Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: How's your brackets? Mine? Terrible. The Celebrity Bracket Challenge leader board, Mark Sanchez is leading, followed by Brady Quinn, Jamal Crawford, Johnny Bench. Alex Ovechkin knows more college basketball than I do. He is in fourth place, tied with Pauli on the Celebrity Bracket Challenge. Todd Fritz, see, this is where I know too much college basketball. That's probably what hurt me here. I outsmarted myself absolutely. Fritzi's in fifth place, Alex Ovetkin in fourth. That's alex Ovechkin in fourth, Jim Parsons, Josh Dumel, Peter Schrager, NFL Network, They're in sixth place. And then you head down to the bottom of the list, you'll find Rebecca Lowe, who covers the Premier League, knows more college basketball than I do. Then I'm fifteenth, Marvin sixteenth, tied with the NFL insider Diana Rossini. Congratulations, congratulations Marvin.
Speaker 3: Thanks Saint Johnson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got burned by Saint John's as well. All right, Final hour. Charles Barkley will stop by his Auburn Tigers be an Action coming up tonight, we spend some time with Clark Kellogg's CBS Sports. If you miss anything, you can always download the DP show podcast. You got old miss Michigan State, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan, Auburn, Purdue, and Houston baseball Opening Day. It was just fun. It's fun to watch because you do have a little hope. Even a White Sox fan had hope. Yesterday. You're one to zero. I'm trying to think the last time they were above five hundred, The last time the White Sox so they beat the Angels eight to one. The White Sox are one game over five hundred for the first time since March thirtieth of twenty twenty three. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards for the Dan Patrick Show the White Sox. I think they're over under his fifty four and a half wins this year. The Angels lost again on opening Day. That's the eleventh time in the last twelve years, including the last four. But Mike Troup's first at bat didn't he get hit by pitch. It's gonna be a long year for Mike. By the way, I brought up the Orioles yesterday because Tyler O'Neill had hit a home run on five consecutive opening days. What are the odds that he would hit a home run on his sixth consecutive opening day and he did it. He has a total of six opening day home runs. Only six players in the history of baseball have more. Ken Griffy Junior, Frank Robinson, and Adam Dunn eight opening days home runs, Willie May's, Eddie Matthews Babe Ruth each seven. And then there's Tyler O'Neill of the Orioles. Never been an All Star, but he's hit over thirty home runs a couple of times. I believe all right. Last night, in no particular order, Alabama twenty five three pointers made against BYU Arkansas sixteen point lead, losing overtime. Duke was who we thought they were. They looked very impressive last night, and Florida handled Maryland. Florida's bench handled Maryland. That was the key. Maryland had no depth. Their bench I think provided three points. Well, Florida's bench had twenty nine points. Got the games coming up tonight. More phone calls eight seven to seven three DP show Dion Sanders was on the Skip Bayless podcast and he was talking about where Shador Sanders is going to end up in the draft.
Speaker 4: Told me he talked to me intently about all the business he's had with all the teams, So I know where his heart is.
Speaker 5: I know where he wants to go. If it's New York, is New York, if.
Speaker 4: It's Tennessee, if it's Cleveland, if it's still the Raiders, if it's New Orders, if it's any of those teams that are seeking a quarterback. I'm happy with it, man, because I know what he's going to do to the organization.
Speaker 5: I know what he's going to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, he said, if it's still the Raiders, that one stood out still the Raiders. When did it become the Raiders? That it now it's still the Raiders, And I thought, I think from the outset that's where he was going to end up. And then he started to move up a little bit and then we're thinking maybe he's going to go Cleveland, the Giants, maybe the Saints.
Speaker 5: But you know.
