Speaker 1: Welcome to the Jagslam this morning. I'm kind of Annie Stevens, Brian Sexton, and John Oser are with me today as we get ready to talk about week three for the Jags because they had to Buffalo from Monday night football. Let's kick things off with big things. Big thing number one is stay the course. There's a lot of talk about panic. We didn't see what we wanted to see out of the Jaguars in the first two weeks of the season. But Hoyle Litlcon, captain of this team, says, there's no panic right now.
Speaker 2: I think you always focus on the now. Obviously it was two games. There's a lot of games left, like you said earlier, but I gotta keep on saying each game is a race in itself when I like to win races. So let's win the next game. That's we have in our play doing everything it takes to uh come out with the right energy against Buffalo. Stay in our books, stay on our film. We know we have all the talent in the in the locker room and win games. So has go out a women kind of focused on ourselves on the inside. Obviously the outside has a lot of noise going on out there. They don't know what goes on in the locker room on a practice field, so we know we're capable level. We gotta go out there and improve it every week.
Speaker 1: From account ran, I think a lot of this feels a lot worse because of the way things ended last season. This team is zero and two. What do they need to do to get right? On Monday night?
Speaker 3: So I was at luncheon yesterday with Tony Bisselli, and famously the most sudden turnaround in Jaguars history is ninety six, where they started four and seven and went on a seven game winning streak to the AFC Title Game and only their second season. So I asked what was it that year that turned it around, and he said, leadership. It's a given that the coaches have to lead them out, but this is on the players in the locker room. We talked a lot earlier this week about Trevor Lawrence and the leadership he showed in the post game on Sunday. Now it's time for the rest of the leaders, guys like Foyer, Alucon on the defensive side, Josh Allen. The leadership is what we'll get this team focused and ready to play better football. On Monday in Buffalo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's important those guys lead. It's also important that they play well, which means making plays at the end of games. Bucky Brooks has said it all week, the great Jay Wars media analyst, that we have big players have to make big plays in big moments for the last two months, meaning the last six weeks dating back to the last season, that hasn't happened. So the reason they can stay the course, they don't do ththing complicated. They have to play better. Big player one.
Speaker 1: Of them might be missing on Monday Night Football or big thing Number two is injury watch. We saw Evan Ingram get scratched from week two because he suffered a hamstring injury right during warm ups before that game. He'll be kind of day to day as they watch and evaluate is the week goes on. According to head coach Doug Peterson, John, how's this affect the offense if they don't have Evan Ingram once again?
Speaker 4: Well, some I don't think as much as we thought because Brenton Strange played well. There are tight end options. You should be able to get through a week or two without one of your top players, And frankly, I think they need to go a different direction offense anyway. Brian Thomas Junior Christian Kirk gave Davis Breton Strange Travis Etn as listed off four guys that you trust. Brent Strange may have to earn that a little bit more. But look, there are options in this offense. Just losing Evan Ingram should hurt you, but it's not like this offense can't function without him right now.
Speaker 3: No, And the name that you just said, John that strikes me the most is Travis Etn. The reason that Evan Ingram is such a valuable part of this offense is he is that hot option when all things break down and they bring three pass rushers Greg Russeau, von Miller and that Oliver for the Buffalo Bills Defenseive Long, you got to get rid of the ball in a hurry. To me, that would suggest that Travis Etn is going to have to be a bigger option in the passing game, or at least I wouldn't it have to be. If he is, he can help overcome the absence of Evan Ingram.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. As for our opponent on Monday Night Football, our final big thing, Bill's Bill's Bills, They're two and oh heading into this they've had an impressive performance against the Miami Dolphins last week. They're coming in well rested.
Speaker 5: Brian.
Speaker 1: When you look at the team, what's an factor for them? What are you worried about?
Speaker 3: Well, the front is very difficult to block. Von Miller looks like the von Miller of before his most recent ACL which was two years ago at Oliver I thought was the most difficult guy the Jaguars had to handle in the middle. And then of course Greg Russeau, who's a big, long Kalais Campbell, Eric Armstead kind of body. He wasn't active, he didn't play last year against these guys in London. So now they've got those three against an offensive line that hasn't played very well. Okay, so that's a trouble area. However, perhaps that's the rallying point. I mean, perhaps this is where those guys, you know, stiffen up and play to the capability that Doug Peterson and Phil Rousher saw in them when they set this offensive line before the start of the regular season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll go chalk here. I do rankings every week for Jaguars dot Com. My comment next to the Bills so far has been. Josh Allen still plays quarterback for the Bills. As long as they have him, he's very dangerous. He makes them dangerous. The quarterback can score and make plays in red zone when everything else is broken down. He can will then the touchdowns because of his size. As long as he's there, they're good. Everybody thought this was the season of transition for them. They're playing as well as anything in the league. I have them number two in the league and it's because Josh Allen plays quarterback for the Bills.
Speaker 1: Absolutely stay with us here on Jagzam. Coming up after the break, we'll hear from Jaguars players in the locker room see where the state of the team is heading into Monday Night football. Jagzam today brought to you by Jacksonville's premier luxury auto group. You can head over to Fields Auto dot.
