Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The Rams stay alive. They beat the Niners twelve six in a thriller. The Rams are now eight and six. The Niners you can say goodbye to them. They're six and eight. If I would have said to you in August, hey, the Niners aren't going to make the playoffs. And oh, by the way, Bill Belichick's going to be coaching North Carolina football, which one would have been more far fetched. Yes, Marvin, No, No, the Niners aren't going to make the playoffs. B Yes, pretty incredible. It feels like every year we do this where I say, hey, if I would have told you this four months ago, five months ago, what would you have said. You would have said, Bill Belichick's not going to coach in college, and if he is, it's not going to be North Carolina and the Niners. They seem like the safest bet in the NFC coming off the Super Bowl. Now we knew that the Hackers were still going to be formidable, the Eagles, the Lions as well, but the Niners, well, it started out bad. You start out with Krista McCaffrey not able to play, and they never got in sync and then you're watching last night. Now, granted it was in a downpour, but these are two teams that you expect to score and twelve six the final. You start to look at this with the NFC West, Rams are dangerous. We've been saying it the last couple of weeks. With that offense, they are dangerous. And also I was looking at the Eagles and the Lions defensive numbers and in particular their secondaries. Their secondaries aren't great. Now Philadelphia's got a young secondary. The Lions give up a lot of yards passing yards. And here's a Rams team that for the most part can put up big numbers. But now they have new life at eight and six. You have Stafford who can still sling the ball. Kyron Williams has over a thing yards this season. You got Cooper Cup, Puka Nakua, you got Sean McVay. This is the kindest team that can knock one of these guys out, can knock Detroit out, can knock Philadelphia out Green Bay just because of the offense here. Now it might come down to just how good is their defense, But offensively you expect them to put up points. Certainly when you get into the postseason, and you look at the Niners, and this is how the window closes. It's closing, it might be closed, and now you got to pay rock Perty. This kind of reminds me, without the Super Bowl Trophy, of what happened with Seattle. Seattle kept everybody together, kept that defense together, you know, because Russ was on a rookie contract. Well then you have to pay Russ. Then you got to get rid of players, and then all of a sudden, the artist formerly known as the Legion of Boom was done. Just like that, you have that with San Francisco. They paid top dollar for Christian McCaffrey, Brandon Nayuk, Deebo, Samuel Trent Williams, Bosa Warner, and now all of a sudden, you've got a quarterback who is I guess rightfully so going to be asking for at least fifty million dollars a year. The window closes, you know, unless you do sort of come on in and play with Patrick Mahomes like Kansas City has done. They've done a lot of mixing and matching and done an unbelievable jump. But there are very few organizations that are that good to go come on in, maybe you're only here for a year, got a chance to play in the playoffs, maybe a Super Bowl with San Francisco. Is Christian McCaffrey ever going to be the artist formerly known as Christian McCaffrey. What about Deebo? He gets banged up? Trent Williams? How much time does he have left on that Hall of Fame body? So you do have these big question marks here, and I think the window closed. I think their chance of making the playoffs is like, I don't know, zero point one percent something like that. Do we have the official yes, PAULI.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Last night, if they won the game, it was eleven percent. When they lost the game, is down to point three percent.
Speaker 2: Point three percent. I'm saying there's a chance, there is a chance. It's not no chance, it's low chance. All right? Are we playing no chance? Chance right now?
Speaker 1: Right out of the gate? No chance?
Speaker 3: Low chance?
Speaker 2: Okay? Does anybody hold out hope that the Niners can somehow get into the postseason, even Niners apologist Marvin anything's possible except this.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're getting it. I think it's over.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm looking at the schedule. The Rams will be at the Jets, Cardinals, will be at the Rams, Seahawks at the Rams to close the season. So I like their chance. But you're also looking at the NFC playoff picture. You got Lions, Eagles, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Vikings, Packers, Commanders. You know that you're going to have two teams in the NFC North who are one of those is taken the wild card. Maybe they're the two wild cards you're going to have out of the NFC North. You know, if the Vikings finished second, they're going to make the playoffs. Packers are nine and four, Seahawks if they win the division, they're eight and five Buccaneers right now in the NFC South, Yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 3: The Niners are six and eight. They would need the Commanders, Rams, Falcons and Cardinals to lose out to have a chance at the tiebreaker.
