Speaker 1: All right, that's it defeat. It is Friday, August eighth, and the Yankees were back in the Bronx to take on the Houston Astros in Game one of a three game series. Cam Schlitzler was on the mound biggest start of his career, Yankees, trying to make it two wins in a row. My recap, your reactions coming up next. This is penstripe territory, whim to cook a cold. I would say that I can't believe it, but I absolutely can believe it. Having watched Aaron Boone and Devin Williams for the entirety of their Yankees careers, which will both hopefully be ending after this season, I absolutely believe everything that happened in this game. I told you guys many many times that the toughest shows for me to do are the ones where not a lot happens when it's a pitcher's duel, right because there's not a whole lot to break down, And every once in a while I get worried when it looks like it's gonna be one of those nights and the game is taking a long time to unfold. And that was kind of the case tonight. First five innings of this game for a Yankees fan, total snooze fest innings six through nine. Pretty exciting Inning ten when we saw Devin Williams coming out of the bullpen, sheer befuddlement and terror because we knew what was gonna happen. We knew what was gonna happen, and ultimately this podcast that I was wondering what it was gonna be about, very clear what it is about. Now. Aaron Boone has got to go. And Devin Williams, he's the anti Christ. I mean, I don't know what to say. He's the worst. He's the absolute worst. This guy absolutely stinks. Are manager stinks? Holy shit? Where is the tielin all?
Speaker 2: Alright, let's go, let's get it going.
Speaker 1: So Jose Al Tuve continues to be an enormous pain in the ass too. You know, he had a big home run in the first inning off of Cam Schlitzler, kind of took the crowd out of the game immediately, and basically the Yankees did nothing after that until the sixth inning. They had one base runner in the first inning and didn't have another one until the sixth inning. Good night for Ben Rice. I thought Cam Schlitzler was solid enough for a rookie. In the fourth inning, Cody Bellinger made a play that people were gonna forget about. He made an unbelievable throw home to nail a runner prevented the Astros from scoring in the inning despite having three hits. But Yankees were able to come back. Judge with a big base knock, you had rice with a big bass knock. You had to play where Wells doubled down the right field line. McCann really should have scored, I thought, but was held up at third base for whatever reason. Every night it's something else on the bases. Runner ended up coming in anyway, So no harm, no foul there. But I thought both Delo Santos and Camillo Dovall threw the ball really, really well out of the bullpen tonight. I was gonna give Dovall possibly the belt. I was also considering Dealo Santos. Weaver worked a scoreless ninth inning, and at that point it starts to creep into the back of your mind. Right It's like you're getting deep into the horror movie and the monster's hiding somewhere in the bushes, and you just know he's gonna pop out at some point. At that point, you start thinking, can the Yankees finish this off before Devin Williams has to come into the game, right, Because I'm thinking at that point it can't be. I mean, they're not going to put him in before the thirteenth or fourteenth inning, right, I mean, there's no way that would put him in in that high of a leverage situation in the tenth isn't just I didn't didn't even occur to me. Didn't even occur to me that that could happen, that Boone would be that stubborn, that stubborn. But you knew when the Yankees go to extra innings they almost always lose. They stink in extra innings. But I see Devin Williams after the Apple commercial or whatever, I see him warming up, and I'm thinking, what the hell is this guy doing in there? I couldn't believe it. First pitch he hits the freaking backstop. Then he gives up a shot off the right field wall. Rosario slams into the wall trying to catch it. I thought for a second they were going to have to send John Carlos Stanton out the right field with his walker. The tennis balls on the bottom. Volpi knocked in a run. Oh wait wait, Williams served up the two run home run. After that, you give a base hit and then Yankees threatening the ninth or in the tenth. Sorry, Volpi knocked in a run. Paul Golsman, I thought had a really good at bat, Stanton had a pinch hit walk. But Grisham oh for his career against Josh Hater couldn't get it done. But I mean the fact that Devin Williams was even in that game completely baffles me. Completely baffles me. Yankees dropping another one. I mean, I can't even think straight. I got a bunch of super chats here that I want to read here. Chad Pritchett says Dexter would make better decisions than