Speaker 2: Where you want to go or where you're going to go. It can be two different things. Because he may want to go to the Giants, or may want to go to the Raiders. He could end up with the Saints, or he can end up in Cleveland. Abdul Carter is not having a pro day. Penn State's having a pro day. Abdul Carter, who is probably going to be the second player off the board with the Cleveland Browns, he won't be working out. He's still battling an injury there. That would be my big concern with him. But when I saw him play against usc like you see certain guys and you go, he is just faster than everybody else. It was like, you know, he's coming out of the starter's block as if he was a sprinter. And if you have him with Miles Garrett, now Cleveland at least has an identity, like they have something there that they could have those two going after the quarterback. They just need to get their own quarterback as well. Eight seven seven three DP Show email address Depatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show. It's national something on a stick day and as a result, Meet Friday, Terry yak, beef skewers, barbecue, chicken, kebombs, and corn dogs. Who has it better.
Speaker 5: Than we do?
Speaker 3: Nobody?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm out there inspecting the tragger grills. Those corn dogs look good, man. I probably won't have one for another year, but when they're available, a little bit of mustard, I'm good to go. All right, Good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app and our radio affiliates around the country. People want to know when we get to Lambeau. Are they going to be able to come out and watch the show. We are planning on doing three shows in Green Bay, right in the shadows of Lambeau. We'll let you know all the details once we firm everything up. Then we're going to have a studio audience who can join us. We'll probably do a meet and greet on Wednesday night. We'll give you that location and myself and the dan Nets will be there and be able to spend a couple hours with you. So studio audience, we're probably going to do a meet and greet. We're finalizing the dates of when we go to Iowa. We'll let you know where we will be in Iowa. We're going to go out for at least three shows. I did reach out to Will Ferrell after Will Ferrell reached out to me when he heard we were going to Iowa. He is shooting a movie with Zach Efron, but he said that he would try to maybe come out for a day, and I said, bring zac Efron. You know that'd be fine. So we're going to do that. Got some other trips. We'll let you know about that as well. But the DP Show is going to be on the road a little bit more this year, not just the Super Bowl. All right. See whole question for the final hour of the program.
Speaker 6: We put up there just recently, should basketball games be played in football stadiums?
Speaker 2: Heck no?
Speaker 3: Or sure?
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 6: Or now eighty percent of the audience say heck no. I've just grown accustomed to it. I remember seeing a game in the Superdome and it just was like it was just antiseptic. Yeah, because basketball, you know, you like it in you know, a quaint gym.
Speaker 2: You grow up with that that feeling. And then all of a sudden we get to why are we playing in a fifteen thousand seed arena when we can play in front of seventy two thousand changing Yeah.
Speaker 6: See, we also put up there, would you rather play for the Steelers or retire and meditate? Right now, fifty three percent of the audience would rather retire and meditate than play for the Steelers.
Speaker 2: If I had Aaron Rodgers' money, I think I would probably just chill, like, why put your body through it again? And all you can I guess you can add to your resume. Feels like you could be in the I'm going to be subtracting from my resume what happened with the Jets now the Steelers. Although you're on a better team and a great organization, but you're still forty one years of age.
Speaker 7: Yes, hun, it's not like you're going to win the super Bowl next year, you know, but you want to end on somewhat of a positive note.
Speaker 3: I mean, they did have.
Speaker 2: Ten wins, so you got to be fair that even with above average quarterback play, they should be able to get to ten wins, maybe eleven wins and maybe you win a first round playoff game. I don't know, but I guess retirements on the board. But I had thought that all along. Yeah, it should be at that age. Yes, didn't the Jets just think that was gonna happen?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: They did, Yeah, but they no, they were the They're the Jets.
Speaker 6: I'm almost positive they had similar expectations. Oh, yes, they had Super Bowl expectations. David in Ohio, Hi David, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Dan, I got a happy meet Friday. By the way, no, buddy, I got a for the room also, you might be interested in it as well. My wife was really happy. And they got Terry Francona for the Cincinnati Reds as their manager. And I am a Guardians fan. I was hoped. I was wondering at the room or you, Dan would take? Oh the on Drantkings, it's over under seventy eight and a half wins. Didn't know someone that wanted to take the overt because I would like to take the under.
Speaker 2: You're taking the under on the Reds or the Guardians.
Speaker 9: The Cincinnati Reds under seventy eight and a half wins?
