Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first, Like you know, to check the date of the big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one five, What's Right with Nick right on a I'll be honest, somewhat bitter sweet Tuesday morning. It's sweet because I was one of the few people in the media to have the courage to pick Miami Heat before the series, to stick with the Miami Heat even after the stomach punch of a Game seven loss or Game six loss pardon me going on the road for Game seven. The bitter part is because my original co host of the show, my beloved son Demons, who we may or may not hear from today, is a lifelong Celtics fan dating back to Rayjon Rondo and Ray Allen and his heartbroken by this loss. Thankfully he now lives in the state where sports betting is illegal, or else, I would imagine this would have been a financially crippling loss for him. We may hear from him shortly. We need to get into the game, get into a little finals preview. There's a little football to discuss as well. We appreciate you watching on YouTube. If you're watching right now on YouTube, don't forget to ask questions or comments in the chat and we will get to them in the third segment of the show. If you're an audio listener listening throughout the week, we appreciate that as well. Our YouTube numbers have been exceptional. Our audio pot podcast download numbers those could be juiced a bit, so we'd appreciate on iTunes or Apple Music or Spotify or wherever you get your podcast, if you would subscribe. Here is what is not on today's show. Jamison Williams unaware of the gambling policy in the NFL. I actually buy that since nearly a half dozen Detroit Lions we're suspended for the same thing. That's a lion's failure, not a player failure. The Milwaukee Bucks higher Adrian Griffin, the seventy six ers hire nick nurse and Leveon Bell says he's smoked weed before football games, which maybe explains his somewhat patient, almost lethargic running style, but it worked quite well for him. However, we must of course start with game seven from last night, and we must of course welcome back in after a brief absence Diora, who was not on this past Thursday because she had school responsibilities. Those school responsibilities were a trip to six Flags. Yeah, so she skipped work to go to six Flags? Diora, How are we starting today?
Speaker 3: Okay, so the Heat are heading to the finals. What's more impressive the Heat beating the Bucks in the Celtics en route to a finals? Or are you not losing faith in Jimmy after they dropped three in a row.
Speaker 2: Well they're both pretty damn impressive, I gotta tell you. And I was shocked by how many people were just adamant. Oh, once the Heat lost Game six, they have no shot. Why did they think that? So the argument is, oh, they can't come back from that type of stomach punch. Small history lesson here. So the last team to suffer that type of stomach punch loss. This was actually worse was, of course, the twenty thirteen San Antonio Spurs, which they weren't going to go to the finals, they were going to win the finals, and then Ray Allen hit a three to send the game to overtime, the Heat winning overtime, and then we go to Game seven. Now, of course the Heat did end up winning that game, but it was not because the San Antonio Spurs melted. It was not because they were hungover from the loss. In fact, the two biggest culprits of that loss were a young Kawhi Leonard and Mannu Genobili. They both missed a critical free throw, one each in the final forty five seconds of that game, which allowed the ra pardon me, the Ray Allen shot to tie the game. Kawhian Manhu played brilliantly in that Game seven. They only lost that game because Lebron dropped thirty seven and twelve. Conversely, the Miami Heat players who created the opportunity, Chris Bosh with the rebound and Ray Allen with the shot in that Game seven, the two of them, the team's third and fourth best players, scored a combined zero points they were zero for nine and the Heat won despite it was a two point game with thirty seconds left. So the reason I give you that brief history lesson is the idea that the Heat just weren't going to be able to overcome the emotional devastation of that game six is belied by history, particularly win you have a great coach and Eric Spolstra, and a great leader in Jimmy Butler. Furthermore, the Celtics have not been a You love when I say furthermore you laugh every time.
Speaker 3: I think it's really funny because I feel as if it's not necessary in the sentence.
Speaker 2: You know what, Sometimes I do these opening monologues. It's as if I'm writing an essay and just dictating it, and so I throw in words that you would use to adjoin thoughts or paragraphs within an essay. And that's why, that's why maybe I use some of the language I do as I was saying before I was rudely interrupted. Furthermore, the idea that the Celtics we're gonna have some massive home court advantage. They've been bad at home in the playoffs for two years now, and so I just didn't buy it, and I understand, folks are caught up on the alleged and seemingly obvious talent dispace between the Heat and the Celtics. But how far do we have to go until we are willing to say the Celtics are not the better team. The only piece of evidence we have that they're the better team is this year's regular season. These teams played each other in the conference finals. In twenty twenty Miami won they played last year, the Heat were the one seed from the regular season. They played each other in the conference finals last year. Jimmy Butler and Tyler Hero got hurt. Hero didn't even play this series. Butlers sent he played all the games but games three, four, and five. He was a shell of himself. Despite that, had an all time Game six, and then the Heat were a shot away from winning Game seven. And in this they played in the playoffs seven times. The Heat annihilated them in Game three, a de facto elimination game, Game seven, an actual elimination game, beat them soundly in games one and two, and came literally within point two seconds of winning Game six. They were point two seconds away from beating them five out of seven, including two laughers. The Heat are better Jimmy. I want to say this as well. If you value winning basketball, if you value playoff basketball, being a sixteen game player, you must acknowledge that Jimmy Butler is a top five player in the league. Yo, kitchenes in there, Jannis is in there, Steph is in there. After that, there is nobody that you can definitively say is better than Butler. He's better than Jason Tatum. I feel he's better than Devin Booker the last few years in the postseason. He's clearly been better than Kevin Durant.
Speaker 3: And better than Lebron.
