Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, it's Sophia. Welcome to work in Progress. Welcome back Whipsmarties. This week's work in progress is particularly special and close to my heart, not only because today's guests and I are going to talk about a movie we made together, but because today's guest happens to be one of my oldest friends from my first job. You may remember a little show called One Tree Hill, and today we are joined by none other than Brian Greenberg. You may not know that Brian was born in Oklahoma, Nebraska, and then raised in Saint Louis, Missouri. He graduated from NYU with a Bachelor of Fine Arts and in his New York journey, was on shows like Law and Order, booked his big screen debut in a civil action. He worked on several amazing TV series, including The Sopranos, also Boston Public and Third Watch. He came into my world via a wonderful movie called The Perfect Score, which led him to work on One Tree Hill and play our very favorite Jake Jigalski. He left us to go work on a show produced by none other than George Clooney for HBO, which we're all still a little sad about, but it's okay. He's gone on to make so many incredible films, like one of my very favorite rom coms, Ever Prime, and Casually. While doing all of this, has released a number of albums. He is an incredible singer songwriter. He also is a wonderful dad. He and his lovely wife, Jamie Chung have two beautiful little boys, and Jamie happens to be in this incredible film with us as well. The film is called Junction. It is coming out in theaters Friday, January twenty sixth. Junction chronicles the modern day opioid crisis in America from three different points of view, the CEO of a pharmaceutical company, a doctor who prescribes the medications, and a patient who is addicted to them. Each character is going to have to come face to face with all of the decisions they've made, all of the complexities of their lives, and what their roles are in this epidemic. The movie is powerful and emotional and inspiring and at times scary and at times funny. Brian and I actually laughed a lot making this film, and I'm just so excited to talk with him about it, because not only does he star in it, not only did he direct it? He also wrote it. It's been a passion project of his for the last four years, and I'm so proud to be a part of it. I'm so proud of him forgetting it made. And I'm sure, like me, you have so many questions for him. So let's dive in and hear from Brian. Well, this feels really exciting. I can't believe that we're sitting here. You know, we just went to an event a couple of weeks ago. It's a ward season, and you know, everybody's out celebrating movies, and you posted that photo of us and you were like, our friendship is twenty years old, and I was like, oh my god, our friendship is almost old enough to order a beer in a bar.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. Our friendship could go to war, for.
Speaker 1: Sure, Like, what, yeah, is happening.
Speaker 2: Our freshman, I mean our Yeah, our our friendship is would be a sophomore in college or a junior in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sophomore in college. I know we all do this because we've been friends forever. But you know, you look around and you go like, are we really the grown ups now? Is that a thing? Who do we ask for help when we need it or like advice. Now people are asking us for advice and something about you saying our friendship is twenty years old. I was like, we we really are the grownups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. I always have to kind of pick for myself now. I'm like a father too. I'm always like, oh, I have to be like the authority. But you, in my mind, I'm still like a kid, you know. Yeah, even like being a director, you're just like, oh, you're the one that's supposed to have the answers, Like I'm not used to be having that, you know, I know what you mean. I still in my mind, I'm still like twenty years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like there's just a perpetual state of being twenty four that lasts through I guess most of your adulthood.
Speaker 2: I think what it is when you, you know, when you're our age, you realize that like, oh wait, everybody's just kind of bullshiting, like nobody really has there is no authority figure. It's like no one knows what's going on. Like you're like, oh, the older people get it, they know what's going on. But then you're becoming the older people like, oh, I'm just as clueless as ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really realize everybody's just kind of faking it till they make it, perhaps forever. Yeah, okay, well we're old. Everybody knows it. Thank god. We spent our whole twenties locked in a sound stage, so we have great skin. But none of that is the point of why we're here. The point of being here is to talk about really all of the things that led to this amazing project that we get to do together. But I actually want to go so not just to the beginning, you know, four years in the making of you getting Junction out into theaters. I actually want to go way back, because like way back, because most people who will see that you're on the podcast this week will go, oh, I know him from this or I got introduced to him on that show or in that movie. But I like to go back to the beginning and talk to all of my guests about who they were as kids, because I think everyone always says hindsight's twenty twenty. It's really easy from wherever we are to look back and see how all the dots connect. And if we go back to you being a little kid, say like eight nine years old in Omaha, were you into performing or did you think you were going to be an athlete? Can you see how that whole journey got you here? Or does it seem like another life?
Speaker 2: No? Well, yes it does feel like another life. But and yes I did think I was going to be an athlete and nope, did not become an athlete. But you know, I think I really got into at like ten years, well eight or nine. I just remember like running around Amaha, Nebraska with my shoes off. I never wore shoes. I never wore really, yeah, I would just like run around and like playing creeks. I was like Hugbary Finn or something. You know. It was just like so Midwest, and I just remember my imagination was huge. I love building forts and creating stories and making little Uh yeah, I wanted to be like I remember, I wanted to be a baseball player and a mad scientist. I was like that. That was just I think back in fut just came out and I was really into like Doc Brown or something, right, yeah, and then and then I started doing like local theater, and I realized at a very young age, like around ten, that oh, if I'm an actor, I can do all those things. And I'm one of those weirdos that I fell in love with it at a young age, acting and in storytelling, and I've I've kind of dedicated my whole existence in life. I found my purpose and I was like, that's it. I just narrowed in on it and I never stopped that. I have such like a I've had an amazing life. I'm very grateful, but I do feel like I've had a very narrow focus in point of view my entire life, Like I've only through the filter of storytelling and being an artist, Like I never pursued anything but that.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. How how did you wind up doing a local theater so young? Did you ask your parents or did you have a friend getting into it? What was what was the sort of bottleneck?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you the origin story, right, Yeah, So my parents were, you know, like we were running errands with my sister and I my younger sister, and she was in ballet and she had an audition for the local Nutcracker at the Omaha Ballet at Conservatory, which they do every year, and I was with them and they were shoes auditioning, and then they came out and asked me if I wanted to audition. I was like, I don't dance. I don't know then I don't wear shoes, and they're like, oh, we need we need boys for the for the for the for the play, it'd be great, or for the ballet, and so I like went in there. I just remember like doing cartwheels and like I had ad HD. So I was just like bouncing up the balls and doing whatever. And I got the part and of Fritz, which is like the main kid, and I got to get off school for three weeks and tour and perform and feel what it was like to be part of a troop. And I just loved it. I was like getting in wardrobe, and I mean I wasn't a great dancer, but I did love like the facade of like being backstage and then coming on stage. That was really cool to me. And so I didn't when I came back, I didn't really pursue ballet, but I started getting into to like local community. There was a theater called Amy Gifford Theater Children's Theater which in Omaha, and I remember doing all of Her the play there and I just loved it. And then my parents, my dad got a new job and he moved the family to Saint Louis from Omaha. So I was around twelve years old and I didn't know anybody really, and I thought, well, hey, you know when I did plays, I would meet new people and that's a good way to socialize and I love doing that. So I just kept doing it. And that's sort of I was just like a theater dork wow, all through high school and then I, you know, I moved to New York when I was eighteen to get serious about it.
