Speaker 1: Producer husband of this podcast, Jensen Karb That's Something for Us has a TikTok video for us to watch.
Speaker 2: If you had a crush on Rider Strong or Will Friedel, you weren't choosing a character, you were choosing your entire nineties personality. Rider Strong was the quiet intensity, shy eyes, soft voice, the feeling of someone who felt everything too deeply but didn't say it out loud.
Speaker 3: Loving him felt private, like you were in.
Speaker 2: On something emotional that no one else fully understood, the kind of crush that lived in your journey, not your conversations. But then there was Will Freedom, loud, magnetic, impossible to ignore, the kind of energy that filled a room before he said anything. He made you laugh without trying, made everything feel lighter, like life didn't have to be serious.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: Writer made you feel understood.
Speaker 2: Will made you feel alive. If you were torn between right or Strong and Will Freedom, you are really only torn between two versions of yourself, the one who felt everything deeply.
Speaker 3: And the one who just wanted to laugh through.
Speaker 2: Writer was the quiet age, the emotional safety of being seen without performing. Will was the spark, the feeling of being chosen by joy instead of death. And somehow both felt like first love, just in completely different timelines, because one stayed in your feelings and one stayed in your memories. Comment a blackheart for writer or a laughing face for will and let me know in the comments, which one did you choose then? And which one would you choose now?
Speaker 1: Wait? Who's winning? Of course?
Speaker 4: I don't know starking joy or starting joy, filling a room with emotion when you walk before.
Speaker 5: You even walk in most most people at fifteen didn't want that.
Speaker 1: I don't don't. I don't know who this person is who's narrating that video, But it very much felt like AI text to me, you think, very specifically, yes, because it's a lot of big words that kind of didn't mean anything that I was like, what this sounds like you've created You've asked AI to create a thing for you, and it like throws out a lot of words and I'm like, I don't, I don't, I don't know or he said it very ardently. Yeah, but it felt, you know, it felt like AI. It also felt very astrology, you know, like you're gonna hear what you want to hear. You're gonna hear what you want to hear and because I don't.
Speaker 4: Pull out the birthday's book.
Speaker 1: Writer was the quiet ache, the intensity that only you saw privately, the strength of what just like this is babble.
Speaker 5: Criticizing the video of people saying you should be in love with Ryder Strong?
Speaker 1: Well, how do you feel about it? Will?
Speaker 3: I feel?
Speaker 5: I think it's a joking fun I think that it's the The thing I take away from that is they misspell writer and mispronounced for Dell.
Speaker 4: It's my favorite.
Speaker 5: So it's my favorite. It's always R Y d E R and freedom.
Speaker 1: But what thesis is that by having a crush on one of us it defined your nineties personality? What does that mean? What does a nineties personality mean? Is it about? Does it mean that this is who you are?
Speaker 3: I think you like it? Different type of guy you like it as a kid?
Speaker 5: What type of person were you as a kid where it was like if you if you liked right or Strong, chances are you were the artsy student who maybe was considered a little emo and quiet, and if you liked Will then you were more kind of the loud walk into the middle of the room, take ownership, make everyone that's God.
Speaker 1: It doesn't say that though it's saying that that's what you like, it actually is just talking around that. But yes, I think that would be a stronger thesis. It's like, if you like writer, it means you were and are this type of person. If you like will you But it doesn't. It's kind of just vaguely hints at that. And it's just like, I don't know, people probably liked both of us in different ways. It doesn't mean that much. I don't know, weird, but whatever. Yeah, but what about if you had a crush on Danielle Fischel and you are just the regular person watching boy Girl?
Speaker 4: I am confused.
Speaker 6: We've still at this point other than me saying the music, what's up with that music choice?
Speaker 5: There's a gravitas to like a Game of Thrones background.
Speaker 6: I was waiting for it to end with them like stabbing the pictures of.
Speaker 1: You and the Allies or something.
Speaker 4: It was like, what is happening? It's very building to a horror movie.
Speaker 1: I think it's you know, it's making you feel empowered by your crush from forty years ago.
Speaker 4: Made me feel scared from forty years ago. I was like, should I not have felt blah? I don't know, it's very very interesting.
Speaker 6: I do love those little green screen videos though how people are able to do that? I don't know how to make those, but TikTok's.
Speaker 1: Right, I can't understand them.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't like it.
Speaker 6: I mean I mean I like it ironically, Like what is that his first he started over here and then he went over here and holding a tiny mic.
Speaker 1: Well, you know how everybody's holding the tiny mic. Now it's like, because you don't need to, you just clip it on you. But this denotes authority. Now, yeah, it's like the ways to frame it.
Speaker 3: Looks like you're holding a tiny little bug.
Speaker 1: But no, but if you don't have it, it doesn't seem like you're.
Speaker 6: Announ It's not about it's an ability, it's exactly actual algorithm views. Yes, for whatever reason, the stats show that if someone sees somebody holding a microphone, for whatever reason, they're more likely to stop and watch what you're seeing.
Speaker 1: To have more authority. I think it totally. It makes you seem like you, yeah, are more of the futhoritative eyes of.
Speaker 3: The microphone has anything to do with yeah exactly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, see like Danielle's doing it right, whereas like Bob Barker back in the day had the long, thin microphone. I remember being like, why did you choose that? But I loved that little thin wand of a microphone.
Speaker 4: Me too.
Speaker 6: But you know, nothing's ever going to top what we call the Britney Spears mic You know that one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: That's like I'm leading the workout video correct, Yeah, the best. Yeah, don't because that means you have to move around like you need your hands to do stuff. Yeah, you know, No, that doesn't denote authority, no, but not that you're going to be working out or singing and dancing, which is yeah, but that's not you're saying.
Speaker 3: Britney Spears didn't denote authority.
Speaker 1: She did as a singer or as a dancer, which is.
Speaker 4: What she was doing.
Speaker 6: I also need to be able to imagine what I could accomplish if I could just I mean I do.
Speaker 4: I could wear I could clip a microphone on my shirt.
Speaker 6: But like that idea of like I'm going to wash the dishes, My grandmother used to have one of those that she could wear on her head to talk on the phone while she did the dishes.
Speaker 5: But like the full phone, it was one of those ones like the entire phone stuck there. We've seen that informal full phone. You literally just clipped the thing to an actual phone receiver. And it's like people like I hear you great bob as They're like, she's doing the dishes, but it's a full phone in her thing. Like that's I miss that stuff. Minurturisation is no good. I miss that stuff.
Speaker 3: So Rider, who did you have a crush on me?
Speaker 5: Or you?
Speaker 1: I mean, I was always hanging around you, man, you were my best friends, so obviously I wanted to be more in the free.
Speaker 5: Well wait a second, have we talked about this? Did you ever have a crush on Danielle?
Speaker 3: No? No, okay, was never reciprocated ever.
Speaker 1: No, we had this whole conversation because I said that to Rachel.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, I remember that, but I was murdered.
Speaker 1: But I do think. I do think Danielle and I spent a lot of time to get out around that period when I was with Rachel. But I don't think I entertained the possiblit because I was in a relationship. But that was like the period where we were best friends and spending every day together and because.
Speaker 5: I could draft after Rachel you never in your mind, never after the idea.
Speaker 1: After that, like when we were by the time we were seventeen, Danielle and I were not getting along actively, like not liking each other until near the end of the show we like became friends again.
Speaker 3: But no, like Okay, I wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Say I was actively not liking you, but I but I wasn't. Definitely didn't never crush on you anymore.
Speaker 1: No, we were rolling our eyes around each other.
Speaker 4: Probably we were definitely we were teenagers.
Speaker 1: Going different directions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, being very well, it had grown apart.
Speaker 4: Yes, thanks for bringing that up. Well, I feel feel good.
Speaker 5: I'm just curious what if there was ever reciprocated, Just wondering if we're going to find a rider strong journal entry at some point.
Speaker 4: Well, did you ever have a crush on anyone on Boy Meets World?
Speaker 5: Well, I told you years later, years later, I had a crush on you, Danielle, years later, I almost asked you out was no long.
Speaker 6: Time told me that and I never knew that, like none, I know.
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 7: Will he's serious? He told me this froze. He doesn't, I can't. It says the internet connection is unstable.
Speaker 5: We go This was it was like two thousand when whenever, when did we see each other again?
Speaker 3: Five two thousand and five, six, something like that.
Speaker 5: It wasn't long after, boy, and it was we were all hanging out again.
Speaker 4: A little bit we had like I had.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think it was right around. No, that might have even been after.
Speaker 5: That might have been later, I don't remember, but I remember there was one time where we were hanging out and I was like, I was single and Danielle was single. I was like, oh, that might be interesting to entertain. And then it just and then I realized.
Speaker 4: It was never and then he was like, I don't leave my house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't leave my house. That weird exactly.
Speaker 5: There would have been a weirdness to it. And yeah, so it was it was more just a fleet.
Speaker 1: Thank god that didn't happen. I mean, unless you guys have gotten married and had children, it was wonderful, but like chances are would have of course dissolved, and then we wouldn't be able to have imagine what this.
Speaker 5: It would have been a whole different podcast, I'm sure at that point exactly, and she wouldn't have met Jenson, and I wouldn't have met Sue and yeah, we wouldn't have been happy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so there you go.
Speaker 5: But no people on the cast, no, did you did you ever have a like, did you ever have a crush on Trina or oh me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, guest stars, I had crushes and I tried to date and did date in some cases or whatever. But crew members remembers but no, like, yeah, I mean I've been Yeah, I think you know about every everybody that I had a crush on.
Speaker 6: As teenagers, crushes are flinging.
Speaker 4: They're just flating a mile a minute.
Speaker 3: It's different week by week.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean, And it's so funny how like, as as a young person, emotional romantic relationship feelings are so front of mind that if you are single, there's never.
Speaker 4: A scenario you're not in where you're like.
Speaker 6: Potential mate, potential mate, just like yeah, and you're like, oh, I'm starting a new job, is that guy single? Is that guy?
Speaker 4: Like you're literally just thinking about it all the time.
Speaker 1: And it was exhausting.
Speaker 5: It didn't matter what energy I put into presenting myself or trying to you know, impress or be.
Speaker 3: Impressed, getting a read just get oh my god, it matter what you were doing I'm going to a wedding. I'm going here. I have a new job.
Speaker 5: I have to you're thinking to yourself, like I wonder if I mean, I wonder that was the whole frontal whatever the hell.
Speaker 3: You're doing grocery store. I wonder when I meet somebody.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like any conversation, just like would you like to go in front of me?
