Speaker 1: Hi, Hi, I'm Erin Well and I'm Erin Almond Updike and this is this podcast will kill.
Speaker 2: You un conventional style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels really weird Erin. We're very It's very awkward. It's very awkward. We have not recorded in this same space since twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, right before you left for Finland.
Speaker 1: That was six years ago.
Speaker 2: It was like the very beginning of season two with the last time that we were together in the same room. It is very weird. I feel like more nervous. I know, my cold sweating I.
Speaker 1: Put onto the owner, but probably not enough the same. It's gonna be fun though, and unconventional a because we are in the same place recording would be because this is not our typical episode format case. You may have noticed from the title of this episode, which we don't know what it is yet, but it's going to be something to the effect of ask the errands whatever it is you want to ask them. And there are a lot of things you wanted to ask us. Yeah, a lot of a lot of things, which is thrilling.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to everybody who submitted your questions. We read every single question. We are going to try our best to answer as many of them as we can today.
Speaker 1: Yes. Also, I just also want to say thank you so much for all of your little comments too. They made our.
Speaker 2: Day absolutely, our week, our month, my year, lives yeah everything.
Speaker 1: It was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The last time we did this, the only time we did this was in twenty nineteen, twenty nineteen, and I think it's safe to say a lot has happened then. And we're going to get into all of that and all of your other questions. But before we do that, it's quarantine. It's still quarantiny time.
Speaker 3: Eron.
Speaker 1: What are we calling this one right now? We're drinking just non alcoholic.
Speaker 2: Non alcoholics mes cown nigronies. They're a little bit weird, no.
Speaker 1: Lie, we tell it like it is on this podcast.
Speaker 2: We didn't come up with a name for them. We're drinking of plus e Burita.
Speaker 1: The Errands cheers, so I guess for the quarantini slash plasy rita. The Errands like, drink whatever you like. What's your favorite thing that you've been drinking lately?
Speaker 2: What's your favorite quarantini that we've ever made?
Speaker 1: Erin me, Yeah, this is a hard one. I erin my I feel like my memory, in part because of the podcast, is so overloaded that I cannot remember anything. There was a really good peach whiskey one that I made recently, but I think my go to answer for that is the Gunneria one Burning Love.
Speaker 2: That's my go to too. Yeah, I mean so good, it's good. Okay, it's great. Have a spicy marg.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think we have any other podcast business, I mean the usual. Our website exists, and it's got some things on it like bookshop dot Org, affiliate account, our Goodreads list a, all of our transcripts. It's got sources for each and every one of our episodes, links to music by Bloodmobile, Patreon, diat Say merch, We've got some pretty cool merch, pretty big merch.
Speaker 2: Probably more coming out soon, so check.
Speaker 1: It, check it.
Speaker 2: Well, shall we get into some listener questions?
Speaker 1: Let's do it. Let's take a quick break and then get started. It started.
Speaker 2: So we have our little listy here, so we're gonna we're just gonna read through our little listy, shall we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Megan and Audrey and several other people. This isn't a real question because so we just combined a whole bunch of them. They would like to know personal life updates airin EIRIN five years ago. It was twenty nineteen. You weren't living here where we are, in your beautiful house, So tell us about your life.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Okay, I'm going to try to be succynct because I could talk about all I could talk about all these questions at great length. But in twenty nineteen, I quit my postdoc in Finland and you know, academia just wasn't for me, bottom line. And then I moved back to the US. I moved to Chicago initially, and then when COVID hit, I drove out to Colorado to meet up with a friend free grad school, a longtime friend from grad school, and then uh, basically moved to Denver. And now we're married.
Speaker 2: You guys, also, they are meant to be together. That's what I'm going to say. Okay, it's a beautiful love story, and we love it so much.
Speaker 1: We love you, John, love you John. Yes. So now we've been in Denver since well John's been in Denver since twenty twenty. I've moved fully the year after. And now we have a dog who's toenails you're probably hearing click on the floor of our sun room.
Speaker 2: Yep, he's great.
Speaker 1: Yay, yeah, yay. What about you, Aaron? A lot has happened for you.
Speaker 2: A lot has happened for me as well. Let's see, I don't remember exactly when our first ask the Errands came out. I want to say it was summer summer. Okay, so in summer of twenty nineteen is when I had my first kid. So I don't know if I had one yet when we recorded.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you did.
Speaker 2: In any case, he's still here with us, and now he's a giant kid, not a baby. And then I finished med school. We moved from Illinois back to San Diego, thrilled to be back there. I finished my whole residency, which is good, wild that much time has passed. And then I had another kid in a while back. Now he's again a toddler and no longer a baby. And yeah, that's like a short version of my life updates.
Speaker 1: It's great, it's great, right, I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, finished med school, finish residency, had two kids.
Speaker 1: Podcast podcast, yeah, podcast, All right, thanks for the question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's next?
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have a question from Kashina Mackenzie, Maddie Ruby, Chelsea and others. We love how many of the questions were like very similar because we were like, okay, great, you do want to know some things about us. Okay, I'm just going to read one of these questions. It seems like it's been years since we've heard what you've both been up to professionally. Are either of you engaged in any research, taking breaks working in your chosen fields in the same vein What are your hopes for the future academically or professionally? Ooh, I like that question. Hey, any questions? Oh, I have to start. You don't have to.
Speaker 2: But so, I just finished my residency, which means I'm done with all of the training part of my medical career, and I am starting in clinical practice in family medicine in like the next month or so, and then I'm doing the podcast and that is that's that's the job right now, and I'm hoping to be able to keep doing both.
Speaker 1: So far, so good, Yeah, so far, so great. Yeah, Eric, So I now my I guess my full time job. I'm not doing any research anymore, any academia anymore at all. I'm doing podcasts full time. Since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a beautiful year that was.
Speaker 1: It's great and hopes for the future academically or professionally. I mean, honestly, I think we just want to keep this podcast going as long as we possibly can. Yeah, we love making it, and I think that we may Maybe I'm jumping ahead, and there is a question for like how long do you think that this podcast can keep going? But every year the list grows longer and longer, thanks in large part also to listeners who write in and say, hey, can you cover this? Hey can you cover that? So I really just want to keep being able to do science communication forever and always.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we really love getting to make this so that's a big part of our current and future career. Yes, yes, okay, I love this. Next question Catherine S and.
Speaker 1: Jackie Jackie Jackie love you.
Speaker 2: They asked kind of similar questions. Did a certain person in your life inspire you to follow the science path or were you always drawn to it even as a little kid.
Speaker 1: I think I was always drawn to it. I mean it kind of went from medical to biology at different points. I watched Beakman's World growing up. Oh my god, I forgot about that show. Yeh, I totally watched that show. I loved Beacon's World, like a lot of Bill Nye Bill Nye. I had like a vet kit and like a doctor kit and everything, and I would pretend to, like, you know, treat my dogs and stuff. But no, I think even in high school, I was drawn to the field of science and biology in particular. And I don't know if it was like great teachers or just the idea of understanding how the world works around us.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean same. I've always been a science nerd. Yeah, I'm gonna my friend, good friend Jackie that I've been friends with since middle school, asked one of these questions, so I'm gonna shout out to my roots of just how nerdy we were in high school during our ap bio class, which like, first of all, you're taking ap bio, you're probably a nerd. Love it, And we were, and we used to have study groups together and we wanted to make t shirts that said hydrogen bonds Rule the World, because that's how amazed I was when I learned about hydrogen bonds. Like still to this day when I think about them, I get very excited.