Speaker 1: And what was that like? I mean, did going for college make it feel a little easier or did you through theater and touring in the company, had you met agents, did you know how to get a foot in the door, or were you like I'm just gonna go figure it out.
Speaker 2: No, it's funny. I mean, my I was so ambitious as a kid, like I really wanted to do it. And I remember there was a talent scout that came through Saint Louis and he he did this workshop in New Jersey where he would take young actors and then he would you would you would learn from acting coaches and teachers and then you could you would do performance at the end of like the week or two weeks and agents would be there. It's like a showcase. And I ended up doing this this camp and I remember getting interest from an agent in New York. We performed in like an off Broadway. I was like fifteen years old or something like that, performed in an off Broadway theater and there was some interest for some agents that I told my parents. I'm like, hey, you know, these agents want me to come to New York and like try to audition this summer. I really would like to do that. And they're like, why don't you just go to camp and be a kid and then if you really want to do this, you can do it when you're eighteen, And so I'm At the time, I was really bummed out and hurt by that, But looking back, I'm so grateful because you know, I don't know, I just feel like the more like if you can live and before you become an actor of the better. You know. Yeah, it's such a hard business too, So I don't know, there's there's I think they knew. I think they intuitively knew that that like heartbreak was coming, So don't bring it on so early, because this career is full of heartbreak In hardship as much as it's full of you know, amazing opportunities and we've been so fortunate to keep working in this business for so long. But you know we've each every actor it's gotten their heartbroken for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that's one of those truths that's sort of hidden from public view. People can look at careers and go, wow, you know you've worked so consistently or you've done so well, you made these things, and you're like, yeah, I can count myself one of the lucky ones. And still most of my life and career is based on rejection.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even when you're successful, it's mostly rejection.
Speaker 2: So really it can. It can take its toll on you mentally for sure. And living in LA that can that can really because you're always it's really unhealthy to compare yourself to other people and you can never it's easy to never feel like you're making it or good enough. There's always another step, there's always another level that I think the key to happiness is just to try to get off that hamster reel mentally and just try to pursue what's in front of you and do your best and not being comfortable with anybody except yourself.
Speaker 1: I think that's really wise, and I think your parents had such a good instinct to say, let's at least wait until you're a legal adult, give yourself just a moment to be a kid, because once you're once you grow up. You know, air quotes for folks at home, you never get it back. And it's cool to hear that your parents did that. Mine did the same. And yeah, when I really fell in love with theater, you know, and I thought I wanted to be a doctor, you know, my big dream was to be a heart surgeon. And then I an arts requirement at the end of middle school and I had to do a play. I was so pissed about it. I was like, this isn't for me, and uh. And then I went, oh, wait, a play is just a book that's alive. Change my whole worldview. And then I got so into it that by I think the end of my sophomore year, I was asking if I could start, you know, going out on casting calls. My parents said, absolutely not. If you want to do this when you're eighteen, we'll have the conversation. And I'm really glad. I'm glad that I got to have a sweet normal high school experience without all this pressure added to it, because there's enough.
Speaker 2: Pressure out the California right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you know, ire I grew up in LA like you know, Miracle Mile area, and then in junior high I started going to school in Pasadena and that's where I did junior high in high school. So it was nice to just, yeah, have a moment before the baptism by fire started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they were on the same wave life.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in just a minute, but here's a word from our sponsors. So what happens when you get to New York? Like, are you a wildly responsible student at NYU doing all your homework and going on auditions or did you just go crazy because you had moved to New York City from Omaha and you were like, hello world, what was happening you.
Speaker 2: More of that. I was always a little Yeah, I like to get after it a little bit. And so you know, I got to New York City and there's no parents, and you know, there's no campus. You're basically just a kid running around New York City that's in the Midwest. That was like such a shock. So yeah, I mean I took on. Yeah, I definitely had a lot of fun. But I was a pretty good student. I would say I was focused on the acting stuff for sure. And I was in a conservatory type of environment three days a week, like nine to five, you know, acting class. The undergrad program, nay was fantastic, but I was very ambitious, and I started auditioning right I found an agent, started doing commercials, started doing like little guest stars, like I got like a word on the Sopranos. I got killed in Law and Order, you know, I got a movie, you know, a civil action, and so I started getting on sets and I was like doing extra work so I could. I was like one of those kids who was working and also going to school. I didn't get a series or anything like that, but just like little enough to like learn what it's like to be on a set, and enough getting enough credits. So after I finished college and I came out to l A, I had I didn't. I didn't come to la with nothing. I had like some some New York credits, which was super helpful to get it. Even though I had one word on the Sopranos. They were like, oh, Sopranos.
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah, it was really.
Speaker 2: Blink. You'll miss me.
Speaker 1: That's so great. So what made you make the.
Speaker 2: Move to la I just thought that. I went and visited over a summer, and I got like two jobs in the first week I was there. I remember I got like the X Files, which I got cut out of, but for some reason, I still get residual Thank you for the thirty cents.
Speaker 1: I get nothing like a thirty four cent check.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, there was a Boston public I got that. Remember that showing Fox back in the day. Yeah, I ended up doing that again as another character, but uh yeah. And then I went back to New York and I was like bartending and struggling, and I'm like, I remember one day I was like living in this small apartment in the East Village on seven between B and C, and and like I heard some water running and I opened my bedroom door and there was just like brown water falling from the ceiling and someone's the neighbor above us. The toilet overflowed and just it's a leak. And I was like, I'm out, I'm done. I'm done. When New York, Yeah, there's coming from the sky.
Speaker 1: Like about yeah, like congratulations in New York.
Speaker 2: You broke me. And then yeah, I made the move to LA. Uh and then yeah, but it's oddly enough, like a few years later, I started working a lot in New York, and so I'm kind of closed ever since.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's always the interesting thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: People have asked, Oh, because you grew up in LA, were you in the business young?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: You you know you grew up in LA. You must have been working there all the time. No, nothing shoots here. Yeah, no, we go everywhere but here, And so it's kind of interesting to realize that this is sort of the heart of it all, but it actually takes place essentially everywhere but Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been fortunate. I've actually gotten a few jobs out there, which I've been lucky, you know. Yeah, it's the best when you get at LA New York job.
