Speaker 1: Hey, we're glad you got the podcast. We got a brand new episode today. It's Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, and today is Awkward Tuesday. Yea on your Second Date Update podcast. And I just can't wait to see the comment section fill up with Bridezilla stories.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's gonna be so many. This woman was unhinged. You're in for a treat. It's starting right now.
Speaker 3: It's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I heard someone say being a bridesmaid is basically like being in a very expensive cult. What matching outfits one really strict leader, lots of emotional chanting, and you have to financially ruin yourself to prove your loyalty.
Speaker 2: That's a good play.
Speaker 3: I've personally never been one, but Alexis is that description relatively.
Speaker 2: In many cults? Yeah? Yeah, how much red kool aid? Did you drink too much?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was mixed with vodka.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now I'm probably missing a lot of the tears and the choreographed dances that come with it too, But you do get the general idea, because yes, it is an honor, but it can also be a challenge.
Speaker 2: It really depends on where the bride is.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 1: I mean honestly, because you can all of a sudden, now you're signed up all bachelotte party in another state or country.
Speaker 5: You don't know.
Speaker 3: It's different for every single person, and that's why our listener Shannon says she needs our help today with a bridesmaid situation. Shannon, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi guys, are you Are you the bridesmaid? Shannon?
Speaker 6: I am one of the bridesmaids? Yeah, okay, okay, yeah, you know, I risked. I thought it was an honor, but now it's getting a little weird and a little stressful.
Speaker 2: Can we ask before we get into it? How you know the bride?
Speaker 6: So we've been friends for like ever, like since kindergarten. Oh.
Speaker 1: That's always one of those where you're like, are you still really that close or is it just you know, sometimes it can go either way.
Speaker 6: It's one of those we don't have to talk every day, we don't live in the same state anymore, but okay, we get together. It's like your time has passed.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool. So what's going on with the bride?
Speaker 6: So here's the thing. She recently got engaged to her boyfriend and she asked me to be a bridesmaid. Of course they said yes. So then a few days later I get this email and it has an attachment and it's a bridemaid contract contract.
Speaker 1: WHOA, that's business like or just like you're going to actually follow through and pay for this stuff.
Speaker 6: So it outlines all her expectations of being part of the wedding.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, you know it probably came from somebody told her, like some advice somewhere, was like, lay out what your expectations are and then you won't have any drama.
Speaker 7: I've been sent a PowerPoint before, have you. Yeah, she's a teacher, so it's her thing on like nails and outfits and like what we expected.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when I heard that, I thought it was a joke, but that that's something that actually maybe a contract is.
Speaker 2: A little different than a powerful it. What did it say?
Speaker 6: So I actually have it in front of me. I'm going to read you some of these.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: One is attendance mandatory for all pre wedding events including dress fitting, bachelor party, bridal shower, and spontaneous gathering.
Speaker 2: Let's spontaneous. I mean that can't. That can't be you. You live in another state. There's no way you can.
Speaker 6: Make spontaneous like I can't be spontaneous. I'm I supposed to do that well by a.
Speaker 8: Flight last second.
Speaker 3: If you actually cared about her, then you would take it.
Speaker 2: I even think the dress fitting is ridiculous.
Speaker 6: Oh this is a good one too. Weight management must fit into dress, as is. No diet accordingly, no ya, no, yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: But that one I can kind of understand, because you want to look good in the photos right out of here, no one, no one, no one wants to photos.
Speaker 2: There's no way in before a wedding.
Speaker 3: Okay, Like I didn't get in your way in. I just must fit in your dress.
Speaker 6: No diet, diet of accordingly?
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 8: Maybe that they'd crossed triggered me, Jeff, obviously, I'm afraid to even continue to ask if there's anything else, guys, Oh god, okay.
Speaker 6: Groom proximity, no flirting, joking or standing too close to the groom, no exception.
Speaker 3: Okay, you know what, now I have to draw the line.
Speaker 2: That's a weird thing that you would even have to say your best.
Speaker 3: Friends has he cheated or something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, is there history. I'm with Jose on that one.
Speaker 6: No, No, not not as far as I know. I know she has one of her bridesmaids is a little bit of let's say, maybe a trollop.
Speaker 3: So maybe that rule was specifically designed for that particular brides maybe.
Speaker 6: But here's the one that really irks me too. Financial commitment. You're expected to contribute a minimum of two thousand dollars towards the entire events, travels and gifts.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: And at the bottom it says to sign it and return within twenty four hours or else penalties would occur.
Speaker 1: This is got She's like, ha ha ha, No, I'm literally on a group chat with all the girls.