Speaker 1: Can we make those t shirts. That would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Actually, it's been a dream since high school. So yeah, I have always been a science nerd for sure.
Speaker 1: Love that. Love that. This next question kind of follows up with that. So, like we talked about what science nerds we were as kids, but Aisha, Jess, Nicole, Kelly, Daisy, and Maggie want to know if there was a particular moment or experience in our lives that made us realize that we wanted to pursue the careers that we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I totally have that. So I was definitely like a science nerd from the beginning, went into undergrad wanting to do aquatic biology marine biology, fully expected I was going to be a shark biologist. I was like all in. And it was a particular class. I feel like I've told this story so many times, Sorry if it's boring at this point, but a particular class on the ecology of parasites that one hundred percent rocked my world made me interested in the field of diseases and epidemiology, and that is what led me down the path eventually of Masters in Public Health and an mdphd. And everything that has come of that has been that class.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, Ecology of Parasites.
Speaker 2: It was such a good class. If you're at UCMB and it's still there, please take it.
Speaker 1: I had wanted to go into nursing initially when I was an undergrad, and then I had to take as part of that an intro to microbiology course And it was at eight am Monday Wednesday Friday, and I had to ride my bike up this hill, which is probably not that big of a hill because it was like central Kentucky. But I found myself not sleeping in and actually wanting to go to this class and not missing a class, which I was sometimes known to do with other classes. And so I switched my major to biology, being like, I want to know more about the world of microbiology. I want to know all about these diseases. And then I also just started to become more interested in the human impact when I joined a plague lab studying your cineapestis, and I wanted this big picture view of like, but how has plague affected things on a landscape scale and then throughout history? And then that led me into my master's in epidemiology, and that's when I was like, but what about the environment? What is that? What role does that play? And that is when I did disease ecology, and then of course in later in our which we'll get talked probably a little bit more about later, but at the end of our PhDs, we were like science communication, like, how can we actually talk about this stuff in a way that is fun for us?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel like that gets into another question that several of you asked, including Jess, Nicole and Kelly, which was like, what was the most pivotal moment of your academic or professional careers and why? And I feel like Aaron years is like really good?
Speaker 1: Is it? I wonderful for thinking of the same pivotal moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so okay, your pivotal moment changed both of our careers. Yeah, okay, yeah, okay, like Aaron has changed our lives.
Speaker 1: Aaron has changed our lives as well. No, yes, it was okay. So in November of twenty eighteen, I moved to Finland to start my postdoc and I really enjoyed the work there. I liked that the research. My postdoc advisor was phenomenal, really wonderful person. But I had gone back in February a few months later to uh Texas to go to my friend's wedding and I had such a great time and like hanging out, meeting up with people that I hadn't, like, you know, been around for a number of years. And I was getting on the plane back to Finland and I was thinking to myself, what am I going back to? And I loved the like I was intrigued by the research. I thought it was fascinating, but it was the constant sort of cycle of writing grants, writing papers, analyzing the data, always having to get that you know, get that thing in having all of a million deadlines, and I just did not connect with that at all. And I thought there's got to be something else. I can't do this forever, and so I quit my post doc and I was like, Okay, I'll do the podcast in the meantime for like a little bit, and then I'll find something else. And then that has now been five years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I mean, when we decided to make this podcast in twenty seventeen, we did not ever anticipate that it could become our careers. But there was a point at which and it was during this time when you were like, I don't really want to be doing this. Could we make this podcast something that is viable as our careers. And at the same time, I was still in medical school and knowing that things were only going to get busier, and I was like, I want to keep making this podcast, but I can't do it the way that we've been doing it because it was just too much of a burden for both of us to keep doing what we are doing. And so by you then deciding to take that leap of quitting your like stable, real academic job and becoming the podcast full time, it has allowed for this podcast to still exist.
Speaker 1: So it has.
Speaker 2: Literally changed both of our lives for the better. Like it's phenomenal, and I it's it.
Speaker 1: Is it is. I will say, like it is still surreal to me every single time that like this is what we get to do.
Speaker 2: I know it is.
Speaker 1: It is the best thing. It is the best thing, and like you know, any job is a job, right, I'm not saying that, like every day is wonderful and I'm never annoyed at having to take quarantine pictures or whatever it is, but it is the it's like finding that thing that I connect with and I am able to feel fulfilled about has been It's been an incredible experience I love it. And also, my friend Katie was the one whose wedding I went to in February of twenty nineteen, and if you listened to our lactose intolerance episode, she provided the first hand account, which is still one of my all time favorite, one of the best first hand accounts. Such a great storyteller, It's amazing. Oh I love it. Okay, So I love this next question because I feel like a piggybacks onto that and I want to know your answer to this too, especially Aaron. So Daisy asked, do you currently have the career you thought you'd have when you first applied to college? Like not? I didn't know, absolutely not. Like short answer, no, what did you think you wanted to be when you went into college? In college?
Speaker 2: I wanted to be a shark biologist?
Speaker 1: Right, Okay, it's like day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, at least as much as I can remember, Like, I don't remember if there was any other specifics of like, No, I wanted to study sharks. I wanted to be a shark biologist. Wow, so this is not what I expected to be doing. I specifically told my mother after freshman year that I would never go to med school. So of course, I didn't need to take all three quarters of OKEM, so I took a summer course instead and she was like okay, and I was like, I'm never going to grad school.
Speaker 1: I'm never.
Speaker 2: I thought I was never going to go to grad school and be a shapologist. I didn't know what I was doing, but I definitely thought I would never go to med school. And now like I am, I am done with residency.
Speaker 1: You're an MdeR doctor doctor mdphd.
Speaker 2: So no, I do not have the job that I expected, and I'm very happy about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what about you? No not, I'm yeah. I didn't know science communication existed until after we were doing the podcast for a year. Yeah yeah, uh no, I when I remember it, when I applied to the University of Kentucky for undergrad which is where I ended up going, I put in my major as a double major of anthropology and English.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, right, that's even different than nursing, you know.
Speaker 1: And then I got there and I was like, oh, okay, maybe that's not I want to do nursing. I don't know, you know, I was eighteen, Like, how do you are you supposed to choose your entire life at eighteen? But Aaron, we're going to have a full circle moment.
Speaker 2: I'm going to skip like a million pages ahead and ask you the question that I want to ask you that someone else.
Speaker 1: Let me see who asked it so I can shout out you.
Speaker 2: To say thank you, Sheila, thanks for asking. You said that you were an English major when you first started, so you always knew that you were going to.
Speaker 1: Write a book. So when are you going to release your book? Aaron? Well, I have to like write one first, and I have to write a book proposal first. Yeah, it's been floating around in my mind for a really long time. I have said this for years, yes to people, to friends. I do really want to do that, and I just need to actually do it. So if anyone has any tips for like how to actually do that and accomplish that, and you know, let me know. We can't wait to read it. Yeah, I don't know what it's going to be about yet. Preon's would everyone read a book about prion?
Speaker 2: I would? I'd love to.
Speaker 1: Thanks done.
Speaker 2: Who's next?
Speaker 1: Who is next? Sophie?
Speaker 3: Henry Hi Sophie, So Sophie asks, what is the best piece of advice that either or both of you have received in going to grad school, med school, or working in science in general.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have now co opted this and we have like put it into our presentations, which is, don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good one.