Speaker 1: Online, Oh my god. Oh well, Chicago has the best food. That's a good place. That's a good place to shoot because you can go out and just eat delicious things all the time.
Speaker 2: If you have to do a scene with your shirt off, which I do coming up, Oh yeah, I thought I was aging into a character actor. I got to do this again.
Speaker 1: You're like, oh, but I've been eating deep dish every night this week. Oh no, yeah, it's not ideal. Okay, so talk about we we're going to talk about our project, but we have to give the people what I know they want to know. Talk about where One Tree Hill fit into your life, because that's where we met. I mean you you turned Jake Chigalski into such an iconic character. We've talked about this a lot on Drama Queens. Everybody knows, by the way, including your wife, who I love so much and who's such a good sport. When we're like, oh yeah, you know that, like everyone was in love with your husband. We all cried when he left. She's like, I know, he's the best, Jamie's the coolest.
Speaker 2: I mean that's okay.
Speaker 1: Who has like who that's with? Any of us has seen it? Jeffrey's never seen it. Hillary teeses them all the time. I don't know. I don't know what it would be like to be in a relationship with someone who was like, oh yeah, I was a huge fan of that show. Weird, Yeah it might be weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, So how did it come about?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: I was in La after after New York, and I was like, you know, bartending, catering, you know, struggling a couple of jobs here and there until I got this one movie for Paramount called The Perfect Score and uh, you know, starring Chris Evans and scarletor Hanssen, Erica christensensual probably casual huge. That job really did. I thought it was going to change my life even more, like I thought I would never have to audition again. That was certainly, but it did actually change my life because it was my first studio movie like like.
Speaker 3: A lead in like a lead And then the writer of that wrote One Tree Hill, and also the director, uh it was the producer of One Tree Hill.
Speaker 2: So they sort of I think they wrote this character we had we really got on and they wrote this character, Jake Tigelski, and they were like, hey, you want to come in and kind of recur and this is the I was like, wow, yeah, this is great. I mean I think I did like a like a faux audition, but like I think they were setting it up for me, you know what I mean. They were like, oh, I think I did. I think I did read but kind of knowing that like it's mine to lose, which is almost more pressure. I hate when that happens. It's like they're like, oh, you got it. Just audition You're like okay, And then I've done it this so many times where I've just blown it because.
Speaker 1: Because auditioning is terrifying and nerve wrecking and I don't know why we do it.
Speaker 2: Oh it, but yeah, and then I ended up doing One Tree Hill and they wrote this great character, like the most endearing character of all time. You know, a single father in high school who's you know, doesn't he has a zen like Buddhist quality to him. Uh, just really well written character. I mean, honestly, people give me the credit, but I'm like, I did I just showed up and said the lines and was the guy. You know, I didn't. I didn't write it. So it was it was it was almost impossible to not root for J. T. Gelski. So it was like it was such a it was great, and I don't think any of us knew that this show was going to be as iconic as as it is still to this day. It's crazy. It's like, definitely the most the biggest thing I've ever been a part of that's like lasted the test of time. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty wild because we really didn't we didn't have a clue. I think when I think back, what really sticks out to me is what great chemistry we all had, Like it felt like there was some magic in the air whenever we were all together. And you know, earlier today, when when we were doing some of the prep for the premiere of our movie this week, I remember I was saying to you and Jamie that it was always really interesting to us because you know, we started in July. Hillary and I both have our birthdays in July. She and I had just turned twenty one a week apart, and we were still like buzzing with excitement that we could actually like walk right into bars. We didn't need to figure out how to sneak into comedy shows or whatever. And you were so cool. You were just like, yeah, come on, guys. You were kind of leading us around, showing us how to do things. And you said it today. You were like you were twenty one. I was only twenty four, and my brain kind of broke because you really did. Like I know, we were all friends, We've always felt like the same age, but you had this very stoic sort of coolness to you that we all were like, Brian knows what he's doing like, if we don't know what to do about something, we should probably ask Brian, like he'll have the answer. And it's so cozy that you didn't feel that way.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel that way because I only I had some experience, like we just went over, like I had a couple of things on my belt. But I was never a series regular like you were. And I mean I did like one big movie and like it wasn't even that big, it didn't do that well. So it's just like, it's just funny that you thought of me as that way, and I just I felt like just a kid. But when you're twenty four, there's a big in twenty one, there's a big that feels like a big age difference at that time. Now, but at that time, yeah, I could see how I look up somebody's twenty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well now we just all feel like the same age. But it is you sort of go like, oh, you've really been doing this for a while, and you know, you were coming off that movie. And for me, I think, you know, I'd done projects and some indie movies and some TV stuff. I think the longest arc I'd had on a show was on Niptock but this was my yeah, like this was my first series regular job, and so I was just looking around being like, okay, just do what everybody else does, pretend you know stuff. And I think I got a little bit of a pass being from LA. People assumed I knew things, And meanwhile I was sitting there like guys three years ago, like I was in all girls school wearing a uniform. I don't know anything about anything.
Speaker 2: I do remember like it happening very fast, like the success of the show. I remember like, yeah, it was only a few months, like we started shooting and then we aired and then all of a sudden, like we're doing TRL and I was like, oh, this is this is happening, Like this is a phenomenon. It's like actually connecting with an audience. And it happened quick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happened really really fast, especially because our show, So we started filming in July for our friends listening at home. Our show was supposed to be a mid season premiere that January, and one of their shows wasn't working and they canned it and they put us on in September.
Speaker 2: Oh, so we only had like an episode or two in.
Speaker 1: The Yeah, so we got thrown on the air really fast, and then the show took off and by the time we went to TRL, like, the folks at MTV were like, we had to hire extra security. We haven't had a crowd this big since eminem came, and we were all like what eminem us, Like, we had no idea what was happening because we were all just you know, in Wilmington, like getting peel and eat shrimp after work. We had no clue what was happening out in the larger.
Speaker 2: For my point of view, like I wasn't a series regular. I was a star so weird. So like I was like, I'm going to tr L like I'm not even like you guys were the I wasn't. I was getting paid nothing, like I was just like.
Speaker 1: Bro, we were all getting fait nothing. It's okay, yea more than me.
Speaker 2: And I didn't even know how to do the next episode. I was dying to be a regular. I remember, I was like, oh man, maybe they'll make me a regular, and they're like the writers, so they gotta have to wait. You know, it's it's looking good, but we don't know, we don't know, And I was like I was still auditioning for other things and meaningful the things. Remember I got that other job Unscripted.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you mean that George Clooney show Casual Gay.