Speaker 2: The Seahawks at eight and five. They host the Packers Sunday night, they host the Vikings at the Bears at the Rams, so the Rams once again at the Jets host the Cardinals host the Seahawks, likely to decide the division. But the Rams, if they're in, it feels like they're going to knock somebody down. Just feels that way all right, Seeton. Let's poll question first hour.
Speaker 3: Let's see first hour.
Speaker 4: If you are Brock Party, you want every dime you can get or cap space.
Speaker 2: I might have to have. If you're Brock Party's agent, do you want to have all the money you can get or do you want to take a team friendly deal?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think the agent wants to take anything team friendly, but the quarterback who's on the field might want to.
Speaker 2: But your job as an agent is to put your client in the best position. He knows that his client needs talent around him to bring out his talent. He's not a guy who is going to lead the team. He's not a you know, standalone guy. Uh, you know. He just doesn't have the abilities to be able to do that. But it's kind of hard to say, Hey, Rock, what about what about forty five million a year? How about maybe forty five we get to fifty. Well, what does Brock have currently in the bank? Probably not much relatively speaking. Yeah, not much to be in a starting quarterback for an NFC Super Bowl contending team. Oh oh my gosh, let's go salbery.
Speaker 3: Salary.
Speaker 5: Salary, salary, salary, salary.
Speaker 2: Come on, Mormon, set up.
Speaker 3: Salary he excuse to play it.
Speaker 2: The way that it like whips back in. He goes like, all right, rock Party, how much money has he made so far?
Speaker 3: You're gonna go first in?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're switching it out.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, three seasons in Rock Party, including this season. How much has he earned on the field?
Speaker 2: Four million dollars, Marvin.
Speaker 3: Five point five million dollars. Seaton two million dollars, it's all.
Speaker 2: Five point one million dollars.
Speaker 3: Seat is the closest two point eight million dollars. Yikes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be a big increase if you went from what is he making this year?
Speaker 3: Nine and eighty five thousand dollars?
Speaker 2: Okay, so nine hundred eighty five thousand. Let's say he gets to forty five million.
Speaker 3: That equals about a little less than three million per game.
Speaker 2: No, but what is the percentage increase?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you might be asking the wrong guy.
Speaker 2: Well, I definitely don't know it. I don't know, Todd. Were you good at math?
Speaker 6: I was good at maths? I would but underline it was I used to be very good at math. I have to see if they can crunch some numbers.
Speaker 2: How do you not get or stay good at math when you're doing it all the time.
Speaker 6: You have homework assignments, and you're studying for tests, and then you stay good with it, and then then it all goes away once you don't have to worry about that anymore.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I have forty five million dollars a year, is what you're saying. Yeah, yeah, that would put him right now according to this, somewhere around Patrick Mahomes, kirk cousin, Josh Allen, Matthew Stafford is at forty, Derek Carr is at thirty seven point five.
Speaker 2: Okay, could you say to rock perty, hey, you're kind of making what Patrick Mahomes makes. I don't know if it'll work. Do I want to pay him fifty million dollars? I don't. I don't. When everybody is healthy, when everybody's playing well, he has proven to be a very very good quarterback. But when everybody is not healthy, or you know, Debo's not being great, you don't have McCaffrey. How much longer does Trent Williams want to play? I mean, is your best receiver a guy who got shot six weeks ago, Ricky Pearson Kittle? How long is he going to be at a elite level? If he even is right now, yes, Bowen.
Speaker 3: If Purdy goes from nine hundred and eighty five thousand dollars to forty five million a year, that's a five thousand percent race.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine? Yes, I'm looking for a three to four percent.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'd like a five hundred percent, five thousand percent. I should say five thousand. The preseason Super Bowl odds were it was Kansas City, followed by the Niners. Those were the two favorites by far and away. Then it went Lions, Ravens, Eagles, Bengals, Texans, Packers, Buffalo Bills, and then the Dallas Cowboys for clicks. Cowboys and the Jets had the same odds to start the year, but it was Kansas City plus five hundred, San Francisco plus six p twenty. Then it's the Lions at plus one thousand, followed by the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Seth Wickersham of the Mothership and he joins us now after a very very detailed column talking about Bill Belichick and going to Carolina. I would have told you six months ago, Bill is going to coach again, and it's going to be college. You would have said what.
