Speaker 1: Y'all just keep demanding it so we listen. All right, we give in easily.
Speaker 2: We got a special Awkward Thursday phone call for you today. It's brand Yes, welcome, so so much, welcome, so much, welcome, so much, I don't know you're here.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a second date podcast. Before we get to this new episode, what do we have in comments?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Eric's Vinyl said, Ever since I discovered y'all over a year ago, I can't get anything done in terms of testing records for my record store. I'm constantly torn between having to listen to these albums and listening to you guys so cool.
Speaker 1: We're cooler than a record. I like that. I was excited about it.
Speaker 5: We should make a Brook and Jeffrey record that.
Speaker 1: Brook and Jeffrey on vinyl. Oh yeah, yeah, I'm not opposed to it.
Speaker 4: I mean it's trendy again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe cassette tapes. We'll go to them to tapes.
Speaker 2: No, how about just go to our YouTube subscribe to at Brook and Jeffrey and your brand new Awkward Thursday episode starting right now.
Speaker 6: Just think of all the precious time and energy that you waste at the start of dating someone new. Oh yeah, the hours of over analyzing every text, the deep dives into their social media wondering do they like me?
Speaker 5: Do I like them?
Speaker 6: Is it weird to kiss them now? Or should I wait till after her parents leave? There's so much confusion and headache. But what if there was a way to skip all the awkward parts of early dating. Because one of our listeners says he found a revolutionary new way to handle a brand new love interest that jumps right to the good stuff, and he's about to pitch his strategy while we try to help make it happen. Okay, it's coming up in a brand new awkward Thursday phone call right after.
Speaker 5: This It's awkward, It's Thursday. It's awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 6: I know everybody seems to complain about the state of modern dating, that it's two competitive standards are unrealistic. Alexis's mom is getting all the matches, leaving nothing for anyone else, including her, so it's definitely bleak, and what's a person to do.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 6: We have a listener named Scott who's identified a person of interest for himself. Okay, but as a different idea on how the whole dating thing should work.
Speaker 5: In his mind didn't go into a.
Speaker 6: Lot of detail in his email about it, but I'm interested to talk to him and hopefully help him with it.
Speaker 5: So Scott, welcome to the show man.
Speaker 7: Hey, how you guys doing.
Speaker 1: I'm so curious this person of interest.
Speaker 2: Is it someone you know in life or is it someone you found online?
Speaker 7: Irl in real life? And yes, she's great.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, we'll get to the new way that you think dating should work in just a second, But let's start with the girl.
Speaker 5: Who is she tell us about her?
Speaker 7: Yeah, her name is Nicole, She's awesome. Met in a like a running club. Yeah, I go to this running club on Saturday mornings, and so I brought my dog and it was the first time that I ever noticed Nicole. But she came up to the dog. If Sally is her.
Speaker 1: Name, Sally's the dogs.
Speaker 7: The dog's name is Sally. Nicole is the actual human being and she doesn't have a dog, and so we kind of hit it off.
Speaker 2: It's weird that we're doing this in an awkward Thursday and not just doing a second date update.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, well, I mean I haven't had a date with her yet.
Speaker 1: That hasn't stopped other people.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, what's holding you back from going out on the date?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, I mean, first off, we haven't had any time to schedule anything yet. We're both really busy, okay, and so we talked over the phone like three to four times.
Speaker 8: Though, oh my.
Speaker 9: God, okay, how long do you talk for that's important?
Speaker 7: Like an hour or so?
Speaker 9: Wow?
Speaker 1: Panic right now, it couldn't be me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's really really great, Like we don't want to hang up and.
Speaker 1: Oh that's cute.
Speaker 5: That's a good sign.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like this is a good start to a relationship, and it would be natural for you to just ask her.
Speaker 1: Out at this point.
Speaker 7: I mean I have asked her out and she said yes, we just haven't had the time yet.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 7: Well, like I kind of want to do it a little differently though, I want to frame it in a way, and I don't know how to approach that.
Speaker 1: You want to do the date itself differently kind.
Speaker 7: Of, okay, Like we've talked on the phone three or four times. I saw in person and we.
Speaker 8: Like each other.
Speaker 7: So when I when I see her in person, I kind of want to picture something.
Speaker 6: Okay, on your date, And this is what ties into what you said in your email that you have a different idea for how the dating process should work exactly.
Speaker 7: I have a friend who's tried something before and he said it works great. He says, it's called a trial relationship mode.