Speaker 4: That was blow. I don't wonder if he is he's trying to handle me. It just doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: But hold on, is this because I feel like this is specific to like, because I've definitely noticed even among like kids, like among my son and his friends, there are some of those kids, boys and girls who are just romantically obsessed. They just come out of the womb and they're right. And then there's like my son doesn't care. He has no romantic feelings at all, never expressed. He's expressed one crush in his life and it was like years ago and it's just a cockpole days otherwise never And it's like, but you see, like there's just distinct personalities. There's some people and I was always one of those kids. And I feel like, Danielle, you were always one of those kids. Will it sounds like you were too. But I wonder if other people, like literally didn't have that thing that we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Indian friends usually have crushes and girlfriends or boyfriends.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's I would say, it's about fifty to fifty. I would say, but there's some of them that are just wired for it and they're just and I'm like, oh, they are going to have an adolescence like mine where they were just either in always in love or fall not a love or just love, just rolling, mating was everything. You know, Yes, I just think that. Then there's other people for whom that's not a concern and it doesn't become a thing. And I think those people are probably a lot more relaxed.
Speaker 4: So much, I know.
Speaker 6: Can I tell you The other night, Adler as we're going to sleep, well he's going to sleep, I'm about ready to leave his room. He goes, Mom, why do some people at my school smell? And I said they what do you? What do you mean?
Speaker 4: And he was like, some people at my school smell? And I said what do they smell?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 4: He was like, I don't know. Good.
Speaker 6: He's like, oh, they smell good, and he was like yeah, and he smells his arm and he goes, I smell like rotten bananas.
Speaker 4: And I go, well, no, you don't.
Speaker 6: You don't smell like rotten bananas, but like, who smells good?
Speaker 4: Like what would?
Speaker 6: And he was like and then he named a girl and I was like okay. And then he named a guy and I was like oh. And I was like, are they wearing something? I'm trying to figure out, like it is it pheromones? Or are they putting cologne on? And so I said are they wearing something? Like does it smell like peach?
Speaker 1: Or and he was like a nice laundry detergent.
Speaker 4: Right, And he was like, yeah, it smells it smells like a thing.
Speaker 6: And I said oh, I said, well it could be just whatever you know they wash their clothes in or their body in, I said, Or they could be adding something to themselves, like a cologne that makes them.
Speaker 1: Which would be pretty intense for what first grade?
Speaker 4: First grade?
Speaker 6: Yeah, start somewhere, baby, And I said, do you do you want to start wearing something that smells good?
Speaker 4: He was like yeah.
Speaker 6: So the next day I gave him like an herbal body oil and he every morning brushes his teeth, puts on his little body.
Speaker 3: He is and looks back.
Speaker 1: You gotta get him a little hammer to start smashing his face. Let's start. You gotta start early. Get those micro fractions.
Speaker 5: He's got jabs already, right, he's got the abs, and now he's caring about how he smells and he's gonna be jelling up with her and.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's uh yeah.
Speaker 6: He also told me before we went to Mexico, he was like, Mom, can I can you buy me a It's like it's a it's a T shirt, but but it doesn't have any sleeves.
Speaker 3: You wanted to tak top?
Speaker 8: You want to?
Speaker 4: I said, you wanna?
Speaker 6: You want a tank top and he was like yeah and uh and then I want to wear it under a baseball jersey but open wow and I said, I said okay, and he goes with a necklace. I said, oh my god, wow sure, and he was like a backwards.
Speaker 3: So he's a backstreet boy.
Speaker 1: He's becoming a boy band member, like just to impress you, and he knows I want it that way.
Speaker 4: It's the cutest. Welcome upon meets World.
Speaker 1: I'm Daniel Fishel, I'm right or Strong, and I'm Wilford.
Speaker 6: Welcome to today's recap.
Speaker 4: Well, it's my turn. I guess all.
Speaker 6: Rotating cast of outside projects from outside of Boy Meets World today, it's my turn. Game Box one point zero is what we are recapping today. This was a movie done by two people I knew pretty well at this point, Scott and David hilden Brand.
Speaker 1: Brothers.
Speaker 4: They're brothers, cool.
Speaker 6: And they did both of the Dorm Days movies, and.
Speaker 1: You were in the second one in the.
Speaker 4: First and the second one.
Speaker 6: Oh, I did both Dorm Days movies, and then this movie came around.
Speaker 4: I think, actually it's possible this was in between one and the case.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so this was after I had done Dorm Day's one. I got the opportunity to do this movie. I loved video games as a kid. I grew up with the original Nintendo, played a bunch of the original Nintendo games. At this point, I had already been very into Tiger Wood's PGA Golf. I was very in the best along with Tony Hawk, pro Skater just obsessed Mortal Kombat.
Speaker 4: So I liked video games.
Speaker 6: I had zero understanding of what the idea was for what the graphics were going to look like like what just I knew what I had been told was like, oh, they showed us, They showed us what it's going to be able to look like. It's amazing that.
Speaker 4: We well, it was.
Speaker 6: Amazing if you consider lots of makeup contour to be a special effect.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it was a very short, very short filming process.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I want to hear about how so you had done Dorm Day's one. Yeah, by auditioning for it and getting the.
Speaker 6: Part they offered each audition I think they offered it to me.
Speaker 1: Uh, and you had a good experience on that.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had said, do.
Speaker 1: You want to star in our next movie? So you didn't have to audition for this.
Speaker 6: And it's funny because I'm trying to remember how like where in the process of Dorm Days it was, because one aspect of Dorm Days I did not have a good experience in is that you know, the there are there are pictures of me on the internet wearing something that I would never in a million years have allowed anybody to photograph me in. And the only reason I was photographed in it was because it was for the cover of the Dorm Day's movie, where, in national lampoon style, we were all supposed to look naked behind a giant sausage. And so they were like, so wear a tube top and wear something short, because then we're going to super high something hide you behind it, and then we're gonna do all these solo shots. And there was it was a full, fully disclosed. These pictures aren't going to go anywhere. Nobody's ever going.
Speaker 4: To see these photos.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be it's completely So I was wearing like a.
Speaker 4: Tube top with no bra.
Speaker 6: I'm wearing a pair of shorts that I have unbuttoned and folded over to make them shorter because I needed to make it shorter to go behind. I would never in a million years. This is no not like a put together up. But it wasn't a choice. It was literally just because it worked with what I was told, the sausage behind the sausage, and then those photos.
Speaker 1: Worked as a memoir title, and.
Speaker 6: That infuriated me, and I was and I was. I was very upset about that, and so had that happened already, I probably would never have agreed to do another movie with them. But then again, I did do Dorm Days too, but I was I did not want to do Dorm Days too, and I.
Speaker 4: Really was Queen Queen Merry one that was a total disaster. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, don't get me wrong when I say I had a good experience, I wouldn't say I had like a great experience, but it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't a terrible experience doing Dorm Days one.
Speaker 1: It was a job and young everybody.
Speaker 5: It was also the time in Hollywood we've all done the mpoon was kind of big, and you wanted, like the American pies were popular.
Speaker 3: They were making people's careers, so that kind.
Speaker 5: Of like a little bit riskue, more adult humor. These are the things that all the actors our age were vying for.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is what we wanted to do. I did Gred Diggers, You did that.
Speaker 5: I mean we all had those movies kind of in our arsenal.
Speaker 1: And then I think this movie too was a type that I participated in as well, which was the we could shoot a whole movie on green screen and it looks great correct before it did actually look before it when everybody basically had after effects and like some simple like you know, the beginnings of what became like Avatar, right, like what they could do with Avatar. Four years later, five years.
Speaker 4: Later, Box Is the original Avatar, but.
Speaker 1: They I got pitched the same thing because I did one of the Pulse movies was was exactly the same around the same time, maybe a little later, or Pulse two or puls three. I honestly don't know, but I'm in one of those. Maybe I'm in both of them. But it was like it was like an audition, and I auditioned and then they were like, it was a small part, but they were like, oh, and the whole thing is we are going to shoot this all, the whole movie on a green screen. And I was like, okay, They're like, we're gonna make it look great. And luckily my part, because it was a small part, wasn't that much green screen work. But apparently there's like two movies, Pulse two and Pulstery that are all green screen and they look like this film.
Speaker 3: This movie looked like it was shot on a net to sketch.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it's just it's just a technology was not there, and yet everybody sort of bought into this idea that you could make a movie so easily, and yeah, like so you probably shot this in what like nine days seven I was going to.
Speaker 4: Say, like I think eleven days were and.
Speaker 1: Action sequences right, Like the script.
Speaker 6: Is warehouse that was all painted green, and I had a briefcase, even an empty briefcase, handcuffed to me the entire time. And let me tell you, I've been handcuffed more than I care.
Speaker 4: They're not comfortable.
Speaker 3: There's just so.
Speaker 6: You're in the same the entire time, pretty much in the same outfit the entire time when you're.
Speaker 1: On the beach, and it's just it's just you would need the entire time, Like, yeah.
Speaker 6: That's and and that makeup and that ponytail hair extensions.
Speaker 3: This this movie was awesome.
Speaker 8: This is arguably the greatest movie I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 6: Let's jump into it. You guys can watch it on the streaming service to Be for free. But I wouldn't suggest it.
Speaker 3: I absolutely would. Writer liked it. Writer loved this movie.
Speaker 5: I's gonna like this movie.
Speaker 1: I actually, I actually don't mind the script.
Speaker 3: I think that there's some movie.
Speaker 1: I think there's some beats in here that I go, you know what, that's actually the only way you could write this, And there's some real character development, there's backstory. I was like, actually, if the effects, yes were good, this is a half decent movie. This is like, I'm like, you took this conceit and you kind of developed it pretty well.
Speaker 5: You also went it was one stereotype, like one like I've seen this in a thousand movies. After I've seen this in the FA that's true, him sitting there watching the old videos of his gio. Okay, this has been a nine billion things. So yeah, I mean it wasn't there was nothing new in the story.
Speaker 1: No, No, I guess not, but I guess. I was just like I was like, well, that's a pretty good break into two. That's a pretty good like all the beat are there that I was like that it needed you know what I mean, it is a complete because a lot of bad movies and you know, actually just don't function as stories. You're like, wait a minute, I don't know what's happening. I don't know whereas this movie has like enough twists and everything does get explained.
Speaker 3: Like I was like too long.
Speaker 1: No, I was like, this is it's you know, like the beats are there. I was like, somebody knows how to write a screenplay. So I wasn't surprised to find out the guy who wrote this wrote the Sonic the Hedgehog movies.
Speaker 4: There's all three of them.
Speaker 1: This guy's gone, Like I could tell. I was, like, there's somebody here that knows what they're doing in terms of like how to make it a functioning movie, whether all those choices were a good idea given the constraints of budget, and you know, no, like there's just way too much pressure put on this movie to be visually stunning in a way that it just couldn't just couldn't.