Speaker 5: No raft?
Speaker 2: Okay, does anybody want a piece of David in Ohio? The under with the Cincinnati Reds. They're already zero and one, so so advantage David, No, you got no takers here. We don't want to bet against Terry Francona. We love him. Thank you, David, Thank you. David san Antonio, Hi Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: Hey, Fritzy, suck it, Mark, You're cool. I just wanted to talk a little bit about the Lakers last night, sitting there watching the game with my poor boys. And as we're watching the game, the ups and downs, the flows of the game, we get to the last the inbound right where the Chicago shoots the half court shot, and I'm like, dang, the Lakers lose. That game almost had me feeling like like I was eating a corn dog.
Speaker 5: Not go good.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David Man.
Speaker 1: It's kind of nowhere on a Friday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, forty minutes left in the show, Like, what did you do to him?
Speaker 3: Don't you have to cite examples?
Speaker 7: If you're just going to say stuck it on National.
Speaker 2: Radio TV, do you want him to cite curious as to why, I you know what, just because he did that to you, I'm going to do this to him. I want you to do your Sports Center tees? Yes, okay, do we have the music there for Todd's Sports Center tees?
Speaker 5: Coming up on Sports Center?
Speaker 3: They were all giddy in the Windy City.
Speaker 7: How the bulls told Lebron to go jump in a Laker Cougar's of the Week.
Speaker 3: Why b why you had no answer for Bama's bomb from behind the arc.
Speaker 7: Jokis weren't shy or about taking it to the Wildcats Arizona.
Speaker 5: Where's the white flag?
Speaker 7: They didn't fear the turtle, the gator's chump on some college park crab.
Speaker 3: They led by sixteen with ten left.
Speaker 5: So how did coach cal at the Red Raiders come all the way? Razorback?
Speaker 7: Let's talk about six Meet the oriole who went Camden Yard again on opening day in Toronto, and.
Speaker 3: We'll see who else parties that. There's sweet sixteen. We may not be elite, but we'll dance through the highlights.
Speaker 5: Sports Center is next?
Speaker 2: All right, all right?
Speaker 1: Nice?
Speaker 2: Does Sports Center still do teases where they open up the show with that? I used to do they. I don't know if I've watched the beginning of a Sports Center. I don't know if I have. Well, if I have, I don't remember. There was a Sports Center too, coming up on Sports Center. I used to hate writing those every night, So you would it's either you or who you were working with. I'd be like, all right, you got the teas, because then the other person would have the first story. So you do the tees come out and welcome Sports Center alongside Keith Overman, I'm Dan Patrick blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, and then Keith would take over. But riding the Sports Center tease, it was just what shots do you have? It just took you know, twenty minutes to do it, and you know you wanted to turn your attention to other things other than the Sports Center tease. I needed somebody like Fritzy to do it for me.
Speaker 3: I would have loved that.
Speaker 2: Then I could have voiced it.
Speaker 8: Yes, Paul Fritzy just crushed the post on that one. He had a nice line, so he got Barkley next. Should he shut it down?
Speaker 2: Uh, he's never taken my advice in over twenty years.
Speaker 7: And mean on a stick is coming. Yes, Although David san Antonio trying to ruin my door, Yeah he did, and he knows I'm sensitive.
Speaker 2: Is Is that going to bother you the next forty five minutes?
Speaker 11: I don't.
Speaker 3: Once I get a.
Speaker 7: Bite out of that teriyaki on his stick, I'll be fine. But for the next few minutes it's I'm like, it's troubling me a little bit. Why he thinks I should suck it? That was the first thing he said right out of the box.
Speaker 2: But you you nailed the t's and you got Charles work. Well, we hope you have, Charles Barkley.
Speaker 7: Charles already sent me a note saying he's ready, he remembered, but seem not an interesting question about that whole day.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, Would you rather be told to suck it? Or not even register at all in the conversation? Completely invisible like PAULI and I were so, Marvin was awesome, Fritzy could suck it. The two of us just don't even exist. Some might say that's even worse.