Speaker 7: I would have said, I'm not coming on your show because that's ridiculous. Yeah, good to see you. I think this is really interesting. And we've all been wondering, like, you know what, where he would land. Right because he made clear to everybody that he was coaching, he was going to coach in twenty fifteen or twenty twenty five, no matter what the situations, he was going to coach. Everyone assumed he would be the NFL. And each week since the start of the NFL season, he and his former Patriots assistants, a cluster of them, all of whom are not working right now, would get on zooms and go through every game, every team, every situation, every roster move, contract scheme trend, the type of like football deep dives that only they could do, and it was all about the NFL. The subtext of it all was what teams are going to have openings, what teams might consider Bill, and what teams would Bill like to work for. And then about halfway through the season, some of that shifted and college teams added onto it where he wanted to dissect certain programs, study certain schools. And I think that when you look at the frequency with which he visited colleges this season, and then the fact that North Carolina really really wants him, it's been a while since he's probably felt wanted to coach football, I think that's why. Then this makes makes it a good to fit. But man, it was I was definitely surprised by it.
Speaker 2: Okay, is he running from the NFL or running to North Carolina?
Speaker 7: Great question. I think a little bit of both. It's unclear whether he would have gotten a job this year. They went through all the scenarios in terms of what they thought he might be able to get. And remember a lot of this is kind of a weird aside, but a lot of the back channel communication that owners might have with reps or camps with protect with prospective coaches has really dried up because of the Brian Flores lawsuit, which is now in its second year. It's still ongoing his discrimination lawsuit. So no owner really wants to get caught telling a coach that he's the guy. So let's look at some of the situations with the Giants on paper that made you know, that looked like a natural fit. But Belichick actually, you know, thinks Brian Daball should continue on as the coach there, and I don't think he wants to take over for day Ball. That Jets are a non starter, the Cowboys, you just don't know if Jerry Jones values coaches that much. The Jacksonville Jaguars could have been a fit, but was it a perfect fit. And then you have college where I think that, like Belichick, there was something about the challenge in doing something new that was invigorating for him. I had no idea about his sort of reverence for the University of North Carolina, but I think that's why it all kind of kind of makes sense. And I think that, like you know, he's been disenchanted and frustrated with like what he perceives is the NFL becoming more political, more crowded at the top, it's harder to run teams, and is somewhat familiar with this thinking said, this is a big FU to the NFL. Going to college. Of course, the NFL gave him a big f you you know about about a year ago when he they had seven job openings and he didn't get any of them.
Speaker 2: But also I look at college now and it's as close as it's ever been to a pro model with you know that the transfer portal is free agency. Sure, there's there's less structure that clutter. You know, you don't have to wait for your draft pick to try to get a quarterback. And I look at a lot of positives here, But what do you think is going to be the one hurdle that he has to overcome to be a great college coach?
Speaker 7: I think schematically he's going to be very innovative, and I think that's going to be really interesting to watch. I mean, we see a lot of sort of performance inflation on the college level with offensive statistics, and I think that he will be a terrific answer to that. I think, to answer your question, it's going to be recruiting. I mean, obviously you have the country and he college football. I think, you know, it has become a little bit of a culture personality type of thing. You see it with Davos Sweeney, you see it. You saw it with Saban, you see it with Deon Sanders certainly, and you know, I think he certainly has that element. You know, I do think that, you know, how he negotiates with an eighteen year old, you know, who wants to come to North Carolina, is considering various options. That'll be interesting Tom Brady of all people, you know, I don't know if you saw the clip, but on Fox this past weekend he was asked, you know, how.
Speaker 8: Do you think Bill will do?
Speaker 7: And you know, his recruiting pitch was kind of like like, we don't even really want you, but I guess if you want to come, we'll see if you can play. I think there's a lot of truth to that, and that will be interesting. But I think that, like his ability to relate with quote unquote today's athlete, I think is one of the underappreciated aspects of his coaching ability. And I think that in two thousand and six he gave he was given an award, like a distinguished Lecturer award at Southern Connecticut, and I went to see it and I thought it was gonna I was kind of terrified because I thought it would be like a two hour press conference, and you know, it was packed with students. There was like four hundred students and he was just awesome and he was inspiring and he was engaged, and it wasn't the sort of trite cliches about how football prepares you for the real world. He actually wanted to talk to the kids about their transitions into the real world were regardless of what their passions were. And I'll never forget, he said, one of the proudest moments in his life is when he turned down a job in finance to go work for the Baltimore Colts out of Wesley and for twenty four dollars a week. I think he's really going to look forward to shaping those young minds and not all the ones who go onto the NFL.