Speaker 4: Could not be.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No. Charlie Nash is an expert video game tester who escapes reality by playing a mysterious three D fantasy game he received in the mail. It was directed by David Hillenbrand and Scott Hillenbrand. It was written by Pat Casey and Josh Miller, who I can admit is a duo that wrote some very bad movies from my past, but they are now a very big deal in my household. They would eventually transition into writing for animated kid TV shows like Team Hot Wheels and Goal in the Insatiable, but now they've since written all three Sonic the Hedgehok movies, the upcoming fourth installment, and Violent Knight starring David Harber. Oh, so do we think game Box one point zero is their inspiration for later success with another.
Speaker 1: Radio game character.
Speaker 4: Well, then you're welcome.
Speaker 6: Boys starring Nate Richard is Charlie Nash, friend of the show.
Speaker 4: Nate is best known.
Speaker 6: As Harvey on Sabrina the Teenage Witch and is just a great guy all around. He's always been so honest and open about his struggles with being in this business. And if you want to hear a great interview, including some game box talk, you can look up our episode with Nate on all streaming services. And yes, that is Danielle Fischel as Kate and Princess.
Speaker 3: Did I miss the actual credits?
Speaker 5: I didn't actually see any credits at the opening credits.
Speaker 3: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: There's opening credits too, and.
Speaker 6: There's a little world thing that spins. It's as Nate and then Danielle Fisher.
Speaker 3: Did okay, see I didn't see that. I must have had for some reason. I didn't see any of that.
Speaker 4: You must have xd out of the two b apps so.
Speaker 5: Fast with that must have been that thing, because I didn't see the movie just started.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I didn't see who directed it?
Speaker 4: Is the credit? I didn't wait?
Speaker 3: Was there there was Avatar too.
Speaker 4: I doubt it.
Speaker 1: I thought there was opening credits. I'm pretty sure that there might have been.
Speaker 3: I might have just missed it. I just remember.
Speaker 6: I don't remember opening credits, but I remember end credits.
Speaker 4: I saw them at an end.
Speaker 6: Veteran character actor with an incredible name, Trick Kilpatrick is Ronald Hobbs and.
Speaker 1: His name is Patrick Kilpatrick. And then there were two other Patrick rat Patricks. The rat Patrick Patricks.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Hollywood rat Patricks, the Hollywood Patricks just in.
Speaker 6: This movie Killpatrick has been in a lot of movies that Will has seen Toxic Avenger, Death Warrant, Last Man Standing, A Racer Minority Report, and TV shows like Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman, The X Files, Chuck and n c I s New Organs.
Speaker 3: He also missed Under Siege two.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, okay, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Oh and oh my god.
Speaker 5: He was also in Oh, what's that awful karate movie that's the best thing ever with with Eric Roberts. Oh I forget the name of a wolf to find it. But yeah, he's in the second part of that too. He plays the main bag, one of the main bad guys in that, and it's just best best of the best.
Speaker 3: Is that what it was? Best? I think he's in Best of the Best too too.
Speaker 5: I think I think it's best and the best. I could be wrong, but you'll find it.
Speaker 1: I was so funny to watch your brain make that connection. You're like, it's just the best.
Speaker 3: Yes, I said the word that is the thing.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure it is.
Speaker 4: And then we have Patrick Kavanaugh as Peter or.
Speaker 6: Patrick had an impressive TV resume at the time, having appeared on Six Feet Under Fraser and King of Queens, and has since shown up and even more. He plays Smitty on twelve episodes of Mad Men Burrows and twelve episodes of Agents of Shield, and just this year was in six episodes of the buzzworthy show Paradise.
Speaker 4: Is it best of the best?
Speaker 3: Well, it's best of the best too, But I'm pretty sure he's in it. Now I can't find it, dude.
Speaker 5: It's Philip Ray, Eric Roberts, and Chris Penn. It's three martial arts masters. Yes, she was the best. Yes, yes, yes, exactly yeah.
Speaker 6: And then another acting vet, Devon Nixon, plays Sherman. Nixon was in Terminator two, which got me thinking, writer, did you try out for Eddie Furlong's part The Terminator too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't get far, but it was an early early audition that I had to put myself on tape for.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even think I ended up auditioning in person. I think it was just I auditioned multiple times. Yeah, Shiloh and I both auditioned multiple times on tape. And I think the casting director was a legend. What's her name, Finn. Yeah, and she ended up casting Shiloh later in his first movie. And I think it was after Determinator. She had already been cast, so she might have watched Shiloh's tape and that's why she cast him in the movie. She did, and then she remembered me too. She brought me in for stuff all the way up until I was like in my twenties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like some role was just made for a young writer strong. So Nixon played Omar on the Secret Lives of the American Teenager, Kine on Snowfall, and just recently he was basketball legend Norm Nixon on Winning Time The Rise of the Lakers Legacy. Another friend of the show, Patrick Renna, plays Kaplan. Renna is world renowned as ham Porter in the Sandlot and thus is the kid on those T shirts you see that say you're killing me smalls And yes, he is a former Boy Meets World guest star. He played Kyle in season three episode eighteen, Life Lessons.
Speaker 4: He also starred alongside one Writer Strong.
Speaker 6: In the Disney Movie of the Week Summertime Switch. We not only interviewed Renna on this show, we reviewed Summertime Switch for Writers Big Movie Week. So please go listen to that, maybe even instead of listening to this one parasvie.
Speaker 3: You just want to know.
Speaker 5: I love how both of the movies we picked for you guys are you guys?
Speaker 3: And Patrick Renner?
Speaker 1: Patrick Renner I know is in both of them.
Speaker 4: Love Patrick Renner.
Speaker 1: He's great in this movie.
Speaker 3: Actually is.
Speaker 1: Everything well. In Summertimes Switch, he's a little too psychotic. I mean I don't necessarily blame him. It's it's part of the character too, but it's a lot. Where's this? I was like, Wow, Patrick is so good? Yes?
Speaker 3: Ever can just act yeaheah, Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 6: Renna has become a star on social media, more specifically TikTok, where he shows off how great of a dnswer he is. We are all big Patrick Rena fans around here, so shout out to that guy.
Speaker 4: And now I know I was dreading this episode.
Speaker 6: But I did find very two very positive things about game Box. First, almost the entire soundtrack is written and performed by a guy named Ali d Ali Theodore on Trivia. He was a frequent music collaborator of Jensen's Oh totally coincidence, and he has gone on to make music for the Disney Zombies franchise Wow and wrote the Mario rap in Super Mario Bros. Wow, Another Pod meets World connection. He composes a lot of the modern day w WE entrance.
Speaker 3: SONGSZ, so we gotta get him on.
Speaker 1: Also, the lyrics are a little little on the nose. We'll talk about Did you notice the lyrics? Did you, guys notice.
Speaker 3: Fascinated by the visuals?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I had to go back several times to make sure I was hearing the words right.
Speaker 6: My second, very very positive thing about this movie is that it is only eighty three minutes, so it was great. It has that going and I watched it on one point.
Speaker 4: Five guys, let me have it.
Speaker 6: Let me know your early thoughts on game Box.
Speaker 1: Why I've already told you I think I think this movie is you know, incredibly poorly directed and mostly because of money. Like it's not I don't even really blame. It's just the decision to take advantage of special effects that we're not there yet, Like you just didn't have the technology to be there, and so the major choice to like shoot this on green screen and fill in and everything with computer graphics just sucks because those computer graphics aren't and it's it's it's a choice that makes sense given that they're stuck in a video game, but it just is never the stakes are never there, right, You never feel like you're actually in any of these places. They never feel scary. The zombies are one of the craziest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: I mean, so you guys don't know zombies, that's what that's was perfect, that's what that's what digital dancing zombies look like.
Speaker 1: A little it's just like it was like suddenly a music video, you know, like people, I.
Speaker 9: Was like exactly, but it's just everything has this complete fake, you know quality, So it just never feels this never feels like anything's actually happening.
Speaker 1: And so like even though the concept was cool and like yeah, but you just can never get around that. You know, you can never get around the like hokiness of this production choice that just wasn't ready to be there. But like like I said, in Avatar, they pulled off. But that's hundreds of millions of dollars in technology that was super advanced.
Speaker 5: But again, you even back in the day had movies like Tron, which again we were for the.
Speaker 3: Time, but they weren't using computers. Yeah, of course they were the first choice.
Speaker 5: Sure, well, of course it was was one of the first ones to do it, and it was absolutely for the time.
Speaker 3: They did the it was brilliant.
Speaker 4: Well did they have more than sixty dollars.
Speaker 6: Because I'm pretty sure the budget for this movie was about sixty dollars.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this look I love movies like this because they're so bad. Where it's I mean, it looks like it was shot in an etch et, you just sketch.
Speaker 3: Like I said, it sounds like it was recorded on matches.
Speaker 10: Sound is really bad, I mean, it's I can think it was that a choice though, because but it sounded bad even when they weren't in the game.
Speaker 1: I know it was confusing bad. It had the metallic quality to the sound, and I was like but I get that when they're in the game, but outside of the game, it was also doing it. I was like, what's happening? And maybe that was another intentional choice to like blur the lines.
Speaker 3: ITAL think so.
Speaker 5: And so, I mean again, it was it was what it was it. There are certain parts of it that were very fun. Again, again, the idea of being in a video game, and I knew all the video game tropes. Mean, it's like, okay, so he wakes up and it's it's grand Theft Auto. And now now it's like I got what they were doing, but none of the story really made any sense. You never find out where this what this video game is, or where it comes from the point it is.
Speaker 6: So you think they called it one point zero because they were hoping for.
Speaker 5: Us, I think so, yeah, and it is it was just taking one movie trope and putting it next to I mean, every time you see somebody it's from you know they I love when they take things from big one hundred million dollar movies, like you know the in Minority Report when Tom Cruise loses his wife and it's just he just sits there watching his wife on film and that's just the thing you see over and over. But it's just made by himself with like Danielle like the like running through the pre dat. I don't know what it's been in a thousand things. I mean, we did inspire, I think so again. Is it the greatest movie of all time?
Speaker 3: No? Was I entertained for eighty two minutes?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 3: Yes I was.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was absolutely a fun eighty two minute You know, I watch a lot of the for the other podcast, I have to watch a dcom or sometimes two a week, and there's some of those that are the same length eighty two eighty five eighty minutes, and I've got to watch it in like ten minute increments where it's like I can't get through this movie right now.
Speaker 3: This was just I mean, talk about a romp of a film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, turn it on.
Speaker 5: It was loud, it was bad, it was it was great. I fully enjoyed it for eighty two minutes. I really did well.
Speaker 6: Jumping into our recap, the credits roll as we see someone furiously hitting buttons on their video game controller with different clips of games they're playing. We eventually see an ominous piece of equipment that has only one button on it. Start we get a loading screen, slowly progressing in percentage, then speeding to one hundred percent. The title game box one point zero erupts onto the screen.
Speaker 4: We're now in Black Rock, Utah one week ago.