Speaker 2: Well you can't even find that show now, which is weird. It's like evaporated to the ether. But it was one of the coolest things I've ever worked on, for sure. It was the HBO show called Unscripted that George Clooney and Steven Soderberg and Grant has Left created and it was about actors making it in Hollywood. It was like a faux reality show where like I was pretending I was playing myself, but it was like a version of myself, and yeah, the whole thing. But I remember like HBO was like, we want to make you a regular. We want to we want to do in this series, and we're gonna make you regular. And then as soon as like the WB at the time heard that, They're like, oh, we want to make Brian a regular, I was like, too late. I'll I mean came back and we you know a p year.
Speaker 1: You know, well, you that was one of the things that was so much fun is every time you had some time in between gigs or things, you would come back and you know, I remember when you went and did Prime and if you haven't seen Prime, like rom com fans, what are you doing? It's such a good movie. It's Brian and Uma Thurman and Meryl Streep like hell that way, hello, what an insane thing. And we were just like our friend is a movie star. And then you would still come back and hang and it was really special. I think to all of us that you know, you always made time where you could for the show, and I know that it really did create such a really special, like lasting effect for all the fans too.
Speaker 2: Well. I loved you guys, I love the character, and I just loved working on it was you know, I wanted to do it until I actually couldn't you know what I mean. It was like I felt like, you know, I was on Montreal for three seasons, and I felt like, yeah, maybe Jake could have gone on and done more. But I felt like it was a really good arc. I feel like I did, uh, you know. I felt like history was told and it was it was good. I mean that show has like so many different iterations, like so many different cast members coming in and out. But yeah, I don't know. And then I, you know, I went off to do other things, but I was I tried to make time and come back when I could. That was just a crazy time in my life, like there's so much coming at me, and it just came to a point where like it wasn't feasible anymore. And I also felt like the story was told like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that when you really feel like something has has come to the end of its track. Yeah, it's nice to go out on a high note. And I'm sure your knees thanked you that you didn't have to play basketball for eighteen hours a day in converse anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they put me in converse as my feet.
Speaker 1: I remember you like we would have days in the gym where by the end of it you were just hobbling, and I was like, we are too young for you to be in this much pain. Somebody get this man some insoles.
Speaker 2: Good memory. Yeah, that was Uh, that was brutal being in a real sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was fun though, because you're a good basketball player. James was such a good basketball player. Obviously, so many of the guys who came in, like Naian and all the boys were really good, Like they really did play. And there were days I remember in the gym, like watching you all from the sidelines, being like, God, they really are having fun. And it was sweet to watch because I think that energy was palpable on screen.
Speaker 2: We love those days because we would just get to play ball and then we played ball all the time outside shooting too. Yeah, it was great. I have a lot of fond memories of that shows. Like I said, I've been all in the world. I've done a lot of different things, but that's the one job that, like, you know, I think people know me for and I'm really grateful for it. And I'm just it's so hard in this this career to like do anything that connects with an audience and that continues to connect with generations of audiences. So I'm just really grateful the attorney to play that character. I love it and subjumption.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, like, how how do we tell folks what the fast forward looks like? Because for the.
Speaker 2: Frames, Oh you became a big TV star, you're very sweet and a movie star.
Speaker 1: Well, we're all just out here trying to do things we love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, very successful. Didn't return my calls for years, Oh you wish?
Speaker 1: And now a word from our sponsors who make this show possible. It is actually really interesting, isn't it like that we we all went off and did so much work, but we always stayed connected. And do you think that being on sets like you were so young, like going and working with producers of the Soderberg level, like watching Merrill on set? Were you do you really feel like you were kind of preparing yourself to write and direct, maybe even subconsciously, or was it like something do you remember when consciously you decided that that was something you wanted to pursue.
Speaker 2: You know, It's funny. I don't remember consciously, but I remember consciously like being a sponge at, you know, whenever, whenever I'm on a set, I'm always like, every day I have two goals like what can I learn? And how can I be surprised? And how can I surprise myself? You know, And that goes every day on a set. You know. I'm always looking to learn, I'm always looking to surprise myself. And I think that that what keeps me in the quest of being curious and listening and and so I didn't know that I wanted to write, but I think, you know, when I went to n y U They didn't teach us to write our own stuff. We were just training to be actors and interpret the writer's material and be vessels for the script and that's it and just you know, do that. And I think it's like five years younger than me, like the Donald Glover's, the Mindy Kalings, you know. Uh is like all these people like these I'm sorry, they all like started making their own stuff. And I'm like, wow, that never occurred to me. You know, that wasn't thought like I thought. I was just in this lane, you know, and had hyper focus on being an actor. So you know, the truth is there's a lot of ups and downs in a career and I was at a downpoint and I wasn't getting the roles that I wanted and I was working but not being challenged, I would say, and I dig deeper and and I was I don't know this. This idea came to me for junction because you know, I went in for a routine surgery a few years ago and I was prescribed oxy cotton and I became somewhat hooked. I want to make it very clear that I'm not an addict and I'm an ally but I just but I. I did have like a little scary time there, you know that I was like, oh, this could go either way, you know, And there's a couple of months I just don't remember, and and uh and so I was was I wanted to I wanted to kind of understand the crisis, the opioid crisis, and and talk about that in a film. How do I do that? So I don't know, I just that's what started inspiring me to write. I think it was during during COVID I and uh yeah, I just was like, really had time and I just want to put all my energy into it. And I enjoyed it. And then it's funny, Mom, you know that I'm writing. She's like, you know you started as a writer. It's like what She's like, Well, you know when you're a kid, you used to write all those short stories. And I was like, oh, yeah, I guess I did when I was a kid, and you know, I wrote music and I was always writing. You know, I just didn't really think of myself as a writer. But yeah, I forget the question.
Speaker 1: No, I The question was just how how did you decide to do this and you know, with this project and to become a writer and a director. And I think it's really interesting because it kind of goes back to my first question, right, like who were you when you were little? You do, in hindsight see that parts of yourself have always been there, that you've always been expressing this part of your creativity, and you know now you've got a movie that you wrote, directed and started coming out Hello.
