olivia Wilde was there.
Speaker 3: Longtime friend of Jordan's, crushed it with her toast, very funny.
Speaker 1: Told a really funny story of her and Jordan.
Speaker 3: It was just a very la story.
Speaker 2: And again I don't want to reveal, you know, all the details of their event, but it was like she talked about a day when they went to the grove together, and that was so la to me of like, you're younger and you don't have any money yet, like you're not successful yet, and you're just kind of walking around at an outdoor mall in Los Angeles and she was really.
Speaker 1: Funny, great and yeah again it's obviously close to Jordan and now you could tell is very good friends with Coulton. And there were a few Hollywood like writers and people like that were there that we didn't know and got to know.
Speaker 2: Very I think one of the creators of Jury Duty was in the house. If everybody hasn't watched Jury Duty on Amazon free v yet, hilarious, wonderful, just watch it. So I actually wanted to meet that guy to tell him his show was great.
Speaker 1: But if you're not a James Marsin and Van, you will be after you watched Jerry Duty. It was. It was a beautiful reception and not to like pick favorites. Table seven definitely crushed it.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have to ask Coulton later how he put us at that table. I am so fascinated to know, because the seating charts important, right, I mean another thing.
Speaker 1: This was a fully plated dinner and had beautiful tables displayed, and so it was a sit down dinner.
Speaker 2: So as we're thinking about our wedding, I liked norma chairs. Some people do open seating at a wedding. That makes me a little nervous as a guest. I like to be to go, put my purse down and know where I'm sitting.
Speaker 1: You know how I feel about Southwest Airline.
Speaker 3: You we don't want our wedding to south I don't.
Speaker 1: Want the angst of am I sitting in the right place? Do I have a good chair? Oh, someone's purse is already in this chair, so there's only one chair. I don't like it.
Speaker 3: Starts you're picking teams at Jim again. Who Oh, who are you going to sit with?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Will you please sit with me? Oh? I can't sit here. Your table's taken. I don't like that.
Speaker 1: As with everything at this wedding, clearly a lot of thought was put into the table seating.
Speaker 3: So we are.
Speaker 2: Sitting next to just a hilarious couple. Polly and Rob and her sister and her husband are also there. They're Jordan's friends, I believe from college. We had an incredible couple across from us. We just had really fun people and I think we were the rowdy table.
Speaker 1: The woman across from us from Mumbai, Yes, came in from India. They came the furthest Her and her husband came from Mumbai and she is this amazing She kind of creates this comedic content over there. I started diving into her stuff. She was fascinating. So it was everybody was just so open and you met everybody at our table, and.
Speaker 2: It was I was starting to be like, are we are we laughing too loud during the toasts?
Speaker 3: Are we that table?
Speaker 1: We definitely were that table a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, But I like to give people supportive laughter. I think I think so much about how nerve wrecking it is to make a toast, and so I'm like whooping and cheering loudly, and maybe I needed to do in the book.
Speaker 1: So when we got through dinner, we and plenty of cocktails and wine, and then there was the well, there was the first dance that this their friend of theirs saying and it was beautiful, and Colton and Jordan had their first dance together, and then the moms were there.
Speaker 2: I was getting emotional during that first dance. It was really nice to see Colton so happy.
Speaker 1: By the way, we got to spend a lot of time with Colton's mom and dad, oh, his and his bonus mom as Colton Calture his whole family.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were so welcoming, so lovely, and I mean again, I think a lot of them were excited to meet you, but they were just so much fun.
Speaker 1: I just really enjoyed because I had heard about Colton's dad, obviously football player and the guy that got Colton into football, and he, by the way, I see where Coulton gets his build. His dad is as big and as jacked as Colton is. I'm like, okay, that apple didn't fall far from the genetic tree. But I just really enjoyed talking to him one on one for quite some time. Of how much he loves Colton, how much he supports him, how much he was He's just all in on Colton's journey and where he is and where he came from. And I don't know, I was just this blue collar dad from the Midwest. I love that he has embraced all that Colton is and who his son really is. It just warmed my heart.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of love in the room.
Speaker 2: There was so dancing and again Chris Harrison hittim the dance floor hard.
