Speaker 1: Right justin middle of the field forty five to fifteen, bring Bruss in front.
Speaker 2: Of all leaving lions in his way. I am Jeff Joniack Wlitz is on donec us what was like playing for coache Good?
Speaker 1: Done.
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer any questions like that.
Speaker 2: Sixty one yards? What's Sunday stroll for? Justin field?
Speaker 1: Ye Bears et cetera with the voices of the Chicago Bears Jeff Joniac. Despite the fact the stage was sent for the dawning of a new day in football's oldest and greatest rivalry, the Bears were unable to grasp the moment at disappointing thirty eight twenty loss to the Green Bay Packers Sunday afternoon at Soldier Field. Welcome to episode fifteen of The Bears et Cetera podcast with Super Bowl winning Bear Tom Theyer. I'm Jeff Joniac, coming up to each week after the game, head coach Matt Eberflu spent some time helping us break it all down. We'll be doing so shortly, but first got to thank our producers, Dan Really, Jordan tread Up, and Katie tuber I just couple of players. They're still feeling that hangover the lost time. And I met with Dick Bucks for quite a while, and so someone who didn't have a ton of experience on winning teams certainly knows what it's like to feel the pain of defeat, and it just it does drag you down a little bit. I know, it's onto the next game and eyes forward, that is Matt Eberfluss's a big phrase, eyes forward to the next But it's hard to get rid of it a little bit when you so invested like you have been over the course of your career as a player and as an announcer.
Speaker 2: You know it's got a sting. Jeff. If it doesn't sting, then you're kind of in the wrong business.
Speaker 4: And if you go through the process and you kind of correct the mistakes going to the team meeting and have thick skin and understand that every single player in there is going to get criticized in front of their peers.
Speaker 2: But how do you rebound from that.
Speaker 4: It's not like you completely throw away the entire game plan and all the information that you've been installing since OTAs you go and refine the good things, own correct the mistakes, you make sure that people are in the right place, understanding their assignments each and every down, each and every play.
Speaker 2: And that's the great thing about football, Jeff.
Speaker 4: You can go from having the worst feeling in your football athletic life one moment to having the greatest feeling a week from that day. So I think that's where you have to stress the point, that's where your.
Speaker 2: Focus has to be.
Speaker 4: And as mattieber Flew says, you got to look to the future.
Speaker 1: How did you handle losses? Seriously? And you didn't have many, but how did you handle them? Because you know, did you lose sleep at night? Not not just about the tape review, I'm just saying, like the actual disappointment of walking off the field, especially in big leverage situations, big games.
Speaker 2: It was different for me, Jeff.
Speaker 4: I'm a local guy, so when I walked out of the home game, I was eye to eye with my whole family. I didn't necessarily feel like a failure, but I know that they felt bad for me.
Speaker 2: But I was more concerned for.
Speaker 4: My living, for my occupation, to the way I made money, to everything I strive for my whole life. So it was something that hung with me for a period of time.
Speaker 2: And then you can't.
Speaker 4: Ignore the film sessions, because our film sessions at times are super critical. And Mike Ditka ran the projector, and so you had to understand the plays that you did miserably bad on. He's going to point them out time and time again. And when you're an offensive lineman, Jeff, you see him four or five times. It's not like they just go buy them and say, hey, you got to do better here, Let's move on to the next play. Corrections are made and maybe some hints about how to use your technique and thinking better.
Speaker 1: I felt winning the opener was imperative for a number of reasons. I was vocal about it. Not that it'll make or break the season. That was not the intent of my statement, but it's the Packers and you don't get a plan again until week eighteen. It's how they've handled the Bears with a lot of ease over the years. Players are sick of losing to the Packers. It is a brand new team. I get it. But I just felt that this was going to have reverberations potentially, and fans are sick of losing to the Packers. There's no other way.
Speaker 2: We all are.
Speaker 1: But I just felt it would been a nice platform moment. Now it's over. It's definitely over. There's things that we've learned about the team through this game that will benefit them moving forward. It doesn't lessen what I felt was an impactful moment that could have been embraced.
Speaker 2: I agree one hundred percent. Listen, I'm still in a bad mood over it.
Speaker 4: When I go home after a game like the loss of Green Bay Packers, I can't listen to sports radio, I can't watch football highlights on TV. The next day, I go home and you study the tape of the game and you kind of look at it as if you are an active player. What are the things they did well? What are the things that are immediately correctable?