Speaker 6: We're inside of a dark, creepy house and a sleeping young Chris is straight up convulsing in bed, and we catch glimpses of the nightmare he's currently having. He's running for his life as a man in a creepy eyes, wide shut mask and sheathed sword chases after him in a video game level. Somehow his mother, His mother is awoken by the convulsing Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know how.
Speaker 1: She knows, sar somewhere my son is in trouble.
Speaker 6: She's looking at and she and her husband run into their son's room. She tries to wake up Chris, who is now in full speed convulsions. He's stuck in the dream, now sprinting through a tunnel. Just when he thinks he's lost the masked man, the monster appears out of nowhere and slashes him. The boy wakes up for a second with sweat coating his face, then falls right back onto his pillow. His mom says he's not breathing, so his dad calls nine one one as they panic, we zoom in on that weird item with the start button from the credits. It dominantly ominously sits on the boys dresser.
Speaker 1: So then I was like, oh, this is full on nightmare and Elm Street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with the.
Speaker 1: You know if you die in your dreams, And then I was like, oh, you know what, this is like the Ring for video games, which totally turns out to be the case because at the end he passes it along just like when pass the videotape in the ring to somebody else. So you're right. The elevator pitch was if the Ring, yes, was a video game, exactly like a killer video game meets Yah.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 6: Well, we fade out to a desert road. A small tumbleweed rolls into frame. Well you've never seen that before, right.
Speaker 3: No, Tumblewee's brand new, brilliant show a landscape.
Speaker 6: And a mail delivery jeep slowly pulls through the longest driving shot I've ever.
Speaker 5: That's what I knew the direction was going to be bad where they stuck out of about sixty seconds, then finally went and to skip it forward, and so.
Speaker 3: It didn't skip it. It wasn't like three skips where you can do like one, two, three. It was always a while, a while, and then they're like, oh, just skip it, just go.
Speaker 1: That's when you know, that's when you like. When you see that kind of editing, especially this early on, you're like, oh, they were trying to say.
Speaker 3: A movie like they were desperately in post trying to save a movie.
Speaker 1: Like whenever you get. And also when you see split screen to start the movie, but it was literally like here's a guy playing a video game, here's a split screen, it was like, oh, they're just trying to up the ener ty because Casey was not working. They're like yeah, and the music is doing so much here. The music is like yeah, because it's like we're watching a mail truck.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, drive.
Speaker 1: So he's got to be excited.
Speaker 6: This movie's only eighty three minutes and they could have cut a minute.
Speaker 3: Let's him in now it's too short, but here he is.
Speaker 1: My question. It cuts to the hand tied to the wheel. Yes, yes, you get explained.
Speaker 6: No, never, no, And he has one single package for Livery, which is of course the video game console, so we again, who who wants this?
Speaker 4: Who's doing this?
Speaker 5: And also then when he does send it to the new guy at the end, do you need the same hand tied mail person to drive it there?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, let's let's say that all the previous people for this have died.
Speaker 4: No one's ever beaten the game.
Speaker 1: Oh, so is it a dead body being animated? Is it the dead kid from the opening being animate?
Speaker 3: His body?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like, why is he? Why is somebody tied to the thing, and what does that have to do with I don't I don't know.
Speaker 5: And also I'm sorry why let's just jump ahead a little bit why I didn't understand. I thought what it was going to be, which made more sense for for the upping the stakes was whoever you put into the video game with you is also dies in real life? But nope, so they so all his friends were dying around him, but they're fine. So then, but he also doesn't need to put the anyone in there because the game already says his brain knows that's why they have Kate in there, and he didn't have to take a picture of Kate.
Speaker 1: So do we know how why he's targeted? Ultimately? Does it explain? I honestly forgot No. Oh, so we never know what he did wrong or right to deserve this video game torture.
Speaker 5: My guess is what they were trying to establish with the first guy who died and then with this guy is they're trying to seek out the best video game players in the world.
Speaker 1: Right, and the radio going inscribe the radio DJs are discussing mind control via video game. Right, So it's like the idea is that, Okay, some shadowy organization is taking over the world, But why are they targeting their video game players just to test it.
Speaker 3: He's a beta tester, so maybe that's what they're trying to do.
Speaker 6: I kind of thought that maybe something they could have was that they could have laid the foundation for is that these are people who were already maybe depressed people and more susceptible to not wanting to be like willing to give.
Speaker 4: Up their life because they so. But they they don't really set that up.
Speaker 6: They could have in the description of the kid, you know, a depressed kid teger who major another died in a video game.
Speaker 1: You know. I do think that there's a moral there is a sense that you shouldn't play video games too much, right, Like, isn't that the kind of the same way that like they made it his job letting your kid watch too many movies or.
Speaker 3: I mean his job.
Speaker 1: So remember that one character says, you do your job and then you go home and all you do is also play a video games.
Speaker 5: So it's maybe job where he's wasting his life on video games, and like he lost his job because he keeps playing a game.
Speaker 3: I mean something like that was supposed to like this is his job.
Speaker 5: So he's turned a hobby into a profession, which is a good thing, right, So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: The interest so good.
Speaker 6: Now we're at a different house in Los Angeles. Charlie is playing video games in his room. The gameplay looks familiar. It's from those opening credits. There are pictures of him with his girlfriend Kate that's your girl all.
Speaker 4: Over the place.
Speaker 6: Charlie plays as two morning radio hosts talk about the boy who died in Utah, apparently from severed internal organs no external wounds.
Speaker 4: How does that even happen?
Speaker 6: They wonder. Meanwhile, the male jeep speeds down his road. Charlie stops playing and leaves his house looking like the unibomber. He also zips up his sweater about an inch and a half.
Speaker 3: He does.
Speaker 5: It's he goes from it's like he's playing the character of the Unibomber meets Jeffrey Dahmer.
Speaker 3: He had a real Dahmer thing going on too, for a lot was really interesting.
Speaker 6: Charlie arrives at work at TBI Technologies. The morning radio DJs are still talking about this dead kid and how he played a ton of video games. They've come to the conclusion that video games would be a good way to control people's minds. And that's a coincidence because Charlie works as a video game tester. Charlie gets his coffee from the kitchen and mingles with his coworkers about the.
Speaker 4: Games they're working on.
Speaker 6: Charlie is a super freak when it comes to finding bugs and glitches. A man walks in, So, Dave, that's Scott hilen Brand.
Speaker 5: And I figured the second he said a line, I was like, he's friends with somebody, or he's director did in the movie, or he did something to where Yes, that makes helen Brand.
Speaker 6: He says, hey, ladies, it's lunchtime, so good, so it's great time at down.
Speaker 1: Then Patrick Grenna asks him. He goes, you're gonna get lunch at the usual place and then doesn't go with him.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, they're gonna go get lunch, We'll get a scene where we can talk it out or something.
Speaker 5: Now it seems like he had Patrick Granna for five hours. So it's like we got to shoot.
Speaker 1: I feel, you know, Nate is, to Nate's credit, like he is in every frame of this movie, and he has to be basically two different characters, and he's he does a very good job of being very different people. You know, when he's in the game, he's kind of an action star and he looks different.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The presentation is body language, like every all the scenes here, they're just it's whenever you have a character that is sad, my god, it's just not it's a really bad you got to find a way. It's just not fun to watch. And unfortunately it doesn't you know, it doesn't reflect well on him and has nothing to do with the actor because you got to commit. It's just like, find a way to make this active, find a way to make this interesting, because it's just not. It sucks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's too bad. It's also so good. So it's break time at down the cafe. Charlie arrives by himself, and is it really call down?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 5: Is because sweet to the depressed diner, sad.
Speaker 3: Sad sack lunch. Please sad sack lunch.
Speaker 5: I'd like two spoiled eggs and some sad love rotten milk.
Speaker 3: Please, thank you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: He waits for his usual table. He plays more video games on his game boy. He's now only had about five percent of his screen time without a controller in hand. Once seated, he orders his usual one roast beef with extra horse radish on the side, and he runs his hand across the table over a carving that reads Kate and Charlie. We hear Kate's laugh in his head. She calls Charlie Romeo that laugh. It was also a little terrifying as he just sadly stares off in the distance. He heads back to work and one of his co workers, Kaplan, invites him to a double feature Existence and Videodrome Extends, Oh sorry, X six existends and Video Drome Yeah and video.
Speaker 1: Very good movies. One is Yeah, they're both Cronenberg films. They're really really influential and very cool, and they're they're all about video Drome is all about like video videos entering real life, so it's very simp they're both the references that.
Speaker 6: You know, Yes, they have heavily influenced game Box one point yes, which is very good. Meanwhile, back at Charlie's home, he returns from a long day at work and collects his mail before heading inside. It includes that mysterious package we saw earlier mailbox I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: In Lis I know, and they had to add that extra mailbox because there's the mailbox regular size, and they were like, how do we get the package in here?
Speaker 3: I don't know, just get another mailbox? Yep, yep.
Speaker 6: He unpacks all the equipment and on furls of paper, it reads, if you wish to play, put on head set. So he puts it on and we see a laser style grid cover his brain before a skeleton of his face appears and then disappears just as quickly.
Speaker 4: He hears a robot voice.
Speaker 1: This actually, I think pretty effective use of visual effects like that, when you just get a glimmer like that and you're like, ooh, that's that's creepy. I don't like that. Cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then we hear a robot voice, Hello, Charlie, welcome to game Box one point zero. He's been chosen as a beta tester for the Ultimate Gaming Experience, a new technology that customizes a game specifically to him. He's instructed to scan real people from his life to play characters in the game. Charlie thinks this sounds weird, but is interrupted by a call from Kaplan.
Speaker 4: He got a new game in the mail too. It's so much fun, he convinces Charlie to give it a try.
Speaker 5: Okay, So, so whatever this power is that has sent the game video game already manipulate all the people in his life, so he so, then why I can read his memory and just put people in the game like Kate and all stuff who he didn't take a picture of.
Speaker 3: So why did he What is the point of taking a picture of anybody?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I do think there was a point of.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's very maybe this is very deep where the illusion of control, the illusion of you know, you you pick these characters, and then when he refuses to do it, they're.
Speaker 4: Like, we're we didn't want to have to do this.
Speaker 1: It's that idea, right, And I think it's also like who he picks explains something about him right, even though they can read the memories, allowing him to choose, like who the villain's going to be, someone he doesn't like, who his friends are going to be? That is just okay, yeah, you're right, I guess it's just it's just another test to read his brain, probably more to read his choices. Okay, it's like a survey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, a yeah.
Speaker 1: What he should have done is taken a photo of his ex girlfriend, because that's the only no. Because it also can read the memories of her, reads everybody's memory.
Speaker 3: It's so she's there without him doing anything. He already has. They've already faked his.
Speaker 5: Friend calling, So it was like, well then what huh?
