Speaker 1: Hello, Texans, Welcome to the program big Thursday night edition of Texans All Access. As we have John McLean coming up in the next segment, John Harris and I though, we had a chance to visit with the quarterbacks coach for your Texans, a guy who played at Humble High School, Texas A and M. He's been around the NFL and now he's the QB coach here in Houston. Gerard Johnson. All right, coach, let's talk a little bit about the Bears. But first wrap up week one for us, good quarterback play. You've seen it all camp really and into week one that has to be gratifying to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's always good to come out with the win, especially week one. I mean for us, I mean for most teams in the NFL, it's the first time that that group is together, you know, and so say with us, we have a lot of guys coming back. Of course, he has a new addition, and so really you don't really know what it's going to be like until you get out there and battle together, you know. So for us to come out with the win was huge, But there's definitely a lot to clean up. Definitely a lot of things that we can do better. You know, I thought CJ played well, We played well enough for the win, but at the same time, we know there's things we can do to kind of make us a little more efficient so we can keep pushing along.
Speaker 3: Coach.
Speaker 4: Before the game, I was talking to Matt a little bit, Matt Burke, and he felt pretty confident about the plan they had, But then he said something that kind of resonated with me. We've talked about this a little bit going into week one, and that is it's kind of a mystery, you know, you kind of get that Scooby Doo mystery machine, like you might see something a little different. Even though we see these guys a lot, it might see a little bit different. How long did it take in week one? How long does it usually take kind of week one to go Okay, they're doing this. They did this in week eighteen, but now they're looking at like this. I would imagine as part of the thrilling job of being a coach to kind of figure that out. But how long does that kind of take as you're on the sidelines trying to figure that all?
Speaker 3: I mean, I will say at least.
Speaker 2: By halftime we can all sit down and have conversations about what we're seeing and at least at the very least you see like how they're trying to attack us, we can try to anticipate what type of game?
Speaker 3: Is this going to be a man game? Is it a zone game?
Speaker 2: You know, they trying to pressure us, Like what exactly do like big picture we think they're trying to do. But I do think that's why training camp are so important. At the end of the day, I think you're only as good as your core plays, the things that you do and you know in and out where it's a base base defense for us and offense. Just the core concepts of things we do. That's what you lean on when times get tough. So going into week one, you want to put a lot of things out there that you know, you have confidence that if we see anything that that you know, anything that may surprise us, we know that we can fall back on our training. This is the play that we just execute really well. I think our guys did a good job of that.
Speaker 1: We see practice during training camp and it's ones versus ones. It's really healthy competition. You get a lot of simulations of oh that pocket is collapsing, got to get.
Speaker 3: The ball out.
Speaker 1: How do you work on that in the regular season during the week, how do you simulate those things so you can continue to be good at it?
Speaker 3: You know, it's just you.
Speaker 2: You get good looks from your scout team, and I think Demico really demands that our guys practice hard or there's our scout players. We have a couple periods a week where we go good on good. Still of course we're never going to the ground. It's in the pretty control setting. But at the same time, like you want to keep you know, Demikos want to keep your iron sharp, but making sure we're still even we're going to scouts team, we're giving good looks. But you just try to be intentional in everything that you do. And you just still trying to find ways for me, whether it's an individual period, like I'm just trying to find ways to keep the quarterbacks uncomfortable so we can kind of manage and function in an uncomfortable setting because at the end of the day, when when the pockets burning down, it's uncomfortable and we got to thrive in that setting.
Speaker 4: Coach, I want to ask you about both your quarterbacks because it felt like watching your training camp that we saw a lot of growth in Davis Mills as much as we saw growth in CJ.
Speaker 3: Strouts.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you about the growth of both guys. What have you seen in your quarterbacks and CJ and Davis from gear one a.
Speaker 3: Year or two for CJ, but year three to year four for Davis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think for CJ, it just starts with, you know, just the challenge of from a leadership standpoint on and off the field. He's always been abbing the guy's rally around him. But as far as on the field, just like be a fixer out there, Like what can you do to make someone else's job easier?
Speaker 3: How can you help you know, some.
Speaker 2: Of our newer players with the scheme, what can we do from a cadence standpoint? We can use more cadences now so the D line didn't get a jump on us. You know, we can do different things in motions, We can add more shifts, just kind of putting more on him from an operational standpoint to find ways to gain that extra edge, all while him still getting you know, trusting his eyes and getting the ball out on time and just playing at a high level like he did last year. And you know, I think as a quarterback, you're constantly chasing that perfect game.
Speaker 3: You know, it's really hard to do. It's a hard position in sports.
Speaker 2: And I got a lot of respect for both of those guys on just kind of their temperament and how they've improved. And then Davis, I was just it was cool to see Davis. I mean, like I said, I think Davis has started talent in the NFL. I'll be the first to say that I'm a champion of Davis, and I think he's a really good player.
Speaker 3: He's a great person.
Speaker 2: He works really hard, and I think that he's put in a lot of work for him to his reaction time, his ball placement, his accuracy, his base, his footwork, all the different things that allows his ability to come out. And that's my biggest thing for him is you know, I think he's an extremely talented quarterback, one of the top end talents in the NFL. But consistency come from efficiency and what can we do to where that.
Speaker 3: Talent can be on display over and over and over again.
Speaker 2: Because the league isn't about who's good, is who's good the most right? Who can we call tim plays? Can we on point nine out of ten times, if not ten out of ten times. And it's a lot of hard work that goes into that. And to his credit and CJ's credit, they put a lot of hard work in their fun to coach.