Speaker 2: How important was Don Shula's record.
Speaker 7: I think it was important to him, but it wasn't the thing. It's not the thing that gets him out of bed every morning. And I think that again, he surveyed the landscape. He wasn't sure he was going to get an NFL job, which is still kind of crazy. I mean, let's be honest. You watch him on TV and he's explaining these game management situations that coaches in the NFL screw up so bad, and he's not coaching. I mean, there's something that just seems broken about that when he's tried to explain why Matt Eberflus screwed up the end of the game against Detroit. This is stuff he knows how to do in his sleep, and it doesn't reflect well in the league, but it's the way it is. And I think that, like he needed to make a decision. And I think that in his career, whenever he's been at a career cross roads, he is completely unafraid to take control of that situation and take matters of it into his own hands. And I think that's what he did here.
Speaker 2: Would he have been interested in another coaching job another university.
Speaker 7: I think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, I why didn't other If I get word that Bill Belichick is open to coaching in college, I was surprised. I didn't hear any other you know, whatever they are now. Chancellor's president's going, hey, Bill, what about Boston College or wherever? But he didn't get any other offers. That was Yeah, that was it. Dang, it was, yeah, it is.
Speaker 7: It's It's both kind of how it's been since he was let go by the Patriots, and it's still shocking, but that's kind of the norm right now. And I think that again, I think he really wanted to be at a p wherever it was that he just felt wanted and I think you could tell yesterday, you know, that felt like one of the best days of his professional life.
Speaker 2: More likely, in three years, North Carolina is in the playoffs or Bill Belichick is not coaching in college.
Speaker 7: I would go with the former. I would go with the former. I mean, I think he's going to be a terrific schematic coach. Will he be able to bridge the gap in the talent level that you see between like the very top programs in college football and kind of the mid tier ones. We'll see, But I mean, you know, nobody is better at taking a collection of people. Nobody's been better over the past twenty five years at taking a collection of talent and turning it into a real team. And there's no reason to think he can't do that at the college level and actually have a lot of fun doing it.
Speaker 2: I know you have a book coming out, and it's what American King's a biography of the quarterback available now for pre order that'll be coming out this next September. Is that right?
Speaker 7: Don't worry, I'll bug you.
Speaker 2: You'll know, Okay, Okay, At what point do you start working on your Belichick North Carolina book.
Speaker 7: Oh man, do we do we really have to go there? I mean, are my bosses listening right now?
Speaker 2: I got the title chapel bill, I mean we.
Speaker 7: I might I might pass that on to our friend, right Thompson. I might just let him do it.
Speaker 2: I don't think Belichick would want right Thompson to go in and do a deep dive on his personality, you know how right. I'm not sure Thompson is.
Speaker 7: I'm not sure he wants to see either of us there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great stuff. Really enjoyed the column. Thank you, Seth, and uh we'll talk to you next year with this book.
Speaker 7: Always always great to see you man.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen.
Speaker 2: He is Ron rivera former NFL head coach, won a Super Bowl as a linebacker for the Bears, and was on the call last night west Wood Won Radio NFL analysts the Rams and the Niners coach. Great to have you back on. How would you sum up what happened to the Niners last night?
Speaker 9: Well?
Speaker 8: I think what's really happened to Niners. They're losing the battle of attrition. You go back and look at all the injuries that they've had to sustain. They honestly are shell of who they were last season. They really are. I mean, what they've tried to do in terms of, you know, win football games with a limited roster. You know, credit to them for trying, Credit for the coaches to have doing the best they could. But what you've also saw is you've seen the Rams getting healthy at the right time. And I think that's one of the really big keys for this football team is the Rams are playing good, solid football, especially on the offensive side. Defense is starting to come together. Got a good young group of guys that are really contributing on the defensive side, and the young coordinator's done some pretty neat things. As far as Chris Shula was concerned last night, I thought he matched Kyle pretty well.