Speaker 4: Well, at a different house, it's really good. At a different house, Charlie's guy and.
Speaker 6: Michelle, the typical girl forced to watch boys play video games. She there gathered on the couch. Charlie immediately asks Michelle, mind if I take your picture like a real creepoy and he says it's for a video game, and she says no because she looks terrible, Worth noting she looks great great. Instead, Charlie takes a picture of his friend John with what looks like a.
Speaker 3: Epe pen yep.
Speaker 4: Is that little thing he's holding up a.
Speaker 3: Laser pointer or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe a cat toy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty good production design. Actually that was cool because it's like you're like, oh, this is a weird futuristic looking object. But I don't know. What bothered me about this scene was the amount of video game noise. We get it, they are playing a video game. I don't need to hear it. The entire time was like Jesus Christ's turned down the video game, trying trying to watch him.
Speaker 3: My god, just a down and watch it.
Speaker 6: Who The camera flashes and appears to scan the boy completely. Charlie scans another one of his friends too. Charlie says he's just stopping by, but his friends complain that he needs to be more social, so he promises to come back to their house tomorrow for a barbecue.
Speaker 4: Once he leaves me here, I was like, my god, I hate this guy.
Speaker 3: Like he's so sad.
Speaker 1: I get it. The girl dumped you get over it. I was like, we need to like have a reason to like this guy, and fair enough, here, we get it.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you know she didn't just dump him? Uh uh?
Speaker 3: She did and.
Speaker 1: Here's where I was.
Speaker 3: Like, so they say, miss shooting in the history of his.
Speaker 10: Girl, before you get there, Before you get there, when you find out when somebody says his girlfriend was shot, because she's dead, she was shot and killed.
Speaker 3: They just move on, hold on, so many questions. Somebody was shot? What?
Speaker 4: How? Why? She just lets it go happens?
Speaker 1: Imagine it's not like, Jesus, how many people you know been shot? Like, you want to know about that? You want to like, what tell.
Speaker 5: Me, Jesus, that's especially how it actually happens.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's a crazy story. Let me tell you.
Speaker 3: She walked into a fence.
Speaker 1: This story, she chose the wrong vacant lot to walk into and a cop shot her. Jesus Christ, Oh, you won't believe it.
Speaker 5: Also, you should let him take my picture.
Speaker 1: Charlie's like, she was tragedy. He should be suing the LA b D right now because he could have made millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: That was literally mid laughing. Yeah, let's go to the fence. Charlie. Oh god, what's happening? The worst shooting in history.
Speaker 6: Well, back at Charlie's, he's looking sad as hell.
Speaker 4: It's really good in his living.
Speaker 6: Room watching old videos of him and Kate at the beach. He's chasing her around and telling her to do a sexy dance. We this was freezing when we did so. This was the only time, why was we were ever outside of the real world screen in the real world.
Speaker 1: Well this in the in the shooting are scenes outside of green.
Speaker 4: Screen, outside of green screen.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: And uh and.
Speaker 6: It was freezing, like seven am at the beach and uh, you know, we had approximately one hour and it was like, all right, let's get.
Speaker 4: All the footage we could possibly get.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because that just ketches don't work that well in that cold.
Speaker 3: So we got to Yeah, you gotta get it as much as you can.
Speaker 6: Charlie turns the TV off and she his focus to a framed photo of Kate nearby. He grabs the vap pen and is about to take a picture of her, but he decides against it. Instead, he puts the headset back on, and he learns about his next step to take a picture of who the video game villain will be. The game will be enhanced if he captures someone he truly hates. Charlie grabs a scrapbook and opens it to reveal a newspaper clipping of a police officer. The headline explains he was responsible for a shooting and acquitted of all charges. Charlie gets a black and white flashback of him and Kate jokingly sneaking into a gated area.
Speaker 3: He brought daylight.
Speaker 1: What I have so many more questions now it's it's answering why she was shot. But all it does is create Okay, why were you breaking into a vacant latch together?
Speaker 4: How was this so close to the beach?
Speaker 1: Right? I mean, if it was at night and you were going to break into like you know how some fun sexy times in the place somewhere that you weren't supposed to be.
Speaker 3: If it was, I don't know.
Speaker 1: But why does he shoot you too? Like, my god, let your hands up, you don't reach for anything.
Speaker 4: There's no he was high.
Speaker 3: He was supposed to be high.
Speaker 5: I get that later, but it's still like, it's but.
Speaker 1: What's he's just hanging out in the corner.
Speaker 3: Of doing heroin pills? But if he was like with a group.
Speaker 1: Of other people like sketchy, right.
Speaker 4: Or if we were like what are you doing drugs?
Speaker 6: You know, anything, anything to even make him feel threatened in any way reach mething.
Speaker 3: But it was just you walk. This is the best day ever passed.
Speaker 4: They don't see a cop on the other side. This movie's good.
Speaker 6: And when Kate sneaks in first, the cop tells her to freeze and then shoots.
Speaker 4: Her right in the chest.
Speaker 3: Did you get the squib?
Speaker 4: I did?
Speaker 3: Did you get all scripped up? Did you get did it burn at all?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I okay, that's good. Have you been squibbed ever, rider?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Never, You've never been shot in anything?
Speaker 1: Is that true? I think that's true. I don't think I've ever gotten squibbed. I've been around squibs. I've seen them.
Speaker 4: And you know, when I explain to our dear listeners what a squib.
Speaker 1: Is a mini explosive and with the condom, with the condom full of blood. Yeah, and then it just pops and and and the explosive. Usually they pre rip the clothes too, so their clothes look like they blow out. I mean, they're really not used anymore because now it's all visual effects, so you don't Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's the only time we're back in the day a condom full of blood was a cool thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind I've never been squibbed it.
Speaker 5: Was it's fun too to like, I mean, I've never been fully shot up, but I had one done for And then you've got have you ever been in anything where you were they're shooting like they're ricocheting around you, so it's like a tree is exploding and like popping off things on trees. Like that's fun too. Is that kind of that movie magic, old school movie magic?
Speaker 3: That stuff really neat?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, Kate trust falls to the ground and then Charlie is holding her lifeless in his lap. Back in reality, Charlie angrily takes a picture of the cop and the video game warns him that once he begins his ultimate gaming experience, he won't be able to quit. Charlie takes the warning with a grain of salt and presses the dreaded start.
Speaker 4: Button, and we're now in the game.
Speaker 6: Charlie's body pixel eight and he's wearing an all white jumpsuit against an all white background. His depressed wearing sweats all day vibe has morphed into spiky hair and a smile. The game gives him options of where to start zombie Land, crime Spree, or alien planet.
Speaker 1: And immediately I was like, my gun Crime Spree seems a little insensitive given what we've just seen in your flashback, right, and yet he chooses Crime Spirit that's what he wants.
Speaker 4: Yes, it sounds seems so fun, I think with guns.
Speaker 3: It is, though.
Speaker 5: This is like around the first grand theft auto I think, which is like the biggest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: Your girlfriend was killed?
Speaker 4: How do we an these graphics?
Speaker 3: Uh? Bad?
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good. I like that. That's good.
Speaker 6: Charlie picks Crime Spree and is immediately transported there. Rap music plays as Charlie, now in sunglasses in a hip suit, walks through city streets amongst other pixelated people and speeding cars. He gets new instructions. If he's wounded, a hard icon will restore his health. He has no health meter, so he's going to have to gauge his strength himself. He can use whatever weapon he'd like. And now a newly confident Charlie is adamant. He will learn as he goes. And so the game begins and it's all very grand theft autos.
Speaker 1: We beat up this random black guy and take his car.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, And then it happens, gets into the car.
Speaker 1: And the music kicks in and the song is sane.
Speaker 3: This is not a game.
Speaker 1: Those are the lyrics. This is not a game. First instance of.
Speaker 3: Lyrics Kate was shot, damn good job getting the car. Go the press guy, eat sandwich.
Speaker 6: After the Hijacketsish, he asks the game what the ultimate goal is, and the revoice responds only to stay alive. Charlie finally arrives at a nightclub with a line of people outside. The bouncer recognizes him and leads him to Aushan, who's expecting him. Through narration, we learned that Aushon was a low level hood until someone slashed his throat. Then he came back as a bat. Aushan is practicing in a dojo hidden inside the crowded clouds.
Speaker 1: Always all crowded, all crowd of clubs in the early aughts, late nineties through I feel like you're always a club scene to go meet the drug boss.
Speaker 6: It's just yeah, well they're money, they're money laundering. The villain is wearing that creepy mask the killer and the opening was wearing, and once he takes it off, we see that it's the.
Speaker 4: Police officer who killed Kate.
Speaker 6: Charlie is told he'll need to retrieve a briefcase for the villain, and when he questions why, he's told he has no choice on his way out, Charlie casually accept a gun is just on his way here.
Speaker 1: Then he beats up somebody else it takes their motorcycle, and the music says, I am the man. I do just what I want to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the sun.
Speaker 6: Well, he steals the motorcycle and he ends up in a tough south Side neighborhood. He spots some bad guys holding the briefcase hostage, so he ducks for cover and finds some extra health for later. With that, he makes a bee line to the criminals and opens fire, only to find out a character he has killed has one of his friend's faces. Charlie's disturbed and asks the game to wipe all the data he uploaded.
Speaker 4: But it's just not possible.
Speaker 5: See and this is when I thought it was gonna be like, oh, and now so he's actually killing his friends.
Speaker 3: He just killed his friend.
Speaker 1: That's not a bad twist, it was that happened.
Speaker 5: I also did like the fact and I thought this was it was interesting they blew past it, but that he didn't get any special powers for being in there. It's like just what you got. It's like, that's it, right, that's it, which was interesting. It's like, yeah, it's it's actually you. We're not making you super strong or any of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: That makes sense, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Charlie continues with his mission anyway, and retrieves a key to unlock the car trunk. As soon as he opens it, he finds Kate.
Speaker 4: She's alive.
Speaker 6: She asks Charlie to help her out, but she doesn't recognize him or respond to her name, and then he's shot. He falls to the ground and he feels actual pain. He asks the game why it hurts, and they simply explain, well, he's been wounded. He asks to leave the game, but he's reminded he can't quit. The gunman is inching closer and closer, so Charlie quickly rattles off exit, pause, quit, whatever I have to say, and then flash, he's back in the real world, so you can't quit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it only gives him one more chance after this.
Speaker 5: Right, But if he decided to not put the thing back on again, then that would have just been it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So you can't.
Speaker 1: Know because later it just enters his life. He's back in just because he's in a coma.
Speaker 5: Right, But I think that's because he goes back in a second time, and then he quits again, and after that is when the flashbacks really start to get him, or the hallucinations really start to get him. He's seing a little bit, but if he just never puts the thing on again, then he's done.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you're right that this time they let him quit. And then the like to writer's point, the voice says, we can't keep helping you, Charlie. Right, so they've helped him this time, but yeah, you can't quit at least once.