Speaker 2: Love It's crazy. I mean, you just I guess being an actor for so long, I love it, and I continue to love it. I'm on a show right now just as an actor, and I'm very grateful and I still truly love the craft of acting and I'm very dedicated to it. But it is limiting in the sense of storytelling, like you can only do use your body and voice and interpret these lines. And I just felt like I had had other skills to tell a story, and I wanted to put them to the test, and and I thought that this is the story I want to tell. And there's just so many tools, like working with actors, working with an editor, working with the DP. It's like, it's so fun. And I wanted to do set out to direct to see if I really could do it, because I was like, maybe I could do this maybe I don't know. There is only one way to know. You just got baptism through fire and just throw stuff into it. And I just wouldn't take no for an answer, Like I just kept people trying to get me off the project or the producers I brought it to, like maybe if you're not directing it, we can get a may because you're first time er, nobody cares, don't know, you know, you know that kind of thing. I'm like, no, I think I can do this. I think I I think I want to I do want to do this, I want to do this. I'm going to do this. And I just like kept that focus and you know, eventually found the money and you know, which was huge, and that that that validated the project. And then you know came on board and you know, so many great actors came on board and here we go.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, it's so exciting and you put you put such a beautiful cast together. You wrote a really beautiful script. You know, when you first called me and said, hey, I would love it if you'd come and work on this and you know, play my character's ex wife and this is what it's about. I was like, yes, and you were like, well, read it, and I was like, well, I'm going to read it obviously, but like the answer is yes, let's go do this movie. And it's just true. Man. I think, I think the people who know you and love you not only you know, do we love who you are as a person, but like we know your taste level, and you are a really insightful, really talented human. And I knew that this was going to be really special. And one of the things I really appreciated about it when I sat down to read the script for the first time was the way that you humanized addiction through your character. You know this, as you said, you experienced this guy had a routine shoulder surgery, and you know, when you're getting your arm opened up or your back opened up, these medications can really make the difference for people being able to recover and still be in their lives, to not be so immobilized by pain. And yet there's like that razor's edge of this medication can help save your life after something potentially catastrophic happens, and it can also take your life. And I'm really curious. You know, you talk about how you didn't wind up in full addiction, but you wound up realizing that this medication was in you in a way, it was making it was making you sick. How do you think you identified the difference? How do you think you knew to make a change before it had gone too far? Because I asked the question really, because this is a crisis, This is an epidemic around the country, and I would imagine there's people listening today who have either been through this or have family going through this and are probably going but yeah, how do I know when to say something? Or how do I know when to ask for help? So, being as in tune with your body and your mind as you have to be to be a performer, how did you know when you were on the kind of dangerous side of that edge?
Speaker 2: Well, my pill intake would just keep going up, becaues it would work, you know, like it started one, three, five, ten. You know, it's just like you keep popping sip a couple of beers. Help that help that kicks in, you know, like and then you just then all of a sudden, it's like four or five months ago by and you're like, where am I, What's going on? What's happening?
Speaker 1: And they just keep prescribing them to you until they didn't ah, and and you're I basically was cut off.
Speaker 2: And I you know, it's not that hard to go and find the pills. But you know, I don't want to say that, like I'm stronger than you know people who are addicted, because I'm not because I was addicted, but I just didn't And it does. The thing that people don't understand is that, like when you're on taking those those many opioids, it really does complicate and compromise your your frontal cortex, so your decision That's why I like, why would you ever do something like that? It's because they're not thinking, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like, it's not me who did it. It was a diminished me. It's a diminished person from the side effects.
Speaker 2: Your decision making processes compromised. So I could have gone to the streets found it. But I am a very I don't know. I guess I'm lucky that I'm a very headstrong person. And I mean the same thing, I used to smoke cigarettes and and I just didn't like having that. I needed it for when I was happy, when needed it when I'm sad, And it was the same thing, like I just I don't like having something over me, you know that really it kind of I'm not good with authority. I don't like people telling me what to do. I don't like it, you know what I mean. So I don't I don't know. I just I think there's something like there's a little bit of a fighter in me that wanted to just like fight that. And it was hard getting off those bills. I was sick, very sick for a few days. And that's not a good feeling. And I understand why people don't want to feel that way. And it's you're just physically, you know, you're sweating your feverish 're like it's like it's like the worst flu, and it's you're not just grown up. It's like it's not a good feeling, and you'll do anything to not feel that way. And that's why people go to the streets and you know, final alternatives. But I don't know. I guess I'm just I'm lucky. I didn't get too far in too deep. I got I had a brush with it, you know, yeah, not to scare me, but not enough for a full blown addiction. Gratefully, because I've lost friends and I know people that have passed and it's a really scary thing. So so, yeah, that's that was my personal experience with it. But I'm very I'm one of the fortunate ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did did that sort of full picture experience, knowing that perhaps it had gone another month, you would have been so sick that you might not have been able to stop, knowing that there's folks who you've known and loved who aren't around anymore because of this. You know, the I would imagine the influx of the news where every day there's more stories, and every day there's more horrible things happening, and you know, we're watching the pharmaceutical lawsuits and we're hearing about the death rates around the country. How did all of that make you decide, Okay, I'm going to write about this. Not just I've been through this. I could advocate for a charity, I could go and speak to students, but like, I want to make something about this. I want to get this story out of me. What was that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think at the time, you know, it takes a long time for these films, to independent films to get made. Even though I wrote this four years ago, you know, it took it took a long time to get it made and get the funny and get to get it out there. But you know, at the time, there were no stories being told about it, and I think that's kind of what another thing that was pissing me off. And you know, since then, we've been very fortunate. I am I'm I'm so happy that other stories are being told about this, like Dope Sick. I think it's Danny Strong did an amazing job on that who uh Me series. But I just wanted to encapsulate it was it was one personally. It was a way for me to get my head around this sort of overwhelming crisis and and try to understand it and and and so I would cold call journalists who were understood understood what was going on with like the Sacklerts and and Prdue Pharma. And you know, I was writing this while the story was changing. You know, before they they were uh found guilty but and they're still trying to fight it through bankruptcy courts. But uh but it was an evolving story and I'm not an expert, so I sought out the experts to to to help me understand it. And I don't know, I just wanted to paint. I didn't want to just do attic porn and just show like one because we've seen those movies. But you can't tell the story without telling that part of it. But I also wanted to show, like all the cogs in the wheel, in the net, in the big in the in the ship, in this ship that is sinking. I just thought you had to tell three different points of view to kind of encapsulate all of that. And it was my way to bring awareness to the to the crisis that at the time people were speaking about, to bring humanity to it. And I didn't want to do like like I mentioned, Dope Sick, because I think it's great, but we didn't have the luxury of, you know, seven eight hours to tell the story. We had ninety minutes, So I didn't do the exposition of this is not the opioid crisis. If you want to know how the opioid crisis started, don't watch this movie. This is not like an educational film, right. I try to make a character film about seemingly good people who get caught up in this this evil.