Speaker 3: Gerard Johnson with us.
Speaker 1: All Right, So if you're gonna be a good quarterback, you have to take advantage of all the opportunities to get better, and sometimes you have to create them for yourself. Right, Like a basketball player can shoot jumpers in the gym. As a quarterback, what can you do? What should you do away from the building, off season, whatever the case may be, to continually improve.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean I think what I love is man. Our guys love football, you know, so even in their off time, I mean, those guys are always doing things, try to get themselves better, whether it's their body, their diet, getting the guys to get or to throw. I know, both of them go, you know, like CJ. Gosa to his guys in California who just really fine tuned by mechanics and those things.
Speaker 3: And those guys at three d QB do a really good job.
Speaker 2: And then I just try to keep challenging them to try to find drills and for me, a reactive state, Like we're constantly a reactive state at quarterback, and so I try to add a reactionary element to as many drills as I can that they don't know what's coming next while why while still being able to maintain their fundamentals, because that's to me, that's the best you can do. To try to simulate a game and try to put them in as many really bad situations as possible and see if they can find their way out of it in a drill setting to try to, you know, prepare them for the game.
Speaker 4: You brought up something, Mark just brought it up. You brought it up, the three QB. The private quarterback coaches tutors. I mean, I've heard over the years, you know about you know, there are certain quarterback tutors that are like, hey, you know you should be listening to us versus your coaches. And there are some that are like no, no, no, your coaches want you to do this. We're just working on the mechanics. How do you kind of look at that that balance between you being the quarterback coach here with you with Houston Texas, but you got your private quarterback guys that are working with your quarterbacks throughout the offseason that kind of thing. How do you kind of kind of you kind of manage it, how do you kind of see that relationship.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that you know, it's all about trust first off.
Speaker 2: But I do think that you know, one, I lived in that world right trying the quarterback guru space for lack of a better term, for a while, and so I have a respect for what they do. I do think also me being a high school coach and my parents, my dad being a coach, like al out of respect for coaching, and it's not mutually excluded, like we're doing two different things. But I think if there's a healthy respect amongst each other to where like I understand, their whole job is to get make their client happy and to get their quarterback to throw the ball better. And then for us as coaches is what can we do to get our team better? And that fits our scheme because I think that's the that's the defining defining factors, the combination of technique versus scheme.
Speaker 3: Does this technique match what we're asking you to do from a play standpoint. I do think we're professionals.
Speaker 2: It's easier because we just tell the quarterbacks look like you guys are in control, right, You're paying someone to help to train you. So just go there with it, awareness stuff, what we're asking to do from a technique standpoint, and then you know, go get the training.
Speaker 3: Because we don't have the time here to sit and just.
Speaker 2: Work on purely getting the ball to spend two more revolutions tighter. That's just not what we do as position coaches. So I do think there's a place forward. Those guys really good job, But I think it's up to the player to really kind of set up the boundaries of here's what I'm willing to fix, here's the non negotiable. And but at the same time I talk to those guys, they talk to me. I think we all have trust, we all communicate with each other. At the end of the day, we all want what's best for the player, and whatever we got to do that, we'll get that done.
Speaker 1: Gerrod, you were with multiple NFL teams as a player. How did that help you become a good coach, being around a lot of different quarterbacks, different systems, different coaches speak to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it just gave me my perspective. You know, every every team is different, every organization is different. Every quarterback room is different. I've seen so many players play, I've seen so many different ways to throw on the ball.
Speaker 3: I've seen so many different quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Process, I mean, or how they process the game week, whether it's Roethlisberger or Cutler or even Russell when I was in Seattle when he was you know, young in the league, and Flakka when I was in Baltimore, and then just also quarterback coaches. So like for me as a quarterback, like you get access to a lack of our term, the c suite of any organization, right, you get access to management, whether it's you get acts to the quarterback coach, the coordinator, the head coach, the moment you put on your red jersey. And so I was able to be around a lot of really good guys, and I just think my perspective and you just you do things long enough, you just run into a bunch of experiences that kind of shape the way you think about things to where that ideally, when something comes across my desk or a situation happens, I can pull from some some experiences of mind and maybe give some insight that can you know, give a solution to the situation.
Speaker 4: Coach who played some big games last year at the end of the year, Indie playoff games, et cetera. But a Sunday night game in Houston, how cool is that? And getting ready for the Bears? What do you see on tape? And how excited are you for this one? Obviously with a big challenge against Chicago.
Speaker 3: I'm super excited. You know, I have a lot of respect for the Bears.
Speaker 2: I've got a lot of respect for you for even flues To their head coach, and a lot of the guys on that staff. We were in Indie together, Yeah, over three years with coach flues Man, and I think he's a heck of a Coach's defense is fast, they're opportunistic. I mean they they're going to try to make things uncomfortable. But at the same time, I think that, you know, I think Bobby came up with a really good plan this week and we'll see what happens on Sunday. But you know, I expect the app your atmosphere to be great. I think night games are always a special special on national TV. That's the ones you dream about as a kid. And I think our city is going to show up and show out and I'm looking forward.
Speaker 3: To it, all right.
Speaker 1: George had your number retired by the whole high school. Congratulations?