Speaker 2: How dangerous are the Rams if they get into the playoffs.
Speaker 8: I think it would be very dangerous because I think they're young enough to not know with just enough veteran leadership that's been there before, especially with Matthew Stafford. I think that's what makes them dangerous. Plus, I think Sean McVay is the heck of a football coach.
Speaker 2: Would you pay Rock Purty the going rate for a quarterback.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'd be a little bit concerned with it. You know, he's a solid quarterback. He does some really good things. He really is, to me and my estimation, a game manager, And by that, I mean he's a guy that as long as he protects the ball, takes care of the football, and takes what's there for him, he'll be very, very efficient. And he does have the ability to make plays when you need him to, Okay, And that's one of the things that I really like about him. I thought last night he pressed a little bit. I thought he did. I thought he tried to be too pinpoint accurate instead of just cutting the ball loose. A couple of times he underthrew a couple of balls that should have been could have been caught for big, big plays, and it you know, it's one of those things that when you don't have all your tools, all your weapons, you feel like you've got to make all the plays.
Speaker 2: The Niners window closing or closed.
Speaker 8: Oh, I think it's I really just think, you know, the hard part for them is They've gone to three straight NFC championships. There's been three very long years for them, and I just think it's caught up to him a little bit. I think as far as being retooled for next season, and that really that's what they're looking at. You got to be looking to start looking ahead, you really do. You go to look at how are we going to get this corrected? How are we going to rebuild this? You know what's going to take to get these guys back on the football field. For the most part, when you look at the guys that they just didn't have this year available.
Speaker 2: When did you realize something was up with Devandre Campbell when he was walking off the field.
Speaker 8: When he was walking off the field, I just trying to figure out, okay, wait a minute, And it didn't dawn on me that he hadn't played yet and he had been their starter and I think he's their second leading tackler for the year. And I think that was a really tough foot pill to swallow because you know, for the most part, you know, you do the things you did, you have the year that you had, and they just put Drey back in there, and I think that really got to him. A little bit.
Speaker 2: What would you do if you were coaching him in the moment.
Speaker 8: Well, in the moment, if I'd seen him start walking up, as as a coach, I'd have called him over. I'd have talked to him before he left.
Speaker 2: But if he says he doesn't want to go in, which I think Kyle said that he told him to go in for Dre and then he says he didn't want to play.
Speaker 8: Well, then there's obviously an issue. I didn't hear that part, but yeah, I'd have an issue like that right now. I mean, to me, that's conduct detrimental. You're gonna have to sit down and have a really long, long discussion with him. Uh, it's you know, it's one of those things that you got to understand in this game, the way this game's played. You got to do with best for the team. And at that point they just thought that that was was best for the team.
Speaker 2: But I wonder, is this a must cut situation euation if you're the head coach, like, do you have to send a message I mean yours over almost.
Speaker 8: You suspend them?
Speaker 2: Just suspend them, okay.
Speaker 8: Because again, at the end of the day and kind of looking at where they are Yeah, you can send a message by cutting them. You can all send a mention by suspending them for the rest of the season. But at the end of the day, you can still get value for him. He's a good player. He's shown that he's capable suspend them and trading.
Speaker 2: He's Ron rivera former NFL head coach and was on the call last night Westwood one Radio NFL analyst. If I gave you the Lions or the field in the NFC, who would you take.
Speaker 8: I'd still take the Lions, I really would. They're a big, physical football team. I think if there's one if there is one one potential weakness that I see the Rams have right now, it is it is their run defense. I think that's a little bit of a soft spot for them. They're still there's a bunch of young guys and that's what it is. I love the mentality right now that the Rams have. I mean, it is solid and stout. It's built around Sean But you can't deny what Dan Campbell has done. And it's kind of interesting that he went for it on fourth down and did it send a message to everybody else. I think that that's one of the big things that you sit there and you look at it. When all they had to do was kick the field go and then play defense. He went to kill it, to take the knife and twist it. That's pretty much what.
Speaker 2: He did well. The thing I would be concerned about when you say that they're vulnerable to the run is you have Saquon Barkley with the Eagles, and you got Josh Jacobs with Green Bay, and the chances are you're going to be seeing one of those teams, both of those teams. If I gave you the Kansas City Chiefs or the rest of the field in the AFC OH, I'm.