Speaker 5: Trial relationship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So you like, you go on a date with somebody and you don't hear from them. That sucks, right, Or you go on a date with someone and you don't know if they're hooking up with someone else, that sucks too.
Speaker 5: Okay, that's how normal dating works.
Speaker 7: Right, right, But in a trial relationship mode, if you think that you have a good thing going, you can try it out for thirty days. I can try out the relationship for thirty days.
Speaker 9: Like just focusing on each other, going on other dates kind.
Speaker 7: Of thing, right, So, like I don't have to go on multiple dates with other people. No, I can just focus on Nicole.
Speaker 6: So you're trying to get her to subscribe for a thirty day period to just dating you.
Speaker 1: Alone exclusive membership, Yes, yes.
Speaker 5: And if she can re up the subscription.
Speaker 1: If she forgets about the subscription, and then there's.
Speaker 3: Her auto charging is just one of those things where you'll save money if you just commit to.
Speaker 9: The whole year.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Probably so that's what you're thinking.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, when you put it that way, it's kind of weird. I don't want to waste my time if I like her. I like her and I want to see if it works. We've had so many, so many hours the conversation here that it just feels like the natural step. But I don't know how to frame it properly.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's definitely unique. I haven't heard that before. But I'm curious to ask everyone in the room if this idea was pitched to you by someone you were interested in, you want to do a thirty day trial, SESSH would you be open to it?
Speaker 9: If I really liked him?
Speaker 4: That's a month, so you barely google them three days in a month anyways, Probably.
Speaker 6: With the H if you remember you've only met him once, you talk to him on the phone a couple of times and that's gone okay.
Speaker 4: Well, does she have to agree to hang out him like every day this month or it's just like they don't hang out four times.
Speaker 7: Look, there's no kind of set rules. If it meshes well in mesh as well, it.
Speaker 3: Does I feel like you should tie out for thirty days or you don't mess anything up.
Speaker 6: But I do feel like there should be a consequence if she breaks her contract to the thirty days, there should be a penalty.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes it weird. That makes it weird.
Speaker 2: Well, then he just wants to be a thirty day boyfriend, right, Yeah, that's what we're working.
Speaker 1: With right here.
Speaker 6: Okay, And how do you pitch that to Nicole so that she's open to the idea.
Speaker 9: That's what we're doing today.
Speaker 1: I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: You also don't want to make it sound so clinical, yeah, because.
Speaker 9: It doesn't sound like the flirty hard to get staged.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I think there's a difference between what you're talking about and simply commitment uncertainty.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't disagree with you.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that I feel like you want to make sure that she still knows she's going to get the fun part, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, agreed, agreed, Okay, put that in the contract when she signs.
Speaker 2: It, must have fun once a week.
Speaker 5: We'll lay up the guidelines for her.
Speaker 9: I've never heard of this before, Like, are you worried? Are you with me here?
Speaker 3: If she's like, oh no, I'm more committed to another guy or something.
Speaker 7: Already not at all, because then I'll get to know all this stuff early.
Speaker 9: Okay, mature, I don't know what that's like.
Speaker 5: Let's try it.
Speaker 6: We'll have some advice for you when we come back and get you your thirty day girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's really weird, sounds like a TLC show, but.
Speaker 6: It's perfect for your awkward Thursday phone call right after this.
Speaker 5: Hold on, it's awkward. It's Thursday. It's awkward Thursday phone call.
Speaker 6: We've been talking to Scott about his new idea for dating. It's very interesting, something we've never really heard of before, called trial relationship mode. Instead of taking it just one date at a time while also going out with multiple other people, engaging your interests with them, just cut out all the clutter and all the confusion and lock them into a thirty day trial relationship where you agree to focus solely on each other for one full month, and then if that goes well, just re up. Keep the subscription going though, because that's part of the trial is Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, sign up?
Speaker 9: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 6: So Scott wants to pitch this idea to a woman he met recently named Nicole. They haven't even been out on a first date. Yet they've just talked over the phone and had a pretty good connection. But it is kind of a big leap to go from zero dates to where instant boyfriend girlfriend for a month? So how do we get Nicole to be open to that?
Speaker 5: This should be easy? Well, what's your advice?
Speaker 2: I actually kind of like this idea because I think that there's just too many options out there for people right now, and it just lets you focus. It's a good idea, but it can come across, like we talked about a little clinical, So I think that my advice is just all about your delivery. You need to keep the romance alive and keep it sexy, right, you got a sexy voice, sexy, you got a sexy voice over there?