Speaker 3: What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: For me, it was just full startle man. I spent my childhood at that school. You know, my late father, Larry Johnson, was a coaching principal. They're an educator for over twenty years. So I was a ball boy.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Some of my fondest memories are being three four years old, terrorizing that gym and all the staff and Umble High School. I was probably annoying the heck out of but I think that the first off coach Robert Murphy at Humble High School. I mean, it was his vision to bring us all back and kind of honors in that way, and so I got to give him all the credit. It was such a I didn't really know what to expect, man, but it was blue all expectations out the water. I think our families, all of us, and our families can say that we really enjoyed it, and it's we appreciate it because we poured so much into Your high school experience is special to everybody.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: So I know obviously your dad ranks high in this, but coaches who have had a big influence on you. And where does John Lopez rank in that he stopped ten?
Speaker 3: No, no doubt, you know he's top ten.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I've had some good coaches, man, But like some of my best experiences was AU basketball.
Speaker 3: That was a huge part.
Speaker 2: How passionate in the Hoaston Hoops and John Lopez and I think Christian Beg is running it now, man. And but just those AU experiences taught me a lot about life, Yeah, traveling, you know, playing competition. I mean, so I love playing for the Houston Hoops and John was our coach, and me and Jacob and and Vince and our whole crew from I think eighth grade on. We played a lot of basketball games. But I just want to touch one more thing on the humble deal, man. Like the coolest thing for me was also the guys I went in with. So my dad coached it either was a coach or a principal with majority of the guys who also went in with me. So like David Gibbons, David Boston, bertrand Barry I were the number one. Because David Gibbons were the number one and his nickname was the Bullet. So my little League Football, Jersey was number one and I wore throughout my career. And then to hear Sammy Davis say that he wore thirty four because of David Boston he was playing. And then to hear David Boston say he worked thirty four because of bertrand Barry. It was a generational kind of thing that kind of went on as we all got to talking and Jackie Battle and all the other guys. Man, it was cool to see just kind of how we all had somebody to look up to, and I mean shout out to Humble, Texas, my hometown and the village of people that had helped raise all of us. Man, we're a product of that, and we couldn't be proud of to be from there and to be honored.
Speaker 3: Well, congratulations on that. In best of luck Sunday, Thanks jro.
Speaker 1: I appreciate Johnny that young man has head coach written all over him.
Speaker 3: Oh. I think he has a hat that says future head coach.
Speaker 1: No, he doesn't, but I feel like he should, because clearly you are looking at a future head coach in this league.
Speaker 3: You just feel it. Maybe college too. I don't know what he wants to do.
Speaker 1: We didn't talk to him about that, but I think you and I are in agreement on this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no question. My son and I Jack.
Speaker 4: We were getting caught up on thirty Rock and one of our favorite characters, Jonah Friedlander, wears a hat, like a different hat of a different.
Speaker 3: Saying on it. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Immediately when you said that, that came to mind, like, oh yeah, future head coach, because it's we sat in here with a lot of coaches that were like, Okay, that guy's going to be a head coach one day. I'll give you one that fits that. That realm too, and he's very relevant right now in college as Dan Lynn. Okay, Anthony Lynn's son. We had him in here and I remember when he left our interview, were like, oh yeah, there's a future there and not just because his dad was head coach, but he's gone to USC as a defensive coordinator at USC and pitched a shut out against Utah State. Now you tos date it was the first shutout for USC since twenty eleven?
Speaker 3: How many eleven of any a shutout?
Speaker 4: Yeah, a shutout the first time they pitched the shutout in thirteen years, Daniel in and they got it. Done against LSU, got it done against Utah State. Now they're going into the Big ten. So there's gonna be some some hiccups.
Speaker 1: But that's just sounds so so not right, so weird us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're gonna be play there Big ten schedule.
Speaker 1: Yeah what Yeah, they're supposed to be sworn enemies the PAC ten, the Big ten, Pack ten mark. Yes, it used to be called the PAC ten. Wasn't it the Pack eight? It was the pack It went to the PAC ten. Then it grew to twelve, but it stayed.
Speaker 4: Then it was the PAC twelve, but then it dissolved and became the PAC two. But now they're pulling in four for the Mount West and now it's a six pack.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you and I I think it are also an agreement on this. Give it up. Yeah, I just come on, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You're not who you were in their press release and the Pack twelve has been this, they go through their history. Really, you're going to talk about all the teams that left you.
Speaker 4: It's crazy to do that. Here's what they're This is my thought. They're not going to be a power conference. It's not going to it's the power for now. It's the acc SEC, Big ten, Big twelve, right done.
Speaker 3: The Pac twelve is not going to be a power conference. So what's the attraction Boise joining them? Here's what they want, the name, the brand name.
Speaker 4: Keep in mind that they the Football Playoff takes the top hot the highest ranked team from the lower conferences into the playoff automatical, right, the conference champion highest ranked. Well, if you have those teams Washington State, Oregon State and they're all playing each other, that conference starts moving to the forefront above some of the other conferences in college football.
Speaker 1: So just because you have Washington State and Oregon State, that's all you're getting.
Speaker 3: If you're those schools, well, Boise State, yeah, Fresno State. I'm trying to think who all that.
Speaker 1: I know that those schools already have a situation where you could say join the Mountain West.
Speaker 3: I let's stick together. I'm with you on that. I'm with you on that.
Speaker 4: So again, that's the only that's the only positive that I can see out of this, is that the perception of whatever this new Pac ten Pack eight whatever becomes, that perception moves that champion up in the rankings traditional year and year out, and so they're gonna get a pseudo automatic bid to the playoff.
Speaker 3: Listen, I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's the only thing I can I can think of, because they're not gonna get a massive TV deal.
Speaker 3: That's not gonna happen. No, they're not going that.
Speaker 4: They might get ESPN in the c like the Washington State Organs, they have the CW now, so it's cool that they got a deal. Now, the ACC has some of the CW two. But if you pull in those schools, maybe you get the ESPN and CW money and the conference has a higher profile.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It's I've gotta have.
Speaker 1: If I'm a college conference, I gotta have ESPN or five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got CBS. I gotta have one of those.
Speaker 1: I gotta have somebody who's having capabilities has something.
Speaker 4: But it's come on, I mean even ESPN plus for people to go back and watch it later, especially out there games that start at nine o'clock at night, like if we're for an East Coast or we're an Eastern time on the road, I mean we go to I mean I go to bed ten fifteen, ten thirty games just kicking off. I missed all of the Texas Tech Washington State game the other night. Had to go back and watch it and watch Washington State's quarterback run run for one hundred ninety seven yards, which is weird to say. But I didn't see any of that game. I gotta get to bed, get ready for our game in the morning. Yeah, and you don't see anything. But I can go back and I can watch that game, and I think that was on Fox. But I can go back and watch the games in the ICPN Plus. But that's what you're gonna have to do. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: The whole realignment thing is just it's and the.
Speaker 1: TV landscape is crazy because ESPN itself, wait what service?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: So now they have Plus. They used have ESPN three, now it's Plus. The venue thing got derailed, but they're still gonna come out with another one. Like I can't keep track of it all. And I'm in this business in a big way and it's still difficult to keep track of it. Is nuts. They're making it very difficult on the consumer. Now, speaking of TV, the number one television show in the country is Sunday Night Football. The Texans are, of course part of it, facing the Chicago Bears. How big this is a rhetorical question, but I want you to expand on this.
Speaker 3: How big is this game? I think for the fans, this.
Speaker 1: Is a humongous game primetime first time in a long time. Look, we had primetime in twenty two, in primetime in twenty one, but it's not the same. This is Sunday night football, this is Carrie Underwood, this is all of it. And there's just something very special about that. And even though the Bears are not they're not the eighty five Bears, they're not Jay Cutler's Bears.
Speaker 3: They're not a great football team, but they're the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 1: They're historic, they're one of the oldest teams in the league, along with the Packers, and they're from the number three market in the country. All of that adds up to special. They're in your building.
Speaker 4: So to that end, you and I would have this conversation, well a few years ago, Oh man, how much Chicago Bears blue are we going to see in the crowd? How much Chicago Bears orange are we going to see in the crowd? I think we'll see some Sunday Night, but I got a feeling that we're not going to see too much of it. But I also like this from a Jersey game. We're going liberty white. They're going full on orange. They're wearing all orange.
Speaker 3: That's great, get them out of their tradition. Pretty cool. So from that standpoint, but to your point.
Speaker 1: Man, that is one of the most badass uniforms in the league, except when they wear orange.
Speaker 3: So go ahead wear orange. I've been thinking about this since the schedule came out. I'll never forget you called me. You called me. I was in ChB. It was with my son Jack and we're rolling through GB and I.
Speaker 4: See you call on the day they were supposed to get the schedule, and You're like, are you sitting down? And I'm like no, I'm in HB and walking around and so I'm literally an HB with the phone up to my ear and you're you're kind of outlaying some of the things that you know, and you said week two Sunday night Bears, and I that was the one that stood out to me more than anything, because I'm like, week two after Colts.
Speaker 3: On the road.
Speaker 4: Man, If we beat the Colts, oh man, this place is gonna rock. So for months I've been looking forward to this, and then we beat the Colts like okay, and then we beat the Colts in a way that it didn't anticipate us running the ball the way that we did and really kind of being the big bully on the block, like man wanted to be that bully on the block for a long time. Like when we walk in a stadium, the other team is like, oh boy, we better hitch up our breches because here they come. It's the Houston Texans, And I think, I hope that's the case on Sunday night, Like we walk in that building and there's just this collective we are the badasses, not them, and we take it to them. And then just letting his crowd eat, just letting them explode on every big play that happens, getting loud on third down, seeing Caleb with his hands up against his ears. That these rookie quarterbacks now it's changing college, but I watched it all throughout college. I'm watching these quarterbacks that have never dealt with this coach comsystem and their hands are by their ears and they just look like they're so miserable. That's the way it needs to be for Kayleb Williams. Make it miserable for him to hear anything from Shane Waldron.
Speaker 1: How will the Texans respond to all this? We'll discuss next with the General. John mcclan joins us on Texans Radio. It's Texans All Access. Mark Vandermer, John Harris with you joining us now the General, John McLain, John Sunday Night Football, the biggest show on television.
Speaker 3: There's nothing like it. Are you ready?
Speaker 5: I think the Texans are ready? And that's the key.
Speaker 6: And I've gone back and watched the Bears and the Titans and how will Levis just gave that game to Chicago with three turnovers in the fourth quarter, including one of the maybe the dumbest decision I've ever seen on an interception. And you know, NBC loves it because they can say this game features the unbeaten Bears versus.
Speaker 5: The unbeaten Texans.
Speaker 6: Just About everybody that I have seen on Digson spread is six. Everybody is taking the Texans about seven or more.
Speaker 3: M That's not good. I hate that, Marvi, I absolutely hate that. General.