Speaker 1: And also I actually think that we stole this or I stole this from Brian Allan, our PhD advisor, because he would whenever we were like stressing about grants or papers or whatever, he would be like, just put it down and then we can work on it. Just having something down. It doesn't have to be perfect, like, don't wordsmith till the end of time, right, just get started.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if this is specific to like grad school or anything, but I know and I think that this advice came from a friend that it is okay to change your mind personally and professionally. I think I've changed my mind about almost everything that at some point I was like absolutely not or absolutely always, and I've like one hundred percent changed my mind on things. And I think that's a part of growth, and it is okay.
Speaker 1: It is, and I think that's really important in the specific context, not just like personal context, you know, life context, but in career as well, if you're if you're like, I don't know, I'm not sure why I started this in the first place, don't be afraid to explore other options, right, and to be even if you're like, oh, but I wanted to do this thing since I was a kid, So it's going to change your mind to not want to do that anymore more you were a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and I think what's so awesome is that, like all of the things that you have done up until whatever point you decide to change your mind are still going to be valuable things, like they're just going to maybe be applied in a different context.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I love that question.
Speaker 2: Well, that's really similar to Carrie's question, which I think a number of other people asked too, which is what advice would you give to your undergrad self.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think same thing, like, don't be afraid to change your mind is a great piece of advice for that. But also this is like such a boring thing and I would not have taken it because I know I received this advice a lot of the time but never took it, which was, Oh my gosh, work on your time management skills. You don't have to be studying all night long, all the time, if you actually, like, you know, block off times in your in your day. I never ever did that until doing the podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah yet, and I mean I still don't do that. I still like very bad at it and a chronic procrastinator, So I could probably be better about that.
Speaker 1: I think I would.
Speaker 2: Give a similar advice to the idea that like, you don't you it's okay to change your mind, and like you don't have to panic every time that you don't know what's coming next. I spent I think a lot of time panicking. I still do. Oh yeah, when it's like you don't know it, like you know that something's about to change, but you don't know how it's going to go. That's that is life. It's life, and it's okay, and it's okay that it's scary. But you don't have to panic every time.
Speaker 1: Arin there are many different pathways and futures that can sort of like intersect, and it's not like you're shutting a door forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true. Oh my gosh, profound Erin, profound.
Speaker 1: Erin, I have a question for you. Actually I don't, but it's from Jess and Kelly. Okay, if you weren't science communicators slash doctor. Okay, what other career would you be interesting sit and exploring?
Speaker 2: Can I still say shark biologists?
Speaker 1: Okay? But like what else right now? Do you want to be a shark biologist? Right now?
Speaker 2: I mean, there are days when I wonder why did I ever leave marine biology? Yeah that's fair. Yeah, there were more days like that when I lived in Illinois. But there are honestly so many jobs that I think are fascinating that like, whenever I learn about a new job, I'm like, wow, I didn't even like consider that as a career path. That could be such a cool job. But I can't think of any off the top of my head right now. I know, yeah, what about you, Erin?
Speaker 1: I have always loved the idea of like working in a used bookstore and creating curated recommendations for people. But also there are it's just like so many things right you watch I love going on, Like some of the reddits that I love are people who are amazing at crafts. Oh, whether it's crochet or knitting, or ceramics or working, and I I just am like, well, I wish that I had spent my I guess I could still do it, but I wish I had spent more time, you know, doing this at an earlier age, to experiment, like what I liked, what I didn't like, et cetera. I don't know. I feel like there are so many things out there, and the more that I learned, the more I'm like, Wow, that could be a really cool thing to explore. Yeah, there's like, there's so much out there.
Speaker 2: Okay. I love this question so much erin especially because it comes from Sloan who's been listening to us since middle school and is now in college, so we are old, we are.
Speaker 1: In a way that I love it. Yes, I'm thrilled by it.
Speaker 2: But they asked, how have you felt like your views on infections and everything that we've covered have shifted since the start of this podcast, and really, how does this podcast inform how we go about our own lives? And other people have asked similar questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how do I like encapsulate everything? It's it's a really great question because I think it it is so one thing that we don't necessarily always do is like self reflect Onah, Like, how can I put myself in the mindset of the person I was before starting the podcast and what I knew about infections and the history of disease and so on. But I think the bottom line for me is empathy and realizing that so, like, these diseases are not just diseases, and they're not just like a timeline of events, It is people. Yeah, And that a lot of the way that we learn about disease, particularly as you get like more and more advanced in graduate degrees, it removes the actual humanity from any part of it. And so I think doing this podcast has been a great exercise in the constant reminder of, like, these are diseases that are happening to people, and who are living with these diseases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel exactly the same Aaron, And I feel like, especially getting to learn you do such a wonderful job going over the history of everything that we cover, just gonna cry. And I really feel like that context is something that I always missed and I would not have gotten anywhere else in my training in my life, and so especially as like a physician, I feel so strongly that the context that doing this podcast provides, like on a weekly basis, has made me a better healthcare provider. It has made me a better human I think that it has. It just provides so much context of understanding, like how horrible and terrible the world can be sometimes and how that affects so many things, Like everything is so much bigger than we realize if you look deep into the history of it. And so yeah, I think it's empathy all the way. And it's not like that's not the answer I would have expected from like we're going to start a podcasts called this podcast Will Kill You about disease, Like that sounds it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I wash my hands more right, Like yeah, probably, but no, I do empathy. It's empathy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh Maggie, Maggie, thank you for this question. Uh, it's a really relevant one. Yep. Do either of you ever experience imposter syndrome when you explain things on the podcast and get worried that maybe you're getting anything wrong and might get bad feedback. If so, how do you handle that? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we I won't speak for you, but I know we both you can, Okay, we both absolutely experience a lot of imposter syndrome. And also just like we try really really really hard to be as accurate as we can and to provide as much context and story as we can, and we know that not only might we get things wrong, but there are going to be things that we leave out out of every single episode, and so it's something that we're very conscious of that, like we're there are things that we're going to leave out, and so we just like we just try our best. And I think what we keep in mind is something that you said earlier erin, which is like, don't let perfection in the way of good. And so we try and think that by at least providing as much and as good of information as we can, we're doing something good by putting that information out there and worry less about what we might be leaving out or getting wrong, because the other thing is that if we get something wrong, you guys let us know, which is phenomenal and then we can correct it.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, I don't know if I have anything to add on that, but absolutely get I get worried, I get imposter syndrome, and yeah, we just sort of like we do go into each episode very intentionally wanting to like the amount of reading and research that we do that we then sort of narrow down to be like, Okay, what do we present, right, it is a very intentional choice, and we don't always get it right right because we are limited in it with time as well and with just sort of like bandwidth and everything too, but also because some of these concepts you need so many years to become an expert in. And so I think that like we we do kind of struggle with this balance sometime of being like, we are not experts, but we are telling you this information, and so how can we make sure that we're giving you the most accurate information and that if you want to learn more, here are our sources.
Speaker 2: Right. Oh, Aaron, here's a fun one, right. He Austin wants to know what is your favorite funny story that happened because of the podcast or related to the podcast.
Speaker 1: Let's see. I think that some of my funny stories related to the podcast are when I'm around someone who finds who's like, oh, I listened to this podcast will kill you, and they're like, wait, you did this podcast will kill you? So that that happened? Uh man. Two of my stories have weddings in them that happened at a wedding last year. And we were talking about how well AI would be able to generate a description of the podcast and it was surprising. It was terrifying, right, like really good. Yeah. And someone at the table was like, wait, that's sounds familiar. I know that podcast. That's the only podcast episode I have ever listened to. And I listened to it before doing interviews to get me hyped. And it was the episode about snake venom, and I was like, this is the best thing ever made me so happy. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it so much. Mine is a lot more awkward. I think that's classic me. One time I was at so if you're if you're listening, uh, I want to know. I want to know if you remember this.