Speaker 1: Machine and now a word from our sponsors. And that's one of the things I love about the movie. You know, you structure this all in one day, and we see these three storylines, you know, these three verticals, if you will, and each lead of their own storyline. You know Ashley's character, doctor Davis, this doctor who runs a pain clinic, which is is it a pill mill? Is it not? Who is she? Why is she so motivated? What's going on with her kids? What's happening with her finances? We see, you know, the patriarch of a big pharmaceutical family whose company is being sued over their distribution of opioids. And we see your character, Michael, this character, yeah, you know this, this man who runs a restaurant and has a beautiful life, but everything sideways. The restaurant is risk and his wife is now his ex wife. That's me for our friends at home. You know, the relationship he has with his child is strained. And what I love so much about what you put into our storyline is that there's obvious pain there. Obviously this couple has been affected by this addiction and who knows whatever else, But we vacillate between fighting and laughing. You see love between these people. You see across all these three storylines. You see who these people are. You see who loves them each. You see who they go home to. You see that anybody who we've made into a statistic or a villain or a victim is a whole person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's what I learned.
Speaker 1: I just think it was a really really meaningful way to show people how this happens and who it affects, and what the ripple effects of this crisis are. And even though it's a movie about a heavy subject, there is love and there is joy, and there are these things that you wouldn't necessarily respect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because you know, I was I didn't want this to be a tough watch all the way through. Like we know it's it's it's we know what we're getting into with what the subject matter is, and it's inevitable, like this is not going to be a comedy. But you know, so I think to be true to the subject matter, you have to be you know, it had it had to be dramatic. But you know, in saying that, I didn't want to make it hard on the audience, you know, like I wanted to like you'd fall in love with these people and enjoy being in a room with them and knowing them, and yeah, like you said it beautifully like our relationship between Michael and Allison. What I love about it is like they are divorced, but they love each other. They love each other so much. And I don't know, I haven't seen that that. I mean, I'm sure that exists, but I haven't seen a lot of that maybe. And I thought that was a really fun to play with. And there was room for comedy. And we're joking around. Even in the lowest of the lows. There's still jokes being cracked and that's real, that's you know, And I didn't. I just think if you want to be real and you want to portray an accurate, uh you know, characterization of these of these people, like you can't paint them as black or white. It's gray. And sometimes they do bad things, but they mean well and sometimes they you know, it's just complicated. They all have their different reasons, even even Lawrence, who's that so the quote unquote you know, uh, evil patriarch. You know, he's trying to protect his family. He's trying to protect his family's legacy. He wants you know, he's got his own reasons for doing this. He's got his own ambitions and dreams too, and those are human beings and we're all complicated and up and and and it's not black and white, and I just I'm more drawn to that. That's what I'm that's ultimately and I was most interested in writing back. Yes, it takes place within the opium, in the world of the okioid crisis, but really it's like these characters, these nuances that I was I was fascinated by and then I wanted an export.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and I love it and it really it was so special to finally get to see the movie because you know, did.
Speaker 2: You watch it last night? Did you get chanted?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I know I watched it. I watched it at home on Saturday. I was like, I don't want to see it with an audience for the first time. But it's just it's really beautiful and it was really interesting too, you know, because for me being in it. I love when I'm in something and I get swept up in it and forget that I'm in it. Yeah, that's always really special. And then I get to have this dual experience where I get to watch it technically and see what takes and what shots round up in it, and I just get to be an audience member, and I had both of those things, and it flashed me back back, you know when we first come on screen together, where I was like, oh my god, I forgot how fast we shot this movie.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, seventeen days.
Speaker 1: Seventeen days, a whole movie in seventeen days. So for our friends at home, you know, Brian's talking about the fact that it took four years to get this movie made from top to bottom, and yet we had to shoot it in seventeen days. How did you get your head around starring in a movie having written it and directing for the first time because you didn't have the luxury of a three month shoot to do two scenes a day. We were jamming through stuff. How did you feel prepared for that? How did you keep your head screwed on well?
Speaker 2: Hiring actors like yourself who you didn't have to worry about, Like I don't like if I didn't give you one note, I still know you would have been great, you know what I mean? Like just knowing you could bring it and I did. It's just took such a relief. I mean, of course I tried to, you know, in preparation, we talked a lot about the characters, and and you know, you just in prep, you trust with your crew and and and your producers and your actors, and then with the scenes that I'm in with you, like I wasn't directing those scenes. I was just in those scenes as an actor with you, you know. And I don't remember if I gave you a lot of direction on the days when we were working together, because I feel like I was just kind of in the moment with you, you know. I mean maybe we tried different things, but I don't know if you might remember more because everything was such a blur, But I feel like I just kind of like let it go and just was an actor because I didn't want to be judging you while doing the scene with you. Yeah, it hard for you as an actress different. I don't know if you've worked with actors who have been directors before. I've never done that. I mean, I guess with Minnie Kaaling, she was like the writer and I would work with her that was there. She wasn't directing, though, But yeah, so I wonder how that was for you as an actor.
Speaker 1: I will say, I think especially when you're kind of gorilla shooting like we were, where everything's just so fast. It was really nice that we have such a history and a familiarity and a shorthand together, because it's much easier for me to sort of take the normal pressures of the first day on set and throw those away with a trusted friend, Like when you have twenty years of fill in the blank chemistry, intimacy knowledge, you know, language inside jokes with people, it changes your comfort level. And so it was kind of cool. I think that we were just like, we have no time, We've done the thing, we've done the calls in the zooms, we've got pages of notes in our scripts, and let's just do this. And you know, when I think about our last day of shooting, when we finished in the gym and the kids had to be wrapped because they have their schedules, and then we and did our whole you know, gallery shoot in the back room, and then it was like, we got two hours, what can we shoot? Let's just let's just improv a scene. Let's go, And it was so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we just like you were so great, and I was like, we have you, We've got a two hours. What can we do, Like, let's just let's use you like in that that's in the movie. There's nothing that we shot. There's not a scene that we that was scrapped in this movie. I didn't have a second to do overtime, you know, like it was so tight like some of these shots, and they had one take to do it. You know, it with a really tight, tight shoot. It's a miracle that it came together it did. But yeah, I mean, I think it's just like having actors like yourself who were just so good and I remember you came up with And also like I really tried to not have an ego, because how could I have an ego as a first time director, Like that's ridiculous. I've never done this before. I was confident in the telling the story, but I wasn't confident overly confident and pretending to know things I didn't know. And my philosophy was best idea wins. And I remember you had a line pitch that is in the movie that you came up with that I think, and I just thought it was like a throwback to a line that I said. I don't want to spoil it, but it's just like it's in the movie and it's a really great moment, and you know, that's all you, you know, And I mean, I guess I'm credit myself for like letting it happen, but like that's all you, you know, I mean, you brought.
Speaker 1: It, but well, thank you. That's the thing, though, it's when you collaborate well with people and to your point, when everybody shows up and checks their ego and it's just ready to go, Like it's so refreshing. That's why you can, if you have an extra hour on a day, say hey, let's throw three people in a car and go make it up as we go along. Yeah, you know, That's what I think I love about independent films the most is that, like nobody's showing up on an independent movie to pay the mortgage. We're showing up because we believe in the project. Yeah, and it does give you It's like Gooney's energy, where you're like we're going on an adventure and whatever happens, we're in it together and it's really special.