Speaker 6: They think she is out of her mind. So I'm reaching out to you guys because they're all like pushing me because I've known her the longest to have the conversation with her.
Speaker 1: A bridesmaid union, You're going to rise up and fight against the man.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: The situation sounds pretty serious, which is great that we're putting it in an awkward Tuesday where Jose can contribute his knowledge and advice on brides I am so scared to talk.
Speaker 8: That's so funny.
Speaker 9: Okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think here's the thing.
Speaker 1: This is a really important conversation because the bride is a little out of her mind. She's alienating all of her closest people, and someone needs to tell her that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that someone should be brooked because she feels the strongest about it. By the way, Shannon, what is the bride's name? Oh yeah, para Terah the first part of terrible. That's not good. I'm not gonna say.
Speaker 5: Name.
Speaker 3: So let's circle the wagons here, team that we're gonna come up with some top notch advice to give Shannon before she calls the bride to confront her about the bridesmaid contract, Say, you've gone too far.
Speaker 5: Girl.
Speaker 3: We're gonna do it with your awkward Tuesday phone call right after this. Hold on, it's awkward.
Speaker 2: It's Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's awkward Tuesday phone call. We just heard from a bridesmaid. Her name is Shannon, who told us about her friend's extremely reasonable bridesmaid contract that she sent out to the whole bridal party. Some of the clauses in there include minimum dollar amounts required in order to participate, weight restriction rules, and limits on groom proximity. Now again, I've never been a bridesmaid before, but if I was, I would think that'd be pretty normal stuff.
Speaker 5: I can.
Speaker 3: Brooks tends to disagree. She has a little bit more experience with this stuff than me. For the bottom line is, Shannon has been nominated by the entire group to call the bride and talk her down from some of the expectations laid out in the contract. That's why she needs a little bit of advice before she does it. Brooke, We're gonna start with you. What advice do you have for Shannon?
Speaker 1: Okay, First, Shannon, the most important thing is you need to come to her as her friend. Okay, Yeah, this call is because you've got her back and she hasn't thought all of this through yet. Like, of course, all the bridesmaids are gonna sign it. But what if this document, this contract got leaked on social media, this bride may become.
Speaker 2: Literally the most hated person on the internet.
Speaker 1: And not only is that not deserved, but like it's also like such a distraction from her big day.
Speaker 2: You know, she has this little window right now.
Speaker 3: I see. The advice is to threaten to leak it onto the internet. Embarrassed.
Speaker 1: The advice is to tell her you have this little window right now, to just tell everybody it's a joke.
Speaker 3: Okay, wait a minute, she has a chance to back out. What do you think about that, Shannon, She's not.
Speaker 6: One to back down. But I do think that if people found out, I would hope that she would maybe see that.
Speaker 1: You got to set it up that way before you ask her to tell it.
Speaker 3: Is blowing up right now. So a lot of people have opinions. Okay, so there's one piece of advice for you now. Jose has already said that he is too scared to give any opinion or the other.
Speaker 8: I don't want to be in the room because I feel like a lot of drama's about to.
Speaker 3: Happen and it's gonna yell that's fair. So instead we're gonna go to Alexis, the bride'smaide experts makes sense.
Speaker 7: I'm away were asking me because I probably would have already signed it and just into backs I'm too scared. Yeah, but if you are brave enough to confront the bride, then be like you are going to be a great bride. I love your plans, and then go into like, but you're a little psycho.
Speaker 8: But that's what I love about you, you know, But that's what I love about it.
Speaker 2: You have a bout.
Speaker 1: You never had a confrontation with any one of your friends.
Speaker 3: I just do back down like that already. Come on. Actually, so it sounds like, say some sweet things, compliment her a little bit before you bring the criticism.
Speaker 6: Like some compliment sandwiches.
Speaker 2: Nobody ever sees through that.
Speaker 3: Although the compliment sandwiches might be a problem with the weight restrictions on the sandwich, Jennery ordered cucumber sandwiches.
Speaker 9: Either way.
Speaker 3: Now, we're going to call the bride tear here and we will step back and let you make your call. Oh, just keep the advice in mind and know that we have your back to We're going to jump in if you feel like you need a little help.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm really nervous. My hands are sweating, But thank you for your.
Speaker 3: F Remember this is your friend, so you have the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 10: We go, Hello, Hey, who's the.
Speaker 6: Girl, Shannon? Do you get a new number or something?
Speaker 9: What where are you calling from?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I had to use my phone being funny.