Speaker 5: Com depending on who you are. I know, for me is I know I understand the implications of Monday night and what that is to a lot of other people. But you know, as we tune the noise out, you kind of want to tune that out for a little bit as well. When you get into the atmosphere, it'll definitely shake Over, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Back to the Jagzam. Here in the Hyundai Studios Andre Cisco, they're talking about how you get up for Monday night football. If you can't get high energy for Monday night football, there's probably something wrong with you that always. I mean, it's just the premier night I feel like for football and everyone's watching you. You're on a national stage and hopefully the Jaguars can come out and perform.
Speaker 3: Listen, You're gonna have to match their energy. I mean, the Buffalo is an energetic place as it is now. You put the prime lights, the primetime lights on on it, then if you don't bring the energy, you're gonna be run over by it.
Speaker 4: It is a tough spot because it's team wants the Jags. I mean they have matched up well, the Jaguars have, so you had primetime a team that is not going to overlook you.
Speaker 1: They need to be ready team the Jags beat last year in London, so I'm sure that's on their mind as well. Speaking of the locker room yesterday, we heard from Foya Luikin a little bit earlier, but we also talked about on the show yesterday just about that linebacker rotation. We saw Ryan Nielson likes to sub in different players and Foya Luik and playing a lot less. He's used to playing pretty much every snap, and he kind of addressed that in the locker room yesterday.
Speaker 2: And I got all the faith in the linebackers and stuff. And I came in this league not playing every snap. I've been blessed to be able to play every snap for what my third year all the way to my seventh year. Over the coach needs, but the the goal here is to win games down the road. Although want to win the games now. Obviously don't look right when we're not winning games right now. So let's get to winning the games now and you'll see a payoff down the road. But let's focus on the now. Don't worry about the snapcots and stuff. Let's worry about wins. Uh, how the linebackers look as a unit. Everything's gonna work out if we execute our g our players that we're supposed to.
Speaker 1: John feels like there's some understanding there. We've talked so much about that draft and develop angle. You gotta start developing guys early cause of what we saw last season where you weren't giving them reps and then at the end of the season you can't count on them. So I think they're trying to do some of that with Ventrel Miller and and some of some of the other linebackers. And obviously doesn't look great right now when you're not winning football games, but trying to make a plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some understanding there. I I I kind of wonder how long the understanding last if if you lose a couple more games. Sure, I I don't think it's a major, major thing. I think Foy he is still playing eighty one per cent of the plays. He's probably down s eight nine plays a game. Uh, that can be a lot for the wrong eight or nine plays. I don't necessarily find it that interesting along the defensive front case irritate all the time the linebacker and the DB's thing. I still have to watch it. It's unorthodox. I get the point. Maybe it's just a little unusual for the old school guy.
Speaker 3: Listen, it'll evolve. I mean there will be times where you know, on Monday night, you'll think he should be in the game. They've only played two games together, and Ryan Nielsen's only had two games to work This system. In my understanding is is that as they get more familiar with the situations and the players, that this will will find its point. However, listen Tampa last year, Tennessee last year, at the end of the season, he didn't look my opinion, only he looked like he had worn down playing one hundred percent of the snaps. He's one of the most dependable players this team has ever had playing linebacker, and they want to give him the ability to be fresh at the end of the season. So they're trying to implement this. Now I get it, but I do think it's an evolution and you won't see him all the field and key situations as best they can set it up.
Speaker 1: Sure, we'll keep an eye on that for Monday Night football, for sure. Also, we heard from traves Y Danna in the locker room talking a little bit about the issues the offense has been having, specifically in the Cleveland game, and how maybe going up tempo a little bit could help get things going Earlier.
Speaker 6: We did take the pace of the game. We don't let them get set, don't let them dial up whatever they want to doll up. We kind of cass them on their toes and we control the pace. And I feel like I remember, I remember we had that long drive and those guys are there tired, you know, and I feel like it's an offense when you since that's kind of like a like we're like a shark of blood in the water. That's something you've got to go out there and attack and make the most out of it.
Speaker 1: Ran I know sometimes easier said than done with stuff like that, but going up temple can't be a bad idea right now.
Speaker 3: Right No, I don't listen. I don't think any idea is bad right now when what you're doing isn't working. So whether it's up tempo or no huddle or different personnel packages, however you want to do it, I think everything should be on the table. And with an all clinching staff like Doug Peterson and Press Taylor and Mike McCoy, I would doubt that everything isn't on the table right I would believe that they are examining every opportunity to get this thing jump started.
Speaker 4: I'm a big fan of up tempo if they can do it. I guess what I mean by that is, you know the other day, plays were getting in and they were hiking the ball at one second. It's hard to go up tempo and you're not getting plays in like that. And I'm not trying to be facetious, but in order to go up tempo, you have to really be on the same page. You have to be going. It's hard to do for entire games too. It's I think it is usually a fantastic change of pace. You can surge through a quarter or so with it. It's hard to do it all the time. But you know, I guess facetious or not. In order to go up tempo, everybody has to be on the same page. They weren't on the same page on Sunday.
Speaker 1: They were not, and that whether you're going up temper or not was an issue for them. Clearly say with us here, we're going to give you our predictions for what the headlines are gonna be Tuesday morning after Monday night football, and Buffalo said it a Florida's trusted and reliable moving company set it's proud to be the official moving company in the Jacksonville Jaguars. To get a guaranteed quote, you can visit sud it dot com slash jacks. All right, here's where we put our predictor caps on. We're gonna try and figure out what the headlines are gonna be on Tuesday after the Jags and Bill's face off in Monday Night Football. Brian, when you look ahead, what do you think we'll see?
Speaker 3: Well, my headline is a bent but not broken, kind of like some of those tables that the Bill's Mafia jump onto in their parking lot, which is psychotic and fun at the same time, usually on fire as well. Yeah, yeah, yeah, those folks are serious. And I think that the Jaguars are going to go play well.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: I thought they'd played well last week, and they did in the second half. I thought they play well on Opening Day, and they did for the first three quarters. So I'm gambling that the momentum that they built in the second half last week, plus the just sheer disgust of the way that that game went by the players that I talked to this week tell me that I think they're going to go play well. That I don't know that that's going to be enough to overcome Josh Allen in that Buffalo crowd in prime time and as John said, with the bullseye on their back, because the Jaguars have beaten them the last two times they've played them, so but I think they'll play well. So, you know, bent like one of those tables because they kind of are right now but not broken, and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we're on the same page. I went with what's next, and I hope I'm wrong. I see a game where the Jaguars come out and play very well, especially early. I think they might get a lead. I think the adrenaline of knowing not to say what Trevor Lawrence said after the game, but knowing what it meant, knowing what they have to do, knowing the urgency, I expect them to play very well. I expect there to be a lot of hope in the second half. I think the Bills are really good. I think this kid were showing on It is hard to stop in big situations. He's specially he's one of the two or three special guys in the league. So I don't know if a sometimes a great performance by a team isn't enough, and I kind of worry that might be the case for the Jags. I think if if you see a great performance, then I think there's hope moving forward. There'll also be zero to three if that happens, so you got to ask what's next. But I hope I'm wrong, and I'm not trying to be pessimistic. I just think sometimes this is tough. This is a tough, tough spot.
Speaker 1: I'm not entirely sure what we're gonna see in the game. Like you mentioned, Monday night football is weird. Beginning the season is weird. What we've seen from effort from them has been weird. So hoping they can get up for Monday night football. One thing I do know is that every week, even when I felt like the team was kind of listless, whether it's the end of Dolphins or on the home opener against the Browns, this guy was not. This rookie does not play like a rookie. I think under the Monday night lights in primetime, he will shine. Whatever his whatever, how much of a focus they make him on the offense, when he has a play drawn up for him, I think he will come through. And I think on a national stage, for people to see what Brian Thomas Junior is about will be beneficial for this scene in the long term. I think people already respect him, but I think he has the capability to do that, and I don't think he's going to shy away from primetime at all.
Speaker 4: And I wish I'd gone you were out guy, because he's sort of the X factor. You remember Fred on Monday night against the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seventy seven yards on the first play of the game.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, a kid like this special play special, can a turn himself into a star, but can really shape a game like this, And you get the idea that he's the guy on this roster you.
Speaker 1: Can do that.
Speaker 3: I just want to touch on one thing you said on Monday, and that is is that the intensity that he plays with, right He seems so laid back. I know you have him on the podcast this week and he's very understated until the balls in his hands and the way that he went at it with Jalen Ramsey and the way last week that he was willing to mix it up with those safeties for the Cleveland Browns. I'd love that.
Speaker 1: And he can affect the rest of the team too. You know, always want it to be a rookie, but if he can do it, why not.
Speaker 4: Stay with us.
Speaker 1: After the break, We're gonna go over what's coming up the rest of the week before Monday Night Football DAGs fan, Do you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home? Check got zipchare dot com to browse all the customizable options. Zip Chair is furniture for a fans. Also Ticketmaster, the official ticket marks place of the jackman Dale Jaguars. Welcome back in. We got a little bit of a weird week. The players are back in the building today. It's kind of like a normal Wednesday for them. Is everything that pushed back a day. But Brian, you're talking to christ Ra sharda this week to talk a little bit about what.
Speaker 3: The backs have been able to do, the playing without Tyson Campbell for at least a month, and don't know about Darnell Savage. You know you didn't play last week. And Monteric Brown comes in and plays his best game and looks like a guy that the Jaguars can depend on. Christ Rashard is obviously the cornerback whisper. He's been around this league with some really good teams for years. So I will talk to him. And I had a great conversation with Brenton Strange too great.
Speaker 1: Kidden stepped up big last week. For sure.
Speaker 3: We go to this week.
Speaker 4: I have uh Brian Thomas Junior on the ozone podcast and uh yeah, it's my first chance to really talk to him. I think the kid's gonna be a star, and I'm I'm I'm fascinated to see, uh maybe how things will handle that.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we'd love to learn more. Uh. We hope all of you guys enjoy Monday night football. We'll be back with you on Wednesday to recap everything that goes down in Buffalo.