Speaker 1: I'm Tom Keen introducing you to the new Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg. The show brings you short episodes five minutes or less, covering the stocks making gains and losses in today's training. Subscribe to Stock Movers on Apple, on Spotify, or anywhere you get your podcasts. Now. Here's a sample of the latest episode from our team at Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 3: The Stock Movers podcast your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 2: Well, let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today with us as Bloomberg News Cross Asset reporter Emily Graffe. Oh, she's here in our Bloomberg BusinessWeek a studio. What is on your radar today, Emily?
Speaker 4: Okay. So it's definitely a more rotational type of day because when you look at the sector level, who were staples, Utilities, energies, those are the sectors that are outperforming, whereas infotech is one of the worst performers in the SP five hundred. When you look under the hood, I'm watching Maderna, it's down over seven percent to the lowest level since March twenty twenty, which is never a good no.
Speaker 2: I remember, and that was for the news that you know, you got one of the shots working for the COVID.
Speaker 4: Vaccine right right, So that stock is down thirty percent year to date. Specifically today, we have a number of vaccine makers falling after a top regulator at the USFDA left, which is I guess casting uncertainty about the future of vaccines, the future of regulation. The regulator was Peter Marx, and he was overseeing the review and approval of vaccines and other medications. He actually cited friction with the views of Robert F. Kennedy Junior. Wall Street is saying this is kind of grading uncertainty and it's a significant negative for biotech and biopharma at least according to BMO Capital Markets. Those analysts said in the notes were positive on the confirmation of this new FDA commissioner, but politicization of the FDA runs counter to the agency's mission. But the stock is down a lot, maybe a little bit of just again fear and uncertainty about this regime change at the FDA.
Speaker 5: Interesting in biotechs and looking at the spider s and p biotech ETF down about four percent. So, I mean, Maderna really taking it on the chin. But it's the group overall, right, a little bit nervous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's right. I'm also watching shares of Celsius Holdings, the energy drink maker, going in the other direction, going in the other direction. So right now it's up about seven percent, called six percent highest. It did hit its highest level since September though, after an upgrade from Truerst Securities. Their rationale for this was this caught my eye, So they said they upgraded the stock from buy to hold, saying that the company is now going to have a stronger position in the women's segment of the energy drink category.
Speaker 5: Why are you looking at me?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean you're a woman, I'm a woman.
Speaker 2: Do you drink this stuff? I just wonder.
Speaker 4: So they acquired a Lani new which is an energy drink brand. I never heard of it. I googled it. The cans are pink. They had partnered with Kim Kardashian a couple of years ago.
Speaker 5: Will be that easy that just because it's a pink can, we're going to drink it. I'm just going to.
Speaker 3: Tell you no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. Anyway, though the stock is higher, and it seems like this upgrade in this Wall Street note is the reason why, or there's you know, some correlation here but.
Speaker 5: Extent really well, this year, that's like thirty five percent.
Speaker 4: A lot of people drink Celsius. I mean I see men and women. I don't, but like I see every flavor at my local bodega, and I do see both people drinking, men and women drink.
Speaker 2: Okay, this year you said what thirty something thirty five percent down fifty Last year that said that said it was up fifty seven, twenty three, thirty nine percent in twenty two, and then you go back to twenty two twenty it was up close at nine hunty percent.
Speaker 4: So yeah, this is like a I mean, I guess if you're trying to make a new energy drink brand, the legacy ones, Red Bull Monster, I mean they are pretty masculine, so.
Speaker 5: You're branching out, right, they're branching out. Yes, stock I should say is almost twenty percent or twenty percent of the float is shorted, so there's you know, there's some negative tone there.
Speaker 2: I know there is an IPO on your Radar Today.
Speaker 4: Okay, news Max, I can't like not bring this up because the stock has skyrocketed. This company IPO today moved as much as six hundred eighty three percent higher in the debut session. This is a conservative media outlet. People want the shares. I guess it's it's reached a good today IPO. Well, it's I mean, it's kind of hard to deal. At least if you look at Bloomberg News's coverage, there could be some retail buying in the stock. It has kind of been moving around though it was halted for trading for volatility, Yeah, which is what you would expect if a stock moves up over six hundred percent.
Speaker 5: I mean I did at ten right, opened at fourteen, and it's now at sixty six and change. It's it's really kind of interesting to track on the Bloomberg right because it's kind of this when.
Speaker 2: It's seventy eight dollars.
Speaker 5: It's pretty wild dollar marketing right now.
Speaker 2: So so you know, the message I think maybe for the folks who did this IPO is there was so much demand, maybe they left some money on the table pricing it.
Speaker 4: Could have priced it higher if you look at what Bloomberg's Bailey lip Schultz has written today he's our IPO reporter. He said, individual investors appear to be pushing into the stock. The company is among the thirty most actively traded on Fidelities platform, which is one of the biggest brokerages for retail clients.
Speaker 5: And I don't think it's making any money. I guess we'll have to wait and see our mania for a loss making cable public company. Yeah right, so we'll wait. So that first earnings is that firstly interesting?
Speaker 2: Everyone knows media is that it's a business.
Speaker 3: Of course, look at us, a.
Speaker 5: Good bunch of stocks. Thank you so much, really appreciate it. Bloomberg News crossouse At reporter Emily.
Speaker 3: Graffeo the Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.