Speaker 5: So it's interesting because Melanie texted me earlier and she said that you're gonna call because there's something about the wedding, And honestly, I'm starting to feel some type of way because none of you guys have signed the contract and it's the deadlines ten night at midnight, so what's.
Speaker 6: Going Okay, I didn't know if she'd do that. Of course she would. Maybe we just dive in. First of all, very excited for the big day.
Speaker 5: We all are, Yeah, you should be, It's gonna be amazing.
Speaker 9: I got yeah. So you sound kind of fullish right now, Well, what's no.
Speaker 6: Listen, I love your enthusiasm for your big day, and I just kind of wanted to maybe have a little conversation about said contract.
Speaker 9: She gets to the point, Okay, you know, I mean the most loving and constructive way possible, but it was girl, on, don't I don't have time to this with us?
Speaker 6: Okay? Well, like number one the weight management saying, Amber's trying to get pregnant, and you've got this girl terrified if she's to get pregnant because she's like, I can't gain any weight and that's the problem.
Speaker 9: She's not having cleanses.
Speaker 10: She at least no.
Speaker 6: Listen, you your dress is kind of form fitting she's never gonna hide. If she by the time your wedding comes, she would be pretty pregnant.
Speaker 9: I'm not really liking your phone girl. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 4: I went to Shana's wedding in a high pink bridesmaid dressed put together with duct tape. So the least yup just can do for me is show up sober.
Speaker 6: And you know how like things hit the internet, like what if one of these girls talk about it or post about it? And then if you're gonna look like this crazy bridezilla. First of all, I can't believe that you would.
Speaker 10: What are you going to do to me?
Speaker 9: I would? I held your hair back in Vegas.
Speaker 6: Okay, first of all, we weren't going to talk about that. We made a pack about it.
Speaker 4: Well, we're not gonna leak anything online.
Speaker 6: Either, Parah. I adore you, I love you, can you. I'm coming from a place of love and friendship. Take a breath. The groom part, like the no flirting or talking or I mean can't even look his direction, Like that's that's a little bizarre.
Speaker 9: Listed Listen, listen, listen, listen.
Speaker 5: You and I both know who who has Polish.
Speaker 6: Tendencies and we do not and I both know that is.
Speaker 9: Not directed at you. I'm not gonna listen. There is no compromising on that.
Speaker 6: Okay, well that one. That one's fine. Leave that one.
Speaker 9: But like the minimum two thousand dollars in the travel and.
Speaker 6: The no missing event, Like I don't live in the same state, so that might be a problem.
Speaker 9: It might be a problem, but it's not my problem. But good listen.
Speaker 6: I deserve a perfect day, and by god, I'm gonna have it.
Speaker 10: What is going on?
Speaker 2: He told you that was way too castul.
Speaker 3: Shannon, Yeah, Shannon's there, and so is there a radio show called Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. You're on the radio right now, Tara, Good.
Speaker 6: Morning, Tara.
Speaker 8: All right, Okay, it's okay, everything's okay.
Speaker 1: She was just scared on how to bring this up, so she needed some help and that's where we came in.
Speaker 2: Just it was all out of like she said, love and friendship. That's where we're coming from.
Speaker 9: Answer my question, who is this?
Speaker 8: That's a good question, Brook is.
Speaker 6: Today?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, hold on, this is a station in my town, not yours. You there's no connection. Ohs it so much better?
Speaker 3: All she's asking Tara is if maybe you would consider relooking over your contract with the girls, because it's kind of intense for some of them.
Speaker 6: All of us want to be in your wedding. We're all gonna just sign the contract. But I just I feel that if this is kind of how things are going to go, we'll just go to Tona a smidget And you know, I don't do well with con occasion, and I'm very sweaty, palm my armpitllart very sweaty.
Speaker 9: I gets true.
Speaker 5: I'm way you are bright right right, I'm like, I know you know, and.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm sweating. I'm sweating in all my crevices.
Speaker 3: And that's good for the weight loss part of the contract that she set out, So she's trying. What do you think, though, Tarah, do you think that maybe you would consider I know, I know it's a lot to ask, but it would mean a lot to Shannon and to all the bridesmaids if you'd sit down with them and just go over the rules and maybe make a couple amendments so it works better for everybody.
Speaker 9: We'll talk about it, Okay, we can talk about it.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna tell you right now though the room.
Speaker 1: Is staying okay, yet have a really questionable bed.
Speaker 9: You know, we love her, She's just a little hollish.
Speaker 2: Okay, you have her for the plot.
Speaker 3: I get it. Yeah, yeah, we all got one.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have anyone that will take my man.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're looking at that. That's not what I meant.
Speaker 2: But Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning,