Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today here in you. I'm James Wilcock with Karen Hecker, and we are joined as ever by Bloomberg reporter Cloie Nelly Chloe. Let's start with Communications Group WPP. I had to take a double take when I saw some of the numbers there showing this morning, what is driving this surge in the stock market.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is really kind of probably seen as a bit of a sigh of relief for huge sire of relief actually from investors for WPP after the earnings that came out this morning. If we look at the broader context in which it reported, WPP has been really struggling for years.
Speaker 1: You know, it lost a lot of its clients to rivals.
Speaker 4: It has been underperforming publicists, which is its biggest competitor, for a while now.
Speaker 1: And so the new CEO who.
Speaker 4: Joined last year, Cindi Rows, had announced this big turnaround.
Speaker 1: You know, she's streamlined the business, She's cut a lot of the costs.
Speaker 4: She's changed the structure of the company itself to be kind of focused on four main units, and now it seems that it is actually paying off, and so we have first half profits coming in ahead of expectations, and so that was seen as really a huge, huge relief for investors in that gave that massive boost to the shares this morning. And we can see now that this kind of progress being made on a strategy.
Speaker 1: It's not completely out of the woods.
Speaker 4: Of course, there's still this weakness in the advertising market to contend with. You know, when we've got this sort of economic uncertainty, marketing budgets tend to be one of the first things to go. So it's not like the broader market is necessarily moving forward. But it seems that WPP is making progress internally and so we are seeing that really really drive the stock this morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, WPPS seen thousands of job losses and yeah, a real drive to kind of save costs and try to change the business. Let's talk about the Irish dairy producer Glanbia. Now I don't know this business, but it's about the protein craze about which I do know quite a lot. Or Lease is very evident, isn't it tell us about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 4: Glambia a dairy producer, but it's also mainly known now for its protein powder, so it's got a protein powder business and it is, as you said, really benefiting from this protein craze. So it raises guidance this morning quite strongly, and there's after doing particularly well in the performance nutrition unit which makes those protein powders.
Speaker 1: There's workout supplements.
Speaker 4: Of course, we've seen this kind of growing appetite for a protein recently, driven by both the sort of rising uptake of weight loss drugs, but then also a kind of general wellness trend, a general trend of wanting to live a healthier, more active lifestyle. That's been a really big boost to Glambia and to other companies like Applying Nutrition, which is another business list in London, and it's really forced also big food companies to sort of step up and innovate in that area. So now you know, every item in the supermarket seems to have the protein enhanced version. It seems in you know, dan and Nesle have been really at the forefront of this, developing all of these new products, and Glambia is one of those kind of lesser known companies that is still very much at the heart of that protein graze.
Speaker 1: Well, look at us, upbeat Europe. Everything's up.
Speaker 3: Now we turned to German manufacturer Semens.
Speaker 1: Why are they breaking that trend?
Speaker 4: Chlowy, Yeah, so Semens at first counts, it looks really positive for Semens.
Speaker 1: You know, raises guidance this morning.
Speaker 4: We had very strong demand from a data center customers. There's been a recovery and demand from industrial customers for things like factory automation software. But chas felt actually quite a lot this morning, and that's just because investors.
Speaker 1: Wanted a lot more from Semens.
Speaker 4: The outlook raise was seen as maybe quite small and less pronounced than some of its peers, like Schneider Electric, for example, which had a big boost guidance earlier in the earning season. But for Seemens, it seems that it just needed to show that it had benefited even more from this search in AI spending. And you know, once again with this data center AI related sector, companies are finding it very hard to reach those kind of sky high expectations set by the market and often not even an outlook race is enough.
Speaker 1: And so Siemens is dealing with that.
Speaker 2: Today the Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.