Speaker 1: All right, let's do you take let's do the exercise.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, if I look at you know what do I need more of?
Speaker 4: I need more of DJ Moore earlier in the game and more targets in the course of the game.
Speaker 2: I need more of Cole comment on first.
Speaker 4: And second down to put yourself in a more makeable second and third down scenario. Roshawn Johnson has earned more opportunities for me that I need to feed him the football more. Whether he's a blocker, a wide receiver, or a running back.
Speaker 2: Nate Davis impressed me.
Speaker 4: I thought he played much better than I expected of him because he hasn't played in training camp very much.
Speaker 2: So if I'm going to go and revisit jeff.
Speaker 4: A third and one and fourth and one early in the game, I'm going to go behind Darnell Wright and Nate Davis. That is going to be my impact point. When I look at the defensive side of the ball, I'm gonna put more emphasis on the game of Tremaine Edmunds. Whether do you I make an attempt to blitz him?
Speaker 2: Do I allow it?
Speaker 4: Do I put him in more coverage responsibilities out of the backfield maybe versus tight end? How am I going to feed the defensive backs more opportunities to create interceptions rather than broken up passes? And then the defensive line rotation, It's going to be a contest each week whoever is getting the most value out of their reps is going to earn more playing time. And I remember back in the day when Jimmy Johnson became.
Speaker 2: The coach of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 4: It was the first time that I really recognize a wide variety of rotating defensive linemen, so you really can't fall into a pattern of playing against the same guy every single snap, and you understand and learn his tendencies. So I think this is a group of athletes that they can move around. You can put Dominique Robinson up and down the liner's scrimmage. You can use Yannick and Gaguay up and down this and both sides of the ball. You know, you have a guy like Javon Extra can play inside and outside. Zach Pickens has good explosion, Andre Billings Andrew Billings is very strong at the point of attack and he can play. So all these guys that have these talents, and I'm not excluding Justin Jones. I'm just trying to say as many names off the top of my head in how I would look at the tape going forward.
Speaker 1: Well, the interesting thing too, DeMarcus Walker, he played a lot of inside. He came inside on Nickel, and the same goes for Rashim Green. I mean, these guys, they do have that versatility to do exactly what you said.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and I think that's one of the strengths of a lot of these athletes. They have the ability to play anywhere, and sometimes it's the identification of film study of your opponent. Where are the vulnerabilities of the offensive line that you're getting ready to play against. Who is our strongest rusher in certain circumstances that can expose their vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Those are the types of things that you have to study.
Speaker 4: And I'm sure the entire pre scouting department for the Chicago Go Bears looking at the Tampa Bay Bucks give these guys a great list of notes in how to look at those guys when you're getting ready to face them.
Speaker 1: Right now, when you spent over two nine ninety nine dollars at stein Hoffels, you'll score a one hundred dollars Bears Pro Shop gift card. Visit any one of the four Chicagoland locations in Vernon Hills, Crystal Lake, Downers Grove, and Harwood Heights, or shop online at Steinhoffels dot com. Now time to hear what the status from house is with head coach Matt Eberflus. I sit down with him on Monday. All right, Welcome to a new version of Matt Eberflus. This is the Bears et cetera podcast every Monday after every game we're gonna wrap it up. What do you think good? How are you doing today? I'm good, I'm good. How about you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right.
Speaker 5: We had our team meeting, you know, and talk to the players about, you know, just about the standards of what we're going to do in terms of after a game, you know, reports and action, how we're going to.
Speaker 3: Handle this, you know, win or lose. You know.
Speaker 5: So it's a twenty four hour rule, and it's important for us to understand and the corrections we need to make to get better.
Speaker 3: By each position.
Speaker 5: And it's always going to be the player and the coach working together to handle those things and get those things corrected and also to build up on the things we did well.
Speaker 3: And that's what we're always going to be about.
Speaker 5: And the guys had the right attitude today and you know, he had great communication in both unit meetings to make those improvements. And it's got to get done on the practice field this week.