Speaker 2: The last couple years in the postseason. You have to say it. Lebron missed the playoffs last year. I thought Lebron was excellent in the postseason this year. But even if you would have Lebron ahead of him, that's only four guys. But to me, Lebron, Durant, Jimmy or all Luca are all in that discussion For the four, five, six, seven spots, You've got to drop down Embiid, who keeps coming up short in the postseason. You to me, it is a question of how you view basketball. If right now you feel like Embiid is better than Butler. Butler constantly delivers, constantly gets better, constantly gets the most out of his teammates, never blames other people. Had a great line in the post game when he was asked about role players and he was like, I don't call him role players, I call him teammates. You feel like he's gonna come through. I don't think there's a player in the league. I would have been more confident in making all three free throws at the end of Game six than Jimmy so and Caleb Martin is a hell of a story. I understand some people wanted Caleb Martin win Eastern Comference Finals MVP. I would have been fine with it. He was better in Game seven. Jimmy was better in the entirety of the series. But we have sometimes in history, go back to Magic's rookie year. You gave him a Finals MVP because of what he did at the end of the series. I think it's Game six at the end of the series over Kareem, even though Kareem had been the dominant player in that series. But I just I think what Jimmy. The confidence Jimmy and Spolsra and still in that team makes every guy on the heat, the best version of themselves. And now we'll see how they do against the Nuggets, which we'll talk about in a moment. But now we've got to get to the flip side of this, which is the losing team go ahead.
Speaker 3: So bad news for Boston. The Celtics got embarrassed in Game seven. Good news, their coach has plenty of time to watch the town. Now, the assumption is Boston is making major changes this offseason. Are Tatum and Brown good enough to win a title or is it time to move on?
Speaker 2: Well, this is now where I would like to if we can go to a video that Diora surreptitiously recorded over my shoulder. You're always sititiously, surreptitiously. Uh, you're always saying that I'm in your phone. You were all in my phone.
Speaker 3: You're on the phone with my brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you were all in my conversation because demands jubilantly looked like maybe he'd had a couple pops. But that's okay. Watching Game six from a watering hole in Los Angeles facetimes me and let's go ahead and run the video.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I know, dudes, I can't I mean, you guys are so lucky.
Speaker 2: What I mean, give me a break. So this is kind of a real life version of how it started, how it's going. That's how it started on Friday.
Speaker 3: Also shows how much of a dad do you want? Why the screenshotting the messing up with your phone is just that.
Speaker 2: Is true if you were watching the video. I accidentally pulled my credit card up the little Apple paid thing up there. Accidentally. I was taking the old school screenshots. But that's fine. I like the old school screenshots because then you get your face in it as well. The regular the little tap button screenshot. You only get him as opposed to getting both of us. Doesn't matter. That's how it started. Here's how it's going live from Los Angeles, Demons. How you feeling this morning, sun.
Speaker 5: Well, it is seven in the morning. I'm feeling It's all right, man. The heater gonna get a gentleman's sweep and that'll be my my victory lap. Okay, how are.
Speaker 2: You we'll get to the finals a few days ago. I mean, that's listen, congrats that you guys made the exact same round and instead of instead of a hard fought four games, that all came down to the wire. But you know my team couldn't get any of them against the Nuggets. Your team at home against an eight seed had somehow found a fate worse than a sweep, which is you felt all the embarrassment of a sweep in those first three games. No what demonte back on camera? Please? Then you got Then you got your hopes built up in game four. Oh wait, game fives back in Boston. Then you beat him in game five. Then game six you're like, oh, don't let us win Game six, and you win it in the most miraculous fashion, only to no show at TD Garden fifteen first quarter points.
Speaker 5: Stress out up until five six o'clock yesterday. Come on now, man, you thought we were gonna win that series the whole time, up until six o'clock. Man, be serious.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I'm going to off the air. Send you some betting slips from yesterday that show how confident I was plus two seventy. Pay the man, I don't need the plus seven and a half. All take the money line plus two seventy. Thank you. Also a little little small taste on the heat at thirteen to one to win the title before tip off yesterday, but that's neither here nor there. Yeah, thirteen to one. That because everyone thought Boston was gonna win. They're like, they're three to one now, but everyone thought Boston was gonna win. For your donation, Okay, well we'll see, but let's talk about your Celtics because you had some takes yesterday, which was Jalen Brown's gotta go and Jason Tatum's milking his injury. So let's start with the Tatum thing. Let me ask you this a sober minded analyst, if Tatum never turns his ankle, do you think the Celtics win that game?
Speaker 5: You know I'm gonna be arrogant and.
Speaker 2: Said, yeah, okay, I don't do think that.
Speaker 5: I think that, you know, our best player hobbling around when seeing playing hurt. I think it definitely has an effect on the team. I do. I mean, maybe they don't win. I don't think that they get smoked the way that they did, but yes, I definitely do think that changes the outcome.
Speaker 2: Well, so I think maybe it changes some of the ebbs and flows. I felt like Miami was the better prepared team and Boston somehow was not prepared to deal with the Miami zone. But that does bring us to the Jalen Brown question, because the entire idea of having two stars is if one of your stars is compromised, one of your stars isn't one hundred percent, the other guy can step up instead. He was eight of twenty three. He looked like you dribbling out there. Just having the ball ripped away from him is just.
Speaker 5: That's so addious.
Speaker 2: And uh, to Jalen Brown or to you, to me, to me, Okay, I.
Speaker 5: Don't think we saw Jaylen Brown a star anymore. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: So you wouldn't pay him the five years?
Speaker 5: What'd you say? No?
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I can't hear you pressing the button.