Speaker 5: Try will you be my girlfriend in a sexy voice? Go for it?
Speaker 9: Come on?
Speaker 8: I mean, like, do we want something.
Speaker 1: Like this that's not bad?
Speaker 7: We're like a little low, a little gravelly better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that works.
Speaker 6: Alexis turned on right extremely, So whatever you're doing, it's clearly working.
Speaker 8: I don't know they don't do that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, keep it in the lower volumes.
Speaker 5: But Jose, what's your advice?
Speaker 3: Well, this is like such a unique idea, So I think you need to highlight the positive of it, skipping the awkward stuff that would usually come up when you start dating someone.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Now we're jumping straight into like being like cozy and comfortable with each other, then awkward and weird around each other.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure if you say it, it becomes reality.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's called manifesting.
Speaker 9: Is manifesting? Jeff?
Speaker 5: What do you think about that?
Speaker 7: Stop you? Yeah? High like the positives.
Speaker 8: That makes sense to me.
Speaker 1: In a sexy voice?
Speaker 7: Yes right, I mean in a in a sexy voice.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 9: We don't got to go on any day's girl.
Speaker 5: All right, he's locked into his voice right now. I don't want to get him off his game.
Speaker 6: So let's die on the call and we will step away and let you make your awkward Thursday phone call and then leave here in a relationship for the next thirty days.
Speaker 9: All wait, if we're on the phone, we don't need.
Speaker 1: Your sexy voice.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 5: I'm kind of having fun with it and I want to play along. But okay, at the energy, I'm step away, Scott. Good luck you got this man? Here we go.
Speaker 7: Hello, Hey, Nicole, how you doing.
Speaker 10: Scott?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Hi, Sorry, I'm calling from work, so it's a different number.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, how you how you do it?
Speaker 10: I'm good. How's your take going?
Speaker 8: Pretty good?
Speaker 7: You know, I did want to like run something by you.
Speaker 10: Okay, what is it?
Speaker 7: Okay? Okay, here it is?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 11: So, like, don't you like hate it when like people start to date and it's super awkward in the beginning. It doesn't isn't terrible?
Speaker 10: I mean, yeah, it's definitely not the fun part.
Speaker 7: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 8: And so like I don't want it to suck.
Speaker 7: I don't I want it to be good.
Speaker 11: We've already had some great conversations, like we I think we click pretty well.
Speaker 8: I mean, you're not the answer that that's okay anyway.
Speaker 7: So I was, I was, I was talking to a buddy and he suggested.
Speaker 8: Something and I wanted to run it by you.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 7: So it's called a trial relationship mode, So it's basically instant exclusivity.
Speaker 10: Hold on, hold on, Like I haven't even been on a date with you yet.
Speaker 11: I know, but like we've talked for like hours on the phone and we've.
Speaker 7: Like hung out.
Speaker 8: I don't know, I thought it might be good to try this out.
Speaker 10: So you're asking me to skip all the awkward tough and just jump into a relationship with you.
Speaker 8: I don't know, doesn't that doesn't that sound awesome to you?
Speaker 10: I mean it's definitely different. I've never heard of it before. But yeah, the awkward stuff, I mean, it's it always sucks, So it wouldn't be bad to skip over that.
Speaker 7: Oh okay, Oh wow, you sound like you're interest.
Speaker 10: I mean, like, oh, that sounds really good. But hypothetically, what if I was in multiple situationships? Would I have to stop the.
Speaker 7: Multiple situationship?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well we'll get to that, Scott. We just first need to tell Nicole high.
Speaker 10: Morning.
Speaker 5: You're on the radio right now.
Speaker 3: Hi, Okay, situationships, we're all here.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know when you think of us as like the big romantic gesture part you wanted a.
Speaker 9: Surprise, don't like that?
Speaker 1: So also don't think, yeah, we're.
Speaker 6: Skipping the awkwardness of dating with this segment called the Awkward Thursday Phone.
Speaker 7: This is even more awkward than I expected.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, we're getting all the awkwardness out of the way so that we could just jump right to the good part that thirty day trial relationship.
Speaker 7: I mean, okay, so like back to your situationship stuff like what do you what do you mean? Like? How many? I'm curious, what do you do?
Speaker 1: You need to know that?
Speaker 5: That's how many situationships does she have to break off to make this happen.
Speaker 10: I'm not gonna answer that, but it's probably more than you're thinking in your head.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, wonder you haven't had time to damn him?