Speaker 3: Okay, just trying to get the rules down. They seem a lot.
Speaker 6: Buddled, really, it's good depressed looking. Charlie springs up, holding his shoulder in disbelief. He takes the helmet off and notices it's already nine thirty six in the morning. He rushes out of the house to his car, dropping his keys along the way, and when he stands up from retrieving them, he sees the gunman in the reflection of his window.
Speaker 3: This is where they also missed something.
Speaker 5: He should have gotten up, and once he gotten up, he should have been like ah, like his shoulder h like they Actually it still hurts in the real war, like the guy who's all his organs were liquefied by the fake sword or whatever in the beginning, right, there should have been some damage in the real world due to what's happening.
Speaker 3: In the game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, He quickly turns around, but no one's there. He gets into his car and speeds off to work. And then we're at TBI Technologies. Charlie rushes in and asks Kaplin if he experienced and anything weird with the game, but Kaplin has no idea what he's talking about. He claims he never even called Charlie yesterday. And this is also when I noticed Caplin has a large poster of a sandwich in his cubicle.
Speaker 4: Sweet, I know needs that I do.
Speaker 6: Their supervisor walks into scold them and tells Charlie he looks like crap. Then, after sending a single email, Charlie pulls out his wallet to look at a picture of Kate holding birthday balloons.
Speaker 1: This is where he says the email, there's something about level four. There's a I.
Speaker 3: Want to look at Kate again.
Speaker 1: You just cut to Patrick Renner pulling out a sandwich picture in his wallet.
Speaker 3: Remember when I ate this last.
Speaker 5: Cowich breaking into it too, like a company picking the cop shooting it like.
Speaker 11: Oh god, my sandwich just holding sad.
Speaker 4: Music plays in the background because she did.
Speaker 6: And then when we're back at Charlie's house, Charlie's staring at the terrifying new video game helmet and confusion. When the phone rings it's his friend from the barbecue. Charlie blows them off and puts the helmet back on before he's transported back into the game. He asks if Kaplin really called yesterday. The robot game voice explains they just made him hear what he needed to hear. Charlie asks to be put back in the game so he can see Kate again, and so we are back in the game world Charlie picks up.
Speaker 1: So it seems like there's this whole free will element that's like necessary, and I do think that's story wise. It is right, like if he was just trapped from the moment night he put on the thing the movie, would he used to want to go back. Yes, he has to want to go back in and keep choosing it just for the sake of story. But you're right, for real logic reasons if the video game was truly an evil mind control device, it would have just trapped him the second and put it on and be done. And it's never explained why it would give him the option of fruit like to.
Speaker 4: Not Why why does it seem to him to choose it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Why does it? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Like, Also, I'm assuming did they not do this for the kid who before him?
Speaker 4: Like did they did? They were they hoping for someone? Maybe the point of the.
Speaker 6: Game is actually to fix your life, so they do want you to win?
Speaker 3: Well, it keeps saying.
Speaker 5: One of the lines he keeps saying, is this is not a punishment Charlie, right, Like.
Speaker 3: Why are you doing this to me?
Speaker 1: And he does win, right, I mean he wins by beating the game at its own game, Like, he doesn't play by its rules. He you know, finds a way to like sort of best it. And then it's like impressed by that and sets him free.
Speaker 6: Well, not only does it set him free, but then Charlie sets himself free from living this depressed right.
Speaker 5: He decides video game Kate kind of comes back in another form exactly yeah, or is.
Speaker 1: He still in the simulation for the rest of his life At the.
Speaker 5: Ends that's the after after ending, is just still him in the hospital bed exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's what nymarn El Street does. Right, It's like we're we think he's gone, and then we're still in the dream at the end.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Charlie picks up from exactly where he was shot. He uses his health to get back to normal, then shoots the gunman and rescues Kate. Now with the briefcase briefcase cuff to Kate in the passenger seat, he speeds off in the bad guy's car. Kate breaks the news that her name is actually Princess and she's a real cold fish to him.
Speaker 1: So in the script, did it say princess for all eights? All right, princess?
Speaker 6: It's a princess, lash Kate? Really yeah, if I remember correctly, I have a terrible memory.
Speaker 3: So take that with a great Do you remember making this script?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 6: I do not have a copy of the script. I wonder if Nate does, I hope. So she asks it's really good. She asks how long Charlie's worked at the observatory, and then quickly realizes he isn't there to save her. He's there for the briefcase. Charlie says he's going to aushan and she scoffs, then punches him, causing him to swerve to the side of the road.
Speaker 1: The whole like the princess who's there to be saved. But then she's like, screw you.
Speaker 3: And she's certainly not Kate.
Speaker 5: This is not a woman who just gets shot walking into an abandoned lot princess.
Speaker 6: She jumps out and walks away, but he's able to quickly catch up because she does not walk very fast. He promises he won't hurt her and suggests they go somewhere they can be alone. She assumes he means for sexual relations, but he clarifies just to talk and eat. Then he shots the familiar depressed dude cafe.
Speaker 4: They transport inside.
Speaker 3: I'll take the prosta. Everybody depressed all the time.
Speaker 6: They both ordered the same thing, a roast beef sandwich with extra horseradish on the side. Charlie asks her, and it all aligns perfectly with Kate's. Then he he notices that Kate and Charlie carving is on the table. Charlie asks about the briefcase she's cuffed too, but all she'll say is that it needs to go to the professor at Blue Mountain Observatory. Charlie then notices some shady people in the cafe and realizes they're being ambushed. He tries to leave with Princess, but is again shot. He ends up with a gaping hole in his chest, laid out on the floor, and the screen turns red. Charlie is immediately transported back to an earlier scene in the diner. When Princess refuses to tell him what's in the briefcase, we see that Charlie lost one of his three lives. He begs the game to stop, but they remind him he can't quit. The scene replays, and this time when a bullet is barreling toward his head, the game pauses. The robot voice reveals this is the last time they will help. We're back in the.
Speaker 3: Real Carold Yeah twice.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: Charlie wakes up and instantly throws the helmet and equipment back into its box. He's exhausted, he has no idea why, so he decides to take a shower, but once he's in the bathroom, he gets paranoid and shouts out, hello, is anybody there? When there's no response, he resumes showering, but then the waiter from the diner appears and shoots him from point blank range, but he's gone as quickly as he appeared. It was apparently just his imagination. Now outside, Charlie looks around warily and walks to his car, eventually holding up his hands and commanding keys, but he's not in the game. He laughs to himself and then returns to his routine. It's good at TBI Technologies again. His supervisor Mark asks if he's high.
Speaker 1: Here's what I was a little confused because he's never had to ask for keys in the game either.
Speaker 6: No, no, but he's never because he just grabs, he beats people up for cars.
Speaker 1: He never has to have keys, so it was a little weird that he's suddenly asking for Right, they.
Speaker 6: Could have put a couple instances of keys and something into something in there.
Speaker 4: It's still good though.
Speaker 6: His supervisor Mark, he asks if he's hung over. Charlie says no, then asks if he's heard of any new virtual reality systems. Mark says Nintendo's working on goggles, but he knows nothing about what Charlie's received. Charlie's back at his desk testing another video game, but he keeps almost falling asleep. Finally, his eyes shut and he hears the monologue voice from the game. He has slipped back into the game. He's in the diner with Princess, just as they're about to be ambushed. The robot voice explains he doesn't even need the headset anymore. Charlie acts fast, but he lost all his weapons when he died, so he secures the waiter's gun and shoots both bad guys before they can make a first move. He grabs Princess to leave, but he freezes and his nose starts bleeding. Back to the real world, Charlie's asleep at work and his friend is nudging him and to wake him up. It's time for lunch. Charlie's not hungry. He heads for the breakroom for coffee, but when his supervisor Mark walks up behind him, Charlie's vision blurs and he sees him as a character from the game. His reality and the Crime Spree game are morphing together. Charlie drops the coffee pot and it shatters everywhere. Mark notices that his employee is freaking out, and he asks if he's on something. Charlie says no, but admits it feels like he hasn't slept in weeks. Mark tells him to go see a doctor and to get some rest. And now we're at doctor Blake's office. Charlie's visibly ill, sweating and rocking back and forth. The nurse informs him there are no more appointments available today, but he begs for help. She can only pencil him in for next Thursday at ten am, but if he's really as sick as he claims, he should go to the hospital next door. Charlie starts hallucinating again, seeing the receptionist's face as a clown, so he runs out of the office as fast as possible, only to find a gunman standing at the end of the hallway.
Speaker 5: But I love how he freaks out. He's obviously having the worst day. She looks awful, and the lady's like, are you all right?
Speaker 3: I know it's like you come out at doctor's office freaking out.
Speaker 4: I need to see the doctor.
Speaker 3: Hey y.
Speaker 6: He convinces himself no one is there, and voila, he's gone. Charlie runs into the elevator and asks the game if he's currently playing. It says no, which feels like a lie. Then the elevator crashed and Charlie grabs the emergency phone. A demented voice screams at him, we can't let you leave, Charlie. Then out of nowhere, the cop sprints at him and holds him up by the throat. He threatens you can't escape me, and then disappears. Charlie holds onto the railing for dear life. Just as the elevator returns to normal, he steps out to see a man standing right outside.
Speaker 4: Charlie jumps at the side.
Speaker 6: Of him, but it's just a normal dude, so he snaps out of his paranoia and walks away. Outside the doctor's office, Charlie is limping towards his car when he sees that a cop is giving him a ticket. He tries to explain, but when the cop turns around, we see it's Kate's killer. The cop asks what his problem is, and Charlie laughs. He thinks the game is messing with him. He sounds like he's losing his mind, but the cop finds it amusing. He stuffs the ticket in Charlie's pocket and tells him he knows exactly what Charlie needs. He pushes Charlie into an alley and grabs a bag of drugs hidden underneath a staircase.
Speaker 1: All right, so he's a crooked cop selling drugs, yep. But he decides that Charlie is going to buy drugs for him just based on his behavior.
Speaker 4: He thinks he's tripping, he thinks he's.
Speaker 1: On drugs, and therefore he needs more more. Yeah, yeah, Wow, that's an aggressive crooked cop.
Speaker 6: Yeah awesome, he offers Charlie uppers, downers, laughers, screamers, or ticklers.
Speaker 4: It's good. Charlie finally realized.
Speaker 1: To ask, I want to know what tickler is.
Speaker 10: I can get you.
Speaker 8: I got a tickler guy.