Speaker 5: I am pressing the button, But no, I wouldn't give James.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's my bad. That was in my headphone. Sorry. So here's the deal. I don't think they can pay him that either, but we also know that if they don't, they've got to trade him. So I think there is a Damian Lillard trade trade to be made. Set it up and say it again, set it up immediately. I think there's a Damian Lillard trade to be made, and I think it's actually one that works for both teams. Because the Blazers have the third pick of the draft, So the Blazers add Jalen Brown. I think you could really just almost do it one for one, Jalen for Damian Lillard. Damien's better, but Jalen is younger, the Blazers are gonna need to spend some money. He's more on the right timeline. And Jalen just didn't seem like himself the whole postseason. And he is a more than capable second option, but he's clearly not a number one. And with the I don't want to get into the machinations of the new collective bargaining agreement, but you pay Jalen fifty million a year, and next year you're gonna have to pay Tatum sixty million a year. Sixty million a year. Uh, that's gonna be your team. And the whole idea behind having these two dominant wings is you can shut down the other team's wings while out playing them. Instead, they got outplayed by Jimmy Butler and Caleb Martin. No shame in getting out plaid by Jimmy Butler. A little shame of getting out played by Caleb Martin. By the way, mild media criticism is it too much to ask that the number one color commentator of the Eastern Conference Finals, Reggie Miller, if he is going to make the twenty minutes of the broadcast about how Caleb Martin is going to get paid, that he know that Caleb Martin this past offseason signed a three year contract, and that he's not a pending free agent and he just signed for three years twenty one million bucks, and that even if they wanted to pay him, they couldn't, and that it's just these guys. Not only does you treat every turned ankle like that, it might need to be amputated, is it which is constantly complaining about the game? What happened to the game? I love? You don't even have the facts right, and you're like, oh, this guy's gonna get paid. He's not a pending free agent. He already got paid. In your defense, it's not like he had been a big player in a seven game series. Oh wait, he had been the second best guy on the team that was winning the series.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 2: It's terrible you think he was better than Jimmy for the entirety of the series.
Speaker 5: Over I think not majority majority see that entirety.
Speaker 2: I thought he was better in Game seven. I thought Jimmy was better over the entirety of the series, and also Jimmy had obviously a bigger defensive focus, but it's detestament to him that it was even close. One last Celtics question for you, Pale, because I know you got to get to actual work. Would you bring back Missoula? I mean, would you bring back Missoula?
Speaker 5: What are the coaches that I can get instead of Missoula blast in the past with Doc Rivers or something.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think you'd want Doc Rivers. I want them got hired in Houston. He would have been a good fit.
Speaker 5: What'd you say, I said i'd want him for his Game seven strategies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I don't Yeah, maybe given another year. I'm not totally anti Missoula, but I do think if they're you know, coaches that have proven themselves already, then maybe yeah, pick those guys up. But uh, I don't want row before. I want Missoula out.
Speaker 2: Wow, just all the way out on Jalen Brown. Also, is someone going to write the story about how he actually cut his hand or are we still going to go with the I cut it picking up a broken vase huh. Like, as Tom Ziller said, listen, you don't have to tell me how you broke your hand. You cut your hand, but please don't think I'm dumb enough to believe that you were picking up broken glass as if it were trail mix and that's how you did it, because you cut your hand before the playoffs started, and in Game five it was reportedly gushing blood. Come on, man and listen. I like Jalen Brown. I like him as a person. I like what he represents off the court. But he seemed like he was really bothered, really bothered by all the trade rumors and it came to a head, and now he's almost cursed by the fact that the Celtics that he made second team All NBA. So it'd be five years, two hundred and ninety million. So I think major changes ahead in Boston. I would absolutely be in on seeing if Damian Lillard is interested in coming to town and you can cover up some of Lillard's defensive weaknesses with everyone else. But a starting five of because I I don't know what's next for for Horford if we're being totally honest here, but a starting five of Marcus Smart, Damian Lillard, Derek White. If you want to go three guards, that might be too small, but Tatum, Robert Williams and then Derek White, I guess could come off the bench. You you got to fill in the blank on the wingspot. You want to start Grant Williams. Maybe if Horford's still gonna be there, you start too, Bigs. That's a team that works, So listen, Pal, go ahead, Demanta, you can have a last word on your Celtics.
Speaker 5: That's that's not a bad It's not a bad team at all. I've got faith in that team. But I've I've got one more question for you, be Finally, did you did you hedge that that heat bet that you placed? Did you hedge it or no? So you're lie on air?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? I'm lying?
Speaker 5: You're lying?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: What am I lying about?
Speaker 5: What do you say? So you didn't you didn't hedge? You didn't bet the Nuggets to win the series? Maybe after your little what? What? What was what were the odds on the heat? No?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I bet the You're confused? Oh? I bet the heat?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 2: I bet?
Speaker 5: That's my mistake. That's my mistake. I thought, you bet the Heat to win the finals.
Speaker 2: I did yesterday before Game seven. Okay, I bet the.
Speaker 5: Heat, not the Eastern Conference Finals, the finals to beat the Nuggets. You bet?
Speaker 2: Okay, just be quiet for a moment because you're getting confused by the people in there. Yesterday, before Game seven tipped off, I had no bets going The only bet I had going into these playoffs was the Lakers at fifty to one. I didn't head that that lost. Going into last night, I made two wagers, a significant amount of money on the Heat to win the game at plus two seventy and a taste, a small amount of money on the Heat to win the NBA Championship in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty three at thirteen to one. The Heat money line bet already paid. And now I have sitting out there a small bet on the Heat at thirteen to one to win the title, which now has already four xt in value because they're like three to one to win the title against the Nuggets. And of course I didn't hedge it because I'm a gambler. I'm not a stock trader or a coward. I'm here to gamble.
Speaker 5: What's up the small bet was all I needed to hear.
Speaker 2: Okay, listen, all of a sudden, Demand's gonna pretend he's a big Michael Porter junior and Jamal Murray fan because he's so in pain about his Boston Celtics losing to the Miami Heat as opposed to what you should be rooting for is the Heat to win, because then you can convince yourself the Celtics and back to back years were the second best team in the league, not their fault. They lost to the Warriors and then lost to the champions. If the Heat get rolled, then the Celtics gotta feel like, oh man, we're far away, but that's fine. We should throw can we throw up? I mean, Demonde just gave it to us. But here's Demond's tweet from last night. If we can throw it up here in just a moment, just give the Nuggets the ring and Yoki his Finals MVP in the morning and call it a day. The ich Man I could taste the saltiness from through the screen.
Speaker 5: That's all right, And listen, that wasn't coming from a place of hate. That was just me coming from like the Celtics played a bad series. They're gonna play the Nuggets and they're gonna get destroyed. Like that's just the.
Speaker 2: Honest truth is. People thought the Heat had no Let me ask you this before you move on. If it would have been Celtics Nuggets, would you have given the Celtics a chance.
Speaker 5: A much bigger chance than the Heat.
Speaker 2: Yes, so yes, you'd have given them a chance. If it would have been Bucks nuggets, would you have given the Bucks a chance?
Speaker 5: Yes, I would have given them a better chance.
Speaker 2: Okay, the Heat just kicked both of their asses. This is what is so frustrating to me. Everyone's like, oh, the Heat, couldn't the Heat beat the Bucks? And then people were like, they're gonna lose to the Knicks. Huh. Then they wash out the Knicks. People are like, oh, they got no shot against the Celtics. Then they go up three nothing on Boston and then win a Game seven on the road, and they're like, but now they're gonna get crushed by the Nuggets. The Heat are going to be We're gonna have an image in two weeks of Jimmy Butler holding the Larry O'Brien Trophy and the Bill Russell Finals MVP Trophy in two weeks and people are gonna go on TV the next day and be like, you know what, I don't think that faking good. Hey, it's unbelievable. They're gonna beat everybody, and people are gonna be like, I don't know that I believe in them. They have too many undrafted guys. Meanwhile, the undrafted players keep busting everyone's ass. What No, I've come around. I've come around on Jokic, he did you know what, let's just get to demand say you're dismissed, thank you for coming in doora take back over. Let's do a finals preview, even though I just kind of did it.
Speaker 3: Okay, The finals are officially set with Game one and denverth on Thursday. Yeah, according to Demanza, the season is already over. Denver will be rested and Miami will be gassed. So who are you picking the Heat or the Nuggets.
Speaker 2: The Nuggets are a better team, and the Nuggets offense right now looks pretty unstoppable. And I did think the Lakers were really really good and the Nuggets beat them four oh. No those competitive games where they beat them four oh. But I'm gonna go with the Heat. Wow, I I'm gonna give you, Uh, did you just break the microphone? Are we good? I'm just asking if we need Are we good? Okay? I think Michael Malone's focus and constant haranguing of the media because god forbid, we spend a few days after they swept the Lakers of still talking about the Lakers because the Lakers are interesting and the Lakers employee the greatest player in the history of the league who contemplated retirement was a little pathetics too strong of a word, but embarrassing when Tom Brady lost to the Tennessee Titans in his final game as a Patriot and was contemplating retirement and didn't know what he was gonna do if that was gonna be his last game. Guess what, we spent more time talking about Brady and the Patriots than we did the Titans. That's not an indictment on the media. That is serving the customer. The Nuggets now have center stage for two weeks and Jokic has answered all of the questions, even his biggest critic has about him doing it on a deep playoff run. But the Heat are laser focused and they have an extra bit of motivation, not that they need it, but it's interesting, which is two years ago, Nikolajokic cheap shot at Mark Keith Morris when he was on the Heat knocked him out for the season with whiplash. And this was when the Nuggets Michael Malone benefited from the fact that we don't discuss them that much because it was an egregious cheap shot that knocked someone out for the season, and Jokis got a total pass on it, and it happened just a couple months after he had gotten thrown out of his final playoff game of the year with a different cheap shot. I just think that this Heat team is a team of destiny and this was an amazing first second step for the Nuggets on their quest to an eventual championship. And this is the final step for my Miami's been banging on this door for a few years now, and I think this is the year they get through. So I'll take the Heat, and I know that Vegas disagrees, and I know the analytics disagree. I'll take the Heat with Tyler Hero coming back mid series and adding a bit of a spark for them, So the Heat in six is my pick, all right, last one before we move on because we're going late again.
Speaker 3: The NFL season hasn't started, but Jimmy G is already injured. Luckily, they already have their replacement, soon to be minority owner, Tom Brady. Remember Brady wanted to be a player owner in Miami. Is Brady getting exactly what he wanted in Las Vegas?
Speaker 5: So no.
Speaker 2: First of all, the Jimmy G thing is odd. Credit to Mike Florio for getting it, for getting this story and having it having the actual contract details. Jimmy G's pro probably gonna eventually pass his physical and probably gonna eventually play for the Raiders. And I'm listen, I am not disregarding the possibility that Tom Brady does play for them. I think it is on the board. I don't think it's I think it's complicated because as an owner, you're not really allowed to play. The other teams would have to agree. But I think it's on the board. But the Raiders offensive line is not very good, in their defense stinks, and they're in a division with the best quarterback ever to live. So this is not a situation like him going to San Francisco with a ready made team, or even him going to Miami with a far better team than they have in Las Vegas. Right now, the Raiders right now are tied for the second lowest projected win total with the ahead of only the Cardinals, tied with the Texans and the Colts, and terrible in the Bucks in the rams. So I don't think this would be a good final act for Tom, but I do think he still might want to play. And so it's on the board. Uh, all right, that's it for the A block. We're gonna talk a little bit about Lebron's Instagram, sorry, Michael Malone, and then we're gonna play a game and then we'll get to your questions in the C block. That's all next, What's right?
Speaker 6: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Robliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon, MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jurelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya and Bobby Canavali watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 3: Welcome Back, Episode one fifty five. So we're gonna start our second block with a course more talk about Lebron. Lebron took to Instagram with a cryptic message, quoting Jay Z. Charles Barkley said that he thought Lebron intentionally teased retirement to shift conversation. Are you ready to speculate on Lebron's future again? Are you scared Mike Malone will come after you?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not scared Michael Malone's gonna come after me. I also think this criticism of Lebron is bananas. The idea that Lebron needed to shift the conversation when he had in Game four, had forty ten to nine, playing the entire game and just had by far the best old guy playoff game in the history of basketball is just nonsense. And yes, he got swept. Nobody was like, ah, Lebron didn't do enough, he didn't melt down, There was none of that. Do I think Lebron is retiring? No, My money wouldn't be on it. Do I think it's on the board. Yes? Do I think that the Western Conference Finals were a moment of basketball mortality in his face, Yes, because I believe, and I said this for I will say it again. For the first time in his life as a basketball player, he felt like, man, I played as well as I could and someone was better than me. Jokics was better than him in that series. And it's not because the moment was too big. It's not because Lebron it melted down like in the Dallas series. It was that he's thirty eight sixty five thousand minutes in and is still arguably, inarguably one of the ten best players and arguably come the playoffs one of the five best players in the league, but not or inarguably also not the best anymore. And I think that was a tough moment. And if you then add to it, if his son has privately told him either a, I think I'm gonna my plan to stay in college for three years or no matter when I come out, I don't want to be on the same team as you. I think it's bad for me. It excuse me. If any of that stuff has happened, and Lebron is like, well, if I'm not gonna be able to play with Bronni anyway, is twenty years, breaking Kareem's record, going on a nice playoff run, having a game where I played all forty eight minutes and had forty ten to nine be my final game. I think it's I think he's considering all of it. But this idea that he was just in a Machiavellian way trying to shift the conversation because what he was afraid that people were gonna criticize him because he didn't make the game winner in Game four. I just think that was nonsense. I think it was nonsense. Now does he put out Instagram stuff to make sure he stays in the conversation, Sure, but I think it's genuine, I really do. All right, let's play the game.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Okay, So now we're gonna play a game of two wrongs in one right, So our first one is. DeAndre Hopkins was released by the Cardinals last week. The star receiver is a free agent for the first time in his career. Hopskins should be a chief, a bill, a raven all.
Speaker 2: Right, deaf listen. He's an excellent player, even as he's gotten older, He's got as good a hands as anyone in football, and he would help anybody, But the Chiefs don't need him, and they have invested enough draft capital the trade for Kadarius Tony, the second round pick on sky Moore, the second round pick on roche Rice that I think they want to get those guys the reps and the opportunities, and they proved last year they don't need a star receiver to win the Super Bowl. So I don't think it's gonna be a Chief The Ravens wouldn't make sense, but they signed Odell. I'd like him to go to the Ravens. They signed Odell, they spent a first rounder on Bateman, they have spent resources on the position. I don't think he's gonna be a raven. The Bills, on the other hand, never caught up with the Chiefs and now have been passed by the Bengals and could be passed by other teams. And they don't have a number two receiver alongside Stefan Diggs. The Bills need him, and I think the Bills are the team that makes the most sense. Next.
Speaker 3: Okay, DK Metcalf called out Tyreek Hill for ducking his race challenges for over two years. The fastest player in the league is Tyreek Hill, DK Metcalf or somebody else.
Speaker 2: Listen. I'm if it's somebody else, I don't know who would be. It's not Dk Metcalf. He's like the fastest in the league pound for pound, as far as how big he is, Tyreek Hill is with the ball in his hands, especially when you incorporate the ability to decelerate and accelerate out of nowhere. The fastest player in league history as far as football tangible useful speed goes, it's Tyreek Hill and then a big gap between him and second place.
Speaker 3: Next, okay, next one. Aaron Rodgers dropped a bombshell on the Internet by confirming that he is a Swiftie and attended a Taylor Swift concert with Miles Tyler. He's been all over NYC lately. Aaron Rodgers is one of us trying too hard. Are still on aya? Dang it ayahuasca?
Speaker 2: Good job?
Speaker 3: I got it? Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 2: Before the show. I tried to go over that with you or I went over it three times, I know, and that last time we went over you got a little annoyed with me. You're like, I got it, I got it, and then you know I wasn't almost almost joking. You're an I don't know what one of us means, but that's certainly he's certainly not that, and that's fine. So that's wrong. Trying too hard, I think is right, and still on ayahuasca, might think.
Speaker 3: I was trying too hard. You don't think he's actually a swiftye.
Speaker 2: Well, I just think that like all of the public appearances stuff. Listen, after being in Green Bay all that time, I get why being in New York City is exciting and fun, but I think it's intentional and no, I do believe maybe he likes Taylor Swift, just like I think he enjoyed going to the hockey in the basketball games. But I do think he is making a point, and that's fine. It's not necessarily a bad thing to ingratiate himself to New York City and to be out in the public, which is fun and exciting for him, so I think. But it's a little bit trying to art and I think do I think he's still taking some of hallucinogens. Absolutely, there's no question about it. We have a follow up Taylor Swift question, Deora.
Speaker 3: Yes, so the Tan Swift song that best describes the Jets season is love Story, bad Blood, This is me try.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you a Taylor Swift fan.
Speaker 3: I'm more of a fan of our older music, like you Belong with Me in our song and like stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I'm people are gonna say I'm lying here. I think you can vouch for me. I obviously have heard probably one hundred Taylor Swift songs, but I can't identify any of it.
Speaker 3: You definitely could identify bad Blood.
Speaker 2: I'm no. What I'm saying is if I heard it, I know that I would be like, oh, yeah, I've heard this song, but when you read me those names, I can't try.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of that one.
Speaker 2: But I also I like, can't hear it in my head bad Blood, like you know what I mean. You know sometimes when you hear a song, you can play it in your head. I have no idea what any of these sound like. None I forgot was. But I think the song that will best describe the Jets season is this is Me trying. I do think they're doing their best, and again I'm basing this just off the titles, but I don't think it's going to be enough, And so I'm gonna go with This is Me Trying is the song. I don't think it'd be a love story because I don't think it's gonna go beautifully. I don't think it's gonna be bad Blood because I don't think it's gonna be a disaster. I think they're gonna try and just not be good enough. All right? Last one?
Speaker 3: Okay. Succession a story about a media icon with three kids wrapped up Sunday. The child to succeed Nick on what's right will be Demanse, me or Deanna. I'm gonna say Deanna.
Speaker 2: I'm she would be my last pick. Really yeah, I don't think she's interested. I don't think she I think she likes being in front of the camera and she likes doing it, uh and she likes feeling like a star. But I don't think. I just think she has no interest whatsoever. What what do you think I'll say?
Speaker 3: I think you'll say me and then Demanse. But I'm gonna say Demanse and then me.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. I don't I think Demanse might use this show to launch his own thing. You understand what I mean? Like, I think Demanse will it's it's for a lot of different reasons. There is there in succession. You know, this was a tortured example of it. But it's always a tough thing when you have a prominent father as a boy. And I dealt with this in a different way because my dad was one of the listen. He was a firefighter and the president of the firefighters union in Kansas City. But he was so entrenched in the Kansas City political scene as far as the firefighters union was a massive voting block and very influential, and he ran for city council at one point. They considered him for a judgeship at one point, and to this day is in you know, involved in Kansady politics and was the guy at the Kansaity Firefighters Union that there was when I was growing up, a lot of his friends assumed I would go become a firefighter and then I'd follow him his footsteps in the union. And because he casts such a large shadow in that world, I had no interest in it, but I wanted to kind of establish my own thing outside of it. For Demanse in like sports media, it's a weird spot for him because of who I am. So I think that he would if he wants to go into this type of thing on a more full time basis. He will want to brand jaw off and build it on his own. You're correct that I would pick you because you have so little interest in actual sports media that I think you would correctly figure out that if you end up continuing on the path that you're on, which is to be in front of the camera, on the stage and acting, that this is a good vehicle to keep people, to get in front of eyeballs of people who might not you know, and to potentially have somebody like, oh, she's someone that should audition for whatever. Does that make sense what I'm saying. Do you think I'm at all and I'm on to something at all?
Speaker 3: I mean you've told me this before.
Speaker 2: I know, But now that you've done it for a couple of months, do you think I'm onto something? Yeah? Sure, Yeah, so you're still skeptical. But Yora did open the door to when the Bridge project is over, it's continuing to do this podcast for.
Speaker 3: And I didn't slam it.
Speaker 2: You walked through it. Now. She immediately said what does it pay? Which I feel.
Speaker 3: I feel that's completely fair.
Speaker 2: Really an apprenticeship.
Speaker 3: Apprenticeship right now, like.
Speaker 2: Back when you know, yeah, but it doesn't. Apprenticeships don't last two months, I mean the last two years back in the day, like if you wanted to become a cobbler, you will.
Speaker 3: To me, I'm not becoming a cobbler.
Speaker 2: Went to the town cobbler and learned at his heel, No pun intended. Do you know why that would have been a pun? Because cobblers make shoes, uh for a few years, and then you become a cobbler yourself. Uh So yeah, my answer is diorra And I think Demands could spin this off into his own thing, maybe a competing podcast. Could you imagine if demonsas like I'm going out on my own and I'm releasing them on the same day at the same time as you, and try to splinter off our YouTube audience. I could see it happening. I could listen. I could see it happening. That's the other thing again. I know you're gonna say this is like gender normative or something, but like the father son dynamic, it can be. It's really good, but it also can get competitive at times. It can get a little Harry. You saw it right there when he was in there with the Celtics. He's very upset that I once again, once again, even when I took the underdog, I had the upper hand. So that's a good segment. We have questions to answer from you guys. Yeah, take a very quick break, answer your questions in the sea block. What's right?
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Episode one five. So now we're gonna answer listener questions. But first, okay, but first I wanted to comment on how we were talking and saying how surprising it was that you weren't a Taylor Shift fan. But I just wanted all the listeners to know how big of an Olivia Rodrigo fan, oh you are.
Speaker 2: She's awesome.
Speaker 3: It's it's insane.
Speaker 2: She's great. I think she's really a very talented artist. So I had never heard of her. She was already very popular. I give the full background here. And then I was scrolling Twitter one day, maybe eighteen months ago, I don't know, and someone tweeted just like, let's not forget what a brilliant debut video Olivia Rodrigo had, and what song was it. It's the one where she's dressed as a cheerleader. It was good for you, good for you, whatever video it was, And so I watched the video. Oh, and I couldn't believe how talented this kid was. She had to be seventeen at the time, right, he was like. And so I then asked Diora. I was like, do you know who Olivia Rodrigo is? And she said, yeah, of course I do. And you like her a lot? And what go ahead, I'm a fan. Well you at the time, okay, yeah, you at the time, you said yeah. I think at the time maybe you liked her more. Whatever it was. So then Dior and I started listening to that album and I thought it had like five awesome songs on it. I'm not ashamed of that.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not saying that you should be ashamed, but I feel like I feel like you being Olivia Rodrigo fan is like the equivalent of you being a Taylor Swift fan.
Speaker 2: Oh maybe Victor saying no, Victor likes Olivia Rodrigo as well. Good. I feel like I'm not saying.
Speaker 3: It's a bad thing. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I listen, I am always. Here's one of the things about being about being a parent. Whenever someone is like the how old is she got.
Speaker 3: She's gotta be. I'm guessing she's like twenty now, maybe maybe eighteen, so I'm looking, I mean, maybe nineteen.
Speaker 2: But so Olivia Rodrigo Wikipedia so she just turned twenty. So whenever someone is about the same age as your kids, there's like a different appreciation for you know what else, I like a lot gosh darn it white girl whose brother writes her song. At least Billie Eilish, I there's like a oh my god, like I it's not because like they've necessarily like, oh, look at what they've accomplished her Mike, but it's you know, all the regular stuff they're going through as teenagers, as young people, and during that time become this type of megastar I think is impressive. Yeah. I think Billie Eilish has some really good songs. I think Livia Rodrigo has some really good songs. And your mom makes fun of me because my all time she says, I shouldn't even say this public publicly, but my all time favorite song is I Want to Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston. It just makes me happy. I don't know, I just think it's delightful, delightful it is and so yeah, no, I have no. So that's the thing is if I liked Taylor Swift, I wouldn't run from it or be ashamed of it. No, no, but uh, but yeah, I think some of these I I it's interesting because my favorite music is hip hop music, and now is where I'm just sound like an old man. But the youngest, the newest hip hop artists, I like very few of them. I really only like like the most popular artists of the last three four years. I really only like the female ones.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: I don't like like Lil Yachti, the Uzi verse.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's not let's not go on Uzzi here.
Speaker 2: No, I listen the I think the last.
Speaker 3: Feel like nobody cannot like Uzzi exactly.
Speaker 2: So that's what I'm saying, And I don't, but I thought the I think the newest artist that I've really liked and at this point she's probably in super popular for four years, is Megan. But my favorite artists are Jay Z, Wayne, Kanye before he went crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah it's so yeah, and so Drake.
Speaker 2: Drake at this point, those been amazing.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying he's I feel like he's like still he's in the category with those.
Speaker 2: Although yeah, he's he's.
Speaker 3: He's not there yet, but he's he's pretty high up.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no no, and he's building an all time resume. But he's newer than jay Z and Wayne, around the same era as Kanye that. But the as far as new music, I think the new music that I like the most is like that poppy stuff by I'll tell you another person that I didn't know that I liked.
Speaker 3: Gosh darn it, this is whatever it is, it's gonna make me laugh at I don't even know what it is.
Speaker 2: Handsome British guy.
Speaker 3: Harry Style.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Really one of.
Speaker 2: His songs is just awesome. It does it just there are certain songs that you hear and you like, can't help but like either tap your Foot, which song of his most popular one.
Speaker 3: As it was, I'm guessing I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's big and sounds like a party, so yeah, so like I. As far as newer music, I like the poppier stuff and as far as like my favorite music, it's the it's the era of hip hop from when I was your age.
Speaker 3: I've been really liking twenty one Savage lately, so would you.
Speaker 2: But he's not that new. He's not newer than Meghan.
Speaker 3: He's yeah, he's he came around the same time or before Megan.
Speaker 2: Maybe I've already got a little bit. Cardi b is before Meghan by about a year or two. Yeah, no, no, no, but I'm just the last four years, like the whether it be Ice Spice or either of the babies or dub Baby, I don't love either one of them. I just don't. I just the a lot of the mumble rap. I'm not a big fan of. Okay, all right, let's let's answer some of these listener questions where we wrap up the show.
Speaker 3: Okay, so, no, Roger, you guys asked, what's a good wager between you and producer Dan for the finals? Maybe if the Nuggets win, you wear a Yoki jersey and if Miami wins, Dan wears a Jimmy or Lebron jersey.
Speaker 2: I got a better one. If the Nuggets win, Dan gets to keep his job, and if they don't, he doesn't. How about that one? Wow? Next?
Speaker 3: Oh right, then, okay.
Speaker 2: Chico forty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was getting there. Go ahead, Chico forty two. Oh wait, there's a follow up question.
Speaker 2: To oh Dan. Dan says it looks like I'm staying employed. Oh, he's very confident. Okay, look at Dan. Look at old producer Dan. He's grinning back there, grinning back there, looking great. All right. Next, Chico forty two. What he say?