Speaker 2: Everybody has to be on that because like and the crew included like want the roll up our sleeves. It just like this is gonna be tough and no one's getting rich and just every we get on the same page of like wanting to tell the story. And how fun is this? How fun is this that we get the main movies and it's hard to get everybody on that page when it's like you're doing long days and it's like, you know, like no one's getting paid, but you know it, I don't know. I love making independent films. I love it because I've been on like huge budget movies and I just feel like nothing gets done. And you're making a movie by like committee as opposed to like independent films, where it's like a person's vision and you just get in line with that and and like you don't have the luxury of time to screw it up. You just have to keep shoot. There's an energy to it that keeps your toes and it's exciting, and I feel like that translates on camera and through you know. I don't know, I love it. Yeah, that's truly my heart lives.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. How was it for you? I mean, not only were you juggling all of the biggest plates on set, but you were also making an entire movie in seventeen days with two babies at home and Jamie, you know, for our friends at home, Jamie Chung, Brian's dreamboat of a wife, Like you know, again, we talk about all of this a lot on the other podcast, but when we watch the show and we all gush about you, and then we're like, can you believe we, like we're so obsessed with Jamie, Like maybe we even love her more than we love him. Who could ever love anyone more than Brian? Like Hillary and I just giggle because you know, we're obsessed with you, guys, And it was such a cool thing as your friend to like every once in a while, I had to sort of zoom out and go like, look at what he's doing, Look at what she's doing. Look at this character she's playing. It's so smart and thoughtful and different than something I've seen her do before. And like hold on, they have two twin babies that they also are dealing with right now, Like how did you do it? How did she do it? How did you do it? As a couple?
Speaker 2: Did do it a lot this? I gotta just take a moment to thank my wife, Jamie Chung, Like this movie doesn't get made without her. Tell you how passionate I wasn't telling this story and how hard it was to make this movie, and I got my chance to do it. The kids were six months old, twins. Yeah, and that's a tough ash. And this shot in Rhode Island and we lived in Los Angeles at the time, and she let me go off and chase my dreams and held it down and our family helped helped her out. And not only did she held it down with the kids, which at a really hard age, she came to Rhode Island and knocked it out the park in her role. And so I don't know, I'm just I'm eternally grateful to her for letting me do this movie. I mean, she really did allow me to do this movie. She said no, it's too hard, and I get it, but she didn't. She supported me, and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like that you use that word allowed, because I know what you mean. You don't mean it like in the parental sense of like you're allowed to do this. You mean like she made the allowances, she made the space for you to take space for yourself to go and achieve something, and that you know. I mean, we've talked to you other through a lot of relationship drama in twenty years, and like one of the things that makes me the happiest as your friend is to see this really symbiotic relationship you too have cultivated in your marriage where you really can like flow and tip the scales to be this total package as a team. And to do that, To to do that in the first year, where you've gone from a team of two to a team of four, is like an exponentially more impressive feat. And you managed to do this really impressive thing while also both giving incredible performances in this movie. It's like layers on layers of impressive love.
Speaker 2: But that's the other That's what it goes back to, Like, I you know, you cat. I cast Jane because I know she could kill it, you know what I mean, Like it wasn't just because she's my wife. It's because she's an amazing actress and she's my wife. But it's like she's an amazing actress and that's a really horrid role to come in there and be that endearing in that you know, heartbreaking of a character and just doing in a scene or two. It's like it's that easy work for an actor to pull that off. And she did. And I knew she. I knew she had it in her on the depth in her But yeah, I mean it's uh, it's amazing. It's just truly grateful and not just Jamie, but like everybody who came to play it, Kaandla Conlin, Ryan Eggles incredible and this is so good, oh so good, Griffin Dunn, Josh Peck, I mean, uh k, Thomas Hill, Harper Dashed my hug. I mean, everybody is so good in this. It's like I can't believe I got you all in the movie, right, because it's I've worked with first time directors. It's a risk. I don't usually do it anymore, to be honest, because I'm like, eh, I don't have it in me, you know. So I've had some good experiences, I've had some bad experiences, but it's usually a turnoff if I hear first time director. And so for you wants to come on board and just have the trust and faith in me to tell the story, It's like I'm eternally grateful. So I owe you one oh man always.
Speaker 1: And now a word from our sponsors, how is it now? You know we fast forward, I mean almost two years from when we shot the movie. Yeah, how does this feel to be on the precipice of it coming out? And what is it like to now have toddlers? And like does it feel crazy like no time has passed? But so much time has passed?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man, I know. It's like I've been very busy since the kids have been born. I mean, Jamie has been very awesome. I'm in Chicago right now shooting a series not with my family, and again she's holding it down, and so I am just like we have waves, like like I've had ways where I've had to sit down for a few years. You know. Right now I'm standing up, you know, and then I'll have to sit down and she'll stand up. And it's just I think that's the beauty of being married to an actor. And she's also not one of the crazy ones. Oh, we we're all crazy. But uh but you know, I feel like she's pretty grounded for for for being an actress and like, I don't know, I think she just knows this is my time to do this and and so she's been very helpful and and supportive. But yeah, it's it's been crazy watching The Journey of Junction. I just keep pinching myself because it's been it's been no the whole way, Like no, no one's gonna make a movie about to hope yours. No, No one's gonna make your first time director. No, you're acting in it too. No, you know you know it's like no, no, no, no no. And then all of a sudden, it's like we start winning festivals. You're like, whoa, Oh, I wasn't crazy. You know this is awesome.
Speaker 1: You're not crazy.
Speaker 2: You can see what I was seeing. Like it's not not about the awards or any of the acoletes and stuff. It's more just like validation have like, oh, yeah, this story did need to be told, and and you know, I feel like it's connecting with an audience and and it's so exciting, Like the press we're getting is amazing, and I can't wait for the premiere on Wednesday, and you're going to be doing the Today Show and it's like all this fun stuff. It's just like this is the fun part, you know, this is where you get to enjoy the ride and celebrate the hard work that we all put into it. So I'm really pinching myself. I'm saving the moment because I know after this, it's like I don't have another movie lined up to direct, Like I don't you know what I mean, I don't know what. I might be super depressed a like in a week, but right now I'm like on cloud nine.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that. I love that. And you know what feels cool too, is you're going to get this moment like you're on the ride and it's all celebration from here and then you know, you get a beat with your family, you get a beat with your babies. And it's so cool as your friend to watch you in this phase because you're being celebrated in your career in the way that you deserve to be. And it's been so fun to watch you be a dad because you wanted to be a dad for such a long time. Is it like everything you thought it would be and all the things you didn't know it would be.
