Speaker 1: Trying to get ready for this Thursday night game facing a good football team that just came off a very impressive win with Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Just showed really their.
Speaker 1: Resilience and how they fought back. Got a lot of respect for the coach known them for a long time. He's definitely gonna have these guys prepared and ready to play, as you saw what they were capable of doing last week. And again, quick turnaround, We get ready go out on the field now just a second, trying to get the guys, you know, acclimated to some of the things that we know we're gonna see Thursday night. But I always say this particular week is all about us fundamentally and what we can do with a quick turnaround and just making sure that we take care of our business and be in detailing the things that we asks the guys to do.
Speaker 2: And with that, I'll take your questions.
Speaker 1: How challenging is it to face Daniel Jones and the zone read in particular on a quick turn around.
Speaker 2: He's very challenging.
Speaker 1: Uh, extremely athletic, does a great job, uh with that format of that offense. They love to you know, run his own readers. You mentioned, uh that's part of day Bo day Ball's uh offense. He did the same thing in Buffalo of aalence, So it's definitely something that we're gonna see. It's definitely something that we put on tape during pre season, so we definitely gotta be prepared for it.
Speaker 3: Been like for you to just you know, be up in the mood calling the past two games and just getting a feel for your guys and what positions to put them in, which which buttons to push.
Speaker 2: Is it just a.
Speaker 3: Year long process or do you get more kind of in the focus of what you expect.
Speaker 2: Out of your guys.
Speaker 1: Well, Uh, I think it's it's gonna constantly be evolving throughout the year. But I don't think it's gonna take if I'm following your cor uh question correctly. Uh uh a season uh to to get a feel for what we want to do. I think you get a feel throughout the course of the game. And I think, uh, you saw it at the second half and the adjustments that we made when we came out, uh with with our defensive line.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I try to allow those guys to settle in and go play and try not to do a lot. But it turned into a game that Stafford was getting rid of the ball quickly. Uh, So you didn't really see the effect of what we were capable of doing up front because they didn't have an opportunity to do that. So uh, I had to adjust to be able to get those guys time. And the only way you can give them time is to get stickier and coverage on the back end.
Speaker 3: The fact that you did him to dial up more butzes which as ideally want to just get pressure with. For I mean, Stafford one of the few quarterbacks in the NFL that can force this defense to make that type of adjustment.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I think he's he's a season vet. I think he understands in those where where he wants to go with the ball.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: He does a great job and getting the ball out quickly and uh does a tremendous job and looking you off at times. So again I think, you know, we can do a better job as we did in the second half and tightening things up, and that starts with me. And then also I think when you get a guy that caliber, you can't show your hand all the time. You got to make him guess post snap by showing the one thing pre snap do.
Speaker 3: You prep for Barkley or and do they look the same.
Speaker 1: Do you think they'll look the same with Bragwell or Gray or Brita those I mean, I think the offense and what he wants to do is gonna be consistent. Barkley is disappointing that you know for him that he's not out, that he's out. But I think all those guys are capable. But when you really look at their offense, I think the question started earlier with his own read. I mean that that to me is their run game and and what he's capable of doing, not only from that point, but also just scrambling, you know, buying time in the pocket and doing things with his feet.
Speaker 3: Oliver, do you feel on Sunday that he took a step?
Speaker 2: I think all you guys can answer that question.
Speaker 1: And in the place that he made out there, particularly that third down tackle, I think it was phenomenal. We open field tackle, and uh, that was huge at that point in time of the game. Uh, he came up with an interception. You can see just his length and the way he grabbed the ball out of the air, and then the fourth down play where he shot the gap. I can't I couldn't be more proud of him and how he's uh stayed the course. You know, we moved some things around. He didn't waiver, he didn't blink. Uh, kept working hard and it paid off for him.
Speaker 2: Up the coverage.
Speaker 1: Is it m M just getting them outside coverage a little tighter or is it other? O?
Speaker 2: No, it's it's different.
Speaker 1: You know when we play certain zone coverages and and the receiver splits are tight, you know, Uh, we don't. We don't get down impressed because a lot of times if you sit here and run the ball and now they getting two for one, they got edges on you. So it's a give and take and it's a flow of the game that you gotta get a feel for or and that's what I did. And uh, once I got a feel for the game, I adjusted on the back end. It will allow our guys to have the opportunity to get a little stickier in coverage. So, uh, it's mostly with the corners. Has had a bit of an issue containing scrambling quarterbacks for years, expending multiple coordinators.
Speaker 2: What's the key to containing a scrambling quarterback? What makes it so difficult? Uh?
Speaker 1: Uh? I think number one, we just gotta maintain our rush lanes. You know, I think sometimes that uh, our guys and that that position itself is just so aggressive, right, and all of a sudden you're trying to tell those guys to slow down, and uh, that's not what they do naturally. So we just gotta be able to again, uh, with our different stunts that we wanna call up front, allow us to be able to clog through rush lanes. So he has nowhere to step up and then once again, uh, just trying to be tied on the back end to make them hold the football, Oliver, as.
Speaker 3: You just said in the locker room. But obviously, as a competitor, you want to be known as the first train that we and so he wasn't amused. Maybe that wasn't you know, quite quite the case. It seems like he has handled that process well. I mean, is he very professional about Uh?
Speaker 1: Total class, total class guy handled the right way.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing I said after the game that you know, it could have gone differently, but you know, uh didn't complain, just went out each and every day did his job, and when the opportunity came, he stepped up and made play.
Speaker 2: So very proud of his performance. The defensive ends in particular, start with the mobile quarterback.
Speaker 3: Do you have to remind them like don't rush past the quarterback or.
Speaker 1: Does that go without saying It somewhat goes about saying, you know, we always use the term, you know, the depth of the QB, you know, and being able to step up and come underneath.
Speaker 2: So again, you know, Daniel is extremely mobile.
Speaker 1: He does some great things again with his own reading and buying time getting outside the pocket, you know, big boot team, you know, trying to give him the option to get on the perimeter. If it's not there, then he gonna win with his legs. So we gotta do a great job containing him.
Speaker 2: This week.
Speaker 3: I want to read on on Bosa and how how he feels he's done the first two games, and I guess how hungry need to go after him?
Speaker 1: Well, I think you probably have to ask him and he'll tell you he's definitely not satisfied with with where he is. But as a coach, understanding that he wasn't here all off season and and to come in and take thirty two snaps in the first game, I believe it was uh and play last week, so uh, it's gonna come.
Speaker 2: Uh. You saw the effort there. Uh.
Speaker 1: You saw the push across the board with those guys. Uh again, Stafford was getting rid of the ball so fast. So I think it's only a time on a maoutter of time question.
Speaker 2: Base in LA. Can you talk about that? Say that one more time, Base in in in l A.
Speaker 1: Uh, I can talk about then when they came to Carolina last year, we travel well.
Speaker 3: Thankish