Speaker 1: Do you also, though, allow that each player individually deals with loss or performance good or bad, in their own unique way, and no matter what is said and how the plan is, they got to go through their own look in the mirror a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you lose a game, it's it's it hurts, you know, because you put so much into it during the course of the week and there, you know, especially for the first game, there's so much bill up to it, and you know, you got to recognize that, hey, you know it was the performance that I had. I did some good things. There are some things that I need to improve on, okay, and that maybe fundamentals or technique or it might be your assignment and you need to prove those because how you get better as a professional athlete is you improve through the course of the season. You know, you get more consistent, you get better every single week. And when we do that collectly as a group, it's going to be good, good outcomes.
Speaker 1: What do you get when a guy doesn't do anything well, how do you handle him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You just you work with them. You work with them.
Speaker 5: You just you know, it's your job as a football coach to work with the guys that are under you, you know, and that are working with you, and uh, it's your job to also develop the man mentally, you know, physically, and also you know him also as his spirit as he brings it into the game.
Speaker 1: There's inherently a lot of overreactions in Week one around the league, things are really high. This team is all of a sudden this then something expected over here doesn't happen. You look at Joe Burrow in Cincinnati. I mean, talk about a tough day. That was a tough day for Joe Burrow. However, with all that attention and this ending the way it did like last year, and the influx of talent this year, could you see why people feel a little flat today out there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I sure do, I sure do. But we also remember that's a long season. You know, there's a lot of football to be played. We played, you know, sixty five snaps you know on offense, you know, on average and defense, and twenty five in the kicking game. So and there's over a thousand snaps on offense and defense you know, during the course of the year.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot of ball to be played.
Speaker 5: You know, everybody's looking to improve from week one to week two, regardless of outcome, and we've got to put our best foot forward this week.
Speaker 1: Again, you can't talk about last year, but it's just as a reference point. A lot of games playing from behind. Again, in this game, Bears never had the lead against Green Bay. Yeah, hoping to see what this team actually looks like when the defense can play on a lead and what that does then for the offense as well, because that complimentary football thing takes on a whole new look. I mean, you still haven't really experienced that yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's you know, last year at the Newing game, we did you know for that that was we were playing from the lead there, you know, and I think it's going to be good. You know, we got to really do a good job of because we can, you know, run the ball, you know. I think that's important that we can do that, and then we need to play good pass defense and take the ball away when we do get that lead.
Speaker 1: We are sponsored in part bying Miller Lite, the official beer of the Chicago Bears. Taste like Miller Time Chicago. Jeff Joniac, Matt Eberfluss on Bears, et cetera. This week, poor starting field position. That's going to kill you every time. It's tough if you're not a team that has had a lot of success together. It's a brand new football team this year. Starting behind the chains, unforced, all these things that added up the field position was very different for both teams. Almost a great place to start that and third down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say that we looked at our first stouting efficiency, you know, the P downs P and ten which is the start of the series, then first and ten within, and we need to improve on those.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: Defensively, we were very good on p downs, you know, we were really good. I think they average two point two. And then offensively we were really good in the first downs within, you know, but it was to start this series we got to improve on those.
Speaker 3: For offense.
Speaker 5: So again a lot of those were either pre stat penalties or there were perimeter type screens where we took.
Speaker 3: Some losses, you know, so we have to do a.
Speaker 5: Better job blocking on the perimeter and making sure our operation is clean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's the key on those perimeter blocks?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just about aiming points, okay, and then being us sustain you know. It's it's all about aiming points in your technique.
Speaker 1: What is the proper technique?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just say that.
Speaker 5: We're aiming for the outside shoulder, okay, and that's our aiming point. And if he tries to go under, then you got to be able to work your feet back inside, you know, because you got to start, you know, trying to circle the defense is the operation for that play, particular play. And if he tries to work back inside, you got to work your feet back inside, because it's all it's all about your feet.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, I attacked Alan Williams about this last week, just about tackling for the first game.
Speaker 3: Did you think it was good missing nine?
Speaker 5: We didn't end up missing three on one play and that was that QB scramble that we ended up stopping him on third down on the sideline, on their sideline, So really we missed, you know, so that's still pretty good. You know, we want to get that number down to five or less for a game that's outstanding, and we'll achieve that a few times this year. But nine's a good number. Single digits a good number. I thought the corners tackle well. Tyreek, as you know, had had just outstanding tackles. And I've been saying that since day one that he loves to hit, he loves to tackle, and that was good to see. And I thought Tremaine did a nice job tackling. You know, that's a big back over there, and you know, he does a really good job. And they got that also the other back that's a good player too, Jones. So guys at a decent job with that all day. Like I said, yesterday, we ended up stopping the run. It was two point nine, which is a big emphasis for our defense this year and going forward.