Speaker 3: Did you oh? The band? The band was great? Do we call it a band?
Speaker 1: It was a mix between a DJ, so he was playing songs as a DJ would these great mixes. But they had brass, there was a trumpet, there was a saxon, there was a drummer. Kind of a jazz band. So each member of this kind of DJ group also played an instrument, and so they would sometimes jump in on the mix and go for a solo. It was awesome.
Speaker 3: So we danced all night.
Speaker 1: We danced into the wee hours of the morning.
Speaker 3: And what more do you want out of a wedding?
Speaker 1: Truly?
Speaker 2: To me, at the end of the day, if you feel the love in the room, like emotional good fun toasts, if you feel like you had a great cocktail and you're feeling good, and then if you dance all night, that's a wedding.
Speaker 3: To me, that's all you need.
Speaker 1: And everybody woke up Sunday morning a little horse ready to head home.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you, because one thing Colton did mention in his vows was getting through.
Speaker 3: Like he talked a little bit about what a wild.
Speaker 2: Ride it had been with him and Jordan, even just what an up and down at sometimes tough time the last couple of years had been for him.
Speaker 3: What was it like for you to be there?
Speaker 2: Because you always say the bachelor's and bachelorettes specifically you get closer with them and they feel a little bit like your kids.
Speaker 3: And Colton has maybe.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's definitely up there in terms of the.
Speaker 3: The highs and lows of his ride as the lead.
Speaker 1: And controversy obviously surrounded it. And I do it's like, you know, that was one thing I always prided myself on, and it wasn't for everybody. You know, I got closer with some than others. That's just human nature, but many of them I did. I felt very protective of them as they went through this and then afterwards as they went on this journey, and you know, you look at like a Caitlin Bristow who ended up with Jason Tartick. You know, that's a little different than what Coulton went through and ending up with Jordan and how it all came to be and how controversial it was. But I'm a big believer that you stand by people through thick and thin, through the good times, through the bad, and it's not always perfect. But knowing what Coulton struggled with, and having had very deep personal conversations with him about his journey and the things he fought all his life to see him get to a point where he can stand in front of hundreds of people, his family and look so at ease as to who he is now. To me, that my heart was just swelling with pride. And that's when I got emotional at the wedding. That's what I got emotional about was just these moments where I would be watching Colton. I could just see him. His shoulders are down, he's not scared, he's not hiding, kind of like I felt like when he was on The Bachelor, there was this defense up. There was this wallup At the time. Obviously we didn't know exactly what it was. Now you can see it clearly, and I can see that that's gone, and I can see that this man Jordan, has helped him take that down and helped him find out who he was and is and be free. And so I don't know, just there we was so much emotions just swelling up in me seeing who this man is now and this friend, this guy who I consider a friend, and also selfishly what it meant to him to see me there supporting him, that approval, maybe that love. When he gave me a hug and you could just see it in his eyes when he grabbed me and just said thank you for being here. It means the world to me. It just it felt so good.
Speaker 2: I was very touched to have been invited, for sure. Yeah, and as you just you know, I mean if you mentioned controversy. One thing about being at the wedding is look, the stuff that doesn't make headlines are for anybody who's in the spotlight, your friends and family who aren't you know. I mean you looked around that room and there were two hundred people there supporting and loving these people, and so many people. I mean, Jordan was standing up there saying, Colton, you are like my champion, you are my teammate. That's the type of person Colton is. Colton's family talking about, you know, how much they love him, what a great person he is. People talking about the way Colton's smile lights up a room. He had a long time friend of his, I think her name was Cassie give a toast about him and speak to the type of person he is. So that stuff doesn't make headlines, but you see all these human beings vouching for and supporting this person, and that's so important. So I just wanted to say that because it was beautiful.
Speaker 1: You can't be around Coulton and not know that his heart is as broad as his shoulders are. He definitely has a big heart and he leads with that, and so yeah, it meant a lot. And it was something that, you know, for us again to go to a wedding where we knew we weren't going to know anybody and it was probably going to be a little uncomfortable at first, and it turned out it wasn't. But that was how much it meant for us to be there to show that support. And I'm glad we did. And it was a great weekend. And I'm glad we're home because we need to repack because we're off on another adventure this week.