Speaker 1: I was love this.
Speaker 2: I was at a Shakeshack, not like the brand Shakeshack, but this place called Shakeshack, which is up on the cliffs near Corona Damar, and I was getting Shakespeare. I pulled in to get some milkshakes and I was a little chilly, so I went to the car to grab a sweater. But the only sweater that was in there was my husband's this podcast will kill You logo sweater. And I don't usually wear our merch like in public public because I'm so awkward, but I was wearing it, and then I was walking back from the car, and someone walked past and said, oh my god, I love that podcast. Obviously didn't know who I was, but I just panicked and I was like, I get them up there and then and I had my dog with me, and I just kind of ran away.
Speaker 1: I can see this perfectly in my mind's I just ran away. So that was you, Hi.
Speaker 2: I think about it like almost every week about how terrible and awkward I was.
Speaker 1: Yay, Okay, next question, great question. Okay, so we've got the next few questions. Yeah, we just took a little skim over and they're kind of all similar thematically, and so it's kind of we're gonna let's do one, two, three, bom boom boom. Right, all right, so diego, Kaz, Patty, and Sarah all want to know various questions about our favorite diseases, the scariest diseases, the scariest hypothetical diseases, and the most interesting type of infectious disease transmission. Oh yeah, which is a tough one. Mm hmmm. H What do you think erin transmission? I think I would have to say vector borne disease. Yeah, I mean, I spent six years of my life studying it, and I do still find it fascinating.
Speaker 2: I do too, especially just thinking about all of the pathogens that are adapted to multiple different hosts, like necessarily for transmission. I find that just so fascinating evolutionarily and ecologically, well.
Speaker 1: Just like the trade offs, and like I think this applies to just patterns of transmission, right, what are the trade offs between being super specific to one host versus being able to be transmitted to a wide variety of hosts, or what if some vector born diseases that are specifically adapted to one vector one host, Like, there are so many different ways that disease can be transmitted and happen, and it's fascinating to think of the evolutionary history behind that. Yep, I agree.
Speaker 2: In terms of most terrifying diseases, I still think and this is maybe like not a fully fair question because this, I guess is a hypothetical, but like could very much exist, will maybe someday, is like the hypothetical disease if from contagion. Right, sure, the movie Contagent, where it was a pathogen that's transmitted by like airborne or droplet transmission, so like easy to spread has a very high mortality rate and can be transmitted before somebody is symptomatic.
Speaker 1: Right. We had said this long ago, I think in our influenza episode. We talked about it in our neupavirus episode, and I think that with COVID we really did get to kind of like witness that on a global scale, it's terrifying. It's terrifying. So yeah, yeah, yeah, yep. Hm. So like that's like this hypothetical example in terms of some of the pathogens I think that we've covered that are terrifying in a different way. Are the ones that are you know, the ones we always talk about like rabies, right, parasite manipulation of host behavior or pathogen manipulation of host behavior where there is nothing that you can do. I also still think prey are very just not not so much scary, but just like but how yeah. It really does sort of like stretch the boundaries of what we consider it to be infectious diseases or like what is a disease that is contagious? It's just what is a pathogen?
Speaker 2: Right? I guess, like like Tasmanian devils, Like what is a pathogen? What is a cancer? It's oh man, Okay, now we have just some really fun ones. Darcy wants to know, what are disease names that you think would be a beautiful person name.
Speaker 1: Okay, first one that came to mind was your sinia not yes, Okay, here's another one. What what about ari Aris could be actually in the right context and you call them toulee? I think that's cute.
Speaker 2: Oh. Similarly, Alexis wanted to know what if you had to have your last name.
Speaker 1: Be a disease? What disease would it be?
Speaker 2: Your last name, which I feel like is a little different than like a first name. I don't think i'd picked Tulee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what like? What else?
Speaker 2: I can't think of any I'm just because we're put on the spot.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I still am gonna go with Arius as Yeah it works, Aaron, your sinea doesn't work. No, Aaron, pestis could work.
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well good stuff, great stuff. Okay. So the next few questions are also linked thematically. All about books, All about books, which I am thrilled. I'm thrilled about, even though right now I'm also having a little internal panic because I don't have liked to be like, what have I read? Because Aaron I cannot remember I cannot remember. But okay, so rhiannon wants to know about favorite or best books about microbe slash microbiology. Besides, I contain multitudes, Ed Young.
Speaker 2: I mean erin you have to answer this question because you know, I haven't had time to read a book since at least before my school so that's really embarrassing to admit on the podcast. But there it is. You know, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, Like, so what I'm struggling with right now is the qualifier of books about microbes microbiology.
Speaker 2: I think, just what's your favorite science book?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to name two ones about microbes and ones about it Give it to me, Okay. The one about microbes is Spillover by David Kwaman. Okay, I read that before. I read that at some point during my PhD, before COVID obviously, and I thought it was absolutely terrifying but enlightening in terms of like how it's the one is one health right, you know, and that that framing was still something that we think about every single day so important. My favorite non microbe science book is probably an Immense World by Ed Young. I think about this book all the time. I think it is one of the most beautiful examples of science writing, and not just like in the sentence construction, but in how well Edyong is able to convey information. That is, he's able to not just be surface level but also actually teach you something along the way while entertaining you.
Speaker 2: You should see this sparkle in her eyes. And if you haven't listened to the book Club episode where Aaron got to interview ed Young, you definitely need to listen.
Speaker 1: It's just such a great book and it really made me think about the world in a new way.
Speaker 2: Well, similarly, Aarin, of all the books that you've read what in the last like five years? Oh, she can't. She can't pick a favorite. Sorry, Orianna, there's too many good ones. Okay, Okay, just gonna try.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like literally, when we were going through this list of questions, that question stuck out to me and I was like, Okay, I have to go through what I have read, and I can't find a favorite. I have a really hard time picking favorites about anything. But I would say I have two that I can remember in the last year or so that I've read that I've really loved. One is Matrix by Lauren Groff. Okay, I loved it. Check it out. That's fiction and then nonfiction. I really liked a book about the Donner Party called The Indifferent Stars Above, and I really appreciated how sensitive the author was and how empathetic the author was with the story, because you can really tell a donor party story that is like incredibly horrifict yeah, and like very kind of voyeuristic or something like that, where you're just like gratuitous violence and everything. In this I really felt like he did such a great job of putting you in the mindset of what it must have been like to be there, what it might have been like.
Speaker 2: Okay, love that. If you're not following Aaron Walsh on Goodreads, I don't know what to tell you it.
Speaker 1: Don't write reviews. Maybe I should. I don't even rate most of the books, Okay, okay, so okay. This next question is for me by Kristen, and it's about why I Aaron Welsh do not like Richard Preston books. So I have read a few, and I have found them somewhat helpful at times. The thing that I don't like, and I'm going to call out just the hot zone in particular, and it might even be like, let me just even be more, you know, I'll give more benefit of the doubt. The copy that I have has literally no sources at the end of it, and so I think that that is where it is. There's any science book that is conveying information in a way that is supposed to be educational or informative should have sources, whether those sources are from conversations or from papers or from whatever. So that's why I have a you know, teeny tiny issue with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to get like a season desist letter or something.
Speaker 1: Show me the sources.