Speaker 4: I don't like to see unanimous across the board for the Texans for a win by by any means.
Speaker 3: But General, we'll start. We'll start here.
Speaker 4: We talked a little bit Monday about this, but we don't think Joe Mixon is gonna end up with thirty carries again. However, the run game was too good to get away from. How do you think the run game split will go amongst the running backs and what do you expect to see kind of from the run game On Sunday night against the Bears.
Speaker 6: When Damian Bears got his three carries, Bobby Sloy did something he didn't do last year. He called it straight ahead runs. He didn't require him to do his own scheme, which is good because Damien got to get it the ball go straight ahead. They had some holes and you didn't know Matt Eberflus is a really good defensive coach, and so they had to go back to the drawing board. You know, they've been looking at this game plan since the offseason, and I'm sure it was all about CJ. Stroud in the passing game as it should have been. And then the way the offensive line blocked for the run and the tight ends moving Cage Stover to full back for fifteen snaps a fullback was a genius. And so the Bears will be all geared up to stop the run. Whether they can do it remains to be seen, but that just opened up the passing game. And I'm sure NBC would love to see the Texans throw the ball because CJ's Stroud is a star. They want to see the great receivers they have, and because if you run it all the time, as you guys know, most of the time, the game is going to be close. That game against Colts was close and shouldn't have been. You know, giving up those three long pass plays at average fifty something yards was ridiculous. And safety's got to play better fighting for the ball at coverage, and I'm pretty sure they're not going to be doing that again. But after watching Caleb Williams and I was watching Mark Sanchez and Greg Cosell break down the Bears offense and specifically Caleb Williams, and neither was complimentary of Caleb Williams. Everybody's gonna make mistakes, but they talked about his eyes were never down the field, his head was always running arounds, almost like he didn't want to be in the pocket. And I would guess I would think there's a good chance that will Anderson Jr. And Daniel Hunter are not gonna get shut out on sacks a second consecutive game, because you know Williams.
Speaker 5: Is going to be on the move and vulnerable.
Speaker 1: All right, let me ask both of you this, and I've got a back part of this question as well a follow up. But did NBC put this game on Sunday Night Football because of CJ. Stroud's success last year? Not for the texans sake, but because they feel like, hey, Stroud was successful as a rookie. Caleb Williams can be too. Is that a big reason why they put this game on the schedule.
Speaker 6: Absolutely? And I think it was. And I talk to you guys I talked to on every show I did weekly about it was so unfair for people to pick the Bears to go to the playoffs with a rookie quarterback. You know, what Stroud did is unusual. You know, there have been some quarterbacks that played great as rookie, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Dak Prescott, but that's rare. I think all the rookies that have played so I think that Stroud's performance last year and the Texans performance in general, lifted the bar for rooky quarterbacks. That was unfair and Caleb Williams look lost. Now they got to be able to run the ball better. The Titans totally shut that offense down if will Lews just didn't give trapped the game for him in the fourth quarter. But I think they're gonna have big time trouble against Texas defense if I'm in Caleb Williams, and you know, NBC would love this if Caleb Williams comes out on the first series, doesn't play fake, goes deep seeing if they can have the same results as Anthony Richardson did, even though he can't throw the ball as far as Anthony richards But I think early in the season this is a great young quarterback matchup. Later in the season, I don't think you'd walk Caleb Williams in there because by then people could realize, oh, he's a rookies playing like most rookies.
Speaker 4: So to your question mark, I was listening in fact our buddy Sockapaco Silom, reporter for the Buffalo Bills WGR.
Speaker 3: You can hear him there during mid days.
Speaker 4: He sent me a clipp's of, Hey, I think you might like listening to this, and it was about a two minute clip. They had Mike North, Oh, yeah, who you know very well, and it was a two minute clip talking about they were asking him about the Digs Bills Texans kind of, you know, did that game need to be in primetime because of all the storylines that are there and all that kind of stuff, And so Mike kind of took it in a Texas direction. And one of the things that I heard in that interview that stood out to me was, and this happens I think for a lot of different things.
Speaker 3: It was like when you're.
Speaker 4: Wrong about something, like I was wrong about Dwayne Brown, and so you kind of almost go the absolute opposite way and you become this big fan like I was. I was down on Dwayne Brown and then I was like, Okay, I was really wrong. Then you become this big fan of Dwayne Brown.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: They knew they were wrong about the Texans last year, the schedule makers, Mike North, Blake Jones.
Speaker 3: Et cetera.
Speaker 4: So I felt like listening to that, I was like, Okay, they're gonna give us a pretty good allotment at primetime games, like they there was some fomo about them not having the Texans in prime time. So I wasn't too surprised that we got this game with the Bears being early in week two.
Speaker 3: I was maybe a little surprised, but I think there.
Speaker 4: Was some fomo from the schedule people last year that they were like, man, we missed out.
Speaker 3: We could have had CJ. Stroud.
Speaker 4: Yes they got us in the Saturday night game on primetime, but they're like, Okay, we missed out. So when I heard that that interview, I was like, all right, we're getting some primetime games and we may get them, you know, get them early against the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 1: General Monday morning, are we talking about what were they thinking putting this game on the schedule or is it a closer game than many expect, because hey it's the NFL. It's week to week. Texans looked great on offense last week. You know they could even look better on defense. Look pretty good against the run, of course the deep ball. But what do you think I.
Speaker 5: Think the Texans are going to blow them out.