Speaker 3: Yes, so congrats to Colton and Jordan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all my love guys, all my love go have an amazing life together. Before we go today, there's a couple of things I did want to touch on. Can I do one quick sports thing?
Speaker 3: Make it quick?
Speaker 1: This is going to be a sweet sports thing. So the NBA Playoffs are going on, that's basketball. Miami Heat are playing the New York Knicks. So the Heat win, they wrap up the series. This is a huge moment. There is a player for the Heat bam out of bio and he's in a postgame press conference. His phone rings. It's his mom. He stops in the middle of his press conference and picks up the phone.
Speaker 4: Here it is I have a lot of respect for and it's nogic. Hello, Hi mommy. Yes, no, I'm a media. I'm a media. No, I wasn't in it. Nah, it's all good.
Speaker 1: Come on. I know this is a sports thing, but how adorable in the middle of a press conference. First of all, he picks up the phone. The first thing he says is Mommy.
Speaker 2: It's very situationally dependent. I've noticed that if my mom calls when I'm with you, I say hey mom. But if my mom calls and I'm alone, I'm like, hi mommy or something.
Speaker 3: You kind of go back into kid modes.
Speaker 2: So I kind of love that he was confident enough to say Hi mommy in front of an entire room of the press, and now in a clip that's gone.
Speaker 1: Everywhere, and I love the press was totally silent. It's like he's going to take this call from his mom.
Speaker 3: You take the call from mom, and so he always answer from mom.
Speaker 1: He totally did. And the best part is, obviously you can't hear in that clip what mom was saying, but she was clearly concerned about something he was possibly involved with, or maybe something had happened. He says, no, Mom, I'm good. You know I wasn't a part of that. It's all good. So clearly she was concerned about something. And I just love that we had talked about this in our Mother's Day episode, and obviously we just celebrated Mother's Day, so I love that this happened right as we were celebrating all of our moms.
Speaker 3: When was the press conference?
Speaker 1: It was the other day.
Speaker 2: So don't you think you got especially if it's Mother's Day weekend, you got it.
Speaker 1: Mother's Day weekend. But I just loved how he answered to her. And we talked about with our moms, you have to feel responsible to someone other than yourself. Clearly, this mom has done an amazing job because he was answering to her and it was just so sweet. I just thought it was a beautiful moment.
Speaker 2: I remember reading a study that you will instantly any human being, you will feel instantly more calm if you hear your mother's voice. It's just something biological. Now, maybe it depends on the tone and the volume of your voice and what it's about.
Speaker 1: But if they use your full name, yes, Laura Nashley Zema, You're like, oh, I'm in trouble, Donna.
Speaker 2: I've noticed that if I'm feeling stressed about something, I actually I've worked on clearly communicating it over the years. I will call my mom and right off the bat, I make the conversation clear and I say, I'm kind of stressed and I just need to hear your voice, and then we kind of just have a nice, like easy conversation and she makes me laugh and doesn't criticize me on that.
Speaker 1: Well. And to say again, when you have a mom like you do, like I do, clearly like Bam out of Bio does from the heat, they just immediately make you feel like you're twelve years old again. I don't care if you're the best basketball player in the world and you just beat the Nicks and you're heading off to the Eastern Conference Finals, you are twelve years old and you're answering to your mommy. I love that.
Speaker 2: Next time your mom calls, because I've never heard you say it, I want you to say, hi, mommy.
Speaker 1: I've never called my mom mommy.
Speaker 3: Never you never use a kid.
Speaker 1: Even as a kid, I never use the word what did you say? Mom?
Speaker 3: Just mom?
Speaker 1: To this day I'm like, hey mom, love you Mom. Yeah, I've never called her mommy.
Speaker 3: All right, well let me bring you to a different mother.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: A couple fabulous elders making the news this week for very different reasons. Martha Stewart at eighty one cover of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition, the oldest woman person whoever to ever be on the cover of SI's Swimsuit edition.