Speaker 2: Okay, now we're just going to go fully silly, Nina, Thank you. I don't want to answer this question. If you were starving and your only options were a sandwich prepared with unwashed hands or a delicious three course meal, but every bite you took has a long hair in it, Ugh, which one would you pick? Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, no hesitation. Three course meal with hairs it would just be like eating a fish with like where you have to pick out the bones. I don't eat.
Speaker 2: I can't. I don't like that.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's more work.
Speaker 2: It's also not the same as fish with bones because it's a hair from someone's head or body.
Speaker 1: Okay, but like you know, I guess. Okay, two questions, what type of hair? Every bite? Every bite? I mean you'll take giant bites and there's one hair.
Speaker 2: But similarly, you're talking about unwashed hands, who's unwashed hands? How unwashed?
Speaker 1: Right? When was the last washing? And how dirty?
Speaker 2: And whose hand? Like is it my unwashed hands? Is it my toddler's unwashed hands?
Speaker 1: Is it? We're talking full soiled or just like lightly mildly dust. Oh, I don't know, it's that this is a hard question. Oh not for me. Three of course, gourmet meal. I absolutely, it wouldn't be gourmet. Doesn't it say three courses with the hair?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Agree to disagree? Yeah, okay, okay. Rachel and Alana want to know how much time it takes to prepare for an episode, finding the research, reading the articles and books, and writing our summaries. A lot, A lot, a lot, And it varies a lot based on the episode. Yeah. So for some of the bigger topics that we've covered, like menopause, like IVF, like.
Speaker 2: Three episodes, I think that took us like a month or more.
Speaker 1: It did, Yeah, But I would say in general, yeah, I a few solid days, like three to four solid days of reading and writing. As I'm reading notes like so, I'll like bullet point a lot of things, and then it takes me usually a couple days to summarize. Yeah, and then there's the whole day, like I usually take a day of finding initial sources, and then as I start to read and I'm like, oh, those citations look interesting, I should go find those papers. Oh those citations, and it's just like you do go down the road at all. Yeah, you do have to. It is sometimes hard to be like that's enough, We're going to tell this story and not the whole story.
Speaker 2: I remember when I was interviewing for residency programs, some of them asked me like, oh, are you planning on still doing the podcast during residency, because obviously residency takes a lot of hours per week And I was like, oh, definitely, and they were like, well, how many hours do you spend and I think I said, oh, I don't know, maybe ten hours per week. It was like such an underestimate. I ca Anyways, Yep, we survived it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot, but it's also really like it's fun work.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: But it's fun work just.
Speaker 1: Getting to read like something and learn something new every week, which we didn't get to do in grad school. I feel like it was very much in your.
Speaker 2: Field, right.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Ooh, Vivian wants to know what is something that you learned about doing this podcast that pops up frequently in your mind, and they provided their first answer. I think about maggots all the time. Now, yes, I'm the same. I also share my top quality pre on facts at barbecues. I want to go to your barbecue.
Speaker 1: One of us love those. I think, honestly. The thing that happens every single day and now I'm embarrassed for the second call out of an Immense World by Ed Young is the when I walk my dog. I genuinely every single time he stops and sniffs for what feels like ten minutes one spot. I'm like, but this is for him, this is for him. He's smelling much more than I could ever smell. This is enrichment. So I think that's probably the things that I think about the most. It is every single day.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that. I feel like there's a lot of things that I think about a lot. I think maybe the most though, is me, like just the whole concept of a backstory behind things like hysteria. M M. I think about that a lot. I think about our endometriosis episode. I think about how much the medical system has wronged people with a uterus like. I think about that and it infuriates me on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: Wow, mine is Mine's like my dog snuffing an old turd. Yours is like the misogyny in medicine over time. Try I change my answer. No, no, no kidding, uh okay. Ruby wants to know if we have other hobbies. Well, I guess the question was, what other hobbies do we have?
Speaker 2: I have no hobbies, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I'll ask the second question, is it weird going to the doctor?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Are you? Are you a doctor who doesn't like to go to the doctor?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Have you been that before becoming a doctor?
Speaker 2: Yes? I never liked doctors.
Speaker 1: I think people who don't like doctors end up being doctors. I don't know. That's a fun question.
Speaker 2: I am a terrible patient.
Speaker 1: Yep, Okay, I have a question for you. I'm just going with this now. When you get a doctor as a patient, can you tell not always? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not always.
Speaker 1: I've had that happen a lot.
Speaker 2: And I remember, like first year of residency, I had a patient who was like a second or third year resident or something, and I was talking with them about something for a really long time until we were like, oh, yeah, I'm in like whatever other specialty. And I was like, I don't know why you just let me keep talking for so long, but.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love that. Yeah. Yeah, I've always wondered is it like, ah, yeah, you must also be. But what about you, Aaron? You have hobbies? I read this. My number one hobby is reading. That's a good hobby. And I garden in the summer when it's not a million degrees outside, which I feel like it has been in Denver for a bit of time, although depending on when this episode comes out, but probably will be cool. And people are like, why are you complaining it's perfect weather but no gardening? Reading? Uh, you know, camping whenever we can, which is not very much, but that's basically it. Reading is my number one hobby.
Speaker 2: That's a really good hobby.
Speaker 1: Does it count as a hobby?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. Okay, yeah that counts as a hobby. I hang out with my family, but that doesn't count as a hobby.
Speaker 1: That's just a hobby.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's part of life. I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a hobby. Okay, I feel like a hobby. I don't know anyways.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this next question I'm going to relate back to the question about what's it like to be a doctor going to the doctor and so on and stuff like that, because I feel like it has to deal with patient relationships cool or just like in your in your real life, my real life, in real life. Cassandra wants to know if you have encountered any anti vaxxers in your personal or professional lives and how we respond to that.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. I live in San Diego, so definitely I think the thing. And again I think that this is part of what the podcast has made me much better at. Is not only like explaining things, and I think we got some questions later on about explaining complicated things to people. But when I have patients, which I do very often, who either don't want to get a vaccine or who have questions about a vaccine or about any other medicine that I'm about to recommend to them, or thing that I'm going to tell them that they might not want to hear. I think that doing this podcast has really made me have more empathy for understanding that everybody has a story about why they came to believe the thing that they came to believe, even if it is the exact opposite of what I believe, and even if I think that I'm right or whatever. And so I think that the way that I tend to approach that, especially in my professional life, because in my personal life, I don't know, maybe I approach it the same way, but especially in my professional life, I think I always tried to come from a place of trying to understand where that person is coming from. So, do you have questions about this vaccine? Like I'm going to bring up the flu shot. I see that you haven't gotten your flu shot? Do you have any questions about it? And if they say no, I might move on. Or if I think that maybe I've gotten in I might ask them a question, have you ever gotten one before? Have you had a bad reaction? What have you heard about it? Like most of the time I have found that just by engaging with people from a place of understanding and empathy rather than like a judgment of oh my god, how have you never gotten your flu shot? Don't you know you're putting people at risk or whatever, or like fear mongering like never works, but just meeting people are there and then knowing that, like, if you foster that kind of relationship, then you probably have an opportunity to talk to them about it again. And it might take many times of talking with someone about a topic that they feel really strongly about before you feel like you're breaking down a wall or something. But a lot of times you can get there, especially when it's someone who's just worried or has questions or is afraid and not like some people who just are never going to engage with you, and that's okay. There's some people who you just don't I and I generally just don't write.