Speaker 8: Still going with the Chiefs. I really am. The reason I am more than anything else is inspite of everything they've gone through this year, they still find a way to win for the most part. The other reason, more so anything else, is home field advantage. As long as it goes through Kansas City. I'm sticking with Kansas City.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: If Buffalo had stayed kept pace with them, and then somehow Buffalo had ended up with home field advantage, I would go with Buffalo. I think home field advantage the FG is going to be very, very huge.
Speaker 2: How do you if you were going to explain to somebody who had never seen Patrick Mahomes play, how would you describe that?
Speaker 8: You know, he's he's slippery, he has a little bit of wiggle and he and he has the ability to make something out enough. He really does. And I think that when you watch him do these things, you say, how do you do?
Speaker 9: What? Was?
Speaker 8: And it's always to me about he understands where things are, where people are, and that I think is one of his superpowers as a quarterback is that when you understand and know where people are supposed to be, if you're in trouble, you can always get to that point. And I do think some of the things that Andy designs always has that out for him. Somewhere. It's somebody that's curling on the backside that's coming back to the quarterback. Okay, when quarterbacks look into his right, that X receiver is running a comeback, and as soon as Patrick gets in trouble, he just keeps coming back to Patrick to present that target.
Speaker 2: Do you coach somebody like that less?
Speaker 8: No, I think you coach somebody like that more in terms of information. You don't tell him hey do this or this, they say, hey, this, just always understand that if you're in trouble, this is where this guy is. If you're always in trouble, you can look for the checkdown, you can look for your tight end. Those are the things I think that you coach more in terms of, Hey, these are the things that you do if this happens. These are things you do if that happens. And it's interesting to watch because with Patrick you see that and you see him go through his progression seeing that things that certain things are happening, and then he turns and goes away from everything else.
Speaker 2: Sarah quarterback that he reminds you of, Wow.
Speaker 8: You know Tom Brady had a little bit of that, but he just he did what he did. Tom didn't have his mobility, but he had that ability to get to where he needed to get and throw the ball there. That that I mean, that that's I think it's really terrific. Joe Montana is another guy that was under pressure. He was just cool and calm. You know, he's Joe cool.
Speaker 9: He really was.
Speaker 8: I mean, you you see these these these these iconic quarterbacks who just in the playoffs seem to be the guy that you want on your team. In a two minute drill to give you a chance to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's something about it there, but there's things that aren't teachable, not coaching, Like they just have something I don't I don't know what that is, but they all the great ones seem to have whatever that DNA is.
Speaker 8: You know, it's funny. I mean, I've heard Tom Brady talk and and and when you listen to him talking, it's really it's all about winning. It's all about being prepared to win. And that's what I think it is about. Their preparation has always put them in position to be successful. And that's some of the things that you hear about Patrick Mahomes is the way he prepares. You listen to when people talked about how Joe Montana you should be prepared, you know, listening and watching some of the things that Troy Aikman did about always being prepared. You know, those are the things that I think really separated is not just what they do on the football field, but what they do before they get on the football field. Well, those are people that I think are highly successful.
Speaker 2: What was your reaction to Bill Belichick going to North Carolina.
Speaker 8: You know, on one hand, I think it's brilliant. I was on Good Morning football the other day and that had come up, and it had just come across the wire that he was in negotiations, and I thought, man, that's brilliant, and it goes, what are you talking about? I said, well, think about this with the direction college football's head. And I don't know if you saw this some report that there's some billionaires are talking about buying into college football teams. Well, if that's what's going to happen, you're looking at the creation of what potentially could be truly the minor leagues to the NFL. You get enough of these billionaires at want to come in, and let's say you get thirty two of them, they buy thirty two teams. Now, all of a sudden, what.
Speaker 9: Do you have.
Speaker 8: You have a mini NFL. You've got two conferences, You've got four divisions in each one of those conferences. You set it up just like that. There's your feeder program to the NFL. And Bill Belichick's getting in on the on the top floor. Apparently I'm seeing on the bottom floor working his way up. Apparently, in my opinion, he's working with somebody else. Somebody else has talked to him about doing that potentially. And again I'm just I'm just guessing, but I think it was brilliant. I really do. I think it's a new challenge for him. I mean, he's you know, he's conquered pretty much everything you can in the NFL, except for the total wins record, but for the most part, when you win as many Super bowl as you had, have the success you've had, why not try something different? Why do not do something a little bit that isn't isn't expected.