Speaker 1: Maybe SI ever it is no, there was a seventy seven year old woman last year in twenty twenty two. So Martha Stewart the oldest ever grace the cover. Now there are the cover is changed in Sports Illustrated time because it used to be what's called a magazine, and there was one magazine that would be on newsstands. Google that kids, and now there are kind of online. There's four online covers. But still Martha Stewart, who looks fantastic on the cover.
Speaker 3: Fabulous, she's kind of you, Jane Fonda share.
Speaker 2: I mean, some of these, you know, women have kind of been the gold standards of like aging.
Speaker 1: But March step so Christian there.
Speaker 2: Okay, I know your crush, but Martha Stewart is now up there. Martha Stewart is setting Martha Stewart is becoming a oh my gosh, how does she look that way at that age person? Looking stunning? So obviously sports illustrated. Changing from the way the swimsuit as she used to be. It has for the past couple of years, they've had more natural you know, just real bodies on it, athletic.
Speaker 3: Women, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: One thing that this made me think about, will we see over the next few years a shift in a prevalence of older women dating younger men. Like I brought up share Share was dating someone much younger. Recently Madonna has and it's obviously much more common for men to date younger women, I think than for women to date younger men. Like I like that we're making a shift as a culture into we need to change our mindset about women and their level of sexiness and beauty as they get older. Men are seen as better looking as they get older. Women it's like we have an expiration day.
Speaker 1: I think there's much more of that in general. I just see it in our own lives. I think there is more it's more prevalent now than obviously in the past of young men dating marrying older women.
Speaker 3: Which I love.
Speaker 2: Now, I will say, I wonder if it's going to happen as much because I do think I'm just speaking from my friends and I I think for a lot of women, the idea of dating a younger man, it's like, you don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: No, God, I think I need to get to a certain age so that he is a man. You're not dating a broken boy, right.
Speaker 2: Probably if I was an older woman, I would not date a younger man who.
Speaker 3: Wasn't at least in his mid thirties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I will share a story before you and I started dating. So I was single dating a guy fairly briefly, and he lied to me about his age. He told me that he was twenty nine and he was in fact twenty three.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh.
Speaker 2: And I will say it made sense because I was kind of thinking to myself, Oh, we would we'd have a little conflict or something, and I would think he's a little immature.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it might be a little immature for me.
Speaker 2: And then he eventually revealed he had lied about his age, and he said I was worried you wouldn't date me because I was so young, And the answer is no, I wouldn't have.
Speaker 1: Well, what's funny is that that's a big lie. By the way, six years, but it doesn't sound like that much.
Speaker 2: It's so interesting how I think in your twenties six years can be so significant.
Speaker 1: It is, I mean, the difference between when I was twenty three and twenty.
Speaker 3: Nine big life place.
Speaker 1: I mean that was six years of marriage and a kid, the difference.
Speaker 2: But then let me ask you how big of a difference, And maybe there is one between when you're forty three and forty nine.
Speaker 1: Not a huge difference. I think you get to a certain point in your life in age really doesn't matter that much anymore. You get more life experiences and things happen clearly, and so you continue to learn and evolve. But once you become the man you are, I would say after forty years old, there's not a big change.
Speaker 2: Well, I would be interested. Please hit me up in the DMS. I want to have a conversation about this. Ladies, if you are someone who dates men, would you date a younger man and how young would you go? And how big of an age gap would you do yeah?
Speaker 1: Or or I would love to see if anybody is dating a younger man. Give me the pluses and minuses of this.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I would love to see Martha Stewart come out, you know, at eighty one, come out with something like hot fifty year old.
Speaker 1: It's amazing to think that she was in jail.
Speaker 3: I was also thinking about that, what a comeback? I mean, I mean.
Speaker 1: Was there a bigger comeback?
Speaker 3: It was so controversial at the time too.
Speaker 2: Today well, today, I do think that would still be controversial because it was like insider trading and you're so wealthy and you're doing that. It would still be a controversial thing today. But it's funny the lens the other day, you and I kind of gone on this random rewatch or for me, the first time watch of the show The West Wing, and so then I'm googling it and looking into it, and I did not realize The West Wing Aaron Sorkin, the creator of the show, was removed from the show because he got in major trouble for being arrested at an airport with some mushrooms, right, And I thought, today, oh my god, that's not that big.