Speaker 11: Oh yes, so this isn't hypothetical, this is like actual truth. You have a couple of situationships, at least a couple.
Speaker 10: Why didn't you were gonna call me and ask to be exclusive before first date?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's totally fair. That's totally fair.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that just shows how strong he feels. The connection is right off the bat between you two, Nicole, And I'm sure if you reflect on all those other situationships, none of them have as sexy of a voice as Scott did.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, he does.
Speaker 10: That's a very sexy voice, yeah, said yea.
Speaker 9: The first two words were pretty good though.
Speaker 2: So if you were going away all these situationships out, would Scott be top of the list.
Speaker 10: I don't know. I've only met him in a dog one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, she knows these other guys way more than she knows him.
Speaker 7: No, I know, but have you had, like, have you had hours of conversation over the phone with these other people's person I don't know if the answer to this.
Speaker 10: I mean, I left one guy at my house this morning. He's still there.
Speaker 1: I mean she really trusts him.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yep, that's that's great. So maybe the trial relationship thing isn't for you for now. Maybe you got to like tighten some screws up and nip some things in the bud.
Speaker 1: First trial, free trial trial.
Speaker 7: Look, you know what, I'd even say, let's go on the first date, see how it works, and then if you're interested.
Speaker 2: No, now he's like coming back on his like original thirty day.
Speaker 5: How about we just date like normal.
Speaker 7: I just want to I just want to meet you in person and have like a proper date.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I have a new idea. Let's just have one meet up.
Speaker 1: Stick to your idea. Okay.
Speaker 2: Just because she has some situationships, I mean, here's the thing, Nicole, Obviously that's not working great for you because you haven't committed to one of them, so they're not all that wonderful, right, And this gives you thirty days to like, I don't know, do a cleanse.
Speaker 1: Think of it that way.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like if you try to what you're allergic to and you have to remove all the foods and tell you Adam back.
Speaker 6: In wait to make it sound sexy.
Speaker 10: Now, Just so funny that all mill are so interested in my dating life. Like, I did not expect this today.
Speaker 6: We know it's not something that's traditional that we've ever heard of before. It's brand new to us to a trial relationship thirty day period, but we thought it was interesting enough to bring it to your attention.
Speaker 1: We want you to do it so in thirty days we can get an update.
Speaker 5: Yeah, think about us.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that means I have to ditch all these other guys I put time into that.
Speaker 9: Well, you're honest, she's not cheating her trial.
Speaker 1: I mean it's just thirty days without him.
Speaker 5: You can always go back if the trial run doesn't go well.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think I'm going to pass.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is why we're not in the sales department.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's just too much fine print.
Speaker 1: Yeah you think so.
Speaker 3: Well, she can keep up with five guys have a good time, or stick to one.
Speaker 5: And just in case one sexy one. Oh yeah, with a hot Voice.
Speaker 8: It didn't turn out anywhere I expected.
Speaker 9: Same here. We were all confident.
Speaker 1: We let her think too much about it. That was the problem, you know, No.
Speaker 9: No, she's right, bros.
Speaker 2: As soon as you say I'll get back to you on it, then you know you're never going to get the deal done.
Speaker 6: And something you don't know, Nicole, is Scott ditched all of his situation ships just to make this phone call.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I had no situation.
Speaker 12: To help you, Brook and Jeffrey In the morning textan to seventy five ninety two, someone said I've heard of this, and I tried it myself actually and it worked.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: I had an incredible, drama free relationship with a guy for an entire month until his visa expired and had to go back to his wife and kids in Portugal.
Speaker 5: Goodness, Okay, but for that month.
Speaker 9: It was bliss.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I met the wife. Actually enjoyed that month too, from the sounds of that guy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But just because it didn't work this time for Scott, it doesn't mean a trial relationship wouldn't work for anybody ever.
Speaker 1: I just really want the update thirty days later. Yeah, I'm like disappointed that we're not going to get it from these two. Do you want someone else to do it?
Speaker 7: Sure? Yeah?
Speaker 1: First date first maybe, and then do it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no dates, you're just talking about normal dating.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I like that we tried something new, something unique that we've never attempted before. Even if it failed spectacularly.
Speaker 1: Yah, as new things often do.
Speaker 5: It's kind of what we do.
Speaker 6: If you want us to fail spectacularly in your life, make sure you email the show and we'll handle any awkward scenario you might find yourself in. Go check out all of our awkward podcast segments. They're up online wherever you get yours at Brooke and Jeffrey