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say, like, you know, the people that I interact with, which is not very many, I am, you know, and I acknowledge, like many other people probably that I live in a bubble, right. The people that I spend the most time with in my day to day life are on the same page when it comes to vaccines and public health and the importance of public health. And during the times when I do interact with someone who is has mixed feelings or is strongly anti vaccine, It's challenging. It's challenging because it feels it feels like you're up against so much. And I think that sometimes it is a struggle to be like, Okay, how much energy do I have right now? How much bandwidth do I have to try to convince this person? And is it convincing this person or is it just answering their questions or asking them where they got their information and so relatives. I think this is one where it's like, Okay, I hear you out, I hear you out. Are they receptive but knowing that sometimes they're not going to be right? And that's okay, Like it's okay for for you to just say I can't do this right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I have a lot of experience doing this because it's like part of my job when I'm being a doctor, right, like to try my best, like to have a conversation with someone, and like I know that vaccines are important for individual and public health, So like I'm gonna I'm gonna have a conversation. I'm gonna try, but like I'm not about to have a fight with someone on the internet. No, no, no, so yeah, it's it's picking your battles a little bit too. Yeah. Yeah, right, okay, well this does Aaron. Our next question from Pamela, and I think Laura had a very similar question. How do you go about breaking complex science and history into a language that a general audience can understand? And do you have recommendations for people who might want to get into psycom?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, breaking complex science and history into language the general audience can understand. You know, I think this is something that is so important and that is under prioritized in training, in grad school training. Yeah, in our experience, in our experience. You know, we went to grad school. We graduated from grad school six years ago. Yeah, so a long time time. But I think that there are many different things that you can practice. And what we do is that when I am reading all this information, I'm thinking of the story that I want to tell, Like how do these pieces fit together? How do I hook Aaron at the beginning and the rest of our listeners, Like what is the interesting thing I'm going to lead with? And then how do I explain it after that. One of the biggest problems that scientists run into is using jargon or over using jargon, right. And it's really easy to do that because that's what we've been trained in, these overly complex concepts that we spend so much time learning, you know, you forget how you learn them. And to have that to be able to say something like hypoxia, call out, call out my husband John. That's a good example to say hypoxia. There's a lot of information that goes into that one word, and it's a shortcut. And so jargon and these these complex concepts are shortcuts, and we rely on those because they make communication more precise and clear in a scientific context, But when it comes to chatting with like the general audience, it's not it's not helpful. And so when we're telling stories, you know, we have the almost like it's a it's an advantage of we're coming cross this information almost for the first time ourselves. So when I'm reading about the history of hemochromatosis or neurovirus or something like that, I've never read about this before, or if I had, it's not been as in depth, and so I'm learning it at the same time that I am thinking what I want to teach Aaron, right, And putting it in an order that to me makes sense, And so I think that's one of the biggest helpful things, is just sort of keeping in check with myself, like, Okay, how am I reframing this in my own mind? And then how can I use that then to teach Aaron?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do a very similar thing. And I also I also use my husband a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Brett.
Speaker 2: I will be like, can I just read this to you? Can you tell me if this makes sense? And like check in with someone. So I think a lot of times it is practice, right, It's like practicing your story, bouncing ideas off of someone to make sure that something is clear or if there's a better way that you can explain it, and just making sure that we're not using jargon as much as.
Speaker 1: Possible, which I know I am guilty of a lot of times we all are. It's like, and this is not something so you know, this kind of answers the second question or goes into it. So recommending what would we recommend to scientists who wanted to get into sycom like podcasting is just like practicing at it and not being too worried that you get it wrong, right, Like because It takes a long time, but you have to practice and you have to ask for feedback. You can't just be like, go out in the world and start doing science communication and not want to and not get any feedback, because you need to know what things you need to improve on and what things, what things are working, what things aren't working. And also, you know, I think this is an advice that we give in workshops, which is just like, be intentional about all that you do, about the words that you're using, about the questions that you're getting, and about what you like about different forms of SIcom you know what works for you, Who are your favorite creators, why are they your favorite creators, what are your favorite stories? Like all of this is just being very intentional with your science communication.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leah would like to know, are there any specific areas of epidemiological research that you're excited to see evolve and develop in the next few years or decades? So many, so many. Yeah, in medicine, and I think this is true in public health as well. I think that we are really starting to understand how important communication and feedback and like things other than just diseuse metrics and stuff is. Like the human side.
Speaker 1: I guess of it all.
Speaker 2: I think it's so important, and so I think I hope that that will continue to be something that people focus on and research and like the human impact of all of these different chronic and acute illnesses that we see and how people like live with them and experience them and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a great I think that's a great answer. Online the online the internet is double edged sword or like many edged sword. But I feel like one of the things that has has been great is raising awareness and sharing experiences that I think has highlighted some of the ways that medicine and science has failed, right, you know, failed patients, failed the general public, and how we can do better at that. And I think that there are you know, is it going to take time, Yes, but I think that there are people who are really invested in making this a better situation for everyone, because we have to have everyone on the same page if we don't want this rise in anti science. I feel like I'm lecturing, but like I feel very strongly also.
Speaker 2: Can I say, like universal health care in the US? Can I say that, I really really hope yes, But that's a thing, ye that we see soon.
Speaker 1: I would also like to add these AI and machine learning oh death, and like how that's going to help just make sense of some of the patterns that we may not see or help like things with drug discovery, which we've already talked about a few times on the podcast. I think there's so much potential there.
Speaker 2: Talk about double edged sort that gonna have to be careful but has a lot of potential. I know, like so much, so much potential and woof.
Speaker 1: Okay, with great technology comes great consequences responsibility. Yeah, yeah too. Oh this question is just the best. Okay, Okay, I love this. Andrea and Eloise have asked and I'm a quote word for words. He's very cute. Yea quote. I listened to your podcast with my mom in my comfiest outfit, a homemade TPWK why shirt we tied eyed, my shark Jammi's and comfy song.
Speaker 2: I love that. I want and I.
Speaker 1: Wanted to know what's your comfy outfit. I'm not wearing it right now, I'm wearing jeans same.
Speaker 2: I don't know why we chose this.
Speaker 1: I'm sweating, sweating. My comfious outfit is just like, oh, actually I have I just popped into my head, give it to me. This is so embarrassing. I full Kirkland gear. Yes, I have my Kirkland branded sweatpants Kirkland signature. They're the gray version. They're the comfiest sweatpants I own. I wear them as much as I possibly can. And my Costco embroidered sweatshirt that when I bought in Costco, the you know, the person who was scanning me and like doing the checkout was like, oh, yeah, everyone's buying these as white elephant gifts because who would want to own one of these? And he's like, is that what you're buying this for? And I was like, no, this one's for me, not sponsored, No, just genuinely love Costco and Kirkland branded gear wear. Oh my god, that's my comfiest outfit.
Speaker 2: That's a really good comfious outfit. I don't think I have one as specific. I can't top that erin, I don't.
Speaker 1: Have like a comfius T shirt, Like, what is your go to T shirt?
Speaker 2: I think my go to Like the comfiest thing is when I steal one of my husband's T shirts.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure those are always mine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So I one of his T shirts and then like a pair of very loose Actually, I have this one pair of shorts that I They're like, I could never wear them in anything remotely considered public because they're just like very very small and very loose.
Speaker 1: Are this someone's from your mom? No?
Speaker 2: I don't think so, Okay, No, I bought. I think I bought these like right before I delivered my first kid as like comfy clothes to wear postpartum, and just like still wear them all the time. Also several pairs of postpartum likings.
Speaker 1: Although okay, anyways, Oh, I love that question though it's a really good ones.
Speaker 2: Elsie would like to know how many times has someone commented or spoken to us and said that they were diagnosed after listening to an episode.