Speaker 1: Of that's a blip on the radar for me. Nobody's getting canceled for mushrooms or weed.
Speaker 2: No, some times have change. But speaking of age, I have one more to throw at you. Yes, Robert de Niro, we've gone from mother to daddy literally having a baby at age seventy nine. He's welcomed a new baby and he's seventy nine years old.
Speaker 3: Your thoughts.
Speaker 1: One of those stories is wonderful and empowering. One of these stories is selfish. I think Martha is an amazing story. It's wonderful, great. I think having a child at seventy nine years old is unbelievably selfish as a dad. And again, God bless them. Congratulations Mazeltov. I hope is a healthy, happy baby and they have a wonderful life. They will not have their dad around for very long.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're like, God bless them. But also that's selfish.
Speaker 1: It is God bless them now. I mean, I wish them well. There's a human being now on this earth. I wish them well. But that child will not have a father as they grow up, because your dad is going to die. Your dad is seventy nine. I'm just going to go out on a limb. Odds are and even if he's not dead in ten years or eleven years, he won't be in the capacity to raise this child and enjoy all the great things and so the active it's just when you have a child that okay, when he's ten or she's ten. He's eighty nine, ninety years old?
Speaker 3: Really okay, So what's the cutoff for you? How old can people have children?
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know. I'm not going to set the age limit. But seventy nine's it? I know that. I know that doesn't pass the smell test. One is I'm really it's remarkable he had a child at seventy nine. I'm interested to know how that happened.
Speaker 3: But didn't they didn't? Isn't the famous thing that Picasso had kids into his seventies, is it? He's not the de Niro's not the first.
Speaker 1: He's not. No, And I don't know. I just for me having kids. None of us are promised tomorrow. Look, I'm only fifty one. I could be gone tomorrow too. None of us are promised that. You know that as well as anybody. But I do know this that de Niro's not going to live all that much longer, and he's definitely not gonna be able to be active. And he's not going to watch that child graduate from high school. He's not gonna watch that child get married. He's not going to watch that child walk across the stage and graduate college, play and all whatever. There are major life moments where that child will not have their father. Look, well, they have money. Yeah, they're gonna have DeNiro money. But as you know, that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe he's thinking, I'm having a kid and I'm setting them up financially for life in a way a lot of other parents can't. So I'm giving them that gift.
Speaker 1: Sorry to poopoo on de Niro, I don't love I just didn't love it.
Speaker 2: You love his acting, maybe you're not loving his parenting. Yeah, that's I mean, I totally see your point. I think there are obviously a lot worse things a parent can do.
Speaker 3: To a child.
Speaker 2: But okay, I guess there's part of me that wonders, and I got to look up who we had this child with. But if your partner is telling you, I mean, I really want to have another.
Speaker 3: Child, that's a tough. It's tough to look.
Speaker 2: Somebody in the face and say I'm denying you that that's hard.
Speaker 1: It was with his partner Tiffany Chen and I believe, if I'm not mistaken, this is his seventh child.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: So that's the other thing. You got enough. You don't need a starting basketball team. I mean, come on, man, come on de Niro, and look, it hurts me to talk about my costar like this. You know, we spend a lot of quality time together on the movie Showtime.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I forgot about your cameo in the film Showtime.
Speaker 3: Is that Eddie Murphy?
Speaker 1: Eddie Murphy and Robert Genio and Renee Russo one of your favorites.
Speaker 3: I love Renee.
Speaker 1: I did not get to meet her or see her because I was in the scene with Eddie and Bobby de Niro.
Speaker 3: Well, I can't believe you're talking about your friend, Bobby, I know.
Speaker 1: See, And that's why I feel so passionately about this. Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, mother's father's age, gaps and babies at elder ages, A lot to discuss, a lot discussed today.
Speaker 3: Please everybody slide into the DMS.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear from you guys on what you think about these things. And again, a big Congrats to Colton and Jordan, and thank you for including us in what was a very loving and fun weekend.
Speaker 1: All my love to Colton Jordan, congratulations. Thank you for joining us today. We always love talking to you. We'll see you next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram. I'm at the most dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.