Boone, referring to my cat. I guess beast Mode says we need to win games. Let's put Williams out there. Obviously, speaking facetiously, Brian says watching this team makes his eyes bleed. Listening to Dantrell Willis makes his ears bleed. Mad Man says, my cousins at the stadium section two oh three. The entire stadium has been shouting few Boone since the tenth inning and it's still going on. Hilarious. Rowdy Retel says Yankees have five bad relievers, Williams is four of them. Samantha says, why the f was Williams even pitching in a high leverage situation? Again, we got a bunch of voicemails about that. Tonight's one of those nights where I gotta basically throw everything out and just go to the voicemails, because you guys completely are on the same page with me tonight, completely on the same page. D's Channel says bum of the Day three Way Bells or Sorry, Well's Devin and Bonehead Xavier Rosar says, what has boone seen in Williams this year? He's trying to protect his feelings. He's trying to get his confidence right, and it's not gonna work because he Devin Williams doesn't have an ounce of guts. He doesn't. I mean, I don't mean to like jump on the guy. I mean he's a professional athlete. He's more than I've ever done. But like you, compared to the other men in his profession, he's a you know, he's I don't even know, he's just he doesn't have the guts for the ninth inning. Brian Gonzalez says, this was a winnable game. Boone and Williams worked together to blow it. This was a fireble offense. Williams should be dfaded immediately. Lewis Tahata says, get Williams and Boone the hell out of the Bronx please. Francis Simiski says Boone has got to go tonight. Samanthe tisas Boone has two. Boone has to have one of the lowest baseball Boone has to have one of the lowest baseball IQs. Ever that one was was was tough for me. That one was tough. Wait, hang on, I've got a I've got a soundtrack for that. Where is it?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I can't find it? Do you speaking? Uh archie? She says Boone has to be on the take. There's no other explanation. We got some other calls about that. Uh btr says MLB should investigate Williams for gambling. They've already nabbed Emmanuel class A apparently. Uh p AMX says dfa Williams now and then finally, Brian Bashman says, can you find that clip of Larry David yelling he stinks that would be a good clip to use for this team. Wow, that is a lot of super chats. You guys definitely uh angry, And I don't blame you. I mean, this was this was horrendous. I wanted to touch on Cam Schlitzler's performance real quick and then I promise we'll get back to Devin Williams. So home run ball continues to get Cam Schlitzler. He came into this game with five home runs allowed in his first nineteen and change major league innings, got to him again tonight, the shot by Al Tuve. He did settle down a little bit after that. He pitched in and out of some trouble, got out of jams, got through the fourth and fifth without further damage, had base runners on. I thought he bent, but he didn't break. It was one of those, you know, one of those games where it was a grind. It could have gone much worse. But you know, ultimately he wasn't horrible, you know, I mean five innings, two runs, one walk, three strikeouts. He did allow seven hits. He scattered seven hits is what they would call that. His fastball was overwhelming when he needed it to be. One of these days we're gonna turn on the TV and we're gonna see that his breaking ball is dropping in for strikes, or he's getting swings and misses with the slider. He's not really there yet, right, it's just not a major league pitch yet. It's still kind of inconsistent. It'll probably be next spring training he shows up and where they're they're, oh my god, Devin or not Devin williamsay he won't be there. He'll be long long gone by. Then they'll say, Cam Schlitzler has you know, a great deuce this spring, Or he's getting tons of swings and this is on the change up or the splitter or whatever. They'll figure something out for him because he's got the arm right, it's just a matter of making it spin. Let's go ahead and take some more voicemail, just a reaction, just one about you know, Hey, Derek, first time caller. I love the show.
Speaker 4: This is John down in Tennessee beating Yankee fan since I got into baseball in about twenty eighteen, something like that.
Speaker 5: Man, this whole time, I've been kind of like, man, these guys awful heart on boone, awful heart.
Speaker 2: On this Devin Williams guy. You know, but man, it's taking until just.
Speaker 5: Now, and I'm just like, what what is he doing?
Speaker 3: What is he doing? Every time he got Goes in the game, blows the game?
Speaker 1: Why was every time Williams in the game?
Speaker 4: What is he?
Speaker 5: What is he thinking?
Speaker 2: Anyway?