Speaker 6: Charlie finally realizes the cop is real. With this new revelation, Charlie yells, you killed my girlfriend. How could you think a seventeen year old like Kate had a gun? The cop responds by pushing him against a wall. He says Kate's death was an accident, but considering the cop just tried to sell him drugs, Charlie assumes he was high when it happened. The cop punges him in the stomach, and Charlie collapses to the floor, gasping for air. Charlie starts to hallucinate again, and the screen goes black. Now we're at the hospital, Charlie hooked up to machines, with a doctor and a nurse trying to wake him. The hallucinations start again, and Charlie is back in the game, looking at his hospital bed as an observer. He hears Princess's voice and is thrown back into the cafe where he killed those two men. He spots Aushan at the front door, so he grabs Princess and runs downstairs. They get to a tunnel that looks like and sounds like the inside of an intestine. Aushan and his sword are right on their tail. Charlie directs Princess through a floating window, and while he shoots at the bad guy over and over and over again without even one successful hit, they escape through first a cloud like portal, then into a tornado looking portal, and then finally they land in a desert landscape, her on top.
Speaker 5: Of him on the annoying I am blocking the bullets with the sword raw.
Speaker 4: Chef's kiss, Yeah so good.
Speaker 6: Princess is straddling Charlie and half heartedly thanks him for saving their lives. Confused about their new surroundings. Charlie confirms with the game that he only has four bullets left. Charlie calls this is the worst game he ever played, but Princess has no clue why he thinks this is a game. She reminds him how important the briefcase is, but she still won't tell Charlie what's in it. They here growling in the distance. Just as they wonder what it is, they are attacked by a shadowy human figure that has holes for eyes.
Speaker 5: Yes, this is when they really the graphics really started to kill. Yeah, I mean when I was like, now now they've gone once, you've gotten a zombie land. I'm like, okay, I mean my gosh.
Speaker 1: So on set, were you seeing anything about like.
Speaker 6: I'm pretty sure these were just people in blue suits suits? Yeah, was to capture.
Speaker 1: No, this wasn't her at the time, right, Yeah, so they were just jumping around you guys. Yeah, wow, that's hard to but I guess I meant were you seeing like visuals of what those like the world was looking like. So you just were told like this is a door and there's a jump all around you in the.
Speaker 4: Oh No, we weren't even told that. It's just like and now you've fallen and you're in another world.
Speaker 1: And yeah, were you, like, what was the vibe on set? Were you and taking it seriously and like committed to it, or were you guys like just kind of goofing off and then being like, oh, we're rolling. I guess we got to do this silly scene because he's you know, I feel like he's taking it pretty seriously. Yes, we were.
Speaker 4: We were taking it pretty seriously.
Speaker 6: There were, of course, moments where we were either frustrated or very tired or at Ma's capacity for being able, and we would then privately be like, oh my god, I can't believe we're doing this, Like I have to go run around. By the way, all the running we're in not that big of a space. We were running in circles, just running in circles in different different directions, running in circles, and I have a handcuff on carrying a briefcase and just you know, and then bullets and this alien guy and and being told the graphics, the graphics are great.
Speaker 3: It looks it's gonna look where it's going to look good. So you have to commit, you have to believe in the fantasy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I will say Nate and I became. We were very bonded.
Speaker 6: We were very bond We were it was just the two of us for days on end right, and I mean eighteen hour days, oh wow, full, long, long days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was not.
Speaker 4: It was not an easy process, but it didn't go on for very long. Thankfully. It is good though.
Speaker 6: Princess kills it just before it can devour Charlie and they realize these are zombies.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a couple more questions about with h Okay, are there dressing rooms? What's going to do?
Speaker 4: We had trailers? We had we did had we at honey wagons.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, because I mean I've definitely been on films where there's literally no dressing rooms. There's dressed there, there was sitting on set. Okay, so you had trailers.
Speaker 3: Was this film? Was it thirty five millimeter film?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: No, I don't it was early digital? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, sure, I don't like films.
Speaker 3: Or TV or video game?
Speaker 1: Are there eighties a script supervisor? Like? Is there a crew? A full crew?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: There is a very small crew.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: There was you know, hair and makeup, Okay, Uh, there was a wardrobe person. There was a script supervisor. There was a script supervisor.
Speaker 1: But the lighting is just sort of basic, like they set up they just light you guys in the room, and then you're just in an empty room running around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, yes, I'm the lighting. I am lit. Like the lighting. Okay, a ring light, throw some light on there, they're lit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but all practical props. You're holding guns, you're doing that.
Speaker 4: It's like we're holding fake guns. My briefcase was real.
Speaker 6: My briefcase was real, real handcuffs, yeah, okay, any other questions writer.
Speaker 4: No, cool, not yet.
Speaker 1: That gave me a good image of like, you know what we're doing.
Speaker 5: I do.
Speaker 6: One of the other things I remember is the the window that we crawl through and stuff was a uh, just just a window all by itself, so in the middle, just picture in the empty room, like a staircase, a ladder, a wood ladder, and then a window, a wood would very basic window, like, oh we need a window. Let me, do you have four pieces of wood? Let me, I'll build a window and then us diving through it. Which another thing is that you know practically also is kind of painful.
Speaker 4: No stunt people, No, you have a whole stunt crew on this. No stunt crew did all our own stunts. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 6: He asks why they're in zombie Land when he shows crime Spree, and the robot voice reveals they'll end up in every game if they play long enough. Charlie manages to kill all five zombies with just four bullets remaining, but then more zombies appear in the distance, so they make a run for it. Soon after they leave, Aushon gracefully floats down from the sky and kills all the zombies with his sword and a smile. Meanwhile, Charlie and Princess are grasping for why.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sorry, why is he? Isn't he the bad guy?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 5: Why is he killing all the zombies? Isn't he supposed to be like the main bad guy? So shouldn't all the other bad things in the world be working with him?
Speaker 3: Him more for him?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I guess because it's a different world, they aren't.
Speaker 1: He's trust first, right by killing him?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 1: Oh right, it's just so good, it's yeah, I mean, that's the problem. All logic goes out of the window. Once the video games in charge of everything and in charge of all the characters within its own context, and.
Speaker 5: Why wouldn't he be the head of the zombies the same way he's the head of all the guys in crime Spree and then the head of the alien because he's the mad bad guy.
Speaker 6: Isn't it though, that in every world they want the briefcase, right, they're only working for Aushan in crime Spree. Crime Spree is the bad guy for I mean, Aushan is the bad guy from Crime Spree. He beats Crime Spree and Aushan somehow manages to follow them into this world where the zombies there's a new bad guy now not Blue Mountain Observatory, but Blue Mountain Industries. Someone else wants the briefcase, but Aushan is like, no, it's mine, and he follows them into this world. So those zombies actually aren't going to listen to Aushan. They're going to listen to whoever they're bad guy.
Speaker 5: What if he picked because they tell him at the beginning, pick your main bad guy, So what if he didn't pick crimes for you? What if he started with zombie and he still picked the cop, then I don't know.
Speaker 1: We should meet that guy. So basically every game should have a bad guy that's the cop of the cops, and they could be partnering up from game to the.
Speaker 3: Zomb That's a great rewrite.
Speaker 1: That's a great right. Let's go back and punch punch the script.
Speaker 4: Too bad. I wasn't talking to you guys during this time. We could have really could have made this better.
Speaker 6: Meanwhile, Charlie and Princess are gasping for air as they continue to walk through a never ending jungle. The lands then turns into a digital grid, then into green trees and an old, spooky house. Charlie suggests they stop inside for a moment. Once through the front door, they spot a single axe lying on a table, and Charlie decides he can use it to break Princess free from the briefcase, but she won't let him. Charlie points out all the reasons this is obviously not real life. He downplays her as just a character who resembles someone that was very important to him, and then, as she insists she's not a character, someone runs into the house. It's not a zombie or au Shuan, it's Charlie's friend, Peter. Peter appears real and he knows Charlie and Kate. When Charlie was found by cops unconscious in an alley. Peter ran to his apartment, saw the headset and put it on. The game led Peter to the scary house, but Charlie's still having a hard time believing this story. He gets confirmation from the robot voice that he is telling the truth. Then, with the zombie shrieks getting closer, they decide to make a run for it. Carefully sneaking out of the house, we get an insane chase scene with the kids running through a foggy jungle at warp speed. Yes, will I have a question?
Speaker 3: Why give him two sets of friends? Why do you need friends? At work?
Speaker 5: And then the whole other barbecue friends? Like why isn't Patrick Renna and all the video game guys?
Speaker 3: Why aren't they.
Speaker 4: Because the budget was so big, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And why do you need two sets of friends? What was the point of the two sets of friends?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Because Patrick Rerenna never gets into video the video game land You've got Patrick rennaw, why would you not.
Speaker 3: Use him in the video game? I think you were right. They only had Patrick for like I think had him for three hours or whatever.
Speaker 5: We can shoot out this because it doesn't make any sense to give him two sets of like, why give him two.
Speaker 3: Sets of friend?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 6: Now walking Princess's feet hurt, but Charlie knows they must find this observatory to end the game. We also see that au Shun has perched atop the old Scary house, sniffing the air to find the kids, and it is maybe the worst special effect in the whole movie. In the fog, Charlie notices a tombstone on the floor. It says Blue Mountain Enterprises, which is where they need to take the briefcase. But Princess reminds him they need the observatory, not the enterprises. This might just be a coincidence. Charlie reminds her it's just a game. The names change in between the levels. Who cares, But then another person appears. It's a character that has the face of Charlie and Peter's friend Sherman. Sherman tells them that their experiment has went totally wrong. Apparently the whole place is flooded with zombies and it's a massacre down there. Charlie asks what Blue Mountain is, and Sherman says it's a military research facility built underground. Sherman found an escape tunnel to enter. The three of them leave Sherman behind for the tunnel, and now Shun is still right behind them.
Speaker 5: So it's supposed to be the what's the big famous one where they've made tons of movies on it with nili Jovich. Underground Resident Evil. That's what it's supposed to go from from GTA to Resident Evil.
Speaker 6: Then we're in the underground tunnels. Charlie, Princess and Peter here growling in the distance and decide to turn around. But once they start running, a pack of zombies try to keep pace. The kids fight and a ladder to climb, and Peter just manages to escape.
Speaker 4: They get a shoe.
Speaker 6: Now the three of them have emerged on alien planet, a Sepia toned wasteland. A heart arrives and Peter takes it all for himself, prompting an argument between the boys. It's calmed when a bracelet appears and Charlie knows he deserves it. Two armed soldiers arrive and see Charlie's bracelet. It's an alien shield band. They assume he's an alien, but then they take one look at Princess and stand down. The stories they've heard about her were true. The soldiers are ready to retrieve the briefcase, but Charlie gets in the way, insisting she's with him.
Speaker 4: Princess argues that she is, in fact not with him, and then an explosion.