Speaker 2: Would you rather be told to suck it? Seaton or not mentioned?
Speaker 6: Sometimes it's nice to be told to suck it. I mean, at least you're getting an emotional reaction out of someone and they're like, oh, noh, yeah, you're good, don't worry about it.
Speaker 2: Paul, what about you?
Speaker 8: I'd prefer to bother you or maybe be liked by you in that order.
Speaker 2: Okay, Marvin, how about you?
Speaker 3: Now you don't have to even acknowledge me.
Speaker 2: Oh you're okay, just kind of blending in. Oh yeah, okay, Todd, But how about Astro's jersey?
Speaker 5: Suck it or Broncos fan.
Speaker 7: Suck it or you think you're funny, suck you can't sing?
Speaker 2: Okay, give me a little Okay. I knew this was gonna happen. I knew it was gonna happen. I didn't know I didn't know he was going to say that, but I knew what your reaction was going to be. So now I'm gonna go to commercial, and then I'm gonna walk over, and then you're gonna pull me to the side, and you're gonna go why what do you mean by things?
Speaker 5: Why would he say something?
Speaker 2: You're gonna take a break. Charles Barkley's gonna join us coming up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich?
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, What's.
Speaker 9: Going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem.
Speaker 2: To have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Oh Miss Michigan State tonight Kentucky, Tennessee Michigan, Auburn and Purdue against Houston. I have the early lines according to DraftKings the Elite eight Texas Tech getting six and a half versus Florida, and Duke is favored by six and a half against Alabama. He's one of the faces of CBS's March to Madness San Antonio The Road to San Antonio Hall of Famer Charles Barkley back on the show, what do you See? Who do you see? When you look at Cooper Flag?
Speaker 5: I see Cooper Flag. I see he's a terrific young player. He looks amazing on television. Can't wait to see him in the NBA. I hate doing that. I hate when guys on television try to compare him. First of all, to say he's already somebody in the NBA is being unfair of that person in the NBA. What's scary Dan? That kid should be a senior in high school. Now, that would be unfair. That would be if he played high school. That would be unfair. Some of the passes he was making last night where it's incredible, But I think we do a disservice to a lot of these guys, Like I think Michael Jordan has killed more people than the plague. Uh you know, well, they're like, this guy's the next for Michael Jordan. I'm like, you don't turn out to be Michael Jordan. This kid is really talented, he's really smart. I can't wait to meet him. Seems like a really nice kid because he's because he could have had in what in my day we called a big head. He was the best high school player in the country. He came in with all the pressure on him, and he's lived up to the hype. He hasn't had any missteps. You know, people out that gets you when you're famous. That's when you were eight, seventeen, eighteen year old kid. But I'm not going to compare I'm not. First of i'd be a disservice to me to compare him to a great NBA player. But man, he's a pleasure to watch.
Speaker 2: What about skills, Like not necessarily saying that he is that player, but like I see a little bit of Kevin Durant with mid range jumper, Like he can shoot the three. So he's not Kevin Durant, but I do see You know, everybody's going to jump right to Larry Bird. Well that's not fair to Bird and it's not fair to Cooper Flat. Yeah, but just with tendencies or their game.
Speaker 5: Tell you this. I thought he dominated the game last night with his passing. You know, he scored a good amount of points, but his passing was the difference in the game. And every time they needed something, he made to play. His ability to off the dribble is incredible. It was incredible to watch because you know, I've been studying a lot of tape, but now when you see these guys in big moments like that was probably that was probably their first big moment. I think that was the first team they played like, oh, they got a chance of losing this game, and he stepped up. Man, it was It was beautiful to watch.
Speaker 2: Who else has stood out in this tournament if you look at them at the next level playing in the NBA, Well, a kid.