Speaker 1: Quarterbacks who are really good at manipulating with their eyes to open windows opportunity, and Jordan Love did it on a couple of occasions yesterday. What's the defensive counter to that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it depends on what coverage you're in, what concept you're in. If you're in a true zone, it's just about being disciplined in your zone and not not melting with the quarterback's eyes and staying in your zone. But if it's a match principle, you're gonna be matching numbers, so it doesn't really take you off of your coverage. And again we do both things, but it's uh, it's just about being disciplined.
Speaker 1: Did you have a lot of mental area yesterday?
Speaker 3: No? No, we did not.
Speaker 5: We had we we had physical errors and technique stuff that we got to improve on. There was not There was not a bunch of mental errors. So it was really more of a physical thing that we got to improve on just technique and fundamentals.
Speaker 1: Talk about loving the physicality of the game. Ro Shawn Johnson man, we've seen it all camp. My favorite play of the entire day was flattening Rudy Ford. And I think that's the kind of run much like a big hit on defense, it gets the whole sideline rowing. I thought that could have been a benchmark moment in the game, even though we're trailing. Do you agree with that? Do you agree that a run like that, you know, running through somebody, finishing your run like he did, can just inspire a team to get something going.
Speaker 3: You can see that for sure.
Speaker 5: You know, you saw early in the game when we had that big hit, you know on defense. You know Yannick had that hit on the toss play. You know, we had a couple of TFLs there. But and again, it's certainly running the ball like that, you know, the physicality of that certainly. You know in Chicago with the Bears fans, you know, they certainly appreciate that type of style.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of the alumni obviously we're in the house, had a big number I guess at the at the event on Saturday night, over one hundred I think showed up, which is fantastic. But some some legends out there, Dick bud Gets one of them. Well, the Galton has been here in a while, former Super Bowl Bear wide receiver. I know you you appreciate all that they were all there. I'm certain certain you weren't shaking hands before the game and seeing everybody. But uh, it's good to have those guys back in town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it always is.
Speaker 5: I see those guys frequently in the in town or in the summertime at the golf course or you know, or in the facility, and those guys are always great.
Speaker 3: To talk to and be able to visit with.
Speaker 1: Bucks, Mike Evans, outstanding, Chris Godwin. You got Baker Mayfield, you got Vita Vea to deal with, and you got the heat. All all adds up to a pretty tough contest. Huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, the NFL is a great league, right, It's a lot of parody. So we got a challenge ahead of us. You know, we end up starting to put our game plan together today and in the next couple of days and bring the guys back in on Wednesday, you know, and we've already talked to him about being able to being prepared, so it's not a big deal for us.
Speaker 1: And like the weather park, yeah, the web part because Tom's crazy about it. He told me it's going to be ninety with eighty five percent humidity. Now it's down to like eighty six fifty chance of rain and maybe sixty five percent, so still be hot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that's so we're we prepare our guys early for that uh in the week, you know. So the preparaight is right, and it's you kind of climb to that part of it in terms of your hydration, and we don't.
Speaker 3: Make a big deal out of it after that. So it's just about education and go.
Speaker 1: Down there and let it rip hies forward.
Speaker 3: You got it, thank you.
Speaker 1: As you might expect, Tom Matt is consistent. He doesn't get too high, he doesn't get too low. He does not get too high when the Bears get a win, and he doesn't get too low when the Bears get a loss. He is stung by this one, There's no question about it. You heard him, and you know it's but it's almost in his vernacular, the cycle of the snap. It's the cycle of the season. It's the twenty four hours of the old cliche, but it is definitely digging into Tampa Bay corrections made today. They got to now get their grades, get a game plan going, and go back to practice on Wednesday. And many of the things that people were critical of he didn't discount, certainly, not at all. Yes, he'd like to get the ball pushed down the field a lot more more action for DJ in terms of targets, but take what the defense gives you. Also, I did think they tackled well, which I was worried about in Week one. You always worry about in Week one. Around the league, I talked about using that game against Green Bay as a cleanser right to get rid of the pass. But now the real cleanser has to be in your own locker room and in your own preparation and planning and your performance the execution. The execution's got to be cleaned up.