Speaker 6: It's a UFO flying overhead and it kills one of the guards, so Charlie picks up his blaster. Charlie's bracelet creates a force field protecting them from the et gunfire. Then a fleet of UFOs head directly toward them. They all duck behind a rock and it becomes a real standoff of gunfire. They learn the briefcase holds a weapon and Blue Mountain is where the Temple of Alena is. Peter begs Charlie for his act for protection, and Charlie reluctantly hands it over, and to everyone's shock, Peter immediately swings the axe at Princess's wrist, taking off her hand with absolutely no blood.
Speaker 3: And your cry out was magical, just magical, was great.
Speaker 6: He grabs the briefcase and flees, why did he have to chop my hand off?
Speaker 4: Why didn't you just.
Speaker 3: He's always easier to go through the wrist than it is to actually go through the chain.
Speaker 1: Oh really, you're not real, so it doesn't matter. It's all the game.
Speaker 5: Its real to Charlie, and why the game get to steal his health pack, Like the game can give him a health pack but then have a fiction another character.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Also, I figured he was the actual real guy and he kept saying, God, my wrist is getting worse, that he was bitten by a zombie, was going to turn into one and attack.
Speaker 4: I know, I thought so too. He's like, how it really hurt? So that's where I thought this was going.
Speaker 6: Which, by the way, so they subverted one of the tropes that you didn't like.
Speaker 4: You know, something you see all the time? Got it?
Speaker 3: Cutting it?
Speaker 4: It's good. He grabs the briefcase and fleas.
Speaker 6: Charlie carries Princess away to a nearby cave as fighter jets destroy all the aliens. Charlie wants to get her some health, but she begs him to find the briefcase instead. He instructs her to stay awake and runs out of the cave. He's furious at the robot voice for lying about Peter. That wasn't fair. The game reminds him that life isn't fair. In response, Charlie sits on the floor, rocking back and forth like a child having a tantrum.
Speaker 3: Yes, literally, I know.
Speaker 4: Not gonna do it, not doing it.
Speaker 3: I'm not playing ring, I'm not playing you get me.
Speaker 6: If the game won't play fair, then he won't play at all. He's just gonna wait to be killed. And then when an alien sneaks up with a gun and is about to shoot Charlie, he uses the bracelet to create a force field, and as a result, he kills the alien.
Speaker 4: Make up your mind, Bud. Charlie sees some health atop.
Speaker 6: A mountain, so he climbs it free solo style and finds the other soldier already up there dead. Peter killed him, and then someone shoots at him.
Speaker 4: It's Peter. The two exchange gunfire way too close of range, four.
Speaker 3: Feet from each other, just shooting at each other. It's the best why.
Speaker 6: Charlie asks Peter why he wants this briefcase. Peter reminds him that he only exists in this game, so he can't let anyone ever open it. They both start climbing to get that health icon, but Peter gets there first. In a last ditch effort to save Princess, Charlie shoots him in the head, completely dissolving everything above his neck. Unfortunately, the health heart vanishes. Defeated, Charlie ditches his gun and jumps off the cliff into free fall, killing himself on purpose.
Speaker 4: We cut back to the hospital.
Speaker 6: Charlie is flatlining in real life, but when he reappears in the video game, his health is restored, so now we're back on alien planet. Charlie is racing back up the mountain to get the health before Peter. This time he manages to blow off Peter's head before he flees with the goods, but when Peter dies, the briefcase is flung from his grasp and projected off the cliff, right.
Speaker 4: Into out Shun's hands.
Speaker 6: Charlie did get the health though, so he rushes back to the cave and gives it to Princess, but the robot voice informs him that health can only help the wounded, and Princess is dead. Charlie has a flashback montage of Kate princess memories and informs the game that he wants to give her his last life. With that, Princess wakes up to Charlie's kiss, which is a decision. She tells him not to get too carried away and calls him Romeo, just like Kate did. Also, Princess's hand is back thanks to the health art. He reminds Princess she isn't real, She's just his memories of Kate's memories. She exists to motivate Charlie to not give up the game. But when she finds out Aushan has the briefcase, she's Adam and they get it back. There's a weapon inside and if anyone other than her opens it, it could blow up everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, this is where I think the script needed to insert that there was an anti video game, like a virus inserted into the game from an outside source. Like, Oh, turns out the Blue Mountain Industries is actually a competing video game company. Yeah, that has inserted itself into the evil video game, and that he can work with that company, right, because otherwise it's all so self contained, like she's part of the game. It's all part of the game, so there's no escaping it's yeah all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah. He also killed himself and then comes back to restart playing the game and wants to give her his last life.
Speaker 3: Somebody that he's already part of the game, right.
Speaker 6: Aushan returns and wards off bullets with his sword. Yeah, your Will's Favor part.
Speaker 3: I love it, I love it so much.
Speaker 6: Charlie and Princess make a run for it, falling down a hole and write into a video game version of Charlie's apartment. Princess notices the pictures of Kate and then suddenly they're in the hospital. They see Charlie lying on the bed with his friends all around him. The game wasn't lying. He is in the hospital. Aushan appears in the hallway, so they run away again, now into an underground seller. Charlie has four bullets left and finds out no no one has ever beaten this level. We cut to a doom like first person shooter and aw Shun is now toying with them in the cellar. He slices into Princess's back and Charlie unsuccessfully fires three of his bullets, and when he attends to Princess's cut, he notices a blue mountain tattoo on her back. Charlie finds a health heart and wants to give it to Princess, but she begs him to take it instead, Charlie comes up with a plan. He turns off all the lights and tells Princess not to move. Aushon notices the abandoned heart health and makes his way toward it, and so Charlie finally gets a clear shot of him and shoots him right in the chest with his last bullet. Before Aushon dies, he looks at Charlie and gargles out in his demented voice, fudshot. Charlie grabs the heart and refills his health just as Princess grabs the briefcase. But the game isn't over. He asks the robot voice if he should open the briefcase, and it says no. Princess thinks they need to take it to the observatory, but Charlie realizes that Blue Mountain is just a red herring. Princess has had the tattoo for as long as she can remember, so he realizes she's the final destination. Princess thinks it could be a trap, but Charlie needs her to trust him. She opens the case and whatever is inside is glowing. It's the game system, but instead of start this one says end if Charlie presses it, the whole world will cease to exist. He slams the briefcase shut. He can't let Princess disappear. He wants to be with her. She reminds him that he wants to be with Kate, not her. Nothing is real inside the game. Maybe she can even find her way back to him. She feels it in her heart.
Speaker 4: This isn't goodbye.
Speaker 6: She kisses him and he starts to cry. She moves his thumb to the end button and they press it together. Everything goes bright white, and Charlie is back to where he started. The voice reveals that he's beaten the game and asks if he'd like to play again. Charlie says no, and they exchange goodbyes, and then back in real life at the hospital, Charlie wakes up and the nurse runs to get the doctor now alone. However, the evil cop walks in and tells Charlie that if he ever reveals the truth about what happened in the alleyway, he will hunt him down.
Speaker 3: Because he was just so like. He wakes up a acma to the cop, like listen to.
Speaker 1: Me, man, to shut your mouth.
Speaker 6: When the nurse returns The cop shows off a big fake smile and nods to Charlie, confirming that they understand the agreement. The cop leaves and the nurse says he came by every single day to see if he was awake. Charlie asks how long he's been out, and the doctor says four days. They ask if he remembers what happened to him, and Charlie lies says no. Peter drops Charlie off at home and mentions they're having a barbecue this time.
Speaker 4: Charlie agrees to come keep a barbecue all the time.
Speaker 6: Later, at the Sad Sack Cafe, Charlie walks in now with styled hair, a new wardrobe, and a little pep in his step. The waitress is happy to have him back. His usual table is occupied, but Charlie says he'll just sit somewhere else he needs to change things up. At a new table, he meets a cute young waitress named Pamela. When she asks what he'd like to order, he tells her to pick. Pamela decides he should get the roast.
Speaker 3: Beef with ax, and he looks at her. He goes, there's this great abandon lot I'd love to take you to.
Speaker 6: Charlie's face lights up and invites Pamela to his friend's barbecue later. Unfortunately, Pamela's pulling a double shift tonight, but if he comes by tomorrow they'll see what happens. She calls him Romeo, just like Kate and Princess used to. Then, to really drive the point home, the other waitress calls out to Pamela as Princess. Charlie laughs to himself, and then Charlie walks into the barbecue and his friends are thrilled to see him. Peter asks if he's brought his new game system, and Charlie says no, he gave it to an old friend.
Speaker 3: Manly garage with a motorcycle and drinking a beer.
Speaker 6: Cop is drinking a beer while listening to the heavy metal He unwraps a familiar.
Speaker 1: Didn't listen to the lyrics at this point, but I wonder if there if they are lyrics, I'm sure they were evil cops sitting.
Speaker 3: Down the kid. I hate people, people hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He places the headset on his head and he's welcome to the game, and then.
Speaker 4: The credits start to roll, and that is game.
Speaker 1: Box, Game Box.
Speaker 3: I have a pitch all right, okay, I have a pitch. So Airplane, the movie Airplane.
Speaker 5: What they did they went and they actually got an actual script of a real movie that existed, and they added at all the jokes we still know basically the whole cast of Game Box.
Speaker 3: To shoot it.
Speaker 5: Very small amount of money, we could turn this into the one of the best comedies, like with like Patrick Renna holding the ham Sandwich.
Speaker 3: As we would have to, we can.
Speaker 1: Use all of that. We probably have to use a I to do all the visual effects, though, unless how much praise the millions dollars, I don't.
Speaker 3: Think we'd have to. I'm saying the effects are so bad that we could.
Speaker 1: Keep them this level. But even that requires some I mean somebody put in the work.
Speaker 3: For this movie.
Speaker 5: I agree, But I bet you, for not that much money, we could add ten or twelve little minutes to this thing that make it the funniest movie anybody's ever seen.
Speaker 1: Maybe if we do it, it was like a kickstarter. With our listeners, we can figure out what's funny. Danielle is so fun point, It'll be one point she is so upset by this.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm cutting.
Speaker 1: We're gonna We're gonna handcuff you to a briefcase, and you and Nate going to be running around in your forward, yes, reliving this movie.
Speaker 5: Patrick there going like we'll just have Patrick at different scenes go like, hey, what are you guys doing?
Speaker 3: Just like, oh my god, so much fun. Game Box one point five. It would be so good.
Speaker 1: Game Box reducts.
Speaker 4: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show.
Speaker 6: You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: And we've got March.
Speaker 3: You can't quit this pod. You can't quit. You can't quit it. March now you can quit it.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you can't. Can't quit.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna let you.
Speaker 3: Let you quit.
Speaker 4: Now, you can quit. Pod meets Worldshow dot com. Writer, send this out.
Speaker 1: I love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast produce and hosted by Danielle Fischel, will For and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor Taras Sudbach, Producer Maddi Moore Engineer and Boy meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com