Speaker 1: You know, this has been one of the most incredible and I'll say it against surreal moments of this podcast where we do get emails, we get messages where people say, I listened to this episode and it kind of resonated with me in terms of my symptoms. So I went talked to a doctor and I have this condition. Yeah, so it's you know, it's several, it's any people. It is a surprising number of people. And I feel like that is what has been so incredibly powerful, Like.
Speaker 2: It breaks my heart and fills my heart at the exact same time, because I don't want anyone to have to live with all of these things that we cover. And I cannot believe how thankful I am, or maybe thankful is not the right word, but how grateful I am that we were able to help somebody in that way of being able to like be empowered with more information and things like that, Like it's really.
Speaker 1: It's it's.
Speaker 2: One of the best parts of the job. That truly And when people get their flu shots for the first time after listening, yes, or like, oh, I need to check out my boosters, right, do I need my tea Depp or so many of you who now are like having careers in public health and epidemiology and science and medicine.
Speaker 1: Like I we read every.
Speaker 2: Single one of those comments, you guys, and it we're not doing a good job of explaining how incredible and amazing it is.
Speaker 1: I think we're it's it's overwhelming, Yeah, and we don't know how to articulate how.
Speaker 2: How think how thank you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like how it just I still cannot believe it, Yeah, and it still feels it feels not real. Yeah, Like there are times because Aaron and I record this well most often in other places, and it's just us talking to each other, right, it is just us talking to each other, right. And occasionally we'll do you know, seminars or keynotes or workshops or whatever, and it's like this is you know, we have an audience, right, But for the most part, it still feels like it is just us. And so then when we get these emails from people all around the world, it is I don't I don't have the words.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think we're doing a good job our ticulating ourselves. But we are just so immensely grateful for every single one of you listening. You don't understand the impact that you have had in our lives.
Speaker 1: Yes, so so thank you.
Speaker 2: We love it. Okay, well I'm going to cry, so we should move on. Oh a fun one erin sure Selena wants to know what is.
Speaker 1: A book or movie that you wish you could read.
Speaker 2: Or watch again for the first time. I have an answer for this. I have read books in my life. I just haven't been able to read the last few years because I just read papers like for the podcast. Anyways, Golden Compass, Great Golden Compass, and like that whole trilogy I reread every few years because I just love it so much. And if I could experience that, especially the third book, my heart being ripped out of my body for the first time again, I would love that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, absolutely, yeah, okay, okay, I just had to take a full on computer break to worth it. We want a true as you know, and I still I still have like several I feel like I'm going to do the two first. I like, I feel like Fingersmith and the Sparrow, great books. Love those. Wish I could read those again for the first time because of the way it evolved throughout the narrative evolved throughout the book. But the other book that I think I wish I could read again for the first time because it was so surprising to me was Cloud at Lists.
Speaker 2: So, okay, I remember you telling me to read this, Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: So what happened was when and this might be now spoiling it for like the experience for people, So if you don't want that, just skip ahead, like me thirty seconds to a minute when I was in between my undergrad and my masters and I was having to like, do a bunch of microscope work in this neuroscience lab. I would listen to books on CD back then, Wow, uh yeah yourself a little bit. Oh yeah. And I picked out Cloud Outless because the cover looked interesting.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 1: I knew nothing about it, didn't have good reads back then, and I just popped in the first CD. And then I got to the end of the first CD, you know, end of Disc one, switched to Disc too. I put in Disc Too, and I was like, oh, are you kidding me? Somebody scratched up the entire CD. It was. It was a totally different narrator, totally different story. And I was like, I don't understand what is going on here, but I have nothing else, so I'm just going to go with it. And it turns out that that's the way the book is. It breaks off abruptly in between chapters. And that made the entire experience, not going into it knowing that made the entire experience so much more compelling and surprising. And I you know how I hate spoilers more than anything, well, not more than anything else, but they're one of my biggest pet peeves on this earth. Saying that there's a twist in a book is a spoiler. I stand very firmly in that, you know, that's my very strong position. Yeah, and so this has also made me realize how much not knowing something about a book or a movie or a TV show, that's that's my preferred state of being right before I you know, partaking.
Speaker 2: Right shares it. It shapes the experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh so that was a very long answer, but I wanted to give context. No, I agree.
Speaker 2: I like that too, when you don't know anything about what it's going to be, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Aaron, Yeah, I this is such a great question. Kiara wants to know if we could have only one type of sandwich for the rest of our lives, what sandwich would you pick?
Speaker 2: And why? This is a very difficult question for me. I know it's not hard for you.
Speaker 1: Got it, got, cut it back, Go go Italian sandwich with like provolone, you know, pickled maybe like jardonara on their vinegar, just like cured meats, pickled vegetables, melted cheese.
Speaker 2: I think that this only feels difficult to me because I feel like my answer is very boring and I feel like I should have a sexier answer. But I think that my if I go to my heart of hearts, my answer is the sandwich that I wanted so badly both times that I was pregnant and I was like terrified of listerious so I wasn't eating any lunch meat, and that is turkey sandwich on sourdough bread or like something similar with like I don't know, a cheddar cheese, a lot of mayo. I don't need bacon on it. Some avocado would be great, some lettuce that's crunchy. I don't care that much about tomatoes. Plus or minus. It's like a it's a turkey sandwich. Is a boring turkey sandwich?
Speaker 1: I mean? Is an Italian sandwich sexy? It feels like it? Yeah, with like jardinia and like some peppers like ooh ooh you know No I love a turkey sandwich.
Speaker 2: I yeah I do too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I love this question because like we've been we've been reviewing these questions as they've come in, and so this I feel like has generated a lot of conversation outside of Yes the podcast, see it's the other great answer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think anyone has said like a meatball sub yet. Know what about grilled cheese. Ooh, I forgot about grilled cheese. That would be my kid's answer for sure. Oh but then there's pep and j Right, I'm okay with not eating pep and ja. Ever again, I had so much during fieldwork that I.
Speaker 1: Am okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Well, thinks Shira would like to know. What is something interesting that each respective Aaron doesn't know about the other. I don't know we have anything.
Speaker 1: I really don't know, like especially something interesting. Thing is there's nothing interesting about me. I'm like, I own this many pairs of socks, Like you don't know how many pairs of socks I own.
Speaker 2: But that's not I know that you wont know way too many pairs of socks, is what I know about you? I love I'm gonna shout out dark dart, but I think here's the thing, is, like we know everything there is to know about each other.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you.
Speaker 2: Aaron loves weird flavors like grape it's delicious so gross, Nerds, ropes and nerds, jelly oh God, nerds.
Speaker 1: Jelly beans need to go off of the shelves because it is a problem. I love them. Yep.
Speaker 2: Anyways, yeah, okay, So next question, Heather would like to know. Oh this is similar speaking of nerds ropes. Yes, what desserts do you like? And I would love it if we got to eat them at Mile High API C conference.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, I love this year and I feel like you have great answers for this.
Speaker 2: I love almost every dessert. Yes, I love let's see, I love cheesecake. I love a chocolate dessert. I love almost any kind of pie. I love cream pies.
Speaker 1: I love fruit pies, fruit pies a little.
Speaker 2: Less than cream pies, if I'm being honest, chocolate pies. You know what's funny is I don't love a cake, but I will always eat a cake.
Speaker 1: You don't love a cake? Nope, I don't love a cake. Are you including cheesecake in that?
Speaker 2: No, cheesecake is separate.
Speaker 1: Is cheesecake a cake?