Speaker 2: Would you do it? You're ten years younger.
Speaker 8: I personally, if the right situation came up, I probably would. But I still have something to prove right now in the NFL. So if the opportunity to go back and do something in the NFL, I think I would do that first.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you, coach. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 8: All right, good talking Dan. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w APP.
Speaker 2: Dylan Gabriel Horegan quarterback Heisman Trophy finalist and joining us. Are you in New York?
Speaker 9: I am, I am.
Speaker 5: I'm in a hotel room and excited. Are you been in New York before I have one, but definitely not this type of way.
Speaker 2: Okay, what do you want to see? You got to you gotta walk around a little bit.
Speaker 5: I'm actually gonna be asking some of the New York natives here to kind of show me around.
Speaker 9: Of course, Central Park Times Squares right down the street.
Speaker 5: So check that out. Last right, and then this morning made a little way to the Nike store. So got a little bit of a series.
Speaker 2: Okay, what are your expectations on what will happen on Saturday night at the ceremony?
Speaker 9: What it'll be is what it'll be. I think, you know, whoever wins man, that's such a big blessing.
Speaker 5: But just to be here as well, just to connect with those guys, that's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 9: And should we get to enjoy New York together, So it'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Okay, But the camera is going to be on you. So when they call Travis Hunter's name, just you know, just make sure that you're smiling, like, yeah, you know, you got invited. You're playing for maybe a national championship that's more important than this, so just so you know, and do we have the outfit already picked out of what we're wearing tomorrow.
Speaker 9: We do, we do. I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna style it up a little bit.
Speaker 5: I think i'll catch some people by surprise, so not to type it up too much, but you know, I'll make sure I make a do it to do at least from a fastest standpoint.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the thing. This will be played years from now, So whatever you're wearing, just understand, ten years from now, they're going to say, oh, remember the Heisman ceremony when Dylan Gabriel wore that in a good way hopefully, Well.
Speaker 5: Let's just say, let's just say it's not going to be like the NBA in two thousand and five with those OtherSide.
Speaker 9: Seats, so I definitely won't help me that one. So I think I feel pretty good.
Speaker 2: Okay, when you guys were watching the selection Sunday show and you saw kind of where you guys were going to be, I'm not sure if you had the same reaction I had is damn they put some tough teams in front of you. If you guys are going to win a national title, felt like it was a little unfair. Dylan, how did you and your teammates feel.
Speaker 9: Told me, out of our control.
Speaker 5: I think naturally, it being the first year, there's definitely gonna be some things they'll have to work on.
Speaker 9: But in terms of, you know, our team and.
Speaker 5: What we got ahead of us, I think it's going to be a lot of fun, you know, being able to be in the Rose Bowl. Like I said, we can't really control you know, what teams we do play, but you know we're in the playoffs, so there's gonna be a lot of great teams and you look forward to whatever matchup.
Speaker 9: Comes your way. But like I said, I think there.
Speaker 5: Will be some conversations down the road and some cleaning up in that sense, but you know, it is what it is, and we're excited either way.
Speaker 2: You predate COVID and nil. That's how long you've been in college. Take me back to that freshman year, that quarterback compared to who you are now?
Speaker 9: Are you saying them old?
Speaker 2: You're college old?
Speaker 9: I am college old. No.
Speaker 5: I'll say this, twenty nineteen was so different from what it is today in college football. You know, I think the innocence of college football was still there. The you know, remembering when you know you're living off the Coche semester to semester, which honestly was decent at the time, but compared to what it is now, you just have a lot of appreciation knowing that I was able to go through kind of both sides of that.
Speaker 2: Okay, what was the money like your freshman year? What's the money like now?
Speaker 5: I can tell you. Freshman year, I can't tell you now, but freshman year it was like twenty five hundred dollars a semester. Okay, so you're, you know, five grand a year, and of course there's money for rent and stuff like that. But and then you go to fast forward and I think I'll leave that to everyone else's imagination. But you know, my software year going through COVID, you know that interesting season, and then you know, utilizing the portal, which is what I've done in my junior year and even up until this year, and then nil. So I've kind of seen it all in that sense and kind of had the fun of pre all this thing happening, and then you know, enjoying it post as well.