Speaker 2: You know what, It's given me a purpose like that. I was always I felt like I was waiting to be a father for a long time. You know, I played Jake j Goils, played a lot of dad. I think I had dad vibes, you know, early on, but I you know, it took me a long time to become a father. And it's so weird. I feel like, in a weird cosmic way, like I've just kind of cracked the code and like I feel super grounded. I feel like I have an extreme purpose in my life. I love my boys so much. I'll do anything for them, and it's I do it, and I do it. It's like it's completely about them now, as much as I have all the stuff going on, but it's like my focus is you know, as actors, it's all about you. Can I get your coffee And it's so nice to like live for something else, for something more. Like I was bored. I was how many concerts could I go to? How many you know, vacations can I go on? And you know, I was just getting a little I've I felt like selfish. I was like living my life only for me, and now I get to go Like I hate Disneyland, but I went to Disneyland and it was great to watch it through their eyes. You know, I get to see the whole world through their eyes and then light up when they play with the train set and it's just like, I don't know, I feel like I've been enlightened, I guess as a way to put it. And I feel like the person I always wanted to be. I feel like instead of like trying to be that person. I feel like I am that person. I don't know if that makes sense. And like you, I feel like a confidence that's like a in an emotional depth that I can really lock into now that I was always hoping for now I have as an artist. It's I do feel different. I do feel like I'm a different person. I love that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe in a way, you're actually just more yourself, like you've grown into the fullness of yourself.
Speaker 2: I'm still growing, yeah, but yeah, yeah, that's another way I put it. Yeah, I do feel like I've grown into the flunced with Yeah, I love it. I don't know. It's it's a lot, you know, I mean, having at this age and working and doing it's just it's a lot of hats and but I'm not bored. Yeah, not bored.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it all. Right. Well, we're in this phase obviously where you know, you said it, you're kind of floating, like we're at this end stage where it's all celebration for this project that's been making and right, well that yeah, but they're really great so far. You know, when you're at this point where your boys are just getting big enough that they can play with each other and you're in this groove. But what whether it's looking back at this last year or perhaps looking forward into what's coming in the spring, Like, what do you think right now in your life feels like your work in progress.
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I like how you brought it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, all the way around to the title that last question.
Speaker 2: I love the title of that work in progress. It's great because I do I don't feel like you ever make it. I do always feel like you're you're growing and learning. I need to put junction Like in a week, I just feel like I can't write or think of the next story or I mean even the show that I'm on, Like I'm having trouble focusing and just like escaping into the role because I'm so still in Junction World. And I just need to close the chapter on this and celebrate it. And I think after you know, we do our little press tour and we do premiere, I'll be able to just kind of put it, put it down, and really like I can't. It's hard for me. I'm trying to write something, but I'm having a lot of difficulty because I'm still a Junction World. So yeah, I think I'm gonna and I'm gonna allow, but I'm a big believer in the subconscious and just letting that. You know, it's not have deadlines, but it's also nice to just dream and just walk around and have thoughts and like listen and see what those thoughts take you. And I'm really looking forward to I mean, as much as I would love to have my next project set up and ready to go in you know, in the summertime, and you know, keep that keep that answer, will going, I don't have it. Honestly, I don't have the next project set up. So I'm just gonna. I'm just gonna dream and just and just find it and know that this I proved myself that I can do it, and I will do it again. It's just gonna be a lot harder because now I get your kids and they do it's hard to write when you get two kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nap time, that's what that's for.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Well, I love it, and I you can I ask you.
Speaker 1: What my work in progress is. Yeah, oh gosh, yeah, you know, it's interesting. It's like I think for me, there's been this coalescing of things that I know. I love to learn, I love research, I love social science data. I love to know why we function the way we function, what things everyone's going through that feel unique but they're actually universal. What's finally started to click for me in a really interesting way is I feel like all the knowledge I've been collecting for a long time has gotten out of my head and into my heart. And I didn't I didn't know that I wasn't like in my body. I didn't know that I was intellectualizing a lot rather than feeling a lot. And to be in a in a phase where I'm like, oh my god, do other people feel like all the way to their toes? Has everyone just been living like this? This is crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think. I think I did a lot of work and I think the I think now I'm I'm like in progress. I'm embodied and it's it's wild. I think what it can take to get there in a life. But I'm immensely grateful for how present and whole everything feels right now. And for the first time in my life, I don't feel like I'm in a rush, like I'm just moving slow and happy. Yeah, And that feels nice.
Speaker 2: You seem happy, and you know, just as your friend, I'm so proud of you and just the leader you've become, and and and the woman you've become, and just like how you've always been championing social justice causes and and you're just such a you're such your born leader, like I look up to you as a friend, like I'm like you set soul, you know, and and and your curiosity is is what keeps you going. And I don't know, I'm just so proud of you.
Speaker 1: Thanks, But I'm very grateful that you know, twenty years ago we got thrown on a basketball court together. You're a real one.
Speaker 2: I have thought.
Speaker 1: I know we did good. Huh kidd all right?
Speaker 2: Progress, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see what we're doing in the next twenty you write it, let's go, okay, let's do another one.
Speaker 2: Oh still comedy now, oh.
Speaker 1: God, please, let's do a rom com.
Speaker 2: I'm actually That's what I'm working on right now is wrong com. I want to light it up. I'm like done. I thought it was good and important, but I'm ready to just not be so serious.
Speaker 1: You know what I want to say forever every time we make a movie, I and be like, yeah, I said yes before I read it. So I say, yes, let's go make a rom com.
Speaker 2: I'm in all right, that helps, okay, right with your voice in mind?
Speaker 1: Okay, great? Oh buddy, I love you. I'm so proud of you. Thanks for coming.
Speaker 2: Today, Thank you for having me. This is so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a ball in Chicago. I can't wait to see you at the premiere. If you sneak some deep dish home on the plane for me, I won't say no to it.
Speaker 2: What's your favorite one out here?
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like I always get in trouble, but like I really, I was always a lum mal Naudi's girl.
Speaker 2: So I gotta try that next.
Speaker 1: Oh it's yeah, yeah, after you're done with that and you don't feel the pressure, I'm just I'm going to send you my restaurant list with my like my star items on the menu at every single one. Yeah, yeah, I got you. I know of some things that are off menu at Oshibal that I can't talk about on the podcast, but I will text you. Ever.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, Ever, I love it, Buddy, to me, this is awesome in the movie. I can't wait for everybody to see your performance.
Speaker 1: I can't wait for everybody to see what you made. I'm honored to be a part of it. Okay, honey, I love you, I'll see you soon. Go