Speaker 6: There's no reason to pick the Bears after that offensive showing they couldn't run the ball, they couldn't basketball. The only way they were gonna win that game is turnovers. They had John Toanoen's who turned a block hunt for a touchdown. Then they had that pick six that Will Levis gift trap for him. Titans couldn't score in the fourth quarter because they kept turning the ball over. The Texans don't turn it over. That's one of the best things about CJ. Stroud is he just doesn't turn it over. I thought it's very interesting. I've been listening to all these doomsday predictions that if you start zero and two, there's only eleven percent gence you're going to make the playoffs.
Speaker 5: And I don't hear anybody.
Speaker 6: Say, oh, well, the Texans started oh to last year won the division, won a playoff game. Twenty eighteen, he started oh two won a division in a playoff game.
Speaker 5: So it's not impossible.
Speaker 6: Even though the statistics say, yeah, it's it's it's illogical to expect it.
Speaker 5: And I went back in a column that.
Speaker 6: I have on Houston Texans dot com today, last time Texas started two and oh it was two thousand and sixteen.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 6: So I think they're gonna win this game. Anly one thing this team has. You know, when Bill O'Brien was there, nobody said Bill was a great coach. People think Demiko is a great coach. He's gonna be You're going to prove that he's a great coach, he's got a great staff, and he's gonna lose Bobby Slowek after the season to Rod Johnson can step up and replace him. They've got Demiko's got a really good coaching staff, and we all know how that's important. And not only that, he's got the quarterback. He's got a good running back with a lot to prove. I can't wait for the Buffalo game. I don't know how that didn't end up in primetime. I'm guessing there was a lot of fighting over it, because you don't just take any game you want put it on primetime. Can't wait for that one, and so this one, I think that it could be lopsided. I think it could be ugly, and I think the people at NBC could be going, oh my god, what did we tell you putting the Bears on. They bought into the hype about Chicago and Caleb Williams.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me ask both of you this, because I feel pretty confident about this game too. And sometimes when I feel over confident about a game, like last year Week two against the Colts, Oh boy, I felt really confident. Oh I felt really really confident going in and then bang bang, it's fourteen nothing. So I'll ask you both, what is the formula for the Texans to lose this game?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 4: What should we be worried about heading into the game. Look, I'm a Houston football fan. I've been a Houston football fan for a long time, so there is still that part of me that always is kind of like, all right, we can't get too confident with anything. So what is the formula for the Bears to win this game?
Speaker 3: General?
Speaker 6: You go first, block part returned for a touchdown or a block part to set up a.
Speaker 5: Short touchdown run.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think Frank Ross probably well if he had Harry, he'd been pulling it all out, and I think this it would because Stroud dead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had an interception of the day called back and a tip ball. That's another thing.
Speaker 6: He didn't have a lot of tip balls over the middle at Rick Kochet into the hands of safeties or corners. I think the only way it would happen is if like defensive back slips and falls and somebody gets away for a touchdown or turnovers or kick returns for touchdowns.
Speaker 5: It's not going to.
Speaker 6: Be the Bears lining up and beating the Texans on both sides.
Speaker 5: Of the balls. It's not going to happen.
Speaker 1: I can't remember the last time the Texans went into a primetime game and we were talking with this kind of tone.
Speaker 3: I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I think actually it was twenty eleven going to Indianapolis Thursday night football, second to last week of the season, and they lost that game.
Speaker 3: Was that Orlowski?
Speaker 1: That was Orlowski Orlosky quarterback to the Colts to a win that night, And it was just one of those games where just nothing worked. And I think, Johnny, to answer your question, it is something similar to what the General said. You have a couple of turnovers, there's some sloppiness, and it's the old Spencer Tillman. How do you run with a full cup of success or don't drink the rap poison or human nature. You're playing a team that you quote should beat, But it's the NFL, and weird things happen every single week.
Speaker 3: I I'm sure that so.
Speaker 1: Many survivor pools ended last week because people took the Bengals over the Patriots, thinking no shot New England at Cincinnati to open the season in Burrows allegedly healthy, There's no way you're gonna lose that game, all right, general, that.
Speaker 6: Was stupid, but because the Bengals are terrible starters. They have been in since Zach Taylor and Joe Burrow got there, So of course we thought they were gonna win. But to say no way when they're such bad starters, Yeah, that was because I think more about the Bengals playing really bad, not having receivers at one hundred percent or two Higgins at all, and I don't seem to make it, and his staff, letting his team, letting this team have have downers. Now they may turn the ball over, everybody does at some point. They're not gonna come out flat. You know, the crowd is gonna be like the Cleveland playoff game. It's gonna be wild. It's gonna be crazy, and you just hope everybody would get in their seat when they's supposed to.
Speaker 5: And uh, I can't wait to see it. It's exciting.
Speaker 6: For the longest time, I thought we were never going to have another primetime game in Houston because I never thought we were gonna get the franchise, and the first one they had they won. And now they're back in primetime and I think people are just gonna I think it's gonna get a really good audience because people want to see Strout and so I think it's going to have a great audience, and if it's close, it'll be better for TV. But I don't think it's gonna be close.
Speaker 1: Well, general, this is a weird week of the AFC South because I really enjoy watching the Cleveland Browns and the New York Jets lose football game. But the Browns are playing the Jaguars and the Jets are playing the Titans, So I guess I have to root for the opponents in this situation. But let's start with the Jets at Tennessee with Aaron Rodgers. Short week, a lot of travel. You traveled to the West Coast, you got back Tuesday morning, you got to get out of plane Saturday. Go to Nashville, and they're desperate for a win after their opening day debacle at Chicago where they blew the lead. What do you think of the Titans hosting New York.