Speaker 5: From Florida, Clayton, I don't. I just need to know what his size is, you know, because you know all these guys, because if he's big enough, he gonna be a hell of a pro player because he's a terrific college player. Uh, the kid Brent at Nelson at Alabama, I think he's now. I'm really looking forward to that matchup with him and Cooper because let me tell you something, that Nelson kid at Alabama is terrific and Cooper that's gonna be a great matchup. I cannot wait to watch that matchup. Jani Broom at Auburn has been fantastic all year. I can't wait to watch that game. Michigan State is the most interesting team. They probably got about three or four guys who are gonna play in the NBA who don't look like great college players. They're really really good players. They just they don't jump off the screen like Cooper and those guys do. But Michigan State, their team is like, man, they're gonna have three or four guys who I think are gonna play in the pros.
Speaker 2: You start to look at the model now in college basketball. I don't know if it's just this year, but you're seeing less freshman aside from Duke have an impact in March Madness. It's a lot of guys who are older. Transfer portal. Do you think that that is the next wave, that that's where a lot of teams are gonna say that's the blueprint.
Speaker 5: Well, it's already out of hand with the transfer portal. Dan. First of all, let me just say this, the NCAA, they are the most stupid, idiotic people, jackasses in the world. Like they've already ruined college sports with this nil thing. And I'm not against players making money. They's just honored as the wild Wild West right now. But to have the transfer portal in the middle of March madness got to be one of the stupidest things that I've ever seen in my life. Just when you think they can't get any more stupid, they trump themselves and had a transfer portal in the middle of March madness. And I think what you're seeing now is it's just free agency. Every year, the smaller schools are gonna get less and less important because if you're a smaller player, they just gonna cherry pick you every year, like if you went to a lower a mid major. If you have a good year, they're coming to get you because they gonna be able to pay more. So I don't know how this thing't gonna turn out. I just think the NCAA has screwed this thing up so much. I don't know how you put the toothpaste back into two. I've said this before. I think in two to three or four years, we're gonna have twenty five programs and that's it. And in listening and I hear guys talking about a salary cap, the big schools ain't gonna go for those salary cap They have the most money. Why would the Dodgers want a salary cap. The Dodgers don't want a salary cap. You see all those other teams winding in baseball, and I'm like, is it unfair what the Dodgers doing. I think it's one hundred percent unfair what they're doing, but they don't. If I'm a football school like Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, I don't want a cap. I can pay the most money and get the best players.
Speaker 2: The difference between the college game and the NBA game watching it which one is better to watch?
Speaker 5: In your opinion, I think the college game is better to watch because you know they're not just out there. They don't even look for twos anymore. In the NBA, they don't even look for twos. They's say, hey, we're gonna come to the gym. We're gonna jack up the most threes. If we hit them, we're gonna win. We missed them. We're gonna say we didn't make enough shots tonight, we didn't make enough threes. But when they make them, it looks great. I'm like, yeah, it does look great if you make them, But that's the problem. If you're not making them. Everybody says, man, y'all just shoot a lot of threes and it don't go in. But we got a lot of great players in the NBA. You know, I've been very critical of some other people are not. Like what Shay Gilgers Alexander is doing this year is incredible. I mean, you know last year people thought it was a fluke when the when the Thunder had the best record in the NBA. Now they doubled out, like, nah, we are the best team in the NBA. They went out and plugged a couple of holes they had with Caruso and Hardenstein. What the Cleveland Cavaliers are doing this year, it's fled out incredible. I mean the Cleveland Cavaliers, like I think they can beat the Boston Center. There's three teams they win in the championship, the Thunder, the Celtics, and the caw That's it. Everybody's just playing. They get just getting participation trophies.
Speaker 2: The Lakers chances, you're they.
Speaker 5: Got zero chance. I told you that a month ago. People went crazy. People went crazy when they had like two good weeks. You know, Dan, anytime you make a grade, you get a bump they got a Luca bump. Now they've got there where they are, uh you know, but I was like, no, the Lakers are not contenders. It drives me crazy. They won some games and they were gonna get a bump. You get Luc, You're gonna get a bump. Same thing when Jimmy Butler got a bump when he went to the Warriors. But it's ok see world and probably Denver's probably the second best team in the West. But listen, they're all playing for second place. Nobody can beat the Thunder. I don't see anybody beating the Thunder. He's Charles Berkley, the Hall of Famer. Who had a better week Lebron James or steven A Smith? They both had an awful week. They both had an awful week. Lebron he's too big to be that type of bully to bully Stephen A and to bully Brian Winhorse. Brian Woodhurst is a sweet person man. He's just trying to do his thing. And I've always liked Lebron, but him being a bully it turned me off. Dan. But I will say that steven A, the way he reacted was so lame and weak and Steve stephen A is a good dude. Man for him to react Lebron, like I say, I blame him for starting the bullying, going on Pat show, just bullying people because you know Lebron, he's a control free he knows everything he's doing. He knows everything he's doing, and he knew when he walked up to stephen A what he was doing. But the way stephen A reacted going on Gibbus podcasts, talking tough, and I said, come on, man, you're better than that. So there's only there's only losers there in this scenario us as the sports media, you got the biggest star in the game. You probably got the biggest star on television. And they both look bad in my opinion, and what bothers me the most, they both good dudes. Wait, I don't people who are an asshole looking bad. I don't mind that at all. They deserve it. But stephen A is a good dude and Lebron is good dude. But they both look really bad this week. They both had a bad week. To answer your question, Lebron started it and stephen A, I'm not sure what he was trying to do. He just made it worse and worse and worse, and then I saw the thing last night we had to come out and apologize with. Then Lebron didn't go to Kobe's memorial. I'm like, dude, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 2: Well, they did as you know what they're doing. They both get attention. They like attention.
Speaker 5: Then, the one thing you can always say about me, I ain't never had personal attacks on people. I've criticized people. That's part of our job telling the truth. It can never be personal.
Speaker 2: But are you searching for attention? No, they are, Yeah, but.
Speaker 5: It's not good attention. Then that the problem. Okay, that's a great thing you made. In my day, any publicity was good publicity, remember that old saying. But the problem now is when you put bs out there. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry and Louise got an opinion, and they're gonna make it worse. That's the problem with today. Like I say, and I hate to talk about my day and my old day. Yeah, you got publicity, good to bad. It was actually probably a good thing. But the problem is every food idiot and jackads got an opinion now because they got a computer, and that's what made this whole thing so bad because Lebron haters are on fire right now. The stephen A haters are on fire right now. You can never give bs to the world because those people they got life, Dan, they I told you, these people who live with their parents, they live in the basement. They don't have a job. All they do is sit around and click and talk about people on their computer. That's all they do. And the problem is stephen A is a good dude and Lebron's a good dude. You're gonna have foods and idiots talking bad about them, and that's the thing that sucks. But Lebron pissed me off if he went and Brian went horse because Brin went horse as a good person.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 5: I don't know him really, really well, but I think he got a pure heart. He's just trying to do his job. He probably he's out here catching strays, you know. You know what Lebron reminded me of remembering the Godfather. After Appacino left the funeral, he says, we killed everybody today. We sellled all the family business. That's what Lebron did when he went on Pat McAfee's show. He's like, when he's sitting my man down, He says, I set all the family business to day, held everybody. That's what when I was watching it, when I thought of replay, I was laughing and I said, oh, this is right out of the Godfather. He says, I settled all the family business today. And I'm like, come on, man, stop taking shots at steven A and Brian win hars.
Speaker 2: Well, how would you do you think everybody on the Lakers is fine? What Lebron did for his son, that's a great question.
Speaker 5: I don't think that matters. He did it that kid. I wish you have nothing but the best. He should be in the G League getting better as a player. Uh, he should have been in the G League all year. I think it was a great story for them to go on the court together, but he should be in the G league. Then you don't get better sitting on the bench.
Speaker 2: I agree. I wanted him to stay another year in college if he was going to he needed to play after the health scares freshman year. But you know, this is where the problem started with Lebron and stephen A. Or the most recent one is that you had Tyrese Maxey torching Bronni during a game and steven A came on the next day and it was like it was Lebron's fault. He was telling Lebron how to be a dad a father.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you can interpret it like that. I think what Steve like I say, I don't know. I'm not going to speak for Steven a. I'm almost only going to speak for myself. I think what he was really trying to say, Hey, don't put that kid out there with them NBA, grown man. Send him to the G League. We can get better as a player. You can interpret it in a way you want to do it.
Speaker 2: JJ Reddick put him in the game. Do you think Lebron goes Hey, put him in on Tyrese, Maxey, Torches, just about everybody who guards him.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But like I say, they shouldn't have put him in that situation. He should have been in a G league all season.
Speaker 2: I agree. I agree, But that's where that's the trigger. If you start talking about Lebron as a father, that's different. You know, that's not I can be critical of Bronny in his game, yeah, but I can't.
Speaker 5: Listen man, Lebron's a Oh I should And I said, I don't know what kind of fauther Lebron Lebron seem But first of all, I've always said that the difference between Michael Jordan Kobe, the three best basketball players I've ever seen are Michael Jordans, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James. Those are the three best basketball players I've ever seen. I said the difference between those first two guys, Nobody ever said they were nice guys. They gonna kill your ass and ain't nothing you can do about it. They gonna kill you and stomp on your grave. Lebron might stomp on you, but he gonna apologize for it. He's a nice man. That's the difference. Lebron is a nice guy. That's why I don't like I didn't like the fact because he really came off as a bully in this entire thing, and that's not who he is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Stephen he should have said JJ Reddick, don't put Ronnie James.
Speaker 5: What Stephen A should have did? They say, Hey, Lebron came to me and said this, this, this, I'm gonna respect that he came to me as a father. That should have been the end of it. When Stephen A went on the other podcast as a tough guy, that's I think what triggered Lebron Again.
Speaker 2: Do you think he would have gotten into a fight if Lebron put his hands on stephen A. Stephen A he said he was going to be throwing punches.
Speaker 5: Well, then I think sometimes. Okay, let me get an example. I don't think I can beat Scheck in a fight, but when he touched me in front of twenty thousand people, I'm gonna swing. If a grown man touched you in front of a crowd, you want one hundred percent, even if you're gonna get your ass kicked, Like when Shaq did that, I had to make a spit second decision. Man, this twenty thousand people saw him put hands on me. I got the swing. There's there's times. First of all, I'm not condoning fighting. Anybody fighting past twenty five is a loser anyway. Okay, that's not the way. Any grown person who fights you just a loser. But in certain scenarios, like if somebody touch if Lebron touches that dude in front of a crowd, even if like even if he gonna kick his ass, you gotta defend yourself to let those twenty thousand people know you ain't no punk.
Speaker 2: No, you can't throw punches at a game.
Speaker 5: You can, so you're gonna let another man hit you? Said, you're gonna let another man hit you in front of twenty.
Speaker 2: T Lebron's not hitting stephen A Smith.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was so steven They shouldn't have said it.
Speaker 2: I know, but he says, if he puts his hands on me.
Speaker 5: That's what see, that's why this is screwing up. All stephen A had to say was Lebron came to me and said, don't talk about my son. Don't talk about my son. That would have been the end of it. But like I said, he goes on gibb Us podcast talking uh tough and everything. Then he goes on his podcast talking tough, and I think that triggered Lebron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well all hell.
Speaker 5: All he had to do was say, hey, you know what, Lebron came to me. He didn't swing on me. He came to me, man the man, and said stop. Stop stop. If if steven A had a left right there, we wouldn't even be having Now we're going on week three.
Speaker 2: How long would the fight last between stephen And and Lebron.
Speaker 5: I hope somebody gets to stephen A and say, yo, man, stop it. Dan. You do know the number one rule of sports businesses, don't become the story. That's rude, number one.
Speaker 2: We're well past that. That that that's the old days. That that's not the way it is anymore.
Speaker 5: I understand that you never had a reporter. I know, I know you never Yeah, you know, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm old school. Don't put your hands on me. I'll swing at you.
Speaker 5: You got to, especially in a crowd. In a crowd, Dan, can you automatically have to fight that croud?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, have fun tonight, all right.
Speaker 5: All right, brother Ward damn eagle, y'all.
Speaker 2: All right, that's Charles Barklay. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Last call for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store for Monday?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: That corn dog was delsh.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen this happy at all.
Speaker 2: Just something about a corn dog. It reminds me of, you know, growing up in the Midwest, corn fed good looks, you know, just that was that was life, very simple back then yes, Paum.
Speaker 8: It's almost like certain smells or noises remind you of your childhood.
Speaker 2: It's a taste. Yeah, corn dog tastes great. So do the skewers there that we have as well. Let me see, Chuck was great.
Speaker 5: It was fun.
Speaker 2: But Lebron and stephen A want attention. They go about it in different ways, but they both got what I think they wanted. Steven A got a lot of attention, and so, you know, Lebron got things off his chest. I mean after a while, I don't know, like, does somebody win. Did they eventually say hey, let's move on. Do they get together? Does Lebron go on stephen A and go back and forth? Like I don't know how this ends?
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin, do you think the ESPN execs high five to each other?
Speaker 2: Yeah, today's ESPN. Yes they won, Yes they did.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: This isn't about journalism anymore. It's just about entertainment, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Guys like steven A and of that Elk are running a business where they're trying to engage the athlete, and that's that's the payoff, engaging the athlete.
Speaker 2: In the debate, Dave and Huntington Beach Hi, Dave, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 4: Dan?
Speaker 12: Hey did second time long time?
Speaker 5: Six foot two thirty?
Speaker 12: Hey, I just wanted to jump in on stephen A real quick. Uh, stephen A or the field. I've seen stephen A's videos of hitting pads and I will take literally anyone against steven A.
Speaker 2: I did see stephen A. You know, he was working out with a sparring partner. Now this isn't recent, like he's getting ready for Lebron if he does put his hands on But yeah, I saw Steve and I doing some doing some workouts. Yes, Marvin, as.
Speaker 3: Long as Jay Glazer still in the business, I'm taking him.
Speaker 2: Well that's UFC.
Speaker 3: But he just said throwing hands. I'm always taking Jay Glazer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh I. Steven A is not fighting anybody, although I did see some websites like, hey, we'll get you know, we'll pay you guys to fight. That's not going to go well.
Speaker 6: I just say I don't have a problem with either person in that equation, but I would pay money for that.
Speaker 8: This day in sports History Paul nineteen sixty three. The New York Titans of the American Football League change their name too. The New York Jets nineteen ninety nine in Cuba, the Orioles beat the Cuban national team. It was the first time since the fifties that a US team had played in Cuba and one of our favorites. Two thousand and two, Greco Roman wrestler Rulan Gardner had the middle toe on his right foot amputated due to frostbite. He would been and strand it overnight for two days.
Speaker 2: Also on this date, nineteen ninety two, Christian Leytner turn around jumper beats Kentucky finish with thirty one points. He was ten of ten from the floor and he made all of his free throws as well. Also stepped on Kentucky player's chest. Almost the perfect game, Almost the perfect game. Let's go around the room. If we learned something today, Todd, I'll start with you. A great, great job this week with guests. Really a timely guest, So thank you.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 7: Clark Kellogg says, if they take care of the ball and get good guard play, keep an eye on Michigan. It's a possible upset tonight against Auburn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with him on that. A couple of seven footers in there, Seaton, how about you.
Speaker 6: Charles Barkley said, any attention is good attention, not anymore.
Speaker 3: Rvin Clark Kellogg does his own writing.
Speaker 7: Paul or Damn Eagle todd Wood, I learn you're not saying he is him, but Corpa Flegg's game reminds you of how Kde plays and scores in various ways.
Speaker 2: Speed up your hiring process with Express Employment Professionals. Reduce the time to hire, cut cost, find the right people, write roles. Visit expresspros dot com today, transform your hiring process a lot of fun this week. Thanks for joining us. Our pleasure to serve you. Have a great weekend. We look forward to reconnecting on Monday.