Speaker 3: Man, I love the show.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the call, and you know, I couldn't I couldn't fathom. I couldn't even fathom that he was in the game for the tenth inning. I couldn't even believe it. David Bednar was apparently ready to go tonight. Where was Tim Hill? Where was Tim Hill? Like I said, I would rather have a position player pitch in a high leverage situation than Devin Williams, because you know, there's no chance he's getting it done. This guy is a back end reliever, right. He's got a five point seven to three e r A this year, five point seven three. You just cannot allow this to continue. It's not early anymore, it's August. These games matter so much. We can't be waiting for this guy to somehow have some kind of an emotional breakthrough. He sucks, sit his ass on the bench, or get him a cab and send him out of town.
Speaker 6: Well, Derek, Devin Williams has done it again. Listen, I don't know what the solution is here. Can he not be DF eight?
Speaker 5: What is? How do you fix this problem? Because he can't remain on the roster. The team is fighting to make a wild card and we can't experiment with this guy hoping that he gets it together while he blows game. They got to figure out something, have a good NA.
Speaker 1: The answer is exactly what you said, DFA him, release him. He cannot be pitching for the Yankees anymore. I would rather have almost anyone else. I would almost rather have a random fucking citizen come out and pitch than Devin Williams.
Speaker 7: Hey, Derek, Oh, let's Russell again. So I'm watching the game and we know Williams just gave up a home run and a base hit. To the point where do we blame Whims or do we blame Boom?
Speaker 1: I'm still a point I'm.
Speaker 7: Blaming Boom for being just freaking an idiot. How many times you're gonna keep going down the same rabbit hole. Ain't nothing going change. I know you got other relievers. I mean, we traded for a billion of them. So you're telling me you come and put another reliever out there. This is a high pressure situation. Why did you got.
Speaker 2: Him out there?
Speaker 7: I mean, you're gonna keep making the same mistakes over and.
Speaker 2: Over and over and over and over and over.
Speaker 7: Again, and you expecting a different results. That's insanity, that's madness. Boom needs to be fired asat agree.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, I think we've got some first time callers tonight. We've got some people who don't. We don't have call in very often, but we we've had some very good calls, some very clear takes. I have to admit I haven't listened to all of these because they came in right there at the end of the game. So I just grabbed my whole voicemail folder and dragged it in. So I'm pleasantly surprised with how good some of these calls are. Here's another one.
Speaker 4: Hey, Derek, you know last year during the World Series, we're sitting around saying, man, if it hadn't taken Boone so long to take homes out of the closer role, maybe we would have had home field advantage. Well, I've had a thinking feeling that this year come October for me watching all the other teams play and saying, man, they hadn't taken Boone so long to take Devin out of high pressure situations, maybe we would have been in the postseason.
Speaker 1: You're not wrong, You're not wrong. I'm getting that feeling as well. I really don't want to have to watch the whole postseason, right give me a couple of rounds at least, But right now, I mean, who was scared of the Yankees in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: Actually, I think we've got a call about that that we did get earlier on tonight.
Speaker 3: Hey, Derek, Danny, California. It's been a while, but watching the Houston game, it's two nothing astros. Like the third inning. I don't even know if we haven't hit yet. But the only thing I gotta see, even if we make the playoffs, no one fears the fucking Yankees. Man. Yeah, unless we just start lighting the world on fire overnight, but if that ain't gonna happen. But anyways, it's just frustrating because nobody has any fear at all about playing the New York Yankees anymore at all. Anyways, have a good one man later.
Speaker 1: Great great call man, great call. Here's change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hey, Derrek Chang, I CEO the beard Man, and that beard looks perfect out there on that Now. Who cares about three run home runs and two run home runs and losing the game. It just you know, people that talk about winning games don't really know baseball. They don't really know the most important thing is that your man fun is up and your beard is perfect.
Speaker 1: Great call, change, great call. It went on for a few more minutes, but that's that's the sum of it, all right. I haven't heard this one yet.
Speaker 4: We got Matt Hey, Derek mass from California.
Speaker 3: I'm so over this Yankees.
Speaker 1: Nope, not gonna fy f here.
Speaker 3: Hey, can anybody investigate if boone is placing bests on this to lose? Because this is insanity. This can be right?
Speaker 1: I appreciate the call. With that, I got to get to today's sponsor, DraftKings. I'll be back in sixty second. The doug days of Summer. Men, it's time for the boys of Summer to kick things into gear. And the best way to cash in on your baseball IQ is with Draftking Sportsbook. Never bet on baseball before. It is simple. Pick a guy to go yard hammer some live odds mid game, or just ride with your squad and hope for the best. No spreadsheets, just vibes and dingers. Here's something special for the first timers, new DraftKings customers. Bet five dollars and get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Download the DraftKings sportsbook app and use the code foul. That's code foul for new customers and get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours. Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York call eight seven seven eight hope and y or text hope n Y four six seven three six nine and Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino and Resort in Kansas twenty one plus. Age and eligibility varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus bets expire seven days after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming sources CEE, DKNNG, dot co, slash audio, all Right, so we got some news here. We have passed our own channel record for most live stream watchers at the same time most simultaneous viewers here on the YouTube channel, which we had set during the World Series, it was twenty three hundred and ninety six. I have the number written up on my whiteboard. We just he's got twenty four hundred and seventy two. So thank you to you guys, and a reminder to like and subscribe. I'm told that if I look into the camera and ask you passionately to like and subscribe, you might actually do it. So we got a couple of more chats here. So the Virginian commenting that Chain sounds like oh he says, Hulk lives, and Don d says, let me tell you something, brother, I love it. I love Chain's voice. He does sound like Hulk Hogan. And then Michael Pinto says, just woke up from a coma after twenty twenty four World Series? Did we stop the stupid moves yet? Unfortunately, Brother, got some bad news for you. PX or PMX two nineteen says Cashman needs to step in and release Williams to save Boone from himself. Otherwise he's gonna keep putting him in there to blow games. It's it's getting to the point where I just can't even watch when Devin Williams is in I pace around the room. I'm like, I'm like pulling movies off the shelf and like eating the back and looking at the cover art because I can't look at the screen. It's like it's like when you're watching a horror movie as a kid and you gotta cover your eyes because the monster's coming. Devin Williams is my personal Freddy Krueger. He gives me nightmares. This guy cannot be allowed to continue to pitch for the Yankees, and Aaron Boone may have just sealed his fate, may have just stealed his face. Now. I was listening to Michael Kay actually tear into Aaron Boone on his radio show where he was talking about, well, you know, we didn't put Mark Leer in, you know, the other day because he hadn't pitched in a while. But we went to you know, Nestor Cortes in the World Series and he hadn't pitched in a month. So it's like, it's like, what do you really believe? Right? I mean, do you really are you just making excuses. Are you just saying whatever is free will even real? Who knows? Whatever? Where's the tile? In all? Tough night for the Yankees this season, quickly going down the drain. I want to thank everybody who tuned in tonight, especially those of you who called in. We had some great calls tonight. We have a bunch that I didn't get to. I wish I could get to all of them. But you know a couple of positives. Dovall looked great tonight. Luke Weaver seemed to throw the ball well. Judge got a base hit on a pitch that was you know, up and in any kind of inside out of it for a single. I mean that was the guy who was itting four hundred for two months was doing that. So that was a good sign. But once again Yankees just struggle to put up runs against a good pitcher, completely shut down by Hunter Brown until the sixth inning, and the bullpen, despite a valiant effort, still included Devin Williams, and thus we end with a loss. If you made it this far, do us a favor. Hit the like button, hit the subscribe button, and join our community. You can also be a part of the show by calling in at seven point eight eight nine to nine, ten sixty eight. Also, part of the way that we maintained and fund all of this is through nyy Designs Dot Shop. Check it out now get all sorts of fun Yankees merch hats, hoodies, zip ups, beanies, mugs, you name it, we've got it. Check it out nyy Designs Dot Shop and check out Pinstripe Territory on all your favorite podcast platforms. We are the official Yankees podcast of the Foul Territory Network. We're here for postgame shows after every single game, and we're here before a lot of games to talk about the game preview, the lineup, the pitching matchups, and things like that. And we're here all off season to talk about the latest in Yankees rumors, news, etc. Join our community. We'll see you next time.