Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Robert Kaplan with US right now is affiliated with Golden SAX and of course his public service at the Dallas Fed. This is great. I thought Austin Goulesby's descent yesterday was really something with his technology bent his workout at MIT at Chicago. Now, I just, you know, my own individual opinion is gools be something really worth watching here. Mark Winn is out of Ireland Rochester has a shingle out at the Dallas Fed. And of course Mark Wynn, under your student guidance years ago, has a spectacular essay out on AI. In the summary of Mark Winn's work is we just don't know, do we. Well.
Speaker 2: I think we're in the early stages of AI adoption. Most of the talk about AI right now it's about the infrastructure build. But that's different than the downstream adoption. We're in the first or second. I think my own view and I think the view of my firm is when we talk five years from now, we'll see a half a percentage point gain in productivity growth for GDP and it will help business. But which use cases work and which don't. We're going to spend the next three years trying to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Net is it positive for the economy and how material because a lot of folks are hanging their hat on AI is really being a productivity enhancered to really impact the economy.
Speaker 2: If you got a half a percentage point jump in productivity growth, that's a huge deal. So we have sluggish workforce growth in the United States, we don't have much immigration at the moment. Bulk of our GDP growths got to come from productivity growth. So AI is very important to the world and to the US, And yeah, half a percentage point would be a big deal.
Speaker 3: Would you take away yesterday from the FED meeting here?
Speaker 2: Pretty straightforward? I think that I think in the room there was a lot more disagreement than it may have looked like, only a couple of descents. But we're at or near neutral. I think Jpell even said that it shows confirms that. I think the neutral rate nominal is about three and a half three and three quarters, and some of the folks say, with inflation at two and three quarters and the job market likely to firm in the next year, we shouldn't be at neutral. And I think overall they bought insurance in case, the labor market's weaker than they thought. But from here it will be a conventional FED, meaning something's got changed to move the rate, either unemployment needs to worsen or inflation needs to improve.
Speaker 1: Accross the nation. Robert Kaplan with us of Gulbyn Sachs's former services, the Dallas FED. So I said, we say good morning to Texas as well. So I look at yesterday's meeting and I look at all the what ifs that are out there, and the bottom line is a dual mandate. And I kept carrying them back and forth on the dual mandate. What's the history that you've studied of whether they focused on inflation or jobs? And don't tell me both, because it's really hard to do that well.
Speaker 2: For a lot of the last ten or fifteen years, the Fed had the luxury exact pre COVID of not having an inflation problem, so it could focus heavily on what was going on employment. And I thought employment was weakening. It could move post COVID, and I would argue with this boom in government spending we had in twenty twenty one, twenty two and twenty three, which probably caused supply chain dynamics to create an excess demand issue. They got to deal with both, and it's harder to deal with both, and so then they have to make trade off decisions and that's hard to do. And having said that, I think they've done a reasonable balancing job. But that's the reason for the division in the group. It's not that they prioritize one over the other. I think the fact is we've had three headwinds. One in the short run, tariffs are slowing growth, the immigration policy is slow growth. And the shutdown, as you would expect to slow growth, but the shutdown is reversing. And going into twenty six, we're gonna have tax incentives. We've got this AI boom continuing, and I think the economy is likely to firm and you saw that in the dot plot. And people are saying, you know, the labor weakness is going to affirm. Let's do nothing, and that's the reason for the debate.
Speaker 3: Interesting, when you talk to your corporate clients at Goldman Sachs, what is their view for twenty twenty six we're seeing I kind of look at M and A as a barometer of how confident the c suite is and the board is, and we're seeing a big M and a trade going crazy out there with Warner Brothers Discovery. When you talk to your corporate clients, are they confident about their ability in twenty twenty six to maybe grow?
Speaker 2: I think most companies believe as we do that twenty six you'll see firming GDP growth because of tax and centers and other reasons. However, I've never seen a period in my business career where there wasn't a bigger concern about the need for size and scale to afford the technology investment that's driving a lot of merger activity.
Speaker 1: We've covered this a number of times this week as well. So then, do we head towards a monopsisistic America? Do we have a capitalism that is essentially a big roll up to get to CAPEX scale?
Speaker 2: I think you're going to have lots of still small emerging businesses powered by AI that can grow and will be very attractive, and they'll get to a point where they kind of stabilize. You'll have lots of very big, huge scale companies that are dominant, and you're gonna have a lot in between. And I guess we'd say it in between has gotten a lot bigger and the last companies that used to think they were big and dominant and still aren't less dominant.
Speaker 1: I looked at Procter and Gamble carefully. He said, I don't want you to comment on individual security, But what does old industry do in there? In between this.
Speaker 2: Build size and scale and make more investment in efficiency, productivity, technology and so all that costs money and in the short run reduced as margins. And that's why you also see a lot of bell tightening right now right now to offset some of the margin impact.
Speaker 3: One of the newer developments capital markets. Why is there the last fifteen years have been private credit? What's your view there?
Speaker 2: I mean, we tend to view it as a continued private credit. I'd say has been has been a good addition. It's been a good addition to bank lending. The only comment I would make, on the other hand is investment crede credit spreads are very tight, but it's investment grade. I think the watch out is the lesson investment great side of private credit. We haven't had a credit cycle in many years. We're not going to have one. I don't think in twenty six we'll have one eventually, And so there's a lot of money flowing in to lesson investment, great private credit. Be careful about that.
Speaker 1: Robert Caplin, thank you so much, greatly greatly appreciated, of course, the former president of Dallas FED and with Goldman sachs Now and of course an affiliation with Harvard over the years