Speaker 3: He said, if the Heat win, which is which is unlikely, we're just going to see We're just going to see teams further ignore the regular season.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, because the Heat are a unique case in that they made the finals a few years ago. Last year they were the one seed and made it to Game seven of the conference finals. It's not like they have regularly thrown away the regular season. I think if the Warriors had won because they were just openly talking about not caring about the regular season, you had Wiggins take two months off, that would have been different. The Heat just hadn't figured out their lineups, their young undrafted players hadn't improved enough. So I don't think it would be as damaging actually if the Heat win, because I think it'll be just thought of as this is a special thing about the Heat. All right. Next?
Speaker 3: Okay, jack Jack higg.
Speaker 2: Knight, Jackson Higknite, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: Jackson higg Knight says now that the Heat of secured a final spot. Should Yannis get a little bit more slack for getting beaten round one?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Now that the heat just keep beating people losing to name, doesn't.
Speaker 3: I remember that conversation about Giannis. He didn't. I feel as if he didn't deserve it then and he did doesn't deserve it. Yeah, he's too nice to get all that hate.
Speaker 2: You know, I somewhat agree with you. I don't even got a ton of hate, but you got some criticism. But yeah, I think the more the heat when the less bad that loss looks. I think that's right, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, Okay, Andrew Rockenhaws said, question for me, how does the rest of the family react in public when someone asks for your picture? For autographs? No one's ever asked you for an autograph. While I don't think people ask for them really, but pictures, that's usually just like a quick thing unless they're like, yeah, like Lebron sucks man like, but no one really.
Speaker 2: People are very ninety percent of people are nice when you meet them.
Speaker 3: And I always find it really funny when people just like, hey, are you that guy from ESPN? And then and then they're like, oh, yeah, I'm not a fan. Of yours. But ye, can I have a picture like It's just like.
Speaker 2: The Usually people are very nice sometimes and people are never intrusive. What does happen sometimes is all be walking with your with your Indiana and DOORA will say like those people were yeah, pointing at me or talking or whatever, and I don't even notice it, but you notice it and I just keep moving. But if ever by that not that there's well, if you're watching this, you're probably one of the select people. If you ever see me out, say hello.
Speaker 3: Yeah, guys that if you ever see me out, I'm willing to you know, sign autographs, take pictures.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: Anybody yet say they know you from the podcast? No?
Speaker 3: Uh, not one person.
Speaker 2: It happened.
Speaker 3: I had a teacher in the middle school at the school say something like, oh my god, I didn't know you went here.
Speaker 2: It happened to Demands a few months in. I think it will happen to you eventually. But Demands had done way more shows at that point than you had done at this point. Also, can we say the thing about the group chat or no? If you don't want to, we don't want to know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Uh, your potential college. What they said in the group chat.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So so diora University of California, Santa Cruz. There's I don't even know what platform it's on, but there's a group chat for people.
Speaker 3: That this one was on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Okay, an Instagram group chat for people that might be living in the same dorm as DIORA. Yeah, and what did one of them post in the group chat.
Speaker 3: I had posted on my story a picture like a selfie of us, and then in the group chat of three hundred people, the sky just goes, oh my god, you are nice to have you here. I didn't know your dad was Nick right, And I was just like, that's not me.
Speaker 2: Door straight. I what the guy said is you're on Nick Wright's podcast. Yeah, and Dior then just claimed that wasn't her, that she just posted the picture.
Speaker 3: I was like, sorry, that's not me, and he was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry. I don't know why I thought it was you. I'm so sorry. And I was like, no, I'm and he was like wait wait and I was like, yeah, it is me, it is me.
Speaker 2: All right, next question, Okay, I think it's William Turnbull.
Speaker 3: William Turnbull asked what player realistically helps the Lakers the most. He doesn't think Kyrie works for depth. Do you think Malcolm Brogdon is a real option?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I wouldn't go with Brogden because of the age and the injury concern. I agree about Kyrie. Uh, Listen, I don't think they can get him. But Jeremy Grant would be perfect. Uh. But again, I don't know that that's realistic, and I don't I'm not ready to answer that question yet, just because I haven't really studied what the Lakers cap situation is gonna be. If they match Austin Reeves and match Ruie and bring back Vanderbilt, they might not have a lot of flexibility. He might be a lot of the same guys the big questions about DiAngelo.
Speaker 3: All right, next, okay, Josiah Diaz said, with Butler.
Speaker 2: Now assume to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 3: Hall of Famer. Is it safe to say that he's the biggest All He's the biggest All seventy five snub In hindsight.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so at all. As it turns out, Jokic is probably a snub. Now that he won another MVP since then and now has made the finals. But the biggest snub was Dwight Howard. Dwight Howard had four top four MVP finishes, three Defensive Player of the Year awards, the best player on a finalist, and because the second half of his career didn't go the way people thought it should, people act like he wasn't utterly dominant for a half decade. So Dwight was the biggest snub, all right, last one?
Speaker 3: Joseph vanderwal asked Nick with the curse of Broussard alive and well, are you betting the farm against whoever Chris picks to win the finals.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a perfect segue for the TV show today because my guess is Chris is gonna once again picking into the Miami Heat. His Celtics have been eliminated, and I mean Chris is at a rough playoffs when it comes to picking teams. There's no way around it, and I'm sure he's gonna go with the Nuggets. He is not believed in the Heat and that makes my Heat thirteen to one ticket feel even better. We will see you guys on Thursday. Yeah, we will see you on TV at three o'clock today. What's right