Speaker 4: Sometimes you could take ten plays out of the game and you could simplify to the decision of the quarterback and you could put your offense in a more aggressive, advancing type of position.
Speaker 2: For example, the interception that Justin threw.
Speaker 4: To kway Walker, if you look at the outlet receiver to the left was wide open. And it's an easy decision. Justin's not going to get hit. He doesn't have to hold onto the ball, just throw it to the playmaker on the outside. And those are the types of things that it's going to expedite the learning process for Justin Fields. He's a young guy. He hasn't been around the NFL very long. He only played it couple of years of college football. So I think when you go into a game plan, you go, Okay, how can we can simplify the decisions and make it more immediate response. That's one play that can go from a touchdown for the opponent to a long gainer for the Bears.
Speaker 1: We talked about third down. To me, it was the game. It was the game on both sides of the ball. What's your recipe to repair the third down situation, especially third and long because third and six plus are killer and it killed the Bears yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well offensively. I brought it up a little bit earlier.
Speaker 4: I do think there's a target like Cole Comet and DJ Moore, but I'm gonna use Cole Comet more as a reference because i think he's a really hard matchup.
Speaker 2: If you're going to try to find a linebacker that can stay.
Speaker 4: With him, or a defensive back that has the size to cover him. If you can use him on first and second down, and then you put your team in a second and four, maybe a third and three. There are so many more things that you can choose out of your playbook that can pick up those types of yardages.
Speaker 2: If you go back.
Speaker 4: In, hey, you have a bunch of third nines, you're really playing into the hands of the pass rush no matter who you're playing in. A blitzer like Todd Bowles will take advantage of Van Tampa. And it's just like the defense, what can Allen Williams do to supply a little bit of unknown pressure that can maybe come from a defensive back. You love the corner blitz or even one of the talented linebackers the Bears have, but it's about the defensive line winning rushes at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 2: However, you have to use your creative creativity in the game.
Speaker 4: Second play of the game, Tampa last week, they blitzed Antoine Winfield Junior. He came in and he hurt. He hit Kirk Cousins. The same thing you're going to have to be aware of as a quarterback.
Speaker 2: For the Bears.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing that you could use with the Bears. I don't know what the status of Kyler Gordon is, but he's a good blitzer. I think that a guy like Tyreek Stevenson's got a great willingness to tackle.
Speaker 2: I would like to see him.
Speaker 4: As a possible blitzer. Jakwan Brisker, he's a stud. He can come from any area, and we've seen it in Eddie Jackson's background.
Speaker 1: So the Bear started three drives inside their twenty average starting position twenty four point three packers, eleven possessions, most possessions in the NFL so far in Week one, averaged the thirty eight point seven yard line for starting field position. Now that's turnovers, that's the punt return, that's kick on you know, you name it. All these things mattered, and then you put yourself in position right out of the opening kickoff with a penalty that sets you up deep in your own end. So these are the types of things. These are repairable, though they are.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's hard to ignore the science of the third and one in the fourth and one, because when you have a failed attempt like that in your own territory. Then you give the ball to the Green Bay Packers in less than half the field to go for a scoring opportunity. That's something that if you do take it chance like that and you fail, your defense better be able to answer the bell right at that moment. There's not a bunch of notification where you're telling these guys get ready for this. You ignore that, you make the attempt, and once it's failed, you have to have the defense that goes out there and plays at a high, high level.
Speaker 1: Lead this right into one of our sponsors. Take a chance. Download the Bette Riffers app today. Jeff and Tim here on Bears, etc. Let's talk about the running game, Tom. I know you touched on Rochan, but it took twenty nine carries to earn one hundred and twenty two yards. Fields had nine for fifty nine on scrambles, the three backs nineteen for sixty three. So a lot of Rochean fourth quarter numbers with Cole. So I don't know how.
Speaker 2: You evaluate it.
Speaker 1: I do believe this team is still going to have to run the ball to great success to help justin fields.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, how do you rant to run the ball early? You have to have a physical frame of mind. Early in the game, the very first running play, they brought the tight end across the formation a wham.
Speaker 2: Type of motion.
Speaker 4: He went to cut the defensive end Preston Smith. Preston Smith was able to avoid the block. You have the blocker laying in the hole and Preston Smith making the tackle for maybe a one yard game.
Speaker 2: I think when you initially start running.
Speaker 4: The ball, you want to allow your offensive line to be in the most powerful position they can possibly be in. And what did you learn from this past game? One of the better getoffs of the offensive line what I saw, was Nate Davis.
Speaker 2: So if I'm going to look at plays that I want to make sure.
Speaker 4: That I get positive yards as immediately as possible to influence the defensive coordinator and how the defense is looking at me.
Speaker 2: I need to see where my position of strength is.
Speaker 4: And look, I grew up on an offensive line that when Jimbo Covert came aboard, he was a dominant blocker.
Speaker 2: When Mark Boards made.
Speaker 4: The switch from defensive tackle to offensive guard, he was a dominant blocker. So there was always a point of emphasis that we knew that we had to go two point and I think that's something that the Bears have to figure out within their structure as the time goes by. And time is going by now, so it's got to start Week two in Tampa.
Speaker 1: We're brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. All right, let's talk about Kyler Gordon again. We don't know what the severity of his hand injury is. Was a right hand injury. It was wrapped up after the game. We'll find out on Wednesday what his injury status is. To me, it'd be a mighty big loss. One of the keys to that secondary for me was the youthful exuberance and now the knowledge earned. As you say, knowledge earned. His knowledge gained, right, So last year he gained a lot last year working both outside and inside, and he was just ready to go. He was ready to go this year, had a great training camp. But I like the youth of having Jalen Johnson, having Tyreek Stevenson, having Kyler Gordon, Jakwan Brisker and the old Vet and the Captain Eddie Jackson on the back end. I like, you know, the chemistry of the five is to me not as important as the chemistry of an offensive line. Or how a defensive line works in waves, but that chemistry of the back end is so significant to locking down coverage and having assignments commit Jalen Johnson talked about it on Monday, saying, hey, some of our communication wasn't on point. Did that have anything to do with Kyler not being there or having a rookie in the mix? I mean, I don't know specifically, but you know some of those things, those coverage responsibilities, and it would have been nice to have that not out of the gate, to have a blemish like that.
Speaker 2: Knowledge earned is greater than knowledge learned.
Speaker 4: That is a quote by Claude the Great Clyde Emrick, and it is so true when you learn about the more experience you have on your feet, the more you're going to be able to develop.
Speaker 2: And I think chemistry and the defensive.
Speaker 4: Backfield is equally as important as the chemistry on the offensive line. So earlier in the year we were looking at where listened to an interview by Jakwan Brisk and he was talking about how he felt the chemistry and the communication was so much better than it was a year ago when you had.
Speaker 2: Those guys that they talked about.
Speaker 4: But it's the guys that are waiting in the wings for their opportunity to play.
Speaker 2: They have to be up the speed immediately.
Speaker 4: It's not where you have to bring in a fill in for Kyler Gordon and say, okay, you have the luxury of making a mistake.
Speaker 2: In the defensive backfield.
Speaker 4: If you make a mistake in the defensive backfield, whether it's communication or coverage, that's going to lead to a first down or a touchdown. So everybody's got to be on board and understand exactly what their responsibilities are. This week in Tampa, it will be a little bit easier communicate because the crowd will be quiet when their offense is on.
Speaker 2: The on the field.
Speaker 4: So if Kyler Gordon does not is not able to play, then the practices that they're going to go through during the course of the week, they have to almost make eye contact before the snap and the ball, understand the placement or the receivers at the line of scrimmage, and understand everybody's responsibility. And just like coach Stanfeld, our offensive line coach, you say, he goes, hey, if I'm talking to Jimbo Kobert, I have to have Keith van Horn and Tom there know what I'm talking about, because every single guy on the offensive line has to know everybody's assignment, and I think that's equally as true for the defensive backfield as it is an offensive line.
Speaker 1: Well, Josh Blackwell got some snaps yesterday obviously filling into that. Nickel Roll also played last season, very good special teams player, and I like the way he is that he mentally approaches the game and how he is physical about the game so well this.
Speaker 4: Then, Jeff, if Blackwell does play now, does he is he removed from his special team's responsibilities where he makes some unbelievable plays there. Now, whomever has to fill in and those special team spots is going to be expected to bring the same level of physicalness of understanding of what the responsibilities are, because sometimes those responsibilities are just as difficult if you're playing regular offense or defense.