Speaker 2: You don't have any more eligibility after this year, right.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 5: I could probably ask for it and see, but that'll be declined real fast.
Speaker 2: And that leather jacket you got on looks like it does that nil leather jacket.
Speaker 9: It might be Uphill a Nike.
Speaker 5: A great man, but uh, you know, I'm always rapping the Nike swoosh and you know, just being at organ there's only one way to do it.
Speaker 2: But when you go to the Nike plant or Nicke Nike headquarters, can you just walk in and just say I got a shopping cart and pick up stuff.
Speaker 5: Well, this morning we did walk in at Nike in New York. So, like I said, I'll leave that to your imagine. But they take care of it.
Speaker 2: Oregon will win the national title if.
Speaker 5: Prepare the right way and take care of business. You know, we got to be president too. I think coach Lanning said it the best, and that's why I love playing for him, is you know it is winner, go home, but you got to take care of business right where your feet are, you know, in the present moment. I think it's so easy for a lot of teams to look forward, you know, and not only to the first game, but the semi finals, the national championship.
Speaker 9: It's like, hey, you got to take care of business right where your feed are.
Speaker 5: You know, we got the Rose Bowl here January one, and I think we stay present, we prepare the right way, then the rest will.
Speaker 9: Take care of himself.
Speaker 2: Congrats on the season, have fun on Saturday. Hair looks good, Hair looks good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I got one question for you. Okay, how was the Happy Gilmore Too filming?
Speaker 2: I heard yep, I shot that last Thursday and it was it was. It's fun. It's a you know, Sandler's put me in a lot of his movies, so yeah, and this has got an interesting plot twist that I didn't think that you would have with Happy Gilmore Too. Just saying it'll it'll be a big blockbuster. But but it's fun. It's you know, whenever you're around Sandler, it's always a good time.
Speaker 5: Well, if you ever need action, oh in a movie, I'm I'm working on my acting skills, so I would I would love to if you needed one. You know, my my acting skills are subpar of that average. But uh, I think maybe I could get some coaching from you and they can make an act.
Speaker 2: Are you acting now.
Speaker 9: In this moment?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: No, but if you need me to.
Speaker 2: Cause I'm I'm acting now. How about this? I want you to act. Okay, here you go. I want you to act happy for Travis Hunter tomorrow night. I want you to act. So when I say I'm Chris Fowler and I'm up there, and I say, and the twenty twenty four Heisman Trophy winner, Colorado's Travis Hunter.
Speaker 9: What if asdon w when's it? Then I gotta act?
Speaker 2: You got to act there too.
Speaker 9: I got you.
Speaker 2: Wait, you missed your queue to act. The camera was on you. You miss Oh damn. I don't know if you look happy for him? Okay, you can't vote for yourself. Who would you vote for for the Heisman Trophy?
Speaker 9: Oh I'm going to get some heat for this one. But I'm gonna say Aston gdenty. And I say that.
Speaker 5: Because me being at the group of five months, knowing you know the challenges that come with that. Of course, I played against Aston this year. I think he's a talented individual. You know, his story is unique, and what he's been able to do is is pretty impressive. And you've me in a spotsor I think this this may be a quoted but no, I do think you know.
Speaker 9: He's extremely worthy of it and a guy.
Speaker 2: Who's well, you don't have to worry about facing Travis Hunter though, So like if you said, oh, I wouldn't have voted for him, I'd vote for you know, Genty, and then you had to play Colorado, and then Travis Hunter is going to say I'm going to pick off a couple of your passes. So you don't have to worry about that until you get to the NFL.
Speaker 5: I know, maybe then we'll maybe see each other. Then you gotta watch your words now that you don't know who you'll play.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I know, I know. All right, Well, uh, you know what act like a Heisman finalist when you have your first game whoever that's going to be against. So that's either Tennessee or or Ohio State.
Speaker 9: I like that. Yeah, Hey, we'll see, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Congrats, have fun in New York.
Speaker 9: All right, that's thank you.
Speaker 2: That's a Dylan Gabriel