Speaker 2: Yes, but cheesecake is not cake. It's not okay, Okay, No, this is good. Yeah, Like I'm talking like a layer cake, like a cupcake cake. You know that's a different than a cheesecake. All right, I love cookies.
Speaker 1: There's not a dessert. So those are your favorite desserts.
Speaker 2: There's a long Listen. Favorite is a strong word, like you were saying about books. That's how I feel about to share it.
Speaker 1: Here's a question, is I don't have good reads for desserts? But you could say, maybe, all right, if is there a dessert where if you saw like a table of desserts, you would be like, no, I'm okay if even if that's the only dessert on the table, you know what I mean? Like, is there a dessert that I would reject?
Speaker 2: Or like a.
Speaker 1: Style of donut we'll say, you know, like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: No, especially not donut. I love donuts. I don't actually think that there is, and it's to a fault, like even maybe the like cruddiest of like conference cookie, you know the ones.
Speaker 1: The ones that have like let sugar cookies with the frosting, or like.
Speaker 2: Just like a you're at a conference at like a cruddy hotel and they bring out the like tray of cookies and you can tell that they're like meally, you know you know what.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about. No, you don't.
Speaker 2: Someone out there does that Those might be the only thing that if I were super full, I wouldn't eat. Is like a cookie okay, that doesn't look like a good cookie. Okay, But otherwise all those little like not I would eat most desserts.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, what is your favorite ice cream flavor? If you could have one ice cream flavor? I love? This is my favorite type of question, if you could have one ice cream flavor, one sandwich.
Speaker 2: Because here's the thing, is you like these kind of hypothetical questions and I don't.
Speaker 1: It's not going to happen. I know it will be allowed to have whatever ice cream you want.
Speaker 2: Dressful I I don't. I don't have an answer to that.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: I love ice cream so much. I can't pick one flavor. Okay, that's fine to have to I'm stressed out. George would like to know are there any episodes that we'd like to revisit, re record, add on to, or go back and connect more explicitly to episodes that we recorded later.
Speaker 1: Question. That's a doozy of a question, and I think the short answer is yes, Yes. I think it would be really interesting to approach well, to approach some of the diseases we've already covered, particularly in the earlier early episode seasons. Yeah, from a different perspective, Yeah, like from more of a either, like from a the like I would like I would love to do a germ theory episode where it's like, what are the actual steps instead of just like and everyone knows germ theory happened, then you know.
Speaker 2: Aaron, we could still do that could okay, like we didn't cover and we've talked about germ theory.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I would also love to revisit in more depth some of the ones that we did, because I feel like there are so many stories that we didn't tell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's true of so many I think that was what was fun about re kind of redoing Influenza, our very first episode, right because yeah, especially in our early season, we just know how much we left out because we didn't know what we were doing.
Speaker 1: We know what we're doing, but yeah, I think just different perspectives of things, and I feel like we've been doing that more like the history of the stethoscope or what is a fever? Stuff like that, where it's like, let's take this and then spin it a little differently instead of just our usual format, and I've been really having it it's with That would be really fun. Yeah, I agree, Thank you for that. Gank Taren would like to know what our favorite thing is that we have learned recently.
Speaker 2: I want to steal yours that you taught me earlier today.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, But did you know.
Speaker 2: That cows can swim? Aaron just taught me this as we were reading through these questions and showed me a video of cows like jumping off of both.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That was the most surprising part of it is that they left off of the no alsitation A cow a cow like a regular looking cow, A beautiful looking cow. I am to an island.
Speaker 2: To grace it did not the way they went underwater and came back up. Wow, I did not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were real nervous the first cow leap. Yeah, it's not well.
Speaker 2: And when the two leapt off at the same time, I was like, how's that gonna go?
Speaker 1: Great? They were fine. Yeah, that is one of my favorite things. Yes, that's what I was going to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we have a couple of questions.
Speaker 1: We're almost done. We only have a couple of questions.
Speaker 2: Lest Yes, Sydney and Carol would both like to know will we do any live shows or have we ever thought of going on tour or doing more seminars?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, definitely yes to the seminars and workshops, I come workshops and putting those together to try to you know, like basically take what we have learned this bizarre podcast experience that was totally unexpected and helped teach other people to work on their pyecom skills. So totally absolutely, seminars et cetera live show tour would be really fuck what would you all want them? Let us know? It sounds really nerve wrecking? Does sound nerve wracking? Like we're not performers, Like we got into this because we're scientists. Even right now, we're sweating and we're like just in a room with each other.
Speaker 2: We're just nervous, sweating this whole entire time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, yeah, but we are.
Speaker 2: I think there was a question earlier about like what's your hopes for the future, And I am really excited. We've been trying working really hard on kind of like expanding all that we have learned about science communication into these like workshops and seminars that I'm like super excited about moving forward. So yeah, if you have an organization or are part of a university or whatever and you're interested, shout out to our tech page on this podcast. We till You dot com we would love to come talk totally.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have one last question. Oh my gosh, this has been really fun.
Speaker 2: I know, better than I expected, even though I'm nervous sweating.
Speaker 1: I'm nervous sweating, but also it's just felt really good, like I don't know, I know, to talk about some of these things, especially the three course meal versus that. Okay, last question. My last question comes from Casey, and it is what are you most proud of about the podcast?
Speaker 2: Every one of you listening? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: Also, I sometimes feel ridiculous just how proud I feel of this podcast. Me too, Like I love so much that we are able to keep doing this, And it is one hundred percent because of every person listening.
Speaker 1: Absolutely it is. I mean I can't I can't even add any to that, like that is it is all of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can we be proud of you? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We are?
Speaker 1: Huh yeah? Oh wow, this was fun here, This was really fun. Yeah, I loved it. I love doing this podcast with you.
Speaker 2: Too, forever, Aaron. No, I have a second thing I'm really proud of. Oh actually this is really important. I know you do, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Can I can I guess what you're about to say, yeah that we're still really good friends throughout this whole thing. We get to be best friends still. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That is that. So when this was part of the conversation that we had when you decided to do this podcast full time, it's like we knew that that was going to be very stressful and a lot like okay, now we're business partners, yeah, and we knew that that was going to be really hard and stressful, and we said, Okay, if we are going to do this, our first priority has to be that we stay friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we did. We did.
Speaker 2: We just spent how many days like together non stop? And I still love you.
Speaker 1: I still love you too.
Speaker 2: We're so cute. We should stop now.
Speaker 4: Yeah all right, Yeah, I mean I don't know how to end this other than like thank you all again.
Speaker 2: And sorry that we didn't get to every single question. There were so many great ones. Thank you all again for so many of your questions. Thank you for all of the kind messages that you wrote. Yes, yeah, we said, it means the world so much.
Speaker 1: It really does, and we also appreciate you like yeah, yes, letting us keep doing this, Yeah, writing to us about other things other than questions. Like, we love getting emails from you, messages from you. Yeah, yeah, we should. We need to, We need to cut ourselves. We've got to wrap this up.
Speaker 2: Thank you also to Bloodmobile for providing the music for this episode, every single one of our episodes.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Leana Sculacci and Tom Bryfogel for all the incredible audio mixing.
Speaker 2: Couldn't do it without yet. Thank you to everyone at Exactly Right Network.
Speaker 1: Thank you to you listeners. We've said it a million times, but we're gonna say it again. Thank you, thank you, thank.
Speaker 2: You, and a special shout out as always to our patrons. Your support means the world to us.
Speaker 1: Totally wow. Well, until next time, wash your hands you feel the animals