Speaker 1: Good news, Chicago United Air Lions is getting brand new planes with all the bells and whistles like Bluetooth connectivity screens at every seat in the room for everyone's Rollderbag United, Proud to fly the Chicago Bears, and you too. Jeff and Tom rapping things up on our podcast reviewing the loss to the Green Bay Packers. A little business today, Dylan cole Re signed. That was kind of the planet appears was waved last week to allow the arrival of a player to fill in because he was still working through a hamstring. But back on the roster. There's a financial component to that with veterans being on the roster after one week. So he's back in the fold. That big business taking care of on Monday. And he's a nice he's a nice addition to the special teams unit and a veteran that has a lot of linebacking reps. So hopefully he's a healthy return. All right, let's take a gander as the Bears are about to do at the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. You touched on it with Todd Bowle, and really the next two weeks, not to look that far ahead, but the next two weeks with Steve Spagnolo in Kansas City, I think the Bears should prepare themselves for significant pressure packages the next.
Speaker 2: Two weeks exactly. You know, pressure packages, that's what you get.
Speaker 4: But you're going to have a three four style defense out of Todd Bowles. You're going to have a four man line against the Kansas City Chiefs. So there's gonna be different types of assignments between each of these teams. The thing about it is is you have to realize your responsibility and pass protection and if you're an uncovered guy, exactly who you're looking at in case they do blitz. If you're a running back and you have a pickup of a linebacker or an exterior blitzer, you got to be willing to go up there and meet them and stop them in his tracks rather than getting pushed back in the face of justin fields and all of a sudden he feels urgency to eject the pocket. So I think every one of the offensive linemen, the running backs there are all going to have to fulfill their obligations against a really blitz happy head coach. They'll never be on the field, but what he's calling from the sideline, his intentions are to speed up the thinking process of the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Baker Mayfield run of the show offensively for Tampa Bay. What is this is fifteen fourth team already in one year, but you know they're looking to him. He made a big play at the end of the game to ruggedly stay in bounds and pick up a first down. Took a big hit, so he's a fiery guy. And they did that on the road at Minnesota, tough place to play. They ran the ball thirty three times for seventy three yards. They didn't get a lot They had thirty five passes for one hundred and sixty nine yards and they didn't get a lot of yards per play, but they still won the football game on the road. So this tells me that they're a plucky bunch.
Speaker 2: Tom And you know, he's a pretty gritty guy.
Speaker 4: He can avoid sacks, he's willing to run at defenders to try to get extra yards when he's going for a first down. But to me, it's a really interesting monster in Tampa because you have a quarterback he is uncertain about his future, and then you got their best receiver and Mike Evans, who's not going to be offered a contract after this year. Is this guy going to be making business decisions if someone's out there to really lay him out in the middle of the field, or is Baker Mayfield going to feed him the ball even more trying to increase his opportunity. So he's a high profile receiver at this stage of his career and is Mike Evans as well as he's done in Tampa. I don't know how I would feel if a team told me this early in the season that look, we're not going with you going forward, So you know, go out there and put your life on the line for us, and you know, do as do the best you possibly can. I don't know how a guy could go out there and really, you know, put himself in harm's way if that instant comes comes up.
Speaker 1: And I don't know where you get this notion that I a Baker.
Speaker 2: Mayfield like his commercials to commercials.
Speaker 4: I know, so you know, you know, quarterback in commercials. You know, if you if you don't do well, you don't do commercials anymore.
Speaker 2: If you do well, then you keep doing commercials.
Speaker 1: Listen, you know, I don't know if you've noticed the commercials for Wendy's with nil going on, Caleb Williams of USC and Matt Liiner are sharing the spotlight spotlight doing that's that's that's that Hollywood money over there. But they're doing commercials already.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I get a kick out of it because as well as Dion Sanders is doing at Colorado, I see a topic on TV is Deon Sanders a new face of college football. And I think it's kind of insulting to Caleb Williams because you know how many two time Heisman trophies there has been in the history of college.
Speaker 2: Football, one one Archie Griffin.
Speaker 4: So here's a kid that's on the cusp but possibly earning a second opportunity to win a Heisman Trophy. If I'm looking at the face of college football, I'm looking at a player.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking at a coach.
Speaker 4: I'm not looking at Nick Say, but I'm not looking at Kirby Smart. I'm not looking at Dion Sanders, although I really admire what Dianna is doing.