Speaker 6: I think the Titans defense is good enough to keep them in it. But if Will Levis plays anywhere close to the will he played in that first game, it could get ugly. And I think Aaron Rodgers for not playing As long as he had not played, I thought he was fine. The problem is that great quote unquote Jets defense couldn't stop the run. But I think the Jets were winning. And as far as the Jaguars and the Browns, I want to see Watson lose. And so you shouldn't fear of the Jaguars. Beat them twice. You know, you beat them twice, you don't have to worry about them. So I'm open that the Jaguars beat the Browns. The brown start oh too. And I guess Watson couldn't say, Hey, twenty eighteen, I did this. I had a good friend of mine who covered the Browns for thirty five years, say he's forgotten how to play.
Speaker 5: And so I went back.
Speaker 6: In Washington and is does Watson does not bear any resemblance to the quarterback who was here in twenty twenty. Now it's been a while since he's played. Maybe he'll play better, but he got boot at home. Now, he's got more legal issues, and it won't be long before they start chanting we want Jamis.
Speaker 5: If they blow this game and start oh.
Speaker 4: Two, it's not easier to say we want Flacco. We want Flacco than we want Jamis. But yes, but either way, yeah, you know, even Deshaun got the twenty eighteen season wrong because he had us losing four in a row and then winning eleven straight.
Speaker 3: When either way, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I guess it's six years ago, so it's hard to find it find the right thing to happen. General, the Packers more than likely will not have Jordan Love. It's probably gonna be well, it's not probably, it's gonna be Malik Willis and or Sean Clifford than terrible. Do you give the Packers a shot of even beating the Colts at Lambeau without Jordan Love?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: And I don't think for a second he's gonna play. He's got a strained mcl Why I playing early in the season when it's all about what you do in November, December, January. It's just seventeen games you don't beat too. I don't care what people say about oh and two. And he can't play the leason hundred percent. You're just asking for trouble now. Malik Willis has been awful. The other guy hadn't even played. That's one reason Nick Casario was so smart to extend Davis Mills for five million. That was a great move because I think we all believe that they're in good hands if something happens to Stroud like it did last season. And I went back and was looking at games that Davis had his first two years and looking at the talent he played with compared to what he would have now if he was playing and there's no comparison. And so the quarterback year are in good shape. They are not in good shape in Green Bay. I think there's a chance Coults are going into Lambeau and come away with a victory.
Speaker 1: I just can't fathom why you would think Malik Willis would be a capable backup. I get having him on the team as a project, but look at the Browns themselves in the preseason. They loaded up at the quarterback position Huntley Winston, DR DTRTR get the initials mixed up, DTR. I love it when a name is an acronym that works out well for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: General Tonight Bill's Dolphins, Who do you like.
Speaker 5: Miami's at home?
Speaker 6: Miami has the great offense. They got injuries and running back, but their wide receivers are okay. Unless the police detain Twrey Dale and he misses the game. I think the Dolphins are gonna win this game, and then the Bills will play them in Orchard Park in November and beat the pants off of them when it's.
Speaker 5: Cool and windy.
Speaker 4: Beat the pants off and when it's cool and windy. There's something about that that sounded not so good.
Speaker 3: General. Okay, here we go, real fast, rapid fire.
Speaker 4: It's a rapid fire part of the segment here with the General and Mark. I'm gonna hit you. With the one and O teams playing against each other. There are six matchups. Okay, you give me the winner, just straight up winner.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Thursday Night Buffalo, Miami, General, Miami, Mark Bills.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Next one, New Orleans goes to Dallas, both of them. One and Oh General.
Speaker 5: As much as I hate to say it, Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I have to agree.
Speaker 4: Okay, Tampa Bay's one and Oh goes to Detroit. That was a great playoff game last year. Detroit eaked it out. Mark, Tampa General.
Speaker 5: Lions can't take against Detroit at all.
Speaker 3: Oh, how about that? Okay, it's the Sam Donald Bowl.
Speaker 4: San Francisco's one and Oh doesn't look like Christian McCaffrey is gonna play take it on the Minnesota Vikings one and oh this game is in Minneapolis. Does Sam Donald stay hot before the Texans arrived?
Speaker 3: General?
Speaker 4: Niners or Vikings? Remember Vikings beat the Niners last year in Minnesota? Does that happen again?
Speaker 3: In General?
Speaker 5: Vikings was the upset?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I want this to happen.
Speaker 1: I want them fat and happy with the Texans come in and just stab the goose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, let's go to Sunday.
Speaker 4: Still in the early games, the Seahawks negative bodyclock one and oh going to plake on the Patriots a surprising one and oh can the Seahawks stay two?
Speaker 5: And oh?
Speaker 4: Or the Patriots another upset? Mark Seahawks or Patriots in Foxboro?
Speaker 3: I think New England wins it and kind of with you General, Yah, Patriots trees. What's the line on that one? Where Sean when you need them?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Never mind him?
Speaker 4: Uh wait, what's the line on Patriots Patriots?
Speaker 3: Seahawks Patriots Seahawks one Eastern? What do you think it is? I think it's New England by one.
Speaker 4: No, it's Seattle three and a half, Seattle three and a half on the road.