Speaker 2: If you want to.
Speaker 4: Look at the face of college football, look at the players, and Caleb Williams if he wins a Heisman Trophy at the end of the season. Two guys in the history of the sport winning the Heisman Trophy two times in their career, it's a heck of an accomplishment. And you think of Archie Griffin being a running back when they devalue what a running back means nowadays in football.
Speaker 1: One other note on Tampa Vida Vea and the guys up front. They're very good front seven solid that really good players on the back end of that defense as well. So on first down, Minnesota in it just nine times on first down, Bucks allowed twenty two yards two point four four attempts. So the Bears on first down against Green Bay, they ran it. Let's see fourteen for forty nine at three to five ozho Fifteen of their twenty nine rushes went for four yards or more. So that was about a little more than half. Are you gonna be able to run a ball against these guys?
Speaker 2: You know what, Jeff, I don't need to.
Speaker 4: It's more exhausting to rush the passer than it is to stop the run as a defensive lineman. So if I have solid pass protection, and I know that I have like I said, Cole and the other group of tight ends I have DJ I have Darnell, I have Chase.
Speaker 2: Claypool, I have Tyler Scott.
Speaker 4: I'm willing to throw the ball on first down as much as I need to and get myself in a more makeable second, third down situation, because if you run the ball on first down and you get no yards to one yard, also, now you're looking at second nine and then what's the result of that place, So you know, there's you can change the game plan a little bit if you feel that you have assets to gain more yards rather than the offensive line just you know, running into a wall of defensive linemen and linebackers.
Speaker 1: Right now, when you spend over two nine and ninety nine dollars, it's Steinhoffels, you'll score a one hundred dollars Bears Pro Shop gift card. Visit any one of the four Chicago Land locations in Vernon Hills, Crystal Lake, Downers Grove, and Harwood Heights, or shop online at Steinhoffels dot com.
Speaker 2: Just one thing real quick.
Speaker 4: Back in the day, we are playing the Buffalo Bills when they had Bruce Smith and they had Darryl Tally and they had this really good defense. We rarely ran the ball that game. We play action pass and through the ball mostly the whole game, and we beat him convincingly. So it's possible if you think outside the box and what how can you help your offensive teams the most.
Speaker 1: Tampa Bay had three takeaways of the Vikings, two sacks of Kirk Cousins in their Sunday win on the road. All right, that's going to wrap us up. I'm hoping to have some of that Dick Buckis conversation, had chance to sit down with him for quite a while. He was a six three and forty on linebacker.
Speaker 2: But if he.
Speaker 1: Had the fitness and the nutrition and all of what these guys have today, what type of player would it be? And he basically said, I don't know if I would have liked to play today. I like the old way where you hit people. You're playing those band boxes, you're playing Wrigley Field, you're playing County Stadium. It's intimate with the crowd. It's I just think, and he goes. I don't think he ended the interview. I don't think anybody loved the game more than.
Speaker 2: Me, And I think he would have been a center.
Speaker 1: Well, he could have been an All Pro center. He was told that many times. They tried to get him to play that late in his career, but instead he destroyed centers. The mctingle, Hooffs, the Flannagans in Detroit, the guys. He told great stories. So we'll hear's some of that this week.
Speaker 4: I mean, he still has a legendary persona. He walks on the field and you know he doesn't have to be introduced. They look at him and they know who he is.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: He sat down with Tremaine Edmonds. They talked to me like two guys just sitting at the bar talking about linebacking play and Tremaine Edmonds really enjoyed it. It was sitting next to NFL royalty. It was a nice little thing they did. So we'll hear that on the Bears various platforms down the road. All right, Tom, that's gonna wrap us up Bears Weekly on Thursday night, special edition, five pm at ESPN one thousand. We're gonna be joined by Wada and Sylvie. Tom up here at Hallis Hall, and we're back with the next podcast on Thursday.
Speaker 3: We'll air it and.
Speaker 1: That'll be our preview of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. So get ready, start watching some tape, Tom, and write down more notes anyway for Bears head coach Maddy Reflucing.
Speaker 3: Tom.
Speaker 1: There, I'm Jeff Jonihah. Thanks for listening. Everybody, Please subscribe to this podcast now the Chicago Bears official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcasts. We'll talk to you soon. Bear down
Speaker 3: Less the first seas