Speaker 1: They have no faith in the you know what the Patriots. It's not like the Patriots set the world on fire. They just beat a bad Bengals effort, not a bad team, make mistakes and ran the ball. Well yeah yeah, I mean that works. And then the last one, uh, the Chicago Bears. The Bears want to know, Texans want to know. Are you picking against the Texans? Either one of you?
Speaker 3: Come on, stop, General, one more for you Monday night.
Speaker 5: Fu Wait, I don't get to pick if.
Speaker 1: You pick the Bears dead. If you picked the Bears your fire, General, Yeah you already dead. You already said it's a blowout. So the Eagles and the Falcons hook up on Monday Night. Kirk Cousins, this is weird. They know his physical situation, They put him out there obviously limited. What are they doing, General, they draft panics? What is the deal? What is the plan here in Atlanta? It's a mess already.
Speaker 6: Apparently they're trying to justify bait him one hundred and eighty million, and they played him in a shotgun to protect him when most of his success has come under center with play action and next gen stats, had every movie made, they turned it and compared it the way he was before he suffered the achilles injury and it was not even close. He is so much slower in every way.
Speaker 1: Man, I don't want to see any next gen stats on me ever. Okay, that's that's all I'm saying, because you cannot.
Speaker 3: Run hot again with I'm just talking about in life.
Speaker 1: Because this league, everything is out there. Johnny's showing me the NFL Plus plus package.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Pro package.
Speaker 1: You can download every tackle that Petrie had. It's ridiculous what you can get here. Anyway, general, what do you have for us on Houston Texans dot com.
Speaker 6: I've got a column that was posted this morning about the running game, and only two times in team history have they ranked in the top five, never number one. Right now they're number one in rushing.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks so much for joining us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys very much.
Speaker 1: As always, Coming up, let's stay Healthy with Houston Methodist Minutes. What about Jordan Love's knee injury? How does that affect an athlete? And we'll get into some other things as well as Texans All Access continues. Back to it here on Texans All Access. Mark VanderMeer with you and Houston Methodist Minutes let's get to this on knee injuries, the MCL. We heard about this with Jordan Love sprain. Do you need surgery? How does all that work? What are some of the nuances? Well, doctor nader Iu will tell us some.
Speaker 7: Doctor yeah, Mark, So first off, the MCL, it is a ligament and it's located more in the inside portion of your knee, the side that we call the medial side the MCL. When you have any kind of injury to it, there are certain grades of sprains that are present, and these can vary from grade one, two, and three.
Speaker 3: One being the.
Speaker 7: Least severe, where there's maybe just some tightness into the area, and three whenever there's a complete tear of it. Typically for grade ones and grade twos, this would require a period of rest, rehabilitation, and perhaps some breaking, and this can be variable on how long it would need to go. Typically, for grade ones, these can go week to week, Grade twos can be up to six weeks. For grade threes, depending on the area where there is a big tear, this may require some sort of surgical consultation and typically for those that would mean something season ending.
Speaker 1: Well, I know that some weekend Warriors walk around for years, maybe literally with a slight tear, and maybe some professional athletes play with a slight tear. Is that possible? Talk about that part of it. When you have just a little bit of a tear and you might be able to live with it for a while.
Speaker 3: How does that work?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so there are incidents where you can have partial tears in some of these soft tissues, and in some cases it may be in an area which doesn't have a very good blood supply that goes into it and therefore it doesn't heal very well. So essentially, if it is something that may not completely heal, you can still do things like bracing and rehabilitation where you strengthen everything else around that part of the knee to help with offsetting some of the tension being placed onto there. Bracing can also help with giving more stability to that area, so that way you can still return back into activities with a reduction of risk of re injury.
Speaker 1: All right, this next one, there might not be a simple answer to this, but could you explain why the recovery time from an ACL surgery is so much better, so much faster than it used to be.
Speaker 7: Why is that, doctor, Well, you know, acls are a knee injury that we have more studies on compared to any other part of the knee, and so we have a lot of resources devoted into figuring out why they get injured and what we need to do for recovery. We've also advanced technology and surgeries for these so that way we can do things to get them back into play. You know, years ago, it often meant that it was something career ending and then eventually got to the point where you could return in your career, albeit that it may have persistent symptoms that go on when you return to play, and the recovery time could have been many months. Nowadays, we do have better technology with the understanding that we know right now with ACLS, that we can get them better faster, knowing that still with this type of injury, it can be catastrophic and it can take a lot of time for not just the actual surgery itself, but for the recovery and being able to return back into play at the level that they were at pre injury.
Speaker 1: All right, great information, doctor, thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 7: No problem, Thank you, Mark.
Speaker 1: Doctor Nader Ayub of Houston Methodist, the official healthcare provider of the Houston Texans, Houston Methodist leading medicine. All right, coming up on the Friday Night show, Dimiko Ryans right out of the shoot. We will hear from him. Also a little bit later on in the show, Jonathan Alexander of the Houston Chronicle is going to join us. We're going to get together with Bears broadcasters, have a little back and forth with them in advance of the Sunday nighter with the Houston Texans taking on the Chicago Bears at NRG Stadium. Remember, be early, wear white and give the players a delight. Hey, that rhymes coming out of the tunnel. Get there early if you're going to the game, so you can greet that when they come out of the tunnel and get this place so fired up in a way that we haven't seen for a long long time. Can't wait for that Sunday Night Texans Bears. Thursday Night Football on the way on six to ten. Bills Dolphins. Have a great night. Go Texans.